7.1

1. Nov 1, 2013
    A nice update to an already great entry on the Castlevania series. Upgraded visuals, controls, and cutscenes really match the grandeur of the Mirror of Fate's scale, score, and story. It harkens back to the glory days of classic NES games in the series, while implementing the exploration of the Metroidvania games and Lords of Shadow's combat engine very nicely. The new Boss Rush mode and Trophies add a much needed amount of replay value. If you can get over the fact that this isn't the Symphony of the Night 9.0, you're in for a great time. Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Xcelent game and a great add on in the lords of shadow franchise, great history explain8ng everything about the belmont family and relationship against evil dracula, ideal for waiting until los 2 comes away, the only fails i see were the lazy controls and i think it would be a more deep port, with improved textures and light effects, not just an hd minimun upgrade
  3. Nov 23, 2013
    No, it's not "Symphony of the Night", but it might be the most fun you can have for $15.00. I found
    the boss fights surprisingly varied, strategic, and CHALLENGING. Platforming is a joy: precise and
    demanding yet never unfair. You'll enjoy exploring well-designed levels suffused with an eerie,
    suspenseful atmosphere. With the nav. guide off, there's a greater sense of discovery.
  4. Jun 5, 2014
    Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Almost the more poor castlevania. Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    about 5 hours in
    +fun and challenging boss fights, sadly that's only a plus

-terrible story / dialogue
    -bland graphics and FPS
    -poor map design
    -platforming feel clunky
    -lack of Metroidvania actual exploration
  6. Dec 9, 2013
    After completing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and the expansion packs (albeit a couple of years after their release), I immediately wanted more. The original effort from Mercury Steam Konami was a triumph in gaming. It was incredibly engrossing gameplay beset with incredible scenery and good, if not always great, storytelling. Do these qualities carry over to the scaled down Mirror of Fate, the 3ds game making its HD appearance on consoles? In large part, yes it does.

In Mirror of Fate you play as three characters with interconnecting stories: Simon, Alucard, and Trevor. Each character has its own segment and as their stories and locations overlap, the feels like a solidified production and not simply three disjointed stories plastered together hastily. While, I won’t divulge any of the story, I will say that it is well done and was told in such a way that held my interest even when it was a bit obvious what was going on. Additionally, in line with the efforts of the Lords of Shadow, the voice acting is excellent and the characters are believable and consistent in their progression.

The gameplay is not the full 3D experience of the parent title for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but rather a side-scrolling effort. As such the direct attacks are strong horizontal efforts and the area attacks come in a rainbow-like arcing. This does make the combat less engaging than Lords of Shadow and most of the strategy will come through choosing which magic perks (e.g. light/ dark magic, mist form, spiritual shield, etc.) and secondary attacks (e.g. axes, boomerangs, holy water, etc.) to use. Each character has a completely different set of both and this does wonders in making each segment fresh.

The levels are full of secrets (in the form of backstory, tips, bestiary entries or power-ups) and the player is rewarded with a special cut scene if all are found at completion. It may be a small thing, but I really enjoyed the secrets. They were challenging, but not ridiculously concealed or unattainable after racking one’s noggin for a bit. I am very adverse to receiving any help or going online to look up secrets for games I’d rather be incomplete that use a walkthrough so I found the level of challenge perfect. I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting sections of the castle with my new power-ups to find the secrets and increase my abilities.

If you decide to secret hunt, there is enough meat in this story alone to sink a good 10 hours into. Replay value could be extended by increasing the difficulty level (I went through on Normal difficulty) or participating in the Boss Rush mode that is unlocked upon completion of the story. I came for the same story-driven action that Lords of Shadow provided, and I found most of it here doing quite well in a 2D environment. This is a worthy addition to the Lords of Shadow rebranding of Castlevania and further heightens interest in the soon-to-be released Lords of Shadow 2.

1. Although the game can look a little rough around the edges, it's still a thoroughly worthy addition to the blood-soaked legacy of Castlevania. [Jan 2014, p.94]
  2. It’s not Symphony of the Night, but if you’re a long-time fan, you must whip it. [Christmas 2013, p82]
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    It fills up the gap between both Lords of Shadow games quite nicely and the HD-transition is well-done. Nevertheless, the game's a bit easy, the gameplay lacks depth and the story could have been a lot more engaging. It will keep Castlevania fans busy until Lords of Shadow 2 is released, which is the only reason we could come up with to recommend this.