8.2

1. Oct 18, 2012
    Let me say this right off the bat: Borderlands 2 is not a bad game. Borderlands 2 is NOT a bad game!

On the surface, Borderlands 2 is a very good-looking, witty, polished shooter that seems like it would deliver everything the first game had to deliver, and some more. However, beneath that charming exterior lies an extreeeeeemely slow and repetitive shooter that makes anyone with a
    working gag reflex to put the game down and play with Microsoft Excel instead.

I loved the first Borderlands, I would play and play before sleep (and then not go to sleep), I loved the gameplay; the RPG and the First Person Shooter combination was unlike anything I ever seen, I remember thinking that Borderlands was everything I wanted Fallout 3 to be. So, what went wrong with the sequel?

First of all, do you recall the tutorial section of the first Borderlands where Claptrap escorts you around the bandit camp? That section took around 15 minutes and the game threw you into an open world, giving you a few quests to start yourself off. In Borderlands 2, someone thought it would be a marvelous idea to expand that 15 minutes of tutorial into a span of 2 hours, 2 mundane hours of you going through the same, boring, ice environment, listening to that poor excuse of a "funny little robot" called Claptrap yelling in your ear through the whole thing. I don't know about you, but I didn't find any gameplay in Borderlands 2 before reaching Sanctuary fun in any way shape or form.

Gameplay remains the same as the first Borderlands: Shoot and loot, there are tons of different guns with different stats, you can swap them in and out at any time in your inventory, you can equip different shields and grenade mods too, for those who have played the first game, this will feel familiar to you. Speaking of shoot and loot, the shooting is the main course of the game, it begins to feel repetitive and boring killing the same type of enemy over and over and over, with the occasional "badass" enemy or miniboss thrown in to slow you down, looting remains the same; you go to anything that has a green light and mash the loot button to loot stuff, although, 99% of the time, you won't find anything that's better than what you currently have and you'll end up selling the loot instead, which begs the question of why not just have cash as loot instead in the first place if it's not going to be better items.

My main complaint about Borderlands 2 is how slow the game feels, quests seems to drag on and on over long stretches of maps that feels longer than they should be, and to make maters worse, the quest rewards don't seem to be ever worth it; let me give you an example: I'm level 25 and I need 15k EXP to reach level 26, I look up some quests on the billboard that are around level 23 to level 25, and how much EXP do they give? 1000 EXP? Are you kidding me? That's not even 10% of what I need to reach the next level! The enemies barely give any EXP worth mentioning, so in the end, it's all just a huge waste of time. In the first game, you would be rewarded EXP for completing challenges, so maybe that's why this game feels so slow in the leveling compared to the first, I don't mind the "Badass Tokens" system they implemented in this one for completing challenges, but why can't we have EXP on top of that?

My final gripe of this game is the so-called "humor". I'll be honest, I didn't find the humor in the first game funny, but the writing was tolerable, in Borderlands 2, the developers seemed so pleased with themselves that they decided to rub the humor in so hard that it will forever leave a shameful imprint of claptrap on your face. I watched a stream of someone playing the game for the first time and as soon as the "0 as a number" appeared in the intro, about 15 people in the chat went "Lol, that is so clever!"

...

Not... really... It was kind of uncomfortable to witness and I was surprised my brain didn't slip out of my nostrils to escape further humiliation.

In conclusion, I would say that Borderlands 2 is not worth £40 (I paid £60 for the Collector's Edition...), maybe pick it up at £15 if you really want to, but I say stick with the first game, if you haven't played the first one and you're really aching for a quirky, first person shooter with RPG elements, then I say definitely pick this up.
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    One word review: BOREDLANDS...
    Oh my god, it IS boring...

An awful sad, boring to the teeth game. Even worst than the ridiculous first installment, this train wreck of a game is dull, predictable and generic to the extreme. Same old same old mediocre FPS game disguised as a very bad written RPG. Avoid at all costs.
  3. Oct 7, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is game for pshyco`s, with graphics that suck like hell, and all you do is go and kill, the whole series is stupid, all its made is for killing and killing and not using your mind, to me this game is pointless, the only thing i see in this game is to kill 2 million people. It`s stupid once again it is a pointless game and does not make sense at all, i have to agree with these 16 bad reviews. It has no sense, i don`t know why people are giving 9`s and 10`s to this game totally not worth it. Overall i say, there is no goal except killing, the graphics suck, like the shadows. So i wouldnt pay much for this game to me it`s worth something like 10 to 15$, it doesnt look realistic. I dont know if you agree with me or not. But this is my review, i respect yours and you should respect mine. thank you. Expand
  4. Nov 12, 2012
    Wow. I can't believe this game is so critically acclaimed. After all the hype, I figured I would try it out. What a waste of money that was. I found this game to be boring. Endless fetch quests, boring and cliche story, and annoying characters. I honestly wouldn't recommend buying this game unless you find a game of the year edition in a $10 bargain bin one day, but even then you probably won't have much fun with it. Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    Terrible awful game designed for 3 year olds. Avoid like the plague just awful awful awful awful cr@p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Dec 1, 2012
    Great game when it works, but what's the point when the game is so riddled with glitches, the game is unplayable? Unless you like to waste your time building characters only to have your hard work deleted, avoid this game. Gearbox Software is a joke. They have no idea how to fix the glitch and when you visit their forums, they greet you with a particularly offensive brand of Programmer's Superiority Complex. What do they care? They have our money. They shouldn't get yours. They won't get mine again. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    I call it "Boringlands". The first one was something new with it's candy looks and shooter RPG mix, but this? This should be one big DLC. Graphics are the same. Locations looks the same. Enemies looks the same. Weapons looks the same, etc. Storyline? What storyline? The worst thing about this game are it's quests made with copy+paste routine. Take this, go there, collect 5 of these, give 10 of those, go back and turn in the quest. Expand
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    well gearbox has crated this title which once was my favorite company could they regain there reputation nope. just another money grabbing game why this game is rated so high is beyond me absolute money grabbers wont be buying another Gearbox game again.
  9. Oct 18, 2012

working gag reflex to put the game down and play with Microsoft Excel instead.

...

1. Jan 26, 2014
    What the original Borderlands did so well has been grabbed and near perfected with this sequel. The comedy may be hit and miss, but it thrives on its shooting and loot grabbing. Many hours of fun will await you in Pandora.
    Borderlands 2 is huge, intense and addictive.
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    It's a lengthy adventure full of personality, an endless plethora of weapons, and addictive co-op gameplay. Fans of the first game would be foolish to pass up another chance to visit Pandora and plunder the incalculable treasures therein.