Bayonetta PlayStation 3

7.7

1. Jan 16, 2016
    Game looks like overdosed DMC4. Storytelling is crap. Worst dialogues. PS3 edition has big technical problems. Poor graphics (for year 2010 of course), unstable framerate.
  2. Sep 5, 2015
    I rate this game based on DMC3 & DMC4, so maybe it is not fair, and it is just personal.
    - Combo System. I just don't like it. You get your combos by mixing triangle and circle, and the rhythm of input. Yeah I hate it 'cause I suck at it. I just cannot get the right rhythm, so I feel frustrated when I can't control the action.
    - Enemy Super Armor. Nearly every enemy has super armor, it
    - Enemy Super Armor. Nearly every enemy has super armor, it is so hard to control them. Yes you can cancel an animation with dodge and trigger witch time, I just feel unresponsive when fighting lots of super armor guys who are immune to normal attacks.
    - Enemy Combo. Yes enemies have combos and are very deadly, take half of your life with one combo. It is like fighting two DT Virgil at the same time.
    - Mana. You lost your mana when you get hit... Hell if I lost mana in DMC I will lost my mind.
    - Fall damage. This is an action game, let me focus on fighting instead of jumping like super Mario.
    - Item Price. I hardly bought anything with one playthrough.
    - QTE. Damn it, I hate QTE when fighting bosses! Especially when you miss one, the boss regain health... what the hell.
    - Last two bosses. They try to give these two bosses epic ending, but when you fail, you just die for no good reason, Jesus...
    - The SHOOTING chapter. Oh come on, it maybe fun when you first play it, but I was expecting a game I can play dozens of times, this chapter is horrible to me. As an action game, you shouldn't design for fun, you design it short and clean so we can repeatedly play.
    - Skip the cutscene is a pain in the ass
    - Climax. Another reason I don't want to challenge this game repeatedly. I just prefer neat action games.

Everything I complained about this game, you might love about it. So if it is offensive to you, I am sorry.
  3. May 15, 2015
  4. Feb 22, 2015
    Personally, I disliked the too much cinematic content. Cinematics is the 60% of the game and I had to wait everytime to fight... on the other hand, its a good game to relax and play. Nothing more
  5. Dec 23, 2014
    This game just let a big WTF? It looks fantastic, controls and feels well but the "story" is just one mess. Most of the cutscenes I was like "what? who? how? when?". I seriously didn´t understand a thing. Another big minus point is that even the levels don´t look the same they play the same, you clear a area of enemies and destroy the barrier with a kiss only to go to the next area thatThis game just let a big WTF? It looks fantastic, controls and feels well but the "story" is just one mess. Most of the cutscenes I was like "what? who? how? when?". I seriously didn´t understand a thing. Another big minus point is that even the levels don´t look the same they play the same, you clear a area of enemies and destroy the barrier with a kiss only to go to the next area that is blocked by a barrier... Expand
  6. Aug 12, 2014
    Enjoyable but not to my personal taste. Baffling story and eroticism with plain weird characters/enemies littered throughout the game. It's completely over the top, but sometimes those liberties are taken too far.
  7. Aug 4, 2014
    First off this game is fantastic.....when played on an Xbox 360 (and soon also on Wii U).
    That said, Platinum made an extremely stupid decision not caring how the PS3 version of this great games turned out.
    To be fair, Nex Entertainment were the team who ported this to PS3, but for Platinum and Sega to have allowed this to be released in the state that it was in is ridiculous.

Thankfully they seem to have learned from this stupid mistake with Vanquish and MGS Rising
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    A very good hack and slash game, the story is alright, but tends to get abit akward at times, the characters are however good and i felt that Bayonetta was a real bad ass lead, and that Luka was a really good supporting character.
    The game holds a really cool combo system which and im sure any hack and slash fan will find it interesting.
    I however felt that the game had to many endings.
    I however felt that the game had to many endings. Don't get me wrong, there is just one ending, but there where at least 3-4 four times i believed that the game was over and that i've finally beaten it, just to show that there is another boss awaiting just after the cut scene, the game can be quiet unforgiving even at the "Normal" setting, but anyone who likes a challenge should be up for it.
  9. May 16, 2014
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay:
    Bayonetta is a fast-paced hack and slash game. It is very reminiscent of the Devil May Cry series, but has more visual flair when it comes to weapons and combos. There are a few similarities to other games in the genre, such as roaming around to search for items, collecting treasure, using finishing executions, etc. However, the "Witch Time" gameplay mechanic is what truly makes this game standout from most titles. It is performed by dodging enemy attacks right before they connect. While in "Witch Time," time slows down and you are able to inflict more damage than usual. It adds some complexity to the gameplay, while implementing a fresh mechanic to the hack and slash genre.

Story:
    In Bayonetta, you play as the title character, who is an Umbran Witch. She has been awake for 20 years, but is unable to remember her past after a 500-year slumber. She has "one half of the eye" in her possession, a pendant that is vital to witches. Her informant, Enzo, learns that the other "half" is located somewhere in Europe. She arrives in the fictional city of Vigrid, where she fights many enemies, including the Cardinal Virtues. Bayonetta's story is decent, however, the presentation is horrendous. Every character, other than Bayonetta, has little to no character development. The cutscenes do not add to the game, but merely serve as a way to confuse the player even more. By the end of the game, you will probably be asking more questions, rather than know all of the answers.

Graphics/Appearance
    Graphically, Bayonetta is an average game. The game runs poorly on the PS3, with constant frame rate drops, screen tearing, and excessive loading screens. However, the developer offered a solution post-release. At the the menu screen, there is an "install" option, which will install the game onto your hard drive. Unfortunately, the install is 4GB in size. If you don't have enough memory, you will be stuck playing a terrible port. It is Absolutely Unacceptable to release a game in this kind of condition! The game is not unplayable, but the issues WILL be noticed. I know I've been harsh thus far; but I would be lying if I said the game didn't have amazing art direction. Bayonetta's style is impeccable! From Bayonetta's combo animations to extravagant boss designs, creativity was not spared throughout the development process! Bayonetta is very unique in comparison to most video games.

Pros:
    -Challenging Game
    -Fluid Gameplay
    -Unique Art Direction
    -Creative Special Executions

Cons:
    -4GB Install. If you don't have enough memory, you will be playing a game filled with constant screen tearing, frame rate drops, and loading screens
    -Horrendous Storytelling. Little to no character development, bad cutscenes, and confusing storyline

Verdict:
    Bayonetta is a good game, unfortunately, it has many glaring issues on the PS3. Buy the 360 version if possible. Casual gamers should stay away from Bayonetta since it is a very challenging game. Fans of the Devil May Cry series should definitely buy this game! If you are looking for a difficult hack and slash game, Bayonetta is your best option!
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    Varied and focused play was not sufficiently rewarded by the combat system, rather I ended up using the same simple combo (punch, kick, punch) for much of the game. It's too bad since the dodge function adds a lot to the gameplay, and it is a reminder of how similar all the attack combos are in effect. I also didn't get enough game currency to buy most weapon and technique upgrades,Varied and focused play was not sufficiently rewarded by the combat system, rather I ended up using the same simple combo (punch, kick, punch) for much of the game. It's too bad since the dodge function adds a lot to the gameplay, and it is a reminder of how similar all the attack combos are in effect. I also didn't get enough game currency to buy most weapon and technique upgrades, instead I barely had enough to buy potions and bigger health bar. So after one 12-hour playthrough, the game still seems a bit out of my grasp, and yet the gameplay is largely so repetitive I don't have the appetite for a replay. But the 3d models and concept work stand out compared to other games, and the campaign is filled with creativity and original inspirations. The puzzles and mini-games deserve special mention, as they are of extraordinary quality for what is usually seen in action games. After completion on normal, a gallery of 3d models unlocked and I took a few minutes to study the work, which was impressive. Also, although I didn't like the main character much, the supporting characters were surprisingly memorable and entertaining to follow. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2013
    great game. on the xbox 360 that is. on the ps3, its still a great game. with bad framerates, long loading times. just a bad port overall.

6 on the ps3.
    8 on the xbox 360.

nope i'm not a microsoft fan.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Altough not that bad, there are better action games to play.
  13. Feb 21, 2013
    Bayonetta is a over the top action game, and puts the emphasis in "over the top." The graphics feel like there is a foggy texture over everything and are out date. The Xbox 360 version is much better graphically, but nothing else is drastically different between the consoles. The loading times are also a drag, the game loads for everything. Saving, opening up the menu, and even picking upBayonetta is a over the top action game, and puts the emphasis in "over the top." The graphics feel like there is a foggy texture over everything and are out date. The Xbox 360 version is much better graphically, but nothing else is drastically different between the consoles. The loading times are also a drag, the game loads for everything. Saving, opening up the menu, and even picking up items all require a loading screen. The gameplay makes up the whole game, and I am glad it is so good. The gameplay is innovative, just when you think it is getting stale it throws something new at you. The gameplay is at its best when the screen is filled with enemies and you have to take them all out. The bosses are also fun to fight as they tower over you. The story is sometimes a little too crazy and over the top, but it is original in a unique universe. In the first few minuets of Bayonetta you will see how crazy this game is. If you like the first few minuets, you will enjoy the rest of the game. If you do not like it, I would suggest another game. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    A button-smash game with a pathetic story and character development.
    It sucked.
    Only horny teenagers will like this piece of crap.
    Play other games because this one doesn't deserve your attention.
  15. Sep 26, 2012
    Solid combat and very stylish but just couldn't get into it.
  16. Dec 15, 2011
    How can I review a game which is so solid, gameplay wise, but is so unbalanced that it just becomes frustrating?. This is the craziest game I'v ever played, though apperantly since I never had the chance to play Killer 7 I suppose that's not saying much. But for anyone that had been playing way too many cliched action games, this one is completly cooky by all standards. Bayonetta has theHow can I review a game which is so solid, gameplay wise, but is so unbalanced that it just becomes frustrating?. This is the craziest game I'v ever played, though apperantly since I never had the chance to play Killer 7 I suppose that's not saying much. But for anyone that had been playing way too many cliched action games, this one is completly cooky by all standards. Bayonetta has the best control shceme I'v ever seen in a game, I'm not joking. You can control Bayonetta's character whichever way you wish. It's sad to see then that the balance issues and overdone concept bring this game down. The game is hard, very hard, to the point that it becomes cheap. The game shows bayonetta as an awsome invincible character, but when you start playing you realise that it was all lies. The enemies are very tough and you are required to have perfect instincts if you desire to pass a stage without getting the "you suck" award. The characters are in a universe of their own, and the dialog shows it very well. The story develops slowly and getting better near the middle. underneath the flashy cutscenes and odd presentation, you get a solid action "Devil may cry" game that has perfect controls and, most importantly, fun. But the game never gives you the time to enjoy it because as you continue it will become more and more frustrating. I loved Demon's souls, but this game is hard in a stupidly annoying way. If this seems like your cup of tea you should try it, you might find it to be much better then what I'm describing. Expand
  17. Aug 20, 2011
    I so wanted to like this game. Sadly though, this was the most disappointed Iâ
  18. Jun 5, 2011
    If you're like me and hate games with time limits, you will not like this game. That's even more annoying than the pure button-mashing that is the crux of the game. Very disappointing game.
  19. Oct 6, 2010
    I did enjoy this game overall, ie. I don't regret playing it. But, for me, it has to be the most over-rated game of the current generation.

It is quirky and has some very good levels and sequences, particularly towards the end of the game (I loved the Afterburner-style 'shoot 'em-up' level), so in this regard I at least respect the game, and I can understand why people love it. But I just found it, on the whole, rather tedious.

Firstly, there's the music: I swear that the same song gets played over and over and over and over...to the point where it gets stuck in my head, and haunts me to this day. Music is a useful tool in games for immersing the player and indicating progress and development, both story-wise and gameplay-wise. Having teh same music on repeat makes you feel like you're stuck in some pseudo-disco time vortex that not even Bayonetta's command of space-time can help you escape from.

Secondly, there are the supporting characters, all of whom are either boring, weird, annoying or a combination of all three. I couldn't work out where they really fitted in, or why they were there. They just seemed like unnecessary extras. The worst of them was the 'New Yoik' Italian-American stereotype who, at the end of each level, you can hear exclaim 'Oh whadda day!' as a sort of ornament/trophy spins on the screen. You have to hear it yourself, because I can't find the words to explain how weird it sounds, and I certainly can't offer any explanations as to what it all means.

And thirdly - extending from my previous gripe about the characters - there is no story. Well, there is, but I sure as Hell can't tell you what it is. Sometimes, no story is not a problem, if the game is purely gameplay-driven. But Bayonetta clearly thinks story is important given the amount or cutscenes there are. As another user-reviewer has said, they shouldn't have bothered.

Strip all these away and all you are left with is your standard Hideki Kamiya hack 'n' slash and, save for few exceptional sequences and levels, very repetitive gameplay. Maybe I'm a philistine when it comes to Kamiya's work, but I when stripped down to her bare essentials (pun very much intended) Bayonetta isn't anything special. It's just Devil May Cry with an injection of estrogen.
  20. KostasI.
    Feb 25, 2010
    Ok for the record i gave this game on X360 a full 10. This game is just a sloppy port over the X360 version. It runs in half the framerate, it has insanely long loading time and it loads for even the most basic of things and the game can become quite fuzzy with its downgraded visuals. I am overly forgiving because this game is just a skilled hardcore gamers wet dream and despite the Ok for the record i gave this game on X360 a full 10. This game is just a sloppy port over the X360 version. It runs in half the framerate, it has insanely long loading time and it loads for even the most basic of things and the game can become quite fuzzy with its downgraded visuals. I am overly forgiving because this game is just a skilled hardcore gamers wet dream and despite the severe problems plaguing the PS3 version its still quite fun. A patch update can fix almost all of these problems but such a patch is not coming except the one patch that allows install on your hard drive. If you have both systems then pick the X360 one, eyes closed. If not then try before you buy. Expand
  21. BARDEM_
    Jan 23, 2010
    This game gets a solid 5, its been done before, we are not getting anything new. Okay I have just played the demo but that was enough for me, its to cliche with no substance and for all you sonic lovers **the rings** are back, Sega you disappoint me, let the**sonic rings** go.
  22. MichaelH.
    Jan 12, 2010
    Why a 5 out of 10? because it's a sloppy Ps3 port. Hey SAGA it's 2010 do something right or don't do it at all.
  23. Shakeel
    Jan 12, 2010
    Bought this becaues i love devil may cry series but this game just sucks. It looks like this game was made by a horny teenager and the gameplay is just shite to much stuff going on and i cant even keep track of the character. not worth 40 quid only worth 20 instead buy darksiders which has a better story and pacing and blows bayonetta out of the water.
  24. Maxplank
    Jan 10, 2010
    It looks like the game was designed by a horny 14 year old teenager. The character design the color usage is crazy, the screen always seems to be cluttered with random sh*t (flowers, butterflies etc.) and those stilettos i don't think its easy to walk in those let alone fight. The game is outright Stupid.
  25. AnthonyC.
    Jan 9, 2010
    I do not know who is paying the "professional reviewers" but this game does not deserve anything above a 5 out of 10. The plot is pathetic which is saying something given that it being such a fantasy game i had no expectations of it being realistic (and just because it is Japanese does not excuse the ridiculous dialogue, plot and development). It is also not fun to play. Avoid it like the plague.
  26. TimC.
    Jan 6, 2010
    This game was so hyped and for what? If i want to see women objectified i have the internet, and do not think that is not what is going on. It seems the game expects you to ogle and leer at her every chance you get and you are practically begged to actively position her into sexually suggestive poses. The voice acting is horrible and the music will make your ears bleed. The story is This game was so hyped and for what? If i want to see women objectified i have the internet, and do not think that is not what is going on. It seems the game expects you to ogle and leer at her every chance you get and you are practically begged to actively position her into sexually suggestive poses. The voice acting is horrible and the music will make your ears bleed. The story is horrible and the bipolar nature of the characters is rather idiotic as they go from serious to cheesy before your eyes. I will admit however that the combat is very good but this is hampered at times by the camera, when Bayonetta is hidden from view by a large enemy and you have to fight blind.All in all a dissapointing game and if you really want to play it, hire it, don't buy it. Expand

Bayonetta is the kind of game that makes me appreciate why I love videogames. It really defines a time when things were not taken too seriously and the focus was more on style and gameplay than anything else.
  2. Bayonetta on the PlayStation 3 is simultaneously gratuitous, ludicrous, and great, but it's unfortunately held back from its potential by a number of technical issues.
  3. Bayonetta is a refreshing and somewhat surprising addition to an already extensive catalogue of action games. A must-buy for any anime gaming fan, and an excellent representation of the genre.