Call of Duty: Black Ops PlayStation 3

6.4

1. Mar 9, 2011
    Black Ops is a good game but I really wouldn't say it's a great game. I really enjoyed MW2 but I really don't feel that Black Ops is quite as good. I'm more of a fan of the single player experience when I play COD games and I believe this one to be lacking a good story and doesn't compel me to want more. I Know that most players play for the multi-player but for me that isn't why I play COD.
  2. Jul 25, 2012
    A definite improvement of World At War. Black Ops took the one aspect of its predecessor that we loved, the Zombie mode, and built on it, making it perhaps even more worth buying the game than the multiplayer. Speaking of which, the multiplayer has definitely improved, now matching its counterpart Modern Warfare, and finally, unlike many fps games nowadays, it does have an well craftedA definite improvement of World At War. Black Ops took the one aspect of its predecessor that we loved, the Zombie mode, and built on it, making it perhaps even more worth buying the game than the multiplayer. Speaking of which, the multiplayer has definitely improved, now matching its counterpart Modern Warfare, and finally, unlike many fps games nowadays, it does have an well crafted plot, with an interesting albeit predictable twist. An overall fun game that fights the general stereotype that franchises are often ruined by sequels. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    Nothing revolutionary. Yet nothing bad. Black ops delivers a good singleplayer campaign with a interesting story and a fun multiplayer experience. Not as ground breaking as Call of duty 4: Modern Warfare that's for sure.
  4. Mar 14, 2012
    black ops was overhyped and terrible. it felt like w@w and mw2 combined, and basically no new features except new guns and graphics. the campaign was absolutely SHOCKING! CoD is starting to go downhill... BATTLEFIELD FTW
  5. Dec 18, 2012
    More balanced than MW2 but less impressive in terms of visuals and guns. It does boast the best campaign story seen in a cod game. Zombies are meh.
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    Absolutely love this game.Probably my third favorite CoD (CoD 4,MW2,BO 1).The campaign had a lot of action,but not the best.Me multiplayer is great.I love it.It has given me wonderful times
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops has worse music than Modern Warfare 2 (and even worse than World at War), but it's compensed with the best campaign mode in the series, tons of extras (Zombies Mode, Dead Ops Arcade, descriptions of the characters/missions in intel...) and the best multiplayer mode in the series too.
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    I realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has beenI realize I'm probably the only person on the planet that has consistently preferred Treyarch's Call of Duty titles to Infinity Ward's, but such is the case. World at War is my favorite game of the current generation and I expected big things from Black Ops. I was not disappointed in this expectation. Obviously, I have only just started playing the game, but what I've seen so far has been excellent. I have only played multiplayer thus far as that is primarily the reason I play FPSs and, I can say unequivocally, Black Ops is light years ahead of Modern Warfare 2. The first Modern Warfare is a close second for favorite game of this generation and, as such, I had held high hopes for MW2 but it disappointed me on every front. Needless to say, Black Ops gets COD back on track for me. So far, I have experienced none of the rage-inducing bugs and glitches of MW2 and the MP maps are excellent. I am fine with Black Ops system of adding perks. It is not perfect but is infinitely superior to MW2's perk system, which was another major source of aggravation related to that game. I whole-heartedly recommend Black Ops to COD veterans but that's preaching to the choir. I highly recommend the game for any FPS or MP fan as well. Expand
  9. Nov 10, 2010
    I understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paintI understand what people who give this game a low score are thinking, in terms of this not being a completely new game, not enough updates, etc. I look at it this way: I think of the whole series of games as one entity, with each yearly release serving as an addition to the collective. Basically, I'm going to be playing Duty one way or another, and I appreciate having a new coat of paint being slapped on every November. As long as it feels and plays like a Call of Duty game should, I'm happy to stand in a cold-ass Gamestop line at 1 in the morning to fork over my 60 bucks. Expand
  10. Nov 9, 2010
    Wonderful array of options. Superbly balance weapons and perks. Great variety of multiplay game and game modes. However no 'X' factor. Overall a solid game which isn't as slick as the 'supposed' broken modern warfare 2.
  11. Nov 10, 2010
    Frame rate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of youFrame rate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of you killing you and you don't hear anything!!! I would not **** as much if the game was at least fluid , but it controls clunky and just like WAW!! They just used the same mechanics with new guns that's all! And since they used the same graphics engine from more than 2 years ago and they tried to add more detail they ended up making everything blurry it looks almost like you're playing in standard definition TV and also as a result causing the game's frame rate to constantly drop giving you a headache if you play too long. This is coming from a guy that has played previous installments to death and was very much looking forward to this one. I'm so angry and disappointed . I mean Activision should have the funds to make a graphics engine from the ground up and could have made the game run and look at least as smooth as MW2. Now we're stuck with a mediocre COD game until who knows!!!!! Expand
  12. Nov 12, 2010
    This may be the best game I've ever played. reading all the negative comments, it seems most people have just given up after only playing for an hour or two. It may feel too hard for someone who has only played modern warfare two before this but once you get the hang of it, it is really very fun. The weapon balance is pretty good, the increased viewkick when you get shot means that 9 timesThis may be the best game I've ever played. reading all the negative comments, it seems most people have just given up after only playing for an hour or two. It may feel too hard for someone who has only played modern warfare two before this but once you get the hang of it, it is really very fun. The weapon balance is pretty good, the increased viewkick when you get shot means that 9 times out of 10 the person who gets the first shot will win the firefight, even more so than other call of duty games. Multiplayer will most likely be the thing that keeps you coming back all year. but on top of that you have an insane story mode, longer than other cod games, and just as fun. It includes many cool effects and set pieces. The third mode, zombies is an upgraded version of nazi zombies from WaW, the maps are much bigger and there is more to buy. Some other notable features are bots for spilt screen and practicing, with 4 difficulty settings. Many, many customisation options for multiplayer and theatre mode. Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2010
    Feels like a toygame after MW2. Sounds lack depth, multiplayer has lag issues, it looks uglier than it's predecessor. Nazi zombies are still a lot of fun, too bad the multiplayer isn't as good as MW2's mp.
  14. Nov 15, 2010
    From a multiplayer perspective, I cannot understand people such a weak game. Yes, the ability to buy weapons and perks was a great idea and allowed for customisation. Additionally, the ability to vote on a map to play was very cool.

HOWEVER... 1) The graphics were a total step back from Modern Warfare 2. 2) The audio was very weak. Explosions almost sounded apologetic. 3) The gameplay

HOWEVER...

1) The graphics were a total step back from Modern Warfare 2.
    2) The audio was very weak. Explosions almost sounded apologetic.
    3) The gameplay was slow.
    4) The framerate dropped on almost every game I played, despite selecting to play against local people.
    5) Not being able to drop your secondary weapon to pick up another primary weapon makes no sense.

Treyarch should be ashamed to have created such rubbish. Never again will I buy one of their games. Thank god that EB refunds for games you don't like.
  15. Nov 10, 2010
    I don't understand all you people giving this game a 10. I love MW2 and the Call of Duty series but please Black Ops is garbage. I mean the campaign is fine but the online multiplayer is horrible. 1. Graphics seem like PS2. 2. Sound FX are awful. 3. The game engine Treyarch uses sucks. 4. It's produced by Treyarch. 5. Gameplay seems speed up 1x and is clunky. 6. When you melee someone theI don't understand all you people giving this game a 10. I love MW2 and the Call of Duty series but please Black Ops is garbage. I mean the campaign is fine but the online multiplayer is horrible. 1. Graphics seem like PS2. 2. Sound FX are awful. 3. The game engine Treyarch uses sucks. 4. It's produced by Treyarch. 5. Gameplay seems speed up 1x and is clunky. 6. When you melee someone the knife doesn't have the same effect like it's going into the guy as in MW2. Bottom line wait for another Call of Duty produced by Infinity Ward. Also the two top guys from Infinity Ward and (co-founder) of Call of Duty set up their own studio, Respawn Entertainment. So keep a look out for them! Expand
  16. Mar 1, 2011
    Black Ops summed up. -AK47 looks like a motherf**kin duracell battery, no joke. -rolling thunder lags more than a virgin in bed
    -I swear I bought this game on N64 before, yep, I remember, it was on NES! -Yeah um RC cars...yeah.NO. -dolphin diving. WHO'S F**KIN IDEA WAS THAT?!
    -COD pts, if I gave a sh!t about shopping I would play hannah montana the game and chop my d**k off. -Guns noises sound like some cheap magician's prop you'd buy at a Mexican's drug dealer's shop. -Oh yay no more nuke boosting! TOO BAD THIS GAME IS BORING AS F**K! -Nuketown = what came out of treyarch's as*hole after smoking 2 tons of crack -Servers - I don't know BECAUSE I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET INTO ONE GAME WITHOUT SEEING THIS F**KIN SIGN "UH OH! Lost of connection! Sorry for the inconvenience we're just to busy being jews to give a **** -Map names: JUNGLE, Oh this maps has bushes and sh!t so we're just gonna name it jungle, DERP
    - Single player - no, just...no. victor resnov was a figment of his imagination?! OH I DIDN'T SEE THAT except WHEN I TOTALLY F**KIN SAW IT. Zombies - Luigi's mansion anyone?
    Sniping - yeah, i decided that swearing would be too much to handle so will leave it at that. DLC - rofl. Wait you're serious? Summed up: I don't know what to say, if you want to give your money so the penny licking jews at treyarch can wipe their ass with it then go ahead. As for me, I'm gonna get drunk so I can forget this huge steaming pile of whale's vagina ever existed.
  17. Nov 13, 2010
    Played this game at a buddy's house, and watched him play online. Was not impressed, to say the least. Stupid A.I., bland level design, horrid graphics, idiotic storyline, cheap looking and sounding guns, heavily scripted combat, and lackluster, laggy online multiplayer. Nowhere near as good at MW2 (and that's means quite a bit, seeing how the MP in MW2 was unbalanced crap). Stay away.
  18. Nov 13, 2010
    What is going all with all haters? The game is AWESOME!!! Multiplayer is the best! 10/10! And no more cheating streaks and perks like in mw2. Best Game of 2010. And zombies are cool, especially when u playing with your friends!
  19. Nov 13, 2010
    Just what you'd expect out of CoD. It's not different at all but it's still just as fun as every other CoD out there. If your complaining that the game sucks then why would you buy it when you knew that CoD is the almost the same each and every year. BUT IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!1
  20. Nov 10, 2010
    This a fun game. It lacks the proper sound effects and graphics of this generation. I've put in a few hours of each the campaign and multiplayer. Unfortunately, the online playing was lagging and did not make it a fun experience. I have high hopes for this game, once it runs as smooth as MW2. The sound effects really kill me and caused me not to rate it as a 9.

Think of it as an add-on

Think of it as an add-on to MW. If you're like me, addicted to MW2, then you will probably like this game.
  21. Nov 11, 2010
    The multiplayer is balanced and made the emphasis on gunplay but the maps are pretty bad and huge with plenty of hiding spots (you'll constantly be shot from the sides when traveling unlike MW2 where maps weren't so open) and everyone is silent. It's not bad, it's very fun, but it's not worthy of the hype. The engine is showing it's age, the graphics are plain and a step down from MW2 andThe multiplayer is balanced and made the emphasis on gunplay but the maps are pretty bad and huge with plenty of hiding spots (you'll constantly be shot from the sides when traveling unlike MW2 where maps weren't so open) and everyone is silent. It's not bad, it's very fun, but it's not worthy of the hype. The engine is showing it's age, the graphics are plain and a step down from MW2 and the action is slower. Still a blast, but COD needs innovation fast. Expand
  22. Nov 15, 2010
    What a disappointment!
    I expected this game with great anticipation as the marketing machine has been very well orchestrated. I even preordered the game, I regret it now.
    What a disappointment!
    I play in full HD on a video projector and I have the unpleasant feeling to play in 570p. The textures are very poor, the soldiers are not detailed, everything is pixellised. The movements are not fluid. this is unacceptable in 2010.
    I do not understand how this "detail" could have escaped all reviews ...
    Although some interesting innovations come with Black Ops, everything is ruined by the graphics.
    I am going to sell Black Ops and instead plans to buy MW2 map packs
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    It's simple. MW2 scored a 9 for me. In comparison, Black Ops just doesn't measure up. Graphics look less realistic, campaign is weaker, multiplayer is pretty much the same (definitely not any better). I'm just more excited for the next Infinity Ward edition now.

For COD fans, this is fun and new, but if you didn't like COD before, this will definitely not get you on the band wagon. In conclusion, this game was worth the $49.99 deal I got, but I'm thankful I didn't pay $59.99 or $64.99 (Gamestop rip off).
  24. Dec 3, 2010
    how do you delete a review or your account? ****
  25. Nov 10, 2010
    I love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game toI love this game. If you are a COD fan check it out, if you hate COD don't. simple as that. I've heard people complain that "features" from MW2 aren't in black ops but really they've just fixed issues like 10 ft knifing and ridiculously overpowering guns. When you add in a fun zombie mode, the best storyline to date and multi-player as addictive as ever, you've got a really fun game to play with friends or by yourself. The campaign is pretty short but everyone buys this for the online experience, and while you may love or hate the addition of cod points the new wager matches are the best and most fun way to get them. The big amount of customization is one of my favorite parts of the online, and you can really spend a lot of time perfecting your custom emblem. Maybe the most overdue feature of all is split screen online. Theres been countless times when you have a friend over or something and you want to play with them and still level up. Now you can. I could go on about the new modes and features forever but all you really need to know is that Treyarch has done a fantastic job and is every bit as capable of making a quality game as infinity ward and you should not miss this game. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2010
    Well what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on everyWell what can i say. Treyarch have deliverd a masterpiece. The game engine works incredibly. The storyline is gripping and imaginitive, and extreamly engaging. The zombies mode works brilliant, and provides hours of fun running round with an upgraded raygun. And the multiplayer works brilliantly and fairly. Everything feels balanced online, and you no longer need stopping power on every class just to kill someone. There are however a few let downs. the lag on the PS3 version is unbareable at some points, and the zombie maps do feel a little cramped. there are some annoyances, but i do feel that those i havnt included could be to personal opinion. Overall an amazing game. P.S. i love how responcive Treyarch are to our complaints, and how they work so hard to keep us happy...unlike Infinity Ward. Expand
  27. Nov 17, 2010
    Black ops is a HUGE step back for the series. I was very excited to play this, but when it arrived and I had tested it out I immediately could tell this was a downgrade. The graphics are sub par. SUB PAR!!?! For a HUGE budget game? Simply unacceptable. Not to mention the broken multiplayer. Shotguns take at least 2 hits no matter how close. Thats simply stupid. Does not live up to hype
  28. Nov 11, 2010
    I wish I could give Black Ops a higher mark for all the new features, but it's dropped too many old ones. Split Screen, for example, used to seem like an actual game mode. Now it's basically a practice mode. You can't even edit the gameplay options. The new online multiplayer features are pretty fun and interesting, but COD was one of the last FPS series to have a good split screen and nowI wish I could give Black Ops a higher mark for all the new features, but it's dropped too many old ones. Split Screen, for example, used to seem like an actual game mode. Now it's basically a practice mode. You can't even edit the gameplay options. The new online multiplayer features are pretty fun and interesting, but COD was one of the last FPS series to have a good split screen and now so many features are ignored. Another problem with the game are all the bugs and glitches. If they could fix a lot of them then maybe BO would be better, but Treyarch pretty much killed off all fun in split screen mode with this game and hopefully it will be made better next year. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2010
    Judging from what Killzone 3's beta had to offer and from what I have seen from Crysis 2, COD Black-ops is about to get a black eye but putting poor graphics and mediocre sound aside COD Black-ops fails in much more important areas of the game for instance the AI, especially the buddy AI, too often I found my self being pounded in the head by a rifle while the squad members at my sideJudging from what Killzone 3's beta had to offer and from what I have seen from Crysis 2, COD Black-ops is about to get a black eye but putting poor graphics and mediocre sound aside COD Black-ops fails in much more important areas of the game for instance the AI, especially the buddy AI, too often I found my self being pounded in the head by a rifle while the squad members at my side will keep firing away at some distant enemy it also happened a few times that my squad members would run past the enemy lines to get to the objective marker leaving me stranded to see off the enemy.Getting to the story I have to say its not the worst story ever told but by no means near the standard of what we have gotten use to,I could rant on and on about the disappointments of this game but I wont I just want to conclude with this, Is the critics completely open with us and they truly believe that this is a great game or is there something deeper going on here.Its your call. Expand
  30. Nov 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game doesn't even come close to MW2. Compared to this, MW2 was leaps and bounds ahead of it's time. For starters, the Single player is god awful. You never feel like you're in the action, and you never feel a connection with the characters. Except one, who it turns out isn't even really there. The games enemy A.I. is only surpassed in stupidity by the god awful friendly A.I. Enemies charge right at you, killing you this way about 35% of the time. Why? Because your team mates don't feel like shooting the enemy right in front of them. They're more concerned about an enemy 30 feet away taking cover! The only good thing about single-player was the end, when (for some reason or another) zombies attack. Hearing JFK say "Yep, Zombies." was the brightest part of the game and made me laugh uncontrollably to see Richard Nixon, John F. Kennedy, And Fidel Castro fighting zombies. All together zombies is the best part of the game. Multiplayer is not. When I heard that you can buy any gun at the start of the game a couple months ago, I was elated. No more bull crap when you prestige, you can buy your favorite gun from the start. I guess Activison didn't like that idea, because it doesn't exist. You still have to level up to get almost any gun in the game, and you have to BUY THEM as well. You want perks, they're yours my friend. But only if you have enough money. Perks don't even help you win games anymore. That's because most of perks are utterly useless. Seems they replaced cold-blooded (a very useful perk in MW2, in order to get away from enemy killstreaks) with Ghost. Ghost is an almost useless perk, it protects you from radar and nothing else. So, what stops enemy killstreaks from being unstoppable, nothing. If it's an open map and they have an Attack Helicopter or Chopper Gunner, you're pretty much dead. The maps are terrible as well. Awful spawns plague them to death as well as camping. Not to mention they're just plain mediocre. At least you don't have to unlock weapon attachments like in MW2 (the one thing this game did get right). Well... and gungame isn't that bad. This will be the last time I purchase a CoD game (unless somehow Infinity Ward come back). This was strike 3 for Treyarch (1 being CoD3 and 2 being WaW). Expand
  31. Nov 24, 2010
    This game is far away from perfect, the campaign is awesome (Even if some bugs are making it really frustrating). But were it all goes wrong? The multiplayer, it's full of bugs, campers, unbalanced stuff & the graphics are to cry. Bad job Treyarch. Singleplayer 8.5/10
    Multiplayer 5.5/10
    Zombies 9/10
  32. Nov 24, 2010
    I love COD. I loved COD4:MW, I loved W@W, and also MW2.
    The campaign for Black Ops is good. I don't know if I would say better than the previous 3, but at least compare to W@W, the game doesn't "cheat" by throwing infinite grenades as much.
    HOWEVER, the reason people buy (and keep) COD is for its multiplayer, and this game's multiplayer is: 1) Just "off"... Doesn't feel right... I
    I love COD. I loved COD4:MW, I loved W@W, and also MW2.

1) Just "off"... Doesn't feel right... I can't quantify it, but having played for so many years, I can tell you when this games just doesn't "feel" right.

2) The sniping in this game sucks. It is simply broken. Not just for "quickscopers", but also for "normal-scoping" snipers. 3) The introduction of "COD Dollars" devalues everything in my opinion. Previously, seeing someone with a "Red Tiger" would mean that person was quite good with that weapon... In Black Ops? No problem.... Anyone can "buy" any camo for the money they earn in a single match.

4) The lag in the online is horrendous! Don't remember it being this bad in any other iteration.

In short, I'm afraid for the first time in this game's iteration history, I've stopped playing the "latest version" and have gone back to the prior version (MW2 in this case).

Such a shame.
  33. Nov 30, 2010
    Ill start off with what I love. Zombies is the only thing that tryarch can get right. The new maps suck but playing the original maps with cold war weaponry is awsome. Saddly its not enogh to save this sad excuse for a call of duty. The multiplayer is HORRIBLE weapons are unbalanced, snipers are useless, zillstreaks are way to powerful. Its a real damn shame that this game had to be as badIll start off with what I love. Zombies is the only thing that tryarch can get right. The new maps suck but playing the original maps with cold war weaponry is awsome. Saddly its not enogh to save this sad excuse for a call of duty. The multiplayer is HORRIBLE weapons are unbalanced, snipers are useless, zillstreaks are way to powerful. Its a real damn shame that this game had to be as bad as it is and as a hardcore cod fan i feel like i was slapped in the face with tryarchs "quickscoping is nooby" attitude. yes Modern warfare 2 was abit unbalanced but completely changing sniping mechanics infuriates me. I am litteraly buying an xbox to play halo reach which is the only game (other than fallout new vegas) that has not dissapointed me. I already bought halo reach legendary edition. I hope infinity ward sees how upset people are not just about the sniping community but those who miss the original modern warfare. Tryarch should just stick to zombies. Expand
  34. Dec 4, 2010
    Black Ops is the worst Call of duty yet. Treyarch took away quick scoping which everyone loves except for the nerds who made this game. the only good part is zombies and thats barley fun. treyarch should stick to games like die by the sword and stop making call of dutys. Infinity ward is a way better company in every single way. I would not waste my money on this game if the person readingBlack Ops is the worst Call of duty yet. Treyarch took away quick scoping which everyone loves except for the nerds who made this game. the only good part is zombies and thats barley fun. treyarch should stick to games like die by the sword and stop making call of dutys. Infinity ward is a way better company in every single way. I would not waste my money on this game if the person reading does not have the game. id go with modern warfare 2. it may be a little old but it is a lot better. I rate zero on this game. Oh and people please dont waste your time with this game either its crapy with bad graphics and people already no life it. Please rate zero on this game. Bye.

P.S. Treyarch blows complete butt dont buy Black Ops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  35. Dec 4, 2010
    Over hyped garbage. I really mean that. There has been no difference between the last few CoDs except for a few minor differences. Almost every day, I hear someone saying that Black Ops is the greatest FPS (or even game) ever. Like the best one currently out there until the next rehashed CoD game. It annoys me because these people have clearly never played any other games except CoD andOver hyped garbage. I really mean that. There has been no difference between the last few CoDs except for a few minor differences. Almost every day, I hear someone saying that Black Ops is the greatest FPS (or even game) ever. Like the best one currently out there until the next rehashed CoD game. It annoys me because these people have clearly never played any other games except CoD and really need to get out into the game market more. They're honestly missing out. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2010
    ACTIVISION JUST STOP BEFORE U RUIN IT look i debated whether i would look at metacritic reviews because mw fanboys are going to proclaim it great anyway..irregardless..so this is my 2 cents.... its a good game why a 5 because if you have played mw2, bfbc2, WaW, hell crash cammandos got offline bots, halo got theatre, WaW got zombies, bfbc2 got vehicles...recycled waw zombie maps..... thisACTIVISION JUST STOP BEFORE U RUIN IT look i debated whether i would look at metacritic reviews because mw fanboys are going to proclaim it great anyway..irregardless..so this is my 2 cents.... its a good game why a 5 because if you have played mw2, bfbc2, WaW, hell crash cammandos got offline bots, halo got theatre, WaW got zombies, bfbc2 got vehicles...recycled waw zombie maps..... this game is just those games on 1 disc....i expect a different story and some add ons..because its new anyway....BUT ALL OF THIS IS RECYCLED...if u are new to the genre THIS is a great 65 dollar purchase because u get a little of everything. personally i am disappointed as not much ORIGINAL wuz added. sorry black ops u shouldn't have released until u came with something more...ps. their starting on the next cod...uggghhh... i vote cod/anal rape/every year...as long as we keep buying it...they are not motivated to creative use of a good liscense.......and if got very little DONT BOTHER ...ahem... medal of honor....super ps. bfbc vietnam u have been warned...here is why im angry...other than being an annual basketball/football update with a few new stats and mechanics, if u have or have played, some of the other games u already played this. WaW gave zombies, mw gave us a new era, bf destructible environments and vehicles, mw2 great multiplayer...black ops currency to buy wot i already was getting its just a different way to unlock...W T F!!! FURTHERMORE this game is meant for teens, college kids people who stay in the house and only play cod...i got a life and a job and other games...so i suck because im working and u playing but i should continue to spend my money so u can ALWAYS BE AHEAD AND ALWAYS WIN. NO! I didnt ask u to revolutionize but black ops is a 18 oz steak with 16 oz of fat on it. IM NOT DOING THIS NEXT YEAR. mw2 is still king at least if u win its because u were faster and better not because u played longer and got game given developer made stuff. UR VISION on this game is slight. Expand
  37. Nov 12, 2010
    What was Treyarch thinking... I now understand why they had a closed beta!

One of the worst COD games I have played in the last 4 years. Biggest mistake made was losing Infinity Ward! Only reason I gave a score of 2, is the campaign mode. Do not buy unless you have lots money to waste and don't mind getting an inferior product.
  38. Nov 12, 2010
    ** -- >>> I wanted to clarify to people that take issue with others saying that the reviews are bribed / paid off, that the claims of bribed scores are CORRECT, and it isn't just ActiVision who do this.
    Review sites make revenue by having people visit their site, and if other sites are putting up the first reviews of the latest hot game, people will go to them instead. Game publishers buy off high review scores by telling sites that they will receive an advanced copy of their game for review ahead of the retail release date ONLY IF the game receives a score of >80, or >90. They won't make this condition to all review sites, but they will to the popular ones, whose reviews will affect opinions the most.

The incentives given for high scores also go beyond that. If a review site gives a score the publisher doesn't like, they won't receive an advance copy for future titles, putting that review site at a disadvantage to other sites that can review the game ahead of them - and when a site is blacklisted by a large publisher like ActiVision, that can mean a LOT of titles that will be missed. Call of Duty is ActiVision's biggest title, you can be damn that sure they've put more score manipulating muscle into this release than any other release has seen before it. This score manipulation regularly taints big-name games, and you should know to not trust review sites all that much, because their noses are often firmly up the arses of the companies whose games they depend on being able to review early to generate their site traffic for revenue. User feedback has become far more valuable that site reviews. However, a lot of simple users out there who don't have much game experience will assume that the game they're playing that got fifteen 100/100 scores is truly the best, and those don't-know-better easily manipulable people are the ones the score-doctoring tactics aim to influence.

Metacritic, itself, has been lobbied by publishers to remove various negative scores from its site, to make games look like they were received better than they were. As far as I know, Metacritic has rebuffed all such lobbying.

Now my review:
    I've played only the sp so far, and it's typical CoD boredom, for me. I hardly feel like I'm playing, and what I'm watching isn't very exciting, either. The graphics are bad, but hey, it's designed for ancient console hardware, and not contemporary PC hardware, so it's not very surprising. Frankly, I loathe the cheesy cliche Vietnam characters and lines, which now (if not already ages ago) seem like a bad parody of a bad parody. I have some un-ignorable performance issues, the same ones which many others are also experiencing, detailed on various forums (Steam forums, ActiVision forums, & others), despite having a robust PC. This game will satisfy the kiddies, who are wowed more by the constant scripted business of this rail-shooter than by involved and in-depth gameplay.
  39. Nov 12, 2010
    Call of duty black will have your heart pumping like it never pumped before The single player is fantastic. Awesome game! This is an amazing upgrade from call of duty mw2 and call of duty back. Everything in the game is just so balanced. To me this is the best call of duty ever.
  40. Nov 12, 2010
    Black Ops is an insult to FPS gamers. My rating of 0 is based only on the MP as that is the only reason I buy COD. The design and concept of the game is the best I've seen but the lag makes the game completely unplayable at a competitive level. This is not the first time Treyarch has pulled this crap at release and I don't care if its later patched they knew how many players would be onBlack Ops is an insult to FPS gamers. My rating of 0 is based only on the MP as that is the only reason I buy COD. The design and concept of the game is the best I've seen but the lag makes the game completely unplayable at a competitive level. This is not the first time Treyarch has pulled this crap at release and I don't care if its later patched they knew how many players would be on the servers day one and the were completely unprepared its amazing that this is legal $60 for a broken product times 6000000. Expand
  41. Nov 11, 2010
    I've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player isI've been playing COD for a very long time. I am not sure what all the hatred for B.O is, but I promise you that to me, B.O was the best in the series. I didn't notice any difference in the graphics of the last 4 COD titles ( maybe that is bad...fine with me) but the storyline of this game was awesome. If you like the other COD games...don't pass this one up. The Multi-player is something different but a welcomed change. In essence, it does feel like a COD game...with a new map pack but the way they go about trying to make fresh changes, it has stepped above the rest and ventured out on it's own. Don't listen to the haters. If there is one thing in my life to be revered about, it's my honesty. I promise that if you give B.O some time, you WILL love it. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  42. Nov 9, 2010
    This review is solely based on the mutiplayer aspect of the game since Im expecting the solo campaign to be much of a muchness in terms of call of duty, ive never really been blown away or bored into sleep with the campaign modes on any cod games before, feature wise the game brings a lot to the table, in fact I dont even know where to begin, features everywhere, not to sure about theThis review is solely based on the mutiplayer aspect of the game since Im expecting the solo campaign to be much of a muchness in terms of call of duty, ive never really been blown away or bored into sleep with the campaign modes on any cod games before, feature wise the game brings a lot to the table, in fact I dont even know where to begin, features everywhere, not to sure about the credit system where you win credits to buy features but well see, map wise there is a good variety of them and from what ive seen all provide exactly what youd expect from cod multiplayer games which is intense in your face mayhem, be it from a distance, down an alley or right up shotgunned in your face :) what i feel does however let the game down is the graphics, yet again treyarch dont seem to be able to provide a cod game with polished graphics, mw2 was far superior in that department, it really spoiled the experience for me. The zombie mode made me laugh the most, as soon as it starts, nazi flags in front of you that look so blocky it reminds me of the old wolfenstein games from the 90's. All in all though a half decent effort that wont dissapoint if your into cod games... if your not expecting mw2 with new features that is... Expand
  43. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of duty: Black Ops was one of the most hyped games known to the gaming community. But when i play this game it reminds me of another version of World at War. When I play this game i still see the crappy graphics that COD5 had. Sadly this game did not live up to the "excitement" that was created when it came out. On the positive side, it is a new game and yes there are someCall of duty: Black Ops was one of the most hyped games known to the gaming community. But when i play this game it reminds me of another version of World at War. When I play this game i still see the crappy graphics that COD5 had. Sadly this game did not live up to the "excitement" that was created when it came out. On the positive side, it is a new game and yes there are some positives. No more quick-scoping,, painkiller, and painkiller. The weapons are changed around for the good. And the kill streaks do not stack on top of each other to encourage campers. It is nice to see a new game on the market and it unites the gaming community. I still have faith, only time will tell how this game turns out. Expand
  44. Nov 9, 2010
    I thought the game was great. Its by far better than MW2. The campaign is great, Nazi Zombies is back and better than ever, and the Multiplayer is balanced.
  45. Nov 10, 2010
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Story: 10/10 It has the best story of all the COD Games, it is easy to understand and very straightforward.
    Graphics: 9.5/10 While it does have some Glitches and such, it improved on the Graphics of MW2 and it is a beautiful game to look at! Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is
    Call of Duty Black Ops is a Fantastic Game!
    Gameplay: 9.9/10 If it aint broke,dont fix it. Yep this is the same COD you knew and loved. But it is starting to get old.
    Multiplayer: 10/10 In my opinion COD has the best multiplayer for a FPS, and it has even improved with introducing a fun little feature Cod points.

Verdict: COD Black Ops redifines every little fun old COD mechanics and improves on it. But if you already have the past 6 COD's you wouldn't be impressed by this next installment.
  46. Nov 17, 2010
    best game ever for online it is nonstop fun i dont think u can not have fun in this game it is amazing all the new stuff they added makes u trying to get em plus the perks are more balanced now and it is just very good and the chopper gunner looks way way more better because u can see the map its beautiful
  47. Nov 9, 2010
    This is best Call of Duty to date due to it's shift to the more hardcore player, as Modern Warfare 2 allowed even the beginner to breeze through the game without any trouble. This is not the case in Black Ops, one must actually possess "skill" in order to be successful.
  48. Nov 10, 2010
    Singleplayer is horrible as it is still plagued by horrible ai, but this time the problem lies with programmers as well. There isn't even close to enough triggers on the maps to make the teammates to appear even semi real. Finding the trigger point after flanking enemies can be pain. On top of that the respawning enemies still exist and teammates are still firing blanks at a guy standing 3Singleplayer is horrible as it is still plagued by horrible ai, but this time the problem lies with programmers as well. There isn't even close to enough triggers on the maps to make the teammates to appear even semi real. Finding the trigger point after flanking enemies can be pain. On top of that the respawning enemies still exist and teammates are still firing blanks at a guy standing 3 feet from you completely visible.

Multiplayer is faster due to making snipers unusable which is good in a arcade shooter like this and the game modes can be conceived as fun. I don't think its enough to merit buying the game if you own mw1, mc2 or even mw2.
  49. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of duty black ops is a good game if you like thriller and intense gaming this game lacks a lot of potential and also it is very life like if you like games which show really good and a lot of graphics show then this is the game This game is an amazing shooter The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD and is nice and all the main point of this game is the great multiplayer. The best thing about call of duty black ops is the weapon ranges and the character building also there is a lot different matches such as a wage match which lets you play the game in multiplayer mode but the downside to this kind of match is if someone knifes you in the back the all your money that you have earned goes to that player in this type of game it learns you to be quick on your feet with the player also be very stealth and you also have to watch your back as you could get stabbed this game gives a lot of qualities out to other people. This game is rated 9/10 because of everything it has this game can be quite addicting after you have played it once there is another type of match and that is death match this is when you and another team has to shoot each other you can either be red or blue more people you kill more points you get but if you kill 1 after 1 then it is called a strike and you can get prizes such as a helicopter or some type. Expand
  50. Nov 10, 2010
    The game has gained so much expectations because of previous success of the COD series,but I think Black Ops was definitely a major disappointment for me.

The game suffered from very serious graphic lags in both SP and MP on my PC,which can run Modern Warfare 2 at maximum setting without any problem. Even the intro movie and all the video clips between levels lag. In multilayer games, the graphics also lag so bad that I find sniper rifles almost useless. Disabling demo recording might help a little bit, but the lag is still quite an issue.

The sound effects of Black Ops is terrible. In MP games, the weapons sounded like fireworks and the flash bangs make a really weird sound when you throw them.In-game voices sounds very retarded. Sometimes your own footsteps sound like someone walking behind you.The announcements from radio sounded like cheap ass recording too.

MP maps are ridiculously CQB-focused.

In-game texts look so ugly that it looked like some cheap ass rip-off of MW2

When you hit shift to start sprinting,you can't stop sprinting by hitting shift again.You have to stop moving or wait till stamina runs out.

The way characters move are much less realistic than MW2. It made the game seemed like CS.

One tiny but retarded thing is that when you change the resolution,no matter which arrow you click,the resolution will always change in ascending order.

There are also issues with connections as a lot of official servers are very unstable.

The perks have been rearranged into different categories,and the categories didnt make much sense.

The COD point was a good idea and I liked the new modes in wager match. just wish they had it in MW2. After a little while i realized that COD points are just worthless, since they are so easy to earn in ranked games and there's no point of gambling in wager matches at all.

Anyways the above were my major complaints. Overall the gameplay experience is terrible compared to MW2. I'd say its a very average shooter, and because of being overhyped, my score of this game drops from average to bad.
  51. Nov 12, 2010
    It's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and IIt's hard to trust reviews these days. I understand that a review (professional or otherwise) is just one person's opinion but unfortunately game reviews influence people and affect game sales. I'm really confused with this game. First off, I'm too old to be a fanboy of any kind but I like the COD series. I liked the first and loved COD 2. I didn't like COD 3 but I loved COD 4 MW and I think it's the highlight of the series and by far the best game. Then came COD WAW which was alright but nothing memorable and after that came COD MW 2. Now that was a good game, not as impressive as COD MW but still a good game that improved on its predecessor in most aspects, a worthy sequel. I was expecting at least this much from Black Ops, to be a worthy sequel. I didn't care about what studio (treyarch, infinity ward) made what, I was just expecting a good COD game but unfortunately BO is not a good COD game. It is just another alright FPS like COD WAW but that's all it is, nothing more. In fact this game is a class down from COD MW 2. The visuals are worse. Some textures look really bad and there is an overall luck of detail. The environments although varied are unimpressive. The same old factories, abandoned facilities, wrecked buildings and some outside environments that we'seen before again and again. Honestly people who say that the graphics are better than MW2 even MW need their eyes checked.
    The story that's supposedly interesting is nothing more than the flashbacks of a CIA operative's memories. People question you about topic A and you are taken to a battle. Then there is topic B and another battle. The battles don't have a start or a finish. You are thrown into a chaos of bullets and fight your way out. You feel very rushed and can't enjoy it. It seems as if they sew together random firefights and big set pieces just for the sake of impression. The sounds are bad. The weapons don't sound powerful enough and don't feel powerful either. The explosions are generic. The smoke is last gen. In fact this game seems like a last gen game with a next gen makeup.
    The good thing about this game is the multiplayer which basically steels most ideas from MW2 and adds a few things on top. It is enjoyable and much easier than MW2 but on the bad side there are lots of disconnections. Overall I'd say rent first.
  52. Dec 8, 2010
    Way over rated people. Who is giving these 10's, 15 year olds?!

If you are over 21 years old, and have ANY experience playing FPS (Battlefields, Half life mods, etc..) then you will throw up in your mouth playing this piece of crap.

Save your money, play it at your friends house. It sucks!
  53. Nov 10, 2010
    The single player lives up to the Call of Duty high end gameplay with smart AI and stunning visuals. However, the multiplayer, in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 is substandard and certainly a step back in terms of overall enjoyment, entertainment and sense of achievement. A bizarre new "COD Points" system is hard to understand and will confuse first timers. The graphics in Multiplayer toThe single player lives up to the Call of Duty high end gameplay with smart AI and stunning visuals. However, the multiplayer, in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 is substandard and certainly a step back in terms of overall enjoyment, entertainment and sense of achievement. A bizarre new "COD Points" system is hard to understand and will confuse first timers. The graphics in Multiplayer to me were pretty dreadful. Were talking the latest and greatest COD on a HD 1080p Samsung and it felt like i was playing World at War on a CRT. Certainly does not live up to the hype. Expand
  54. Nov 10, 2010
    I'll have to agree with most of the other naysayers as this game is just not as polished or refined as we have come to expect from the Infinity-Ward COD:MW series. While I do like the story line better than MW2 as that one was just too "over-the-top", it's still not nearly as intense as the original MW. I had high hopes that Treyarch would be able to pickup where IW left off but it justI'll have to agree with most of the other naysayers as this game is just not as polished or refined as we have come to expect from the Infinity-Ward COD:MW series. While I do like the story line better than MW2 as that one was just too "over-the-top", it's still not nearly as intense as the original MW. I had high hopes that Treyarch would be able to pickup where IW left off but it just isn't there. Maybe we'll get lucky and former IW guys will come out with their own new series. Expand
  55. Nov 10, 2010
    Treyarch finally made a downgraded Call of Duty game. As soon as I got the game, I went straight to multiplayer and expect a very solid gameplay like MW2! I was wrong. Call of Duty: Black Ops is a step down to Call of Duty series. World at War is way better in the multiplayer department; smooth and polished. BO...feels so stiff,unresponsive delay with my lightning fast fingers and FRAMETreyarch finally made a downgraded Call of Duty game. As soon as I got the game, I went straight to multiplayer and expect a very solid gameplay like MW2! I was wrong. Call of Duty: Black Ops is a step down to Call of Duty series. World at War is way better in the multiplayer department; smooth and polished. BO...feels so stiff,unresponsive delay with my lightning fast fingers and FRAME RATE SLOW DOWN(omfg dam* s*n of a b*tch) is rampant, online! I will beat the compaign soon and sell the game s
    afterwards. If Treyarch doesn't patch this game within two week to fix the frame rate problems then I will DEFINITELY SELL THIS HALF ASS, UNPOLISHED GAME!!! Sorry treyarch, COD3 and W@W was awesome and BO seems rushed. Do a better job next time and I will buy your future titles since I am still blown away with COD3 and W@W.
  56. Nov 14, 2010
    Honestly, M3chaGr4n hits it right on the head. I could not agree more. I have been playing online shooters for over ten years and this game would have been awesome.. about 8 years ago. If Black Ops had not had the CoD tag on it & all of Activisions money for the over-whelming ad campaign no one would really care about this game. In 5 years we are going to look at this as a sad joke. IHonestly, M3chaGr4n hits it right on the head. I could not agree more. I have been playing online shooters for over ten years and this game would have been awesome.. about 8 years ago. If Black Ops had not had the CoD tag on it & all of Activisions money for the over-whelming ad campaign no one would really care about this game. In 5 years we are going to look at this as a sad joke. I pre-ordered in April and was looking forward to this game the whole time. I really thought they would fix the issues that plagued MW2; ( namely all the glitches & boosters,...etc) and give us something we have been waiting for. Instead I spent $60 to get a bargain bin reject. I bought the Hardened edition because I like the extras & the metal case. For my extra $20 bucks I got a metal case and a cheap piece of kids jewelry. Really Treyarch? I played through the campaign on veteran and took it for what it was worth; i.e.- it was okay. But, there was nothing memorable about it and was an uninspired shooter on rails with several downright bad moments. At least modern warfare had a decent campaign with some exciting moments. Black Ops consisted of; "Take this gun, shoot those guys." and ...cut scene. The AI was downright bad. I felt like I was beating on kittens. Slow, drunk kittens. But, I really bought it for the MP. Which is where I saw how big this game can truly fail. The guns all act about the same; range & accuracy rating seem to be just pretty space fillers. When I can snipe across half the screen w/ the lowest range weapon (scorpion) something is wrong. They pretty much ruined the sniper class in an effort to limit quick-scoping (which I've never been a fan of) and made the LMG's into a long-range power house. The only real difference in weapons is do you want semi, 3-rnd burst, or full auto; every thing else is pretty much the same gun with a different on-screen look. The spawn mechanic feels like it was developed during bring your kid to work day. The maps are overly cluttered with useless junk they put in, apparently just cause their intern figured out how to render it.The environments look like Black Hawk Down rebuilds. An the game-play is clunky at best. I spent two days playing MP; I did pretty well at it actually- good k/d ratio. before I just gave up and felt like I had wasted my money and was playing the same game I played like 6 years ago. Save your money, look elsewhere for your shooting fun. And hope Activision learns from this and takes the CoD franchise elsewhere. If they stay with Treyarch I am not going to waste my time and money. Seriously, the players have been pretty loyal to this franchise and we deserve a much better game. In short: uninspired, reworked rehashed same old same old that s main arrangement is that it isn't MW2. Expand
  57. Nov 24, 2010
    Hi, why the people choose 5.7 to be the mark. This game is so good! The Single player, the multiplayer, zombies! The game is so amazing!! The Platinum trophy is other challenge. Good graphics, good story, Amazing Multiplayer. I like Wager Matches!!!!
  58. Nov 28, 2010
    Well it had to happen, you look forward to a game for months and when it arrives its a huge let down, i bought the game at midnight and have given it 12+ hours of game time over 3 days to give a fair opinion.

Treyarch really have messed up with this installment in the COD series, its truly awful. Firstly the game looks rubbish, i cant believe how bad the graphics and animation are, im

Firstly the game looks rubbish, i cant believe how bad the graphics and animation are, im playing it on a 42" screen in HD and it looks terrible, its like playing a game on a PS2. When you compare the graphics and the game engine to MW2 its no where near as good, true, graphics should nt be the be all and end all but in 2010 you expect a certain standard, BO just looks awful.

The sound is my biggest problem, its so bad i find myself laughing when im playing, i play with 5.1 surround sound and it does nt work properly, im constantly thinking there is someone behind me but its my own footsteps which are coming out of the wrong speakers, then sometimes you have no footsteps fx at all, terrible. Then theres the guns, explosions, aircraft fx etc, what a joke, how can they have sat in the recording studio doing the sound fx and thought 'this sounds great'? Truly awful, some of the worst sound fx i have ever heard in a game, when you throw a grenade it sounds like you a throwing an empty tin of beans, laughable. The guns all sound the same and i have to turn up the volume 8 or 9 levels higher than MW2 just to get some oomph!

Most of the maps are rubbish, big sprawling boring rat traps, nothing interesting about them at all, and as for nuke town, whats the point?

I know its launch week, and obviously a lot of people are playing online but should nt they have anticipated this and had the servers to cope? The game is juddering around all over the place, i dont think ive played 1 game that didnt glitch, judder, motion blur or have some glitch, so dissapointing.

The point im trying to make is regarding the graphics & the sound, is that in a series (COD) or a sequel, surely the game must at least match what has gone before? and the goal should be to better the previous installment.

The graphics, animation & sound especially, are all a step backwards from MW2. Of course gameplay is the number 1 priority in any game, BUT the enjoyment of playing BO is hampered by a bad graphics engine, jerky animation and some truly awful sound fx.

I really wanted to like this game, every time ive gone to play it ive thought 'maybe this time i'll get it' but i come away disliking it even more, such a shame as there are some great ideas in there, wager matches and the theatre mode are great, but the game itself is a turkey.

Roll on MW3.
  59. Nov 19, 2010
    Basically COD 2.5
    CONTAINS no original ideas and really takes the wind out of the last ones sails.
    Good graphics, Great story, but the same damn everything else.
    Shame one you Activision
  60. Nov 28, 2010
    I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic.I'm also a little confused by all the hate. After resisting CoD for years and years, i finally gave in to this game. The online experience is wonderful, even though a match or two out of every dozen may get disconnected, at least with my internet. This really is not that much of an inconvenience. In game, the online works wonderfully. Pad lag is almost nonexistent. Framerate is fantastic. Currency and customization are deep and well-done. The new emblem designing is neat (although fewer phalluses and nazi symbols would be great). And zombies and Dead Ops are two game modes I haven't even PLAYED yet. There's quite a bit of content here. I love hte stat counters that appear at the bottom of the mulitplayer menu. Oh, and split screen is nice, even without dual log-in. (patch this in, please?) In short, this game is awesome. It really is. Maybe it's a disappointment to long-time fans, but judging THIS GAME for how good THIS GAME is, it gets a ten. Putting my internet self at risk, I call fanboyism or shenanigans on the low scores. Expand
  61. Nov 16, 2010
    There have been mixed reviews about this game, some saying it's the best thing since sliced bread ( and giving it a 10) and others that are saying it's absolutely horrible and giving it a 3 or below. I will never give a game a 10 because there is no such thing as the perfect game and you really have to put out a **** game for it to get a 3 or below. (Rogue warrior deserved that not Call ofThere have been mixed reviews about this game, some saying it's the best thing since sliced bread ( and giving it a 10) and others that are saying it's absolutely horrible and giving it a 3 or below. I will never give a game a 10 because there is no such thing as the perfect game and you really have to put out a **** game for it to get a 3 or below. (Rogue warrior deserved that not Call of Duty) As a non-hater and non-fanboy of the Call of Duty series, this is how i thought it played out.
    STORY: The story was solid. I didn't think it had the character development like modern warfare or modern warfare 2 but was definitely good. Great plot with great twists and turns along the way. Your character finally voices his opinion in this game rather than the past few Call of Duty where he was the (I'm never going to say a word ever) silent protagonist. Also the game is just as long as the other Call of Duties lasting about 5-7 hours depending on which mode you are playing.
    CONTROLS: If you played World at War you have played Black Ops. There are a few new weapons which is the only difference besides the option to dive into the prone position which is a nice touch.
    GRAPHICS: About the same as World at War. Online seems to have taken a hit but it's because they have to compensate for all the face, gun, and outfit modifications you can make to personalize your arsenal. (Which is quite awesome I thought)
    REASONS ITS BETTER THAN ITS PREDECESSOR: You use money rather than a leveling system to purchase your guns, face & gun paint, and attachments. I thought the Campaign was better than World at War because it made you feel like you were a real important character rather than Kiefer Sutherland's **** And also, who doesn't want to control a remote controlled car with C4 strapped to it!

Overall, a game definitely worth playing. I think it kept the good name of Call of Duty and lived up to it's expectations. Even if you are not a big multi-player gamer, it's campaign is worth a playthrough.
  62. Nov 17, 2010
    This game is good only when you play it with your friends, but if you don't have a console or you don't have any friends don't buy it. Few words about the campaign: It sucks...
  63. Nov 18, 2010
    I don't play Black Ops myself. HOWEVER, my roommate plays it online all the time. I am writing this from his perspective, and he seems to enjoy it. The graphics are good and the play style seems to work for him. As for me, I play World of Warcraft. While there are some similarities, the plot in Black Ops is lost to me. I will be content to play my own game, that's why I'm giving it an 8.
  64. Nov 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well. first off, i am a bit of a socialist, so it is inevitable that i would have problems with this game. but other than the commie bashing, there is little wrong with this game. while the vietnam parts are all gung ho gung ho, it would be boring if it wasnt right, were you not entertained. though the pyrotechnics are still, on a scale of 11, the storyline is much more likely to have been real, compared to MW2. and as far as the stroyline goes, i though that it was very very good. a beautiful twist, and some epic set pieces makes this a must have for many people, though if you are a commie or a socialist, then i recoment that you go into this game remembering that it is set during the cold war and it is made by Americans, so beware. and onto multiplayer. well, its prety similar to MW2, possibly even worse, but the big new feature is the training, where you can fight AI bots instead of online. this. is AMAZING. you will not belive that it is an AI. though the drawback is that you have to be connected to online even if you dont do the online figting.

and of course there is the age old argument that this game is bad because it is influencing our children. the answere to that, dont buy it for them.
  65. Nov 25, 2010
    Great addition to a FPS collection. The online is a little glitchy, but those issues will be fixed in time hopefully. All in all it is still fun and manages to warrant an upgrade from MW2.
    Story mode is very interesting and manages to keep you entertained, even though it seems quite guided.
    The addition of zombies and minor tweaks to everything make this a very balanced game. Graphics seem like they could have been a bit better. Anyone griping about this game is just nitpicking, Having a minimum of 250k online at anytime speaks for itself, don't listen to crybabies who take to the net to complain.
  66. Nov 27, 2010
    Create Class 2.0 upset me I must admit, because I was expecting full control over customization from the whole look of the character then being disappointed that the look of your character is determined by the first tier perk, like for example GHOST, the character is wearing a full gillie suit, that's fair enough but for me it's weird seeing players who you expect to be snipers runningCreate Class 2.0 upset me I must admit, because I was expecting full control over customization from the whole look of the character then being disappointed that the look of your character is determined by the first tier perk, like for example GHOST, the character is wearing a full gillie suit, that's fair enough but for me it's weird seeing players who you expect to be snipers running around with a mp5's and such, but I'm just being fussy, that's the only thing that gets me, if you could have full control over it, then that would be ace. Story is fantastic, has the COD twist to it, multi-player and zombies still hasn't disappointed. Expand
  67. Nov 30, 2010
    Great game, superb story, good customization options, new modes gun games etc, no more killstreaks gone mad which improves the multi-player (some connection issues, though not come across an online game that hasn't needed tweaked at some point) lastly theatre mode is great for showing off some kills. The amount of people that can play this for maybe an hour or the 1st few days, then comeGreat game, superb story, good customization options, new modes gun games etc, no more killstreaks gone mad which improves the multi-player (some connection issues, though not come across an online game that hasn't needed tweaked at some point) lastly theatre mode is great for showing off some kills. The amount of people that can play this for maybe an hour or the 1st few days, then come on giving scores of 0 is laughable (all probably on 3rd prestige now), Treyarch haters give it a rest please. I was a little unsure at 1st and yes the graphics are not as sharp as mw2, but this game offers so much more you won't notice after a few plays. If you're a COD fan you'll enjoy this game Expand
  68. Nov 13, 2011
    What an awful game, multiplayer is plagued with framerate problems which is making it almost unplayable. It's not as smooth as MW2 and MW3 which are running at 60fps. The best part in this game is single player which is quite good. If you're buying this for multiplayer, steer away!
  69. Nov 9, 2010
    An amazing upgrade to the last game taking the best parts from w@w and mw2 and creating a well balanced online experience. A variety of new maps and de buffing to remove the unfair advantages that plagued the previous games. Obviously treyarch have spent time listening to the community with the addition of split screen as well as the well thought out currency system.
  70. Nov 10, 2010
    Very disappointing game. Feels like a rubbish map expansion pack of Mw2 with added in crap. Single player is very average and the multiplayer is riddled with issues.
  71. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then getI have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. Expand
  72. Nov 10, 2010
    I wish people would stop rating this game so low. Yes it's similar to MW2 but it's the same franchise!
    This is the best FPS multiplayer game available on any system at the current time. The vast majority of the MP annoyances from MW2 have been resolved. Well worth picking up.
  73. Nov 11, 2010
    Best CoD yet! Great customisation. Great maps. Sound is superb (I was sat by rotting food in multiplayer map and could hear the flies behind me - surround sound).

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.
  74. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs areCall of duty black ops is exactly what it was shooting,FPS of the year, and It achieved that with gusto. MULTIPLAYER: Black ops's online play is amazing its is perfectly balanced. It is filled with great maps, and amazing guns. The customization if perfect, and the currency system works quit well. The kill streak system even that there is no nuke works great because the fight dogs are a one hit one kill, and that evens it out. CAMPAIGN: The story mode in black ops is brillant it is very well planned out, And I can say if you loved the series "24" you will absolutely love this game! It takes a complete different and I think much better way then any call of duty game EVER. Now the main character is sam Worthington from *shiver in disgust* avatar ,but other then his girlish screaming and disability to keep a steady American accent if comes though.

ZOMBIE MODE: There is nothing more i can say about zombie but if you loved the hell out of the original zombie you will love this one ven more!

Overall: this game is well worth the money It perfect other then a little beat of graphic issues ( same ones MW2 had) But therefore it is a close to perfect game. I am rating it a ten because 9 is way too harsh my official score is )( 9.8 ()
  75. Nov 14, 2010
    My bad I ment to put 6 so I'll balance it out. It was my first review and now I shall fill up space until I have written my second. Which is noooooow
  76. Nov 15, 2010
    WOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And MultiplayerWOW! I can't believe all the complainers, whiners, and "Rolling Stone Critics" here. Look at EVERY SINGLE FPS. They are ALL THE SAME!!! What NEW do you expect? Just Shoot and shut up. "It only has new maps, new weapons, new perks, new, new, new" hang on a second... what's EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN? The Campaign is Amazing. The story is great. I love that the Zombies are back. And Multiplayer is awesome with all the NEW THINGS!! (Why change something that's good... Just add more good!!) For those of you who constantly compare graphics to PS2. Go play PS2 and if you still think it looks the same, go see an eye doctor. Sure it's not the BEST graphics out there, but there is nothing wrong with them either. This game deserves a better user rating than a 5.5. If you liked all the other Call of Duty games, you should like this one. (Not sure what MORE ppl are expecting. Maybe next time the prestige package should come with a blow-up doll for you guys! That might cheer you up.) Expand
  77. Nov 10, 2010
    The customization is great... Otherwise its just a 60$ carbon copy of MW2 with antiquated weapons. The really could have tried a little harder but with the popularity of the last title I guess they really didn't have to.
  78. Nov 10, 2010
    Well, before i take out my Like MW2 but... stamp, oh who we kidding, this is just MW2 with RC cars!
    Honestly though, the gameplay is almost an exact replica of MW2, just including a few different or reworked weapons. However, i do applaud Treyarch for implementing the new system for getting attatchments, i do prefer the money system as opposed to trying to get 40 headshots just to unlock a certain attatchment. The Contract system is ingenius, causing players to have new challenges in which to keep gameplay active. Chopper kill streaks, something i've never enjoyed since MW came out, still seem annoying and incredibly overpowered, nothing like spawning and dying over and over again while trying to shoot your launcher to destroy it. The default Rocket launcher only comes with one bullet, so save using scavenger or dying your SOL destroying any killstreaks that will rape you over and over. The fact that Ghost/Cold blooded doesnt prevent you from being invisible from AI controlled choppers causes an eye twitch that can only be defined as "unhealthy". Launch day was ripe with lag and bugs, and from everyone i've been speaking to it seems to frame chop at the worst of times.

Anyone noticed that the spawn AI in this game is abysmally horrible? Spawn zones are incredibly random and poorly chosen, often sticking you within view of multiple enemies or spawning you at the same time within spitting distance of the other team. The change back to dedicated servers has made my pants incredibly happy, giving you an excellent choice of what gameplay you'd enjoy playing, however more information to view the server is something i'd like to see implemented, does the server play a mix of game modes? where is it located, whats the IP? it seems the console join command doesnt work. you can't join a friend on a server that is alread in progress, he has to send you the invite otherwise you have to manually find the server in the browser. The ability to make parties is gone, which is something i'd like to see put back in to make it easier to join/find matches with a group of friends.

Overall it will be a decently solid game if they fix the lag and spawn issues but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I paid my peices of silver and plan to enjoy it, however i'm dissapointed with the end product and makes me believe that treyarch is going to need a few well placed staff changes in their programming and balancing departments before i'll consider them a "worthy developer"
  79. Nov 12, 2010
    Shocking effort, worst COD game ever. Im shocked that some people like this, its awful. What eyes are they looking through? What game are they playing? Is their TV better than mine? I have a HDTV Toshiba Regza and MW2 looks and plays spot on. This game makes me feel like i have entered a time warp and gone back to playing PS2. Im disgusted to be quite honest. I returned my copy saying myShocking effort, worst COD game ever. Im shocked that some people like this, its awful. What eyes are they looking through? What game are they playing? Is their TV better than mine? I have a HDTV Toshiba Regza and MW2 looks and plays spot on. This game makes me feel like i have entered a time warp and gone back to playing PS2. Im disgusted to be quite honest. I returned my copy saying my Mrs had already got me it and bought another game instead. I seriously think some of the 'official' reviewers have been bought off. Outrageously bad game. Expand
  80. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system piping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  81. Nov 9, 2010
    OUTSTANDING in every way! Fascinating single player campaign story and multiplayer rocks. Wager Match is the BEST! I absolutely love this game! It's the BEST CALL OF DUTY EVER!
  82. Nov 11, 2010
    This is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find aThis is for all of the negative reviewers: stop whining And go back to playing MW2 like the newbs you are. I've logged almost 45 days combined from CoD4, WaW, MW2, BFBC2, MoH, have a life, a wife, and a job. Yes, there are youngsters running around that can out play me, but I'm better then most at FPS, and this game, I can say honestly, is incredible! In every poor review you will find a mention of poor graphics, or a comparison to MW2, the campaign, or the frame rate, or some other lame excuse as to why you are most undoubtably getting handled in this game. I'm writing this in hopes the reader reads this after they read everything else: below you will find a matter-of-fact review of this brilliant game.

In short, no one buys a game for the campaign anymore so stop filling your reviews with critiques on it; post it on Facebook or something because no one cares. The only time anyone decent at these games play the campign is when they need to unlock something, or their Internet is down and they need their fix. Stop comparing it to the superhuman, camper/tube paradise that is MW2: that game is crap and everyone who still regards it as good should go pitch a tent in Summit and stop badmouthing a good game because you suck. Same goes for you quickscopers since I'm sure contributing to the bad reviews...don't worry I'm sure you'll find some way to exploit this game as well in order to make up for your lack of skilll. So let's be honest, the game is great. The game is also harder then MW2. There are hints of both MW2 and WaW, but the game is closer to CoD4...which is a good thing. Yes there is room for improvement, but overall, the stats, the customizations, the difficulty, and the gameplay in general, make this game a must gor any FPS gamer...don't recommend if you are a newb toobing camper.
  83. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is an amazing shooter! The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD entries and is nice and all but we all know that the primary sell point for COD is the great multiplayer experience! The game is exceptionally well made, graphics, story, etc.
  84. Nov 21, 2010
    Dissapointing to say the least, this game does not feel any different from MW2, I actually still enjoy MW2 much better. The zombies are lacking and do not stand up to the fun of the W@W zombies. Have not played campaing but i expect it to be pretty good as most COD campaigns are. DO NOT GET THIS GAME, rent it first it is not worth 60$..
  85. Nov 9, 2010
    Underwhelming... a lot of cool new content but it feels crammed in. The graphic design is cheap & not clear, game play not as vibrant as MW2. Feels more of an arcade shoot-em-up then MW2 does.
  86. Nov 9, 2010
    Treyarch is the poor mans call of duty maker.

The game despite using the same graphics engine as the butter smooth running mw2 stutters and suffers from bad framerates, The campaign is a horrible missmatch of playing for a minute then watching a horrible in game graphics fmw then playing for a minute then.. well you know what.

Leave call of duty to infinity ward please.
  87. Nov 29, 2010
    Black ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and forBlack ops is good solid fun and has lots of good content, so I fail to see why so many negative scores. There are loads of modes and goodies, better multiplayer than a lot of games out today and has the best CoD campaign in possibly the last 3 or 4 CoD games. I give this high marks for the sheer improvement on single player (which has been going by the wayside in this series) and for keeping multiplayer crisp. Plus, zombies! Everybody loves zombies. Expand
  88. Nov 16, 2010
    Preview:
    Preview:
    I have never looked forward to any game this much in over 20 years of gaming! I never imagined I could be this disappointed! Online is a shambles with all the server problems! Zombies is really boring, if I want a zombie game, I'll play resident evil! So i pinned my hopes that the campaign would be good, started ok but then the siege of Khe Sanh, is this the worst designed level ever? I wanted this game to be so good, bought it on release day and reserved opinion despite the views of friends but they were all right, and now I'm going back to MW2 online to play a game that is actually fun!!
  89. Nov 15, 2010
    I'd like to start this review off by simply stating forget just about everything you knew about call of duty modern warfare 2 because black opps is here and it's awesome. From what I've read most of the negative reviews on this site are coming from angry fans who can no longer newb tube the whole game or quick scope from across the map and to the exclusion of that in this new title II'd like to start this review off by simply stating forget just about everything you knew about call of duty modern warfare 2 because black opps is here and it's awesome. From what I've read most of the negative reviews on this site are coming from angry fans who can no longer newb tube the whole game or quick scope from across the map and to the exclusion of that in this new title I believe we can all lift our hands to our chests and say amen. Black opps is a refreshing new title that is sure to have a say in the game of the year title right next to halo:reach. Like any game it has it flaws like small technical difficulties some multiplayer mess-ups such as.... Who am I kidding the multiplayer is almost seamless the grenade indicator is much more helpful then in the last game as well as the overall balance in the title. In MW2 it seemed like every gun was incredibly overpowered players even had the ability to dodge bullets with the tactical knife and the right perks. Speaking of which bye bye commando and (exhale breath) rejoice my brothernno more magical teleporting from 30 feet away. Now in all honestly what this game does is deliver a creative multiplayer experience with a masterful campaign filled with a storyline sure to keep you trigger finger happy and an ending that will keep your mind racing. Then just when you think that's too much hello Nazi zombies one of the most famous mini games is back and it's better then ever. Never before have I gotten to see Richard Nixon pump 6 rounds of shotgun shells into a zombie corpse or John f Kennedy blow holes through a hell hound. All in all it's an amazing game with very few flaws lots of great extras and a great campaign. This game in my opinion gets an 9 out of 10. Expand
  90. Nov 21, 2010
    Overall it is a great game with lots of extras with a good campaign and multiplayer. The campaign is one of the best in the series as well as the zombies and dead ops. But multiplayer is what one pushes it to be possibly the best call of duty yet. Despite the graphics which are down a step from mw2 the multiplayer comes through with all its new features. Split-screen online, Cod points (anOverall it is a great game with lots of extras with a good campaign and multiplayer. The campaign is one of the best in the series as well as the zombies and dead ops. But multiplayer is what one pushes it to be possibly the best call of duty yet. Despite the graphics which are down a step from mw2 the multiplayer comes through with all its new features. Split-screen online, Cod points (an in-game currency used to buy a number of things), split screen with AI bots, wager matches, and possibly the best part is a more balanced weapons system. They also bring lots of great maps, weapons, perks, and killstreaks to make it, in my opinion the best call of duty yet. Expand
  91. Nov 10, 2010
    An honest review, the single player is entertaining, but still a hectic mess. The story is a simplistic, generic conspiracy theory that never fully makes sense. The cinematics are wild and over the top and way to frequent. There is no downtime during the game, you are constantly blowing up helicopters, escaping avalanches, and other ridiculous events. The AI is unintelligent and neverAn honest review, the single player is entertaining, but still a hectic mess. The story is a simplistic, generic conspiracy theory that never fully makes sense. The cinematics are wild and over the top and way to frequent. There is no downtime during the game, you are constantly blowing up helicopters, escaping avalanches, and other ridiculous events. The AI is unintelligent and never feels real. The objectives are often vague and hard to trigger. This single player campaign is far inferior to Modern Ware and it's sequel.

The multiplayer is nearly identical to the Modern Warfare series with a few additions. I found the money system and the wager gametypes to be a blast. They can be frustrating if you lose! The majority of the new maps are excellent with a couple that were tedious to navigate and play.

Overall, if you loved the single player campaigns that Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 had, like I did, you will not find those same campaigns here. If you loved the Multiplayer of the Modern Warfare games, you will enjoy the multiplayer for this game.
  92. Nov 10, 2010
    now i liked COD4 as for COD WAW ...eh.. COD MW2 bleck . i was not expecting much of any thing from this game and its pretty much what i got . the graphics do look pretty good . controls are solid . there are some new things for multiplayer . thats about it . the story mode is still far to short with retarded AI enimys who come out in infinite waves . the online is pretty much been therenow i liked COD4 as for COD WAW ...eh.. COD MW2 bleck . i was not expecting much of any thing from this game and its pretty much what i got . the graphics do look pretty good . controls are solid . there are some new things for multiplayer . thats about it . the story mode is still far to short with retarded AI enimys who come out in infinite waves . the online is pretty much been there done that (YAWN) even though they slightly improved it with the credit system itsstill the same old run around like a chicken with your head cut off and shoot every thing that moved much like the bizzilion other online FPS games . treyarch takes no chances to try to wow you they just slightly add a few new things slap a new name on the case and there you go. die hard COD fans im sure will suck this up like a pig in a crap pile . if you where getting bored with COD and was hoping this game would revitilize your love for this game keep on waiting. Expand
  93. Jan 9, 2011
    I PLAYED THIS GAME AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE YESTERDAY AND I DIED A LOT IN MULTIPLAYER I COULDN'T GET ENOUGH HALO CREDITS TO BUY THE GRENADE LAUNCHER AND WHY THE HELL DOES THE SHOOT BUTTON THROW GRENADES ITS NOT FAIR THE GRAPHICS ARE SO BAD IT MIGHT AS WELL BE FOUR PIXELS MOVING ACROSS THE SCREEN IN THE THIRTY MINUTES I PLAYED I FOUND OUT WHY XBOX 360 IS 75739476394732 TIMES BETTER AND WHY HALOI PLAYED THIS GAME AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE YESTERDAY AND I DIED A LOT IN MULTIPLAYER I COULDN'T GET ENOUGH HALO CREDITS TO BUY THE GRENADE LAUNCHER AND WHY THE HELL DOES THE SHOOT BUTTON THROW GRENADES ITS NOT FAIR THE GRAPHICS ARE SO BAD IT MIGHT AS WELL BE FOUR PIXELS MOVING ACROSS THE SCREEN IN THE THIRTY MINUTES I PLAYED I FOUND OUT WHY XBOX 360 IS 75739476394732 TIMES BETTER AND WHY HALO REACH IS THE BEST COD GAME YET Expand
  94. Nov 19, 2010
    no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!!no long review here....$650 million in five days...eat your heart out Halo series and MOH...end RANT...another COD for the shelf!!! *edit* - after 11 days out...3arch/activision listened, most of the problems with this game have been fixed :) Expand
  95. Nov 19, 2010
    Are you all playing the same game I am? This is without doubt the best ps3 game ever created. It's almost like buying 2 games in one with the new zombie mode. It's just an incredible game that everyone should buy and try it out for themselves.
  96. Dec 18, 2010
    As far as I am concerned there hasn't been 10/10 COD since the very first game, the first MW was good but the maps and online gameplay were very weak and has only grown weaker with each game pushed out as fast as possible to make as much money as possible. Sound effects are weak and the game is buggy as hell. If you want to play a really good FPS, get into Battlefield BC, that game isAs far as I am concerned there hasn't been 10/10 COD since the very first game, the first MW was good but the maps and online gameplay were very weak and has only grown weaker with each game pushed out as fast as possible to make as much money as possible. Sound effects are weak and the game is buggy as hell. If you want to play a really good FPS, get into Battlefield BC, that game is truely amazing and craps all over COD anyday. MW is for those people who like to spray and pray and run around like a chicken with its head cut off. All up this game and its earlier versions are the worst FPS games I have every played. Expand
  97. Jan 25, 2011
    Review of PS3 Version:

I actually played Black Ops the other day at my girlfriend's house on the 360 and it looked sharper, the colors were more vivid although the graphics are not impressive, the PS3 version looks washed out and the sounds for each gun are terrible. Sounds: Guns are generic and indiscernable between an AK-47, Enfield, an M16 or a Skorpion submachine gun. Suppressors
    Review of PS3 Version:

Sounds:

Guns are generic and indiscernable between an AK-47, Enfield, an M16 or a Skorpion submachine gun. Suppressors make it sound like a paintball gun. It's to the point where you feel like your weapon is underpowered all the while you can't tell them apart anyway in the battlefield. For multiplayer, grenades sound like they got thrown into a basement which come off as muffled and unimpressive.

Killstreaks sound effects like dogs, chopper gunner, etc. have good sound but the overall battlefield sounds take away from the fun and becomes really distracting to people who regilarly played MW2 or BF:BC2.

Graphics:

Graphics were manageable but ugly in Multiplayer. Whats worse is on the PS3 version, the combination of horrible online lag and fugly graphics make a COD as others said "step backward" from IW's MW2 last year. Gameplay:

Treyarch (the company that produced this year's COD game, last year Infinity Ward created Modern Warfare 2 for those whom may not know) made significant improvements (removed the tactical nuke, One Man Army, Commando, Tactical Insertion limited to team based games, Killstrak kills don't count towards Killstreak multiplier, etc.) in theory but the basic gameplay and fluid feel that we were used to in MW2 are non-existent.

Treyarch includes Nazi Zombies, which was interesting but a good way to breakaway from playing MP and SP, added more customization allowing you to create your own emblem with pre made artwork and included new types of MP matches (Wager MAtch to gamble your earnings) but despite all the hype and granduer, it simply suffers from not being able to handle basic tasks as a fun shooter.

For a game hyped as much as this, its a shame that Treyarch could not shake the negative perception of the quality of their games. Any true hardcore gamer or even casual gamer can read past the glowing reviews from gaming sites that conveniently omit any of these major issues on the PS3. The lag makes it impossible to line someone up in your sights to finish a kill, the maps are tiny, create lots of hiding spots for campers and are not conducive to snipers, graphics look sloppy/fugly and the sound of each gun is laughable for a game that set records...again!

Bottom line: I really want to try and enjoy this game. All of the extra new features, Zombie Nazis, the Cold War feel of the SP, cleaning up the cheap tactics from MW2 and improving the MP experience but I can not convince myself that this is a game worth my hard earned money.

I played this game until I reached level 21 in MP and regret I even decided to go that far.

I first got into playing FPS online with my PS3 playing COD4 MW but it seems like Infinity Ward has more polish, ingenuity and skill at making games for the COD series.
  98. Apr 21, 2011
    When there are games that are so hyped up and compel you to purchase them and don't live up to their exceptions, you can say you have truly wasted your money.
  99. Jan 4, 2011
    This game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or theThis game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or the AK74u as these are the most overpowered guns in the game.

The worst thing is - Modern Warfare 2 outclasses this game. And i'm not exaggerating. Modern Warfare 2 has it's flaws but they're a lot more bearable than the ones Treyarch have left in their terrible game. I hope Activision drop Treyarch after this abysmal attempt at what is supposed to be the biggest video game franchise in the world.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!