3.5

1. Mar 19, 2014
    Worst game I've ever played. am so pissed about how bad this is. I wish I never bought it or played it. Can't even describe how bad this piece of junk is. I would rather play tetris for 10 hours.
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    Bodycount is a game at odds with itself. On one hand, you have a terrific cover-based mechanic (in my opinion) and lots of destructible cover. But on the other hand, you have everything else that could possibly suck about a game.

First, the good. This game has an extremely flexible cover mechanic that lets you lean and peek with the left-stick and literally be able to shoot through the tiniest cracks in cover and attack enemies at angles that are impossible in any other game. Coupled with the destructible cover, this core gameplay element is fairly unique and has potential.

However...well...it just gets worse from here. The rest of the game seems to neglect this interesting cover system mechanic altogether. First, ammo and explosives are so plentiful that using cover and picking off enemies is often second choice to running and gunning. This isn't helped by the fact that the enemies hardly use cover themselves and just stand out in the open or rush you. They can easily overrun you on the higher difficulties and frequently insta-kill you since the game seems to have area-specific damage on the player. I mean, you can have full health and just get killed on the spot by a regular enemy who happens to get lucky and shoot you in the head.

The level design doesn't help either since, while they seem good at first, you quickly find that the game has you going to the same levels over and over or back tracking through them over and over. Things feel extremely repetitive, especially since all you ever do in each level (aside from kill everyone) is press buttons. Everything you do in the game is looking for buttons to press. And once in a while, when you have to press a button and then guard the area, you find that there is hardly any cover. So the parts of the game where you would want to hunker down and use the cover system, the game puts you out in the open surrounded by enemies on all sides.

It also doesn't help that there is no story...at all. You are some silent protagonist from "The Network" that you never learn ANYTHING about, fighting against "The Target" who have been instigating civil wars in Africa and Asia. Inexplicably, your character goes through the levels killing everyone on all sides. This game has no characters, no plot twists, no events, no audiologs or datapads to give you history, and absolutely no sense of progression. Easily the most empty and hollow campaign you could have.

The game also has a skill-shot element that is completely pointless, and it would be an insult to Bulletstorm to even compare it to that game's vast "kill with skill" system. Basically, you get points for shooting enemies in the head or throwing explosives at them...and that's pretty much it. Given how inaccurate all of the guns are (being mostly of the full-auto type) and how the game relies on a completely obvious auto-aim feature (even when you have it turned off), the headshots rarely feel like headshots, and engaging enemies from far off from the safety of cover is often tedious and full of inaccurate bullet spraying. It would have been nice to have some kind of longer-range rifle, but apparently the game doesn't want you to play that way.

Lastly, there are some abilities you can charge up and use that include temporary invincibility, explosive bullets, calling-in an airstrike, and one other ability that seems to have no use whatsoever. All of them run on the same ability meter, so you pretty much do not want to use any of these abilities except the invincibility one. This is because you will likely die quickly when you run out in the open and run-and-gun, especially on the harder difficulties, so you have to stay behind cover and...well, sometimes there is no cover....so...you have to use the abilities...but they run out quickly...then you get surrounded on all sides by enemies...so you have to run-and-gun...and you can kill many of them because of how stupid they are...but there are so many of them...and sooner or later, one will get lucky and headshot insta-kill you, and you have to start over.

Anyway, whatever. I hate this game.
  3. May 27, 2013
    This game is a brand new level of racism. I've played it for a few hours now, and I killed hundreds of black people. Also they are the dumbest enemies in video game history, making the Goombas from Super Mario Brothers looking like geniuses. Broken controls and weak graphics, combined with a nonexistent story. Finally, about the multiplayer: naturally no one plays this broken piece ofThis game is a brand new level of racism. I've played it for a few hours now, and I killed hundreds of black people. Also they are the dumbest enemies in video game history, making the Goombas from Super Mario Brothers looking like geniuses. Broken controls and weak graphics, combined with a nonexistent story. Finally, about the multiplayer: naturally no one plays this broken piece of waste. The only good thing about this game is its price. You can get it for 5 dollars now, but please don't do it. Expand
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    This poor game, unloved and misunderstood by many. I can give this game a good score based on the fact I paid a fiver for it from the bargain table, honestly what can you get for 5 bucks? A burger? A beer? I'm not saying this game is better than a beer but it has given me more enjoyment than a single beverage and unlike a beer that ultimately trickles down the drain this title will beThis poor game, unloved and misunderstood by many. I can give this game a good score based on the fact I paid a fiver for it from the bargain table, honestly what can you get for 5 bucks? A burger? A beer? I'm not saying this game is better than a beer but it has given me more enjoyment than a single beverage and unlike a beer that ultimately trickles down the drain this title will be quietly circling the drain for years to come. I say well done Codemasters for creating titles for gamers with no money to buy A-list games. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    For a game that came out just last year, the graphics are not that good. Also the sensitivity is incredibly slow, so it takes a good few seconds to turn a full 360 degrees. The game play is fun, the guns are cool, and the enemies are fairly challenging.

But... As I said the graphics are quite bad and the game doesn't feel right when you play it, like it needs to be tweaked in a certain way. It is a good game but something about the game play just ruins it, so i give it a 6. 5 would have been mean because the game is good and it is fun...but something just isn't right about it.
  6. Nov 22, 2011
    Well, there's nothing you can say about this game but CODEMASTERS has messed up again for the quadrillionth time first ruining Operation Flashpoint and now BLACK (This game spiritual successor) yeah messed up controls, no iron sights, generic stuff, this game is rubbish pieces stuck together by an incompetent publisher, dont buy this and buy MW3 instead or BF3 or Batman or 10million other games
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    I played this game on release. It was fun. Finished the game and was still left confused by the lack of completion. It was like sonic the hedgehog was given a gun in a casino and told to shoot for free booze. This game is incomprehensible. Yet on the other hand it looks great and is completely addictive like a slots machine. Sound is great. If only the team who wrote 'Brink' got into thisI played this game on release. It was fun. Finished the game and was still left confused by the lack of completion. It was like sonic the hedgehog was given a gun in a casino and told to shoot for free booze. This game is incomprehensible. Yet on the other hand it looks great and is completely addictive like a slots machine. Sound is great. If only the team who wrote 'Brink' got into this you would have a smash. Online play was non existent when i played, cant imagine the traffic increasing. Expand
  8. Oct 15, 2011
    We all know that when the mechanics of an FPS don't work, the game falls apart, Well, in BODYCOUNT that's exactly the problem, and that isn't the only issue. The game's destructive shooting aspect is probably the best thing BODYCOUNT has to offer. Bullets always fire with satisfying ferocity and the sound design is quite decent. But man there are a hell of a lot of bugs and problems thatWe all know that when the mechanics of an FPS don't work, the game falls apart, Well, in BODYCOUNT that's exactly the problem, and that isn't the only issue. The game's destructive shooting aspect is probably the best thing BODYCOUNT has to offer. Bullets always fire with satisfying ferocity and the sound design is quite decent. But man there are a hell of a lot of bugs and problems that disappointed me and even frustrated me. First and foremost was the AI. Often times they'll stand around, oblivious to your existance, but other they are ruthless, ungodly so. Grenades will be thrown to insta-deaths frequently and you can die with such little damage taken. More annoying is that simple tropes and staples of modern FPS's don't really apply. No Iron sights, little cover from enemy fire and generally nothing that makes you feel like a badass. Couple this with eye bleeding graphics, hand holding mission objectives, a hammy excuse for a plot and repetition then you have one of the most unpolished games of the year. Admirable as some of the features are, BODYCOUNT is just too unforgiving and repetitive to engage you over the long haul. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2011
    The game is unfinished. You go to one place (similar) to another place ( similar) with no reason or plot, they left out the cut scenes and forgot to put in some sort of story. There are just 3 type of environment recycled over and over. The graphics is in LOW RESOLUTION, I'm not joking if I say that it looks a PS2 game. The mechanics are broken and unpolished. You can run over from checkThe game is unfinished. You go to one place (similar) to another place ( similar) with no reason or plot, they left out the cut scenes and forgot to put in some sort of story. There are just 3 type of environment recycled over and over. The graphics is in LOW RESOLUTION, I'm not joking if I say that it looks a PS2 game. The mechanics are broken and unpolished. You can run over from check point to check point without shooting most of the time. It's a really bad game, don't play it don't rent it, it is really a waste of time and power energy. Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2011
    This game fails in everything!!! I highly recommend NOT buying this game... This isn't even 10 bucks worth for a 4 hours campaign full of pain... Worst shooter ever so far!
  11. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is a... No, no. no. This is not a game! This is Biggest Video Game Fail Of The Year! I make a videoreview about that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9r3qIu_nU
  12. Sep 7, 2011
    Oh god, what an abomination. It's probably the worst game ever, making Call of Juarez: The Cartel look like a triple A. It looks bad, Bodycount's AI is nonexistent, online play is broken or simply doesn't work. Stay away from this.
  13. Sep 3, 2011
    This game is underrated and misunderstood, I'm not saying it deserves a 9 or even an 8 but at least a 7. It's great fun on a basic level and has a retro feeling to it. It reminds me of the good old fun rail shooter arcade games of the early 90 's.
  14. Sep 1, 2011
    this game sucks plain and simple.
    I'll start off by the most important thing in a first person shooter - multiplayer - it doesn't work out all. I've literally spend 3 hours trying to get a match to start with no luck. Everyone online is upset and complaining that they just wasted 60 dollars. and if you like single player and a great story, don't buy this game at all. Don't even rent it. I beat this game in about 2-4 hours. which is no where near enough for a 60 dollar purchase. The most exciting thing through the whole campaign is.....well NOTHING. Its just god awful. The storyline is awful, the gameplay is awful, and the AI is awful. It is probably one of the worst games of All time.
    I'm pissed and i want my money back.
  15. Sep 1, 2011
    this game sucks plain and simple.
    I'm pissed and i want my money back.

1. Nov 27, 2011
    Depressingly average. [Issue#210, p.88]
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    All in all, Bodycount provided a few hours of diversion, but I didn't get much more than that out of it. I certainly won't be dusting off this title out of my collection to play more.
  3. Guns are loud enough to give God perforated eardrums. [Nov 2011, p.106]