• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 15, 2013
    I saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if something could have been different succesfully completing an action...please. I wonder if the game has been made for an higher IQ tier than the average of the gamers here complaining is.

My only complaint goes to Aiden's movement which I find it could have been slightly improved, everything else is a true masterpiece and I'm gonna rate this game 10 out of 10 to help close the mouth to "closed mind" ones.

After a second playthrough I have to admit it completely, David Cage is a visionary genius and I invite every "professional" non "oiled" reviewer to take a look at this interview http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/04/david-cage-beyond-two-souls maybe this could clear their view on the "consequences" of actions and on the "why" people playing this game could feel to actually watch a movie while instead their are playing a game, is an interview in which Cage explains why every playthrough is a set piece of experience and why someone playing the game could experience something that other ones playing the very same game doesn't, the basis on which I can legit BS every "review" complaining about a game which is way too sophisticated to be understood at a first glance, this game can be played ten times without digging everything's inside, simply DO NOT LISTEN TO DETRACTORS AND LIVE THIS EXPERIENCE if you have an open mind and enough sensitivity, you won't regret it, just don't expect a classic FPS or TPS nor compare this game to more usual ones, here the skills are not everything and are put under test in a different way, hormone-driven teenagers, FPS lovers and basic minds should avoid it.

Thanks D. Cage, I must repeat myself, you are a visionary genius and this game have just only one BIG defect, sooner or later it comes to an end.
  2. Oct 9, 2013
    I have completed the game already. What can I say, it was an enjoyable adventure. The issue here is the QTE-control model which doesn't give neither freedom nor clarity ot simplicity. I truly believe they should have allow different actions more or less effective while pressing in the different directions of right stick. But the story worth it. My personal grade is 8+ for setting, story, characters and the world of the game. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    Looking at reviews, I can honestly say I've never seen more divisive reception for a game. When it comes down to it, Beyond Two Souls is a game that you either lover or hate.
    Some have said that the story is crap, I disagree entirely. Now yes, I will concede that I wish it focused more on the dramatic bits and interpersonal relationships rather than the cinematic explosion moments, but
    overall I felt this was an incredible story, even though at parts it was told a little bit clunky.
    It sets wide open for a sequel, and I hope we get it.
  4. Oct 11, 2013
    Awesome story but if it was sorted right I would've understood more and it would be more touching, Best graphics I've seen on PS3 but the loading may sometimes take a while and my game froze at some points probably just for me who knows. Combat can be hard at first but you can get used to it nothing else I didn't like the game is pure awesome
  5. Oct 16, 2013
    This is beautiful, awesome and compelling game! What game have the reviewers been playing?
    No this is not your average game, but it has great graphics, great story telling and pretty cool and unique game play.
    At first you will need to get used to the controls but after the first 2 chapters you are used to it (at least i was)
    I never thought this was going to be a game i am going to
    LOVE, like sure but LOVE... What i didn't know this game had an unique and very cool game play and the story just sucks you right in.
    I am going to be honest i never played Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit but i am sure going to play them now.
    If you love a game with a compelling story and a totally different way of playing than the 'mainstream' games, this is totally a game for you!
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to. This has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played and one of the best games of 2013. Simply ignore the bad reviews those people don't know what a good game is about. Beyond two souls was a great expierence if u loved heavy rain then beyond two souls is for u. This is a must have game for every die hard gamer of a PS3. Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2013
    7.4 by metacritic? Are you kidding me? This game is awesome! This is a masterpiece by David Cage! second in a row)! It is so touching and gives you more emotions then all callofduties and gtas together! It looks amazing, it keeps you involved for hours and it makes you say WOW! every 5 minutes. I don't know what person you should be to give less than 9.0 to this game. Probably a person without PS3 or some #iveplayeddemoanditsnotfun wierdos... No offence. Quantic Dream rules! Bravo mr. Cage! Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2013
    Beautiful graphics but just a terrible derivative story, long winded and contrite at times. The sequeuences through out the game are just repetitive and almost forced most of the time. Fragmented and lost in a sea of cliches and predictable storylines it tries to be something more than what it could have been....Very dissapointed as I loved Heavy Rain...
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    I really loved the Game,great gameplay,awesome story,perfect characters and a interactive Game,the best
    This Game it's the revolution of heavy rain,great game
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a fun interactive game that gives you more freedom than you think. I think it's one of the best games of the generation. If you enjoy games with a great story and likable characters than this game is for you. I feel this is a GOTY contender.
  11. Oct 9, 2013
    Outstanding,amazing gameplay,extremely amazing story,Great ending,this is the perfect game.If you liked heavy rain you will love this it is a 100x better.Another outstanding game quantic dream well done.Also very emotionally gripping I felt I was in the story and you love or hate each character,you choose your path you create the story.
  12. Oct 13, 2013
    Overall a solid game. Lacks a little in the gameplay but because of it's amazing plot I can overlook that. Ellen Page's performance is mesmerising and I found myself playing for a good 4 hours strange without looking anywhere else but at the screen.
    Many reviewers have criticised the game's story telling as they found it, 'inconsistent.' At first I would have agreed with them but actually
    placing the scenes in chronological order yourself helps and actually clears many things up. This game can not and should not be compared to games like Assassin's creed, COD etc. This game is more of a narrative game rather than gameplay based.
    A must own in my opinion.
  13. Dec 9, 2013
    The illusion of choice while forcing the uninspired story down a predetermined path masked by genuinely good graphics and actual actors does not make a good game. This linear visual novel banked everything on the story with little of anything that could be considered gameplay elements (i.e. a smattering of button prompts) and failed to deliver a unique experience or any actual gravity from the choices you make throughout the game. A more appropriate title would be "Beyond: Wasted Potential." Expand
  14. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  15. Oct 10, 2013
    Very weak title. For a game there is basically no gameplay. For a movie, it is too slow and story not interesting. For a interactiv movie, there is not much of interactivity. (this is caused by the story structure, where you actually play the future parts before you can play the parts before them, that could affect them without linear structure the interactivity is really not working). And as a tech-demo, there are texture pop-ups and framedrops including some short (0,5 1sec) freezes caused by the background loadings.
    I really liked the Heavy Rain. But the Beyond has basically all the bad aspect of the Heavy Rain. But unfortunately it is missing to parts that were great in Heavy Rain (interesting story and interactivity that could affect story few scenes later.)
  16. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otro juego. Expand
  17. Oct 9, 2013
    Played a few hours with the missus last night. She had great fun picking apart the horrible writing scene by scene. There is nothing fresh, it’s all lifted from horror/paranormal movies. It’s really just Heavy Rain with a faster pace, and ALL the dialogue plot holes (ever). Ellen Page hams it up and a lot of lines just aren’t delivered well. Whole thing plays like a tutorial, so clearly Quantic Dream have learned nothing gameplay wise. That’s always been an issue with their games most interactions are devoid of context so there really isn’t gameplay or challenge. The controller icon is forever there to tell you what to do because you’re not going to know! The Last of Us showed the future, not this interactive movie tripe. It achieved all the “emotion” and was still a highly engaging game. With that, imagine the possibilities if Telltale had this budget. David Cage needs to play The Walking Dead and understand that it’s got the right amount of interactivity for this kind of thing down.

Oh, and visually it isn't a patch on TLOU or GTA5.
  18. Jan 7, 2014
    If you look at the 10/10 reviews for the game on Metacritic, you see such lines as "maybe a interactive novel", "Best cinematic game ever", and "interactive drama". I'm quoting this because I want to make it clear that Beyond Two Souls is not really a game in the traditional sense, and I'm not trolling by giving it a 0. What this is is a $60 movie. For my money, if I want to watch a movie, I'll pay about 1/10th the price to see it in a theater or 1/20th the price to rent it. I don't see the advantage to using video games to simply tell a story. I do realize that some people enjoy this "game", but I just don't understand why it had to be a game at all. Could it not have been enjoyable as a movie? Did it have to be a $60 title? I'm giving it a zero, though, because I didn't even think the story was very good. Expand
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    With Beyond: Two Souls, Quantic Dream have taken away the rough edges of Heavy Rains interactivity and provided us with a beautiful story, world and performances from some of the film industry’s best actors. Offering a truly interactive cinematic experience.
  20. Oct 9, 2013
    Many people are going to hate on this due to it's lack of action. With that being set this is perhaps one of the few games I feel on the edge of my seat with. I feel strong emotional ties with Jodie as I watch her grow up. The graphics are great, but the only bone I have to pick is that during a few action scenes it is much too dark for me to see. However, it is realistic. Many people won't like this game because of the lack of action but if you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game Expand
  21. Oct 9, 2013
    First of all, all the negative reviews are focusing on the fact that in this game you are an observer which i find positive, you are the observer but also get to decide on a lot of stuff she has to deal with.. Visually stunning, at some scenes even photo realistic. Ellen Page is a very good actress and managed to get me interested in her character. Also the story is not presented in a non logical way, because if you have a brain you can pick up the pieces and bind them together and it all makes sense. This game is not perfect, but if you like David Cage's previous work you will love this too, i haven't been so immersed in a game in a long time.. Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game interesting story, excellent graphics great game play and one of the biggest pluses is that it's different more like an interactive movie or novel definitely worth full price and looking very much forward what quantic will achieve on the ps4
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    First off, Beyond is more of an interactive story than a traditional game. The interaction is limited, and alot of people may not be into this type of "game". If that's the case, you'll hate it. However, if you understand what it is and what it tries to do, then Beyond is incredible. Great graphics, compelling characters, interesting story. It drew me in emotionally and kept me engrossed from start to finish. Ellen Page does an outstanding job as Jodie. I found myself genuinely caring about her and her journey. Its truly engaging watching her grow and deal with her gift. There are a couple minor control flaws, and a couple instances where you're not quite sure what you're supposed to do right away. These are quickly forgotten though as you get swept away in Jodie's life. If you've never played Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain, give Beyond a try. Expand
  24. Oct 11, 2013
    The story is utterly beautiful that made me tear up several times. Page and Dafoe are incredible. This game is a masterpiece. The gameplay isn't for everyone and I don't fault anyone for not liking it. I completely fell in love with it. A little into the summer i said that unless Beyond completely blows me away then The Last of Us is gonna be my Game of the Year. Well guess what? Beyond totally and utterly blew me away. Only complaint I have is the story would have been better in chronological order. Expand
  25. Feb 2, 2014
    Do you want to play a game where you pack a bag for a level, push left or right to roll in bed and then push two buttons to put your feet on the floor. then this is the game for you. You can push wrong buttons all the way through and still complete. Have powers that can go through walls 10 feet away but not 1mm away. Walk in only one direction, your decissions don't matter charaters forget later. Take over peoples bodies but only certain ones. This game is completely about the smug Actors (Ellen Page and William Defoe) and just like there movies over hyped and very disapointing. Expand
  26. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices and it truly kills you to do so because each and every character is so relate-able and the dialogue is flawlessly written. This game has been truly robbed of the status is deserved by the critics, after playing it, what I'm reading is nothing but an absolute abomination.
    Amazing work Quantic Dream, ignore the bad reviews and keep making incredible games, your originality and spectacular attention to detail is beyond what most developers neglect to do successfully these days.
  27. Oct 13, 2013
    Hard to know that most negative reviews here made because of popular critics. Game is very good. Great story that raise interesting themes and gives tons of different emotions. I just had a great pleasure when i played this game. And now i only hope that David Cage won't stop make games only because of critics and negative.
  28. Oct 12, 2013
    I think the problem with reviewing something like Beyond is that some judge it as a movie, others as a game, but it really isn't either exactly. from a purely mechanical point of view, the game is very conservative and you might not get the same satisfaction as playing a game like call of duty. Yet, the game has shooting mechanics, and stealth sections, and some sections where you make choices. This is for the most part a guided experience, however you will be able to craft certain situations in different ways to vary up second playthroughs. beyond has all the trappings of any modern day gaming experience, but it is how to takes the player from A to Z that is different, unique, and worth seeing for anyone interested. Expand
  29. Mar 31, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a bloated mess. Amidst technically nice graphics and well implemented voice work, there are tons of technical issues, a disjointed, seemingly randomly confabulated narrative that revolves around the main character doing seemingly random things at different points of her life, which never really add up or pay off to anything. When the "movie like" experience you're paying to "play" (and I use that term very, very loosely) doesn't even deliver on being a well crafted story, you know that someone, somewhere royally screwed up.

The story here revolves around Jodie, played by Ellen Paige who has a special ghost-like entity named Aiden attached to her since she was a child. I'll be the first to admit that this is an interesting premise, and I'd also be willing to admit that it works well inside of Beyond, if it weren't for the game's complete and utter disregard for narrative consistency, or even making contextual sense.

Scenes pass from one to the other, and it almost turns into a bad variety show. The problem is, this isn't intended to be comedy. The game takes itself so seriously, even when it's showing Ellen Paige, ghoth'd out playing the guitar, befriending the homeless, and becoming a secret agent, that it turns into absolute comedic gold. There's no inkling of anyone crafting a well developed, fully realized narrative, here. Considering Beyond is a narrative based experience, this is inexcusable.

I can accept that it's a movie like experience. I didn't play Beyond expecting fully realized gameplay mechanics. The mechanics that are here are pointless, though. You can literally set the controller down, not respond to any of the quick time events at all, and the game will still progress regardless. I did play Beyond expecting a fully realized narrative, and I was sorely disappointed.

I realize I keep pointing back to this, but the story is the basis for this entire game. Beyond isn't about solid gameplay mechanics, interesting locales or any sense of achievement. It's about taking part in its narrative. Being a somewhat controlling factor of it. Which is all well and good, but the narrative here is so weak, that I can't recommend this title to anyone. It's certainly not a game in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't qualify as having a decent narrative.

It's derivative, it's pretentious, it's bloated, the exposition leads to nowhere, and simply put, it's not worth your time or money. Beyond: Two Souls has zero redeeming qualities.
  30. Oct 9, 2013
    What an incredibly original, emotionally engaging, story. The graphics are amazing and the voice acting is top notch. I found the combat mechanics to be a step up from it's predecessor Heavy Rain in this game you are forced to pay attention to what is happening around you rather than just looking for what button you have to push. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great story driven gaming experience. Expand
  31. Oct 9, 2013
    A nice movie, a really bad game, I mean, one of the worst ever. Because Beyond: Two Souls isn't a game, you just press buttons and see the story happen. In "storytelling" aspect, the game is a 9/10, but Beyond it's a GAME, not a movie, I don't want to watch a game, I want to play it, and well, David Cage really need to change for the Movie Industry...
  32. Oct 10, 2013
    This game has one of the best stories I've ever experienced, if you liked Heavy Rain you'll love this game. The game-play is a lot like Heavy Rain so if you expect anything else you might be confused.
  33. Oct 11, 2013
    One of the most brilliant stories. I love the feel of the game and how it feels like your living inside a movie or life of someone undergoing the situations potrayed in the game. Love it!!
  34. Oct 11, 2013
    Great game I love it. Awesome graphics for a PS3. That game was awesome. Everybody, who did any work on this game is a great person. I hope there will come more games from Quantic dream
  35. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls gives the opportunity to live a different life and reflect on their own I can not find words to express the emotions of all who feel but I will try .
    David Cage You have created yet another exhibit of art. No idea what you went through in your life, but Beyond: Two Souls are exactly reproduced in all the emotions behind the screen I am deeply sorry for you and your
    family You have created something of genius that defies adequate criticism. Bravo !
    Themes of good and evil, heaven and hell life and death elevate Beyond: Two Souls to the top of the works created by man. Amazing music and amazing acting. Incredible story and depth of thought touched the conscious and subconscious and our humanity .
    Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls is not a game, it is an art and he belongs in the Louvre next to the Mona Lisa This is the best digital creations in the history of mankind. This is better than the movie and what ever played. It is something of an absolute genre. Absolute genre a genre that defies criticism of subjective thinking covering all known genres into a whole and is not one of them. Heavy Rain evokes emotions on the mental level. It's a drama that has to be experienced felt. evaluate every look, every gesture, intonation facial expressions lips, face, body and to empathize into the role The mystery of art and it is Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls continues the narrative genius It is the model of interactive art Surely only antique dealers pay attention to gestures and hints of Beyond: Two Souls. We are given the opportunity to try on roles a person with unique abilities but not a superman but a sort of a black sheep The animation is very thin because of what this side of the screen there is a discomfort of being in the company of ordinary people because Jodie had a normal childhood Empathize with her ​​the first few seconds when the doctor called her on the edge of the lips smiling experiment subtle hints and genius thus making it clear that he sympathizes with the girl and that kind of thing does not happen the first time. Jody reluctantly follows him to leave the artificial room, where she was born and grew up. Normal office furnished in the form of a child And this kind gestures game presents over and over again Every emotion Jody and the world around her is transferred to us on this side of the screen. And this genius. Like Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls to experience and feel with every fiber of his soul. The maximum score and one of the absolute standard of the genre. Bravo
  36. Oct 12, 2013
    This Interactive Experience is near perfection. I have always been a fan of the the art created by Quantic Dream. To be able to feel the emotion created by this story as if i were actually there. The story was amazing. The interactive interface i found confusing at times where moving the analog stick in the correct direction. This could have been just me and user error. I give this 9 thumbs up. Creations of Quantic Dream should be a genre of their own. Any Negative reviews i found where chalked up the the users misconception and understanding the difference between a game and an interactive experience. Expand
  37. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is spectacular in many ways. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is awesome, especially as Aiden and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe did a astounding job in this game with the performance capture and voice acting. The story is well-written and intense and caught me off guard several times. There may be parts that are boring to some people but for others that's just part of the experience. Quantic Dream did a great job with this game and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next game from this company Expand
  38. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two souls has a very great story, great characters and I was sad then the game ended, just because the game was ending. I would say, it is probably one of the best games in the last few years (and I have played a lot of games). It does also focus on the emotions of the characters. The graphics is also great for a PS3 game.
  39. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond is actually the first game which I finished in only one day. Not because it was too short, but because I simply could not stop playing it... I couldn't resist the urge to know what lies "beyond"!
    What Quantic Dream, especially of course David Cage and Ellen Page, achieved with the PS3 is simply amazing and breathtaking. Beyond takes the medium "Game" finally to the point, where we
    can say, that games can be considered a intellectual art form to which we should pay the same amount of respect then to good movies and books...
    If you appreciate movies like Donnie Darko, The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind or 2001: Odyssey in space, you will LOVE Beyond, because it is the best possible combination of these 4! Pure Poetry and Perfection, Biggest Respect and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who made this possible!
  40. Oct 13, 2013
    If you are passionate about gaming, and it's industry, Beyond is absolutely worth your time and money. It delivers so much quality content that it's easy to forgive its mishaps. If you open yourself up to what it has to offer then you will become a willing participant in a story that tugs at the strings of your humanity. This is not a moral consequence tale, it is a story of choices. You can learn from your actions and choose to change. At each turning point you are given the option to grow or slip away. The combat is cinematic and the action scenes are stunningly captured. However, all this quality does come at a price. Certain levels will force you down linear paths, and the limited options for approaching some situations (especially when in control of Aiden) are never explained, which can be imposing. Unlike Heavy Rain, there is little price to failure. This may result in you taking a different detour to your next key plot point but ultimately you will still end up there, though you may not be happy with the toll it might take on Jodie or the characters that surround her.

Enjoy the ride.
  41. Oct 9, 2013
    I really really wanted to like this game, but I was very disappointed with how poorly this games story was handled and how weak the gameplay was.
    The way the story was broken up into different pieces and mixed up made everything so confusing for me to follow and the gameplay was just not good, I made so many mistakes with the slow mo segments with Jodie because I could not read her
    movements half the time.
    Most of the other characters were weak and I had less options to that of Heavy Rain.
    One of the most negative things about the game for me was that the game just wouldn't work anymore, I stopped playing last night and got up this to morning to play and the game just would not load the level I left off at, I restarted the game and still would not work. The game was broken for me.
    The only positive things about this game for me was the performance of Ellen Page and of course the great visuals of the game.
    I'm sad to say this is likely my final PS3 Exclusive game I'll play before I get a PS4 and I have already returned it for a full refund.
    I hate to say this but Beyond Two Souls is on my Most Disappointing Games of 2013 list.
  42. Oct 20, 2013
    Well, sorry, but i can't understand when reviewers say something like "lacklustre story" or "limited gameplay". Yes, story have it's problems and holes but this game made me attached to it's characters, empathize em and actually feel some emotions toward what happening on my screen. And last game (not the game as a whole, but final scene) that did it for me was Metal Gear Solid 4. Also after Heavy Rain you expect what? Duke Nukem 3D? Beyond is the same kind of interactive story as Heavy Rain were and i'm totally fine with that. Lower the game score because it's not like in your wet dreams? That's kind of strange thing in my eyes.
    As for the visual part of Beyond i don't think it's possible to pull out something more amazing from old consoles. I played Beyond right after i finished single part of GTA 5, the game was met by many reviewers as a graphical masterpiece that managed to do incredible things with that limited resources this gen consoles can offer, but i can say that Beyond is far better in my opinion. Yes, it's has it's own problems, low res textures here and there, but character models looks really amazing (while in GTA 5 i literally run away from strip club after i saw that dreadful dancers models and animation). I'm really impressed.
    As for story, i found it's good overall but i have i lot of moments that made me wonder how is that even possible. First of all i can't get some reviewers with their "What starts as an emotional, exciting story, ends up being a grotesque tidal wave of paranormal crap". Huh? It's starts with a little girl that have an invisible friend that can choke people to death. Nothing paranormal here, more along. I just can't get it. The whole story is about that, about how people look at that, about how they react at that things. Form a random boy on a street all the way up to Pentagon. But i have to be honest i have my share of problems with game story. There were a few moments i was like "why it's so random? If only i knew this before i have done things in a different way!". In the end it's explained why story is such a mess, but still you'll probably have this problem on your first walkthrough. WARNING SOME MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD! Most questions i have to some kind of weird Aiden behaviour. Looks like story sometimes forget that he is absolutely independent entity just "chained" to Jodie. Remember that Chin...oh shi~...that Whateverstan base? When Nik killed guard that was under Aiden control? And Jodie recoiled for some reason. I don't get why. Well, i could understand if Aiden get angry for that (that could be unpleasant for him) but Jodie that have nothing to do with that? Also on one hand he can stop Desert Eagle bullets fired from almost point blank range, deal with entire SWAT team prepared for combat (ok, they can't do a thing to him, but can do to Jodie) but cliche thing like baseball bat or assault rifle butt hit from behind is like ultimate move against him (worked 3 times out of 3 for me). Why? Or sometimes he is like "Whatever i'll act like i'm not even here". Like all the times while Jodie is fighting for her life Aiden must be flying around munching popcorn like "What a show! Oh my!". Otherwise i don't see a reason why he can't help. Like with first "zombie" in first condenser lab. Jodie fighting on her own, but few minutes later Aiden killing like 10 of that "zombies" (and even more entities)? Also i can't get that homeless part. Yeah, freezing on a street. Even worse, this "oh taking money to survive from ATM is such a bad thing". I can't even imagine that after 10 years of doing all that dirty jobs on CIA, including assassinations, after your country treat you like after almost everyone treat you like ****...I can believe in Max Payne story, where in situation like this you will go forward with guns blazing against all odd till the end, because you have nothing to lose at all, but i can't believe in that. Or at the end. Cole: -We are going to die anyway. Everyone:-Yeah, we get it. A minute later Cole falls and entities kill him. Jodie:-Noooooo, Cole!!!!11 WTF, aren't you get it that it's a one way trip anyway and that doesn't matter if Cole dies sooner or later? END OF SPOILERS. So as you can see there are a lot of holes and weird things in Beyond story (and i tell you just a part of it), but somehow that didn't spot me from enjoying this game so much.
    As for gameplay. Well, don't expect much. It's almost identical to Heavy Rain: QTEs, some item hunting and sometime game allow you to choose what to say (truth of lie, get angry of stay calm and etc). Not much but i wasn't hoping for something more anyway. Maybe you can say that game is short (it took me about 8 hours to finish), but it kept me playing non-stop. I started it in the morning and just after i finish it i realise that it dark outside already and i haven't eat or drink a thing for the whole day...
    So i strongly recommend this game to everyone who liked Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. 9/10
  43. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're looking for something different, Beyond: Two Souls is that. Anyone who played Heavy Rain should know what kind of game to expect from Quantic Dream, and if that's your kind of thing, then Beyond is worth looking at.

Visually, Beyond stuns in almost every way. The motion capture and facial expressions blow me away at every turn, and helped to pull me into dramatic scenes. The painful expressions on Ellen Page's face captivated me during Jodie's trials and tribulations, grabbing hold of me and never really letting go until the end, when I put my control down and just said "wow." I did notice that the animation of objects in the world suffered, in comparison to the mocap of the actors, though it didn't happen often, it was enough to make me raise a brow to the archaic-looking animation, which was in the same frame as the rest of this beautiful game.

The gameplay for Beyond is varied and, at times, unclear. Going from Jodie as a child to her as a young CIA operative present very different aspects of the same game, which don't always work. As a CIA operative, you can use Aiden to scout out the path in front of you, an occasionally deal with a pesky guard. What is odd, however, is how the game lets you kill/possess certain enemies with the entity, and others you can do nothing about. There is no indication as to why this it, but it just is. The scenarios are easy to figure out (possess X, shoot Y and Z and then X), but it's frustrating that why you can't possess anyone is never explained. The sneak mechanics are also odd, giving you the choice to leap over a concrete road block, but not a broken wall of the same height. Outside of those missions, the controls and mechanics of the game all work brilliantly, from using Aiden to eavesdrop on conversations or to mimic the emotions of Jodie through destruction.

The story for Beyond is, at first, confusing. Until the last 20% of the game, the story line jumps from Jodie's childhood to her as a young woman, with the only constant being her relationship with Aiden. This chaotic approach doesn't make much sense until the last few scenes of the game, but I promise you, it will all come together if you have the patience to see this game through.
    The story is filled with powerful, heart-wrenching moments. I was reduced to tears on three different occasions in the game, and there are many moments that will pull on your heartstrings as you watch the highs and lows of Jodie's life play out on the screen.

I picked the game up at the same time as a friend yesterday, and when I asked him during the evening where he was, we were both at the same part if the game, but with very varied story lines. His Jodie was aloof and cold to the world, while mine put her trust in the people that looked after her. This lead to each of us having a different experience with her character and the game in general, and this is something that I'm looking forward to on my next playthrough.

Overall, Beyond: Two Souls is an ambitious and unique project with a confusing storyline until the end of the game. For those who are interested in taking a step outside the norm for a video game, you can be treated to a delightful, story-driven experience, with powerful performances by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. Beyond isn't for everyone, but for anyone who plays more than Call of Duty and Madden, this game is worth taking a look at.
  44. Oct 13, 2013
    Heavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and the B movie dial is turned to full blast. Here we have a lowly scientist turned head of some ridiculously gilded defense agency; a mega gate portal to another realm--built despite disastrous results from the first such and equaling a betrayal to Jody by said scientist; laughably bad security at an arctic submarine facility which holds ANOTHER mega gate portal; a boss fight with a non-American military dude who really hates Americans (and women, which Jodie is both); and the real capper, the turning of a likeable character into a madman who would hold the souls of his wife and daughter in torment because he “loves” them too much to let them go. This last insult Cage attempts to justify in the silliest manner by showing that this man got drunk after their deaths. Well Boo-hoo. That being said, most videogame stories generally suck. Heck, Heavy Rain’s sucked, and it’s on my top five! What does that leave us? Gameplay and characterization. Let’s cover the gameplay. I was actually skeptical from the start when Quantic Dream showed us the right thumbstick only QTE’s, and for good reason. Heavy Rain’s QTE’s were awesome, but it seems like these were ditched because someone felt that seeing face buttons appear on screen was distracting. So now instead of knowing how you screwed up you’re left scratching your head--I suppose, as someone else has said already, this could have been fixed by having more than one direction registered as a successful move, or they simply could have displayed the direction they wanted me to press. The problem is that you couldn’t fit these controls to Heavy Rain because the fights in that game were more desperate and dynamic, it wasn’t simply, “Move stick toward dude during slow mo to connect punch, duck or lean back to avoid punch”. Yet you could take the button prompt QTE’s from Heavy Rain and apply them to B2S. Also, I was often frustrated because I had no idea what the designers wanted me to do in a given situation and the player is often yelled at by Jodie to get a move on--A good example: at the embassy Jodie needs to find a “Quiet place” to do something in, we don’t know what it is but standing by the fountain isn’t quiet enough. Turns out you have to find the restroom and go into a stall. Why couldn’t they just say that and, “Here, a star on your screen to show you where it is. Take your time, we won’t yell at you, explore some of the other interesting options we (didn’t) have for you”? The white dots on the screen never turn black to contrast with their environments and doing actions like healing and mind reading are a pain. I can say that I really enjoyed the characters of Jodie and Aiden both and I really like who it turns out that Aiden actually is. I just wish there were more scenes where one didn’t have to call on Aiden to help out. I did relish exacting revenge on the teenagers at the party, but after that did we really need another “Party gone awry”--this time at a bar with the audacity to threaten rape? Couldn’t we just have a scene of poor Jodie enjoying a party? Oh, well, great graphics and fun to be had in spite of it all. 4 out of 5. Expand
  45. Oct 12, 2013
    This game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the living characters into fear or darn evil and start killing everything that moves. This gives it replay value, im playing nice/ trolling iden the first time jody being a good girl, next time ill play evil iden and dirty jodie. Its not a runner for any awards cage screwed up here, it could of been alot better and its his creative responsibility. Expand
  46. Oct 10, 2013
    we can only enjoy these kinds of game Finally something new, different and exiting !

Thanks to David Cage, people at Quantic Dreams and Sony for giving player's so much emotions.

Good work guys This game will take good place in hit of the game history of the PS3 with The last of US, GOW3, Uncharted, Heavy Rain
  47. Oct 10, 2013
    Una experiencia de juego muy buena, desde el principio el juego te atrapa, los graficos son excelentes y la historia esta muy bien, la verdad que la idea esta excelente me apasiona el juego.
  48. Oct 10, 2013
    A new, fresh approach to story telling. This game sets the standard for descriptive gameplay and engages the player with a gripping/captivating effect that is achieved by so few. The PS3 is definitly going out with a BANG! and this game proves that only until the end of a console's life cycle do developers really earn the ability to exploit the technology to the fullest. Change is something people have great difficulty with and this game proves it. Many will say it is not a game it is a movie, where is the action? but we need to understand that this is a form of art which makes it very difficult to access since it is quite uniqe. Expand
  49. Oct 10, 2013
    Awesome game. Great story, an incredible level of graphics for PS3. I got so many emotions, thank Quantic Dream- you are the best. David Cage genius, the actors are great. It`s game of the year for me and one of the favorites games for all history of videogames.
  50. Oct 11, 2013
    Just great, honestly. Beyond gorgeous movie, not very detailed and quite linear. But if you discard all the prejudices and just enjoy it all 10 of 10.One of reason for buying ps3.
  51. Oct 11, 2013
    The best game of this genre, the action is small, but the estimate is obvious solid 10. What is most liked so it protaganicheskoe management (or in other words, "only forward or damn, I forgot something," Just like the genre, the right choice. I look forward to similar games, just from the developers. Just waiting for the continuation, personal life adventure travel.
  52. Oct 13, 2013
    wesome game Great story, graphics and gameplay. This game is the best. David Cage is a genius. You should buy this game with your money because it is game of the year and David Cage is a genius. David Cage you genius.
  53. Oct 13, 2013
    Despite the mixed reviews about the game I have to say I'm loving it beautiful graphics (if not the best on this generation) and a great history.

I've never played any Quantic Dream title, but after BTS I'm sure I'll give Heavy Rain a try.
  54. Oct 20, 2013
    Stunning. Along with TLOU, one of the greatest games of this generation. This is a mature, character driven, emotional narrative. You really feel for Jodie and her inability to lead a normal life. Excellent performances by Page and Dafoe. Ellen Page should get an award for her part in this. Great motion capture and the most beautiful graphics on PS3. This really shows you what gaming is capable of. Gripping Expand
  55. Oct 16, 2013
    Interactive narrative for me leads people into games differently however for me this was the pinnacle of what I want in a game a story I loved with incredible voice acting and drastically improved graphics from Heavy Rain. This is my game of the generation in my opinion the ultimate swan song for the PS3.
  56. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! Seeing and accepting this for what it is and meant to be, it is a very compelling and interesting experience. I particularly love the fact that there's a two player mode, where one player plays as Jodie on one joypad or smart device, and the other player plays as Aiden, the spirit that accompanies her, on another joypad or smart device. Controlling Aiden seems too simplified when played on a smart device, but it is unquestionably nice to have the option and will appeal to casual games immensely. Only one player is in control at any one time, but it's nice to have to not hot swap the controller, and i only wish games like Xcom-Enemy Unknown had a similar controller assigning feature..

The graphics are superb and among the best of this gen, and although they are top notch for the most part, are not so in a few instances, the time in the desert for example. The game is a lot longer than i was expecting, as i feared it would be a short game, but am pleasantly surprised by the length. Special not must go to all the acting in the game, all superb!

As i said, a very compelling interactive story/movie, and one that i would highly recommend playing with your significant other, my girlfriend absolutely loves the game, i believe she said it was her favorite that she's played to date!
  57. Oct 20, 2013
    This isn't a game so much as an experience. Not only is this one of the best presented games on this generation of consoles, it arguably has some of the most powerful storytelling available in modern gaming. Whether you buy, rent or borrow, this game is a must play.

Looking forward to playing Quantic dreams next entry.
  58. Oct 20, 2013
    Excellent game for players who are able to appreciate something more than Call of Duty... For those who like Heavy Rain, more than recommended., if there is something mediocre, it is the average
  59. Oct 11, 2013
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  60. Oct 19, 2013
    This game was an amazing experience for me, and if it weren't for The Last of Us I would have easily chosen this game as Game of the Year. This is without a doubt the best looking game on the PS3, nothing comes close. In terms of gameplay I would give the nodge to The Last of Us, but in terms of cinematics I would give it to Beyond: Two Souls. In terms of story I would give it to the Last of Us but it's very close. In terms of soundtracks Beyond: Two Souls wins this easily. Expand
  61. Dec 30, 2013
    It saddens me when I see the negativity that is associated with this game because Beyond: Two Souls was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster that took me through the life of Jodie Holmes, a protagonist that I grew to care about significantly. The journey this game took me through made me believe that my decisions mattered and were significant in understanding the importance of right and wrong. I felt as if the characters I met playing along this journey as Jodie truly developed her character and created a depth to the overall experience. There were many moments that simultaneously made me feel the same emotions that Jodie was feeling in response to an event that may have occurred or a significant plot point which was surprising to say the least.

Beyond: Two Souls is special, it is a unique tale that deserves recognition for what it has accomplished. The entirety of the story should be experienced first hand in order to understand the captivating potential of the type of medium this game uses to engage the player. This game drained me emotionally which is a feat few games have done in the past and this is why it will be treasured. I can only urge others to not disregard Beyond: Two Souls as it so much more than a game, rather it is a masterful work of art.
  62. Oct 11, 2013
    Great game. Wonderfully unique experience. I hope some of the mixed reviews do not mess up the chances of them making more games. You can nit pick certain aspects of the game. Like consistency in the story, but they made something special here
  63. Oct 16, 2013
    During this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....My only reservation is that there are gamers out there who will not buy this game based solely on the misguided tepid reviews of a few critics and users--trust me, they have made a bad call-- and that is a shame because they will be losing out on one of the best journeys they can take in gaming--- Be warned--this is not your typical black op/fantasy/ science fiction shooter or slow mo blood and gore epic-- It is a compelling, emotional trip you take with this young girl (young and older Jodie played so well by both actresses) and you can only do that because of the excellent production values of this story....Thank-you Quantric--it was an awesome experience Expand
  64. Oct 20, 2013
    Best game I have seen in a long time. Beautiful graphics, realistic character animations, gripping story line.

I stayed up all night and went through the entire game, and then I went out and bought another two copies for my friends, because that is how good this is. I want everyone to experience this, because this is what a good game is.
  65. Oct 18, 2013
    Wow this game is absolutely amazing. This isn't a typical game, its an interactive movie/game in the same category as heavy rain. The graphics are beautiful minus an occasional texture pop ins and outs. The voice acting is great thanks to Ellen page and Willem Defoe bringing their A game. The story is engaging and it kept my interest the entire time. This is true originality when it comes to games. Something that's been lacking these days when all companies want to do is push out half assed sequels to mediocre fps or sports games. This game is a definite must buy if you love heavy rain or just want to experience something fresh and wonderful with a good narrative and character's Expand
  66. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised at how polarized the reviews for this game are. It is especially obvious at how much of a masterpiece this game is when you pop in Heavy Rain (as I did immediately after I beat BTS). The disparity in the amount of detail in the graphics, story, and ambition between the two games is staggering. To think this is how I felt when I first played through Heavy Rain says a lot. Beyond Two Souls simply pushes the PS3 to the limits in terms of graphical power. The storyline is incredible (I loved the twist at the end), and the voice-acting by Ellen Page and William Defoe is top-notch. It's like an amazing ten-hour sci-fi flick, only more involving due to the cool gameplay mechanics Quantum has incorporated into the game. You can switch back and forth almost at any point between Jodie (Ellen Page) and Aiden (a spirit she can communicate with that is tethered to her body), so this presents exciting moments throughout the campaign where you'll have to take over people's bodies, remember a dead person's last moments, or my personal favorite, help the living communicate with their dead family members. The latter of those abilities leads to some of the most emotional moments in ANY videogame. The variety of things you have to do, the locales you visit, and the people you meet keep everything fresh for the entire campaign. Things really pick up after the first hour or so and never really let up. I disagree with some of the negative reviews saying the story was convoluted. Once again play Heavy Rain and you'll see how superior this game is to that one. Don't hesitate in playing BTS. It is one of the best interactive experiences you can have. Expand
  67. Oct 14, 2013
    A beautiful cinematic game. It plays like a movie and is amazing at its delicate hands. If cinematic movies or very styled graphics get you playing, by 5 hours you'd have been finished
  68. Oct 20, 2013
    okay as a veteran game player of all systems and a extreme veteran of the ps3. I can honestly say without a doubt that Beyond: Two Souls is my favorite ps3 games of all time. And i can give you a few reasons why. WARNING: I have not played Heavy Rain which is apparently better but just hear me out. Ok lets start with one of my favorite featurs of the game. The somewhat funny entity Aiden. He is Conected to our protaganist. He is mostly used in situations of dire need from our main character. And although he is just a entity that NEVER talks in the game. You can tell he has emotion. In many cases in this game he gets angry from the people around him. He also gets mad when people mess with Our Protaganist Jodie. Now Lets get onto the next subject which is Jodie herself. She plays alot like the characters from The Walking Dead games. she can interact with her enviroment in ways that could change the game. She has alot of emotion and you can hear it in the voice actresses voice. Ok now lets get into gameplay. The game itself plays alot like a typical TellTale Games adventure game.(press this button to pick up this etc.) But with a twist of adding combat into the mix. It freshens up the style of a adventure game but retains the adventure games great features. One of the great things about the combat is real simple and not over complicated. It doesnt make you fell pressured like in rpgs. Ok now lets move into the story. This has been the main complaint of the game. The fact that you play the story jumbled up into different parts is confusing to some and great to people like me. It also freshens up the regular adventure game elements leving you to figure out what order things happen in. But if you do not like that there is also a timeline to help you. The story missions vary from five minutes, to what seems like 2 hours. Also the story makes you feel attatched to all the characters and you feel the emotions they do. If Jodie is scared your scared to. Ok lets move into the graphics. And they are nothing shorter then the best damn graphics I have ever seen. For a game on the slowly dying ps3 it looks better then most ps4 games announced. You can see every detail on every character. It makes the game so much better. Overall Beyond Two Souls is the best PS3 game i have ever played with beautiful graphics. a gripping story. and freshened up adventure game style gameplay with new combat style. Which is why i give it a ten out of ten. Go out and buy this game if you havent already Expand
  69. Oct 16, 2013
    Beyond two souls review: this game is for people like me who think story is one of the most important things for a game to be entertaining. It's kind of like a quick time event story with Jodie while you almost have full control of Aiden. The story is so engaging and the emotions throughout the game are sensational. As far as genre goes it is really the whole package, it ranges from explosive action scenes to surprisingly creepy scenes. However the type of game it is is definitely not for everyone, including myself since I usually play more action oriented games so if I was giving it a score based on my style of games I would give it about an 8 but I know better then to give a review on a game just because I have a different opinion on games so for what it is it definitely deserves a 10. The only negative is that the controls for Aiden are a little hard to control sometimes and take some time to get used to. All around a 10 out of 10! Expand
  70. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm giving it a 10 because it does what it sets out to do perfectly.
    People are come expecting a game or a movie and its not either of them. It's an interactive story that uses a game as its medium because lets face it, as a book or movie it would be crap.
    Critics fail to see that just because its medium is a game, it doesn't have to be reviewed as such.
    The overall story despite being
    interesting is not very good, what is very good is the story of every separate mission. The 'game' could be told as 20 fantastic short stories.
    obviously voice acting and character appearance are great.
    The character of Jodie is very well thought out. i did care about Jodie. this lead to me making decisions i think Jodie would make, not what i'd like her to make.
    Aiden is a something I don't think I've seen done before and actually adds some good mechanics to a game thats not about mechanics. When you learn that thing about Aiden then think about all the things he's done for you despite that thing.
    If i was rating this as a game it'd score low but I'm not so taking what it is into account, its a ten
  71. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget about what all the tight-ass reviewers say (We're looking at you IGN!), this game is a perfect example of what interactive storytelling should be. Any old idiot should be able to understand the non-linear story-line and everyone should be able to enjoy the way that game lets interact with the flow of the narrative. However, there are some people who just can't seem to fabricate a reasonable opinion on this game. I know some have different ways of thinking than others but this game brought out so many emotions in me and made me feel like I was having a huge say and part in what was happening in the narrative. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and its 22 alternate endings (who says it isnt interactive enough!?) and would recommend it to anyone who is able to properly appreciate excellent writing and an overall excellent game Expand
  72. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best experience ever in PS3. This a game and it's a movie, a game-movie or movie-game, so do not be deceived or desapointed. Great story and awesome graphics! One of the most beautiful and thrilling game I ever played.
  73. Oct 17, 2013
    Amazing acting, beautiful graphics immersed me for the entire game, however I would've liked a better way to tell the story, and it may have been a bit better if the game wasn't as passive as it is, but it's great nontheless.
  74. Oct 18, 2013
    I certainly wouldn't want every game to be like Beyond and Heavy Rain (which seems to be DC's vision) but in a sea of CoD clones and other generic titles, this is once again a nice change of pace and at this point, you really have to support any major developer that tries to do something different. Looking forward to Quantic's first PS4 title.
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5, I rounded to 9. It is an amazing game with a few minor problems. Lets get the problems out of the way first, the only problems I had with the game was the occasional clunkiness of the controls(it wasn't always bad but I don't know why it occasionally was, maybe will be fixed in a patch). The other thing that was a slight con in my opinion is that even if you horribly mess up you still manage to continue on, unlike Heavy Rain where you could have your characters killed, maybe it is because they were just human and you have Aiden, anyway back to the point, those two things are the only things that detracted from the game in my opinion. The pros are a great story, great acting, beautiful graphics and art design, the emotional moments, the way Quantic Dream doesn't fear being different. All in all I highly recommend this game, go get it! Expand
  76. Oct 10, 2013
    Graphics are fantastic and sometimes you forget it's a game, everything looks so real and attention to details is amazing. Story starts out just great and really intriguing. That is for the first 4-5 hours or so. And then plot collapses on itself, plot holes grow in numbers in every scene. It's just sad that Cage is not a writer but continues to try and inevitably fails every time. Every story he writes sacrifices compelling story for the sake of plot twist. Every time he tries to surprise player and screw ups his characters (that are without their flaws in the first place), destroys story, creates dozens of plot holes along the way and ultimately the game itself suffers. It happened with Indigo Prophecy, it happened with Heavy Rain (not so much though) and it absolutely destroyed that game. It's a pity he can't just give his story for read proof or something to the actual writers.
    This was a decent game in first couple of hours, I would've given it 8 or 9.
    Then it kinda went off, action scenes are unnecessary and boring, with broken controls, you start to notice some plot holes and dumb characters decisions, and it might deserve 5-6.
    But then the ending comes and oh my god that is terrible. Last scenes are just pathetic. You watch it like a TV movie, it's so bad, it's characters are laughable (like CIA general, it's like he is from looney tunes or something, he is so evil and nasty and just cartoon villain), it's like ending was done in 1 week by a bunch of 8 years old. Who wrote that stuff? It's really bad even for FPS action shoot-em-up game. For a game that focuses on the plot it's atrocious! The ending is for 1-2 score AT MOST.

So it combines to 4-5 for me, but given the pretty graphics and nice technological achivement I'm giving this game 5 out 10. The ending ruined this game. Everything that happens at CIA building is just awful and people that are responsible for it should not try to write anything at all.
  77. Oct 14, 2013
    Definitely game of the year. Oh, at least just for me. It is for these games, I never cease to be interested in the gaming industry. In this game you merge with the head and does not want, what would that story ended. So it is safe to put 10 out of 10.
  78. Oct 18, 2013
    This is just a beautiful piece of a video game art!
    Brilliant visuals!
    Great story line! Great action scenes! Very emotional ending!
    And one of the best main characters I've ever seen in video-games!
    Great performance by Ellen Paige, as always!
    David Caige, bravo and thank you for beautiful and very emotional adventure!!!
    I'm so excited about QD's nextgen project!
  79. Oct 14, 2013
    After reading all the bad reviews I did not know what to expect. I even created an account on here just so I can give it a user review as this game deserves a hell of a lot more than what reviewers are giving it. It is such a good game. The story is very good and there is a good chunk of gameplay in there despite what critics have said. At times it can be linear but is well worth the purchase to experience this amazing game. The story is like no other game and had me for the first time generally feeling sad in a video game, the fact that you can make choices and play through the game enables it to pull you in further than a movie ever could. BUY IT! Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2013
    underestimate game ever! underestima underestimate game ever!te game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!
  81. Oct 14, 2013
    Proof of a twisted media. While Call of Duty 10 will get rave reviews for its ingenuity of adding ten more maps and a "vault", this beautiful game gets slandered for not being interactive enough.

Time was, a game was compared to its kin; you don't assault CoD for a lack of narrative and having too few cut scenes. When a gamer wants to experience a story, they choose a title that does
    so.

While not without some minor flaws (I struggled with the camera on a few occasions), I found this tale to be a heartfelt one. Characters develop well, and there are some unforgettable moments. Don't pass this gem up; listen to the fans, not the bought out mainstream gaming media.
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    Amazing story with amazing music in combination with fantastic graphics. Quantic Dream for one more time creates an epic title, who easily we can say that is "The Game of the Year".
  83. Oct 14, 2013
    Let me start by saying this game is not for everyone. This is not your normal action-adventure, it is more like a interactive movie. The story in this game is very rich and you follow Jodie Holmes through bad and good times. Many of the characters have good voice actors and the game is a great journey. The Graphics in this game are very good. It is probably one of best looking console game of this generation. In the end I really recommend this game. Expand
  84. Oct 14, 2013
    By the makers if Heavy Rain, French developers Quantic Dream are at it again with another emotionally intense, action packed video game with great actors and an even better story line. Beyond follows the life of Jodie Holmes throughout fifteen years of her life, giving you the ability to dictate how it all plays out by allowing you to make important decisions in her life. Within the twenty-two different possible endings, I'm quite satisfied with the one I got, and trust me when I say that when you start playing, you won't want to stop. With a game that keeps you on the edge of your seat in suspense, there of course are flaws, but few. For starters, there isn't a whole lot of gameplay itself, but then again, David Cage's games aren't like that. They're story and decision based, so a game like this was expected. The other would be the predictability at some parts of the story, but it's an enjoyable predictability if I do say so myself. The last flaw can be taken as either a flaw or perfection; the inability to fail. When you make a mistake much like Heavy Rain, the story continues around that mistake, overall affecting your ending of the game. This however is a good way to keep you on your feet in places like Somalia when you're on a mission to take down a world leader. All in all, David Cage has evolved in story-telling and game experience, making this his best game to date. I will definitely be looking forward to future development of games and would recommend this game to everyone. Except COD players. I recommend crap to them. Expand
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    Special, amazing journey! Excellent characters! Fantastic graphics! Great story and gameplay! I love Ellen Page Surplus impossible game! Experience! THANK QUANTIC DREAM!
  86. Oct 16, 2013
    Everything about this game is beautiful! I can't remember the last time I didn't want to put the controller down. Quanticdream does an outstanding job of keeping the player interested in the story and the visuals are absolutely stunning. If you like Heavy Rain you will LOVE Beyond Two Souls!
  87. Oct 16, 2013
    This game is one of the best and now it's my favorite. Seriously, everything is cool, but the best thing about the game is the emotion, the emotion! in a game you felt them for the last time? Yes, the game is not as brilliant as the heavy rain, but that does not mean that it is bad. This is the best game of the year, as well as compulsory acquisition for each owner of a PS3, and indeed every human inhabiting our planet Expand
  88. Oct 16, 2013
    Amazing experience,Awesome graphics, This game is fantastic! One of my favorite games this year. David Cage make a fantastic game, Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it.
  89. Oct 17, 2013
    No matter what everyone say, the game has made all my expectations true.
    Strong plot, amazing graphics, great actors!
    In my opinion, not everyone can understand this game as it.
    And it's a pity that there are so many negative reviews, I just don't get it...
  90. Oct 17, 2013
    I played this game with my wife And It was a Very Nice experience! She sucks at video Gámes but enjoys watching me while i am playing! This is the very first time we have played And actually enjoyed together a video game! It is a unique journey And one of a kind game! Dont miss It, It will be remenber as the baby steps not just of a new way to see Gámes but to see entertainment as a whole
  91. Oct 18, 2013
    Such a game with outstanding performance by ellen page and william defoe should be available on all platforms so that everyone tries this great game. The story and soundtracks are so good they cover for the gameplay, but this game and quantic dream just focus on the story. They want to give you a great story regardless of anything else. If you liked heavy rain get this. 9/10
  92. Oct 18, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls has great graphics and characters that you actually feel something for. I really enjoyed the feel of the game, like an interactive movie, and the way it plays with your feelings is pretty amazing. It's a really good game and it won't disappoint you.
  93. Oct 19, 2013
    Don't be fooled by some of the other reviews. Despite a few control/camera issues and occasionally bland backgrounds, this is a stunningly beautiful game. Much like The Last of Us, I consider this game to be Next Gen storytelling. I've given this game a 10/10 (and consciously ignored some minor faults) as it's one of the most amazing journeys I've had in the last 25 years of gaming. Play it through to the end. You won't be disappointed! P.S If you happen to have a nice surround sound set up in your home, you're in for a treat Amazing Expand
  94. Oct 19, 2013
    Quantic Dreams, Beyond Two Souls is a monumental step forward for the gaming industry. If there ever was an argument against those who claim a video game could never be a work of art, or to be dismissed as frivolous and undeserving of respect ..This is it. Buy it.
  95. Oct 20, 2013
    I really enjoyed the story line of this game more than any game I can remember in recent history. I mean, I seriously cried at a few of the cut scenes. I actually wish I could go back and play it again for the first time because each new piece of the 'timeline' was just so enthralling for me and I couldn't wait to see what happened next... or before. Great game.
  96. Oct 21, 2013
    Good game makes you fill like you are in a movie with such great graphics. Even though the storyline might confuse some gamers since it is not in order.
  97. Nov 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, a meaningless interlude there), manages to convince and hold the interest. This is partially due to the way in which the tension is ratcheted up during the final third. Oh yes, the climaxes in Beyond Two Souls are of the truly unforgettable style. It would, of course, be a gross disservice to not point out the excellent vocal performances of Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe; they really sell their characters with expertise. But the supporting cast, most notably the unsung souls that portray Cole and Ryan also do a fantastic job. The graphical output of the game is impressive but not in a "these are the best graphics I've ever seen on PS3!" sort of way. It looks great but there are certainly PS3 games that look better (The Last of Us, for example). The art design is terrific at times. There's obviously a deep seated love of Sci-Fi at the root of the title and you can catch little visual cues from the likes of Alien, The Abyss, The Thing and many more. Gameplay and control wise, Beyond Two Souls can be a bit hit-or-miss. Earlier sequences in the game (particularly the montage and stealth training sequence) can border on the awful. Likewise, the general way that Jodie controls like a tank in a confined space doesn't help immersion much. However, later QTE fights prove to be excellent and exciting and the one section where you properly implement your stealth training is surprisingly fun. Overall, I came away from Beyond Two Souls with my mouth agape, my eyes brimming with tears and my body eager for another playthrough. Well done Quantic Dream! Excellent stuff indeed. Expand
  98. Dec 21, 2013
    As soon as I completed this game I felt compelled to write a review so here I am. Put short beyond two souls is feaking amazing, the character development, the story, graphics, audio everything is top notch and so well done the game is nothing short of a masterpiece and quite easily my favourite game of this generation by quite a distance. Its hard to describe just how good this game is. Word of warning though this game is all about the story, so if stories arent your thing and your prefer open world games etc then look elsewhere Expand
  99. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  100. Oct 11, 2013
    A game like GTA V gets relatively no articles nor low scores for its overrated story and violence which is more closer to reality then this game or any other. Yet Beyond Two Souls gets mentioned in an article for its violence and then reviewed poorly. Media is killing the real art as we know it. Yeah it doesn't have much gameplay as you would expect..it plays more like a shooting arcade/gallery game (think Virtual Cop or House of the dead), with bits of walking, but its the story and characters that matter most. There is interaction which classifies it as a game and I for one love it and highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates great storytelling and compelling characters. The highlights were the charming Ellen Page, acting veteran Willem Dafoe and of course Aiden especially. Beautiful graphics that make the PS3 still shine and wonderful moments of human perseverance. Expand

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.