Binary Domain PlayStation 3

8.2

1. Mar 6, 2012
    It is very likely you, at present, do not own a copy of this very charming third person shooter. A game designed in the East with the mindset of the West at the forefront of its development, the result is something surreal. A game with balanced combat, great visuals, impressive boss fights and an enjoyable, if slightly surreal, plot to weave them all together in one of the most completeIt is very likely you, at present, do not own a copy of this very charming third person shooter. A game designed in the East with the mindset of the West at the forefront of its development, the result is something surreal. A game with balanced combat, great visuals, impressive boss fights and an enjoyable, if slightly surreal, plot to weave them all together in one of the most complete and enjoyable campaigns I have ever played in a shooter. The package is, however, somewhat let down by its multiplayer component. Its a tack on, and I have no other words for it. Obviously an obligation rather than concern, the developers have made no exemplary effort to set Binary Domain's multiplayer apart from the herd. It can, however, be enjoyable for small sessions at a time but will never raise you out of your seat or impress in you anyway. Is this a game for the competitive purist? Neigh, but it is likely the best campaign you will find in a third person shooter this year. Highly recommended. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Binary Domain is an interesting beast. Whereas Yakuza: Dead Souls was still uniquely Japanese in flavor and has endured some criticism of its TPS mechanics as a result, Binary Domain is a Western-style shooter with some added elements that its Japanese developers must have thought would enhance the typical TPS experience. The result is surprisingly effective and enjoyable.

Yas, if

Yas, if your team is the one who localized Binary Domain, I need to give you some serious commendations. The script, the voicework, and the crisp presentation are all high-caliber. The same love and care that obviously went into the localization for Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls are here, but the addition of a great English dub makes it even more impressive (not that I would EVER want the Yakuza games to be voiced in English again, mind you).

That being said, Binary Domain is still quite different than its Yakuza brethren. It's a lot more linear, and the gimmicky voice command and relationship systems don't work that well most times. The multiplayer is also pretty mediocre, but the single-player campaign is far more enjoyable than any standard Western shooter that I've played in the last few years. The constant banter between teammates, the well-conceived story, the atmospheric locales, the variety of gameplay, the brilliant mechanical designs, and the satisfaction of blowing pieces off of the enemy bots all combine for some compelling gameplay and replay value. The enemies are fairly intelligent and can be quite difficult to take down, which contributes to a sense of real achievement. Menus and interface components are streamlined and user-friendly, and the auto-save/checkpoint system is about as perfect as you could ever hope to have. You never need to worry about losing progress or screwing up a save file, career profiles, hard saves vs. quicksaves, or any of the other aggravations that seem to pop up in Western shooter campaigns.

Also, the plethora of upgrades, crafting options, item pickups, and shop offerings still feel like they benefited from Yakuza's pedigree. And like Yakuza, you actually start to understand and genuinely care about the characters, even if they do seem painfully stereotypical and forgettable in the first couple hours. I love the way that minor puzzles, mini-games, and QTE-esque rail sequences keep the shooter combat from feeling repetitive, and the quality cutscenes are lengthy but don't overstay their welcome. Players can also approach objectives in a variety of ways. NPC squad members might suggest an action to take down the enemy, but you are still welcome to do it your own way, to which they will sometimes reply "nevermind" in a comical way. The script is perfectly balanced, too, throwing in some clever humor amidst the intense drama of the narrative. It tackles some difficult existential material at times, so the occasional comic relief is certainly appreciated.

If there is one thing that I could say is a missed opportunity, though, it's the linear structure of the game. While shooters normally ARE linear and it may not bother a majority of players, I feel like Binary Domain would have been a more stand-out title if it had allowed you to approach mission content and objectives in a more free-roaming fashion. I didn't expect the game to be a Mass Effect contender or anything, but if you were able to set up a base camp as you moved through Tokyo and handle secondary objectives freely before moving to the next hot spot, perhaps even selecting your teammates to supplement your abilities in each scenario, it probably would have made better use of the relationship system and customization that the game touts. Still, this is just wishful thinking, and perhaps the devs will consider that if Binary Domain 2 ever becomes a possibility. Otherwise, the major gripes that you will hear in reviews for this game are focused on the lack of multiplayer options. Sure, the mainstays are present, though not original or revolutionary by any stretch, and there is no campaign co-op. And that's a shame, since it could've garnered Binary Domain some much-deserved attention from critics and players alike.

The bottom line is this - Binary Domain is, surprisingly, one of the best third-person shooters we've received in the seventh generation, if only for its meaty single-player campaign. Unfortunately, the game wasn't marketed very well for its American release, and many gamers may overlook it assuming that it's just a generic throw-away title. In actuality, even the best Western TPS franchises could learn from Binary Domain's stellar presentation and localized script. I would encourage ever Yakuza fan, shooter fan, or general action gamer to give Binary Domain a shot, and you may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of its experience.
  3. Mar 10, 2012
    I'm actually shocked with how good this game is. Think of it as Uncharted meets Gears of War meets Front Mission meets Mass Effect. It's something like this. To put it simple: this game is AWESOME. I was surprised. Small publicity, bad cover, I mean, it looked like one of these games no one cares. But I decided to give it a chance. Great graphics (although occasionally meh), great story,I'm actually shocked with how good this game is. Think of it as Uncharted meets Gears of War meets Front Mission meets Mass Effect. It's something like this. To put it simple: this game is AWESOME. I was surprised. Small publicity, bad cover, I mean, it looked like one of these games no one cares. But I decided to give it a chance. Great graphics (although occasionally meh), great story, great characters, fun, perfect gameplay with may surprises on the way. THIS GAME MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2012
    Just got it today, only played the first mission and a little of the second chapter and so far it's exactly what most people are saying, wonderful & awesome game. Pick up if you get a chance, especially if you are a shooter/action fan.
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    A surprising gem that I probably would not have picked up on if not for PS Plus. A great story, awesome characters, and satisfying action make this a 3rd person shooter that I recommend you don't pass by. The core gameplay is what you would expect from a cover based 3rd person shooter, but the game manages to feel fresh thanks to it's satisfying combat encounters, despite it's veryA surprising gem that I probably would not have picked up on if not for PS Plus. A great story, awesome characters, and satisfying action make this a 3rd person shooter that I recommend you don't pass by. The core gameplay is what you would expect from a cover based 3rd person shooter, but the game manages to feel fresh thanks to it's satisfying combat encounters, despite it's very familiar style of gameplay. Shredding enemy robots to pieces with your guns is satisfying and an awesome sight to behold, that is made better once you start upgrading your weapons. I did find the earlier boss battles to be more tedious and irritating than fun, but they get better as the game progresses. As far as multiplayer goes it's fun, but it's clear that it is standing on it's last legs and won't be around much longer. Still, the single-player experience more than makes up for what may end up being a lack of multiplayer.

So combat is incredibly fun and action packed, but there's much more to the package than just that. Squad interactions are another great feature this title offers. Using either voice commands or manual inputs, you'll be able to interact with your squad at certain points to influence their opinion of you. Act like a jerk or shoot them in combat and they'll dislike you and won't follow your orders. Treat them well and do impressive in combat and they'll have your back and open up to you. This sort of relationship management is one of my favorite aspects of the game and this along with the multiple endings kind of gives the game a slight RPG feel. In case you're wondering if you're not a fan of voice commands, or just don't have a mic, then I can say that the manual input works fine and is a great alternative.

"Binary Domain" is a great game and one that may be criminally overlooked. If you're looking for an action packed game that has you fighting robots rather than the generic terrorists and zombies that just about every other game seems to have, then this game is worth your time. It's multiplayer may be dying, and some of the boss battles may be tedious, but this is still an excellent game with a single player campaign that's worth a look. In a time when every game is either a sequel or a clone of a popular franchise, this game feels unique and fresh. I personally recommend that you don't let this game pass you by.
  6. Aug 2, 2012
    I'm pretty surprised by the low scores this game has received by the critics. This is a game with an interesting storyline, likeable characters (even if a bit stereotyped), exciting set-pieces including some epic boss battles and with no really big flaws in it. The controls don't feel as tight as other games such as uncharted or gow but work perfectly. I've heard that voice commands aren'tI'm pretty surprised by the low scores this game has received by the critics. This is a game with an interesting storyline, likeable characters (even if a bit stereotyped), exciting set-pieces including some epic boss battles and with no really big flaws in it. The controls don't feel as tight as other games such as uncharted or gow but work perfectly. I've heard that voice commands aren't recognised as good as they should but that's an optional feature and in any case, a feature that most games don't even have. The only real flaws i can think of are just the framerate dips (easily noticeable on the bigger battles) and its multiplayer lacking players.
    If you like third person shooters not only for their multiplayer this is a must. If you don't, then convince some friends to get the game aswell.
  7. Mar 3, 2012
    Great game with a superb story.The interaction between the characters is believable and sometimes humorous. You can choose reply options that can hurt or help the trust between yourself and your teammates and effect the endings.The sci-fi setting is really well done and looks clean and sharp throughout. In some of the areas there is a break from the action and you can walk around and speakGreat game with a superb story.The interaction between the characters is believable and sometimes humorous. You can choose reply options that can hurt or help the trust between yourself and your teammates and effect the endings.The sci-fi setting is really well done and looks clean and sharp throughout. In some of the areas there is a break from the action and you can walk around and speak with NPCs. I think that the best way to describe this game is like a great book...you want to keep going because the story builds into it's greatness but you also realize that by progressing you're moving closer to the end of a great adventure...if that makes sense.The best testament to this game is to just try to find someone who finished it and didn't like it,...I'm not talking of professional reviewers who sometimes don't even complete the game before passing judgement, but just regular people who have played it..check the forums of regular gaming sites and you'll see the love for this game. In fact this is the only game I've ever written a review for because I felt it was that good and more people should know about this game. Expand
  8. Apr 19, 2013
    Binary domain is a great game with a great history, frenetic action shooter, great graphics with some a la vanquish style, the early begginning maybe some railroad prograssion but everything else is good, higly recomended, only real bad thing is the frame rate in some parts, but you can deal with it
  9. Dec 23, 2014
    Uhuhu, i loved this one! I seriously loved every aspect of this game! Good graphics, good characters, good level design, good story and battling huge robots never gets old for me! For me one of the best games for the PS3!
  10. Mar 29, 2012
    Binary Domain created by all or most of the team that make the playstation exclusive yakuza series. This is there first attempt at any kind of 3rd person shooter, and turned out to be surprisingly good.
    more of a cult classic than a game everyone will like. The game manages to revive the shooter genre that has become a stale wasteland of c.o.d clones. The game does not pander to the casual gamer and is a reasonable challenge on normal. A very good challenge on hard, recommended difficulty too enjoy the enemy ai. they will try to out think you. completion time is around 8 to10 hours a little longer if want all the collectables. the campaign story is one of the best this year, robots, politics and humanity to weave an interesting story around some characters you actually care about by the end . re-playable by changing your team members each with there own skills and upgrades but you always play as dan the main character and voice or button control your team. Voice control works after adjusting settings and i found using an old mic worked better than the official one. using voice isnt needed but adds to the overall feel of the gameplay. character voices are localised so you have a robot ninja that speaks french for example . Over all good voice acting in this game no corny mockney accents anywere to be seen. after the campaign you have 50 wave horde mode, online co op and multiplayer ,deathmatch, team death match. more like socom online than cod mainly japanese players online but fairly busy and populated lobbies. i would recommend this game if you liked the movie ai robot as the robots look similar in places. the boss fights are great fun while still challenging. Graphics are very good. 8.5
  11. May 3, 2012
    If you like 'gears of war' style games you'll like the feel of Binary Domain. If you like films like 'I, Robot' Bladerunner, Screamers, or Mecha cartoons, or even the new Capricia/BattlestarGalactica TV series, then you'll like the story line and grahics. The plot is full of holes, but I didn't care, I was having too much fun blasting holes in rebelling robots. Its a great game - I endedIf you like 'gears of war' style games you'll like the feel of Binary Domain. If you like films like 'I, Robot' Bladerunner, Screamers, or Mecha cartoons, or even the new Capricia/BattlestarGalactica TV series, then you'll like the story line and grahics. The plot is full of holes, but I didn't care, I was having too much fun blasting holes in rebelling robots. Its a great game - I ended up enjoying it more than Gears 3 - but then I really liked 'I, Robot'. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    The most fun I've had playing a game for about, oooh, a few years? It's brilliant. Don't understand the 'meh' attitude from the game press. Sure, it's not original, but the gameplay is amazing fun the whole way through, it never gets dull, and its story is the best I've seen in a game for a long time.

Game of the Year contender for me, no question!!! I really hope these guys are planning a sequel...
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    I bought SXX, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and got a third free - Binary Domain. For me the best arcade shooter on PS3 (similar to Gears of War on 360).
    Neotokyo style + good graphic + simple controls + dynamic action + typical Japanese storyline :) you just enjoy playing it without getting bored.
    really need to appreciate this perfect game and to support the artists by buying the game.
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is criminally underrated. The story was magnificent, very interesting themes. The dialogue could be cheesy but I grew to some of the characters. The combat was very fun blowing machines to pieces as well as having a lot of variety the entire time and epic bosses. You will go down a huge slide, drive jet skis, travel on train, etc. I've played many third person shooters, but thisThis game is criminally underrated. The story was magnificent, very interesting themes. The dialogue could be cheesy but I grew to some of the characters. The combat was very fun blowing machines to pieces as well as having a lot of variety the entire time and epic bosses. You will go down a huge slide, drive jet skis, travel on train, etc. I've played many third person shooters, but this ranks amoung of the better ones. The only ones that I can think of that I enjoyed more would be naughty dog's games. Also it is worth noting that there were a few framerate issues but I didn't mind it, this game was awesome and I would definetly recommend it! It's like a lower production. Expand
  15. Oct 1, 2012
    A excellent third person shooter. Though it looks generic and mediocre at first glance, it has a lot of things which sets it apart from other third person shooters. The 'trust' system is a great addition to the genre, the story is brilliant and shooting robots never gets old.
  16. Dec 22, 2012
    Sad story of a brilliant game just not getting good enough advertisement.

Try it now you've finally heard of it, if you like cover shooters, you'll love it.
  17. Dec 31, 2013
    Binary Domain is a SLEEPER HIT THAT IS TOTALLY A HIDDEN GEM GAME ON THE PS3 SYSTEM!!! If YOU??? Are like me and has been craving to play a game with a intriguing thought provoking storyline; then THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!!! Too often today's games are based on their online play or multi-player aspect which is shame, because their enjoyment is only sustain by their sever support!!! Ask anyBinary Domain is a SLEEPER HIT THAT IS TOTALLY A HIDDEN GEM GAME ON THE PS3 SYSTEM!!! If YOU??? Are like me and has been craving to play a game with a intriguing thought provoking storyline; then THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!!! Too often today's games are based on their online play or multi-player aspect which is shame, because their enjoyment is only sustain by their sever support!!! Ask any old school gamer who played Phantasy Star 2 Online!!!

I mean, Binary Domain would easily be the best rated game on the PS3 System, if it wasn't for those HATERS giving it a Negative Review versus the overwhelming Positive Reviews at a 8 to 1 ratio for the Game!!! That speaks for itself...

This is a Beautiful Visual Game to play and the controls scheme does not hold back the enjoyment of playing the game as a Third Person Shooter... As, the gameplay does resemble "Gears of Wars" series and if you had not played "GOW" being a PS3 owner, then this will be your chance to get a taste of their combat gameplay!!!

The story is futuristic with a mixture of movies such as: 'I Robot" (2004) although not following the Three Laws of Robotics directives because these robots are trying to KILL YOU!!!, "Vexille" (2007) for displaying a Neo Japan that is isolated from the world & other factors to not give away key plotlines, with a taste of "Ronin" (1998) because there are a lot of action sequences that you will have to navigate throughout the game...

Another Great Video Game to OWN and Play after you BEAT Binary Domain would be "Alpha Protocol" (2010) that is also on the PS3, although the major criticism against it are for it's numerous game glitches!!! But, this should not in any other way tarnish otherwise a Brilliant Game with open game and "Hardy Boys" multi-endings!!!

Binary Domain is a Sophisticate game that story line may not be for the feeble minded causal gamer and YES I SAID IT!!!

18. Mar 2, 2012
    I was watching this game since it was announced and had very high hopes for it. I was expecting a 7-8 point tps that would help me with the wait for Mass Effect 3. But boy, this game is absolutely astounding ! Characters are great, voice acting is superb, graphics are nice, AI is responsive, voice commands work, a little joke here and there to lighten up the mood and one of the greatestI was watching this game since it was announced and had very high hopes for it. I was expecting a 7-8 point tps that would help me with the wait for Mass Effect 3. But boy, this game is absolutely astounding ! Characters are great, voice acting is superb, graphics are nice, AI is responsive, voice commands work, a little joke here and there to lighten up the mood and one of the greatest endings I have seen, period.
    If you enjoy TPS at least a little bit, you owe it to yourself to get it, since they don't even charge the usual 60 bucks for the game, but around 40.
  19. Feb 28, 2012
    Like Sci-Fi, robots or just a good action romp? Well you owe it to your self to play one of the must underrated cover shooters in a long time.

At first i thought it was just another gears of war cover shooter but after the initial disappointment i realized i was having a blast and couldn't put the game down. Often cheesy but always entertaining this game delivers the goods with the most

Often cheesy but always entertaining this game delivers the goods with the most satisfying shooting around! Mix in squad based commands via mic ( it actually works pretty well ) or buttons, a loyalty system where helping and talking to your team mates in the right way will make them more keen to follow your every word and even some light rpg mechanics with a nanomachine upgrade system and you are set for some good times.

Did i mention some of the most awesome and bad ass boss fights? Well theres that too.

Seriously just pick it up and give it an hour of your time before you judge, you wont be disappointed i promise.
  20. Feb 28, 2012
    An interesting and well directed story, good solid characters, a well balanced mix of humour and deepness that drive into suspense, an outstanding playability, the smoothness of controls, a superior AI, often above average graphics, the variety of scenarios, the ability to suck in the action and the best boss-fights ever seen since a long time now are just few of the reasons that makesAn interesting and well directed story, good solid characters, a well balanced mix of humour and deepness that drive into suspense, an outstanding playability, the smoothness of controls, a superior AI, often above average graphics, the variety of scenarios, the ability to suck in the action and the best boss-fights ever seen since a long time now are just few of the reasons that makes Binary Domain one of the best shot actually on the market, it's definitely worth the fee cause it's a real gem that will let play itself several time before letting you say "ok, now I definitely want Binary Domain 2". Few little things like some voice not always "perfect" at a given time, a sporadic repetitiveness of some teammates in few circumstances, or the smallness of some non-shooting areas doesn't scratch a bit the greatness of this game. Just do yourself a favour, it's a wonderful 2PS or "TPS", as good as GoW series if not even better, don't ruin it pick watching anything on the web, if you can think you could like the gender buy it blindfold, you will not be disappointed. I can highly recommend this game, I give it an overall 9,4 (better CG on PS3 but better controls and details on 360) cause it deserves it, happy robot wrecking to everyone...and thanks to you Nagoshi for this great game. Expand
  21. Feb 29, 2012
    Played the demo, all i can say: WOW! Great fantastic game, and its got perfect graphics. Runnings a little weird, but cool game all the way. People who rated it bad, are too stupid to know how to get past the enemies lol.
  22. Mar 16, 2012
    Gears Of War w/ better characters, better story, better boss battles.... only thing lacking is the multiplayer. Which doesn't matter because the campaign is excellent.
  23. Aug 7, 2012
    Binary Domain is a fairly mediocre Gears of War clone. The story is good but the characters, although like-able enough are extremely generic. Rugged muscle bound, wise cracking space marines with short hair and designer stubble is the order of the day here. The combat itself is the usual roll, duck and cover while popping out of cover to shoot an enemy then reload and repeat. The mainBinary Domain is a fairly mediocre Gears of War clone. The story is good but the characters, although like-able enough are extremely generic. Rugged muscle bound, wise cracking space marines with short hair and designer stubble is the order of the day here. The combat itself is the usual roll, duck and cover while popping out of cover to shoot an enemy then reload and repeat. The main problem with the combat is how your team mates keep walking into your line of fire then have the cheek to blame you for shooting them. The game is unfair in other areas as well, such as when you get knocked down and use a med kit. Before you can get to your feet to escape the AI will hit you again from off screen. There's also times when you will be fighting a mech but wont know whether or not your attacks are being effective.

There's plenty of online options but again nothing that you haven't seen done better in a million other shooters this generation. Overall fun but ultimately throwaway.
  24. Jan 6, 2013
    Brilliant game! Do not miss it! The gameplay is buttery smooth, making it very satisfying to blast apart robots. The characters are in-depth, interesting and likable. The graphics and art direction are superbly. The boss battles are huge and impressive, making them very satisfying to take out. But most of all, the story in Binary Domain is top notch. This game will keep you interested fromBrilliant game! Do not miss it! The gameplay is buttery smooth, making it very satisfying to blast apart robots. The characters are in-depth, interesting and likable. The graphics and art direction are superbly. The boss battles are huge and impressive, making them very satisfying to take out. But most of all, the story in Binary Domain is top notch. This game will keep you interested from start to finish. Expand
  25. Dec 1, 2013
    I'll keep this short. Terrible voice controls that keep insisting that you're cursing when you're not, terrible floaty controls, bland enemies, terrible gameplay sequences and terrible dialogue. Basically, Binary Domain is pretty terrible. There are too many great games and life is too short. Avoid and play something better instead.
  26. Mar 5, 2012
    Generic Shooter is Generic, however before kicking me in the ass, lets just say stereotypical characters isn't funny, The graphics on the other side are decent with the detail of enemies crumbling as you shoot them. Shooting is a bit "tight" but plays like Uncharted which is alright. Multiplayer? What?
  27. May 2, 2012
    Starting off my review, the command/dialogue system, good but with the options available it can get rather confusing what your actually saying and wondering why saying "you fool" is a dialogue option where it makes no sense(mic untested). Next character dialogue, meh, due to squad combat dialogue just doesn't seem right or got lost in translation, but cutscenes are good. Yes the cutscenes,Starting off my review, the command/dialogue system, good but with the options available it can get rather confusing what your actually saying and wondering why saying "you fool" is a dialogue option where it makes no sense(mic untested). Next character dialogue, meh, due to squad combat dialogue just doesn't seem right or got lost in translation, but cutscenes are good. Yes the cutscenes, good for story but being japanese there can tend to be about 3 before you get back to actual gameplay, and have better graphics than actual gameplay. Graphics, good, it isn't battlefield 3, but they are pretty standard graphics of the last few years.
    Audio, okay, but guns just don't sound right when you listen to them, otherwise fine, nice soundtrack. Gameplay, a rather standard third person shooter (find cover and shoot from there), upgrading weapons/customising nanomachines is boring(leveling up), the trust meter is a strange thing, leveled up with headshots/one hit kills/melee kills and agreeing with your team. Team commands, I found on the last boss fight my team member refused to revive another making me use up MY medkits to get them to just go down after a few seconds. Otherwise campaign is good however incredibly short. (Total for Campaign8/10-length)
    Now the multiplayer, utterly and completely mind-blowing at how it's dissapointing. After a good campaign I thought I'd try multiplayer(about 2months after release), hardly anybody online and 85% are Japanese(maybe Chinese the writting all looks the same to me), a poor attempt at multiplayer filled with max level people and it's incredibly unbalanced. So final decision on this game overall good but not great due to length and sub-standard multiplayer and low replayability of campaign.

Yes a big fat 5 best describes binary domain.
    RECOMMENDED AS RENTAL ONLY(unless on sale).
  28. Sep 23, 2012
    Overall, Binary Domain is a fine game. It blatantly rips off GoW but thats not so bad. My problem with this game is its very "generic" there is nothing new here, and the ability to "communicate" with your team seems useless, at least to me. The controls are tight, the graphics are good, and the story is well done. yet everything here has been done before and in some cases done better. ifOverall, Binary Domain is a fine game. It blatantly rips off GoW but thats not so bad. My problem with this game is its very "generic" there is nothing new here, and the ability to "communicate" with your team seems useless, at least to me. The controls are tight, the graphics are good, and the story is well done. yet everything here has been done before and in some cases done better. if your looking for another shooter to play for the weekend this may fit the bill but don't buy it, rent it instead. Fun in small doses, boring after an hour or two. Expand
  29. Feb 18, 2015
    This game is like an interactive 1980's action movie, all the way down to the paper-thin characters and the constant explosions.

When it tries to be over-the-top and silly, it really works. When there are extended sequences of dialogue or the game tries to address serious subject, it falls flat. I appreciate the attempts at depth, but this game has the subtlety of a Michael Bay movie and all of the cultural sensitivity of a John Wayne film.

When you’ve got gunfighting down, stick to the gunfights.
  30. Feb 14, 2014
    BY FAR one of the worst games I have played in awhile. I made an account on here just to share my disbelief at how high a score this has. I played it for free on PS+ and gave it about an hour of my time. The story and voice acting is corny. Here are some key points on why I will never play anything by this studio ever again.

-The AI team mates complain when you shoot them but will

-The AI team mates complain when you shoot them but will constantly run in front of you causing you to lose vital "trust points" for shooting them.
    -Linear levels with very little variety
    -Graphics are ugly
    -Terrible shooter mechanics

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Every single thing that Binary Domain offers has already been done, and done better elsewhere. [June 2012, p.66]
  2. Apr 27, 2012
    For shooter fans craving something with a little more substance, Binary Domain is definitely the ticket. Behind its hokey yet self-aware characters and stereotypical premise is a hugely intelligent shooter, one that packs just as much heart as it does brawn.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Apr 3, 2012
    It's a shame the idiotic A.I. and hit-and-miss recognition spoil it, turning this into a merely "solid" shooter. [May 2012, p.79]