8.6

1. Jun 30, 2014
    90/100: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a short but great experience available on the PlayStation 3! The sad but wonderful story is amazing and graphically it looks really good. The way to interact between the two main characters works fine although sometimes it feels a bit clunky. It's a great little experience!
  2. Jun 21, 2014
    An interesting co-op-with-yourself puzzle, adventure game. Brothers is an interesting, sombre journey with quirky puzzles and a gimmicky control system. Its a bit predictable and short but it does well what it sets out to achieve. You never really get the hang of controlling the brothers and I doubt this type of control system will ever catch on. It makes an attempt at emotion but doesn't reach the heights of The Last of Us or The Walking Dead; honestly the emotion feels a little bit phoned in. I did like it though, there are some very cool creatures, and like I said some of the puzzle solutions, although simple enough, are pretty cool 8/10 Expand
  3. Jun 11, 2014
    Brothers: the tale of two sons. wht t say about this art. its just amazing.

Grafics 12/20 - It is beautyfull, but its not tht well done as i think tht they didnt caring tht much was intencional i give then this grade.

Campaign 18/20 - i have to say tht its short, but in only 2~3 hours at most if you kinda slow, it really make you feel this time, its intense, you feel the history. the
    main and the side-historys even without understanding any word, you really feel the history, is amazing.

Gameplay 15/20 - then you come: WHT THE HELL the gameplay is awlfull, yeah at first it seems so, but it has to be hard so the game becomes kinda hard too. the gameplay is indeed very good, cause the controls aswer very well.

Difficulty 10/20 - other than the controls the game is very eazy.

Fun 20/20 - you dont play this game, you feel it. its very fun when its suposed to, very sad when suposed to etc.

Overall 83/100
  4. Jun 4, 2014
    This game was absolutely amazing. From the beginning to the very end you build a relationship with the brothers that just immerses you into the game. At times the controls added a bit of difficulty ,but that was one of the cool features is controlling two people at once.
    This games pretty much has it all, they did add a lot of emotional parts to it too which is what made me really like
    it! I've never really felt so attached to characters before until I played this game.... and as the game progresses you can see the characters progress too. 10/10 would recommend to anyone who wants a good story. Only bad thing I would have to say which didn't affect it too much for me was that the game was a bit too short but for 14.99 it's a very good deal! I hope starbreeze makes a part 2!! Expand
  5. May 14, 2014
    At first I wasn't sure if I'd get involved in the story since I didn't really liked the promotional art. I'm really happy I continued my purchase. It is an absolutely beautiful game with interesting puzzles and a beautiful and moving story. Very nice! A must play!
  6. May 7, 2014
    This game will touch your heart with the story, the graphics and specially the music. The puzzles are great . on overall the game is great experience, with the right size of the story.
  7. May 2, 2014
    This game is short and sweet, but it holds a certain beauty that is rare in a game. It captures a sense of adventure and emotion that I enjoyed thoroughly - you'll be taken in by amazing surroundings in a world crammed with artistic flavour.

If you are the kind of person that fancies something different and appreciates a game that is story driven then this is a perfect compliment to
    your collection - you'll find the controls a little tricky at the start despite being very simple and you'll also find it a short game but it is an experience you rarely find in a game. Expand
  8. Apr 10, 2014
    TBH I was a bit apprehensive of the game at first purchase, because I wasn't sure if it seemed like it was going to be worth the money. However from the get go, I realized I made a very good purchase. I mean where to start. The characters whom are brothers (hence the title) have a relationship that links well with the gameplay. Both have unique styles and interactions with their surrounding/other people in the game. The story line is amazing, very sad, don't want to give away anything though so won't mention anything further. I also like how the initial story-line/dialogue is short and concise. I like how it starts you off playing the game almost instantly. The controls are easy to master and the gameplay is almost completely buttery smooth on the PS3. Finally the thing that made this game worth the high score of 9/10 from me is that at every point in the game the story line evolved and wasn't the whole rinse, lathe & repeat alot of other games have.

Major Pro of this game is it's unique style of having to controller 2 players at the same time

Only con is that it is a little short and you can never have too much of a good thing
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    I didn't even know what anyone was saying, but I understood all of it, nonetheless....

"Brothers" is a game that borders more on being an art-form than on just being a video game. You are forced, as the player, to pay attention to all the other 80% of communication that comes in the form of facial expressions, visual cues, posture, tone of voice, etc. in order to follow the story of
    these two sons journeying to find the cure for their father's illness.

We see in the very beginning how Nyee, the younger brother, watched firsthand as his mother drowned in the sea. Then at a slightly later point in time, he and his older brother, Nya, need to journey to the land of the giants to find a special cure for their ailing father. Along the way, we discover, through having the boys interact with in-game characters, exactly what they are like, personality-wise. Nya, the older brother, is responsible and considerate of others. Nyee is the goof who likes to have a lot of fun. And, we see their beautiful relationship with each other revealed as they encounter life-threatening situation after life-threatening situation.

The gameplay is difficult at first, but you get used to it after a little while. You use both sticks on your controller to move the boys at the same time, and at no point can they be physically too far away from each other. Imagine they both have a rope tied around their waists and that's how it plays (they literally have a rope between them for some platforming levels). Many puzzles and platforming require good coordination skills, so some may become frustrated as a result.

You play as both brothers, solving puzzles and figuring out how to get them from point A to point B. There is no combat in this game at all. Neither of these brothers has some sort of weapon or martial arts move-set to use against an enemy. They do face a couple of bosses, but they have to work together to outsmart them David vs. Goliath-style, minus the sling-shot.

Not only is the world amazing and the story poignant, enough to punch me in the gut harder than most stories ever have before, but this game is rich in symbolism. If you love symbolism, you will love trying to figure out what it all means. I think the giants serve to symbolize adulthood, and how the giants live their lives represents the loss of boyhood, childhood and innocence. Even Nya, the older brother, will find because of his age (early teens), he is more easily corruptible than his much younger brother, Nyee.

For $15, this is an experience like nothing else, and you won't be sorry you spent it on this game. You may feel like the only reason you're not jumping back in to play it again and again is simply because the game made you feel TOO much, and you need a break before returning to it.

Don't play this because you want a mind-numbing game to help you forget how crappy your life is. Play it because you want to question life itself and what your childhood really meant. Why did you have to leave it behind? And, to become what--a society-made monster? Perhaps you will realize you want to keep a piece of your former innocence with you at all times. This game is all about how tragic it is to lose that childhood innocence, especially at a young age.

I give this game either a 10 or at least a 9.5. It deserves every point.
  10. Mar 24, 2014
    I don't know how I should rate this game. But I will ignore the bugs and focus on the emotional effect of this game in addition to it's mind teasing controls with it's simple wonderful puzzles.
    For controls. It's different. Controlling 2 characters at the same time and making them interact with each other to help each other solve a puzzle or pass a certain area is really wonderful. I
    liked. Playing as the older brother and trying to save your younger brother who you also control will seed you with how strong this relation is. You'll love them both.
    During the game play there are lots of fun moments that will make you chuckle. Also there will be sad moments that will drive your emotions to the edge. Just listen to main theme of the soundtrack and you'll understand how sad these moments could be.
    Puzzles are fantastic. Not hard at all. yet still challenging because of mind teasing controls of controlling 2 characters at the same time to solve those puzzles.
    The story is remarkable. One of the best stories I ever played through. It was touching really. You'll feel it when you play it to the end.
    You'll wish you can be their third character inside the game to give a hand. It was that amazing.
    I'll give this game a 10/10
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    This is one of those games that I feel can be used to portray video games as art. With it's beautiful scenery, ability to tug at your emotions, and unique gameplay it reminds me a lot of "ICO". As far as emotionality goes I actually believe it manages to surpass "ICO," which is an incredibly impressive feat.

Controlling two playable characters can be a little awkward at times, but
    overall the gameplay makes great use of this feature and almost always feels fluid. With many memorable moments, a fantastic and emotional story, and fun gameplay I can't think of a reason for anyone to not get this. Yes it is incredibly short, and the only reason to replay it would be to collect all of the trophies, so the $14.99 price tag may seem a little steep, but I'm telling you it is worth it.

This downloadable gem gave me a more memorable experience than a lot of $60 have, and it is one that will stick with me for a very longtime. So do yourself a favor and buy this game. It's one of the most emotional experiences in gaming, and even though the price may be a bit too high you won't regret the purchase. It's art dang it. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing.
  12. Mar 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brothers is one of those games that gives the player a detailed visual feast but that leaves an essentially empty experience after finishing. Many reviewers have compared Brothers to the 2012 hit Journey, which is one of the reasons I was interested in playing this. However, barring use of a made-up language for the characters and some uncannily similar music scoring in the early parts of the game; I have to disagree and say that this is absolutely nothing like Journey in terms of story content, design, character, game play or even emotional response.

Based in a Brothers Grimm type of fairy story world; two brothers travel together encountering various creatures and people to find a magical cure for their father's illness. They sometimes help others, or at least interfere with others' lives, through side-quests but the gameplay is going to be a familiar linear experience for anyone used to platformers. There is no free-roaming exploration and for all the details fitted into some environments there is no opportunity to interact with anything that isn't specific to the story line trophies or puzzle-solving.

The puzzles themselves are pitched at a fairly basic level, with the main complexity coming from the control system for the two brothers and timing their individual button and stick movements. It's perfectly possible to get through the game with persistence rather than mastering the controls though.

Visually this is a rich, detailed and involving environment. It's not without some clunkiness in shaders, landscape and character design, but mostly it is a truly absorbing world going from homely villages to the wild mountains and far away ice lands. It really does feel like a gradually shifting and changing world. Which is why I've scored this as a five, because it's masterful in world building. I do think there is more than a little inspiration taken from other games though; Final Fantasy IX (The Ilfa tree, anyone?), Lord of the Rings (Mines of Moria) and Harry Potter-style gryphons, giants and castles.

The problems, for me, centre around how the story and characters are handled. It becomes especially disturbing from about the mid-point of the game, until then you have some fairly mild and stereotypical imagery. The turn towards pointless violence and meaningless cruelty is, presumably, meant to be a "modern" take on classic fairy stories. What it actually displays is a stunningly poor understanding of what fairy tales meant to people within their specific contexts. They often included a historically strong example of the morality of the time. In-game this story lacks any morality or commentary whatsoever, it's just violence and cruelty for the sake of moving the story along; until you get to the very end, where the apparent meaning is so undermining of the events that happened I thought the game was one nasty joke.

The choice of a made-up language, and exaggerated body language as cues, means that you have to guess what is going on at points. Everyone's interpretation will be different because there is almost zero discoverable backstory or explanation to the story, characters and their motivations.

***Spoilers start here****

There are so many tropes in this that if you were to make a drinking game out if you wouldn't be able to stand upright after twenty minutes. There's the mother who is dead through drowning before the story starts and the younger son who sees ghost mom and feels guilty he couldn't save her. The ill father who needs a magical McGuffin from the end of the world to get better. Older brother is the sensible, physically strong protector. Younger brother is the physically and mentally immature one. They care about each other. And that's all you find out.

The female characters consist of ghost mom, a troll that wears a dress, make-up, jewellery and who needs rescuing for no reason that is ever explained, despite being twice the size and strength of the two brothers put together. The big villain of the piece? Another "girl" who needs rescuing who turns out to be a were-spider. I called her as a villain a whole thirty minutes before it even reached the boss battle. She cheesily flirts with the older brother, ignores or shouts at the younger brother, shows sudden intelligence, agility, strength and a lack of empathy. Wow, she's the baddie. Who could've guessed?

Older brother dies of his wounds from the were-spider, so here comes over-long and intrusive scene as the music swells and you have nothing but a purely manipulative focus on his grief and sobbing as the younger brother tries to revive the elder and then buries him. In the end; all of this game seems to happen so the younger brother can overcome survivor guilt and, wait for it, face his fear of swimming with the help of two dead relatives! This is the height of storytelling in games as of 2013? If Brothers is supposed to be on a par with the truly innovative and brilliant Journey, then I'm Hideo Kojima!
  13. Mar 6, 2014
    Game Based in a Great Great Story, really clever puzzles, is not common for a player to control to main characters at the same time, Brothers offer you that possibility controlling each brother with each analog stick, despite the game only have to action "move and action" is really well integrated with the puzzles, nice graphics to give this epic adventure a beautiful atmosphere, short but intense 9 points! Expand
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    Great game, got this free with ps plus and im glad I downloaded it. PROS: Story, characters, audio, visuals, gameplay. CONS: blurry textures, short, confusing controls (sometimes)
  15. Feb 28, 2014
    Amazing game for anyone who has ever had a fleshy, spiritual or otherwise person they viewed as a brother. The music is deep and rich, the story line grabs you from the very start and the game finishes in a the most glorious and emotionally engaging way possible.

I wish it was a bit longer and some times the dual stick controls make your head spin. Otherwise, its amazing. There is no
    reason for you NOT to purchase and play this game. Expand
  16. Feb 27, 2014
    i've never experienced a game as boring as this. The only thing it has going for it are the beautiful aesthetics and good sound track but other than that there's no reason i would recommend this game to anybody.
  17. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The games plot-line is very generic, and the ending really upset me, even though it was extremely predictable. The action and puzzle to the game was adequate and fulfilling, but the story was needlessly prolonged given the outcome. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    This 'nordic-feeling' game tell us a tale about two brothers that go on a journey to find a cure for their father's disease. In this game you have to control both guys with the ps3 controller. While the old brother may take the left side of the controller, the small one will take the right side of it. It's a nice challenge to first understand how the game works, but the learning curve was well made and soon you'll find yourself playing with the possibilities of the control.

Personally, I couldn't avoid being too entangled in this story. Being an older sister, I soon started to put myself in place of the older brother. I started a little bored with the narrative's rhythm, but it didn't take long for me to notice how this slowness was more than necessary for the character's construction.

This game will drive you into a fantasy world, with reeeally well made maps and puzzles, and the narrative will surely make you rethink about some things (specially if you do have a brother). If I may say, this game is manly about overcoming your own limits.

Only after finishing it that I've realized that, all along, was the little brother the real protagonist of this game. Again, as an older sister, I instinctively put him as a subject that needed to be protected by the older brother and didn't really give him time to show his own abilities.

During most part of the game he was actually carried by me (as the big brother) and put behind on all trials. I used to put the older brother in front of him to test every danger and puzzle and, only after making sure that it was already safe, that I adventured myself on letting the little guy go on.

Seeing how the little brother struggled to make his own path made me realize how, sometimes, big brothers (and sisters) take this role of being overprotective and may end up, unexpectedly, 'cutting out the wings' of our younger brothers. Letting them go, or even, letting them make their own paths, won't hurt. It may actually let them find a way of growing up in their own ways.

I could say that this game serves as a pretty comfort for us, Journey orphans. If I were to compare the amount of feelings that I felt while playing Brothers, I shall put it near Flower (That game company). Even if now the story comes in a more literal way, it is clear to me that the game-makers were able to deliver us a simple, yet well built story, able to provoke so many feelings and questions that I would never be able to really describe it.

Anyway! Pretty graphics, beautiful maps and scenarios (I often found myself long-staring at the backgrounds elements), simple story but full of feelings. Wouldn't really have time and patience for a replay, but if you do, I really recommend it. Easy (really) trophies, entangling narrative and well put musical effects.
  19. Feb 20, 2014
    I only played for about an hour so my opinion may not be as good as some of the others. The controls were nice that is where the 3 comes from but that was the only feature I liked about the game. The graphics were boring, with each location looking like the previous with a different layout. They chose to go with a weird language that added nothing to the story, could have just made everyone mute. I got stuck in the landscape twice and had to restart from checkpoint. Glad this was free as part of playstation plus or I would have been upset. Expand
  20. Feb 13, 2014
    plain story but what a Journey this is, Absolutely Breathtaking!!!

Things needs to pick, as it starts of like a 3 year old lame puzzle, weird controls game. Once you start your adventure with the brothers it just cries STUNNING! All in all the language and the emotion expressions are top notch, the "Acting" just brings you right in! This is almost what Last Guardian wants to bring into
    the gaming world.

Just a pity it wasn't on PS4 yet, definitely a must port!

Enjoy!
  21. Feb 8, 2014
    Brothers: A tale of two sons, could possibly be the most literal title that you will find in video games (excluding Journey, of course), the game decides to take the player into a ride where he doesn’t want to leave, it takes his ups and downs, and has it’s twist and turns, but just like any other ride, it’s the final experience and the true flavor that it leaves in your mouth, what truly constitutes “Brothers”, as both an excellent and unique experience.

There isn’t to be said many wrong things about the game, as many other games the story isn’t nearly as powerful as you would expect, it’s actually quite simplistic, however this is not something wrong and it never affects the experience in a negative way.
    The game always surprises you with gameplay elements that are as both elegantly presented to the player, as they are beautifully crafted. You will find yourself in situations where a brother may need to distract a rabid dog, so the other one can get into a platform, or maybe use the youngest of the brothers to sneak into a small place where otherwise the oldest brother can’t. It flows perfectly and eventually you will get used to the distinctive controls of the game, which are four buttons, all the time, that is all.

However the game lies a true dark essence that while is not always present, it’s definitely there, sometimes it fits to the atmosphere, sometimes it doesn’t, it’s the kind of game that makes me remember “Half Life 2”, mostly the part where you go to “Ravenholm”. It’s something unexpected, drastically changing the usual pase of the game, and it works fantastically well.
    I usually tend to praise video games that use the tools that their given in order to create an unforgettable experience, Brothers it’s not the exemption, mixing together it’s simplicity and showing perfectly what you can do with the medium in hand.
    The story is literally disembowel as you play, it never takes away the control unless it’s absolutely necessary, it always feels like you’re the one experiencing the journey, and that it’s something to take notice.

The story as i mention before it’s not necessarily what incentives you to play through the game, it’s the action packed sequences and the variety of them that will keep you playing for a very long time, the story has a premise that can even be considered cliche to some, supposedly the two sons are in the search of what you assume it’s a cure for your sick father, you’re never completely sure why he is sick, but apparently it’s something serious enough to make you enter into an arena with a troll.

You shouldn’t be confused, Brothers isn’t a “child’s game”, it hides behind a shadow that might evoque that perception about it, but Brothers is one of the most dark, emotive, and devastating games that you’ll play, it’s also beautiful, and it’s also unique in every single way of the imagination, Brothers: a Tale of two sons, it’s simply a masterpiece.
  22. Feb 4, 2014
    Got this game for myself and my wife. My wife is not a game addict like myself, but she could not put the controller down. I didn't get a chance to play; she beat the game in one sitting. Great game for it's price. And as a plus, this is a great game for non experienced players.

Instagram: Game_Row
  23. Jan 29, 2014
    I've been playing games since 1982 and this is the most emotional game I've played. Everything in this game is top rate and for an indie title, that is impressive. I give the game a '9' just because of a few instances of screen tearing and texture pop-in, but otherwise, nothing else worth mentioning.

A great game, short, but the emotional impact of the story makes up for that easily,
    great art and sound direction. A must play on PS3. Expand
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    Most everything "Brothers" has going for it is in the art department. The visuals are striking and the story is well thought out and executed especially considering the lack of comprehensible dialogue in the game.

The gameplay; however, is a mixed bag. Controlling the older and younger brothers with the left and right analog sticks respectively was brilliant in concept, but in execution
    somewhat confusing. Anytime the brothers switched sides on the screen it was very difficult to not mix up the controls. Moreover, the puzzles were charming but often far too simplistic. Not once did I find myself at a loss in how to proceed and although it helped the story move along at a better pace, it felt more like a lack of creativity in the developer's level design than a conscious decision.

If it wasn't for the somewhat awkward and sloppy porting of the game from PC to Ps3 that resulted in textures having a render delay and screen tearing coupled with sometimes confusing controls, this game would be stellar. As it is, it is still a very good game that is well worth your money and the 3-4 hours it takes to complete.
  25. Jan 27, 2014
    While overall I had a very pleasant experience, there's a fair amount of a "mixed bag" with this game. Overall, the visuals are quite pleasing, though more so in its vistas than in the "close-ups" which in contrast are somewhat "cartoon-y". Another downside is that you only have limited camera control at times, which makes it much more difficult to be able to appreciate the landscape.

It has, overall, a good main and a few good side-stories. However, on reflection, I do not agree with their choice of ending. I won't go into the details though. There's also a tone to the brothers' actions that I can't find myself really agreeing with. They sometimes run roughshod over other people's possessions and property, and given the linearity of the gameplay, you cannot avoid these actions.

As for the gameplay, once you get the hang of it, the puzzles are fairly simple and somewhat repetitive. I only found myself really scratching my head once. The hardest thing is to get the hang of controlling the two correctly, which is made somewhat harder by the camera that often spins around, which makes you have to adjust the direction of the sticks. I often had to resort to controlling the two separately--however, there's one portion where you have to have both run with somewhat good control to get through a section, and that's one I had a lot of trouble with.

Finally, value. Brothers is a fun play-through, but frankly, it's a one-time thing. A few hours and you're done. I can't say that I have much of an interest in playing it again. I did redo a few scenes to pick up the achievements, just because there are only a small number of them and since I probably won't play it again. However, I have to say that one of them doesn't make a lot of sense from a character perspective, and another is downright mean and cruel. Thus, I was glad I got this as part of the IGC of PS+ because I'm not quite sure how much I'd be willing to pay for such a limited amount of playtime, though that time was fairly well-spent.
  26. Jan 27, 2014
    I got this free on PlayStation Plus, and played it on one sit, thinking about all the praise and prestigious talk this game got last year. So why didn't I enjoy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons that much? Did I play it on the wrong platform? Maybe. Or is this game you fall in love with, or you just don't completely get?
    Brothers tell the story of two brothers that go on a journey seeking the
    cure for their dying father. Is a platformer, and the distinctive touch is that you control both brothers with the analog sticks and the triggers, that's it. And that's where I had my problems.
    It's ok, I know. It is supposed to be challenging, specially at some really well-done tense sequences. But at times, the game just throws you in some scenarios without any explanation and you are left all by yourself (I also get it, Challenge) but at times it is pretty frustrating, specially when it is almost impossible to figure out by yourself what to do.
    Anyway, maybe it's the rookie me talking, but I also didn't find the controls enjoyable. I found them messy, confusing and really took me out of the game, which has a very heartwarming then heartbreaking story with some deep gut-wrenching moments.
    Talking bout controls, the Dualshock 3 may be the worst controller to play it. Both the triggers R2 and L2 and the analog sticks are slippery, making the game less enjoyable. I could barely get the controls until the end of the game thanks to the controller. Sorry sony, but it is the truth. The 360 version has a better controller that makes the game more enjoyable.
    Still, this game has a lot of clunky visuals. Texture don't load, and when they do, they don't look very decent. And although this game has a very pretty art design and some eclectic and creepy scenarios I just can't take out of my head, the console version of the game is not the way it is meant to be played. Buy the PC version and play it with an X360 controller, and then maybe you will get the complete experience the game wants you to enjoy.
    Otherwise, the platform sequences are fantastic, creative and genuinely designed. Sometimes, I awed at the incredibly insane things these brothers have to do in those jaw-dropping places. Unfortunately, the controls and the visuals immediately grabbed me and pulled me out of the atmosphere the game created.
    That is why Brothers didn't convince me. Sure, great story with a strong emotional payoff, and some incredible art design. But the gameplay and the visuals were the main problem here, and takes a huge chunk of the game's quality. It may be PlayStation 3 is the wrong platform to play this game. However, that is how I played it, and I can't feel anything but a little disappointment.
  27. Jan 27, 2014
    A truly amazing voyage. Almost the entire game is to be played with a smile upon the face. The characters feels alive, the whole thing seem plausible. And it does become emotional. On the good side, the game is a short one (about 2-3 hrs), but in this case that's a good thing, because they don't overplay you too long, you don't loose your emotional attachment from the two brothers, what makes the experience even more memorable. And in fact, a short game like this is more rewarding than a long, meaningless one.
    And on the controls front, it was very interesting playing in a way that is new. I don't think it will become usual to see like this, but it was very fun and mind boggling at the some times, to control the twin sticks.
    Oh, brother, what a joy of a game.
  28. Jan 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I created an account just to review this game. I though it was something special to look at but I never got the hang of controlling two characters at the same time. Then the ending came, talk about a waste of time. The death of a young man while on a journey to save a sick older man undermines the whole reason for going on the journey in the first place. I'm sure the dad would have preferred to die instead of sending his son to death so it made the whole game feel pointless. You'll play through the game to save a life only to lose one even more important. This game is terrible & I hate it. I really wanted to like it but they killed the kid for "emotional impact" when all I could think was "Are you kidding me?!?! Why did I just spend three hours playing this game if the outcome solves nothing!!!!!!????" There is no resolution here, just a Frenchman's desperate attempt to pull on your "heart strings". Get out of here. No more Starbreeze Studios games for me. Expand
  29. Jan 25, 2014
    I was blown away by this game. I was told it was amazing but even then it surpassed my high expectations. At first I was put off by the controls (which can in all honesty but frustrating at times) but this game is so beautiful and has so much emotion that the controls were an after thought. Certainly not for everyone but a fantastic game.
  30. Jan 23, 2014
    This game reminded me why i play video games; as a form of entertainment. This game just didn't do it for me. The only thing it's got going for it is a unique gameplay mechanic that was ok, and definately something I didn't master even when I was close to the ending. this game was an "experiment" something I'll play for the unique mechanics, but will not look back even the slightest. story was straightfoward and I'll admit I felt something in the end, albeit just a gentle tug; nothing more. I got this game for free via ps plus, and asked myself at 14.99 would I have bought it knowing the short game and it's style? the answer is no. game just isn't fun for me, and that's what games should do for anyone. 67/100 Expand
  31. Jan 17, 2014
    A dozen unique gameplay ideas and a beautifully varied quest through a folklore land.

Much more varied and epic than I expected. The climbing is a bit overused, but with plenty of variation. The story was not as touching as I'd expected, but it does some cool and deep things to the gameplay. Graphics were outstandingly beautiful. Simple, but superior to much of the AAA nonsense I see,
    since it had both personality and a very broad palette. You could play this game for the visuals alone, but the game mechanics are outstanding as well. It's a bit short but feels long since it's so compressed and epic. Music was well orchestrated and AAA quality. Sound effects were quite minimalistic but ok. Interaction with the game world is outstanding and a role model for any other game. All in all, felt like a trek through a mythological Scandinavia. Good story as bonus. Expand
  32. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best games ever, totally worth it, astonishing art, simple but innovating game-play and a really touching story, words are not enough to describe, is kinda short but is the type of games, where quality surpass quantity, give it a try! you will don't get disappointing.
  33. Jan 15, 2014
    Incredibly impressive and very original adventure of two sons trying to save their father. Simple, but effective controls where you control both brothers simultaneously, each on of of the analog sticks, where they have to complement and help each other. It's very short (2-3h), but very intensive and memorable experience with no weak spots. A beautiful fairy tale. 9/10
  34. Dec 13, 2013
    I loved this game. Sometimes the controls plays tricks on your mind, but it's fantastic. It's not very challenging, but it's makes for a great adventure. My only gripe is that I wish it were longer!
  35. Nov 1, 2013
    This is a game you play for the uniqueness of the experience. It might have frustrating controls, but its a nice breath of fresh air to see a company put out something different than the usual combat heavy games. I liked the focus on simple but satisfying puzzles, and beautiful scenery and music that marks the game throughout. This game really surprised me with the outcome of its story. I thought it was going to be a rather straightforward story, but I was really taken aback when it was all over. The game hit me hard when I wasn't expecting it. It would be cool to see a sequel in the future with better controls and a more polished experience. In the end, while the controls weren't the best, it was something new and its an experience that will stick with me longer than most action heavy games. Expand
  36. Oct 30, 2013
    It is a very good game for that price and you will think about it after you finished it. Maybe the ending is a bit too depresive but that's why it's unique. The gameplay is siple, but fun in a beautiful world.
  37. Sep 15, 2013
    Poignant.

If I had to pick a word to describe this game in a nutshell, it would be the one above.

Brothers, in a shamefully short amount of time, nevertheless manages to do many things that much lengthier and more well funded games fail to do at all. It manages to invest the players in the characters and world, even though there isn't much establishment of said elements. It manages
    to be emotionally jarring, even though there is not a word of English spoken throughout the entire game. It manages to have fun and interesting game play even though the puzzles are typically simple and the controls are minimalistic. In essence, it successfully manages to achieve great things seemingly out of it's simplicity.

The vibe here is reminiscent of titles like Ico or Journey, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons shares a lot of elements and themes with these games. It's a decent example of story telling that does literally everything by showing and doing, and never by telling. It's expressionism, art style, and character interaction build the world entirely without a word ever shared by ANY character in the game.

Controlling both brothers at once can get a bit of getting used to, but ultimately beyond movement there is only one action button for each of them. Interacting with the environment is simple, but enjoyable as each brother has a different way of doing so, and each has their own strengths. The puzzles here are no brain benders like the ones you'd see in Antichamber, but they are still enjoyable because Brothers utilizes a relatively unique style of controlling player characters.

There are drawbacks. The game is very short, and for such a great title, by the time you are finished you'll wish there were more of it. Replay value is also pretty limited. Rarely, but ocassionally, there are camera issues as well.

Still, this IS worth your money. It's one of those unique games that could, albeit subjectively, be more of a potent and enjoyable 'experience' than just a simple game.
  38. Sep 10, 2013
    What a feeling of joy and pleasure you receive when you work as a team!! As this is one of it's strong points it also occasionally gets confusing as to which player i'm controlling minus that minor bump in the road this is a must have one of the best buys from PSN!!!
  39. Sep 10, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a game that proves once again that you don't need ultra-long playtimes or gargantuan budgets to make a thrilling and unforgettable videogame. Beautiful to look at, fun to play, exciting, unique and innovative, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a flat-out assault on the senses. Better still, it's emotional savagery will have you in pieces before the end. This game is a Brothers Grimm fairytale in interactive form, with all the sweetness, darkness and tragedy that that entails. It's one of the finest indie games that I've ever played, even coming within a few hairs of the almighty Journey. An absolutely unmissable game! Expand
  40. Sep 9, 2013
    THIS is how games are supposed to be made. GREAT landscapes and graphics, incredible sound and music, beautiful use of light and shadows, imaginative gameplay. The only downside to this game is the short story, but sometimes I think it's better that way, just an emotional "hit & run".

You have to get this game, now. And if you think the controls are "hard", then go back to playing
    shooter games, you won't be missed. Expand
  41. Sep 6, 2013
    This game must not be missed!
    It is a rather short experience (2-3 hours) but touches you like very few games are capable of doing.
    Stunning graphics, a unique control and a story best described as movie-like.
    I have never played a game more than once but with Brothers, I can't wait to experience it again.
  42. Sep 5, 2013
    This game or should I say "interactive experience" is absolutely outstanding. This is exactly what the game industry needs, a breath of fresh air and creativeness.

The art design, sound and music, and character development is beyond expectation. A lunch price of $14.99 is an absolute steal for a gem like this. I can see myself playing this game multiple times as the tale is that
    gripping.

The team at Starbreeze has done an excellent job and I support their efforts and hope to see more gems from them in the future... Enclave II please
  43. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is so much heavier than i originally thought. I was not very impressed by the beginning and I didn't really like the controls but then... Wow. The feeling this game made me feel, it's just amazing. Some parts of the game just made me sit with my mouth open in rapture.
  44. Sep 4, 2013
    Already on my best-indie-games-ever list, along with other gems like Journey. What a beautiful, haunting game. And so, so original. The setting is gorgeous (with a Nordic/fairy tale thing going on). You play as two brothers who depart on a quest to save their father (there's no text nor dialogue, just some sounds that resemble some sort of language, but we always understand what they mean). The brothers are different in terms of physique and personality (the older is stronger and more mature, while the younger is thinner and more aggressive). And controlling both of them at the same time the epicenter of the game's mechanics is original, engaging and sometimes quite challenging. But a good challenge; the one where you know what needs to be done, and you just work your way through. Playing a game like this just makes me so grateful for this generation of gaming and the ascension of these indie wizards. We would never be able to play something like that 10, 20 years ago; and think of what is yet to come! This game MUST NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  45. Sep 5, 2013

1. Jan 22, 2014
    Brothers is one of those games which won't disappoint you if you are looking for something different. However, you must keep in mind that this game is short, even though it's a great game, it's not a long one and it won't offer anything new if you replay it.
  2. Some games stay etched in your memory because of the emotional journey you experienced, like The Walking Dead, The Last of Us or Ico. Brother: A Tale of Two Sons does not quite belong on that list, but it does come very close. [October 2013 p.94]
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    If you're the sort of person who thinks video games are capable of not just entertaining us but also making us think and feel, you owe it to yourself to play Brothers.