7.6

1. Mar 20, 2011
    I purchased Bulletstorm on preorder from a gamestop, with high expectations. The previews of the game seemed like they were amazing and I was promised fast paced FPS action combined with a unique "skillshot" system to enhance my experience.

The reality of the game was far from wonderful. While the graphics were good (the environments in particular were very well done), I found myself simply not having much fun. The problem comes from the foundation of the game itself. Despite having wonderfully visualized environments the levels are really more like roller-coaster rides, following a narrow and singular track without any option to deviate.

Even this I could have put aside in my mind and still enjoyed the game. However, the core aspect of the game revolved around the much-touted "skillshot" system. While this sounded great on paper it quickly became tedious and boring. Killing your enemies wasn't enough, you had to kill them in new and creative ways. Sounds good, right up to the point where you look at the list of things you're required to do in order to get these skillshots. Some of them are absurdly difficult and attempting to get them is not only slow but frustrating and boring. A fast paced action shooter quickly devolves into grinding for skillshots.

Top this off with corny dialog peppered with forced, over-the-top profanity (most of which is asinine rather than funny) and zero character depth, and you've got a game that's not worth putting in the console.
  2. Mar 25, 2011
    Yet more proof of how much of a stale cash grab FPS games are. This game reminds me of Dr. Rockso the Rock n' Roll Clown.

Bulletstorm is just another shooter trying to differentiate itself by trying to seem edgy. Instead, it ends up being corny and kind of embarrassing. The question is never about graphics. The real question is how does this game differentiate itself from other shooters? What features does it offer that haven't couldn't just be a clever mod for Quake 2?
    The answer: Nothing really. Story doesn't make up for putting a month of modelling effort into some new guns and terrain. This stuff is cheap to produce. It's the complex and innovative rules and game mechanics that push the envelope. Something Bulletstorm doesn't even come close to doing with it's messy hair and only-big-boys-can-act-bad (for kids) attitude.

This game isn't very good, I feel weird listening to the dialogue and the action is over the top in such a way that it's bad.
  3. Aug 29, 2011
    Dull, guns feel weak, extremely linear, ineffective and clunky upgrade system, poor writing and witless dialogue. I'm pretty amazed by the high praise this has received. Avoid this one.
  4. Jan 25, 2012
    Bulletstorm: Horrible game. Gears of War clone with bad controls, no cover mechanic, crappy dialog/plot/characters/levels and linear Quick-time-events
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    I've played the demo and it got to me. Bought and played the campaign. Man what a brainless game!! The characters are all a bunch of douche bags. The action felt good in the demo because the demo is just a small preview. It quickly becomes senseless shooting and idiotic dialogs. Bulletstorm sucks in all aspects and it's a total waste of time period.

1. The biggest problem Bulletstorm has is that it's at odds with itself. It wants you to have a blast killing imaginatively, but gives you limited ammunition, uses cheap tactics and saves the best toys until way too late in the game. It wants you to revel in the wonderfully hackneyed story, but then suddenly gets all touchy feely, serious and humourless for no reason. [May 2011 p.75]
  2. May 24, 2011
    Bulletstorm is not only offering a lot of enemies to shoot. We did not expect such good character development and such an entertaining story.
  3. Mar 27, 2011
    Bulletstorm is the NFL Blitz of first-person shooters.