8.4

1. Mar 26, 2013
    It's so different to the first Bioshock, yet so similar at the same time. It does everything right, great story, amazing graphics and combat, and if anybody's having second thoughts about buying it because they're worried about Elizabeth being annoying, that's not an issue at all. She adds so much to an already fantastic game. Just buy it already!
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    Already a contender for GOTY. Gorgeous and unbelievable are understatements. Not only is this game the best in the series, i might put it as one of the best games this decade.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a true contender for Game of the Year. From the gorgeous graphics and the addictive game play and the smooth controls makes this one of the best video games of all time in my books if you have never played Bioshock I strongly recommend you go and buy it once you play the first few minutes of Bioshock you will be hooked on these amazing games.
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    This game basically fixes all the problems the last two Bioshock games had for me. Primarily the clunky combat system has been improved to the point I look forward to fighting enemies. Also while the game is quite linear (more so than maybe the other Bioshock games) I think its a good thing. I never felt overwhelmed or lost in this game. The interaction with Elizabeth is great (they did a great job with this difficult task) and adds a bit more depth to the story and action sequences. The graphics are gorgeous, but its not because of it requiring super high tech video cards, its because the art design and lightning are so good. The music and sounds are really well done. The storyline is done really well with great characterisation and pacing.

I don't like how the game saves as you have to reach certain points for it to save otherwise if you have to leave while playing you have to backtrack a bit. Overall an amazing game that deserves a perfect score!
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    A fantastic combination of brilliant story telling, beautiful graphics and great character development. It's not just that though, making America look like a roman utopia in the sky mixed with space and time manipulation just blows your mind and this is coming from a lover of history and imagination, you must play this game as you would a film you will enjoy it I guarantee it.
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. brilliant. masterpiece. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    A game such as this comes once in a generation, and very few times in a lifetime. True Master craft worked with the biggest love and attention, from music to visuals, it was an incredible pleasure. The story in particular is the work of genius, it will have you thinking for days after you've finished it. Never has a game had such an incredible story and characters that can stir some deep emotions inside of you. Thank you Irrational. Unforgettable. Expand
  9. Mar 27, 2013
    I was never a huge Bioshock fan but I did I enjoy the first two games so I decided to try Bioshock infinite since everyone was saying how incredible it was,and I can honestly say that those people are so right.everything about infinite is perfect,infinite has a great story and great cast of characters,the gameplay is fun and keeps you on you're feet,the graphics are very and I mean very impressive.if you enjoy fops games this is for you,and if you enjoy great games,Bioshock infinite is right up you're alley. Expand
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    An amazing game, the story is the best thing in it. It's like you're reading this great book and you just cant wait to see what will happened in the end, and believe me it will blow your mind.
    You don't judge a book by its cover or the print quality (graphics,action,stealth etc..) you judge it by it's story and this one will pull you in and you'll want more.
  11. Mar 26, 2013
    Simply an awesome game in every way I know the graphics aren't as good as the pc version but they are still absolutely stunning this game already deserves the goty get off your butts right now and go buy this superb game you will not regret it
  12. Apr 5, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal game. From the very beginning you can tell the story will be very deep and involved and that would be a correct assumption. The gameplay is on another level from anything i've ever played. From flying through the sky with full control of combat options without any kind of apparent processing or graphical hiccups, to keeping classic Bioshock elements such as "plasmids," Infinite delivers without disappointment.

Those rating this game low, while I acknowledge everyone is entitled to their own opinion, must have unsatisfiable expectations for their games and I would personally like to know what they consider even an "8" because in every way, shape and form, Infinite is far above any numerical rating provided by Metacritic.
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    I have played tons of games, probably more than 99% of the people my age and I can say without a doubt in mind that this is one of the most beautifully crafted stories I've ever played. Elizabeth is probably the strongest performance I've seen in at least 10 years for a female character and Booker is probably just as good. The ending comes out of nowhere and I can promise you, you will not see the twist coming.

Shooting mechanics are improved from the previous games and are right up there with other first person shooters but some of the other game play variables are just a little off. For example, I feel the skyhook was misused and I feel a couple of the special abilities were useless or repetitive. Elizabeth's ability to bring tears into combat felt underwhelming and I don't think they capitalized fully with this opportunity

These couple qualms though are easily overlook because the story, characters and environment are simply amazing. I can't believe how close I felt to Booker and Elizabeth and I can't believe how shocked I was when I saw the ending. This is a MUST PLAY.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    An awe-inspiring rollercoster with a captivating narrative about a younger beautiful maiden and a mysterious man

First off, Bioshock Infinite is much more of a spiritual successor to System Shock and the original Bioshock. There is game play similarities but it is not in the same cannon so say. In a time when all that seems to be released is first person shooters, it is hard to come by
    a game that does something not only unique, but engaging. But Bioshock Infinite does exactly this. Not only will the game blow your mind from combat options, crisp controls and some of the best first-person shooting around, but it does all of this while having an impressive narrative. Bioshock Infinite will leave you in awe after your play through, and it will keep you engaged the whole way through. And when the adventure ends, it will leave the same sort of impact as Shadow of the Colossus and Journey. Bioshock Infinite feels like a classic poetic story, much like "The Raven By Engnor Allen Poe" to be honest. Video games so desperately need the "poetic" feel that Bioshock Infinite has. -A young, insecure woman who wants to find a new destiny
    -A mysterious man who knows nothing of his past.
    -A story that unravels around the two main character, with the best character development I have ever witnessed before in any medium. Bioshock Infinite is on par with Heath Leger's preformance of the Joker from "Dark Knight" in terms of character development. If you are reading this review, wondering if it is a game that you would like to pick up, I would highly recomment it. This is a beautiful experience in its own right, and it sets a standard for all First-shooters to come. Whether you pick up Bioshock Infinite now or later in the future once it gets a price drop, do yourself a favor and get lost in the world of the game. Whether you study games like myself or just play them for fun and enjoyment, or if you are an artist, looking for a new medium to engage with. I will repeat: give Bioshock Infinite a try

+ Amazing Narrative
    +Addictive and meaningful gameplay
    +Beautiful and unraveling world through characters, enviroment and story
    +You will most likely want to replay through the game Final Score 98/100
  15. Mar 29, 2013
    This is the defining game of the generation. The swansong of these consoles. It is the culmination of the vast improvement in story telling over the last few years. Yes the gameplay is great and varied. Yes the graphics and visuals are superb. But its the arc of the story and the epic, mind blowing conclusion which will ensure that this game will be remembered for years to come. Ken Levine and his team at Irrational once again prove that they are at the pinnacle of story telling in video games. This story deals with many important issues such as racism, social structure, the power of religion and the science of the time (including the applications of it.) When trying to demonstrate the art form that is video games, this shall be the prime example. Expand
  16. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is beautiful. Even though the console port does leave some textures muddy, they're hard to notice. The gameplay is quick and seamless as you ride Skylines and pounce or your enemies or escape to a higher vantage point to plan your attack. It is a big improvement over the somewhat sluggish controls of Bioshock 1 and 2.

Elizabeth's AI is incredible, landing you a hand in battle
    whenever she can by finding ammo, Salt (EVE), health, and money (outside of combat).
    She never gets in your way and requires 0 babysitting. She is the best companion AI of any game made yet, and she is very likeable and not a damsel in distress.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire 12 hours it took me. I was so intrigued by everything going on and I just wanted to find out what the twist was. This game delivered. It left me thinking afterwards for a long time about it and the previous games.

Bioshock: Infinite is an extremely well polished, and artful, masterpiece. I'll be damned surprised if it does not win Video Game of the Year. it deserves it.
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. The first moment you see Columbia will floor you. The combat is tense and extremely satisfying, the characters feel amazingly real, the story is beautiful, and the setting is astonishing. Just buy it. You won't regret it.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an instant classic. It may look different than the underwater utopia of Rapture that we have all come to know and love, but Columbia has its own charm. It's interesting to walk around and take in the sights or just explore the floating city in the clouds. The streets are full of life and personality. The colors are bright and vivid, the visuals are spectacular. Bioshock as a series sets itself apart though its compelling narrative and themes, Infinite remains true to the series. The combat is fun and the new vigors are fun to use, however I miss the weapon wheel from the previous titles. There's not much else to say without spoiling the experience so just go buy it and enjoy! Expand
  19. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is simply BEAUTIFUL! I was so drawn in and immersed in this universe that i couldn't stop playing. The graphics, the world, the story is all amazing. It has been a while since I have felt this way about a game and been in awe. The story is great with a killer ending that will leave you thinking for a while. When the big plot twisted hits its a wow moment for sure. Buy this game and you will not be disappointed, a real treat! Expand
  20. Mar 31, 2013
    Forget Game of the Year, one of the greatest games of all-time has arrived. It doesn't push gameplay boundaries (although the gameplay is fantastic, fast and fun, with some great "playground"-style battlegrounds all throughout), the graphics aren't revolutionary (though beautiful, don't expect next-gen just yet), and the pacing is a bit off (depends on how you play, really), this is one of the greatest stories ever told in the annals of videogamedom. An absolute mind destroyer of storytelling, intricate and well-plotted, unforgettabel characters, a fully-relaized alternate history, and that ending! Ken Levine and the entire team at Irrational Games can retire, right now. You have my permission. Don't, please, games would suffer without you. But, have a cigar. Take a vacation. You've earned it. Expand
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    My faith in video games was restored by this game. The constant release of trash titles was seriously affecting my purchases to the point where for the past 2 years I've bought 3 console games. The in game world is beautiful and immersing as the previous Bioshock games were. With the change of scenery I was skeptical, but what a surprise it was to find that the world played along with the story very nicely. The story is gripping, twisting and turning always leaving you with questions that you are never sure will be answered. However, be prepared; there are fewer choices to be made as this tale is more linear than the previous games. Not much of a negative though since there are still plenty of choices to be made. If you are a fan of the first 2 and are open to new ideas, this game is a MUST buy for you. Expand
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! They managed to do EVERYTHING Right! I got a good 16 hours out of this game, If your thinking about buying this game, DO IT, You wont regret it!
  23. Mar 26, 2013
    Haven't finished it yet but I am 3 hours in and I already know that this game delivers. It is absolutely stunningly beautiful and very fun. I wouldn't be surprised if this wins game of the year. It is very hard to put down.
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    One of the best games this gen, and best FPS. GOTY for sure. The story is amazing and a amazing twist. the graphics are top notch and voice acting is top notch.
  25. Apr 5, 2013
    This is everything we hoped it would be and more. Far exceeded my expectations. Those giving it a low score need to take a good hard look at what they're implying by giving this game a 0 or 2 etc. Infinite is far above the maximum score of 10 we're allowed to give.
  26. Mar 30, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is definitely one of the greatest games I've played in the last few years, and I'm having a tough time discerning whether I like this better than the original or not. Even in 720p, the graphics look stunning. The controls are possibly the tightest in the entire series. The story-line is a lot more narrative than the original game, and despite the linearity never gets boring. To give this game any negative reviews because of its lack of multiplayer is to deny what should be the greatest part of any game experience like this: A solid campaign that makes the player want to pick up their controller to play again. If anything, the game could have used a bit more length. However, at the same time there is so much to see in the virtual game world of Columbia that additional content might not be necessary for a little while.

In short, everyone who considers themselves a gamer should find some way to play BioShock Infinite, because it's definitely Game of the Year material.
  27. Mar 28, 2013
    This game became the my favorite game of all time. Its hard to say whats good about this game without spoiling it. Just play it all the way through, you will appreciate it the more you play it.
  28. Apr 5, 2013
    Not since Resident Evil 4, have I been this anxious to replay a game, and it was this second
    playthrough that absolutely convinced me that Bioshock Infinite is a modern classic.Cerebral
    and intriguing, the gripping, suspenseful story is hauntingly memorable.Though the combat
    was great fun, I couldn't help but wish that enemy AI had been more challenging and varied
    with perhaps a
    greater stealth component. Still, a diamond of a game that truly resonates. Expand
  29. Apr 2, 2013
    Having waited for this game for nearly 3 years i had a-lot of expectations pressuring this game. but unlike uncharted 3 i was not disappointed. living up to the amazing story telling you would expect from irrational games, infinite is a truly moving story. most notably for me is the brilliance in the AI. enemies will chase you around the sky and flank you on your cover giving the game a more hurried and desperate fighting scene. but the game evens out with an amazing AI partner. steering away from the usual robotic stuck in a corner, cannot continue until they move nuisance. the game brings a natural feeling and helpful character, allowing the game to move fluidly and add a new energy to combat.

But the game is not without its faults. despite being branded a Bioshock game, the game felt alienated from the previous installments. the vigors (plasmids) felt unearned when they where simply found about, instead of saving precious ADAM to purchase. every encounter with enemies was forced, unlike the careful decision to upset a big daddy for the chance of gaining resources. and even adding a voice to the main protagonist shifted this great game from its original feeling. but the most important change was the addition of magic. for me an unwelcome change to the world of Bioshock. these tears in reality being opened by a girl made the game too surreal. previous Bioshock games maintained a fantasy element but grounded it in an unseen science. it was believably unbelievable. giving a possible scientific outcome when great minds work together free from government control, but no such explanation was given in infinite.

despite the differences from its underwater brothers this game is still amazing. an evolution in story telling i wish more games would adapt. and when considered on its own is clearly a game to remember.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    FANTASTIC game. In all my years of gaming this easily takes the cake as one of the best games I've ever played. Fun fighting mechanics as well as an addicting story always craving more. The scripting of this game is incredible! If I could, I'd give it an 11/10 I would.
  31. Apr 2, 2013
    Ken Levine and company amaze once again in this installment of BioShock. They did an excellent job in flushing out the characters, especially Elizabeth. She reminded me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast my favorite Disney movie which increased my desire to protect her. That being said, you don't actually have to protect her. In combat she doesn't take damage and never gets focused by enemies. It certainly makes the game easier as she runs around freely finding you ammo, salts, and health as you fight without having to worry of her getting killed. Personally I would have liked to make her more part of each battle and scenario, creating that need/want to ensure her safety much like TWD: The Game did with Clem. That aside the writers did exceptionally well making me care for her regardless. It's nice to finally see a big title game with a superbly crafted story (the ending is mind blowing, in my opinion). Where as so many big companies with movies and games (i. e. Blizzard) give the story a back seat in favor of flashy cinematics and graphics. Personally I want a rich story where I give a damn what's happening to the people and things inside that world. I cannot stress enough how BioShock Infinite succeeds in that. The gameplay itself is fun using magic and guns to take down your enemies and the introduction of the skylines are a nice new mechanic, certainly no complaints there either. With promised DLC coming and the season pass already in store (you get added goodies for signing up early) this is how games should be done. I can't wait to see what the season pass brings to the table in this astonishing world. Woo! Play this game! Expand
  32. Mar 29, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the rare games where the gameplay, story, and pacing all come together to create a special kind of game that only comes around every few years. The controls are incredibly refined, the graphics are fantastic and on an epic scope. The new vigors like bucking bronco and murder of crows add a fantastic amount of depth to the combat. Voice acting is top notch. It's early in the year, but this will likely be on top of many GOTY lists for 2013. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is one of the best examples that someone can give to demonstrate games can be more than just mashing buttons, games can be beautiful adventures and this game at least in my heart will always be a truly beautiful work of art. There's not one reason that i could think of on why not rate this game a 10 out 10.
    The graphics, the music, the gameplay, the story, everything is just
    beautiful and touching even if the console version doesn't look at good as the pc or has the limitation of only using two weapons the gameplay never feels boring or repetitive even the plasmids that aren't as important as the past games they still play a big part in combat i would say even the bigger. The story can definitely become confusing but after you finish the game you will understand that the story was made for you to feel that way at that specific part of the story. In conclusion Bioshock Infinite at least in my personal view is a game that you can't really ask for more
    the graphics are spectacular in some occasions, the music is beautiful, the gameplay is smooth and addictive, and the story will keep you coming back just to see what ends up happening plus the ending is just mind blowing it even has an amazing epilogue this game will give you an experience that you don't want to miss worth every penny that the game costs and gives hope for the shooter genre.
  34. Apr 2, 2013
    I have never written a review for a game before but this game warrants another 10 and I felt compelled to give it. All I can say is wow. The ending to this game is among the best I've ever experienced in gaming. It is on par and even surpasses most big hollywood films. If you were into movies like Inception or Shutter Island, you will love this game! The gameplay is fun and very chaotic, which I happened to enjoy. However this game is more about story than gameplay. The only way I could see anybody not liking this game would be if they prefer spoon fed stories with little thinking required (sadly these types of games make up the majority of the industry). It may very well go down as the defining game for this generation! Do your self a favor and play it! Expand
  35. Apr 3, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a well made game with a ending that will BLOW YOUR MIND. It made my jaw down ten clicks down to earth. It is a must buy.
  36. Apr 3, 2013
    I just have 4 words to describe this game: Oh... My....Fu...God.

The game takes some risk at some of its gameplay design, but the whole game takes that problem and make it to something easy and good!
  37. Apr 4, 2013
    This game. Is so intense. So mind blowing. This is, at least for me one of the BEST games of this generation. Anyone who rated under 9 probably didn't get the ending, because they didn't take their time exploring Columbia, finding hints about what the heck is actually going on. So much emotion, so many feels. This is a MUST OWN.
  38. Mar 29, 2013
    Expectations, I can say, have been exceeded. Bioshock's strongest talking point was its location; a sub-mariner underground brimming with mystery and danger. Infinite sells on the same principle, a steam punk world where nothing really makes much sense and everything at the same time just seems so damn cool.

I dare you to miss it.
  39. Mar 27, 2013
    I feel like if you think this game is horrible, you are not looking at it, at all. If you have seen the ORIGINAL "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and saw how it tied into current events (at that time), the cold war, McCarthyism, you should like this game; if you are not old enough to understand the reference of the cold war you probably bought this game because it was in the first-person shooter section and probably didn't understand anything just wanted to shoot things and play multiplayer, but then got sad because there was no multiplayer... well now i'm rambling... back to the point. If you take the time and immerse yourself in this game and not just go shoot everything in sight you would see that the game can tie into a lot of current dilemmas in the world, which is extremely rare in today's entertainment, it also makes you invested into characters in the game and that is also extremely rare, especially for video games. This game requires you to pay attention to the details of important parts of the story, you might even learn something about yourself while playing different parts of the game. If you don't appreciate stories, or getting attached to characters, then this game is not for you, just go buy Call of Duty.
    P.S. I'm not saying COD is a bad game, it just doesn't rely on story or the characters in the story. P.S.S (P.P.S?) The P.S. is in here so COD fan boys don't start yelling at me. I know they are out there... I can smell them.
    Well that is my review of the game, you might agree with it, or you might get mad at some points I made, but that is how I viewed the game, it was a great game, I highly recommend it to people who enjoy all types of games, not just a specific genre.
  40. Mar 28, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played! I had trouble playing the original Bioshock, mostly because the combat got stale very quickly and I've never been a huge fan of grinding to an objective. In this game, it doesn't feel tedious at all. Ran out of ammo? Look, there are a plethora of unique weapons all around you! Getting overrun? Use an ability! Probably the best part of the game is the allied AI, who is actually helpful instead of running into line of fire and getting killed every other minute. Few games do everything as RIGHT as this game does. This gets my (VERY RARE) 10/10 Expand
  41. Mar 31, 2013
    I'm a life-long gamer and this is the best game I've ever played. I've beaten it twice since launch and it is amazing in every aspect. Great story, characters, gameplay and pacing. If you own a system or PC that runs this game, buy it and play it.
  42. Mar 27, 2013
    I can't beleive how low some user reviews are rating this game. Shame on you. Because a games social and spiritual concepts trancend your understanding of the world you live in doesn't mean these concepts are invalid, or in by any stretch of the imagination unimportant. The philosophical commentary incorporated into the Bioshock series, particularly 1 and infinite are right up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid, maybe even a bit more clever than Kojima's masterpiece. Artistically, the game is up there with Journey. A creature of deep beauty that it will take more than one playthrough to fully appreciate. The first half hour is one of the most breathtaking moments in gaming. And I have literally played every single AAA title throughout the LAST 2 GENERATIONS. Expand
  43. Apr 1, 2013
    First off I would like to ask what is up with all of these gamers downing this game? this game is pure
    genius in every sense of the word. Ken Levine really created a masterpiece and in my opinion surpassed the original in everyway. I believe that this is probably one of the greatest games ever to be released. The story aspect of this game is flawless you can tell that the developers
    really wanted to get the gamer to think at the end and it delivers I have never been so impressed with such a story. Next is gameplay I see from a lot of reviews people complaining about silly things like lock picking personally I thought that by having Elizabeth contribute to certain things such as that and giving ammo, salts, etc.. really gave the game some real depth and also added a connection with her which rarely happens nowadays. I personally think that irrational games gave the gamer solid responsive gameplay an epic over the top action and story driven experience that should NOT be missed by anyone who calls themselves a gamer. Expand
  44. Mar 26, 2013
    This has to be one of the finest games I have ever played, a masterpiece by anyone's standard. Everything about it is astonishing; the gunplay, the artwork, the environments and don't even get me started on the story.

Never have i felt so immersed in a game, this truly felt like an adventure, recapturing that feeling I got with games when I was a child. This is the Half Life 2 of this
    Generation and i dont forsee it being beaten for atleast a decade.

My only regret is that towards the end I rushed it even though I had time to really explore, if you do decide to buy this, don't make the same mistake, savor every last moment with this beauty and my god take in everything you see.

45. Apr 1, 2013
    While I expected to see a few negative reviews, I didn't quite expect to see so many. The worse part is that multiples of them are in regards to the mechanics. Oh the mechanics in this game are awesome, it is a full fleshed shooter in every-way, upgrades, weapon mods. It uses the firefight mechanic which some people like and some people don't the problem is peoples that even though this game has great mechanics and game play, it isn't what the game is about.

To those lobbing such complaints, it is akin to complaining that "there will be blood" doesn't have as much action as Die Hard and therefore it sucks... but alas this review isn't about the confused individuals giving a masterpiece a low score because it isn't being what it never pretends to be.

This is about success. They finally did it. This is a game for us, for the book nerds who always wanted to step inside a novel, who have always fantasized about a perfect merge of film and game. This is a middle finger to those who said it couldn't be done.

No 20 minute (movie) cut scenes, no cringe worthy mitten handed protagonists having graphical seizures while spouting lines that appear to have been written by a 3rd grade student.

Subtlety emotion, depth, humor, beautiful environments and main characters that drawn you in as well as some of the best novels and movies of our time. You will cry, you will laugh. You will want more, oh you will want more... and that perhaps is the only problem its so short, and i do feel a little ripped at 10 hours, but i understand... this could have been a dead space drag on, with the floor falling through every time you almost reach your objective. I almost thought they were going to go that route, but they didn't ,they made a masterpiece. if you haven't yet Just go experience it.
  46. Mar 29, 2013
    No words can describe how good this game story is, all I can say is you must buy this game it will blow your mind and will leave you questioning "did that really just happen"
  47. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is so god damn good in every way and the once that giving it 4/10 but wanted to give 6/10 just to take the score down and then calling the once that giving the game 10/10 dumb on non know-ers wtf? This game is a masterpiece, and it deserves the score it's getting really! The one that is saying that there is to little weapons and plasma wtf to you too, should there be 20 guns and 50 plasma to get approved it just shows that you like the game that much that you wanted more Expand
  48. Mar 27, 2013
    I had ridiculously high expectations for this game, and it exceeded them greatly. This is the first game that ever done that for me and is just flawless on almost every level. Ken Levine is a god, and this is by far the best game I have ever played.
  49. Mar 28, 2013
    The Best First Person Shooter game ever made, gorgeous graphics on PS3, incredible animation and art direction, you will feel into a movie, no words to describe columbia is like to travel back in time, elizabeth is a perfect character, the story will blow your mind and the sound tracks remind you that is a Bioshock Game. Super Must Buy
  50. Mar 27, 2013
    if this game doesn't blow the mold on first person shooters apart then i dont know what will.
    you just dont get games with this level of detail... in both enviroment and story. the campaign is a slew of fun and honestly once you get the hang of how the game plays, you wont beleive how cool you will feel zipping around destroying everything that moves. things like the skyline which in
    other games would feel like a gimmick, are so thoughtfully executed you will feel in control at all times and it truely excites the gameplay. nobody has ideas this good, with execution this good. bioshock infinite is a rollercoaster ride from start to finish and deserves your time. if you didn't play, or weren't fond of the first iteration... don't sweat it. this is the best of the best. now we just have to wait and see what ken levine pulls out of his sleeve on the ps4 and xbox 720. until then bioshock infinite will be a shining example of what a narrative basesed first person shooter can be. grab a skyhook and take the ride...you wont be dissapointed. Expand
  51. Mar 28, 2013
    BIOSHOCK INFINITE REVIEW It has been a long time since Bioshock Infinite had been announced. There was massive hype, demos were released, and so on so forth. The game has finally come out.
    This is a great game. As a matter of fact, my favorite game of all time is Bioshock; this game has a complex story that keeps you engaged and guessing until the game’s final moments.
    The Gameplay is
    definitely on par with the original Bioshock game, arguably even better. Although at times, the situations and enemies can be overwhelming. The gameplay weapons and moves I love the most are the melee, Crank Gun, RPG and Crow plasmid. I love drilling people’s heads with a skyhook. The voice acting and the characters are fantastic. The relationship between Elizabeth and Booker is an interesting one. The relationship between the Songbird and Elizabeth was so good that it made me tear up at moments. The story in this game is, as mentioned before, complex; The story constantly hits you with important plot details that will probably miss you on your first time playing; Bioshock fans will be expecting a major twist/reveal in the middle of the game (since the game’s first half follows the Bioshock formula faithfully), there is a major twist/reveal in the game, but it’s a the end of the game; without spoiling the reveal, it’s a damn good one, especially when you take a few minutes to really think about it. The game intertwines themes of destiny vs. choice, loss of innocence, racism and morality.
    Overall, the game lives up to the hype set by its ‘spiritual’ predecessor. The main characters and their relationships to other characters in the game are fascinating and even made me tear up a little. The gameplay is both an improvement and somewhat overwhelming at times over the original Bioshock. The game has a very good and complex twist/back story/reveal which maybe so complex that people might not get it on their first time playing. Regardless, the game is a great game that now fully justifies itself with having the name Bioshock in the title. GRADE: Classic
    NUMERICAL GRADE: 10 LETTER GRADE: A
    Overall opinion: Bioshock Infinite is a great game that is on par with the original game (though I like the original game slightly better).
  52. Apr 1, 2013
    Ken Levine is a champion of this medium. I’ve been touting him as such since he wrote the wonderfully memorable Bioshock, released six years ago in 2007; and whether he simply stumbles into his genius accidentally due to excellence in execution, or realizes his fresh, poignant plot devices through an exorcise in intended intellect, it is no matter. No one does what he’s able to do. Levine, twice now, has profoundly changed the way we view and discuss plot in video games. He understands the interactive component of the medium so well, his incorporation of it into his stories is foremost in his telling, and are deft to say the least.

Never in my professional career have I awarded a perfect score to any game I’ve ever reviewed. Not at GameFan, and not here, at ++Good Games. Finally a game takes that honor, and Bioshock Infinite is it. I couldn’t be happier to award it to Mr. Levine, and his band of hard working developers. His brand of story telling is something I aspire to in my own writing career.

I could take up this entire space discussing plot, but since you, you know, PLAY video games, I’ll start with the controls and mechanics… which are, honestly, pretty tried and true. It feels like Bioshock, and that’s to say it feels like a first person shooter with a great deal of diversity in how you choose to tackle any given situation. There is a wide array of standard weapons, from pistols to shotguns, rocket launchers to bolt action assault rifles, as well as some additional unconventional weapons that are not entirely realistic, but fit the setting as well the Heater is a single blast weapon that lights people on fire; like if a shotgun and a flame-thrower had children, but nothing too outlandish. The “magical powers,” and the equivalent of Plasmids, are called Tonics. Tonics all operate in the same way, either a single press to produce a targeted effect, or a held press to toss a trap on the ground. This is a good move away from the trap-only Plasmids (Cyclone Trap, Target Dummy) of the original game, and it gave Irrational more room to give us some interesting abilities. For example, Return to Sender allows you to catch all incoming bullets and toss them back as an explosive, and Undertow allows you to lasso an enemy, and reel him in, MK Scorpion-style, to deliver a much more intimate killing blow. There are the staple fireballs and electric bolts, but there’s some keen base-broadening when it comes to gameplay… but not too broad. And the sound that’s incorporated into combat is amazing. Fast, random violin chords every time you unleash Murder of Crows; a violent single BANG on a piano when you connect with your skyhook.

Speaking of the skyhook, the wrench/drill issue has been handily taken care of. Previously, in both Bioshock and Bioshock 2, your melee weapon was far too powerful. Even in Bioshock 2, when an attempt was made at balancing melee combat by introducing the fuel requirements on your drill, it didn’t really work. Even without fuel, the drill was still the best weapon in the game. You could go thump-thump-thumping to your heart’s content, with little to no consequences. If you try to melee everyone to death in Infinite, however, you WILL die. The game throws scores of enemies at you all at once, and if you expose yourself to get in for a skyhook decapitation, the rest of the pack will cut you down, and swiftly at that. Even on the normal difficulty setting it’s no joke. Verdict: 10/10 ++Good Does the game have its issues? Certainly, but I cannot overlook my own feelings of surprise, awe, and satisfaction when the dust had settled. I felt completely contented when it was all over. Everything promised by Irrational up to release was made good on, and I was left wanting for nothing. Every time Mr. Levine gets involved, he pushes forward what we’re to expect as players, as well as what we previously thought was narritively possible as an industry. Buy this one. It is, in a word, perfect.
  53. Mar 30, 2013
    Even though I had some framerate and loading issues, this is the best game I've played so far this year and my best experience with a first person game since the last Bioshock game. Gameplay is inventive and fun, narrative is strong and well paced. Regardless of which system you play this on, this is a experience worth having.
  54. Apr 5, 2013
    Combat is solid and the skylines make for a great amount of fun. The animations, voice acting and sound might be the best overall we have ever seen in a game before. The story is sound and interesting. Must buy.
  55. Apr 16, 2013
    I loved Bioshock Infinite. The game had some of the most beautiful art direction that I'd ever seen in a game. The story was a ripping yarn, combining edgy social commentary (albeit heavy handed) with mysterious science fiction. I couldn't tear myself away (pun intended). The game had a tangible emotional effect on me and I shed tears at least three different times during my playthough. Gameplay wise, Bioshock Infinite was a ton of fun. The combat was always exciting, with the use of vigors and skylines shaking things up a bit in comparison to the usual FPS fare. The pacing also deserves a mention; the game had just the right amount of downtime between fights. Overall, Bioshock Infinite was an utterly brilliant game and I have no qualms over stating that it is, by far and away, my favorite FPS of all time. And that is some high praise indeed! Expand
  56. Apr 19, 2013
    This game is what every sequel should aspire to be; it never tries to be the original, or to recreate the things the original does well, but makes it's own way, while still preserving the original's spirit.

This is a game not to be missed.
  57. Apr 29, 2013
    First, this game is fantastic. If you like a good story, amazing vistas, and satisfying first person shooter (fps) mechanics, you will enjoy this game.

Second, some people are disappointed certain elements from previous bioshock games have been streamlined (or "main-streamed"). While this is true for certain areas, this intelligent shooter still gives you many more options than your
    typical fps does. shoot or throw a grenade? Not here. When deciding how to deal with its encounters, depending on the layout of the area and the enemies, you will need to decide which guns you should be using (you can only carry two), which vigors (like magic) to use/combine, and what gear you should be wearing for that situation, and a few other choices I won't list for spoiler reasons. This of course is less essential for the lower difficulties, but becomes a must for 1999 mode.

Finally, thank you for 1999 mode. The only part of the first two bioshock games I did not like was the vito chambers. So thank you for the inclusion of 1999 mode. It's a great idea to offer this for people that would like a more challenging game, while still offering easier difficulties so those people that don't play fpses as often so they can still enjoy this beautiful game.
  58. Mar 27, 2013
    Amazing game. Level of detail is outstanding. The gameplay, story, characters and the setting are all fantastic. Go out and buy it you won't be disappointed.
  59. Mar 27, 2013
    A game that has been in development for a long time now has finally come out and it has 100% been worth the wait and a breath of fresh air to the first person shooter market. When all hope was lost for the first person shooter market with bad and boring games like Call of Duty and Sniper Ghost warrior, games that are being milked and milked to the point they are now bone dry, what Bioshock Infinite does is so imaginative with story telling and setting that all over first person games have a lot to live up to. When you first start in the world of the new Bioshock game you instantly feel a sense of journey and mystery this feeling carry's its way through into the floating city of Columbia were you are immersed into beauty and rich atmosphere its a city were you right a home with. The scale of this game is fantastic, from the open aired streets to small enclosed corridors of houses and some great Hollywood moments to put it up there with the greatest of games. The story is very deep to put it mildly its a little like the fairy tale rapunzel, get the girl fight the beast and get out, obviously things are not as simple as that but I will say at some point in the story the actual story hits you like a tone of bricks and continues to get more amazing, surprising and shocking but I wont tell you anymore. Columbia is a living and breathing world a world which you could defiantly believe to be true and the story brings it to life with small detailed things in the world; like flight paths. The girl Elizabeth as a AI character is the best I have seen as she interacts with the entire world she gives you ammo, health and vigors she also opens up tears in the world were she brings in things from another world to Columbia like cover and men to help you. Elizabeth also comments on things in the world and draws you to over paths like letters and books and yes when you go into the mens toilets she will wait outside for you. She is the most realist I have seen in a video game. There are a few down points but nothing that should put you off .One is half way through the game and it just slowly gets boring because your just shooting but it swiftly puts all that behind its self. Another is the gun combat it feels a little poor compared to the rest of the game's good quality's. And the last is nothing to do after you have beaten the game obviously you can replay it on a harder difficulty and collect everything but you can do that quickly I was hoping that there would be some sort of online feature but I would prefer just an amazing campaign which we got. Im sure they will bring out DLC The campaign is a good length I finished it in ten hours and that is also collecting everything and having a nose into every corner of the game. Over good points I should mention is superb voice acting by both leading roles and great script writing. Visuals are good there not incredible like Uncharted 3 and Battlefield but it is just perfect for the game. In conclusion this game is quality and it is very rare that people have so much care and perfection for their games the people in Irrational games have this passion and it is great to see. I give this game a 9.8/10 what a masterpiece. Expand
  60. Mar 27, 2013
    Do not listen to any of the low reviews of Bioshock Infinite. Its one of the greatest games of all time just like the first one. The graphics on the xbox and playstation of course aren't as good as the pc, but it really doesn't take away from the experience at all. The game is a refreshing blast to a stale market of fps shooters. If you are tired of playing mindless copy and paste games such as call of duty I highly recommend picking up Bioshock Infinite, but if you are one who can't sit through a single player game and have a constant itch to play online with the masses I recommend you run far far away from this game. Expand
  61. Mar 27, 2013
    AWESOME GAME. Just what to expect from a BioShock game, unique, creative, and innovative. It's a shame if you don't get this game. I just wish I had a gaming PC, so I could max this game out.
  62. Mar 28, 2013
    Well structured game that proves to the community that 2K Games really proves to be a company that takes time to create games with enough polish and a well-structured story. 10/10
  63. Mar 28, 2013
    As a fan if the original instalments in the BioShock franchise, I was excited to see where Infinite would go and what it would do to give players a fresh and exciting experience. And after getting my hands on it and playing it through I can honestly say that BioShock: Infinite does everything right.

The game is a joy to play, everything from roaming around the stunning streets of the
    flying city Colombia to riding the skylines with the useful and deadly skyhook, it all works seamlessly. The game has some of the best graphics I have seen in a very long while, and the way that Colombia has been painstakingly built from the ground up is jaw dropping. We as the players, are offered a city to explore unlike any I have seen before in any game, let alone a BioShock title. Where Infinite really shines though, is the story, which has to be one of the most moving 12 15hrs I have ever experienced in a game. Booker and Elizabeth's struggle to escape the doomed city is one that has many twists, turns and flat out shocks that I did not see coming. Moments throughout the game were tear wrenching and only made for a more compelling experience. To avoid spoilers I am simply going to say, if you want to play a genre and perhaps a generation defining game, look no further. BioShock Infinite is a flawless masterpiece, which despite it's many delays, has been well worth the wait. Expand
  64. Mar 29, 2013
    This was a brilliant masterpiece of a game! Definitely made it into my top ten favorite video games of all time. I seriously do not understand how somebody could hate this game (and I am sure all the people who wrote bad reviews are the classic stick up your butt hate the world kids). Finally, something to break free from the mediocrity that has become gaming. I am torn because I loved BioShock 1 but I almost like Infinite more. The story is so complex and so awesome that I couldn't even believe it. It inspired me to create a metacritic account just to show support for the game in some way. The fighting and the world of Columbia is so awesome, strategizing how to fight using tears as well as skylines (and obviously your weapons and vigors), its incredibly fun. The developers and creators put a ton of time into creating this game and it shows, the attention to detail is ridiculous, you could spend hours just walking around and looking at the world of Columbia. It is absolutely gorgeous and usually I don't even care about voice acting in games but it literally was so good that I actually noticed it. Addictive gameplay and awesome fighting system. If you haven't played it and like the other two games, do yourself a favor and buy it or rent it at the very least! Expand
  65. Mar 30, 2013
    okay to start. Whoever thinks this game is bad, they should put their controller down, hang a noose from the ceiling, and hang themselves. clearly you guys are haters and have no idea what you're talking about. The people who probably think this game is bad, still think sports games are "games"; they are simulators. this game will go down in video game history.the graphics, story and gameplay are all spot on and have no flaws. I'll be the first 1 to say that's the second Bioshock sucked, but this is truly an amazing game that all should have the pleasure to enjoy. Expand
  66. Apr 1, 2013
    Full immersion which pulls you in and drains you of your emotions and excitement, all at the same time. Single player storytelling with NPC's has moved on with this game and that is what makes this game so special to me. It is a FPS though at heart, yet it has never pretended to be otherwise, that is why it has Bioshock in the title to tell you that. Well worth the wait. Thank you so much for this gaming experience. Expand
  67. Apr 9, 2013
    Infinite plays around with many different concepts and themes as far reaching as Religion and Science. Yet it's these kinds of hard hitting issues that define Bioshock. The denizens of the squalid underwater utopia and this supposed haven in the sky, encases the protagonists in worlds that are disposed of egalitarianism. Bioshock Infinite is a remarkably presented game, with great ideas and an ambiguous yet sentimental ending. The combat has you dicing between weapons and vigors, (a consumable alternative to plasmids) which have multiple varients such as Undertow- which is a short spray of liquid which can primarily fling targets away from you. The secondary usages of these vigors are usually trap based, and are meant to take out multiple hostiles at once. Enemy types are a little unimpressive, with face painted vox populi figures and big-daddy-like suited mercenaries taking most screen time. Encounters with the hulking Handymen and the Boy of Silence are miniscule, though there are quite a few fireman battles. Each of these are an ample test of your abilities to wield the vigors and plasmids, and are great enemies for experimentation. Your lifebar is much longer now, so you won't constantly be returning to chambers each time you die, and Elizabeth is great at gifting items that she finds, whilst staying out of sight of the enemy. Though it is a little odd that she gifts you so many coins. It's also a shame that there is no backtracking for collectibles, but the story and characters anchor the experience, which is the right approach. In the end Infinite completely delivers on the immersion and the care which lifts Bioshock above generic shooter status. Expand
  68. Apr 30, 2013
    i loved the first bioshock and this one, although realllly different, is still just as on par in terms of plot, gameplay, soundtrack etc. some of the voice acting can be annoying but that's just because i'm bipolar and everything is annoying when i'm manic. (anyway). anyway.
  69. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a great game. The greatness comes from gameplay, story, environment controls, polish, but not nessiceraly from graphics. But for true gamers we all know that graphics is not all to a game look at the sentence before, there are 6 or 7 things that contribute to greatness and this game by Irrational Games has it all.
  70. May 2, 2013
    Everything done right, hopefully it continues. My vote for GOTY. Beautifully takes an already amazing and well established series and brings it to another level. Answers lots of questions, raises more, but doesn't leave you feeling cheated like most games of the type do. Worth every cent. The escort mechanic is amazing, you're not just dragging around this useless sack to keep alive. One of the best I've ever played, Expand
  71. Apr 16, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite puts you in the shoes of Booker Dewitt, the first of the main two protagonists found in Bioshock Infinite, the other being Elizabeth.
    "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" This is a quote that you will hear numerous times throughout the story, and really thrusts the underlying story into its course of action as you rock through the world of Columbia, the floating
    city in the sky where this game takes place.
    Your start off at a lighthouse, dropped off on a boat by a man and a woman It is not the same lighthouse from the original Bioshock, but a completely different one altogether, with only have a vague idea of where you’re heading.
    You must retrieve and save a girl named Elizabeth, who is trapped inside an enormous statue. But Elizabeth is no ordinary character. Elizabeth has powers like no other, opening tears in the world are her ‘thing’. She has been created so well and realistically that you want to care for her. You want to save her. She will frequently throw you ammo, salts, health and money throughout the entire campaign, also making for a very generous but not overloading attribute. She doesn’t throw you too much, and it’s very evenly spread out as well.
    Your character, Booker Dewitt is a totally different kind of person to Elizabeth. He is on this journey which is almost outcast, and you can tell instantly that he doesn’t fit into the flying city in the sky. Something about the world and its inhabitants, its surroundings feels different than any other game. One reason is because the game is riddled with political racism towards black people and Irish people (like me), and they are known as the Vox Populi. The story from here is an extravagant one. It takes you away with its indulgent story and really tries to mess with your mental capacity.
    The graphics in Bioshock Infinite are second to only some, e.g. Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, but are superbly done nevertheless and are perfect for what this game wishes to tell. The skies are a great cerulean blue, the city is bright and welcoming, while the slums are dark and unforgiving.
    Bioshock Infinite boasts amazing controls and gameplay mechanics. The addition of vigors, the original Bioshock’s plasmids, is a welcome one. There is solid fun to be had out of using Bucking Bronco or Return to Sender which makes you just feel like a badass. The weapons also found in Infinite are wonderful to use and really have a ‘Uumph’ behind each of them. The AI in Bioshock Infinite is some of the best in the industry, being very smart and strategic in all situations.
    Bioshock Infinite’s engaging story, followed by its’ immense graphics alongside some of today’s most solid gameplay and controls makes this an easy contender for game of the year.
  72. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is one of the most original I've ever played and the series is already in my "Top 10 video games series". It's hard to explain this game by words. It has so much emotions, great story, great characters (specially Elisabeth). Playing in that background was amazing and the enemies where challenging and strong and you needed a lot of variety of attacks to pass it on hard. The plasmids aren't that useful that they where in the previous games but surely are useful and will save you a lot. This third game is the one you need more strategy because it doesn't have save points and you lose money when you die, money that you need to buy upgrades. Apart for the excellent gameplay you have a beautiful story and one of the most difficult to understand at the end but with a bit of attention you will get it. So what i meant to say was: this game is beautiful, has great characters, brilliant gameplay, great improvement for the series, good enemies and great music. This and the first Bioshock are tied in my favorites of the series.
    And by the way, the Songbrid was so brilliant and looked so good!
  73. Mar 26, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a wonderful antidote to the extreme headache and disappointment that was Aliens: Colonial Marines and SimCity. This game is absolutely and utterly awe-inspiring! The BioShock games have a legacy of gold in terms of production value and narrative, and Infinite may just be the best in the series. I haven't played through the entire game yet but what I've played through thus far has left me wide-eyed like a a little boy on a birthday celebration that lasts weeks! The game art is superb. When I heard Infinite would take place in a flying city I almost immediately had my doubts. I thought "they've gone too far! Rapture is already so far-fetched". How wrong I was. No one other than Ken Levine (and Jules Verne maybe) can suspend our disbelief so quickly and utterly convince us that flying cities are possible! The voice-acting... what can I say... if only there were Oscars for voice-acting... this game would sweep them all. I'm not usually this prone to superlatives but I haven't come out of a game so utterly struck and moved by the genius of its design in... I can't even remember when was the last I felt like this. Maybe Majora's Mask? I don't know. These moments are so far between and rare. I won't get too much into narrative but what struck me the most is how much the game is actually about your companion, and not you. And the way the game almost effortlessly glides you through its narrative genius that you just cannot pull yourself away. The society of Columbia is euphoric... like a constant independence day that never ends and gives homage to itself in every way it can. But from the on-set there is something creepy about its perfection and its this mystery which keeps nudging you. I feel right at home in dystopias and it's so refreshing to see one that isn't just about doom and gloom, but rather about exceptionalism, perfection and utter narcissism. This game holds up a hyperbolic mirror to the U.S. and its culture and reveals the tarnished flaws it was built on and also highlights its promise. WHat an engaging world this game has brought us! And who says games don't make you think or waste your time? My one complaint about the game is despite having a machine which is able to run the game on ultra high graphics effortlessly, it does crash every so often with an error that reads "No disk in drive. Please insert HDD". I'm running the game off my hard drive so I fail to see how I should 'insert' another one and I definitely have enough memory. But nonetheless, this could be an issue with my own settings. This game is Great and it will receive all the glory and praise it deserves! At least there are still developers out there who know what they are doing and deliver each time. Bravo! Expand
  74. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is a true masterpiece of gaming.
    The story is the best I have seen so far in a shooter and maybe also the best story in a game ever.
    The graphics are good and the art design is unbelievable great. In addition the combat feels better than in BioShock 1 or 2. The AI Elizabeth uses works without problems and maybe makes her the best companion in a game yet.
    This game is one of
    the best games of this decade and my favorite for Game of the Year.

I recommend playing the game on hard difficulty because normal is way too easy. Players who want a more challenging experience should try 1999-Mode.
  75. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Doesn't use the vast opportunity of alternate dimensions to it's fullest. Core story is very shallow, despite seeming very intricate at first. Combat is non existent and Elizabeth is a very bad side character that seems to be there just to throw coins to you through walls. Expand
  76. May 23, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is THE best FPS shooter since Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark on the N64. Not only does this instalment of the Bioshock franchise feel like an old school styled game but it also has that same feeling that I've been missing dearly since I last played those games.

The Halo games lacked the sensational feeling of the two great shooters on the N64. In fact, most games
    lately have deviated in terrible ways. FPSs have become Call of Duty knock offs, even though call of Duty ripped everything in the franchise from pre-existing franchises also. Bioshock Infinite has finally come out at a time where video games in general have been disappointing lately, especially in light of big-name titles, like Halo 4 from last year.

Bioshock Infinite is just a wildly good time with your console. You'll be sleeping in late because of how good the game is. I was a victim of staying up for hours playing this masterpiece to death. It's a game that's more than a franchise game: it's art. The environment of the game is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, and we all know how pixels can make potentially beautiful things turn ugly. Thankfully, this is not the case here.

I can't recommend this game highly enough. If you're just going to get ONE game this year, THIS IS THE GAME TO TAKE HOME!

I give Bioshock Infinite 5/5 stars. One of my new all-time favourite video games.
  77. Apr 11, 2013
    Well considering the everything everyone has already ran over here with their smug giant ass in head Winnebagos, I will just go ahead and say it. I agree with thems alls! I will say that the original Bioshock kicked the living poop out of me for some time, an I always felt starved for ammo and on the edge. Here it is not the case, which for a fraidy cat is really nice. I like feeling challenged but comfortable enough that I know I can get ammo when I need it if I have the Jing. Beautiful beyond words is the world that you are thrust into, I was in awe from the first moment. Tried showing it to my Fiance who is religious, did not go over well... D: Imagine that. But the Symbolism inherent to works like these is thick and the iconography is just glorious. People will always complain about this or that not being what they had hoped, not enough, or too much. But the reality is, Irrational really did us a service with this one. I would have liked to see more interaction with Songbird early on, maybe a decent battle, or something physical. I was pleased with how the character was used. Elizabeth was fantastic and I found myself emotionally interested in her more than I expected to. As a parent you inherently feel more for how Children play in power scenarios. Some levels really seemed like the team went "OK we have all these ambitions, and only 80% funding and time in which to execute them" and it does feel a bit constricted. But it's great really, the weapons have gotten much more exciting than the first bioshock, and that for me was a major point of improvement that was noticeable. I ran with the Sniper rifle and Carbine as I love ranged engagements. I upgraded shock jockey and that ended up being very useful. I took one point off for an ending that I felt could have offered more in which to do with a scenario it was afforded through the complex story. Enjoy! Expand
  78. Apr 14, 2013
    This game is worth the hype do yourself a favor and at least rent it, you won't be disappointed, this is a true work of art. Plenty of throwbacks to the original Bioshock which is easily one of the best games of all time.
  79. Apr 25, 2013
    Ok, I give this one 9 out of 10. But is it worth all thy hype and praise? Well, 90% of it, hence my score. This is one of the best games I have played recently and a haunting story that got me hook from the first to the last minute. But, is it the best Bioshock of all? Not it's not. "Would you kindly?" still wanders my thoughts and I don't think Infinite will linger for that long. Bioshock 1 still is the best game. BI is gorgeous, with a different tone and atmosphere than previous entries. Fist of all, the confinement is gone traded for an endless sky with no boundaries. The setting is different, as well, where a 'Dark Disney' feeling substitutes the steampunk-utopia of Rapture. Nevertheless, this game CANNOT be missed. The Bioshock pedigree is there, filled with its interesting characters and (not always) predictable plot twists. The game plays beautifully too, making this one an almost perfect package where plot and action are very well intertwined. One of the best releases of 2013, for sure. Expand
  80. Mar 31, 2013
    In the first "BioShock", the main protagonist (like many FPS protagonists) was a blank slate. Nameless, voiceless, and effectively inconsequential. He was still important, sure, but his importance was owed mostly to his actions and origin rather than his personality or motivations. He was meant to be an empty vessel, and in a way, he could have been anybody. The real star was the city of Rapture and the philosophy and history within it. In "BioShock Infinite", however, it feels as though the roles have been reversed. While the flying city of Columbia is interesting and rich, by the end of the story, you realize that it really could have been any city with any philosophy and the story wouldn't have been very different. The real stars this time around are the central characters of Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. While it does feel a waste that such an interesting setting is only explored peripherally, the focus on character in this game gives it its edge and its story is a puzzle but it doesn't sacrifice engagement in order to keep the player guessing. One of the best games ever. Expand
  81. Jun 4, 2013
    I don't think much needs to be said about this game. It is amazing, the guns are exciting, the powers are new and innovative, the storyline has a gripping hold on you as you're thrown around the room being twisted from all the plot devices. You have a beautiful companion who aids you in your adventures. Even the enemies are fun. Buy this game, it is fantastic, you won't have wasted your money, it's one of the few games that's actually worth the £40.

I can't help thinking Bioshock 1 was better though. still deserves a strong 10 nonetheless
  82. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is probably the best game ive ever played. The combat and storyline in this game are legendary!!! Bioshock Infinite is a MUST OWN! Buy it now!
  83. May 28, 2013
    One of the best storyteller game i have ever played. Lots of Easter eggs with story connection, amazing graphics, sounds, and graphic interface. great soundtrack too.
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    Best game!

I loved the first bioshock and this one, although realllly different, is still just as on par in terms of plot, gameplay, soundtrack etc. some of the voice acting can be annoying but that's just because i'm bipolar and everything is annoying when i'm manic. (anyway). anyway.
  85. Apr 14, 2013
    This is my first BioShock game, and I thought it was amazing. Even my girlfiend who sometimes will watch me play games to help out with puzzles commented that "this is the best video game I've ever seen!" The city of Columbia was well realized and I enjoyed the social commentary throughout the game's setting. I played Tomb Raider after this, and my girlfriend said "none of these characters are nearly as interesting as Elizabeth." I truly am not a fan of FPS at all, but the Easy setting let me enjoy the action and story without being too stressed out. Definitely a game I will replay given the chance, and I also look forward to playing the original BioShock. Expand
  86. Mar 30, 2013
    Infinite meets all of my expectations, luckily, and pushes the FPS genre forward in terms of narrative and gameplay with ease. I've never been a huge fan of the FPS genre as I feel that(making exceptions for games like Bioshock and Crysis) the genre as a whole has not pushed forward in the same ways as what other genres have. Luckily Infinite proves me to be wrong. The story draws you in, keeping you invested without the need of any cheesy cliches, and meets the same standard as what you would hope for a Bioshock sequel. The relationship between you and every other character is constantly changing and keeping fresh. But its not until you meet Elizabeth that the game becomes more than just a great game, it becomes a classic. In terms of story it becomes interesting, but its the gameplay that really benefits from her. Tears become a massive part of the gameplay, just as much as the super-powered vigors, making the battle feel like its constantly changing and becoming more complex. This also is in favor to the enemy types which are impressive as they range in difficulty making you often on edge throughout fights. This becomes more apparent when you consider the sound design as well, which is beyond impressive. Overall this game is an instant classic with plenty of replay value. Expand
  87. Apr 8, 2013
    BioShock Infinite was a game that I was extremely hyped for when it was first announced and it has finally arrived. Was it worth the wait? Yes, if you have not played this game yet I highly suggest you do so. Its a game that is a must buy for any die hard gamer. It features some of the best characters, and storyline in a video game to date and it cannot be missed by anyone.
  88. Apr 13, 2013
    The game play may seem a little old to some, but I enjoyed it. The characters are believable, the game looks and feels great. Audio and voice acting are top notch as well.
  89. Apr 27, 2013
    It's not perfect, but it's still far better than anything on the market. Its been years since a game this good has come out. The graphics are good, but their not mind blowing-good. It has great AI(for an FPS). The game isn't very hard, but that doesn't matter when the gameplay and story are so amazing. There are some changes in gameplay from the other Bioshock games. This one is focused on combat, and has removed hacking to place more emphasis on combat. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to whether or not you liked hacking. Personally, I got tired of hacking about halfway through the first game, and hated it by the end. There are also some major changes to the upgrade system. Now you buy upgrades for your guns and vigors using money, and you get passive upgrades by finding gear or tonics. Not of that matters however, because the series's strong point has always been the story, and this game's story is one of the best in any game ever.
    9.9/10
  90. Apr 15, 2013
    From start to finish, Bioshock Infinite has you engaged in the story line and has you waiting till the very end for the awesome ending only Levine could come up with. What I loved about the game is the slick gameplay which reminded me so much of the previous Bioshock games, yet so different at the same time. But the best was Elizabeth's interaction, which was so well thought out. The best female character ever in a game, just spectacular to say the least. I've played the game 3 times over for the Platinum, and can't wait to another run through! Expand
  91. Apr 6, 2013
    Ill keep this short and sweet: Awesome game. Can't wait to play it again. Believe the hype. GOTY candidate for sure. Super fun shooter with a gripping story and beautiful graphics. If you love video games get this!
  92. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok lets start with the fact that this game is one of the best games that I have ever played. This game is so strange and unusual that it makes you want explore the world you are playing in. mix that with a brilliant storyline and exceptional gameplay.well you certainty will be hooked Expand
  93. Apr 7, 2013
    Up until this game I didn't consider myself a Bioshock fan. I liked the first one, but I wasn't crazy about it. The second one was good but that was because it delivered almost the same experience as the first one, minus the "Wow" of discovering Rapture for the first time. But this game, this game really got me.

I decided to take a risk with this one and buy it without watching or
    reading a single review, I even avoided watching any video released after the gameplay of E3 2011 just because I wanted to discover things by my own. I finished it a week prior to writing this review and definitely the feeling is still in there: I LOVED IT! It lived up to all my expectations. It is definitely one of the best experiences I have had as a gamer.

The gameplay was totally satisfactory, specially the sky-lines parts which were fast but easy to navigate; Elizabeth is just the most useful AI companion I have encountered in any game, in the beginning one may think that the player will have to take care of her, but it ends up being the other way around, she gives you ammo and medikits, creates objects for you to cover and interact with, and she is the one responsible for bringing you back to life when you die, it is an amazing change for the typical story about rescuing a "damsel in distress". It is also good to have a FPS character who speak throughout the game.

The visuals and music are gorgeous, and the story is just excellently executed but keep in mind that, just as the others games in this series, it is mandatory that you listen to the voice messages to see the whole picture.

This is going to be a great year for gaming, we already have "Ni No Kuni" in the RPG front and now "Bioshock Infinite" in the FPS'. Still have to wait to see what "The Last Of Us", "Beyond: Tow Souls" and "Grand Theft Auto V" will bring to table for the action-adventure, adventure and sandbox genres. This is going to be a very hard to choose GOTY.
  94. May 7, 2013
    This game made me feel there is still hope for the generation that is actually making themselves dumb by having almost to actually none variety with their swag, yolo, stupid internet hypes and admiration for overly repetitive and empty shooters. Acting (or even worse, actually being) dumb is the new cool and that's even worse than having hipsters, who at least were culturally seasoned.
    Bioshock Infinite goes back to how games were not even 10 years ago before being dragged down by the financial crisis: a story that (quite literally) immerses you into the world you're playing. It trusts you and suddenly it stabs you in the back for being a threat to that wonderful place of comfort. The action pushes you forward constantly which is only in favor for the pace of the plot. There is philosophy and science (which Bioshock 2 lacked imo) and the game itself is a perfect statement on the illusion of choice, not only in games but also in real life. Do you really want to Eventually, you will, or won't, whether you like it or not. It shows a perspective of fatalism where most would see heads, but others see tails. The fact that the ending is inevitable and surprises you just as much as The Usual Suspects did when it first came out shows that plot twists still can be original and not a cheap trick of the industry to turn a half-baked story into something of more value just because you tricked the viewer.
    If anyone still doubted games are purely entertainment and can never be thought of as a piece of philosophy, a statement that cuddles with art only to eventually embody art itself, wash away your sins and rise anew with Bioshock Infinite.

I will state right here that most who gave this game a poor rating either don't even care about this aspect of the game and probably are the type of persons that would rather be playing Modern Warfare or Black Ops, don't care about philosophy and/or those who say the game doesn't explain itself probably didn't even care to collect all the voxophones or watch the Fink rotoscopes. There are of course the fans whose delusion is that a sequel only declines in quality, but as many franchises have showed us that a weak sophomore usually gets made up by an excellent, and sometimes even exceeding the original, third installment. Gladly I can conclude this is only a minority.
    However minor faults in the gameplay are present, playing this on an original PS3 definitely made the change when a friend let me play it on his PC and the difference shows why computers are still the best console: the graphics are alot better, gameplay is more fluid, no loading whatsoever (shorter ones when leaving/entering areas), no "glitches" (getting stuck on the stairs for instance). If you have the choice, choose PC for the perfect experience. For every gamer this is a MUST PLAY.

There is alot more to talk about within this game, like the Luteces, how fantastically Elizabeth is engineered or even how you never have an actual boss fight in this game but there is always YouTube for that.

"The Ocarina of Time of our generation"
  95. May 20, 2013
    I always knew that reviewing BioShock Infinite would be a challenge.
    Normally, I’d follow the usual formula, talking about the game’s high points and low points, and slapping a score on the bottom.
    But BioShock Infinite isn’t formulaic. Here’s a game that in two weeks has already prompted more smart commentary than most games will ever see. It has a reputation for being that kind of
    game–the one you approach intellectually, despite its grisly facade of smashed skulls, burnt bodies and cartoonish gore. The same was true with the original BioShock, and with the spiritually-related System Shock series before that. BioShock Infinite wants you to have your mindless fun, but it also wants you to ponder.When evaluated on traditional grounds, Bioshock Infinite isn’t perfect. As with the previous BioShock games, it requires far too much resource scavenging from dead bodies and abandoned cabinets. It has strayed farther from the role-playing roots of its spiritual ancestor, System Shock, and combat feels too constrained as a result. Some of the game’s early ideas, like prolonged boss encounters and story-altering decisions, seemed to be abandoned partway through. None of that stopped me from being sucked into BioShock Infinite’s world, and then being floored by its conclusion. It’s the kind of game you want to think about and talk about long after the credits roll, which is why the pile of thoughtful critiques keeps growing. You should play it, and join the conversation. Expand
  96. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock infinite is amazing. The level of detail in this game is beyond the words of a reviewer, and the story is perfect for the time we live in. This is one of the best games I have ever played
  97. Jun 2, 2013
    In a word...Amazing! The game is a little short (which is why I had to deduct a point), but overall I was very satisfied. The game play is great, but the story is what I came for and it did not disappoint. I do not want to give any spoilers, but it was an amazing experience and I highly recommend the game to anyone that likes to play games!!
  98. Nov 7, 2013
    Goods
    - EXXXXXXXXCELLENT STORY
    - Lovely characters
    - LOVELY soundtracks
    - LOVELY Visual

Bads
    - Gameplay felt boring and repetivive

Extras
    - I have not played any other bioshocks but i felt that this game was a very strong start to get me into the franchise
  99. Jan 22, 2014
    The original BioShock is a true masterpiece. I did not think that it could be topped in any way. BioShock 2 gave me some hope, though it did not satisfy me the same way that the original did. But, with Infinite, Irrational has truly given an equal to the original. This game truly has next to no flaws. The gameplay is so smooth, with the 8 Vigors and the different guns mixing seamlessly to provide combat that is as satisfying as you would expect from an Triple-A game. The story, though a bit confusing near the end, still drew me deeper into Columbia, a city that, just like Rapture, feels as though it is reality. The issues of racism and exploitation of the working man are drawn in a sharp picture, that leaves you thinking for hours after the credits roll. Ken Levine and Irrational Games have done yet another video-gaming masterpiece, that, along with the original, can be shown as prime-example of video games being more than just 'shooting people'. Expand
  100. Aug 23, 2013
    A story that keeps you hooked till the jaw-droppingly deep ending, gameplay that's so deliciously violent and graphics that don't always look great, but it's sure fun to look at. I'm serious. That ending will leave you in deep thought for days.
  101. Apr 7, 2013

I decided to take a risk with this one and buy it without watching or

1. May 27, 2013
    In an infinite universe, anything can happen, but in Infinite's, the specifics are what get you.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    One of those rare games that speaks to the player on a personal, emotional level with a thought-provoking, mature storyline set in one of the most amazing worlds conceived in a game. Plus, it's a wonderful FPS with deep, tactical combat. Essential. [Issue#230, p.66]
  3. Multiple dimensions and a clever scenario with a surprise around every corner make it difficult for us to explain our enthusiasm without spoiling the story. Only the extended ghost chase (literally) halfway through the game drags on a bit too long. [April 2013, p.74]