7.7

1. Jul 15, 2014
    I feel genuinely bad giving this review, because this game did make me smile and was quite fun for the first few hours. Jack Black is quite funny, the theme of metal music is a good one for the setting and allows for humorous level design and characters; it really had potential... and then it fell apart.

The world quickly started to seem slapdash once the game opens up and the shift in gameplay style is jarring and irritating. The combat, though sluggish at times, was serviceable and could have been used far more effectively, likewise for the driving sections of the game, but the strategy sections which start to dominated the game are simply terrible. With difficult control and limited visibility, this quickly begins to feel like a PC real time strategy game that you're forced to play with a controller and the camera settings of a third person action brawler game... and yes that's as bad as it sounds. It takes an otherwise interesting and amusing game and destroys the element of fun it started with.

This game would have been far better if it was, as advertised, a game where you spend 6-8 hours playing as Jack Black; hitting the things from 80s heavy metal LP artwork with your guitar whilst cracking silly one-liners. For the first 2 hours, and intermittently after that, this is what you get; but the awful strategy game hidden in here make it a chore to play. If you see it for bargain bin prices, pick it up and play through the first few hours if you want something light-hearted and amusing, but don't expect to ever actually finish it... I know I couldn't.

Brutal Legend is a tour de force that wraps up humor, music, and clever gameplay into one highly polished package. You haven't played a game quite like this before and won't want to miss it.
    Charming and clever in equal portions, Brütal Legend is a classic example of cohesive game design...In an age of ever-increasing monotony and creative stagnation, a game like Brütal Legend is brash, proud, subversive and triumphant - and it deserves to succeed. Get on board, crank it up and make it so. Two horns up.
  3. There are very, very few games which truly make me sit back and go “wow”. Among the slew of games that I’ve reviewed this year, there are only a couple that I really enjoyed playing, and continue to do so. Brutal Legend is one such game – even though I aced my Public Speaking and English Literature classes, words only slur together when I try to describe this game. Truth be told, I only heard about the game in the last month or so, but after spending a good amount of time with it, I was transformed from a mere gamer into a rocking, die-hard fan.