• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome graphics, beautiful gameplay, maybe a interactive novel, excellent characters great history you can felt joy, suffer and felt scary with the protagonist,
    good work for Quantic dream
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buying a game... You are getting an experience. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Absolutely stunning and unique game. You will experience new variety of emotions with respect to Heavy Rain and with respect to all other games. Masterpiece and one of the mine favorite games now!
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Best cinematic game ever. Perfect graphics ,interesting story. The combat is really challenging. And the soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in video games .
    This is the best Quantic Dream game untill now
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond is an adventure that really touched me. Playing as Jodie and Aiden is real genious. Quantic Dream knows how to make interactive dramas. The most ambitous game of the year!
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    And again, quantic dream created a new masterpiece in gaming, they never let us down in terms of interactive drama genre, all of the details of the game are so great from protagonist and the story, i am starting to like ellen page of her stunning beauty.
    The only thing makes bad in this games is the controls, it is not very suitable in ds3, but thanks to their app BEyond Touch for
    smartfones, the control interface of the game makes easier than using ds3 Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    Amazing experience, but I can't use the word game. This is an immersive storytelling masterpiece, interactive but not open. With a variety of endings and multitudes of choice throughout that serve to colour your experience rather than shape it, David Cage has taken what he learned in Heavy Rain and added polish. Page and Defoe provide excellent voice acting as you are taken on the life-long journey of Jodie and her imaginary friend Aiden. You spend the many hours uncovering the mystery of Jodie and her connection to this mysterious being that has shadowed her throughout her life.

Controls can be a bit jarring in one or two places, but QuanticDream made the interesting choice of not spoon-feeding them to you, leaving the player to figure out things on their own. This can be frustrating but is ultimately rewarding as you really feel accomplishment at what you achieve.

Amusingly many seem to have already missed the point of Beyond: Two Souls. This is not a game. If you want a sandbox, play Fallout or Skyrim, each excellent games in their own right. But here you are taking part in an immersive, interactive and stunning story. Be forewarned. Quite simply one of the best media experiences I've ever had.
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    David Cage captures emotions and graphically it's fine, However the story/plot is horrible and he must of realised at last second he needed to chuck a game somewhere in it. For a game so focused on story it just did nothing for me. 1/3 ain't bad?
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    I am not even going to call this a game because it is flat out not a game. I was able to beat this movie incredibly early on and I am incredibly disappointing with the complete lack of any semblance of actual new game-play. So why pay 60 dollars for a movie with horrendous game-play when you can simply watch the entire thing on youtube for free?
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    Just, amazing I can't believe that this game run on a PS3 it's so beautiful.
    the story is just amazing too, and playing with the entity (Aiden) is really enjoyable.
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    It is very strange game that doesn`t look like anything else. You can love it or you can even hate it, depends on your tastes. But it`s absolutely clear that this game is another phenomena in gaming industry. Quantic Dream delivered something unexpected even for their fans.
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is the reason why I sold xbox but still kept ps3. And it haven't failed me. Whoever loved Heavy rain can expect even better storytelling, incredible graphics, extraordinary atmosphere and really unique experience.
    I think that whoever have ps3 has to try at least demo, but beware, final game is much more interesting than demo.
    One of the five best games in this generation for
    me with without the doubt best atmosphere. Expand
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome game so far, awesome story and magnificent characters.
    After playing like 3 hours, i enjoyed everything in this game, from level design, to voice acting, emotions feel like real.
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    A great game with a share of drama and a touch of mysticism. The gameplay is very interesting from the point of view of interaction between two characters,the game itself has a number of ways of development of the plot,natural variability, not so many as in heavy Rain,but it does not make the game worse.In conclusion to all I want to say that the game was a success and I don't understand who she might not like it one of the best games of the year 10/10 Expand
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is absolutely gorgeous and truly one magnificent piece of art. David Cage has delivered yet another step forward in the world of video games and for that he is applauded. This game is refreshing, bold and different. I recommend everyone to at least try the game once because although it might not be for everyone I can promise you that as soon as you begin the game you will appreciate all the hard work put into this game. No spoilers or pros and cons in this review, this is just me letting you know that you should seriously consider giving this game a try. Expand
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    In a word: Awesome
    Graphics, animation, story, gameplay, musics... Everything is awesome.
    I found my game of the year without doubt.
    I plat with my wife, it's really good, she play jodie and I play aiden.
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is the best. David Cage is a genius. You should buy this game with your money because it is game of the year and David Cage is a genius. David Cage you genius.
  18. Oct 8, 2013
    Best graphics, great game, history,. Simply the best. GOTY best graphics. Quantic Dream, congratulations for this work of art. For jealous people that are giving low note, my condolences.
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome game Great story, graphics and gameplay. Quantic Dream has crafted a really immersive and emotional experience, unlike any other I've played before. It's a must play.
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a failure on many different levels. As a movie, which David Cage clearly wanted to advertise this game as, it's plot is all over the place, it's character development almost nonexistant, and it's ending absolutely ludicrous. Several glitches during my playtime caused quite a few bugs that would have broken my immersion several times, if the wooden acting from Page and Defoe hadn't already done it for me.

As a video game, I don't think I even need to explain here. Quick Time Events do not make for compelling gameplay. The Last of Us, another recent story-based game, still had a great deal of gameplay that engaged the user way more than "press X to not die" ever will. The environments are bland, and the only good character models are the ones for the main characters on screen. "Dreamcast people" come to mind frequently.

And although I'm not one to talk, if you take a look at the 10/10 reviews that have popped up for this game, you'll notice that very few of them have reviewed a single other game on here. Food for thought.
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    Really awful.

I'll try to review it objectively considering its meant to be 'an experiment', with no gameplay/interesting mechanics to speak of.

But the story was drab, graphically you would have expected more at this late stage of hardware optimisation.

Very underwhelming.
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a terrible, TERRIBLE game. Controls are even worse than in Heavy Rain. You have *no idea* what you're supposed to do half the time. You have to jump over obstacles the camera doesn't show; punch characters in a doorway you assume you're supposed to scramble past; push the right-stick towards the enemy to push when it looks like Jodie is about to duck...and then there's "Aiden".

First, what's with all these game characters named Aiden lately? There are fewer than 1,584 people in the U.S. with the first name Aiden. 0.0005% of the US population. I swear I didn't even know there was such a name until Heavy Rain, Just like I didn't know children to Chicago natives had accents.

Aiden is a supernatural entity you play as from the first-person to get Jodie out of jams. She'll frequently cry, "Help me, Aiden!" and you'll be facing some awkward direction and the screen will be blurry. Now you have to float Aiden around the area with all the grace of a flying refrigerator.
    It's almost impossible to figure out what you can interact with because you have to be an inch from it to tell most of the time. To do anything, you hold R1, and move both control sticks. But you never know which direction! Sometimes you have to pull them apart, charge, and release to "zap" objects, pinch together to choke, continuously pull apart to possess enemies, rotate them...you never know what you're supposed to do.

Finally, the oldest problem in modern games, terrible writing. This is a European fan-film remake of E.T. with all the cliche's of a Hollywood chase scene, complete with no less than 5 state troopers chasing you on top of a passenger train. Why did 5 out-of-shape rent-a-cops climb on top of a train at once? And why do all of "Bakerstown"'s finest sound like Batman street thugs? Why is the SWAT team-member flailing his arms around near the explosion when he's not even on fire??? I was frequently expecting some guy to drag a fruit cart in my path so I could crash through it. Heavy Rain had a chicken coup in Walmart, after all.

Bottom line, this is a really horribly designed game, even if the main characters look very realistic (too bad they aren't memmorable--what a waste of Willem Dafoe). Don't buy it, or Sony might threaten us with more.
  23. Oct 8, 2013
    One of the greatest experiences ever, just completed it only a few hours ago and already I want to replay it to see the (22) alternate endings!

Amazing game, you'd be stupid not to buy it assuming you love a good story.
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Wonderful graphics.
    Beautiful story.
    **** choices.
    Awesome gameplay.
    Awesome OST.
    Beyond Two Souls is the best game of all times, and obviously the Game of the Year.
  25. Oct 8, 2013
    This is how you make an interactive game. David Cage hit the old nail on the head with this one.
    The only thing that is upsetting is the controls when you have combat scenes, all others was top notch.
    Aiden the supernatural best friend of Jodie is interesting and its always interesting to see how their relationship becomes stronger. A great story, and a very impressive game.
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    Say what you want about "what is a game", but video games as an industry is YOUNG compared to other media. You would be a fool to miss out on this spectacular ride of a game that is changing how we interact with characters and story. Don't be a sheep.
  27. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an incredibly emotional and stunning experience. Throughout the game you'll often find yourself tearing up, whether it is of joy or sadness. Quantic Dream managed to create a game that binds you to its characters like few games are able to. Ellen Page's and Willem Dafoe's performance is incredible and really adds to the atmosphere. The story is really thrilling and switches from brutal action to everyday life. A unique, story-driven experience for every open-minded gamer out there. Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2013
    It's pretty sad that the game has no critic reviews.
    Anyway, here's the deal. The game is okay, but the developers showed way too much footage and spoiled way too many scenes in all the trailers they released. We ended up with a story that we know 80% of what happens in it. For a game that strives on story, it sucks that there wasn't much story to be told. By now i've used the word
    "story" quite a lot, but that's just what Beyond is: A story. An interactive one.
    It is way too linear. None of your choices influence any outcomes, unlike Heavy Rain, where every decision you made created a difference.
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond the imagination, this game it`s so very very perfect, graphics, beutifull gameplay gta,cod, users not like this, because not shoot, not run, not online multiplayer) and the story it`s perfect, this game gona be, the game of the generation, not the overated GTA V.
  30. Oct 8, 2013
    Incredible game with really interesting, non-linear, storytelling system, charismatic characters, stunning visuals and great music. One of my favorite games this year. David Cage is a really master of his job.
  31. Oct 8, 2013
    I've never played a game that has emotionally moved me in multiple directions like this one has. Nor have a played a game that gives me the feeling that I have so much power at my fingertips than this one. So many choices I make are a reflection of who I am. This game is, in a word, engrossing. I can't put it down. My wife doesn't want me to play unless she can watch because she too is engrossed in it. The acting is fantastic; the graphics are jaw-dropping, especially facial representations. The performances by all characters are super. Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are, of course, great. I really liked the homeless guy too. Playing as Aiden is intense and darkly satisfying at times. I think the camera movement for Aiden's first-person view is perfect. It gives the feel of floating or swaying back and forth like an entity, which he is. No rigid first-person mechanics here. David Cage and Quantic Dream have knocked another one out of the park with Beyond: Two Souls on all levels: gameplay, story, graphics. For me, highly anticipated and well-worth the wait. Expand
  32. Oct 8, 2013
    Perfect Graphics, Perfect History, perfect plot, this game is a GOTY. The actors make a good interpretations, the options that Jodie can make in the game are awesome.

Trolls of metacritic, stop make stupid opinions.
  33. Oct 8, 2013
    Th game looks absolutely stunning (hats off to the modeling/animation/design team), but story- and gameplay-wise is just a hodgepodge of various ideas. It's almost as crazy as Indigo Prophecy.

One moment you are little girl with super powers, then you're in Somalia sprinting from one chest-high wall to another in order to assassinate a warlord, then you live with some native american
    family in the desert trying to fight off some evil-Vendigo-type-of spirit, then you're in Siberia infiltrating Korean underwater secret base in a submarine in order to blow up a ghost portal to another world..
    All main story twists are highly predictable, since its just a mix of several overused clichés.
    Gameplaywise, this game has an identity crisis. It tries to be so many things at once, but fails at most of them. Game's controls can be very unresponsive at times, especially when you ride a horse. Sometimes it doesn't matter what button or direction you push, the game just does its thing for you. Also there is no game-overs. It like playing Dragon's Lair game, failing all QTEs and you still progress in the story and still get to see the ending(s).
    With this game David Cage once and for all proved, that he is indeed M. Night Shyamalan of video games.
  34. Oct 9, 2013
    This is not a game, as absolutely none of your actions actually influence anything. You can fail anything and the game just progresses as normal. As far as a movie goes it's very poor.

Disgusting.
  35. Oct 9, 2013
    This game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praise for Heavy Rain has effectively sent the message that game writers don't have to try and create a tight, cohesive story. All they need to do is clumsily copy a bunch of classic movies with less than half the care and attention to detail in order to trick people into thinking their game is mature. Expand
  36. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is really awesome, a movie-game when chance the concepts of the industry, really serious and deep, is one game when or you love, or you hate, like heavy rain, but in my case, i really really love this one.
  37. Oct 8, 2013
    Terribly short. You can tell since it released today and yet so many people are already giving it 10/10s. Not worth $60, especially considering how heavily it relies on narrative and graphics to make up for the complete lack of gameplay. If you strip away all the surface elements, it's easy to tell that the last thing on Quantic Dream's mind was to make a game and they would rather be making movies (although there's probably a good reason why they're stuck making 'games' and not movies).

Beyond: Two Souls is a poor attempt at mimicking the success of Telltale Game's 'The Walking Dead,' which not only released at half the price of Quantic Dream's story, but it also allowed players to buy the story in smaller chunks at even cheaper prices in case they weren't sure they were going to like it. $60 for something that plays exactly the same is almost criminal.
  38. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm not happy with this game, it promised so much, the demo was awesome and then, when i play, all i see is a movie wannabe game, the gameplay is so poor that in the end i was only playing for the story.
    I kinda regret buying it, if it was cheaper maybe it would worth it, but with 59,99 dollars, you can do better.
  39. Oct 8, 2013
    If you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game. It's not for everyone, but Quantic Dream is to be commended for aspiring to be something greater and far different than anything or anyone else in the industry.
    The graphics are absolutely next-gen quality,the characters are well developed, and the story and themes will make your heart break at times. Are there things I don't necessarily
    like? Sure, but Beyond:Two Souls greatly succeeds in spite of them. You become so wrapped up in Jodie's story that you not only deal with the flaws, but forget them completely.
    If the Last of Us showed you that emotions can be brought to life in a very real way, then Quantic Dreams' Beyond:Two Souls proves that it can permeate and completely saturate the entire length of a campaign.
  40. Oct 8, 2013
    I went in believing this might be the next big blockbuster akin to something like aliens but it's rather disjointed and pretentious

wait till it comes to Netflix
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    Nota 0 sem jogar? então tenho direito de dar nota 10 só pela coragem de se fazer jogos com propostas diferentes, vamos abrir a mente e sair do mesmo do mesmo. A DEMO já mostrou parte disso, espero ao final gostar ou não gostar, mas experimentar, quem disse que gostei do final de The Last of US? mas daria um 0 por que não era o que esperava?
  42. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  43. Oct 8, 2013
    Amazing game.How do I put this? Let me see. I played BEYOND and LOVED. l loved it.

Why?

Because all this shooting, ridding, open world, headshot, deathmatch, all this stuff, IS VERY COOL, but it gets kinda boring after a while. WE NEED crazy diferent games like Heavy Rain and Beyond to unwind after GTA5, befor we can dive into WatchDogs. Then we need something crazy like South Park,
    befor we can go on to Killzone or Dead Rising 3.
    That is why I LOVE QUANTIC DREAM and David Cage.
    The graphics are amazing, the gameplay it THANK GOD diferent from the GTAs and CODs of this world, the history is unique and interesting, the game is fun,it drags you in and don´t let go, this is all I want from a game right now.
    Beyond is amazing, loved the demo, it really shows what kind of state our "game critics" are, they are getting more and more like music critics, giving 4 and 5s to the Bon Jovis and Def Leppards of the world and 9s and 10s to the REMs and U2s.
    I don´t care, I had enough with headshots and team deathmatches for this year, it is time to play something diferent: WELCOME BEYOND!
  44. Oct 8, 2013
    Simply put: not a game for the masses. I would hope everyone out there would be touched by it's message but as a "senior" player I know better. The story holds very deep thoughs about what lies beyond our world and how our world supposedly interacts with the other the one we don't know, but many do think it exists. Gameplay although intuitive can be a bit frustrating at first but one can adopt to commands very swiftly. Graphics is top level and a thing to expect from this gen's most powerful game console. No compromises here. This equals for an excellent orchestra music. Without a doubt one of the most important(!) games till date. Expand
  45. Oct 9, 2013
    Whatever happened to video games being like video games? I tried the demo and it was the most unfun POS ever with some of the worst controls I have ever experienced. Beyond: Two Souls does not deserve more than Beyond: Two Sales.

I will stick with real video games and not this casual junk that wants to be a movie. Keep your movies out of my video games.
  46. Oct 8, 2013
    I'm generously giving this "game" a 1. The graphics are pretty good, not the best I've ever seen, not the worst. The music and sound are pretty top notch, all things considered. The story I can see as a love it or hate it type thing. I thought it was interesting, but not overly so. The gameplay is non-existent.

Listen, when I don't even have to tap a button, I don't have to input
    any command at all, and the story just plays itself out as if I wasn't even there. Then it's not a game friends. It's a movie. Now if Beyond: Two Souls want's to be a movie that's fine, I'll buy the 20 dollar blu-ray. Instead of the 60 dollar whatever this is supposed to be.

Just to illustrate how disappointed I am, I've got about 90 games in my collection, this will be the first game I trade-in, which is saying something, considering I have two copies of White Knight Chronicles 2 for absolutely no reason.
  47. Oct 9, 2013
    1. This is NOT a game. This is an interactive movie.
    2. TERRIBLE Controls. Far from intuitive.
    3. Nice graphics. Characters are lifelike.
    4. Strange story. Starts off confusing and is not that engaging.

I would not recommend a purchase. This is a rental at best. I was deeply disappointed.
  48. Oct 8, 2013
    it is a truly unique experience that every gamer deserves to experience (even the critics too shallow and narrow minded to accept or comprehend it). dont listen to the haters of this game. there are many people who have this pretentious bias against ambitious cinematic, story centric games like this and also have a strong disdain for david cage. these conspiratorial individuals think he is trying to erase all genres of gaming and will turn every game in existence into an interactive movie.

if you are not one of these people, and you are not going into this game with the sole intention of hating it, you will not only like this game, but love it. their claims that it is "a movie with no gameplay" are beyond ridiculous. there is more gameplay here than there was in heavy rain or the walking dead. Its graphics and presentation are the best the PS3 has to offer, bar none. even naughty dog's masterpeice "the last of us" isnt quite as polished in animations and visuals. the story is well paced, the characters well written, and the acting top notch. the game accomplishes what it sets out to do. no you wont be chopping off heads or shooting aliens. this is a rare genre and this game is the best it has to offer. try it for yourself.
  49. Oct 8, 2013
    What a shame Willem Dafoe's great performance is wasted on this trash. Gameplay is nearly non existant and even if it were marketed as an interactive movie it's still bad. David Cage proves once again he's nothing but a talentless hack.
  50. Oct 8, 2013
    Whilst a very visually attractive game, David Cage's Beyond: Two Souls proves to be quite soulless, with a confusing, cliched story and unappealing characters. Give this one a miss.
  51. Oct 8, 2013
    Good evening editors of magazines and websites i want reminds you this game on current generation and if there any game else should take low rate its GTA5! rated 9.7 just because its foolish and full of dirty language glitches and stupid story! but its good enough for American!
    Everyone rate this game under 9 shouldn't play games or name him self editor?
  52. Oct 8, 2013
    The game plays itself; you don't have control of outcomes, and you can never fail. The story is shoddy and a lot of times laughable. I had to stop playing half way because it wasn't fun anymore, so I returned it. For a $60 game I would expect to actually have a GAME, yet this felt like it would have worked just as well as a movie while saving $48. I do not recommend, this coming from someone that somewhat enjoyed Heavy Rain. If you're curious of the story, just watch Youtube videos. You're bound to get the same experience. Expand
  53. Oct 9, 2013
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads. The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial. QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama. Interactive drama should not become trivial linear film, but interactive movie sandbox. the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator. Instead of hiring actors of hollywood, would be better to take classes in game design Expand
  54. Oct 8, 2013
    In my opinion, the most overrated game I've ever seen. Another fuzzy movie from Quantic Dreams: only one scene of real action games, controls I can not even tell who is oriented on this game
  55. Oct 8, 2013
    NEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired of them. But Beyond: Two Souls is just what we need now. A game which has different storylines based on the player's decisions? Awesome! Having to be a human (Jodie) and an entity Aiden)? Double Awesome! And to be able to connect with the characters and truly understand them? Triple Awesome. I'm more of a critic but this is the only game I've seen that's better than GTA V, Assassin's Creed 3 and Call Of Duty 6. It's PERFECT! Expand
  56. Oct 8, 2013
    What a beautiful game! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this type of game, it's a lot like a choose your own adventure book. They give you choices and opportunities and the results fold out into your story. Excellent storytelling Quantic Dream!
  57. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is just the most fantastic game i ever played, it worth every minute!! The story is amazing and there is so much emotion i just love every minute i spend to play it! Expand
  58. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond two souls is a beautiful game and sadly that's the only good thing you can say about this "game".
    When i sat down with beyond two souls in my hand i did not expect ending up so disappointed as i did this is nothing but a movie since the choices you make does not matter at all and gameplay wise it's dreadful!
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i
    expected more then 9 hours of cutscene for a story that is dull and has been done in many movies before! Expand
  59. Oct 9, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls repeats what Heavy Rain did a few years ago. It shows a brilliant plot, stunning graphics and strong characters with an unusual fate. Such a game could appear only from Quantic Dream studio because those guys know better than others how to make you sit on the edge of your chair till the final credits.
  60. Oct 8, 2013
    Excellent Game! Great graphics, great story, great acting by Ellen Page and William Dafoe! Very excellent and intuitive controls. Overall another amazing game made by Quantic Dream! BETTER THAN HEAVY RAIN!!! 10 out of 10. It did NOT deserve a 6 out of 10 from IGN. It deserves a 10 out of 10! Props to Gamespot for giving it a 9 out of 10.
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    First of all, this game is not for everyone... I don't know about you guys, but if i would have wanted an action game, i would not have bought Beyond Two Souls.Don't buy this game thinking you'll play a great action game....THIS IS NOT.
    From Quantic Dream, the guys who brought us Heavy Rain... what did you expected?

Its true that this game is more like an interactive movie, and this is
    why i love it. I want more of these games. So different from all the game i normally play.

I had some issue with the control at the beginning, but nothing serious. I did not encounter any ''Game breaking" or "immersion breaking" glitch. My gameplay was smooth and really enjoyable.

Graphics are amazing, music is intense, moving.. and the story was way better than any movie you'll go watch in theater.
  62. Oct 9, 2013
    Ok so it's not a game like we are used to play...So??

But oh my god, this game is one of the best ever created! Every scene you play is great.We all like great movies right?So why not be part of one?

Do yourself a favour and get this game as soon as possible.

Thank you again David Cage.Thank you for this masterpiece!
  63. Oct 8, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, but couldn't. I wanted to play a game not a movie. I didn't like the controls, the gameplay, this game bored me so much I couldn't even follow the story I was falling asleep, and I didn't like how one minute you're a kid and then the next you're a teenager with no explanation for it. I also thought I was going to like the entity, but I didn't like it either. I just expected a whole lot more out of this game. I was told the person who made this made Heavy Rain and I heard that game was good, but since I didn't like this one I most likely won't like that one. This is just my opinion on this there are a lot of mixed reviews about it. If you want to know how it is you have to give it a try yourself. This is definitely no 10/10. Expand
  64. Oct 9, 2013
    Awesome game, the people who rated this game poorly are narrow minded. Not all games have to be shooting and killing all the time. Beyond has great graphics & an awesome story. The controls are good & work well for the game play style. Well worth playing, very good game.
  65. Oct 9, 2013
    If you're slightly interested in this game, go for it. It's a masterpiece, and like a groundbreaking work, it has to fight through conventional wisdom to get to the right audience. "Beyond" will be around for years. Don't wait. (Played through it in two long sessions, but would go back again for different choices and bonus items.)
  66. Oct 8, 2013
    Abysmal experience. Uneven graphics quality ranging from photo-realistic to very primitive are distracting and this is the best part of the game. Controls are even worse than in previous games, QTE during action scenes is now promtless and often not obvious, during casual interaction it's hard to aim at the required object and ghost mechanics are just unresponsive. And still this is not the worst part. Story and writing are the worst. Game comprised of mixed memories from different parts of Jodie's life. The fact that they are mixed brings nothing to the game experience. Last third of the game is going chronologically anyway. There are numerous plotholes in the script, Jodie's powers don't add up in different episodes and made of different genre cliches, her motivations are totally unclear throughout the game no matter what decisions you make all of them seem out of place and only there to serve the nonsensical plot. Avoid this game! Expand
  67. Oct 8, 2013
    For all of David Cage's attempts to make games into movies, why can he not write, and why are the controls so goddamn obnoxious and horrible?

This game has lovely visuals and pretty good acting performances, but GODDAMN the controls are absolutely horrendous in ways they shouldn't be. Just moving your character feels like the most disgusting thing ever due to how poor the controls are.
  68. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is what makes Sony great. Nobody thought throwing paint on walls could be an enjoyable game or riding on the wind as a flower, but Sony made it happen. My hat is off to Mr. Cage for making such an emotional experience that had me right at the start! Really love the fighting game mechanics as well since they are all focused on motion. Can't wait to finish the game!
  69. Oct 9, 2013
    First of all: Heavy Rain was way better in terms of story, storytelling and most important, Immersion.
    In beyond you never have the feeling that your actions have any consequences to the story.
  70. Oct 13, 2013
    Clunky character movement, forced decisions, awkward character interaction, and an ending so bad I literally sat my controller down and laughed. This isn't the masterpiece that Heavy Rain was. Not even close. This game started out great and showed a lot of promise, but the story really plummets after the Navajo section. So many moments in the story feel like they were just thrown on to add time to your playthrough, and the constant traveling back and forth through the main character's chlidhood and adulthood makes it really hard to make sincere choices when given the option. Not only that, but you see just how little control you actually have. This is by far one of the worst games i've ever played. It reminds me of when I played Indigo Prophecy and had to watch the great story turn into an awkward Dragon Ball Z LARP session. Expand
  71. Oct 12, 2013
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, this game was plenty worth my time and money. My experience with it was a 10/10, your experience may vary, of course. At least give it a try if possible check out the demo or something--you may not know what you are missing. Expand
  72. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Beyond: Two Souls is a very uneven package, with some moments of real tearjerkers or edge-of-my-seat drama and other portions that seem like they were made for a different game entirely and in a very bad way. The plot itself is not horrible as a whole but the constant swinging back and forth between past and present make it more of a hassle to just figure out what is happening then it should be. Several times it was actually counterproductive, with some major story moments spoiled before swinging back to what lead up to it.

(WARNING: Some spoilers will be given from her on)

On the gameplay side there are two very distinct sections, the sections involving exploration (which dominate the first half of the game) and the sections involving infiltration/stealth (which dominate the second half). The exploration is interesting, especially with the introduction of apparition called Aiden. Similar to games like Heavy Rain, interacting with the world as Jodie can be both interesting from the conversations it sparks or tedious if its just busy work. The most interesting parts involve Aiden, the proxy that follows the main character around can do many typical "ghost" action from moving objects at will to scare other or to just assist Jodie to more aggressive actions like strangling or possessions (the latter used mostly for the other sections). While the mechanics can be unwieldy to use at times, these areas are usually open and detailed enough to make you feel it's worth investigating. The other sections involve Jodie and Aiden trying to sneak by or take out people. These sections feel more in tune with a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell title as they require using cover to remain out of sight and using Aiden to distract or take out select enemies. Aiden can even possess some people and use them to open a locked door, kill a comrade or even kill themselves (there are some pretty disturbing scenes). The bulk of gameplay shifts between these two sections and the change in tone is palpable, though you never feel in any real danger during "stealth." Even failure seems to be easily remedied with QTE fight scenes and failing that Aiden will simply choke out the attacker before the killing blow (begging the question why Aiden didn't intervene sooner).

But just like Heavy Rain, the Action is only a side dish to the Story and here is where we dig into Beyond: Two Souls. The story focuses on Jodie, a girl who has a mysterious "imaginary friend" named Aiden that has been tied to her for as long as she can remember, through the trials of her life. Following her traumatic childhood is gripping and her relationship with Nathan Dawkins is one of the most compelling aspects of the game. The story itself follows a non-linear format, which is a euphemistic way of saying it lurches back and forth through time with every new plot point. This is intriguing in the beginning as the player is dumped into strange situations with no context and must try to piece together the pieces of what is happening and just who Jodie and Aiden are. However, this quickly gets confusing and a lack of set-up or proper buildup to a situation make it seem completely out-of-nowhere. An example of this: one sequence has Jodie joining the CIA and training with them before cutting to her sleeping on a train before being hunted by local sheriffs with no reason given. In hindsight and with the entire plot revealed it does make more sense but in the moment it all seems more over-the-top and nonsensical than intriguing, which It felt it was trying to do. Poor execution hounds the story's latter half and drags the plot down, with dramatic scenes seeming heavy-handed and forced because of the lack of flow between scenes.

Things come to a head by the end and I won't go into details suffice to say it it stuffed full of cliches and heavy-handed scenes that come one after another so that it all just make it all seem less serious than it want to be. Personal choices have less of an effect on the ending but do color the ending somewhat which is not a bad thing, its just that the execution falls flat in far too many places for it to seem like it was the only option that could be given. The strong feelings felt during Jodie's childhood are found only sporadically by the end (anything to do with Dawkins and Jodie remain moments of brilliant drama) replaced by filler sections tie up loose ends.

There is a good game and a compelling story underneath this game, its just that the way that it's shown is confusing and by the end has devolved into using cliches.
  73. Oct 11, 2013
    disjointed mess without any game play at all. It doesn't even qualify to be called an adventure game. That is actually coming from someone who liked Indigo Prophecy and thought Heavy Rain was ok.
  74. Oct 8, 2013
    These are two words which can describe this game
    Beautiful
    Strange

I do not listen to those who say that this game is very bad or great to judge that you must to experience this game

And for me score of this game is 10/10
  75. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. L'ho appena finito e lo trovo un titolo unico e originale! graficamente strabiliante.. anche se in certi punti negli scenari si vede la differenza con i personaggi ancora meglio definiti. Il sonoro di Zimer.. e questo nome dice tutto! la storia l'ho trovata stupenda. di rado di mi capita di emozionarmi e commuovere, e questo gioco c'è riuscito in molti punti. Il gameplay più sciolto e i quake time sono meglio caratterizzati rispetto a Heavy Rain, e questo gioco a mio parere un gradino sopra al precedente titolo Quantic Dream! con questo concludo con un 10 pieno.. per uno dei giochi più originale e toccanti degli ultimi anni! Expand
  76. Oct 8, 2013
  77. Oct 8, 2013
    One of the best games of the year for sure. If you're even mildly interested in this game I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy. I'm about three quarters of the way through and I just don't want to put it down. There's a lot of replay ability as well because of the co-op mode. Amazing game!
  78. Oct 8, 2013
    amazing story, amazing game and amazing graphics and detials
    one of the best games i ever played this year and it's a huge leap over heavy rain

,not for everyone though
  79. Oct 8, 2013
    Played this with my Girlfriend (Me playing Aiden, she Jodie) and we loved it to the very end. Amazing story, characters and graphics. This game don't need good gameplay to be good. Masterpiece!
  80. Oct 8, 2013
    Too many trolls making an account just to review this game and give it a 0.
    Why would you review a game you haven't played or probably will never play if you know what i mean.
    Overall if you enjoyed Heavy Rain,this game is a must by. It has excellent sountracks like HR and the graphics are top notch.i dn't want to spoil the story but it has lots of endings.This game wasn't made for
    everyone in the end,so if you dn't like it then dn't buy it from the beginning Expand
  81. Oct 9, 2013
    The marketing around this "beyond a game" is far more efficient than the program itself wich is close to a serie B movie with cheap actors, cheap effects and cheap story.
  82. Oct 9, 2013
    Game is an absolute piece of art. And because of that it's not something that could have only one opinion about. It is a clear art, including true original vision of big amount of artists working in QD, it is a part of David Cage soul, and only because of that it can not be awful. As I see it almost every bad review is written by people who doesn't really love HR or Fahrenheit. They've said that Heavy Rain is a bad movie and everything, now they're pretending that they've loved it. Well, Beyond is HR squared. It's bigger, it's smarter and it really is more emotional. Of course they are saying now, that it's a bad game. Maybe it's not 10 out of 10, I understand that. But for a game that been created by two-hundred-men-team for three years it really worth more than 5-6/10. Let's be honest: it's not a bad game, it just was too much of an anticipation for it. Expand
  83. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Looks like one of those games that is destined to divide opinion for some time to come! Some reviewers praise the ambitions and well-realised story, while others think it's underwritten, barely coherent dross this is not a typical game like shooter, rpg or action adventure. This is a rather linear quicktime, movie kind of game. People who played heavy rain or indigo prophecy would know what to expect from it. People who buy this game knows what they are in for, mostly for the compelling story and unique take on gaming. This game is its own genre like other quantic dreams' games. this genre has its own style and appeal. & for a type of game like this, I think it outdone itself again and did a great job. I find reviewers who give this a low score expecting it to be played more like another conventional shooter, action adventure Expand
  84. Oct 9, 2013
    Good graphics for a ps3 game,good story but no real decision making which makes the game suffer very much.Also the price point is too high for a interactive novel that with downgraded graphics would do a excellent ios/android game.
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    This is not a game at all. The controls, like one reviewer said, are rubbish. You really do not have control over anything. This really brings the definition of "linear" to a whole new level. Story is bad. Playing this was both frustrating and boring.
  86. Oct 9, 2013
    Don't believe the criticism sites Beyond is the Beyond is maybe most important of the game playstation history. Emotional, sensitive and stunning.. Thanks Quantic Dream..
  87. Oct 9, 2013
    A great send off to the PS3 such a great game the gameplay and way the story progresses may confuse you at first but once you get use to it it's a truly unique gaming experience.
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    Bad as a videogame and bad as a movie, David Cage does not deserve so much attention. And there is not even the illusion off choice like in Fahrenheit or Heavy rain.
    At least those to tried to make you feel like your decisions could change something.
  89. Oct 9, 2013
    There's no other way than playing the game HIMSELF to judge its quality. The game is fantastic, it's an interactive story BUT contains excellent game-play parts, especially when controlling Aiden through walls, spying the surrounding environment and defending Jodie by killing her pursuers. A great game from an innovative French studio.
  90. Oct 9, 2013
    Its a Perfect Game,One of the Best of 2013!
    This is a true life game and everyone should get the lesson of this game that is:
    The game, which features psychological, spiritual, and thriller elements, is centered around questions about what happens after death.
    For the Haters there is a option in the beginning that u can choose "i rarely play video games"!
  91. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really Nice Game!!!!!!Awesome graphics,excellent music,and great acting by Allen Page.This game is fantastic! Best cinematic game ever,It's just like watching a movie Expand
  92. Oct 9, 2013
    Amazing graphics.
    Interesting experiences.
    Awesome musics.
    Natural character animation,voice acting.
    This game was so exciting that I lost track of time.
  93. Oct 9, 2013
    excellent game, with awesome graphics, the story take the attention of the gamer. the principal character shows a human appearance with conflicts that make feel to the gamer. dialogue is attractive.
  94. Oct 9, 2013
    When playing Beyond, I couldn't help but recall an interview I read with Amy Hennig in which she explained that the writing for the Uncharted games started with first developing their exciting, standout events, and then contriving links to tie them all together. The funny thing about Beyond, is that it kind of does the same thing, except A), the events aren't always exciting or memorable, and B), the writers didn't bother to create any links to tie the story together. Instead, Beyond is made up of a bunch of tiny scenes that merey fade in, fade out, and move on to the next. These scenes can last anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes.

During these scenes, there's a very thinly-veiled notion that you're directing the outcome of the story, much like in Telltale's The Walking Dead; however, no matter what you do, everything turns out exactly the same in the end. A perfect example of this occurs very early on in the game where you're given the opportunity to wreak havoc in an office building--at first, you’re prompted by the game to ruffle some papers and knock over some blocks, which scares someone in the room. At that point, you’re given the option to continue messing with stuff in the room, for the sole purpose of freaking this person out even more. I opted not to, because, well, it would have been mean to do so. So I just sat there, and for the next minute or so, the music continued to swell and the panicking individual continued to panic. Finally, the scene ended when some people burst into the room to relieve the main character, who was... sobbing?! Why? She ruffled some papers, and knocked over some blocks. Clearly the writers assumed that all players would go to town on everything in the room, and did not bother writing an alternative; EVERYTHING in the game is predetermined.

Worse, even the best scenes are rarely original. It’s mostly tried-and-true movie tropes designed to evoke emotional responses from the audience. The problem is that that they’e so disconnected from each other that it amounts to nothing.

In the end, Beyond is a collection of low-hanging fruit tropes, cut up nice and neat into tiny, bite-sized vignettes.
  95. Oct 12, 2013
    Everyone who liked HEAVY RAIN will also like this one.....for me best game so far, pretty much head to head to THE LAST OF US.....I really don't know why so many bad reviews?
  96. Oct 9, 2013
    Positive:Graphics even better than crysis3 pc version overall especially the characters,cloth...
    facial emotions/technology is amazing!,music is pretty good,Aiden.Page,Dafoe Story is pretty interesting.
    Hungarian language! little jodie/homless/broken chapter! was my favorite the homless people was so friendly to jodie its like jodie real friends/parents.And the little jodie was veeeery
    cute i loved her.
    Negative:Something is very forced in the game, even if you doing the missions "differently" the outcome is pretty same or a little change. Romance plots is forced its prety ugly for me im a guy so i don't wanna watch a videogame character guys ass front of me its disgusting if i want to watch something like that i go and watch porn.Ryan is the worst charater he always "love" me even if i told him to back off and im not "love you" the story is too linear... and confusing,too short.so overall Heavy Rain was better.But still a masterpiece thats for sure!.
  97. Oct 9, 2013
    As a huge fan of David Cage's, I was incredibly disappointing. I'd much rather watch a movie-version of this attempt at a Quentin Tarantino storytelling. You feel passive, as your decisions don't matter, and you're invincible. You can't die. You can get stabbed, beat to hell, and knocked out, but surprise--Aidan saves the day! The ending doesn't give you any feeling of completion, and the decisions you make (do I want to make Asian beef or soup?) have no pull to the story at all. The combat is the worse the gaming industry has ever seen, and the controls are weak. I was a huge fan of Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain.. Beyond: Two Souls was the biggest disappointment of this generation. Expand
  98. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the new way to tell a story in the future. Videogames aren't only FPS and action, videogames are the new way to create profound content. Beyond Two Souls is magnificent.
  99. Oct 9, 2013
    David Cage is the golden god of gaming. I have a shrine of him above my bed. His smiling face keeps me safe at night. Graphic hot.Story Hot. Ellen Page hot. Willem Dafoe Hot. every thing about this game is amazing. It will make you feel real emotions and find the meaning of life.
  100. Oct 9, 2013
    Well, this is a game, this is not a movie, this is a 50/50 game. Half game half movue and this is great, if you like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead you will like this too, I'm sure. @gamesreflexoes
  101. Oct 8, 2013

(WARNING: Some spoilers will be given from her on)

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.