Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War PlayStation 3

7.9

1. Nov 18, 2014
    Great game. A real Strategy based game but filled with action and excitement. I agree the graphics are not mind blowing but the game itself is great. Being able to turn the tide of war and being more realistic with the different arsenal is great.
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    I will give a very honest review of this game I am long time KOEI fan and have played my own fair share of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, this game took a different turn in terms of location and gameplay elements, which got my hopes up high. Starting the game i was happy with the game for a while, though since I viewI will give a very honest review of this game I am long time KOEI fan and have played my own fair share of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, this game took a different turn in terms of location and gameplay elements, which got my hopes up high. Starting the game i was happy with the game for a while, though since I view myself as a KOEI fan I feel I need to address some major concerns with the game as a whole. The good stuff first though, the gameplay is addicting and fresh, based more so on tactical combat rather than hack-and-slash. The voice acting, though a bit corny, does do its best in staying authentic with its british and french voices. Leveling up and using different units makes for great variety during combat and each battle you participate in does feel grand and epic due to the massive scale of the fights around you. Hearing news that an enemy base is taken or your ally is defeated in battle, on a completely different side of the battlefield makes the game seem much larger and active, which I believe is its greatest strength. Unfortunately, there are some problems that come into play very early on. The first major flaw is the hit detection, I don't know about anyone else who played this but i experienced a LOT of faulty hit detection during close encounters, mainly with sword units. They initially attack way too early and give up an opening for attack on you and your units. The combat, though strategically fun, is incredibly wonky and usually unresponsive if your up against less than groups of enemies. Early on in the game enemy AI and allied AI would act accordingly and logically in battle, attacking their nearest base and providing sufficient defense. However later in the game the AI goes completely braindead! Almost as if they have no clue what to do, or most of the time they leave YOU to do all the fighting and just sit tight in the back. The Graphics arent too good for PS3 and 360 standards, and the battles seem to get repetitive after a while when you know enemy weaknesses very well as well as your ability to abuse their intelligence. The battles are overall grand but ultimately are a mixed bag for me, as i LOVE the concept of this game, i really do. But I cannot bring myself to rate it as a great game in its current form. Expand
  3. NathanS
    Dec 22, 2009
    I just keep coming back to this game. Don't believe the critics. If you like KOEI games and squad level combat you can't go wrong with Bladestorm. My only complaint is that it is far from historical. Both in terms of the characters and equipment. Last word: a fine game that you won't fall in love with immediately but will grow on you if you give it a chance.
  4. JeremyM.
    Oct 14, 2009
    This is a great title that you just won't find anymore. I don't understand why I had to pick it up used for 35$ when other launch titles are now greatest hits for 20$. I played the demo over and over again waiting for it to go greatest hits, but it was not to be. I finally caved the other day and I'm glad I did. Action can be a little repetitive (coming from someone who This is a great title that you just won't find anymore. I don't understand why I had to pick it up used for 35$ when other launch titles are now greatest hits for 20$. I played the demo over and over again waiting for it to go greatest hits, but it was not to be. I finally caved the other day and I'm glad I did. Action can be a little repetitive (coming from someone who liked Assassin's Creed), but it's a game that really sucks you in. Expand
  5. PeterR
    Aug 18, 2009
    This game is really fun and addicting. There are though many reasons why critics hate this game for example: 1) Many critics don't even know how to play the game 2) The minimap is too small 3) Occassional but rare freezing There is also the fact that many people can't even play strategy whatsoever. Its a great blend of strategy and action.
  6. kevblank
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't know what the critics problem is Ive been playing rts games for years and this game is great its fun its different I mean look at the user ratings give this game a chance you will like it.
  7. DavidBurrow-Newton
    Jul 31, 2008
    This game was a suprise to me. I thought it would be like Dynasty Warriors but set in France. Ithink it is just as good as DW and would recommend it to people who don't want a fighting game which dosn't hurt your thumbs if you play it a lot.
  8. HalreyT.
    Mar 2, 2008
    This game is great, I can't get over it, I love every part of it, but it froze on me twice, annoying but cool game.
  9. BobB.
    Feb 8, 2008
    This is a really fun all around good game. That's all there is to say.
  10. WinST
    Dec 1, 2007
    Its not as bad as many reviewers put it down. Its very engaging and no PS3 game at the date of this review has the same gameplay.
  11. Zypher9000
    Nov 25, 2007
    I have played every Koei game even back in the Apple 2 days with Romace of the 3 Kingdoms (not sure if they were even called Koei then). The best games to me they have ever made are Romance of the Kingdoms series, Kessen 2, Dybasty Warriors and Empires line, until now. This game is VERY good. The problem is that you have to spend 5 hours with it before you fall in love. Something most I have played every Koei game even back in the Apple 2 days with Romace of the 3 Kingdoms (not sure if they were even called Koei then). The best games to me they have ever made are Romance of the Kingdoms series, Kessen 2, Dybasty Warriors and Empires line, until now. This game is VERY good. The problem is that you have to spend 5 hours with it before you fall in love. Something most reviewers aren't willing to do. Koei has had a long history of over the top cheesy dialog, this one is well done on that note. Level up your favorite type of fighting type and then judge this game. For me storming across the battlefield on level 50+ Royal Lancers, hooves thundering, clash of steel, it doesn't get much better than this. Plus it's all wrapped in a mercs package so you are managing your own team and business. There is storyline and it's historicly based. There are many unique and odd troop types that get unlocked over time to keep the game even more interesting (Camels!). A persistent dynamic battlefield with all the great moments of meeting other champions and fighting out, sub story lines between characters, and the music is first rate for the period it depicts. This is a game that grows on you the more time spent with it so give it a chance! Those rating it under 60 shouldn't be reviewing it at all seriously. With all the new games out (and I have them all) this is the one I keep playing! Expand
  12. B.Rucker
    Nov 19, 2007
    I'm trying to reconcile most of those lower scoring reviews with the actual game I've been playing. The graphics are actually pretty nice - much better than the comperable Dynasty Warriors games, the game isn't unbalanced in favor of cavalry except in the very beginning (and the demo) before other units start developing more potent counters and the AI, for a KOEI game, is I'm trying to reconcile most of those lower scoring reviews with the actual game I've been playing. The graphics are actually pretty nice - much better than the comperable Dynasty Warriors games, the game isn't unbalanced in favor of cavalry except in the very beginning (and the demo) before other units start developing more potent counters and the AI, for a KOEI game, is pretty decent strategically. The unit AI is a little simple but this isn't Medieval: Total War (also a fine, but very different, game). In fact, this title is unique enough I don't think most folks will get it right away and I don't blame them. There's an RPG grind here but it's centered on unit expertise not a particular character (though purchasing Sword unit skills will buff you when you're solo out there). There's a bit of a strategy game going on with each map but the real strategy game's core is character development. Bladestorm almost isn't a game in a conventional sense because you really can't lose. Sure, you can lose battles or be defeated but you keep a portion of your rewards and keep on going. The only battles you need to redo, to advance the story which almost seems optional in itself, are storyline battles. The rest take place on maps you'll be conquering and reconquering. The key to the joy of this game is a real love for medieval trappings. Knights and pennants and castles and archers and pikes. Alright, and for some reason Vikings and Mongols and other exotics up to and including Roman Chariots and Elephant troops. Realistic, Bladestorm ain't. But the way each, of hundreds, of units interacts and operates so much differently than others makes for an engaging tactical experience each time you play. The fortunes are constantly shifting on the battlefield with reversals and rescues abounding. Unlike Dynasty Warrior games your allies are fairly competant and the forces clash on the field in a believeable manner. Decent unit animations combine with a gorgeous diorama approach to terrain design makes gives Bladestorm a cinematic appeal that's only slightly undercut by the usual videogamey concessions of floating numbers and huge, colorful, letters hollaring BLADESTORM! when you max out a meter. I'd recommend this game for folks who like being part of a universe a bit bigger than themselves that can surprise and entertain over time. If you liked Pirates! or Romance of The Three Kingdoms VII, VIII and X - this might be your kind of game. You're not a general, you're a grunt leading grunts, and if that works for you then you'll love Bladestorm. Expand
  13. DavidC.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Much like all of KOEI's games, this one is for the fans. I quite like it, Dynasty Warriors fans most likely will too. Critics be darned.

1. A very, very good videogame: another brilliant evolution of Koei's unique interpretation of the real-time strategy genre, and every bit as satisfying as previous efforts. What it lacks in terms of the speed and immediacy of, say, Gundam Musou, it makes up for with strategic range, design ingenuity, and conceptual novelty. [JPN Import]
  2. PSM Magazine
    Although it's cool that you can customize your army and equipment and change sides in the battle whenever you wish, Bladestorm is just too repetitive to be worth $60. [Dec 2007, p.89]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    With all these hiccups, I'm shocked this war lasted one year, let alone 100. [Dec 2007, p.109]