Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 PlayStation 3

7.7

1. Jan 3, 2017
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is a let down after the amazing original i was expecting a more action packed game but what we got was a beutiful looking game with good boss fights but really annoying stealth sections that make no sense and a very boring story the only reason why i didint score it lower was because the combat is still great i also didint even finish the game it was that boring
  2. Jul 16, 2016
    I want to love this game more than I did, and for the most part I do. This is a 4 or 5 star game marred by stealth missions that make zero sense being in a Castlevania game. I'll be playing this game and having a blast, then it's " oh $#!+, another stealth mission." It almost feels like 2 different games: The part that is Castlevania is fun and enjoyable, the part that is Metal Gear Solid isn't.
  3. Feb 18, 2016
    Average game. City levels are bland. Story is okay but lets be real. Konami needs to bring the series back to 2D or 2D/3D like the new Strider game. Hopefully they reboot the series in a positive way for Xbox ONE/PS4, or just let the series die like Capcom does with their franchises. Did I just say that? Yes, yes I did.
  4. Feb 13, 2016
    I am deeply disappointed with Konami at the moment, They sell off Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes as a complete package, but it turns out to be an overpriced demo. Then they cancelled Silent Hills, which could have been one of the greatest horror games of all time. Now they're firing Kojima, but forcing him to finish Phantom Pain first. Anyway, back to this review, Castlevania, LOS2 is aI am deeply disappointed with Konami at the moment, They sell off Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes as a complete package, but it turns out to be an overpriced demo. Then they cancelled Silent Hills, which could have been one of the greatest horror games of all time. Now they're firing Kojima, but forcing him to finish Phantom Pain first. Anyway, back to this review, Castlevania, LOS2 is a very big disappointment compared to LoS 1. The combat is excellent, and the graphics are pretty too, but that doesn't make up for this game's many flaws. There is lots of completely unnecessary stealth sections where Dracula turns into a rat, hiding from enemies, trying to be some sort of Solid Rat. There is also a frustrating and unnecessary open world setup, which is very hard to traverse. The story is boring and uninteresting too. Konami has f@#ked up, as per usual. Don't buy this unfinished mess, wait for Phantom Pain to come out and buy that. Expand
  5. Nov 7, 2015
    Quando esse jogo saiu tive um alto preconceito contra ele, e para onde a historia tomou rumo, e por se passar nos dias atuais. Com a promoção resolvi comprar e ver, e, realmente mudou a forma como eu o via. É simplesmente fantastico a trilha sonora, a dublagem, os gráficos mesmo não tendo paisagens de natureza, somente castelos e fábricas é fantastico, tudo muito bonito. A trilha sonoraQuando esse jogo saiu tive um alto preconceito contra ele, e para onde a historia tomou rumo, e por se passar nos dias atuais. Com a promoção resolvi comprar e ver, e, realmente mudou a forma como eu o via. É simplesmente fantastico a trilha sonora, a dublagem, os gráficos mesmo não tendo paisagens de natureza, somente castelos e fábricas é fantastico, tudo muito bonito. A trilha sonora não é tão variavel mas é muito marcante e bem feita. A historia consegue te prender o que o faz jogar mais e mais. Não é um jogo tão facil mesmo colocando no médio mas isso pode ser porque eu sou ruim, teve alguns momentos frustrantes mas isso que se faz um bom jogo nada de moleza. Eu recomendo sim esse jogo inclusive com a dlc que tem para entender melhor a historia. Pode pegar sem medo. Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2015
    I love Castlevania and i heard that this one is pretty in the middle of the road so i tried it myself and o loved every second of it! Maybe its just me because im just 12 but i had a fun time with this title like with Sonic the Hedgehog 3! My score is 8!
  7. Jul 16, 2015
    No aporta mucho con respecto al anterior. La historia no termina de cerrar y la ambientación no es tan buena como el 1. Así y todo para pasar el rato sirve.
  8. May 25, 2015
    If you played the first game, then you must play this one, great story, great characters, great boss battles, The return of memorable characters worshipped by many, and Gabriel's struggle with his human side it's amazing, this is one of my favorite games on ps3.
  9. May 8, 2015
    This is classic Castlevania action. Exploration, secrets, boss battles, character progress and specifically for this game, exceptional graphics surrounding an exciting story.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is an open world hack'n slash game where you play the role of Count Dracula. After a long sleep, you are trying to regain your former strength and defeat Satan and his minions. The

The things I like about this game are:
    - Graphics: Absolutely breathtaking
    - Setting: The castle is enormous and the word gothic fits it well.
    - Combat: Delve into a battle aggressively and it will probably be a quick death for you (talking about the hardest difficulty). The game makes you force yourself not to hit all the buttons like a maniac but fight smarter instead.

The things I don't like are:
    - Dracula wandering in a basement car park? No I don't think it is a good idea.
    - Dracula can transform into a rat pack but not into a bat? Come on!
    - Sometimes checkpoints are too far apart and everything you did, you have to do again.
    - Boss battles are great, but continuing from the midst of a battle really takes the fun away. Just should have restarted the battle.

The nice-to-have's are:
    - I wish there was more depth to the Castlevania games, just like the From Software series like Bloodborne or Dark Souls.

All in all, this is a wonderful next-gen Castlevania game and a time-devourer. Experience it, if not for you are a Castlevania fan, but for you enjoy cinematic story-telling.
  10. Apr 23, 2015
    Great Game , nice story, nice presentation and fighting system, love the graphics, please Ignore negative reviews fro hard heads, I recommend the game, good job to mercury and konami
  11. Mar 11, 2015
    this game improves the gameplay significantly. the magic is now more volatile, you gain mp frequently and there's now more active uses for it both in combat and in parkour-plataforming. the story is now more focused on gabriel's personal quest, rather than saving the world gabriel is more interested in saving himself and his son. the designs at the beggining are lacking but later on itthis game improves the gameplay significantly. the magic is now more volatile, you gain mp frequently and there's now more active uses for it both in combat and in parkour-plataforming. the story is now more focused on gabriel's personal quest, rather than saving the world gabriel is more interested in saving himself and his son. the designs at the beggining are lacking but later on it proves to have great enemy and level design, both the city and the castle are amazing places to walk around. great sequel to a great game Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2014
    Besides the stealth part, everything in this game is really good!
    It has everything that I would like in a game.
    -Amazing story
    -Amazing soundtrack
    -Really good combat
    -Very well designed main character
    -The graphics are outstanding!
    You also get to see thing as Dracula in one aspect!
  13. Dec 13, 2014
    Except for the stealth parts - which are garbage - this is a fun and well made game. Art is quite beautiful and you feel like playing it until the end if you have the willpower to handle the 4 boring initial hours, where most of the stealth boring stuff is introduced. And what I like most is how they have connected the areas in the game: It quite clear for you after a while how you willExcept for the stealth parts - which are garbage - this is a fun and well made game. Art is quite beautiful and you feel like playing it until the end if you have the willpower to handle the 4 boring initial hours, where most of the stealth boring stuff is introduced. And what I like most is how they have connected the areas in the game: It quite clear for you after a while how you will trigger the load of a new area but when you see things moving on screen (like gears close to a door) you have a feeling that a mechanism is really working and everything is connected. And you see these connections everywhere. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2014
    Epic story, epic music, epic art, epic bosses and **** reviews. :)
    My favorite Castlevania is lament of innocence but this one of my favorite game series too, much better like lord of rings sorry i say lord of shadows lol. Is a diferent story nothing to compare with the others castlevania clasic games.
  15. Oct 31, 2014
    For starters the complaints about stealth should be mostly ignored. They make up about 60 minutes of the entire game (although they are horribly implemented and should have been pulled from the game as a whole). Instead lets talk about some bigger issues.

If you've played Lords of Shadow 1 and Mirror of Fate, the story is lackluster in comparison. Incredibly predictable plot turns, only 1 new important character, almost no character progression, and extremely underutilized voice talent (particularly Patrick Stewart). The world is incredibly un-interesting too. I remember the other LoS games having this magical awe that was lost along the plot's progression. Although the castle in the story has that magic to it, but its mostly ignored by the game's central plot. Really wish they had focused on the castle more.

Incredibly broken boss battles and puzzles make this game miserable constantly. You'll be watching game over screens anywhere from 15 - 60 minutes at several points with no clue what to do next. These sections should probably have been pulled from the final game (as they mostly unplayable).

Quick time events are completely broken and heavily abused. Disable them in the options or you'll probably rage quit before finishing the game.

Music and graphics literally save LoS 2. They're great and every level is a hand crafted masterpiece (although they are difficult to navigate at times). Very rewarding looting and enemy fights. Although I really didn't care for the combat skill tree system. Would have liked perks or something else for my character. Also great cinematics and voice delivery.

I hope Konami learns a lot from this game and doesn't make the same mistakes from LoS 1 and 2. Here's to looking forward to the next Castlevania game.
  16. Oct 13, 2014
    Absolutely loved this game! After finishing the first one and having mixed feelings about the gameplay but loving the world and story I decided to did deeper into the world. After, doing so I cannot begin to tell you how in love I fell with not only Lords of Shadow 2, and the first one having played it again, I fell in love with this universe as a whole! Everything from the characters toAbsolutely loved this game! After finishing the first one and having mixed feelings about the gameplay but loving the world and story I decided to did deeper into the world. After, doing so I cannot begin to tell you how in love I fell with not only Lords of Shadow 2, and the first one having played it again, I fell in love with this universe as a whole! Everything from the characters to the atmosphere and the lore is breathtaking to me! Its amazing that it took me this long to realize how special this series is and I hope they continue to make games in this series because it is truly something that has a special place in my heart! Expand
  17. Aug 23, 2014
    + good story with a nice twist in the end
    + combat is interesting though it's not much different from a Devil May Cry
    + gothic dark scenery and environment with good graphics. - lots of gaps and unexplained random events in the story - less than desired combat opportunities. - many potential game mechanics that are never given the opportunity to be explored freely and creatively. -
    + good story with a nice twist in the end
    + combat is interesting though it's not much different from a Devil May Cry
    + gothic dark scenery and environment with good graphics.

- lots of gaps and unexplained random events in the story
    - less than desired combat opportunities.
    - too linear in progression.
  18. Aug 16, 2014
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a great game and is often considered the first 3D Castlevania game to get it right, and it's not surprising to see why. With absolutely amazing combat, a fantastic story, a lengthy campaign, great graphics and a fantastic twist ending, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, LOS2 doesn't live up to the expectations, and is anCastlevania: Lords of Shadow was a great game and is often considered the first 3D Castlevania game to get it right, and it's not surprising to see why. With absolutely amazing combat, a fantastic story, a lengthy campaign, great graphics and a fantastic twist ending, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, LOS2 doesn't live up to the expectations, and is an overall disappointing experience.

Combat was the first thing I had high expectations for, and the game actually does well. Instead of the combat cross, Dracula now uses his own blood as a hardened whip to fight enemies, so combat essentially works the same. One improvement LOS2 added was the ability to block and dodge in the air, which I'm thankful for because there are enemies which require you to jump to reach them. Along with that, all unblockable enemy attacks have clear visual and sound cues, making these attacks very obvious, and way easier to dodge than in the the previous game. Then there's the light and dark magic meters. Unlike LOS, where both magics were tied to your main weapon, they instead have their own weapon. Light magic is tied to a sword and heals you, while dark magic is tied to gauntlets that doubles damage and break shields. Unlike in LOS though, where the meters would deplete over time, the meters in LOS2 only deplete when attacking an enemy. This way you can actually approach combat calmly, instead of frantically attacking enemies knowing that your time with the magic was limited. This is a fantastic improvement, and the limited range of the sword and gauntlets help to balance this mehanic. Better yet, the combos for the blood whip, gauntlets and sword are all the same, allowing you to seamlessly switch between your magics and blood whip without disrupting the flow of combat, making switching just as smooth as the previous game.

However, not everything about combat is an improvement. For example, the unblockable attacks are easy to detect, but they're not always easy to avoid, often having a range of attack that's too large. So, even if you manage to dodge when prompted, you'll still end up getting hit. These attacks should've been blockable instead. Also, throughout the game, most of these attacks happen two seconds after the cue, so it becomes instinct to dodge immediately. However, some attacks have a delay on them, meaning that you'll instinctively dodge too soon and get hit. This is unfair because the game teaches you to dodge immediately, only to fall victim due to inconsistency. Lastly, because this game takes place in the current time, guns have been added, and end up becoming ridiculously overpowered. Unblockable, long range, and often waves of bullets being fired at the same time, enemies with guns are not fun to fight. It's bad enough when demons start to use them, but the human controlled mechs are just as bad. These mechs often hide behind their shields, and your gauntlets don't actually break through fast enough before they back up and launch an unblockable attack, requiring you to attack right before they do. This would've been alright if you had to fight one at a time, but every time you're going to be swarmed with them. Luckily, the quick time events in the game heal you, which helps balance out the unfair advantages enemies have. It's still annoying though.

Combat may have had improvements and flaws, but pretty much everything else is worse.

The story isn't all that interesting. It's all about how you, as Dracula, are weakened and have to regain your power to ultimately defeat Satan upon his return. However, moving this game to a modern setting feels very unusual for a Castlevania title. The plot is interesting enough, but it's so boring and broken up that it makes the story hard to follow. Plus, the ending is very abrupt and cheap, making the ending feel rushed. The story's only saving grace is the sub plot in which Dracula is either hallucinating or traveling back in time (it's never made clear), and Dracula sees his family. These are the moments where Dracula seems more like Gabriel, and makes you realize that he's not entirely evil, but angry. These are the moments where the story shines. Unfortunately, the sub plot has no wrap up whatsoever. It just ends.

As for the campaign, instead of being a linear chapter to chapter campaign, LOS2 goes more open world, but with Dracula constantly traveling between the past and present, the environments change drastically, and there is no sense of direction at all, making collecting items a grind. Finally, stealth segments feel out of place, and seem more like a replacement for the puzzle segments of LOS, which are missing from this game, but they're not fun. In one case, the stealth was brutally difficult because the level was so poorly designed.

Ultimately, LOS 2 disappoints, but that doesn't mean it's terrible. If you liked the last game, you should at least try out this game. Who knows. You may end up liking it.
  19. Jul 24, 2014
    A great conclusion to the series. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 continues the storyline that began in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and picks up where Gabriel Belmont left off at the end of the first game.

The soundtrack is amazing and the graphics are a step up from the already good graphics in Lords of Shadow. The framerate has also been improved so the game feels smoother during gameplay which helps and makes it feel more responsive.

The combat system is one of LOS2's strong points. It works well and the many kinds of enemies and hostile creatures you encounter encourage the player to vary their attacks and strategy or face being tossed all over the place as button mashing won't get you all the way through here.

I'm not sure what game Edge was playing in their review but it certainly wasn't the same one I was.
  20. Jul 17, 2014
    I think this game delivers much better experience in every way possible when you compare it to its prequel. It's a shame that it didn't sale very well because of some simple-minded game reviewers that can't enjoy games that requires any effort or thinking.
  21. Jul 10, 2014
    Just finished my 30 hour playthrough on ps3. Really enjoyed this game. Not as much as los1 but still a fantastic but slightly broken experience. My biggest complaint would be the combo/block break. After performing a synchronised block you begin your combo string of counter attacks and there is nothing to stop your combo being interrupted by another attacking monster. This greatly reducesJust finished my 30 hour playthrough on ps3. Really enjoyed this game. Not as much as los1 but still a fantastic but slightly broken experience. My biggest complaint would be the combo/block break. After performing a synchronised block you begin your combo string of counter attacks and there is nothing to stop your combo being interrupted by another attacking monster. This greatly reduces the enjoyment of the fantastic synchronised block experience that this game offers. You can see that a lot of love and care has gone into this game. Beautiful designs. I found the open world to be rather uninspiring. I much preferred the linearity of los1 with its beautiful and lush environs. anyway highly recommended and i am confused as to why this got 4 of 10 from edge mag. Expand
  22. May 2, 2014
    This game is truly a game with insane levels of quality
    and a narrow audience in mind.
    This game is truly a game with insane levels of quality
    and a narrow audience in mind.
    Lords of shadow is a reboot series that pays homage to classicvania while styling itself as an action game first and a brutal platformer almost never, that's not to say that the platforming is bad, it's not, in fact it's a lot better than it was in los1 where the platforming was mostly to get you from area to area, here in this game it's a threat.
    Lords of shadow 2 features dracula as the antagonist, or as I like to call it, the game with so much win i can't even contain myself.
    sadly, the city levels and stealth puzzles (those are puzzles by the by,) bog it down considerably from what it could be. the city environments, while certainly well done, suffer from a bizarre color wheel problem in which the colors all blend together in a nondescript manner, leaving you to only notice the detail upon closer inspection.
    the enemies within the city have strange design choices, from nigh stagger proof waves of nuisance enemies that can attack through your sync blocks, demons with nasty cheap moves that require you to play as dracula from rondo of blood and be equally cheap, to monks that summon all of these and can fuse into a fire demon of rape, the city is certainly a difficult place, but the combat isn't bad here, merely....difficult.
    conversely, the castle is an amazing, vibrant, chilling and compelling place that i wish there were more of, the enemies are all fun to fight, the platforming is riskier and all around I find myself wishing for more of that.
    the story in this game likes to pretend that it's dark souls in terms of the telling, it's more "look and infer for yourself" albeit, with less subtlety.
    the plot revolves around dracula seeking his death
    or does it?
    no wait, it now revolves around dracula wanting to join his reborn family in the castle!
    or does it?
    no wait, it now revolves around him fighting the blood of his castle and quelling the rebellion it started!
    NO!! it's actually about defeating the three acolytes of satan and preventing satan's return
    NO! it's actually about satan being baited into returning so you can kill him I'M SO CONFUSED!!!
    If you haven't noticed already, the plot is comprised of multiple interweaving subplots, where dracula's immediate objective changes with the wind, as does his immediate intent along with it.
    whenever he enters the castle, it's like he's in a dream where he instantly forgets the important "stop satan so zobek can stab you through the chest with laughter" and turns to the "am I really a belmont? can i even go back to that?" to **** i am DRACULA!! GET THE HELL OUT MY WAY OR IMMA RAM THIS STEEL ROD RIGHT UP YOUR MOUTH!!" *belmont pimp hand*
    the confusing plot is compelling and enjoyale, but by the end of the game you get the distinct feeling that you went absolutely nowhere, it doesn't help that dracula ends up literally standing in the same place he started the journey, albeit with better looks.
    the combat in this game is it's shining gem, it's the best, the most fun i've ever had with a thinking man's hack n slash.
    it requires you to plan out "traps" with your combos and setups that kill many enemies or a few, the strategic aspect comes from the magic system, which is entirely required if you want to survive this game.
    no really, I dare you to go without magic in either lords of shadow title and see if you can make it without dying once. it's a **** let me assure you.
    all in all, the game's failings are basically the ones you've already heard about, the city was a hit and miss, the stealth puzzles are sorely misrepresented and don't do very much, if anything for you besides break up the pace of a game that's strongest when you're fighting train demons and riding rockets through buildings.
    but it's a solid game.
  23. Apr 18, 2014
    I'll be very honest and say that this game is trash. Sorry, it is. I am a HUGE (HUGE!) fan of the original Castlevania LoS (beat it 3 times and played all DLC), so I know what I am talking about. I had high hopes for this, as I had loved the 1st one so much and what a disappointment. Castlevania LoS 2 is a collection of many mistakes and the first one is this: forget about everything thatI'll be very honest and say that this game is trash. Sorry, it is. I am a HUGE (HUGE!) fan of the original Castlevania LoS (beat it 3 times and played all DLC), so I know what I am talking about. I had high hopes for this, as I had loved the 1st one so much and what a disappointment. Castlevania LoS 2 is a collection of many mistakes and the first one is this: forget about everything that made the last one great. The only thing that got me slightly interested was the gameplay, which is still solid. The rest is complete garbage. The story makes no sense (is Capcom behind this?), the graphics are an atrocity - I am not kidding, this looks like a late PS2 game, the colors look washed, in other words, this game is ugly, boring, confusing and uninspired. And to top it all, they've thrown an "open world" feel to it. And by "open world" I mean BACKTRACKING to a point that most of the time you have no idea what you are doing. I am sad to write such a bitter review, and I really (really!) wanted to love this game. But I just can't. This is a slap in the face and Mercurysteam threw what could've been a great sequel in the trash. I regret that I bought this. If you are a newcomer, who knows, you might enjoy it I guess. If you are - like me - a fan, steer clear from this mess. Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2014
    first and fore most I am a gamer not a critic, I have always enjoyed most of the Castlevania titles, while this game is not perfect it definitely is not sub par, I haven't finished it yet, but I have played through enough to know that this is a title worth playing, the voice acting is superb, the mechanics are tight, the story is more than fair (as some critics would suggest otherwise)first and fore most I am a gamer not a critic, I have always enjoyed most of the Castlevania titles, while this game is not perfect it definitely is not sub par, I haven't finished it yet, but I have played through enough to know that this is a title worth playing, the voice acting is superb, the mechanics are tight, the story is more than fair (as some critics would suggest otherwise) with SOTN throw backs, the stealth portions could be cut & would make for a better game, other than that I recommend this newest installment of Castlevania to any fan of the series, it is definitely a solid 8.5, I would have rated as such if I had the option, hope this helps & as always enjoy yourself Expand
  25. Mar 31, 2014
    RANKING: 7 – 10 (Its Awesome but nowhere near perfect.)

If you love the Lords of Shadow series and you want to continue on with the story, pick it up otherwise, wait for a price drop. As a major fan of the Lords of Shadow series, to finally see the arrival of Lords of Shadow 2 is a sight to behold, being introduced first to the game’s combat system, visuals and soundtrack, it’s hard
    RANKING: 7 – 10 (Its Awesome but nowhere near perfect.)

As a major fan of the Lords of Shadow series, to finally see the arrival of Lords of Shadow 2 is a sight to behold, being introduced first to the game’s combat system, visuals and soundtrack, it’s hard NOT to get hyped about this game! THEN the first level happens, introducing a broken and shallow stealth mechanic that is cringe worthy and THEN we are introduced to the open world exploration with in Dracula’s castle. Though the stealth mechanic exists and we have several parts of it, some of the voice acting and story (IM LOOKING AT YOU ENDING CUTSCENE) is really off part compared to Lords of Shadow 1. What this game does get however is the fantastic score, improved combat system, and the multiple and AMAZING boss fights! I’m Silly Nero, and this is the **** Review, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Gameplay: Remember how Lords of Shadow 1 was bashed for how it’s game play was bashed for being a God of War clone? This doesn’t help it at all, but improved what Lords of Shadow 1 lacked. Now replaced with the Light and Dark Magic, we have the Void Sword and Chaos claws, introducing two different weapons with their perks and faults. The focus Meter is still in play with the game, now being hit while dishing out damage to fill the meter. the upgrade system is as it was for LoS1, get enough XP from killing enemies and you can get new moves, but heres a nifty little additions. WEAPON MASTREY. It is a new feature that you can use different moves and it will improve your weapons power over all. Though it can be easily exploited, since you can spam the move to easily get 100% on the attack. Once you get 100% of said move, you can use it to improve the weapon mastery. The exploration for the game has become now an open world game where you can explore segments of the city and castle, to find items, upgrades, and even extras, though most of them you can’t get until near the end of the game. Enemies vary from Corrupted Vampire soldiers to Massive Mechs and even massive Demons. Some are easy enough and some will spam you with Unblockable attack that will send you airborne then become wombo comboed.

Stealth Sections. . . .stealth sections are a mess. All you really do is either distract a guard with the swarm of bats, use the mist ability to slide through walls, or turn into rats to slide though vents. It’s uninspired, sometimes clunky, and I swear the guards are either blind or have a malfunction to say, “OH LOOK! A CLOUD OF RED AND BATS. NOTHING IS WRONG HERE!”

The best part about this game is the AMAZING BOSS FIGHTS! The cut scenes have enough leading up the fight where you prepare yourself mentally and physically, hanging onto your controller, ready for the fight ahead of you, coupled by the amazing art direction and score.

Story: The Story continues off from where LoS1 ended, with Dracula being offered the chance of a real death if he helps his old enemy/ comrade, Zobek. Though out the game, he is sent back to his castle in his mind to recover his memories prior to the beginning of the game when Drac wakes up. What really falls for the game is how weak the ending is, ESPECIALLY the amazing lead up it had. Even though the game said it was the “Epic” conclusion to the Lords of Shadow series, it may just lead up to another series. Or DLC endings. Which is ****

Visuals: On a good note, the visuals for this game are FANTASTIC, ESPECIALLY for the castle levels, with beautiful colors, amazing textures, and lighting effects. The character models are fantastic as well, mainly for the main cast and bosses. The city levels however are really dull, almost making the player beg to be back in the castle. The art direction is gorgeous, especially looking at some of the character logs in the journal and the item pictures.

Soundtrack: The game’s score is one of the BEST I have heard in a long time! Though the voice acting with certain characters feel lazy and uninspired, mainly with some of the enemies and non- main characters.

Verdict: An unsatisfying ending story wise, but the visuals, soundtrack, and boss fights make up for it to be a decent game. If you can, just buy it when It is at a lower price and you wont feel as burned. Though for me, it’s a bit disappointing compared to the first Lords of Shadow.
  26. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible game even the first one sucked along with Mirror of Fate which is even sadder that those two titles got a chronicle pack and the 3ds one Mirror of Fate got an HD release. I don't know what they where smoking to come up with this it I mean I do like new gamplay, but not like this. I may only have played the first one yet this one gets boring as fast as the other one in combat. So here is how it goes the main story has a Belmont named Gabriel who becomes Dracula and is the new lord of darkness who is the hero of the game. Apparently it starts off with the brotherhood breaking down his door at the start and he ends up having to fight them off with his vampire like powers which he uses a blood like whip lash, chaotic powers, and a void sword. So after that he fights a giant titan after figthing a gold like angel knight or something and destroys the titan by puking up blood on the crystal. So after he takes down the titan the golden knight angel guy tries to make a prayer after fighting Dracula (aka Gabriel if you forgotten) on a cross as he does Dracula grabs it and makes the same prayer. When Dracula does a huge explosion happens and all the brotherhood knights nearby are killed. Then out of nowhere Alucard shows up (aka Trevor Belmont who was killed by his father and then resurrected in Mirror of Fate) he apparently ties with the story ending there without what happens making oh a plot. So you wake up in an abandoned church in what I am assuming is Europe I don't know its hard to tell. So you do a boring short walk out of the church after a flash back from the first game which doesn't tie in with the story and is completely pointless. It also is never mentioned again in the game and serves no purpose. So after he leaves the church weak as crap apparently he sees an image of his son and follows him down an alley way. This would have been great if he got in a fight with thugs and used them to heal up his strength, but no he gets the **** beat out of him by a monster that appears and nearly kills him. When about to die he gets saved by some guy in armor with a familiar sword which gives an obvious hint to who the guy in the armor is. So he wakes up somewhere murders and drains the blood of three humans a father, mother, and a son. Then he meets Zobek who says he needs his help (You know the guy who was the third Lord of Shadows and betrayed Gabriel before in the first game now they are working together) to stop these guys called the acolytes which are planning to take over the world and Satan would make Dracula and Zobek his personal pets as he says. So Zobek claims to have found the Vampire Killer which said to end his life permanently (Which is not explained too well and also FYI Dracula usually comes back after 100 years, but in this game he came back in a century proving these idiots didn't research too well when developing the game). You know what I will make it short and simple to skip the boring details or somewhat like that quick and simple.

1. Dracula goes and is followed by trails of blood which is his darker side of him who fights later, and he has to gather items and weapons to gain his powers back.

2. Meets his servants who are possessed by the evil side of him.

3. Have to save a city cause there is this acolyte who wants to turn people into monsters, and having these kinda of future englishmen soldiers fight them shooting them with machine guns.

4. Sneaks in to a base to get a cure with the most crappiest sheath system and use it on the acolyte which doesn't cure, but instead makes him more stronger fighting her to the death.

5. Meets and fights Victor Belmont and then watches him die which was the most moment killing scene ever in the series of the games.

6. Fights Carmilla, Toy Maker, Frankenstein, and Pan (The guy he killed when Pan became the Silver Warrior angel think which was a difficult boss fight).

7. Discovers that the armored guy is his son Alucard and knows the truth of what happened to him for real (Which is not surprising).

8. Fights Zobek the guy who betrayed him and also lied about ending Dracula's life to put him to rest.

9. Final and worst fight of the game you fight Satan again, but this time he looks like the lead singer of Dethklok, and has leggings which looked like the ones from the manga and anime Devilman. But wait he doesn't fight Satan, but his son who gets possessed by Satan and he uses Vampire Killer on Satan to finish him with even though the whip in the series says it can not be used by vampires or creatures of the night some how works and kills Satan again.

10. Well his son is knocked out which Dracula uses his own blood to revive him and they both stare off into the sunset which is not very memorable.

Bottom line game mechanics gets old, the story is broken and really sucks, shows they put no work hardly into it like Castlevania Judgement, and hopefully they never make more sequels to this game that would be like this. Save your money folks!
  27. Mar 24, 2014
    (note this game is NOT a 10, but I must do what I can to offset the low critic score)

I am writing this review out of a sense of duty, because the poor staff at Mercury Steam have been the targets of an unfair games journalism attack. Clearly then, this is aimed at the reviewers who awarded this game 4/10 or less, which is CRIMINAL. It is , to me at least, unfathomable to call this game " clunky, ugly and deeply misguided" - EDGE MAGAZINE -F%$# you

Graphics - (Played on PC - PS3 page is most active) - played this game on an ancient pc (core2,9600gt) and it ran INCREDIBLY. High res texture pack, max res, lighting giving>50 fps all the time. Artstyle is stupendous, textures amazing. Graphics - 10/10

Sound - An amazing score of orchestral music, great sound effects for destruction and cutting of enemies. Vioce acting from the all star cast is spot on. Sounds 8.5/10

Gameplay - Great Combat system. Easy but satisfying platforming. Fun exploration after completing the game. A few tedious stealth sections early are a bit boring. (NOTE WELL: REVIEWERS - YES YOU EDGE -HAVE LIED ABOUT THE NATURE AND PROMINENCE OF THESE, RAGING ON THE GAME FOR "NUMEROUS STEALTH SECTIONS" THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE< THEY ARE NOT ENOUGH TO RUIN THE GAME) Gameplay 7.5/10

Story - A great story with a smart twist, strong characters and a truly tragic hero. I felt bad for the poor hand that was dealt to Gabriel. Story - 8/10

Longevity - A little on the short side, but has a new game plus, and some challenges which are quite hard. 7/10
  28. Mar 22, 2014
    First things first: i have played 4 hours for now, having played through the first Bossfight and the first few fighting and sneaking sequences.
    People like to compare this game to the first part od the lords of shadow trilogy. So let me do it:
    the battle system feels as fun and flawless as in LoS 1, maybe even better because: hell yeah, you're dracula! I still think the game would be

I still think the game would be much better with more castelvania- styled music, but well, its some cinematic bulloc which i dont very much care about... its... there but i forget it after 10 minutes of gameplay.
    the story seems interesting and i very much enjoy the switching between draculas old fashioned caste and modern areas. both looks nice but ofc draculas caste looks better.
    overall, this game looks much darker, fitting better into a castlevania game. i cant really see critics hate this game so much, i enjoy it and as you can see from the users reviews, many people who loved the first game, love LoS 2 also.
    i recomment buying it even if its metascore sucks... and i cant see why it does -.-
  29. Mar 22, 2014
    It's a great game, giving a worthy end to the series Lords of Shadow.
    The only flaw of the game are the moments of Stealth. But apart from that the game is perfect.
  30. Mar 19, 2014
    Lords of Shadow 2 is considerable different and more varied than the first game.
    The possibility to be able to experience a dark fantasy future, with some aspects of "World of Darkness" and "Vampire: The Masquerade" in combination with the more traditional Gothic past is deeply interesting.
    The gameplay is more fluid and intense than the gameplay in the first game of the LoS series, but the scenery is less beautiful, inspiring and varied but more dense, explorable and bleak.
    Boss battles are creative and truly intense, the battles against Gorgons and Carmilla are between my favorite boss encounters of all time, side by side with bosses from Bayonetta, Ys and God of War.
    The exploration is relatively more open comparing to the first game of the Lords of Shadow series, more similar to Legacy of Kain games.
    Overall is a great experience for players who enjoy action adventures, "Dracula (original)", "Interview with the Vampire", "Legacy of Kain, Castlevania", "God of War", "Vampire: The Masquerade" and are able to keep an open mind.
    Some reviews talked negatively about the "rats transformation" and the "rats sections". But they forgot that in the original book, in the Coppola's movie and in the "Nosferatu" (the 1922 adaptation), Dracula transforms himself into rats to be able to hide and escape. Personally I would like to explore more hidden places as rats.
    Just like the first Lords of Shadow (a game I truly enjoy), LoS II is longer than most games of the genre.
    I played the PS3 and the PC version, the PC version has significantly improved visuals.
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    GENIUS !!

LOS 2 is probably one of the best game available in the market. the game along with story is very serious. got combats + skills makes the game complete. though it is difficult to complete game at"Prince of Darkness" difficulty...you have to be perfect in blocking and escaping from monsters when you are playing game at "Prince of Darkness" difficulty. other wise the game is
    GENIUS !!

LOS 2 is probably one of the best game available in the market.
    the game along with story is very serious. got combats + skills makes the game complete. though it is difficult to complete game at"Prince of Darkness" difficulty...you have to be perfect in blocking and escaping from monsters when you are playing game at "Prince of Darkness" difficulty. other wise the game is perfect. cool challenges though you have to find out all the stones to unlock challenges.
    if you are planing to buy off any game. i will highly recommend you guys to get this games
    will give it 9 / 10. *thumbs up*
  32. Mar 17, 2014
    This game deserves better than 6. It has a gorgeous and one of the most immersive artstyle EVER. The gameplay is not ok at all, I know, but I think the game deserves a try, and the spanish developer had to be good credited!
  33. Mar 16, 2014
    Being a major fan of the original Lords of Shadow game, I naturally felt compelled to buy this game on the grounds that it was the continuation of a story which was kind of left hanging. The one thing that had me coming back, however, was wondering how this game would work, after the ending of the first. I will mention spoilers from the first game in this review, but not from this gameBeing a major fan of the original Lords of Shadow game, I naturally felt compelled to buy this game on the grounds that it was the continuation of a story which was kind of left hanging. The one thing that had me coming back, however, was wondering how this game would work, after the ending of the first. I will mention spoilers from the first game in this review, but not from this game itself. So if you haven't yet played the first, give it a go; it's beyond worth it.

The first point that springs to mind is that you are now playing as Dracor, the dragon, or more commonly known as Dracula. This seems like a bit of twist, considering in the first you were fighting against evil, and now you are against good...or at least, in the beginning. The story starts with you, Dracula, within your vastly spaced castle, when the Brotherhood, those that you fought with in the first game, begin an all out assault against you. This beginning siege acts as an effective tutorial, allowing you to come to grips with a more fluent climbing system, and a decent, yet slightly perplexing, combat system. After this battle faces it's epic conclusion, the story of Dracula is detailed, of his family and his offspring. This is the beginning setup to an epic battle against both good and evil.

The game will have you weaving in and out between modern day Castlevania City and a strange, ethereal world, in which you face a strange underworld like environment, multiple complex castle environments with varying features and sections, battling different foes, some from the previous game, others new and currently unbeknownst to the player. Whilst the characters are well detailed and rather imaginative, this is where Castlevania faces it's first flaw; uninspired environments feel slightly repetitive, and give that cookie cutter feel that makes you feel you've been here before, when you haven't. This goes forgotten, however, when you take in the detail and fantastic Gothic feel of each area, beautifully designed and almost unforgettable....almost...

What about the characters? Well, each has a very distinct aura about them, and all feel perfectly crafted, from the mysterious Toy Maker to the dark yet sophisticated Zobek, they never disappoint. Perfect voice acting by the legend Patrick Stewart, along with multiple other distinct characterisations, bring the world to life.

What I felt was one of the games biggest downfalls was the story; it feels slightly hollow and empty, not much more than a mere cliche ("the devil is coming, we must destroy his accomplices and stop him in his tracks" just feels cheap and gimmicky). However, it does still serve, and the game does more than just throw simple challenges your way, with you instead having to battle demons which can be at times very difficult, and a welcome challenge. You will also battle smaller minions, brotherhood soldiers, and corrupt, steam-punk-esque riot police. Enemies feel varied, but can also occasionally feel quite samey.

Finally, the combat; it feels almost like that of DMC (the modern version), only with a pretty decent skill tree, allowing you to expand and learn new combat skills and upgrade old ones. However, some of these go to waste as you will end up using practically the same combos every time, and the upgrades tree feels almost like wasted potential.

Overall, the game is definitely worth buying and playing if you enjoyed the previous LoS. If not, however, this may not be for you, as you will feel disoriented and not so much invested in the story. As for comparison, I feel that LoS was far greater, and when having to choose between the two, the original, at least for me, is the clear winner.
  34. Mar 16, 2014
    Oh dear.

Imagine if you will, the possibilities of a modern third-person interpretation of a classic Castlevania adventure. Good isn't it?

Now imagine that experience pushed aside for a "God of war clone". And a bad one at that.

As I played through the game, it just made me want to play God of war 2. So I did. I had a great time.
  35. Mar 16, 2014
    I was a fan of the first one. You do fight the camera a bit (it is easier to keep it fixed) but the graphical improvement is amazing. This is my new favorite hack n slash. It beats out God of war 3 by far. How it is getting mediocre reviews blows my mind. There is way more to upgrade and the reward for beating enemies using skill is just DOPE! Even taking out regular minions is a lot ofI was a fan of the first one. You do fight the camera a bit (it is easier to keep it fixed) but the graphical improvement is amazing. This is my new favorite hack n slash. It beats out God of war 3 by far. How it is getting mediocre reviews blows my mind. There is way more to upgrade and the reward for beating enemies using skill is just DOPE! Even taking out regular minions is a lot of fun! Maybe it was the setting that subconsciously turned people off. I can only tell u that you must own this game. Since the reviews are mediocre it will be on sale soon, so pick it up. It is long. I assumed I would beat it in two days non stop gaming! NOPE. You will thank me for my honesty. I hope the dlc isn't a disappointment like the extremely difficult first game. Enric Alvarez.....next time keep the camera fixed. (Creator of the game) 9-10 A REAL MANS GAME...NO NONSENSE BLOODY ACTION....PUT THE KIDS TO BED AND DRINK SOME BLOOD!!! Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2014
    i just finished this game and im happy to say that i didn't listen to the bad reviews because i knew this game was awesome , mercury steam did a great job with this game¡¡
  37. Mar 13, 2014
    I was going to give this game a strong 8, but I felt the last few chapters of the game (4-5 hours of gameplay) were really disappointing and felt rushed. The game starts out strong with the acts transitioning you from the castle to modern day. The castle sequences were the best part of the game because it reminded me of the first one(which is vastly superior to this one), and had the rightI was going to give this game a strong 8, but I felt the last few chapters of the game (4-5 hours of gameplay) were really disappointing and felt rushed. The game starts out strong with the acts transitioning you from the castle to modern day. The castle sequences were the best part of the game because it reminded me of the first one(which is vastly superior to this one), and had the right bit of platforming and combat. The modern day environments felt shallow and dull compared to the toy maker and the ancient castle settings.

A lot of complaints about the stealth sections, but apart from the garden one (you'll know when you face it), they weren't that bad. Unnecessary and out of place, but not worth the gamebreaking scores.

Still, the soundtrack is amazing and the combat is very fluid. The last half, especially the ending, just felt disjointed and a sense that the team might've rushed to finish the game on time. The ending is also a huge disappointment considering the game's plot. I still recommend it if you played the first one, but be prepared that it isn't as epic.
  38. Mar 13, 2014
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is a fine conclusion to the Lords of Shadow Saga, once I started the game I couldn't put the controller down.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 provides you with a deep Combat System, enhanced by new weapons such as the Void Sword and the Chaos Claws, the encounters will never be the same, you have a wide range of abilities and moves, enemies will always keep you on your toe, and finishing them off will feel satisfying, I can't stress how Lords of Shadow 2 takes the Combat System to the next level, more fluid, more varied, and much more empowering, Also Boss Battles are the best you will ever see in a 3D Action Adventure // Hack n Slash game, there is no bad boss battles here, every single one of them is awesome beyond measures.

As for the visuals, the Castle is a marvelous piece, while the city has its great moments, yet as a whole package you won't feel like "meeeh, this part looks bad", no you will feel astonished by the environment and the Gothic atmosphere of the city, the Sound Track is awesome, very compelling, and touching.

The Story will suck you in, I kept pushing forward, wanting to know what will happen next, and while some people complain about the ending, I find it a bitter sweet one, reminds me of Legacy of Kain Defiance ending, It was heart warming, and I loved every single moment of the game.

Over all I believe that Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is one of the best titles released in 2014, and the best Action Adventure // Hack n Slash title, being able to play as The Dragon, Dracul, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 earned in my heart the place of Game of The Generation.
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. In a day and age where the market is satured to the brim with endless FPS clones, and mediocre game - LOS2 - simply shines among the rest. Do not go by the so-called professional reviews since they are just paid, biased, or just plain stupid. The art is simply amazing, as well as the majestic architecture of the game, is simply astounding. ThisOne of the best games I have ever played. In a day and age where the market is satured to the brim with endless FPS clones, and mediocre game - LOS2 - simply shines among the rest. Do not go by the so-called professional reviews since they are just paid, biased, or just plain stupid. The art is simply amazing, as well as the majestic architecture of the game, is simply astounding. This game has it all - drama, the best EPIC OST, and killer gameplay.
    The combat system is deep and very rewarding, if you played LOS - you are right at home, if not - pick up the LOS collectiong which contains Mirror of Fate, LOS + ALL DLC content - simply a bargain.
    This game kicks ass in all levels, it is about 17 hours PLUS NG+ which allows you to carry over your items. The new DLC coming will have Alucard playable - this is simply heaven. A must BUY.
  40. Mar 10, 2014
    O jogo é bom, a história ficou um pouco confusa e não é tão boa quanto o primeiro, mas é um ótimo jogo em todo o resto, o jogo é divertido e tem um nível de dificuldade bom..
  41. Mar 10, 2014
    I had high hopes for this game. I was a fan of the first Lords of Shadow and when I heard the sequel was coming out, I made sure to reserve it right away. However, when I played it for the first time, I have to say that it wasn't the game I thought it would be. I thought playing as Dracula for the first time ever in the series would be more exciting. Though it does deliver on goodI had high hopes for this game. I was a fan of the first Lords of Shadow and when I heard the sequel was coming out, I made sure to reserve it right away. However, when I played it for the first time, I have to say that it wasn't the game I thought it would be. I thought playing as Dracula for the first time ever in the series would be more exciting. Though it does deliver on good action, it is not too much different than the last game and let's be honest, even the last game was a God of War clone. The stealth sections were a chore to go through and slowed down the action. I also thought even though the characters were nicely designed, the rest of the graphics, especially the majority of the areas you explore were a bit uninspired. The voice work was good. Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart both did a great job. I thought the game was okay, but that's it; just okay. It wasn't as great as the first game, but it was still decent. Probably good for one or two playthroughs, but not much more. Expand
  42. Mar 6, 2014
    Great game.The combat has been improved,the level design (in most levels) is excellent,the music is awsome and the story is great.The stealth parts are monotonus and mediocre but the rest features more than make up for it.I dont get why it got so bad reviews,just buy it and you wont regret that.
  43. Mar 6, 2014
    Injusticia, esa es la palabra que mas me ha venido a la mente durante las 23 horas que me ha durado este INCREIBLE Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2. Y es que lo que ha pasado con las notas de este videojuego es algo que escapa a toda lógica y te hace pensar hasta que punto los críticos están comprados o lo objetivos que pueden llegar a ser. Como bien dijo Enric Alvarez (director del juego)Injusticia, esa es la palabra que mas me ha venido a la mente durante las 23 horas que me ha durado este INCREIBLE Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2. Y es que lo que ha pasado con las notas de este videojuego es algo que escapa a toda lógica y te hace pensar hasta que punto los críticos están comprados o lo objetivos que pueden llegar a ser. Como bien dijo Enric Alvarez (director del juego) en la entrevista que le hicieron en Eurogamer..."El que ponga un 4 a este juego (como la revista Edge) o está ciego o es idiota".

En primer lugar el juego deja de lado el desarrollo por niveles inconexos dando lugar a un Metroidvania en 3D como lo pueda ser Batman Arkham Asylum, Darksiders I y II, Shadowman, Soul Reaver, etc. Es decir, el mapeado ahora es libre, pero tendremos las oportunas "barreras" para no poder explorarlo todo desde un principio, si no que tendremos que ir consiguiendo nuevas habilidades y "gadgets" para ir pudiendo avanzar por el mapa. Curiosamente esto es algo que se ha criticado al juego, alegando que ya no tiene nada de Castlevania cuando es el Castlevania con mayor componente de Metroidvania desde el legendario Symphony of the Night.
    Además el mapeado es bastante grande teniendo en cuenta que hay "pasado" y "presente" y son 2 mapas totalmente diferentes (incluso son diferentes enemigos), los 2 MUY bien interconectados.

Técnicamente uno de los mayores cambios es que la cámara ahora es totalmente libre (uno de los puntos criticados del 1º juego) y te deja apreciar los APABULLANTES escenarios creador con un mimo y detalle que quitan el hipo, donde, además de no tener tiempos de carga, TODAS las escenas cinemáticas están generadas en tiempo real, se acabaron los vídeos de mala calidad, se acabaron los 30 fps en las escenas, esto en mi opinión es un grandisimo punto a favor y que dice bastante del estudio, ya que podían haber optado por la vía rápida como el resto de estudios y hacerlos pre-renderizados.
    Los modelados poligonales, texturas (algunas mejores y otras peores) y animaciones han mejorado mucho respecto al 1º juego y desde luego que rayan a muy buen nivel (siempre hay que tener en cuenta que el juego ha salido en la obsoleta generación de consolas así que tampoco se le puede exigir remodelados en PC), los efectos de luces y sombras son bastante buenos aunque me habría gustado algo mas de resolución en las sombras.

Jugablemente en los combates sigue el mismo esquema que en el 1, tendremos la espada del Vacío para curarnos y las Garras del Cáos para dañar, y de arma principal el látigo pero esta vez "de sangre", tenemos los mismos movimientos y cómbos que en el 1, esto en mi opinión si podría ser un punto algo negativo pues podrían haber creado mas cómbos, pero tampoco tenía queja del 1º, así que la única queja que podría tener es de "poco avance" en la mecánica.

La banda sonora es INCREIBLE y una de las mejores bandas sonoras que ha dado el mundo del videojuego, y pensar que he llegado a leer que la banda sonora del juego es una mierda.... en fin... Óscar Araujo (repetidor en la saga) se ha salido por los 4 costados, con algunos temas ÉPICOS.
    El doblaje ingles también es brutísimo, la voz de Dracula (lógicamente repetidora) suena de verdad "atormentada" e "iracunda", nada que ver con el registro de "heroe" del anterior juego. En general la historia me ha encantado (con GRAN giro argumental incluido) y sobre todo la forma de contarla, pues en el juego esta basado en un pasado "onírico" y en el presente. Lógicamente de esto apenas hablaré por que no quiero destripar nada. Como puntos negativos en este aspecto le pondría dos. Uno sería el final que ha sido bastante simple y abierto. Y el otro que el juego debería de tener una especie de "resumen" de lo que paso en Castlevania Mirror of Fate pues tiene MUCHO que ver con este juego y lo tienes que seguir mas por contexto que por que te expliquen que ha pasado, lo explican pero muy rápido y sin demasiados detalles, y el problema es que el juego no ha salido en PC.... (aún).

En definitiva, para mi el MEJOR CASTLEVANIA que he jugado nunca, ya podían hacerme un remake de SOTN pero hecho así y con este sistema de lucha, NO DEJES ENGAÑARTE por las notas... por que este juego no es ni de 7, (mucho menos de 4)... yo le casco un 9 como una casa.
  44. Mar 5, 2014
    I am a big fan of old school side scroller Castlevania, also Metroidvania, I would love to see a new metroidvania coming out, but it doesn't mean I should ignore a game's quality and give it a biased score simply because how it does not represent its old self.
    This game is simply amazing. Beautiful scenery, fluent combat system, multiple approaches to different combat situations, awesome voice casting, well written dialogues, overall a very enjoyable game. I also love the aspect that they introduced so many characters from the classical castlevania games, and try to round out the story of the entire castlevania series, brings back good memories.
  45. Mar 5, 2014
    I'm glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews of this one. And I struggle to imagine the bad reviews are of the same game. The Quality and game-play is good and the atmosphere and artwork are exceptional. Yes, it's likely LOS2 was rushed out the door in order to make the deadline before the inevitable end of the last gen consoles. It might have fared better with an upgrade to the PS4I'm glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews of this one. And I struggle to imagine the bad reviews are of the same game. The Quality and game-play is good and the atmosphere and artwork are exceptional. Yes, it's likely LOS2 was rushed out the door in order to make the deadline before the inevitable end of the last gen consoles. It might have fared better with an upgrade to the PS4 and XB1 and a few more months of polish. But the title as released is still very good. Expand
  46. Mar 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My actual score is 7.5/10 (rounded it's 8/10). First of all, I found the stealth sections annoying, that's my main criticism. I also thought the minor enemies were "meh" The ones in the first game were classical and well designed (werewolves, trolls, vampires, zombies) now we got demonic mutants? I liked the dishonored vampires though, too bad there was only a few of them. However the combat is an improvement, I liked the combat of LoS1. Mainly cause they give you more weapons then just the whip. I also liked how they gave it an adjustable camera, something I felt the first game should have had. The story? I actually like it, why? Cause it actually surprised me. While most people say the knew the Lieutenant was Alucard. I honestly didn't see it coming. Because between only seeing Alucard in the past, and seeing the illusion of young Trevor. I was convinced that Alucard was gonna get killed off in the beginning. the ending I'm kinda mixed on, cause while I was expecting Dracula to die and move on. I kinda like that they left it open-ended. However it feels kinda unsatisfying, especially since it's meant to be the end of the series. The setting I'm kinda mixed, I felt the enemies with guns were odd, but I thought the environments were beautifully designed, I got a similar vibe to the original Devil May Cry. The boss fights were epic and felt in-line with the first game. They really took people thinking Saten was too easy of a final boss to heart. Alucard possessed by Satan (whom I have nicknamed SAlucard) kicked my ass soo many times, but I got him in the end. Overall I rate this 7.5/10, it's got some flaws, but overall is a good game. Expand
  47. Mar 4, 2014
    O game e instigante, depois de jogar o primeiro game e descobrir que Gabriel se torna o até então Drácula e viver suas dúvidas e conflitos e épico, só ficou devendo o final...
  48. Mar 4, 2014
    WONDERFUL GAMEPLAY!!! AMAZING SOUNDTRACK!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. Great Game nice one konami. Nice mastery of weapon skills . But most of all great soundtrack and story
  49. Mar 4, 2014
    If you're looking for a action fighting game like bayonetta or god of war 1 where you can just combo baddies and get in the flow this is not the game. LoS 2 is just way too fragmented by cut scenes, exploration, and stealth to be comparable to any great hack and slash game. All the comments about how they fixed the fighting are true and false, they did fix the responsiveness of theIf you're looking for a action fighting game like bayonetta or god of war 1 where you can just combo baddies and get in the flow this is not the game. LoS 2 is just way too fragmented by cut scenes, exploration, and stealth to be comparable to any great hack and slash game. All the comments about how they fixed the fighting are true and false, they did fix the responsiveness of the controls but they failed to implement those new controls and moves in satisfying gameplay. For the first four hours of the game you're lucky if you fight more than 3 baddies every hour. There are tons of moves to unlock yet they are either unnecessary or impractical unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty. The exploration aspect (backtracking) in the game is more tedious than other metroidvania style games but don't ask me why, it could be all the loading or the poor world map and navigation. If you loved the first LoS you might love this game, they are basically the same overall with strengths and weaknesses swapped around. This company is obviously incapable of making an A+ title and most likely will consistently produce 7/10 products like raven software. I could go on for pages about how this game is painful average and how I expected so much more based on some reviews but I'm going to save some time and just say if you loved the first LoS and have no concern for old castlevania games then you should play this. Just because this game is the standard of mediocrity does not mean its a bad game, it's just one of those things that comes down to how in love with the world and characters you are instead of how well structured the gameplay is... Expand
  50. Mar 3, 2014
    First off before I justify my average score or "yellow" score, the game was fun. This of course is coming from a Castlevania fan who also thoroughly enjoy the first game in this portrayal of the long time video game adaptation of "Creatures of the Night" as were some of my fondest memories on NES as a child. With that being, I also do not get caught up in the typical "God of War clone"First off before I justify my average score or "yellow" score, the game was fun. This of course is coming from a Castlevania fan who also thoroughly enjoy the first game in this portrayal of the long time video game adaptation of "Creatures of the Night" as were some of my fondest memories on NES as a child. With that being, I also do not get caught up in the typical "God of War clone" dribble that meat-headed IQ lacking gamers tend try to compare any 3D action game that has been created since that serie's release. Apparently there is a plethora of uneducated, inexperienced gamers who have never played DMC, RE, and even Castlevania Lament of Innocence.

Before the negatives, I will say that yet again Mercurysteam has created another beautiful world of Castlevania, definitely much darker than it's predecessor. The combat is more challenging and engaging, requiring the thinking cap & press continue button alot more than your typical button mash action game. That was very enjoyable IMO, and the bosses were great too. The overall gameplay + combat was very good in this game and getting play as Dracula in a Castlevania game for the first time ever is another bonus.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, on to the nitty gritty of the negatives. I have been anxiously awaiting this game since the after credits cut scene from LoS 1, and I can't deny that it was a cool, fun ride. I can't help though leaving this game with a feeling that it felt rushed due to the fact that they tried to do too much, but couldn't fit it all in their time frame. Going from the past to present day and seeing modern technology in a Castlevania game just felt awkward to me, but I played on none-the-less. Even with this aspect in the game, certain other aspect just felt tacked on and cheap such as Chupacabra's shop which I never used once, especially since it requires currency from which you must also use to acquire new abilities. The entire relic system seemed overdone, half of them were never used from my experience so that felt wasted as well. Although the game is meant to be "open world" it still feels a bit limited, and can be exhausting traveling around to find previous secrets, especially considering that some areas are impossible to get to without completely backtracking around. The map room which is supposed to reduce travel time is somewhat confusing, and was rarely used as well. When you went somwhere, you would oftentimes feel lost if you were not on the main mission path. The also felt very short in a sense that they wanted to do so much with it like I said earlier, but because of the scale/magnitude with I imagine development time constraints, they had to hack up a lot of what they wanted to do and piece together what is currently Lords of Shadow 2.

I don't really see myself doing any second playthroughs, shooting for any completionist acheivements or anything like that TBH but I could be interested in DLC for a continuation of the storyline. Others may have been happy with it, but I feel rather disappointed and short sold on the ending with out giving away any spoilers of course. It's not a terrible game by any means and I don't regret my purchase or playing it, but I think this game could have been so much more. Think the developers should have stuck to one time period or the other, then focused on making the story better than the first...
  51. Mar 3, 2014
    There was a good game somewhere in this thing, but it was overshadowed by some very poor design choices. The positives were definitely the music score, the combat, and the art design; like the first LOS, the music was top notch. The combat system was fun and rewarding--I enjoyed having to learn and actually use new moves to power up the weapons. It made the combat more varied than spammingThere was a good game somewhere in this thing, but it was overshadowed by some very poor design choices. The positives were definitely the music score, the combat, and the art design; like the first LOS, the music was top notch. The combat system was fun and rewarding--I enjoyed having to learn and actually use new moves to power up the weapons. It made the combat more varied than spamming the same 3 attacks in most similar games. The art design was quite good, the characters and settings were quite striking.

The downsides ruined a great deal of the game for me. Foremost among them were the stealth sections--whenever the game seemed to be gaining momentum, these sections immediately brought the action to a screeching halt. It wasn't even that they were very difficult, they just took a great deal of trial and error to find the correct path. It felt like there were a lot of other mechanics that were thrown in, but given up on--there were several coop sections where you briefly worked with an NPC, but the idea was never carried through. The puzzle design left a lot to be desired, too.
  52. Mar 3, 2014
    What's going on with the critics nowadays? When I've heared about first reviews and very low scores for Lords of Shadow 2, I felt I should be depressed, that the game I've been waiting for so long, and the sequel to one of the best games of past generation, is going to be a complete disappointment. Thank god I stopped paying attention the professional critics opinion, as I would've missedWhat's going on with the critics nowadays? When I've heared about first reviews and very low scores for Lords of Shadow 2, I felt I should be depressed, that the game I've been waiting for so long, and the sequel to one of the best games of past generation, is going to be a complete disappointment. Thank god I stopped paying attention the professional critics opinion, as I would've missed a really great sequel, which doesn't fail in comparison to it's predecessor.
    First of all - this game finally has a lot more in common with the true Castlevania than the original LOS ever head. LOS2 not only has some outstanding gothic locations for MOST of the game, but it also has a lot of metroidvania elements in terms of level design, which is something a lot of us wanted, so it's really great to see when the developer is paying attention to people's opinion. Of course sadly LOS2 has some weaker elements, like stealth sections and a couple of really ugly locations in the modern times, especially during the first our of the game, but this is a really small percent of what the game has to offer. It's a bit like modern sections in Assassin's Creed series - they're there from time to time, but they are not the main course and they certainly don't ruin the whole experience. Besides even the modern sections of the city have a few really good looking areas, that look like some dark vision of Cologne or Madrid. As for combat...It's still rather simple, but also felt more tactical than in the first LOS, which combined with really cool enemies and fantastic and memorable bossfights, made great gameplay even better it the sequel. The story is there, maybe not as well written as in the first game, but perhaps that's because all of this jumping between time periods, I haven't felt that sense of "adventure" as in the first LOS. Anyways, if you've played the first game and loved it....you're probably playing Lords of Shadow right now or finished it already :) If you're new to the series and you're wondering what's the big deal with this Castelvania reboot - don't hesitate any longer, and grab the whole Lords of Shadow trilogy, it's really great reimagining of the series that's been around for so many years. Perhaps those game are not perfect, but they're certainly one of the best in it's kind. I give Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 a bloody 9/10 :)
  53. Mar 3, 2014
    Whoever is giving this game a 10/10 must be the developers themselves or need a serious reality check.
    I loved the first one to a degree that was borderline unhealthy. This on the other hand is just about the most aggravating half arsed piece of **** that has been released all year. To even put in the same title is an insult.
    This game will have you screaming at your TV more times than
    This game will have you screaming at your TV more times than you can count. Especially the retarded sneak sequences alone are worth the deduction of 5 points, not only do you get instakilled if you get spotted, the game starts you all the way at the beginning of the chapter again and as topping it even loads the goddamn thing once again, even though you just walked 3 steps and got killed. On top of that the game is epicly bad at indicating where you need to go next, which especially is a problem in these sneak sequences.
    The whole thing feels generic and like padding to make it last longer than it needs to.

All in all, I would give the first Castlevania a 9/10 - this a 5/10 tops - anyone who has played the first can then compare on their own.
  54. Mar 3, 2014
    I´m just in the first hours of the game, but the critic score don´t have any sense. The combat system is an improvement from the first one, the camera isn´t fixed anymore. The stealth sections isn´t bad either.
    If you love the first Lord of Shadow, you´re gonna love this one too.
  55. Mar 3, 2014
    A fantastic experience that I was sad to see the credits roll to. The combat system is incredibly solid ,one of the best in years in my opinion, however I did find a lot of fights a bit too easy even on the hard difficulty. Despite criticisms, I did not find the stealth segments particularly annoying though they do not add much. The game boats a fantastic cast which really made theA fantastic experience that I was sad to see the credits roll to. The combat system is incredibly solid ,one of the best in years in my opinion, however I did find a lot of fights a bit too easy even on the hard difficulty. Despite criticisms, I did not find the stealth segments particularly annoying though they do not add much. The game boats a fantastic cast which really made the characters come alive. There are one or two little hiccups in gameplay that could be annoying, such as figuring out where to go next or finding a switch to activate X or Y but overall this is an incredibly solid game. Check it out! Expand
  56. Mar 3, 2014
    This is the first time I've ever taken it upon myself to write a review for a game. Mostly because I think the media isn't doing this game the justice it deserves, but also because this is already a top contender for my GOTY 2014.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is a spectacular game in every way and will leave you wanting more, much like Lords of Shadow 1 did. However, they've changed a lot from LoS1, and that's a good thing. First of all, fans of LoS1 will notice right away that you have a free camera. This gives you greater opportunity for exploration than a fixed cam, and you'll need it in this massive world and Dracula's massive castle.

I would also like to mention that they've changed many of the things that frustrated players in LoS1 like the unfairness level. Make no mistake, this game is difficult, but it's not unfair like LoS1. For instance, when climbing around in LoS1 I was constantly lost and stuck in places for longer than I should've been, but in LoS2 they've added the feature that while you're climbing around a swarm of bats guides you to your next ledge. If that's not enough, you can also push L2 to highlight every possible ledge that you need to progress. It's a great option for those who get stuck. Another good example of this one leveling the fairness and playing field is that countering enemies has been made much easier. If anyone remembers the fight with Pan in the first one knows how frustrating blocking can be in LoS1, but in LoS2 it signals clearly when a enemy will be performing an un-blockable attack.

Among other things that made this one more fair is the fact that it actually explains things! It took me forever to figure out what those little quick-time rings meant in the first one, but this one explains everything and is very helpful.

The stealth controversy has been overblown as well and I'd like to take a minute to address that. The media is having a field day with it and ruining an otherwise amazing experience for other people. It's not just "not bad". In fact, the stealth sections are very enjoyable. Even if you don't find them entertaining, there aren't that many of them and they're short. Turning into a plague of rats is different and interesting, and it seems like something a creature of the dark would do. It breaks the mold of wolf-->bat-->mist in an intriguing way and when we take into consideration that these vampires are shape-shifters, there's really little to complain about.

Another thing to consider about the stealth segments, and I warn you of MILD SPOILERS beforehand, is the story. Think about it. Dracula has just awoken from an extended sleep and his castle and servants are nonexistent anymore. He's all on his own. Not only that he's very weak from that sleep. If you add that to the fact that he, very literally, has the army of hell on his heals with the chance of becoming Satan's pin doll for all of eternity, we can understand the need to sneak about satanic strongholds a few times.

END SPOILERS

As it has been said, the combat is natural and fun and takes nothing away from the combat in LoS1. I would even argue that it improves it and the upgrade system for each weapon is fun to visit and experiment with.

One final thing I'd like to say about this game is that there isn't a single bug or glitch that I've found. For a massive, open-world game like this I think that's impressive. Especially if you consider that much larger studios than Mercury Steam that release triple A titles almost always have bugs in their open-world games. Like I said, I haven't come up against a single bug in the game. I've completed the story and am currently at 86% completion of the game. The only things I really haven't done are the Kleidos challenges, so the jury is out on that.

About the Kleidos challenges, it was nice of Mercury Steam to put those in there to prolong the life of the game involving one of it's greatest strengths: the battle gameplay. There are a lot of them, and those looking to gain this relatively easy platinum trophy will have quite an enjoyable journey on their hands.

Other additions that they've added to prolong the game is a greater difficulty setting and New Game + after your first play through. In New Game + you keep everything (lore, artwork-->GORGEOUS, gems, kleidos challenges) except the skills you've earned, but don't worry, you're reimbursed all the skill points you used so that when those skills become available, you will have sufficient points to get everything you had before.

All in all, I gave this game a 10 and I think it's a masterpiece. It's already a heavy contender for my GOTY 2014 and I can't wait for the DLC. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.
  57. Mar 2, 2014
    A fantastic Game Where Finally you get to play as Dracula and after playing it myself and seeing some of the poor reviews and the Good reviews do out way them by the way. I've come to never Trust "Professional" reviewers Again. Everything about this game is actually fun and awesome and for the Stealth Parts Some people seem to Gripe About if you actually use your brain and the tools theA fantastic Game Where Finally you get to play as Dracula and after playing it myself and seeing some of the poor reviews and the Good reviews do out way them by the way. I've come to never Trust "Professional" reviewers Again. Everything about this game is actually fun and awesome and for the Stealth Parts Some people seem to Gripe About if you actually use your brain and the tools the Game gives you they are rather easy. so in the end I say play the Game for yourself you shall not be Disappointed. Expand
  58. Mar 2, 2014
    Full of holes, poor gameplay, zero innovation and messy characters story. Definitely do not recommend either a hack and slash, look for DmC. Ok que é um desenvolvedora pequena, mesmo assim o jogo não vale o preço.
  59. Mar 2, 2014
    Imagine where the next platform is to your right, but you can't press right and jump to reach it, instead you press down and jump to reach it. What kind of BS are you dealing with? Platforming in Lords Of Shadow 2, that's what. The platforming sucks big time and there is no other save games that you can reload from if you are stuck there with very little health.

This is what exactly

This is what exactly happened to me when I was stuck in the train sequence. Finding out painfully that right + jump doesn't move me to the next platform and getting shot at = losing quite a bit of life. Surprisingly, this isn't the first time that this happened in the game either. Then to top it off, you are supposed to be avoiding those platforms on the train sequence and sometimes your controller won't respond to your command either. And you can't load from another save point because the game choose the load point and you can't load from another one unless you want to start the mission all over again which means you wasted like 20 - 30 minutes.

The combat is decent but some of the choices of enemies are very dubious, like several demons carrying a shotgun in a small corridor that I have to get through. Or how about an enemy hitting me with a projectile as soon as I climbed up from a stair into the battlefield. The enemies should not have spotted me yet but according to the engine, I'm already in combat.

The stealth element is very much restricted, why can't I knock out the guards if I'm spotted? I should be able to knock off the guard if I'm being spotted, but no they carry a big ass gun and pretty much means I'm dead by the time I'm spotted. These stealth elements are lacking.

Overall, Lords Of Shadow 2 is a big step backward from the excellent Lords Of Shadow. It is unfortunate that MercurySteam thought that it would mix up the element with crappy platforming and crappy stealth. Plus with most of the plot seems to be making not a lot of sense either, it does not help either. Too bad the Lords Of Shadow trilogy have to sent off with such a mediocre effort, fans deserved better.
  60. Mar 2, 2014
    I'm giving it a 9. 10 if they kept all buttons the same. It's a great game. Great sequel. I don't get critiques low scores when it's a solid game that has you hooked. Same with DMC and metal gear rising. There amazing games and beautiful. This game will have you craving blood.
  61. Mar 2, 2014
    As an "O.G." Castlevania fan, (I'm 36 and I've played virtually all of them since the original NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2 and the phenomenal DS titles) I can honestly say that Castlevania has finally made a successful jump to the 3-D playing field, I hope we continue to get more of these games (Some 2-D games like the DS titles would be great too).

Overall, LOS 2 is a great game. Lots

Overall, LOS 2 is a great game. Lots of upgrades to attain, lots of action to be enjoyed (some epic boss battles).

Ignore the critics and even the developer who've given this game negative reviews. If you enjoyed the first game, you'll certainly enjoy this one.

The "stealth" parts that many critics are complaining about is nothing to be concerned about, as the stealth portions mostly have you transforming into a rat and finding ways to get around stronger enemies. The stealth parts are also quite few and far between, so it's nothing that really throws off the continuity of the game.

Graphics are on par with the best of the best last-gen titles and sound is quite memorable and fitting for the environments.

One of the few negatives in my opinion is there's a specific upgrade (I won't mention which one, but you'll figure it out once you play) that takes too long to attain. You won't really need it earlier in the game, but it would have been nice to have earlier than the game decides to give it to you.
  62. Mar 2, 2014
    Great evolution of LoS. Improvements in combat, graphics and music. More exploration, Skills, nice story.. I really don't understand the low score. If you like hack and slash you can play LoS 2.
  63. Mar 1, 2014
    Don't understand the hate that this game is getting. This game is anything but a me too clone of other games. Whether or not you dislike some of the design choices or themes you have to respect that they have tried to do different things with the game. I am around halfway through judging on the trophies, and i really don't understand how this is reviewing so poorly. Real people that shellDon't understand the hate that this game is getting. This game is anything but a me too clone of other games. Whether or not you dislike some of the design choices or themes you have to respect that they have tried to do different things with the game. I am around halfway through judging on the trophies, and i really don't understand how this is reviewing so poorly. Real people that shell out hard urned money to buy games are giving this game good scores in the user comments for a reason.

Graphics are very good for a ps3/360 gen game. Art direction is very good as well, sure some of the modern day elements are a bit drab, but don't let reviewers fool you it's not as if this is dragon age 2 with recycled tilesets ad nauseum, they have a very interesting city with gothic elements here. The flashback castle elements are really great if you were looking for the style of the original game.

The music is very good, could score a big budget movie and receive praise. It is not remixes of old nes and symphony of the night tracks, boo fricken hoo. I frankly think this is better it suits the game more and the themes.

Gameplay, is tight with many skills to upgrade and moves to master, the game forces you to mix up your strategies in combat even at default difficulty. The camera is free this time, and the gameworld is linked up so you can backtrack and explores despite a mostly linear progression. Contrary to erroneous comments via some reviewers there is a fast travel option accross the city/castle through map rooms, which are really cool and well done. There is gameplay plus after completing the main game, many unclockables and combat challenges to find. The so called horrible stealth, is a bit simplistic but it is in no means bad or hard, i had very little difficulty getting past the challenges that have occurred and it is more of a sprinkling than constant tedium. They don't add a whole lot, but i do understand them trying to play up the nature of this side of the character. The reviewers that hated it so much must be sh i t at games, and annoyed they couldn't rush through the game at 63% completion to post their hatoraide review. I honestly don't see what the problem is, at no point does this game pretend it's metal gear, and at no point are the sections going to keep someone from enjoying the game. Would it be better without it maybe, but don't keep that from finishing the game. Also one last note and it applies to stealth, i turned off the hints system at the start of the game, and i have not had any issues figuring things out, as it still tells you the crucial things with it turned off. on that note if you hate qte's you can turn that off too, but i actually like it in the lords of shadows games so i leave it on.

Story, I am finding it very interesting having really enjoyed the first game. It is interesting to see the story play out and how things are in draculas mind, it is kind of a mind bender the memories and the castle, i am really interested to see how it ends. I find it interesting at how some people build up some games stories to b s levels and then compare games like this that is doing it's own thing to them. it's now like any of those so called masterpiece stories for games hold up to movies or books, they just don't, it's more like masterpiece for a game. lords 2 has a good story it's just drawn out over 20 hour game, but it really keeps you motivated to play along with the solid combat mechanics.

I've gone on quite a bit here, but bottom line, and i will update my final comments upon completion if need be, is that it is a game more in the 8 - 9 range what end of it depends on your tastes and whether you have finished the other games in the series. are there some oddities? yes, but there is also a really enjoyable game here with no game breaking bugs, a free camera in an 3rd person gothic action game, great score, solid voice acting, an interesting story in a diverse dual realmed campaign with great graphics and art direction. it's a bit of a black sheep of a game but it is one brimming with merit, and it is anything but soulless despite the protagonist being dracula. If you wanted old 2d style metroidvania but if you wanted an evolution this is it flaws and all. Only wish it was on ps4 as well but i am happy to have this on the shelf with the first, and I cannot wait to enjoy the art book when that arrives next week. 9 / 10. Not disapointed in the least.
  64. Mar 1, 2014
    I think it´s a great game with some bad things, but never is a 40´s game. This game has a huge value with combat, atmosphere, music and history. I love when you used the fog skill in combat to dodge attacks.
  65. Mar 1, 2014
    Fantástica forma de seguir la saga,tiene quizas menos profundidad de historia,pero vale la pena y con creces.Ojalá que las demás sagas de Konami se pongan al día como esta.
  66. Mar 1, 2014
    Awesome atmosphere, nice details and enjoyable combat.
    i really like the story and they make good job that you really feel like you are dracula.
    at hard mode you can enjoy tension, thanks for this game guys
  67. Feb 28, 2014
    I'm starting to wonder if these user reviews are from Mercury Steam employees. I finished Lords of Shadow 2 about an hour ago and I have to warn my fellow gamers. DO NOT buy LoS 2. If you want to play it I highly recommend that you rent or borrow it. There is no way this game deserves higher than a 4 out of 10. It is by far one of the worst games I have ever played, and this is comingI'm starting to wonder if these user reviews are from Mercury Steam employees. I finished Lords of Shadow 2 about an hour ago and I have to warn my fellow gamers. DO NOT buy LoS 2. If you want to play it I highly recommend that you rent or borrow it. There is no way this game deserves higher than a 4 out of 10. It is by far one of the worst games I have ever played, and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow. The story is very poorly written and executed, the environments are drab and uninspired, the voice acting is mediocre at best but the dialogue is atrocious. I wanted to play Castlevania, not Castle Gear Solid Gaiden Sigma 2. If I was overseeing this game I would've scrapped the entire thing and started over. This game is an absolute disgrace. Expand
  68. Feb 28, 2014
    After playing A LOT this game and going deep enough, I can't understand the bad reviews at all. This game is simply majestic. Excellent controls, fun combat system, marvellous graphics and an exquisite art direction. This game take an step further of the previous LOS giving a sense of freshness and grandeur that few games have.The City is simple gorgeous...a gothic magalithic modern darkAfter playing A LOT this game and going deep enough, I can't understand the bad reviews at all. This game is simply majestic. Excellent controls, fun combat system, marvellous graphics and an exquisite art direction. This game take an step further of the previous LOS giving a sense of freshness and grandeur that few games have.The City is simple gorgeous...a gothic magalithic modern dark metropolis that is really fun to explore and discover it's secrets. Then we have the traditional castle, where the series give loose exploit to its legacy. For me, it was like the first time I played Devil May Cry for the PS2. If I am not giving a 10 for this game is only for the few stealth sections (they are not so bad as the magazines describe them). Excelent game and fully recommended for those who loved the first LOS. DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE CRITICS REVIEWS, they arent objective at all. Expand
  69. Feb 28, 2014
    I would like to express my disapointment with all the "professional" reviews that gave this game such a low score, in my personal opinion Castlevania Lord of Shadow 2 lives up to all the promises that Mercurysteam mentioned months ago. The game itself is a grand conclusion to the Dracula storyline.

Gameplay wise you may find a few areas where it doesn't shine as brightly, for example the stealth parts , which are few and the only thing that you need is a little bit of patience, consider them the "puzzles" of the game.

I would like to thank Mercurysteam for creating such a beautiful game, and to all the other readers, please give LoS2 a chance, it won't disapoint you at all.
  70. Feb 28, 2014
    Something is seriously wrong with some reviewers these days. It seems they are looking for any reason to hate a game instead of being open minded to the good that a game offers.

This game is BETTER than the first one in almost every way--from the graphics to the combat and from the gameplay variety to the boss fights--nearly everything is better about this game. It also feels AMAZING

It also feels AMAZING to play. There isn't a single other hack and slash game that feels this good to play. The fluidity of the movement and controls is outstanding.

The visuals are simply some of the best of the PS3/360 generation, period. On PC it looks better than some of the so-called "next gen" games.

The soundtrack is another superb aspect of the game. Such excellent music throughout this game.

There is a little bit of filler in the game just like the first Lords of Shadow. You just get the feeling it could have been cut down and streamlined a bit. But many people will love the length and variety of the game.

I will try to write a more detailed review later when I have more time, but suffice it to say that this is an exceptional game that is being unfairly criticized by some hatemongers. Don't let those negative reviews turn you away from this outstanding game. The positive reviews and higher scores are spot on.
  71. Feb 28, 2014
    The fighting is great, as usual, but the minigames are just so horrible and the plot makes absolutely no sense. It's like the writers didn't know what to do, so they just used any random ideas that came to mind.

Minigames include running around being transformed like a rat, sneaking around unbeatable cloned robo-demons. Oh and there's (at least 2) "sneaking" parts, where you have to avoid a character who's chasing you (only to kill them 5 minutes later without breaking a sweat). The problem is that sneaking is retarded. It's nothing like MGS or The Last of Us. You have to take a path the developers intended, and no other, because if you do, you get instakilled. So, basically, I wasted 20 minutes of my life, finding the perfect path. Very very annoying.

I thought that, being Dracula and all, the plot will be darker. But instead, it's a lot stupider compared to the 1st game. At one point of the game, you have to waste about 3-4 hours to find pieces of a mirror, your son wants, fully knowing it's a dream. Not only that, but there's a minigame in which you have to place puppets onto a stage at the right moment. And after that, you fight a fat clown.

I mean, how hard is it to make a good game about Satan coming to Earth and his acolytes causing massive chaos? I cannot stress enough, how bad the plot is. So bad, even the good gameplay can't hold the game together.

Oh, and there's a bug. 2/3 of the game, I jump into a hole, and see I'm back at the beginning of the map practically. No prob, load checkpoint. And it gets me back to the location after I jumped into the hole. Amazing. No prob, I'll just backtrack. And, the switch doesn't work anymore. I'll probably have to replay the whole level to finish this.
  72. Feb 27, 2014
    This is a great game and recommended for all that loved the first LoS. There are a few instances of questionable game design, but overall it's a really great experience. My only complaint is that the game introduces a ton of mechanics early on and doesn't have you use it until you've forgotten what you've learned (bats used for distractions). I'm not sure why people don't like the modernThis is a great game and recommended for all that loved the first LoS. There are a few instances of questionable game design, but overall it's a really great experience. My only complaint is that the game introduces a ton of mechanics early on and doesn't have you use it until you've forgotten what you've learned (bats used for distractions). I'm not sure why people don't like the modern setting, it's very Gothic and a great realization of what modern Castlevania influenced architecture would look like.

The reason that most reviews are giving it a low score is because of the rendition of the Catholic God and Satan exist in the lore of the game, and the reviewers are offended by this, whether they don't believe in religion or it conflicts with what they believe. But it is a fictional world, so I don't see what the big deal is. It's a shame when a quality game like this discounted because of the reviewers inability to be open minded and respectful of other beliefs. It's a mockery of the game industry when you have a pile of crap game like Gone Home that gets 9's and PC game of the year, when it's not even a game but a interactive story about homosexuality. There is nothing in that game that makes you feel skilled or smart, and if story was about being straight, it wouldn't have gotten the scores it did. This proves that reviewers will let their personal beliefs skew their opinion of what makes a good game, like Castlevania LoS2.
  73. Feb 27, 2014
    Besides the stealth parts and some of the narration being too heavily focused on explaining the plot instead of advancing it, this is an amazing game. would highly recommend not giving a crap about all those negative critics.
  74. Feb 27, 2014
    **** reviewers and support MercurySteam. LoS2 is a wonderful game with an eye for detail. From the music to the menu everything is a sophisticated and man enjoying even click through the menu of the game. Thank MercutySteam.
  75. Feb 27, 2014
    Yet another example of the huge difference between the real quality of a game and paid professional reviewers. This is why I never go by critics and always go by the average users compiled opinions and ratings. This game is amazing - if you liked the first you will love it.
  76. Feb 27, 2014
    The gameplay, the story, the visuals, its the complete package. the metacritic score from critics will never justify this game. you need to go out there and get a copy for yourself. listen to the gamers not the paid critics this game is one glorious hell of a masterpiece. Even better than the first
  77. Feb 27, 2014
    Fantastic game. the reviews are so unfortunate because I felt like this one out-shined the original by leaps and bounds. Much more engrossing story and characters you actually start to care about. Dracula is such a deep character now and you actually feel for him and his situation as the game progresses. Gameplay could be more fluid but its a fantastic fight system regardless. ExcellentFantastic game. the reviews are so unfortunate because I felt like this one out-shined the original by leaps and bounds. Much more engrossing story and characters you actually start to care about. Dracula is such a deep character now and you actually feel for him and his situation as the game progresses. Gameplay could be more fluid but its a fantastic fight system regardless. Excellent sense of upgrades as well that only work to improve the experience Expand
  78. Feb 27, 2014
    This sequel surpass it's prequels by a large margin to me. The mist ability proved to be an excellent asset to become godlike in combat. Having the attacks passing trough you to then place yourself behind the enemy and unleash hell to him is just priceless.

The story has a few plot holes but is definitely competent and interesting. A surprise awaits you I would say. I was just disappointed by the ending, I thought it was kind rushed and the last boss didn't feel like a final boss at all to me.

The soundtrack is godlike in every way. it can get you completly pumped up during the fight or in awe while admiring the environments of the game.

Speaking of environment, the art direction is fantastic and completly diferente from the previous Lords of shadow, I would understand if people prefered the more colorfull and varied environment of the first LoS, but that doesn't mean this one is not varied or beautifull, to me it definitly conveyed that castlevania feels while beeing in the castle. As for the modern day? well, let's just say it is different, a bold move but not a bad one. The modern city of castlevania has it's soul and sometimes can feel like an even darker gotham city possessd by evil.
    Overall the art direction is fantástic and full of quality. This game a pure gem both art wise and architectuarlly speaking.

Mercury steam delivered and deserve to be placed amongst the best developers of this generation. I will definitly be looking forward their next IP.
  79. Feb 27, 2014
    I feel like a lot of the reviews that are being published for this game are too harsh or miss the point entirely of what Mercury Steam was trying to do. This game has by far the darkest tone out of the LOS trilogy and is a fitting close to what stands as a great trilogy of action games. Adding to that is the fact that these are in the Castlevania universe, which until LOS, had never had aI feel like a lot of the reviews that are being published for this game are too harsh or miss the point entirely of what Mercury Steam was trying to do. This game has by far the darkest tone out of the LOS trilogy and is a fitting close to what stands as a great trilogy of action games. Adding to that is the fact that these are in the Castlevania universe, which until LOS, had never had a proper 3D treatment. Great graphics, great music, great combat, what's not to love? I have a couple gripes with the camera not being fixed anymore (I enjoy the GOW style fixed camera to give scope to the impressively designed environments) but overall this game is made for fans of the first LOS. Highly recommended. Expand
  80. Feb 27, 2014
    Castlevania Lord of Shadow 2, un vídeo-juego muy esperado y que nos mostrara el final de la trilogía hecha por Mercurysteam, tratando de mejorar lo hecho ya en su primer trabajo en la Saga Castlevania.
    No he leído ningún análisis de ninguna Web, estas son mis primeras impresiones tras jugar 4 o 5 horas, la verdad se me fue rápido el tiempo por las ganas de ver el final y por la emoción que sentía, pero bueno al grano; Lord of Shadow 2 me a dejado con una sensación de estar jugados a dos títulos distintos en estas primeras horas ¿por que?

Entornos y gráficos: El juego tiene dos mundos donde podremos jugar con nuestro protagonista las cuales son: las alucinaciones o la edad media, el cual el entorno es un pueblo y el castillo de Dracula donde me sorprendí por el nivel artístico es sublime, gráficamente supera con creces su antecesor, con una posibilidad de exploración de principio a fin, eso si, algo que siempre caracteriza a la saga de Castlevania es que no podrás ingresar a cierta zona hasta no tener cierta habilidad así que siempre nos invita a re-visitar los lugares para poder encontrar los objetos de colección o algún secreto escondido en los rincones del castillo.
    Esta la otra cara de la moneda el cual es el entorno de la era moderna, donde el mundo no es tan espectacular, gráficamente se nota un poquito mas flojo y no llega a sorprender como en la edad media, con un nivel de exploración muy escaso.
    En lo personal lo que se refiere diseños de escenarios y variedad tras las primeras 4 o 5 horas comparando con su antecesor el LoS 1, se ve un poco mas limitado, solo superándolo en el nivel de exploración.

Jugabilidad: El momento de la acción el mejor punto del título, los movimientos de nuestro protagonista son muy fluidos al momento de correr saltar y al momento de combatir, en este apartado se nota lo mejorado que esta el juego, dando combates muy entretenidos, muy intuitivos, siendo realmente cómodo pelear contra un jefe final o cualquier enemigo, cuando llegas a tener mayor repertorio de armas se nota que todo sirve, que un combo o una habilidad especial sera de utilidad, con una variedad envidiable de combos, dando así un resultado genial, algo que Mercurysteam sabe hacer muy bien.
    Los momentos de la plataforma, no me gusta nada, los veo muy automatizado al momento de saltar de un candelabro a otro o de una tubería a otra, escalando con una facilidad extrema, sin dificultad alguna, siendo un apartado un poco mas flojo.
    En la era moderna cambia un poco la tónica, donde veremos unas fases de Sigilo, siendo muy curiosa y le da ese algo distinto al juego en el cual tendremos que evitar los enfrentamientos directos, con una posibilidad de transformarnos para no ser descubiertos por el enemigo y también distraerlos con nuestras magias oscuras, todo esto en entornos cerrados, esta fase siento que no fue lo mejor explotada de lo que debía y son ¡¡muchas!! fases de este tipo.
    El Menú, el libro donde mejoraremos nuestras armas, leeremos información de los personajes con un alto nivel artístico excelente en los dibujos con un nivel épico excelente, también veremos la lista de combos como dije de una cantidad impresionante.

PD: Aun en falta de ganar el juego me a dejado verdaderamente indiferente en estos primeros compases, donde puedo decir que esta superando en algunos aspectos a su antecesor, pero en otros deja algo que desear. Aún me falta por terminar el juego luego daré mis verdaderas impresiones sin hacer análisis de lo jugado. OJO el primer Lord of Shadow la primera vez me estuvo así, al no aceptar tanto cambio luego lo aceptaría con una alegría. La ¡¡NO!! inclusión en Lord of Shadow 2 de los Puzzles; no he encontrado ninguno y eso me tiene mal, porque para mi eso le daba una identidad ¡¡ÚNICA!! a este Lord of Shadow y me decepcionaría no encontrar estos en lo que me resta de juego.
  81. Feb 27, 2014
    I think I am playing a different game than the mainstream "game journalists". I loved LOS and this sequel is every bit as good. The combat mechanics are improved quite a bit and the new skill mastery system is great. Visually this game is an artistic masterpiece (PC version) and it oozes atmosphere. This is simply a great character action game with strong gameplay mechanics and some of theI think I am playing a different game than the mainstream "game journalists". I loved LOS and this sequel is every bit as good. The combat mechanics are improved quite a bit and the new skill mastery system is great. Visually this game is an artistic masterpiece (PC version) and it oozes atmosphere. This is simply a great character action game with strong gameplay mechanics and some of the most atmospheric art/design found in any game. I have lost what little faith I had in game "journalists". They seem unable to appreciate anything that isn't the latest brown, rehash from their ad-buying, corporate overlords at EA, Ubi and Activision. There's absolutely nothing mediocre about LOS2. Expand
  82. Feb 26, 2014
    Such an incredible game. Great story, amazing graphics, a very dark environment, and some pretty good music. The combat is far better than the first LoS and the upgrading is pretty neat as well. There are quite some cool bosses, although some can get a little frustrating. Probably, my most favorite thing about the game is its exploration, it's like a 3d Metroidvania. The environment isSuch an incredible game. Great story, amazing graphics, a very dark environment, and some pretty good music. The combat is far better than the first LoS and the upgrading is pretty neat as well. There are quite some cool bosses, although some can get a little frustrating. Probably, my most favorite thing about the game is its exploration, it's like a 3d Metroidvania. The environment is just beautiful, very well detailed. I really don't understand why this game got so low of scores, just because of the stealth. It isn't even that bad and they are pretty short, the professional critics just made them seem so game breaking even though they are not. Although, they might not be the greatest things, I did enjoy running around as rats for the heck of it lol. The only thing I could see why people would hate this game is if they just hate hack n slash games or are just classic Castlevania/SoTN fanatics who just don't like change. Expand
  83. Feb 26, 2014
    The users rating this as "positive" are obviously not fans of the ORIGINAL Castlevania series, because this trash has nothing to do with that beloved Dracula hunting (mostly 2D) franchise. Stealth, endless interruption in the form of hints, **** music, drivel story line with B/S fan lip service, and many other annoyances doom this game. Do not buy if you do not want to feel like you wastedThe users rating this as "positive" are obviously not fans of the ORIGINAL Castlevania series, because this trash has nothing to do with that beloved Dracula hunting (mostly 2D) franchise. Stealth, endless interruption in the form of hints, **** music, drivel story line with B/S fan lip service, and many other annoyances doom this game. Do not buy if you do not want to feel like you wasted your money. Greedy heads of present day Konami simply slapped a popular name while attempting to make this game a mix and match of popular and contemporary Action/Adventure games. May Castlevania R.I.P. and MercurySteam burn in hell. Expand
  84. Feb 26, 2014
    The best and most ambitious action-adventure that I've played in a long time. Snappy controls, engaging boss fights, an exciting story, and fantastic performances by the voice over cast come together to make this one of my favourite games of 2014 thus far.

If I have maybe one small complaint, it's that the plot and gameplay seem to have share quite a bit in common with 2013's DMC: Devil May Cry. In any case, I really like this game and I'm very glad I picked it up. It does feel different from traditional Castlevania games, but if chances were never taken with the series, we would have never gotten the Metroid-Vania format that so many Castlevania fans love.
  85. Feb 26, 2014
    Surprise everyone! The usual hating on a 3D Castlevania. So my score is more like 9.5 then a 10. LOS2 is a great entry to the Castlevania series. While a LOT of sites would have you believe that Los 2 is a monstrosity it's actually very far from it. Los 2 changes things up a bit from the first Los. It's tone is dark from the get go and takes place in a modern day city and a castle thatSurprise everyone! The usual hating on a 3D Castlevania. So my score is more like 9.5 then a 10. LOS2 is a great entry to the Castlevania series. While a LOT of sites would have you believe that Los 2 is a monstrosity it's actually very far from it. Los 2 changes things up a bit from the first Los. It's tone is dark from the get go and takes place in a modern day city and a castle that captures the aesthetic of the 2D castlevanias of old. The combat system is tighter and more enjoyable then the previous entry. The art direction and musical score looks and sounds great. It's visually impressive although suffers from some texture issues on occasion. Now no game is perfect....there is no such thing. So there are a few things that could have been better. First of the stealth portions during some of the game sometimes takes you out of that feel. Also some enemy designs feel bland. The game also starts off slow after the initial opening stage. Overall the Lords of shadow saga captures the spirit of castlevania the way so many 2D and 3D entries failed to do. After playing this game with a great deal of skepticism I have found that it is a great experience, and you should not let this latest entry pass you buy simply because some big name sites did not find it to there individual liking. Expand
  86. Feb 26, 2014
    I loved every minute of LoS 2 yet it wasn't as great as it's predecessor #2 had all the large scale boss battle and crazy combos that drew me to the series in the first place yet the second one just wasn't as memorable as the first. For starters the graphics could definitely have used work and i could have done without many of the modern day missions, when i was playing modern day itI loved every minute of LoS 2 yet it wasn't as great as it's predecessor #2 had all the large scale boss battle and crazy combos that drew me to the series in the first place yet the second one just wasn't as memorable as the first. For starters the graphics could definitely have used work and i could have done without many of the modern day missions, when i was playing modern day it stopped feeling like castlevanina and started to feel like Arkham city, not thats a bad thing but if i wanted to play batman i would have. Expand
  87. Feb 26, 2014
    i have 7 hour of gameplay, and the only thig i see is epicness, i dont know how this game has a poor score review, but this game is enjoyable and fun to play, i was expecting the **** that the critics say anout this game but im not
  88. Feb 26, 2014
    I really loved the game, the only reason I'm giving it a 9.0 it's the rat portions. All the bosses are cool, and yeah, The ending could've been better. But,still a amazing game!
    Thanks Mercury Steam to bring this masterpiece for fans of the old castlevania.
    Listen to me, if you are a real fan, you will like it. '' I am no longer Gabriel woman! I am the Dragon, Dracul, I am the prince of
    Thanks Mercury Steam to bring this masterpiece for fans of the old castlevania.
    Listen to me, if you are a real fan, you will like it.
    '' I am no longer Gabriel woman! I am the Dragon, Dracul, I am the prince of darkness! I am, and will be forever a thorn in HIS side! That is my vengeance! '' - Dracula
  89. Feb 26, 2014
    Incredible game, using the Castelvania name in honor.
    The story is really good with Dracula as protagonist and cool characters surrounding him.
    Amazing soundtrack and graphics plus an improved gameplay makes this game a must play.
    Ought to buy to support the developers. Don't know what the "game critics" were mass smoking, don't listen to them.
  90. Feb 26, 2014
    Having really enjoyed the first LOS for its grand environments, dark story telling and killer action, I picked up LOS2 with solid expectations. I was not let down. The PS3 handles the graphic great, justifying the choice to hold in on "current console" imo.

If anything, LOS2 is darker and more brutal then LOS1. The action is much more clean, better camera and I love the Void Sword/Mastery System. Reminds me of a Final Fantasy skill tree in a good way. The critics who complain about stealth honestly have no idea what they are doing or are super bias. You spend maybe 10 minutes at a time in stealth for the most part makes perfect sense from Bram Stoker lore (Rat, wolf, mist, bat). Boss battles are visually gratifying and very exciting to play.

My only minor complaints: some areas are empty where I could be stabbing something. Not enough world/ normal Enemy diversity. The Castle and City are very cool and very deep, but we did see a lot of really cool worlds in LOS1.

Over all the paid critics have it wrong and sound like they are from a different era in gaming (obsessed with Castlevania GB or NES) or so stab happy that they cannot take a breath an enjoy a couple minutes as a dirty rat. The Fans and gamers have it right. LOS2 9/10 fun (and morbid) game and great sequel to end LOS
  91. Feb 26, 2014
    Despite the reviews given by Metacritic, I disagree. I found the story of Gabriel's journey as Dracula to be a compelling and dramatic story, with excellent cgi moments, as well as powerful foes to be creative with. Now, while I do wish there had been more development on Dracula's part, outside of what we had seen between himself and his family, I did enjoy this game immensely (even if theDespite the reviews given by Metacritic, I disagree. I found the story of Gabriel's journey as Dracula to be a compelling and dramatic story, with excellent cgi moments, as well as powerful foes to be creative with. Now, while I do wish there had been more development on Dracula's part, outside of what we had seen between himself and his family, I did enjoy this game immensely (even if the ending was silently lacking in power of feel). I recommend this game to any gamer who wants to be a hardcore vampire! Expand
  92. Feb 26, 2014
    Anyone reading these reviews be wary - a lot of them seem to be fake positive reviews (you can see if you look at how many reviews these individuals have submitted - there are many brand new accounts that have only reviewed this as a 10 - for that to happen within a day of release seems deeply suspect).

That being said, I want to voice my opinion having just finished the game. In

That being said, I want to voice my opinion having just finished the game. In particular, I want to voice it in the context of a lot of the critical reviews you've likely read.

Stealth: All the critics have cited this as the games major flaw. Let me be clear, the stealth is mediocre at best. But, it does not account for more than 10% of the game (at most, probably more like 5%). So my broader point is it's just not that big a deal. I agree it wasn't done well, but it's an afterthought in the game, not a core mechanic. People have cited one sequence as particularly awful (it involves a maze) - conversely I found it a novel concept, not super well executed, but still easy enough that it took me ~5 attempts over the course of 15 minutes. Hardly "game breaking" as one reviewer argued.
    Environments: Again, I think 70% of the game takes place in classic Castlevania environs - the ones we all know and love. All the reviews I read are complaining about too much action in sewers and office buildings - I don't think this is more than 15% of the game? At most? And yes, more could have been done with the opportunity to modernize the Castlevania environs but again this is something I read in critical reviews as being awful and it seemed a blip on the radar to me.

With that being said, the game feels very much feels like a continuation of LoS1. If you liked the first one, this is more of the same. The world is not as open as we were led to believe leading up to release which is a shame but not too big a loss. The actual combat is good, the enemies are creative, the scenery is gorgeous and the story is appropriate for a Castlevania game - that is to say, if you like Castlevania stories, this will work well. I think it is pretty strong relative to nearly every other entry in the series. It's not a perfect game - I'd rank it the exact same as LoS1 - so if you liked that you're probably going to like this.
  93. Feb 26, 2014
    This game is amazing, I absolutely loved as well as 1, so if you played the first and liked to play the 2 for sure is epic, not ball to these analyzes of those sites that are bought ^ ^. Gorgeous graphics, incredible bosses, story of breathtaking, makes this is a great game ^ ^ 10
  94. Feb 26, 2014
    I will really like to disagree with all the review sites that are bashing this game, I'm sure they had to rush through it to release their review, but so far I'm 2 hours into the game and I love it, the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is fluid and fun, the atmosphere is gorgeous. This is really a good game love it.
  95. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game it has definitely improved upon LOS1 beside the fact that it does have some slow stealth parts, it has rewarding skill trees and very high quality boss battles,also lets not forget the gorgeous graphics
  96. Feb 26, 2014
    We are all entitled to our own opinion but I don't know how this only got a 6.5 score. I played this game for 7 hours yesterday and I can safely say it is a 8.5/10 easily. Do not listen to this critic and go out and buy this game. Everything about it is over the top and for true Castlevania fans this is the game we were all waiting for. From the graphics, to the boss fights (which are someWe are all entitled to our own opinion but I don't know how this only got a 6.5 score. I played this game for 7 hours yesterday and I can safely say it is a 8.5/10 easily. Do not listen to this critic and go out and buy this game. Everything about it is over the top and for true Castlevania fans this is the game we were all waiting for. From the graphics, to the boss fights (which are some of the best I have seen), to the simple game play with awesome combos and upgrades this game has it all. The open world concept is a welcomed addition to this series and makes it fun to search for all the hidden items. This game is Uncharted, Batman, and God of War all mixed into one and what is best of all....you play as Dracula! Expand
  97. Feb 26, 2014
    If you like Castlevania you love it. Even people who aren't Castlevania fans will like it. The combat is solid. The different weapons and skills a very interesting. The setting is beautiful. The story fills in a lot of history for those new to the series.
  98. Feb 26, 2014
    Having loved the first game I was eagerly anticipation the second, however my expectations became muted when I saw the early exception. Let it be know that I ended up loving the game and am glad I got it despite it's low critical reception. The game play is polished, the story is engaging (and very macabre), and the environment is varied and detailed. There has been much talk of the ratHaving loved the first game I was eagerly anticipation the second, however my expectations became muted when I saw the early exception. Let it be know that I ended up loving the game and am glad I got it despite it's low critical reception. The game play is polished, the story is engaging (and very macabre), and the environment is varied and detailed. There has been much talk of the rat stealth sections yet they are really just small interspersed segments, hardly worth the fuss they are receiving. I would recommend this to any castlevania fan, and really and action game fan in general. Expand
  99. Feb 26, 2014
    Don't let be fooled by the stupid so-called "video game media". Lords of shadow was one of the best title of "last gen" and Lords of shadow 2 is an awesome sequel. Mercurysteam sure took their sweet time releasing their baby, but it was well worth the wait. Their is a passion in that game that is non-existent in most productions these days. When rushed yearly sequels become our dailyDon't let be fooled by the stupid so-called "video game media". Lords of shadow was one of the best title of "last gen" and Lords of shadow 2 is an awesome sequel. Mercurysteam sure took their sweet time releasing their baby, but it was well worth the wait. Their is a passion in that game that is non-existent in most productions these days. When rushed yearly sequels become our daily braid. To have a non-buggy game with no f***** day one patch is a breath of fresh air. Everything from the graphics to the gameplay has been polished to high quality level. Playing has Dracula feels badass as it should and the already great combat mechanics has been fine-tuned to make it even more awesome. The art direction and execution is so impressive for a time I thought I was playing on my ps4. Do yourself a favor and discover one of the best series of last gen. Expand
  100. Feb 26, 2014
    The first 2 hours are a bit of a handholdy and linear affair, also its very light on the story for the first few hours of the game, but once the game gets rolling its easily on par with LoS1 if not better, the acting is great the boss fights are amazing and the combat feels more fluid than LoS1, the story starts to pick up later on and fans of castlevania will like the take on alucard,The first 2 hours are a bit of a handholdy and linear affair, also its very light on the story for the first few hours of the game, but once the game gets rolling its easily on par with LoS1 if not better, the acting is great the boss fights are amazing and the combat feels more fluid than LoS1, the story starts to pick up later on and fans of castlevania will like the take on alucard, simon, and trevor belmont

The dreaded stealth sections are not nearly as bad as the reviewers make it out to be, with some extremely basic logic can get you through most of them in a few minutes, something the mainstream reviewers seem to be sorely lacking (one of them claimed to take 4 hours to beat one of the stealth missions /facepalm....no its not that bad )

I honestly found the stealth sections required to break up some of the monotony of the combat, overall this is a really good sequal and hope mercury continues to make CV games, they are one of the few devs that can make competent reboots, a world of garbage like DMC reboot and FF13-29 lightning just doesnt die edition thats a very good quality to have
  101. Feb 25, 2014
    Such a tremendous game .Amazing graphics for a little company like Mercury Steam,such a great story with lots of twists,such a dark and murky environment ideal for the actions of the mighty Dracula.Cool bosses with noticeably details and voracious combat with challenges.I liked this game because they made a sequel different from the other castlevania games and this sometimes is a way toSuch a tremendous game .Amazing graphics for a little company like Mercury Steam,such a great story with lots of twists,such a dark and murky environment ideal for the actions of the mighty Dracula.Cool bosses with noticeably details and voracious combat with challenges.I liked this game because they made a sequel different from the other castlevania games and this sometimes is a way to kill monotony in the series of a game.If you dont like it's just your pathetic taste,go support your COD games like always and let us enjoy these marvels! Collapse

1. Apr 18, 2014
    Konami's newest Castlevania sequel is marred by repetitive gameplay, terrible stealth missions and an uninteresting story that overstays its welcome
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a must play game on the PlayStation 3 that really draws you in from the start to give you a spectacular journey of good versus evil in this beautifully presented sequel.
  3. Mar 21, 2014
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 mixes elements from popular games without really understanding how the pieces must be assembled. The result is a tedious and sloppy game that most feels like something that the developer Mercury Team wanted to get over with. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 lacks even the ambitious driven from its predecessor. It's not a bad game, but not worth playing.