• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is amazing. It has greatly improved controls since heavy rain and everything feels natural. It in my opinion, strikes the perfect balance between action and story telling and Jodie's relationship with other characters feels natural and tries to be a normal person despite her powers and has a love-hate relationship with Aiden whether she is in combat or trying to go on a date. Game of the Year for me. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    If you want intense and complicated gameplay or an incredibly original storyline, this game is probably not for you. But if you want to enjoy a nice, solid tale of the paranormal with all the classic (and well-loved) elements, you won’t be disappointed. The fact that the whole thing’s interactive is just a nice bonus.
    Plus: if your girlfriend never plays videogames, this is a great way to
    get her hooked Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    Great game and my last one for the PS3 before I get the PS4. First of all: I love Killzone, uncharted, The Last of us, InFamous, GT, Resistance, LBP etc... This game is different... in a good way! I payed it with my brother. He was Jodie and I played Aiden. We started and played nearly seven hours cause the story was so gripping and we couldn't stop. The storytelling is really fascinating and the gamer has to think and put together the chapters.
    After a made a decision I always thought what would have happened with an other decision (already playing it the second time)
    Ellen Pages acting performance is outstanding and contribute to the dramatic and emotions.
    The game is exactly what it wants to be. The focus isn't on the game-play it is on the Story, the animation and the emotions. We need more games like this cause this is a unique experience.
    Thanks Sony for supporting a game like this!
    Thanks Quantic Dream for making this game!
    Thanks Ellen Page for the convincingly acting!
    ...
    go on!
  4. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the reason I play playstation. I was blown away by this game. I highly enjoyed the story, graphics were incredible and the acting was some of the best i've seen in gaming. I rented this game and beat it in one sitting and now I am going to buy the game. I am extremely glad I got to experience this masterpiece.
  5. Oct 14, 2013
    Emotional, amazing. This is really a masterpiece. For me, this is one of the best games of the last decade! Thank you Quantic Dream! The ending of the game is simply amazing!!!
    From Russia with love!
  6. Oct 14, 2013
    Really stunning storyline and a great replay value experience. I don't know what reviews giving this game a low grade are looking for. If you liked Heavy Rain this game will overcome you expectations... If don't like HR you should give a try. The gameplay is not so confusing like the bad grades says, you just need to observe Jodie during the action. The action scenes are intense and the horror parts are great. DON'T MISS. Expand
  7. Oct 14, 2013
    underestimate game ever! underestima underestimate game ever!te game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever! underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!underestimate game ever!
  8. Oct 14, 2013
    Proof of a twisted media. While Call of Duty 10 will get rave reviews for its ingenuity of adding ten more maps and a "vault", this beautiful game gets slandered for not being interactive enough.

Time was, a game was compared to its kin; you don't assault CoD for a lack of narrative and having too few cut scenes. When a gamer wants to experience a story, they choose a title that does
    so.

While not without some minor flaws (I struggled with the camera on a few occasions), I found this tale to be a heartfelt one. Characters develop well, and there are some unforgettable moments. Don't pass this gem up; listen to the fans, not the bought out mainstream gaming media.
  9. Oct 14, 2013
    You can't fairly assess this game in comparison to others because it is incredibly unique. It's best to go into this game as if you have no idea what games usually are because if you do, then you will have an incredible rich experience. The game gives you a choice to chose whether you are a gamer with a lot of experience or not. I suggest that even if you do, chose that you don't play games much. I'm glad I did. I have had a blast so far in this game. The game play is so different and unique. If you love being totally immersed in story being a part of it completely, this is a great game for you. If you are not a storyline buff and would rather just stay in a pew pew mode, then you probably won't like this game. And if you don't it isn't fair to give it a bad review if it isn't the genre you are liking! Expand
  10. Oct 15, 2013
    Beyond: two souls should be played. if you enjoy nonlinear story telling this playstation exclusive should be right up your alley. this is another excellent game Quantic Dream has put out. you wont be disappointed in any way. play it!
  11. Oct 15, 2013
    This amazing game, I don't know why this game received many bad valuation, because I think this game is best game in this year. 10/10
    Thanks David Cage))
  12. Oct 15, 2013
    Absolutely enjoying this game, the graphics are amazing and the story really pulls me in. It is an interactive novel, but as a fan of Heavy Rain and Quantic Dream, I am all in. Plus, the subject matter does not hurt as I always find myself drawn to such things. Enjoy!
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    I think it is more of an interactive movie with really great graphic and story which i LOVED. It is so different and it really raised my standards of video games. A movie that YOU control.. so amazing
  14. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Das Spiel ist einfach klasse! Emotional und mitreißend! Dazu eine wunderbare PS3 Grafik wohl mit abstand das schönste PS3 Spiel. Die Spielzeit ist in ordnung habe ca 12-14 Stunden gebracht,
    Musikalisch klasse.

Bin sehr zufrieden und danke QD für dieses Meisterwerk.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    Being my first Quantic Dream Title and approach at QTE-like gameplay in general, I went at Beyond with little expectations considering the fact that my enormous anticipation might be crushed by simply not liking the actual minimalistic style of gameplay.
    What hit me in the end was an emotional train of awestruckness! At first I caught myself chuckling a bit at things like tilting the
    controller to the right for a dance scene and such, but as the game progressed I grew attached to the characters, their performances and overall meaning of it all (which is kinda important).
    People downrating this game have either expected some open-world-Action-RPG which is mildy naive considering the producing studio or were totally oblivious to any of the plenty pre-information available to this game, which makes me wonder why anyone would buy the game from the start anyway, just to complain about the high price...
    And there are the people who maybe just didn't understand the purpose David Cage wanted to portrait with this game. It rewards people who really want to immerse themselves in this world, and who can make a thought or two on their own, why certain things are possible and others not, instead of yelling "But I want to kill everyone on the screen because I'm an invincible ghost but I am not allowed to, so this game sucks! Also, I am too dumb to follow simple body movements so the controls suck, too!". There are so many small plot points you can unfortunately miss too easy which contribute to the bigger picture if you pay attention or won't rush through it mindlessly.
    Long story short: Not the most challenging gameplay wise, but totally rewarding, audiovisually (gosh I LOVE Hans Zimmer) anyway, but also entertainment wise if you give yourself a chance to do so.
    Definitely not a game for the everybody, but for me, one of the most entertaining experiences I had in almost 3 decades of gaming.
  16. Oct 16, 2013
    Fantastic graphics, better than The Last of Us, the story of the game is incredible, great job Quantic Dream, This is one of those games that really messes with you, sensational, better than heavy rain!

Most review sites who rated medium low this game, should review its concepts, this game has bugs? Yes, but the qualities are many that you forget the small errors.

Now when launch a
    Call of Duty (CoD every year is the same everyone will and give high notes... 'll understand... this is why I hate 80% of review sites!! :S Expand
  17. Oct 17, 2013
    There are many claims to the chronology of the game line. I don't agree with them. I think it is a good method,
    and right Authors idea to narrate this way. When The game is completely finished, everything is cleared. And in addition to the above, of course: unusual, interesting idea; no one way to final, and whole decision making process in the game; graphic for the ps3 is perfect. I
    pleased and satisfied of this game. Expand
  18. Oct 21, 2013
    + GOTY 2013 "Mulutmu" version
    + GOTY 2013 "Gundulmu" version
    + GOTY 2013 "Mukamu" version
  19. Oct 17, 2013
    This is amazing and beautiful game, before TLoA and GTA 5!
    Perfect graphics and of course unbelievable interesting story! The soundtrack is the best soundtracks in video games.
    Thanks you, QD for this game.
  20. Oct 19, 2013
    There are moments in a game with a weak story and characters being all stupid. However everyone who will skip this game will also miss some really magnificent things. I really loved the Navajo part. I enjoyed both endings. The game really deserves to be the one everyone have played.
  21. Oct 20, 2013
    Really a great experience. It basically has the same gameplay as Heavy Rain, so if you didn't like that, fair enough. I don't mind it though, and fact is both the story and the acting is LEAGUES better than it was in Heavy Rain, which is why I am rating this so high.
  22. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is awesome!!!!I I think it has a low score because this game went against CIA method!!!! Or Microsoft paid a lot of money to the reviewers. The user score is telling us that this game is awesome!!!
  23. Add
    Oct 21, 2013
    First off this game is not for everyone. You need to understand what your getting into before making a purchase. But for those who love video games and movies with great stories and something interesting to say you will be very impressed and immersed. This is an experience. A journey even. Amazing to say the least. If you want to feel something and are open to new things look no further.
  24. Oct 22, 2013
    Great atmosphere during the whole game, each episode feels very differently. Episodes of childhood are great, recalled my long-forgotten feelings and memories. Gameplay has finally delivered, and not infinite swotting X’s, as was in Heavy Rain (which I do not like). Staging and graphics are at highest level. Story grotesque fantasy, as in some lousy anime, but first of all this game about emotions and feelings that are passed to the player. In that case this game is just great. Expand
  25. Nov 19, 2013
    superb game, I must say unique idea and gameplay is great, I involved in game completely and feel every emotions of game. thanks David Cage for this great efforts
  26. Oct 27, 2013
    This was a fantastic game experience! I rank Beyond: Two Souls as my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind only The Last of Us, and easily in my personal top 20 games of all time. If you care about a good story and compelling characters and their interactions with one another, then you should love this game. However, if you're wanting a lot of depth to the gameplay itself, this may disappoint. The gameplay mechanics are very light and simple, while still being fun, but they don't have the depth and satisfaction that a game like The Last of Us or Uncharted or Splinter Cell, etc, have. If you know that going in and you're on board for the story, then enjoy.

Another real joy of the game is getting to determine what choices Jodie and Aiden make and seeing how those choices play out in the small vignettes you play through as well as the overall storyline. There are also multiple endings that will be determined by your final choices.
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    I'll borrow from the team at GameInformer for my quick review.

Concept: Enter the life of Jodie Holmes, a girl with a strange power, and follow her throughout the scrambled memories of her life and the increasingly bizarre events surrounding them.

Graphics: You'd be hard pressed to find better looking games on console. Only minor hiccups occur during facial animations, but those are
    few and far between gorgeously acted out scenes which include a nice variety of scenery to boot.

Sound: The entire cast does an amazing job, but it's Ellen Page who is really the star of the show, giving one of the best performances games have seen this generation.

Playability: This is the game's major flaw. As an interactive novel/movie, it gets the job done. It's when the game tries to incorporate action elements it begins to struggle. The poorly implemented stealth sequences and difficult to read quicktime events that hinder what is otherwise functional gameplay.

Entertainment: Quantic Dream games have been somewhat of a niche genre. If their games have scratched your itch for fun in the past, Beyond certainly delivers. While the story is occasionally convoluted and bizarre at times, it should keep you hungry for more.
  28. Nov 10, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls A great story which varies with your choice. Lovely characters Graphics close to the real life. Musics by Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean With Heavy Rain & Beyond, Quantic Dream leaves its mark on video games & opens up new perspectives. You must play this game
  29. Nov 13, 2013
    Possibly the most incredible and believable graphics to hit the aging PS3 console, Beyond: Two Souls offers a heart-touching, immersive experience to the players who are willing to play a game that thinks out-of-the-box in it's storytelling, something that rarely ever happens in it's genre.

The graphics cannot be empathized enough, the realism and believe value, running on the PS3 is
    amazing. You choose how Jodie goes through her extraordinary life in order to meet her conclusion. And aside from the rather unfitting ending (the part after choosing your ultimate decision), the game would have been a total of 10/10 for delivering a truly revolutionizing and amazing storytelling experience that is completely believable on the PS3, something that most other games have struggled to do. Expand
  30. Nov 19, 2013
    The best game 2013. Awsome story and gameplay. Hope there coming more games like that. This is an immersive storytelling masterpiece. This is a game i ever wished how computergames should be.
  31. Dec 9, 2013
    This game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. Clocking in at about. 9 hours (exploring areas fully) this was one of the few great stories that once I started playing I couldn't put the controller down. The walking dead and the last of us are probably the only two games that come even close in terms of emotional story telling. It should also be noticed that the voice acting, music, and sound effects are top notch.
    The controls, story pacing, and limited effects of choices are some valid concerns but really shouldn't dissuade you from playing. If you played walking dead the controls are similar but way less buggy in Beyond.
    Personal highlights from the game are the emotional story, some unexpected and spooky scenes, interesting and thoughtful gameplay using Aiden, and some amazing graphics. So glad I gave this game a chance as it's right up there with bioshock and the last of us for game of the year.
  32. Dec 15, 2013
    Beyond is not just a game, it is a totally different and commendable interactive and emotive experience. Sometimes too ambitious for its own good, but I loved it and I hope Quantic Dream continues surprising us with their quality.
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    A work of art, I've never been so involved in a plot since... Ever! Graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, character's expressions are just perfect, objects and stuff are OK, but I haven't seen any game do it better. I just wish the storyline was as much as changeable according to your actions as it was on Heavy Rain. An absolute must play, remarkable experience.
  34. Dec 29, 2013
    Below is my personal point of view about Beyond: Two Souls game. Please, note that as a player I was quite sceptical about interactive-movie game genre, but Beyond: Two Souls changed my opinion on the matter completely. Now I believe that good interactive-movie is the best format of telling truly amazing stories.

The story.
    Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good
    interactive movie should be. Both genre of the story, and how exactly the story is told, make the game so very special. Personally, I'm not a fan of paranormal stories, but this game managed to show me such story in an unusual perspective and with very interesting ideas. The Infraworld and the Entities for example remind me the Fade and Spirits/Demons concepts from Dragon Age series, concepts that I find very interesting to think about and play with. Specific relanionship between Jodie and Aiden is also very interesting concept. And of course, what attracts me the most to the story the philosophical thinking about how different people are treating something/someone alien and each other. Thinking that is very important nowadays.

Ideas used in a game are very important, but they are not the only thing that shape the story. Representation of all these ideas is not less important. And that part of Beyond: Two Souls is just brilliant. The amazing actors' work and all the technologies that were used to move this work into game with awesome graphical engine, combined with beautiful music, great ideas and interesting scenario made the game masterpiece. I can't remember a book, movie, or game that seemed so important and so real for me. I played through the game twice already each time the same deep feelings and thoughts, each time I applauded in the end. Literally.

The gameplay.
    Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is mostly QTE, however I can't call this a disadvantage. Simply, because Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is very diverse and interesting. It uses the entire gamepad. Movement with left stick and looking with right stick reminds any modern third person game (but has much more diferent animations than any regular game). 8 different buttons can be used in three different ways (press, press-and-hold, press-rapidly), and in combinations with each other. Swipe-like interactions with right stick remind swipes common for mobile games very intuitive and handy. Even gyroscope and accelerometer are used. In addition to all of that, Beyond: Two Souls contains elements of different game genres stealth action, cover shooter, simulator, and quest. Finally, Jodie and Aiden gameplays are completely different. Basically, I can't recall any FPS, TPS, or RPG game that has such diverse gameplay possibilities, especially non-combat gameplay possibilities.
    Some people may say that Beyond: Two Souls has too small amout of gameplay, and I will disagree. The game has enough amount of gameplay. It's not too large, so I never got bored with doing the same thing over and over again. And it's not too small, so I get perfect level of immersion, and feel like I'm participating in the story's events, not just observing.
    Some people may also say that impossibility of protagonist's death is the game's disadvantage. But it is not, actually. It fits this particular story very well. And there are other good story-driven games that prove I'm right, for example Planescape: Torment and Darksiders-2. Beyond: Two Souls story depends on player's actions, but not in the way if you will die or not during the gameplay, but in the way of changing turn of events in the story's key moments.
    What I liked the most in Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is melee combat. I found it very dynamic, exciting, and sometimes very challenging. It was really exciting to see fully motion captured diverse melee and run scenarios with a lot of key-points for intuitive interactions, which are not always easy to perform. This kind of melee combat requires attention and concentration, it looks and feels really great and realistic, and honestly, I would prefer such melee gameplay over any other variants of melee regular games can offer nowadays.
    One more thing worth mentioning is dialogue system. What I like about it is that unlike other dialogue systems, it's quite challenging. You can't trigger dialogue scene, then go drink some coffee, talk to your fiends for a while, make a couple of calls, and then return to the game just to see the dialogue scene as you left it 20 minutes ago. Dialogue options are fading in matter of seconds. Sometimes they are blinking and flouncing in accordance to your character's condition when Jodie is tired or angry for example, and it quite hard to say something right in such a condition, just like in real life.

The conclusion.
    Playing Beyond: Two Souls is really amazing game experience.
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  36. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  37. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys
    games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  39. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  40. WEL
    Oct 12, 2013
    I thought the story-telling was very clever and interesting because by making it like this it was near impossible to predict. It was very easy to mix the drama with the action without it feeling forced like in 90% of video games where the need for the repetitive gameplay is constantly getting in the way. It was like a puzzle that kept you wondering "what is going on?" but that by the end everything would fall into place.

But of-course I knew people would hate it though since many don't seem to be able to let go of the traditional and see things with a more open mind. To me the game was fantastic. More like an art that people don't want to appreciate because of their pre-conceptions of what a video game should be. But at the end this game is not about gameplay or skill but about an experience that can't be replicated by a movie or book even with its many cliches and awkward writing.
  41. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  42. Oct 19, 2013
    First of all, if you're just a gamer that wants to blast people's heads off than this may not be your type of game.
    But with amazing graphics, a very good story line and a really good cast of actors this games grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go of you till the end credits. This game made me play for 8 hours straight with a little break in between, but that's really rare for
    games these days.

People say the game is short, but it's not shorter than any other single player story of any other game.

To everyone who's looking for a nice game to play with a very good story, I recommend this game.
  43. Oct 18, 2013
    Video games as art? This is stunning and definitive proof.

This game moved me. I've never experienced anything on PC or consoles that evoked the spectrum of emotions 'Beyond' did. Nothing even comes close. The AAA graphics, the story, Ellen Page's brilliant acting, the musical score and the story were all put together in a way that no other game has ever managed, nor likely even
    attempted.

Having experienced (and enjoyed) Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain from 2010, I knew what to expect from 'Beyond' in terms of gameplay. I knew it wasn't going to be a frenetic button masher or an adventure game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Heavy Rain was, when you get down to it, merely a medium for interactive story-telling, and it did this pretty well. 'Beyond' follows along these lines, but does it far, far better.

Before even thinking about purchasing 'Beyond: Two Souls', you really need to know what it is and what it isn't, and you need to know what you're looking for from it. This is not a game you'll be 'challenged' by in the typical sense, where you're presented with entertaining obstacles and your enjoyment is derived largely by overcoming them. It never set out to do that or promised this sort of experience. Instead, 'Beyond' offers to fully immerse you in a story and its main character like no other game or movie before it could ever hope to accomplish.
  44. Oct 14, 2013
    I almost didn't buy this game because of the mixed reviews- but did it based on Heavy Rain, which also was received in a similar fashion. I'm glad I did. This is not a perfect game by any means and probably many COD fans (for instance) will hate it. But it's extremely unique, and the production values are stellar. The story was surprising for me, and once I got used to the fragmented way it was told, I thought it was strong.

The characters are very likeable- which is a huge plus to me- and as everyone has said, performances are top notch.

Some will not like this because it isn't a conventional video game- but then I have never had any interest in GTA or COD, so I suppose one video game type doesn't suit us all. We're pretty lucky to live in a world where Beyond can get made. I hope they're rewarded for taking a chance.
  45. Oct 30, 2013
    Wow, what a game! I wasn't expecting anything special since GamesMaster only gave it 60% but now I'm so glad I did give it a go. For anyone that has played Heavy Rain, this game is set out like that, for those of you that haven't, there are a lot of quick time events that take place, meaning you have to think fast! Another thing that makes this similar to Heavy Rain is the fact that every decision you make during game effects the outcome, overall there are about 23 endings for this game (so I have read online) and I've only seen one so far, meaning I'll probably have to play the game again a few more times to see a small number of them.

The storyline itself can be quite confusing to start off with, I didn't really understand what was going on until about 3/4 of the way in which I suppose is a good thing as it makes you want to play through the game to understand what it's all about. It's quite a short game as it only consists of about 26 chapters (a lot less than the 50 or so that Heavy Rain had to offer.) It only took me about a day or so to complete but nevertheless it's still one that's worth picking up. The graphics and voice acting from the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe make the game very enjoyable and entertaining. However, for those people that aren't into cutscenes and just like to get into the action, I don't think this game is your cup of tea but it's still worth playing anyway.
  46. Oct 14, 2013
    Excellent storytelling, awesome animations. Amazing how they motion captured so much feelings in just walking! Very nice facial animation, though some models seems a bit stiff and boring. Not the most surprising story, but gives good value still. Even if its not completely a linear narrative story, its fairly easy to link all the pieces of the story and kind of get the idea where the story heading. Maybe Ive just seen to much films?

What interested me the most with the game, was how they managed to go seamless between cinematics and gameplay. And even in gameplay it kind of felt like seeing a film. That was also a problem, since I ended with almost forget to press the controller when it was time for me to take control.

Best cinematic game I played so far. Thought that may also be the only problem with it too; that the little gameplay feels a bit boring. Though the gameplay feels more natural after a while, it never really feels it suits the game.

Have only played through once, so looking forward to see more of the alternative story elements.

May not be everyones cup of tea, but its a star in this type of game/interactive movie. If you hate it, you are probably not used to think a bit outside your normal comfort zone. If you love it you are more interesting in seeing a film/playing a film then playing a game... Good that not all games are made for everyone!
  47. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  48. Oct 15, 2013
    Play the game before you read anything. It is beautiful. This has to be 150 characters so I am just going to add stuff here but seriously, dont read anything to spoil this beautiful story about life.
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game I'm shocked by some of the review scores. I honestly feel like it was penalised for not fitting the CoD mold.

If you have played any of Quantic Dream's games you'll know you'll love this if you haven't, it's not a shooter and it's not a standard adventure game. There is plenty of gameplay though and an amazing story that's incredibly well presented.

My one
    warning would be that if you cannot stand QTE's (though I thought they were well done in this) there are a lot. Expand
  50. Oct 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics, Remarkable storyline, Great narrating, Stunning music, Amazing voice acting and an absurd gameplay! It's hard for some gamers to love it, yes, but it's also hard for everyone to hate this master piece!
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is not for everyone but for some who wants a rich story with great conflicted characters then this is your game. It's not a heavy action game with the gameplay being restricted throughout the gameplay. The Playstation 3 literally shows what it can do on its end to the Playstation 4 coming in a couple months.

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden,
    Choices
    Cons: Controls, Restricted game-play

Conclusion: Game-play is a little troubling to get through but the whole experience so rich and so great that people who skip the game would miss something so different than most games society has played.
  52. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  53. Oct 19, 2013
    I don't typically review games, but I felt the need to do so for Beyond: Two Souls.
    The game was absolutely fantastic. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, and others that pride themselves on the element of player-choice, I was blown away by the options presented within this game. The choices flow organically, and often times, the player isn't even aware that another choice could have
    been made.
    After having sat three people down to play a segment of the game, I've watched the same scenario play out three different ways.
    The story itself was also absolutely fantastic, and very compelling. Beyond: Two Souls might be the most 'human' game I've ever played. The story, and events within it, have this awesome way of beginning as this nice, innocent scenario, and spiraling into something dark and catastrophic.
    The only negative aspect, and this can vary from person to person, as it didn't bother me, or those I've spoken to about it, is the gameplay, or rather lack thereof. I personally wouldn't even consider this point topical, though, given the commercial success of games such as The Walking Dead, or Heavy Rain before it.
    If you enjoy stories, of any sort, then you owe it to yourself to try this game out.
    Excellent writing, beautiful graphics, amazing set-pieces, and a very emotional, compelling narrative.
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  55. Oct 14, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

It transcends both video games and movies to become something greater than either medium would ever be by themselves. I'm an avid gamer (I have 400+ Steam games, 400+ iOS games, and 100+ console games). Yet--to speak for myself--*I* found this game far more moving, thought-provoking, meaningful, and entertaining than many
    other games (including Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Grand Theft Auto 4-5, The Last of Us, and others).

I can only compare it to Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, or the Metal Gear Solid series: deep rich stories that have themes and messages that convey something of lasting meaning; something beyond the mindless (but fun) shooting and platforming of other titles.

I will remember this game for years to come. There are few works of fiction of any medium for which I can say the same.

If you like a rich deep story line and don't care about a lack of "agency" (it's always illusory in video games, anyway--there are always incredibly restrictive rules on game play), then this is *the* game of the seventh generation. The comparably minor errors in execution and direction can be ignored, when viewed in light of the whole.

Indeed, the question of whether this qualifies as a game is, like Dear Ester, a largely irrelevant and pedantic: It entertains. It provokes thought. It is emotionally moving. And it illustrates that games--like cinema or literature--can be taken seriously as a medium to both entertain and enlighten.

It seems to me that most reviewers of this game have profoundly and tragically missed the point.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that most people who dislike Beyond do so because they cannot (or will not) accept the game on its own terms: They have certain expectations of video games, and deviation from well-established norms vexes them. So, for instance, they demand interactivity, even when accepting passivity allows a far more compelling and moving narrative.

In contrast, other people are more flexible (with regards to their expectations of the medium). For instance, the "passivity" of playing Beyond did not bother me in the slightest. I knew what I was getting into, and I knew it was worth the tradeoff: there has been only one other title in forty years of gaming history that provides an experience comparable to Beyond: Two Souls, and it was released three years ago (Heavy Rain).

I believe that many reviewers, given their larger than average exposure to the medium are even less tolerant that other players of certain deviations from gameplay norms. This, I think, explains the large divergence of opinions on metacritic, and the (to me) inconceivably low average the game currently has (a mere 73 for the professionals, and 78 for gamers).

Like the criticism that the game strips the player of freedom/agency, I do not think the others have merit:

I consider the script to be impeccable. I have noticed no plot holes, and very few problems with the dialogue. It is telling that David Cage took a year of 12-14-hour days to write it and that it is 2000 pages in length.

I consider Page's acting to be truly and deeply awe-inspiring. I cannot praise her highly enough. She memorized 30-40 pages of dialogue each day. She had very little time to prepare and rehearse. She often had to juggle different emotional responses to the situations (e.g., playing the part one way in a scene and playing it another way in the same scene). Yet, despite these challenges, her acting is consistently of the highest professional quality. I have noticed no flaws in her performance; it is (along with William Dafoe's performance) very much in keeping with her Academy Award for Best Actress. I consider her to be the most talented actress I've seen.

I also think that the myriad ad hominem attacks against David Cage seem entirely unwarranted. He does not try to impose his views on others. Rather, he is merely passionate, has a vision he believes in, and is outspoken in his beliefs. He believes that gaming can, like cinema or literature, change the world (or try to). This is not arrogant; it is noble.

Moreover, the game has other strengths that seem to be overlooked by many:

- The social commentary is entirely warranted, and appropriately biting.
    - The graphical quality of the game is the best of any on a console.
    - The story is incredibly moving and thought-provoking. The narrative was very easy for me to follow, despite the non-chronological presentation.
    - There is a wide range of different locales and gameplay dynamics employed.

To put it succinctly (and a little melodramatically):

For me, the game is both a reminder and illustration of the many challenges and the triumphs, the sadnesses and joys that life has to offer. For me, it's life affirming, and I consider it deep, rich and meaningful. There are almost no other games (and few movies and books, for that matter) for which I can say the same.

Take a chance: play this game.
  56. Nov 9, 2013
    I rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiots because they don't get it. That's sad to me. This game is gorgeous, and so awesome. My other favorite game this year is The Last of Us. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good too. Expand
  57. Oct 15, 2013
    I had my doubts about David Cages new epic. I really enjoyed Heavy rain and didn't take any notice of the moaners who kept on going on about it's only quick time blah blah blah. What was wrong with that game however was the acting which let it down badly in some scenes, not all by any means but some.
    I felt that maybe he hadn't learned his lesson and I had grave doubts about using
    Hollywood actors as they are actually different and most of the best voice actors or indeed motion capture actors are not really successful big name Hollywood actors. That may just me being conditioned to think that without any real evidence but that what I feared for this game, being a little too cheesy like Heavy rain was at times. I was wrong on so many accounts. Ellen Page is brilliant as the lead and the motion capture tech has evolved enough by companies like Cages that it genuinely captures the actors true talent that comes through loud and clear. Maybe this is the way forward now, to get actors who are at the top of their game, no pun intended, to play in more video games as Ellen takes this on to new heights imho.
    You may have read that the supporting cast aren't that good by some critics, well that's just not true. All the performances were good to excellent imho.
    A slight spoiler here but if you play as the spirit sometimes you'll see dead people in unexpected places. Very creepy and it works well. On this point this game really does send shivers up your from time to time, something that a Hollywood film has been unable to do to me for literally years!
    Another criticism of the game is the 'broken up narrative style' Many saying it confuses them somehow.
    I disagree again as this is not a film it is first and foremost a game and doing it this way lets you get straight into the action without the boring buildup in heavy rain before you get to the real action and good stuff. This too me work very well indeed and you don't lose the story it's just told in a more exciting way that works particularly well for the media it's made for.
    There is a real kicker at the end that I didn't see coming and though it's not an ending that is in say, bioshock infinite's' class that is hardly surprising as this is a game that gives you many endings and even though Cage is imho a bit of a genius he or say Ken Levine would find it impossible to come up with 20 odd equally amazing endings, but, as I have said there is a really good kick at the end and that's impressive enough.
    Cage likes to call his games interative experiences and to this end it should be judged as such and whether you personally like this style of gameplay or not it shouldn't stop you at least trying to understand what quantic Dream are trying to achieve with their excellent products.
    Is it game of the year? Well maybe not the game of the year as this has been a particularly good year for games such as The last of Us, GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite all of which deserve their illustrious reputations but so does beyond two souls and I would put it right up there with the best of the best.
    Buy it! it's a keeper
  58. Nov 11, 2013
    It's an awesome game, with great graphics, and amazing mo-capping, but I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no real longevity to the game, once you've completed it; Just alternate cut-scenes.
  59. Oct 12, 2013
    A game made for a more refined audience, Beyond Two Souls is an masterpiece of interactive storytelling, who's only failing is the fact that it's being played and reviewed by brainwashed, inexperienced, young "gamers" just looking for the next mindless action game. For the rest of us, who are members of the core gaming world for over 20 years now, this is one of the few games which proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that games are an art form.
  60. Oct 12, 2013
    +Beautiful graphics/audio +Amazing story and storytelling +Great and lovable main character -Controls are somewhat unresponsive good thing you don't actually play much :P) -I had some machine lag that never happened before -Continuity between scenes are bad (facial expressions changing in a weird way, characters warping around) -Some minor graphical bugs -Your decisions does not have a impact as they did in heavy rain

It might look unfair to give this game a 9 based on these pros and cons, but honestly the experince was incredible. I enjoyed every second of it.(except 2 minutes while I was restarting my PS3 because the game crashed). I would give this game a 10 if I haven't played the Last of Us and seen how amazing acting voicing and storytelling was.
    If you don't like story driven, interactive movie type games, you should stay away from it. Gameplay is not good at all. But if you do, you will have an amazing experience.
    Thank you quantic dream for this game.
  61. Oct 22, 2013
    So, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, others will hate it.

As for myself, I very much enjoyed the experience. The story kept me playing for hours at a time, the graphics were stunning, and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe's acting was great.

A few minor complains may be the buttclench-inducing clichés that happen a few times throughout the story. With everything else, I couldn't be happier. I haven't played Heavy Rain or any other of Cage's games so I can't really compare them.

Overall it was definitely worth my time and money, and if you're looking for something very interesting, definitely pick this up, it certainly isn't the worst purchase you can make!
  62. Oct 11, 2013
    there is one specific thing about David Cage's Game ...You Love it ...Or You Hate it! At first 30 min of game!
    Look at scores GS got 9 and Edge Got 5 that means this Game Create Contact with its Specific kind of Gamers ...
    I really really liked this game because i'm searching for game which has Great Store...
    and i Found Beyond :two Souls.
  63. Oct 26, 2013
    Love this game, best single player game I have ever experienced, finished the whole thing in one sitting, well into the early hours of the morning, that's how hooked and immersed I was by this emotional journey!

Though slightly confusing at first due to it's non linear nature, it picks up really quickly and the resolution ties everything together beautifully. I completely agree with the
    uncompromising way in which the story is delivered, it would not be as impactful otherwise. You get to be there with Jodie for all the highlights of 15 eventful and tragic years of her life and become very attached to the character.

The tech is cutting edge and easily the best looking game on the PS3, the animation fidelity and motion capture stick out particularly, you forget you're playing a video game. The attention to small details is unmatched. I don't usually rate games with a 10 but this takes the cake for me, can't wait to see what Quantic Dream come up with next!
  64. Nov 21, 2013
    First: you need to be the type of persons who enjoys story telling games like this.
    Beyond: Two Souls has an awesome story that totally caught me and it comes with incredible graphics and acting.
    The only negative thing about the game is the difficulty, which really is not challenging for any experienced gamer. Still, I never felt like "watching a movie" but always like I was actively
    making decisions and playing a video game. Expand
  65. Oct 14, 2013
    More of an interactive movie than a traditional game (not so surprising from Quantic Dream), but it is a very great one for that. Great characters, great acting, decent script (i was a bit confused on timeline sometimes). And a great way to really get into character instead of watching cutscenes between two fight/shooting sequence.
  66. Oct 28, 2013
    I really liked the game. Sure, it is not a "normal" game but i like the ide to watch a movie and that i am deciding the story. If you liked Heavy rain this is a Game you have to play. There is maybe one or two scenes that i didn't thought the gameplay maked sence.
  67. Oct 13, 2013
    Alright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games like GTA, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, I think reviewers would have seen Beyond as a masterpiece, giving it scores similar to mine, all around. I suggest Beyond, to anyone who cares about storytelling, and don't need a game to be a classic game, following the rules of lodology. If you can enjoy titles like Gone Home, Heavy Rain and don't mind being an observer, of a brilliantly crafted world, with minor input, Beyond will give you, in return, the most touching story you will experience for a while, on par with the likes of The Last of Us and Gone Home. If you need your games to be a classic game though, I cannot recommend Beyond, instead I'd suggest you to just go play GTA: Online some more. Beyond does not deserve to win Game of the Year, but it deserves a mention, for it truly cracked my heart.

And something I cannot stress enough, is just how amazing Ellen Page, and William Dafoe performed in this. Ellen's tears makes you cry, and Dafoe's voice makes you shiver, an excellent performance by all the sub characters as well. The rest of the world also sounds amazing, the biggest exception being gunfire, which is a little on the disappointing side. Wind, cars, rain etc. sounds rather good though, so the audio in the game is great, but not nearly as great as The Last of Us, which had magnificent sounds and scores. Soundtrack is very fitting, but also a bit forgettable. Definitely one of the better soundtracks, but I would not go out and buy the soundtrack, and I don't think the soundtrack on it's own could bring me back to the emotions I felt in the game

The graphics in Beyond, does have a few misses here and there, but it is a really pretty game. Quantic made a wise decision changing the format ration, freeing the GPU of some pixel rendering, leaving the remaining are with more polygons and effects.

There are two chapters in the game, that left me disappointed, Navajo and The Mission. Navajo I believe should have been cut entirely, cause I felt it added nothing, except a few hours, and an extra choice. The Mission is very important to the story, but there is a bit where you meet a little kid, and I felt his whole story to be extremely odd. This kid, speaks a different language than you, but he understands when you tell him to stay close to you. I felt the whole relationship with this kid, was David Cage trying to punch emotion, for the sake of keeping the player intrigued, as the rest of the story was building. These are minor concerns though, in an otherwise brilliant story, that deserves much more praise than it has gotten. David Cage, you have my respect.
  68. Oct 11, 2013
    I the game perfect? no, is Heavy Rain better? probably, but to compare the too is like comparing apples with tomatoes, their both fruits and are both red but they are completely different things, if you own a ps3 then you'd be doing your self a disservice by not playing this game, dont listen to the reviews, especially ign's, considering those are the same guys that give cod 9s & 10s THIS IS NOT A MOVIE, IS THIS ANY LESS OF A GAME THAN CoD or ANGRY BIRDS or TELLTALE'S THE WALKING DEAD. Expand
  69. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a game that everyone Will like,for example a gamer that loves COD and is loking for constant action maybe Will be disapointed,a gamer that prefers story rater that gameplay is going to love the game Expand
  70. Oct 12, 2013
    Heavily underrated. This is not a game...this is an experience, and one you don't want to miss out on. I was hooked the moment I started playing the demo. You can feel the hard work and passion that the creators of Beyond placed into this game. Don't let the mass of negative reviews dissuade you from playing this, you will not regret it.
  71. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is maybe the most emotional game I've ever played in my life as a gamer (already 25 years). I finished it yesterday for the first time and cannot get the characters and events out of my head. It is very intense experience there were moments I wanted to reach out to Jodie, give her hug and say "It's going to be okay!"
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain
    (also from Quantic Dream, 2010). I still remember that discomforting feeling moving Ethan into broken bits of glass.

One circumstance is keeping me away from giving it a 10: the lack of choice in some events and places.
    But overall, Beyond: Two Souls takes epic gaming to the next level. Games like this and Heavy Rain keeps me believing that games are improving continuously leading the player into new adventures.

Let me say something about Ellen Page there are very few words which are able to describe her breath taking performance and passion adequately. I want to personally thank her for giving this project a shot.

So everybody out there who is into story and gaming should play this videogame! Because it's not about discussion interactive movies vs. videogames it's all about the fun!
  72. Oct 13, 2013
    Excellent game, which will understand everyone.
    "Beyond: two souls" is a game isn't game of year. This game will be not loved by all. It it isn't ideal, but "beyond: two souls" captured me more feasibly than "heavy rain", and didn't release up to the end. If such genre of games is pleasant to you, from "beyond: two souls" you will be delighted...
  73. Oct 13, 2013
    Awesome game,Not for everybody.
    If you like an excellent story, great graphics and a superb music go for it.
    It combines action,horror,comedy,drama all tangled in a cinematic experience.
    This is the closest a video-game and a movie have ever been.
    Not recommended for those who are shooter's fans neither for classic Rpg's players who don't like trying new and very experimental things.

I"m not giving it a perfect score only for the lack of challenge.
  74. Oct 13, 2013
    This game's story offered one of the most fufilling experiences I've had in years. Ellen Page really makes you fall in love with Jodie Holmes with incredible sincerity. Amazing how much respect I've gained for her with her performance in a video game of all things.

I've finished this game twice, and the 2nd ending I got nearly moved me to tears. THEY'RE ARE OVER 20 ENDINGS I'M TOLD!
    With Kadeem Hardison and Williem Dafoe playing supporting roles, it's very well acted out material. Solid performances all around.

No, Beyond is not a deep gameplay experience: it's light on skill, little exploration, and you don't grow stronger or anything. There's a small learning curve with pointing the right stick in the direction of the area of attack during fights (esp if you're like me and played without the arrow). Truthfully though, I've got plenty of video games I can turn to to fill that deep gameplay experience void..plenty. Who cares if Quantic Dream's games take a more cinematic approach? Just about everyone else is still making video games in the "traditional sense". I have a diverse collection of games, and Beyond adds to that even more.

The Playstation 3 has several exclusive gems available. Beyond Two Souls is definitely one of those gems for the system. Graphically, it might arguably be the best the PS3 has ever offered. When you take the time to invest into the main character, and immerse yourself into her struggles with life and her reality, Beyond Two Souls is one awesome tale that can give you quite an emotional connection with an amazing protagonist.
  75. Oct 13, 2013
    Really good game. Excellent graphics, story, best of all, unique! The emotion of the game really came through. Please keep games like this coming! Not everyone is looking for a cookie cutter 10th version of the same game re-released every six months. My recommendation is that any game with a number after the title should never score more than 7. Don't reward repetition!!!!
  76. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is wonderful. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on PS3. The motion capture is as close to realistic movement as possible and the acting (especially Ellen Page and Willem Defoe) is incredible. I would go as far as to say Ellen Page as Jodie is the best performance in a game.

The controls are maybe a little basic. I would say Beyond plays more like an interactive novel or
    serial drama (like The Walking Dead video game from last year) then like a traditional game. Some people find this annoying and I could see why. I think Beyond's story manages to be engrossing and emotional. Ranging from quiet interactions to big action set pieces. The game is about 10 hours long. It might not be worth the full price to some but it is surely worth a rental. Everyone that owns a PS3 should experience this game. Expand
  77. Oct 13, 2013
    Very touching game with astonishing graphics. It takes some time in the beginning to be involved into the plot, but then it's very hard to stop playing until the final credits. Along with the Last of Us and GTA 5 it is the best game of the year so far, still waiting for the Watch Dogs.
  78. Oct 14, 2013
    Guys let's be fair to the game. Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter. The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear. What I do give it, is that the game can go in sooo many directions based on your performance and choices. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The idea of a high end graphic novel is amazing. I love it. The story is 100, it has mystery, depth, suspense, death, emotion, etc.
    This is a greatttt game. If you guys wanna talk about lack of action and character controller go review ACTION games. If you think this is so linear, let's peak over to Call of Duty. Tell me the different ways you can end the game. Please.
    All in all, great game, needs to be treated in its own category.
    My only complaint would be the slowness in which she hops over fences and goes through cracks or windows. It seems petty I know, but they aimed for a realistic graphic novel with playable aspects, in reality it doesn't take 45 seconds to go through a window.
    Great game! Love it! Watching/playing right now and I'm not even done, I'm hooked. MORE OF THIS GENRE PLEASE!!!!
  79. Oct 14, 2013
    It seems to me an essential game for gamers of heart, reminds me a lot to Heavy Rain, which is a good thing since that game i thought it was great and very innovative. I hope that some day you play because you will have a very pleasant experience and very beautiful. Good work for Quantic Dream.
  80. Oct 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect for story lovers and good graphics its must buy for any gamer who like David cage games just like heavy rain you ether like it too much or hate it for me it is the best game this year and the best thing in it the story and the acting
  81. Oct 14, 2013
    I liked this game, the graphics were off the charts and the gameplay was fun and cinematic. Although Aiden is very simple to play as, it still is very fun to take over people seing the results.
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from the big set peices to all the locations and little activities from begging for money to cooking to controlling Aiden make this a Game of the Year candidate for me Expand
  83. Oct 15, 2013
    Beyond: two souls... there are no words to describe this AMAZING game. I just love how you can play Aiden and Jodie, I also think that the story and relationships are one of the main epic features of this game. Quantic Dream have really made themselves look good with this game, however there are a few glitches and sometimes the timeline can confuse you but that is only the bad points of this game. But overall this game is AMAZING! like I said Expand
  84. Oct 15, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is not a masterpiece. It is not a perfectly polished experience, it has rough edges, errors in logic, inconsistency. All this said, and yet, David Cage and Quantic Dream have made something they should really be proud of. "Beyond" is a game that will captivate you, a game you won't be able to put down till it's over. It's well written, has amazing graphics, and the performances by Ellen Page and Willam Dafoe are fantastic. Due to it's non-linear narrative structure the game can feel disjointed at times, but it isn't enough to take away from the joy of playing this game. Though not grounded by realism like Heavy Rain, it still tells a very emotional story that you can really connect to. This sci-fi/fantasy drama is not the greatest game ever made, nor the greatest story ever told, but it is well worth a play thorough or two. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  85. Oct 18, 2013
    Don't think twice. Buy this game. If you seek thick emotional plot, you loved Heavy Rain gameplay, and want something different from the generic war games out in the market, this game is for you.

This will appeal to men and women alike. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the co-op option together.

I am also a fan of multiple endings. I like to know that my decisions will affect the
    storyline, and it definitely does. Expand
  86. Nov 4, 2013
    Not all games need to have identical gameplay. This is not a shooter. It is not even a third person adventure, not in the traditional sense. It is an interactive movie.
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    If you liked Heavy Rain, you'll like this. it is like that, only with better story, graphics, controls and acting.
    Truly one of a kind and of excellent
    quality. I love this game.
    But like heavy Rain, be warned going in it has extremely limited replayability and isn't too long by other game's standards. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it was 10 hours long.
    But even one time through is worth buying. Rent if you're poor, but buy if you can to support well made art.
  87. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Quantic dream mostra um pouco do que será na próxima geração com Beyond Two Souls. Uma trama muito bem elaborada e envolvente, com jogabilidade inovadora junto com gráficos maravilhosos resume bem o game. Superando seu antecessor espiritual, Heavy rain. Se comparado com Heavy rain, ta bem mais linear. Mas isso isso pode ser esquecido com o enredo fantástico, trilha sonora, jogabilidade melhor que a do seu antecessor e a ação muito bem aproveitada. Sem dúvidas Beyond Two souls uma obra prima feita pela Quantic dream que merece bastante atenção. Expand
  88. Oct 19, 2013
    Personally I love this game! Its re-playable if you want to change your actions to see what happens different and affects the story. Some chapters are a little short and has a few miner bugs, but other then that its great and the story is interesting and graphics are amazing!
  89. Oct 20, 2013
    An absolutely incredibly cinematic gaming experience. Beyond: Two Souls boasts a rare quality of storytelling and engaging characters that we don't see in a lot of games today. If you thought Heavy Rain was the future of Gaming then Beyond: Two Souls is what you've been waiting for. And, like less radical and more rational consumers, if you felt Heavy Rain married cinema and gaming in a crescendo of evocative storytelling then Beyond: Two Souls will show you a new light a brighter light. I loved this game. I'll play it again and again. Expand
  90. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a great game. Graphics were great, and the acting from Ellen page and Willem Dafoe was excellent. Great soundtrack as well. The music was well suited to the various moods of the story as it progressed. Well done Quantic Dream.
  91. Oct 23, 2013
    At first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of a mix of a game, a film and a book. The story depth of a book, the visual and acting quality and general presentation (camera angles etc) of film, and the interaction of a game. As long as you're not expecting a game solely based around your skill and control of the character, then you'll love this game! Expand
  92. Oct 23, 2013
    Es un juego que de principio a fin te mantiene en vilo de lo que puede suceder, una rica historia, graficos de por si espectaculares, lastima que todo tiene un final, pero sin duda este juego quedara en el corazon de muchos, da bronca ver como tiene tan poco puntaje en ciertos reviews.
  93. Oct 24, 2013
    sick of these retards saying that this isent a game, its a movie. what the did you expect??? its made by the same people who made heavy rain!!! this game is beautiful and enjoying! love the graphics, and story. like how you connect with the main character along the way
  94. Oct 24, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls muy buen juego, excelente!, es muy interesante y emotivo, incluso llegue a llorar en una parte del juego, es heavy en verdad, uno se adentra en la historia y quiere saber que pasará. Que sea como una película y que las decisiones que tomemos cambien el rumbo de la historia lo hace aun mas interesante.
    Un 10.
  95. Oct 26, 2013
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    The story for me was fantastic and I was happy to be along for the ride, completely immersed in Jodie's journey.
    That is probably the most devisive thing about the game though, if you can't let yourself get pulled into Jodie's world then I can imagine it may seem muddled due to the shuffled stories and appear hard
    to follow..I do recommend you approach this with an open mind however as once you forget this is a 'game' and treat it as an experience you will be rewarded with what for me has been the best I've had in a long time, the 'Homeless' chapter especially as I've never cared so much about characters in a story as quickly or as deeply as in this one, such brilliant writing and indeed acting as Ellen Page and the supporting cast put so much emotion into their portrayal of those characters.

I wholeheartedly recommend you forget any score you've seen on any review site (including mine and this one) and find out yourself, but its definatley worth a try for the ride alone.
  96. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this was not only the most powerful experience in gaming I have ever had, it was also one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had,period. I have rarely been so enveloped into anything before in my life, and the fact that it came from a game is testament to quantic dreams talent,as in heavy rain you are taking through a tense and developing world but in this the character growth is near perfect in regards to its realism, by the end of the game I was left feeling like I had just reached a key moment in my life that will stay with me forever, I look forward to quantic dreams' next foray into cinematic gaming.
    (the game lost out on the 10/10 due to the slow motion combat being very hard to judge)
  97. Oct 28, 2013
    super game &GFx
    mooieste game dat ooit op e ps3 is geweest net iets teveel bugs in de game maar voor de reste zooo cool
    voor mij persoonlijk de game of the yaer kijk er al naar uit om hun nieuwste spel om de nieuw console te kunnen spelen
  98. Oct 28, 2013
    Redtail2212

Beyond two souls is a story driven game that being said some action scene may to not be seen that well done but it makes up for it in the story. You fell for the main charter and the side characters it provide some of the best graphic seen on consoles. Some might argue that the game play was bad but the walking dead got game of the year and it was a point click game. Beyond
    two souls packs a epic experience for all players i just wish it was on PC. Expand
  99. Oct 28, 2013
    Everything about this game is just as good as I remember Heavy Rain. Being like heavy rain sparked my interest in it, in the first place. But this game was absolutely incredible and a must have for any heavy rain fans out there. If you loved Heavy Rain, you'll love Beyond! No doubt about it!
  100. Oct 29, 2013
    it is in the first 3 most intresting stories of 2013 for me, and that is presented by the the common quantic style with the fast action scenes, wich are still fantastic

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.