7.9

1. TrentR
    Dec 17, 2009
    1 hour of cool setting, 1 hour of decent gameplay, 38 hours of repetitive grinding. This isn't a game, it's a part-time job.
  2. MiKE
    Dec 20, 2009
    I really liked the concept, graphics, and humor of the game. Started playing it for 4 hours non stop and i was hooked! So why the 0 rating you ask? As soon as I go to level 13, the game became incredible hard! I was fighting enemies who became suddenly a level 12 and on top of that once I had a 10 min battle with them and defended them. They would RESPAWN once again. Whats the point in I really liked the concept, graphics, and humor of the game. Started playing it for 4 hours non stop and i was hooked! So why the 0 rating you ask? As soon as I go to level 13, the game became incredible hard! I was fighting enemies who became suddenly a level 12 and on top of that once I had a 10 min battle with them and defended them. They would RESPAWN once again. Whats the point in killing them, only for the SAME enemies to respawn back again. Now for hardcore gamers this could be fun as I read on some forums, but for a causual gamer its just annoying and fustrating! Why couldn't there be an option in the menu allowing enemies not to respawn? And whats the point in being a level 13 when the skag all of the sudden become a level 12? Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2011
    This game is even more boring than Diablo. In Diablo, you get bored 10 minutes in. In Borderlands, you're immediately bored! This game made me want to repeatedly slam my head against a car door. It's that boring. Think of watching two walls dry, then going outside on a 90 degree day to watch the grass grow.
  4. PierL
    Dec 12, 2009
    This game is seriously flawed on the PS3, sound clipping, frame rate issues and a bunch of game breaking bugs. Wish I didnt buy it at this point, the game itself is fun, but it feels like it was never tested. Bugs in a console game are unacceptable, this game was obviously released before it was done, buyer beware.
  5. Jun 1, 2011
    i dont like this game plain and simple. the graphics are top notch and the comedy is funny added with an origanal story but i didnt like it for multiple reasons. first off i would like to point out that when you first start out the game throws extreamly hard to kill ennemies at you and they will hunt you down until you are deadwhich is not fun as well as when you finally kill them theyi dont like this game plain and simple. the graphics are top notch and the comedy is funny added with an origanal story but i didnt like it for multiple reasons. first off i would like to point out that when you first start out the game throws extreamly hard to kill ennemies at you and they will hunt you down until you are deadwhich is not fun as well as when you finally kill them they respawn. i constantly found myself in the situation of trying to kill one group of ennemies on one side of me then have ennemies i already killed come at me from behind and then get attacked from all sides and the fact thet they are always tough to kill does not add to the fun but only decreases. i also could not stand the bugs as they kept me from actually playing the game and i kept getting frustrated with it. i had no idea of this games existance until recently when i heard from a friend of mine that it was great but i wish i had never heard of it and i saved my money. i can see how some people would like the challenges with this game but for me it was just too much work to get through so bewarned that this game is not for everyone Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    I really don't understand all the positive reviews this game got. I find this game incredibly unplesant to play. First of all the frame rate is terrible the entire time I'm playing it was giving me a headache because of the slow frame rate. I don't know if this was a problem exclusively on my ps3 or if anyone else experienced it. The game play is reduandant as it's just basically getI really don't understand all the positive reviews this game got. I find this game incredibly unplesant to play. First of all the frame rate is terrible the entire time I'm playing it was giving me a headache because of the slow frame rate. I don't know if this was a problem exclusively on my ps3 or if anyone else experienced it. The game play is reduandant as it's just basically get mission, kill a bunch of dumb AI's that can spot you a mile away and just run and shoot at you, than repeat onto the next mission. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the enemies become increasingly harder as the story progress to a point where I need to spend hours leveling up just to be in par with the enemies. This game was a pain to play. Expand
  7. Jan 13, 2012
    Tried the Full Game 1hour demo, a waste of my time downloading. This game is a bad-cartoony version of Fallout and sadly if you bought this i would recomened burning it an going to buy Fallout 3
  8. Mar 19, 2012
    Alright. This game is not a game for RPG fans, it's for first person shooter fans. Speaking from an RPG perspective, everything about this game absolutely sucks. The split screen doesn't split the screen properly if you play with friends (in the menus), all the quests are fetch quests (kill this 7 of these monsters), there is no character development, the story is horrendous, and theAlright. This game is not a game for RPG fans, it's for first person shooter fans. Speaking from an RPG perspective, everything about this game absolutely sucks. The split screen doesn't split the screen properly if you play with friends (in the menus), all the quests are fetch quests (kill this 7 of these monsters), there is no character development, the story is horrendous, and the ending contains no closure. Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2012
    Boringlands is what this game should be called. Not a big fan of the art direction, hated character animations, and was not satisfied with the shooting mechanics at all....boring!
  10. Jan 21, 2013
    Interesting graphic style, or just lazy programmers I would have to be in favour of the latter. I gave this game a go as I am a big fan of massive open world RPG, but this game is truly awful in every sense. Poor programming, poor controls, poor weaponry, poor scenery, just a truly terrible game and difficult to immerse in not to mention the whopping great chunk of HDD space it takes up.Interesting graphic style, or just lazy programmers I would have to be in favour of the latter. I gave this game a go as I am a big fan of massive open world RPG, but this game is truly awful in every sense. Poor programming, poor controls, poor weaponry, poor scenery, just a truly terrible game and difficult to immerse in not to mention the whopping great chunk of HDD space it takes up. Do yourself a service and leave this one on the bargain table and buy fallout3 instead and you won't be disappointed because if you buy this game you will be sorry, particularly after meeting craptrap the most annoyingly voiced npc in the history of gaming, don't believe me? See for yourself. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2015
    I can't help wonder what has happened to gaming and gamers when a game like this gets so many good reviews. I understand that with games opinion and different tastes plays a big part in what people think of a game, but there are always elements that can be looked at objectively. There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't say they are bad games, or give them bad reviews becauseI can't help wonder what has happened to gaming and gamers when a game like this gets so many good reviews. I understand that with games opinion and different tastes plays a big part in what people think of a game, but there are always elements that can be looked at objectively. There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't say they are bad games, or give them bad reviews because I personally don't like them. The problems with this game, however, go way beyond different tastes in games. I could probably fill a small book while describing everything that is wrong with this game, but since I have limited space and time I will just list some of the worst problems.

Let's start with the absurd cheating that is passed off as AI. I understand that AI in gaming isn't to the point that you can make a game without giving certain advantages to the non human AI in a game, such as there are a lot more of them than you and they may have better armor, sometimes better weapons, the element of surprise, better cover, etc., but this game doesn't even try to have AI, it just substitutes over the top cheating for AI. The enemies often have much worse weapons than you but they are far more accurate, do much more damage, and shoot right through, or around cover to hit you. When they take cover, however, the laws of physics change. Whereas they can hit you in almost any cover you choose to take, they are programmed to be safe in cover. When they duck down behind a low barrier with just a little bit of their head exposed, for instance, no matter how many times you hit that exposed part of their head they will not take damage.When they hit you you take significant to massive damage, but you can hit them in the head repeatedly and they will still not die a LOT of the time. Apparently, you are supposed to not just hit them in the head, but in the nose. Even then it may just say critical hit and they go right on fighting. Which brings us to yet another way the game cheats, the game gives way too many hit points to even common enemies. When I finally decided the game was just garbage and quit, stubbornly waiting far too long before doing so, (level 24) I had a total of 760 hit points, including my health and my shield, and it was absolutely meaningless. A psycho could still run up behind you and kill you with one or two strokes of an axe. On the other hand, when shooting enemies you could see the damage being rung up as you hit them, sometimes hundreds of points in damage with each hit, and they still went right on fighting. Then there is the ridiculous re-spawning and enemies healing themselves as you fight them even though they already have many other advantages. At one point I killed all of the enemies in one part of a level and as I was fighting the next group the enemies that I had just killed re-spawned and started attacking me from behind! Then some of the enemies keep healing themselves while you are fighting them. This is artificial intelligence?

Then there is the financial and weapons systems. What a joke. You lose an absurd amount of money each time you die. When I quit I was losing 8,000 plus when I died even though the reward for completing the mission was less than that! Can game developers really be this stupid? One of the supposedly great things about Borderlands is that there are supposed to be lots of different weapons. What good is randomly creating thousands of different weapons when the vast majority of them are crap? You find weapons everywhere but I hardly found anything that was good for anything other than selling for money so I could afford to keep playing. Exciting. I'm well aware of what the term grinding means, but people seem to be using this term, and saying there is a lot of it, in place of criticizing ridiculous flaws. Yes, all games are repetitive to some extent, but Borderlands seems to think agonizingly stretching out the game with frustration, repetition, and monotony is a valuable gaming component.

I should give you a frame of reference so that you can know something about me as a gamer, because it is inevitable that some people will respond with the usual: "You are the kind of person who just quits without even really trying", or "you just suck at games", or "you must not play many games". You get the picture. Well, I do play quite a few games, and I have been doing so for a very long time. I do understand that there are a lot of people who are more skilled at it than I am, but also quite a few that are not as good. I'm pretty sure I am at least average. The most recent games I have played and completed (and thought were excellent games) are Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Sleeping Dogs, but I have played and completed a wide range of games such as the Grand theft Auto Series, the Torchlight series, (which, like all RPGs involves "grinding"), Tomb Raider, the Bioshock series, Tomb Raider, etc. As far as a game that compares with this game, Stalker was great.
  12. Dec 9, 2013
    SERIOUSLY!!!??BEST FPS GAME OF THE YEAR??This game is so boring and hard(should be impossible)i've played through for like 4 hours and it's kinda get more boring and insanely hard.i'm lv 11 and stuck at a mission(slegde:safehouse)the enemies are all lv 15 or 14,takes me respawned 3-6 times to kill one of them.Game is about relax and make you feel like u ownss the enemies not the enemies owns u!!!
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    Online: Just people running into each other, going way to fast, shooting everything, not working together and respawning all the time.
    Offline couch co-op 2 player: One always knows where to go and the other one does not. Using the map all the time one player is constantly waiting for the other. The too large open world without much in it doesn't help either.
    Offline single player:
    Offline single player: Constant grinding, grinding grinding, waay toooo long game (50 hours?), no story to speak off, respawning enemies, no humor, an ugly empty world, constant dying and respawning until you've reached a high enough level to beat a certain enemy.

In short: a terrible game.

I give this game 2/10 for a couple of reasons: The gameplay and controls aren't bad at all and leveling up and using abilities can be fun. There is potential in the different guns you have and the balance between then is good (like diablo).
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    Forced myself to finish this game(43+ hours) ,my save got corrupted n didn't even bother playing it again ,way to much grinding.....I'd say it's only fun if ur playing it with friends ,if you're planning on playing Borderlands single player.. Save your money

Call it a first-person Diablo, an evolution of Resistance 2's co-op mode, Monster Hunter for the west, or a party game for FPS gamers. Call it the best example of the transformative power of multiplayer. Whatever you designate it, Borderlands is a decent single-player FPS/RPG that simply becomes great -- when playing with others.
  2. It's also one of those games that's so strong in parts that its shortcomings become almost glaring by comparison. As such, the game's barebones story, lackluster AI, and insufficient player trading options are real disappointments that prevent the game from reaching its full potential. But when you're frantically trying to stay alive while getting swarmed by an angry horde of gigantic spiderants, chances are you won't care much about that other stuff.
    It's something action role-playing game fans looking for an experience more up-close and brutal than genre entries of the third-person variety should have a blast with, and one of the more memorable products of 2009.