• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such aWe're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, aBeyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, a meaningless interlude there), manages to convince and hold the interest. This is partially due to the way in which the tension is ratcheted up during the final third. Oh yes, the climaxes in Beyond Two Souls are of the truly unforgettable style. It would, of course, be a gross disservice to not point out the excellent vocal performances of Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe; they really sell their characters with expertise. But the supporting cast, most notably the unsung souls that portray Cole and Ryan also do a fantastic job. The graphical output of the game is impressive but not in a "these are the best graphics I've ever seen on PS3!" sort of way. It looks great but there are certainly PS3 games that look better (The Last of Us, for example). The art design is terrific at times. There's obviously a deep seated love of Sci-Fi at the root of the title and you can catch little visual cues from the likes of Alien, The Abyss, The Thing and many more. Gameplay and control wise, Beyond Two Souls can be a bit hit-or-miss. Earlier sequences in the game (particularly the montage and stealth training sequence) can border on the awful. Likewise, the general way that Jodie controls like a tank in a confined space doesn't help immersion much. However, later QTE fights prove to be excellent and exciting and the one section where you properly implement your stealth training is surprisingly fun. Overall, I came away from Beyond Two Souls with my mouth agape, my eyes brimming with tears and my body eager for another playthrough. Well done Quantic Dream! Excellent stuff indeed. Expand
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  4. Mar 27, 2015
    Fun for the discounted price, Life Is Strange is better, so are Telltale games. Unique and interesting but I would not have been happy paying $60 for this. At fifteen dollars or less, it is worth it, however.
  5. Oct 14, 2013
    A beautiful cinematic game. It plays like a movie and is amazing at its delicate hands. If cinematic movies or very styled graphics get you playing, by 5 hours you'd have been finished
  6. Jan 6, 2014
    I give this game a solid 8 for two reasons: 1) QuanticDream's ambition and courage and 2) The game is good, period. But it is not for everyone. Basically, this is not a "game" as it is much more of a digital experience. Beyond 2 Souls is one HUGE Quick Time Event, where you control the decisions and deal with the repercussions of your acts. This is the tale of a girl who is connected to anI give this game a solid 8 for two reasons: 1) QuanticDream's ambition and courage and 2) The game is good, period. But it is not for everyone. Basically, this is not a "game" as it is much more of a digital experience. Beyond 2 Souls is one HUGE Quick Time Event, where you control the decisions and deal with the repercussions of your acts. This is the tale of a girl who is connected to an entity that gives her paranormal powers. And what a tale... from a small, frightened girl being tested to a fully trained CIA agent, this game tells an incredible story that mixes adrenaline, surprises and, occasionally, terror. One of 2013's best surprises, no question about it. It is not the best game, it won't be Game of the Year, but it is a beautiful effort, a product of love and should not be missed. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    What a fantastic adventure! I have loved Ellen Paige ever since I saw her in Juno and a game that lets me look at her for 10 hours straight is gonna be a good one in my book hahaha! Seriously, Beyond Two Souls is an enthralling adventure that will sink its teeth into you and not let go! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll experience some great action; but most of all you will leave theWhat a fantastic adventure! I have loved Ellen Paige ever since I saw her in Juno and a game that lets me look at her for 10 hours straight is gonna be a good one in my book hahaha! Seriously, Beyond Two Souls is an enthralling adventure that will sink its teeth into you and not let go! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll experience some great action; but most of all you will leave the experience with the burning question of " What could have done differently?" That to me is what makes a great game! A story that touches you, brings you in, makes you a part of it and sticks with you long after you have stopped playing! Expand
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at deliveringBeyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at delivering outstanding performances, some of my favorite characters where Jodie, Stan, Tuesday(Elisa), Ryan, Nathan, Walter, Jimmy, Cole, an obviously Aiden. Beyond: Two Souls has a really immersive world and was fun to get the platinum after four playthroughs. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2013
    People need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear storyPeople need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear story telling, its a great change of pace; heck this whole game was a breath of fresh air. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and I am starting to get tired of go here kill this in video games. Engaging story, improved gameplay mechanics from heavy rain, the facial animations are one of the best and graphics. The only reason this game isnt a 10, (I believe it could've very easily if it was more of a traditional game) has me drop the game by two scores. I loved the whole Aiden gameplay, and between this, heavy rain and telltale's twd; beyond two soul's is definately the best of interactive story telling game thus far I have ever played. Expand
  10. May 23, 2014
    lets start with the negatives and just get them out of the way. because this game was the follow up to heavy rain, we all expected that our choices would have a tremendous role in the story and the ending, unfortunately that is not the case, you do get to make decisions that have immediate effects at the moment, but does change the story at all, huge bummer and a real let down. secondlets start with the negatives and just get them out of the way. because this game was the follow up to heavy rain, we all expected that our choices would have a tremendous role in the story and the ending, unfortunately that is not the case, you do get to make decisions that have immediate effects at the moment, but does change the story at all, huge bummer and a real let down. second negative, some scenes are quite boring and could care less about. now here is everything great about the game, the story is pretty damn good, and very original. the voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard in a game before, and if you don't already know its because the main characters in the game are voiced by ellen page and Wilhelm Dafoe (don't know if I spelt that right) very talented actors. I said that some scenes are boring but the majority of the scenes are so amazing and a lot of them are surprisingly relatable. one thing I think this game did better than heavy rain at was capturing the emotion of the protagonist, now to be fair, heavy rain had four characters that the developers had to focus on while this time around they had one, so it should be expected. I can not say this game is amazing because of the amount of flaws present, but when the game gets it right, it is so emotional and gripping that is so memorable it will make you question your view of life, it is spectacular and makes up for so much more than what people are giving this game credit for. I don't think of this game as a disappointment at all, it is a totally different game than heavy rain, which I think where most of its negativity comes from. you cant compare the two games because they are in reality very different and unique from each other although the gameplay is the similar. and one more, the ending is amazing (in my opinion) despite that it cant really be changed, it is the most thought provoking scene I have ever seen, it kept me thinking for days to come. the ending truly shows how games now a days can actually be considered art Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    With Beyond: Two Souls, Quantic Dream have taken away the rough edges of Heavy Rains interactivity and provided us with a beautiful story, world and performances from some of the film industry’s best actors. Offering a truly interactive cinematic experience.
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    There is no other game like this one. It's a journey. It's a experience. Beyond two souls has one of the best graphics(especially faces are very detailed), amazing soundtrack(Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmer as composers) and excellent performance from Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. But where beyond two souls fails is it's story and for a story driven game that's not so good. The plot has it'sThere is no other game like this one. It's a journey. It's a experience. Beyond two souls has one of the best graphics(especially faces are very detailed), amazing soundtrack(Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmer as composers) and excellent performance from Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. But where beyond two souls fails is it's story and for a story driven game that's not so good. The plot has it's great moments but overall the story is unfocused and confusing. What's most irritating is that the plot leaves too many unanswered questions. Dialog could have been better also and your choices and actions don't have such a great effect on the story. After all this rant I have to say that Beyond two's story has it's moments. The game includes interesting themes like life after death. Well-developed characters with evolving personalities. Expand
  13. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell the story of Jodie Holmes and her connection to the omnipresent and omniscient entity Aiden through a sporadic tale covering most of her life and bridging several worlds, uncovering some surprisingly deep revelations along the way. A true story of finding yourself as much as finding quality and acceptance in others.

Graphics: Excellently rendered animations and character models, only pulled down in some instances by weaker parallels in still models within the environments. The cinematic work is unparalleled in my opinion, for the most part.

Sound: Between the haunting and minimalistic melodies and the star studded cast, it's truly hard to find fault with what is present for sound quality.

Playability: The quick time contextual sequences work out much more fluidly than in previous Quanitc Dream games utilizing similar sequences of control, however the action moments can often make players lost and disoriented- which, while somewhat intended, can still be quite annoying at times when wrestling with control and chaos.

Entertainment: Despite falling down in the story and gameplay department at times, the game comes together well and has its genuinely impressive and deeply thought-provoking moments of fear, bravery, trust, and sadness.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  14. Mar 1, 2014
    A successor to the... success of Heavy Rain, Beyond improved the wrong things and leaved the things that needed improvement, the same. That means that gameplaywise, your actions have little to no impact, there are probably less occasions where your actions matter and they passed the fail line when they decided that the game has no penalty for your mistakes. You can leave your controllerA successor to the... success of Heavy Rain, Beyond improved the wrong things and leaved the things that needed improvement, the same. That means that gameplaywise, your actions have little to no impact, there are probably less occasions where your actions matter and they passed the fail line when they decided that the game has no penalty for your mistakes. You can leave your controller down and the game progresses as it would. That's the definition of non-existant gameplay.

If you can overpass all of the above, the game is a marvel. The story is great, impactful and full of emotions, the atmosphere in every area is unbelievable and the visualisation of the artists is excellent. Trully excellent. The art director of this game should be really proud. One section reminded me of the 6th sense, the other Alien, another one is full of mystery and another made me feel like a little girl. Excellent stuff. The graphics have surpassed everything that out there right now. It's jawdropping. It's got the best character models, the best lighting, the best facial animations and character animations... unbelievable naturally moving trees and (not TressFX) hair, amazing skin textures.... This game is the best visual experience you can have on any video game right now. The sound is also excellent and the acting is stellar.

All in all, I enjoyed it as much as I did Heavy Rain, because it too has a lot of emotional sections that have a great impact on the player/viewer. Also, the stealth sections are a step to the right direction. Just give us some gameplay mr. Cage and you'll have your perfect scores.
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed.

The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well

The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end.

Its like a solid, well made interactive movie.
  16. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! SeeingThis is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! Seeing and accepting this for what it is and meant to be, it is a very compelling and interesting experience. I particularly love the fact that there's a two player mode, where one player plays as Jodie on one joypad or smart device, and the other player plays as Aiden, the spirit that accompanies her, on another joypad or smart device. Controlling Aiden seems too simplified when played on a smart device, but it is unquestionably nice to have the option and will appeal to casual games immensely. Only one player is in control at any one time, but it's nice to have to not hot swap the controller, and i only wish games like Xcom-Enemy Unknown had a similar controller assigning feature..

The graphics are superb and among the best of this gen, and although they are top notch for the most part, are not so in a few instances, the time in the desert for example. The game is a lot longer than i was expecting, as i feared it would be a short game, but am pleasantly surprised by the length. Special not must go to all the acting in the game, all superb!

As i said, a very compelling interactive story/movie, and one that i would highly recommend playing with your significant other, my girlfriend absolutely loves the game, i believe she said it was her favorite that she's played to date!
  17. Jun 9, 2014
    Beyond es un juego con gran trama y buenas ideas. La cosa parece que va a dar bastante más de si pero al final las decisiones son limitadas y sólo queda disfrutar de la brillante historia y el espectacular apartado gráfico. En cualquier caso mejora la excesiva rigidez de heavy rain pero le sigue faltando camino.
  18. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to.Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to. This has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played and one of the best games of 2013. Simply ignore the bad reviews those people don't know what a good game is about. Beyond two souls was a great expierence if u loved heavy rain then beyond two souls is for u. This is a must have game for every die hard gamer of a PS3. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buyingThis game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buying a game... You are getting an experience. Expand
  20. Oct 29, 2013
    this game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bitthis game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bit clunky. This, however, is one of the best gaming experiences of 2013, if this generation! Definitely a must buy, but what more would I expect from the makers of Heavy Rain? Expand
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    A daring epic. David Cage goes where no creative game director has ever dared to go. Beyond: Two Souls is a game unlike any other. A crowning masterpiece in storytelling, writing and performance. This is surely Ellen Page's greatest performance yet, an outstanding performance. Willem Dafoe also gives spectacular performance, giving it his best in every scene. Beyond: Two Souls is one hellA daring epic. David Cage goes where no creative game director has ever dared to go. Beyond: Two Souls is a game unlike any other. A crowning masterpiece in storytelling, writing and performance. This is surely Ellen Page's greatest performance yet, an outstanding performance. Willem Dafoe also gives spectacular performance, giving it his best in every scene. Beyond: Two Souls is one hell of a journey, crazy, emotional, unbelievable, unpredictable journey. And surprisingly, it ends as if there might be potential for a sequel??? Hmm. Imagine the possibilities of what could happen next. If you have a PS3, Beyond: Two Souls is an amazing game (that feels like it's even more than that) that should definitely not be missed. An incredible and, once again, daring, step forward for the evolution of storytelling in video games. Bravo, David Cage, bravo. Oh, and I think I've fallen in love with Ellen Page... I'm pretty sure David expected that to happen. Thanks for that. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    Beyond Two Souls was not so popular game, such as Heavy Rain, but still, it was quite better from some views than Heavy Rain, but not as better as it.
    The graphic is awesome, the best I could say for the late of 2013. The cinematics are great and the performance of the two Hollywood actors was cool. But nevertheless, the gameplay eclipsed those several better things than Heavy Rain; The story is nice, but this reversal of the chapters and the transformation of Jodie decepted a lot of players. However, this was not the worst thing, but the fact that whatever you do, you cannot die, as Aiden helps you all the time, and this made the game worse, not realistic. Quantic dream tried to make Beyond Two Souls a mixture between psychological, adventure and horror genre, but I guess the combat from this adventure of the game made it a bit hard to swallow.
    I have to praise the performance of Ellen Page; even they took a not-so-popular actress, she made her role so good.
    I can say that the game could be much better, certainly better than Heavy Rain, if David Cage would polish a bit the gameplay and the concept.
    Therefor, I give it an 8, rating it very good.
  23. Jun 30, 2014
    An amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything thanAn amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything than happened at the time.

The motion capture and acting is unbelievable, and only wish such technology could used used in such an effective way for a survival horror (Last Of Us is not that).

So to start with the good: the action is amazing, the slower parts are engrossing, and the element of choice is so strong, every decision is second guessed. I won't have time to play every type of decision and ending again, but like with Heavy Rain, I'll always intend to replay again in the future if I ever find the time.
    There is a lot of variety in this game, Some levels seem so different and unrelated to the main story arc, that it's easy to lose track of the direction of the main plot. Also the visual styles between different levels are so different that it feels like every type of terrain or weather has been exhausted within this game.
    The main characters are interesting, with emotional depth, and full of soul (pun intended), that only could've come from such amazing actors and motion capture artists.
    Obviously Cage is a director and writer unlike any other, and his games/art are worthy of all the praise they receive and more.
    The visuals and atmosphere of the game are incredible, and this is definitely a game that's hard to put down.
    The fluidity of the story upon making a game-changing decision is a triumph, and despite the slightly jarring nature of jumping between memories in time, every change feels like it has a big impact, and there's nothing that feels "this decision would've brought out the same outcome".

However I do need to raise the negative points. Aside from the briefly mentioned jarring nature of jumping around in time, my biggest issue with this game was controls. I'm a huge fan of the unique and interactive nature of the gesture controls that David Cage's games use, especially on the PS3. Heavy Rain had a brilliant tutorial introduction level, and I don't recall ever having issues understanding what needed to be pressed during a scene. Fahrenheit was also pretty simple to grasp the controls of. However I really found myself struggling at times with Beyond Two Souls. Most of the time, all that exists to indicate an interactive element is a dot, and while usually it stands out well, and is easy to trigger, I found anything that even resembled a white dot (reflection of light, a bump on an object, etc) caused me to waste time trying to interact with it. Also the dot element changed in functionality at random times. The single white dot usually just meant I needed to swing the right stick towards the dot to interact, but whenever I saw a blue dot, I found myself getting a little confused. A blue dot means you need to lock on with L1, which is fine, but then this produces 2 more dots. Sometimes you are expected to bring the two dots together, sometimes apart from each other, sometimes over different characters, sometimes together onto a certain point against resistance, and sometimes to push the dots together, away from the blue dot. Then even this differs, in some cases you must push the two white dots towards the blue dot and let go, sometimes away from the blue dot, and hold, and sometimes away from the blue dot, and fling back forward, and then I also found there were times I was expected to bring away from the blue dot together, but then let go, sort of like releasing a stretched elastic band.

While all these movements are achievable, and fine, the indication of which to do where is not clear, and a lot of time there is a time limit where if you don't choose the correct interaction, your game will change completely, with the story changing for the negative.
    I found myself redoing a certain desert-based missions multiple times simply because the game refused to accept what I was trying to do, only because it wasn't clear what my options were.
    I found this incredibly frustrating, and this is a regular type of interaction that becomes infuriating during the time-sensitive moments.

Also,there are times where the game will give you an option "say nothing, do nothing" which you physically have to choose, but then other times you simply have to do nothing and wait a minute for the choice to be made. This can really break gameplay as instead of being drawn into the emotion of the moment, you're trying to figure out what options you actually have available to you. If there was a little more consistency it'd have been appreciated. I understand it was to make the game not too repetitive, but it ended up just being a source of frustration.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and hope to replay.
  24. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  25. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices andBeyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices and it truly kills you to do so because each and every character is so relate-able and the dialogue is flawlessly written. This game has been truly robbed of the status is deserved by the critics, after playing it, what I'm reading is nothing but an absolute abomination.
    Amazing work Quantic Dream, ignore the bad reviews and keep making incredible games, your originality and spectacular attention to detail is beyond what most developers neglect to do successfully these days.
  26. Dec 22, 2013
    Three years after the release of the critically acclaimed Heavy Rain, David Cage has finally released his next project, Beyond: Two Souls. With the major amount of publicity its received, given that Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are the games main characters, the question surrounding this game is whether or not it can live up to the hype.

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is the graphics. Although the game wouldn't be considered beautiful with popping colors, the graphics themselves are beyond impressive in terms of detail. The character designs are amazing, capturing everything from the character's pores, to their hair, and even to the details of their clothes. The amount of detail and color in this game make it an absolute beauty to look at, and make it one of the most graphically impressive games of the current console generation, if not the best.

Another aspect of the game is the story. Unlike Cage's last game, Heavy Rain, the game features only one protagonist, Jodie Holmes, played by actress Ellen Page and the ghost tied to her, named Aiden. The game follows Jodie's story from age 9 all the way to 24. The game features multiple chapters which are more jumbled and mixed up than a Quinton Tarantino film. Luckily, the game has a time line as a loading screen, which shows you when each chapter happened, making the story surprisingly easy to follow. In the first couple of hours, the story wasn't as engrossing as I would have liked, and I wondered exactly how some of the chapters were significant. Luckily, as the chapters filled out, all the events became important in their own way, and it's actually better that the story is jumbled up because it helps make some events in the story later down the timeline more clear and easy to understand. If the story were to be viewed in order, it would have significantly weakened the experience.

One disappointment I've heard from fans is that the story isn't like Heavy Rain's style. In Heavy Rain's story, the game had an enormous amount of endings, which were all affected by the choices you made throughout the story. The multiple endings and in game choices encouraged multiple playthroughs if you wanted to get all of them. What made the game more exiting was the ability to kill off your characters, as well as the shocking twist near the end.

Then there's Beyond's story. The game does have multiple endings, but the choices in the game that affect what ending you get are made within the last thirty minutes of the game. There are certain actions you can make in the story that make some of the endings slightly different, but that's it. However, I personally loved the change up. The reason why is because Heavy Rain's story was a little short, given all the work that was put into the multiple story arcs, which I had no problem with. However, because the story in Beyond was a single story arc, the story had a lot more room for the drama and impact. In this case, Beyond delivers, ultimately making it emotional, intense, heartfelt, and humorous on a couple of occasions. Also, the story is longer than Heavy Rain, making more room for the drama. So, I personally don't mind the change, but I know others will, so whether or not the game's story is good depends on your preferences.

Next is the gameplay. The gameplay is similar to Heavy Rain, using the Face buttons to control speech choices during conversations and decisions, while using quick time events for the action. The quick time events in Beyond are actually based on moving the right analog stick in the correct direction. There aren't any on screen prompts, so you have to judge which way to move the stick, based on Jodie's momentum whenever the action slows. I've heard complaints that the direction isn't always clear, but I never had a problem with it. Plus, the slow down prompt always gives you enough time to adequately judge where to go.

One thing I was disappointed with was the balance of quick time events and cinematic gameplay. Heavy Rain had a nice balance, usually having a quick time event segment every hour or so, with cinematic gameplay filling out the in between sections. In Beyond, the game would sometimes go on for hours without any quick time events or action. Despite the great story, the gap sometimes left me impatient for more.

In this game, you don't control just Jodie, but the Aiden too. His gameplay mainly consists of messing with objects in the environment, as well as the ability to posses or kill people. As Aiden, you float around the area, and look for the next object to mess with (usually presented with a white dot), or look for the next person to kill or possess (usually presented with a red or orange silhouette). Aiden's controls are floaty at first, but get easier to handle over time.

Ultimately, the game was incredible. When I reached the end, I was impressed with both the story as well as the gameplay and in the end, I can say my expectations with this game were satisfied.
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it toI tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  28. Oct 11, 2013
    A game like GTA V gets relatively no articles nor low scores for its overrated story and violence which is more closer to reality then this game or any other. Yet Beyond Two Souls gets mentioned in an article for its violence and then reviewed poorly. Media is killing the real art as we know it. Yeah it doesn't have much gameplay as you would expect..it plays more like a shootingA game like GTA V gets relatively no articles nor low scores for its overrated story and violence which is more closer to reality then this game or any other. Yet Beyond Two Souls gets mentioned in an article for its violence and then reviewed poorly. Media is killing the real art as we know it. Yeah it doesn't have much gameplay as you would expect..it plays more like a shooting arcade/gallery game (think Virtual Cop or House of the dead), with bits of walking, but its the story and characters that matter most. There is interaction which classifies it as a game and I for one love it and highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates great storytelling and compelling characters. The highlights were the charming Ellen Page, acting veteran Willem Dafoe and of course Aiden especially. Beautiful graphics that make the PS3 still shine and wonderful moments of human perseverance. Expand
  29. Jun 21, 2014
    A misunderstood experience. I looks stunning, sounds stunning and plays, very, very well. It's not perfect and it is more of an interactive movie than a video game but it is still worth while. Beyond has a very intriguing story, it's well told and I appreciated the way it was told. I liked Heavy Rain more but this is still excellent. 8/10
  30. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version ofMy PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  31. Oct 8, 2013
    NEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired ofNEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired of them. But Beyond: Two Souls is just what we need now. A game which has different storylines based on the player's decisions? Awesome! Having to be a human (Jodie) and an entity Aiden)? Double Awesome! And to be able to connect with the characters and truly understand them? Triple Awesome. I'm more of a critic but this is the only game I've seen that's better than GTA V, Assassin's Creed 3 and Call Of Duty 6. It's PERFECT! Expand
  32. Oct 9, 2013
    Well, this is a game, this is not a movie, this is a 50/50 game. Half game half movue and this is great, if you like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead you will like this too, I'm sure. @gamesreflexoes
  33. Oct 15, 2013
    Play the game before you read anything. It is beautiful. This has to be 150 characters so I am just going to add stuff here but seriously, dont read anything to spoil this beautiful story about life.
  34. Oct 24, 2013
    I know graphics isn't the only thing we judge a game on, but you can't ignore the fact that Beyond has from the most beautiful graphics any PS3 game has produced. Although I did feel that the game lagged in places, that the camera angles were weird at times and the story was all over the place at certain spots. I still loved this game. The action sequences to me felt great, and found thatI know graphics isn't the only thing we judge a game on, but you can't ignore the fact that Beyond has from the most beautiful graphics any PS3 game has produced. Although I did feel that the game lagged in places, that the camera angles were weird at times and the story was all over the place at certain spots. I still loved this game. The action sequences to me felt great, and found that moving the joystick work perfect. When it tried to be Heavy Rain, it was awesome.. but when it tried to be mainstream game, it fell flat. And like many have said, the quieter moments were the most impactful and they will never be forgotten. Well done David Cage and Quantic Dream for a real and unique experience in gaming. Expand
  35. Oct 15, 2013
    I saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if somethingI saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if something could have been different succesfully completing an action...please. I wonder if the game has been made for an higher IQ tier than the average of the gamers here complaining is.

My only complaint goes to Aiden's movement which I find it could have been slightly improved, everything else is a true masterpiece and I'm gonna rate this game 10 out of 10 to help close the mouth to "closed mind" ones.

After a second playthrough I have to admit it completely, David Cage is a visionary genius and I invite every "professional" non "oiled" reviewer to take a look at this interview http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/04/david-cage-beyond-two-souls maybe this could clear their view on the "consequences" of actions and on the "why" people playing this game could feel to actually watch a movie while instead their are playing a game, is an interview in which Cage explains why every playthrough is a set piece of experience and why someone playing the game could experience something that other ones playing the very same game doesn't, the basis on which I can legit BS every "review" complaining about a game which is way too sophisticated to be understood at a first glance, this game can be played ten times without digging everything's inside, simply DO NOT LISTEN TO DETRACTORS AND LIVE THIS EXPERIENCE if you have an open mind and enough sensitivity, you won't regret it, just don't expect a classic FPS or TPS nor compare this game to more usual ones, here the skills are not everything and are put under test in a different way, hormone-driven teenagers, FPS lovers and basic minds should avoid it.

Thanks D. Cage, I must repeat myself, you are a visionary genius and this game have just only one BIG defect, sooner or later it comes to an end.
  36. Dec 20, 2013
    Excellent acting by Ellen Page, Willem Defoe and other main characters were good, minor characters weren’t as good, but I feel like Ellen Page's performance really helped sell the game and I would say she probably has one of the best performances in any video game so far. The story is interesting with paranormal and some sci fi element, though the nonsequential story doesn’t really help inExcellent acting by Ellen Page, Willem Defoe and other main characters were good, minor characters weren’t as good, but I feel like Ellen Page's performance really helped sell the game and I would say she probably has one of the best performances in any video game so far. The story is interesting with paranormal and some sci fi element, though the nonsequential story doesn’t really help in all instances. It feels all over the place, especially with there being smaller plots that don’t all have something to do with each other. The Navajo storyline, for the most part, seems like it has little to do with the rest of the game. Another complaint is that the game feels slow at times. I do like Jodie’s character, it’s more believable than Lara Croft. They train Jodie, which explains why she can take on bigger guys during the fight sequences. And because I can make the choices for her, she’s not going to be dumb and run back to a guy who manipulated her. The controls are better than Heavy Rain but still janky with lots of QTEs. Don’t like the combat because it's hard to tell which direction to press at times. Puzzles are very simple, and because there are few things to interact with, there isn’t much challenge to the puzzles. No way to lose. Rather than choices resulting to different consequences, the choices just customize the story. The Somalia level was really well designed. Really great looking faces. Animations are also really good. Walk animations and body language, though the walking gets in the way of the gameplay. Overall I feel like the game really sold it because of Ellen Page and the story was interesting to me. This is not a game for everyone. If gameplay is important to you, this might not be the game for you. I don't want to call this a movie because the interaction helps sell the immersion. I really enjoyed this game. Expand
  37. Oct 15, 2013
    This is the epitome of a good game. You could tell the developers really cared about what they were putting out. The whole time I was playing this I thought, how is the PS3 even capable of rendering these amazing images? It was so stunningly beautiful and well thought out. The acting in this is superb. Whether it's Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and even the actress who played little Jodie wasThis is the epitome of a good game. You could tell the developers really cared about what they were putting out. The whole time I was playing this I thought, how is the PS3 even capable of rendering these amazing images? It was so stunningly beautiful and well thought out. The acting in this is superb. Whether it's Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and even the actress who played little Jodie was amazing. The perfect hybrid of a game and a cinematic. Expand
  38. Oct 9, 2013
    Wow, what a brilliant game. I'm surprised they were able to make this game looks this good on this really old hardware. The graphics and animations were top-notch. The story was emotionally gripping and beautifully written. Ellen Page & William Dafoe did a fantastic job doing the motion captures & voices for their characters. Quantic Dream developed an innovative & unique experience thatWow, what a brilliant game. I'm surprised they were able to make this game looks this good on this really old hardware. The graphics and animations were top-notch. The story was emotionally gripping and beautifully written. Ellen Page & William Dafoe did a fantastic job doing the motion captures & voices for their characters. Quantic Dream developed an innovative & unique experience that you will never see anywhere else. It is refreshing to see a game like this being released in an era full of shooters. If you're a fan of great story-telling, I highly recommend this game. It's one of my favourites of all-time now. Definitely a GOTY contender. Expand
  39. Oct 10, 2013
    The narrative is a bit disjointed, but can I say how much fun it was to play a videogame as Ellen Page?
    It was great. Especially as a person who mainly plays videogames when I'm sick on the couch, I loved not having to memorize 100 controls. Visuals were fantastic. David Cage keep making games.
  40. Oct 21, 2013
    I get why this game has such mixed reviews. It's definitely not for everyone. I had finished the story of GTA5 and rolled right into Beyond the following day. Most people would compare the two and call Beyond a piece of crap. It's like talking about Forrest Gump and having someone ask you if it's as good as Grandma's Boy. They're two totally different films. I keep seeing reviews whereI get why this game has such mixed reviews. It's definitely not for everyone. I had finished the story of GTA5 and rolled right into Beyond the following day. Most people would compare the two and call Beyond a piece of crap. It's like talking about Forrest Gump and having someone ask you if it's as good as Grandma's Boy. They're two totally different films. I keep seeing reviews where people are saying "just play GTA5." They are two completely different games. If you enjoyed Heavy Rain or Asura's Wrath, you'll love Beyond. If you own ten games and they all being with COD, then look elsewhere. And if you're like me, a 28-year-old gamer that's constantly looking for a new experience, than at least give it a shot. I really think there's a lot of fun to be had with this game. Ellen Page is Jodi and her entity is Aiden. YOU, the gamer, are basically Aiden. Getting to play as a benevolent entity is a blast. You can really mess with NPCs. Aiden is very protective of Jodi and that's just one of the many characteristics that mirror how you're feeling while playing. You see Jodi get picked on by a neighborhood kid so you choke the little punk. You sometimes forget that it's just a game. David Cage always said his main objective in gaming was to evoke the players emotions unlike any other game. Sure you are happy when you beat a game or pissed when you die, but what about everything in between. Beyond is one of those "in-between" games. I've played similar games. I'm not saying it's revolutionary, but it's pushing games into unknown territory. I personally loved it. Expand
  41. Oct 12, 2013
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, thisIt's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, this game was plenty worth my time and money. My experience with it was a 10/10, your experience may vary, of course. At least give it a try if possible check out the demo or something--you may not know what you are missing. Expand
  42. Jan 19, 2014
    The bar has been raised. While the gameplay is nothing to get too excited over, it's the character acting and story that keeps you playing. An impressive, engaging, and unique experience that let me satisfied.
  43. Apr 15, 2014
    one of the most powerful history in the games i ever play!!1 just wonderful!! David Cage bring us a great game anyway they still xbox haters here...........................................................................................
  44. Oct 13, 2013
    Heavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and theHeavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and the B movie dial is turned to full blast. Here we have a lowly scientist turned head of some ridiculously gilded defense agency; a mega gate portal to another realm--built despite disastrous results from the first such and equaling a betrayal to Jody by said scientist; laughably bad security at an arctic submarine facility which holds ANOTHER mega gate portal; a boss fight with a non-American military dude who really hates Americans (and women, which Jodie is both); and the real capper, the turning of a likeable character into a madman who would hold the souls of his wife and daughter in torment because he “loves” them too much to let them go. This last insult Cage attempts to justify in the silliest manner by showing that this man got drunk after their deaths. Well Boo-hoo. That being said, most videogame stories generally suck. Heck, Heavy Rain’s sucked, and it’s on my top five! What does that leave us? Gameplay and characterization. Let’s cover the gameplay. I was actually skeptical from the start when Quantic Dream showed us the right thumbstick only QTE’s, and for good reason. Heavy Rain’s QTE’s were awesome, but it seems like these were ditched because someone felt that seeing face buttons appear on screen was distracting. So now instead of knowing how you screwed up you’re left scratching your head--I suppose, as someone else has said already, this could have been fixed by having more than one direction registered as a successful move, or they simply could have displayed the direction they wanted me to press. The problem is that you couldn’t fit these controls to Heavy Rain because the fights in that game were more desperate and dynamic, it wasn’t simply, “Move stick toward dude during slow mo to connect punch, duck or lean back to avoid punch”. Yet you could take the button prompt QTE’s from Heavy Rain and apply them to B2S. Also, I was often frustrated because I had no idea what the designers wanted me to do in a given situation and the player is often yelled at by Jodie to get a move on--A good example: at the embassy Jodie needs to find a “Quiet place” to do something in, we don’t know what it is but standing by the fountain isn’t quiet enough. Turns out you have to find the restroom and go into a stall. Why couldn’t they just say that and, “Here, a star on your screen to show you where it is. Take your time, we won’t yell at you, explore some of the other interesting options we (didn’t) have for you”? The white dots on the screen never turn black to contrast with their environments and doing actions like healing and mind reading are a pain. I can say that I really enjoyed the characters of Jodie and Aiden both and I really like who it turns out that Aiden actually is. I just wish there were more scenes where one didn’t have to call on Aiden to help out. I did relish exacting revenge on the teenagers at the party, but after that did we really need another “Party gone awry”--this time at a bar with the audacity to threaten rape? Couldn’t we just have a scene of poor Jodie enjoying a party? Oh, well, great graphics and fun to be had in spite of it all. 4 out of 5. Expand
  45. Oct 14, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

It transcends both video games and movies to become something greater than either medium would ever be by themselves. I'm an avid gamer (I have 400+ Steam games, 400+ iOS games, and 100+ console games). Yet--to speak for myself--*I* found this game far more moving, thought-provoking, meaningful, and entertaining than many other games (including Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Grand Theft Auto 4-5, The Last of Us, and others).

I can only compare it to Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, or the Metal Gear Solid series: deep rich stories that have themes and messages that convey something of lasting meaning; something beyond the mindless (but fun) shooting and platforming of other titles.

I will remember this game for years to come. There are few works of fiction of any medium for which I can say the same.

If you like a rich deep story line and don't care about a lack of "agency" (it's always illusory in video games, anyway--there are always incredibly restrictive rules on game play), then this is *the* game of the seventh generation. The comparably minor errors in execution and direction can be ignored, when viewed in light of the whole.

Indeed, the question of whether this qualifies as a game is, like Dear Ester, a largely irrelevant and pedantic: It entertains. It provokes thought. It is emotionally moving. And it illustrates that games--like cinema or literature--can be taken seriously as a medium to both entertain and enlighten.

It seems to me that most reviewers of this game have profoundly and tragically missed the point.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that most people who dislike Beyond do so because they cannot (or will not) accept the game on its own terms: They have certain expectations of video games, and deviation from well-established norms vexes them. So, for instance, they demand interactivity, even when accepting passivity allows a far more compelling and moving narrative.

In contrast, other people are more flexible (with regards to their expectations of the medium). For instance, the "passivity" of playing Beyond did not bother me in the slightest. I knew what I was getting into, and I knew it was worth the tradeoff: there has been only one other title in forty years of gaming history that provides an experience comparable to Beyond: Two Souls, and it was released three years ago (Heavy Rain).

I believe that many reviewers, given their larger than average exposure to the medium are even less tolerant that other players of certain deviations from gameplay norms. This, I think, explains the large divergence of opinions on metacritic, and the (to me) inconceivably low average the game currently has (a mere 73 for the professionals, and 78 for gamers).

Like the criticism that the game strips the player of freedom/agency, I do not think the others have merit:

I consider the script to be impeccable. I have noticed no plot holes, and very few problems with the dialogue. It is telling that David Cage took a year of 12-14-hour days to write it and that it is 2000 pages in length.

I consider Page's acting to be truly and deeply awe-inspiring. I cannot praise her highly enough. She memorized 30-40 pages of dialogue each day. She had very little time to prepare and rehearse. She often had to juggle different emotional responses to the situations (e.g., playing the part one way in a scene and playing it another way in the same scene). Yet, despite these challenges, her acting is consistently of the highest professional quality. I have noticed no flaws in her performance; it is (along with William Dafoe's performance) very much in keeping with her Academy Award for Best Actress. I consider her to be the most talented actress I've seen.

I also think that the myriad ad hominem attacks against David Cage seem entirely unwarranted. He does not try to impose his views on others. Rather, he is merely passionate, has a vision he believes in, and is outspoken in his beliefs. He believes that gaming can, like cinema or literature, change the world (or try to). This is not arrogant; it is noble.

Moreover, the game has other strengths that seem to be overlooked by many:

- The social commentary is entirely warranted, and appropriately biting.
    - The graphical quality of the game is the best of any on a console.
    - The story is incredibly moving and thought-provoking. The narrative was very easy for me to follow, despite the non-chronological presentation.
    - There is a wide range of different locales and gameplay dynamics employed.

To put it succinctly (and a little melodramatically):

For me, the game is both a reminder and illustration of the many challenges and the triumphs, the sadnesses and joys that life has to offer. For me, it's life affirming, and I consider it deep, rich and meaningful. There are almost no other games (and few movies and books, for that matter) for which I can say the same.

Take a chance: play this game.
  46. Oct 12, 2013
    This game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the livingThis game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the living characters into fear or darn evil and start killing everything that moves. This gives it replay value, im playing nice/ trolling iden the first time jody being a good girl, next time ill play evil iden and dirty jodie. Its not a runner for any awards cage screwed up here, it could of been alot better and its his creative responsibility. Expand
  47. Mar 21, 2014
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  48. Oct 16, 2013
    During this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....MyDuring this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....My only reservation is that there are gamers out there who will not buy this game based solely on the misguided tepid reviews of a few critics and users--trust me, they have made a bad call-- and that is a shame because they will be losing out on one of the best journeys they can take in gaming--- Be warned--this is not your typical black op/fantasy/ science fiction shooter or slow mo blood and gore epic-- It is a compelling, emotional trip you take with this young girl (young and older Jodie played so well by both actresses) and you can only do that because of the excellent production values of this story....Thank-you Quantric--it was an awesome experience Expand
  49. Nov 17, 2013
    Wow this is an amazing game. Do not listen to narrow minded people who only play COD and don;t know what story is.
    The time flies so fast when you play this game. Amazing graphics makes it even more interesting.
  50. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game it feels like you're playing a movie and the player really begins to connect with jodie, it also is quite fun to make some trouble with aiden like on the point where you have to throw of some cops in a town while they have surrounded jodie Expand
  51. Oct 9, 2013
    Ok so it's not a game like we are used to play...So??

But oh my god, this game is one of the best ever created! Every scene you play is great.We all like great movies right?So why not be part of one?

Do yourself a favour and get this game as soon as possible.

Thank you again David Cage.Thank you for this masterpiece!
  52. Oct 17, 2013
    I am amazed at the low "professional" reviewers score! This is a fantastic game with a excellent story. It actually choked me up a few times. A horrible, vile game like GTA5 (5th sequel here) gets almost perfect scores but a original game like this gets blasted; what a travesty.
  53. May 6, 2014
    This game is probably my new favourite type of game. It has a great storyline to it, although it may be a bit confusing at first but you manage to piece it together later. The gameplay is great with most of it being interactive, is was generally fun to play and had good replay value. The graphics are superb, Voice acting is just brilliant and overall this is an amazing game and I can'tThis game is probably my new favourite type of game. It has a great storyline to it, although it may be a bit confusing at first but you manage to piece it together later. The gameplay is great with most of it being interactive, is was generally fun to play and had good replay value. The graphics are superb, Voice acting is just brilliant and overall this is an amazing game and I can't wait for Quantic Dream's next game. Expand
  54. Oct 19, 2013
    This game was an amazing experience for me, and if it weren't for The Last of Us I would have easily chosen this game as Game of the Year. This is without a doubt the best looking game on the PS3, nothing comes close. In terms of gameplay I would give the nodge to The Last of Us, but in terms of cinematics I would give it to Beyond: Two Souls. In terms of story I would give it to theThis game was an amazing experience for me, and if it weren't for The Last of Us I would have easily chosen this game as Game of the Year. This is without a doubt the best looking game on the PS3, nothing comes close. In terms of gameplay I would give the nodge to The Last of Us, but in terms of cinematics I would give it to Beyond: Two Souls. In terms of story I would give it to the Last of Us but it's very close. In terms of soundtracks Beyond: Two Souls wins this easily. Expand
  55. Nov 24, 2013
    Having finished this game I can say it's worth playing. For some reason this game felt as if Metal Gear Solid 4 met Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. David Cage's games are for those who like to get deeply involved with the story line and don't mind some futuristic themes being interleaved with present day settings. For those who have played QuanticDream's older games you'll feel right at home.
  56. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the new way to tell a story in the future. Videogames aren't only FPS and action, videogames are the new way to create profound content. Beyond Two Souls is magnificent.
  57. Feb 15, 2014
    Just played it trought for the first time. Its an aweomse interactive movie rather than a game, but who cares ? The story was beutifull, the acting was perfect (Elen Page done an awesome job). Multiple endings.

I highly recommend this to everyone!

One slightly problem: the "combat system" is a bit hard, so it wasnt easy to see what kind of move Joide do.
  58. Oct 12, 2013
    +Beautiful graphics/audio
    +Amazing story and storytelling
    +Great and lovable main character -Controls are somewhat unresponsive good thing you don't actually play much :P) -I had some machine lag that never happened before -Continuity between scenes are bad (facial expressions changing in a weird way, characters warping around) -Some minor graphical bugs -Your decisions does not
    +Beautiful graphics/audio
    +Amazing story and storytelling
    +Great and lovable main character

-Controls are somewhat unresponsive good thing you don't actually play much :P)
    -I had some machine lag that never happened before
    -Some minor graphical bugs
    -Your decisions does not have a impact as they did in heavy rain

It might look unfair to give this game a 9 based on these pros and cons, but honestly the experince was incredible. I enjoyed every second of it.(except 2 minutes while I was restarting my PS3 because the game crashed). I would give this game a 10 if I haven't played the Last of Us and seen how amazing acting voicing and storytelling was.
    If you don't like story driven, interactive movie type games, you should stay away from it. Gameplay is not good at all. But if you do, you will have an amazing experience.
    Thank you quantic dream for this game.
  59. Nov 7, 2013
    I am simply a regular player, and I enjoyed this game very much. I don't care about meticulous analysis of each game element, like I have seen in many places about plot holes, or player interaction, don't care at all about anything besides being satisfied with what I am playing. Recommended.
  60. Mar 21, 2014
    Beyond Two Souls has superb graphics and a great story with an interesting narrative that makes you connect the dots and mess with your thinking. Gameplay more dynamic than Heavy Rain. Reviews are lower than expected actually a patriot discomfort not accept some truths that the game shows.
  61. Oct 9, 2013
    Awesome game, the people who rated this game poorly are narrow minded. Not all games have to be shooting and killing all the time. Beyond has great graphics & an awesome story. The controls are good & work well for the game play style. Well worth playing, very good game.
  62. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and IBeyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  63. Oct 16, 2013
    Beyond two souls review: this game is for people like me who think story is one of the most important things for a game to be entertaining. It's kind of like a quick time event story with Jodie while you almost have full control of Aiden. The story is so engaging and the emotions throughout the game are sensational. As far as genre goes it is really the whole package, it ranges fromBeyond two souls review: this game is for people like me who think story is one of the most important things for a game to be entertaining. It's kind of like a quick time event story with Jodie while you almost have full control of Aiden. The story is so engaging and the emotions throughout the game are sensational. As far as genre goes it is really the whole package, it ranges from explosive action scenes to surprisingly creepy scenes. However the type of game it is is definitely not for everyone, including myself since I usually play more action oriented games so if I was giving it a score based on my style of games I would give it about an 8 but I know better then to give a review on a game just because I have a different opinion on games so for what it is it definitely deserves a 10. The only negative is that the controls for Aiden are a little hard to control sometimes and take some time to get used to. All around a 10 out of 10! Expand
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from theThis game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from the big set peices to all the locations and little activities from begging for money to cooking to controlling Aiden make this a Game of the Year candidate for me Expand
  65. Oct 27, 2013
    It's a step towards turning a video game not only fun or challenging but gives an additional value of emotions of identification...Since emotions dominate human behavior it's empower a game with much more impact and makes the player much more involved with what's is happening to the character he plays...I would dare to say this game is one more step forward in the evolution of videoIt's a step towards turning a video game not only fun or challenging but gives an additional value of emotions of identification...Since emotions dominate human behavior it's empower a game with much more impact and makes the player much more involved with what's is happening to the character he plays...I would dare to say this game is one more step forward in the evolution of video games...Now it's legitimate to cry in a video game...Bravo! Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2014
    A little late with this review, but boy was it worth it!
    A little late with this review, but boy was it worth it!
    I do not know what game the magazines are playing, but its certainly not this one. Great game if you like games for the story and twists. Obviously, if you like Heavy rain, you will love this. AMAZING graphics for a ps3, they are pretty much next gen. I would pitch this game as an interactive movie. Acting is top notch and characters are very believable.
  67. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget about what all the tight-ass reviewers say (We're looking at you IGN!), this game is a perfect example of what interactive storytelling should be. Any old idiot should be able to understand the non-linear story-line and everyone should be able to enjoy the way that game lets interact with the flow of the narrative. However, there are some people who just can't seem to fabricate aForget about what all the tight-ass reviewers say (We're looking at you IGN!), this game is a perfect example of what interactive storytelling should be. Any old idiot should be able to understand the non-linear story-line and everyone should be able to enjoy the way that game lets interact with the flow of the narrative. However, there are some people who just can't seem to fabricate a reasonable opinion on this game. I know some have different ways of thinking than others but this game brought out so many emotions in me and made me feel like I was having a huge say and part in what was happening in the narrative. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and its 22 alternate endings (who says it isnt interactive enough!?) and would recommend it to anyone who is able to properly appreciate excellent writing and an overall excellent game Expand
  68. Oct 8, 2013
    This is how you make an interactive game. David Cage hit the old nail on the head with this one.
    The only thing that is upsetting is the controls when you have combat scenes, all others was top notch.
    Aiden the supernatural best friend of Jodie is interesting and its always interesting to see how their relationship becomes stronger. A great story, and a very impressive game.
  69. Oct 9, 2013
    And again I have any problems when I play, no, when I enjoy this amazing interactive movie. It's the greatest way for spending your evening. Please, don't listen anybody and play it!)
  70. Oct 8, 2013
    These are two words which can describe this game
    Beautiful
    Strange

I do not listen to those who say that this game is very bad or great to judge that you must to experience this game

And for me score of this game is 10/10
  71. Oct 12, 2013
    From its hyper realistic sweat pores to its startlingly beautiful soundtrack, Beyond is an experience you do not want to pass up. For starters, on the debate for is this a video game, I'd like to point out that video games has become a wide varied genre. Is this included? To put it simply, yes. Don't believe me? Well. For all the people reviewing the game, who then call it not a game, butFrom its hyper realistic sweat pores to its startlingly beautiful soundtrack, Beyond is an experience you do not want to pass up. For starters, on the debate for is this a video game, I'd like to point out that video games has become a wide varied genre. Is this included? To put it simply, yes. Don't believe me? Well. For all the people reviewing the game, who then call it not a game, but critique its GAMEplay. Think.
    Now for my opinion. This game is a masterpiece, flawed slightly but nonetheless something unique. The best description for it is it isn't a 'gamers game'. By that I mean, its not for those who love their shoot em ups, driving games or sandbox type ones. I do enjoy those games, but I'm heavily open minded. Beyond is described as an interactive story, and it is, but games have been interactive stories for near a decade now. The Last of Us. Tomb Raider. Bioshock Infinite. Story is a driving force in the gaming world now and Beyond doesn't disappoint. Its tragic, its warm, cold, funny, heartbreaking, terrifying. Its throws emotions at you and your helpless but to feel. This is only strengthened by the acting capabilities of all the characters in the game, in particularly Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes. Ellen breathes life into this game, and it isn't hard to believe she was nominated for an Oscar. As for gameplay, the only trouble I had was with a dodgy camera angle, otherwise its simple, fun and taken time with, exhilarating. But like I said, this game wont appeal to everyone.
    Honestly though, buy it. Whether you like the look of it or don't, its an experience that will have you talking no matter what.
    A final gem for the PS3, an easy ten out of ten.
  72. Nov 13, 2013
    Possibly the most incredible and believable graphics to hit the aging PS3 console, Beyond: Two Souls offers a heart-touching, immersive experience to the players who are willing to play a game that thinks out-of-the-box in it's storytelling, something that rarely ever happens in it's genre.

The graphics cannot be empathized enough, the realism and believe value, running on the PS3 is amazing. You choose how Jodie goes through her extraordinary life in order to meet her conclusion. And aside from the rather unfitting ending (the part after choosing your ultimate decision), the game would have been a total of 10/10 for delivering a truly revolutionizing and amazing storytelling experience that is completely believable on the PS3, something that most other games have struggled to do.
  73. Nov 27, 2013
    What a beautiful looking game!

But looks aren't everything and well, the story line is awesome! you do begin to care for Jody and the game does bring you out with emotions.

Gameplay is good, character movement a bit iffy in some places but the quick time events are engaging and you have a short time to think about actions.

If you enjoyed Heavy Rain you'll love this!
  74. Oct 15, 2013
    I had my doubts about David Cages new epic. I really enjoyed Heavy rain and didn't take any notice of the moaners who kept on going on about it's only quick time blah blah blah. What was wrong with that game however was the acting which let it down badly in some scenes, not all by any means but some.
    I felt that maybe he hadn't learned his lesson and I had grave doubts about using Hollywood actors as they are actually different and most of the best voice actors or indeed motion capture actors are not really successful big name Hollywood actors. That may just me being conditioned to think that without any real evidence but that what I feared for this game, being a little too cheesy like Heavy rain was at times. I was wrong on so many accounts. Ellen Page is brilliant as the lead and the motion capture tech has evolved enough by companies like Cages that it genuinely captures the actors true talent that comes through loud and clear. Maybe this is the way forward now, to get actors who are at the top of their game, no pun intended, to play in more video games as Ellen takes this on to new heights imho.
    You may have read that the supporting cast aren't that good by some critics, well that's just not true. All the performances were good to excellent imho.
    A slight spoiler here but if you play as the spirit sometimes you'll see dead people in unexpected places. Very creepy and it works well. On this point this game really does send shivers up your from time to time, something that a Hollywood film has been unable to do to me for literally years!
    Another criticism of the game is the 'broken up narrative style' Many saying it confuses them somehow.
    I disagree again as this is not a film it is first and foremost a game and doing it this way lets you get straight into the action without the boring buildup in heavy rain before you get to the real action and good stuff. This too me work very well indeed and you don't lose the story it's just told in a more exciting way that works particularly well for the media it's made for.
    There is a real kicker at the end that I didn't see coming and though it's not an ending that is in say, bioshock infinite's' class that is hardly surprising as this is a game that gives you many endings and even though Cage is imho a bit of a genius he or say Ken Levine would find it impossible to come up with 20 odd equally amazing endings, but, as I have said there is a really good kick at the end and that's impressive enough.
    Cage likes to call his games interative experiences and to this end it should be judged as such and whether you personally like this style of gameplay or not it shouldn't stop you at least trying to understand what quantic Dream are trying to achieve with their excellent products.
    Is it game of the year? Well maybe not the game of the year as this has been a particularly good year for games such as The last of Us, GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite all of which deserve their illustrious reputations but so does beyond two souls and I would put it right up there with the best of the best.
    Buy it! it's a keeper
  75. Nov 21, 2013
    First: you need to be the type of persons who enjoys story telling games like this.
    Beyond: Two Souls has an awesome story that totally caught me and it comes with incredible graphics and acting.
    The only negative thing about the game is the difficulty, which really is not challenging for any experienced gamer. Still, I never felt like "watching a movie" but always like I was actively making decisions and playing a video game.
  76. Oct 9, 2013
    Don't believe the criticism sites Beyond is the Beyond is maybe most important of the game playstation history. Emotional, sensitive and stunning.. Thanks Quantic Dream..
  77. Oct 11, 2013
    I knew this one is definitly not a game for everyone.

I knew this one is definitly not a game for everyone.

The graphics are just beautiful, the acting is pretty good and the story is exciting. I watched myself playing this game for 6 hours non-stop because the rememberable moments just didn't stop coming. It's a extremely immersive adventure well... if you're into those kinda emotional stories. There's little action and the controls are original and not more than unusual but very, very far from "unplayable" like some people are suggesting.

Like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead Beyond: Two Souls has little gameplay, but great, emotional storytelling. And in the end of the day... not everyone just loves to enjoy a good story with an original way of playing rather than having powerful, actionpacked gameplay with familiar controls.
  78. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otroBeyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otro juego. Expand
  79. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  80. Oct 20, 2013
    Well, sorry, but i can't understand when reviewers say something like "lacklustre story" or "limited gameplay". Yes, story have it's problems and holes but this game made me attached to it's characters, empathize em and actually feel some emotions toward what happening on my screen. And last game (not the game as a whole, but final scene) that did it for me was Metal Gear Solid 4. AlsoWell, sorry, but i can't understand when reviewers say something like "lacklustre story" or "limited gameplay". Yes, story have it's problems and holes but this game made me attached to it's characters, empathize em and actually feel some emotions toward what happening on my screen. And last game (not the game as a whole, but final scene) that did it for me was Metal Gear Solid 4. Also after Heavy Rain you expect what? Duke Nukem 3D? Beyond is the same kind of interactive story as Heavy Rain were and i'm totally fine with that. Lower the game score because it's not like in your wet dreams? That's kind of strange thing in my eyes.
    As for the visual part of Beyond i don't think it's possible to pull out something more amazing from old consoles. I played Beyond right after i finished single part of GTA 5, the game was met by many reviewers as a graphical masterpiece that managed to do incredible things with that limited resources this gen consoles can offer, but i can say that Beyond is far better in my opinion. Yes, it's has it's own problems, low res textures here and there, but character models looks really amazing (while in GTA 5 i literally run away from strip club after i saw that dreadful dancers models and animation). I'm really impressed.
    As for story, i found it's good overall but i have i lot of moments that made me wonder how is that even possible. First of all i can't get some reviewers with their "What starts as an emotional, exciting story, ends up being a grotesque tidal wave of paranormal crap". Huh? It's starts with a little girl that have an invisible friend that can choke people to death. Nothing paranormal here, more along. I just can't get it. The whole story is about that, about how people look at that, about how they react at that things. Form a random boy on a street all the way up to Pentagon. But i have to be honest i have my share of problems with game story. There were a few moments i was like "why it's so random? If only i knew this before i have done things in a different way!". In the end it's explained why story is such a mess, but still you'll probably have this problem on your first walkthrough. WARNING SOME MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD! Most questions i have to some kind of weird Aiden behaviour. Looks like story sometimes forget that he is absolutely independent entity just "chained" to Jodie. Remember that Chin...oh shi~...that Whateverstan base? When Nik killed guard that was under Aiden control? And Jodie recoiled for some reason. I don't get why. Well, i could understand if Aiden get angry for that (that could be unpleasant for him) but Jodie that have nothing to do with that? Also on one hand he can stop Desert Eagle bullets fired from almost point blank range, deal with entire SWAT team prepared for combat (ok, they can't do a thing to him, but can do to Jodie) but cliche thing like baseball bat or assault rifle butt hit from behind is like ultimate move against him (worked 3 times out of 3 for me). Why? Or sometimes he is like "Whatever i'll act like i'm not even here". Like all the times while Jodie is fighting for her life Aiden must be flying around munching popcorn like "What a show! Oh my!". Otherwise i don't see a reason why he can't help. Like with first "zombie" in first condenser lab. Jodie fighting on her own, but few minutes later Aiden killing like 10 of that "zombies" (and even more entities)? Also i can't get that homeless part. Yeah, freezing on a street. Even worse, this "oh taking money to survive from ATM is such a bad thing". I can't even imagine that after 10 years of doing all that dirty jobs on CIA, including assassinations, after your country treat you like after almost everyone treat you like ****...I can believe in Max Payne story, where in situation like this you will go forward with guns blazing against all odd till the end, because you have nothing to lose at all, but i can't believe in that. Or at the end. Cole: -We are going to die anyway. Everyone:-Yeah, we get it. A minute later Cole falls and entities kill him. Jodie:-Noooooo, Cole!!!!11 WTF, aren't you get it that it's a one way trip anyway and that doesn't matter if Cole dies sooner or later? END OF SPOILERS. So as you can see there are a lot of holes and weird things in Beyond story (and i tell you just a part of it), but somehow that didn't spot me from enjoying this game so much.
    As for gameplay. Well, don't expect much. It's almost identical to Heavy Rain: QTEs, some item hunting and sometime game allow you to choose what to say (truth of lie, get angry of stay calm and etc). Not much but i wasn't hoping for something more anyway. Maybe you can say that game is short (it took me about 8 hours to finish), but it kept me playing non-stop. I started it in the morning and just after i finish it i realise that it dark outside already and i haven't eat or drink a thing for the whole day...
    So i strongly recommend this game to everyone who liked Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. 9/10
  81. Aug 24, 2014
    Gráficos muito bons, e a trilha sonora ótimo ,história do jogo excelente e escolher daqui pra frente o que mudar , recomendo a todos, uma obra prima , a Quantic Dream tá de parabéns
  82. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best experience ever in PS3. This a game and it's a movie, a game-movie or movie-game, so do not be deceived or desapointed. Great story and awesome graphics! One of the most beautiful and thrilling game I ever played.
  83. Nov 11, 2013
    It's an awesome game, with great graphics, and amazing mo-capping, but I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no real longevity to the game, once you've completed it; Just alternate cut-scenes.
  84. dtl
    Oct 10, 2013
    I have never before played a game like this, but it was great. It is an excellent character-driven game. (Yes, it is a game.) As such, if you don't care about the character Jodie, you really won't like the game. Luckily, Jodie is a very good character, and Ellen Page does an excellent job as her voice. I am much more interested in seeing some of her work after playing this game.

I've

I've never been a fan of quick-time events, but they work reasonably well here. I thought the action scenes were reasonably well designed, and enjoyed the actual gameplay, whether controlling Aiden or Jodie. I had enough control that I could never simply disengage from the act of controlling the game, which is one of the worries a person might reasonably have in such a game.

This is one of the two best games I've played on the PS3, along with The Last of Us, and one of the best I've ever played.
  85. Oct 9, 2013
    What an incredibly original, emotionally engaging, story. The graphics are amazing and the voice acting is top notch. I found the combat mechanics to be a step up from it's predecessor Heavy Rain in this game you are forced to pay attention to what is happening around you rather than just looking for what button you have to push. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great storyWhat an incredibly original, emotionally engaging, story. The graphics are amazing and the voice acting is top notch. I found the combat mechanics to be a step up from it's predecessor Heavy Rain in this game you are forced to pay attention to what is happening around you rather than just looking for what button you have to push. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a great story driven gaming experience. Expand
  86. Jan 19, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls has some glitches and such, but, in general, this is a great game full of excitement, drama, and action. You make small and large choices. But, unlike Heavy Rain, this doesn't effect the ENTIRE game ending. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting is great. In my opinion, this is the best game I have ever played so far.
  87. Oct 8, 2013
    If you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game. It's not for everyone, but Quantic Dream is to be commended for aspiring to be something greater and far different than anything or anyone else in the industry.
    The graphics are absolutely next-gen quality,the characters are well developed, and the story and themes will make your heart break at times. Are there things I don't necessarily like? Sure, but Beyond:Two Souls greatly succeeds in spite of them. You become so wrapped up in Jodie's story that you not only deal with the flaws, but forget them completely.
    If the Last of Us showed you that emotions can be brought to life in a very real way, then Quantic Dreams' Beyond:Two Souls proves that it can permeate and completely saturate the entire length of a campaign.
  88. Oct 19, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of novels, interactive or otherwise. This game reminds me a lot of a novel. It's action packed enough to be a movie, but the plot is well thought out, the characters evolve throughout the story and I really felt involved with what was happening to the protagonist, which are characteristics generally associated with novels and not movies.

I would recommend this game to

I would recommend this game to anyone that wants to be involved in a story, especially to those that enjoyed other Quantic Dream titles such as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. I would not recommend this game to anyone that just wants to shoot bullets and kill bad guys, or is the type of player that clicks past reading all the quests. This game really wouldn't appeal to that audience.

The only critique I have of it is that the controls for Jodie are not intuitive, it is often hard to tell which direction the game wants you to press. She'll dodge left, so you press left, only to find that the game actually wanted you to press down. An easy solution to that problem is just to play the game on easy mode though, which actually gives you visual arrows to show which direction you should press.
  89. Oct 10, 2013
    Games as i think it is great. I loved heavy rain and i love this game too. Voice acting is fantastic probably best grapichs on ps3 right now. Games choices really good i loved making choices in video games. Everyone who liked heavy rain should at least try this one.
  90. Feb 17, 2014
    I love that game. Awesome story, absolutely beautiful graphics and interesting characters. I think everyone should play and feel IT. Beyond and TLOU = My games of the year!
  91. Nov 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a good game. It is an entertaining journey that allows us a glimpse of future interactive entertainment.

We know people are very different. The can all enjoy different kinds of Movies, Games and sports. Our tastes are different. When reviewing a game like Beyond, its easiest to compare it amongst the relative small amount of games that inhabit that genre(s) and

When reviewing a game like Beyond, its easiest to compare it amongst the relative small amount of games that inhabit that genre(s) and not necessarily to the wider range of peers it could rank against.

I like to watch films(UK English) and I like video games, and having the two combined was a treat. While watching movies there are generally two things that frustrate me about a good story; The inability to choose a different cause of action to the one chosen in the film, and the length of the film. Beyond: Two souls and Quantum Dreams Studios have solved this.
    Imagining a Lord of the rings where we could have more control over the characters fate. On the flip side, It may eliminate the nostalgia of having read the books(Although they ended up being very different anyway).

I can imagine a future where movies cross to the line and become more interactive. With DVDs came the ability to change camera angles etc. although I still haven’t used it or seen it. Why? Well, other than it being possible to catch a better glimpse of a side-boob the feature is generally uninteresting. The ability to change the run of the story based on what we would do and how I feel at the time is what we I am really looking for.

Talking about the silliness of Beyond’s plot and the holes in the story would take a whole page to describe. I will leave the game magazines to plough through that. That is all inconsequential in comparison to the Audacity of Quantum Dreams to tell a story so provoking to the imagination is admiring.
    The plan this time around I guess, was to make amore empathetic and emotional ride for the gamer/viewer, to take the next step into the Future entertainment realm. It was a very good attempt. And it was fun to watch. Those who ever remembered “Alive” can see how this deal plays out with real life actors whose days –as technology rapidly advances in the years to come will be numbered.
  92. Oct 29, 2013
    it is in the first 3 most intresting stories of 2013 for me, and that is presented by the the common quantic style with the fast action scenes, wich are still fantastic
  93. Jun 1, 2014
    After playing Beyond Two Souls for hours and completing the story, I can honestly say that this is arguably one of my favorite games of all time. The combat is so smooth and the story was very well done. All respect to David Cage.
  94. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  95. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the sameThis game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  96. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is not for everyone but for some who wants a rich story with great conflicted characters then this is your game. It's not a heavy action game with the gameplay being restricted throughout the gameplay. The Playstation 3 literally shows what it can do on its end to the Playstation 4 coming in a couple months.

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden,

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden, Choices
    Cons: Controls, Restricted game-play

Conclusion: Game-play is a little troubling to get through but the whole experience so rich and so great that people who skip the game would miss something so different than most games society has played.
  97. Oct 11, 2013
    Amazing! Just simply amazing! This game is amazing from start to finish with only a couple of bumps in the road. Quantic Dream has done it again and brought fourth a revolutionary game.
  98. Nov 9, 2013
    I rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiotsI rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiots because they don't get it. That's sad to me. This game is gorgeous, and so awesome. My other favorite game this year is The Last of Us. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good too. Expand
  99. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is the best way for Sony to end the Playstation 3 era, this is not a video game it is an experience...an experience any gamer,movie or tv lover HAS to experience. Quantic Dream are one of the only company's to make me feel emotion through out their productions, be it anger, sadness happiness and its consistently on par with the protagonist emotion. The ending is brilliantBeyond Two Souls is the best way for Sony to end the Playstation 3 era, this is not a video game it is an experience...an experience any gamer,movie or tv lover HAS to experience. Quantic Dream are one of the only company's to make me feel emotion through out their productions, be it anger, sadness happiness and its consistently on par with the protagonist emotion. The ending is brilliant and as always once the credits roll you immediately are overwhelmed with satisfaction in your purchase of their product.But also you should expect the ending and characters to linger in your thoughts for weeks to come.One word....Perfect 10/10! Expand
  100. Oct 12, 2013
    This game may not have the worlds most solid gameplay, and sometimes it feels forced, but the story was so compelling I couldn't put it down and when the end came I was sad that it had come to a close, my ending was so satisfying, if i could forget it all and go through it again I would without question, for me films and games have become more and more about the story and this justThis game may not have the worlds most solid gameplay, and sometimes it feels forced, but the story was so compelling I couldn't put it down and when the end came I was sad that it had come to a close, my ending was so satisfying, if i could forget it all and go through it again I would without question, for me films and games have become more and more about the story and this just reinforces my opinion that games are pushing forward in this field. In all, I loved Beyond: Two Souls and never want to forget how much of a success it was to me, it makes me wish my opinion mattered more to people outside my circle of friends, because nobody should miss out on this story. It saddens me to hear people criticize Cages writing for this. Its by no means perfect, but it was, in my eyes at least, beautiful, and I'm so grateful I've been able to experience it, thank you Quantic Dream, sincerely. Expand

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.