3.1

1. Nov 10, 2011
    Tried this game in a store on a console and was COMPLETELY convinced I was playing MW2 the entire time. this game is an insult to the gaming community, it's a digital Bigmac; it smells and looks pretty tasty but after you've had a taste you just want to puke.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    SP will be very familiar to players of previous entries in this seris with fighting through similar looking streets against generic personality-free bad guys and the odd vehicle section. no emotional involvement and lots of scene changes don't help the short 6hr campaign. MP is the same as ever with tight small maps - lots of unlocks and new modes that all play the same don't distractSP will be very familiar to players of previous entries in this seris with fighting through similar looking streets against generic personality-free bad guys and the odd vehicle section. no emotional involvement and lots of scene changes don't help the short 6hr campaign. MP is the same as ever with tight small maps - lots of unlocks and new modes that all play the same don't distract from the fact this is almost identical to MW1.

disappointing and almost insulting how little has changed across 3 games and 4 years of development.
  3. Nov 10, 2011
    Sept 14, 2009 - Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference, San Francisco - Jeetil Patel, Analyst: "What do you think the retailers' willingness these days is to hold inventory on the video game side? Are they building positions today or are they still very reluctant and very careful of how they are buying?" Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO: "I don't think itSept 14, 2009 - Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference, San Francisco - Jeetil Patel, Analyst: "What do you think the retailers' willingness these days is to hold inventory on the video game side? Are they building positions today or are they still very reluctant and very careful of how they are buying?" Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO: "I don't think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." .... "I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression." Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    yet again releasing a half baked title just to milk the public from their money.creating controversy with every title release and causing a commotion just to get their game sold. ive rented played it and dont plan to ever again.
  5. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is horrible, you cant even create ranked custom games so that you can farm xp with your friends then be 12 years old and camp in corners and just win all day. How dumb. Also guys have guns and shoot at you, I need a game where the other players can't shoot back because I'm pretty bad.
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    Wow where to begin...recycling is a good word to use for this game I believe this game took a step down from MW2 there is nothing new at all besides some lame killstreaks and a couple game modes. Other than that it's the exact same engine and everything feels been there done that. COD Black Ops is still in my opinion one of the best games out there. It's a step up from WAW and innovativeWow where to begin...recycling is a good word to use for this game I believe this game took a step down from MW2 there is nothing new at all besides some lame killstreaks and a couple game modes. Other than that it's the exact same engine and everything feels been there done that. COD Black Ops is still in my opinion one of the best games out there. It's a step up from WAW and innovative MW3 has
    No innovation in it at all I bought this game off all the hype played about three matches and took it back with disappointment there needs to be something new with these games it's just the same thing over and over and gets more disappointing COD4 is still the best installment save your money on MW3 it should be called MW2 1/2 60$$ for new maps and this game was suppose to be better than BF3 of course it will outsell I mean come on its COD but fan base and reviews will just get worse. They are the madden of FPS!!!
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    Another year, and COD is back, but with terrible maps and a definite drop in quality when compared with previous efforts. No chances are taken with the multi player, at least none that pay off. You're better off grabbing a copy of MW 2 for 20 bucks. It's an all around better game. Infinity Ward(the real IW, not this gimped out in name only version) will be missed. The campaign is short andAnother year, and COD is back, but with terrible maps and a definite drop in quality when compared with previous efforts. No chances are taken with the multi player, at least none that pay off. You're better off grabbing a copy of MW 2 for 20 bucks. It's an all around better game. Infinity Ward(the real IW, not this gimped out in name only version) will be missed. The campaign is short and ridiculous but that's OK. It's COD, nobody is expecting anything more at this point. If you're into same **** just done with less quality, COD MW3 is for you. As far as I'm concerned, it's not worthy of it's price tag as it's a lesser game than it's two year old predecessor. P.S. Activision, Stop whoring our and ruining your franchises. Not everything needs to be a yearly release. You've managed to kill Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk by running them into the ground..and with the release of the latest Spiderman it looks like you're going that direction there as well. Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2011
    Why is this game **** on the ps3? Graphics are not as good as the 360. The developers never talk about ps3 and they didn't let us install to hard drive so textures stream 2-3 secs slower giving a blurry image. BF3 has a new engine and dedicated servers where as mw3 is still tweaking cod4 engine.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    Dear God, make it stop. It's like playing a game of Even or Odd with the hairs on my scrotum. It's like playing Five Finger Fillet with a bandsaw. It's like shooting myself over and over again in the face with a pellet gun. It just doesn't stop hurting. Please, for the love of God, stay away.
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    The Game is GREAT, Especially the story mode. Full of action..simply amazing. The multiplayer is VERY balanced over mw2, still kind of laggy. Spec ops is very fun as well as survival mode. Also graphics are slightly improved over the last game, lighting effects are better as well as smoke effects.
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    $60 map pack, Elite is just an extension of Activision's ego as if we don't have anything else to spend our money on this november. This franchise either needs to: take a few years off or just die slowly in a fire.
  12. Nov 10, 2011
    Activision makes the same game, every year. The same 2007 engine that make us all bored. The multiplayer still the same crap as ever. But the single player really shocked me, its a really good conclusion to the series with all the makarov story telling and the third world war. To the people wondering if this game worth it i tell you: No, just rent the game and play the single playerActivision makes the same game, every year. The same 2007 engine that make us all bored. The multiplayer still the same crap as ever. But the single player really shocked me, its a really good conclusion to the series with all the makarov story telling and the third world war. To the people wondering if this game worth it i tell you: No, just rent the game and play the single player campaing instead of buying for the multiplayer. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2011
    It's actually pathetic that people are wasting their times writing bad reviews just to lower the user scores. Ok this game is nothing different to what the Call of Duty games already are, but to sit there and say it's rubbish and that little effort has gone into it is pathetic. It's a case of don't fix what isn't broken, it simply is an update of the most incredibly addictive game. YouIt's actually pathetic that people are wasting their times writing bad reviews just to lower the user scores. Ok this game is nothing different to what the Call of Duty games already are, but to sit there and say it's rubbish and that little effort has gone into it is pathetic. It's a case of don't fix what isn't broken, it simply is an update of the most incredibly addictive game. You don't see this when FIFA do nothing more than update transfers, improve the graphics slightly and change the kits every year? There are better games out there, but criticizing someone for paying for a game that gives them hours upon hours of enjoyment? Get off this website and do something better with your life, and let people enjoy it. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    What a let down, a full blown map pack with new weapons is what this should've been. Campaign was pretty awesome but sadly the multiplayer aspect is let down by a lack of innovation and continues to use the now aging COD4 engine. The only good thing about this game is the Kill Confirmed mode the rest is a rehashed mess.

Pros + Awesome campaign + Kill confirmed Cons - Same old game and

Pros
    + Awesome campaign
    + Kill confirmed

Cons
    - Same old game and lack of innovation
    - Poor hit detection online
    - Doesn't offer anything new
  15. Nov 10, 2011
    It's a sad state of affairs when the video game industry hands out review scores of 9-9.5/10 for any big name title. Modern Warfare 3 is completely undeserving of the fanfare which has greeted it. It completely lacks innovation. Graphically underwhelming, ridiculous story with hold-my-hand linear gameplay, and multiplayer which is overpopulated by 12 years olds on a caffeine high, or theIt's a sad state of affairs when the video game industry hands out review scores of 9-9.5/10 for any big name title. Modern Warfare 3 is completely undeserving of the fanfare which has greeted it. It completely lacks innovation. Graphically underwhelming, ridiculous story with hold-my-hand linear gameplay, and multiplayer which is overpopulated by 12 years olds on a caffeine high, or the more "elite" who hide in a corner of the map and wait for you to run by. If this had been my first exposure to the COD franchise, I may have considered an average score. However, this game does nothing to improve on an already successful franchise. Complete waste of time and a backwards step for the industry. Expand
  16. Nov 10, 2011
    this video-game is the biggest waste of money, i haven't enjoyed a COD game since MW1. Activation just pumps these things out with out any thought to make mad bank off high-schooler's parent's dime. it seems the reason a huge chuck of infinity ward's staff left is because they couldn't bare the continued commercialization and pipe line that produces the same old game year after year.this video-game is the biggest waste of money, i haven't enjoyed a COD game since MW1. Activation just pumps these things out with out any thought to make mad bank off high-schooler's parent's dime. it seems the reason a huge chuck of infinity ward's staff left is because they couldn't bare the continued commercialization and pipe line that produces the same old game year after year. also, the fact that Schofield has asked gamers to come to metacritic to boost MW3's score is absolutely amoral and pathetic. maybe he'd ought to design a game that changes and improves itself as Battlefield 3 has done. The professional critics who favor this game are obviously not in touch with what real gamers want and are most likely in Activision's pocket. Not trolling, but I went back to playing BF3 the same day I bought MW3 and have already sold it back to GameStop. Pathetic Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2011
    Let me say this: I'm not complaining about graphics or game play or animation or anything technical like that. It's a well-polished & smooth game and is pretty much what I expected; and still fun.

I'm just a bit disappointed with the lack of 'smarts' which could have been built into the range of gaming options. Multiplayer is great - always is. Special Ops is great. Single Player is great. But why oh why didn't they include some more tactical features from Black Ops!?

e.g.1. There's no 'Combat Training' or 'Private / Multiplayer' like in Black Ops - where you just invite a few of your mates and play an on-line level, in an on-line environment, but just against a dozen or so bots. This scenario lends it self so easily to players making their own custom games with their mates - you can take it seriously or stuff around by only playing with pistols for example - just for nothing more than a laugh.

e.g.2 In the Special Ops - they could have easily extended the number of players to 4 (or 6) where you can invite more than one friend to play Survival mode with. They should have. Again, like Zombie mode in Black Ops. It makes for a very fun night when you just grab a couple of mates & play strategically in the Survival / Wave modes of Special Ops.

Both of those examples could have added a LOT of flexibility to the times when you don't want to play on-line with (let's face it, you do get them...) idiots abusing each other from around the world. Thus, increasing enjoyment.

Why they didn't include these as playable options is beyond me. And, a bit of disappointment really at how easy that would have been to implement compared with the rest of the game.

That's why I'm giving a low score - the game runs very well and has plenty of good features. But it's simply not as versatile at it could and should have been.

Activision & Infinity Award; if you read this then take note and see if you can add it as an upgrade, or include this in your next MW5....

And for the record, yes I have half a dozen mates who think the same thing.... so I know I'm not alone in writing this.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    I honestly don't know why I bought this or why I was expecting something different from MW3, but I did and I was. It's basically an expansion pack for MW2.
  19. Nov 11, 2011
    After playing the game I am never buying another call of duty game again. MW3 is so similar to mw2 that at one point I felt I was playing mw2. How about you make bigger maps that allow vehicles. It seems like I payed 65 dollars for a new set of maps. Story mode is a complete joke. I mean come on I knows its a video game but your depicting war so make it believable. One point Im runningAfter playing the game I am never buying another call of duty game again. MW3 is so similar to mw2 that at one point I felt I was playing mw2. How about you make bigger maps that allow vehicles. It seems like I payed 65 dollars for a new set of maps. Story mode is a complete joke. I mean come on I knows its a video game but your depicting war so make it believable. One point Im running down a hill, then houses are collpasing and trees are falling, followed by me falling 100 feet into a river and surviving lol. Come on wtf. You make story mode only 5 hrs and charge 65 dollars for the game. Rip off Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    Ok, I want to start by saying COD was epic! MW2 offered some nice little changes but just couldn't reach the level of it's predecessor. And here's MW3, the story is even more convoluted, and while the action is as always blisteringly intense, without any kind of story that makes us care about who these characters are and why they are doing what they do, it feel shallow and empty and IOk, I want to start by saying COD was epic! MW2 offered some nice little changes but just couldn't reach the level of it's predecessor. And here's MW3, the story is even more convoluted, and while the action is as always blisteringly intense, without any kind of story that makes us care about who these characters are and why they are doing what they do, it feel shallow and empty and I struggled to find the energy to fight through the waves of enemies. The game is linear and while I accept that a lot of great games are heading down this linear route, the difference is that in a good game the story drives the game along, it's part of the set pieces and both co-exist. MW3 is basically set pieces interrupted by action film clichés and drivel. The multiplayer is as frantic and fun as ever and while this is the games saving grace, it's not enough to erase the disappointing single player from my memory.

Wait for the price to drop or buy it second hand for the multiplayer portion (who'd have though Activision would not take the now popular "on-line pass" money spinner)
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    Ce jeu est une merde c'est un copier coller de modern warfare 1 mais a 70 euros grosse merde du deja vu 600000000fois le solo est ennuyant a mourir les script on les connait tous il était deja présent dans mw1 le jeu est moche c'est de l'arnaque !!!!!!!!!!
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    Mw3 is just a DLC from Modern warfare 2....
    Graphic is same like MW2 (we are not idiot)
    only 2 player on survival mode. (where is fun like zombie mode ?... NOTHING)
    pat the moment, Infinity ward is a great scamer !!! 70â
  23. Nov 11, 2011
    All the negative spam is pretty unfair. If Battlefield didn't exist this would be far and away the best FPS period. But it's not. MW, MW2, and now MW3 are all very similar, as a matter of fact, if MW3 had just been DLC it would be considered the greatest DLC pack EVER.
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    This review is for you Sledgehammer. You ask to people to give a good mark, but Modern Warfare 3 is a poor game ! You should use your talent for another that Activision ;)
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    Why drop $60 on a game which had hacks and aimbots on the first day and which the developer does nothing to fix? Go to Youtube and lookup "First Ever MW3 Aimbot". Also lookup the number of bots/hacks/cheats for Call of Duty 2 you will see plenty of them that are still active and that the developer has done nothing about. That speaks volumes about this company and its' priorities. It isWhy drop $60 on a game which had hacks and aimbots on the first day and which the developer does nothing to fix? Go to Youtube and lookup "First Ever MW3 Aimbot". Also lookup the number of bots/hacks/cheats for Call of Duty 2 you will see plenty of them that are still active and that the developer has done nothing about. That speaks volumes about this company and its' priorities. It is also sad that they are going to charge you an extra charge for their Elite service when the rankings are already skewed due to aimbots. If I am going to spend $60 on this game I want support that will fix these issues and punish those that it finds cheating. They really dropped the ball on this franchise with this rushed, buggy, hacked piece of junk. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    I have been playing first person shooters since battlefield 1942, and love the battlefield and call of duty games. I have just found this site and noticed the developers of COD MW3 have seen this site and are upset with the numbers. Well they should be, the game in my opinion is very well done, however since its release date the COD elite service (which i paid extra for by buying theI have been playing first person shooters since battlefield 1942, and love the battlefield and call of duty games. I have just found this site and noticed the developers of COD MW3 have seen this site and are upset with the numbers. Well they should be, the game in my opinion is very well done, however since its release date the COD elite service (which i paid extra for by buying the hardened package) is still not functioning properly and the other game bugs, Ie. online game crashing, voice chat issues and problems with people staying in groups when entering lobbies. Thier excuse of "we didnt think it would be that popular" and that their servers were flooded is a joke, they pre sold 9 million copies! I personally am tired of buying games that companies make 100s of millions of dollars on that when released are not ready. So i hope people take notice and come here and give these game developers the poor scores they deserve until they fix thier product and release a finished and polished product that we are paying for. Something to think about... would we sit there and take it if we bought a brand new car, to find out that when we picked it up that the engine would just "lock up" while driving or that the windshield wipers would not work and accept being told by the dealers that they are working for on a patch that should fix it soon. Gamers stand up and let these companies know we Love Games but hate being ripped of by not getting the working games we pay for. Expand
  27. Nov 11, 2011
    Let me start off by saying how much of a disappointment this game is in my opinion. I absolutely hate the multiplayer in this game for a few reasons. Number one, the maps are extremely similar to previous Modern Warfare maps and they are terrible in design. Every single map is designed for one player style, the run and shoot style, and there is no depth to the maps. Sniper rifles mightLet me start off by saying how much of a disappointment this game is in my opinion. I absolutely hate the multiplayer in this game for a few reasons. Number one, the maps are extremely similar to previous Modern Warfare maps and they are terrible in design. Every single map is designed for one player style, the run and shoot style, and there is no depth to the maps. Sniper rifles might as well not even be in the game, no map accomodates the sniper rifle players need for concealment. The maps have absolutely no flow, and zero depth, there is no where to be, to protect yourself from being shot or knifed in the back. The maps have extremely long corridors of play area and I havent found a map yet that makes carrying a shotgun an advantage of any kind. I have the say, this game has the worst map selection I have ever seen in a multiplayer game. Number two, the weapons and perks. The weapons are basically the exact same from previous Modern Warfare games but 10 times worse. Every single weapon sounds almost the same, they all have almost the exact same recoil, and every weapon upgrade and attachment is a carbon copy from the last Modern Warfare. The most aggravating thing I've found during multiplayer is the lack of weapon power. If you choose the SCAR, you practically have to empty the entire clip into someone to kill them, you are equipped with enough rounds for maybe 2 or 3 kills max, and then you have to switch to your secondary weapon. I've completely given up on carrying shotguns as well, if you manage to get close enough to someone, which is almost impossible with the horrid maps, you practically have to shoot someone directly aimed to the face to kill them, body hits will not do the job. All of the killstreak perks are terrible as well. The care package booby trap is ridiculous, no one ever picks it up. The "Advanced UAV" is dumb, the strafing helicopters are impossible to shoot down, the OSPREY gunner is 100% the same as Chopper Gunner from MW2, I could go on and on. The most ridiculous thing I've seen is the "Specialist" Perks, upgrading to a new perk during killstreaks of 2-4-6. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever to utilize thing feature. The only reason I rated this game a 1, is because the Campaign isn't terrible, and the Spec-Ops and Survival Mode is kinda fun until you get bored killing computer generated players. This game is an enormous let-down, save your money and buy something else. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3 is a great package that includes the conclusion to the MW story arch, coop and multiplayer. Although it does not contain anything groundbreakingly new, fast action, amazing set pieces and smooth technical delivery warrant favorable judgment of this title.
    I do believe technically, Battlefield 3 is superior. I also prefer the latter's focus in the campaign - of small teams of military professionals doing a job - even though this job is over the top and clearly stolen from the COD/MW scriptbook. After I finished BF3, I looked up the website of the US Marines, cuz the game made me respect what these guys do.
    MW3 is more of a Jerry Bruckheimer rollercoaster ride, and combat feels more like the frantic actions you do in an arcade than on the battlefield. However, I think the execution and story are honed very much and delivered with confidence.
    On its own merits, I would rate this game 9. However, the legal and personal issues of the developers and publishers demerit this game. As consumers, we will never know the real background of the conflict, but it is clear that many people were handled unjustly. I think it's wrong that people are marking down this game in these proportions, but it does serve to send a powerful signal that consumers have very keen sensitivities in regards to how a product and its people are being handled (despite the fact that this game has become the single most successful entertainment launch in history). Because after MW3, when talent is treated poorly, there may be a backlash like with the LA Noire team. So conclusion? Good game, but the gamers don't like your company. We did buy your game though - en masse. Maybe that says more of the gamers than of the developers and publishers.
  29. Nov 11, 2011
    Cloning MW2 may be Sledgehammer´s way for taking no risks, but it doesn´t pay pay off. As a fan of the franchise I feel terrible disappointed for how they copied every single chapter, game variation of MW2 and splattered with cheese to the point of making it only fashionable for 12 olds.
    Multiplayer is crappy as hell with horrible hit detection,
    Multiplayer is crappy as hell with horrible hit detection, quickscopers,noobtubers, p2p hosting and forgettable little rat like maze maps.
    Avoid it if you consider yourself an intelligent gamer o just being money-wise.
  30. Hyu
    Nov 11, 2011
    MW3 developers asked their fanboys to give raise their metacritic rating. Just for doing this they deserve 0.
    All these 10-9 are cod fanboys reviews!
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    Same engine, game play and same cliche ending .Recicled buildings, new weapons and skins. This game only sells a lot because there are so many fanboys that accept this kind of thing. Only that. Don't waste you time and $$$$ with this.
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    Ce jeu est une blague. Aucune innovation ou très peu , il faudrait songer a arreter de prendre les gens pour des cons. Call of duty et Activision viennent détruire le jeu video avec un jeu à 9 DLC à 15 euros le DLC.
  33. Nov 11, 2011
    When Cod4 came it was a revolution in gameplay,it took a long step ahead from other Fps games, it was something new and fresh, so no doubt there is much talent in Infinity award, tho many has left

Just a shame they are wasting it all on Cod, thought Gamedevolopers was seeing themselvs as artists? Sure cod offers some entertainment but you fast get the feeling of that you have played this

Sure cod offers some entertainment but you fast get the feeling of that you have played this before
    when you can notice the same sounds and so on

i just cant understand why people think this is funny even when they have 100 of hours in the other cod games
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    Yes, this has slick voice acting and likeable characters, but in terms of gameplay, it's the same game Gregory has bought twice before.

Maybe MW2 and MW3 should have been campaign expansion/map packs for MW1! That would have been superb. Say $20 for that as downloadable content, instead of $50 as retail, where a staggering 30% goes to the shop, and a further 15% on distribution/manufacturing anyway!
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    These kind of things happens when you release a game year after year after year. The people will expect more and more and more of that game and that is what is happening with the COD franchise. The people will get to a point that it will get tired of the same thing. Changing 3 or 4 things, wont make the best game ever. I am an Metal Gear Online fan, but the problem with MGO was theThese kind of things happens when you release a game year after year after year. The people will expect more and more and more of that game and that is what is happening with the COD franchise. The people will get to a point that it will get tired of the same thing. Changing 3 or 4 things, wont make the best game ever. I am an Metal Gear Online fan, but the problem with MGO was the glitchers, it wasn't funny to play the game, on COD I found that fun feeling, that is why I gave it an 8, the game is fun and easy to play, but like many people say, this game is a reload from MW2, nevertheless, I will play it for a long time and I will buy the expansions. Expand
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    This game brings nothing new to the table, its the same game as mw2, i thought the maps in mw2 were bad, but the maps here are just awful, this should of just been an expansion pack for mw2, the single player is too short, i finished it on veteran in about 4 hours, so no reply value there, the multiplayer is an exact clone of the other games, just a disappointing game to say the least, iThis game brings nothing new to the table, its the same game as mw2, i thought the maps in mw2 were bad, but the maps here are just awful, this should of just been an expansion pack for mw2, the single player is too short, i finished it on veteran in about 4 hours, so no reply value there, the multiplayer is an exact clone of the other games, just a disappointing game to say the least, i traded for skyrim. Expand
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    ces jeu est du grand n'importe quoi j'en est marre d'être prit pour une vache a lait je vais de ce âs vendre mw3 ou plutôt mw2.5 à l'année prochaine dans le mw2.8
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    I have been a call of duty fan my whole life until now. I couldnt believe how dissapointed I was with mw3. I thought it would be a great game instead it turns out to be a stupid map pack that they could have just offered gamers of mw2 to download. Now I will be trading this game in for Uncharted 3, a game that developers actually took there time to make and made a great game
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    I have been waiting for this for ages and have to say i am sadly dissapointed! For a few minutes I actually thought i had brought the previous version. Dont waste your money folks!
  40. Nov 11, 2011
    This review is primarily about online play. If I could say anything about MW3 online is it lacks impact. It is a generic cookie cutter FPS. It lacks impact because you never truly FEEL like you have that 'boom' factor like in the other COD installments. The wow factor of killing opponents in this installment is about cardboard copy as it gets. The spawning is a complete nightmare. AnyoneThis review is primarily about online play. If I could say anything about MW3 online is it lacks impact. It is a generic cookie cutter FPS. It lacks impact because you never truly FEEL like you have that 'boom' factor like in the other COD installments. The wow factor of killing opponents in this installment is about cardboard copy as it gets. The spawning is a complete nightmare. Anyone who doubts this check out your advance UAV while people are spawning. The spawn trapping is almost by accident in some cases. I think this is a case where a name sells and quality really didn't matter. If you are looking for a generic shooter with some cool kill-streak functions but little else then this is the game for you. Personally I hoped it would rival MW2 or better but this was a sad and disappointing let down. Expand
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    60$ dlc I expect more from the big gaming company's. 2 years and all I get is a re-skinned version of MW2 with a changed leveling/perk system. Activision has the number 1 selling game out and they can not even improve their engine. They all are sitting on their fat bank account laughing at the consumers.
  42. Nov 11, 2011
    MW3 is terrible in PS3. Activision should has shamed!! Uncharted 3 and BF 3 showed the quality of the PS3 and Activison does a weak conversion or the Microsoft's Money does the difference!!
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    genial,genial!,the game is full of surprises, awesome missions and several modes,campaign,attachments....this is the best in the franchise till now and if u didn't like Black Ops so much, buy this game,it's way better than it in many ways
  44. Nov 12, 2011
    This Game is like a joke. You have to wait like 15 min to join a Lobby. And sometimes it kicks you out right before the game starts and you can wait another 15 mins to join next Lobby. Before the game ends i get "out of memory" very often and get kicked out of the lobby and the party. all the points i´ve made are gone.
    Maps are so small that you can get a kill after 3 steps.
    Maps are so small that you can get a kill after 3 steps. Spawn-whoring is too easy. I just hate this game :)
  45. Nov 12, 2011
    So many great shooters out there now like Gears of war 3 , killzone 3 , halo and then you have this crap. It's the same crap as before over and over and over. Nothing really new. Activision knows this and will not change because poeple will still buy this crap. Don't waste your money, thier are to many great shooters out there to buy this re-done black ops. Final note : It's real sad whenSo many great shooters out there now like Gears of war 3 , killzone 3 , halo and then you have this crap. It's the same crap as before over and over and over. Nothing really new. Activision knows this and will not change because poeple will still buy this crap. Don't waste your money, thier are to many great shooters out there to buy this re-done black ops. Final note : It's real sad when Activision needs to beg fans to come on this site and post a good review. Expand
  46. Nov 12, 2011
    I suggest everyone who has not purchased MWF3 to wait. Wait until the game is readily available used, at this point the price will not be too different, but ACTIVISION will not have sold us a NEW copy of the game, we will just circulate the current copies. This will drive down their sales, and prove they can't sell a 60 dollar map pak.... or can they?
  47. Nov 12, 2011
    very disappointed bought the elite version just got ripped off they are nothing but some rich no caring scammers i haven't got 1thng promised to me for being a elite member. even now i check an it says im not a elite member bs there has to be some kinda law suit or something false advertisement or something to teach these jerks they CANT be ripping us off!
  48. Nov 12, 2011
    Is a terrible game, I hate when the camera moves when you shoot, also the multiplayer has enough errors as bugs that help one to cheat, and in campaign mode also has many bugs.
    This game is pure hype, the game sucks
  49. Nov 12, 2011
    An absolute mess of a game, (using the word 'game' here seems a bit of a stretch). Unbalanced multi-player which is essentially MW2 with slightly different maps, keeping none of MW2's strengths and all it's weaknesses. The single player doesn't fare much better either, it's another 'OH NOEZ MUSLIM TERRORISTS ARE GOINGZ TO BLOW UP AMERICA'. Not thought provoking at all, not different toAn absolute mess of a game, (using the word 'game' here seems a bit of a stretch). Unbalanced multi-player which is essentially MW2 with slightly different maps, keeping none of MW2's strengths and all it's weaknesses. The single player doesn't fare much better either, it's another 'OH NOEZ MUSLIM TERRORISTS ARE GOINGZ TO BLOW UP AMERICA'. Not thought provoking at all, not different to previous games at all. Expand
  50. Nov 12, 2011
    It is crap and has the same bad hit detection has Black Ops. The menus look like they were developed 15 years ago. Lag is terrible. Same stupid boards. No creativity. They are just sucking your money. Anyone leaving a positive score on here must of bought the hardened edition and are trying to justify the purchase by psychologically tricking themselves. They would probably puke their gutsIt is crap and has the same bad hit detection has Black Ops. The menus look like they were developed 15 years ago. Lag is terrible. Same stupid boards. No creativity. They are just sucking your money. Anyone leaving a positive score on here must of bought the hardened edition and are trying to justify the purchase by psychologically tricking themselves. They would probably puke their guts out if they did not because they got soooo Ripped. They threw down for this SNAKE OIL. Expand
  51. Nov 12, 2011
    Mr Glen Schofield (Modern Warfare 3's chief creative officer), I hope you take the time to read this review, as I have put a lot of thought and effort into wanting to express my concerns with your recent game. I am not a "troll" and have been a huge fan of the series since the first Modern Warfare title, and for the record, I am not a fan of the Battlefield series. Like most fans, I wasMr Glen Schofield (Modern Warfare 3's chief creative officer), I hope you take the time to read this review, as I have put a lot of thought and effort into wanting to express my concerns with your recent game. I am not a "troll" and have been a huge fan of the series since the first Modern Warfare title, and for the record, I am not a fan of the Battlefield series. Like most fans, I was excited when the first spoilers were being released for the new game. "How will they top the brilliant Airport scenario from MW2?" "What will happen to Soap?" "What new destinations and guns will they introduce?" "Will they develop a new engine to meet the demands of the graphical and game play enhancements they will so obviously make?" The months rolled by and small tidbits were leaked to us fans, and although many of us were worried that, perhaps, the shift and changes made at Infinity Ward may affect the final product, we never gave up hope that it would be a good game. After all, anything would be better than the below average single player, poor in-game physics offering of Black Ops. That game, as well as this one, would only be compared to the best in the series: Modern Warfare 2. Surely, then, seeing as the last Call of Duty game made steps forward in the industry that the latest addition would do the same? No. The fact of the matter is this game is so bad it makes me want to play Black Ops, and I recall thinking to myself (as I unwrapped and gleamed with joy at the chance of playing MW3) "I'd rather take a cheese grater to my scrotum that have to play Black Ops again". This will be painful.

Mr Schofield, why are the graphics so poor compared to EAâ
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    Times are really bad, there are 25 million unemployed people, me included even though i have a resume that would have landed me in a corner office a decade or so ago, now i can't even get an interview because of it. At $70 after tax i could only buy one of the 5-10 great games that came out recently or within the next month. Based on loving MW2 i decided i would basically eat bread andTimes are really bad, there are 25 million unemployed people, me included even though i have a resume that would have landed me in a corner office a decade or so ago, now i can't even get an interview because of it. At $70 after tax i could only buy one of the 5-10 great games that came out recently or within the next month. Based on loving MW2 i decided i would basically eat bread and water for a week and not care because i would love MW3 so much. Based on IGN and many publisher reviews of 9.5's and even 10's (which were criminal looking back), i spent what little money i had $70 to buy the game. After 1hr i realized something was wrong, did i reinsert the MW2 disc or even COD1 by accident. It felt like i was playing an old game. It was then and only then (after launch) i found out it was using the same engine from a game that came out in 2002. Never before in gamming history have a seen a title regress from it's predecessor. MW3 and IGN owe the gaming community an apology as well as their $70 back. Shame on all the "paid off" critics for 9.5's and 10's they should be investigated and criminally charged for fraud and false advertisement. When you buy something new it's suppose to be new. If i bought a 2011 car i wouldn't be happy if they threw in the engine of an older model. ZERO Expand
  53. Nov 12, 2011
    Why buy a game that is the same as CoD4. 9 million people on 1 day that they give for a game same this. Lazy work, no changements. Take that Sledgehammer Games and IW.
  54. Nov 12, 2011
    WASTE OF MONEY i just REBOUGHT modern warfare 2. How can infiintity ward think that they can make a game like this that looks dated when we have games like skyrim and battlefield 3 that actually LOOK like they are from 2011. This game looks too brown and muddy "litterally" Also there have been VERY LITTLE changes to this game and there are still annoying campers and the campaign is theWASTE OF MONEY i just REBOUGHT modern warfare 2. How can infiintity ward think that they can make a game like this that looks dated when we have games like skyrim and battlefield 3 that actually LOOK like they are from 2011. This game looks too brown and muddy "litterally" Also there have been VERY LITTLE changes to this game and there are still annoying campers and the campaign is the worst of the series. The DEVS are begging people to give this game a HIGHER score but they should just make better games and not try to hide the truth. DO NOT BUY THIS EXCUSE FOR A GAME. Expand
  55. Nov 12, 2011
    MW3 is the 4th CoD I've played, and it may just be the last. Like many, I thought the best version of CoD was MW1, and it's been downhill from there. Of course the game does not deserve a "0" score, nor does it deserve a "10" (indicating perfection), but it is less than mediocre in my opinion, when prior titles are better than this one. As many have said, it is little more than a mapMW3 is the 4th CoD I've played, and it may just be the last. Like many, I thought the best version of CoD was MW1, and it's been downhill from there. Of course the game does not deserve a "0" score, nor does it deserve a "10" (indicating perfection), but it is less than mediocre in my opinion, when prior titles are better than this one. As many have said, it is little more than a map pack for MW2, and the maps themselves are pretty poor. The franchise has gotten away from emphasizing skill, to making the game easy for even the most casual gamer, and dressing it up with bells and whistles that will mostly appeal to maladjusted teenage virgins. All in all as a fan of the series for the most part, I'm very disappointed that once again the marketing hype far exceeds the quality of the product, and in the end it's just more of the same tired old game that I've been playing since MW2. To add insult to injury, the game lacks many of the good design points of Black Ops, and the menus are cluttered, server matching is terrible, and the voice and sound are appalling. Major fail, but no doubt the hype machine will ensure all sales records are broken and next time we can expect a further watered-down FPS experience too. I'm just one guy, but I'm done with MW3 and have picked up a copy of Battlefield 3 instead. After about 13 hours of play, I can honestly say it's superior in every way to MW3, for anyone that has a recent level of skill. If you want ez-mode and only play a few hours a week, then MW3 will probably suit you just fine. Expand
  56. Nov 12, 2011
    It's only after playing this you realise how good Black Ops and BF3 really are. Very disappointed but not shocked i must say. Not a single player review, though not really a single player game is it? Quickscoping is back, shoot a guy a few times for him to kill you instantly with his shotgun is back, umpteen helicopters in the air at any time, massive knife lunges, two year old graphicsIt's only after playing this you realise how good Black Ops and BF3 really are. Very disappointed but not shocked i must say. Not a single player review, though not really a single player game is it? Quickscoping is back, shoot a guy a few times for him to kill you instantly with his shotgun is back, umpteen helicopters in the air at any time, massive knife lunges, two year old graphics and the maps (bar a few) are crap. They have cashed in at our expense something terrible here and i think a lot of people will buy Elite before realising how average this game is, hang your heads I Ward. Treyarch got so many things right (credit to them), wager matches, gun game and just generally more balanced gameplay where you felt you actually earned your killstreaks. I bought this game for £25 and traded it in for £35, strangely i still feel ripped off. Expand
  57. Nov 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WTF !!! ..... this game is the same thing... This COD MW2 2011 Edition ... 60$ For a Map Pack .. Total waste of money .. if you have modern warfare 1 OR 2 you have this game already .. i m Going To Try BF3 May be it is better ... Expand
  58. Nov 12, 2011
    Look at my 360 review, they are basically the same. Continue critizing this trash people. Maybe someday Activision will get it and actually produce something new and fresh, we can only hope.
  59. Nov 12, 2011
    Infinity Ward can't develop games anymore, that is clear. The Modern Warfare franchise is over. Fin. The best CoD's where by Treyarch anyway! This MW3 crap is just an expansion pack that cost 6x times the price. Activision is just trying to rake in the money to make up for their Guitar Hero FAIL, and they have no other developers who will work with or for them. I am glad I rentedInfinity Ward can't develop games anymore, that is clear. The Modern Warfare franchise is over. Fin. The best CoD's where by Treyarch anyway! This MW3 crap is just an expansion pack that cost 6x times the price. Activision is just trying to rake in the money to make up for their Guitar Hero FAIL, and they have no other developers who will work with or for them. I am glad I rented this sorry excuse for a game! Expand
  60. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very racist game... no black soldiers that you can play with.. and rampant racism online.. PASS on this game if you are African-american, they have a scene where the go to Africa and shoot up a village.. thanks Infinity Ward for giving racist people another way to shoot up black people... 55% of MW players are African american.. remember that... Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2011
    The textures on the ps3 are not as sharp as the 360 version. The game install size is a paltry 50mb where as the Hard Drive install on the 360 is over 7gb resulting in faster texture streaming, quieter console. Ps3 gets a noisy bluray, blurry textures and overheating.

The maps are tight, cramped messy looking affairs often consisting of broken structure with camping spots galore.

Enemies can get to you from 4 or 5 angles often.

The engine is 7 years old that has been tweaked here and there. BF3 has a new Frostbite 2 engine that has introduced large scale warfare maps.

The network is my biggest gripe, and when you consider it's rival BF3 has introduced dedicated servers the same old tired p2p hosted games just isn't acceptable anymore.

it's with reluctance I score MW3 so low.
  62. Nov 13, 2011
    How much iteration do we have to get before this series shows us some evolution? Why don't they just release a map pack that wipes out everyones rank an call it a day... I will only be playing BF3 until I see something new to bring me back to the series. I won't hold my breath.
  63. Nov 13, 2011
    Modern Warfare 1, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3...
    Always the same game since 5 years (same engine, same IA, same scripts...).
    Activision does not care about players.
  64. Nov 13, 2011
    I, like many others, am unbelievably disappointed by this so called new game. I understand that the COD franchise is based on a game that has a certain layout and method of game play and for years i have enjoyed them year after year. However, this game is almost identical in every way to MW2 which came out 2 years ago and somehow the makers think it is acceptable to resell an existingI, like many others, am unbelievably disappointed by this so called new game. I understand that the COD franchise is based on a game that has a certain layout and method of game play and for years i have enjoyed them year after year. However, this game is almost identical in every way to MW2 which came out 2 years ago and somehow the makers think it is acceptable to resell an existing product and falsely advertise claiming of how wonderfully revamped this game is, when there is very little improvement. The worst thing about this game has to be the problems on the PS3 when attempting to log onto online multiplayer. The existing faults with the old games have now been brought into the "new" game, with constant errors, such as, unable to migrate host and unable to connect to server. For me, this was the main reason i parted with the game 2 days after release date and traded it in to lose £10.00 on the original value.
    I have now converted to playing Battlefield 3 and i must say i was never a huge fan of the battlefield franchise, but on this occasion they have hit the nail on the head. Rant over.
  65. Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely terrible. One of the worst cod game's to date. Every COD game has been different in some way. This isn't mw3... its mw 2.5. 85% of the stuff is the same, guns, killstreaks, etc.. This game makes me appreciate Black ops. This is just a polished game of MW2, with everything patched and tweaked. Your paying $67 (Including taxes) for the same thing! The maps are cluttered, andAbsolutely terrible. One of the worst cod game's to date. Every COD game has been different in some way. This isn't mw3... its mw 2.5. 85% of the stuff is the same, guns, killstreaks, etc.. This game makes me appreciate Black ops. This is just a polished game of MW2, with everything patched and tweaked. Your paying $67 (Including taxes) for the same thing! The maps are cluttered, and things are taken from older cods (ex. buildings) There is hit detection lag, laggy servers. This is nothing special. Not worth living up to the hype. I want a refund. Terrible game. Do not recommend. Expand
  66. Nov 14, 2011
    Always cliche, too many so-called explosion completely lost freshness, there is no innovation, no fun at all, has been too lazy to say COD, no innovation waiting to hell, I do not know what people are so boring to play this game.
  67. Nov 14, 2011
    Basically a re-packaging of MW2 with very slight differences, i got the game on release date and within 2 hours of playing i wanted to trade it in. Infinity ward should be ashamed of this lazy attempt at a game, its really just recycled gameplay that's going to be spewed out year after year and you're paying £40 for it. If you really want to play it i would advise renting it
  68. Nov 14, 2011
    Sadly this game is nothing new and I feel as though I wasted my money. It may be worth it once its $20 because its essentially a map pack with a 4-5 hour campaign expansion as well.
  69. Nov 14, 2011
    THIS GAME IS THE WORST GAME THAT I HAVE EVER SAW IN COD SERIES. Graphics not bad. Its just terrible. They make a game that have a 7-years old gameplay,graphic and many things. In previous games they made something good and interesting, but there they just press ctrl+c; ctrl+v;ctrl+v.
  70. Nov 14, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I own every single call of duty game ever made for consoles. I still rank cod4 as one of the best first person shooter games ever made. Unfortunately, MW3 has been an upsetting dissappointment. In the prior two modern warfares, I have enjoyed folliwing captain price around on his missions and this one is no different. Some older characters have even beenLet me start off by saying that I own every single call of duty game ever made for consoles. I still rank cod4 as one of the best first person shooter games ever made. Unfortunately, MW3 has been an upsetting dissappointment. In the prior two modern warfares, I have enjoyed folliwing captain price around on his missions and this one is no different. Some older characters have even been brought back. My enthusiasm at the exciting story almost overcomes the fact that it took me only 4 and a half hours to play through it. Spec ops is fun with a buddy, and survival is mildly entertaining. This however, is where my praise stops. Multiplayer is very similar to MW2, but actually got worse. Before someone says that I am just whining because I am bad at the game, let me be clear. My kill-death ratio is 2.83 and I have won almost every game I have played, I would consider that good. The maps are small and uninteresting, and almost all of them seem to be in a town or city. There are new weapons, but none of them really feel interesting. Even most of the new killstreaks are very similar to the old ones. Juggernaut is unique, but after about ten times it gets old. I understand that support streaks were added to help players who weren't the best fighters, but it had an unforseen effect. The sky is never clear, and other than in search and destroy, you will always be getting attack from the air by something. I am angered by the fact that the developers will make hundreds of millions of dollars on this game, it doesn't teach them anything. They didn't put enough effort into making it better than MW2 and were content to just make a similar game. The uninteresting maps mean that even by the time you reach level 50 the game won't have grown on you and it never will. Please don't waste your money on this game, make the developers want to give us a better game next time. I for one, will not buy another Call of Duty until an effort is made to make each game feel different than the last. Expand
  71. Nov 14, 2011
    I play COD because i know what it is. Fast paced FPS action and an easy game that gives me a brake from the everyday life. When a new COD comes out i don't expect the invention of an new genre og game. It always feels familiar and i know exactly what to expect: my favorite game with some new maps, new time setting, new weapons and new kill streaks. Only thing i really really do need thoughI play COD because i know what it is. Fast paced FPS action and an easy game that gives me a brake from the everyday life. When a new COD comes out i don't expect the invention of an new genre og game. It always feels familiar and i know exactly what to expect: my favorite game with some new maps, new time setting, new weapons and new kill streaks. Only thing i really really do need though is better coding that Black Ops and that developers listen to gamers. I stopped playing MW2 because of hackers and nothing ever seemed to be done about them. And now they are back in MW3, ALREADY!!?? But the question is will they do something about them this time? Why is there no voting system in the loobys? It seems developers just don't care about anything but the money, because these problems are the same in MW2 and have been from the beginning. A game they have had a years to fix by now.

I would have given the game a 10 if not for the feeling that developers just don't care.
  72. Nov 14, 2011
    Very disappointed, I was looking forward to this game but after couple of hours I was bored of it cause it feels like an expansion pack for mw2. They did nothing but recycle everything from 2 and release it as a new game when really there is nothing new about it. Ill stick with BF3
  73. Nov 14, 2011
    I enjoyed the single player but the multi-player was the same old crap. Activision rakes in millions off this series and the least they could give us, console gamers, is Dedicated Servers. This would fix the connection interruption, Host migration and hit marker lag. I've loved the COD series up till Black Ops, this is where i started to get bitter. Playing MW3 sealed it. I feel like I'mI enjoyed the single player but the multi-player was the same old crap. Activision rakes in millions off this series and the least they could give us, console gamers, is Dedicated Servers. This would fix the connection interruption, Host migration and hit marker lag. I've loved the COD series up till Black Ops, this is where i started to get bitter. Playing MW3 sealed it. I feel like I'm playing MW2 (not a bad thing) and paid 60 bucks for an expansion pack. It's tragic but people will continue to drink the Koolaid that Activision sells. I for 1, unless the next one is innovative, am done with the COD series. Expand
  74. Nov 14, 2011
    Infinity Ward accomplished everything they had hoped to in their own mind, but the final product falls short in the eyes of a true FPS gamer. Modern Warfare 3 looks and feels slick and streamlined for the first hour or two and the novelty, if you can call it that, wears off shortly after. In my opinion this game is nothing more than a hybrid between Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. TheInfinity Ward accomplished everything they had hoped to in their own mind, but the final product falls short in the eyes of a true FPS gamer. Modern Warfare 3 looks and feels slick and streamlined for the first hour or two and the novelty, if you can call it that, wears off shortly after. In my opinion this game is nothing more than a hybrid between Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. The thing is, when you combine the elements of two best-selling games, the distinctiveness tends to get a wee bit diluted. I'm not going to go as far as saying that this is a bad game because it isn't. But it is a forgettable game, the likes of which hasn't been seen in the CoD series in quite some time. Infinity Ward raised the bar for itself so high that even Shaq couldn't pole vault it. A future best seller, but nothing to phone home about. Expand
  75. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is just a repacked retweaked version of modern warfare 2 it feels like I am playing the exact same game. Infinity ward made absolutely no innovations to the COD series, and I bet that they won't next year when another calladooky comes out, it has so much hype and it so much suck's. save your money for battlefield 3 now that's a real first person shooter game.
  76. Nov 14, 2011
    MW3 stinks. When I first played MW1 my jaw dropped off the floor. And then when I got MW2 I did not see any improvements. After that I realized that what Activision really wanted is our $$. Since then I avoid COD's and MW's.
  77. Nov 14, 2011
    La misma mierda (The same Shi@#$% diferent smell. There is no innovation in this game. is the same as MW2, then complain that the scores are low, they can expect from a copy and paste.

nfinity Ward Recycles Buildings on MW3 Straight From Cod4
  78. Nov 15, 2011
    Although Modern Warfare hits some of the same notes that MW2 does, IW and Sledgehammer did breathe more life into the franchise to make the game more than just a MW2 clone. Yes, the focus is on multiplayer, but the additions to MW3 versus the past force gamers to switch their loadouts in order to gain levels quicker. In that aspect, its a plus in my book

As far as the single player

As far as the single player campaign goes, MW2 left you what can be considered a cliff hanger. continuing the story where it left off was well done by the IW/Sledgehammer staff.

Spec Ops, at least for me, is where it got more interesting. The survival mode proved to be a very fun endeavor for me. That new mode seemed very original to me. Props to IW/Sledgehammer on that.
  79. Nov 15, 2011
    I didn't start playing COD until MW1. I always was a fan of Medal of Honor and thought that it was a cheap knock off. Then MW1 came out and it blew me away! I proceeded to per-order MW2 like everybody else. Then MW3 came out and I figured it would be as good if not better than MW2. I was wrong. The campaign is decent, nothing special. The multi-player is worse than BLOPS. I never thought II didn't start playing COD until MW1. I always was a fan of Medal of Honor and thought that it was a cheap knock off. Then MW1 came out and it blew me away! I proceeded to per-order MW2 like everybody else. Then MW3 came out and I figured it would be as good if not better than MW2. I was wrong. The campaign is decent, nothing special. The multi-player is worse than BLOPS. I never thought I would say that. Treyarch usually is worse than Infiiti ward. Not this time. The multi is a hot mess. I hate to agree with all the other reviews but this is NOT MW3, it is MW2.1 Very disappointing. Expand
  80. Nov 15, 2011
    Why re-invent the wheel? Seriously, the campaign is stale and just a warmup to get you familiarized with the new gear and environments. On the other hand, the buttery smooth controls, the gorgeous 60 frames per second gameplay, as well as the unmatched multiplayer community and game types, is still unrivaled across consoles. Sure it is more of the same, but the small changes areWhy re-invent the wheel? Seriously, the campaign is stale and just a warmup to get you familiarized with the new gear and environments. On the other hand, the buttery smooth controls, the gorgeous 60 frames per second gameplay, as well as the unmatched multiplayer community and game types, is still unrivaled across consoles. Sure it is more of the same, but the small changes are noticeable throughout the game that will hold your attention for months to come, or at least until the next one is released. Call of Duty Elite is a really helpful tool for noobs and pros alike and is a nice touch as well as the support/attack/specialist killstreaks. Do yourself a favor and try the game and ignore the unusual amount of 'negative' scores. Expand
  81. Nov 15, 2011
    Trollololo, Sledgehammer Games Devs asking for help in Twitter to the CoD fanboys or Beliebers of CoD to raise the note of MW3 users on Metacritic, well for me this games is the same game from the first MW, using the same Graphics Engine form MW, the only changes are Weapons and the HUD, i like the First MW Game and a bit of the MW2 but, MW3? no thanks, Activition only want the money ofTrollololo, Sledgehammer Games Devs asking for help in Twitter to the CoD fanboys or Beliebers of CoD to raise the note of MW3 users on Metacritic, well for me this games is the same game from the first MW, using the same Graphics Engine form MW, the only changes are Weapons and the HUD, i like the First MW Game and a bit of the MW2 but, MW3? no thanks, Activition only want the money of the CoD Beliebers for launch another CoD in the other year with the same Graphics Engine, CoD series are becoming a Need for Speed, only want money money money, CoD series are Death, if you love CoD dont buy this. Expand
  82. Nov 15, 2011
    No matter how much people hate on the series it doesnt deserve such a low score so thus im giving it a ten.sefsfsfesfsefefffefeffsfefeffeefesddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  83. Nov 15, 2011
    que pasa? que los de EA se han gastado la mitad del presupuesto en pagar a la gente para que mienta? el juego es una joya no seáis hipócritas las propias ventas lo dicen todo, ahora resulta que lo que valia el año pasado ahora es una basura? no sabeis ni lo que decis
  84. Sep 12, 2014
    An expensive, perhaps unnecessary map pack of Modern Warfare 2. The solid multiplayer and even sequences of the campaign story are copy/paste from previous entries in the series. The improvements are few and far between, such as the nerfing of explosives (including the infamous n00b tube of Modern Warfare 2). Unfortunately, there is a lack of balance in the Weapons, as the overpowered ACRAn expensive, perhaps unnecessary map pack of Modern Warfare 2. The solid multiplayer and even sequences of the campaign story are copy/paste from previous entries in the series. The improvements are few and far between, such as the nerfing of explosives (including the infamous n00b tube of Modern Warfare 2). Unfortunately, there is a lack of balance in the Weapons, as the overpowered ACR and FMG9 Akimbo. The LMG class is practically useless, a problem passed on from MW2. The new modes, like the fun Chaos Mode, is not enough to warrant a complete new game. It's another cash-out, been-there-done-that entry in the series, and its only saving grace is the outstanding multiplayer game mechanics. Expand
  85. Nov 16, 2011
    What an absolute garbage game this is! An abortion in fact. It makes me sick that I paid £80 for this game with the hardened edition. The Campaign is so linear, as always, that picking up enemy intelligence is no go because your team mates never shut up asking you open a door. As for the multiplayer well I might I might as well be playing soldier of fortune on a PC run by aWhat an absolute garbage game this is! An abortion in fact. It makes me sick that I paid £80 for this game with the hardened edition. The Campaign is so linear, as always, that picking up enemy intelligence is no go because your team mates never shut up asking you open a door. As for the multiplayer well I might I might as well be playing soldier of fortune on a PC run by a Rat on a wheel! There is no skill involved its spray and pray and you better hope to god you prayed hard. Black Ops trumps is being brought back off the bench and MW3 well... If I hadn't of paid £80 I would snap the disc. Expand
  86. Nov 16, 2011
    Before i begin my actual review of MW3, I don't understand why people hate the game simply because it's similar to previous call of duty's, or because it looks the same. MW2 was a great looking game, so why is it a problem if they use the same engine that already looks and feels great to begin with? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That being said, I'm only going to review the multiplayerBefore i begin my actual review of MW3, I don't understand why people hate the game simply because it's similar to previous call of duty's, or because it looks the same. MW2 was a great looking game, so why is it a problem if they use the same engine that already looks and feels great to begin with? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That being said, I'm only going to review the multiplayer version of the game since that's the only reason people buy it... MW3 is by far the worst COD to date, not because of how it looks or how original it may or may not be, but simply because of the core mechanics of the game itself. First off, if a game developer calls a game a First Person Shooter, and you can do well in the game without firing a gun once, as far as I, or any other fan of the FPS genre is concerned, the game is broken. The knife has always plagued the COD series as the most frustrating way to die, and although IW *claimed* to have fixed panic knifing, it still makes no sense to bring a gun to a knife fight. They basically took 5 ft. out of the 10 ft. commando lunge and said knifing was fixed.
    My biggest issue with MW3 by far is the fact that IW insists on rewarding bad gameplay, i.e. rewarding people for being bad at the game. This is shown in many different features in the game, the most obvious being deathstreaks, which succeed only in punishing players who are actually successful in the game, and give bad players no reason to actually become better. The spawn system is another example of this; the spawns in MW3 are not bad, they are non-existent. You will literally spawn in and watch an enemy walk by directly in front of you, or in my case, the other way around. How can IW justify spawns that are beyond broken? This was done on purpose, with the intent of once again rewarding people for dying by giving them free kills, and punishing the players who stay alive with free deaths. Aside from the spawns, there are many ways to die in MW3 which aren't your fault by any means, such as instant death from the omnipresent predator missile/stealth bomber. What can you possibly learn from watching helplessly as a missile is dropped on your head randomly?
    IW definitely decided to take a different angle on the map design in MW3, by not only making the maps significantly smaller, but by adding as many obstacles, exploding vehicles, exploding barrels, trees, crates, etc. as possible without severely impeding movement around the map. Simply put, the maps in MW3 were poorly thought out, many of them being completely unplayable.
    Modern Warfare was always known for having reliable hit detection, but in MW3, hit detection and latency issues are far worse than Black Ops ever was. If you want to play a FPS where when you shoot someone they die shortly after, look elsewhere. Although there are many other flaws with the game I could mention, they aren't worth mentioning compared to the aforementioned issues.
    Although MW3 is fundamentally broken as a multiplayer game, the MP still deserves at least a 2/10. The game looks great, and the controls are smooth, fast, and accurate; which is why COD is as successful as it is. Also, one aspect of the game IW does well in is the weapons; the guns are all very fun to use and have their own unique characteristics to them.
    In conclusion, MW3 is a game that has a lot of potential and at times can be either the funnest game you have ever played, or, more often than not, the most frustrating.
  87. Nov 16, 2011
    I should have known they would just pump out another cheaply made Call of Duty game, too bad I didn't learn my lesson after Black Ops ended up being a disappointment. The campaign is looking good so far (I'm only 4 levels in) but we all know you don't buy a COD game for the campaign. The multiplayer has just gotten worse. The biggest problem is the MAPS. There are 16 maps and NONE of themI should have known they would just pump out another cheaply made Call of Duty game, too bad I didn't learn my lesson after Black Ops ended up being a disappointment. The campaign is looking good so far (I'm only 4 levels in) but we all know you don't buy a COD game for the campaign. The multiplayer has just gotten worse. The biggest problem is the MAPS. There are 16 maps and NONE of them stand out. Every map plays the same; respawn, run around some buildings or alleys, shoot anything that moves and then just get killed from behind. LAME. It seems everything that made MW2 so much fun is gone now. Shotguns cant be equipped as secondary weapons, perks like last stand and stopping power are gone and sniping is not fun anymore cause there are NO OPEN SPACE MAPS!!!!! The only noticeable change is the different "strike packages", but even those are not exciting. Expand
  88. Nov 16, 2011
    Why did I pay 180 euro's for 3 times the same game? It's sad that Infinity Ward treats it's userbase so badly. The singleplayer is the stupidest I ever seen. I was happy when I noticed that it contains only 4 hours of gameplay.

I am even more sad of the gigantic stupid fanbase who plays this game and dares to call themselves gamers.
  89. Nov 17, 2011
    This is my first review at Metacritic. I've never written a review for a game but I just had to spend some of my time writing this because I thought this game is awful and seriously flawed and wanted to warn others not to dish out $60 for this poor game, even if everyone on your friend's list is playing this game. Like many people have said, MW 3 is more like MW 2.5 but people fail toThis is my first review at Metacritic. I've never written a review for a game but I just had to spend some of my time writing this because I thought this game is awful and seriously flawed and wanted to warn others not to dish out $60 for this poor game, even if everyone on your friend's list is playing this game. Like many people have said, MW 3 is more like MW 2.5 but people fail to mention that it's a step backwards from Black Ops which is extremely disappointing. When Black Ops came out, it was successful because it wanted to incorporate social networking elements. For example, you could design your own playercard by making a custom emblem and selecting from a wide array of backgrounds. You could mark your gun with the emblem. MW3 does not have playercards, it's essentially the exact same as MW2. Not only that, theater mode in MW3 is a mess, you can't keep track of what everyone's score is until the very end of the match, and flipping through different players is difficult because each time you switch, you look at a 3rd person view and must look at their gamer tag that way. The Maps are just awful too. They are all crowded with buildings and have many camping spots. When the game was advertised, it seemed like the maps would be cool because it'll be in urban places like New York and London. The problem is, they all look the same so you don't really feel like you're elsewhere. Combat Record is also gone in MW3. Instead, it's replaced by a extremely simplified one page list that cover the basics like K/D ratio and Wins and Losses. It's not like Black Ops where it tells you extremely detailed information about your gameplay. I've heard there's COD Elite, but first of all, I don't feel like installing an App on my PS3 and have to switch to it just to look at my Stats. Not only that, they want you to fork over 50 bucks for COD Elite and I use am not going to do that. Creating classes are also time consuming, as you have to go through a step by step process to add different attachments to guns. The Graphics are also the exactly the same as MW2. I'm extremely disappointed, and I wish I had listened to everyone else's reviews. The only improvement I've noticed is that the load times are a little shorter than Black Ops, but could it be because "MW 3" or I mean "MW 2.5" is a Step Backwards from Black Ops? Expand
  90. Nov 17, 2011
    lol, this game, hahaha, i swear the minute i started multiplayer, i had deja vu. No all you COD fanatics, this does not deserve a 10, or a 9, or a 8, nothing higher than a five, it is just the lazy work of infinity ward. I mean im not a cod fanboy, or a fps fanboy at all, but ive had my fair share of COD games, and this, was the worst attempt ever, i mean they might as well of said it waslol, this game, hahaha, i swear the minute i started multiplayer, i had deja vu. No all you COD fanatics, this does not deserve a 10, or a 9, or a 8, nothing higher than a five, it is just the lazy work of infinity ward. I mean im not a cod fanboy, or a fps fanboy at all, but ive had my fair share of COD games, and this, was the worst attempt ever, i mean they might as well of said it was a DLC for MW2. Or atleast instead of bieng on schedule delayed it so they could add quality over quantity. In all, I loved the story, but it still felt EXACTLY like MW2, the only reason anyone would by this would be because of the storyline, but in the competition of MW3 vs BF3, well i think we have a clear winner. And it's definetly not MW3. Expand
  91. Nov 18, 2011
    Yeahhh. This game really needed to be more advanced. Just the same old dribble another time around.
    It's a shame they don't even try improving it. The multiplayer is as always. The story is ridiculous. The only thing they improved was a way for them to make more money on "elite". I'm almost positive map packs are going to be $20 now. I already feel ripped off for a reskinned MW2. Atleast battlefront bc3 and dice took a risk with more vehicles and a new game engine. These guys did nothing. I am going to trade this in before i get to deep in the money trap which is Activision.
  92. Nov 18, 2011
    Major dissapointment. Agree with everyone else, this game is MW2 with minor additions. Elite is an absolute mess that simply doesn't work, never can login and do anything. I think Infinity ward have lost it, Treyarch are the way forward for Call of Duty now.
  93. Nov 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure all this was a complete misunderstanding. Infinity must have printed the new graphics of the real mw3 on old copies of mw2 they had laying around. Who knows maybe they ask for our addresses and send us the actually mw3 with an IOU 60 bucks
  94. Nov 20, 2011
    Whilst some new modes have brought a bit of a refreshing change, its still too much of the same. Teamwork is still non-existent despite the creators bringing in modes like Kill Confirmed and Team Defender. Every mode still ends up with everyone playing deathmatch. You can even tell the die hards are getting fed up with it as I don't see a lot of people prestiging. They're just ranking upWhilst some new modes have brought a bit of a refreshing change, its still too much of the same. Teamwork is still non-existent despite the creators bringing in modes like Kill Confirmed and Team Defender. Every mode still ends up with everyone playing deathmatch. You can even tell the die hards are getting fed up with it as I don't see a lot of people prestiging. They're just ranking up and staying there.

The menu system has been made more complicated and setting up a new class now takes an age. Some of the things aren't where you would expect them. Want to alter your killstreaks? You have to go into Create a Class then actually go into a class and change it there.

And the bugs. At many points I am getting less than 1 FPS. Yes, you read that right - less than one frame per second. If you are host, its as bad as it was on MW2. Also Ground War just feels laggy and slow to respond - I cannot believe that just adding another 2 players to a game mode brings the system to a crawl but this has been the case since COD4. Its definitely a PS3 memory limitation issue as the 360 doesn't suffer from it. Seriously though, in regards to the framerate issues, this is completely unacceptable with a game engine thats years old now and on a platform where the hardware is fixed. I could understand this happening on a PC where you have infinitesimal hardware combinations but on a console?

Didn't take the cheaters long to figure out glitches and killstreak cheats but these do seem to be addressed quicker and there is now the ability in the pre-game lobby to select a player and report them.

However nothing gets away from the fact that if this was HalfLife 2 it'd be a mod or the fact that it could have just been released as a map pack for MW2. Maybe it should have been, even at the price it is - the same as was done for BF:Bad Company 2 with the Vietnam pack, talking of which I finally got into the Battelfield series last week with BF3 and I have to say that it just shows the shortfalls of MW3 in spectacular style.
  95. Nov 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of duty 4 was my favorite game of all time but you cant make the same game over 3 more times sorry mw3 you're horrible. The graphics are the same and most of the core game play elements are the same, and the AI is terribly.SOAP DIES Expand
  96. Nov 20, 2011
    Call of Duty MW3 is one of the most over-hyped and overrated games of this gen alongside Battlefield 3. Cod MW3 is supposed to be a sequel to MW2, but it offers nothing new to the table. People are suckered into buying the same game ever year or two years, not knowing the fact that nothing has changed. It's still the same old shoot and kill game we've seen a thousand times. The creators ofCall of Duty MW3 is one of the most over-hyped and overrated games of this gen alongside Battlefield 3. Cod MW3 is supposed to be a sequel to MW2, but it offers nothing new to the table. People are suckered into buying the same game ever year or two years, not knowing the fact that nothing has changed. It's still the same old shoot and kill game we've seen a thousand times. The creators of the game need to learn the definition of the word "innovation" before they can make another Cod game. I cannot give this game higher than a 3/10 since it's just MW2 with a few more maps Expand
  97. Nov 20, 2011
    It's the same game as MW2 but still fun. Same looking graphics and guns. There is a lot of people playing so that's a good but not worth the $60 I paid for.
  98. Nov 20, 2011
    This is a fair review in my opinion, i'm not slating it, i'm not rimming it. It's my own thoughts.

I loved CoD4: Modern Warfare; it was a real breath of fresh air. Modern Warfare 2 built on CoD4 and brought a much more in-depth feel to the game, making it very immersive. Modern Warfare 3 was hyped up to be amazing. It was, but no more amazing than MW2 was. The small things that really irritated me, was the laziness of developers. Titles and emblems are exactly the same. The multiplayer challenges have been named the same, (absentee killer, or something like that) it's very embarrassing. I actually cringed while perusing these lists, it's really bad that they didn't come up with new names. I still enjoy playing it, but I really don't think they should be allowed to charge another $50 for this. I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard people even found the code for MW2 maps in the PC install of MW3? How is that acceptable. It hints to a true "copy and paste" job. Spec Ops, oh my god. One of the missions is the same setting, objective, and feel to a campaign missions. I am not surprised people have all jumped on to rate this game badly. It's not that loads of people hate it, it's just a lot of people feel strongly that it was a disappointment. And not enough people are defending it by coming on and putting a 10/10 on. I honestly feel my score has been justified. I have enjoyed the game, but it really is not much different. They brought us new guns, new maps, and two new game modes. I know they won't change the format, I don't want them to. I want them to not charge us as much because it really isn't a brand new game. IGN themselves said the Campaign lacked any immersion of the player.

I hope you enjoyed reading.
  99. o-k
    Nov 20, 2011
    i'm not a biased, i'm not sponsored by any company and i'm not suggestive. my score is based on the fact that MW3 is DLC for MW. this isn't a game, this is an add-on. its sad to see companies such as Activision and even EA sell out. these corporations destroyed gaming, at the core. now it's just rotting away. money can't buy you talent or creativity. future games will just be recycledi'm not a biased, i'm not sponsored by any company and i'm not suggestive. my score is based on the fact that MW3 is DLC for MW. this isn't a game, this is an add-on. its sad to see companies such as Activision and even EA sell out. these corporations destroyed gaming, at the core. now it's just rotting away. money can't buy you talent or creativity. future games will just be recycled crap. and yes i played mw. my FIRST game and it was laggy. FIRST. **** sad. Expand
  100. Nov 21, 2011
    Im sorry I already bought COD:4, MW2, WAW and Black-Ops...... Seems I draw the line at buying the same game at 4. MW3 is a truly undeserving lack of innovation by infinity ward and sledgehammer games. Reviews like destructoid(worst game review site ever) that bash BF3 and love MW3 and make stupid points are whats wrong with the review system these days. They've all been paid off, as anyoneIm sorry I already bought COD:4, MW2, WAW and Black-Ops...... Seems I draw the line at buying the same game at 4. MW3 is a truly undeserving lack of innovation by infinity ward and sledgehammer games. Reviews like destructoid(worst game review site ever) that bash BF3 and love MW3 and make stupid points are whats wrong with the review system these days. They've all been paid off, as anyone who is a REAL gamer(i.e. doesn't play cod) can blatantly see. The user score here reflects how PEOPLE are feeling and not the "critics". Hell what makes their opinion greater than ours, cause they've a website??!? Thats why I look at websites like imdb to get a proper meta review of the general publics reaction to a movie. I tell you now, I was a cod fanboy in cod4..... but I've now had enough of this. you cant release a yearly game like this, it just doesn't work. Its also the reason why I'm not buying assassins creed this year. Its unacceptable and an undeserving distraction from truly amazing games like uncharted 3, batman arkham city, BF3, Skyrim and dark souls(bought them all). this game deserves a minus score, 0 is too good for the insult to gamers everywhere this game brings. Oh and infinity ward, dont **** about users boycotting your game on metacritic, maybe this time you'll listen. You actually begged for users to vote the score up. CHANGE YOUR GAME AND WATCH THE SCORES CHANGE YOU JOKE OF A COMPANY!!! Cant pay off everyone, although how about this, pay me off and i'll take this review down :P Expand

1. Feb 10, 2012
    There's a tangible insistence from gamers that this series needs to evolve, but it seems unwarranted when it still leads the FPS class. The engine's definitely in need of an overhaul, but when it comes to thumping set-pieces and addictive multiplayer design, Modern Warfare 3 is still in a league of its own.
  2. Feb 1, 2012
    By sticking to the series' strengths, Modern Warfare 3 delivers some of the best competitive, cooperate, and single-player shooting in the business.
  3. As a complete package, Modern Warfare 3 takes the cake. [Jan 2012, p.67]