4.9

1. Jan 31, 2013
    I was looking forward to Black Ops II because of the single player campaign. The new story choices, sci-fi overtones and the new tactical RTS elements looked intriguing. Unfortunately, the campaign turned out to be lackluster. Sure, there was the odd occasional mission that was special (such as the one where you body glide off a cliff) but it was mostly just linear shooting galleries. It was a far cry from the fun of Modern Warfare 2's highpoint. The new RTS missions are also laughably simplistic. They just don't seem to work very well. The multiplayer is solid but unspectacular. The best part of the suite is the fact that you're rarely overwhelmed by scorestreak attacks. There's nothing more frustrating than being relentlessly hounded by helicopters for the duration of an entire match! Sadly, the maps are too small and boxed in. This negates any real strategy and results in a reflex heavy twitch-shooter where players dart about like they're competing in a marathon. Basically speaking, Call of Duty: Black Ops II has sank from promising to disappointing. Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    I've only played a little bit of this game, but it's fantastic. Multiplayer is fun, as is zombies. I'm not into games like this for the campaign, so if there's any criticisms there, I can't really comment, but both zombies and multiplayer make this game worth it.
  3. Jan 29, 2013
    BLACK OPS 2 ZOMBIES ONLY REVIEW. Having played World at War and Black Ops 1, I can say that the zombies mode in this game has definitely lost its touch. Sure, it's improved in the sense that there are now more modes: TranZit - where you travel between the different maps via a bus - and Grief - a competitive game mode where two teams compete for score, but still killing zombies. The maps aren't great either. Sure, they're designed around the TranZit mode but that is mainly, from my perspective, for little kids that want to over-complicate a simple mini-game. The classic style zombies is still present though. The three areas for the survival mode each have different resources. The first area, for example, just has a mystery box and 4 wall weapons, like the original Nacht der Untoten. It should also be noted that one can now change the starting round, whether there are dogs and whether it's headshots only, as well as the option to turn down the difficulty. Despite these additions, the actual fun has declined. You kill over 200 zombies before you even get to double figures on the round counter, yet there is little satisfaction. The weapons aren't satisfying to use due to the lack of recoil perhaps. Or maybe the zombies don't die as quickly. Whatever it is, something is definitely missing. In my opinion, Shi No Numa, Der Riese and Kino der Toten had the perfect balance between complexity of the map and complexity of progression. Everything was simple. You didn't have to go through a million different rituals and easter eggs just to upgrade a gun or even access the mystery box. Yet, they weren't too simple where there was no scope for strategy or variation. In Black Ops II, the problem is that it's gone too far yet again, just like the DLC maps for Black ops 1.
    //TLDR; if you're buying Black Ops 2 for the zombies, be aware that it's nowhere near as fun as World at War and the focus has been shifted away from zombies being a mini-game towards it being a more complete horde mode; which falls short of even Modern Warfare 3 or Gears of War 3's survival modes.
  4. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off the mark, this is still very much a Call Of Duty game through and through. With each year that passes each release of this annual franchise exceeds the overwhelming (and frightening) gross of its predecessor, does this mean it is we, the users who are to blame for the repetitiveness? No, not quite. This is a beautiful cash cow for the suits over at Activision, a safe haven for a guaranteed payday once November rolls around. But I think this time, like the first Black Ops instalment, Treyarch are attempting to maybe not rock, but gently cradle the boat in changing this franchise.
    I had an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the first Black Ops instalment, but the complete opposite to Infinity Ward/Sledgehammers year old Modern Warfare 3. Black Ops changed the narrative of the other entries into this franchise, not so much hell bent on killing everything in sight but actually creating a story, and a captivating one at that, one which has continued into Black Ops II. Decision making has made a welcome debut (correct me if needed) to this franchise.
    The campaign, albeit a medicare 8 hours, was thoroughly captivating from the beginning. We are re-introduced to the originals of Mason, Woods and Hudson and their search and capture of the the terrorist threat known as Menendez. this mostly happens through a very old Woods re-telling the story to David Mason, Alex Masons son, in the futuristic 2025. Without delving too far into the backbone of the story, there is a sense of despair on both sides of this campaign, Menendez is a truly troubled individual with a tragic past, an antagonist that can be very relatable unlike previous entries, this game, in my opinion doesnt rely on their groundbreaking cinematics for cheap thrills (the little girl in London, really?) but to show the emotion in these characters who we have now known for two instalments. The decisions to be made in this game truly are difficult as we, the players know that this will indeed have a tremendous impact on the remainder of our play through.
    These are by no means massive overhauls to this ageing franchise but they are indeed steps in the correct direction. The multiplayer has introduced several different elements to coax new players in, gone are the killstreak days which have been replaced with "scorestreaks". The maps are significantly better than those of MW3, they're not as crowded, and respawn, for now, has improved.
    With a game like this, i do find it hard to have a genuine hatred. These are yearly releases which now have an overwhelming emphasis on multiplayer. I make it a point to complete the campaign/story before even considering going near multiplayer, that cash I paid needs to go somewhere. Call of Duty: Black Ops II is my no means a diamond in the rough, a hidden gem blah blah blah, but to hate on a game which is trying to change (Treyarch at least) but still maintain the money spinner that is Call Of Duty, there needs to be a compromise. Are these gamers really going out and buying this with the notion thats its going to change all the rules? If so then i suggest you wait on a game that is three plus years in the making. Whatever the next title will be in 2013, one thing is for sure, it will make more than Black Ops II simply because it is new, and thats why we the gamers win the battle, by subtle changes to the game, but Activision win the war, because they are still going to make millions, no matter what entry they churn out or how many. This is why i gave this game an 8. Treyarch did things differently with the first Black Ops and they have continued to do so with this, its not a game-changer but it is an attempt to listen to the players and to compete with other developers in the same franchise, without a doubt one of the better Call Of Duty titles in a long time.
  5. Mar 25, 2013
    It's not bad but the Over-popular and overrated Black oops 2 doesn't give the entertainment awesome video games need. Fans(or should I say lunatics) will not be pleased.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    Look at my review history. Am I someone who jumps on a bandwagon in any way? Look at my review of mw3, and by the way, BO1 was mt favorite COD. BO2 is a compete waste of my money and it makes me happy mw3 was so poorly recieved. Granted, I've only played it for 1 night. But, the campaign is as most basic as possible, and the multiplayer is so steriotyplical that I amost knew what was going to happen next based on a game I played 5 years ago, and that game is blah blah blah. I let mw3 slide even though I knew it was the same as usual but I can't let this slide because now I have to sell this and accept a $30 dollar loss because I didn't listen to a !,000,000,000,000 other gamers. Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2013
    i love it i am not big call of duty fan i prefer skyrim zombies game etc But i won this game i said try it out this was best game ever i like Multiplayer & zombie maps

i love it if call of duty would turn around do whole call duty zombie i mean not just zombie maps i mean i mean like left 4 dead but better
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    I was really expecting this game to be okay at best, but i was wrong. Black Ops 2 is what its predesesor should have been, The graphics are improved the multiplayer is fun as hell, the gameplay is at its best and above all its story mode and characters are amazing. Black Ops 2 is my favorite COD and has one of the best villains in gaming history, Raul Menendez.
  9. May 25, 2013
    I'm not much of a CoD fan, but always had fun playing the franchise and was really excited for BO2 after BO1. Turns out, my expectations were wrong on this one. The single-player is bland and the story is confusing 'cause you're in the future, but you play in the past, which makes no sense at all! The MP is fun, but it's extremely lags here and there, then after a while, I stopped playing it. Then there's the Zombie mode, which is hard to consider as "FUN", its slow, boring, and a huge waste of time! Out of all the CoD's Iv'e payed, this is the worst. Expand
  10. Nov 15, 2012
    Call of Duty: Black Ops, possibly the best Treyarch Call of Duty has created a sequel. Is it good? Yes, the changes and gameplay are amazing. But what did I miss? Oh that's right, the idiotic trolls giving the game a 0. It's apparent at how many idiots there are, and possibly a good number of those who will vote my review down because I'm not playing their game, but enough about that. Black Ops 2 has a great campaign mode writen by David Goyer who helped write the Dark Knight. The storyline is clever although not the standout if the game. The game sees even brighter light with the Multiplayer. It's as good as it's ever been and added some new designs for good measure. The zombie mode, seemed like a flop due to the dissaperence of the original characters, but, zombies changed to much it makes it all worth it. Tranzit is the highlight of zombies, showing off the new made "Greenrun" and a whole new direction for Call of Duty. This is as good as the original Black Ops which I gave an 8/10. Well done, Treyarch. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    Due to the fact that the online multiplayer is incredibly broken and very hard to tolerate as of this moment. I will skip reviewing that and focus on the single player campaign. For the most part the campaign is EXTREMELY easy. There is barely any challenge even to playing BO2 on veteran I think it took me around 4-5 hours to complete and only had to continue a handful of times... IT IS 100% casual friendly unfortunately. It is full of scripted scenes and what not but the game does provide an interesting way of going about the missions. You have multiple choices for different outcomes within the game so there is actually a reason now to replay the campaign. Choosing an option may trigger a different scripted scene in the game and change the way some parts can be played. Prior to this call of duty I think the only game that had any form of choice would be World at War with either Sgt. Roebuck or that other dude dying (can't remember his name!). Aside from all this I believe Treyarch's call of duty's keep getting better while Infinity Ward's keep getting more and more dumbed down to the point where they are just boring. Call of Duty 4 was their peak - they're done give it up. This is a far superior installment to Modern Warfare 3 - aside from the freezing and multiple bugs I would say it is one of the more fun FPS I've played. I enjoyed the campaign and enjoyed the futuristic guns and different style of weapons. This is not a complete rip off of Ghost Recon FS or Halo, it does do it's own things and it is it's own game and that should be praised. I would score it higher but due to the bugs and, god I don't know how this happens, but LAG? In single player? I cannot just bring myself to give it an 8 9 or 10. It's good, it's playable, it's enjoyable but it has it's share of problems. I can finally put away Boringfield 3 and enjoy a decent call of duty after the issues are hopefully fixed with this game. On a side note: I'm glad Treyarch only made a few tweaks to their old formula - it would be a shame to see Call of Duty go down the Socom route and die when there are barely any other shooters these days that are as enjoyable as a Call of Duty. Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2013
    After playing this game for a few months, I can say it is honestly impossible to not rage at this game with all the lag and BS that goes on. Pistols are OP'd, snipers run around quickscopin. I could write a 2 page essay about the flaws of this game's multiplayer. However I still don't believe it deserves a 4, its probably still better than 90% of fps out there
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is just awful. I really wanted to get into it, but I just couldn't. It's the same tired formula they used in black ops, and it's even less enjoyable than mw3. The single player campaign is awful, the game gives you auto-aim, so you don't even have to try when playing, and it still uses the same engine it's been using for so many years now. Call of Duty has essentially been turned into a medicore cash cow over the years, shame. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    This is the worst game i have ever played, why did they ruin this series!!!!!!! I used to like it, MW3 was bad so i though this will be bettter but it wasn't, i'm sad, i i used to like this game series but now i hate, i really hate it with a passion, this game is bad, stop lying to yourselfs and go buy a real game.
  15. Jul 15, 2013
    Okay, here's yet another Call of Duty game. If you've played every CoD game from CoD4, you know what to expect. Only this time, the game is set mostly in the future.

Let's look at the single-player campaign. To be honest, you have to give credit to Treyarch for trying something new with the campaign structure. What you do will affect what path you take and how the story turns out. It's
    nice to take a break away from the linear campaign structure, as what was done in the past. The story was quite ok.

Zombie mode. They actually have done SOME improvements, but why do we need a storyline here?

Multiplayer: Here is what people care about the most. I like the idea that you can prestige your weapons once you max out your level. Other than that, it's really the same Call of Duty multiplayer from the past games, except that it's in the future. It should be noted that there are parts of the singleplayer that is set in the 1980s. Why can't we have that in the multiplayer? You know a mode set in the future and a mode set in the past? That would be something.

Overall: The only surprise you should expect from BO2 is the non-linear single-player structure. Multiplayer is quite the same. It's still fun, though. BO2 does NOT suck, but if you're expecting a totally revamped CoD, you'll be disappointed.

P.S. Wake up, IW and Treyarch. This is the same engine used for five years. Give us a new engine already! Small lighting changes don't cut it.
  16. Nov 6, 2013
    I like the near-futuristic approach to Call of Duty. The weapons are fun to use, and are slightly more varied than in previous installments. The muliplayer is exactly the same, otherwise. Same game modes, and pretty well the same maps. Spawns are slightly less bad than in previous games, and the maps remain small. The singleplayer is decent, with specific actions that result in different endings adding a minor difference to the Call of Duty formula. Zombies is back and is as boring as ever. The formula is getting extremely stale at this point. Since there are no other decent multiplayer games coming out for a while, guess were stuck with this one. Expand
  17. May 14, 2013
    Now, I'm not just a Call of duty hater. I think at times the series is entertaining and is a joy with actual friends. I mean that by friends you can talk to, without headphones. I guess the most positive thing I can say about this game is that it's real fun to play with other people, I recommend playing with others so you can at least try to socialize with people. The negative comments I have for this game is mainly my lack of care for this game. I just don't find anything interesting in this game, which I think sums up my opinion about this game. It's fun with friends, but quite boring without anyone to play with. By now you probably yelling about how I don't talk about the multiplayer, I just don't personally like it, in this game at least. My ending statement is: this game is fun with friends, but is really boring without others to play with. Expand
  18. Dec 22, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is almost three great games in one. It has a fantastic campaign with multiple endings, improved multiplayer, and an enhanced zombies mode.
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    The low user score is unfair but who can stop the fanboys... Another successful installment of the CoD series with a few welcome tweaks.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: The Black Ops series started with a great story with the set in the cold war era. This one continues with the same story travelling between that era and the near plausible future. Well thought and well delivered. As for the
    characters they are well built and you can relate to their story. Menendez steals the show.
    PRESENTATION: As good as ever. In a time when the next gen consoles dominate the conversations BO2 still manages to deliver great quality graphics even with an aging engine. Whatever that means.
    GAMEPLAY: Not many innovations here but why mess in a winning formula right? Exception made to the strike force missions. Did not liked them and feel a bit off in the campaign.
    PROGRESSION: Treyarch tweaked the progression system on the online experience to a new level with the pick 10 system and the weapons prestige. Very good idea if you ask me.
    ONLINE: Picking up with the above mentioned the MP is even better with the referred pick 10 and weapon prestige which delivers a very well balanced and engaging online experience.
    The CoD series still delivers the best FPS game around. No doubt about that.
  20. Nov 13, 2012
    Look, i'm not a troll, this game is simply, bad, there is no getting around to that, smallest maps in video games history, weapons have no recoil at all, every map is camper-friendly, the campaign is 4 hours long, zombie mode is worse than it was in the first one, there is nothing good about this one, stop lying to yourselft and wake up, i was a fan but MW3 & BO2 ruined this series for me, stop playing this crap and go buy a real game. Expand
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    Where Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series keeps improving and revolutionising the open-world genre with hot new releases, Activision's Call of Duty franchise has shunned and abandoned the shooter games by releasing mediocre after mediocre games that spawned from a once good series starting with Modern Warfare.

Everything in the game feels lacklustre and I can't believe the critics giving
    the game a 9/10 or a 8/10, guess they just like the same crap every year with slightly better graphics. Shooting mechanics have improved and so has the story but that doesn't save 3 hours of boring campaign missions, terrible net code and lack of fidelity that makes everything feel disjointed. If you're gonna come back from Black Ops 1, you gotta bring your best. Not this unpolished, lazy mess of a game! Expand
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    this game is not fun. i personally don't care i am not buying any more call of duty games. this is the final straw MW3 then this. this is absolute horse crap. the graphics are so bad that i feel like it is the same as the original modern warfare. i loved the original black ops too. the gameplay is about as bad as MW3's with no good new features. and the multiplayer is buggy laggy and just impossible to deal with. being randomly disconnected is a pain. then if you try and play in a group it doesn't work because you can't join lobbies for some reason. i don't think this game should have the privilege of being released. it's not fun to play and is just plain bad. im going to return this tomorrow. this is where i draw the line. Expand
  23. Feb 4, 2013
    The call of duty franchise as a whole gets so much hate for it's continuing success and I am not the biggest fan of the series but I thought black ops 1 was a fun game, especially with some friends. The campaign of this game is probably the best of any call of duty ever, its very varied and has so many cool little set pieces we've come to expect from the series. The story however is uninteresting and the new protagonists are extremely boring and forgettable. Also the new strike force RTS segments have so much potential that is wasted with terrible friendly AI, thankfully these are mostly optional. The multiplayer has new ideas that in my opinion make it the most refined yet, but it feels way to similar to the other games which isn't really a problem as the games are fun but I got bored way faster than in the original black ops. As long as you're not expecting something completely fresh the multiplayer is still fun. The zombies mode was my favorite part of the original and this is the gamemode they've changed the most surprisingly. The zombies campaign treyarch promised is nothing more than a large map with a bus and build-able items which is somewhat disappointing but still fun. There are only three maps unless you get the special edition which is not too great considering these are just parts of the large tranzit map made into to small little arenas. The zombies mode is still fun but a little disappointing considering on how hyped up it was. Overall though this is still a fun package with hours of content and fun to be had. Expand
  24. Jul 7, 2013
    I have to give it to Treyarch, they seem to make the more bearable versions of this highly iterative franchise. This year Black Ops II admittedly has a better campaign than its predecessors. The choice element is a little fresh but isn't implemented all that well, but the missions were fun enough to keep me advancing, even if I did end up tiring of the story. The multiplayer is as slick as ever, but it really doesn't add all that much. Zombies is perhaps innovated most in this title, but it still feels a little weary with age. Its a good game, but Activision should really pack their bags now and leave on this one, because even though this game is decent, it is not going to save this franchise from an inevitable end. Expand
  25. Nov 2, 2013
    Let me first say that I had no interest in Black Ops 2 initially. Like many, I thought I was done with the Call of Duty franchise as each year it became more of the same. However, I rented Black Ops 2 and that changed very quickly. The campaign is probably my third favorite (behind Modern Warfare and Black Ops). I did not think it was nearly as great as most say it is. I really don't mind since I play through the campaign once before I delve into the real purpose of the CoD games..the multiplayer. The multiplayer is far and away the best since Modern Warfare revolutionized it about five years ago. Since 2007, it is been more of the same with more tweaks here and there, but this game allows for alot of customization. Multiplayer has so many options to fit your play style especially with the Pick 10 style. I can go into a game with no grenades if I want and stock up on perks. Also, the emblem creator is better than ever with more slots and customization. It's a fun way to express yourself even if some user emblems are not exactly PG rated. While there are some technical issues and the game is not perfect, the game is the most fun I've had playing online to date. I've owned it for a few weeks and have already put in over 100 hours and I haven't felt even begun to get bored. Expand
  26. Dec 15, 2012
    Singleplayer was pretty good interesting ending choice but still good. The multiple endings leaved much to be desired but it still worked. While somehow I believe most players hated the mode where you change between individual units, I actually found it a refreshing change. The slight changes to multiplayer were good too. IMO there is no way this game could score less than a 6/10 but there are always going to be haters and as they say haters gonna hate. Voice acting and cinematics A+ as you would expect from this title. Expand
  27. Dec 29, 2012
    Unbalanced multiplayer, mediocre campaign, and overall terrible community. Activision really should've spent more time creating this, especially when it's such a "high-profile AAA" game.
  28. Nov 18, 2012
    Campaign is solid. Zombies are as overrated as ever. But the multiplayer returns with an added zest. The graphics have been bumped up from Black ops 1 , which is lucky as they were a jerky mess before. The games fluidity now matches it's IW brother but has less game breaking killstreaks and weapons. The pick ten points system is a stroke of genius and the maps are much more ergonomic than Infinity wards ugly high walled prisons. I was an Infinity Ward fan right up until the release of mw3. I loved ( and still do ) COD 4 and MW2 , but the control has well and truly passed to Treyarch. Infinity Ward the ball is in your court. Try and match this! Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2014
    The first Call of Duty game I've ever owned and put time and effort into. While it's not exactly a bad game, Black Ops II suffers from focusing too much on online play. The offline play is fine if you're happy with mediocre A.I., which isn't that big of a deal considering many games of this genre refuse to use A.I. bots in order to put a heavier focus involving online play. The single-player campaign is awful...and this is why almost nobody plays the campaigns of this franchise. Lack of story, good narrative, variety in the levels, or even good level design within the campaign means there's no real reason to bother with it, especially considering the short length which can last only two hours if you happen to be good. If you enjoy quick thrills and competitive play, then this game will suit your needs. Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10 Graphics: 8 out of 10 Gameplay: 8 out of 10 Fun: 5 out of 10 Controls: 9 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 7 out of 10
    Re-play: 7.5 out of 10
    Audio: 8 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: not much
  31. Jan 2, 2014
    Overall this is a fine addition to the Call of Duty franchise. The campaign is the best yet, in my opinion, and will last for some time. The multiplayer is flawed and has many errors that need tweaking. The lobbies aren't friendly at all either. Multiplayer again is basically a copy of the past. The only mode that stands out is zombies. A quick match will leave you hungry for another game, and is always fun to try and survive the onslaught with others. Yes, it I a copy of the past, but still might be worth your time. Expand
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    Graphics amazing, but this just isn't my type of game. Hard to see who the enemy is, very chaotic while in play, no story in single play mode. Very hard for a person to me to get into. I may be minority, but just not my type of game
  33. Oct 26, 2013
    i'm changing my score from 9 to 6. i used to like this game. but damn. i realise that this call of duty isn't that different from the last. it lacks innovation. let me say that again LACKS INNOVATION!
  34. Aug 2, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II 9/10.......................................................................................................................
  35. Nov 13, 2012
    It's easy to see who the trolls are here giving "0"'s. Just check their profile and you can see that they apparently bought this game for 3 different systems and gave them all a "0". If you hate CoD so much. Stop buying it. Activition makes a lot of money with this franchise and they will continue to do so until people stop buying the game. They don't care how much you hate the game, as long as you buy it. So next year, don't buy it, and let the people who do buy it, rate the game. Expand
  36. Jan 28, 2014
    A pretty fun game to play online, or with your friends. Zombies is kind of in between good and bad. The campaign is horrible, yet again. But the multiplayer is what counts, so there for my honest score is a 7/10
  37. Jan 13, 2013
    Looking on this, the game got awful reviews. I am very frustrated with how Treyarch told people that whoever preordered the hardened edition to Black Ops II got the exclusive Nuketown zombie map ONLY. The week the game comes out, they tell the community that the "exclusive only" Nuketown zombie map will be released on an upcoming add-on to the game. I spent an extra twenty dollars on the game and I was angry. Especially when the game was already sixty dollars, and I spent the extra twenty when I could have just spent the sixty on the preorder of the game, and separately bought the Nuketown zombie map. Treyarch will never get my preorder money again. So anyway, how about I start off with the campaign? The campaign was incredible. I had a lot of fun deciding what I wanted to do. I loved how Treyarch gave you the choice of what you wanted to do, it made the game more interesting and more suspenseful on what was going to happen throughout the turn outs of the game. It had a ton of twists to it as well, one hit me when I wasn't expecting it. Now, the games multiplayer is also absolutely incredible. After playing it for hours and hours on end, I've managed to have a lot of fun. The connection though is why it's losing part of my score here. Call of Duty has always been known for it's bad multiplayer connection, it's "no-life" players, and it's cheap "campers". The multiplayer in Black Ops II in my mind is fun, and unless the connection continues to get worse, I will continue to think that way. Now onto the upset, zombie mode. Sure, TranZit is fun and all, but the zombies is just a disgrace. I am very disappointed to see how small the maps are in survival. Black Ops I had better zombie maps, wide-open, much bigger, much more room to have fun. The game deserves a six because of the disappointments I had with Treyarch, the connection, and the zombie game mode map size. Expand
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    Story: Black Ops 2 's setting takes place in 2 parts. One takes place in 2025, the other takes place after the 1st Black Ops (cold war). The game features characters returning from the 1st Black Ops, and new characters for the future missions. All the voice acting in the campaign is great, and the game's villain is good. The biggest surprise though is that the story is Actually great. It's not like MW2 and 3 where you're fighting Russians, it's actually different and you get to learn the backstory of the plot in the past sections and see how those events affect the future and the villain's plan. Rating: 9

Gameplay: Treyarch added some new features to the single player to give it some replay value. They added challenges, player choices, strike force missions (suck), and the biggest addition to me is the create-a-class. Now you can choose your own loadout for each mission and not have to deal with whatever the game gives you. However, the A.I is still dumb and the campaign is sadly only 4.5 hours long. Rating: 8

Graphics: I will say the graphics are the best CoD graphics I've ever seen, but that's not saying much. Rating: 7

Music: The main theme by Trent Reznor is great, but the rest of the soundtrack isn't memorable. Rating: 5

Multiplayer: Since almost everyone buys CoD for the multiplayer, this section might be the most important section of all, and I have a lot of stuff to say about the MP. In my opinion, the most important thing in an FPS multiplayer is balance, which this game is LACKING. After the 1st week, the community started to notice some guns that did better than most of the guns. Some examples are: PDW-57 and MSMC (slightly nerfed), AN-94 (still overpowered after a ton of patches), FAL (gun's even banned in League play), R870-MCS (still extremely overpowered and I hate this shotgun), LMGs with Target Finder (LMGs already have low recoil, now Treyarch basically gave them an aimbot), C4s with the FAST HANDS perk (you're telling me a soldier can pull a C4 out of his ass and throw it in half a second and detonate it using his mind?), DEXTERITY perk (especially annoying with shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles, and quickdraw attachment), and quickscoping is back (great. P.S sarcasm). The maps here are BAD. Where as in MW2 and the 1st Black Ops, the maps were pretty good, now 90% of these BO2 maps are uninspired, mostly small (SMGs dominate AGAIN), almost no good spots where snipers (not quickscopers) and LMGs can perch up and support their team, and most of these maps have the same overused 3 lane layout (1 path in the middle, 2 in the sides). Lag compensation also returns being more annoying than ever. This game also has an UNPATCHABLE audio bug that mutes all game sounds and replaces it with this weird helicopter like sound that's exclusive to PS3 users (I think). But the MP did do some things right (mostly in customization). They improved on the already great emblem editor, they added League Play (for any of you try hards out there), improved theater mode, and added new and unique camos for your gun (most are in microtransactions). But these cons FAR outweigh the pros, and for someone who loved BO1's MP, I'm extremely disappointed. Rating: 4

Zombies: I'm a big zombies fan, and I was MORE disappointed with the zombies than the multiplayer (although Treyarch redeemed themselves with the DLC). the 1st map we got (Tranzit) was TERRIBLE. 85% of the map was covered in fog (which ruins exploration), the lava on the floor made exploration even worse. The map also had denizens (MOST ANNOYING ENEMY EVER), the "new crew" isn't funny, the Easter egg sucks, the map is WAY too huge for 4 players, and some of the perks (PHD Flopper, Deadshot Daiquri, and Mule Kick) weren't even on this map. One thing Tranzit added was Double Tap 2.0 (increased damage and made D.T more useful). The other launch gamemodes aren't as good either. Survival is just normal zombies on small maps (WAY too small for 4 players), and Grief was just wasted potential. The idea of having 4 V 4 on zombies where you have to troll the enemy team into defeat sounded cool, but ended up being just 8 players playing on the survival maps because you don't get much options on how to affect the enemy team's chance of survival (knifing and zombie meat. That's it). The only other things that Treyarch did that was good was add theater mode into zombies, and add solo leaderboards. But I still think Treyarch took a step backwards from moon with tranzit. Rating: 4

Overall: BO2 was a HUGE disappointment to me when compared to the 1st Black Ops. Improved campaign, BROKEN MP, and disappointing zombies makes this game the 3rd worse CoD in my opinion. Overall rating:6
  39. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is just awful. I really wanted to get into it, but I just couldn't. It's the same tired formula they used in black ops, and it's even less enjoyable than mw3. The single player campaign is awful, the game gives you auto-aim, so you don't even have to try when playing, and it still uses the same engine it's been using for so many years now. Call of Duty has essentially been turned into a $100 per year subscription service. If you value the video game industry and are tired of being taken advantage of, stop giving in and play games that are actually GOOD for a change. Expand
  40. Oct 21, 2013
    Another year, another generic and tired Call of Duty. It has lost it's way, lacking innovation every year. While having a descent zombie multiplayer and a great story, it fails with the awful multiplayer and predictable campaign design. Without even offering a descent RTS element, without even changing the basics for the multiplayer, without even changing the graphics engine, without even really upgrading the Zombies mode... This is a shame for the first-person shooters. At least there's some fun to have with the Zombies and with the interesting story. (Final Score: 5.58) Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2012
    This time COD has shipped with an insurmountable number of bugs in both singleplayer and multiplayer. I have had to restart my playstation numerous times due to freezes and have had to deal with disconnects/lag with common occurrence. All the "new additions" are overhyped and do not even impact gameplay greatly along with the "futuristic" setting. To be honest we need to stop buying this yearly cash grab it's not getting better that's for sure Expand
  42. Nov 13, 2012
    It's time for warmed up re-served leftovers again, it's Call of Duty time! With the same 14 years old id Tech 3 engine, and the same old dozen times rehashed gameplay, the "newest" CoD barely released already feels older than my grandma. Avoid like the plague or they will continue pumping out this crap twice a year with the same ancient engine until the end of times. Support devs with your money that actually try to make new and interesting games instead of just re-warming the same old crap that lost all taste ages ago. Expand
  43. Jan 27, 2013
    I don't see why people hate this game so much. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's certainly not a great game. The story and the general themes seem quite racist, with every non-white character (apart from Tony Todd) betraying the pure, hard working white characters seems racist, as the idea of killing white people will make Treyarch run for their safety blanket. But the story seems like it has some deeper meanings, as it has room for exploring the theme of unmanned military and how it greatly effects war, but most of the time it just wants you to lose yourself in shooty action xenophoby-fun. The bog-standard shooting remains intact and the level design has been changed up from 'run down this corridor, kill the under-privileged' to 'go down these optional, slightly non-linear paths and kill the under-privileged whilst also being able to optionally man turrets and drones'. The choices have been fleshed out pretty well too, even though they are made fully explicit. I like how you can choose to shoot Tony Todd in the head or shoot him in the leg, but if you wait long enough the black guy will just knock him out for you. That's pretty neat. I like how the choices effect your future game, and it a great new take on a series established as being a linear conveyor-belt of linear linearity. The strike force missions are definitely the best part about the game and are heavily replayable, I just wish there were more of them. But I cannot praise competence as if it's excellence, as there have been more meaningful shooters that have come out this year that are generally more risky. Black Ops 2 is by all means safe, it doesn't try to challenge the player mentally, but is above average which is surprising because all other COD campaigns have been bog-standard at best. Overall, it's a refreshing game, and if you're a fan of multi-player shooters or zombie games, this is a must play. It's pretty much 3 passable games in one, and for $60, what more could you ask for? Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    I don't mind the activision set of releases, they go okay. (though MW3 was shockin). But this is just utter tripe.

As far as I'm concerned CoD releases a 6 to 7 / 10 game once every two years and a crap money swindeling spin off every other year.

Campaign is predictable and at times stupid. MP is repetitive and boring.
  45. Oct 15, 2013
    The typical, humdrum, repetitive game that people have somehow not come to expect over the almost ten years of the CoD franchise.

The gameplay is exactly the same, and as many say: "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." However, the game has been broken for quite some time, and though it totes some fun to be had with a few friends, the sheer lack of support in terms of patching and the
    unbalanced nature of the game, make something that is apparently online focused seem like a joke.

Each CoD is hyped with several exciting story trailers, and yet again, we are treated to a boring, Hollywood centric piece. And this is delivered in top class by the appalling writing of David S. Goyer, who's attempt at military propaganda is no better than someone who doesn't claim to be a writer.

The fact that Trent Reznor has written the score, was something that got me half excited, but the material he has provided was nothing short of mediocre.

Overall an appalling repetition of last years instalment. Steer clear of this one.
  46. May 19, 2014
    this cod has the best story of all the cods since the bad guy this time is a proper bad guy, i really liked the mp this time around only thing disappointing was zombies which is sad cause that was really the reason i got into cod in the first place
  47. Jan 9, 2013
    Firstly the game has amazing graphics , a great ( but short) campaign 8/10 zombies is not that good not enough maps and they are small 6/10 multiplayer is fun but the ps3 keeps freezing not that different from previos cods mw3 might have been a better game if you dont care for zombies because of the great survival mode overall a decent game a must buy for COD freaks but not neccessary if you own MW3 Expand
  48. Nov 15, 2012
    Jesus Christ. How did they managed to make this game look worth than MW2? I can't believe it is 2012 looking at this game graphics. I love how Critics said about MOH:WF that it was so scripted and you telling me Black OPS 2 is not? Really? Makes me feel like an idiot when I play single player. I knew that multiplayer is going to be pretty much the same and I bought this game to play with my kids via split screen. And I am so disappointed in that regard. When u play split screen graphics look even more worth. Come on. Make a freaking new engine greedy f......! I feel that I just trow away 60 bucks for no good reason. Go to hell Activision. U will not see any money from me coming ur way!!!! Expand
  49. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a horrible game. This is the same as Black Ops 1, same engine, same guns. Lame DLC, Lame Servers. This was just a money maker for them, a rushed game in which should have been a 3 or 4 year project. Every COD, should take at least 4 years to make NOT 1 every year.

COD mainly is for Little Kids ask there Mom's to buy it and in so they can play with their friends and spend money
    on DLC.

Big Companys that host Competitive games with not good MLG players and spend Millions but cant fixed the servers? Smh
  50. Jun 9, 2013
    HONESTLY IT DOES HURT THE GAME INDUSTRY THAT THESE REDUNDANT COD GAMES SELL 30MIL COPPIES EACH. People buy 20-30mil copies of CoD and miss out on truly unique games like metro 2033 or the darkness 2 and these are in the same genre they are FPS's and damn good too. How many people can say they truly bought call of duty black ops AND Metro 2033 Not many if any and at least metro is an FPS too. Can anyone say black op2 was actually pound for pound better than Deus Ex H.R.? Now i don't always agree with critics but even they thought deus ex was much better than black ops2 and look how deus ex sells maybe 2 million including pc and Call of doody black oops2 sells 10 times that on xbox alone. Even worse a great immersive FPS with ten times the heart and story Metro 2033 sells under 500,000 copies, yes it sold in the ball park of four hundred thousand copies...shameful that a quality game like that sells all together less than what CoD sells in one day. Is this because CoD blows ops2 is soooooo much better than metro....? NO, it is not but brain washed sheep buy the same game with the same engine in it with the same graphics every single year, they just change the name or put a creative (1),(2),or (3) next to it and the lambs come running to shell out 60$ instead of getting a truly unique experience and maybe having some taste or style or any uniqueness of your own. Even a mega hit multiplatform game that in my opinion might be the best of all time the vaunted "Fallout 3" pales in comparison with around 8mil sold while each CoD game more than triples those sales. Can even a CoD fan name any CoD game that even comes close to being as great as Fallout 3....wait i forgot to say that modernwarfare 2 doesn't count........just kidding that would be too cruel because that is what you were gonna say right CoD fanboy you original gamer you, and i bet you play CoD on your XBOX too how original and i bet you don't even play the 4hr campaign do you? All you 14yr olds and 40yr olds alike just grab a slim jim, take a swig of Monster if you are 14 and of course Budweiser if you are 40 and start on that CoD multiplayer with all that great story and non repetitive MP gameplay, of course you do this while waiting in anticipation for bungie's next sterile, super unique( i.e. halo 3 odst) game. Oh wait bungie is actually doing something good now (i.e. Destiny) so i guess 343 or whatever their name is will be copy and pasting a new label on the same old halo game, but at least halo doesnt come out twice a year. Good luck on not being as good as Battlefield 4 Call of Doody Ghosts (scary ghosts) but hey there are enough dumb people out there so you will outsell them even with last gen graphics and the same exact engine as model warfare. Greedy, Greedy Activision shoveling crap and calling it caviar when will you stop buying it. Expand
  51. lox
    Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't even finished the campaign for Black Ops 2 due to the fact that it is god awfully boring and the multiplayer is fun for a few days but then it gets boring as hell as well. The hit detection is terrible, the spawn points aren't that great, and the maps are sub par, and full of head glitching and camping spots. In the end Black Ops 2 is fun for a little while but it gets boring and irritating very quickly. Expand
  52. Nov 22, 2012
    I got mine on the day it came out. I knew going into it all I would be playing is the multiplayer as I don't like zombies or the story. The last call of duty story was lame and never made it past the first 2 hours. Same with this one was boring. I like playing Batman Arkum City and the story on this was does not even compare. However the multiplayer is fantastic. A lot of the same but different. Better guns, maps and equipment. I love playing the multiplayer with my friends. Expand
  53. Dec 6, 2012
    The campaign is 6.5/10. The Multiplayer is - 6.5/10. Spawn killing, lag switching, team killing, boosting, aimbots (yes, there are, deniers), lag so horrendous that even the best connection runs 1-2 seconds behind everyone else. You'd think that a company that just made ONE BILLION DOLLARS in 15 days off of this, PLUS the BILLIONS off of the last several, that they'd care enough to fix it: NOPE, they already have your money.

"HA HA" - Nelson
  54. Nov 20, 2012
    Please donate £1 per month to poor michael, unfortunately he spent all of his christmas allowance on a video game, this game in question has made his life miserable, it has bullied him, tormented him and even asaulted him, no child should have to put up with this, so for as little as £1 per month you can help eliminate retail copies of call of duty black ops 2, children who have been freed from the grasp of COD say they feel like they have been given a new life and can live in peace, make this dream a reality for many children this christmas and give £1 to our specialist activision assassination squad, or if you cant afford that, just simply go into your local retail store and go all bruce lee on their stocked copies od COD:black ops 2. Expand
  55. Nov 28, 2012
    OMG seriously, what's with all the **** conspiracy. This game is fine. It's just more COD. You get what you expect. Don't listen to these nuts. Go rent it from Redbox. It's still a good time.
  56. Nov 14, 2012
    I don´t know why this game is so critised by the people. This game comes with the best multiplayer of this year, the most complete and it brings hours and hours of entertainment. The zombies are, in my opinion, the best alter-mode of a game in all history. I think it´s the best mode of this game for playing with friends.
    The campaing mode is amazing too, like all the other of
    call of duty. For me, the best campaing was Black Ops 1, and this is as interesting and as exciting as the first black ops.

In conclusion, my final conclusion of this game:

The best: Hundreds and thousands of hours of entertainment at multiplayer and at zombies. The movie mode in zombies is amazing. The campaing mode is also incredible.
    The worst: Now, so much bugs to matchmaking at multiplayer. Graphics a bit bad in 2012. Games like MOH Warfighter, BTF 3 or Crysis 2 have so much better graphics than this game.
  57. Jan 18, 2013
    COD is GOD, this franchise is popular for a reason, the games are fast, well made and most of all FUN. Too many people buy a Call of Duty game expecting it to be more than it is and are ultimately disappointed as these reviews show. Personally I love it when a new one comes out, I don't care for multiplayer because of the morons you typically find in the playlists.. Oh the tedium of it all, but the single player campaign.. That is where it's at for me, yes.. They are often short however some people like myself like to play the entire story from beginning to end for instance when I bought BO2 I first played WAW, BO and then BO2 so the game had continuity and context, the experience was great even better is the element of choice that has been incorporated into the game. The strike force missions in particular are a lot of fun and allow the implementation of strategy, for without... You are boned. Those with less than average intelligence should just stick to multiplayer matches and gold plated guns and not attempt these missions at all, or you could write a half arsed review and post it here with the other haters, I give this game a 10. Expand
  58. Jun 6, 2013
    Haters love to hate and say that critics reviews for this game is biased. Maybe, but isn't haters just as biased. After all, they're probably fan boys of Halo or Battlefield and they think that the franchise is so superior that they have to hate every other games by saying it's the same thing every year (which is pretty cheap). But don't worry, this review is not biased. This review comes from a person who plays Call of Duty but accepts the fact that other franchises are just as good or better, but some do suck. We can't like everything but you can trust an unbiased review, like this one, where details about the game are considered, not the haters who say it's the same because it is and that's it.

Call of Duty is not getting better but to say it's the same is completely false and that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. Sequels can be different but they generally aren't which would usually make the franchise, as well as the business, inconsistent. Is Halo 2 so much different than Halo: Combat Evolved? Don't expect something completely new, it's a new game for a franchise that's been around for almost 10 years now. Also, game franchises that are released annually doesn't mean bad. Is Call of Duty the only franchise that does this? No, look at Assassin's Creed and Fifa. So, there are three modes. Campaign, Multiplayer and Zombies. Seen before but revamped with added features. Campaign is the first in the franchise to feature branching storyline driven by player choice. It's also the first to feature nonlinear gameplay, thanks to it's multiple endings. But this feature is not so impressive if you're not into the story in the Black Ops series, you would instead go straight into the multiplayer like many fans. If you are, campaign is a real treat. The way you play the game is different and the story is not too predictable. Strike Force sounds awesome on paper and it could have been if it had been executed a bit better. The AI for allies is poor, you often have to direct them to one area and then do everything yourself.

When it comes to multiplayer, Infinity Ward has always been stronger with a more innovative and addictive multiplayer mode that adds depth to the franchise. Infected and Kill Confirmed especially in Modern Warfare 3. Theatre Mode sucks, it doesn't save all recent gameplays and you can only view them as clips but hopefully Treyarch will fix that. There are obviously new stuff you would expect such as guns, perks and scorestreaks. Pick 10 system is the best system in the franchise for class customization. It changes the way you play the game so instead of having to choose a grenade, you can replace it with another attachment if that's what you prefer. Wildcards cost one point each, they break the normal rules of creating a class, which allows you to select an additional perk. Three wildcards can be used in a loadout at a time which lets you select a perk from Tier 1, 2 or 3. The Pick 10 systems lets you choose 10 elements to make up a loadout and this is a system that should be used in future titles. Good thing about small maps is that the gameplay is paced faster so that shouldn't be a negative aspect, although the multiplayer map designs aren't the best in Black Ops II. CODCast is an innovative feature which allows you stream via YouTube if making YouTube video is one of your hobbies, which it is for many people. There may be a lot of little kids online but children these days don't play games that are age appropriate. Does that mean the franchise is bad? Hell, no! Kids play Grand Theft Auto and Halo but I don't hear any complaints about that. They may ruin the multiplayer experience but it's no one's fault but the parent who is responsible for the content that their child plays and watch.

Zombies comes with two new modes as well as Survival, Tranzit and Grief. Grief supports 8 players, 4 players per team, and the team wins if at least one of their players is the last one to survive. Tranzit mode is basically a combination of multiple maps and the only way to travel is by bus, as you might have seen in the trailer. Zombie is good fun and these are fun new modes if you want to play more than just Survival. Lava encourages you not to stand in one place, like you could do in previous titles featuring zombies, and it makes it more challenging but it's also annoying. When you get hit by a zombie a few times, you would often run into a lava and you could die. Still, you die and try again in many video games. Zombie is still the best aspect of Black Ops. Graphics isn't everything and it doesn't have to look the best, the franchise isn't really known for having the best graphics, but it's still good enough for the standard of modern games. They use the same engine from Black Ops and improved it but because Infinity Ward uses a newer engine for their Call of Duty games, Modern Warfare 3 looks better.
  59. Nov 25, 2012
    This game just plain sucks... Has a bunch of freezing problems and people of course yelling at each other every game I go into or else it would be a background mic. I first played the campaign I thought that was ok but when I was almost done with the campaign my screen just turned black so guess what I had to do...RESTART MY PS3. So I booted it back up and I HAD TO RESTART THE WHOLE MISSION AGAIN!!!!!! The multiplayer of course has a bunch of kids, people yelling at each other or background mics for everygame I go into. Multiplayer gameplay is really the same I had a bunch of freezing problems at the loading screen so more restarting the PS3.....Multiplayer just plain sucks now. The multiplayer also has a bunch of lag compensation so i would put it on best. You would still find it on best connection...Zombies is terrible it has more freezing problems then the multiplayer. But the zombies is ok so thats why I gave my score a 2 for good campaign and zombies gameplay. This series needs to die so bad. COD 4 is still the best with good campaign and multiplayer and never wants me to rage on that game. Treyarch you failed on a very popular game series. Expand
  60. Aug 26, 2013
    I have played all the cods since cod4. Cod4:Great! Codwaw:Good Mw2:OK CodBO:good zombies Codmw3:Ugh Codbo2:really? this game is not worth a review Buy it when its in the 10$ bin. Just like most of them, Boring campain, ruined zombies,Multiplayer is full of people swearing and using all the easy stuff and abusing glicthes. and in genaral It sould be called: Copy and paste Duty Bad ops 2. Also the graphics are so cartoonie Expand
  61. Jun 14, 2014
    It's true that Black Ops II has some flaws. The bigger ones are that the zombie maps are **** the game is linear, and falls in the category of six-hour gameplay, and even though it's set only a decade from our current year, soldiers carry sniper rifles that can pierce entire buildings, gloves that stick to surfaces and gigantic warfare robots.
    But it has some redemption. First, there's
    branching storyline. Who the hell doesn't like branching decisions? And to make you curious, there's a twist in the story that'll make you throw your remote out the window. Second, we get to remeet our old pals, Hudson, Mason and Woods. I loved Black Ops, so we get a warm feeling of being back home.
    The game has various flaws, but if you don't think about it, it's simple and plain fun.
  62. Aug 27, 2013
    Black Ops II is not my personal favorite of the franchise nor do I think it should be in the franchise at all, but that does not mean that the game is bad. The new environments are a real treat to look at and new weapons are fun to use. The controls are pretty much the same so don't think you'll have a hard time to jump into the game. Zombie mode is also fun to play, especially with a friend online or right in the living room. Online mode is pretty straightforward with the same modes and new maps and features. Bo2 is just an old car with new paint, but you'll definitely get a kick out of it. Expand
  63. Aug 17, 2013
    9.1 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

This does not beat the original "Black Ops"-game in my book, but it does come pretty close. While it does not greatly improve upon the Call of Duty series, like "Black Ops" did, it does continue what the original did right. The things we loved about "Black Ops" can easily be found here (the customization, zombies, combat training and more), but sadly,
    so can much of the things we didn't like (the confusing aspects of the story, for example).

For being a very linear series, it comes as a surprise that this Call of Duty-game packs 6 different endings, depending on the decisions you make during the campaign. This, I believe, is a bad move. It puts unwanted pressure on the player that causes us to constantly replay missions to make sure we get the best ending. I constantly found myself looking up the right decision online whenever I had to make one, because I was afraid of making a mistake. This is something you don't want the player to have to do while playing your game.

On the other hand, I believe the 10 point-system in class customization is a huge hit. And that is something I think Treyarch is excellent at doing; the customization.

So other than minor gripes, I think this is a much worthy sequel to "Call of Duty: Black Ops".
  64. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You knew it, we all knew it, even they knew it!! Haha finally even the fanboys admit it, COD is dead. Those of us who have had the games from the very first , who can remember the pc cod 2 and its glorious entrance and even MW before that got horribly messed up in Mw2- the glory days are over. COD I salute you- but like that old warhorse you loved it's time to lead it down the path to the barn and put your gun to your shoulder, say your last goodbye, and with something like sorrow out the barrel to its head and put it out of its misery. Thanks for everything cod, it's a shame you didn't go out in style. This game is the cenotaph, the ugly reminder of what should never have been, surpassed by so many and now consigned to mediocrity. For those of you who bought it, for shame- you surely saw Bo and realised that unless you were 12 with ADHD this game was nothing like its predecessor? Surely you saw the signs. Thank god I didn't pay for it, what a fitting reminder of how the mighty can fall. Sleep well now cod, and god bless. Xx Expand
  65. Dec 4, 2012
    While no game deserves a 0 as a score this game definitely does not deserve a 10. Single player basically comes down to more of the same old formula Activision has forced these development companies to work with. The AI is laughable at best, but every one knows the Call of Duty franchise has never had the best coding for AI. The story line in general is 5 hours long and is really bland, unimaginative, and well, more of the same. They try to deviate from becoming a linear corridor shooter by supposedly providing player with options but they don't truly affects the game. The ending on the other hand might. Which is suppose to add re playability to the first person campaign, but there's really no reason to play over the same campaign for just a different ending. Multiplayer, this is the are where this game should shine but it seems the MP portion of this game feels a lot similar to that of MW3 and of course Black Ops. Small scaled maps with tons of areas to camp. Basically comes down to which ever team can camp the middle ground the best wins the game. The rest is just protecting the same corner through out the game with occasionally moving 3-6 feet away from your old camp spot to corner camp in a different spot. There are no need to watch your back as certain equipment and streaks do that for your. The game is slow paced and also suffers from the same old bad hit detection. While it does some what fix old issues like knifing people from miles away, it does at times glitch and can cause your character to launch at another player. Kill streaks seem re-hashed but with an added "futuristic" approach. There's always lag and horrible host selection, the spawn points are mediocre at best, but what can one expect from such small maps that are crammed with buildings to make them seem "big." The leveling system online has been set to keep players from playing. While it gives players who have been playing the game longest the upper hand with over powered weaponry and the best perks. The new set up is suppose to force players into playing the objective, that is not the case. The way the maps are set up actually encourage players to whore kill streaks and never actually go for any objective. Word of advice, try to level as fast as you can to get ghost perk, it's a uav whore type of game. Zombies: This is where this game shines. It's somewhat new but refreshing at the same time reminds me a bit of Left for Dead. Which is great fun to be honest. If this game was just a zombie installment I would definitely recommend this game. Other wise, save yourself some money and just rent this game or save up for MW5 or BLOPS 4; Skip a generation or two just like any one in their right mind would with Fifa games. Expand
  66. Nov 18, 2012
    Black Ops 2 is for me the best CoD game since CoD4, it's a different take on the formula which proves that good things can still be done with CoD. Don't get me wrong though, just buying this game for the multiplayer wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, the singleplayer really needs to be played. You really see that the singleplayer has gotten more effort this time around with multiple endings depending on your actions throughout the game. The story is pretty good this time around, with a good villain that seals the deal, some plot elements weren't as explored as I would have liked to, but still an enjoyable ride. Still, the zombies mode is improved but still pretty familiar, as is the multiplayer itself. It's ironic that for me, the singleplayer is what sells the game, considering that CoD today is famous for its multiplayer. I give this game a 7/10, for making a valid effort, being fun but still being kinda familiar. Expand
  67. Dec 29, 2013
    There is a lot of haters out there and to be honest I am half a hater myself, for how bad the graphics are when compared to games by EA, SCE etc., for how they never have any innovation on anything, but there is no deny that CoD is a pretty solid franchise. It might be repetitive, but it is always functional and definitely playable.
    bo2 is a mediocre shooter, but it definitely isnt a 0
    out of 10. It did earn infinity ward more than it deserves, but cmon we cant expect them to come out and be like "we know our game sucks so we are asking our fans to please stop buying them" right? So let's just give them a break and hope CoD gets better in the future. Expand
  68. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is a good mix between MW2 and Black Ops 1 as far as multiplayer is concerned. It has good guns, some great maps, and the pick 10 system is great. The only real downfalls of this game are the Zombies mode, which failed to deliver on its ambitious promises; its terrible Campaign, which is literally nothing to get excited about (it's only worth playing for trophies). Games like these are why the video game industry is becoming stagnant and this should be a cut off point for the series...for now. If a game has to rely on its multiplayer, it's obviously not good. We all need to think about that before we get suckered into buying another CoD game. Expand
  69. Jan 16, 2014
    This franchise has gone pretty stale. The story mode is unengaging and the graphics are not extraordinary. Zombie mode is just alright. The multiplayer is this game's only slight redemption, however it doesn't really offer anything different from previous COD releases. There are much better FPS games on the market. If you are a person that doesn't expect the least bit of depth in your games, are satisfied with "just another COD", and want a mildly entertaining run-and-gun multiplayer experience... you might like this. I however do not. Expand
  70. May 28, 2014
    Fantastic campaign combined with endless hours of multiplayer enjoyment not to mention zombies give this game a definite 10. My favorite COD campaign, second favorite multiplayer (BO1 first).
  71. Dec 6, 2012
    I'm going to divide this review up into 3 sections. 1) Campaign - 10/10. This is the best part of the game in my opinion. The story is very interesting. One really awesome new feature is that in certain parts of the game you get to choose what happens. Example: Press this to shoot him, or press that to shoot the other guy. This means that there is a variety of endings! The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the Strike Force Missions, but you can skip them if you would like. Multiplayer - 6/10. Overall, the multiplayer is fun and what you would come to expect. The last CoD I had played before Black Ops II was World At War. And the multiplayer from WaW was pretty much the same from BO2, but with just a few differences. There's a new Pick 10 class system where you can pick a combination of 10 weapons, perks, attachments, lethals/tacticals, and wildcards. And the "Killstreaks" are now "Scorestreaks". Zombies - 9/10. Zombies are just like before, but better. There is a new TranZit mode, where its a huge world where you ride a bus and go to different locations to find parts to build different things. Then there is Grief, which is like regular Survival, but there are 2 teams instead of the regular 1. Last team standing wins. Now there is also custom Zombies, where you can choose different options like: which round to start on (1, 5, 10, 15, or 20), Hellhounds, headshots only, and a few others. Overall - 8/10. This is a good game, they just need to do something about the multiplayer and maybe get a better graphics engine because the engine is starting to show its age. Expand
  72. Nov 14, 2012
    I gave this game a 9 because too many are bashing this game. I mean really what did you expect a next gen game that's not even possible until the new consoles arrive and even then it will have to be tweaked before we have a game that runs as smooth as COD titles. They are similar but I have played only multiplayer and I believe it is the best and most balanced online experience I've had with any COD lightyears beyond MW3 which I liked as well. If you hate COD why do you buy it every year? I'm a BF fan as well but I don't get bored as quick with CoD. They are different games all together with a unique feel to each. I believe CoD games are either loved or hated but it is still good. Stop buying it but I really want all you noobs to keep getting it so I can shred you guys up and help my stats. I don't care about team play if no one else does because I mute all anyways. Campaign I'm sure sucks and I'll just play for the trophies. The zombies I really never got into even on the first game I'll give it a try but I don't think it will draw me in too much. One last thing that I do like about Cod is they don't charge you for a ten dollars just to play online like most games these days and that matters to me because I have two PS3s and I hate to always have to pay for a pass for my son. So get and just have fun or sell it and don't buy the products anymore. It is obviously a great franchise just look at the sales and the need for some to hate it. I love it gets a 9 from me just for the multiplayer. JUST HAVE FUN!! Hit me up my username on here is the same as my PSN ID Expand
  73. Feb 16, 2013
    Campaign is decent in comparison to other CoDs but still pretty mediocre. Multiplayer maps are also mediocre, and the game has some serious technical problems. The weapon balance is excellent, however, but in typical Treyarch fashion, there is very little variety among the weapons. Generally not enough recoil on them either. Zombies is actually a lot worse than it was in WaW and BO, but still playable. The game is decent overall, but it lacks in innovation and change, as we have come to expect from Call of Duty titles. Overall, very meh. Expand
  74. Jun 10, 2013
    This is what I think about Black Ops II. I think that It had a good story line, some really cool added features to the campaign like a more diverse custom load-out, and the Multiplayer was better then the Vanilla Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer. I think that the point system was great. It allowed people not to become over-powered and you could choose what you wanted with the consequence of not being allowed as much stuff. I enjoyed the scorestreak better then I enjoyed the killstreak. It allowed my to appreciate the points that I got on the screen a lot more for getting kills with a hellstorm missile. The story-line was the best Call of Duty story-line since CoD4 (I kid you not). The maor problems I had were the not-so-necessary missions (killing people with your machete) and the unlock tokens. I believe that if you earned it, then it should come automatically to you instead of picking and choosing what you want. Everyone saying custom emblems suck because people make d*cks and such out of them, everyone who is immature is prone to do something like that in any customization system. I give it an 8/10 because of the major step head of the previous game. Oh, I forgot to mention the Zombies and the endless fun that brought to me. Expand
  75. Nov 20, 2012
    Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. God Bless America. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Video game propaganda. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. DiShoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.e. Respawn. Zombies. Americans are all consuming zombies. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Terrible. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Expand
  76. Dec 14, 2012
    All you have to do is look at critic reviews to see how good this game is; 15 positive, 3 mixed & 0 negative.
    User reviews 208 negative, haterz gonna hate.
  77. Apr 27, 2013
    While definitely not as good as the previous Black Ops, this game is undeniably more polished and functional. They've taken out things people hated like second chance, and added in some interesting things like the MMS to multiplayer. Single player is your average CoD campaign- pretty bland. Zombies mode is less fun but is a step away from previous levels and is more challenging. It just isn't as fun.
    The Strike Force missions are fun though. I feel people who compain CoD never changes aren't looking at it objectively.
  78. May 6, 2014
    Black Ops 2 is definitely one of the great Call of Dutys. It has a fantastic Campaign, the multiplayer is almost perfect except for the lag! Zombies is better than before and the multiplayer is actually fun to play, if you can't choose between Black Ops 2 and Ghosts then i STRONGLY recommend this.
  79. Jul 9, 2014
    its the best black ops yet but should extend the levels on campaign the guns are brilliant but should upgraid them more often the multiplayer is awsome! i recomend this to anyone who enjoyes playing high quility shooting games.
  80. Nov 17, 2012
    First, I'm going to review the single player campaign. The story is, well, it's a Call of Duty game. So without spoiling anything, the story is your generic bad guy out there, US forces must go stop him, blah. The better things this time around is that you can customize your loadout for each mission. The introduction of "Strike Force" Missions is a feeble attempt at spicing up the single player campaign. You basically control a few turrets, one robot mech, and two squads of "SEALS". I put "SEALS" in quotation marks because these SEALs are worse in combat than a bunch of preteens playing paintball. Unless you're manually controlling a unit, they will do nothing but die. On Veteran mode, it is literally impossible to win a strike force mission. Having the unit you control die in less than 5 seconds becomes frustrating after it's happened for the 50th time, just so you can lose the mission.

Onto multiplayer, for the PS3 version, four things may happen. One, you can't play because you get an error message saying can't connect to servers or something along those lines. Two, you can't play because two minutes or so into the game, you get "Connection Interrupted" and get kicked out of the lobby. Three, you can't play because despite having high speed Internet, for some reason you always get a red 1-bar lag-tastic connection. Four, you play perfectly fine, but still you lose one on one gun fights, despite the fact that you're aiming down sight, get the first few bullets on target, behind high cover, and having every single possible tactical advantage, but this far into the Call of Duty series I think we've all come to know this game as being 40% luck, 59% connection, and 1% skill.

I gave this game one point for having a mediocre campaign (with a few near pointless gimmicks thrown in there), for having zombies mode, and for letting me play for about two minutes of every multiplayer match before kicking me out due to "Connection Interrupted". And yes I do have my search preferences set to "best".
  81. Mar 15, 2013
    I can see where fans are coming from in that Black Ops 2 is a rehash of other COD games, and I have to agree that the franchise needs some work and improvisation done to it. Nonetheless Black Ops 2 continues to surprise with its action-packed levels and great variety of weapons. The voice-acting is also still great and it's nice to see the continued character story-arc from BO with Woods, Mason, Hudson etc. and now continuing with Mason's son and co. However the story isn't quite up to scratch with the few other COD's I've played and it can be a little confusing when it switches from one level in the past to another in the future and so on, yet it can be forgiven because it ties in with the main villain's life who is definitely one of the best COD has ever seen since he seeks vengeance and you really get understand his motives. Also an addition to the campaign and a change to the series is player-choices in some of the levels which affect the outcome of the game, as well as Strike Force missions which can be slightly annoying and tricky to pull off. The choices however increase the replay value and its nice to see what your actions caused at the end of the campaign. Graphics wise, it's much the same as its always been yet still attractive and gameplay is still simple. For the multiplayer, I have to say I really got stuck into this (although I have hardly played any of the other CODs) and it has great customization for weapons etc, and while I can see zombies is improved I never play it. Overall, a great COD yet with a slightly weaker story, but which it makes up for in its pulse-pounding action and addictive multiplayer. Expand
  82. Jan 4, 2013
    I guess it's cool to hate Black Ops II. Because even though a zillion people bought it and LOVE it, there are still a ton of people who like to troll review sites and forums to talk about how awful it is. All of the troll posts look copy-and-paste jobs from the same silly handbook. "The lag is so bad!" "Too many campers!" "Terrible spawns!" Blah, blah, blah. My guess is that most of the complainers are n00bs who tried to play and went 3-20 then gave up. The rest are professional trolls who don't actually own the game but just love to troll. Whatever. Very good game, glad I bought it. Disregard these knuckleheads. Expand
  83. Jan 2, 2013
    at first i gave this game a 5/ 10 but now it's a 2/10, the campaign is short and dissapointing, you can finish it in a day, the graphics are practically the same with some minor changes, if you see a comparative video oin youtube about mw3 and bo2 you will not notice the difference, the zombies was 1000000 better in bo1, it was funnier and way more hardcore, tranzit is good, but grief and survival were pretty dissapointing, especially because the maps are so small, the multiplayer is so damn unbalanced, lag compensation will make 60% of the bullets you thought you hit to not hit and it just favors players with smg's and shotguns, it is also a camper paradise, the spawn system is crap too, most of the time you will spawn directly into bullets, the maps are so stupid too, they are as small as treyarch's brain, please save your money and don't buy this piece of **** game Expand
  84. Dec 13, 2012
    Honestly the last call of duty MW3 was pulled down the graphic quality and the new that has come to me the only thing that has been gained in sales zombie mode because the single player is very short and the multiplayer is the same **** always
  85. Jan 4, 2013
    The campaign of this game its average.The gameplay was easy even in the highest difficulty possible but the story is well written and scriped it can be a little boring in some levels but overall i give the campaign a 5.5/10. The Multiplayer is the best part of this game.Its fun there are loads of weapons lots of party games etc...I give the multiplayer 8/10.The zombies in my opinion is the most disapointing thing in this game.It gets boring fast if you are in single-player and the atmosphere is much worse than in BO1,if you play zombies in multiplayer it is fun.I give the zombies a 4.5/10.The Graphics,music and sound effects in this game are pretty good not to blow you away but they are good.My rating for the graphics and sounds a 5/10.If you want to play a good campaign you should buy this game if you find it cheap (25$ or less) if you want a good and fun mutiplayer you definetely buy this game and if you enjoy zombies only if you find this game very cheap (10$ or less). Expand
  86. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a Call of Duty game. This game is MW1,MW2,MW2,WAW and BO1. There are only new maps and new guns. And some futuristic flying weapons or something like that. Don't expect anything new. And also there are many multiplayer craches and glitches.
  87. Nov 17, 2012
    I borrowed this game from my cousin, after he got sick of it. The campaign is typical, what you would expect from these games, one thing that bothered me is that the game looked rough, considering it runs on an old engine, I know graphics doesnt make the game but its 2012, the ps3 is capable of over 200flops, and i want a game to look the part. I really lucked out on not buying this game. I just want cutting edge experience from my games and all we got this year was hype, gimmicks and bad endings. Where did the heart go? Expand
  88. Nov 24, 2012
    Black ops 2 looks Amazing being set in the Future. Single Player Campaign is Great, Strike Force Missions is Good, The Zombies mode is good as well. The main problem for this game is the Choices made throughout the Single Player Campaign, which will show some endings.
  89. Nov 16, 2012
    Multiplayer is amusing at best. It has brought some new perk selection that offers at least the flexibility to do what you like (to an extent).

Not played zombies or singlplayer. The engine feels very very dated. MW3 is ok but this is just Meh...

Avoid
  90. Jan 4, 2013
    0/10, the Call of Duty is dead. It was a very good shooter, I enjoy Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare 1, and I just like Zombie Mode. In Black Ops II I just like campaign- it's awesome, everything else- fail. I expected more...
  91. Jan 28, 2013
    Being one of a dozen people who play the singleplayer, I was shocked at how much they mucked up the whole Black Ops storyline. The only time I actually enjoyed this game was playing one on one gun game with my friend(on splitscreen). Turn to multiplayer and you're just asking for a profanity laced speech from a 10 year-old anti-Semite.
  92. Apr 6, 2014
    Easily my favorite Call of Duty game to date. Yes, even better than Modern Warfare, better than Black Ops 1, better than Ghosts. As hard as I try, I cannot think of anything that was done wrong with this game. Story was great. Music was great. Multiplayer was the most well balanced, fun, and addicting in the series. Zombies was meh, but that's just me. I've never been much into Zombies. Gameplay is solid as usual for the series. Expand
  93. Dec 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I understand all the bad reviews for this game. The multiplayer mode is what people buy this game for, or the Zombies mode. But I think most people don't really understand this game, and therefore think of it as a bad game. The new class setup for Black Ops 2 is a massive improvement from earlier games. Instead of just being leveling up for the sake of leveling up, it actually feels like it does have a point, and the point is obvious. When you level up, you both unlock more weapons and you get tokens you can use to be able to use these weapons. because there are only 55 levels, and you earn one token per level, you will not unlock everything in the game, which is a great thing. The main complaint that many people have with this game is the difficulty. The hit box for this game might seem a bit small compared to other games, but there is a reason for it. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 is the most complex and advanced tactical game out there right now. Because of the way that the class setup is made, the room for improvement is big, and you have endless of possibilities when it comes to customization. Every player has a role in Black Ops 2, and you'd be a fool not to realize yours. With a wide range of Score Streaks that are stackable with each other, tactics is very important here. Example: If your team is mainly consisting of people reaching for the objective, you can make their life easier by taking out enemies from a distance using Sniper Rifles, if you are one of the charging people, you can use smoke bombs and thermal sight to see through the smoke to capture flags more easily. You can also make good use of the perk system and wildcards to make the perfect assassin. Because of the point system and the wildcards, you can choose to discard all your weapons, put your points into wildcards and receive twice as many perks. With several perks for advanced movement, and a knife you become a deadly opponent. What I am trying to say is that, the multiplayer in itself is worth the $100 it costs for this game in Norway, and that the Single-player and the Zombies mode makes it even more so. The Zombies mode is good as usual, but not as good as Black Ops'. The Zombie maps are interestingly designed, but feels empty and sometimes quite boring. The single-player is good. It's not as boring as Black Ops, but not as good as Modern Warfare 2. Don't expect a good story, but the weapons are cool. The theme for Black Ops 2 is the future, and that is very apparent in the weapons. Some are very futuristic both in looks and in how they work (like the Kap-40) while others look like normal ones. The game is not quite like Halo in terms of the futuristic looks, but it is noticeable in both the maps and weapons. Overall this is a must buy game for all fans of shooters and Sci-fi, as it provides many many hours of fun. Expand
  94. Jan 14, 2013
    Wow! Amazing story! I didn't buy Black Ops 2 for the story though! I bought it for Zombies! I was and still am totally let down by the 3 maps the game came with I just hope dlc saves this poor game! Wow what a let down! Make a Mars map and save this poor game!
  95. Nov 24, 2012
    Looks like I'm going to have to jump in here and help out this score as much as I can. Before I start, let me say that I've only played the game a little with my friend, so I couldn't get that much of a feel for it. But I am going to base it off of what I've seen so far, which is the full campaign and several hours of multiplayer. First of all, let's stop comparing this to MW3. The two are not truly comparable. Second, let's look at what makes a game good: Depth, replayability, completeness... The story line was excellent, as it gives you a chance to make your own choices, which is new to a CoD campaign. It avoids the complexity of an RPG, which is what the cod series has done on purpose to focus more on multiplayer. The zombies is more complicated than ever, which adds a challenge, but I think another kino map is needed with less complexity just to balance it out (for those who liked to run in circles until round 100). Next, replayability: the game has infinite replayability on multiplayer: even if the playerbase ends in 10 or so years, a person can still play against AI in combat mode. Ok. Let's look at the multiplayer. Gamers need to keep an open mind: I like to explain the gameplay like a cross between BO1 and Homefront. The lower but still good scorestreaks are decently easy to get, so everyone can feel good when they play, and the better players can go for the higher scorestreaks while forced to play the objective to do so, since more points are given for doing that than just being a mercenary. The pick 10 create-a-class is an ingenius addition alone -- one of the best they could have made. The maps are decently balanced as far as I've seen. Completeness: Obviously, the developers could have spent more time on it, but the fans demand so much in so little time, that I think that they delivered what they could in relatively excellent quality.

If you look at this like a standalone game without prequels, then it's pretty darn good. Let's keep in mind that call of duty is a revolutionary concept, and this game truly added to the original while keeping a lot of it's aspects. Let's not be so harsh - go hate on other games that have real problems and not just (pardon the term) 'nooby' players.
  96. Nov 13, 2012
    Don't listen to the haters, this is definitely the best COD game. Treyarch has done an amazing job! Don't listen to the haters, give it a rent and try it out you'll love it!
  97. Mar 30, 2013
    In my opinion this is a great game. It is a huge improvement on Modern Warfare 3 and a great addition to the COD series.
    Campaign: Campaign this time around was actually pretty good. It had a decent story which I understood for the most part and a great variety of past and futuristic level design. I was disappointed with the strikeforce missions, which are incredibly difficult on Veteran,
    and quite easy on Normal and Hardened. Alongside occasionally frustrating challenges, a good few choices options throughout the campaign, and cool futuristic abilities, like the arm grenade and invisibility cloak.
    Multiplayer: They brought COD back. The multiplayer is a great asset to the game, and really stands out among the series. Even if it isn't as good as any COD before (and including) the original Black Ops. The pick 10 system is very smart and can be used in many different variations, making for a very enjoyable multiplayer.
    Zombies: Back again with a good dose of zombies. Same as usual, even though I was never really a fan of it, zombies is god fun with friends. Still not as good as the zombies on the original Black Ops though.
    Standard COD graphics, mixed with a good helping of new makes this memorable addition to the COD series. Well done Activision.
  98. Aug 16, 2013
    This Game would get a 5 but I do quite like the Zombies gamemode, lore, setting, replay value and great to play with friends, even with SplitScreen. There is some very serious issues with the Single Player mainly it just being there. If you are a making Multiplayer focused game focus on the Multiplayer player, just don't make a single player story. Single Player is not a requirement anymore in games. Multiplayer is the same same as all the other Call Of Duty games. Expand
  99. Feb 8, 2013
    Bo2 is pretty good but isn't as good as BO1 I find that some weapons are off balenced but its all good. Its a really fun game you should buy it
  100. Nov 18, 2012
    Must I even write a review? Call of Duty is the most absolute piece of bullocks I have ever seen in my years of gaming. Have fun wasting $50-$70 more on a new game that is pretty much the same as the one before. Viva la Cod

1. Jan 12, 2013
    One of the most complete, albeit shaky, packages the series has ever seen. [Issue#226, p.68]
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    While the campaign length is fairly standard of past iterations of the series, it's worth multiple playthroughs and the multiplayer offers endless hours of fun and enjoyment; whether it's slaying zombies or facing off against other players in a wide range of multiplayer modes with an endless number of loadout combinations.
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    Worth checking out for online and the sci-fi novelty value alone. [Jan 2013, p.95]