6.1

1. Dec 6, 2010
    Black Ops is cool. It's cool to own it. It's a COD game. It's good. Nuff said. Treyarch did well his time. It has awesome theater mode, better online multiplayer, better everything.
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome game! I don't understand all the haters? The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brilliant and the customization options are incredible. I'm not even talking about the Zombie mode which is super. Wonderful game if you're a COD or shooter fan.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    An amazing upgrade to the last game taking the best parts from w@w and mw2 and creating a well balanced online experience. A variety of new maps and de buffing to remove the unfair advantages that plagued the previous games. Obviously treyarch have spent time listening to the community with the addition of split screen as well as the well thought out currency system.
  4. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops has worse music than Modern Warfare 2 (and even worse than World at War), but it's compensed with the best campaign mode in the series, tons of extras (Zombies Mode, Dead Ops Arcade, descriptions of the characters/missions in intel...) and the best multiplayer mode in the series too.
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is an amazing shooter! The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD entries and is nice and all but we all know that the primary sell point for COD is the great multiplayer experience! The game is exceptionally well made, graphics, story, etc.
  6. Nov 9, 2010
    I realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has been excellent. I have only played multiplayer thus far as that is primarily the reason I play FPSs and, I can say unequivocally, Black Ops is light years ahead of Modern Warfare 2. The first Modern Warfare is a close second for favorite game of this generation and, as such, I had held high hopes for MW2 but it disappointed me on every front. Needless to say, Black Ops gets COD back on track for me. So far, I have experienced none of the rage-inducing bugs and glitches of MW2 and the MP maps are excellent. I am fine with Black Ops system of adding perks. It is not perfect but is infinitely superior to MW2's perk system, which was another major source of aggravation related to that game. I whole-heartedly recommend Black Ops to COD veterans but that's preaching to the choir. I highly recommend the game for any FPS or MP fan as well. Expand
  7. Nov 17, 2010
    best game ever for online it is nonstop fun i dont think u can not have fun in this game it is amazing all the new stuff they added makes u trying to get em plus the perks are more balanced now and it is just very good and the chopper gunner looks way way more better because u can see the map its beautiful
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    I thought the game was great. Its by far better than MW2. The campaign is great, Nazi Zombies is back and better than ever, and the Multiplayer is balanced.
  9. Nov 10, 2010
    I understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paint being slapped on every November. As long as it feels and plays like a Call of Duty game should, I'm happy to stand in a cold-ass Gamestop line at 1 in the morning to fork over my 60 bucks. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Story: 10/10 It has the best story of all the COD Games, it is easy to understand and very straightforward.
    Graphics: 9.5/10 While it does have some Glitches and such, it improved on the Graphics of MW2 and it is a beautiful game to look at!
    Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is
    starting to get old.
    Multiplayer: 10/10 In my opinion COD has the best multiplayer for a FPS, and it has even improved with introducing a fun little feature Cod points.

Verdict: COD Black Ops redifines every little fun old COD mechanics and improves on it. But if you already have the past 6 COD's you wouldn't be impressed by this next installment.
  11. Nov 11, 2010
    I've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player is something different but a welcomed change. In essence, it does feel like a COD game...with a new map pack but the way they go about trying to make fresh changes, it has stepped above the rest and ventured out on it's own. Don't listen to the haters. If there is one thing in my life to be revered about, it's my honesty. I promise that if you give B.O some time, you WILL love it. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2010
    This is best Call of Duty to date due to it's shift to the more hardcore player, as Modern Warfare 2 allowed even the beginner to breeze through the game without any trouble. This is not the case in Black Ops, one must actually possess "skill" in order to be successful.
  13. Nov 9, 2010
    OUTSTANDING in every way! Fascinating single player campaign story and multiplayer rocks. Wager Match is the BEST! I absolutely love this game! It's the BEST CALL OF DUTY EVER!
  14. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2010
    I love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game to play with friends or by yourself. The campaign is pretty short but everyone buys this for the online experience, and while you may love or hate the addition of cod points the new wager matches are the best and most fun way to get them. The big amount of customization is one of my favorite parts of the online, and you can really spend a lot of time perfecting your custom emblem. Maybe the most overdue feature of all is split screen online. Theres been countless times when you have a friend over or something and you want to play with them and still level up. Now you can. I could go on about the new modes and features forever but all you really need to know is that Treyarch has done a fantastic job and is every bit as capable of making a quality game as infinity ward and you should not miss this game. Expand
  16. Nov 10, 2010
    I wish people would stop rating this game so low. Yes it's similar to MW2 but it's the same franchise!
    This is the best FPS multiplayer game available on any system at the current time. The vast majority of the MP annoyances from MW2 have been resolved. Well worth picking up.
  17. Nov 11, 2010
    This is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find a mention of poor graphics, or a comparison to MW2, the campaign, or the frame rate, or some other lame excuse as to why you are most undoubtably getting handled in this game. I'm writing this in hopes the reader reads this after they read everything else: below you will find a matter-of-fact review of this brilliant game.

In short, no one buys a game for the campaign anymore so stop filling your reviews with critiques on it; post it on Facebook or something because no one cares. The only time anyone decent at these games play the campign is when they need to unlock something, or their Internet is down and they need their fix. Stop comparing it to the superhuman, camper/tube paradise that is MW2: that game is crap and everyone who still regards it as good should go pitch a tent in Summit and stop badmouthing a good game because you suck. Same goes for you quickscopers since I'm sure contributing to the bad reviews...don't worry I'm sure you'll find some way to exploit this game as well in order to make up for your lack of skilll. So let's be honest, the game is great. The game is also harder then MW2. There are hints of both MW2 and WaW, but the game is closer to CoD4...which is a good thing. Yes there is room for improvement, but overall, the stats, the customizations, the difficulty, and the gameplay in general, make this game a must gor any FPS gamer...don't recommend if you are a newb toobing camper.
  18. Nov 11, 2010
    Best CoD yet! Great customisation. Great maps. Sound is superb (I was sat by rotting food in multiplayer map and could hear the flies behind me - surround sound).

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.
  19. Nov 11, 2010
    Why is this game getting low scores? Could it be that it is everything that MW2 isn't? Black ops is an incredibly well balanced multiplayer that puts everybody on a level playing field. You upgade your custom classes by purchasing your equipment with points earned in game, which is really addictive. The killstreaks are not too overpowered and do not count towards other killstreaks; which is the main reason that this game is very fair and balanced. The 14 maps are well designed because the do not cater to campers or snipers. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2010
    This may be the best game I've ever played. reading all the negative comments, it seems most people have just given up after only playing for an hour or two. It may feel too hard for someone who has only played modern warfare two before this but once you get the hang of it, it is really very fun. The weapon balance is pretty good, the increased viewkick when you get shot means that 9 times out of 10 the person who gets the first shot will win the firefight, even more so than other call of duty games. Multiplayer will most likely be the thing that keeps you coming back all year. but on top of that you have an insane story mode, longer than other cod games, and just as fun. It includes many cool effects and set pieces. The third mode, zombies is an upgraded version of nazi zombies from WaW, the maps are much bigger and there is more to buy. Some other notable features are bots for spilt screen and practicing, with 4 difficulty settings. Many, many customisation options for multiplayer and theatre mode. Expand
  21. Nov 14, 2010
    The worst of this game is supersedes even the best of MW2 in every aspect. It took what MW2 should've been and made it twice as good. I can honestly say this is the first COD that I've played and have actually had "fun". Pick this up guys, it's amazing.
  22. Nov 13, 2010
    What is going all with all haters? The game is AWESOME!!! Multiplayer is the best! 10/10! And no more cheating streaks and perks like in mw2. Best Game of 2010. And zombies are cool, especially when u playing with your friends!
  23. Nov 13, 2010
    Just what you'd expect out of CoD. It's not different at all but it's still just as fun as every other CoD out there. If your complaining that the game sucks then why would you buy it when you knew that CoD is the almost the same each and every year. BUT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!1
  24. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs are a one hit one kill, and that evens it out. CAMPAIGN: The story mode in black ops is brillant it is very well planned out, And I can say if you loved the series "24" you will absolutely love this game! It takes a complete different and I think much better way then any call of duty game EVER. Now the main character is sam Worthington from *shiver in disgust* avatar ,but other then his girlish screaming and disability to keep a steady American accent if comes though.

ZOMBIE MODE: There is nothing more i can say about zombie but if you loved the hell out of the original zombie you will love this one ven more!

Overall: this game is well worth the money It perfect other then a little beat of graphic issues ( same ones MW2 had) But therefore it is a close to perfect game. I am rating it a ten because 9 is way too harsh my official score is )( 9.8 ()
  25. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. Call of duty black ops is a good game if you like thriller and intense gaming this game lacks a lot of potential and also it is very life like if you like games which show really good and a lot of graphics show then this is the game This game is an amazing shooter The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD and is nice and all the main point of this game is the great multiplayer. The best thing about call of duty black ops is the weapon ranges and the character building also there is a lot different matches such as a wage match which lets you play the game in multiplayer mode but the downside to this kind of match is if someone knifes you in the back the all your money that you have earned goes to that player in this type of game it learns you to be quick on your feet with the player also be very stealth and you also have to watch your back as you could get stabbed this game gives a lot of qualities out to other people. This game is rated 9/10 because of everything it has this game can be quite addicting after you have played it once there is another type of match and that is death match this is when you and another team has to shoot each other you can either be red or blue more people you kill more points you get but if you kill 1 after 1 then it is called a strike and you can get prizes such as a helicopter or some type. Collapse
  26. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system piping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  27. Nov 12, 2010
    Call of duty black will have your heart pumping like it never pumped before The single player is fantastic. Awesome game! This is an amazing upgrade from call of duty mw2 and call of duty back. Everything in the game is just so balanced. To me this is the best call of duty ever.
  28. Nov 13, 2010
    Get this game. It is a blast! You people expect too much. Go back and replay front line and see how far things have come. If you like the other COD games you will be good to go. Enjoy!
  29. ice
    Jan 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it just your normal first person shooter or something special? Call of duty black ops released November 9th by developer Treyarch the developers behind Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty 3. Black ops has one of the best story's ever in a Call of Duty game, because after the blunder of the multiplayer based game Modern Warfare 2's almost insulting campaign, I think Call of Duty fans got what they deserved. You play as Alex Mason and you are interrogated so your interrogators can find out the numbers in your head to SAVE THE WORLD! Cliche? Maybe, but it sure is fun. The campaign should last you about 6 hours so it is not the longest game in the world. But the meat of the game comes from the multiplayer. Surprisingly it is a lot more balanced then modern warfare 2's multiplayer. The killstreaks are fun and nice and balanced. One big thing I noticed with the kill streaks is if you have a player on your team having a aircraft in the sky which means you cannot call in your killstreak till that aircraft is out of the sky. Leveling up is easy as well, maybe to easy. Not like battlefield bad company 2 where I just got the game and I am still a level 1 and I have had the game for a week! The new cod points system is a big change to unlocking to unlocking then buying. All killstreaks are unlocked at level 10 and either you love the new system or hate the new system. The only problem I have with the multiplayer is being kicked out of a match or the host left all that stuff that you thought was bad in Modern Warfare 2...is back and worse it is a minor problem but with some people it can be troublesome. The new wager mode is added to this multiplayer and wow it is extremely fun and may be addicting that is how fun this is. Because I played gun game for a straight 3 hours it is that fun, and sometimes and I did not even care how much cod points I had left. 1 in the chamber is one of those games that your having fun when you are winning but when you are losing and you lost all 3 of your lives its not fun after that but if you are a real skilled cod player this may be the mode for you because it is as fun and addicting as the gun game. That is just to name a few modes in the wager mode, moving on we have theater mode where you can grab all the matches that you played watch it on theater mode and then save it so your friends can watch your sexy no scope. Combat training is for new cod fans where you get all the regular modes from the regular multiplayer but against ai team mates and they could be just as deadly as their online counterparts. The guns are a lot more balanced then mw2 even though the ak7u could be over powered and then you have the emblem editor which shows off your personal creativity which I like. That is just to scrape the surface of such a fantastic multiplayer experience. Now onto the extra content you can press both triggers on your controller and you walk to the computer and put a pass code and you are treated to a top down arcade shoot "dead ops arcade" but if you type in "zorks" you can play a fun game with the computer. Now to NAZI ZOMBIES! It is your old favorite characters from waw are back and they do not disappoint. Easily one of the best mini games on a video game to date. You get 2 zombie maps in the game "Kino der Toten/Cinema of the dead" and "five." Five is unlocked after beating the campaign and before you play five after the campaign you see a pretty funny cut scene between some historical figures. That is just to scrape the surface of black ops and it does not disappoint easily one of the best shooters of the year and surpasses the 60$ asking price with all stuff that is included in the game. If you are strictly a modern warfare 2 fan I would not say go out and buy the game since there are many changes to the games multiplayer but if you are a big cod fan yes go out and buy this game if you don't have it already. Yes this game has it's problems but do not let that stop you from buying such a great game Gameplay-9.0 Graphics-8.5 Sound-9.5 Presentation-9.5 Lasting Appeal-9.0 Expand
  30. Nov 17, 2011
    awseome game, they really out did themselves.took cod to a whole new level in my opinion. great job ..everything frome the campaign to the zombies , to the multiplayer. each one is a own unique level of fun.what will yall do next?
  31. Dec 2, 2010
    Well what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on every class just to kill someone. There are however a few let downs. the lag on the PS3 version is unbareable at some points, and the zombie maps do feel a little cramped. there are some annoyances, but i do feel that those i havnt included could be to personal opinion. Overall an amazing game. P.S. i love how responcive Treyarch are to our complaints, and how they work so hard to keep us happy...unlike Infinity Ward. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2010
    It's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and I think it's the highlight of the series and by far the best game. Then came COD WAW which was alright but nothing memorable and after that came COD MW 2. Now that was a good game, not as impressive as COD MW but still a good game that improved on its predecessor in most aspects, a worthy sequel. I was expecting at least this much from Black Ops, to be a worthy sequel. I didn't care about what studio (treyarch, infinity ward) made what, I was just expecting a good COD game but unfortunately BO is not a good COD game. It is just another alright FPS like COD WAW but that's all it is, nothing more. In fact this game is a class down from COD MW 2. The visuals are worse. Some textures look really bad and there is an overall luck of detail. The environments although varied are unimpressive. The same old factories, abandoned facilities, wrecked buildings and some outside environments that we'seen before again and again. Honestly people who say that the graphics are better than MW2 even MW need their eyes checked.
    The story that's supposedly interesting is nothing more than the flashbacks of a CIA operative's memories. People question you about topic A and you are taken to a battle. Then there is topic B and another battle. The battles don't have a start or a finish. You are thrown into a chaos of bullets and fight your way out. You feel very rushed and can't enjoy it. It seems as if they sew together random firefights and big set pieces just for the sake of impression. The sounds are bad. The weapons don't sound powerful enough and don't feel powerful either. The explosions are generic. The smoke is last gen. In fact this game seems like a last gen game with a next gen makeup.
    The good thing about this game is the multiplayer which basically steels most ideas from MW2 and adds a few things on top. It is enjoyable and much easier than MW2 but on the bad side there are lots of disconnections. Overall I'd say rent first.
  33. Nov 26, 2010
    hello people this my first review so here i go when i played this game the game was hard because your a frist timer playing this game then when you play the game for a long time you get used to and then there the real action the game is amazing and the quality of the game is brillant it like your in the game real life and it is a wonderful fellin so thank you for listing and bye
  34. Dec 3, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is an action packed game which is extremely interesting to play. It is also a very addictive game which proves how good the game is also the graphics on the game is fantastic. The sound quality is just so real but the disappointment iof the game is that there is not much difference from call of duty modern warfare either than that it is a very impressive game to play.
  35. Dec 15, 2010
    What is really odd is that this game has easily the most split community i have ever seen. Before its release, the majority was saying that this game could make MW2 look like a beta. Closer to release, people started saying that they have had enough of COD and were going avoid this one. Now that its here, people cant decide if they like it or not. You either think MW2 was better (which that dosnt make sense, because no matter where u looking someone was bashing MW2 for being "too glitched" or "has too many fanboys". or you love this game. It the context of things, this game really will make hardcore fans cringe or jump for joy. What should be said is that this game looks fantastic. Comparison to MW2, this game tried to hold back on the polished visuals for the realistic sense, but still looks amazing. Its useless to go on about gameplay, you either love it or hate it, simple as that. Story in my opinion is better because you focus on one person, not multiple sides. This makes the story flow and you feel more for the characters then jumping back and forth from one person to the next. Mulitplayer is the big selling point, but also is why most people are split. For the first time, a COD game incorporated some RPG element into the game, letting you customize everything but the shape of your body. There is now a money system, where you gain 'money' after a match and completing challenges. These may be to much for the hardcore shooter fans who only want to kill and not worry about how much that new gun is going to cost. I grew up with RPGs, while i dont play them anymore i do appreciate the customization and freedom you have, you really do feel like its your person now. The maps are very well done, though some are more popular then others. One thing i noticed is just how many ideas are taken from another big shooter franchise, Halo. The ability to 'vote' on the map you play next and heavy customization are almost identical to the system Halo: Reach uses. This is not a bad thing, this system is really good, but it feels like some elements were pretty much stolen. The last part to this game is Zombies, made popular to WaW. Only this time you can play online with up to 4 people. This is my favorite part of the pack, very addictive and fun. This game feeling like your are being given three games in one, and you have a 1 out of 3 chance of finding something you like. Is this game perfect for everyone? No, as you can see by the mulitiple 'negative' and 'mixed' reviews, not everyone feels the same about this game. You might want to rent this game first, then if you like it buy it because it will give you hours upon hours of entertainment, then if you dont then no worries, just return it. Expand
  36. Nov 16, 2010
    I enjoyed the single player side to Black Ops waaay more than MW2,I thought there were more memorable moments ,and It has a better storyline,the multiplayer is an improvment as well,not that MW2 had bad multiplayer,but I like the level of customization you can do,and once you have played a wager match its hard to go back to the old types of matches like your free for all,s and team deathmatch.I think every FPS with a multiplayer componet comming out from now on is gonna have some sort of wager match type option because its just that much better than anything you,ve played online before,zombie mode is awsome as usal,I do miss the Co-op missions from MW2 I feel they could of added that to make this a flawless game,but CO-Op split screen multiplayer with a bunch of bots is still a lot of fun,although the bots sumtimes pull of head shots that Neo would laugh off as impossible;) Pick this game up. Expand
  37. Nov 21, 2010
    A GIANT step backwards!! Unfortunately I bought into all the hype for this game. Instead of a step forward from MW2, this next installment from Treyarch is a major disappointment. The multiplayer mode is seriously flawed in gameplay as well as graphics.
  38. Nov 27, 2010
    don't listen to the haters that wrote negative comments about this game. it's fantastic. it's nothing like modern warfare and isn't as exciting but it's well worth the money. esspecially the online portion alone. hell even the campaign is just as exciting. although it isn't the thrill ride no one expected it is still one hell of a ride
  39. Dec 31, 2010
    Although it was so anticipating and expected, it wasn't as perfect as I had wanted. If I think about it, the splitscreen and single player campaign was much better than the online gameplay. Personally, I never liked Call of Duty that much, but when MW2 had came out, I actually took a good interest, but I never showed that much liking to it. Still, Black Ops was amazing, and no major issues to it, but I'm expecting both Infinity Ward and Treyarch to do better on their next games. Expand
  40. ERB
    Feb 1, 2014
    Call Of Duty Black Ops is no doubt one of the best Call Of Duty Games ever made.I should admit the single player campaign has a good story but it lacks time.I mean the single player campaign is so short that it really disappointed me.Well the graphics and environments in this game looks cool and beautiful.The multiplayer once again showed us why Call Of Duty is one of the best multiplayer games of all time.It is addicting and fun.That is why I recommend you guys to buy this game and play it now. Expand
  41. Nov 28, 2010
    I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic. Currency and customization are deep and well-done. The new emblem designing is neat (although fewer phalluses and nazi symbols would be great). And zombies and Dead Ops are two game modes I haven't even PLAYED yet. There's quite a bit of content here. I love hte stat counters that appear at the bottom of the mulitplayer menu. Oh, and split screen is nice, even without dual log-in. (patch this in, please?) In short, this game is awesome. It really is. Maybe it's a disappointment to long-time fans, but judging THIS GAME for how good THIS GAME is, it gets a ten. Putting my internet self at risk, I call fanboyism or shenanigans on the low scores. Expand
  42. Nov 29, 2010
    Black ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and for keeping multiplayer crisp. Plus, zombies! Everybody loves zombies. Expand
  43. Nov 19, 2010
    no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!! *edit* - after 11 days out...3arch/activision listened, most of the problems with this game have been fixed :) Expand
  44. Dec 10, 2010
    i think call of duty, is an outstanding game, the graphics on it is just unbelivable, you will be shocked at how they make the graphics on this game because it seems impossible, they've spent so much time on this game, and it has payed off extremely good, the gameplay on it is amazing, everything about COD is just good, i think trechyard has showed the ability to make games in the past 2 COD's they have done, if everyone is moaning about COD i suggest u all should fix up, why dont you try making this game and see how hard it is? COD black ops is so much different to all the other COD's , for me COD 4 is still the best COD, but they have made a big improvment on this one, Trechyard should be proud of thereselves, The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brillliant and the customization options are incredibble, if ur looking for shooter games, i suggest you buy this!, you will be hooked on it all the time, once you play it, its like one of them games where you just carry on playing it until you get what you need, the achievments on here are fantastic, and i think the guns have made progress aswell from the last CODS, if u want a really good game to play i recommend this to all of you. Expand
  45. Nov 17, 2010
    i was greatfully dissapointed over this, the start doesnt give any clear explantions as to what is actually happneing you just thrown straight into a gun fight. the story line is bland and doesnt devier well like modern warfare 2. there is no point in playing again eaither as you get no replay vaule it that dull. and with only one online game its slightly pointless one at that.
  46. Nov 15, 2010
    I'd like to start this review off by simply stating forget just about everything you knew about call of duty modern warfare 2 because black opps is here and it's awesome. From what I've read most of the negative reviews on this site are coming from angry fans who can no longer newb tube the whole game or quick scope from across the map and to the exclusion of that in this new title I believe we can all lift our hands to our chests and say amen. Black opps is a refreshing new title that is sure to have a say in the game of the year title right next to halo:reach. Like any game it has it flaws like small technical difficulties some multiplayer mess-ups such as.... Who am I kidding the multiplayer is almost seamless the grenade indicator is much more helpful then in the last game as well as the overall balance in the title. In MW2 it seemed like every gun was incredibly overpowered players even had the ability to dodge bullets with the tactical knife and the right perks. Speaking of which bye bye commando and (exhale breath) rejoice my brothernno more magical teleporting from 30 feet away. Now in all honestly what this game does is deliver a creative multiplayer experience with a masterful campaign filled with a storyline sure to keep you trigger finger happy and an ending that will keep your mind racing. Then just when you think that's too much hello Nazi zombies one of the most famous mini games is back and it's better then ever. Never before have I gotten to see Richard Nixon pump 6 rounds of shotgun shells into a zombie corpse or John f Kennedy blow holes through a hell hound. All in all it's an amazing game with very few flaws lots of great extras and a great campaign. This game in my opinion gets an 9 out of 10. Expand
  47. Nov 18, 2010
    Black Ops what everyone at fist thought WoW then the developer comes up TREYARCH the bubble is popped.. But did they proove everyone wrong being calling in this care package,yeah well its quite similar to MW1 but it is still an adrenaline rush from the campaign or to the hardcore kick ass multiplayer.. The game is a full package and should of deserved more recognition instead people just check the Developer,this is wrong!! If you are looking for a true sequal (similar to MW1) well then here is where the bus stops for you as it stopped for me "this is the true COD experience"!!! 10/10.. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2010
    Are you all playing the same game I am? This is without doubt the best ps3 game ever created. It's almost like buying 2 games in one with the new zombie mode. It's just an incredible game that everyone should buy and try it out for themselves.
  49. Nov 21, 2010
    Overall it is a great game with lots of extras with a good campaign and multiplayer. The campaign is one of the best in the series as well as the zombies and dead ops. But multiplayer is what one pushes it to be possibly the best call of duty yet. Despite the graphics which are down a step from mw2 the multiplayer comes through with all its new features. Split-screen online, Cod points (an in-game currency used to buy a number of things), split screen with AI bots, wager matches, and possibly the best part is a more balanced weapons system. They also bring lots of great maps, weapons, perks, and killstreaks to make it, in my opinion the best call of duty yet. Expand
  50. Nov 25, 2010
    Great addition to a FPS collection. The online is a little glitchy, but those issues will be fixed in time hopefully. All in all it is still fun and manages to warrant an upgrade from MW2.
    Story mode is very interesting and manages to keep you entertained, even though it seems quite guided.
    The addition of zombies and minor tweaks to everything make this a very balanced game. Graphics seem
    like they could have been a bit better. Anyone griping about this game is just nitpicking, Having a minimum of 250k online at anytime speaks for itself, don't listen to crybabies who take to the net to complain. Expand
  51. Nov 30, 2010
    Great game, superb story, good customization options, new modes gun games etc, no more killstreaks gone mad which improves the multi-player (some connection issues, though not come across an online game that hasn't needed tweaked at some point) lastly theatre mode is great for showing off some kills. The amount of people that can play this for maybe an hour or the 1st few days, then come on giving scores of 0 is laughable (all probably on 3rd prestige now), Treyarch haters give it a rest please. I was a little unsure at 1st and yes the graphics are not as sharp as mw2, but this game offers so much more you won't notice after a few plays. If you're a COD fan you'll enjoy this game Expand
  52. Dec 13, 2010
    Excellent sequel to MW2. Treyarch listened to fans who dodn't like MW2 and fixed almost all the problems. Beautiful graphics and a worthy game for all first-person shooter video game fans.
  53. Jan 6, 2011
    I wasn't a fan at first and the connection/lag issues were annoying, but this is a great game. It doesn't quite have the feel of MW2, which I loved, but it's better in most ways. They removed some of the annoying features from MW2 and added far greater depth.
  54. Jan 15, 2011
    Game is pretty fun. The story is pretty engaging big over the top action scenes. The multiplayer is really fun and has a lot of stuff that you can unlock or not if you don't want to spend your COD points on it. the last kill cam and theater mode was pretty neat features. the Killstreaks and weapon attachments are as good as ever and they added the Galil which is a great gun. Split screen Multiplayer is a plus too. The zombie mode is pretty fun if you have 4 players because it can get difficult. If you're a fan of FPS or the Call of Duty Series I recommend getting this game because its more of the same Call of Duty shootin Fun Expand
  55. Jan 19, 2011
    If you strictly play multiplayer FPS's to run, gun and trashtalk, then this is the game is for you. Little or no tactics are required and, in fact, they tend to get in the way. Even during the Team Tactical mode, most players will leave the bomb behind and instead try to wipe out the opposing team. The best approach I've found is to start running when the clock starts, and start shooting whenever you turn a corner or enter a door. This is also a great game if you have a high tolerance for server lag, abruptly closed game sessions, and looooooong waits while you're migrated to a new host in the middle of a hotstreak. I'm just coming off 30 minutes of multiplayer during which I clocked in seven minutes of actual play. The other 23 minutes were spent waiting for players to join so a game could start and then, invariably after I'd reach the center of the map, the little Connection Lost animation would start and the lobby would close. Then it'd be five more minutes of waiting for players to join, the game to start... I wish I could say this was out of the ordinary for Treyarch.

Also, if your PS3 is connected via a non-bridged modem-router arrangement, you can forget ever connecting online with your friends to play BO. And if you don't know what this means, then you're rolling the dice.

Bottom line: When multiplayer works at all, COD:BO feels more like a lottery you win, rather than a game that you play. If you want something a little more stimulating and challenging than having your knew tapped with a mallet, I recommend you go out and buy a nice inexpensive used version of Killzone 2.
  56. Jan 22, 2011
    To be honest, this is the best game I have ever played and I did play MW2! Call of Duty Black Ops has a much better and more interesting story than Mw2. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but one thing for sure is the story is EPIC!!! Another thing is the graphics, now the graphics may not be as good as Mw2's but they are by my standards pretty awesome. Now online. I can't really comment on Mw2's online play, but Black Ops online multiplayer is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!! Even if your like me and die more than you kill, you should still be found having an awesome time. Another perk is Zombies which may be one of the smartest things to do since it was so successful in World at War. It is cool to play by yourself, with a friend, or online. This is THE best game I have ever played and according to intel, mail, and notes from the game (won't play spoiler to you), you can be expecting a Call of Duty Black Ops 2 announcment pretty soon!!! Expand
  57. Jul 25, 2012
    A definite improvement of World At War. Black Ops took the one aspect of its predecessor that we loved, the Zombie mode, and built on it, making it perhaps even more worth buying the game than the multiplayer. Speaking of which, the multiplayer has definitely improved, now matching its counterpart Modern Warfare, and finally, unlike many fps games nowadays, it does have an well crafted plot, with an interesting albeit predictable twist. An overall fun game that fights the general stereotype that franchises are often ruined by sequels. Expand
  58. Jan 12, 2012
    Call of Duty: Black Ops was a terrific game. It is a sequel to the 2008 game World at War and has much of the same character. Black Ops is based during the Cold War, and has many weapons to match the time period. It consists of three game play modes: Campaign, Multiplayer and Zombies. Campaign was comprised of a rich, well thought out plot, centering around Alex Mason. It has many good levels, and the graphics are excellent. The Multiplayer is very different from Call of Duty's previous game, Modern Warfare 2. Instead of leveling up and unlocking guns, you must buy them with the new COD Points. They also have many new weapons and attachments, like the crossbow. Zombies is great and is very enjoyable and it just never gets old. However, there were two downsides. One was that the AI is incredibly stupid. I mean seriously, you can't get much dumber. The other one I had was with a glitch in Combat Training, a new addition to the Call of Duty Multiplayer which allows you to practice the maps with the AI which you can play with a friend. When you start, it puts you (and your friend) on a different team. When I try and switch to the same team as my friend, it switches from the usual six players on a team to eight, meaning that the other team had seven originally. All in all, this game was very good and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys shooter games or the Call of Duty series. Expand
  59. Jan 6, 2012
    While single-player is fun, the story and gameplay can get very dull and un-exciting. Multiplayer is full of game modes and weapons/equipment, but the game is filled with constant lag and occasional glitches/bugs(PS3 version). BUT, if you are looking for a game to play co op with your friends, there is always the "zombies" game mode which can keep you hooked for days. Overall, the game is fun, and does have its downsides, but whats worse is that the PS3 version is filled with lag and glitches in multiplayer Expand
  60. Nov 28, 2012
    Great game! I was hesitant when I learned Black Ops was set in the 70s or 80s but I was pleasantly surprised. There is a nice variety of maps, all of which are very nicely designed. The guns are noticeably different in how they handle, and there are some new kill streaks that are fun and can be very rewarding. I would put this game on par with MW2, though they are both very different games.
  61. Mar 25, 2013
    10-Presentation; The story is the best in the series, and the menu's are well laid out as always.
    10-Graphics; Everything looks excellent.
    10-Sound; Everything sounds excellent
    9-Game play; AI is still a little dumb, but everything else is excellent.
    10-Lasting value; There's tons to unlock, and it will take you forever to do so.
    Overall-10/10
  62. Nov 21, 2012
    Treyarch finally tries to change the formula in COD. Of course you can argue COD points failed - but more importantly, COD was different for the first time in a while. There's a definite feel in Black Ops that is different from it's Predecessors. IW just made the same game with MW2 - Black Ops may not be perfect, but it's certainly a very good game, in and of itself.
  63. Mar 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best game in the series. I agree the graphics aren't as good as Modern Warfare, but the story in this game is much more complete and thrilling than any other CoD game out there. The voice acting is great with a top-notch cast of Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris, and others. Don't let your friends tell you different. This game is worth at least taking a look at if you haven't already. Expand
  64. May 16, 2013
    the best cod ever no cod will beat it sorry infinity ward
  65. Aug 17, 2013
    9.3 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

In my personal opinion, this is the best game in the Call of Duty series. After seeing the huge success of Modern Warfare, Treyarch finally decided to drop World War II and instead move on to the cold war and vietnam. With an intriguing story, an excellent expansion to the "Nazi Zombie"-lore and a huge array of additions to the multiplayer (where my
    favorites include: "Combat Training", "Theatre Mode", "Emblem" customization and "Wager Matches"), "Call of Duty: Black Ops" carries an improvement to the Call of Duty series not seen since "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare".

Some people may think that the story can be confusing at times (which I can agree on) and that it is yet another re-hash of the Call of Duty series, but I have found myself happily throwing many hours into "Call of Duty: Black Ops", and if you're a fan of first person shooters, I'm sure you will too.
  66. Jan 4, 2014
    Absolutely love this game.Probably my third favorite CoD (CoD 4,MW2,BO 1).The campaign had a lot of action,but not the best.Me multiplayer is great.I love it.It has given me wonderful times
  67. Dec 21, 2010
    If you have a fat ps3 do not buy this game. It can possibly (like me) ruin your ps3's bluray drive. Apparently thousands of ps3 owners are having this problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWBNDhV_H8
  68. Jan 14, 2011
  69. Jan 18, 2011
    I'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks ago when I saw Mythbusters videos of COD:BO on YouTube. COD:BO's single player campaign, while considerably superior to World at War's terrible single player, is still no where near the level of the old IW's "thrill ride" design philosophy. It's basically serviceable and you will enjoy it for what it is. Forgettable characters, absurd plot, good action. The multiplayer is COD:BO's true strength. It seems that Treyarch's mission was to improve from Modern Warfare's online multiplayer and the end result is quite satisfying. Frustrating aspects of Modern Warfare's over-the-top mulitplayer experience have been toned down or removed, leaving a clean and satisfying taste. No one will say that COD:BO pioneers anything in the genre, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Respawn of Bungie's next offering. However, Treyarch's come a LONG way and this game deserves success. Well done, Treyarch. Expand
  70. Mar 17, 2011
    where to start....the campign is good and the graphics are good, cool story, cool characters, and utterly different from any other call of duty. the gameplay is tight, the guns handle well, all in all a great single player game. Mp however is a broke pile of garbage. it lags like theres no tomorrow, every time the game is patched it creates 10 new problems, theres severe balancing issues, horrible servers...i could go on and on but i wont. when this game game out i was so excited. i loved everything about it! then they started patching the game and creating loop holes, and its there own fault. a public beta would have fixed 90 percent of these problems, but as usual activision refuses to do the logical thing! its an ok game. great story, terrible multiplayer. if you buy it remember your only buying 50% of a game Expand
  71. Jul 26, 2011
    I think Single player mode in COD is the best. in multiplayer mode game have small number of cards. it's bad and they very small!! :)
  72. Jan 26, 2011
    Awesome game I would recommend this game to every one. AND FOR EVERY ONE HOW DOESN'T LIKE THIS GAME thats your problem but i really like this game and would give it 100 out of 100
  73. Mar 18, 2011
    What an absolute load of rubbish this game is, a complete waste of money. Treyarch have once again shown that they are a poor relative of Infinity Ward as every aspect fo this game is worse than the IW games, as was World at War. Let's just hope that Activision sort out their differences with IW for the next game. COD4 was excellent, as was MW2.
    With Black Ops, the graphics are awful,
    the sound is dodgy, the maps are small and badly designed and it all feels a little bit too 'arcadey'. And the menu, upgrade and unlock facilities are atrocious.
    I love the COD games but I'd even take COD3 over this guff. Stick with MW2 or even COD4 and you'll be a lot happier and a lot more satisfied!
  74. Feb 27, 2011
    Modern Warfare 2 was a great achievement, to say the least. An action-packed campaign, addictive multiplayer, cool guns... How could it get any better? With Black Ops, better is exactly the case. The campaign is shorter, but might be more exciting. Multiplayer is deeper; the new wager match mode is relly fun. And zombie mode is a fun ride with 3 other buddies. Flaws are few and far between, like occasional connection problems and resolution issues. Buy it, you'll be satisfied. Expand
  75. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care for all of them. Reznov is the epiphany of the word badass! The multiplayer is incredibly simple, but rewardingly difficult to master. It'll suck you in and you'll get thousands of hours out of this game. Expand
  76. Mar 12, 2011
    A very great game, probably the best we've ever played! We think that Treyarch should make more COD games, no let-downs this time, just a normal action video game with story mode, multiplayer and a zombie game.
  77. Mar 16, 2011
    This game is amazing! I mean it! The campaign is the best of the series and the multi-player is awesome! Go and pick this game up RIGHT NOW! I MEAN IT! GO! NOW!
  78. Mar 24, 2011
    This is one of my favorite COD game because of the campaign and the multi-player. The campaign is the best of the series and I mean it! The multi-player is good but not as good as MW2's. Great game!
  79. Mar 30, 2011
    Black ops's multiplayer and online play is very good and fun to play. Not to mention Zombies is back and better than ever. World at War was very good but Black Ops is even better. Modern warfare 1 and 2 were such let downs. Im glad Black Ops is out to revive the series.
  80. Aug 12, 2011
    Blacks Ops (PS3 version) is a cleaned CoD , with a ton of new stuff that are compelling. The multiplayer has nice pace , the gameplay is the same ( obviously) , the graphics downgraded but not bad , and the story is well made. You need to play it , to see if it fits well for you . Let's see if CoD can keep the fan base fresh fro the couple months with the MW3 announcement .
  81. Apr 13, 2011
    This game is great but its not as good as MW2.The maps couldave been better like the ones in previous COD games.Without zombies this game wouldnt be as good.Zombies is the best part of the game by far.Overall, this game is really fun.
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    Below me are pretty much all the haters of this game that just make 500 accounts to give it a low score. I think this game is very good and if you have not played it like the other people who hate on this and give it a 0 you should play this ASAP!! It is so much fun I love the multiplayer so much it is very addicting and I can play this for hours. I think it beats the battlefield series by a lot.
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    I love this game so much I think its so much better than the other shooters like homefront and battlefield you have to play this game its so good and I dont know why a lot of people hate on this game just because its good and the best selling game of all time maybe. This is why I hate user score on metacritic I know people make like 500 accounts just to give this a bad review well this is a good game. Expand
  84. Jun 1, 2011
    Funny how COD always turns into a love or hate it game. In not comparing it to any other titles, I find the game to be very good. The single player campaign is a little too linear for my taste and at times it's hard to figure out what is going on. The multiplayer on the other hand, is spectacular. Love the guns, the gamemodes, the perks, and most everything about it. Graphics are good, and gameplay is smooth. The drawbacks for me would probably be the fact that all the game modes seem to be very similar, but then again, how different can you make it when one team is killing a second team and vica-versa. Easily the most addicting game I have ever picked up. 16 playing days into it, I'm still loving it. And I LOVE The theatre mode! FPS fans have probably already tried COD and either love it or hate it. I find the multiplayer much more satisfying than MW2, and a must in any PS3 collection. Expand
  85. May 5, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. There are just a few things that I didn't like as much as Modern Warfare 2. One thing is that the story in Modern Warfare was a bit better than this one's campaign, and Modern Warfare's made a bit more sense. Most of the guns in Black Ops are pretty amazing, but they are a bit over-powered, like the Stoner63 and Famas. But, I still like it better than Modern Warfare 2. Expand
  86. Jun 16, 2011
    I really like CoD series but I prefer Modern Warfare, Black Ops have a good campaign but I think the multyplayer is boring. This time Treyarch has done a better job.
  87. Jul 29, 2011
    call of duty black ops has a suckier campaign than modern warfare one and two, however the online play is very fun and very addicting. it was ok
  88. Sep 14, 2011
    We all know what to expect out of a COD game, so if you've played one then you know how it plays and feels. What it really boils down to is story, presentation, multiplayer, and level design.

The graphics are great, and the level design is incredible at times, but the story bounces around ALOT! You'll be all over the map, and not that it's a bad thing because one moment you're in a
    jungle, the next you're in the arctic on an abandoned ship.

The story has some very strange twists in it, think Fight club sort of. There are some great set piece battles to be had in this game, but the story is all over the place so it does get really hard to follow sometimes.

The multiplayer is where it's at for me in this game, and that's not usually the case for me in COD games, but with zombie modes and clever stage design, I found myself lost for hours in co-op and competitive online play.

It's not knocked out of the park though, let me explain. I had frequent bug problems in the campaign that really made me angry and had to play stages several times. There is a trophy for escaping a stage with 2 min. 15 sec. on the clock which I had to do almost 5 times to get it to register.

I also had a glitch/bug that I thought was part of the game that turned out to be one of the most disturbing and gruesome scenes I've ever seen in a game.

Without any spoilers, your players sanity seems to be in question at one point and I realized that. I entered an area of the game and there were dead bodies hanging all over the ceiling and from lights, even hanging on walls !

I was blown away! So I asked a friend who had played what he thought about that gruesome part, and he was totally baffled at what I was talking about when I explained it. So I went back to that part to show him, and it was totally different !

Glitches aside the game really is fun, it might not be totally as beautiful as MW2 is, but it's personality totally makes up for it. Black ops is one of those games you'll hear 2 extremes on, people either really like it, or really don't. Me I like it..flaws or not, it's fun and that's why I play.
  89. Oct 3, 2011
    This game has super fun online! The story is not too great but we have MW2 for that! No no no, this game is all about zombies and online, which are both flawless, GREAT BUY!
  90. Dec 19, 2011
    Call of Duty polarises the gaming community. With the release of the original Modern Warfare it was first cool to love it, then as it's success spilled over into admittedly complacent sequels, hating on the franchise became the order of the day. Personally, I enjoy the accessible controls and fast pace of the games, yet I can still see the lack of innovation with each instalment, including MW3. Black Ops, in my opinion, is a different beast. From the immediate presentation changes such as a faux interactive title screen to the revolution of the franchise's trademark levelling system, it's obvious Treyarch listened closely and attempted something different here. I think it was a bold move for this series and especially the "2nd developer" involved and I applaud them for it. The campaign alone is diverse and more narrative than ever, with an authentic Snake Eater-esque feel for the Cold War era.
    Multiplayer also delivers, with more customization and control over progression than ever before. The lack of exploits and glitchers online is also a welcome reprieve. Zombies I personally don't enjoy compared to other survival game modes but critical acclaim elsewhere speaks volumes for that. A genuine score.
  91. Nov 9, 2011
    Other than being able to play with bots with your friends this is the worst of the CODs.Multiplayer is stale and the story is so dull I never even finished it. Not really worth the money to be honest. Oh and I still have zombies.
  92. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is great. Whe i first started playing it I thought it was weak. After a while of getting use to it and after multiple updates, it developed into an awesome game! It is very balanced. The one thing they need to fix is spawn points. Its annoying, but not an issue.
  93. Dec 8, 2011
    I don't understand the reason for such negative reviews. Black Ops is a good game. It's fast paced, generally balanced, and more flexible than previous COD games. Does Black Ops still have some nitpicky issues? Yes, but overall, the game gave me the most fun I've had gaming since COD 4, and that's what counts right?
    ...
    Singleplayer is ok. The story is interesting and brings back Reznov
    from WAW. This is my main criticism. To connect the stories of the 2 games, I think more characters should have appeared. Namely, Polonsky should have returned as a Black Op. WAW's story already felt pretty detatched, and not bringing any characters back makes it feel even less connected. I will also say I really tried to play through on veteran, and specific chokepoints were just to hard. It's even worse than moments in COD 4. To be fair though, no COD game can match the greatness of COD 4.
    ...
    Multiplayer is where it counts, and Black Ops manages to deliver the COD experience with enough innovation to make me play it over the other games. The currency system is a love or hate kind of thing. I personally like the flexibility of buying the weapons and attachments I want. Contracts are unlikely to help you strike it rich, but are interesting to challenge yourself if nothing else. Weapon balance is a bit off at times. The Famas and AK74 are common sights due to their overpowered nature. Though, to be fair, 3arch has shown they are willing to fix their game, unlike IW MW2 disaster, and has patched the Famas to nerf its effectiveness. There's a 0 tolerance policy to cheating and boosting as well. Once you're reported, you're banned forever, and this is the main reason I prefer it over the other COD games infested with this scum.
    ...
    Zombies is fun as well. you only get 2 maps without DLC, but they're quite easily the most fun. The style is a lot different than WAW. You can't back into a dead-end and expect to make it far. It took me a while to get used to, and I still kinda suck, but it's so fun I have no complaints at all.
  94. Nov 11, 2011
    It's now Nov of 2011 and the huge title MW3 was just released a few days ago....... and guess what...... It **** sucks!!!!! worst cod online experience yet! That's actually why i'm here right now on this Black Ops page...... I just wanted to say that I **** love Black Ops and that it **** all over not only MW1, MW2 and MW3, but Infinity Ward and that other CO. involved in that disgrace of a cod game MW3! Treyarch I love you and really think that you should be the 1 and only developer involved in making COD games..... PERIOD!!! When you make Black Ops 2 which i'm sure you're in the process of doing now, please keep all the great things from Black Ops! Don't change it!!! Just make it better!!! Expand
  95. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. The single player is immense and the multiplayer is the most wonderful thing I've played since the original CoD4 MW. The new MW3 feels like a predecessor compared to this game. Treyarch really know their stuff whereas it looks like Infinity Ward have become complacent.
  96. Nov 21, 2011
    It's hard to appreciate how good and innovative this game really is until you go and play another online FPS. Before reading my review understand that this is the first Modern Warfare game I played. My previous online FPS experience comes from Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and the Halo series.

I'm not a huge fan of single player games in general, but I have to say I have quite enjoyed the
    campaign so far. It does a very good job of setting the scene on drawing you in, and has a fair bit of variation which you really need in these sort of games.

The Innovations I spoke come in the multiplayer mode, and there are 2 that stand out, 2 that I believe are as important to the genre as Goldeneye made the analogue stick. The 1st is the instant replay of when you're killed. It's so frustrating in FPS games when you just seem to die for an unknown reason and sometimes you'll just assume it's a glitch or your own team killed you. Aside from adding a good tactical advantage of knowing where you were killed from, it also adds to piece of mind. The 2nd innovation the the levelling up system. In previous games I've played in Halo you just get a higher rank and get to change the look of your character, but in BlackOps (and I'd assume the rest of the series) you get to buy new weapons and perks for your character as well, adding a whole new reason to keep playing online. I'm sure this will be developed even further by future FPS developers.

A few annoyances of the game are that if you're playing on a small tv or in splitscreen mode it can be very hard to see people, and also the opposition look similar to yourself so you often just walk past someone on the same team as you before turning round and knifing wildly after realising who they also. Also the killstreak part of the game is a brilliant addition, but it does tend to make the good people great, and the bad people worse. Defeating someone who is better than you is hard enough when they don't have a helicopter at their disposal.
  97. Dec 22, 2011
    the campaign rocks ...................................multiplayer is good ............................zombies is addictive in the beginning but after some time its boring............................................................
  98. Dec 26, 2011
    black ops is teryachs best cod yet it destroys world at war and it beats mw2 mainly due to mw2s sorry campaign its not bad but compared to the other cods poor. anyway black ops has a fantastic campaign and zombie mode is brilliant online its about even with mw2 but brilliant grahics action and a new different great protoganist i cant wait for black ops 2 in 2012
  99. Mar 14, 2012
    I now have gotten around to my feelings on this game, after a year and a third of playing it. At first, I thought this game was crap, with a very inconsistent hitmark system and very ridiculous kills. Now, however, after playing MW3, I think that both myself and a lot of other players are Back In Black. The is confusing at first, as it is a series of flashbacks. After playing it a few times, though, I get the gist of it, although it still sucks. Zombies is not my cup of tea unless I'm with friends, as it requires a lot of communication and understanding of how to survive in the maps to actually get far and have fun, until you eventually start just talking 'bout random stuff because you're just hoarding zombies until they overwhelm you. However, Treyarch took the biggest risk in Multiplayer, with a complete overhaul of the overall system. You can buy all perks after level 4, using money you get as a tenth of your xp each game. You also use this money to buy guns you have unlocked, and like perks, all equipment, lethals, and tacticals are unlocked once you create a class. The maps give you more variety than MW2 or MW3, with an Array of different maps that have been tailored to one gun type or another. The killstreaks are much harder to get, which I love, so that you're not bombed by YET ANOTHER PREDATOR! The guns also take ever so slightly longer to kill with than the other games, which increases you're chances of living. Also, the perks are much more balanced, and Tomahawks are amazing. Overall, a great game for the money. Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2010

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!