7.7

1. Dec 14, 2013
    A surprisingly complex game that packs a nice challenge and is unlike anything else that I have ever played. The game is labeled as a rhythm game, but that is not how I would describe it. To me it's a mix between an infinite-runner and a 2D platformer. I can see why they would call it a rhythm game, because everything you do in the game from jumping to collecting items makes a sound thatA surprisingly complex game that packs a nice challenge and is unlike anything else that I have ever played. The game is labeled as a rhythm game, but that is not how I would describe it. To me it's a mix between an infinite-runner and a 2D platformer. I can see why they would call it a rhythm game, because everything you do in the game from jumping to collecting items makes a sound that adds to the music playing in the background.

The presentation is probably one of the best things about this game. The soundtrack is fantastic even when you're not adding to the music, and the graphics are lush and charming as is the setting and story. To be honest it reminded me of a LittleBigPlanet game and that's a good thing.

Gameplay also fairs well thanks to a fair challenge and a nice amount of content. The game starts off simple enough but as you progress new challenges and abilities are added things get hectic quick. I died a lot in this game and outside of a few rare cases I never found myself getting irritated with game thanks to unlimited lives and good checkpoint placement. I do feel that the jump can be a little awkward at times thanks to how the main character baby hops throughout the game, but for the most part everything works fine and the controls are mostly responsive.

Overall I really enjoyed the game, but I was never really blown away by it. Level design is tight and with such a large amount of content in the form of secret levels and unlockables it's hard to find a fault with this game. It just never really wowed me was all. Still there is a lot of content in this game and it can be a lot of fun. It will even keep you coming back in order to get that high-score. In closing I found it to be a very enjoyable game and I find it easy to recommend.

1. Jul 20, 2013
    Nearly everything it sets out to do it does remarkably well, and in many ways, Runner2 feels like the pinnacle of the fledgling genre its predecessor helped create.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    The synergy between audio and visual in Bit. Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien greatly redeems a game that can become as tedious as its title.
    The indie talent at Gaijin Games brings a lot to the table with Bit.Trip Runner 2, but an otherwise excellent package is bogged down by somewhat nauseating action and gameplay equal parts terrific and tiring.