4.9

1. Oct 26, 2013
    i'm changing my score from 9 to 6. i used to like this game. but damn. i realise that this call of duty isn't that different from the last. it lacks innovation. let me say that again LACKS INNOVATION!
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Can't believe I fell for it again... I really thought treyarch would put out a new game with up to date graphics but apparently they're not interested. I think this is a game I would have loved 5 years ago, but not today, not with other fps games that are 10x more graphically advanced.
  3. Nov 17, 2012
    I give this game a flat ZERO because it does NOT work on PS3, actually the constant hard freezings may permanently damage your console.
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    Really was the only CoD game I liked. Black Ops 2 deserves recognition for trying a change. Campaign is badass and multiplayer I actually liked. The zombies is awe, just when I lost hope in CoD Treyarch restored it. I should change my name shouldn't I? Great game. Deserves a 9/10. David Mason is the MAN!
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    The only reason I am giving Black Ops II a 3 out of 10 is because I really enjoyed Campaign Mode AKA The Story. Everything else though seems to be a mess. The online multiplayer seems broken the extent that someone could tell me that it wasn't finished being developed and I would believe them. If you play online multiplayer be warned, you will not see things play out the same way your enemies do. The lag compensation system in this game will cause a slight delay for players with a fast internet connection to supposedly make things more even, IT DOES NOT. This system will allow an enemy that rounds a corner right in front of you to kill you before you can even pull the trigger. There are also times when you will empty most of your clip into the enemy only to have them turn around and put you down with one or two bullets. I've had matches where I have put 4 buckshot rounds into the enemy's face at point blank range only to get killed by their shotgun in 1 shot. If your internet connection is good don't be surprised if on kill confirmed you go 10K-30D+ because of this atrocious lag compensator that rewards players for having horrible internet connections. Most if not all of the people giving good reviews of this game have DSL or lower quality of internet connection guaranteed. I have been playing Call of Duty since World at War came out in 2008 and did well (2.0+ Kill death Ratio) at them until Modern Warfare 3 and this new creature that they have released. With this game I currently have a 0.88 KDR which I must say is horrible to say the least. I have decided that I will no longer buy any Activision/Blizzard/Treyarch/InfinityWard games as I have lost confidence in their ability to create a fair and unbiased product. Next November hit them where it really hurts. Their pocketbooks. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    While this game has a admittedly good story for it' s single player campaign I'm very hesitant to call the multiplayer of this game anything short of terrible. I absolutely felt let down with this title after having played several previous titles in the series and while there is a slight fun factor the problems weigh it down severally! Some of the most common issues are things like Lag compensation,head glitching, and weapon imbalance issues that for some reason Activision refuses to fix. Had these issues been resolved or at the very least lessened the game may have been more enjoyable for me but sadly they were not. If Activision is going to insist on releasing the same sort of game every year they should at least address some of the major problems that plague the series which as of now they still refuse to do. I would recommend doing as i did and rent this game if your unsure of it's quality or if you insist on buying it get it used at a later date. While the single player has a good story and may justify a purchase for some for me this game is far from being worth the full price of $60 Expand
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    With a complex story that unites interwoven stories between seasons and interconnected by a villain, Black Ops 2 could reach the expectations of quality and fun of a good FPS. On the first mission in Angola and simple player has the vision of what to expect in the future during the game, including a few parts more emphasis on stealth and shooting, especially at the end. But there are different phases, such as the Cayman Islands, which are not too tied to insane actions, while others who do this have the same quality or even better. In matters of gameplay, Black Ops 2 is perfect, easy to assimilate the issues of weapons, scenery, camera and said control everything. What Black Ops 2 loses, although some have the opinion that win is at the end when the game has a level at which exacerbates both the story and the missions of survival for such. The way back to COD3 is the Black Ops Zombie, which is addictive game against zombies and will surely be fixed part and parcel of the next games in the franchise. In all, the game wins the primary, but suffers in extreme ease in missions and lack of innovation. Expand
  8. Dec 23, 2012
    This is by far, the best Call Of Duty game since World at War, Black ops 1 was great, MW3 sucked dick but this one is amazing!, great story line and amazing multiplayer and amazing zombies
  9. Dec 30, 2012
    Black Ops 2 has definitely improved a lot from previous versions in the past 2 or 3 years. The main thing that caught my attention was the outstanding Campaign mode, they really made the gameplay stand out by allowing the player to ride horses, control robots, even fly, and those are only a few of the cool gameplay features they added. My favourite part of the campaign is that they made it so your choices actually matter, there are multiple endings which will all depend on certain choices you make within the game. Black Ops 2 did a great job of adding realistic characters and making the player feel sympathetic or relatable to them. The storyline is well structured and allows you to play as various characters, some of which were NPCs.

The multiplayer took everything which was great from the previous instalments and put it into one game. I'm enjoying it so far, the only criticisms I have is that they didn't really mix up the game modes much, they added a few new ones but I'd have liked to have seen some more diversity in the way you play multiplayer. They did a great job of custom classes though.
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    Let tthe haters hate, cause probably they are all noobs. I love this game, its addictive BUT quickscoping isnt as fun anymore. And host migrations damn it.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    Robots everywhere, and a sniper rifle with an x-ray scope that can shoot through walls. That really right there was enough to get me to enjoy this game. I feel the Black Ops spin off series has been the best thing to happen to COD in ahwile compared to the Modern Warfare series. All in all a great modern shooter.
  12. Dec 15, 2012
    Singleplayer was pretty good interesting ending choice but still good. The multiple endings leaved much to be desired but it still worked. While somehow I believe most players hated the mode where you change between individual units, I actually found it a refreshing change. The slight changes to multiplayer were good too. IMO there is no way this game could score less than a 6/10 but there are always going to be haters and as they say haters gonna hate. Voice acting and cinematics A+ as you would expect from this title. Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2012
    Campaign is solid. Zombies are as overrated as ever. But the multiplayer returns with an added zest. The graphics have been bumped up from Black ops 1 , which is lucky as they were a jerky mess before. The games fluidity now matches it's IW brother but has less game breaking killstreaks and weapons. The pick ten points system is a stroke of genius and the maps are much more ergonomic than Infinity wards ugly high walled prisons. I was an Infinity Ward fan right up until the release of mw3. I loved ( and still do ) COD 4 and MW2 , but the control has well and truly passed to Treyarch. Infinity Ward the ball is in your court. Try and match this! Expand
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    It irks me to see all the dumb asses giving this game a zero. And then you look at all of the reviews they have given, and they are always a zero. Why bother? What are you achieving? you just look like a ****
    Anyway.... being someone who has actually played the game (unlike the aforementioned toss bags), I have to say I find it highly entertaining. I knew what I was buying into because...
    shock horror, I read about the game before buying it. And.... shock horror again... I enjoy the COD style games. If you have brought a COD game in the past and disliked it, why would you buy another one? Are you just stupid?

It's not the most ground breaking game out there, but if you like the COD style of game play then this is your type of game. Hours of fun to be had in the multi player, the the pick 10 system is great to play around with.

Can't wait to unlock more of the equipment to play around with.

Get over it whiners and haters.
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. God Bless America. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Video game propaganda. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. DiShoot. Kill. Die. Respawn.e. Respawn. Zombies. Americans are all consuming zombies. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Terrible. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Shoot. Kill. Die. Respawn. Expand
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off the mark, this is still very much a Call Of Duty game through and through. With each year that passes each release of this annual franchise exceeds the overwhelming (and frightening) gross of its predecessor, does this mean it is we, the users who are to blame for the repetitiveness? No, not quite. This is a beautiful cash cow for the suits over at Activision, a safe haven for a guaranteed payday once November rolls around. But I think this time, like the first Black Ops instalment, Treyarch are attempting to maybe not rock, but gently cradle the boat in changing this franchise.
    I had an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the first Black Ops instalment, but the complete opposite to Infinity Ward/Sledgehammers year old Modern Warfare 3. Black Ops changed the narrative of the other entries into this franchise, not so much hell bent on killing everything in sight but actually creating a story, and a captivating one at that, one which has continued into Black Ops II. Decision making has made a welcome debut (correct me if needed) to this franchise.
    The campaign, albeit a medicare 8 hours, was thoroughly captivating from the beginning. We are re-introduced to the originals of Mason, Woods and Hudson and their search and capture of the the terrorist threat known as Menendez. this mostly happens through a very old Woods re-telling the story to David Mason, Alex Masons son, in the futuristic 2025. Without delving too far into the backbone of the story, there is a sense of despair on both sides of this campaign, Menendez is a truly troubled individual with a tragic past, an antagonist that can be very relatable unlike previous entries, this game, in my opinion doesnt rely on their groundbreaking cinematics for cheap thrills (the little girl in London, really?) but to show the emotion in these characters who we have now known for two instalments. The decisions to be made in this game truly are difficult as we, the players know that this will indeed have a tremendous impact on the remainder of our play through.
    These are by no means massive overhauls to this ageing franchise but they are indeed steps in the correct direction. The multiplayer has introduced several different elements to coax new players in, gone are the killstreak days which have been replaced with "scorestreaks". The maps are significantly better than those of MW3, they're not as crowded, and respawn, for now, has improved.
    With a game like this, i do find it hard to have a genuine hatred. These are yearly releases which now have an overwhelming emphasis on multiplayer. I make it a point to complete the campaign/story before even considering going near multiplayer, that cash I paid needs to go somewhere. Call of Duty: Black Ops II is my no means a diamond in the rough, a hidden gem blah blah blah, but to hate on a game which is trying to change (Treyarch at least) but still maintain the money spinner that is Call Of Duty, there needs to be a compromise. Are these gamers really going out and buying this with the notion thats its going to change all the rules? If so then i suggest you wait on a game that is three plus years in the making. Whatever the next title will be in 2013, one thing is for sure, it will make more than Black Ops II simply because it is new, and thats why we the gamers win the battle, by subtle changes to the game, but Activision win the war, because they are still going to make millions, no matter what entry they churn out or how many. This is why i gave this game an 8. Treyarch did things differently with the first Black Ops and they have continued to do so with this, its not a game-changer but it is an attempt to listen to the players and to compete with other developers in the same franchise, without a doubt one of the better Call Of Duty titles in a long time.
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised, most of all with the story. Written by David Goyer, one of the screenwriters of The Dark Knight Rises, it makes a nice change for the laughable cliche-ridden plots of the Modern Warfare games that feels ripped from a Michael Bay movie. With Black Ops II's campaign, the story takes us into the future where the US is heavily reliant on robotic technology to defend themselves. The villain inevitably takes control of the technology and turns it against them, and while this might not seem like a completely original story, the characters and exciting plot moments make up for it. Raul Menendez is a very cool, memorable villain and the soldiers have more personality. There are choices that change the course of the story which are pretty cool, making you more than just a triggerman saving the world. There are challenges now that add longevity to the short campaign. Multiplayer is almost identical to the other Call of Duty games, so don't expect to be enthralled by it if your not already a fan. Tranzit is basically an updated Zombies mode with more objectives than just surviving waves of zombies, making it more fun to play. All in all Call of Duty: Black Ops II is refreshing. Treyarch are trying new things here with what was becoming a very monotonous franchise and making it fun to play again. Despite this, the length of the campaign leaves more to be desired and the multiplayer is largely the same so Black Ops probably won't convert new fans, but it will change the way Call Of Duty games are made and has restored hope for this annualised franchise that was quite frankly outstaying its welcome in my book. Expand
  18. Jan 4, 2013
    There are a lot of things to like about this game, but the negatives outweigh the positives. Let's start with the positives: the score-streak setup they implement in this game is awesome. In addition to getting kills, you are rewarded for playing the objective and being a team player. I am also glad to see that the support strike package from MW3 and death-streaks are NOT in this game, so no more free stealth bombers and EMPs, and no more last/final stand, second chance, or dead man's hand. The way they have divided up the perks is superb as well, with no single perk being overpowered. Similar to the perks in this game, you will find that the guns are well-balanced also.

Unfortunately, even with these great features, the online multiplayer experience can be horrible at times. The lag compensation and hit detection in this game are worse than any of the three previous Call of Duty games (MW2, Black Ops 1, and MW3). It can be extremely frustrating to lose a gunfight to someone when, on your screen, you clearly should have come out on top. They have also taken away the ability to tie score-streaks to your custom classes, so if you find yourself struggling to win a gunfight due to lag or any other reason, you are stuck with the 3 score-streaks you chose and cannot switch to lower ones during a match. In addition to having horrible lag compensation and hit detection, the developers have implemented skill-based matchmaking, so even though the game has connection issues, players are not always placed in lobbies with the best ping. Often, players will be placed in games with worse connections in order to go up against players of similar skill level.

TL;DR: the connection issues in this game have absolutely ruined it. Though they have implemented some nice new features, the online multiplayer experience can be utterly frustrating.
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    I guess it's cool to hate Black Ops II. Because even though a zillion people bought it and LOVE it, there are still a ton of people who like to troll review sites and forums to talk about how awful it is. All of the troll posts look copy-and-paste jobs from the same silly handbook. "The lag is so bad!" "Too many campers!" "Terrible spawns!" Blah, blah, blah. My guess is that most of the complainers are n00bs who tried to play and went 3-20 then gave up. The rest are professional trolls who don't actually own the game but just love to troll. Whatever. Very good game, glad I bought it. Disregard these knuckleheads. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2012
    Black ops 2 looks Amazing being set in the Future. Single Player Campaign is Great, Strike Force Missions is Good, The Zombies mode is good as well. The main problem for this game is the Choices made throughout the Single Player Campaign, which will show some endings.
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    i love it i am not big call of duty fan i prefer skyrim zombies game etc But i won this game i said try it out this was best game ever i like Multiplayer & zombie maps

i love it if call of duty would turn around do whole call duty zombie i mean not just zombie maps i mean i mean like left 4 dead but better
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I understand all the bad reviews for this game. The multiplayer mode is what people buy this game for, or the Zombies mode. But I think most people don't really understand this game, and therefore think of it as a bad game. The new class setup for Black Ops 2 is a massive improvement from earlier games. Instead of just being leveling up for the sake of leveling up, it actually feels like it does have a point, and the point is obvious. When you level up, you both unlock more weapons and you get tokens you can use to be able to use these weapons. because there are only 55 levels, and you earn one token per level, you will not unlock everything in the game, which is a great thing. The main complaint that many people have with this game is the difficulty. The hit box for this game might seem a bit small compared to other games, but there is a reason for it. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 is the most complex and advanced tactical game out there right now. Because of the way that the class setup is made, the room for improvement is big, and you have endless of possibilities when it comes to customization. Every player has a role in Black Ops 2, and you'd be a fool not to realize yours. With a wide range of Score Streaks that are stackable with each other, tactics is very important here. Example: If your team is mainly consisting of people reaching for the objective, you can make their life easier by taking out enemies from a distance using Sniper Rifles, if you are one of the charging people, you can use smoke bombs and thermal sight to see through the smoke to capture flags more easily. You can also make good use of the perk system and wildcards to make the perfect assassin. Because of the point system and the wildcards, you can choose to discard all your weapons, put your points into wildcards and receive twice as many perks. With several perks for advanced movement, and a knife you become a deadly opponent. What I am trying to say is that, the multiplayer in itself is worth the $100 it costs for this game in Norway, and that the Single-player and the Zombies mode makes it even more so. The Zombies mode is good as usual, but not as good as Black Ops'. The Zombie maps are interestingly designed, but feels empty and sometimes quite boring. The single-player is good. It's not as boring as Black Ops, but not as good as Modern Warfare 2. Don't expect a good story, but the weapons are cool. The theme for Black Ops 2 is the future, and that is very apparent in the weapons. Some are very futuristic both in looks and in how they work (like the Kap-40) while others look like normal ones. The game is not quite like Halo in terms of the futuristic looks, but it is noticeable in both the maps and weapons. Overall this is a must buy game for all fans of shooters and Sci-fi, as it provides many many hours of fun. Expand
  23. Jan 27, 2013
    I don't see why people hate this game so much. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's certainly not a great game. The story and the general themes seem quite racist, with every non-white character (apart from Tony Todd) betraying the pure, hard working white characters seems racist, as the idea of killing white people will make Treyarch run for their safety blanket. But the story seems like it has some deeper meanings, as it has room for exploring the theme of unmanned military and how it greatly effects war, but most of the time it just wants you to lose yourself in shooty action xenophoby-fun. The bog-standard shooting remains intact and the level design has been changed up from 'run down this corridor, kill the under-privileged' to 'go down these optional, slightly non-linear paths and kill the under-privileged whilst also being able to optionally man turrets and drones'. The choices have been fleshed out pretty well too, even though they are made fully explicit. I like how you can choose to shoot Tony Todd in the head or shoot him in the leg, but if you wait long enough the black guy will just knock him out for you. That's pretty neat. I like how the choices effect your future game, and it a great new take on a series established as being a linear conveyor-belt of linear linearity. The strike force missions are definitely the best part about the game and are heavily replayable, I just wish there were more of them. But I cannot praise competence as if it's excellence, as there have been more meaningful shooters that have come out this year that are generally more risky. Black Ops 2 is by all means safe, it doesn't try to challenge the player mentally, but is above average which is surprising because all other COD campaigns have been bog-standard at best. Overall, it's a refreshing game, and if you're a fan of multi-player shooters or zombie games, this is a must play. It's pretty much 3 passable games in one, and for $60, what more could you ask for? Expand
  24. Nov 30, 2012
    This was a classic case of "damned if you do damned if you don't" for treyarch. the cod series has needed a change for a while now, but if you change it too much you anger your core fan base and lose money. Black Ops II does a good but not great job at finding the middle between these two. Though it is nice to be able to create your own class in the campaign often times if you are playing on a harder difficulty it adds an annoying additional challenge if you dont use the gun or sight that the game recommends. it is also very cool that there are a couple decisions that you make that can mildly change the outcome of the ending. other than these it's just your typical run n gun cod campaign. the multiplayer is the most dissapointing thing about this game in my opinion, mostly because activison/treyarch obviously ignored the backlash they got from lag compensation in MW3 as it had made a return and its very frustrating. as far as gameplay i feel they made the game far to friendly to people who use SMG's/ shotguns (even though it benefits my play style) because of how the maps are designed. there seems to be many ways to get into every window/building and this hurts objective based game players because there is NO way to really controll the map/spawns. that's not to say there aren't good things about multiplayer. the new points system for create a class allows for players to play much better to their playstyle. but mainly the spawns and lag need to be fixed before i can say the multiplayer is good. now the two reasons this game gets a 7/10 from me is 1. because im trying to balance the score more from the butthurt battlefield fanboys that come on here and give the game a 0/10 without even playing it, and the morons who give the game a 0/10 because "it's the same thing every year!" even though you have the option to look at gameplay before you buy the game (shocking right?), or you could use your brain and realize that the game is a SERIES and its not going to have a groundbreaking change when each one has to be developed in less than 2 years time.

And 2. the zombies mode is absoloutly amazing. if you are a fan of zombies this game is worth the $60. if you aren't a fan of zombies and are buying the game only for the multiplayer my opinion is to stay away. at least untill the lag/spawns get fixed (but don't hold your breath on that).
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    I've only played a little bit of this game, but it's fantastic. Multiplayer is fun, as is zombies. I'm not into games like this for the campaign, so if there's any criticisms there, I can't really comment, but both zombies and multiplayer make this game worth it.
  26. Nov 24, 2012
    Looks like I'm going to have to jump in here and help out this score as much as I can. Before I start, let me say that I've only played the game a little with my friend, so I couldn't get that much of a feel for it. But I am going to base it off of what I've seen so far, which is the full campaign and several hours of multiplayer. First of all, let's stop comparing this to MW3. The two are not truly comparable. Second, let's look at what makes a game good: Depth, replayability, completeness... The story line was excellent, as it gives you a chance to make your own choices, which is new to a CoD campaign. It avoids the complexity of an RPG, which is what the cod series has done on purpose to focus more on multiplayer. The zombies is more complicated than ever, which adds a challenge, but I think another kino map is needed with less complexity just to balance it out (for those who liked to run in circles until round 100). Next, replayability: the game has infinite replayability on multiplayer: even if the playerbase ends in 10 or so years, a person can still play against AI in combat mode. Ok. Let's look at the multiplayer. Gamers need to keep an open mind: I like to explain the gameplay like a cross between BO1 and Homefront. The lower but still good scorestreaks are decently easy to get, so everyone can feel good when they play, and the better players can go for the higher scorestreaks while forced to play the objective to do so, since more points are given for doing that than just being a mercenary. The pick 10 create-a-class is an ingenius addition alone -- one of the best they could have made. The maps are decently balanced as far as I've seen. Completeness: Obviously, the developers could have spent more time on it, but the fans demand so much in so little time, that I think that they delivered what they could in relatively excellent quality.

If you look at this like a standalone game without prequels, then it's pretty darn good. Let's keep in mind that call of duty is a revolutionary concept, and this game truly added to the original while keeping a lot of it's aspects. Let's not be so harsh - go hate on other games that have real problems and not just (pardon the term) 'nooby' players.
  27. Feb 8, 2013
    Bo2 is pretty good but isn't as good as BO1 I find that some weapons are off balenced but its all good. Its a really fun game you should buy it
  28. Nov 14, 2012
    Firstly, the cartoon graphics lend the game to more a video game than authenticity which isn't a bad thing as it is just a game. In my opinion doesnt have the sophistication of Medal of honor or the true leader of FPS action Battlefield BUT it is addictive and fun just not as classy as its predecessor Bops1. Its ok as COD version ??? but as a leader not anymore.
  29. Nov 17, 2012
    Only problem is that the graphics are bad in the PS3 version, no anti-aliasing, little blurry. But the game is cool, best COD. I like the new weapons and the new style.
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    Multiplayer is amusing at best. It has brought some new perk selection that offers at least the flexibility to do what you like (to an extent).

Not played zombies or singlplayer. The engine feels very very dated. MW3 is ok but this is just Meh...

Avoid

1. Jan 12, 2013
    One of the most complete, albeit shaky, packages the series has ever seen. [Issue#226, p.68]
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    While the campaign length is fairly standard of past iterations of the series, it's worth multiple playthroughs and the multiplayer offers endless hours of fun and enjoyment; whether it's slaying zombies or facing off against other players in a wide range of multiplayer modes with an endless number of loadout combinations.
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    Worth checking out for online and the sci-fi novelty value alone. [Jan 2013, p.95]