8.1

1. Apr 16, 2012
    Binary Domain is an interesting beast. Whereas Yakuza: Dead Souls was still uniquely Japanese in flavor and has endured some criticism of its TPS mechanics as a result, Binary Domain is a Western-style shooter with some added elements that its Japanese developers must have thought would enhance the typical TPS experience. The result is surprisingly effective and enjoyable.

Yas, if

Yas, if your team is the one who localized Binary Domain, I need to give you some serious commendations. The script, the voicework, and the crisp presentation are all high-caliber. The same love and care that obviously went into the localization for Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls are here, but the addition of a great English dub makes it even more impressive (not that I would EVER want the Yakuza games to be voiced in English again, mind you).

That being said, Binary Domain is still quite different than its Yakuza brethren. It's a lot more linear, and the gimmicky voice command and relationship systems don't work that well most times. The multiplayer is also pretty mediocre, but the single-player campaign is far more enjoyable than any standard Western shooter that I've played in the last few years. The constant banter between teammates, the well-conceived story, the atmospheric locales, the variety of gameplay, the brilliant mechanical designs, and the satisfaction of blowing pieces off of the enemy bots all combine for some compelling gameplay and replay value. The enemies are fairly intelligent and can be quite difficult to take down, which contributes to a sense of real achievement. Menus and interface components are streamlined and user-friendly, and the auto-save/checkpoint system is about as perfect as you could ever hope to have. You never need to worry about losing progress or screwing up a save file, career profiles, hard saves vs. quicksaves, or any of the other aggravations that seem to pop up in Western shooter campaigns.

Also, the plethora of upgrades, crafting options, item pickups, and shop offerings still feel like they benefited from Yakuza's pedigree. And like Yakuza, you actually start to understand and genuinely care about the characters, even if they do seem painfully stereotypical and forgettable in the first couple hours. I love the way that minor puzzles, mini-games, and QTE-esque rail sequences keep the shooter combat from feeling repetitive, and the quality cutscenes are lengthy but don't overstay their welcome. Players can also approach objectives in a variety of ways. NPC squad members might suggest an action to take down the enemy, but you are still welcome to do it your own way, to which they will sometimes reply "nevermind" in a comical way. The script is perfectly balanced, too, throwing in some clever humor amidst the intense drama of the narrative. It tackles some difficult existential material at times, so the occasional comic relief is certainly appreciated.

If there is one thing that I could say is a missed opportunity, though, it's the linear structure of the game. While shooters normally ARE linear and it may not bother a majority of players, I feel like Binary Domain would have been a more stand-out title if it had allowed you to approach mission content and objectives in a more free-roaming fashion. I didn't expect the game to be a Mass Effect contender or anything, but if you were able to set up a base camp as you moved through Tokyo and handle secondary objectives freely before moving to the next hot spot, perhaps even selecting your teammates to supplement your abilities in each scenario, it probably would have made better use of the relationship system and customization that the game touts. Still, this is just wishful thinking, and perhaps the devs will consider that if Binary Domain 2 ever becomes a possibility. Otherwise, the major gripes that you will hear in reviews for this game are focused on the lack of multiplayer options. Sure, the mainstays are present, though not original or revolutionary by any stretch, and there is no campaign co-op. And that's a shame, since it could've garnered Binary Domain some much-deserved attention from critics and players alike.

The bottom line is this - Binary Domain is, surprisingly, one of the best third-person shooters we've received in the seventh generation, if only for its meaty single-player campaign. Unfortunately, the game wasn't marketed very well for its American release, and many gamers may overlook it assuming that it's just a generic throw-away title. In actuality, even the best Western TPS franchises could learn from Binary Domain's stellar presentation and localized script. I would encourage ever Yakuza fan, shooter fan, or general action gamer to give Binary Domain a shot, and you may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of its experience.
  2. Aug 2, 2012
    I'm pretty surprised by the low scores this game has received by the critics. This is a game with an interesting storyline, likeable characters (even if a bit stereotyped), exciting set-pieces including some epic boss battles and with no really big flaws in it. The controls don't feel as tight as other games such as uncharted or gow but work perfectly. I've heard that voice commands aren'tI'm pretty surprised by the low scores this game has received by the critics. This is a game with an interesting storyline, likeable characters (even if a bit stereotyped), exciting set-pieces including some epic boss battles and with no really big flaws in it. The controls don't feel as tight as other games such as uncharted or gow but work perfectly. I've heard that voice commands aren't recognised as good as they should but that's an optional feature and in any case, a feature that most games don't even have. The only real flaws i can think of are just the framerate dips (easily noticeable on the bigger battles) and its multiplayer lacking players.
    If you like third person shooters not only for their multiplayer this is a must. If you don't, then convince some friends to get the game aswell.
  3. Mar 10, 2012
    I'm actually shocked with how good this game is. Think of it as Uncharted meets Gears of War meets Front Mission meets Mass Effect. It's something like this. To put it simple: this game is AWESOME. I was surprised. Small publicity, bad cover, I mean, it looked like one of these games no one cares. But I decided to give it a chance. Great graphics (although occasionally meh), great story,I'm actually shocked with how good this game is. Think of it as Uncharted meets Gears of War meets Front Mission meets Mass Effect. It's something like this. To put it simple: this game is AWESOME. I was surprised. Small publicity, bad cover, I mean, it looked like one of these games no one cares. But I decided to give it a chance. Great graphics (although occasionally meh), great story, great characters, fun, perfect gameplay with may surprises on the way. THIS GAME MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2012
    Just got it today, only played the first mission and a little of the second chapter and so far it's exactly what most people are saying, wonderful & awesome game. Pick up if you get a chance, especially if you are a shooter/action fan.
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    Great game with a superb story.The interaction between the characters is believable and sometimes humorous. You can choose reply options that can hurt or help the trust between yourself and your teammates and effect the endings.The sci-fi setting is really well done and looks clean and sharp throughout. In some of the areas there is a break from the action and you can walk around and speakGreat game with a superb story.The interaction between the characters is believable and sometimes humorous. You can choose reply options that can hurt or help the trust between yourself and your teammates and effect the endings.The sci-fi setting is really well done and looks clean and sharp throughout. In some of the areas there is a break from the action and you can walk around and speak with NPCs. I think that the best way to describe this game is like a great book...you want to keep going because the story builds into it's greatness but you also realize that by progressing you're moving closer to the end of a great adventure...if that makes sense.The best testament to this game is to just try to find someone who finished it and didn't like it,...I'm not talking of professional reviewers who sometimes don't even complete the game before passing judgement, but just regular people who have played it..check the forums of regular gaming sites and you'll see the love for this game. In fact this is the only game I've ever written a review for because I felt it was that good and more people should know about this game. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Binary domain is a great game with a great history, frenetic action shooter, great graphics with some a la vanquish style, the early begginning maybe some railroad prograssion but everything else is good, higly recomended, only real bad thing is the frame rate in some parts, but you can deal with it
  7. Mar 2, 2012
    I was watching this game since it was announced and had very high hopes for it. I was expecting a 7-8 point tps that would help me with the wait for Mass Effect 3. But boy, this game is absolutely astounding ! Characters are great, voice acting is superb, graphics are nice, AI is responsive, voice commands work, a little joke here and there to lighten up the mood and one of the greatestI was watching this game since it was announced and had very high hopes for it. I was expecting a 7-8 point tps that would help me with the wait for Mass Effect 3. But boy, this game is absolutely astounding ! Characters are great, voice acting is superb, graphics are nice, AI is responsive, voice commands work, a little joke here and there to lighten up the mood and one of the greatest endings I have seen, period.
    If you enjoy TPS at least a little bit, you owe it to yourself to get it, since they don't even charge the usual 60 bucks for the game, but around 40.
  8. Feb 28, 2012
    Like Sci-Fi, robots or just a good action romp? Well you owe it to your self to play one of the must underrated cover shooters in a long time.

At first i thought it was just another gears of war cover shooter but after the initial disappointment i realized i was having a blast and couldn't put the game down. Often cheesy but always entertaining this game delivers the goods with the most

Often cheesy but always entertaining this game delivers the goods with the most satisfying shooting around! Mix in squad based commands via mic ( it actually works pretty well ) or buttons, a loyalty system where helping and talking to your team mates in the right way will make them more keen to follow your every word and even some light rpg mechanics with a nanomachine upgrade system and you are set for some good times.

Did i mention some of the most awesome and bad ass boss fights? Well theres that too.

Seriously just pick it up and give it an hour of your time before you judge, you wont be disappointed i promise.
  9. Feb 28, 2012
    An interesting and well directed story, good solid characters, a well balanced mix of humour and deepness that drive into suspense, an outstanding playability, the smoothness of controls, a superior AI, often above average graphics, the variety of scenarios, the ability to suck in the action and the best boss-fights ever seen since a long time now are just few of the reasons that makesAn interesting and well directed story, good solid characters, a well balanced mix of humour and deepness that drive into suspense, an outstanding playability, the smoothness of controls, a superior AI, often above average graphics, the variety of scenarios, the ability to suck in the action and the best boss-fights ever seen since a long time now are just few of the reasons that makes Binary Domain one of the best shot actually on the market, it's definitely worth the fee cause it's a real gem that will let play itself several time before letting you say "ok, now I definitely want Binary Domain 2". Few little things like some voice not always "perfect" at a given time, a sporadic repetitiveness of some teammates in few circumstances, or the smallness of some non-shooting areas doesn't scratch a bit the greatness of this game. Just do yourself a favour, it's a wonderful 2PS or "TPS", as good as GoW series if not even better, don't ruin it pick watching anything on the web, if you can think you could like the gender buy it blindfold, you will not be disappointed. I can highly recommend this game, I give it an overall 9,4 (better CG on PS3 but better controls and details on 360) cause it deserves it, happy robot wrecking to everyone...and thanks to you Nagoshi for this great game. Expand
  10. Feb 29, 2012
    Played the demo, all i can say: WOW! Great fantastic game, and its got perfect graphics. Runnings a little weird, but cool game all the way. People who rated it bad, are too stupid to know how to get past the enemies lol.
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    Brilliant game! Do not miss it! The gameplay is buttery smooth, making it very satisfying to blast apart robots. The characters are in-depth, interesting and likable. The graphics and art direction are superbly. The boss battles are huge and impressive, making them very satisfying to take out. But most of all, the story in Binary Domain is top notch. This game will keep you interested fromBrilliant game! Do not miss it! The gameplay is buttery smooth, making it very satisfying to blast apart robots. The characters are in-depth, interesting and likable. The graphics and art direction are superbly. The boss battles are huge and impressive, making them very satisfying to take out. But most of all, the story in Binary Domain is top notch. This game will keep you interested from start to finish. Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    Gears Of War w/ better characters, better story, better boss battles.... only thing lacking is the multiplayer. Which doesn't matter because the campaign is excellent.
  13. May 3, 2012
    If you like 'gears of war' style games you'll like the feel of Binary Domain. If you like films like 'I, Robot' Bladerunner, Screamers, or Mecha cartoons, or even the new Capricia/BattlestarGalactica TV series, then you'll like the story line and grahics. The plot is full of holes, but I didn't care, I was having too much fun blasting holes in rebelling robots. Its a great game - I endedIf you like 'gears of war' style games you'll like the feel of Binary Domain. If you like films like 'I, Robot' Bladerunner, Screamers, or Mecha cartoons, or even the new Capricia/BattlestarGalactica TV series, then you'll like the story line and grahics. The plot is full of holes, but I didn't care, I was having too much fun blasting holes in rebelling robots. Its a great game - I ended up enjoying it more than Gears 3 - but then I really liked 'I, Robot'. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    The most fun I've had playing a game for about, oooh, a few years? It's brilliant. Don't understand the 'meh' attitude from the game press. Sure, it's not original, but the gameplay is amazing fun the whole way through, it never gets dull, and its story is the best I've seen in a game for a long time.

Game of the Year contender for me, no question!!! I really hope these guys are planning a sequel...
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    I bought SXX, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and got a third free - Binary Domain. For me the best arcade shooter on PS3 (similar to Gears of War on 360).
    Neotokyo style + good graphic + simple controls + dynamic action + typical Japanese storyline :) you just enjoy playing it without getting bored.
    really need to appreciate this perfect game and to support the artists by buying the game.
  16. Dec 2, 2013
    Binary Domain certainly has its faults (the dreadful cover art is definitely one of them), but it feels more original than many games I've played. I'm honestly not a huge Third Person Shooter fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Binary Domain. With many TPS the controls feel clunky, but Binary Domain's controls feel quick, fluid, and natural. The gameplay is rock solid. The sound of metal onBinary Domain certainly has its faults (the dreadful cover art is definitely one of them), but it feels more original than many games I've played. I'm honestly not a huge Third Person Shooter fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Binary Domain. With many TPS the controls feel clunky, but Binary Domain's controls feel quick, fluid, and natural. The gameplay is rock solid. The sound of metal on metal as your rounds splinter off android armor is satisfying. Annoyed that some video games take half a dozen shots to take down a human enemy? Well in this game every bullet counts as you'll peel off enemy android armor depending on where you place your shots. You also get more money for head shots, type of enemy, etc. in which you can use to buy upgrades. The battling never gets old. There are plenty of boss battles, quicktime events, etc. that keep the game varied. A thrilling story that initially seems bland like most games, but as it progresses it propels into one that Sci-Fi greats like Isaac Asimov would appreciate. The setting/environments are definitely above average. The entire atmosphere of the game is one that adds to its quality. One thing this game does exceptionally well is the banter between the squad mates during gameplay. They are continuously chatting making it actually feel like you are in a squad instead of playing a videogame with AI teammates. There are a few issues. One is the commands. Some responses just simply don't make sense. Additionally, some of the lines your squad uses was insanely repetitive (more prevalent in the beginning) that happens so often in videogames. Sometimes your squad mates feel completely useless. Next, the boss battles are frustrating. You'll be on the ground for most of them as it is way too easy to get knocked down and your health depletes far too quickly. Expand
  17. May 8, 2012
    I bought this game with the expectation that it would be mediocre at best. Sega don't have the best track record when it comes to shooters and Alpha Protocol did nothing to inspire confidence. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered just how well they've done with Binary Domain. The graphics are a wonderful, detailed affair - Sega got it spot-on with the limb destructionI bought this game with the expectation that it would be mediocre at best. Sega don't have the best track record when it comes to shooters and Alpha Protocol did nothing to inspire confidence. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered just how well they've done with Binary Domain. The graphics are a wonderful, detailed affair - Sega got it spot-on with the limb destruction on the various robots. There were times I felt like I was in the middle of a Terminator movie. Unfortunately, this also extends to some of the cheesy lines: Sega have made a multicultural team of squadmates, but fallen into the trap of making some of their lines very stereotypical. That's not to say the characters aren't well written; they most certainly are, but a lot of the depth is revealed towards the middle and end of the game. What seems like a one-dimensional rag-tag bunch turns out to be something much different.

The music is atmospheric, neither standing out or fading away. It serves its purpose, highlighting the tone of each area or set piece, but I wouldn't shell out for the OST. Where Binary Domain really excels is the gameplay and story. Being a fan of Gears of War, I was always hungry for more depth; Binary Domain does this brilliantly. The player is morally and philosophically challenged at several points over the span of the game, but never loses its sense of pace. Every run-and-gun moment is offset with conversation, occasional "rest points", then straight back into the action. The set pieces are varied and universally fun, with mixes of advanced QTEs and interactive cutscenes, many more than I had expected to see. Despite being set geographically in only one location, the game does a good job of making you feel as though you're progressing.

I wouldn't say Binary Domain is perfect, but it's much better than the Critic Metascore gives it credit for. It's such a shame that this might be seen as a failure, because I would love to see Sega rewarded for making such a wonderful game.
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    Great game, the story is amazing. I was skeptical at first but after watching the amazing trailer, I started playing it. The story is amazing, the character have great chemistry. They can be very humorious and serious which goes to show the voice acting is spot on. The feel of the weapons are great, especially when you shoot robot limb from limb. You can also upgrade the weapons addingGreat game, the story is amazing. I was skeptical at first but after watching the amazing trailer, I started playing it. The story is amazing, the character have great chemistry. They can be very humorious and serious which goes to show the voice acting is spot on. The feel of the weapons are great, especially when you shoot robot limb from limb. You can also upgrade the weapons adding a little RPG element to the game. The biggest problem is the voice command support, Yelling"stop" and having the computer translate it as "charge" is beyond me. I stopped using the mic for squad commands and used button commands instead. Expand
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    Sad story of a brilliant game just not getting good enough advertisement.

Try it now you've finally heard of it, if you like cover shooters, you'll love it.
  20. Dec 31, 2013
    Binary Domain is a SLEEPER HIT THAT IS TOTALLY A HIDDEN GEM GAME ON THE PS3 SYSTEM!!! If YOU??? Are like me and has been craving to play a game with a intriguing thought provoking storyline; then THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!!! Too often today's games are based on their online play or multi-player aspect which is shame, because their enjoyment is only sustain by their sever support!!! Ask anyBinary Domain is a SLEEPER HIT THAT IS TOTALLY A HIDDEN GEM GAME ON THE PS3 SYSTEM!!! If YOU??? Are like me and has been craving to play a game with a intriguing thought provoking storyline; then THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!!! Too often today's games are based on their online play or multi-player aspect which is shame, because their enjoyment is only sustain by their sever support!!! Ask any old school gamer who played Phantasy Star 2 Online!!!

I mean, Binary Domain would easily be the best rated game on the PS3 System, if it wasn't for those HATERS giving it a Negative Review versus the overwhelming Positive Reviews at a 8 to 1 ratio for the Game!!! That speaks for itself...

This is a Beautiful Visual Game to play and the controls scheme does not hold back the enjoyment of playing the game as a Third Person Shooter... As, the gameplay does resemble "Gears of Wars" series and if you had not played "GOW" being a PS3 owner, then this will be your chance to get a taste of their combat gameplay!!!

The story is futuristic with a mixture of movies such as: 'I Robot" (2004) although not following the Three Laws of Robotics directives because these robots are trying to KILL YOU!!!, "Vexille" (2007) for displaying a Neo Japan that is isolated from the world & other factors to not give away key plotlines, with a taste of "Ronin" (1998) because there are a lot of action sequences that you will have to navigate throughout the game...

Another Great Video Game to OWN and Play after you BEAT Binary Domain would be "Alpha Protocol" (2010) that is also on the PS3, although the major criticism against it are for it's numerous game glitches!!! But, this should not in any other way tarnish otherwise a Brilliant Game with open game and "Hardy Boys" multi-endings!!!

Binary Domain is a Sophisticate game that story line may not be for the feeble minded causal gamer and YES I SAID IT!!!

21. Dec 23, 2014
    Uhuhu, i loved this one! I seriously loved every aspect of this game! Good graphics, good characters, good level design, good story and battling huge robots never gets old for me! For me one of the best games for the PS3!

1. May 14, 2012
    Every single thing that Binary Domain offers has already been done, and done better elsewhere. [June 2012, p.66]
  2. Apr 27, 2012
    For shooter fans craving something with a little more substance, Binary Domain is definitely the ticket. Behind its hokey yet self-aware characters and stereotypical premise is a hugely intelligent shooter, one that packs just as much heart as it does brawn.
  3. It's a shame the idiotic A.I. and hit-and-miss recognition spoil it, turning this into a merely "solid" shooter. [May 2012, p.79]