6.2

1. Dec 6, 2010
    Black Ops is cool. It's cool to own it. It's a COD game. It's good. Nuff said. Treyarch did well his time. It has awesome theater mode, better online multiplayer, better everything.
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome game! I don't understand all the haters? The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brilliant and the customization options are incredible. I'm not even talking about the Zombie mode which is super. Wonderful game if you're a COD or shooter fan.
  3. ERB
    Feb 1, 2014
    Call Of Duty Black Ops is no doubt one of the best Call Of Duty Games ever made.I should admit the single player campaign has a good story but it lacks time.I mean the single player campaign is so short that it really disappointed me.Well the graphics and environments in this game looks cool and beautiful.The multiplayer once again showed us why Call Of Duty is one of the best multiplayerCall Of Duty Black Ops is no doubt one of the best Call Of Duty Games ever made.I should admit the single player campaign has a good story but it lacks time.I mean the single player campaign is so short that it really disappointed me.Well the graphics and environments in this game looks cool and beautiful.The multiplayer once again showed us why Call Of Duty is one of the best multiplayer games of all time.It is addicting and fun.That is why I recommend you guys to buy this game and play it now. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2010
    Very good game well worth a play. Enjoyment to be had on some of the new online features. Doesnt quite live upto the hype and is not quite upto the standard of mw2 but still a great game on its own.Also the new theater feature is without a doubt one of the best new features in games in the last 5 years. well done treyarch
  5. Dec 8, 2010
    I have the PS3 version and overall I enjoy Blacks Ops. It's a fun game to pick up and play arcade experience and there's good value for money for all the modes and content compared to other FPS games.

The multiplayer and everything works fine for me and I have little to complain about. My only negative is that there is less depth and strategy in the gameplay compared to games like Killzone 2 or Bad Company 2. but nonetheless Black Ops is great at what it tries to be.
  6. Dec 9, 2010
    Let me start by saying I am going to be as fair and unbiased as possible with this review. I am 22 years of age and I thoroughly enjoy the CoD series and each new game captures at least 3-4 full days of my attention worth of game play.

I am currently at about 3 and a half days (according to their online leaderboard statistics) of online game play and I feel that is more than enough time to submit a fair review. I have read some of the reviews here and I have to disagree with the blatant disregard for innovation and substance that this game has to offer.

What Treyarch seems to do well with their CoD games is to add a compelling multi-player that is much more likely to addict the average player than that of the Infinity Ward titles. What MW2 did completely wrong is the absolute lack of enjoyment when playing against a dominant team; what Black Ops has done well is add multiple functions to make this game fun for a wider audience and much more balanced than previous CoD titles.

Yes, there are some serious connectivity issues, and menu glitches that need to be fixed, but there is a new update daily if not multiple times a day to solve some of these problems. I cannot review the single player because I have only played about a quarter of the missions because I am so addicted to the multiplayer. One thing I suggest for people who enjoy previous CoD titles is to allow some time to get into the game. Do not expect your first 10 games to be instantly enjoyable or for you to be getting 10.0 kill to death ratios like some of the people online. This game has a very very high learning curve in which brand new players will likely fall short if they do not give it a little time to adjust to such a fast paced and small environment.

Another thing that most people should know is that there are hundreds, maybe thousands or even hundreds of thousands of different custom class possibilities... This leaves you so many options that makes it possible for you to find your little niche in the combat zone, don't give up just because you fell short the first 5 games you played. Another thing I'd like to mention is that the best 3 weapons in the game do are not unlocked until level 20, 38, and 44... So if you read a review about someone who has only reached level 19 (coughhhh, the reason I am making this review coughhh) then you are being mislead by someone who is either terrible at FPS games or is just too impatient to give this game a chance.

Overall Black Ops runs well and plays well. The multiplayer is FAR MORE FUN than Modern Warfare 2 due to the fact that there is no game-ending killstreak (Nuke-cough cough) and even when there is a person in the game waving their over-experienced 20 and 0 ratio in your face... grab a rocket launcher and knock down their damn killstreaks... plain and simple

Some buggy things that may eventually be patched... The knifing in this game is (in my opinion) worse than any other CoD I've ever played (I've been playing since CoD 3), and the lag and server connect issues can be bothersome after a while. Often you will hear two or three *plink* sounds (meaning headshot) but the enemy player will either not die or will take at least one more shot (this might be purposeful and class based, but its frustrating). Lastly, if you are an avid player and you typically do very well... find yourself a party of people you trust because random kids always seem to disappoint, and more often than not yell, scream, talk crap, or just plain and simply make the game not fun at all.

My vote... Give it a fair chance and I think an 8 rating is a conservative estimate on this game....

Lastly, if you have an Xbox 360... do yourself a favor and buy it for that console... the PS3 version is a port and is slightly more buggy, and I have no idea about how well the PC version runs.
  7. Jan 3, 2011
    Good, but not for all. the game is like others. the single player is easy to forget and the only reason they got it is for multi-player. offline isnt that great because there is no level system. everything is already unlocked... Next up is online. Its good but could have done better. Pistols,launchers.specials(2ndary) are poorly selected and not often used. For MW2 players you noticedGood, but not for all. the game is like others. the single player is easy to forget and the only reason they got it is for multi-player. offline isnt that great because there is no level system. everything is already unlocked... Next up is online. Its good but could have done better. Pistols,launchers.specials(2ndary) are poorly selected and not often used. For MW2 players you noticed shotguns are missing from this list. well they decided to throw them into primary class. The shotguns are for screwing around and are not that great. there seem to be less weapons and not nearly as many combinations. under barrel add ons disable the ability to add anything else to the assault rifle. only 4 light machines,only 4-5 shotguns(dont remember). add ons are also toned down along with the perks. pro is harder to unlock and often not worth it. the only reall good thing about online is currency. they did a good job with balance and player cards are expensive, but fun to create. Final mode is the zombies. It comes with 2 maps(unlock 1 after sinlge player) and another zombie mode that is good for a little while. the maps are small and cramped making it difficult to move and reach high levels. the new monster nova zombie(what i call it) will explode with nova gas after killed. this combined with tight areas make it even worse. the weapon selection is also decreased, but upgraded. Finally something everyone will love! in zombies they took out the wonderwaffle! so ya they kinda screwed up zombies but it can still be fun for hardcore zombie fans. overall the game should be rented before bought. I like it, but its not for all COD fans. this is a review for the ps3 version. Expand
  8. Jan 13, 2011
    Treyarch has experienced overshadowed success in the past 3 or so years because of the towering accomplishments the Modern Warfare series of Infinity Ward has achieved. With Black Ops entering the fray, I think Call of Duty fans will have mixed reactions to Treyarch's latest installment. If you've been playing CoD ever since Modern Warfare came out, a clearer and more learned stand on howTreyarch has experienced overshadowed success in the past 3 or so years because of the towering accomplishments the Modern Warfare series of Infinity Ward has achieved. With Black Ops entering the fray, I think Call of Duty fans will have mixed reactions to Treyarch's latest installment. If you've been playing CoD ever since Modern Warfare came out, a clearer and more learned stand on how Black Ops fares may be obtained. A lot of players were disappointed at how some aspects of Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops' predecessor, seemed too unrealistic for an FPS game. From Commando to Marathon and even how kills gotten from killstreaks enable you to get a higher killstreak reward, I would say a lot of users were pissed. Thus, Treyarch listened to the fans' cries and they listened real good. If one had experienced Modern Warfare 2's online gameplay, he would be able to tell that Black Ops' is starkly different. I dare say that Black Ops is more balanced when it comes to online multiplayer. The removal of Stopping Power, Commando and Danger Close among other perks is just one of the things Treyarch has done. Therefore, if you're the arcade-FPS type, Black Ops is a superb game if you're sick and tired of MW2. However, CoD's pseudo-lone wolf play style still remains as Bad Company 2 wins the more team-based gameplay.

The online mode is only one aspect of the game and Treyarch definitely didn't want to end there. Black Ops' solo campaign is a more creative and psychological take on military drama than Modern Warfare. It delves into unknown territory as you are taken into the Cold War's secret skirmishes. The campaign offers a lot of promising and fun gameplay as seen in the parts where the player controls various vehicles and guns.
    The Zombies mode is also a decent approach to giving players a break from competing with each other and instead, working together to defend against an outrageously weaved zombie apocalypse story. The zombies mode replaces the superb Spec Ops of Modern Warfare 2 but it isn't in any way any better or worse.

With all the tweaks on online gameplay and extra content, Treyarch has put up a surprisingly well-made Call of Duty sequel that may actually rival the peak performance of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. For CoD fans, and those who have had enough of Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops is a decent bang for your buck.
  9. Jan 21, 2011
    At this point, the worst thing about Black Ops is the worst thing about Call of Duty in general: it is getting stale. The series is almost becoming Tony Hawk. However, thanks to an excellent single player story, fun zombies, balanced and improved multiplayer, and great presentation, Black Ops is a noticeable step up from Modern Warfare 2. Sure, the campaign is still short, and it is stale,At this point, the worst thing about Black Ops is the worst thing about Call of Duty in general: it is getting stale. The series is almost becoming Tony Hawk. However, thanks to an excellent single player story, fun zombies, balanced and improved multiplayer, and great presentation, Black Ops is a noticeable step up from Modern Warfare 2. Sure, the campaign is still short, and it is stale, but Black Ops is at least worth a look. Expand
  10. Jan 12, 2012
    Call of Duty: Black Ops was a terrific game. It is a sequel to the 2008 game World at War and has much of the same character. Black Ops is based during the Cold War, and has many weapons to match the time period. It consists of three game play modes: Campaign, Multiplayer and Zombies. Campaign was comprised of a rich, well thought out plot, centering around Alex Mason. It has many goodCall of Duty: Black Ops was a terrific game. It is a sequel to the 2008 game World at War and has much of the same character. Black Ops is based during the Cold War, and has many weapons to match the time period. It consists of three game play modes: Campaign, Multiplayer and Zombies. Campaign was comprised of a rich, well thought out plot, centering around Alex Mason. It has many good levels, and the graphics are excellent. The Multiplayer is very different from Call of Duty's previous game, Modern Warfare 2. Instead of leveling up and unlocking guns, you must buy them with the new COD Points. They also have many new weapons and attachments, like the crossbow. Zombies is great and is very enjoyable and it just never gets old. However, there were two downsides. One was that the AI is incredibly stupid. I mean seriously, you can't get much dumber. The other one I had was with a glitch in Combat Training, a new addition to the Call of Duty Multiplayer which allows you to practice the maps with the AI which you can play with a friend. When you start, it puts you (and your friend) on a different team. When I try and switch to the same team as my friend, it switches from the usual six players on a team to eight, meaning that the other team had seven originally. All in all, this game was very good and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys shooter games or the Call of Duty series. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2012
    While single-player is fun, the story and gameplay can get very dull and un-exciting. Multiplayer is full of game modes and weapons/equipment, but the game is filled with constant lag and occasional glitches/bugs(PS3 version). BUT, if you are looking for a game to play co op with your friends, there is always the "zombies" game mode which can keep you hooked for days. Overall, the game isWhile single-player is fun, the story and gameplay can get very dull and un-exciting. Multiplayer is full of game modes and weapons/equipment, but the game is filled with constant lag and occasional glitches/bugs(PS3 version). BUT, if you are looking for a game to play co op with your friends, there is always the "zombies" game mode which can keep you hooked for days. Overall, the game is fun, and does have its downsides, but whats worse is that the PS3 version is filled with lag and glitches in multiplayer Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    Great game! I was hesitant when I learned Black Ops was set in the 70s or 80s but I was pleasantly surprised. There is a nice variety of maps, all of which are very nicely designed. The guns are noticeably different in how they handle, and there are some new kill streaks that are fun and can be very rewarding. I would put this game on par with MW2, though they are both very different games.
  13. Mar 25, 2013
    10-Presentation; The story is the best in the series, and the menu's are well laid out as always.
    10-Graphics; Everything looks excellent.
    10-Sound; Everything sounds excellent
    9-Game play; AI is still a little dumb, but everything else is excellent.
    10-Lasting value; There's tons to unlock, and it will take you forever to do so.
    Overall-10/10
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    Treyarch finally tries to change the formula in COD. Of course you can argue COD points failed - but more importantly, COD was different for the first time in a while. There's a definite feel in Black Ops that is different from it's Predecessors. IW just made the same game with MW2 - Black Ops may not be perfect, but it's certainly a very good game, in and of itself.
  15. Mar 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best game in the series. I agree the graphics aren't as good as Modern Warfare, but the story in this game is much more complete and thrilling than any other CoD game out there. The voice acting is great with a top-notch cast of Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris, and others. Don't let your friends tell you different. This game is worth at least taking aIn my opinion, this is the best game in the series. I agree the graphics aren't as good as Modern Warfare, but the story in this game is much more complete and thrilling than any other CoD game out there. The voice acting is great with a top-notch cast of Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris, and others. Don't let your friends tell you different. This game is worth at least taking a look at if you haven't already. Expand
  16. May 16, 2013
    the best cod ever no cod will beat it sorry infinity ward
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    9.3 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

9.3 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

In my personal opinion, this is the best game in the Call of Duty series. After seeing the huge success of Modern Warfare, Treyarch finally decided to drop World War II and instead move on to the cold war and vietnam. With an intriguing story, an excellent expansion to the "Nazi Zombie"-lore and a huge array of additions to the multiplayer (where my favorites include: "Combat Training", "Theatre Mode", "Emblem" customization and "Wager Matches"), "Call of Duty: Black Ops" carries an improvement to the Call of Duty series not seen since "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare".

Some people may think that the story can be confusing at times (which I can agree on) and that it is yet another re-hash of the Call of Duty series, but I have found myself happily throwing many hours into "Call of Duty: Black Ops", and if you're a fan of first person shooters, I'm sure you will too.
  18. ice
    Jan 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it just your normal first person shooter or something special? Call of duty black ops released November 9th by developer Treyarch the developers behind Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty 3. Black ops has one of the best story's ever in a Call of Duty game, because after the blunder of the multiplayer based game Modern Warfare 2's almost insulting campaign, I think Call of Duty fans got what they deserved. You play as Alex Mason and you are interrogated so your interrogators can find out the numbers in your head to SAVE THE WORLD! Cliche? Maybe, but it sure is fun. The campaign should last you about 6 hours so it is not the longest game in the world. But the meat of the game comes from the multiplayer. Surprisingly it is a lot more balanced then modern warfare 2's multiplayer. The killstreaks are fun and nice and balanced. One big thing I noticed with the kill streaks is if you have a player on your team having a aircraft in the sky which means you cannot call in your killstreak till that aircraft is out of the sky. Leveling up is easy as well, maybe to easy. Not like battlefield bad company 2 where I just got the game and I am still a level 1 and I have had the game for a week! The new cod points system is a big change to unlocking to unlocking then buying. All killstreaks are unlocked at level 10 and either you love the new system or hate the new system. The only problem I have with the multiplayer is being kicked out of a match or the host left all that stuff that you thought was bad in Modern Warfare 2...is back and worse it is a minor problem but with some people it can be troublesome. The new wager mode is added to this multiplayer and wow it is extremely fun and may be addicting that is how fun this is. Because I played gun game for a straight 3 hours it is that fun, and sometimes and I did not even care how much cod points I had left. 1 in the chamber is one of those games that your having fun when you are winning but when you are losing and you lost all 3 of your lives its not fun after that but if you are a real skilled cod player this may be the mode for you because it is as fun and addicting as the gun game. That is just to name a few modes in the wager mode, moving on we have theater mode where you can grab all the matches that you played watch it on theater mode and then save it so your friends can watch your sexy no scope. Combat training is for new cod fans where you get all the regular modes from the regular multiplayer but against ai team mates and they could be just as deadly as their online counterparts. The guns are a lot more balanced then mw2 even though the ak7u could be over powered and then you have the emblem editor which shows off your personal creativity which I like. That is just to scrape the surface of such a fantastic multiplayer experience. Now onto the extra content you can press both triggers on your controller and you walk to the computer and put a pass code and you are treated to a top down arcade shoot "dead ops arcade" but if you type in "zorks" you can play a fun game with the computer. Now to NAZI ZOMBIES! It is your old favorite characters from waw are back and they do not disappoint. Easily one of the best mini games on a video game to date. You get 2 zombie maps in the game "Kino der Toten/Cinema of the dead" and "five." Five is unlocked after beating the campaign and before you play five after the campaign you see a pretty funny cut scene between some historical figures. That is just to scrape the surface of black ops and it does not disappoint easily one of the best shooters of the year and surpasses the 60$ asking price with all stuff that is included in the game. If you are strictly a modern warfare 2 fan I would not say go out and buy the game since there are many changes to the games multiplayer but if you are a big cod fan yes go out and buy this game if you don't have it already. Yes this game has it's problems but do not let that stop you from buying such a great game Gameplay-9.0 Graphics-8.5 Sound-9.5 Presentation-9.5 Lasting Appeal-9.0 Expand
  19. Nov 17, 2011
    awseome game, they really out did themselves.took cod to a whole new level in my opinion. great job ..everything frome the campaign to the zombies , to the multiplayer. each one is a own unique level of fun.what will yall do next?
  20. Nov 26, 2010
    hello people this my first review so here i go when i played this game the game was hard because your a frist timer playing this game then when you play the game for a long time you get used to and then there the real action the game is amazing and the quality of the game is brillant it like your in the game real life and it is a wonderful fellin so thank you for listing and bye
  21. Dec 15, 2010
    What is really odd is that this game has easily the most split community i have ever seen. Before its release, the majority was saying that this game could make MW2 look like a beta. Closer to release, people started saying that they have had enough of COD and were going avoid this one. Now that its here, people cant decide if they like it or not. You either think MW2 was better (whichWhat is really odd is that this game has easily the most split community i have ever seen. Before its release, the majority was saying that this game could make MW2 look like a beta. Closer to release, people started saying that they have had enough of COD and were going avoid this one. Now that its here, people cant decide if they like it or not. You either think MW2 was better (which that dosnt make sense, because no matter where u looking someone was bashing MW2 for being "too glitched" or "has too many fanboys". or you love this game. It the context of things, this game really will make hardcore fans cringe or jump for joy. What should be said is that this game looks fantastic. Comparison to MW2, this game tried to hold back on the polished visuals for the realistic sense, but still looks amazing. Its useless to go on about gameplay, you either love it or hate it, simple as that. Story in my opinion is better because you focus on one person, not multiple sides. This makes the story flow and you feel more for the characters then jumping back and forth from one person to the next. Mulitplayer is the big selling point, but also is why most people are split. For the first time, a COD game incorporated some RPG element into the game, letting you customize everything but the shape of your body. There is now a money system, where you gain 'money' after a match and completing challenges. These may be to much for the hardcore shooter fans who only want to kill and not worry about how much that new gun is going to cost. I grew up with RPGs, while i dont play them anymore i do appreciate the customization and freedom you have, you really do feel like its your person now. The maps are very well done, though some are more popular then others. One thing i noticed is just how many ideas are taken from another big shooter franchise, Halo. The ability to 'vote' on the map you play next and heavy customization are almost identical to the system Halo: Reach uses. This is not a bad thing, this system is really good, but it feels like some elements were pretty much stolen. The last part to this game is Zombies, made popular to WaW. Only this time you can play online with up to 4 people. This is my favorite part of the pack, very addictive and fun. This game feeling like your are being given three games in one, and you have a 1 out of 3 chance of finding something you like. Is this game perfect for everyone? No, as you can see by the mulitiple 'negative' and 'mixed' reviews, not everyone feels the same about this game. You might want to rent this game first, then if you like it buy it because it will give you hours upon hours of entertainment, then if you dont then no worries, just return it. Expand
  22. Nov 16, 2010
    I enjoyed the single player side to Black Ops waaay more than MW2,I thought there were more memorable moments ,and It has a better storyline,the multiplayer is an improvment as well,not that MW2 had bad multiplayer,but I like the level of customization you can do,and once you have played a wager match its hard to go back to the old types of matches like your free for all,s and teamI enjoyed the single player side to Black Ops waaay more than MW2,I thought there were more memorable moments ,and It has a better storyline,the multiplayer is an improvment as well,not that MW2 had bad multiplayer,but I like the level of customization you can do,and once you have played a wager match its hard to go back to the old types of matches like your free for all,s and team deathmatch.I think every FPS with a multiplayer componet comming out from now on is gonna have some sort of wager match type option because its just that much better than anything you,ve played online before,zombie mode is awsome as usal,I do miss the Co-op missions from MW2 I feel they could of added that to make this a flawless game,but CO-Op split screen multiplayer with a bunch of bots is still a lot of fun,although the bots sumtimes pull of head shots that Neo would laugh off as impossible;) Pick this game up. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2010
    A GIANT step backwards!! Unfortunately I bought into all the hype for this game. Instead of a step forward from MW2, this next installment from Treyarch is a major disappointment. The multiplayer mode is seriously flawed in gameplay as well as graphics.
  24. Dec 31, 2010
    Although it was so anticipating and expected, it wasn't as perfect as I had wanted. If I think about it, the splitscreen and single player campaign was much better than the online gameplay. Personally, I never liked Call of Duty that much, but when MW2 had came out, I actually took a good interest, but I never showed that much liking to it. Still, Black Ops was amazing, and no major issuesAlthough it was so anticipating and expected, it wasn't as perfect as I had wanted. If I think about it, the splitscreen and single player campaign was much better than the online gameplay. Personally, I never liked Call of Duty that much, but when MW2 had came out, I actually took a good interest, but I never showed that much liking to it. Still, Black Ops was amazing, and no major issues to it, but I'm expecting both Infinity Ward and Treyarch to do better on their next games. Expand
  25. Apr 17, 2011
    I used to be a great fan of the COD series, but however, even though the first few games where great titles, activision now just spits one out year after year as fast as they can to make profits, the overall gameplay hasnt changed much after an almost decade of the series, with insignificant things like zombies and currency thrown in every few titles to try to keep it fresh, Black opsI used to be a great fan of the COD series, but however, even though the first few games where great titles, activision now just spits one out year after year as fast as they can to make profits, the overall gameplay hasnt changed much after an almost decade of the series, with insignificant things like zombies and currency thrown in every few titles to try to keep it fresh, Black ops itself has a short singleplayer with a more or less confusing story, and multiplayer gets boring extremely fast, I am now looking forward to the battlefield series where innovation and gameplay is key Expand
  26. Dec 5, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is a fun Action packed First Person Shooter that is addicting to play. The single player campaign is as intense as ever as you battle through deadly scenarios set in the cold war. Because this installment is set in the Cold War, Treyarch is no longer limited to WW2 history and the guns they have to design. There is a massive selection of arsenal to use includingCall of Duty: Black Ops is a fun Action packed First Person Shooter that is addicting to play. The single player campaign is as intense as ever as you battle through deadly scenarios set in the cold war. Because this installment is set in the Cold War, Treyarch is no longer limited to WW2 history and the guns they have to design. There is a massive selection of arsenal to use including AK-47's and Ballistic Knife's and the sound design of these guns is probably the best I've heard in the series. The graphics are fantastic to use in both Single player and Multiplayer and some levels in the single player campaign's environments are massive (although you are still restricted to a linear path sadly) and adds to the war intensity of the atmosphere. The character models and faces are so realistic and fluid and the motion capture is so well done. The story is told through flashbacks which can be annoying sometimes because the flashbacks interrupt the game play at times but it is a good way to present the story. I do prefer this campaign to Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer is where this game is at: It seems to be (to me) more balanced than Modern Warfare 2. There's no stupid game ending killstreaks (Tactical Nuke) or stupid AC-130's raining death from above but the RC-XD killstreak can get on my nerves sometimes. The maps are nicely designed and Black Ops brings new equipment to Multiplayer like the Camera Spike and Nova Gas to the mix to make the multiplayer even more interesting. A nice touch is that now you purchase guns, equipment, Perks and weapon attachments with Black Ops currency system instead of unlocking things as you level up. Currency can be earned by regularly playing Multiplayer and getting kills, completing challenges or leveling up. Gambling is introduced into Black Op's in the form of Wager Matches in which you put forward some of your currency and take part in Wager Matches and try to win more currency and this provides some tense battles where you can either win and buy some more stuff or lose and have to build up your currency bank again. The currency system means you can purchase what you want and play the game how you want to play it which is great. This gives you more freedom of choice: What guns you want, what perks you want etc. Customisation is taken further by letting you apply face paints to your character, customise red dot/ reflex sights (colour, sights etc), add your clan tag to your gun, design symbols for your gun and your gun colour pattern which are awesome so you can let your artistic skills go wild and really make your classes your own and unique. There are a few problems though: Treyarch didn't add any new multiplayer modes which is a shame: Black Ops justs cuts and pastes multiplayer modes from MW and MW2 and adds pretty much nothing of it's own. The Zombie Mode from World at War is also present in this game but has received very few tweaks but it provides some co-op fun with your friends. The spawning needs sorting out: At times I seem to spawn and then shortly get killed again. The Chopper Gunner killstreak is really annoying as well: Really frustrating when you spawn and then get killed by a Chopper gunner and then spawn then suddenly get killed again. Some of the matches I've been in have been really laggy and it's such a pain at times. The single player was at times disappointing and doesn't really offer much more than previous Call of Duty games although it does offer some intense set pieces. Call of Duty: Black Ops slices some frustrations from Modern Warfare 2 but the series is starting to grow tired now.â Expand
  27. Nov 11, 2010
    Why is this game getting low scores? Could it be that it is everything that MW2 isn't? Black ops is an incredibly well balanced multiplayer that puts everybody on a level playing field. You upgade your custom classes by purchasing your equipment with points earned in game, which is really addictive. The killstreaks are not too overpowered and do not count towards other killstreaks; whichWhy is this game getting low scores? Could it be that it is everything that MW2 isn't? Black ops is an incredibly well balanced multiplayer that puts everybody on a level playing field. You upgade your custom classes by purchasing your equipment with points earned in game, which is really addictive. The killstreaks are not too overpowered and do not count towards other killstreaks; which is the main reason that this game is very fair and balanced. The 14 maps are well designed because the do not cater to campers or snipers. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2010
    The worst of this game is supersedes even the best of MW2 in every aspect. It took what MW2 should've been and made it twice as good. I can honestly say this is the first COD that I've played and have actually had "fun". Pick this up guys, it's amazing.
  29. Nov 13, 2010
    I haven't played a Call of Duty since the first Modern Warfare, and to be honest it feels exactly the same. I was expecting it, and I expect the next couple installments to play and look very similar which is something that happens when they pump out a new game every year. I know there are new features, weapons, and some other things I'm not sure of because I haven't played a lot. It'sI haven't played a Call of Duty since the first Modern Warfare, and to be honest it feels exactly the same. I was expecting it, and I expect the next couple installments to play and look very similar which is something that happens when they pump out a new game every year. I know there are new features, weapons, and some other things I'm not sure of because I haven't played a lot. It's still fun though, you can find some game mode and play the **** out of it. The story for the campaign is solid and challenging which is something I look for in a game. I'm more of a Socom guy because I like the intensity of it, but I still enjoy the more mindless Call of Duty experience. If you got people to play with and time to kill, I'm sure you'll enjoy Black Ops. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2010
    Get this game. It is a blast! You people expect too much. Go back and replay front line and see how far things have come. If you like the other COD games you will be good to go. Enjoy!
  31. Nov 22, 2010
    Call of duty Black ops has received more hype than it's predecessor Modern Warfare 2, and as of such many haters have arised because of this.
    Black ops is not a perfect game, but has definately got the best story of any call of duty title, and the multiplayer side of the game is flawed, but contains enough addictivity and content to keep you playing.
    Black ops is set in the middle of the
    Black ops is set in the middle of the cold war, you will take the role of Alex Mason and Jason Hudson for the majority of the campaign. The entire story is told through flashbacks of Mason. It is a very different story unlike the previous COD games, mainly because it feels more like something out of CSI rather than war games. The campaign at times is majorly intense and this is not a good thing seeing as it just seemed like it was non-stop action all the way through, making it exahasting. Though when I finished it, all became clear, and I definately found myself inspired by the campaign, as I do feel more lucky to be alive now i've played it.
    The multiplayer side is rather the same as the previous games, with perks and unlockable guns, but this time you can only unlock guns and abilities through using COD points, the currency of the game.
    You can gain cod points in various ways, a great way is using either contracts, or the fun new wager matches, which basically allow you to gamble your points for more.
    Sadly, while the game has fixed glitches and errors from Modern warfare 2, such as Quick scoping, Continuing killstreaks and over powered weapons, Cod points do sometimes get on your nerves, as you have to buy absolutly everything, and I mean everything, this sometimes makes things no worth bothering to get. The maps are now definately not as camper friendly as in MW2, but the bad side is that while the maps are still large, there are lots of objects in the way, this makes almost impossible to get any value out of using sniper rifles, unless you use an ACOG sight, and even using that won't guarrentee you your money's worth.
    While it is majorly unsniper friendly, and cod points are sometimes annoying, its a solid multiplayer none the less.
    The last main piece of content is Zombies. I felt a bit dissapointed with zombies, the maps you are put in are not very friendly and are quite confusing, they should have included a simple map such as one like Nacht der untoten from World at War. Still, get a few friends together, and it has its moments, though its best to get a Hardened version of the game so that you can get the old classic zombie maps from the previous game.
    Overall, Black ops in its gameplay sense is the same as the last 3 games in the series and now it is starting to show its age, though the multiplayer is darn right addictive, so this is what I say.
    If your looking for a great game, go for World at War, if your looking for an addictive game, go for Black ops
  32. Dec 3, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is an action packed game which is extremely interesting to play. It is also a very addictive game which proves how good the game is also the graphics on the game is fantastic. The sound quality is just so real but the disappointment iof the game is that there is not much difference from call of duty modern warfare either than that it is a very impressive game to play.
  33. Nov 27, 2010
    don't listen to the haters that wrote negative comments about this game. it's fantastic. it's nothing like modern warfare and isn't as exciting but it's well worth the money. esspecially the online portion alone. hell even the campaign is just as exciting. although it isn't the thrill ride no one expected it is still one hell of a ride
  34. Nov 20, 2010
    Treyarch had a place in everyone's hearts when they released WaW which was mainly down to Zombies and the stellar single player, but their new creation isn't as ground breaking as its predecessor. Due to the fact that they have followed the same formula when creating the same single player, you know the one where it is packed full of cinematic sequences that get you pumped with adrenalineTreyarch had a place in everyone's hearts when they released WaW which was mainly down to Zombies and the stellar single player, but their new creation isn't as ground breaking as its predecessor. Due to the fact that they have followed the same formula when creating the same single player, you know the one where it is packed full of cinematic sequences that get you pumped with adrenaline and makes you feel like a God (of CoD). But although most will enjoy the awesome single player it won't take more than a day to finish the campaign and the story plot is predictable but with a twist or two that you wont guess.

Multiplayer? Well if you were lucky enough to get it at release date then you would probably have enjoyed it with an exception from the annoying matchmaking faults, which are fixed btw. But now that it has been out for a while people have the top weapons which trust me really does make a difference as the last two weapons have barely any recoil and have a crap load of damage which makes for a horrible experience for the lower levels. There is also the fact that the killstreaks area lot lower and a **** load more dangerous plus there is a perk which you can take that lets people get it even faster. Overall the Multiplayer has changed a lot by using credits but they have made the game revolve completely around money which takes out the chance to earn them which makes the game a little bit stingy, the whole Mutiplayer is unbalanced but there is simply know way to fix that, a lot of people are going to get annoyed and frustrated over the Multiplayer so I think Treyarch have let us down there.

As for Zombies the thing has been revamped a bit with the modern feel and new maps, but the mode on a whole as stayed the same which is not good and the maps although nicely made are very hard to survive in, on the plus side though one map lets you play as JFK and Nixon and who wouldn't love that. Dead ops arcade is an excellent edition to the game as well because it is rather fun and those old school gamers out there will absolutely love it.
  35. Nov 26, 2010
    This is the ps3 game of the year. It is so much better then mw2 in almost every way. surprisingly, single player alone is a good resion to buy this game. it feals like a movie at some points of the game and a plot to enjoy to the end. the multiplayer is a HUGE improvment over mw2 (which simply was cod4 with new killstreks) i do not under stand why infinity ward wont try anything new andThis is the ps3 game of the year. It is so much better then mw2 in almost every way. surprisingly, single player alone is a good resion to buy this game. it feals like a movie at some points of the game and a plot to enjoy to the end. the multiplayer is a HUGE improvment over mw2 (which simply was cod4 with new killstreks) i do not under stand why infinity ward wont try anything new and risky. the point system is a breath of fresh air to the overused make 300 kills with a silenser to to get a heat beat sensor.plus NO HARTBEAT SENSOR AND NUKES! my life has been made happier because they are the resion I have stoped playin mw2 . overall there are a few kinks in single player like scrips. overall, i like this game and i think you will like it to. Expand
  36. Dec 10, 2010
    i think call of duty, is an outstanding game, the graphics on it is just unbelivable, you will be shocked at how they make the graphics on this game because it seems impossible, they've spent so much time on this game, and it has payed off extremely good, the gameplay on it is amazing, everything about COD is just good, i think trechyard has showed the ability to make games in the past 2i think call of duty, is an outstanding game, the graphics on it is just unbelivable, you will be shocked at how they make the graphics on this game because it seems impossible, they've spent so much time on this game, and it has payed off extremely good, the gameplay on it is amazing, everything about COD is just good, i think trechyard has showed the ability to make games in the past 2 COD's they have done, if everyone is moaning about COD i suggest u all should fix up, why dont you try making this game and see how hard it is? COD black ops is so much different to all the other COD's , for me COD 4 is still the best COD, but they have made a big improvment on this one, Trechyard should be proud of thereselves, The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brillliant and the customization options are incredibble, if ur looking for shooter games, i suggest you buy this!, you will be hooked on it all the time, once you play it, its like one of them games where you just carry on playing it until you get what you need, the achievments on here are fantastic, and i think the guns have made progress aswell from the last CODS, if u want a really good game to play i recommend this to all of you. Expand
  37. Nov 17, 2010
    i was greatfully dissapointed over this, the start doesnt give any clear explantions as to what is actually happneing you just thrown straight into a gun fight. the story line is bland and doesnt devier well like modern warfare 2. there is no point in playing again eaither as you get no replay vaule it that dull. and with only one online game its slightly pointless one at that.
  38. Nov 18, 2010
    Black Ops what everyone at fist thought WoW then the developer comes up TREYARCH the bubble is popped.. But did they proove everyone wrong being calling in this care package,yeah well its quite similar to MW1 but it is still an adrenaline rush from the campaign or to the hardcore kick ass multiplayer.. The game is a full package and should of deserved more recognition instead people justBlack Ops what everyone at fist thought WoW then the developer comes up TREYARCH the bubble is popped.. But did they proove everyone wrong being calling in this care package,yeah well its quite similar to MW1 but it is still an adrenaline rush from the campaign or to the hardcore kick ass multiplayer.. The game is a full package and should of deserved more recognition instead people just check the Developer,this is wrong!! If you are looking for a true sequal (similar to MW1) well then here is where the bus stops for you as it stopped for me "this is the true COD experience"!!! 10/10.. Collapse
  39. Nov 18, 2010
    First and foremost, I'm new to COD so take this as you want. I've played every type of shooter I could find. This game is complete, it definitely has some bugs. Over all though the game is amazingly detailed and the game play is overall pretty fluid. Story line is awesome. As far as how it compares, no idea but as an introduction title to COD I'm pretty content. When a update comes out forFirst and foremost, I'm new to COD so take this as you want. I've played every type of shooter I could find. This game is complete, it definitely has some bugs. Over all though the game is amazingly detailed and the game play is overall pretty fluid. Story line is awesome. As far as how it compares, no idea but as an introduction title to COD I'm pretty content. When a update comes out for the game, I can see some of the issues currently in the game being corrected as it's been done with other titles. Expand
  40. Nov 21, 2010
    Many of these problems with graphics seem to be PS3 specific. I have an xbox and have had no problems, next door at my mates we play it on the PS3. It looks better, but there are seriously limiting frame rate issues? Which is weird.

On to the game.. Granted, 1 player mode isn't very inventive, pretty rubbish dialogue etc... but seriously. It's a fps called 'Call of Duty' what did you

On to the game..

Granted, 1 player mode isn't very inventive, pretty rubbish dialogue etc... but seriously. It's a fps called 'Call of Duty' what did you expect? Multiplayer is far far superior to MW2 and after playing about 10 hours, I stand by that statement. Played all the COD games to death and in my opinion they have done everything right here. Removed the annoying commando class (although, replaced it with RC cars which are a bit annoying, but in their defence they're no different from predator missiles in the last game).
    What they have done is force people to stand up and fight with guns, not run around stabbing people in the back. That's got to be a good thing? Shotguns can no longer be your 2nd weapon, again, removing the annoying in door shotgun battles from the last game.
    Treyarch have put COD on a par with Bungie for multiplayer detail with the customisation, game recording (so nerdy but amazing), guns, face paints, logos (see who can design the best penis) and post game stats.

The critic reviews say it all. Not perfect by any means, but the best in the series by far in my opinion. Is it worth buying if you don't play it online? No. But was it ever?
    x
  41. Nov 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As in any Call Of Duty game, Black Ops has the most Campaign mode glitch's I've ever seen, for instance, here's my playing Campaign when I have to kill a few people when a team-mate gets shot, so a soldier goes over to revive him when he is shot 1000 feet in the air, also (SPOILER AHEAD! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-) When Reznov is helping me he gets stuck to the roof and is killed, this happens every time and I cannot complete the mission. Anyhow, BlOps is a great multi-player online game, worth getting for any fan. Expand
  42. Dec 13, 2010
    Excellent sequel to MW2. Treyarch listened to fans who dodn't like MW2 and fixed almost all the problems. Beautiful graphics and a worthy game for all first-person shooter video game fans.
  43. Jan 6, 2011
    I wasn't a fan at first and the connection/lag issues were annoying, but this is a great game. It doesn't quite have the feel of MW2, which I loved, but it's better in most ways. They removed some of the annoying features from MW2 and added far greater depth.
  44. Jan 15, 2011
    Game is pretty fun. The story is pretty engaging big over the top action scenes. The multiplayer is really fun and has a lot of stuff that you can unlock or not if you don't want to spend your COD points on it. the last kill cam and theater mode was pretty neat features. the Killstreaks and weapon attachments are as good as ever and they added the Galil which is a great gun. Split screenGame is pretty fun. The story is pretty engaging big over the top action scenes. The multiplayer is really fun and has a lot of stuff that you can unlock or not if you don't want to spend your COD points on it. the last kill cam and theater mode was pretty neat features. the Killstreaks and weapon attachments are as good as ever and they added the Galil which is a great gun. Split screen Multiplayer is a plus too. The zombie mode is pretty fun if you have 4 players because it can get difficult. If you're a fan of FPS or the Call of Duty Series I recommend getting this game because its more of the same Call of Duty shootin Fun Expand
  45. Jan 19, 2011
    If you strictly play multiplayer FPS's to run, gun and trashtalk, then this is the game is for you. Little or no tactics are required and, in fact, they tend to get in the way. Even during the Team Tactical mode, most players will leave the bomb behind and instead try to wipe out the opposing team. The best approach I've found is to start running when the clock starts, and start shootingIf you strictly play multiplayer FPS's to run, gun and trashtalk, then this is the game is for you. Little or no tactics are required and, in fact, they tend to get in the way. Even during the Team Tactical mode, most players will leave the bomb behind and instead try to wipe out the opposing team. The best approach I've found is to start running when the clock starts, and start shooting whenever you turn a corner or enter a door. This is also a great game if you have a high tolerance for server lag, abruptly closed game sessions, and looooooong waits while you're migrated to a new host in the middle of a hotstreak. I'm just coming off 30 minutes of multiplayer during which I clocked in seven minutes of actual play. The other 23 minutes were spent waiting for players to join so a game could start and then, invariably after I'd reach the center of the map, the little Connection Lost animation would start and the lobby would close. Then it'd be five more minutes of waiting for players to join, the game to start... I wish I could say this was out of the ordinary for Treyarch.

Also, if your PS3 is connected via a non-bridged modem-router arrangement, you can forget ever connecting online with your friends to play BO. And if you don't know what this means, then you're rolling the dice.

Bottom line: When multiplayer works at all, COD:BO feels more like a lottery you win, rather than a game that you play. If you want something a little more stimulating and challenging than having your knew tapped with a mallet, I recommend you go out and buy a nice inexpensive used version of Killzone 2.
  46. Jan 22, 2011
    To be honest, this is the best game I have ever played and I did play MW2! Call of Duty Black Ops has a much better and more interesting story than Mw2. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but one thing for sure is the story is EPIC!!! Another thing is the graphics, now the graphics may not be as good as Mw2's but they are by my standards pretty awesome. Now online. I can't really commentTo be honest, this is the best game I have ever played and I did play MW2! Call of Duty Black Ops has a much better and more interesting story than Mw2. I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but one thing for sure is the story is EPIC!!! Another thing is the graphics, now the graphics may not be as good as Mw2's but they are by my standards pretty awesome. Now online. I can't really comment on Mw2's online play, but Black Ops online multiplayer is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!! Even if your like me and die more than you kill, you should still be found having an awesome time. Another perk is Zombies which may be one of the smartest things to do since it was so successful in World at War. It is cool to play by yourself, with a friend, or online. This is THE best game I have ever played and according to intel, mail, and notes from the game (won't play spoiler to you), you can be expecting a Call of Duty Black Ops 2 announcment pretty soon!!! Expand
  47. Jul 25, 2012
    A definite improvement of World At War. Black Ops took the one aspect of its predecessor that we loved, the Zombie mode, and built on it, making it perhaps even more worth buying the game than the multiplayer. Speaking of which, the multiplayer has definitely improved, now matching its counterpart Modern Warfare, and finally, unlike many fps games nowadays, it does have an well craftedA definite improvement of World At War. Black Ops took the one aspect of its predecessor that we loved, the Zombie mode, and built on it, making it perhaps even more worth buying the game than the multiplayer. Speaking of which, the multiplayer has definitely improved, now matching its counterpart Modern Warfare, and finally, unlike many fps games nowadays, it does have an well crafted plot, with an interesting albeit predictable twist. An overall fun game that fights the general stereotype that franchises are often ruined by sequels. Expand
  48. Oct 13, 2011
    Nothing revolutionary. Yet nothing bad. Black ops delivers a good singleplayer campaign with a interesting story and a fun multiplayer experience. Not as ground breaking as Call of duty 4: Modern Warfare that's for sure.
  49. Jan 4, 2014
    Absolutely love this game.Probably my third favorite CoD (CoD 4,MW2,BO 1).The campaign had a lot of action,but not the best.Me multiplayer is great.I love it.It has given me wonderful times
  50. Nov 9, 2010
    I realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has beenI realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has been excellent. I have only played multiplayer thus far as that is primarily the reason I play FPSs and, I can say unequivocally, Black Ops is light years ahead of Modern Warfare 2. The first Modern Warfare is a close second for favorite game of this generation and, as such, I had held high hopes for MW2 but it disappointed me on every front. Needless to say, Black Ops gets COD back on track for me. So far, I have experienced none of the rage-inducing bugs and glitches of MW2 and the MP maps are excellent. I am fine with Black Ops system of adding perks. It is not perfect but is infinitely superior to MW2's perk system, which was another major source of aggravation related to that game. I whole-heartedly recommend Black Ops to COD veterans but that's preaching to the choir. I highly recommend the game for any FPS or MP fan as well. Expand
  51. Nov 10, 2010
    I understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paintI understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paint being slapped on every November. As long as it feels and plays like a Call of Duty game should, I'm happy to stand in a cold-ass Gamestop line at 1 in the morning to fork over my 60 bucks. Expand
  52. Nov 9, 2010
    Wonderful array of options. Superbly balance weapons and perks. Great variety of multiplay game and game modes. However no 'X' factor. Overall a solid game which isn't as slick as the 'supposed' broken modern warfare 2.
  53. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops has worse music than Modern Warfare 2 (and even worse than World at War), but it's compensed with the best campaign mode in the series, tons of extras (Zombies Mode, Dead Ops Arcade, descriptions of the characters/missions in intel...) and the best multiplayer mode in the series too.
  54. Nov 12, 2010
    This may be the best game I've ever played. reading all the negative comments, it seems most people have just given up after only playing for an hour or two. It may feel too hard for someone who has only played modern warfare two before this but once you get the hang of it, it is really very fun. The weapon balance is pretty good, the increased viewkick when you get shot means that 9 timesThis may be the best game I've ever played. reading all the negative comments, it seems most people have just given up after only playing for an hour or two. It may feel too hard for someone who has only played modern warfare two before this but once you get the hang of it, it is really very fun. The weapon balance is pretty good, the increased viewkick when you get shot means that 9 times out of 10 the person who gets the first shot will win the firefight, even more so than other call of duty games. Multiplayer will most likely be the thing that keeps you coming back all year. but on top of that you have an insane story mode, longer than other cod games, and just as fun. It includes many cool effects and set pieces. The third mode, zombies is an upgraded version of nazi zombies from WaW, the maps are much bigger and there is more to buy. Some other notable features are bots for spilt screen and practicing, with 4 difficulty settings. Many, many customisation options for multiplayer and theatre mode. Expand
  55. Nov 13, 2010
    What is going all with all haters? The game is AWESOME!!! Multiplayer is the best! 10/10! And no more cheating streaks and perks like in mw2. Best Game of 2010. And zombies are cool, especially when u playing with your friends!
  56. Nov 13, 2010
    Just what you'd expect out of CoD. It's not different at all but it's still just as fun as every other CoD out there. If your complaining that the game sucks then why would you buy it when you knew that CoD is the almost the same each and every year. BUT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!1
  57. Dec 3, 2010
    how do you delete a review or your account? ****
  58. Nov 10, 2010
    I love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game toI love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game to play with friends or by yourself. The campaign is pretty short but everyone buys this for the online experience, and while you may love or hate the addition of cod points the new wager matches are the best and most fun way to get them. The big amount of customization is one of my favorite parts of the online, and you can really spend a lot of time perfecting your custom emblem. Maybe the most overdue feature of all is split screen online. Theres been countless times when you have a friend over or something and you want to play with them and still level up. Now you can. I could go on about the new modes and features forever but all you really need to know is that Treyarch has done a fantastic job and is every bit as capable of making a quality game as infinity ward and you should not miss this game. Expand
  59. Dec 2, 2010
    Well what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on everyWell what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on every class just to kill someone. There are however a few let downs. the lag on the PS3 version is unbareable at some points, and the zombie maps do feel a little cramped. there are some annoyances, but i do feel that those i havnt included could be to personal opinion. Overall an amazing game. P.S. i love how responcive Treyarch are to our complaints, and how they work so hard to keep us happy...unlike Infinity Ward. Expand
  60. Nov 12, 2010
    Call of duty black will have your heart pumping like it never pumped before The single player is fantastic. Awesome game! This is an amazing upgrade from call of duty mw2 and call of duty back. Everything in the game is just so balanced. To me this is the best call of duty ever.
  61. Nov 11, 2010
    I've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player isI've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player is something different but a welcomed change. In essence, it does feel like a COD game...with a new map pack but the way they go about trying to make fresh changes, it has stepped above the rest and ventured out on it's own. Don't listen to the haters. If there is one thing in my life to be revered about, it's my honesty. I promise that if you give B.O some time, you WILL love it. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  62. Nov 9, 2010
    I thought the game was great. Its by far better than MW2. The campaign is great, Nazi Zombies is back and better than ever, and the Multiplayer is balanced.
  63. Nov 10, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Story: 10/10 It has the best story of all the COD Games, it is easy to understand and very straightforward.
    Graphics: 9.5/10 While it does have some Glitches and such, it improved on the Graphics of MW2 and it is a beautiful game to look at! Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is starting to get old.
    Multiplayer: 10/10 In my opinion COD has the best multiplayer for a FPS, and it has even improved with introducing a fun little feature Cod points.

Verdict: COD Black Ops redifines every little fun old COD mechanics and improves on it. But if you already have the past 6 COD's you wouldn't be impressed by this next installment.
  64. Nov 17, 2010
    best game ever for online it is nonstop fun i dont think u can not have fun in this game it is amazing all the new stuff they added makes u trying to get em plus the perks are more balanced now and it is just very good and the chopper gunner looks way way more better because u can see the map its beautiful
  65. Nov 9, 2010
    This is best Call of Duty to date due to it's shift to the more hardcore player, as Modern Warfare 2 allowed even the beginner to breeze through the game without any trouble. This is not the case in Black Ops, one must actually possess "skill" in order to be successful.
  66. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of duty black ops is a good game if you like thriller and intense gaming this game lacks a lot of potential and also it is very life like if you like games which show really good and a lot of graphics show then this is the game This game is an amazing shooter The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD and is nice and all the main point of this game is the great multiplayer. The best thing about call of duty black ops is the weapon ranges and the character building also there is a lot different matches such as a wage match which lets you play the game in multiplayer mode but the downside to this kind of match is if someone knifes you in the back the all your money that you have earned goes to that player in this type of game it learns you to be quick on your feet with the player also be very stealth and you also have to watch your back as you could get stabbed this game gives a lot of qualities out to other people. This game is rated 9/10 because of everything it has this game can be quite addicting after you have played it once there is another type of match and that is death match this is when you and another team has to shoot each other you can either be red or blue more people you kill more points you get but if you kill 1 after 1 then it is called a strike and you can get prizes such as a helicopter or some type. Expand
  67. Nov 12, 2010
    It's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and IIt's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and I think it's the highlight of the series and by far the best game. Then came COD WAW which was alright but nothing memorable and after that came COD MW 2. Now that was a good game, not as impressive as COD MW but still a good game that improved on its predecessor in most aspects, a worthy sequel. I was expecting at least this much from Black Ops, to be a worthy sequel. I didn't care about what studio (treyarch, infinity ward) made what, I was just expecting a good COD game but unfortunately BO is not a good COD game. It is just another alright FPS like COD WAW but that's all it is, nothing more. In fact this game is a class down from COD MW 2. The visuals are worse. Some textures look really bad and there is an overall luck of detail. The environments although varied are unimpressive. The same old factories, abandoned facilities, wrecked buildings and some outside environments that we'seen before again and again. Honestly people who say that the graphics are better than MW2 even MW need their eyes checked.
    The story that's supposedly interesting is nothing more than the flashbacks of a CIA operative's memories. People question you about topic A and you are taken to a battle. Then there is topic B and another battle. The battles don't have a start or a finish. You are thrown into a chaos of bullets and fight your way out. You feel very rushed and can't enjoy it. It seems as if they sew together random firefights and big set pieces just for the sake of impression. The sounds are bad. The weapons don't sound powerful enough and don't feel powerful either. The explosions are generic. The smoke is last gen. In fact this game seems like a last gen game with a next gen makeup.
    The good thing about this game is the multiplayer which basically steels most ideas from MW2 and adds a few things on top. It is enjoyable and much easier than MW2 but on the bad side there are lots of disconnections. Overall I'd say rent first.
  68. Nov 19, 2010
    Basically COD 2.5
    CONTAINS no original ideas and really takes the wind out of the last ones sails.
    Good graphics, Great story, but the same damn everything else.
    Shame one you Activision
  69. Nov 28, 2010
    I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic.I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic. Currency and customization are deep and well-done. The new emblem designing is neat (although fewer phalluses and nazi symbols would be great). And zombies and Dead Ops are two game modes I haven't even PLAYED yet. There's quite a bit of content here. I love hte stat counters that appear at the bottom of the mulitplayer menu. Oh, and split screen is nice, even without dual log-in. (patch this in, please?) In short, this game is awesome. It really is. Maybe it's a disappointment to long-time fans, but judging THIS GAME for how good THIS GAME is, it gets a ten. Putting my internet self at risk, I call fanboyism or shenanigans on the low scores. Expand
  70. Nov 16, 2010
    There have been mixed reviews about this game, some saying it's the best thing since sliced bread ( and giving it a 10) and others that are saying it's absolutely horrible and giving it a 3 or below. I will never give a game a 10 because there is no such thing as the perfect game and you really have to put out a **** game for it to get a 3 or below. (Rogue warrior deserved that not Call ofThere have been mixed reviews about this game, some saying it's the best thing since sliced bread ( and giving it a 10) and others that are saying it's absolutely horrible and giving it a 3 or below. I will never give a game a 10 because there is no such thing as the perfect game and you really have to put out a **** game for it to get a 3 or below. (Rogue warrior deserved that not Call of Duty) As a non-hater and non-fanboy of the Call of Duty series, this is how i thought it played out.
    STORY: The story was solid. I didn't think it had the character development like modern warfare or modern warfare 2 but was definitely good. Great plot with great twists and turns along the way. Your character finally voices his opinion in this game rather than the past few Call of Duty where he was the (I'm never going to say a word ever) silent protagonist. Also the game is just as long as the other Call of Duties lasting about 5-7 hours depending on which mode you are playing.
    CONTROLS: If you played World at War you have played Black Ops. There are a few new weapons which is the only difference besides the option to dive into the prone position which is a nice touch.
    GRAPHICS: About the same as World at War. Online seems to have taken a hit but it's because they have to compensate for all the face, gun, and outfit modifications you can make to personalize your arsenal. (Which is quite awesome I thought)
    REASONS ITS BETTER THAN ITS PREDECESSOR: You use money rather than a leveling system to purchase your guns, face & gun paint, and attachments. I thought the Campaign was better than World at War because it made you feel like you were a real important character rather than Kiefer Sutherland's **** And also, who doesn't want to control a remote controlled car with C4 strapped to it!

Overall, a game definitely worth playing. I think it kept the good name of Call of Duty and lived up to it's expectations. Even if you are not a big multi-player gamer, it's campaign is worth a playthrough.
  71. Nov 18, 2010
    I don't play Black Ops myself. HOWEVER, my roommate plays it online all the time. I am writing this from his perspective, and he seems to enjoy it. The graphics are good and the play style seems to work for him. As for me, I play World of Warcraft. While there are some similarities, the plot in Black Ops is lost to me. I will be content to play my own game, that's why I'm giving it an 8.
  72. Nov 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well. first off, i am a bit of a socialist, so it is inevitable that i would have problems with this game. but other than the commie bashing, there is little wrong with this game. while the vietnam parts are all gung ho gung ho, it would be boring if it wasnt right, were you not entertained. though the pyrotechnics are still, on a scale of 11, the storyline is much more likely to have been real, compared to MW2. and as far as the stroyline goes, i though that it was very very good. a beautiful twist, and some epic set pieces makes this a must have for many people, though if you are a commie or a socialist, then i recoment that you go into this game remembering that it is set during the cold war and it is made by Americans, so beware. and onto multiplayer. well, its prety similar to MW2, possibly even worse, but the big new feature is the training, where you can fight AI bots instead of online. this. is AMAZING. you will not belive that it is an AI. though the drawback is that you have to be connected to online even if you dont do the online figting.

and of course there is the age old argument that this game is bad because it is influencing our children. the answere to that, dont buy it for them.
  73. Nov 25, 2010
    Great addition to a FPS collection. The online is a little glitchy, but those issues will be fixed in time hopefully. All in all it is still fun and manages to warrant an upgrade from MW2.
    Story mode is very interesting and manages to keep you entertained, even though it seems quite guided.
    The addition of zombies and minor tweaks to everything make this a very balanced game. Graphics seem like they could have been a bit better. Anyone griping about this game is just nitpicking, Having a minimum of 250k online at anytime speaks for itself, don't listen to crybabies who take to the net to complain.
  74. Nov 27, 2010
    Create Class 2.0 upset me I must admit, because I was expecting full control over customization from the whole look of the character then being disappointed that the look of your character is determined by the first tier perk, like for example GHOST, the character is wearing a full gillie suit, that's fair enough but for me it's weird seeing players who you expect to be snipers runningCreate Class 2.0 upset me I must admit, because I was expecting full control over customization from the whole look of the character then being disappointed that the look of your character is determined by the first tier perk, like for example GHOST, the character is wearing a full gillie suit, that's fair enough but for me it's weird seeing players who you expect to be snipers running around with a mp5's and such, but I'm just being fussy, that's the only thing that gets me, if you could have full control over it, then that would be ace. Story is fantastic, has the COD twist to it, multi-player and zombies still hasn't disappointed. Expand
  75. Nov 30, 2010
    Great game, superb story, good customization options, new modes gun games etc, no more killstreaks gone mad which improves the multi-player (some connection issues, though not come across an online game that hasn't needed tweaked at some point) lastly theatre mode is great for showing off some kills. The amount of people that can play this for maybe an hour or the 1st few days, then comeGreat game, superb story, good customization options, new modes gun games etc, no more killstreaks gone mad which improves the multi-player (some connection issues, though not come across an online game that hasn't needed tweaked at some point) lastly theatre mode is great for showing off some kills. The amount of people that can play this for maybe an hour or the 1st few days, then come on giving scores of 0 is laughable (all probably on 3rd prestige now), Treyarch haters give it a rest please. I was a little unsure at 1st and yes the graphics are not as sharp as mw2, but this game offers so much more you won't notice after a few plays. If you're a COD fan you'll enjoy this game Expand
  76. Nov 9, 2010
    An amazing upgrade to the last game taking the best parts from w@w and mw2 and creating a well balanced online experience. A variety of new maps and de buffing to remove the unfair advantages that plagued the previous games. Obviously treyarch have spent time listening to the community with the addition of split screen as well as the well thought out currency system.
  77. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then getI have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. Expand
  78. Nov 10, 2010
    I wish people would stop rating this game so low. Yes it's similar to MW2 but it's the same franchise!
    This is the best FPS multiplayer game available on any system at the current time. The vast majority of the MP annoyances from MW2 have been resolved. Well worth picking up.
  79. Nov 11, 2010
    Best CoD yet! Great customisation. Great maps. Sound is superb (I was sat by rotting food in multiplayer map and could hear the flies behind me - surround sound).

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.
  80. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs areCall of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs are a one hit one kill, and that evens it out. CAMPAIGN: The story mode in black ops is brillant it is very well planned out, And I can say if you loved the series "24" you will absolutely love this game! It takes a complete different and I think much better way then any call of duty game EVER. Now the main character is sam Worthington from *shiver in disgust* avatar ,but other then his girlish screaming and disability to keep a steady American accent if comes though.

ZOMBIE MODE: There is nothing more i can say about zombie but if you loved the hell out of the original zombie you will love this one ven more!

Overall: this game is well worth the money It perfect other then a little beat of graphic issues ( same ones MW2 had) But therefore it is a close to perfect game. I am rating it a ten because 9 is way too harsh my official score is )( 9.8 ()
  81. Nov 15, 2010
    WOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And MultiplayerWOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And Multiplayer is awesome with all the NEW THINGS!! (Why change something that's good... Just add more good!!) For those of you who constantly compare graphics to PS2. Go play PS2 and if you still think it looks the same, go see an eye doctor. Sure it's not the BEST graphics out there, but there is nothing wrong with them either. This game deserves a better user rating than a 5.5. If you liked all the other Call of Duty games, you should like this one. (Not sure what MORE ppl are expecting. Maybe next time the prestige package should come with a blow-up doll for you guys! That might cheer you up.) Expand
  82. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system piping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  83. Nov 9, 2010
    OUTSTANDING in every way! Fascinating single player campaign story and multiplayer rocks. Wager Match is the BEST! I absolutely love this game! It's the BEST CALL OF DUTY EVER!
  84. Nov 11, 2010
    This is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find aThis is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find a mention of poor graphics, or a comparison to MW2, the campaign, or the frame rate, or some other lame excuse as to why you are most undoubtably getting handled in this game. I'm writing this in hopes the reader reads this after they read everything else: below you will find a matter-of-fact review of this brilliant game.

In short, no one buys a game for the campaign anymore so stop filling your reviews with critiques on it; post it on Facebook or something because no one cares. The only time anyone decent at these games play the campign is when they need to unlock something, or their Internet is down and they need their fix. Stop comparing it to the superhuman, camper/tube paradise that is MW2: that game is crap and everyone who still regards it as good should go pitch a tent in Summit and stop badmouthing a good game because you suck. Same goes for you quickscopers since I'm sure contributing to the bad reviews...don't worry I'm sure you'll find some way to exploit this game as well in order to make up for your lack of skilll. So let's be honest, the game is great. The game is also harder then MW2. There are hints of both MW2 and WaW, but the game is closer to CoD4...which is a good thing. Yes there is room for improvement, but overall, the stats, the customizations, the difficulty, and the gameplay in general, make this game a must gor any FPS gamer...don't recommend if you are a newb toobing camper.
  85. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is an amazing shooter! The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD entries and is nice and all but we all know that the primary sell point for COD is the great multiplayer experience! The game is exceptionally well made, graphics, story, etc.
  86. Nov 29, 2010
    Black ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and forBlack ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and for keeping multiplayer crisp. Plus, zombies! Everybody loves zombies. Expand
  87. Nov 15, 2010
    I'd like to start this review off by simply stating forget just about everything you knew about call of duty modern warfare 2 because black opps is here and it's awesome. From what I've read most of the negative reviews on this site are coming from angry fans who can no longer newb tube the whole game or quick scope from across the map and to the exclusion of that in this new title II'd like to start this review off by simply stating forget just about everything you knew about call of duty modern warfare 2 because black opps is here and it's awesome. From what I've read most of the negative reviews on this site are coming from angry fans who can no longer newb tube the whole game or quick scope from across the map and to the exclusion of that in this new title I believe we can all lift our hands to our chests and say amen. Black opps is a refreshing new title that is sure to have a say in the game of the year title right next to halo:reach. Like any game it has it flaws like small technical difficulties some multiplayer mess-ups such as.... Who am I kidding the multiplayer is almost seamless the grenade indicator is much more helpful then in the last game as well as the overall balance in the title. In MW2 it seemed like every gun was incredibly overpowered players even had the ability to dodge bullets with the tactical knife and the right perks. Speaking of which bye bye commando and (exhale breath) rejoice my brothernno more magical teleporting from 30 feet away. Now in all honestly what this game does is deliver a creative multiplayer experience with a masterful campaign filled with a storyline sure to keep you trigger finger happy and an ending that will keep your mind racing. Then just when you think that's too much hello Nazi zombies one of the most famous mini games is back and it's better then ever. Never before have I gotten to see Richard Nixon pump 6 rounds of shotgun shells into a zombie corpse or John f Kennedy blow holes through a hell hound. All in all it's an amazing game with very few flaws lots of great extras and a great campaign. This game in my opinion gets an 9 out of 10. Expand
  88. Nov 21, 2010
    Overall it is a great game with lots of extras with a good campaign and multiplayer. The campaign is one of the best in the series as well as the zombies and dead ops. But multiplayer is what one pushes it to be possibly the best call of duty yet. Despite the graphics which are down a step from mw2 the multiplayer comes through with all its new features. Split-screen online, Cod points (anOverall it is a great game with lots of extras with a good campaign and multiplayer. The campaign is one of the best in the series as well as the zombies and dead ops. But multiplayer is what one pushes it to be possibly the best call of duty yet. Despite the graphics which are down a step from mw2 the multiplayer comes through with all its new features. Split-screen online, Cod points (an in-game currency used to buy a number of things), split screen with AI bots, wager matches, and possibly the best part is a more balanced weapons system. They also bring lots of great maps, weapons, perks, and killstreaks to make it, in my opinion the best call of duty yet. Expand
  89. Nov 19, 2010
    no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!!no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!! *edit* - after 11 days out...3arch/activision listened, most of the problems with this game have been fixed :) Expand
  90. Nov 19, 2010
    Are you all playing the same game I am? This is without doubt the best ps3 game ever created. It's almost like buying 2 games in one with the new zombie mode. It's just an incredible game that everyone should buy and try it out for themselves.
  91. Jan 18, 2011
    I'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks agoI'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks ago when I saw Mythbusters videos of COD:BO on YouTube. COD:BO's single player campaign, while considerably superior to World at War's terrible single player, is still no where near the level of the old IW's "thrill ride" design philosophy. It's basically serviceable and you will enjoy it for what it is. Forgettable characters, absurd plot, good action. The multiplayer is COD:BO's true strength. It seems that Treyarch's mission was to improve from Modern Warfare's online multiplayer and the end result is quite satisfying. Frustrating aspects of Modern Warfare's over-the-top mulitplayer experience have been toned down or removed, leaving a clean and satisfying taste. No one will say that COD:BO pioneers anything in the genre, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Respawn of Bungie's next offering. However, Treyarch's come a LONG way and this game deserves success. Well done, Treyarch. Expand
  92. Feb 8, 2011
    Black Ops in it's own right is a fun game. The story is interesting and is full of memorable (extremelly explosive) set pieces. The online is alright... probably the best part, though I couldn't get into it. They've made it less user friendly than it used to be, now managing multiple types of currency and trying to figure out what stays and what doesnt after prestiging and such. None ofBlack Ops in it's own right is a fun game. The story is interesting and is full of memorable (extremelly explosive) set pieces. The online is alright... probably the best part, though I couldn't get into it. They've made it less user friendly than it used to be, now managing multiple types of currency and trying to figure out what stays and what doesnt after prestiging and such. None of the new stuff is explained in anyway, and the amount of new stuff is so little I was having trouble telling it apart from the last few. The graphics are simply... uglier, both on and offline. Jungle settings are muddy and its hard to tell what is human and what is a rock or tree, and thats without camo. In short Black Ops was doomed from the start. Having to follow the FPS behemoth known as Modern Warfare 2 and even worse having to try and top it. It's definetelly still worth a look, and is better than alot of the other 2010 shooters (Medal of Honor comes to mind). But I ended up returning it after a week or so to get bigger better games. If your one of the 3 people who havn't tried it yet, you may be better off waiting until Infinity Ward release their next addition to the franchise. Here's hoping Treyarch just stop with call of duty and go and make another awesome spiderman game. Spiderman 2 the game is still their masterpiece as far as i'm concerned. Expand
  93. Jan 27, 2011
    This game is so cool. the multiplayer is fenomenal. the compaine can bore me but usually you are having fun. best of the cod series. guns are cool and mods are too. buy if you like a 1st person shooter.
  94. Jan 26, 2011
    Awesome game I would recommend this game to every one. AND FOR EVERY ONE HOW DOESN'T LIKE THIS GAME thats your problem but i really like this game and would give it 100 out of 100
  95. Feb 27, 2011
    Modern Warfare 2 was a great achievement, to say the least. An action-packed campaign, addictive multiplayer, cool guns... How could it get any better? With Black Ops, better is exactly the case. The campaign is shorter, but might be more exciting. Multiplayer is deeper; the new wager match mode is relly fun. And zombie mode is a fun ride with 3 other buddies. Flaws are few and farModern Warfare 2 was a great achievement, to say the least. An action-packed campaign, addictive multiplayer, cool guns... How could it get any better? With Black Ops, better is exactly the case. The campaign is shorter, but might be more exciting. Multiplayer is deeper; the new wager match mode is relly fun. And zombie mode is a fun ride with 3 other buddies. Flaws are few and far between, like occasional connection problems and resolution issues. Buy it, you'll be satisfied. Expand
  96. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care forThis game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care for all of them. Reznov is the epiphany of the word badass! The multiplayer is incredibly simple, but rewardingly difficult to master. It'll suck you in and you'll get thousands of hours out of this game. Expand
  97. Mar 12, 2011
    A very great game, probably the best we've ever played! We think that Treyarch should make more COD games, no let-downs this time, just a normal action video game with story mode, multiplayer and a zombie game.
  98. Mar 16, 2011
    This game is amazing! I mean it! The campaign is the best of the series and the multi-player is awesome! Go and pick this game up RIGHT NOW! I MEAN IT! GO! NOW!
  99. Mar 30, 2011
    Black ops's multiplayer and online play is very good and fun to play. Not to mention Zombies is back and better than ever. World at War was very good but Black Ops is even better. Modern warfare 1 and 2 were such let downs. Im glad Black Ops is out to revive the series.
  100. Nov 18, 2010

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!