Call of Duty: Black Ops PlayStation 3

6.4

1. Nov 21, 2010
    Dissapointing to say the least, this game does not feel any different from MW2, I actually still enjoy MW2 much better. The zombies are lacking and do not stand up to the fun of the W@W zombies. Have not played campaing but i expect it to be pretty good as most COD campaigns are. DO NOT GET THIS GAME, rent it first it is not worth 60$..
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    The single player mode is a mess. They tried to be innovative with all of the back-flashes through interrogation, but it just became a clutter. Next, the zombie game could have used a little more explanation. The World at War zombie game was simple enough. You are in a room, there are zombie, don't die. Now their are a dozen rooms with all kinds of things to purchase, turn on, etc. AThe single player mode is a mess. They tried to be innovative with all of the back-flashes through interrogation, but it just became a clutter. Next, the zombie game could have used a little more explanation. The World at War zombie game was simple enough. You are in a room, there are zombie, don't die. Now their are a dozen rooms with all kinds of things to purchase, turn on, etc. A little tutorial probably would have saved this and there would be no complaint. Finally the multi-player ... actually no complaints there, it is a lot of fun. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2010
    Black Ops is cool. It's cool to own it. It's a COD game. It's good. Nuff said. Treyarch did well his time. It has awesome theater mode, better online multiplayer, better everything.
  4. Dec 19, 2010
    The verdict is in and Black Ops is in line with previous Treyarch second rate disappointments. Zombies? BFD. Give me awesome action and gameplay any day and for that you gotta go to Infinity Ward. That said, the Campaign mode is quite good here, so I'll give 'em points for that.
  5. Nov 10, 2010
    now i liked COD4 as for COD WAW ...eh.. COD MW2 bleck . i was not expecting much of any thing from this game and its pretty much what i got . the graphics do look pretty good . controls are solid . there are some new things for multiplayer . thats about it . the story mode is still far to short with retarded AI enimys who come out in infinite waves . the online is pretty much been therenow i liked COD4 as for COD WAW ...eh.. COD MW2 bleck . i was not expecting much of any thing from this game and its pretty much what i got . the graphics do look pretty good . controls are solid . there are some new things for multiplayer . thats about it . the story mode is still far to short with retarded AI enimys who come out in infinite waves . the online is pretty much been there done that (YAWN) even though they slightly improved it with the credit system itsstill the same old run around like a chicken with your head cut off and shoot every thing that moved much like the bizzilion other online FPS games . treyarch takes no chances to try to wow you they just slightly add a few new things slap a new name on the case and there you go. die hard COD fans im sure will suck this up like a pig in a crap pile . if you where getting bored with COD and was hoping this game would revitilize your love for this game keep on waiting. Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2011
    Review of PS3 Version:

I actually played Black Ops the other day at my girlfriend's house on the 360 and it looked sharper, the colors were more vivid although the graphics are not impressive, the PS3 version looks washed out and the sounds for each gun are terrible. Sounds: Guns are generic and indiscernable between an AK-47, Enfield, an M16 or a Skorpion submachine gun. Suppressors
    Review of PS3 Version:

Sounds:

Guns are generic and indiscernable between an AK-47, Enfield, an M16 or a Skorpion submachine gun. Suppressors make it sound like a paintball gun. It's to the point where you feel like your weapon is underpowered all the while you can't tell them apart anyway in the battlefield. For multiplayer, grenades sound like they got thrown into a basement which come off as muffled and unimpressive.

Killstreaks sound effects like dogs, chopper gunner, etc. have good sound but the overall battlefield sounds take away from the fun and becomes really distracting to people who regilarly played MW2 or BF:BC2.

Graphics:

Graphics were manageable but ugly in Multiplayer. Whats worse is on the PS3 version, the combination of horrible online lag and fugly graphics make a COD as others said "step backward" from IW's MW2 last year. Gameplay:

Treyarch (the company that produced this year's COD game, last year Infinity Ward created Modern Warfare 2 for those whom may not know) made significant improvements (removed the tactical nuke, One Man Army, Commando, Tactical Insertion limited to team based games, Killstrak kills don't count towards Killstreak multiplier, etc.) in theory but the basic gameplay and fluid feel that we were used to in MW2 are non-existent.

Treyarch includes Nazi Zombies, which was interesting but a good way to breakaway from playing MP and SP, added more customization allowing you to create your own emblem with pre made artwork and included new types of MP matches (Wager MAtch to gamble your earnings) but despite all the hype and granduer, it simply suffers from not being able to handle basic tasks as a fun shooter.

For a game hyped as much as this, its a shame that Treyarch could not shake the negative perception of the quality of their games. Any true hardcore gamer or even casual gamer can read past the glowing reviews from gaming sites that conveniently omit any of these major issues on the PS3. The lag makes it impossible to line someone up in your sights to finish a kill, the maps are tiny, create lots of hiding spots for campers and are not conducive to snipers, graphics look sloppy/fugly and the sound of each gun is laughable for a game that set records...again!

Bottom line: I really want to try and enjoy this game. All of the extra new features, Zombie Nazis, the Cold War feel of the SP, cleaning up the cheap tactics from MW2 and improving the MP experience but I can not convince myself that this is a game worth my hard earned money.

I played this game until I reached level 21 in MP and regret I even decided to go that far.

I first got into playing FPS online with my PS3 playing COD4 MW but it seems like Infinity Ward has more polish, ingenuity and skill at making games for the COD series.
  7. Nov 14, 2010
    The worst of this game is supersedes even the best of MW2 in every aspect. It took what MW2 should've been and made it twice as good. I can honestly say this is the first COD that I've played and have actually had "fun". Pick this up guys, it's amazing.
  8. Nov 15, 2010
    WOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And MultiplayerWOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And Multiplayer is awesome with all the NEW THINGS!! (Why change something that's good... Just add more good!!) For those of you who constantly compare graphics to PS2. Go play PS2 and if you still think it looks the same, go see an eye doctor. Sure it's not the BEST graphics out there, but there is nothing wrong with them either. This game deserves a better user rating than a 5.5. If you liked all the other Call of Duty games, you should like this one. (Not sure what MORE ppl are expecting. Maybe next time the prestige package should come with a blow-up doll for you guys! That might cheer you up.) Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    Call of duty Black ops has received more hype than it's predecessor Modern Warfare 2, and as of such many haters have arised because of this.
    Black ops is not a perfect game, but has definately got the best story of any call of duty title, and the multiplayer side of the game is flawed, but contains enough addictivity and content to keep you playing.
    Black ops is set in the middle of the
    Black ops is set in the middle of the cold war, you will take the role of Alex Mason and Jason Hudson for the majority of the campaign. The entire story is told through flashbacks of Mason. It is a very different story unlike the previous COD games, mainly because it feels more like something out of CSI rather than war games. The campaign at times is majorly intense and this is not a good thing seeing as it just seemed like it was non-stop action all the way through, making it exahasting. Though when I finished it, all became clear, and I definately found myself inspired by the campaign, as I do feel more lucky to be alive now i've played it.
    The multiplayer side is rather the same as the previous games, with perks and unlockable guns, but this time you can only unlock guns and abilities through using COD points, the currency of the game.
    You can gain cod points in various ways, a great way is using either contracts, or the fun new wager matches, which basically allow you to gamble your points for more.
    Sadly, while the game has fixed glitches and errors from Modern warfare 2, such as Quick scoping, Continuing killstreaks and over powered weapons, Cod points do sometimes get on your nerves, as you have to buy absolutly everything, and I mean everything, this sometimes makes things no worth bothering to get. The maps are now definately not as camper friendly as in MW2, but the bad side is that while the maps are still large, there are lots of objects in the way, this makes almost impossible to get any value out of using sniper rifles, unless you use an ACOG sight, and even using that won't guarrentee you your money's worth.
    While it is majorly unsniper friendly, and cod points are sometimes annoying, its a solid multiplayer none the less.
    The last main piece of content is Zombies. I felt a bit dissapointed with zombies, the maps you are put in are not very friendly and are quite confusing, they should have included a simple map such as one like Nacht der untoten from World at War. Still, get a few friends together, and it has its moments, though its best to get a Hardened version of the game so that you can get the old classic zombie maps from the previous game.
    Overall, Black ops in its gameplay sense is the same as the last 3 games in the series and now it is starting to show its age, though the multiplayer is darn right addictive, so this is what I say.
    If your looking for a great game, go for World at War, if your looking for an addictive game, go for Black ops
  10. Jul 26, 2011
    When I first got this game I was expecting something different from previous iterations. After a few hours with this game I got pretty bored, it felt like I was playing mw2 or waw. There definitely were some new additions to multiplayer, but these weren't enough to warrant the purchase.
  11. Nov 20, 2010
    Treyarch had a place in everyone's hearts when they released WaW which was mainly down to Zombies and the stellar single player, but their new creation isn't as ground breaking as its predecessor. Due to the fact that they have followed the same formula when creating the same single player, you know the one where it is packed full of cinematic sequences that get you pumped with adrenalineTreyarch had a place in everyone's hearts when they released WaW which was mainly down to Zombies and the stellar single player, but their new creation isn't as ground breaking as its predecessor. Due to the fact that they have followed the same formula when creating the same single player, you know the one where it is packed full of cinematic sequences that get you pumped with adrenaline and makes you feel like a God (of CoD). But although most will enjoy the awesome single player it won't take more than a day to finish the campaign and the story plot is predictable but with a twist or two that you wont guess.

Multiplayer? Well if you were lucky enough to get it at release date then you would probably have enjoyed it with an exception from the annoying matchmaking faults, which are fixed btw. But now that it has been out for a while people have the top weapons which trust me really does make a difference as the last two weapons have barely any recoil and have a crap load of damage which makes for a horrible experience for the lower levels. There is also the fact that the killstreaks area lot lower and a **** load more dangerous plus there is a perk which you can take that lets people get it even faster. Overall the Multiplayer has changed a lot by using credits but they have made the game revolve completely around money which takes out the chance to earn them which makes the game a little bit stingy, the whole Mutiplayer is unbalanced but there is simply know way to fix that, a lot of people are going to get annoyed and frustrated over the Multiplayer so I think Treyarch have let us down there.

As for Zombies the thing has been revamped a bit with the modern feel and new maps, but the mode on a whole as stayed the same which is not good and the maps although nicely made are very hard to survive in, on the plus side though one map lets you play as JFK and Nixon and who wouldn't love that. Dead ops arcade is an excellent edition to the game as well because it is rather fun and those old school gamers out there will absolutely love it.
  12. Nov 19, 2010
    Basically COD 2.5
    CONTAINS no original ideas and really takes the wind out of the last ones sails.
    Good graphics, Great story, but the same damn everything else.
    Shame one you Activision
  13. Dec 5, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is a fun Action packed First Person Shooter that is addicting to play. The single player campaign is as intense as ever as you battle through deadly scenarios set in the cold war. Because this installment is set in the Cold War, Treyarch is no longer limited to WW2 history and the guns they have to design. There is a massive selection of arsenal to use includingCall of Duty: Black Ops is a fun Action packed First Person Shooter that is addicting to play. The single player campaign is as intense as ever as you battle through deadly scenarios set in the cold war. Because this installment is set in the Cold War, Treyarch is no longer limited to WW2 history and the guns they have to design. There is a massive selection of arsenal to use including AK-47's and Ballistic Knife's and the sound design of these guns is probably the best I've heard in the series. The graphics are fantastic to use in both Single player and Multiplayer and some levels in the single player campaign's environments are massive (although you are still restricted to a linear path sadly) and adds to the war intensity of the atmosphere. The character models and faces are so realistic and fluid and the motion capture is so well done. The story is told through flashbacks which can be annoying sometimes because the flashbacks interrupt the game play at times but it is a good way to present the story. I do prefer this campaign to Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer is where this game is at: It seems to be (to me) more balanced than Modern Warfare 2. There's no stupid game ending killstreaks (Tactical Nuke) or stupid AC-130's raining death from above but the RC-XD killstreak can get on my nerves sometimes. The maps are nicely designed and Black Ops brings new equipment to Multiplayer like the Camera Spike and Nova Gas to the mix to make the multiplayer even more interesting. A nice touch is that now you purchase guns, equipment, Perks and weapon attachments with Black Ops currency system instead of unlocking things as you level up. Currency can be earned by regularly playing Multiplayer and getting kills, completing challenges or leveling up. Gambling is introduced into Black Op's in the form of Wager Matches in which you put forward some of your currency and take part in Wager Matches and try to win more currency and this provides some tense battles where you can either win and buy some more stuff or lose and have to build up your currency bank again. The currency system means you can purchase what you want and play the game how you want to play it which is great. This gives you more freedom of choice: What guns you want, what perks you want etc. Customisation is taken further by letting you apply face paints to your character, customise red dot/ reflex sights (colour, sights etc), add your clan tag to your gun, design symbols for your gun and your gun colour pattern which are awesome so you can let your artistic skills go wild and really make your classes your own and unique. There are a few problems though: Treyarch didn't add any new multiplayer modes which is a shame: Black Ops justs cuts and pastes multiplayer modes from MW and MW2 and adds pretty much nothing of it's own. The Zombie Mode from World at War is also present in this game but has received very few tweaks but it provides some co-op fun with your friends. The spawning needs sorting out: At times I seem to spawn and then shortly get killed again. The Chopper Gunner killstreak is really annoying as well: Really frustrating when you spawn and then get killed by a Chopper gunner and then spawn then suddenly get killed again. Some of the matches I've been in have been really laggy and it's such a pain at times. The single player was at times disappointing and doesn't really offer much more than previous Call of Duty games although it does offer some intense set pieces. Call of Duty: Black Ops slices some frustrations from Modern Warfare 2 but the series is starting to grow tired now.â Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    When there are games that are so hyped up and compel you to purchase them and don't live up to their exceptions, you can say you have truly wasted your money.
  15. Nov 9, 2010
    Personally I think it is 100% over-hyped, and an average game at best. Modern Warfare 2 is more fluid and vibrant and more fun to play. Black Ops feels clunky and unresponsive, with dated saturated graphics and glitchy textures. The stereoscopic 3D is very poor as well compared to games like Wipeout HD and Moterstorm which look amazing in 3D. Poor.
  16. Nov 13, 2010
    Played this game at a buddy's house, and watched him play online. Was not impressed, to say the least. Stupid A.I., bland level design, horrid graphics, idiotic storyline, cheap looking and sounding guns, heavily scripted combat, and lackluster, laggy online multiplayer. Nowhere near as good at MW2 (and that's means quite a bit, seeing how the MP in MW2 was unbalanced crap). Stay away.
  17. Nov 26, 2010
    This is the ps3 game of the year. It is so much better then mw2 in almost every way. surprisingly, single player alone is a good resion to buy this game. it feals like a movie at some points of the game and a plot to enjoy to the end. the multiplayer is a HUGE improvment over mw2 (which simply was cod4 with new killstreks) i do not under stand why infinity ward wont try anything new andThis is the ps3 game of the year. It is so much better then mw2 in almost every way. surprisingly, single player alone is a good resion to buy this game. it feals like a movie at some points of the game and a plot to enjoy to the end. the multiplayer is a HUGE improvment over mw2 (which simply was cod4 with new killstreks) i do not under stand why infinity ward wont try anything new and risky. the point system is a breath of fresh air to the overused make 300 kills with a silenser to to get a heat beat sensor.plus NO HARTBEAT SENSOR AND NUKES! my life has been made happier because they are the resion I have stoped playin mw2 . overall there are a few kinks in single player like scrips. overall, i like this game and i think you will like it to. Expand
  18. Nov 28, 2010
    I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic.I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic. Currency and customization are deep and well-done. The new emblem designing is neat (although fewer phalluses and nazi symbols would be great). And zombies and Dead Ops are two game modes I haven't even PLAYED yet. There's quite a bit of content here. I love hte stat counters that appear at the bottom of the mulitplayer menu. Oh, and split screen is nice, even without dual log-in. (patch this in, please?) In short, this game is awesome. It really is. Maybe it's a disappointment to long-time fans, but judging THIS GAME for how good THIS GAME is, it gets a ten. Putting my internet self at risk, I call fanboyism or shenanigans on the low scores. Expand
  19. Nov 29, 2010
    Black ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and forBlack ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and for keeping multiplayer crisp. Plus, zombies! Everybody loves zombies. Expand
  20. Jan 4, 2011
    This game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or theThis game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or the AK74u as these are the most overpowered guns in the game.

The worst thing is - Modern Warfare 2 outclasses this game. And i'm not exaggerating. Modern Warfare 2 has it's flaws but they're a lot more bearable than the ones Treyarch have left in their terrible game. I hope Activision drop Treyarch after this abysmal attempt at what is supposed to be the biggest video game franchise in the world.
  21. Dec 21, 2010
    If you have a fat ps3 do not buy this game. It can possibly (like me) ruin your ps3's bluray drive. Apparently thousands of ps3 owners are having this problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWBNDhV_H8
  22. Nov 13, 2010
    What is going all with all haters? The game is AWESOME!!! Multiplayer is the best! 10/10! And no more cheating streaks and perks like in mw2. Best Game of 2010. And zombies are cool, especially when u playing with your friends!
  23. Feb 2, 2011
    Initially, I felt good about Black Ops. The campaign is well made, albeit a little bit too "HOORAH AMERICA" for my taste, zombie mode is hilarious and fun, and the multiplayer was the most addicting thing I have played since Halo 2 online. At first there were a few weird glitches and bugs in the online multiplayer which I figured would have been ironed out by now. But they have not. AndInitially, I felt good about Black Ops. The campaign is well made, albeit a little bit too "HOORAH AMERICA" for my taste, zombie mode is hilarious and fun, and the multiplayer was the most addicting thing I have played since Halo 2 online. At first there were a few weird glitches and bugs in the online multiplayer which I figured would have been ironed out by now. But they have not. And it's been months. In some ways the bugs, connection issues and just plain weird occurrences in the multiplayer seem to be getting worse and sometimes the game is unplayable online. Out of every 10 or so games I try to join, 8 attempts fail. These issues seem mostly specific to the PS3 version of the game, as I have played it on the Xbox 360 with no problems, and it isn't looking like these issues will be fixed any time soon. Get it on 360 if you can. Expand
  24. Nov 15, 2010
    Well I dont think I have much right to write a review but since I have played the game, I will. When I rented it I went stright for the mulitplayer,and something I loved from the start was the split screen online. Dont know if others had it but that is something I always loved in Halo. It is very fast paced, which leaves the shotgun and sniper rifle pointless. Since the maps were prettyWell I dont think I have much right to write a review but since I have played the game, I will. When I rented it I went stright for the mulitplayer,and something I loved from the start was the split screen online. Dont know if others had it but that is something I always loved in Halo. It is very fast paced, which leaves the shotgun and sniper rifle pointless. Since the maps were pretty small (some) enemies would spawn next to you, in front of you, just around the corner and every other inconvienent spot you can think of. The guns all seem pretty similar, as I never found one i really cared for. The tomahawk was my favorite all around weapon since killing someone with it is BA. Single player lost its split screen ability so i skipped it and zombies was like a very watered down L4D. But that multiplayer, even as I write this I am thinking about it, though I must admit, it was a awesome game, but even just from watching Modern Wafrefare, I felt cheated. Not much seemed different and I feel it could have been a 40 dollar expansion. Fun game, awesome time but I will certainly be sticking to Bad Company 2. Expand
  25. Jan 19, 2011
    I must say I had great expectations for the game. However, my PS3 version just doesn't work well. It's really awful. Constant problems with frame rates, network connections, failed migrations, etc. What a disappointment. I returned to MW2 when I want to play a FPS. I bought this game almost exclusively for the multiplayer.
  26. Dec 2, 2010
    Well what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on everyWell what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on every class just to kill someone. There are however a few let downs. the lag on the PS3 version is unbareable at some points, and the zombie maps do feel a little cramped. there are some annoyances, but i do feel that those i havnt included could be to personal opinion. Overall an amazing game. P.S. i love how responcive Treyarch are to our complaints, and how they work so hard to keep us happy...unlike Infinity Ward. Expand
  27. Nov 9, 2010
    ACTIVISION JUST STOP BEFORE U RUIN IT look i debated whether i would look at metacritic reviews because mw fanboys are going to proclaim it great anyway..irregardless..so this is my 2 cents.... its a good game why a 5 because if you have played mw2, bfbc2, WaW, hell crash cammandos got offline bots, halo got theatre, WaW got zombies, bfbc2 got vehicles...recycled waw zombie maps..... thisACTIVISION JUST STOP BEFORE U RUIN IT look i debated whether i would look at metacritic reviews because mw fanboys are going to proclaim it great anyway..irregardless..so this is my 2 cents.... its a good game why a 5 because if you have played mw2, bfbc2, WaW, hell crash cammandos got offline bots, halo got theatre, WaW got zombies, bfbc2 got vehicles...recycled waw zombie maps..... this game is just those games on 1 disc....i expect a different story and some add ons..because its new anyway....BUT ALL OF THIS IS RECYCLED...if u are new to the genre THIS is a great 65 dollar purchase because u get a little of everything. personally i am disappointed as not much ORIGINAL wuz added. sorry black ops u shouldn't have released until u came with something more...ps. their starting on the next cod...uggghhh... i vote cod/anal rape/every year...as long as we keep buying it...they are not motivated to creative use of a good liscense.......and if got very little DONT BOTHER ...ahem... medal of honor....super ps. bfbc vietnam u have been warned...here is why im angry...other than being an annual basketball/football update with a few new stats and mechanics, if u have or have played, some of the other games u already played this. WaW gave zombies, mw gave us a new era, bf destructible environments and vehicles, mw2 great multiplayer...black ops currency to buy wot i already was getting its just a different way to unlock...W T F!!! FURTHERMORE this game is meant for teens, college kids people who stay in the house and only play cod...i got a life and a job and other games...so i suck because im working and u playing but i should continue to spend my money so u can ALWAYS BE AHEAD AND ALWAYS WIN. NO! I didnt ask u to revolutionize but black ops is a 18 oz steak with 16 oz of fat on it. IM NOT DOING THIS NEXT YEAR. mw2 is still king at least if u win its because u were faster and better not because u played longer and got game given developer made stuff. UR VISION on this game is slight. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Single Player
    Overall good but short. way short, finished in about 5hours of playing over two days. I do run a lot but dang! MW2 took me at least almost a week. levels for the most part are beautiful but very linear. lot less open compared to MW2 which had that even if linear in design i still felt like i could explore and replay in a way different way, black ops no so much. the story was great and was probably the best in the series, but the levels that went with it felt anti climactic. the way they told the story in memories was part of this reason, right when something big was happening at the end of the level it would just fade out and i would be left thinking "and it was just getting awesome." side things were less and not as fun, no climbing up ice walls or sliding down a rope upside down to stab a guy. sling shot was nice but was way early in the game and very easy and short. vehicles were good but definitely not as fun as the ones in MW2. Pacing was off though, a whole lot of action and a whole let down in things that set up the coming battles. swimming ten feet in nam wasn't as cool as riding a torpedo sub thing up to the bottom of an oil rig. Graphics were outstanding other than a cut scene with the SR-71. that scene in particular looked like a HD plane in flying in N64/PS1 space. but other than that minor complaint coming from a 3d artist the levels were great. the jungles were lush and the lighting was fantastic. swinging lamps with dynamic lighting being bounced around while the building shook from explosions really added to the feel. Sound was great with voice acting spot on, minus my personal thoughts of every time going "haha that's Ice Cube and the avatar guy" so overall fun and a good game but by no means i think did it live up to it's hype. glad i'm not a camper, i mean the ones who set up tents outside stores.

which brings me to multiplayer
    Overall great. and different. i could spend all day comparing it to MW2 but i will due my best to only compare the things i noticed the most. yes kill streaks are harder to get which makes them more satisfying to get. but also a little less fun on the operating end. but a whole lot less annoying on the receiving end. at least i can shoot down that heli or that dog in the face. overall balance seems great with a couple stand out guns but you can just go buy it so no worries. customization is fun but i wish camo and reticles weren't all available once you unlock them. it makes the coolest camo way less of a badge of honor to sport. emblems are better at this but still lacking that, yeah i did that and got this and more just oh look what i bought. face paint as far as leveling up and getting more is the best at this i feel and facepaint is fun but wish it was more for gun stuff or more perks or something that effected the gameplay a bit more. the wager matches are a blast and a good change of pace when you are tired of core matches but the disconnected feel makes me not play them too often. yeah you get money but i get way more money just palying a couple good games of domination or HQ. now overall the game feels less hectic in multiplayer. something i kind of liked in MW2, it felt like war. this feels like an older multiplayer experience in actual gameplay. i want a good size nam battle going on online not the lack of jungle in the jungle level. the levels are varied and ok but overall feel very boxed. like i said feels like a dated multiplayer experience. now i am enjoying how it does have it's own unique feel and gameplay but i wouldn't say it stands out as the best. in my tops it might be around 6th or 7th. maybe lower i'd really have to think about that. non the less am enjoying it and playing it a lot mostly because it is new but i feel its staying power will fade with things like bloodlines coming out and next year with things like dead space 2, killzone 3, etc etc. so i give a 7 overall for both single and multiplayer. both get a pass but by no means are they on the honor roll
  29. Nov 26, 2010
    While the Call of Duty gameplay engine is very good, it is starting to wear thin. While there are new bells and whistles, the game (and all of its modes/functions) is largely the same as it was in World At War and Modern Warfare 2. If it isn't broke, don't fix it of course. But this game is a red flag. How much longer will the industry get away with complacently putting out the sameWhile the Call of Duty gameplay engine is very good, it is starting to wear thin. While there are new bells and whistles, the game (and all of its modes/functions) is largely the same as it was in World At War and Modern Warfare 2. If it isn't broke, don't fix it of course. But this game is a red flag. How much longer will the industry get away with complacently putting out the same game each year? While some gamers may already be jaded, others are not yet. But this game demonstrates an alarming tipping point, where the series might fall downhill unless there are significant changes made. Expand
  30. Nov 12, 2010
    It's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and IIt's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and I think it's the highlight of the series and by far the best game. Then came COD WAW which was alright but nothing memorable and after that came COD MW 2. Now that was a good game, not as impressive as COD MW but still a good game that improved on its predecessor in most aspects, a worthy sequel. I was expecting at least this much from Black Ops, to be a worthy sequel. I didn't care about what studio (treyarch, infinity ward) made what, I was just expecting a good COD game but unfortunately BO is not a good COD game. It is just another alright FPS like COD WAW but that's all it is, nothing more. In fact this game is a class down from COD MW 2. The visuals are worse. Some textures look really bad and there is an overall luck of detail. The environments although varied are unimpressive. The same old factories, abandoned facilities, wrecked buildings and some outside environments that we'seen before again and again. Honestly people who say that the graphics are better than MW2 even MW need their eyes checked.
    The story that's supposedly interesting is nothing more than the flashbacks of a CIA operative's memories. People question you about topic A and you are taken to a battle. Then there is topic B and another battle. The battles don't have a start or a finish. You are thrown into a chaos of bullets and fight your way out. You feel very rushed and can't enjoy it. It seems as if they sew together random firefights and big set pieces just for the sake of impression. The sounds are bad. The weapons don't sound powerful enough and don't feel powerful either. The explosions are generic. The smoke is last gen. In fact this game seems like a last gen game with a next gen makeup.
    The good thing about this game is the multiplayer which basically steels most ideas from MW2 and adds a few things on top. It is enjoyable and much easier than MW2 but on the bad side there are lots of disconnections. Overall I'd say rent first.
  31. Nov 10, 2010
    The customization is great... Otherwise its just a 60$ carbon copy of MW2 with antiquated weapons. The really could have tried a little harder but with the popularity of the last title I guess they really didn't have to.
  32. Nov 19, 2010
    no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!!no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!! *edit* - after 11 days out...3arch/activision listened, most of the problems with this game have been fixed :) Expand
  33. Nov 13, 2010
    Just what you'd expect out of CoD. It's not different at all but it's still just as fun as every other CoD out there. If your complaining that the game sucks then why would you buy it when you knew that CoD is the almost the same each and every year. BUT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!1
  34. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs areCall of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs are a one hit one kill, and that evens it out. CAMPAIGN: The story mode in black ops is brillant it is very well planned out, And I can say if you loved the series "24" you will absolutely love this game! It takes a complete different and I think much better way then any call of duty game EVER. Now the main character is sam Worthington from *shiver in disgust* avatar ,but other then his girlish screaming and disability to keep a steady American accent if comes though.

ZOMBIE MODE: There is nothing more i can say about zombie but if you loved the hell out of the original zombie you will love this one ven more!

Overall: this game is well worth the money It perfect other then a little beat of graphic issues ( same ones MW2 had) But therefore it is a close to perfect game. I am rating it a ten because 9 is way too harsh my official score is )( 9.8 ()
  35. Mar 3, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the most unbalanced and poorly constructed games on the market today, but it also happens to be very addicting. Unfortunately that means that there's going to be more like it in the future.
  36. Nov 17, 2010
    Black ops is a HUGE step back for the series. I was very excited to play this, but when it arrived and I had tested it out I immediately could tell this was a downgrade. The graphics are sub par. SUB PAR!!?! For a HUGE budget game? Simply unacceptable. Not to mention the broken multiplayer. Shotguns take at least 2 hits no matter how close. Thats simply stupid. Does not live up to hype
  37. Dec 10, 2010
    i think call of duty, is an outstanding game, the graphics on it is just unbelivable, you will be shocked at how they make the graphics on this game because it seems impossible, they've spent so much time on this game, and it has payed off extremely good, the gameplay on it is amazing, everything about COD is just good, i think trechyard has showed the ability to make games in the past 2i think call of duty, is an outstanding game, the graphics on it is just unbelivable, you will be shocked at how they make the graphics on this game because it seems impossible, they've spent so much time on this game, and it has payed off extremely good, the gameplay on it is amazing, everything about COD is just good, i think trechyard has showed the ability to make games in the past 2 COD's they have done, if everyone is moaning about COD i suggest u all should fix up, why dont you try making this game and see how hard it is? COD black ops is so much different to all the other COD's , for me COD 4 is still the best COD, but they have made a big improvment on this one, Trechyard should be proud of thereselves, The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brillliant and the customization options are incredibble, if ur looking for shooter games, i suggest you buy this!, you will be hooked on it all the time, once you play it, its like one of them games where you just carry on playing it until you get what you need, the achievments on here are fantastic, and i think the guns have made progress aswell from the last CODS, if u want a really good game to play i recommend this to all of you. Expand
  38. Jan 14, 2011
    This game is an amazing shooter! The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD entries and is nice and all but we all know that the primary sell point for COD is the great multiplayer experience! The game is exceptionally well made, graphics, story, etc.
  39. Nov 19, 2010
    I got this game the day it came out and have been playing it since then so far from my experience I have decided that this game is ultimately a step down! Everyone raving about the hype on this game wherever you turn, but the real story is that the game is quite lacking and hopefully its garbage enough. Graphics, sound design, and AI characteristics are not so good! At least have betterI got this game the day it came out and have been playing it since then so far from my experience I have decided that this game is ultimately a step down! Everyone raving about the hype on this game wherever you turn, but the real story is that the game is quite lacking and hopefully its garbage enough. Graphics, sound design, and AI characteristics are not so good! At least have better graphics and sound design. At what point does intensity just become annoying... with an explosion every two seconds and being knocked down with fuzzy vision 3 times a level and more bullets flying than were fired in all of WW2... I'd say it's a bit too much, but hey more is better for some people. So you probably better of buying another war game. The multiplayer game mechanic is solid, obviously but that's not enough to raise this latest effort. Feels like a rubbish map expansion pack of Mw2 with added in crap. Single player is very average and the multiplayer is riddled with issues. Single player is horrible as it is still plagued by horrible air, but this time the problem lies with programmers as well. I donâ Collapse
  40. Nov 26, 2010
    hello people this my first review so here i go when i played this game the game was hard because your a frist timer playing this game then when you play the game for a long time you get used to and then there the real action the game is amazing and the quality of the game is brillant it like your in the game real life and it is a wonderful fellin so thank you for listing and bye
  41. Dec 3, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is an action packed game which is extremely interesting to play. It is also a very addictive game which proves how good the game is also the graphics on the game is fantastic. The sound quality is just so real but the disappointment iof the game is that there is not much difference from call of duty modern warfare either than that it is a very impressive game to play.
  42. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of duty black ops is a good game if you like thriller and intense gaming this game lacks a lot of potential and also it is very life like if you like games which show really good and a lot of graphics show then this is the game This game is an amazing shooter The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD and is nice and all the main point of this game is the great multiplayer. The best thing about call of duty black ops is the weapon ranges and the character building also there is a lot different matches such as a wage match which lets you play the game in multiplayer mode but the downside to this kind of match is if someone knifes you in the back the all your money that you have earned goes to that player in this type of game it learns you to be quick on your feet with the player also be very stealth and you also have to watch your back as you could get stabbed this game gives a lot of qualities out to other people. This game is rated 9/10 because of everything it has this game can be quite addicting after you have played it once there is another type of match and that is death match this is when you and another team has to shoot each other you can either be red or blue more people you kill more points you get but if you kill 1 after 1 then it is called a strike and you can get prizes such as a helicopter or some type. Expand
  43. Nov 26, 2010
    Call of Duty black ops is over all an okay game. Graphically wise it looks very out dated compared to a lot of the newer titles these days. Guns sound great, some of the voice acting and dialogue is a little stupid sounding in campaign, but its still ok. Campaign story seems like it's too mixed up you go back in time you go forth in time and the whole process keeps repeating it just seemsCall of Duty black ops is over all an okay game. Graphically wise it looks very out dated compared to a lot of the newer titles these days. Guns sound great, some of the voice acting and dialogue is a little stupid sounding in campaign, but its still ok. Campaign story seems like it's too mixed up you go back in time you go forth in time and the whole process keeps repeating it just seems out of order. It was set up poorly but for what its worth it is still decent.
    As for multiplayer it's hard to make something better when it's already been nearly perfected but for what it's worth adding more depth to the multiplayer and zombie mode are probably the saving graces of this title.
  44. Dec 8, 2010
    Way over rated people. Who is giving these 10's, 15 year olds?!

If you are over 21 years old, and have ANY experience playing FPS (Battlefields, Half life mods, etc..) then you will throw up in your mouth playing this piece of crap.

Save your money, play it at your friends house. It sucks!
  45. Nov 11, 2010
    I've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player isI've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player is something different but a welcomed change. In essence, it does feel like a COD game...with a new map pack but the way they go about trying to make fresh changes, it has stepped above the rest and ventured out on it's own. Don't listen to the haters. If there is one thing in my life to be revered about, it's my honesty. I promise that if you give B.O some time, you WILL love it. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  46. Nov 9, 2010
  47. Jan 17, 2011
    This is my second CoD game after CoD 1. I have only played the multi-player games and I love it. I don't y ppl are rating it so low.
  48. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of duty: Black Ops was one of the most hyped games known to the gaming community. But when i play this game it reminds me of another version of World at War. When I play this game i still see the crappy graphics that COD5 had. Sadly this game did not live up to the "excitement" that was created when it came out. On the positive side, it is a new game and yes there are someCall of duty: Black Ops was one of the most hyped games known to the gaming community. But when i play this game it reminds me of another version of World at War. When I play this game i still see the crappy graphics that COD5 had. Sadly this game did not live up to the "excitement" that was created when it came out. On the positive side, it is a new game and yes there are some positives. No more quick-scoping,, painkiller, and painkiller. The weapons are changed around for the good. And the kill streaks do not stack on top of each other to encourage campers. It is nice to see a new game on the market and it unites the gaming community. I still have faith, only time will tell how this game turns out. Expand
  49. Nov 9, 2010
    This review is solely based on the mutiplayer aspect of the game since Im expecting the solo campaign to be much of a muchness in terms of call of duty, ive never really been blown away or bored into sleep with the campaign modes on any cod games before, feature wise the game brings a lot to the table, in fact I dont even know where to begin, features everywhere, not to sure about theThis review is solely based on the mutiplayer aspect of the game since Im expecting the solo campaign to be much of a muchness in terms of call of duty, ive never really been blown away or bored into sleep with the campaign modes on any cod games before, feature wise the game brings a lot to the table, in fact I dont even know where to begin, features everywhere, not to sure about the credit system where you win credits to buy features but well see, map wise there is a good variety of them and from what ive seen all provide exactly what youd expect from cod multiplayer games which is intense in your face mayhem, be it from a distance, down an alley or right up shotgunned in your face :) what i feel does however let the game down is the graphics, yet again treyarch dont seem to be able to provide a cod game with polished graphics, mw2 was far superior in that department, it really spoiled the experience for me. The zombie mode made me laugh the most, as soon as it starts, nazi flags in front of you that look so blocky it reminds me of the old wolfenstein games from the 90's. All in all though a half decent effort that wont dissapoint if your into cod games... if your not expecting mw2 with new features that is... Expand
  50. Jan 18, 2011
    I'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks agoI'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks ago when I saw Mythbusters videos of COD:BO on YouTube. COD:BO's single player campaign, while considerably superior to World at War's terrible single player, is still no where near the level of the old IW's "thrill ride" design philosophy. It's basically serviceable and you will enjoy it for what it is. Forgettable characters, absurd plot, good action. The multiplayer is COD:BO's true strength. It seems that Treyarch's mission was to improve from Modern Warfare's online multiplayer and the end result is quite satisfying. Frustrating aspects of Modern Warfare's over-the-top mulitplayer experience have been toned down or removed, leaving a clean and satisfying taste. No one will say that COD:BO pioneers anything in the genre, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Respawn of Bungie's next offering. However, Treyarch's come a LONG way and this game deserves success. Well done, Treyarch. Expand
  51. Dec 13, 2010
    After playing this game since release, I know feel I am ready to voice my opinions on this release. As is my standard way with any COD release, I play the campaign first just to get it out of the way. This is not why we buy this series its the online we want. However the offline campaign tends to give you an general overview of the production. The first thing that struck me was the drop inAfter playing this game since release, I know feel I am ready to voice my opinions on this release. As is my standard way with any COD release, I play the campaign first just to get it out of the way. This is not why we buy this series its the online we want. However the offline campaign tends to give you an general overview of the production. The first thing that struck me was the drop in graphical quality from MW2, which I finally put down to a poor selection for the colour palette used in the majority of stages. The campaign for me dragged in the first half and just took to long for what play and content there was, the final half was completed easily in an hour which gave the feeling of the final production being rushed. But any Call Of Duty game will always be judged on its online game play. First impressions were good, but it soon starts to feel like MW2 with new maps and the levels with the still very poor colours are still there which lets it down. A good feature is that you can vote to replay or play the next map or random selection, this has meant I have been able to avoid the levels which are graphical unimpressive. The major down side of the online, connection problems, host problems, servers not being available or going down which is extremely annoying when you want to get a good evening of gaming in. Now, for the what I think is the pure genius revolution of this game over MW2 - Combat Training. This option is absolutely fantastic and redeems this game! Server problems, host problems, connection issues when playing online? No problem, fire up Combat Training and play bots on your favourite map. I actually enjoy this more than real online play, its so satisfying and more addictive than the real thing. To sum up, its overall a good game let down by a rushed and confusing campaign mode, and poor hosting online. Combat Training saves the day but once I reach the top rank once I will have had enough. I will then be back to Medal of Honor and COD4, with a cheeky visit for Combat Training every now and again. Expand
  52. Jan 6, 2011
    This game is the best of all Call Of Dutys, the Nazi Zombies mode in this game are so creepy, but also so fun. All the bumtards out there talking smack about Black Ops, screw you
  53. Nov 14, 2010
    Graphics: They wanted a game running at 60 FPS, so it's not a big surprise that the graphics are not really amazing. It's OK.

Sounds: I played Black Ops right after playing MOH and let me tell you, the sounds in COD:BO are FAR behind. Every gun sound in Black Ops sounds just like a Nailgun. And the music is terrible as well. Singleplayer: What I hated the most about the single player is

Singleplayer: What I hated the most about the single player is closely related to how I play FPS games in general. I tend to stay back a bit and eliminate ennemies BEFORE rushing in a room full of enemies. The problem is that the flow of ennemies never ends and you can easily spend 20 minutes trying to clean a corridor before you realize that. Maybe if my buddies would rush in after some time (like Halo:Reach for instance) or if there was any sound indications (like MOH) it would have worked just fine. Multiplayer: Nothing new. Really. "Wager Match" is probably the best addition to the multiplayer. Should you buy it: If you have MW2, not really. In fact, if you do have doubts about the game (and that's probably why you're reading this right now), maybe you should try it before purchasing it.
  54. Nov 10, 2010
    It's simple. MW2 scored a 9 for me. In comparison, Black Ops just doesn't measure up. Graphics look less realistic, campaign is weaker, multiplayer is pretty much the same (definitely not any better). I'm just more excited for the next Infinity Ward edition now.

For COD fans, this is fun and new, but if you didn't like COD before, this will definitely not get you on the band wagon. In conclusion, this game was worth the $49.99 deal I got, but I'm thankful I didn't pay $59.99 or $64.99 (Gamestop rip off).
  55. Nov 9, 2010
    Wonderful array of options. Superbly balance weapons and perks. Great variety of multiplay game and game modes. However no 'X' factor. Overall a solid game which isn't as slick as the 'supposed' broken modern warfare 2.
  56. Nov 10, 2010
    This a fun game. It lacks the proper sound effects and graphics of this generation. I've put in a few hours of each the campaign and multiplayer. Unfortunately, the online playing was lagging and did not make it a fun experience. I have high hopes for this game, once it runs as smooth as MW2. The sound effects really kill me and caused me not to rate it as a 9.

Think of it as an add-on

Think of it as an add-on to MW. If you're like me, addicted to MW2, then you will probably like this game.
  57. Dec 20, 2010
    This game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but that's not saying much.

This game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but that's not saying much.

First of all, the campaign mode. I played on veteran difficulty and it is no less frustrating here than any other Call of Duty game. You die from two bullets, three if you're lucky. Every enemy targets you and completely ignores your AI friends. But that is to be expected. The story of the campaign is confusing to say the least. It is more a psychological action/thriller type thing rather than a shooter. At the end of the game I only vaguely knew what was going on.

Zombies is quite good. I have nothing to say about that. It's pretty enjoyable.

Multiplayer is a step up from Modern Warfare 2 in some ways, a step down in others. First I'll say what is better. Killstreaks don't add to each other anymore, so there are much less chopper gunners around. Noob tubes are much fewer. You no longer need to complete challenges to get attachments so there is absolutely no need to boost anymore.

Now for the bad things. The spawns in this game are terrible. You will literally spawn next to three enemies who will kill you as soon as you move. And I do mean literally. I have a clip of me spawning next to three enemies who shot me as soon as I spawned. I also have a clip of me being killed, then spawned in front of the guy who killed me with my back to him and he killed me again. You can add me on PSN derp_derp_derp and see it in my fileshare.

Also, compared to Modern Warfare 2, it takes a lot more bullets to kill someone, and if you use a silencer, you can expect to expend an entire clip to kill someone.

While on the topic of taking more bullets to kill someone, this game employs more luck than skill. You'll notice that sometimes you sneak up on someone, get the drop on them and start shooting, you'll get hitmarkers while they turn around, put two bullets in you and kill you. Sometimes I'm the victim of this, sometimes I get a kill with two bullets. So I can only say this is luck. It's entirely possible that if you start shooting your enemy and he returns fire after being shot, he'll kill you. Who shoots first is not an issue in this game. It is almost all luck.

As for perks, they're fairly good, though most people will go through games without getting the pro versions. I'm almost prestige and I have maybe 4 pro perks. There is a big problem with getting pro perks. I agree with these challenges because they encourage lots of different activities, however, some of them depend on others instead of you. For example, getting flak jacket pro requires you to throw back 5 grenades. The problem with that is you depend on others using frags, which is hard because everyone uses semtex. Also for Ghost pro you need to destroy a sentry gun, which is also hard because sentry gun is one of the least used killstreaks.

Finally, sniping is totally worthless now. So are shotguns. All I have to say is, this game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but not by much. The only people who I think should buy this game are people who are experts/professionals at shooters, not the average gamer like me, someone who is very very lucky, or someone who enjoys being frustrated. If you fit one or more of the above descriptions, then get this game, otherwise, rent it or skip it.
  58. Nov 9, 2010
    This is best Call of Duty to date due to it's shift to the more hardcore player, as Modern Warfare 2 allowed even the beginner to breeze through the game without any trouble. This is not the case in Black Ops, one must actually possess "skill" in order to be successful.
  59. Dec 15, 2010
    What is really odd is that this game has easily the most split community i have ever seen. Before its release, the majority was saying that this game could make MW2 look like a beta. Closer to release, people started saying that they have had enough of COD and were going avoid this one. Now that its here, people cant decide if they like it or not. You either think MW2 was better (whichWhat is really odd is that this game has easily the most split community i have ever seen. Before its release, the majority was saying that this game could make MW2 look like a beta. Closer to release, people started saying that they have had enough of COD and were going avoid this one. Now that its here, people cant decide if they like it or not. You either think MW2 was better (which that dosnt make sense, because no matter where u looking someone was bashing MW2 for being "too glitched" or "has too many fanboys". or you love this game. It the context of things, this game really will make hardcore fans cringe or jump for joy. What should be said is that this game looks fantastic. Comparison to MW2, this game tried to hold back on the polished visuals for the realistic sense, but still looks amazing. Its useless to go on about gameplay, you either love it or hate it, simple as that. Story in my opinion is better because you focus on one person, not multiple sides. This makes the story flow and you feel more for the characters then jumping back and forth from one person to the next. Mulitplayer is the big selling point, but also is why most people are split. For the first time, a COD game incorporated some RPG element into the game, letting you customize everything but the shape of your body. There is now a money system, where you gain 'money' after a match and completing challenges. These may be to much for the hardcore shooter fans who only want to kill and not worry about how much that new gun is going to cost. I grew up with RPGs, while i dont play them anymore i do appreciate the customization and freedom you have, you really do feel like its your person now. The maps are very well done, though some are more popular then others. One thing i noticed is just how many ideas are taken from another big shooter franchise, Halo. The ability to 'vote' on the map you play next and heavy customization are almost identical to the system Halo: Reach uses. This is not a bad thing, this system is really good, but it feels like some elements were pretty much stolen. The last part to this game is Zombies, made popular to WaW. Only this time you can play online with up to 4 people. This is my favorite part of the pack, very addictive and fun. This game feeling like your are being given three games in one, and you have a 1 out of 3 chance of finding something you like. Is this game perfect for everyone? No, as you can see by the mulitiple 'negative' and 'mixed' reviews, not everyone feels the same about this game. You might want to rent this game first, then if you like it buy it because it will give you hours upon hours of entertainment, then if you dont then no worries, just return it. Expand
  60. Nov 17, 2010
    best game ever for online it is nonstop fun i dont think u can not have fun in this game it is amazing all the new stuff they added makes u trying to get em plus the perks are more balanced now and it is just very good and the chopper gunner looks way way more better because u can see the map its beautiful
  61. Nov 17, 2010
    i was greatfully dissapointed over this, the start doesnt give any clear explantions as to what is actually happneing you just thrown straight into a gun fight. the story line is bland and doesnt devier well like modern warfare 2. there is no point in playing again eaither as you get no replay vaule it that dull. and with only one online game its slightly pointless one at that.
  62. Dec 3, 2010
    how do you delete a review or your account? ****
  63. Nov 9, 2010
    I realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has beenI realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has been excellent. I have only played multiplayer thus far as that is primarily the reason I play FPSs and, I can say unequivocally, Black Ops is light years ahead of Modern Warfare 2. The first Modern Warfare is a close second for favorite game of this generation and, as such, I had held high hopes for MW2 but it disappointed me on every front. Needless to say, Black Ops gets COD back on track for me. So far, I have experienced none of the rage-inducing bugs and glitches of MW2 and the MP maps are excellent. I am fine with Black Ops system of adding perks. It is not perfect but is infinitely superior to MW2's perk system, which was another major source of aggravation related to that game. I whole-heartedly recommend Black Ops to COD veterans but that's preaching to the choir. I highly recommend the game for any FPS or MP fan as well. Expand
  64. Nov 9, 2010
    OUTSTANDING in every way! Fascinating single player campaign story and multiplayer rocks. Wager Match is the BEST! I absolutely love this game! It's the BEST CALL OF DUTY EVER!
  65. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops has worse music than Modern Warfare 2 (and even worse than World at War), but it's compensed with the best campaign mode in the series, tons of extras (Zombies Mode, Dead Ops Arcade, descriptions of the characters/missions in intel...) and the best multiplayer mode in the series too.
  66. Nov 9, 2010
    An amazing upgrade to the last game taking the best parts from w@w and mw2 and creating a well balanced online experience. A variety of new maps and de buffing to remove the unfair advantages that plagued the previous games. Obviously treyarch have spent time listening to the community with the addition of split screen as well as the well thought out currency system.
  67. Nov 9, 2010
    Overall, this is a step down from Modern Warfare 2. I think a lot of people are too caught up in the hype to take an objective view. I'm not claiming I'm the objective one, but this game is unworthy of all the 10 out of 10 scores fanboys are so eager to slap on it. On the positive side, Theater Mode seems like a cool idea. I'd love to have a record of any epic moments. Unlocking manyOverall, this is a step down from Modern Warfare 2. I think a lot of people are too caught up in the hype to take an objective view. I'm not claiming I'm the objective one, but this game is unworthy of all the 10 out of 10 scores fanboys are so eager to slap on it. On the positive side, Theater Mode seems like a cool idea. I'd love to have a record of any epic moments. Unlocking many items, upgrades, and perks through purchases is a plus for me as well. The weak graphics are an embarrassment to the makers. I think the game would look pretty much the same in standard definition. Back in 2004, these graphics might have been neat-o, but in 2010 they're a bit hokey. The sound is also disappointing. Most everything that explodes, as an example, has a sort of generic "pop." With regard to gameplay, I agree with another reviewer who said Black Ops feels clunky and unresponsive, lacking the smoothness and fluidity I now realize I took for granted in Modern Warfare 2. As a matter of fact, Black Ops' biggest impact on me has been to help me realize just how great MW2 is. A few minutes ago--and without remorse--I decided to sell my copy of Black Ops to a friend. There are too many good PS3 games out there for me to force myself to love a mediocre one. Expand
  68. Nov 9, 2010
    Awesome game! I don't understand all the haters? The graphics and voice acting is amazing. I loved the story, yes it's a little different but entertaining and well done. The multi-player credit system is brilliant and the customization options are incredible. I'm not even talking about the Zombie mode which is super. Wonderful game if you're a COD or shooter fan.
  69. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is the biggest piece of garbage, ever since Activision made the mistake by letting Treyarch develop call of duty games. They really hit an all time low by re-skining the same game. Your bascially buying call of duty 4 for $60. Its like buying halo reach which is the same game!. The game engine is just an enhanced IW4.0 engine. Nothing new. The biased critics gave the review toThis game is the biggest piece of garbage, ever since Activision made the mistake by letting Treyarch develop call of duty games. They really hit an all time low by re-skining the same game. Your bascially buying call of duty 4 for $60. Its like buying halo reach which is the same game!. The game engine is just an enhanced IW4.0 engine. Nothing new. The biased critics gave the review to high of a score. They were bribed or just plain old sucking some ****. I was a call of duty fan since the first game came out made by infinity ward. But since they fired the original creators and half of the employee's left infinity ward. Call of duty is garbage now. You guys can keep buying garbage games made by Treyarch. I'll stick to superior FPS games like battlefield bad company 2 and medal of honor. It really is sad. I USED to be a call of duty fan. Expand
  70. Nov 9, 2010
    Frankly this game is disappointing. The multiplayer game mechanic is solid, obviously but that's not enough to raise this latest effort from the pit of mediocrity it languishes in. And let's face it.. the graphics are atrocious. This game was supposed to be a cut above mwf2, not a huge step down. It's not as fluid an experience either, instead of the polished, clicking mwf2 fun machineFrankly this game is disappointing. The multiplayer game mechanic is solid, obviously but that's not enough to raise this latest effort from the pit of mediocrity it languishes in. And let's face it.. the graphics are atrocious. This game was supposed to be a cut above mwf2, not a huge step down. It's not as fluid an experience either, instead of the polished, clicking mwf2 fun machine that was expected, this game for all it's good points just goes.... clunk. Expand
  71. Nov 9, 2010
    Underwhelming... a lot of cool new content but it feels crammed in. The graphic design is cheap & not clear, game play not as vibrant as MW2. Feels more of an arcade shoot-em-up then MW2 does.
  72. Nov 9, 2010
    Treyarch is the poor mans call of duty maker.

The game despite using the same graphics engine as the butter smooth running mw2 stutters and suffers from bad framerates, The campaign is a horrible missmatch of playing for a minute then watching a horrible in game graphics fmw then playing for a minute then.. well you know what.

Leave call of duty to infinity ward please.
  73. Nov 9, 2010
    I thought the game was great. Its by far better than MW2. The campaign is great, Nazi Zombies is back and better than ever, and the Multiplayer is balanced.
  74. Nov 9, 2010
    well after a single session this game looks and feels like a reskinned world at war, which to me was awful.

the game feels slow, unpolished and sounds terrible. grenades appear to be ineffective and the smoke looks awful. I hate to hate, but I would say save ur money or try a friends copy b4 investing as this game just doesn't seem to work.
  75. Nov 9, 2010
    HORRIBLE graphics. Clunky gameplay. Poor sound. It's a MAJOR step back for COD. I'm very, very disappointed. I definitely wouldn't recommend this game...
  76. Nov 10, 2010
    Very disappointing game. Feels like a rubbish map expansion pack of Mw2 with added in crap. Single player is very average and the multiplayer is riddled with issues.
  77. Nov 10, 2010
    The single player lives up to the Call of Duty high end gameplay with smart AI and stunning visuals. However, the multiplayer, in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 is substandard and certainly a step back in terms of overall enjoyment, entertainment and sense of achievement. A bizarre new "COD Points" system is hard to understand and will confuse first timers. The graphics in Multiplayer toThe single player lives up to the Call of Duty high end gameplay with smart AI and stunning visuals. However, the multiplayer, in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 is substandard and certainly a step back in terms of overall enjoyment, entertainment and sense of achievement. A bizarre new "COD Points" system is hard to understand and will confuse first timers. The graphics in Multiplayer to me were pretty dreadful. Were talking the latest and greatest COD on a HD 1080p Samsung and it felt like i was playing World at War on a CRT. Certainly does not live up to the hype. Expand
  78. Nov 10, 2010
    I understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paintI understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paint being slapped on every November. As long as it feels and plays like a Call of Duty game should, I'm happy to stand in a cold-ass Gamestop line at 1 in the morning to fork over my 60 bucks. Expand
  79. Nov 10, 2010
    Singleplayer is horrible as it is still plagued by horrible ai, but this time the problem lies with programmers as well. There isn't even close to enough triggers on the maps to make the teammates to appear even semi real. Finding the trigger point after flanking enemies can be pain. On top of that the respawning enemies still exist and teammates are still firing blanks at a guy standing 3Singleplayer is horrible as it is still plagued by horrible ai, but this time the problem lies with programmers as well. There isn't even close to enough triggers on the maps to make the teammates to appear even semi real. Finding the trigger point after flanking enemies can be pain. On top of that the respawning enemies still exist and teammates are still firing blanks at a guy standing 3 feet from you completely visible.

Multiplayer is faster due to making snipers unusable which is good in a arcade shooter like this and the game modes can be conceived as fun. I don't think its enough to merit buying the game if you own mw1, mc2 or even mw2.
  80. Nov 10, 2010
    I'll have to agree with most of the other naysayers as this game is just not as polished or refined as we have come to expect from the Infinity-Ward COD:MW series. While I do like the story line better than MW2 as that one was just too "over-the-top", it's still not nearly as intense as the original MW. I had high hopes that Treyarch would be able to pickup where IW left off but it justI'll have to agree with most of the other naysayers as this game is just not as polished or refined as we have come to expect from the Infinity-Ward COD:MW series. While I do like the story line better than MW2 as that one was just too "over-the-top", it's still not nearly as intense as the original MW. I had high hopes that Treyarch would be able to pickup where IW left off but it just isn't there. Maybe we'll get lucky and former IW guys will come out with their own new series. Expand
  81. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then getI have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. Expand
  82. Nov 10, 2010
    Frame rate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of youFrame rate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of you killing you and you don't hear anything!!! I would not **** as much if the game was at least fluid , but it controls clunky and just like WAW!! They just used the same mechanics with new guns that's all! And since they used the same graphics engine from more than 2 years ago and they tried to add more detail they ended up making everything blurry it looks almost like you're playing in standard definition TV and also as a result causing the game's frame rate to constantly drop giving you a headache if you play too long. This is coming from a guy that has played previous installments to death and was very much looking forward to this one. I'm so angry and disappointed . I mean Activision should have the funds to make a graphics engine from the ground up and could have made the game run and look at least as smooth as MW2. Now we're stuck with a mediocre COD game until who knows!!!!! Expand
  83. Nov 10, 2010
    The gaming industry journalism is at it's lowest these days. A game like this having so many 100% is completely ridiculous.

Con 1 - AI is incredibly stupid. 2 - Physic system is completely inconsistent. Enemie shot dead fall trought walls or barricades ?! 3 - Veteran mode is completely ridiculous. 4 - Online experience is still a dodging grenade simulator like Modern warf 2 5 -

Con
    1 - AI is incredibly stupid.
    5 - Small maps
    6 - Already cheaters on day one ...

Pro
    1 - Zombie mode
    2 - Graphics
    3 - Acting
    4 - Weapons

Very good challenger to whom who want to take time and give a try is Medal of Honor and Bad company 2
    Specially Bad company 2 seem to be lightyear in front of Call of duty Black Ops.
  84. Nov 10, 2010
    Well, before i take out my Like MW2 but... stamp, oh who we kidding, this is just MW2 with RC cars!
    Honestly though, the gameplay is almost an exact replica of MW2, just including a few different or reworked weapons. However, i do applaud Treyarch for implementing the new system for getting attatchments, i do prefer the money system as opposed to trying to get 40 headshots just to unlock a certain attatchment. The Contract system is ingenius, causing players to have new challenges in which to keep gameplay active. Chopper kill streaks, something i've never enjoyed since MW came out, still seem annoying and incredibly overpowered, nothing like spawning and dying over and over again while trying to shoot your launcher to destroy it. The default Rocket launcher only comes with one bullet, so save using scavenger or dying your SOL destroying any killstreaks that will rape you over and over. The fact that Ghost/Cold blooded doesnt prevent you from being invisible from AI controlled choppers causes an eye twitch that can only be defined as "unhealthy". Launch day was ripe with lag and bugs, and from everyone i've been speaking to it seems to frame chop at the worst of times.

Anyone noticed that the spawn AI in this game is abysmally horrible? Spawn zones are incredibly random and poorly chosen, often sticking you within view of multiple enemies or spawning you at the same time within spitting distance of the other team. The change back to dedicated servers has made my pants incredibly happy, giving you an excellent choice of what gameplay you'd enjoy playing, however more information to view the server is something i'd like to see implemented, does the server play a mix of game modes? where is it located, whats the IP? it seems the console join command doesnt work. you can't join a friend on a server that is alread in progress, he has to send you the invite otherwise you have to manually find the server in the browser. The ability to make parties is gone, which is something i'd like to see put back in to make it easier to join/find matches with a group of friends.

Overall it will be a decently solid game if they fix the lag and spawn issues but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I paid my peices of silver and plan to enjoy it, however i'm dissapointed with the end product and makes me believe that treyarch is going to need a few well placed staff changes in their programming and balancing departments before i'll consider them a "worthy developer"
  85. Nov 10, 2010
    I don't understand all you people giving this game a 10. I love MW2 and the Call of Duty series but please Black Ops is garbage. I mean the campaign is fine but the online multiplayer is horrible. 1. Graphics seem like PS2. 2. Sound FX are awful. 3. The game engine Treyarch uses sucks. 4. It's produced by Treyarch. 5. Gameplay seems speed up 1x and is clunky. 6. When you melee someone theI don't understand all you people giving this game a 10. I love MW2 and the Call of Duty series but please Black Ops is garbage. I mean the campaign is fine but the online multiplayer is horrible. 1. Graphics seem like PS2. 2. Sound FX are awful. 3. The game engine Treyarch uses sucks. 4. It's produced by Treyarch. 5. Gameplay seems speed up 1x and is clunky. 6. When you melee someone the knife doesn't have the same effect like it's going into the guy as in MW2. Bottom line wait for another Call of Duty produced by Infinity Ward. Also the two top guys from Infinity Ward and (co-founder) of Call of Duty set up their own studio, Respawn Entertainment. So keep a look out for them! Expand
  86. Nov 10, 2010
    An honest review, the single player is entertaining, but still a hectic mess. The story is a simplistic, generic conspiracy theory that never fully makes sense. The cinematics are wild and over the top and way to frequent. There is no downtime during the game, you are constantly blowing up helicopters, escaping avalanches, and other ridiculous events. The AI is unintelligent and neverAn honest review, the single player is entertaining, but still a hectic mess. The story is a simplistic, generic conspiracy theory that never fully makes sense. The cinematics are wild and over the top and way to frequent. There is no downtime during the game, you are constantly blowing up helicopters, escaping avalanches, and other ridiculous events. The AI is unintelligent and never feels real. The objectives are often vague and hard to trigger. This single player campaign is far inferior to Modern Ware and it's sequel.

The multiplayer is nearly identical to the Modern Warfare series with a few additions. I found the money system and the wager gametypes to be a blast. They can be frustrating if you lose! The majority of the new maps are excellent with a couple that were tedious to navigate and play.

Overall, if you loved the single player campaigns that Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 had, like I did, you will not find those same campaigns here. If you loved the Multiplayer of the Modern Warfare games, you will enjoy the multiplayer for this game.
  87. Nov 10, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Story: 10/10 It has the best story of all the COD Games, it is easy to understand and very straightforward.
    Graphics: 9.5/10 While it does have some Glitches and such, it improved on the Graphics of MW2 and it is a beautiful game to look at! Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is starting to get old.
    Multiplayer: 10/10 In my opinion COD has the best multiplayer for a FPS, and it has even improved with introducing a fun little feature Cod points.

Verdict: COD Black Ops redifines every little fun old COD mechanics and improves on it. But if you already have the past 6 COD's you wouldn't be impressed by this next installment.
  88. Nov 10, 2010
    The game has gained so much expectations because of previous success of the COD series,but I think Black Ops was definitely a major disappointment for me.

The game suffered from very serious graphic lags in both SP and MP on my PC,which can run Modern Warfare 2 at maximum setting without any problem. Even the intro movie and all the video clips between levels lag. In multilayer games, the graphics also lag so bad that I find sniper rifles almost useless. Disabling demo recording might help a little bit, but the lag is still quite an issue.

The sound effects of Black Ops is terrible. In MP games, the weapons sounded like fireworks and the flash bangs make a really weird sound when you throw them.In-game voices sounds very retarded. Sometimes your own footsteps sound like someone walking behind you.The announcements from radio sounded like cheap ass recording too.

MP maps are ridiculously CQB-focused.

In-game texts look so ugly that it looked like some cheap ass rip-off of MW2

When you hit shift to start sprinting,you can't stop sprinting by hitting shift again.You have to stop moving or wait till stamina runs out.

The way characters move are much less realistic than MW2. It made the game seemed like CS.

One tiny but retarded thing is that when you change the resolution,no matter which arrow you click,the resolution will always change in ascending order.

There are also issues with connections as a lot of official servers are very unstable.

The perks have been rearranged into different categories,and the categories didnt make much sense.

The COD point was a good idea and I liked the new modes in wager match. just wish they had it in MW2. After a little while i realized that COD points are just worthless, since they are so easy to earn in ranked games and there's no point of gambling in wager matches at all.

Anyways the above were my major complaints. Overall the gameplay experience is terrible compared to MW2. I'd say its a very average shooter, and because of being overhyped, my score of this game drops from average to bad.
  89. Nov 10, 2010
    I was looking forward to this game after reading about all the new features it promised online. As I am at Uni, I play a lot of split screen mw2 with friends so when I read 'bots in splitscreen' I thought great now we can play team matches rather than all v all. When I got the game, I find that the graphics are worse, the gameplay is slow and boring, the splitscreen offline is limited toI was looking forward to this game after reading about all the new features it promised online. As I am at Uni, I play a lot of split screen mw2 with friends so when I read 'bots in splitscreen' I thought great now we can play team matches rather than all v all. When I got the game, I find that the graphics are worse, the gameplay is slow and boring, the splitscreen offline is limited to no bots with only player 1 being able to create a profile with classes, you START with all the guns unlocked (wtf?) which removes any incentive to play, and only player 1 can even use killstreaks whilst on splitscreen. Furthermore, to fully utilise the splitscreen mode (bots, profiles, unlocks etc.), you need to be logged in to the PS Network, which makes no sense at all seeing as the game you start then, is hosted on your own PS3 not online. I mention being at Uni because I cannot connect to the internet on the PS3, hence playing splitscreen, hence massive annoyance at the 'Online local splitscreen' seriously what a joke. Even the splitting of the screen is done badly as with 3 people the 3rd player's screen doesn't fill the whole bottom half. Why not? Its not like i'm playing profesionally with 2 other professionals for money or something. use the whole damn screen.

The online multiplayer mode is the home of the only new content in the game, and it is good, wager mode is fun and gives new urgency to games. However, all of the equipment, perks and costumes, are dull. None of the guns are as pleasing as the ones in mw2, the snipers look like peashooters and make a similar noise, the M16 looks like a toy and the general sounds of battle are essentially the same bang noise over and over again. None of the perks are appealing, in mw2, you wanted all the perks at once and sometimes took a while to choose which one was best, in Black Ops, 80% are dull and useless and you end up making every class with the same perks and equipment. The costume idea is new, but stupid, as you have to change it every map to blend in. Granted zombie mode is back, this is fun as most people know from WaW. But honestly, 1 map...the same thing over and over again until they make me pay more money for a new one. It's not worth it, and if I wanted zombie mode to be the best part of the game I would just go and play Left 4 Dead...

Ok so the final mode is the Campaign. After having a long few hours trying to make the best of the crap splitscreen and multiplayer games, I decided to start this up figuring it might redeem the game. I get 30 minutes into the first mission, the guy 'Woods' who i'm supposed to 'support' freezes and cant move just moving his pixelly mouth up and down making no sound. Essentially, a bug. I think ok, should be fine if i revert to the previous checkpoint like i'm sure you can do from the menu. Oh wait...you cant. Looks like a restart of the whole mission. F**k that *turns PS3 off*.

Overall the gameplay is slower, worse looking, more boring, more repetitive and less fun than all the other Call of Dutys. Regardless of the fact that 99.9% of the content is made up of the previous 3 put together. I am very disappointed with this game and would not recommend it to fans of mw2 or WaW because it isn't as good. Oh yeah and also, they got rid of quickscoping (something fun).....and replaced it with something much more annoying.....the Crossbow. Enjoy, noob tube fans.
  90. Nov 10, 2010
    Hello there, I felt compelled to write my first review of a computer game after playing Black Ops, for reasons that will become clear. To set the scene I'm 29 and have been playing computer games since I was about 8, i love FPSes and all sorts of other genres but particular favourites are CoD, MOH, and the Battlefield series which I play on the Ps3 and PC. I was looking forward to BlackHello there, I felt compelled to write my first review of a computer game after playing Black Ops, for reasons that will become clear. To set the scene I'm 29 and have been playing computer games since I was about 8, i love FPSes and all sorts of other genres but particular favourites are CoD, MOH, and the Battlefield series which I play on the Ps3 and PC. I was looking forward to Black Ops for a variety of reasons but mainly because I wondered how MW2 could be improved upon and I thought MW2 was pretty darn good. I held off buying MOH as I thought i'd go for the old favourite having played CoD on both systems since its' inception. I felt it right to try and wrtie an evenhanded review of this game in order to assist anyone wondering if they should fork out their hard earned cash for it. I forced myself to play to Level 19 so I could experience Hardcore mode (which was annoying to say the least to have to 'earn' that) and I played the single player campaign on veteran. I have played the game for 21 hours.

Single Player: The graphics are atrocious. They remind me of some of the worst elements of the graphics on MW or perhaps earlier. There are various parts of the compaign that ...simply put....dont work. For instance in the cuban villa, a guard wrestles a 'baddie' over a railing. Hang on, go back, if i run in a little earlier they magically appear in front of me. In addition, I stab a guard hitting a man on the ground in the jailbreak, the man on the ground continues to flail around and then disappears. such obvious but joy-undermining flaws are abundant. Let it not be said the campaign story is not immersive if a little trite. What it fails to do is harness the basics, it does not feel like you are in a fight, it does not feel like you are firing real bullets and it does not feel like the enemy are clued up. In addition, whomever had the idea of your two buddies being bullet proof through a shower of bullets needs to check the definiton of 'realism'. How could this be fixed? I am not sure, but I would suggest that not having key characters indestructible would be a good start. Now I have to say, to be fair the guys at treyarch did get one important thing right: if you stand on a grenade your leg gets blown off. CORRECT. This type of realism is a blessing and something that should be echoed hereafter. Not since F.E.A.R have I felt that a programmer has attempted to harness 'gore' in such a way. That is something that all other FPSes so far fail to acknowledge or accomodate. However, if this is at the expense of the graphics, textures etc then perhaps it is too early, as in CoD:BO (sorry). Multiplayer: I guess that if i was 15 and loved to run around with an SMG spraying the crap out of people, or drive a tiny car that exploded this would be the game for me. Perhaps somewhere along the line I grew up (although my gf would beg to differ), or maybe CoD and in particular Treyarch didn't. What we have here is a lot of guff that will amaze the teenager in you, but for the old hands, will probably wear off in the first 6 hours of gameplay. This is of course, not an in-depth review (although some of the 'in-depth' reviews I have read should be more appropriately titled "What I Loved About CoD: BO, being as they appear to ride roughshod over the very obvious and 'epic' failings of the MP structure)., so I can only say the following. 1. The maps are tiny 2. The graphics are even worse (compare to BFBC2 for example) 3.The upgrade system is interesting but ultimately gloss 4.The modes are no different in essence to Mw or Mw2. There is nothing of substance here that could genuinely be called 'groundbreaking' or indeed 'new'. Add to those complaints the connectivity delays, the sudden closure of a server and reboot within another, the appalling sound, and the general lack of detail and what you have is a glossed up version of MW2 without any of the glorious detail or depth.Some other things that annoyed me:This cost me £39.00. not a fortune but relatively a lot of money, and what I feel like I purchased was MW2, that had been actually stripped down of its essential detail, to be replaced with gloss but no substance. It feels like a remake for a lower budget and it feels like a rip-off. The term 'expansion' springs to mind. I accept that the audience to which this game is sold is far more likely to be about 15 years of age and into the run-and-gun modes. I also accept that is where the money is, and that this game has its positives, but they appear to be so limited in imagination that I feel like I have stepped into 'Arcade CoD' and after 21 hours played I want to get right back out again. I had the night booked into my Ps3 to play online with some mates and at 20:30 I turned it off and came on here. That is how annoyingly bad, unimaginitive, and, it pains me to say. un-CoD like this game is. In summary? Save your money and avoid gushing reviews.
  91. Nov 10, 2010
    BLACK OOPS!

This game is appalling, do not buy. I have now wasted £40 on something that could have been fished out of the toilet. Bad Graphics, 'Laggy' online play and bad spawn points all contributed to the most overhyped and biggest dissapointment of the century. This game only recieved a 2 because the mildly entertaining campaign amused me for a while. However you buy
    BLACK OOPS!

However you buy COD for online, which is this game's achillies heel.
  92. Nov 10, 2010
    Treyarch finally made a downgraded Call of Duty game. As soon as I got the game, I went straight to multiplayer and expect a very solid gameplay like MW2! I was wrong. Call of Duty: Black Ops is a step down to Call of Duty series. World at War is way better in the multiplayer department; smooth and polished. BO...feels so stiff,unresponsive delay with my lightning fast fingers and FRAMETreyarch finally made a downgraded Call of Duty game. As soon as I got the game, I went straight to multiplayer and expect a very solid gameplay like MW2! I was wrong. Call of Duty: Black Ops is a step down to Call of Duty series. World at War is way better in the multiplayer department; smooth and polished. BO...feels so stiff,unresponsive delay with my lightning fast fingers and FRAME RATE SLOW DOWN(omfg dam* s*n of a b*tch) is rampant, online! I will beat the compaign soon and sell the game s
    afterwards. If Treyarch doesn't patch this game within two week to fix the frame rate problems then I will DEFINITELY SELL THIS HALF ASS, UNPOLISHED GAME!!! Sorry treyarch, COD3 and W@W was awesome and BO seems rushed. Do a better job next time and I will buy your future titles since I am still blown away with COD3 and W@W.
  93. Nov 10, 2010
    I love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game toI love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game to play with friends or by yourself. The campaign is pretty short but everyone buys this for the online experience, and while you may love or hate the addition of cod points the new wager matches are the best and most fun way to get them. The big amount of customization is one of my favorite parts of the online, and you can really spend a lot of time perfecting your custom emblem. Maybe the most overdue feature of all is split screen online. Theres been countless times when you have a friend over or something and you want to play with them and still level up. Now you can. I could go on about the new modes and features forever but all you really need to know is that Treyarch has done a fantastic job and is every bit as capable of making a quality game as infinity ward and you should not miss this game. Expand
  94. Nov 10, 2010
    Mediocre!...
    First of all, I got This game just to play it with my friends. I never liked COD series and Getting this game mad me see why I dislike so much this franchise.
    -Graphics: I'm not so impressed by the graphics of this game, any other big FPS game has better graphics. If you want to see good graphics just wait for Killzone 3. MAG and BO have about the same graphics. -Physics: The
    Mediocre!...
    -Physics: The physics are terrible, the characters move like a fast forwarding-movie, the hit-detection is bad, the accuracy fails, it's rubbish.
    -Gameplay: The game has the same game modes as always, very fast action, not enjoyable. You die every 15 seconds, no team play, You don't get the feeling of being playing against real people. Very laggy. I keep getting disconnected every single game. Takes to much time to start a game with friends/join them.
    Sounds: The sounds aren't improved from the last game and they are really poor. The gun sounds are very bad. I don't feel a feeling of being in a war.
    Visual Effects: The lightning effects are really good for this game I love the night time shadows and lights effects.
    The multiplayer maps are very small.
    The single player campaign is very simple and brief.
    You can have I little fun with this game but it won't last.
    There are better options for FPS for the PS3 including MAG, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Killzone 2 and Medal of Honor.

Don't waste your money, Save it for Killzone 3 or Gran Turismo 5.
  95. Nov 10, 2010
    I wish people would stop rating this game so low. Yes it's similar to MW2 but it's the same franchise!
    This is the best FPS multiplayer game available on any system at the current time. The vast majority of the MP annoyances from MW2 have been resolved. Well worth picking up.
  96. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of Duty has truly become the Apple product of fps...

Overhyped.
    Waste of money.
    2005 Graphics.
    PC/Framerate/CPU/GPU issues everywhere even for people with state-of-the-art rigs.
    Multiplayer issues.
    RC Car.
    Poor Storyline/Campaign.

Prepare yourselves, begun has the death of video gaming.
  97. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system piping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  98. Nov 11, 2010
    This is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find aThis is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find a mention of poor graphics, or a comparison to MW2, the campaign, or the frame rate, or some other lame excuse as to why you are most undoubtably getting handled in this game. I'm writing this in hopes the reader reads this after they read everything else: below you will find a matter-of-fact review of this brilliant game.

In short, no one buys a game for the campaign anymore so stop filling your reviews with critiques on it; post it on Facebook or something because no one cares. The only time anyone decent at these games play the campign is when they need to unlock something, or their Internet is down and they need their fix. Stop comparing it to the superhuman, camper/tube paradise that is MW2: that game is crap and everyone who still regards it as good should go pitch a tent in Summit and stop badmouthing a good game because you suck. Same goes for you quickscopers since I'm sure contributing to the bad reviews...don't worry I'm sure you'll find some way to exploit this game as well in order to make up for your lack of skilll. So let's be honest, the game is great. The game is also harder then MW2. There are hints of both MW2 and WaW, but the game is closer to CoD4...which is a good thing. Yes there is room for improvement, but overall, the stats, the customizations, the difficulty, and the gameplay in general, make this game a must gor any FPS gamer...don't recommend if you are a newb toobing camper.
  99. Nov 11, 2010
    Best CoD yet! Great customisation. Great maps. Sound is superb (I was sat by rotting food in multiplayer map and could hear the flies behind me - surround sound).

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.
  100. Nov 19, 2010

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!