• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 10, 2013
    First of all, this game is not for everyone... I don't know about you guys, but if i would have wanted an action game, i would not have bought Beyond Two Souls.Don't buy this game thinking you'll play a great action game....THIS IS NOT.
    From Quantic Dream, the guys who brought us Heavy Rain... what did you expected?
    Its true that this game is more like an interactive movie, and this is

Its true that this game is more like an interactive movie, and this is why i love it. I want more of these games. So different from all the game i normally play.

I had some issue with the control at the beginning, but nothing serious. I did not encounter any ''Game breaking" or "immersion breaking" glitch. My gameplay was smooth and really enjoyable.

Graphics are amazing, music is intense, moving.. and the story was way better than any movie you'll go watch in theater.
  2. Oct 9, 2013
    Ok so it's not a game like we are used to play...So??

But oh my god, this game is one of the best ever created! Every scene you play is great.We all like great movies right?So why not be part of one?

Do yourself a favour and get this game as soon as possible.

Thank you again David Cage.Thank you for this masterpiece!
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls repeats what Heavy Rain did a few years ago. It shows a brilliant plot, stunning graphics and strong characters with an unusual fate. Such a game could appear only from Quantic Dream studio because those guys know better than others how to make you sit on the edge of your chair till the final credits.
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome graphics, beautiful gameplay, maybe a interactive novel, excellent characters great history you can felt joy, suffer and felt scary with the protagonist,
    good work for Quantic dream
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    Absolutely stunning and unique game. You will experience new variety of emotions with respect to Heavy Rain and with respect to all other games. Masterpiece and one of the mine favorite games now!
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    Best cinematic game ever. Perfect graphics ,interesting story. The combat is really challenging. And the soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in video games .
    This is the best Quantic Dream game untill now
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buyingThis game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buying a game... You are getting an experience. Expand
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    Amazing experience, but I can't use the word game. This is an immersive storytelling masterpiece, interactive but not open. With a variety of endings and multitudes of choice throughout that serve to colour your experience rather than shape it, David Cage has taken what he learned in Heavy Rain and added polish. Page and Defoe provide excellent voice acting as you are taken on theAmazing experience, but I can't use the word game. This is an immersive storytelling masterpiece, interactive but not open. With a variety of endings and multitudes of choice throughout that serve to colour your experience rather than shape it, David Cage has taken what he learned in Heavy Rain and added polish. Page and Defoe provide excellent voice acting as you are taken on the life-long journey of Jodie and her imaginary friend Aiden. You spend the many hours uncovering the mystery of Jodie and her connection to this mysterious being that has shadowed her throughout her life.

Controls can be a bit jarring in one or two places, but QuanticDream made the interesting choice of not spoon-feeding them to you, leaving the player to figure out things on their own. This can be frustrating but is ultimately rewarding as you really feel accomplishment at what you achieve.

Amusingly many seem to have already missed the point of Beyond: Two Souls. This is not a game. If you want a sandbox, play Fallout or Skyrim, each excellent games in their own right. But here you are taking part in an immersive, interactive and stunning story. Be forewarned. Quite simply one of the best media experiences I've ever had.
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is absolutely gorgeous and truly one magnificent piece of art. David Cage has delivered yet another step forward in the world of video games and for that he is applauded. This game is refreshing, bold and different. I recommend everyone to at least try the game once because although it might not be for everyone I can promise you that as soon as you begin the game you willThis game is absolutely gorgeous and truly one magnificent piece of art. David Cage has delivered yet another step forward in the world of video games and for that he is applauded. This game is refreshing, bold and different. I recommend everyone to at least try the game once because although it might not be for everyone I can promise you that as soon as you begin the game you will appreciate all the hard work put into this game. No spoilers or pros and cons in this review, this is just me letting you know that you should seriously consider giving this game a try. Expand
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    In a word: Awesome
    Graphics, animation, story, gameplay, musics... Everything is awesome.
    I found my game of the year without doubt.
    I plat with my wife, it's really good, she play jodie and I play aiden.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    Just, amazing I can't believe that this game run on a PS3 it's so beautiful.
    the story is just amazing too, and playing with the entity (Aiden) is really enjoyable.
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    It is very strange game that doesn`t look like anything else. You can love it or you can even hate it, depends on your tastes. But it`s absolutely clear that this game is another phenomena in gaming industry. Quantic Dream delivered something unexpected even for their fans.
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    it is a truly unique experience that every gamer deserves to experience (even the critics too shallow and narrow minded to accept or comprehend it). dont listen to the haters of this game. there are many people who have this pretentious bias against ambitious cinematic, story centric games like this and also have a strong disdain for david cage. these conspiratorial individuals think he isit is a truly unique experience that every gamer deserves to experience (even the critics too shallow and narrow minded to accept or comprehend it). dont listen to the haters of this game. there are many people who have this pretentious bias against ambitious cinematic, story centric games like this and also have a strong disdain for david cage. these conspiratorial individuals think he is trying to erase all genres of gaming and will turn every game in existence into an interactive movie.

if you are not one of these people, and you are not going into this game with the sole intention of hating it, you will not only like this game, but love it. their claims that it is "a movie with no gameplay" are beyond ridiculous. there is more gameplay here than there was in heavy rain or the walking dead. Its graphics and presentation are the best the PS3 has to offer, bar none. even naughty dog's masterpeice "the last of us" isnt quite as polished in animations and visuals. the story is well paced, the characters well written, and the acting top notch. the game accomplishes what it sets out to do. no you wont be chopping off heads or shooting aliens. this is a rare genre and this game is the best it has to offer. try it for yourself.
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is the reason why I sold xbox but still kept ps3. And it haven't failed me. Whoever loved Heavy rain can expect even better storytelling, incredible graphics, extraordinary atmosphere and really unique experience.
    I think that whoever have ps3 has to try at least demo, but beware, final game is much more interesting than demo.
    One of the five best games in this generation for
    One of the five best games in this generation for me with without the doubt best atmosphere.
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    A great game with a share of drama and a touch of mysticism. The gameplay is very interesting from the point of view of interaction between two characters,the game itself has a number of ways of development of the plot,natural variability, not so many as in heavy Rain,but it does not make the game worse.In conclusion to all I want to say that the game was a success and I don't understandA great game with a share of drama and a touch of mysticism. The gameplay is very interesting from the point of view of interaction between two characters,the game itself has a number of ways of development of the plot,natural variability, not so many as in heavy Rain,but it does not make the game worse.In conclusion to all I want to say that the game was a success and I don't understand who she might not like it one of the best games of the year 10/10 Expand
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    Simply put: not a game for the masses. I would hope everyone out there would be touched by it's message but as a "senior" player I know better. The story holds very deep thoughs about what lies beyond our world and how our world supposedly interacts with the other the one we don't know, but many do think it exists. Gameplay although intuitive can be a bit frustrating at first but one canSimply put: not a game for the masses. I would hope everyone out there would be touched by it's message but as a "senior" player I know better. The story holds very deep thoughs about what lies beyond our world and how our world supposedly interacts with the other the one we don't know, but many do think it exists. Gameplay although intuitive can be a bit frustrating at first but one can adopt to commands very swiftly. Graphics is top level and a thing to expect from this gen's most powerful game console. No compromises here. This equals for an excellent orchestra music. Without a doubt one of the most important(!) games till date. Expand
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond is an adventure that really touched me. Playing as Jodie and Aiden is real genious. Quantic Dream knows how to make interactive dramas. The most ambitous game of the year!
  18. Oct 8, 2013
    If you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game. It's not for everyone, but Quantic Dream is to be commended for aspiring to be something greater and far different than anything or anyone else in the industry.
    The graphics are absolutely next-gen quality,the characters are well developed, and the story and themes will make your heart break at times. Are there things I don't necessarily like? Sure, but Beyond:Two Souls greatly succeeds in spite of them. You become so wrapped up in Jodie's story that you not only deal with the flaws, but forget them completely.
    If the Last of Us showed you that emotions can be brought to life in a very real way, then Quantic Dreams' Beyond:Two Souls proves that it can permeate and completely saturate the entire length of a campaign.
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    Incredible game with really interesting, non-linear, storytelling system, charismatic characters, stunning visuals and great music. One of my favorite games this year. David Cage is a really master of his job.
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    And again, quantic dream created a new masterpiece in gaming, they never let us down in terms of interactive drama genre, all of the details of the game are so great from protagonist and the story, i am starting to like ellen page of her stunning beauty.
    The only thing makes bad in this games is the controls, it is not very suitable in ds3, but thanks to their app BEyond Touch for smartfones, the control interface of the game makes easier than using ds3
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    Best graphics, great game, history,. Simply the best. GOTY best graphics. Quantic Dream, congratulations for this work of art. For jealous people that are giving low note, my condolences.
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond the imagination, this game it`s so very very perfect, graphics, beutifull gameplay gta,cod, users not like this, because not shoot, not run, not online multiplayer) and the story it`s perfect, this game gona be, the game of the generation, not the overated GTA V.
  23. Oct 8, 2013
    One of the greatest experiences ever, just completed it only a few hours ago and already I want to replay it to see the (22) alternate endings!

Amazing game, you'd be stupid not to buy it assuming you love a good story.
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome game Great story, graphics and gameplay. Quantic Dream has crafted a really immersive and emotional experience, unlike any other I've played before. It's a must play.
  25. Oct 8, 2013
    Amazing game.How do I put this? Let me see. I played BEYOND and LOVED. l loved it.

Why? Because all this shooting, ridding, open world, headshot, deathmatch, all this stuff, IS VERY COOL, but it gets kinda boring after a while. WE NEED crazy diferent games like Heavy Rain and Beyond to unwind after GTA5, befor we can dive into WatchDogs. Then we need something crazy like South Park,

Why?

Because all this shooting, ridding, open world, headshot, deathmatch, all this stuff, IS VERY COOL, but it gets kinda boring after a while. WE NEED crazy diferent games like Heavy Rain and Beyond to unwind after GTA5, befor we can dive into WatchDogs. Then we need something crazy like South Park, befor we can go on to Killzone or Dead Rising 3.
    That is why I LOVE QUANTIC DREAM and David Cage.
    The graphics are amazing, the gameplay it THANK GOD diferent from the GTAs and CODs of this world, the history is unique and interesting, the game is fun,it drags you in and don´t let go, this is all I want from a game right now.
    Beyond is amazing, loved the demo, it really shows what kind of state our "game critics" are, they are getting more and more like music critics, giving 4 and 5s to the Bon Jovis and Def Leppards of the world and 9s and 10s to the REMs and U2s.
    I don´t care, I had enough with headshots and team deathmatches for this year, it is time to play something diferent: WELCOME BEYOND!
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    Nota 0 sem jogar? então tenho direito de dar nota 10 só pela coragem de se fazer jogos com propostas diferentes, vamos abrir a mente e sair do mesmo do mesmo. A DEMO já mostrou parte disso, espero ao final gostar ou não gostar, mas experimentar, quem disse que gostei do final de The Last of US? mas daria um 0 por que não era o que esperava?
  27. Oct 8, 2013
    Say what you want about "what is a game", but video games as an industry is YOUNG compared to other media. You would be a fool to miss out on this spectacular ride of a game that is changing how we interact with characters and story. Don't be a sheep.
  28. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is the best. David Cage is a genius. You should buy this game with your money because it is game of the year and David Cage is a genius. David Cage you genius.
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    I've never played a game that has emotionally moved me in multiple directions like this one has. Nor have a played a game that gives me the feeling that I have so much power at my fingertips than this one. So many choices I make are a reflection of who I am. This game is, in a word, engrossing. I can't put it down. My wife doesn't want me to play unless she can watch because she tooI've never played a game that has emotionally moved me in multiple directions like this one has. Nor have a played a game that gives me the feeling that I have so much power at my fingertips than this one. So many choices I make are a reflection of who I am. This game is, in a word, engrossing. I can't put it down. My wife doesn't want me to play unless she can watch because she too is engrossed in it. The acting is fantastic; the graphics are jaw-dropping, especially facial representations. The performances by all characters are super. Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are, of course, great. I really liked the homeless guy too. Playing as Aiden is intense and darkly satisfying at times. I think the camera movement for Aiden's first-person view is perfect. It gives the feel of floating or swaying back and forth like an entity, which he is. No rigid first-person mechanics here. David Cage and Quantic Dream have knocked another one out of the park with Beyond: Two Souls on all levels: gameplay, story, graphics. For me, highly anticipated and well-worth the wait. Expand
  30. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  31. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is really awesome, a movie-game when chance the concepts of the industry, really serious and deep, is one game when or you love, or you hate, like heavy rain, but in my case, i really really love this one.
  32. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an incredibly emotional and stunning experience. Throughout the game you'll often find yourself tearing up, whether it is of joy or sadness. Quantic Dream managed to create a game that binds you to its characters like few games are able to. Ellen Page's and Willem Dafoe's performance is incredible and really adds to the atmosphere. The story is really thrilling andBeyond Two Souls is an incredibly emotional and stunning experience. Throughout the game you'll often find yourself tearing up, whether it is of joy or sadness. Quantic Dream managed to create a game that binds you to its characters like few games are able to. Ellen Page's and Willem Dafoe's performance is incredible and really adds to the atmosphere. The story is really thrilling and switches from brutal action to everyday life. A unique, story-driven experience for every open-minded gamer out there. Expand
  33. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome game so far, awesome story and magnificent characters.
    After playing like 3 hours, i enjoyed everything in this game, from level design, to voice acting, emotions feel like real.
  34. Oct 8, 2013
    This is how you make an interactive game. David Cage hit the old nail on the head with this one.
    The only thing that is upsetting is the controls when you have combat scenes, all others was top notch.
    Aiden the supernatural best friend of Jodie is interesting and its always interesting to see how their relationship becomes stronger. A great story, and a very impressive game.
  35. Oct 8, 2013
    Wonderful graphics.
    Beautiful story.
    **** choices.
    Awesome gameplay.
    Awesome OST.
    Beyond Two Souls is the best game of all times, and obviously the Game of the Year.
  36. Oct 8, 2013
    What a beautiful game! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this type of game, it's a lot like a choose your own adventure book. They give you choices and opportunities and the results fold out into your story. Excellent storytelling Quantic Dream!
  37. Oct 8, 2013
    Good evening editors of magazines and websites i want reminds you this game on current generation and if there any game else should take low rate its GTA5! rated 9.7 just because its foolish and full of dirty language glitches and stupid story! but its good enough for American!
    Everyone rate this game under 9 shouldn't play games or name him self editor?
  38. Oct 8, 2013
    Perfect Graphics, Perfect History, perfect plot, this game is a GOTY. The actors make a good interpretations, the options that Jodie can make in the game are awesome.

Trolls of metacritic, stop make stupid opinions.
  39. Oct 8, 2013
    Th game looks absolutely stunning (hats off to the modeling/animation/design team), but story- and gameplay-wise is just a hodgepodge of various ideas. It's almost as crazy as Indigo Prophecy.

One moment you are little girl with super powers, then you're in Somalia sprinting from one chest-high wall to another in order to assassinate a warlord, then you live with some native american family in the desert trying to fight off some evil-Vendigo-type-of spirit, then you're in Siberia infiltrating Korean underwater secret base in a submarine in order to blow up a ghost portal to another world..
    All main story twists are highly predictable, since its just a mix of several overused clichés.
    Gameplaywise, this game has an identity crisis. It tries to be so many things at once, but fails at most of them. Game's controls can be very unresponsive at times, especially when you ride a horse. Sometimes it doesn't matter what button or direction you push, the game just does its thing for you. Also there is no game-overs. It like playing Dragon's Lair game, failing all QTEs and you still progress in the story and still get to see the ending(s).
    With this game David Cage once and for all proved, that he is indeed M. Night Shyamalan of video games.
  40. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is just the most fantastic game i ever played, it worth every minute!! The story is amazing and there is so much emotion i just love every minute i spend to play it! Expand
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    Excellent Game! Great graphics, great story, great acting by Ellen Page and William Dafoe! Very excellent and intuitive controls. Overall another amazing game made by Quantic Dream! BETTER THAN HEAVY RAIN!!! 10 out of 10. It did NOT deserve a 6 out of 10 from IGN. It deserves a 10 out of 10! Props to Gamespot for giving it a 9 out of 10.
  42. Oct 8, 2013
    NEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired ofNEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired of them. But Beyond: Two Souls is just what we need now. A game which has different storylines based on the player's decisions? Awesome! Having to be a human (Jodie) and an entity Aiden)? Double Awesome! And to be able to connect with the characters and truly understand them? Triple Awesome. I'm more of a critic but this is the only game I've seen that's better than GTA V, Assassin's Creed 3 and Call Of Duty 6. It's PERFECT! Expand
  43. Oct 8, 2013
    It's pretty sad that the game has no critic reviews.
    It's pretty sad that the game has no critic reviews.
    Anyway, here's the deal. The game is okay, but the developers showed way too much footage and spoiled way too many scenes in all the trailers they released. We ended up with a story that we know 80% of what happens in it. For a game that strives on story, it sucks that there wasn't much story to be told. By now i've used the word "story" quite a lot, but that's just what Beyond is: A story. An interactive one.
    It is way too linear. None of your choices influence any outcomes, unlike Heavy Rain, where every decision you made created a difference.
  44. Oct 9, 2013
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads.
    The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial.
    QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama. Interactive drama should not become trivial linear film, but interactive movie sandbox. the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator. Instead of hiring actors of
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads.
    The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial.
    QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama.
    the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator.
    Instead of hiring actors of hollywood, would be better to take classes in game design
  45. Oct 8, 2013
    The game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming fromThe game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming from someone that somewhat enjoyed Heavy Rain. If you're curious of the story, just watch Youtube videos. You're bound to get the same experience. Expand
  46. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond two souls is a beautiful game and sadly that's the only good thing you can say about this "game".
    When i sat down with beyond two souls in my hand i did not expect ending up so disappointed as i did this is nothing but a movie since the choices you make does not matter at all and gameplay wise it's dreadful!
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i expected more then 9 hours of cutscene for a story that is dull and has been done in many movies before!
  47. Oct 9, 2013
    1. This is NOT a game. This is an interactive movie.
    2. TERRIBLE Controls. Far from intuitive.
    3. Nice graphics. Characters are lifelike.
    4. Strange story. Starts off confusing and is not that engaging.

I would not recommend a purchase. This is a rental at best. I was deeply disappointed.
  48. Oct 8, 2013
    I went in believing this might be the next big blockbuster akin to something like aliens but it's rather disjointed and pretentious

wait till it comes to Netflix
  49. Oct 8, 2013
    I am not even going to call this a game because it is flat out not a game. I was able to beat this movie incredibly early on and I am incredibly disappointing with the complete lack of any semblance of actual new game-play. So why pay 60 dollars for a movie with horrendous game-play when you can simply watch the entire thing on youtube for free?
  50. Oct 8, 2013
    What a shame Willem Dafoe's great performance is wasted on this trash. Gameplay is nearly non existant and even if it were marketed as an interactive movie it's still bad. David Cage proves once again he's nothing but a talentless hack.
  51. Oct 8, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, but couldn't. I wanted to play a game not a movie. I didn't like the controls, the gameplay, this game bored me so much I couldn't even follow the story I was falling asleep, and I didn't like how one minute you're a kid and then the next you're a teenager with no explanation for it. I also thought I was going to like the entity, but I didn't like itI really wanted to like this game, but couldn't. I wanted to play a game not a movie. I didn't like the controls, the gameplay, this game bored me so much I couldn't even follow the story I was falling asleep, and I didn't like how one minute you're a kid and then the next you're a teenager with no explanation for it. I also thought I was going to like the entity, but I didn't like it either. I just expected a whole lot more out of this game. I was told the person who made this made Heavy Rain and I heard that game was good, but since I didn't like this one I most likely won't like that one. This is just my opinion on this there are a lot of mixed reviews about it. If you want to know how it is you have to give it a try yourself. This is definitely no 10/10. Expand
  52. Oct 9, 2013
    This game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praiseThis game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praise for Heavy Rain has effectively sent the message that game writers don't have to try and create a tight, cohesive story. All they need to do is clumsily copy a bunch of classic movies with less than half the care and attention to detail in order to trick people into thinking their game is mature. Expand
  53. Oct 9, 2013
    This is not a game, as absolutely none of your actions actually influence anything. You can fail anything and the game just progresses as normal. As far as a movie goes it's very poor.

Disgusting.
  54. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a failure on many different levels. As a movie, which David Cage clearly wanted to advertise this game as, it's plot is all over the place, it's character development almost nonexistant, and it's ending absolutely ludicrous. Several glitches during my playtime caused quite a few bugs that would have broken my immersion several times, if the wooden acting from Page andBeyond: Two Souls is a failure on many different levels. As a movie, which David Cage clearly wanted to advertise this game as, it's plot is all over the place, it's character development almost nonexistant, and it's ending absolutely ludicrous. Several glitches during my playtime caused quite a few bugs that would have broken my immersion several times, if the wooden acting from Page and Defoe hadn't already done it for me.

As a video game, I don't think I even need to explain here. Quick Time Events do not make for compelling gameplay. The Last of Us, another recent story-based game, still had a great deal of gameplay that engaged the user way more than "press X to not die" ever will. The environments are bland, and the only good character models are the ones for the main characters on screen. "Dreamcast people" come to mind frequently.

And although I'm not one to talk, if you take a look at the 10/10 reviews that have popped up for this game, you'll notice that very few of them have reviewed a single other game on here. Food for thought.
  55. Oct 8, 2013
    David Cage captures emotions and graphically it's fine, However the story/plot is horrible and he must of realised at last second he needed to chuck a game somewhere in it. For a game so focused on story it just did nothing for me. 1/3 ain't bad?
  56. Oct 8, 2013
    Really awful.

I'll try to review it objectively considering its meant to be 'an experiment', with no gameplay/interesting mechanics to speak of.

But the story was drab, graphically you would have expected more at this late stage of hardware optimisation.

Very underwhelming.
  57. Oct 8, 2013
    Whilst a very visually attractive game, David Cage's Beyond: Two Souls proves to be quite soulless, with a confusing, cliched story and unappealing characters. Give this one a miss.
  58. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm not happy with this game, it promised so much, the demo was awesome and then, when i play, all i see is a movie wannabe game, the gameplay is so poor that in the end i was only playing for the story.
    I kinda regret buying it, if it was cheaper maybe it would worth it, but with 59,99 dollars, you can do better.
  59. Oct 8, 2013
    Terribly short. You can tell since it released today and yet so many people are already giving it 10/10s. Not worth $60, especially considering how heavily it relies on narrative and graphics to make up for the complete lack of gameplay. If you strip away all the surface elements, it's easy to tell that the last thing on Quantic Dream's mind was to make a game and they would rather beTerribly short. You can tell since it released today and yet so many people are already giving it 10/10s. Not worth $60, especially considering how heavily it relies on narrative and graphics to make up for the complete lack of gameplay. If you strip away all the surface elements, it's easy to tell that the last thing on Quantic Dream's mind was to make a game and they would rather be making movies (although there's probably a good reason why they're stuck making 'games' and not movies).

Beyond: Two Souls is a poor attempt at mimicking the success of Telltale Game's 'The Walking Dead,' which not only released at half the price of Quantic Dream's story, but it also allowed players to buy the story in smaller chunks at even cheaper prices in case they weren't sure they were going to like it. $60 for something that plays exactly the same is almost criminal.
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    Whatever happened to video games being like video games? I tried the demo and it was the most unfun POS ever with some of the worst controls I have ever experienced. Beyond: Two Souls does not deserve more than Beyond: Two Sales.

I will stick with real video games and not this casual junk that wants to be a movie. Keep your movies out of my video games.
  61. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm generously giving this "game" a 1. The graphics are pretty good, not the best I've ever seen, not the worst. The music and sound are pretty top notch, all things considered. The story I can see as a love it or hate it type thing. I thought it was interesting, but not overly so. The gameplay is non-existent.

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input any command at all, and the story just plays itself out as if I wasn't even there. Then it's not a game friends. It's a movie. Now if Beyond: Two Souls want's to be a movie that's fine, I'll buy the 20 dollar blu-ray. Instead of the 60 dollar whatever this is supposed to be.

Just to illustrate how disappointed I am, I've got about 90 games in my collection, this will be the first game I trade-in, which is saying something, considering I have two copies of White Knight Chronicles 2 for absolutely no reason.
  62. Oct 8, 2013
    In my opinion, the most overrated game I've ever seen. Another fuzzy movie from Quantic Dreams: only one scene of real action games, controls I can not even tell who is oriented on this game
  63. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a terrible, TERRIBLE game. Controls are even worse than in Heavy Rain. You have *no idea* what you're supposed to do half the time. You have to jump over obstacles the camera doesn't show; punch characters in a doorway you assume you're supposed to scramble past; push the right-stick towards the enemy to push when it looks like Jodie is about to duck...and then there's "Aiden".It's a terrible, TERRIBLE game. Controls are even worse than in Heavy Rain. You have *no idea* what you're supposed to do half the time. You have to jump over obstacles the camera doesn't show; punch characters in a doorway you assume you're supposed to scramble past; push the right-stick towards the enemy to push when it looks like Jodie is about to duck...and then there's "Aiden".

First, what's with all these game characters named Aiden lately? There are fewer than 1,584 people in the U.S. with the first name Aiden. 0.0005% of the US population. I swear I didn't even know there was such a name until Heavy Rain, Just like I didn't know children to Chicago natives had accents.

Aiden is a supernatural entity you play as from the first-person to get Jodie out of jams. She'll frequently cry, "Help me, Aiden!" and you'll be facing some awkward direction and the screen will be blurry. Now you have to float Aiden around the area with all the grace of a flying refrigerator.
    It's almost impossible to figure out what you can interact with because you have to be an inch from it to tell most of the time. To do anything, you hold R1, and move both control sticks. But you never know which direction! Sometimes you have to pull them apart, charge, and release to "zap" objects, pinch together to choke, continuously pull apart to possess enemies, rotate them...you never know what you're supposed to do.

Finally, the oldest problem in modern games, terrible writing. This is a European fan-film remake of E.T. with all the cliche's of a Hollywood chase scene, complete with no less than 5 state troopers chasing you on top of a passenger train. Why did 5 out-of-shape rent-a-cops climb on top of a train at once? And why do all of "Bakerstown"'s finest sound like Batman street thugs? Why is the SWAT team-member flailing his arms around near the explosion when he's not even on fire??? I was frequently expecting some guy to drag a fruit cart in my path so I could crash through it. Heavy Rain had a chicken coup in Walmart, after all.

Bottom line, this is a really horribly designed game, even if the main characters look very realistic (too bad they aren't memmorable--what a waste of Willem Dafoe). Don't buy it, or Sony might threaten us with more.
  64. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such aWe're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  65. Oct 13, 2013
    Hard to know that most negative reviews here made because of popular critics. Game is very good. Great story that raise interesting themes and gives tons of different emotions. I just had a great pleasure when i played this game. And now i only hope that David Cage won't stop make games only because of critics and negative.
  66. Oct 12, 2013
    I think the problem with reviewing something like Beyond is that some judge it as a movie, others as a game, but it really isn't either exactly. from a purely mechanical point of view, the game is very conservative and you might not get the same satisfaction as playing a game like call of duty. Yet, the game has shooting mechanics, and stealth sections, and some sections where you makeI think the problem with reviewing something like Beyond is that some judge it as a movie, others as a game, but it really isn't either exactly. from a purely mechanical point of view, the game is very conservative and you might not get the same satisfaction as playing a game like call of duty. Yet, the game has shooting mechanics, and stealth sections, and some sections where you make choices. This is for the most part a guided experience, however you will be able to craft certain situations in different ways to vary up second playthroughs. beyond has all the trappings of any modern day gaming experience, but it is how to takes the player from A to Z that is different, unique, and worth seeing for anyone interested. Expand
  67. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls gives the opportunity to live a different life and reflect on their own I can not find words to express the emotions of all who feel but I will try .
    David Cage You have created yet another exhibit of art. No idea what you went through in your life, but Beyond: Two Souls are exactly reproduced in all the emotions behind the screen I am deeply sorry for you and your family You have created something of genius that defies adequate criticism. Bravo !
    Themes of good and evil, heaven and hell life and death elevate Beyond: Two Souls to the top of the works created by man. Amazing music and amazing acting. Incredible story and depth of thought touched the conscious and subconscious and our humanity .
    Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls is not a game, it is an art and he belongs in the Louvre next to the Mona Lisa This is the best digital creations in the history of mankind. This is better than the movie and what ever played. It is something of an absolute genre. Absolute genre a genre that defies criticism of subjective thinking covering all known genres into a whole and is not one of them. Heavy Rain evokes emotions on the mental level. It's a drama that has to be experienced felt. evaluate every look, every gesture, intonation facial expressions lips, face, body and to empathize into the role The mystery of art and it is Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls continues the narrative genius It is the model of interactive art Surely only antique dealers pay attention to gestures and hints of Beyond: Two Souls. We are given the opportunity to try on roles a person with unique abilities but not a superman but a sort of a black sheep The animation is very thin because of what this side of the screen there is a discomfort of being in the company of ordinary people because Jodie had a normal childhood Empathize with her ​​the first few seconds when the doctor called her on the edge of the lips smiling experiment subtle hints and genius thus making it clear that he sympathizes with the girl and that kind of thing does not happen the first time. Jody reluctantly follows him to leave the artificial room, where she was born and grew up. Normal office furnished in the form of a child And this kind gestures game presents over and over again Every emotion Jody and the world around her is transferred to us on this side of the screen. And this genius. Like Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls to experience and feel with every fiber of his soul. The maximum score and one of the absolute standard of the genre. Bravo
  68. Oct 12, 2013
    This Interactive Experience is near perfection. I have always been a fan of the the art created by Quantic Dream. To be able to feel the emotion created by this story as if i were actually there. The story was amazing. The interactive interface i found confusing at times where moving the analog stick in the correct direction. This could have been just me and user error. I give this 9This Interactive Experience is near perfection. I have always been a fan of the the art created by Quantic Dream. To be able to feel the emotion created by this story as if i were actually there. The story was amazing. The interactive interface i found confusing at times where moving the analog stick in the correct direction. This could have been just me and user error. I give this 9 thumbs up. Creations of Quantic Dream should be a genre of their own. Any Negative reviews i found where chalked up the the users misconception and understanding the difference between a game and an interactive experience. Expand
  69. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two souls has a very great story, great characters and I was sad then the game ended, just because the game was ending. I would say, it is probably one of the best games in the last few years (and I have played a lot of games). It does also focus on the emotions of the characters. The graphics is also great for a PS3 game.
  70. Oct 13, 2013
    If you are passionate about gaming, and it's industry, Beyond is absolutely worth your time and money. It delivers so much quality content that it's easy to forgive its mishaps. If you open yourself up to what it has to offer then you will become a willing participant in a story that tugs at the strings of your humanity. This is not a moral consequence tale, it is a story of choices. YouIf you are passionate about gaming, and it's industry, Beyond is absolutely worth your time and money. It delivers so much quality content that it's easy to forgive its mishaps. If you open yourself up to what it has to offer then you will become a willing participant in a story that tugs at the strings of your humanity. This is not a moral consequence tale, it is a story of choices. You can learn from your actions and choose to change. At each turning point you are given the option to grow or slip away. The combat is cinematic and the action scenes are stunningly captured. However, all this quality does come at a price. Certain levels will force you down linear paths, and the limited options for approaching some situations (especially when in control of Aiden) are never explained, which can be imposing. Unlike Heavy Rain, there is little price to failure. This may result in you taking a different detour to your next key plot point but ultimately you will still end up there, though you may not be happy with the toll it might take on Jodie or the characters that surround her.

Enjoy the ride.
  71. Oct 20, 2013
    Stunning. Along with TLOU, one of the greatest games of this generation. This is a mature, character driven, emotional narrative. You really feel for Jodie and her inability to lead a normal life. Excellent performances by Page and Dafoe. Ellen Page should get an award for her part in this. Great motion capture and the most beautiful graphics on PS3. This really shows you what gaming isStunning. Along with TLOU, one of the greatest games of this generation. This is a mature, character driven, emotional narrative. You really feel for Jodie and her inability to lead a normal life. Excellent performances by Page and Dafoe. Ellen Page should get an award for her part in this. Great motion capture and the most beautiful graphics on PS3. This really shows you what gaming is capable of. Gripping Expand
  72. Oct 16, 2013
    Interactive narrative for me leads people into games differently however for me this was the pinnacle of what I want in a game a story I loved with incredible voice acting and drastically improved graphics from Heavy Rain. This is my game of the generation in my opinion the ultimate swan song for the PS3.
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! SeeingThis is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! Seeing and accepting this for what it is and meant to be, it is a very compelling and interesting experience. I particularly love the fact that there's a two player mode, where one player plays as Jodie on one joypad or smart device, and the other player plays as Aiden, the spirit that accompanies her, on another joypad or smart device. Controlling Aiden seems too simplified when played on a smart device, but it is unquestionably nice to have the option and will appeal to casual games immensely. Only one player is in control at any one time, but it's nice to have to not hot swap the controller, and i only wish games like Xcom-Enemy Unknown had a similar controller assigning feature..

The graphics are superb and among the best of this gen, and although they are top notch for the most part, are not so in a few instances, the time in the desert for example. The game is a lot longer than i was expecting, as i feared it would be a short game, but am pleasantly surprised by the length. Special not must go to all the acting in the game, all superb!

As i said, a very compelling interactive story/movie, and one that i would highly recommend playing with your significant other, my girlfriend absolutely loves the game, i believe she said it was her favorite that she's played to date!
  74. Oct 20, 2013
    This isn't a game so much as an experience. Not only is this one of the best presented games on this generation of consoles, it arguably has some of the most powerful storytelling available in modern gaming. Whether you buy, rent or borrow, this game is a must play.

Looking forward to playing Quantic dreams next entry.
  75. Dec 30, 2013
    It saddens me when I see the negativity that is associated with this game because Beyond: Two Souls was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster that took me through the life of Jodie Holmes, a protagonist that I grew to care about significantly. The journey this game took me through made me believe that my decisions mattered and were significant in understanding the importance ofIt saddens me when I see the negativity that is associated with this game because Beyond: Two Souls was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster that took me through the life of Jodie Holmes, a protagonist that I grew to care about significantly. The journey this game took me through made me believe that my decisions mattered and were significant in understanding the importance of right and wrong. I felt as if the characters I met playing along this journey as Jodie truly developed her character and created a depth to the overall experience. There were many moments that simultaneously made me feel the same emotions that Jodie was feeling in response to an event that may have occurred or a significant plot point which was surprising to say the least.

Beyond: Two Souls is special, it is a unique tale that deserves recognition for what it has accomplished. The entirety of the story should be experienced first hand in order to understand the captivating potential of the type of medium this game uses to engage the player. This game drained me emotionally which is a feat few games have done in the past and this is why it will be treasured. I can only urge others to not disregard Beyond: Two Souls as it so much more than a game, rather it is a masterful work of art.
  76. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm giving it a 10 because it does what it sets out to do perfectly.
    People are come expecting a game or a movie and its not either of them. It's an interactive story that uses a game as its medium because lets face it, as a book or movie it would be crap.
    Critics fail to see that just because its medium is a game, it doesn't have to be reviewed as such. The overall story despite being
    I'm giving it a 10 because it does what it sets out to do perfectly.
    The overall story despite being interesting is not very good, what is very good is the story of every separate mission. The 'game' could be told as 20 fantastic short stories.
    obviously voice acting and character appearance are great.
    The character of Jodie is very well thought out. i did care about Jodie. this lead to me making decisions i think Jodie would make, not what i'd like her to make.
    Aiden is a something I don't think I've seen done before and actually adds some good mechanics to a game thats not about mechanics. When you learn that thing about Aiden then think about all the things he's done for you despite that thing.
    If i was rating this as a game it'd score low but I'm not so taking what it is into account, its a ten
  77. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget about what all the tight-ass reviewers say (We're looking at you IGN!), this game is a perfect example of what interactive storytelling should be. Any old idiot should be able to understand the non-linear story-line and everyone should be able to enjoy the way that game lets interact with the flow of the narrative. However, there are some people who just can't seem to fabricate aForget about what all the tight-ass reviewers say (We're looking at you IGN!), this game is a perfect example of what interactive storytelling should be. Any old idiot should be able to understand the non-linear story-line and everyone should be able to enjoy the way that game lets interact with the flow of the narrative. However, there are some people who just can't seem to fabricate a reasonable opinion on this game. I know some have different ways of thinking than others but this game brought out so many emotions in me and made me feel like I was having a huge say and part in what was happening in the narrative. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and its 22 alternate endings (who says it isnt interactive enough!?) and would recommend it to anyone who is able to properly appreciate excellent writing and an overall excellent game Expand
  78. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best experience ever in PS3. This a game and it's a movie, a game-movie or movie-game, so do not be deceived or desapointed. Great story and awesome graphics! One of the most beautiful and thrilling game I ever played.
  79. Oct 18, 2013
    I certainly wouldn't want every game to be like Beyond and Heavy Rain (which seems to be DC's vision) but in a sea of CoD clones and other generic titles, this is once again a nice change of pace and at this point, you really have to support any major developer that tries to do something different. Looking forward to Quantic's first PS4 title.
  80. Oct 14, 2013
    Emotional, amazing. This is really a masterpiece. For me, this is one of the best games of the last decade! Thank you Quantic Dream! The ending of the game is simply amazing!!!
    From Russia with love!
  81. Oct 14, 2013
    Really stunning storyline and a great replay value experience. I don't know what reviews giving this game a low grade are looking for. If you liked Heavy Rain this game will overcome you expectations... If don't like HR you should give a try. The gameplay is not so confusing like the bad grades says, you just need to observe Jodie during the action. The action scenes are intense and theReally stunning storyline and a great replay value experience. I don't know what reviews giving this game a low grade are looking for. If you liked Heavy Rain this game will overcome you expectations... If don't like HR you should give a try. The gameplay is not so confusing like the bad grades says, you just need to observe Jodie during the action. The action scenes are intense and the horror parts are great. DON'T MISS. Expand
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    Let me start by saying this game is not for everyone. This is not your normal action-adventure, it is more like a interactive movie. The story in this game is very rich and you follow Jodie Holmes through bad and good times. Many of the characters have good voice actors and the game is a great journey. The Graphics in this game are very good. It is probably one of best looking console gameLet me start by saying this game is not for everyone. This is not your normal action-adventure, it is more like a interactive movie. The story in this game is very rich and you follow Jodie Holmes through bad and good times. Many of the characters have good voice actors and the game is a great journey. The Graphics in this game are very good. It is probably one of best looking console game of this generation. In the end I really recommend this game. Expand
  83. Oct 16, 2013
    Everything about this game is beautiful! I can't remember the last time I didn't want to put the controller down. Quanticdream does an outstanding job of keeping the player interested in the story and the visuals are absolutely stunning. If you like Heavy Rain you will LOVE Beyond Two Souls!
  84. Oct 16, 2013
    This game is one of the best and now it's my favorite. Seriously, everything is cool, but the best thing about the game is the emotion, the emotion! in a game you felt them for the last time? Yes, the game is not as brilliant as the heavy rain, but that does not mean that it is bad. This is the best game of the year, as well as compulsory acquisition for each owner of a PS3, and indeedThis game is one of the best and now it's my favorite. Seriously, everything is cool, but the best thing about the game is the emotion, the emotion! in a game you felt them for the last time? Yes, the game is not as brilliant as the heavy rain, but that does not mean that it is bad. This is the best game of the year, as well as compulsory acquisition for each owner of a PS3, and indeed every human inhabiting our planet Expand
  85. Oct 17, 2013
    No matter what everyone say, the game has made all my expectations true.
    Strong plot, amazing graphics, great actors!
    In my opinion, not everyone can understand this game as it.
    And it's a pity that there are so many negative reviews, I just don't get it...
  86. Oct 18, 2013
    Such a game with outstanding performance by ellen page and william defoe should be available on all platforms so that everyone tries this great game. The story and soundtracks are so good they cover for the gameplay, but this game and quantic dream just focus on the story. They want to give you a great story regardless of anything else. If you liked heavy rain get this. 9/10
  87. Oct 18, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls has great graphics and characters that you actually feel something for. I really enjoyed the feel of the game, like an interactive movie, and the way it plays with your feelings is pretty amazing. It's a really good game and it won't disappoint you.
  88. Oct 19, 2013
    Quantic Dreams, Beyond Two Souls is a monumental step forward for the gaming industry. If there ever was an argument against those who claim a video game could never be a work of art, or to be dismissed as frivolous and undeserving of respect ..This is it. Buy it.
  89. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version ofMy PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  90. Nov 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, aBeyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, a meaningless interlude there), manages to convince and hold the interest. This is partially due to the way in which the tension is ratcheted up during the final third. Oh yes, the climaxes in Beyond Two Souls are of the truly unforgettable style. It would, of course, be a gross disservice to not point out the excellent vocal performances of Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe; they really sell their characters with expertise. But the supporting cast, most notably the unsung souls that portray Cole and Ryan also do a fantastic job. The graphical output of the game is impressive but not in a "these are the best graphics I've ever seen on PS3!" sort of way. It looks great but there are certainly PS3 games that look better (The Last of Us, for example). The art design is terrific at times. There's obviously a deep seated love of Sci-Fi at the root of the title and you can catch little visual cues from the likes of Alien, The Abyss, The Thing and many more. Gameplay and control wise, Beyond Two Souls can be a bit hit-or-miss. Earlier sequences in the game (particularly the montage and stealth training sequence) can border on the awful. Likewise, the general way that Jodie controls like a tank in a confined space doesn't help immersion much. However, later QTE fights prove to be excellent and exciting and the one section where you properly implement your stealth training is surprisingly fun. Overall, I came away from Beyond Two Souls with my mouth agape, my eyes brimming with tears and my body eager for another playthrough. Well done Quantic Dream! Excellent stuff indeed. Expand
  91. Dec 21, 2013
    As soon as I completed this game I felt compelled to write a review so here I am. Put short beyond two souls is feaking amazing, the character development, the story, graphics, audio everything is top notch and so well done the game is nothing short of a masterpiece and quite easily my favourite game of this generation by quite a distance. Its hard to describe just how good this game is.As soon as I completed this game I felt compelled to write a review so here I am. Put short beyond two souls is feaking amazing, the character development, the story, graphics, audio everything is top notch and so well done the game is nothing short of a masterpiece and quite easily my favourite game of this generation by quite a distance. Its hard to describe just how good this game is. Word of warning though this game is all about the story, so if stories arent your thing and your prefer open world games etc then look elsewhere Expand
  92. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it toI tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  93. Oct 11, 2013
    I knew this one is definitly not a game for everyone.

I knew this one is definitly not a game for everyone.

The graphics are just beautiful, the acting is pretty good and the story is exciting. I watched myself playing this game for 6 hours non-stop because the rememberable moments just didn't stop coming. It's a extremely immersive adventure well... if you're into those kinda emotional stories. There's little action and the controls are original and not more than unusual but very, very far from "unplayable" like some people are suggesting.

Like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead Beyond: Two Souls has little gameplay, but great, emotional storytelling. And in the end of the day... not everyone just loves to enjoy a good story with an original way of playing rather than having powerful, actionpacked gameplay with familiar controls.
  94. Jan 1, 2014
    You can not go into this game expecting any other sort of game. This is not a game about combat, and sandbox features. This is a purely story driven game.
    Don't judge Mario for the story, Don't judge Call of Duty for historical accuracy, Don't judge this game because it's unlike others.
  95. Oct 14, 2013
    I almost didn't buy this game because of the mixed reviews- but did it based on Heavy Rain, which also was received in a similar fashion. I'm glad I did. This is not a perfect game by any means and probably many COD fans (for instance) will hate it. But it's extremely unique, and the production values are stellar. The story was surprising for me, and once I got used to the fragmented wayI almost didn't buy this game because of the mixed reviews- but did it based on Heavy Rain, which also was received in a similar fashion. I'm glad I did. This is not a perfect game by any means and probably many COD fans (for instance) will hate it. But it's extremely unique, and the production values are stellar. The story was surprising for me, and once I got used to the fragmented way it was told, I thought it was strong.

The characters are very likeable- which is a huge plus to me- and as everyone has said, performances are top notch.

Some will not like this because it isn't a conventional video game- but then I have never had any interest in GTA or COD, so I suppose one video game type doesn't suit us all. We're pretty lucky to live in a world where Beyond can get made. I hope they're rewarded for taking a chance.
  96. Oct 11, 2013
    Brings Gaming to a whole new level as a story telling medium. The acting/ mocap and realism of the characters and level of detail that went through to making this game is astounding. Not to mention the graphics are the best on consoles to date.
  97. Oct 11, 2013
    Captivating. This game is everything The Walking Dead by Felltale Games tried to be. Beautiful in every aspect acting, story, graphically, and lives to tell a story. The flaws presented in this game are flaws that The Walking Dead shared, but people ignored. I am willing to ignore the flaws due to the minor fact that my choices had some impact, unlike they did in The Walking Dead.
  98. Oct 12, 2013
    Game of the Year for me. Ellen Page and William Dafoe were transcendent. Quantic Dream have done the impossible. The game made me sad (many of times), laugh, and nervous. I have never felt that kind of emotion from a video game. Thank you for the amazing experience and thank you Playstation for keeping TRUE storytelling in gaming alive. These types of games make the Playstation ecosystemGame of the Year for me. Ellen Page and William Dafoe were transcendent. Quantic Dream have done the impossible. The game made me sad (many of times), laugh, and nervous. I have never felt that kind of emotion from a video game. Thank you for the amazing experience and thank you Playstation for keeping TRUE storytelling in gaming alive. These types of games make the Playstation ecosystem the special place that it is to play games. The graphics and the gameplay were fantastic and people that are complaining about the gameplay need to go back to their shooters. This type of experience is for a mature audience that can handle narrative without a gun. I really am lost for words. All i can say is Thank You and please SONY, lets think about adding QD as a first party. Expand
  99. Oct 14, 2013
    People need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear storyPeople need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear story telling, its a great change of pace; heck this whole game was a breath of fresh air. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and I am starting to get tired of go here kill this in video games. Engaging story, improved gameplay mechanics from heavy rain, the facial animations are one of the best and graphics. The only reason this game isnt a 10, (I believe it could've very easily if it was more of a traditional game) has me drop the game by two scores. I loved the whole Aiden gameplay, and between this, heavy rain and telltale's twd; beyond two soul's is definately the best of interactive story telling game thus far I have ever played. Expand
  100. Oct 11, 2013
    After each hour spent on this game, I get different emotions, sometimes it's sadness, joy, loneliness, despair.
    Project is unique, but not for everyone.
    The actors are great, good story, good music, graphics and design are lovely. ambitious project.
  101. Oct 8, 2013

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.