8.0

1. Dec 14, 2013
    A surprisingly complex game that packs a nice challenge and is unlike anything else that I have ever played. The game is labeled as a rhythm game, but that is not how I would describe it. To me it's a mix between an infinite-runner and a 2D platformer. I can see why they would call it a rhythm game, because everything you do in the game from jumping to collecting items makes a sound that adds to the music playing in the background.

The presentation is probably one of the best things about this game. The soundtrack is fantastic even when you're not adding to the music, and the graphics are lush and charming as is the setting and story. To be honest it reminded me of a LittleBigPlanet game and that's a good thing.

Gameplay also fairs well thanks to a fair challenge and a nice amount of content. The game starts off simple enough but as you progress new challenges and abilities are added things get hectic quick. I died a lot in this game and outside of a few rare cases I never found myself getting irritated with game thanks to unlimited lives and good checkpoint placement. I do feel that the jump can be a little awkward at times thanks to how the main character baby hops throughout the game, but for the most part everything works fine and the controls are mostly responsive.

Overall I really enjoyed the game, but I was never really blown away by it. Level design is tight and with such a large amount of content in the form of secret levels and unlockables it's hard to find a fault with this game. It just never really wowed me was all. Still there is a lot of content in this game and it can be a lot of fun. It will even keep you coming back in order to get that high-score. In closing I found it to be a very enjoyable game and I find it easy to recommend.
  2. Mar 24, 2014
    This a finely-crafted, rhythm-based, endless-running platformer. It's also, as a whole, a surprising game that proves to be much more than any random gameplay screenshot would give it credit for.

The most immediately striking feature about Runner 2 is its presentation. Simply put, it's impeccable, full of silly humor and narration to get you in the mood even before pressing start.
    Graphics are brightly colored and inviting. The gameplay is incredibly deep for an endless runner, featuring multiple characters to unlock, alternate paths, collectibles, and backtracking, along with some pretty tricky sections (especially on higher difficulty levels). All of this makes it a very addictive ordeal that is mostly a joy to play through.

One of the collectibles is particularly brilliant: some stages hide Famicom cartridges, and upon touching them you'll be taken to an 8-bit style bonus level that follows the same basic gameplay layout. They are tricky to complete, often tricky to find, and very fun.

The game does hiccup in a few particular areas. Each of the four worlds are very different in tone from one another, but the background never varies among stages of the same world. Worse: the music is the same throughout the entire game, a capital sin for a title based on rhythm. Whether you're running on a sunny seaside track, a creepy forest, or a fiery hellhole, you'll be listening to the same generic beat. This is a huge missed opportunity, made all the more frustrating by the fact that this is a game otherwise brimming with attention to detail.

Don't let that deter you, though, because when Runner 2 gets something right, it gets it really right. It will keep a smile on your face as you meet new enemies, learn new moves, and beat stages that get harder and harder. It's a fun and rewarding experience that deserves to be in most Wii U collections.

Rating: 8.0
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is odd to say the least. A game that starts off deceptively simple, and then continuously ramps up the skills you have and the technical difficulty of each level. You start of just being able to jump, but then you get more advanced abilities like gliding, shielding, sliding, spring jumps, dancing(yes, dancing), attacks, etc. Not only that, but the only way to unlock additional content in the game is to take alternate or more difficult paths. The arcade style point based level structure of this game give it quite a bit of lasting appeal, as you have to play the levels multiple times to get more, and to get it right. The points in the levels give an extra incentive to play more, climb the leaderboards and challenge your friends. The addition of costumes and bonus hidden retro levels make it an even larger game. The only thing holding this game back from me giving it a 10 is that the levels can at times seems repetitive, but only at times, since the expanding powers, abilities and tools available keep it for the most part fresh. I wont go into descriptions on the visuals, because honestly, its a sight to see and almost impossible to describe accurately. Very addicting, highly recommended. Expand

1. Jul 20, 2013
    Nearly everything it sets out to do it does remarkably well, and in many ways, Runner2 feels like the pinnacle of the fledgling genre its predecessor helped create.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    The synergy between audio and visual in Bit. Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien greatly redeems a game that can become as tedious as its title.
    The indie talent at Gaijin Games brings a lot to the table with Bit.Trip Runner 2, but an otherwise excellent package is bogged down by somewhat nauseating action and gameplay equal parts terrific and tiring.