8.1

1. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Battlefield is renowned for its epic multiplayer experience- where simple rounds can turn into memorable action packed set pieces. However, it has never shined on the single player front. Whereas COD had its time to shine with the original Modern Warfare, Far Cry is built around solo play and Valve's Counter Strike doesn't even bother, Battlefield has never supplied a great campaign. That changes with Bad Company. Well, it changed because this game has been out for six years. Since then we've had a better campaign with Company 2 and forgettable ones with Battlefields 3 and 4. But anyway, back to BC1.

The story sees you playing as Preston Marlowe- a soldier who is shifted to the loose card military unit of Bad Company. There he meets three other army misfits who have also taken part in some disturbing events that led to their transfer to BC. Going after a deadly enemy, the group grows to become a band of brothers, the character development being handled pretty well. The main catch is the soldiers eventually become rogue when they discover a crate of gold that could set them up for life. It's an interesting twist and one that works to differentiate this game from other military shooters like Modern Warfare. While the game won't win any awards, this is one of the best FPS campaigns ever.

The levels are open ended and most of them contain objectives that you are free to complete in any order. There are plenty of collectibles and multiple weapons to find that will surely bring completionists back for more. The graphics themselves are nothing revolutionary, but for a 2008 game this still holds up well. While the destruction is nothing when compared to BF3 or 4, it still functions well and the character models and animation still look nice. The environment variety is also impressive. Sure there are a few war-torn battlefields, but there are also jungles and mansions. The visual variety is impressive and just as cool as the mechanics.

While many FPS fans will be stunned by the unique scheme, it mostly suits the game. While knifing doesn't feel quite right and the adrenaline pumping mechanic is more realistic than gradual regen of health, some of the gameplay devices just aren't well implemented enough to be successful and satisfying. The shooting itself is brilliant. There are a great amount of weapons and each one responds differently and accurately. I loved some of the assault rifles and the grenade launchers and projectiles are unique and cool. There are also plenty of vehicles around that can be used to traverse the environment. This is useful, especially as the levels are massive. Each vehicle controls well which is always nice in a shooter.

The single player may be great and it certainly makes up for the mistakes that DICE made in the past, but we all know that multiplayer is where Battlefield shines. It certainly doesn't disappoint. The large scale battles and greatly sized maps make for a unique multiplayer experience and the modes are also exclusive and well designed. Gold Rush is an interesting take on a tried and true mode and it actually suits the feel of the game. While Levelution isn't prominent here (Bad Company 2 is where it's "pioneered"), the gradual degradation of environments is always cool and it certainly gives us a change from the static lands of the CODs. Battlefield feels very different to any other shooter and nowhere is that more obvious than in the online section.

Bad Company isn't without its faults- shoddy mechanics, a short story and some technical hiccups certainly impact the quality of the final game. But what it is is a nice, polished FPS that combines a well written plot, with some great gameplay and some highly entertaining multiplayer. It also serves as the successful revival of a series that had long since fled console gaming in favour of the superior PC machines. It is the success of this game that is responsible for Battlefield 3 and 4 and that is what we should be thankful to DICE for.
  2. Aug 12, 2014
    Really disappointing and unmemorable campaign that focuses far too much on "bro" humour and vulgar language. Multiplayer is fun, with destructible environments being the highlight, but not worth it overall.
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    The story of BC1 is riddled with humor, and the characters are likable, making the singleplayer worth playing (mind you, it's short). Why they couldn't carry these things over to BC2 is beyond me. Instead, BC2's story and tone was so serious, I asked what happened to the characters we knew and loved. Hopefully, they'll restore these in BC3. Online is fun and people still play it (yet BC2The story of BC1 is riddled with humor, and the characters are likable, making the singleplayer worth playing (mind you, it's short). Why they couldn't carry these things over to BC2 is beyond me. Instead, BC2's story and tone was so serious, I asked what happened to the characters we knew and loved. Hopefully, they'll restore these in BC3. Online is fun and people still play it (yet BC2 online is even better). Pick it up, it's quite cheap now, and a worthy game in the awesome Battlefield series. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    i remember when this first came out. everyone i know was playing cod4. i asked all my friends, have you heard of bad company? no no no they all said. 3 years later, they all asked me the same question i asked them. and im like man you guys dont even know. never played online. story mode was all i needed for this game. i loved the free roam with all that ammo and all the war going on. justi remember when this first came out. everyone i know was playing cod4. i asked all my friends, have you heard of bad company? no no no they all said. 3 years later, they all asked me the same question i asked them. and im like man you guys dont even know. never played online. story mode was all i needed for this game. i loved the free roam with all that ammo and all the war going on. just hated that there was no blood, but im a gamer and not a critic. Expand
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    Played the Battlefield Bad Company 2 first and it was Good, so in comparison with this one, Bad Company 1 has good controls also but the fact that you don't get to use a secondary weapon wasn't cool! and every time you get your heath low you got to crack a huge syringe on your chest to recover your full health, to me that was unnecessary and annoying. Still don't like the characters veryPlayed the Battlefield Bad Company 2 first and it was Good, so in comparison with this one, Bad Company 1 has good controls also but the fact that you don't get to use a secondary weapon wasn't cool! and every time you get your heath low you got to crack a huge syringe on your chest to recover your full health, to me that was unnecessary and annoying. Still don't like the characters very much but it has a good story. I like the maps on this Bad Company big enough a lot to explore but to me COD still a better choice for a FPS game. Expand
  6. Oct 21, 2012
    Good singleplayer and good multiplayer although rather difficult. Nice empathy with the game's characters. And that's all. Played it and liked it. End of story.
  7. Jul 9, 2012
    While the game can't quite hang with Call of Duty like several people expect it to, it is still a good game. An original story and good graphics make this a game you should definitely pick up. The only fault to me is with the sound. The guns sound a bit too much like Army Men.
  8. Jan 13, 2012
    While it may be lacking a few elements (e.g. longer campaign, splitscreen/co-op), most of the levels are fun and replayable, and the Multiplayer is likely to be great (I haven't played it yet). Now, in 2011, it's cheap and is still of a good standard.
  9. Dec 16, 2011
    This is the best game in a freaking century!!The gameplay is great and so are the controls.Its addictive while the multiplayer will keep you hooked on for hours on end!!
  10. Aug 24, 2011
    Not better than the great second part, but very innovative and clever. Bad Company introduction makes good attempt on satisfaction, DICE seriously took their works to a more wide perspective.
  11. Aug 24, 2011
    I have played every major battlefield game up till this point and I decided to give BFBC a try, since the last game I played in the series was BF2142 and i had an amazing time playing it. I was shocked and disgusted with the game i was presented with, though i was already somewhat expecting a mediocre game due to the fact that it was a console FPS, I didnt expect it to be this bad whenI have played every major battlefield game up till this point and I decided to give BFBC a try, since the last game I played in the series was BF2142 and i had an amazing time playing it. I was shocked and disgusted with the game i was presented with, though i was already somewhat expecting a mediocre game due to the fact that it was a console FPS, I didnt expect it to be this bad when compared to its bigger brothers. The weapons were all bad, you could not use the sights on a third of the weapons, plus the multiplayer fights were pathetically small, with only a handful of people being able to duke it out at one time. not only that, but the controls were very clunky. the Singleplayer campaign is a joke, its short and has no real meaning since BF is a series all about satisfying multiplayer experiences. I guess the main reason why BFBC was such a disappointment was because the dev team for the original BF series quit DICE right after finishing BF2142, before DICE started on BFBC. BFBC is a faint shadow of what the BF series is, you can see a couple things in it that remind you of the great old games. its an insult to the Battlefield series that this game even has the Battlefield name on it. Expand
  12. Jan 31, 2011
    The AI for your allies in the campaign is terrible. They are like pets that follow you around and do nothing. The game is still fun since it seems to be balanced around you doing all of the work.
  13. Oct 12, 2010
    BF bad co is a great game totally worth money. ill pay $500 for that game.i dont know any one who wouldnt want this great game
  14. Sep 24, 2010
    Very very nice game, is worth buying just for the multiplayer
    The only reason/s it does get a 10 is because, singleplayer is a bit too short and you're teammates in singleplayer don't really help you out that much
  15. Oct 21, 2012

1. The extreme polish evident in the final product makes it all worthwhile. Both single- and multiplayer shine - at long last redeeming DICE for the crappy bot-fests offline players had to endure in previous games in the series. [July 2008, p.82]
  2. It may lack the finesse in the single-player that some similar titles have, but it does a great job of making you feel the part as you roll into combat with guns blazing, your squad hooting and bellowing behind you. Add to this the multiplayer which is well rounded and realistic, yet big on the fun, and you have a great experience which could ultimately have you playing for months and months.
    In spite of its sluggish opening, Battlefield: Bad Company goes on to produce one of the most entertaining first-person shooters since last year’s "Call of Duty 4."