5.8

1. May 10, 2011
    Brink is an interesting concept, and has solid fundamental gameplay, but it does have a few flaws. Let me first state that this is a review of Single player only. As of writing this review, the PSN is still down. So, lets touch on the first blemish; whoever said these bots were going to be like players, must have modeled them after the mentally impaired. The bots are clearly bugged. They have one strategy: bumrush everything. Even if their whole team going into that corridor has gotten them killed three times, they will try it again and again. Human players MUST win games for bot teams. Like many bots you may have previously encountered, these frequently stumble around as if in a daze, sometimes completely ignorant to your presence. This is especially annoying if they are a medic and you require healing, or laughable if they are an enemy. I assume these will be patched. Secondly, the story is a bit short, I assume there will be DLC extending it as is apparently the norm with modern video games. Third; there are some minor graphical issues, textures typically need a few seconds to load their normal rez models. Usually this is sorted at the start of a match, so it isn't too bad. Overall the graphics are rather nice, and the cartoonish-hybrid style works. Issue four; Defense maps are heavily slanted in the defender's favor. Engineers are able to almost instantly undo the work of soldiers and operatives that may have taken a minute or more. Defenders can instantly ship "flag" type packages back to their start location, rather than be required to carry them back. Its something more acceptable in a CTF setting, but not in a timed objective game like this. To have five minutes of fighting and running erased by five seconds of activating a flag-item, sending it to it's base is ridiculous. Issue Five: The weaponry does not really explain what it does very well. For example; you may pick out an assault rifle assuming it to be a fully automatic weapon, only to find in actual combat that it is a single shot or burst fire gun. SMGs tend to be extremely powerful in close range combat, which is the order of the day in brink. Assault rifles seem to fire much slower despite having a similar or identical "refire rate" stat bar. Honestly the gear just generally needs more in-game data for the player. The stat bars may as well not even exist when they just don't give you real information about the weapon. Additionally there is no easy way to compare two firearms. In all honesty I am probably being a bit harsh on this game, perhaps because of all the hype. It introduces some interesting features which future FPS games really should incorporate, and if only a few of my concerns were patched into acceptability I would give this a ten, and I am very stingy with my ten scores. Expand
  2. May 10, 2011
    Although psn is down i have still had a amazing time on custization and singleplayer which is great although the singleplayer is a bit cheasy, but the actual gameplay is wicked!
  3. May 10, 2011
    This is a very good game buy it I have over 150 games and this is very close to my perfect game up there with mgs4 bad company 2 and 007 night fire it should have a better story but it's more multiplayer than single player 9.4/10
  4. May 10, 2011
    simply amazing parkour is amazing the story is not that much but it can lengthen the entire contents of weapon skills and equipment is amazing I just wish that PSN already set to start playing online us online ... a great masterpiece ...
  5. May 10, 2011
    this game is amazing, once psn is back it will really come into its own. been reading the xbox reviews of online and not a bad word atm :D
    customisation is epic, the SMART button is awesome... one to watch here
  6. May 10, 2011
    From the Minute I stepped into Brink and created my character, I knew I was playing something different than the oft mentioned Battlefield, Call of Duty and Halo. I was transported into an environment that was unique and extremely cool in a stylistic manner. I found the introduction of movement unhampered by canned animation refreshing and the reliance on tactics and skill a welcome relief. The objective basis of Brink brings a fresh dynamic that allows numerous strategies and direction. This game is not meant to be populated by one type of player, but is made for a diversity of needs and desires. This is where the game excels. It allows me to get my Secret Operative on, who gathers information and infiltrates the enemy lines or be the engineer, changing the flow of battle and the landscape. I can run and gun as a soldier or be the man that everyone wants in their corner, the medic. In addition, I loved the storyline and plot. The two sides of the coins are demonstrated well in the cutscenes. Even more depth is giving to the story by the actual environment and information picked up around the way. The bots were not great by any mean, but I am not playing for the bots, I am playing for the MINGLEPLAYER. The ability to run through the game with others and still complete the campaign. Occasionally running through the regular campaign and finding myself facing real players on the other factions makes the unpredictability increase 10 fold. I personally decided to forego the use of S.M.A.R.T. (Smooth movement across randomized terrain) and manually mantle and slide through the environments. The shock to the opposing faction when I come sliding through a staircase or piping system and kicking an opposing player is unparalleled. There is a constant tension about where someone can approach... from above? Below? Behind ME? MY TEAMMATE!!!!.... I absolutely love it. This game has met and exceeded my expectations with the ease of dropping in and out of games, creating FIRETEAMS when I want to play with my friends and providing me and atmosphere unlike anything I have played. Oh yeah, I love the sound system. You can literally tell what is occurring around the corner by the sounds.... footsteps and grenades and weapons all have distinct sounds that make playing superbly immersive. I could go on and on, but I think I will stop here. Expand
  7. May 11, 2011
    Brink. When I first saw this game sometime last year, I didn't think much about it. Fast forward to January 2011, I couldn't wait for it. When I opened it and popped it in, I was not disappointed. Brink is a game unlike any other, mixing fast paced shooter action with team and objective based gameplay. The amount of guns is, while not too much, it isn't too small. You have your shooter basics: assault rifles, sub-machine guns, pistols, shotguns, rifles, and light machine guns. Joining the fray are: a heavy machine gun (The Chinzor), a minigun (The Gotlung), an auto shotgun (The Hjammerdeim), and an automatic grenade launcher (The E-Z Nade Launcher). These weapons, while restricted to the heavy body type, add the support role to the long list of things you can do to advance your team in combat. This game is not about kills. Just killing will get you no where. You need to work as a team, completing objectives. In one mission, you must escort a maintenance bot from the beginning to a bio-weapons lab in Container City. If the bot breaks down, engineers must go and repair it. This road is heavily guarded, so soldiers can set their objective to destroy a barricade that would provide an alternate flanking route to the bot. Medics are a necessity, as their ability to revive incapacitated team mates proves invaluable in a heavy firefight. Operatives can sneak behind enemy lines disguised as an enemy (similar to TF2's Spy) and hack enemy turrets to fire on them. If you don't do the objective, you lose. As the trailer says, this game is about movement. Move more than you shoot, and you have a greater chance of getting the objective done. In that same mission, instead of shooting the enemies firing at me, I sprinted for the bot to repair it, and I managed to take cover behind the bot and repair it at the same time, saving my ass while helping the team. Had I even tried to turn around and shoot, I would have been dead. Working as a team is the only way to win. Next, on to character and weapon customization. You don't start out with much, but by the time you are level twenty, the highest level, you will have everything. When Splash Damage says there are over one hundred and two QUADRILLION different characters that can be created, they tell no lie. There isn't even a fraction of that amount of people on Earth. Weapon customization isn't lacking either. There are hundreds of ways you can customize your gun with attachments that you are guaranteed to find a combination of guns and attachments you like. My personal favorite guns are the Rokstedi with Adjusted Iron Sights, Vertical Grip, Rapid Fire, and Dual Vent Muzzle Break, and the Sea Eagle with Adjusted Iron Sights, Up Vent Muzzle Break, Speed Sling, and Rapid Fire. Now, this game has it's flaws, but these are easily overlooked when you actually play the game just to have fun. SO, I recommend this game to anyone looking for a different kind of shooter. Thank you for your time. Expand
  8. May 14, 2011
    I don't understand why there has been a lot of negative reviews about BRINK. To me, BRINK is fantastic. It is very unique and that perhaps may be the reason many people have been slating it. I think everyone is too used to playing call of duty and just don't get the new approach to an online FPS. If you liked star wars battlefront, you WILL like BRINK
  9. May 12, 2011
    This game is not perfect, but finally something different than the "realistic" plethora of CoD shooters. If you are looking for a solid SP campaign, stay away, this game is meant to be played online and it's a lot of fun. Graphics are great (something different, mix between Borderlands, Bioshock and Fallout), Sound is awesome (great gun noise and footstep sounds), weapons have a nice feel, much content with many things to unlock. Graphics 9/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Sound 9/10
    Story 5/10
    Longevity 8/10

Overall 9/10

Absolutely no fail game.
  10. May 16, 2011
    First off, this game is wonderful. When I first got the game I played all single player because PSN was down. I had a blast. The game mechanics are absolutely incredible, and the use of parkour is such an incredible thing to have in a FPS. It is something that I have always wanted in a game--the ability to climb that ledge or jump over that box that most FPS just won't let you do--they were once impassable mountains and now they are just another obstacle to leap and bound over. The challenges is where I started--and they definitely help you to learn the mechanics and learn how to play with what the game is offered. This game is all about movement. Shooting is necessary, but it doesn't feel like the only thing in the game. I think this is my major heat with other FPS--you just shoot and it ends up getting old. Team oriented gameplay is what I look for in games. And I can't praise this game enough for making it a requirement to work as a team. You can not just run and gun in this game--there are no Rambos allowed in this game...you will be plowed over. You need your team to guard, complete objectives, buff your health, buff your guns, and buff just about anything to keep you alive and kicking to take out more enemies and give you sufficient time to hack/fix/bomb/guard your objectives. Its great fun. I give this game a 9 because I don't think many have given it a fair score. Yes, there are a few issues with the game...mainly Poor AI on your team...and great AI on the opposing team. Meaning your Bots suck while the opposing Bots are incredible. Also, there have been some lag issues while playing on line--but i blame this on my connection and PSN just coming back online--PSN is extremely busy right now with dishing out updates and a mass flood of people getting back online. But to be fair to SplashDamage...they have been very...no...EXTREMELY active in providing updates/feedback/patches/and information relating to online issues--which enthuses me--because I know they are in this game for the long haul. They want the game to be better--and they are addressing the issues that fans bring up. Not to mention they are providing a free DLC with new maps and new content in June.

I would recommend this game to individuals that enjoy team based games. This is not just a run and gun Rambo game--its not about how many kills you get..or how many headshots...its about working together to complete the objectives---and using your XP to better your character skills and attributes--in order to help out in completing those objectives the best you can.

Love the game.....Haters will be haters--and anyone that gives this game a 0 is over reacting---hell anything below a 6 is overreacting and just hoping to skew the review score.
  11. May 12, 2011
    This game is love it or hate it. It is very teamwork focused almost impossible to go lone wolf. There are few one hit kills or sniping. There is only one game mode (similar to rush from BC2) and Brink doesn't have "realistic" graphics. But if you don't care about these or can get past it Brink provides a very refreshing change to the standard FPS formula and is one hell of a ride.
  12. May 14, 2011
    First off stop reviewing this game badly because there is no PSN at the moment, it's a great game that's fairly fast paced and a "thinking man's shooter". The way XP is given out encourages players to work as a team, and the modes are decent and the customisation is great. Definitely recommend this game and the wait for online is fine by me.
  13. May 16, 2011
    This game is great! Seriously why give it a 6.5 or a 73!? This game has a solid structure. Sure its frustrating sometimes but this game is great. Its the character progression and customization that makes it kick ass great.
  14. May 18, 2011
    Teamfortress 2 + Call of Duty 4 = Awesome

Fun RPG character development and always on servers making this a great toy out of the box. That is of course if playstation ever goes online again.
  15. May 15, 2011
    So after the reviews I almost decided not to get BRINK although I had pre-ordered it. Normally if it's a game I really don't know that much about or the developer I will hang back. The graphics reminded me of Borderlands (which I thoroughly enjoyed) so eventually I made my way to the store and got it. Honestly, I haven't been disappointed and I really wonder what people are looking at in viewing this game. Yes, the single player is meaningful yet cheesy. I think it just primes you up for the multi-player experience. It is a team concept game even in single player and although your teams AI can be pretty bad it hasn't taken away from my fun. I usually like to do things on my own anyway, so if they don't get it the objectives, they can just back me up which they seem to do a good job of anyway. I personally think once PSN goes up, which it did for awhile today EVERYONE will have fun playing the multi-player. It's a fresh new concept, good gun play, great customization and it really does deserve a score better then 6.5. I am well versed in the FPS genre, having owned about every FPS out there. If you are just getting it for single player action, although fun, stay away. It's just a warm up to multi-player. Overall, good choice for me and something to relieve the boredom of COD in wait for BF3. Expand
  16. May 15, 2011
    Great Game, resembles, Team fortress/Shadow Run the game is solid, and balanced. Challenges are very hard, Cant wait for psn to come back on so i can get online and try that out. all together a 9.5 very pleased with this purchase. If your looking for a game like Cod or battlefield walk away, if you don't mind trying something new pick it up and give it a spin.
  17. May 15, 2011
    It is really sad that this game is getting so many bad reviews because PSN is down and because some of the lag issues on the other platforms, oh how it could have been so much better if splash damage had waited 2 more weeks to get it released. I really loved everything about it. The graphics are lovely, if you like borderlands style cartoony graphics and the parkour is great and could have had a bigger role. The gameplay and teamplay are amazing if you can get good teammates and/or friends on your side. The story could have been a bit more engaging but I really liked it. It really is meant to be online based, so the fact that PSN is down kind off prevents you from appreciating the full game, anyways its a great game, and I would suggest buying it after PSN gos back online and the new DLC comes out Expand
  18. May 16, 2011
    I was really hyped for this game. When I got my hand on it I was really disappointed and felt cheated.
    But after a few hours I got into the game and the gameplay became really fluid and very fun.
    It still has flaws but it will be patched amazing game if you play online. The story for me is enough to give a great mood for the whole.
    I love this game, just don't ragequit guys
  19. Aug 20, 2011
    Great game. Currently my shoot of choice to play. When I first got it, I put it down after a few hours. I almost gave up on it. It plays out a lot different than the current trend of shoots. There are no "one-hit-kills", there is no spawn camping, there is no sitting in a tower or bush with a sniper all day. You can't run in to a crowd of people by yourself and mow them down. You HAVE to work with your team, whether that be bots or humans. With all the recent patches, the bots are awesome now. Online is almost LAG free (it's P2P so it depends on who's in the game). This game doesn't even keep track of your KDR or kill count (in game), but rather gives XP based on how well you fulfilled your role as whatever class you played as....which is a great twist to the shooter genre. Expand
  20. Nov 27, 2011
    I dont Get Why People Rant on it. Its A really Good Break From traditional FPS Games Like CoD or Halo. But Overall ITs Not A Bad Game. The Parkour IS Really Usefull. Its Basicly Like A Improved Team Fortress 2 .
  21. Oct 11, 2012
    I honestly suggest this to any fan of First Person Shooting this game brings alot to the table Customization, A Great Experience, Shooting,Shooting, more shooting and of course PARKOUR which is basically jumping over obstacles or sliding through stuff and climbing stuff anyways the game is A great and Tremendous change over Call of duty which is not doing very well due to mw3 sucking bad!! and battlefield which has had mixed opinions about it but here we have an OLD-SCHOOL "Enemy Territory" kind of game which in my opinion the best style for a action FPS especially when theres multiplayer involved BUT BUT BUT (only for the ps3 version) it has lag even when updated PLUS no ones playing online which is sad coz i would love to play this with friends or anyone really its a great game and my final verdict is a 9/10 its a must buy and u should totally pick up Expand
  22. Apr 22, 2014
    I actually thought this game was pretty good. While yes, there were some issues with the lag, that happened to me very rarely. I enjoyed the fast parkour and gunning down foes after hopping over a object or sliding under one. In my opinion, a very underrated game, and still a good time to play with friends.
  23. Jun 28, 2011
    Brink brings fast-paced Action to the Shooter market - very well. The things that Brink boasts the most (e.g. The Objective Wheel, Free-Running, Character Customisation etc.) really fade into the background and do not add too much to the actual game; however, Brink is a truckload of fun. Find a friend or two, and this game will bring you hours and hours of enjoyment - and then some. However, three things really disappointed me about Bethesda's latest masterpiece: You can only play Campaign missions (no deathmatches/capture the flag/king of the hill etc.), the lack of objectives on The Objective Wheel, and the lack of importance/difference between each of the four classes. Collapse

1. Brink is essentially a mess of interesting ideas that fail to amount to anything larger. [Aug 2011, p.86]
  2. Jun 26, 2011
    You can get a sense of the minute-to-minute gunplay being something special with the right group of friends. [Issue#206, p.87]
  3. Get/bribe some mates and there's a great game here. [July 2011, p.92]