• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 13, 2013
    Honestly, I do not understand the validity of the claims of Western and domestic media to Beyond: Two souls. David Cage's work can not be called a masterpiece or some breakthrough in the field of interactive cinema or games such as Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit. But to call any consumer goods or second-class game do not dare In fact, for me it is an example of a great movie which we did notHonestly, I do not understand the validity of the claims of Western and domestic media to Beyond: Two souls. David Cage's work can not be called a masterpiece or some breakthrough in the field of interactive cinema or games such as Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit. But to call any consumer goods or second-class game do not dare In fact, for me it is an example of a great movie which we did not spare money in the movie, and make us think about some of the eternal themes that we care about Many players and journalists throw feces in the game for that alleged in the game and the gameplay is a soap Kintz To some extent they are right, you do not include it has no gameplay It's really a movie, but marked as interactive And this interactivity allows us to find yourself in the shoes of the main characters Jodie and Aiden and to feel more deeply the relationship between them. The plot is the same in my opinion, is gorgeous, and nothing does not yield the stories of "The last of us" and "Bioshock". He constantly keeps the tension and makes us empathize with the main characters One of the biggest drawbacks is the way of the narrative of the plot the constant movement in time that does not allow us to focus on a character in a specific period of time and to some extent it takes away from the perception of the story. As for the guest stars they do not knowingly eat their own bread. Ellen Page is really a talented actress, despite her antics And Willem Dafoe I think generally no one should doubt This product is not a good or bad ending, there is only a choice, and that choice can sometimes be the most important decision of your life. Expand
  2. Oct 10, 2013
    The narrative is a bit disjointed, but can I say how much fun it was to play a videogame as Ellen Page?
    It was great. Especially as a person who mainly plays videogames when I'm sick on the couch, I loved not having to memorize 100 controls. Visuals were fantastic. David Cage keep making games.
  3. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is the best way for Sony to end the Playstation 3 era, this is not a video game it is an experience...an experience any gamer,movie or tv lover HAS to experience. Quantic Dream are one of the only company's to make me feel emotion through out their productions, be it anger, sadness happiness and its consistently on par with the protagonist emotion. The ending is brilliantBeyond Two Souls is the best way for Sony to end the Playstation 3 era, this is not a video game it is an experience...an experience any gamer,movie or tv lover HAS to experience. Quantic Dream are one of the only company's to make me feel emotion through out their productions, be it anger, sadness happiness and its consistently on par with the protagonist emotion. The ending is brilliant and as always once the credits roll you immediately are overwhelmed with satisfaction in your purchase of their product.But also you should expect the ending and characters to linger in your thoughts for weeks to come.One word....Perfect 10/10! Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    Awesome graphics, beautiful gameplay, maybe a interactive novel, excellent characters great history you can felt joy, suffer and felt scary with the protagonist,
    good work for Quantic dream
  5. Dec 22, 2013
    Three years after the release of the critically acclaimed Heavy Rain, David Cage has finally released his next project, Beyond: Two Souls. With the major amount of publicity its received, given that Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are the games main characters, the question surrounding this game is whether or not it can live up to the hype.

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is the graphics. Although the game wouldn't be considered beautiful with popping colors, the graphics themselves are beyond impressive in terms of detail. The character designs are amazing, capturing everything from the character's pores, to their hair, and even to the details of their clothes. The amount of detail and color in this game make it an absolute beauty to look at, and make it one of the most graphically impressive games of the current console generation, if not the best.

Another aspect of the game is the story. Unlike Cage's last game, Heavy Rain, the game features only one protagonist, Jodie Holmes, played by actress Ellen Page and the ghost tied to her, named Aiden. The game follows Jodie's story from age 9 all the way to 24. The game features multiple chapters which are more jumbled and mixed up than a Quinton Tarantino film. Luckily, the game has a time line as a loading screen, which shows you when each chapter happened, making the story surprisingly easy to follow. In the first couple of hours, the story wasn't as engrossing as I would have liked, and I wondered exactly how some of the chapters were significant. Luckily, as the chapters filled out, all the events became important in their own way, and it's actually better that the story is jumbled up because it helps make some events in the story later down the timeline more clear and easy to understand. If the story were to be viewed in order, it would have significantly weakened the experience.

One disappointment I've heard from fans is that the story isn't like Heavy Rain's style. In Heavy Rain's story, the game had an enormous amount of endings, which were all affected by the choices you made throughout the story. The multiple endings and in game choices encouraged multiple playthroughs if you wanted to get all of them. What made the game more exiting was the ability to kill off your characters, as well as the shocking twist near the end.

Then there's Beyond's story. The game does have multiple endings, but the choices in the game that affect what ending you get are made within the last thirty minutes of the game. There are certain actions you can make in the story that make some of the endings slightly different, but that's it. However, I personally loved the change up. The reason why is because Heavy Rain's story was a little short, given all the work that was put into the multiple story arcs, which I had no problem with. However, because the story in Beyond was a single story arc, the story had a lot more room for the drama and impact. In this case, Beyond delivers, ultimately making it emotional, intense, heartfelt, and humorous on a couple of occasions. Also, the story is longer than Heavy Rain, making more room for the drama. So, I personally don't mind the change, but I know others will, so whether or not the game's story is good depends on your preferences.

Next is the gameplay. The gameplay is similar to Heavy Rain, using the Face buttons to control speech choices during conversations and decisions, while using quick time events for the action. The quick time events in Beyond are actually based on moving the right analog stick in the correct direction. There aren't any on screen prompts, so you have to judge which way to move the stick, based on Jodie's momentum whenever the action slows. I've heard complaints that the direction isn't always clear, but I never had a problem with it. Plus, the slow down prompt always gives you enough time to adequately judge where to go.

One thing I was disappointed with was the balance of quick time events and cinematic gameplay. Heavy Rain had a nice balance, usually having a quick time event segment every hour or so, with cinematic gameplay filling out the in between sections. In Beyond, the game would sometimes go on for hours without any quick time events or action. Despite the great story, the gap sometimes left me impatient for more.

In this game, you don't control just Jodie, but the Aiden too. His gameplay mainly consists of messing with objects in the environment, as well as the ability to posses or kill people. As Aiden, you float around the area, and look for the next object to mess with (usually presented with a white dot), or look for the next person to kill or possess (usually presented with a red or orange silhouette). Aiden's controls are floaty at first, but get easier to handle over time.

Ultimately, the game was incredible. When I reached the end, I was impressed with both the story as well as the gameplay and in the end, I can say my expectations with this game were satisfied.
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    Awesome Graphics. Intense Story. Epic Characters. This was like a Tv Series in A Game, which i normally dont like, but this Game is Amazing. This is in the same league as The Last Of Us..
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    From its hyper realistic sweat pores to its startlingly beautiful soundtrack, Beyond is an experience you do not want to pass up. For starters, on the debate for is this a video game, I'd like to point out that video games has become a wide varied genre. Is this included? To put it simply, yes. Don't believe me? Well. For all the people reviewing the game, who then call it not a game, butFrom its hyper realistic sweat pores to its startlingly beautiful soundtrack, Beyond is an experience you do not want to pass up. For starters, on the debate for is this a video game, I'd like to point out that video games has become a wide varied genre. Is this included? To put it simply, yes. Don't believe me? Well. For all the people reviewing the game, who then call it not a game, but critique its GAMEplay. Think.
    Now for my opinion. This game is a masterpiece, flawed slightly but nonetheless something unique. The best description for it is it isn't a 'gamers game'. By that I mean, its not for those who love their shoot em ups, driving games or sandbox type ones. I do enjoy those games, but I'm heavily open minded. Beyond is described as an interactive story, and it is, but games have been interactive stories for near a decade now. The Last of Us. Tomb Raider. Bioshock Infinite. Story is a driving force in the gaming world now and Beyond doesn't disappoint. Its tragic, its warm, cold, funny, heartbreaking, terrifying. Its throws emotions at you and your helpless but to feel. This is only strengthened by the acting capabilities of all the characters in the game, in particularly Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes. Ellen breathes life into this game, and it isn't hard to believe she was nominated for an Oscar. As for gameplay, the only trouble I had was with a dodgy camera angle, otherwise its simple, fun and taken time with, exhilarating. But like I said, this game wont appeal to everyone.
    Honestly though, buy it. Whether you like the look of it or don't, its an experience that will have you talking no matter what.
    A final gem for the PS3, an easy ten out of ten.
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    Emotions of the character played are felt in almost every scene, which is a hard thing to accomplish in a game or a move.
    Unique setting and story, amazing graphics and memorable characters make the journey unforgettable.
    Not everyone plays fps or car games, not everyone should play beyond. It's really hard to explain what some people scoring low were expecting getting this quantic dream game.
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    I really liked it alot. This generations best animated sequences of QTE´s and while i hate QTE i troughly enojoyed them alot more than anything else prior to this title involving those mechanics. If you like stories. your gonna love this one, and it helps alot to go trough someones life from the age of 8 23.
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    For someone who has always liked story and graphics or revolutionary mechanics, I thoroughly enjoyed B2S. I never really noticed bad writing throughout the play through and the acting and mo capping was well done. My only problem with the game was that in one section the game was too dark to see where you were going (brightening the screen and using Aiden fixed that), and sometimes theFor someone who has always liked story and graphics or revolutionary mechanics, I thoroughly enjoyed B2S. I never really noticed bad writing throughout the play through and the acting and mo capping was well done. My only problem with the game was that in one section the game was too dark to see where you were going (brightening the screen and using Aiden fixed that), and sometimes the direction quicktime events were a little unclear. Highly recommend it if you are big into story, graphics, and Ellen Page. Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    after some low scores i went with a down expectations the game is great its one of the best games i played this year just kept me hook if you like good history you will enjoy this
  12. Oct 11, 2013
    Absolutely amazing story. I was worried at first because of some of the hate that some reviewers put out, but I can see now that they either don't like story games (which it was heavily advertised as) or they are bitter that its ps3 exclusive (I actually borrowed a friend's ps3 just to play it).

The visuals are stunning, the story really drew me in, and most importantly, I cared about all the characters. The game sucks you in and leaves you wondering what Jodie could possibly face next, and how it all ties in to the bigger picture. Thats another thing. The story plays out almost in Cloud Atlas fashion, jumping around in different portions of Jodie's life, until a unified theme with a strong message is clear at the end, where all of your choices add up.

All in all, an amazing game and a must play if you have a ps3 (or in my case, if you don't). Owning this game is like owning a piece of art.
  13. Oct 11, 2013
    The math here is simple: if you liked Heavy Rain and/or Indigo Prophecy, you gonna love Beyond Two Souls. If you didn't like Indigo Prophecy and/or Heavy Rain, you have a great chance to dislike Beyond Two Souls. And that's it. It's not a typical game, it's not for everyone, the gameplay is very simple, almost like a interactive movie, but the game grabs you with its great story tellingThe math here is simple: if you liked Heavy Rain and/or Indigo Prophecy, you gonna love Beyond Two Souls. If you didn't like Indigo Prophecy and/or Heavy Rain, you have a great chance to dislike Beyond Two Souls. And that's it. It's not a typical game, it's not for everyone, the gameplay is very simple, almost like a interactive movie, but the game grabs you with its great story telling and awesome graphics as well. Playing the demo version just gives you a glimpse of what Beyond has to offer. If you're in for a great story and wants to get emotional with it, do your self a favor and play Beyond Two Souls. Expand
  14. Oct 12, 2013
    This game may not have the worlds most solid gameplay, and sometimes it feels forced, but the story was so compelling I couldn't put it down and when the end came I was sad that it had come to a close, my ending was so satisfying, if i could forget it all and go through it again I would without question, for me films and games have become more and more about the story and this justThis game may not have the worlds most solid gameplay, and sometimes it feels forced, but the story was so compelling I couldn't put it down and when the end came I was sad that it had come to a close, my ending was so satisfying, if i could forget it all and go through it again I would without question, for me films and games have become more and more about the story and this just reinforces my opinion that games are pushing forward in this field. In all, I loved Beyond: Two Souls and never want to forget how much of a success it was to me, it makes me wish my opinion mattered more to people outside my circle of friends, because nobody should miss out on this story. It saddens me to hear people criticize Cages writing for this. Its by no means perfect, but it was, in my eyes at least, beautiful, and I'm so grateful I've been able to experience it, thank you Quantic Dream, sincerely. Expand
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    AWESOME GAME. the graphics are STUNNING and the gameplay can be emotional. It is very well thought and you could choose to lead your own path by choosing the options that they give you.
  16. Oct 13, 2013
    Unique game, great story, great actors, music, voice all at the highest level. The story really touched. Characters are native. It was hard to say goodbye to it. Thank you, Quantic Dream
  17. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is not for everyone. Especially if you have a problem getting emotionally attached to characters or have no idea what immersion is. Although David Cage does like to start his bar HIGH and do SO much with a game, not everyone can grasp it completely. Most of the gripes I see from other people are the controls, has no one even looked at the digital manual? We don't need tutorialThis game is not for everyone. Especially if you have a problem getting emotionally attached to characters or have no idea what immersion is. Although David Cage does like to start his bar HIGH and do SO much with a game, not everyone can grasp it completely. Most of the gripes I see from other people are the controls, has no one even looked at the digital manual? We don't need tutorial levels for everything.

I personally had no issues with the controls. And since we're not dealing with multiple protagonists, a la Heavy Rain, we can focus on a single timeline and not have to worry about plot holes. But that's the hard part about making a game about choices and having different results because of those choices. And I think THAT is the point people don't see. It's not about being an action game, or an interactive movie. The whole point, like with Heavy Rain, is to become immersed in the world and make choices. Hence so much effort goes into creating a world and characters that look amazing. And the acting is just spot on.

Contrary to what people say, there IS a difference between experiencing a game and playing it. When a game evokes emotional reactions that you literally stop and think about what you should do next, or makes you get nervous or even scared, you are experiencing the game. When your reaction is on the other end of the spectrum and you're just watching what happens, mindlessly watching and not paying any attention and then getting lost and frustrated, you're just playing the game. And I find this happens with a lot of people with a lot of games, not just games like this.

Ultimately, now that I got that out of the way, Beyond: Two Souls is an amazing experience. To the point where I feel happy with my playthrough and almost don't want to play it again to see what else could have happened. I may let me wife and friends play it just to watch and see, but I feel satisfied with my choices in the game and what ultimately happened to Jodie.

If you haven't yet played this game and plan on picking it up, DON'T go and watch other playthroughs online. DON'T read and wiki's about it. DON'T look up the trophy/achievement list and worry about getting any on your first playthrough. Play it the first time fresh. And download AND read the digital manual, it'll save you time trying to figure out all the controls and getting confused. If you ever owned any older consoles before, i.e. SNES, SEGA, even PSone and PS2, you'll know that manuals are your friend. Play by yourself or if you prefer to have an audience watch, play with people who will not break your immersion or alter your decisions. My roommate watched me play and she was very entertained. Even asked me to let her know when I would play so she could watch. And, of course, immerse yourself into the game world. I know I may be preaching to the choir to some of you, but I've met people who play games without any emotional investment in the games they play. They want to be entertained as opposed to experience something.

And that's something I've always done and I praise David Cage for expressing that to gamers. It's not just about Heavy Rain or Beyond, EXPERIENCE your games, don't just play them.
  18. Oct 13, 2013
    Bar far the most unique game experience I had all year. The story had me on the verge of my seat from start to finish. Because you are able to dictate the actions of the protagonist through 15 years of her life, you develop a strong connection with her, as with the other main characters. The game has immense replay value, as there are almost a dozen endings to the story, all of which areBar far the most unique game experience I had all year. The story had me on the verge of my seat from start to finish. Because you are able to dictate the actions of the protagonist through 15 years of her life, you develop a strong connection with her, as with the other main characters. The game has immense replay value, as there are almost a dozen endings to the story, all of which are the result of the actions you take throughout the game. This game has the best graphics I've ever seen on a console game; the motion capture is immaculate and really creates immersive scenes, packed with tense action and drama. The score is breath-taking. I can't wait to play the game again, and again, and again. Expand
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is fantastic! First of all, the story is very interesting and dramatic. Graphics just amazing! I can't understand why game's score is so low. Absolutely stunning and unique game.
    Quantic Dream did what they had to do.
  20. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is amazing. It has greatly improved controls since heavy rain and everything feels natural. It in my opinion, strikes the perfect balance between action and story telling and Jodie's relationship with other characters feels natural and tries to be a normal person despite her powers and has a love-hate relationship with Aiden whether she is in combat or trying to go on a date.This game is amazing. It has greatly improved controls since heavy rain and everything feels natural. It in my opinion, strikes the perfect balance between action and story telling and Jodie's relationship with other characters feels natural and tries to be a normal person despite her powers and has a love-hate relationship with Aiden whether she is in combat or trying to go on a date. Game of the Year for me. Expand
  21. Oct 14, 2013
    Great game and my last one for the PS3 before I get the PS4.
    First of all: I love Killzone, uncharted, The Last of us, InFamous, GT, Resistance, LBP etc...
    This game is different... in a good way! I payed it with my brother. He was Jodie and I played Aiden. We started and played nearly seven hours cause the story was so gripping and we couldn't stop. The storytelling is really
    Great game and my last one for the PS3 before I get the PS4.
    This game is different... in a good way!
    I payed it with my brother. He was Jodie and I played Aiden.
    The storytelling is really fascinating and the gamer has to think and put together the chapters.
    After a made a decision I always thought what would have happened with an other decision (already playing it the second time)
    Ellen Pages acting performance is outstanding and contribute to the dramatic and emotions.
    The game is exactly what it wants to be. The focus isn't on the game-play it is on the Story, the animation and the emotions. We need more games like this cause this is a unique experience.
    Thanks Sony for supporting a game like this!
    Thanks Quantic Dream for making this game!
    Thanks Ellen Page for the convincingly acting!
    ...
    go on!
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the reason I play playstation. I was blown away by this game. I highly enjoyed the story, graphics were incredible and the acting was some of the best i've seen in gaming. I rented this game and beat it in one sitting and now I am going to buy the game. I am extremely glad I got to experience this masterpiece.
  23. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from theThis game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from the big set peices to all the locations and little activities from begging for money to cooking to controlling Aiden make this a Game of the Year candidate for me Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2013
    I think it is more of an interactive movie with really great graphic and story which i LOVED. It is so different and it really raised my standards of video games. A movie that YOU control.. so amazing
  25. Oct 16, 2013
    Fantastic graphics, better than The Last of Us, the story of the game is incredible, great job Quantic Dream, This is one of those games that really messes with you, sensational, better than heavy rain!

Most review sites who rated medium low this game, should review its concepts, this game has bugs? Yes, but the qualities are many that you forget the small errors. Now when launch a

Now when launch a Call of Duty (CoD every year is the same everyone will and give high notes... 'll understand... this is why I hate 80% of review sites!! :S
  26. Oct 17, 2013
    This is amazing and beautiful game, before TLoA and GTA 5!
    Perfect graphics and of course unbelievable interesting story! The soundtrack is the best soundtracks in video games.
    Thanks you, QD for this game.
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    There are moments in a game with a weak story and characters being all stupid. However everyone who will skip this game will also miss some really magnificent things. I really loved the Navajo part. I enjoyed both endings. The game really deserves to be the one everyone have played.
  28. Oct 20, 2013
    Really a great experience. It basically has the same gameplay as Heavy Rain, so if you didn't like that, fair enough. I don't mind it though, and fact is both the story and the acting is LEAGUES better than it was in Heavy Rain, which is why I am rating this so high.
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is awesome!!!!I I think it has a low score because this game went against CIA method!!!! Or Microsoft paid a lot of money to the reviewers. The user score is telling us that this game is awesome!!!
  30. Oct 21, 2013
    Quantic Dream’s Heavy Rain pushed the boundaries on what a game can be during it’s day. It showed that game can make us become emotionally attached to the story and the characters. So Quantic Dream’s latest game ‘Beyond Two Souls’ has some boots to fill, but does it live up to the highly praised Heavy Rain? You bet.
    The game stars Hollywood heavyweights Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. The
    The game stars Hollywood heavyweights Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. The entire cast does a great of job playing their characters, but Ellen Page in particular deserves huge praise for her performance as she plays the role perfectly. I cannot praise her highly enough.

Page takes the lead as Jodie Holmes, a young girl who is born tied together with an invisible supernatural entity called Aiden. The game spans 15 years of her life, from age 8 to age 23. The game’s narrative goes back and forth to certain parts of those 15 years.

The gameplay in Beyond Two Souls is difficult to talk about. You will either love it or hate it. The game lets you switch between Jodie and Aiden. When playing as Jodie you interact with objects marked with a white dot. Her fighting mechanics are not very impressive. Time slows down in combat, you then have to move the right analog stick in whatever direction Jodie is moving to block, punch or kick. This is the games weakest aspect as it can sometimes be unclear which direction Jodie is moving, causing you to fail.
    Playing as Aiden is very different to playing as Jodie. You fly around interacting with objects marked by a blue dots. This includes possessing people, opening doors or even bringing down a whole building. Playing as Aiden is fun but as everything is pointed out to you, it doesn’t present much of a challenge.
    The gameplay in Beyond Two Souls has caused quite a stir amongst gamers. Many people are saying that Beyond Two Souls isn’t even a game. I can see why people would think this, as the game is basically an interactive movie. Sometimes it would take a while before I could carry on with the gameplay. I wish there would have been more player interactivity. Personally I am fine with this as the story makes up for the lack of interactivity.

The best way to describe Beyond Two Soul’s graphics is next-gen graphics on current-gen systems. The graphics are very impressive. Every scene in the game was filmed with advanced motion capture. Everything from facial expressions to body language was recorded and used in the game. Depending on the situation, Jodie’s walking animation will be different. For example when she’s a child, her arms will wave around like she’s skipping.
    The story in Beyond Two Souls is truly a memorable experience. The 2000 page story is the games strong point. It will make you feel a lot more emotional than most games or movies. It is captivating, well written and you are never bored. The choices in the game are extremely well done. The choices you can make vary from deciding what to cook on a date to deciding to save someone from dying. It gives the player a great sense of control. This gives the game a massive amount of replay ability. Many of these choices can result in consequence. I would say most of the big choices in the game happen near the end.
    The conclusion I have come too is that this game is not for everyone. If you enjoy brilliant stories and you liked Heavy Rain, then definitely give this game a shot. Beyond Two Souls can be described using one word only, unique.

Pro’s
     Fantastic story with branching narratives
     Extraordinary graphics and animations
     Quick Time Events are fun and challenging
     Top notch acting performances
     Lots of replay ability
     You never want it to end
    Cons
     Gameplay can be unintuitive and confusing at times
  31. Add
    Oct 21, 2013
    First off this game is not for everyone. You need to understand what your getting into before making a purchase. But for those who love video games and movies with great stories and something interesting to say you will be very impressed and immersed. This is an experience. A journey even. Amazing to say the least. If you want to feel something and are open to new things look no further.
  32. Oct 22, 2013
    Great atmosphere during the whole game, each episode feels very differently. Episodes of childhood are great, recalled my long-forgotten feelings and memories. Gameplay has finally delivered, and not infinite swotting X’s, as was in Heavy Rain (which I do not like). Staging and graphics are at highest level. Story grotesque fantasy, as in some lousy anime, but first of all this game aboutGreat atmosphere during the whole game, each episode feels very differently. Episodes of childhood are great, recalled my long-forgotten feelings and memories. Gameplay has finally delivered, and not infinite swotting X’s, as was in Heavy Rain (which I do not like). Staging and graphics are at highest level. Story grotesque fantasy, as in some lousy anime, but first of all this game about emotions and feelings that are passed to the player. In that case this game is just great. Expand
  33. Oct 27, 2013
    This was a fantastic game experience! I rank Beyond: Two Souls as my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind only The Last of Us, and easily in my personal top 20 games of all time. If you care about a good story and compelling characters and their interactions with one another, then you should love this game. However, if you're wanting a lot of depth to the gameplay itself, this mayThis was a fantastic game experience! I rank Beyond: Two Souls as my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind only The Last of Us, and easily in my personal top 20 games of all time. If you care about a good story and compelling characters and their interactions with one another, then you should love this game. However, if you're wanting a lot of depth to the gameplay itself, this may disappoint. The gameplay mechanics are very light and simple, while still being fun, but they don't have the depth and satisfaction that a game like The Last of Us or Uncharted or Splinter Cell, etc, have. If you know that going in and you're on board for the story, then enjoy.

Another real joy of the game is getting to determine what choices Jodie and Aiden make and seeing how those choices play out in the small vignettes you play through as well as the overall storyline. There are also multiple endings that will be determined by your final choices.
  34. Nov 10, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls A great story which varies with your choice. Lovely characters Graphics close to the real life. Musics by Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean With Heavy Rain & Beyond, Quantic Dream leaves its mark on video games & opens up new perspectives. You must play this game
  35. Nov 13, 2013
    Possibly the most incredible and believable graphics to hit the aging PS3 console, Beyond: Two Souls offers a heart-touching, immersive experience to the players who are willing to play a game that thinks out-of-the-box in it's storytelling, something that rarely ever happens in it's genre.

The graphics cannot be empathized enough, the realism and believe value, running on the PS3 is amazing. You choose how Jodie goes through her extraordinary life in order to meet her conclusion. And aside from the rather unfitting ending (the part after choosing your ultimate decision), the game would have been a total of 10/10 for delivering a truly revolutionizing and amazing storytelling experience that is completely believable on the PS3, something that most other games have struggled to do.
  36. Dec 9, 2013
    This game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. ClockingThis game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. Clocking in at about. 9 hours (exploring areas fully) this was one of the few great stories that once I started playing I couldn't put the controller down. The walking dead and the last of us are probably the only two games that come even close in terms of emotional story telling. It should also be noticed that the voice acting, music, and sound effects are top notch.
    The controls, story pacing, and limited effects of choices are some valid concerns but really shouldn't dissuade you from playing. If you played walking dead the controls are similar but way less buggy in Beyond.
    Personal highlights from the game are the emotional story, some unexpected and spooky scenes, interesting and thoughtful gameplay using Aiden, and some amazing graphics. So glad I gave this game a chance as it's right up there with bioshock and the last of us for game of the year.
  37. Dec 9, 2013
    This Game is great and downright beautiful. but you have to bare this in mind Quantic dream's last title Heavy rain did it a little better I like "OH man if I don't make the right decision I'm going to up." While Beyond: Two Souls had those moments but they didn't carry as much weight:

Overall They game is great game I recommend you give it a Try
  38. Dec 15, 2013
    Beyond is not just a game, it is a totally different and commendable interactive and emotive experience. Sometimes too ambitious for its own good, but I loved it and I hope Quantic Dream continues surprising us with their quality.
  39. Dec 22, 2013
    A work of art, I've never been so involved in a plot since... Ever! Graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, character's expressions are just perfect, objects and stuff are OK, but I haven't seen any game do it better. I just wish the storyline was as much as changeable according to your actions as it was on Heavy Rain. An absolute must play, remarkable experience.
  40. Dec 29, 2013
    Below is my personal point of view about Beyond: Two Souls game. Please, note that as a player I was quite sceptical about interactive-movie game genre, but Beyond: Two Souls changed my opinion on the matter completely. Now I believe that good interactive-movie is the best format of telling truly amazing stories.

The story. Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good

The story.
    Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good interactive movie should be. Both genre of the story, and how exactly the story is told, make the game so very special. Personally, I'm not a fan of paranormal stories, but this game managed to show me such story in an unusual perspective and with very interesting ideas. The Infraworld and the Entities for example remind me the Fade and Spirits/Demons concepts from Dragon Age series, concepts that I find very interesting to think about and play with. Specific relanionship between Jodie and Aiden is also very interesting concept. And of course, what attracts me the most to the story the philosophical thinking about how different people are treating something/someone alien and each other. Thinking that is very important nowadays.

Ideas used in a game are very important, but they are not the only thing that shape the story. Representation of all these ideas is not less important. And that part of Beyond: Two Souls is just brilliant. The amazing actors' work and all the technologies that were used to move this work into game with awesome graphical engine, combined with beautiful music, great ideas and interesting scenario made the game masterpiece. I can't remember a book, movie, or game that seemed so important and so real for me. I played through the game twice already each time the same deep feelings and thoughts, each time I applauded in the end. Literally.

The gameplay.
    Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is mostly QTE, however I can't call this a disadvantage. Simply, because Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is very diverse and interesting. It uses the entire gamepad. Movement with left stick and looking with right stick reminds any modern third person game (but has much more diferent animations than any regular game). 8 different buttons can be used in three different ways (press, press-and-hold, press-rapidly), and in combinations with each other. Swipe-like interactions with right stick remind swipes common for mobile games very intuitive and handy. Even gyroscope and accelerometer are used. In addition to all of that, Beyond: Two Souls contains elements of different game genres stealth action, cover shooter, simulator, and quest. Finally, Jodie and Aiden gameplays are completely different. Basically, I can't recall any FPS, TPS, or RPG game that has such diverse gameplay possibilities, especially non-combat gameplay possibilities.
    Some people may say that Beyond: Two Souls has too small amout of gameplay, and I will disagree. The game has enough amount of gameplay. It's not too large, so I never got bored with doing the same thing over and over again. And it's not too small, so I get perfect level of immersion, and feel like I'm participating in the story's events, not just observing.
    Some people may also say that impossibility of protagonist's death is the game's disadvantage. But it is not, actually. It fits this particular story very well. And there are other good story-driven games that prove I'm right, for example Planescape: Torment and Darksiders-2. Beyond: Two Souls story depends on player's actions, but not in the way if you will die or not during the gameplay, but in the way of changing turn of events in the story's key moments.
    What I liked the most in Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is melee combat. I found it very dynamic, exciting, and sometimes very challenging. It was really exciting to see fully motion captured diverse melee and run scenarios with a lot of key-points for intuitive interactions, which are not always easy to perform. This kind of melee combat requires attention and concentration, it looks and feels really great and realistic, and honestly, I would prefer such melee gameplay over any other variants of melee regular games can offer nowadays.
    One more thing worth mentioning is dialogue system. What I like about it is that unlike other dialogue systems, it's quite challenging. You can't trigger dialogue scene, then go drink some coffee, talk to your fiends for a while, make a couple of calls, and then return to the game just to see the dialogue scene as you left it 20 minutes ago. Dialogue options are fading in matter of seconds. Sometimes they are blinking and flouncing in accordance to your character's condition when Jodie is tired or angry for example, and it quite hard to say something right in such a condition, just like in real life.

The conclusion.
    Playing Beyond: Two Souls is really amazing game experience.
  41. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  42. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability. This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  43. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  44. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  45. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the sameThis game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  46. Oct 19, 2013
    First of all, if you're just a gamer that wants to blast people's heads off than this may not be your type of game.
    But with amazing graphics, a very good story line and a really good cast of actors this games grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go of you till the end credits. This game made me play for 8 hours straight with a little break in between, but that's really rare for games these days.

People say the game is short, but it's not shorter than any other single player story of any other game.

To everyone who's looking for a nice game to play with a very good story, I recommend this game.
  47. Oct 13, 2013
    It's not for everyone. Like Heavy Rain before, and Indigo Prophecy before that, this is a game that will bring mixed opinions. So here's mine: This game pushes the PS3 to its limits. Some scenes do tend to show the PS3's age, but for the most part the game is near photo-realistic. I'd often forget that I was playing a "game."

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot better than Heavy Rain. Where Heavy Rain felt clunky and cumbersome, Beyond feels great and controls fine for the most part. There were a couple of parts where I tried to explore a certain area and the camera got all wonky, but that was only because the game was trying to lead me somewhere with a fixed camera angle and I was trying to ignore it. Mapping the fight scenes to the right stick actually feels great and natural. It certainly limits the amount of buttons you're mashing. The UI is also simple and attractive. My only issue being that the small white dot is easy to lose on screen sometimes.

Moving on, the overall performances in the game are fantastic. Ellen Page is magnificent and Willem Dafoe is amazing as always. However, in the end, I felt like this game doesn't come close to the amazing story in Heavy Rain. The biggest issue with this game is that you are in control of just one character the entire game. So death isn't really an option. Which means that, one way or another, your character is going to make it out of any sticky situation. Whereas in Heavy Rain, I actually felt like my decisions carried some weight to them. But if you enjoyed Heavy Rain despite it's control issues, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Beyond: Two Souls despite it's own set of issues. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to what David Cage has in store for us for the PS4.
  48. Jun 30, 2014
    An amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything thanAn amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything than happened at the time.

The motion capture and acting is unbelievable, and only wish such technology could used used in such an effective way for a survival horror (Last Of Us is not that).

So to start with the good: the action is amazing, the slower parts are engrossing, and the element of choice is so strong, every decision is second guessed. I won't have time to play every type of decision and ending again, but like with Heavy Rain, I'll always intend to replay again in the future if I ever find the time.
    There is a lot of variety in this game, Some levels seem so different and unrelated to the main story arc, that it's easy to lose track of the direction of the main plot. Also the visual styles between different levels are so different that it feels like every type of terrain or weather has been exhausted within this game.
    The main characters are interesting, with emotional depth, and full of soul (pun intended), that only could've come from such amazing actors and motion capture artists.
    Obviously Cage is a director and writer unlike any other, and his games/art are worthy of all the praise they receive and more.
    The visuals and atmosphere of the game are incredible, and this is definitely a game that's hard to put down.
    The fluidity of the story upon making a game-changing decision is a triumph, and despite the slightly jarring nature of jumping between memories in time, every change feels like it has a big impact, and there's nothing that feels "this decision would've brought out the same outcome".

However I do need to raise the negative points. Aside from the briefly mentioned jarring nature of jumping around in time, my biggest issue with this game was controls. I'm a huge fan of the unique and interactive nature of the gesture controls that David Cage's games use, especially on the PS3. Heavy Rain had a brilliant tutorial introduction level, and I don't recall ever having issues understanding what needed to be pressed during a scene. Fahrenheit was also pretty simple to grasp the controls of. However I really found myself struggling at times with Beyond Two Souls. Most of the time, all that exists to indicate an interactive element is a dot, and while usually it stands out well, and is easy to trigger, I found anything that even resembled a white dot (reflection of light, a bump on an object, etc) caused me to waste time trying to interact with it. Also the dot element changed in functionality at random times. The single white dot usually just meant I needed to swing the right stick towards the dot to interact, but whenever I saw a blue dot, I found myself getting a little confused. A blue dot means you need to lock on with L1, which is fine, but then this produces 2 more dots. Sometimes you are expected to bring the two dots together, sometimes apart from each other, sometimes over different characters, sometimes together onto a certain point against resistance, and sometimes to push the dots together, away from the blue dot. Then even this differs, in some cases you must push the two white dots towards the blue dot and let go, sometimes away from the blue dot, and hold, and sometimes away from the blue dot, and fling back forward, and then I also found there were times I was expected to bring away from the blue dot together, but then let go, sort of like releasing a stretched elastic band.

While all these movements are achievable, and fine, the indication of which to do where is not clear, and a lot of time there is a time limit where if you don't choose the correct interaction, your game will change completely, with the story changing for the negative.
    I found myself redoing a certain desert-based missions multiple times simply because the game refused to accept what I was trying to do, only because it wasn't clear what my options were.
    I found this incredibly frustrating, and this is a regular type of interaction that becomes infuriating during the time-sensitive moments.

Also,there are times where the game will give you an option "say nothing, do nothing" which you physically have to choose, but then other times you simply have to do nothing and wait a minute for the choice to be made. This can really break gameplay as instead of being drawn into the emotion of the moment, you're trying to figure out what options you actually have available to you. If there was a little more consistency it'd have been appreciated. I understand it was to make the game not too repetitive, but it ended up just being a source of frustration.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and hope to replay.
  49. Nov 6, 2013
    First the good things about the game.
    The character models look awesome even better than all the games I saw for PS4 on Gamescom. There are some memorable scenes. Usually the scenes describing the normal life of Jody are pretty good (the action scenes however are mostly terrible).
    Now the bad things. Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where
    First the good things about the game.
    Now the bad things.
    Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where every character was able too die and it would have a heavy impact on the outcome of the story).
    The controls are awful. You can move (Jody) more easily than the characters in Heavy Rain but in the quick time events you don't know what to do half the time. When someone attacks you don't know if you should push the stick towards your enemy (attack or counter) or away (for some evasive movement). Why not showing the direction like in Heavy Rain. Controlling Aiden is a pain in the ass too.
    Also there are only very few choices to make. You feel that you always have to do exactly what the game intends you to do. Story Changing Moments are very few.

All in all a great looking game with some good moments, but in total a back step compared to Heavy Rain.
  50. Oct 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics, Remarkable storyline, Great narrating, Stunning music, Amazing voice acting and an absurd gameplay! It's hard for some gamers to love it, yes, but it's also hard for everyone to hate this master piece!
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is not for everyone but for some who wants a rich story with great conflicted characters then this is your game. It's not a heavy action game with the gameplay being restricted throughout the gameplay. The Playstation 3 literally shows what it can do on its end to the Playstation 4 coming in a couple months.

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden,

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden, Choices
    Cons: Controls, Restricted game-play

Conclusion: Game-play is a little troubling to get through but the whole experience so rich and so great that people who skip the game would miss something so different than most games society has played.
  52. Oct 13, 2013
    This is a very unique game. The story drags, in some parts, but is overall pretty good when you see all of it put together. I liked this game, but it does drag along in some parts. Also, the combat is not that great, and I was often confused as to where I was supposed to block or hit a particular enemy, because of the positioning of the camera. Unfortunately, this brought me out of theThis is a very unique game. The story drags, in some parts, but is overall pretty good when you see all of it put together. I liked this game, but it does drag along in some parts. Also, the combat is not that great, and I was often confused as to where I was supposed to block or hit a particular enemy, because of the positioning of the camera. Unfortunately, this brought me out of the story, and was often frustrating. Also, the story jumps around a lot. As I said, in the end, it works well. But, while you are playing it, you wonder what is going on. I'm sure this was partially the intent of the director, but it often confused instead of inspiring me to find out more about the story. Instead of,"Man, what's next!" I was more like,"What the heck is going on now?", especially in the desert portion.

Now on to the positives. The game looks gorgeous. The character animation is wonderful. Some of the games coming out on the new consoles, don't look this good. Quantic Dream hit a home run with the visuals. The music is very good, also. All said, I liked the story. I liked that you could progress the story how you want, in certain parts. It is a shame that you couldn't do it more often.

All said, this was a really good game. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind watching a lot of cut scenes. If you liked Heavy Rain, I think you will like this game, too. But, truth be told, I like Heavy Rain more. I appreciate Quantic Dream doing new things. Everything didn't work perfectly in Beyond: Two Souls, but I enjoyed it anyways.
  53. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and IBeyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  55. Nov 9, 2013
    I rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiotsI rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiots because they don't get it. That's sad to me. This game is gorgeous, and so awesome. My other favorite game this year is The Last of Us. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good too. Expand
  56. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell the story of Jodie Holmes and her connection to the omnipresent and omniscient entity Aiden through a sporadic tale covering most of her life and bridging several worlds, uncovering some surprisingly deep revelations along the way. A true story of finding yourself as much as finding quality and acceptance in others.

Graphics: Excellently rendered animations and character models, only pulled down in some instances by weaker parallels in still models within the environments. The cinematic work is unparalleled in my opinion, for the most part.

Sound: Between the haunting and minimalistic melodies and the star studded cast, it's truly hard to find fault with what is present for sound quality.

Playability: The quick time contextual sequences work out much more fluidly than in previous Quanitc Dream games utilizing similar sequences of control, however the action moments can often make players lost and disoriented- which, while somewhat intended, can still be quite annoying at times when wrestling with control and chaos.

Entertainment: Despite falling down in the story and gameplay department at times, the game comes together well and has its genuinely impressive and deeply thought-provoking moments of fear, bravery, trust, and sadness.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  57. Oct 15, 2013
    I had my doubts about David Cages new epic. I really enjoyed Heavy rain and didn't take any notice of the moaners who kept on going on about it's only quick time blah blah blah. What was wrong with that game however was the acting which let it down badly in some scenes, not all by any means but some.
    I felt that maybe he hadn't learned his lesson and I had grave doubts about using Hollywood actors as they are actually different and most of the best voice actors or indeed motion capture actors are not really successful big name Hollywood actors. That may just me being conditioned to think that without any real evidence but that what I feared for this game, being a little too cheesy like Heavy rain was at times. I was wrong on so many accounts. Ellen Page is brilliant as the lead and the motion capture tech has evolved enough by companies like Cages that it genuinely captures the actors true talent that comes through loud and clear. Maybe this is the way forward now, to get actors who are at the top of their game, no pun intended, to play in more video games as Ellen takes this on to new heights imho.
    You may have read that the supporting cast aren't that good by some critics, well that's just not true. All the performances were good to excellent imho.
    A slight spoiler here but if you play as the spirit sometimes you'll see dead people in unexpected places. Very creepy and it works well. On this point this game really does send shivers up your from time to time, something that a Hollywood film has been unable to do to me for literally years!
    Another criticism of the game is the 'broken up narrative style' Many saying it confuses them somehow.
    I disagree again as this is not a film it is first and foremost a game and doing it this way lets you get straight into the action without the boring buildup in heavy rain before you get to the real action and good stuff. This too me work very well indeed and you don't lose the story it's just told in a more exciting way that works particularly well for the media it's made for.
    There is a real kicker at the end that I didn't see coming and though it's not an ending that is in say, bioshock infinite's' class that is hardly surprising as this is a game that gives you many endings and even though Cage is imho a bit of a genius he or say Ken Levine would find it impossible to come up with 20 odd equally amazing endings, but, as I have said there is a really good kick at the end and that's impressive enough.
    Cage likes to call his games interative experiences and to this end it should be judged as such and whether you personally like this style of gameplay or not it shouldn't stop you at least trying to understand what quantic Dream are trying to achieve with their excellent products.
    Is it game of the year? Well maybe not the game of the year as this has been a particularly good year for games such as The last of Us, GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite all of which deserve their illustrious reputations but so does beyond two souls and I would put it right up there with the best of the best.
    Buy it! it's a keeper
  58. Oct 20, 2013
    Great graphics, great animation, great story, but the direction is weaker than Heavy Rain. Individual episodes cause delight In the style of David Cage. The pieces of the story of adult Jody different and ambiguous. Too frequent changes of the setting breaks the immersion in the game. Just finished the game a second time to realize all full. Very emotional story. Everyone who from theGreat graphics, great animation, great story, but the direction is weaker than Heavy Rain. Individual episodes cause delight In the style of David Cage. The pieces of the story of adult Jody different and ambiguous. Too frequent changes of the setting breaks the immersion in the game. Just finished the game a second time to realize all full. Very emotional story. Everyone who from the first story seemed strange, I advise you to play a second time. Expand
  59. Nov 11, 2013
    It's an awesome game, with great graphics, and amazing mo-capping, but I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no real longevity to the game, once you've completed it; Just alternate cut-scenes.
  60. Oct 22, 2013
    So, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, othersSo, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, others will hate it.

As for myself, I very much enjoyed the experience. The story kept me playing for hours at a time, the graphics were stunning, and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe's acting was great.

A few minor complains may be the buttclench-inducing clichés that happen a few times throughout the story. With everything else, I couldn't be happier. I haven't played Heavy Rain or any other of Cage's games so I can't really compare them.

Overall it was definitely worth my time and money, and if you're looking for something very interesting, definitely pick this up, it certainly isn't the worst purchase you can make!
  61. Oct 26, 2013
    Love this game, best single player game I have ever experienced, finished the whole thing in one sitting, well into the early hours of the morning, that's how hooked and immersed I was by this emotional journey!

Though slightly confusing at first due to it's non linear nature, it picks up really quickly and the resolution ties everything together beautifully. I completely agree with the uncompromising way in which the story is delivered, it would not be as impactful otherwise. You get to be there with Jodie for all the highlights of 15 eventful and tragic years of her life and become very attached to the character.

The tech is cutting edge and easily the best looking game on the PS3, the animation fidelity and motion capture stick out particularly, you forget you're playing a video game. The attention to small details is unmatched. I don't usually rate games with a 10 but this takes the cake for me, can't wait to see what Quantic Dream come up with next!
  62. Nov 21, 2013
    First: you need to be the type of persons who enjoys story telling games like this.
    Beyond: Two Souls has an awesome story that totally caught me and it comes with incredible graphics and acting.
    The only negative thing about the game is the difficulty, which really is not challenging for any experienced gamer. Still, I never felt like "watching a movie" but always like I was actively making decisions and playing a video game.
  63. Oct 13, 2013
    Alright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games likeAlright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games like GTA, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, I think reviewers would have seen Beyond as a masterpiece, giving it scores similar to mine, all around. I suggest Beyond, to anyone who cares about storytelling, and don't need a game to be a classic game, following the rules of lodology. If you can enjoy titles like Gone Home, Heavy Rain and don't mind being an observer, of a brilliantly crafted world, with minor input, Beyond will give you, in return, the most touching story you will experience for a while, on par with the likes of The Last of Us and Gone Home. If you need your games to be a classic game though, I cannot recommend Beyond, instead I'd suggest you to just go play GTA: Online some more. Beyond does not deserve to win Game of the Year, but it deserves a mention, for it truly cracked my heart.

And something I cannot stress enough, is just how amazing Ellen Page, and William Dafoe performed in this. Ellen's tears makes you cry, and Dafoe's voice makes you shiver, an excellent performance by all the sub characters as well. The rest of the world also sounds amazing, the biggest exception being gunfire, which is a little on the disappointing side. Wind, cars, rain etc. sounds rather good though, so the audio in the game is great, but not nearly as great as The Last of Us, which had magnificent sounds and scores. Soundtrack is very fitting, but also a bit forgettable. Definitely one of the better soundtracks, but I would not go out and buy the soundtrack, and I don't think the soundtrack on it's own could bring me back to the emotions I felt in the game

The graphics in Beyond, does have a few misses here and there, but it is a really pretty game. Quantic made a wise decision changing the format ration, freeing the GPU of some pixel rendering, leaving the remaining are with more polygons and effects.

There are two chapters in the game, that left me disappointed, Navajo and The Mission. Navajo I believe should have been cut entirely, cause I felt it added nothing, except a few hours, and an extra choice. The Mission is very important to the story, but there is a bit where you meet a little kid, and I felt his whole story to be extremely odd. This kid, speaks a different language than you, but he understands when you tell him to stay close to you. I felt the whole relationship with this kid, was David Cage trying to punch emotion, for the sake of keeping the player intrigued, as the rest of the story was building. These are minor concerns though, in an otherwise brilliant story, that deserves much more praise than it has gotten. David Cage, you have my respect.
  64. Nov 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a good game. It is an entertaining journey that allows us a glimpse of future interactive entertainment.

We know people are very different. The can all enjoy different kinds of Movies, Games and sports. Our tastes are different. When reviewing a game like Beyond, its easiest to compare it amongst the relative small amount of games that inhabit that genre(s) and

When reviewing a game like Beyond, its easiest to compare it amongst the relative small amount of games that inhabit that genre(s) and not necessarily to the wider range of peers it could rank against.

I like to watch films(UK English) and I like video games, and having the two combined was a treat. While watching movies there are generally two things that frustrate me about a good story; The inability to choose a different cause of action to the one chosen in the film, and the length of the film. Beyond: Two souls and Quantum Dreams Studios have solved this.
    Imagining a Lord of the rings where we could have more control over the characters fate. On the flip side, It may eliminate the nostalgia of having read the books(Although they ended up being very different anyway).

I can imagine a future where movies cross to the line and become more interactive. With DVDs came the ability to change camera angles etc. although I still haven’t used it or seen it. Why? Well, other than it being possible to catch a better glimpse of a side-boob the feature is generally uninteresting. The ability to change the run of the story based on what we would do and how I feel at the time is what we I am really looking for.

Talking about the silliness of Beyond’s plot and the holes in the story would take a whole page to describe. I will leave the game magazines to plough through that. That is all inconsequential in comparison to the Audacity of Quantum Dreams to tell a story so provoking to the imagination is admiring.
    The plan this time around I guess, was to make amore empathetic and emotional ride for the gamer/viewer, to take the next step into the Future entertainment realm. It was a very good attempt. And it was fun to watch. Those who ever remembered “Alive” can see how this deal plays out with real life actors whose days –as technology rapidly advances in the years to come will be numbered.
  65. Oct 12, 2013
    An 8 is as high as I could go. The game captures emotions well and has soundtracks that truly fit the game. However, the story isn't always as well written. It's not as bad as some say it is, the game differs in a good way. There are enough PS3 games around so, in my opinion, there was enough room for QD to do it a bit differently, and in my opinion, with Aiden and the type of controlsAn 8 is as high as I could go. The game captures emotions well and has soundtracks that truly fit the game. However, the story isn't always as well written. It's not as bad as some say it is, the game differs in a good way. There are enough PS3 games around so, in my opinion, there was enough room for QD to do it a bit differently, and in my opinion, with Aiden and the type of controls they did a good job.

The negatives are that the beginning and ending seem the only interesting part as what's in-between doesn't seem as relevant. The great soundtracks seem to be repeated too often, but it was far from game breaking. You have to really focus on which controls you use when you have to defend yourself against a punch or an obstacle in slow-mo. You seem to be using the right direction with your right analog stick, but sometimes you still get to taste the punch. That could've been better. But overall it seemed like a story that will stick for a while. The ending is different class.

Beyond Two Souls does well, but It's pricetag for what it delivers is a bit too much. The story isn't all that long. It is a nice game, but a very expensive movie. If you play games often you won't have much problems with the controls in the game.
  66. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a gameBeyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a game that everyone Will like,for example a gamer that loves COD and is loking for constant action maybe Will be disapointed,a gamer that prefers story rater that gameplay is going to love the game Expand
  67. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is maybe the most emotional game I've ever played in my life as a gamer (already 25 years). I finished it yesterday for the first time and cannot get the characters and events out of my head. It is very intense experience there were moments I wanted to reach out to Jodie, give her hug and say "It's going to be okay!"
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain (also from Quantic Dream, 2010). I still remember that discomforting feeling moving Ethan into broken bits of glass.

One circumstance is keeping me away from giving it a 10: the lack of choice in some events and places.
    But overall, Beyond: Two Souls takes epic gaming to the next level. Games like this and Heavy Rain keeps me believing that games are improving continuously leading the player into new adventures.

Let me say something about Ellen Page there are very few words which are able to describe her breath taking performance and passion adequately. I want to personally thank her for giving this project a shot.

So everybody out there who is into story and gaming should play this videogame! Because it's not about discussion interactive movies vs. videogames it's all about the fun!
  68. Oct 13, 2013
    Excellent game, which will understand everyone.
    "Beyond: two souls" is a game isn't game of year. This game will be not loved by all. It it isn't ideal, but "beyond: two souls" captured me more feasibly than "heavy rain", and didn't release up to the end. If such genre of games is pleasant to you, from "beyond: two souls" you will be delighted...
  69. Oct 13, 2013
    This game's story offered one of the most fufilling experiences I've had in years. Ellen Page really makes you fall in love with Jodie Holmes with incredible sincerity. Amazing how much respect I've gained for her with her performance in a video game of all things.

I've finished this game twice, and the 2nd ending I got nearly moved me to tears. THEY'RE ARE OVER 20 ENDINGS I'M TOLD! With Kadeem Hardison and Williem Dafoe playing supporting roles, it's very well acted out material. Solid performances all around.

No, Beyond is not a deep gameplay experience: it's light on skill, little exploration, and you don't grow stronger or anything. There's a small learning curve with pointing the right stick in the direction of the area of attack during fights (esp if you're like me and played without the arrow). Truthfully though, I've got plenty of video games I can turn to to fill that deep gameplay experience void..plenty. Who cares if Quantic Dream's games take a more cinematic approach? Just about everyone else is still making video games in the "traditional sense". I have a diverse collection of games, and Beyond adds to that even more.

The Playstation 3 has several exclusive gems available. Beyond Two Souls is definitely one of those gems for the system. Graphically, it might arguably be the best the PS3 has ever offered. When you take the time to invest into the main character, and immerse yourself into her struggles with life and her reality, Beyond Two Souls is one awesome tale that can give you quite an emotional connection with an amazing protagonist.
  70. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is wonderful. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on PS3. The motion capture is as close to realistic movement as possible and the acting (especially Ellen Page and Willem Defoe) is incredible. I would go as far as to say Ellen Page as Jodie is the best performance in a game.

The controls are maybe a little basic. I would say Beyond plays more like an interactive novel or serial drama (like The Walking Dead video game from last year) then like a traditional game. Some people find this annoying and I could see why. I think Beyond's story manages to be engrossing and emotional. Ranging from quiet interactions to big action set pieces. The game is about 10 hours long. It might not be worth the full price to some but it is surely worth a rental. Everyone that owns a PS3 should experience this game.
  71. Oct 14, 2013
    Guys let's be fair to the game.
    Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter.
    The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear. What I do give it, is that the game can go in sooo many directions based on your performance and choices. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The idea of a high end graphic novel is amazing. I love it. The story is 100, it has
    Guys let's be fair to the game.
    Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter.
    The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear.
    The story is 100, it has mystery, depth, suspense, death, emotion, etc.
    This is a greatttt game. If you guys wanna talk about lack of action and character controller go review ACTION games. If you think this is so linear, let's peak over to Call of Duty. Tell me the different ways you can end the game. Please.
    All in all, great game, needs to be treated in its own category.
    My only complaint would be the slowness in which she hops over fences and goes through cracks or windows. It seems petty I know, but they aimed for a realistic graphic novel with playable aspects, in reality it doesn't take 45 seconds to go through a window.
    Great game! Love it! Watching/playing right now and I'm not even done, I'm hooked. MORE OF THIS GENRE PLEASE!!!!
  72. Oct 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect for story lovers and good graphics its must buy for any gamer who like David cage games just like heavy rain you ether like it too much or hate it for me it is the best game this year and the best thing in it the story and the acting
  73. Oct 14, 2013
    I liked this game, the graphics were off the charts and the gameplay was fun and cinematic. Although Aiden is very simple to play as, it still is very fun to take over people seing the results.
  74. Oct 15, 2013
    I cant believe the score's critics are giving this game.
    Beyond 2 Souls is a good game but its not a game for every one.
    Graphics: very good and character models look very good. voice acting and script/story: As you would expect from the makers of Heavy Rain the story is good and all of the actors do a great job especially Ellen Page who happens to be my favourite actor. game play: Now
    I cant believe the score's critics are giving this game.
    Beyond 2 Souls is a good game but its not a game for every one.
    Graphics: very good and character models look very good.
    game play: Now this is were the game get hated a lot as you know this is some what of a interactive movie so the game play is good in some parts bad in others.
    over all conclusion: Beyond 2 Souls is a good game and is a change because people have been begging for a change from over the top shooter and game like Beyond 2 Souls is the game and if your a person who can love a game based on its story then this is the game for you I had fun with the story.
    I give it a 8 I hoe the scores get better because people need to wake up and realize they complained for a new different game and now they got it.
    score: 8/10
  75. Nov 4, 2013
    Not all games need to have identical gameplay. This is not a shooter. It is not even a third person adventure, not in the traditional sense. It is an interactive movie.
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    If you liked Heavy Rain, you'll like this. it is like that, only with better story, graphics, controls and acting. Truly one of a kind and of excellent
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    Truly one of a kind and of excellent quality. I love this game.
    But like heavy Rain, be warned going in it has extremely limited replayability and isn't too long by other game's standards. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it was 10 hours long.
    But even one time through is worth buying. Rent if you're poor, but buy if you can to support well made art.
  76. Oct 20, 2013
    What happens after death, what is there in the beyond? These are the questions that Quantic Dream's new title tries to ask. Beyond Two Souls is an incredibly beautiful game with a very beautiful and emotional storyline with a few surprising twists thrown into the mix. Is this game really worth your time? Well... it really depends on what your looking for these days in gaming. If you expectWhat happens after death, what is there in the beyond? These are the questions that Quantic Dream's new title tries to ask. Beyond Two Souls is an incredibly beautiful game with a very beautiful and emotional storyline with a few surprising twists thrown into the mix. Is this game really worth your time? Well... it really depends on what your looking for these days in gaming. If you expect some AAA gameplay in this game, its not here (The Last of Us is a great alternative of storyline and gameplay). Also if you hated David Cage's previous title Heavy Rain due to the QTE's and slow gameplay then chances are you won't like this title either, this is stuff you should expect in a Quantic Dream game.

Beyond tells a story of girl named Jodie Holmes through her life ages 8 23. All her life she is attached to an entity named Aiden that protects her throughout the entirety of her life she tries to understand her entity's purpose here and understanding more on what lies beyond. This game is purely made for its story and the story here is exceptional, in addition, the performances by Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes and William Defoe as Nathan Hawkins are both amazing. The storyline here doesn't have as many plot holes like Heavy Rain does so that's relief. The story is very emotional and even more so with Heavy Rain and touches on a lot of sensitive subjects such as death, losing loved ones, and reconnecting with those we have lost (which I'm sure will make many shed some tears, I sure as hell did). It has an awesome plot that will keep you hooked for hours until the very end. However the only problem I had with the story was the way it is told. The game starts out in medias res and from there the story starts to jump around the place. For example, you would start out with Jodie in her childhood then jump into her in the military, then back to a kid, then teen and then suddenly you're wanted by the police. I kind of understand what kind of direction David Cage is going for doing a Tarantino style of direction, but all that does is make the story a little bit inconsistent. The connections between the story line is comprehensive yet I feel that the story being told in a linear format would've been a lot concise.

Beyond Two Souls was meant to be played as an experience and not for its pulse pounding gameplay which I'm not sure why people expect this from someone like David Cage. You have everything you expect from a game like this: linear structure, QTE's and button prompts to do certain thing around you. My favourite addition and mostly everyone else's favourite addition to the gameplay has to be Aiden. You are able to switch between Jodie and Aiden at any time during the game and as Aiden you are free to travel through matter, move objects, possess things and even suffocate people. This leads to test your morales in this game, for example, I was given a choice to get back at some kids that were bullying me. You have the option to get revenge or simply stay out of it. I chose to get revenge, while it was power inducing at first, let's just say there were a couple fatal and unfortunate events that have occurred. Even with Aiden's freedom you can't travel too far or else it hurts Jodie because of the entity connection and all that (I guess everything had its limits, right). Also the quick time events have been changed, everything has been moved to the right stick of the controller. The scheme is that you follow Jodie's movements with the right stick. At times it is hard to tell where Jodie is moving at time and can be frustrating for some but it didn't bother me the least because even if you fail all the QTE's the story still goes on. Since this is a Quantic Dream game, your actions can affect the entire story so there is some replay value within if you're interested in finding out what happens in another way of playing the game. There are also confirmed 12 different ways you can end this game (which is the same amount in Heavy Rain) and if you're a trophy hunter, good luck with a lot of playthroughs and grinding.

If you pre-ordered this game at Gamestop (or wherever you pre-order your games) you were promised to receive extra content, right. Yes we did let's list what we got: Additional gameplay, PS3 Theme, Avatars, and a Soundtrack (containing four songs, umm....) kind of a lacklustre pre-order if you ask me and the soundtrack while beautiful and haunting but really...only four songs. I remember in heavy rain there were at least sixteen songs and that's four times the amount than in Beyond. I expected a bit more from my pre-order other than a steelbook case.

Overall, Beyond Two Souls is well polished game with only a few bugs and texture pop-ins that isn't enough to break me out of the experience. Amazing and emotional story, memorable characters and haunting score. If you love games with a rich emotional story, I recommend Beyond Two Souls.

PS: Please provide feedback and like if this was helpful.

TY!
  77. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a great game. Graphics were great, and the acting from Ellen page and Willem Dafoe was excellent. Great soundtrack as well. The music was well suited to the various moods of the story as it progressed. Well done Quantic Dream.
  78. Oct 23, 2013
    At first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of aAt first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of a mix of a game, a film and a book. The story depth of a book, the visual and acting quality and general presentation (camera angles etc) of film, and the interaction of a game. As long as you're not expecting a game solely based around your skill and control of the character, then you'll love this game! Expand
  79. Oct 23, 2013
    Es un juego que de principio a fin te mantiene en vilo de lo que puede suceder, una rica historia, graficos de por si espectaculares, lastima que todo tiene un final, pero sin duda este juego quedara en el corazon de muchos, da bronca ver como tiene tan poco puntaje en ciertos reviews.
  80. Oct 24, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls muy buen juego, excelente!, es muy interesante y emotivo, incluso llegue a llorar en una parte del juego, es heavy en verdad, uno se adentra en la historia y quiere saber que pasará. Que sea como una película y que las decisiones que tomemos cambien el rumbo de la historia lo hace aun mas interesante.
    Un 10.
  81. Oct 26, 2013
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    The story for me was fantastic and I was happy to be along for the ride, completely immersed in Jodie's journey.
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    That is probably the most devisive thing about the game though, if you can't let yourself get pulled into Jodie's world then I can imagine it may seem muddled due to the shuffled stories and appear hard to follow..I do recommend you approach this with an open mind however as once you forget this is a 'game' and treat it as an experience you will be rewarded with what for me has been the best I've had in a long time, the 'Homeless' chapter especially as I've never cared so much about characters in a story as quickly or as deeply as in this one, such brilliant writing and indeed acting as Ellen Page and the supporting cast put so much emotion into their portrayal of those characters.

I wholeheartedly recommend you forget any score you've seen on any review site (including mine and this one) and find out yourself, but its definatley worth a try for the ride alone.
  82. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this was not only the most powerful experience in gaming I have ever had, it was also one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had,period. I have rarely been so enveloped into anything before in my life, and the fact that it came from a game is testament to quantic dreams talent,as in heavy rain you are taking through a tense and developing world but in this the character growth is near perfect in regards to its realism, by the end of the game I was left feeling like I had just reached a key moment in my life that will stay with me forever, I look forward to quantic dreams' next foray into cinematic gaming.
    (the game lost out on the 10/10 due to the slow motion combat being very hard to judge)
  83. Oct 28, 2013
    Redtail2212

Redtail2212

Beyond two souls is a story driven game that being said some action scene may to not be seen that well done but it makes up for it in the story. You fell for the main charter and the side characters it provide some of the best graphic seen on consoles. Some might argue that the game play was bad but the walking dead got game of the year and it was a point click game. Beyond two souls packs a epic experience for all players i just wish it was on PC.
  84. Oct 28, 2013
    Everything about this game is just as good as I remember Heavy Rain. Being like heavy rain sparked my interest in it, in the first place. But this game was absolutely incredible and a must have for any heavy rain fans out there. If you loved Heavy Rain, you'll love Beyond! No doubt about it!
  85. Oct 29, 2013
    awesome game i felt so connected to the story and great graphics cant wait to see what next gen has in store. controls and camera angels were a bit awkward at some times but other than that 10/10
  86. Nov 5, 2013
    is certainly in my opinion the best game of the century, in my opinion is better than gta and all others, I think Quantic Dream did a great job with a game like this so spectacular with perfect gameplay and graphics, a story perfect with otimos movements personagem.Enfim, took first place in my top 5
  87. Nov 10, 2013
    I really loved this game the story was moving the graphics were great and voice acting very good (i am a fan of ellen page too) about the gameplay it may not be the usual fast paced game everyone likes but i didnt find myself getting bored or anything...the only thing i disliked were the controls on the fight scenes mostly because I was not sure in some cases in which direction i wasI really loved this game the story was moving the graphics were great and voice acting very good (i am a fan of ellen page too) about the gameplay it may not be the usual fast paced game everyone likes but i didnt find myself getting bored or anything...the only thing i disliked were the controls on the fight scenes mostly because I was not sure in some cases in which direction i was supposed to move the character but overall a great game Expand
  88. Jan 8, 2014
    So Beyond Two Souls, my most recently completed game. Its a story about Jodie Holmes (played by Ellen Page), a girl who is linked to Aiden, an entity/spirit since the day she was born and how it affect her lives.

I went into the game with a range of thoughts from good to below average. And boy, my doubts were completely washed away from the moment I sat through the openings. One thing to take note though, this is more of an interactive drama than the average video game with guns and explosion, so with that aside, here are my thoughts.

Needless to say, games from QuanticDreams always has the best graphics on PS3, it is very cinematic so there is no 16:9 ratio but instead a letterbox resolution you typically saw in a movie. Gameplays are simple yet effective to progress through the story, you walk with the left stick as usual and push the right stick to the direction Jodie is moving when in combat. Aside from her, you can also switch in and out of Aiden most of the game and use it to solve majority of the puzzles. I have no issues with it but I can see why some people won't like it.

Unlike most story driven games, this plays non chronologically which means you jump in and out of the important events on her 15 year timeline, you will play her as a kid in a chapter then the next she might be in a desert hunting for terrorists warlord, this is very interesting to say the least, it lets you piece the puzzles together yourselves this way and I think its very smart, kudos to the devs. One negative about that is that since the story makes you choose your own decision in some sections, the consequences does not last as long as we want it to be like in The Walking Dead, another great game if I might add.

Character development is fantastic, you can really relate to them and actually give a damn about them in clutch moments. All of this is done by the stellar performances the actors put out, if you watch the first Spiderman trilogy, you might recognise Willem Dafoe, who plays Nathan Dawkins in this game, a fatherly researcher who takes cares of Jodie since she was a kid to find out and understand more about phenomena such as Aiden.

I can't say much about the stories without spoiling it but do expect some twists and some gut wrenching moments. Alright, lets close it up since its already 4am for me. The game has one of the most realistic facial capture, innovative gameplay, stellar performances, great executions on high emotional peaks, goosebumps inducing soundtrack and a F*CK TON of efforts put into this.

A great pick up for a change of pace if you ask me, I will recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Heavy Rain which is another notable title brought to you from the very same team. Thank you for reading my little review and I hope you enjoyed it.
  89. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking character models, nice looking environments/lighting, but some low-res textures in the objects. 9.

Sound: Hollywood voice actors, great soundtrack. 10. Gameplay: The game is filled with quick time events similar to Heavy Rain, although unlike Heavy Rain this game is a complete snorefest. You spend most of the game walking around and going into ghost mode

Sound: Hollywood voice actors, great soundtrack. 10.

Gameplay: The game is filled with quick time events similar to Heavy Rain, although unlike Heavy Rain this game is a complete snorefest. You spend most of the game walking around and going into ghost mode to manipulate object, but that is it. The first half of the game feels like a tutorial, and only 1 level in the game actually added average stealth gameplay. The rest is quicktime events and exploring, but the bad part is this game wasn't interesting. 6.

Story: The story is extremely boring, its a mix of playing scene after scene. The way the story is told is horrible. You play a part in the past, then in the future, then back in the past, and it just keeps scrambling the story around. The director thinks he has done something innovative but it is not, it just made the story uninteresting, uninspiring, confusing, and dumb. The only good thing about the game's story is that there is choice, and that there's a good plot twist. Beyond Two Souls trys too hard and never gives the experience that was Heavy Rain. 5.

Replay Value: If you like replaying snorefest scenes, but I sure will not. The game does add co-op so you and a buddy can enjoy the borefest together. I would normally ask that you purchase a game to support this kind of media, but beware this is no Heavy Rain, or Walking Dead, do not purchase this title. The actors do not warrant the price tag. The game case itself tells you that the director just wanted to make a movie and hiring Hollywood actors doesn't make this a good game. 5.

Overall Score: 7 out of 10.
  90. Nov 22, 2013
    Word of warning Some minor spoilers can be found through the review.

Sorry for the length of this text, but this game deserves that I put all my feelings here (let's hope it fits). Intro I enjoyed the game so much that for the first time since 2006 I felt like I had to share my thoughts. For that I actually created an account here on Metacritic. Let's do this! Graphics Ok... To
    Word of warning Some minor spoilers can be found through the review.

Intro

Graphics
    Ok... To Hell! I'll write exactly how I feel. There is no other way than saying this! Holy Blast! OMG! That's gorgeous, my PS3 almost melted (I'm still with the fat one, since '06 :D what a machine). The mocap is really smooth and detailed, the actors outstanding. That was quite a performance there.

Music
    I'm still listening to the score, it IS that awesome! Maybe even better than Heavy Rain's because I feel like it's more diverse. It truly has a movie feel and I won't forget it unlike almost every other game soundtracks. I knew Hans Zimmer for a lot of movie tracks, but I'll definitively add Mr. Lorne Balfe to the names to remember.

Gameplay
    One of the most important aspect of a game with his story. To those who argue it isn't a game, well it is close to an interactive movie, but you still can move freely. Few examples are The Condenser (totally felt like in Resident Evil for the mood), The Mission, Homeless, etc. I know it's not GTA V or Skyrim that are open worlds, but come on, don't tell me that game were more opened than Beyond back in the days of old Nintendo (yeah like Mario Bros., good old one-way side-scrolling. Still everyone calls it a game).

Story
    The story! Well, I don't dig paranormal activities... but for once, I did! I got sucked in so hard, that I did the game almost in one sitting (almost in fact because I started it around 11 pm and stopped at 4 in the morning to finally complete it after 5h of sleep :D). Yes, some part are a bit cliché, but let's be honest, look at how many zombie games there is... Seriously can you tell me that every single one of them is completely unique and not even a bit cliché?! I doubt it, I've done quite a few and I'm starting to think that the only way a zombie outbreak can occur is because of a virus... That said, I really like the way the story is split in chapters and that they are not played in order. It leaves you with only the timeline and title to try to figure out what happened, making you want to know more (after all when looking at memories, it's never really in order or maybe it's just me...).

Feelings
    My feelings about the game now... It was a roller coaster (not like Heavy Rain that I felt was a one way ticket to get depressed, always getting darker and sad)! Fear of the unknown, hate, stress, love, joy sometimes (snowball fight totally aimboted those kids!).

Just a quick comparison, Minor BF4 Spoiler in Battlefield 4 (near the beginning) you have to cut a leg. It happened so quickly that I don't know why but I didn't really realize what I did. I wasn't in the mood. I cut it quickly then moved on. But in Beyond, you think before doing something and not all choices are easy! So with all that, I really connected with the game and for the first time (I've been playing video games since '93 and a lot of them), I had to fight tears back and for that I applaud you Quantic Dream (There was tough moments in Heavy Rain but the constant change of character sometimes killed my immersion. I was a father looking for his missing son, I didn't care about the agent dude).

In conclusion, yes some parts were a bit predictable (actually for the past few years it has been the same for almost every movie I watched or game I played, except for The Stanley Parable. So I didn't really bother) but I didn't see all of it coming towards the end, I guess I was too focused on what was happening to Jodie in every chapter.

What began with a little sneak peek of a game walkthrough (that I hadn't heard of), turned into an incredible journey filled with such emotions.

I hope that Mr. David Cage won't change a thing about the way he presents us his stories. I definitively need more of that kind of game.

On a side note :
    Oh and by the way for those who think Beyond is only a movie and wonder why paying $60 when you can see the playthrough on youtube? Well I beat the game, went on youtube to see the rest of the walkthrough that made me discover the game and some other. It was interesting to see other people choices. But! It was very frustrating to know that they were missing something in some part of the game and to discover that me too I had miss some. So that's why it was worth. I was worth to live the experience, to actually make my own choices and to accept the ending that was based on what I did with a lot of small details and variations from others!

Thank you for your time, I once again apologize for the length of it, but I needed to let it all out, because this game, in my opinion, deserves it.
  91. Nov 24, 2013
    Having finished this game I can say it's worth playing. For some reason this game felt as if Metal Gear Solid 4 met Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. David Cage's games are for those who like to get deeply involved with the story line and don't mind some futuristic themes being interleaved with present day settings. For those who have played QuanticDream's older games you'll feel right at home.
  92. Nov 25, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls was originally meant to be a movie. So naturally YOU don't have much control. But if I had review it as a movie, I would give it 10/10. If you are going into this game thinking you are going to be 'good' at it, then this game is probably not the game for you, seeing as it is basically interactive cutscenes.

Verdict: This is an amazing game and a must play. But I would

Verdict: This is an amazing game and a must play. But I would say it is an experience rather than a game.
  93. Nov 26, 2013
    Although the game can be finished in a few days or less, I loved it! its dynamic, its different, its more like playing a movie. It may not be the technical experience some gamers are looking for, but it is engrossing and one can become emotionally connected with the main character who is the real Ellen Page well not the real Ellen Page but... you know what I mean. Its a roller coasterAlthough the game can be finished in a few days or less, I loved it! its dynamic, its different, its more like playing a movie. It may not be the technical experience some gamers are looking for, but it is engrossing and one can become emotionally connected with the main character who is the real Ellen Page well not the real Ellen Page but... you know what I mean. Its a roller coaster ride of a game that could be played over and over and be just as enjoyable the tenth time through. Expand
  94. Nov 27, 2013
    What a beautiful looking game!

But looks aren't everything and well, the story line is awesome! you do begin to care for Jody and the game does bring you out with emotions.

Gameplay is good, character movement a bit iffy in some places but the quick time events are engaging and you have a short time to think about actions.

If you enjoyed Heavy Rain you'll love this!
  95. Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great graphics and game play are featured in this character driven game. The main protagonist, Jodie Holmes always knew she was different and it is up to you to help steer her through missions, life or death decisions, and, well, basically, trying to save the world as we know it.

Game play comes in two modes normal (where there is more interaction and less prods and pointers) and easy (this is more about following the story than you needing any skills)

I can't recommend this enough. It can seem quite bleak in places but that adds to the realism.

Exceptional.
  96. Dec 2, 2013
    You will enjoy this game so much, no matter what. I loved it, but i took 1 point out because i didn't feel like i was puting my foot into the story. I mean that in Heavy Rain, i could change the story incredibly. Still, this game is awesome and i recommend it to everyone who owns a Ps3! Awesome graphics, gameplay improved, interesting story and characters... And... Ellen Page
  97. Dec 3, 2013
    The number One incridible gaming experiences i ever saw! This is the most emotional and memorable game experience ever. So much emotion to be lived in this game. WOW 10 ON 10 SERIOUSLY TRY IT!!!
  98. Dec 5, 2013
    The story is pretty generic but is really well told. The quality of the graphics varies throughout the game which was a little distracting for me. The game and story gave me a strong Metal Gear Solid vibe, Many people have stated that the second half of the game falls off because it jumps all over the place. For instance, there is a chapter where you go to an underwater base. This is theThe story is pretty generic but is really well told. The quality of the graphics varies throughout the game which was a little distracting for me. The game and story gave me a strong Metal Gear Solid vibe, Many people have stated that the second half of the game falls off because it jumps all over the place. For instance, there is a chapter where you go to an underwater base. This is the type of scenario that would be it's own independent movie in James Bond and they condense it to a chapter in this. I would have liked to see the game expanded in many different ways. It's short (about 7-10 hours). It has multiple ending to encourage replay but the story seems to more or less unfold in the same way each time. Expand
  99. Dec 14, 2013
    Beyond is definitely one of the top games of 2013, but it is NOT perfect or a masterpiece by any means. If you enjoy story and are looking for a "game" that's different from everything else out there, this is a must buy. I know that some people are complaining about plot holes and such, but none are game destroying by any means. Many can holes could be closed by just using some commonBeyond is definitely one of the top games of 2013, but it is NOT perfect or a masterpiece by any means. If you enjoy story and are looking for a "game" that's different from everything else out there, this is a must buy. I know that some people are complaining about plot holes and such, but none are game destroying by any means. Many can holes could be closed by just using some common sense or suspension of disbelief, which is good enough for me. The acting is great, script is pretty good, and the graphics are fantastic. Go into the game with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. The only things bringing the game down for me are the couple cases of inconsistencies in the story, the sometimes confusing QTE's, and the player choices not having much overall affect on the story other than affecting just that immediate situation. Expand
  100. Dec 8, 2013
    Great story, its have cool atmosphere and graphics, but something was missing. Very regret whatm this is complete-forget, not like Heavy Rain. So? Heavy Rain was better.

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.