• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is awesome!!!!I I think it has a low score because this game went against CIA method!!!! Or Microsoft paid a lot of money to the reviewers. The user score is telling us that this game is awesome!!!
  2. Add
    Oct 21, 2013
    First off this game is not for everyone. You need to understand what your getting into before making a purchase. But for those who love video games and movies with great stories and something interesting to say you will be very impressed and immersed. This is an experience. A journey even. Amazing to say the least. If you want to feel something and are open to new things look no further.
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    Great atmosphere during the whole game, each episode feels very differently. Episodes of childhood are great, recalled my long-forgotten feelings and memories. Gameplay has finally delivered, and not infinite swotting X’s, as was in Heavy Rain (which I do not like). Staging and graphics are at highest level. Story grotesque fantasy, as in some lousy anime, but first of all this game aboutGreat atmosphere during the whole game, each episode feels very differently. Episodes of childhood are great, recalled my long-forgotten feelings and memories. Gameplay has finally delivered, and not infinite swotting X’s, as was in Heavy Rain (which I do not like). Staging and graphics are at highest level. Story grotesque fantasy, as in some lousy anime, but first of all this game about emotions and feelings that are passed to the player. In that case this game is just great. Expand
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    This was a fantastic game experience! I rank Beyond: Two Souls as my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind only The Last of Us, and easily in my personal top 20 games of all time. If you care about a good story and compelling characters and their interactions with one another, then you should love this game. However, if you're wanting a lot of depth to the gameplay itself, this mayThis was a fantastic game experience! I rank Beyond: Two Souls as my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind only The Last of Us, and easily in my personal top 20 games of all time. If you care about a good story and compelling characters and their interactions with one another, then you should love this game. However, if you're wanting a lot of depth to the gameplay itself, this may disappoint. The gameplay mechanics are very light and simple, while still being fun, but they don't have the depth and satisfaction that a game like The Last of Us or Uncharted or Splinter Cell, etc, have. If you know that going in and you're on board for the story, then enjoy.

Another real joy of the game is getting to determine what choices Jodie and Aiden make and seeing how those choices play out in the small vignettes you play through as well as the overall storyline. There are also multiple endings that will be determined by your final choices.
  5. Nov 10, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls A great story which varies with your choice. Lovely characters Graphics close to the real life. Musics by Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean With Heavy Rain & Beyond, Quantic Dream leaves its mark on video games & opens up new perspectives. You must play this game
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    Possibly the most incredible and believable graphics to hit the aging PS3 console, Beyond: Two Souls offers a heart-touching, immersive experience to the players who are willing to play a game that thinks out-of-the-box in it's storytelling, something that rarely ever happens in it's genre.

The graphics cannot be empathized enough, the realism and believe value, running on the PS3 is amazing. You choose how Jodie goes through her extraordinary life in order to meet her conclusion. And aside from the rather unfitting ending (the part after choosing your ultimate decision), the game would have been a total of 10/10 for delivering a truly revolutionizing and amazing storytelling experience that is completely believable on the PS3, something that most other games have struggled to do.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    This game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. ClockingThis game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. Clocking in at about. 9 hours (exploring areas fully) this was one of the few great stories that once I started playing I couldn't put the controller down. The walking dead and the last of us are probably the only two games that come even close in terms of emotional story telling. It should also be noticed that the voice acting, music, and sound effects are top notch.
    The controls, story pacing, and limited effects of choices are some valid concerns but really shouldn't dissuade you from playing. If you played walking dead the controls are similar but way less buggy in Beyond.
    Personal highlights from the game are the emotional story, some unexpected and spooky scenes, interesting and thoughtful gameplay using Aiden, and some amazing graphics. So glad I gave this game a chance as it's right up there with bioshock and the last of us for game of the year.
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    Beyond is not just a game, it is a totally different and commendable interactive and emotive experience. Sometimes too ambitious for its own good, but I loved it and I hope Quantic Dream continues surprising us with their quality.
  9. Dec 22, 2013
    A work of art, I've never been so involved in a plot since... Ever! Graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, character's expressions are just perfect, objects and stuff are OK, but I haven't seen any game do it better. I just wish the storyline was as much as changeable according to your actions as it was on Heavy Rain. An absolute must play, remarkable experience.
  10. Dec 29, 2013
    Below is my personal point of view about Beyond: Two Souls game. Please, note that as a player I was quite sceptical about interactive-movie game genre, but Beyond: Two Souls changed my opinion on the matter completely. Now I believe that good interactive-movie is the best format of telling truly amazing stories.

The story. Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good

The story.
    Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good interactive movie should be. Both genre of the story, and how exactly the story is told, make the game so very special. Personally, I'm not a fan of paranormal stories, but this game managed to show me such story in an unusual perspective and with very interesting ideas. The Infraworld and the Entities for example remind me the Fade and Spirits/Demons concepts from Dragon Age series, concepts that I find very interesting to think about and play with. Specific relanionship between Jodie and Aiden is also very interesting concept. And of course, what attracts me the most to the story the philosophical thinking about how different people are treating something/someone alien and each other. Thinking that is very important nowadays.

Ideas used in a game are very important, but they are not the only thing that shape the story. Representation of all these ideas is not less important. And that part of Beyond: Two Souls is just brilliant. The amazing actors' work and all the technologies that were used to move this work into game with awesome graphical engine, combined with beautiful music, great ideas and interesting scenario made the game masterpiece. I can't remember a book, movie, or game that seemed so important and so real for me. I played through the game twice already each time the same deep feelings and thoughts, each time I applauded in the end. Literally.

The gameplay.
    Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is mostly QTE, however I can't call this a disadvantage. Simply, because Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is very diverse and interesting. It uses the entire gamepad. Movement with left stick and looking with right stick reminds any modern third person game (but has much more diferent animations than any regular game). 8 different buttons can be used in three different ways (press, press-and-hold, press-rapidly), and in combinations with each other. Swipe-like interactions with right stick remind swipes common for mobile games very intuitive and handy. Even gyroscope and accelerometer are used. In addition to all of that, Beyond: Two Souls contains elements of different game genres stealth action, cover shooter, simulator, and quest. Finally, Jodie and Aiden gameplays are completely different. Basically, I can't recall any FPS, TPS, or RPG game that has such diverse gameplay possibilities, especially non-combat gameplay possibilities.
    Some people may say that Beyond: Two Souls has too small amout of gameplay, and I will disagree. The game has enough amount of gameplay. It's not too large, so I never got bored with doing the same thing over and over again. And it's not too small, so I get perfect level of immersion, and feel like I'm participating in the story's events, not just observing.
    Some people may also say that impossibility of protagonist's death is the game's disadvantage. But it is not, actually. It fits this particular story very well. And there are other good story-driven games that prove I'm right, for example Planescape: Torment and Darksiders-2. Beyond: Two Souls story depends on player's actions, but not in the way if you will die or not during the gameplay, but in the way of changing turn of events in the story's key moments.
    What I liked the most in Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is melee combat. I found it very dynamic, exciting, and sometimes very challenging. It was really exciting to see fully motion captured diverse melee and run scenarios with a lot of key-points for intuitive interactions, which are not always easy to perform. This kind of melee combat requires attention and concentration, it looks and feels really great and realistic, and honestly, I would prefer such melee gameplay over any other variants of melee regular games can offer nowadays.
    One more thing worth mentioning is dialogue system. What I like about it is that unlike other dialogue systems, it's quite challenging. You can't trigger dialogue scene, then go drink some coffee, talk to your fiends for a while, make a couple of calls, and then return to the game just to see the dialogue scene as you left it 20 minutes ago. Dialogue options are fading in matter of seconds. Sometimes they are blinking and flouncing in accordance to your character's condition when Jodie is tired or angry for example, and it quite hard to say something right in such a condition, just like in real life.

The conclusion.
    Playing Beyond: Two Souls is really amazing game experience.
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  15. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the sameThis game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    First of all, if you're just a gamer that wants to blast people's heads off than this may not be your type of game.
    But with amazing graphics, a very good story line and a really good cast of actors this games grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go of you till the end credits. This game made me play for 8 hours straight with a little break in between, but that's really rare for games these days.

People say the game is short, but it's not shorter than any other single player story of any other game.

To everyone who's looking for a nice game to play with a very good story, I recommend this game.
  17. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics, Remarkable storyline, Great narrating, Stunning music, Amazing voice acting and an absurd gameplay! It's hard for some gamers to love it, yes, but it's also hard for everyone to hate this master piece!
  19. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is not for everyone but for some who wants a rich story with great conflicted characters then this is your game. It's not a heavy action game with the gameplay being restricted throughout the gameplay. The Playstation 3 literally shows what it can do on its end to the Playstation 4 coming in a couple months.

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden,

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden, Choices
    Cons: Controls, Restricted game-play

Conclusion: Game-play is a little troubling to get through but the whole experience so rich and so great that people who skip the game would miss something so different than most games society has played.
  20. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and IBeyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  22. Nov 9, 2013
    I rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiotsI rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiots because they don't get it. That's sad to me. This game is gorgeous, and so awesome. My other favorite game this year is The Last of Us. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good too. Expand
  23. Oct 15, 2013
    I had my doubts about David Cages new epic. I really enjoyed Heavy rain and didn't take any notice of the moaners who kept on going on about it's only quick time blah blah blah. What was wrong with that game however was the acting which let it down badly in some scenes, not all by any means but some.
    I felt that maybe he hadn't learned his lesson and I had grave doubts about using Hollywood actors as they are actually different and most of the best voice actors or indeed motion capture actors are not really successful big name Hollywood actors. That may just me being conditioned to think that without any real evidence but that what I feared for this game, being a little too cheesy like Heavy rain was at times. I was wrong on so many accounts. Ellen Page is brilliant as the lead and the motion capture tech has evolved enough by companies like Cages that it genuinely captures the actors true talent that comes through loud and clear. Maybe this is the way forward now, to get actors who are at the top of their game, no pun intended, to play in more video games as Ellen takes this on to new heights imho.
    You may have read that the supporting cast aren't that good by some critics, well that's just not true. All the performances were good to excellent imho.
    A slight spoiler here but if you play as the spirit sometimes you'll see dead people in unexpected places. Very creepy and it works well. On this point this game really does send shivers up your from time to time, something that a Hollywood film has been unable to do to me for literally years!
    Another criticism of the game is the 'broken up narrative style' Many saying it confuses them somehow.
    I disagree again as this is not a film it is first and foremost a game and doing it this way lets you get straight into the action without the boring buildup in heavy rain before you get to the real action and good stuff. This too me work very well indeed and you don't lose the story it's just told in a more exciting way that works particularly well for the media it's made for.
    There is a real kicker at the end that I didn't see coming and though it's not an ending that is in say, bioshock infinite's' class that is hardly surprising as this is a game that gives you many endings and even though Cage is imho a bit of a genius he or say Ken Levine would find it impossible to come up with 20 odd equally amazing endings, but, as I have said there is a really good kick at the end and that's impressive enough.
    Cage likes to call his games interative experiences and to this end it should be judged as such and whether you personally like this style of gameplay or not it shouldn't stop you at least trying to understand what quantic Dream are trying to achieve with their excellent products.
    Is it game of the year? Well maybe not the game of the year as this has been a particularly good year for games such as The last of Us, GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite all of which deserve their illustrious reputations but so does beyond two souls and I would put it right up there with the best of the best.
    Buy it! it's a keeper
  24. Nov 11, 2013
    It's an awesome game, with great graphics, and amazing mo-capping, but I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no real longevity to the game, once you've completed it; Just alternate cut-scenes.
  25. Oct 22, 2013
    So, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, othersSo, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, others will hate it.

As for myself, I very much enjoyed the experience. The story kept me playing for hours at a time, the graphics were stunning, and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe's acting was great.

A few minor complains may be the buttclench-inducing clichés that happen a few times throughout the story. With everything else, I couldn't be happier. I haven't played Heavy Rain or any other of Cage's games so I can't really compare them.

Overall it was definitely worth my time and money, and if you're looking for something very interesting, definitely pick this up, it certainly isn't the worst purchase you can make!
  26. Oct 26, 2013
    Love this game, best single player game I have ever experienced, finished the whole thing in one sitting, well into the early hours of the morning, that's how hooked and immersed I was by this emotional journey!

Though slightly confusing at first due to it's non linear nature, it picks up really quickly and the resolution ties everything together beautifully. I completely agree with the uncompromising way in which the story is delivered, it would not be as impactful otherwise. You get to be there with Jodie for all the highlights of 15 eventful and tragic years of her life and become very attached to the character.

The tech is cutting edge and easily the best looking game on the PS3, the animation fidelity and motion capture stick out particularly, you forget you're playing a video game. The attention to small details is unmatched. I don't usually rate games with a 10 but this takes the cake for me, can't wait to see what Quantic Dream come up with next!
  27. Nov 21, 2013
    First: you need to be the type of persons who enjoys story telling games like this.
    Beyond: Two Souls has an awesome story that totally caught me and it comes with incredible graphics and acting.
    The only negative thing about the game is the difficulty, which really is not challenging for any experienced gamer. Still, I never felt like "watching a movie" but always like I was actively making decisions and playing a video game.
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    Alright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games likeAlright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games like GTA, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, I think reviewers would have seen Beyond as a masterpiece, giving it scores similar to mine, all around. I suggest Beyond, to anyone who cares about storytelling, and don't need a game to be a classic game, following the rules of lodology. If you can enjoy titles like Gone Home, Heavy Rain and don't mind being an observer, of a brilliantly crafted world, with minor input, Beyond will give you, in return, the most touching story you will experience for a while, on par with the likes of The Last of Us and Gone Home. If you need your games to be a classic game though, I cannot recommend Beyond, instead I'd suggest you to just go play GTA: Online some more. Beyond does not deserve to win Game of the Year, but it deserves a mention, for it truly cracked my heart.

And something I cannot stress enough, is just how amazing Ellen Page, and William Dafoe performed in this. Ellen's tears makes you cry, and Dafoe's voice makes you shiver, an excellent performance by all the sub characters as well. The rest of the world also sounds amazing, the biggest exception being gunfire, which is a little on the disappointing side. Wind, cars, rain etc. sounds rather good though, so the audio in the game is great, but not nearly as great as The Last of Us, which had magnificent sounds and scores. Soundtrack is very fitting, but also a bit forgettable. Definitely one of the better soundtracks, but I would not go out and buy the soundtrack, and I don't think the soundtrack on it's own could bring me back to the emotions I felt in the game

The graphics in Beyond, does have a few misses here and there, but it is a really pretty game. Quantic made a wise decision changing the format ration, freeing the GPU of some pixel rendering, leaving the remaining are with more polygons and effects.

There are two chapters in the game, that left me disappointed, Navajo and The Mission. Navajo I believe should have been cut entirely, cause I felt it added nothing, except a few hours, and an extra choice. The Mission is very important to the story, but there is a bit where you meet a little kid, and I felt his whole story to be extremely odd. This kid, speaks a different language than you, but he understands when you tell him to stay close to you. I felt the whole relationship with this kid, was David Cage trying to punch emotion, for the sake of keeping the player intrigued, as the rest of the story was building. These are minor concerns though, in an otherwise brilliant story, that deserves much more praise than it has gotten. David Cage, you have my respect.
  29. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a gameBeyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a game that everyone Will like,for example a gamer that loves COD and is loking for constant action maybe Will be disapointed,a gamer that prefers story rater that gameplay is going to love the game Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is maybe the most emotional game I've ever played in my life as a gamer (already 25 years). I finished it yesterday for the first time and cannot get the characters and events out of my head. It is very intense experience there were moments I wanted to reach out to Jodie, give her hug and say "It's going to be okay!"
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain (also from Quantic Dream, 2010). I still remember that discomforting feeling moving Ethan into broken bits of glass.

One circumstance is keeping me away from giving it a 10: the lack of choice in some events and places.
    But overall, Beyond: Two Souls takes epic gaming to the next level. Games like this and Heavy Rain keeps me believing that games are improving continuously leading the player into new adventures.

Let me say something about Ellen Page there are very few words which are able to describe her breath taking performance and passion adequately. I want to personally thank her for giving this project a shot.

So everybody out there who is into story and gaming should play this videogame! Because it's not about discussion interactive movies vs. videogames it's all about the fun!
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    Excellent game, which will understand everyone.
    "Beyond: two souls" is a game isn't game of year. This game will be not loved by all. It it isn't ideal, but "beyond: two souls" captured me more feasibly than "heavy rain", and didn't release up to the end. If such genre of games is pleasant to you, from "beyond: two souls" you will be delighted...
  32. Oct 13, 2013
    This game's story offered one of the most fufilling experiences I've had in years. Ellen Page really makes you fall in love with Jodie Holmes with incredible sincerity. Amazing how much respect I've gained for her with her performance in a video game of all things.

I've finished this game twice, and the 2nd ending I got nearly moved me to tears. THEY'RE ARE OVER 20 ENDINGS I'M TOLD! With Kadeem Hardison and Williem Dafoe playing supporting roles, it's very well acted out material. Solid performances all around.

No, Beyond is not a deep gameplay experience: it's light on skill, little exploration, and you don't grow stronger or anything. There's a small learning curve with pointing the right stick in the direction of the area of attack during fights (esp if you're like me and played without the arrow). Truthfully though, I've got plenty of video games I can turn to to fill that deep gameplay experience void..plenty. Who cares if Quantic Dream's games take a more cinematic approach? Just about everyone else is still making video games in the "traditional sense". I have a diverse collection of games, and Beyond adds to that even more.

The Playstation 3 has several exclusive gems available. Beyond Two Souls is definitely one of those gems for the system. Graphically, it might arguably be the best the PS3 has ever offered. When you take the time to invest into the main character, and immerse yourself into her struggles with life and her reality, Beyond Two Souls is one awesome tale that can give you quite an emotional connection with an amazing protagonist.
  33. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is wonderful. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on PS3. The motion capture is as close to realistic movement as possible and the acting (especially Ellen Page and Willem Defoe) is incredible. I would go as far as to say Ellen Page as Jodie is the best performance in a game.

The controls are maybe a little basic. I would say Beyond plays more like an interactive novel or serial drama (like The Walking Dead video game from last year) then like a traditional game. Some people find this annoying and I could see why. I think Beyond's story manages to be engrossing and emotional. Ranging from quiet interactions to big action set pieces. The game is about 10 hours long. It might not be worth the full price to some but it is surely worth a rental. Everyone that owns a PS3 should experience this game.
  34. Oct 14, 2013
    Guys let's be fair to the game.
    Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter.
    The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear. What I do give it, is that the game can go in sooo many directions based on your performance and choices. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The idea of a high end graphic novel is amazing. I love it. The story is 100, it has
    Guys let's be fair to the game.
    Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter.
    The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear.
    The story is 100, it has mystery, depth, suspense, death, emotion, etc.
    This is a greatttt game. If you guys wanna talk about lack of action and character controller go review ACTION games. If you think this is so linear, let's peak over to Call of Duty. Tell me the different ways you can end the game. Please.
    All in all, great game, needs to be treated in its own category.
    My only complaint would be the slowness in which she hops over fences and goes through cracks or windows. It seems petty I know, but they aimed for a realistic graphic novel with playable aspects, in reality it doesn't take 45 seconds to go through a window.
    Great game! Love it! Watching/playing right now and I'm not even done, I'm hooked. MORE OF THIS GENRE PLEASE!!!!
  35. Oct 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect for story lovers and good graphics its must buy for any gamer who like David cage games just like heavy rain you ether like it too much or hate it for me it is the best game this year and the best thing in it the story and the acting
  36. Oct 14, 2013
    I liked this game, the graphics were off the charts and the gameplay was fun and cinematic. Although Aiden is very simple to play as, it still is very fun to take over people seing the results.
  37. Nov 4, 2013
    Not all games need to have identical gameplay. This is not a shooter. It is not even a third person adventure, not in the traditional sense. It is an interactive movie.
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    If you liked Heavy Rain, you'll like this. it is like that, only with better story, graphics, controls and acting. Truly one of a kind and of excellent
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    Truly one of a kind and of excellent quality. I love this game.
    But like heavy Rain, be warned going in it has extremely limited replayability and isn't too long by other game's standards. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it was 10 hours long.
    But even one time through is worth buying. Rent if you're poor, but buy if you can to support well made art.
  38. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a great game. Graphics were great, and the acting from Ellen page and Willem Dafoe was excellent. Great soundtrack as well. The music was well suited to the various moods of the story as it progressed. Well done Quantic Dream.
  39. Oct 23, 2013
    At first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of aAt first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of a mix of a game, a film and a book. The story depth of a book, the visual and acting quality and general presentation (camera angles etc) of film, and the interaction of a game. As long as you're not expecting a game solely based around your skill and control of the character, then you'll love this game! Expand
  40. Oct 23, 2013
    Es un juego que de principio a fin te mantiene en vilo de lo que puede suceder, una rica historia, graficos de por si espectaculares, lastima que todo tiene un final, pero sin duda este juego quedara en el corazon de muchos, da bronca ver como tiene tan poco puntaje en ciertos reviews.
  41. Oct 24, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls muy buen juego, excelente!, es muy interesante y emotivo, incluso llegue a llorar en una parte del juego, es heavy en verdad, uno se adentra en la historia y quiere saber que pasará. Que sea como una película y que las decisiones que tomemos cambien el rumbo de la historia lo hace aun mas interesante.
    Un 10.
  42. Oct 26, 2013
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    The story for me was fantastic and I was happy to be along for the ride, completely immersed in Jodie's journey.
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    That is probably the most devisive thing about the game though, if you can't let yourself get pulled into Jodie's world then I can imagine it may seem muddled due to the shuffled stories and appear hard to follow..I do recommend you approach this with an open mind however as once you forget this is a 'game' and treat it as an experience you will be rewarded with what for me has been the best I've had in a long time, the 'Homeless' chapter especially as I've never cared so much about characters in a story as quickly or as deeply as in this one, such brilliant writing and indeed acting as Ellen Page and the supporting cast put so much emotion into their portrayal of those characters.

I wholeheartedly recommend you forget any score you've seen on any review site (including mine and this one) and find out yourself, but its definatley worth a try for the ride alone.
  43. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this was not only the most powerful experience in gaming I have ever had, it was also one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had,period. I have rarely been so enveloped into anything before in my life, and the fact that it came from a game is testament to quantic dreams talent,as in heavy rain you are taking through a tense and developing world but in this the character growth is near perfect in regards to its realism, by the end of the game I was left feeling like I had just reached a key moment in my life that will stay with me forever, I look forward to quantic dreams' next foray into cinematic gaming.
    (the game lost out on the 10/10 due to the slow motion combat being very hard to judge)
  44. Oct 28, 2013
    Redtail2212

Redtail2212

Beyond two souls is a story driven game that being said some action scene may to not be seen that well done but it makes up for it in the story. You fell for the main charter and the side characters it provide some of the best graphic seen on consoles. Some might argue that the game play was bad but the walking dead got game of the year and it was a point click game. Beyond two souls packs a epic experience for all players i just wish it was on PC.
  45. Oct 28, 2013
    Everything about this game is just as good as I remember Heavy Rain. Being like heavy rain sparked my interest in it, in the first place. But this game was absolutely incredible and a must have for any heavy rain fans out there. If you loved Heavy Rain, you'll love Beyond! No doubt about it!
  46. Oct 29, 2013
    awesome game i felt so connected to the story and great graphics cant wait to see what next gen has in store. controls and camera angels were a bit awkward at some times but other than that 10/10
  47. Nov 5, 2013
    is certainly in my opinion the best game of the century, in my opinion is better than gta and all others, I think Quantic Dream did a great job with a game like this so spectacular with perfect gameplay and graphics, a story perfect with otimos movements personagem.Enfim, took first place in my top 5
  48. Jan 8, 2014
    So Beyond Two Souls, my most recently completed game. Its a story about Jodie Holmes (played by Ellen Page), a girl who is linked to Aiden, an entity/spirit since the day she was born and how it affect her lives.

I went into the game with a range of thoughts from good to below average. And boy, my doubts were completely washed away from the moment I sat through the openings. One thing to take note though, this is more of an interactive drama than the average video game with guns and explosion, so with that aside, here are my thoughts.

Needless to say, games from QuanticDreams always has the best graphics on PS3, it is very cinematic so there is no 16:9 ratio but instead a letterbox resolution you typically saw in a movie. Gameplays are simple yet effective to progress through the story, you walk with the left stick as usual and push the right stick to the direction Jodie is moving when in combat. Aside from her, you can also switch in and out of Aiden most of the game and use it to solve majority of the puzzles. I have no issues with it but I can see why some people won't like it.

Unlike most story driven games, this plays non chronologically which means you jump in and out of the important events on her 15 year timeline, you will play her as a kid in a chapter then the next she might be in a desert hunting for terrorists warlord, this is very interesting to say the least, it lets you piece the puzzles together yourselves this way and I think its very smart, kudos to the devs. One negative about that is that since the story makes you choose your own decision in some sections, the consequences does not last as long as we want it to be like in The Walking Dead, another great game if I might add.

Character development is fantastic, you can really relate to them and actually give a damn about them in clutch moments. All of this is done by the stellar performances the actors put out, if you watch the first Spiderman trilogy, you might recognise Willem Dafoe, who plays Nathan Dawkins in this game, a fatherly researcher who takes cares of Jodie since she was a kid to find out and understand more about phenomena such as Aiden.

I can't say much about the stories without spoiling it but do expect some twists and some gut wrenching moments. Alright, lets close it up since its already 4am for me. The game has one of the most realistic facial capture, innovative gameplay, stellar performances, great executions on high emotional peaks, goosebumps inducing soundtrack and a F*CK TON of efforts put into this.

A great pick up for a change of pace if you ask me, I will recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Heavy Rain which is another notable title brought to you from the very same team. Thank you for reading my little review and I hope you enjoyed it.
  49. Nov 22, 2013
    Word of warning Some minor spoilers can be found through the review.

Sorry for the length of this text, but this game deserves that I put all my feelings here (let's hope it fits). Intro I enjoyed the game so much that for the first time since 2006 I felt like I had to share my thoughts. For that I actually created an account here on Metacritic. Let's do this! Graphics Ok... To
    Word of warning Some minor spoilers can be found through the review.

Intro

Graphics
    Ok... To Hell! I'll write exactly how I feel. There is no other way than saying this! Holy Blast! OMG! That's gorgeous, my PS3 almost melted (I'm still with the fat one, since '06 :D what a machine). The mocap is really smooth and detailed, the actors outstanding. That was quite a performance there.

Music
    I'm still listening to the score, it IS that awesome! Maybe even better than Heavy Rain's because I feel like it's more diverse. It truly has a movie feel and I won't forget it unlike almost every other game soundtracks. I knew Hans Zimmer for a lot of movie tracks, but I'll definitively add Mr. Lorne Balfe to the names to remember.

Gameplay
    One of the most important aspect of a game with his story. To those who argue it isn't a game, well it is close to an interactive movie, but you still can move freely. Few examples are The Condenser (totally felt like in Resident Evil for the mood), The Mission, Homeless, etc. I know it's not GTA V or Skyrim that are open worlds, but come on, don't tell me that game were more opened than Beyond back in the days of old Nintendo (yeah like Mario Bros., good old one-way side-scrolling. Still everyone calls it a game).

Story
    The story! Well, I don't dig paranormal activities... but for once, I did! I got sucked in so hard, that I did the game almost in one sitting (almost in fact because I started it around 11 pm and stopped at 4 in the morning to finally complete it after 5h of sleep :D). Yes, some part are a bit cliché, but let's be honest, look at how many zombie games there is... Seriously can you tell me that every single one of them is completely unique and not even a bit cliché?! I doubt it, I've done quite a few and I'm starting to think that the only way a zombie outbreak can occur is because of a virus... That said, I really like the way the story is split in chapters and that they are not played in order. It leaves you with only the timeline and title to try to figure out what happened, making you want to know more (after all when looking at memories, it's never really in order or maybe it's just me...).

Feelings
    My feelings about the game now... It was a roller coaster (not like Heavy Rain that I felt was a one way ticket to get depressed, always getting darker and sad)! Fear of the unknown, hate, stress, love, joy sometimes (snowball fight totally aimboted those kids!).

Just a quick comparison, Minor BF4 Spoiler in Battlefield 4 (near the beginning) you have to cut a leg. It happened so quickly that I don't know why but I didn't really realize what I did. I wasn't in the mood. I cut it quickly then moved on. But in Beyond, you think before doing something and not all choices are easy! So with all that, I really connected with the game and for the first time (I've been playing video games since '93 and a lot of them), I had to fight tears back and for that I applaud you Quantic Dream (There was tough moments in Heavy Rain but the constant change of character sometimes killed my immersion. I was a father looking for his missing son, I didn't care about the agent dude).

In conclusion, yes some parts were a bit predictable (actually for the past few years it has been the same for almost every movie I watched or game I played, except for The Stanley Parable. So I didn't really bother) but I didn't see all of it coming towards the end, I guess I was too focused on what was happening to Jodie in every chapter.

What began with a little sneak peek of a game walkthrough (that I hadn't heard of), turned into an incredible journey filled with such emotions.

I hope that Mr. David Cage won't change a thing about the way he presents us his stories. I definitively need more of that kind of game.

On a side note :
    Oh and by the way for those who think Beyond is only a movie and wonder why paying $60 when you can see the playthrough on youtube? Well I beat the game, went on youtube to see the rest of the walkthrough that made me discover the game and some other. It was interesting to see other people choices. But! It was very frustrating to know that they were missing something in some part of the game and to discover that me too I had miss some. So that's why it was worth. I was worth to live the experience, to actually make my own choices and to accept the ending that was based on what I did with a lot of small details and variations from others!

Thank you for your time, I once again apologize for the length of it, but I needed to let it all out, because this game, in my opinion, deserves it.
  50. Nov 24, 2013
    Having finished this game I can say it's worth playing. For some reason this game felt as if Metal Gear Solid 4 met Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. David Cage's games are for those who like to get deeply involved with the story line and don't mind some futuristic themes being interleaved with present day settings. For those who have played QuanticDream's older games you'll feel right at home.
  51. Nov 25, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls was originally meant to be a movie. So naturally YOU don't have much control. But if I had review it as a movie, I would give it 10/10. If you are going into this game thinking you are going to be 'good' at it, then this game is probably not the game for you, seeing as it is basically interactive cutscenes.

Verdict: This is an amazing game and a must play. But I would

Verdict: This is an amazing game and a must play. But I would say it is an experience rather than a game.
  52. Nov 26, 2013
    Although the game can be finished in a few days or less, I loved it! its dynamic, its different, its more like playing a movie. It may not be the technical experience some gamers are looking for, but it is engrossing and one can become emotionally connected with the main character who is the real Ellen Page well not the real Ellen Page but... you know what I mean. Its a roller coasterAlthough the game can be finished in a few days or less, I loved it! its dynamic, its different, its more like playing a movie. It may not be the technical experience some gamers are looking for, but it is engrossing and one can become emotionally connected with the main character who is the real Ellen Page well not the real Ellen Page but... you know what I mean. Its a roller coaster ride of a game that could be played over and over and be just as enjoyable the tenth time through. Expand
  53. Nov 27, 2013
    What a beautiful looking game!

But looks aren't everything and well, the story line is awesome! you do begin to care for Jody and the game does bring you out with emotions.

Gameplay is good, character movement a bit iffy in some places but the quick time events are engaging and you have a short time to think about actions.

If you enjoyed Heavy Rain you'll love this!
  54. Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great graphics and game play are featured in this character driven game. The main protagonist, Jodie Holmes always knew she was different and it is up to you to help steer her through missions, life or death decisions, and, well, basically, trying to save the world as we know it.

Game play comes in two modes normal (where there is more interaction and less prods and pointers) and easy (this is more about following the story than you needing any skills)

I can't recommend this enough. It can seem quite bleak in places but that adds to the realism.

Exceptional.
  55. Dec 2, 2013
    You will enjoy this game so much, no matter what. I loved it, but i took 1 point out because i didn't feel like i was puting my foot into the story. I mean that in Heavy Rain, i could change the story incredibly. Still, this game is awesome and i recommend it to everyone who owns a Ps3! Awesome graphics, gameplay improved, interesting story and characters... And... Ellen Page
  56. Dec 3, 2013
    The number One incridible gaming experiences i ever saw! This is the most emotional and memorable game experience ever. So much emotion to be lived in this game. WOW 10 ON 10 SERIOUSLY TRY IT!!!
  57. Dec 14, 2013
    Beyond is definitely one of the top games of 2013, but it is NOT perfect or a masterpiece by any means. If you enjoy story and are looking for a "game" that's different from everything else out there, this is a must buy. I know that some people are complaining about plot holes and such, but none are game destroying by any means. Many can holes could be closed by just using some commonBeyond is definitely one of the top games of 2013, but it is NOT perfect or a masterpiece by any means. If you enjoy story and are looking for a "game" that's different from everything else out there, this is a must buy. I know that some people are complaining about plot holes and such, but none are game destroying by any means. Many can holes could be closed by just using some common sense or suspension of disbelief, which is good enough for me. The acting is great, script is pretty good, and the graphics are fantastic. Go into the game with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. The only things bringing the game down for me are the couple cases of inconsistencies in the story, the sometimes confusing QTE's, and the player choices not having much overall affect on the story other than affecting just that immediate situation. Expand
  58. Dec 13, 2013
    The Game is Beautifull, Amazing Story,Awesome Graphics a AWESOME Gameplay. It's Like Heavy Rain You have to play this game. And now it's one of my Favorite Games Quantic Dreams Is Awesome
  59. Dec 16, 2013
    Do not listen to the Critic's reviews on this game. Go ahead and guide your eyes to the User scores, that should get all the information to your brain that you need. This is the most emotional game I have played in a long time. The story draws you in from the start with all the ominous foreshadowing and flash backs.

If you haven't played this game I highly recommend that you make that

If you haven't played this game I highly recommend that you make that happen. The actors do a phenomenal job with their characters. Play this Game
  60. Dec 26, 2013
    If you are looking for a great story this is your game. Its like being engrossed in a movie that lasts much longer. You become very attached to the characters. The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen. Also, the game play is a new style with being able to switch to Aiden. I really enjoyed the decision making aspect as well because it enveloped you into the character and you got toIf you are looking for a great story this is your game. Its like being engrossed in a movie that lasts much longer. You become very attached to the characters. The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen. Also, the game play is a new style with being able to switch to Aiden. I really enjoyed the decision making aspect as well because it enveloped you into the character and you got to create her personality. Yes, the game is going to get to the same points but the charters reactions really change many aspects to the story. Overall, this game is really fun and you will lose track of time following the story and always wondering what happens next. I would even give it an 8 out of 10 replay value. The game was not exactly what I expected when i first started after watching and reading reviews, but even better and I quickly fell in love. Have fun gaming, hope this helps. Expand
  61. Dec 29, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is more than just a video game, It is an experience. With outstanding graphics and a stellar performance from Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe, and Kadeem Haridson, David Cage has yet again created one of the most beautiful masterpieces in human history. Beyond: Two Souls has characters you are sure to fall in love with, and a storyline that touches your heart like nothingBeyond: Two Souls is more than just a video game, It is an experience. With outstanding graphics and a stellar performance from Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe, and Kadeem Haridson, David Cage has yet again created one of the most beautiful masterpieces in human history. Beyond: Two Souls has characters you are sure to fall in love with, and a storyline that touches your heart like nothing you've ever felt before. Expand
  62. Jan 2, 2014
    The best game I have ever played. Loved Jodie as a character and the story was excellent, visually the game looked awesome and the music was also fantastic
  63. Feb 3, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played!
    Graphics are stunning! Dialogs, controls and story are much better than in Heavy rain. And the main thing the game gaves me is some unforgetable emotions, like when I played snowballs...
  64. Oct 16, 2013
    This is beautiful, awesome and compelling game! What game have the reviewers been playing?
    No this is not your average game, but it has great graphics, great story telling and pretty cool and unique game play.
    At first you will need to get used to the controls but after the first 2 chapters you are used to it (at least i was) I never thought this was going to be a game i am going to
    I never thought this was going to be a game i am going to LOVE, like sure but LOVE... What i didn't know this game had an unique and very cool game play and the story just sucks you right in.
    I am going to be honest i never played Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit but i am sure going to play them now.
    If you love a game with a compelling story and a totally different way of playing than the 'mainstream' games, this is totally a game for you!
  65. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such aWe're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  66. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a fun interactive game that gives you more freedom than you think. I think it's one of the best games of the generation. If you enjoy games with a great story and likable characters than this game is for you. I feel this is a GOTY contender.
  67. Oct 11, 2013
    First off, Beyond is more of an interactive story than a traditional game. The interaction is limited, and alot of people may not be into this type of "game". If that's the case, you'll hate it. However, if you understand what it is and what it tries to do, then Beyond is incredible. Great graphics, compelling characters, interesting story. It drew me in emotionally and kept me engrossedFirst off, Beyond is more of an interactive story than a traditional game. The interaction is limited, and alot of people may not be into this type of "game". If that's the case, you'll hate it. However, if you understand what it is and what it tries to do, then Beyond is incredible. Great graphics, compelling characters, interesting story. It drew me in emotionally and kept me engrossed from start to finish. Ellen Page does an outstanding job as Jodie. I found myself genuinely caring about her and her journey. Its truly engaging watching her grow and deal with her gift. There are a couple minor control flaws, and a couple instances where you're not quite sure what you're supposed to do right away. These are quickly forgotten though as you get swept away in Jodie's life. If you've never played Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain, give Beyond a try. Expand
  68. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two souls has a very great story, great characters and I was sad then the game ended, just because the game was ending. I would say, it is probably one of the best games in the last few years (and I have played a lot of games). It does also focus on the emotions of the characters. The graphics is also great for a PS3 game.
  69. Oct 12, 2013
    Everyone who liked HEAVY RAIN will also like this one.....for me best game so far, pretty much head to head to THE LAST OF US.....I really don't know why so many bad reviews?
  70. Oct 9, 2013
    What an incredibly original, emotionally engaging, story. The graphics are amazing and the voice acting is top notch. I found the combat mechanics to be a step up from it's predecessor Heavy Rain in this game you are forced to pay attention to what is happening around you rather than just looking for what button you have to push. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great storyWhat an incredibly original, emotionally engaging, story. The graphics are amazing and the voice acting is top notch. I found the combat mechanics to be a step up from it's predecessor Heavy Rain in this game you are forced to pay attention to what is happening around you rather than just looking for what button you have to push. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great story driven gaming experience. Expand
  71. Oct 10, 2013
    This game has one of the best stories I've ever experienced, if you liked Heavy Rain you'll love this game. The game-play is a lot like Heavy Rain so if you expect anything else you might be confused.
  72. Oct 12, 2013
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, thisIt's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, this game was plenty worth my time and money. My experience with it was a 10/10, your experience may vary, of course. At least give it a try if possible check out the demo or something--you may not know what you are missing. Expand
  73. Oct 10, 2013
    we can only enjoy these kinds of game Finally something new, different and exiting !

Thanks to David Cage, people at Quantic Dreams and Sony for giving player's so much emotions.

Good work guys This game will take good place in hit of the game history of the PS3 with The last of US, GOW3, Uncharted, Heavy Rain
  74. Oct 10, 2013
    A new, fresh approach to story telling. This game sets the standard for descriptive gameplay and engages the player with a gripping/captivating effect that is achieved by so few. The PS3 is definitly going out with a BANG! and this game proves that only until the end of a console's life cycle do developers really earn the ability to exploit the technology to the fullest. Change isA new, fresh approach to story telling. This game sets the standard for descriptive gameplay and engages the player with a gripping/captivating effect that is achieved by so few. The PS3 is definitly going out with a BANG! and this game proves that only until the end of a console's life cycle do developers really earn the ability to exploit the technology to the fullest. Change is something people have great difficulty with and this game proves it. Many will say it is not a game it is a movie, where is the action? but we need to understand that this is a form of art which makes it very difficult to access since it is quite uniqe. Expand
  75. Oct 10, 2013
    Awesome game. Great story, an incredible level of graphics for PS3. I got so many emotions, thank Quantic Dream- you are the best. David Cage genius, the actors are great. It`s game of the year for me and one of the favorites games for all history of videogames.
  76. Oct 11, 2013
    Just great, honestly. Beyond gorgeous movie, not very detailed and quite linear. But if you discard all the prejudices and just enjoy it all 10 of 10.One of reason for buying ps3.
  77. Oct 9, 2013
    Don't believe the criticism sites Beyond is the Beyond is maybe most important of the game playstation history. Emotional, sensitive and stunning.. Thanks Quantic Dream..
  78. Oct 10, 2013
    I really loved the Game,great gameplay,awesome story,perfect characters and a interactive Game,the best
    This Game it's the revolution of heavy rain,great game
  79. Oct 16, 2013
    During this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....MyDuring this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....My only reservation is that there are gamers out there who will not buy this game based solely on the misguided tepid reviews of a few critics and users--trust me, they have made a bad call-- and that is a shame because they will be losing out on one of the best journeys they can take in gaming--- Be warned--this is not your typical black op/fantasy/ science fiction shooter or slow mo blood and gore epic-- It is a compelling, emotional trip you take with this young girl (young and older Jodie played so well by both actresses) and you can only do that because of the excellent production values of this story....Thank-you Quantric--it was an awesome experience Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised at how polarized the reviews for this game are. It is especially obvious at how much of a masterpiece this game is when you pop in Heavy Rain (as I did immediately after I beat BTS). The disparity in the amount of detail in the graphics, story, and ambition between the two games is staggering. To think this is how I felt when I first played through Heavy Rain says aI'm honestly surprised at how polarized the reviews for this game are. It is especially obvious at how much of a masterpiece this game is when you pop in Heavy Rain (as I did immediately after I beat BTS). The disparity in the amount of detail in the graphics, story, and ambition between the two games is staggering. To think this is how I felt when I first played through Heavy Rain says a lot. Beyond Two Souls simply pushes the PS3 to the limits in terms of graphical power. The storyline is incredible (I loved the twist at the end), and the voice-acting by Ellen Page and William Defoe is top-notch. It's like an amazing ten-hour sci-fi flick, only more involving due to the cool gameplay mechanics Quantum has incorporated into the game. You can switch back and forth almost at any point between Jodie (Ellen Page) and Aiden (a spirit she can communicate with that is tethered to her body), so this presents exciting moments throughout the campaign where you'll have to take over people's bodies, remember a dead person's last moments, or my personal favorite, help the living communicate with their dead family members. The latter of those abilities leads to some of the most emotional moments in ANY videogame. The variety of things you have to do, the locales you visit, and the people you meet keep everything fresh for the entire campaign. Things really pick up after the first hour or so and never really let up. I disagree with some of the negative reviews saying the story was convoluted. Once again play Heavy Rain and you'll see how superior this game is to that one. Don't hesitate in playing BTS. It is one of the best interactive experiences you can have. Expand
  81. Oct 9, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5, I rounded to 9. It is an amazing game with a few minor problems. Lets get the problems out of the way first, the only problems I had with the game was the occasional clunkiness of the controls(it wasn't always bad but I don't know why it occasionally was, maybe will be fixed in a patch). The other thing that was a slight con in my opinion is that even if youI give this game an 8.5, I rounded to 9. It is an amazing game with a few minor problems. Lets get the problems out of the way first, the only problems I had with the game was the occasional clunkiness of the controls(it wasn't always bad but I don't know why it occasionally was, maybe will be fixed in a patch). The other thing that was a slight con in my opinion is that even if you horribly mess up you still manage to continue on, unlike Heavy Rain where you could have your characters killed, maybe it is because they were just human and you have Aiden, anyway back to the point, those two things are the only things that detracted from the game in my opinion. The pros are a great story, great acting, beautiful graphics and art design, the emotional moments, the way Quantic Dream doesn't fear being different. All in all I highly recommend this game, go get it! Expand
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    Definitely game of the year. Oh, at least just for me. It is for these games, I never cease to be interested in the gaming industry. In this game you merge with the head and does not want, what would that story ended. So it is safe to put 10 out of 10.
  83. Oct 18, 2013
    This is just a beautiful piece of a video game art!
    Brilliant visuals!
    Great story line! Great action scenes! Very emotional ending!
    And one of the best main characters I've ever seen in video-games!
    Great performance by Ellen Paige, as always!
    David Caige, bravo and thank you for beautiful and very emotional adventure!!!
    I'm so excited about QD's nextgen project!
  84. Oct 14, 2013
    underestimate game ever! underestima underestimate game ever!te game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    Amazing story with amazing music in combination with fantastic graphics. Quantic Dream for one more time creates an epic title, who easily we can say that is "The Game of the Year".
  86. Oct 16, 2013
    Amazing experience,Awesome graphics, This game is fantastic! One of my favorite games this year. David Cage make a fantastic game, Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it.
  87. Oct 17, 2013
    I played this game with my wife And It was a Very Nice experience! She sucks at video Gámes but enjoys watching me while i am playing! This is the very first time we have played And actually enjoyed together a video game! It is a unique journey And one of a kind game! Dont miss It, It will be remenber as the baby steps not just of a new way to see Gámes but to see entertainment as a whole
  88. Oct 19, 2013
    Don't be fooled by some of the other reviews. Despite a few control/camera issues and occasionally bland backgrounds, this is a stunningly beautiful game. Much like The Last of Us, I consider this game to be Next Gen storytelling. I've given this game a 10/10 (and consciously ignored some minor faults) as it's one of the most amazing journeys I've had in the last 25 years of gaming. PlayDon't be fooled by some of the other reviews. Despite a few control/camera issues and occasionally bland backgrounds, this is a stunningly beautiful game. Much like The Last of Us, I consider this game to be Next Gen storytelling. I've given this game a 10/10 (and consciously ignored some minor faults) as it's one of the most amazing journeys I've had in the last 25 years of gaming. Play it through to the end. You won't be disappointed! P.S If you happen to have a nice surround sound set up in your home, you're in for a treat Amazing Expand
  89. Oct 9, 2013
    Its a Perfect Game,One of the Best of 2013!
    This is a true life game and everyone should get the lesson of this game that is:
    The game, which features psychological, spiritual, and thriller elements, is centered around questions about what happens after death.
    For the Haters there is a option in the beginning that u can choose "i rarely play video games"!
  90. Oct 9, 2013
    excellent game, with awesome graphics, the story take the attention of the gamer. the principal character shows a human appearance with conflicts that make feel to the gamer. dialogue is attractive.
  91. Oct 15, 2013
    I saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if somethingI saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if something could have been different succesfully completing an action...please. I wonder if the game has been made for an higher IQ tier than the average of the gamers here complaining is.

My only complaint goes to Aiden's movement which I find it could have been slightly improved, everything else is a true masterpiece and I'm gonna rate this game 10 out of 10 to help close the mouth to "closed mind" ones.

After a second playthrough I have to admit it completely, David Cage is a visionary genius and I invite every "professional" non "oiled" reviewer to take a look at this interview http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/04/david-cage-beyond-two-souls maybe this could clear their view on the "consequences" of actions and on the "why" people playing this game could feel to actually watch a movie while instead their are playing a game, is an interview in which Cage explains why every playthrough is a set piece of experience and why someone playing the game could experience something that other ones playing the very same game doesn't, the basis on which I can legit BS every "review" complaining about a game which is way too sophisticated to be understood at a first glance, this game can be played ten times without digging everything's inside, simply DO NOT LISTEN TO DETRACTORS AND LIVE THIS EXPERIENCE if you have an open mind and enough sensitivity, you won't regret it, just don't expect a classic FPS or TPS nor compare this game to more usual ones, here the skills are not everything and are put under test in a different way, hormone-driven teenagers, FPS lovers and basic minds should avoid it.

Thanks D. Cage, I must repeat myself, you are a visionary genius and this game have just only one BIG defect, sooner or later it comes to an end.
  92. Oct 9, 2013
    I have completed the game already. What can I say, it was an enjoyable adventure. The issue here is the QTE-control model which doesn't give neither freedom nor clarity ot simplicity. I truly believe they should have allow different actions more or less effective while pressing in the different directions of right stick. But the story worth it. My personal grade is 8+ for setting, story,I have completed the game already. What can I say, it was an enjoyable adventure. The issue here is the QTE-control model which doesn't give neither freedom nor clarity ot simplicity. I truly believe they should have allow different actions more or less effective while pressing in the different directions of right stick. But the story worth it. My personal grade is 8+ for setting, story, characters and the world of the game. Expand
  93. Oct 9, 2013
    Looking at reviews, I can honestly say I've never seen more divisive reception for a game. When it comes down to it, Beyond Two Souls is a game that you either lover or hate.
    Some have said that the story is crap, I disagree entirely. Now yes, I will concede that I wish it focused more on the dramatic bits and interpersonal relationships rather than the cinematic explosion moments, but overall I felt this was an incredible story, even though at parts it was told a little bit clunky.
    It sets wide open for a sequel, and I hope we get it.
  94. Oct 11, 2013
    Awesome story but if it was sorted right I would've understood more and it would be more touching, Best graphics I've seen on PS3 but the loading may sometimes take a while and my game froze at some points probably just for me who knows. Combat can be hard at first but you can get used to it nothing else I didn't like the game is pure awesome
  95. Oct 11, 2013
    Great game I love it. Awesome graphics for a PS3. That game was awesome. Everybody, who did any work on this game is a great person. I hope there will come more games from Quantic dream
  96. Oct 9, 2013
    Game is an absolute piece of art. And because of that it's not something that could have only one opinion about. It is a clear art, including true original vision of big amount of artists working in QD, it is a part of David Cage soul, and only because of that it can not be awful. As I see it almost every bad review is written by people who doesn't really love HR or Fahrenheit. They'veGame is an absolute piece of art. And because of that it's not something that could have only one opinion about. It is a clear art, including true original vision of big amount of artists working in QD, it is a part of David Cage soul, and only because of that it can not be awful. As I see it almost every bad review is written by people who doesn't really love HR or Fahrenheit. They've said that Heavy Rain is a bad movie and everything, now they're pretending that they've loved it. Well, Beyond is HR squared. It's bigger, it's smarter and it really is more emotional. Of course they are saying now, that it's a bad game. Maybe it's not 10 out of 10, I understand that. But for a game that been created by two-hundred-men-team for three years it really worth more than 5-6/10. Let's be honest: it's not a bad game, it just was too much of an anticipation for it. Expand
  97. Oct 9, 2013
    David Cage is the golden god of gaming. I have a shrine of him above my bed. His smiling face keeps me safe at night. Graphic hot.Story Hot. Ellen Page hot. Willem Dafoe Hot. every thing about this game is amazing. It will make you feel real emotions and find the meaning of life.
  98. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otroBeyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otro juego. Expand
  99. Oct 11, 2013
    With Beyond: Two Souls, Quantic Dream have taken away the rough edges of Heavy Rains interactivity and provided us with a beautiful story, world and performances from some of the film industry’s best actors. Offering a truly interactive cinematic experience.
  100. Oct 9, 2013
    Many people are going to hate on this due to it's lack of action. With that being set this is perhaps one of the few games I feel on the edge of my seat with. I feel strong emotional ties with Jodie as I watch her grow up. The graphics are great, but the only bone I have to pick is that during a few action scenes it is much too dark for me to see. However, it is realistic. Many peopleMany people are going to hate on this due to it's lack of action. With that being set this is perhaps one of the few games I feel on the edge of my seat with. I feel strong emotional ties with Jodie as I watch her grow up. The graphics are great, but the only bone I have to pick is that during a few action scenes it is much too dark for me to see. However, it is realistic. Many people won't like this game because of the lack of action but if you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game Expand

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.