8.0

1. Oct 6, 2010
    I'm not sure where people get off saying it's a crappy God of War clone, when God of War itself mimicked Rygar, Shadow Of The Colossus, Shenmue and however many other games. God of War didn't have a single idea to call its own, either, it just brought a little of this and a little of that to the "casual" gamers...

So it's no surprise that people are writing this off as a clone because
    it's obvious those casual gamers don't know "what a Castlevania is". They think it started at Symphony Of The Night. Well, being a Castlevania fan from the NES days, I can say that if anything, this is somewhat of a 3D Simon's Quest, and I say that mostly based on the locales you visit (and revisit when you have a new item, as SQ did). And just as in SQ, you don't reach a castle until well, WELL into the game. Other than that, I don't get where people say this isn't Castlevania - playing as a whip-toting Belmont against the forces of darkness kinda goes hand in hand with Castlevania, and this is no different. This is a fantastic game with a length that is generally unheard of for a game of its genre. Definitely an incredible game and a great purchase. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    First and foremost this is Castlevania. Are you a fan of Castlevania games? If you are, you will really like this game. If you have not played a castlevania game before then consider this a beautiful gothic-dark fantasy 3rd person action adventure game with vampires and werewolves that you will probably like a lot. This is very far from a generic god of war clone as some will say.
    From a
    castlevania fan's point of view this is an amazing game. The visuals are amazing. The characters models and the environment are full of detail, the scenery is always something to stare at and the special effects are colorful and vibrant as they should. There is a huge variety of environments so nothing seems as if you've seen it before. The sound is crystal with an awesome orchestrical soundtrack (typical castlevania quality) and the voice-overs featuring Patrick Stewart and Robert Carlyle speak for themselves. The gameplay is excellent. It combines fighting, platforming, puzzle-solving together and it's varied enough that never bores. The fighting itself is deep and rewarding. No more mindless button mashing. The game is very immersive and features a beautiful story. Another big plus for this game is its length. I don't remember the last time I played a 3rd person action game that lasted up to 20 hours for a single playthrough.
    Quite honestly I don't understand what people want in a game any more. This is a beautiful game apparently made with love and care (cheesy but true) and every attention to detail as possible from people who really like the original castlevania games. Yet you will see reviews talking about how it doesn't feel like a castlevania game (not true IMHO) or how it borrows elements from other games.
    This is value for money and a lot of fun, highly recommended.
  3. Oct 5, 2010
    This elegant entry to the Castlevania book returns to the roots of old school Castlevania by breaking the game up into action-packed stages, allowing the player to return to a given point in the game at any time and complete one of the games many trials and challenges or for the really really early levels, relearn a practical technique necessary for defeating an enemy, not that the games journal itself doesn't do a great job of animating or reiterating a technique point in the game.

Graphics and sound most certainly both receive 10 's; the game's jaw-dropping visuals and epic effects combined with the game's poignant musical score create an intense climate for defiling demons, vampires, and lycanthropes alike.

Without going into too much detail, the games story rightfully receives a 10. You are not one of the clandestine Belmont clan by birth, but by choice of namesake, as names in old times were chosen/given. Although more a side-note than a main point, Patrick Stewart's constant narration of the game doesn't EVER get dull, droll, or boring. Ever.

Controls have to receive an 8; The controls are the same thing we've all done before with other Action genre games like God of War, Dante's Inferno, and even Darksiders. There are a few elements that make the game unique, but otherwise, they weren't trying to reinvent the wheel when they thought of how Gabriel would forcefully thrust his cross into the skull of a warg, forcefully dropping it to the ground.

Overall, this game is good. Nay, I may even say great. INCRE-I know, I'm pushing it. But really, action gamers, castlevania fans, and console owners alike will enjoy this beautiful entry into the Castlevania series. TLDR: Like God of War? Dante's Inferno? Tearing things apart? Buy it, now. You'll enjoy it, I promise.
  4. Oct 5, 2010
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a game which takes you in an amazing adventure, over 20+ hours, taking some elements from great franchises such as Shadow of the Colosus, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.

But the most important fact that you can expect from this Castlevania is that reminds you one hundred percent at the old school games that make this saga be one of the most popular
    franchises. Starting from Castlevania roots, the classic series, this masterpiece its a must have. Castlevania Lords of Shadow is without doubt, one of the best games this year. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2010
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow reminds you at original essence of Castlevanias, at the old school games that make this saga be one of the most popular franchises... After getting it and having played it for several hours I have to say that I am very pleased with my purchase.
  6. Oct 6, 2010
    Don't need a review. It's amazing. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING. Die IGNorants
  7. Oct 10, 2010
    First off, you won't find a better looking game anywhere. The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a long while and are comparable to anything out there right now. The fighting style is top notch and will have you playing and replaying levels just so you can try and complete a certain trial. It's not a typical Castlevania game but that is a good thing here. It's time for the series to evolve and this is a great first step. The enemies are just right for this type of game and it's more than a "Hack and Slash" it's a game that will actually make you stop and think of what the best way to make it through each level is.

Old school Castlevania fans and purists might balk at the game play but for those looking for a change of pace but still keeping with the Castlevania mythologies you won't be disappointed if you play this game.
  8. Oct 11, 2010
    It must be stated this genre isnt for everyone. If you hate button mashers that could potentialy cause sore digits through pure button mashing mayhem then this game you should give a wide birth. I hate first person shooters, they last about 4 hours in a single player campaign and to me that is a complete waste of money. games like call of duty and whatnot. I also dislike fighting games like streetfighter where after about 10 minutes its just a huge repeat snorefest. Thats me though, others may think their the best things since sliced bread.
    Ok now that that is over this game is awesome, i love this genre- gow series gives me palputations, and even the dante's inferno, although not of the same calibure is still thoroughly enjoyable. Even conan which was a poor poor mans gow i liked even through its many flaws

gow fans will thoroughly enjoy this one, im a huge kratos fan but i have to say that gabriel is certainly a new contender on the block. No its not original, it has more of a platformy feel than gow- a love child as the result of a gangbang that involved of gow, prince of persia and uncharted. die hard fans of this franchise may gripe about continuity or story - i wouldnt know as ive never played any prior but heres what i think...............
    The graphics arent on par with gow, close, the scenery is very beatiful but the models arent nearly as polished, more puzzles though, which is awesome, i like a little challenge or two thrown in where you have to use that brain, between the button mashing mutilation. The light/dark magic combo and implammentation and refined qte events is where castelvania pulls out of gow's shadow, if ever so slightly in an attempt to take this genre in a new direction and it does work, its fresh. the qte events are simplified- any button will do but theres still a timer, and i do think it works better than gow's. gow is undoubtanbly awesome but there was so much more that could have been added to it to tie up loose ends, where was acchilies, ajax and the last gorgon sister, and apollo and the other titans? they could have added much needed dlc to perfect the game., especially as it was supposed to be the finale.

Castelvania surpasses gow in terms of content and the ability to revisit earlier levels and castelvania has room to expand now upon a sequel, it has its little gliches, the occaisonal freeze, or occaisonal issue where gabriel might get temporarily stuck and theres loading times which gow 3 nipped in the budd but the story i really got roped into- a nice twist on the usual mythos about creatures that go bomp in the night, yes it's borrowed allot from gow but gow borrowed stuff from dantes inferno and shadow of the collosus- gow done for this genre what wow did for mmo's, these titles werent original themselves but created a mould or benchmark for what works and what doesnt in a certain genre and castelvania shouldnt be chastised for using a formula that works and from what i can see the little innovations they have made have worked

all in all i'd say i give this a 9 a superb game gow 3 should have been this long, especially as it was the end of gow3. Cant wait for dlc and the next castelvania game
  9. Oct 5, 2010
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a beautiful game, is varied and long. Shadow Lords have a special magic, and it is a real Castlevania, but with an open mind and not to prejudice. Totally recommended for fans of vampires.
  10. Oct 5, 2010
    This is a gorgeous game visually. The landscapes are breath taking. The gameplay is extremely fun and takes thought in carrying out the combat. The game reminds me a lot of God of War in relation to gameplay. I've been a fan of the castlevania series since the release of super castlevania 4. This game has a lot of the themes found in prior games but is itself completely unlike the older games, I higly recommend the game to castlevania fans and those new to the series. Expand
  11. Oct 6, 2010
    Lord of Shadow if not Original, itâ
  12. Oct 8, 2010
    Castlevania come back. This is the best game of 2010. Music, graphics, story, duration . . . I need now the second part,I see that they are able to. Thanks Mecury Steam.
  13. Oct 8, 2010
    MercurySteam has crafted a beautiful game which shines with it's own light, varied, long and challenging, Lords of Shadow is everything you would want from an Action Adventure game and then some, It's not a metroidvania, but for all intents and purposes it's a damn good Castlevania game.
  14. Oct 9, 2010
    This is actually the only competent non 2-D entry for the Castlevania franchise. It's reminiscent of God of War and Dante's Inferno with it's beautifully rendered quick time events and action game play. The smooth animations and solid pacing make play sessions enjoyable and not tedious like other games in the genre. In contrast to the hand-held entries this adventure takes itself seriously and is influenced more by dark fantasy than anime. Expand
  15. Oct 9, 2010
    This game its amazing, gorgeous and well balanced. I am in love with the history and the characters. A great addition for my collection. One of the best of the year.
  16. Oct 18, 2010
    Wow, great game so far. I am in the 8th chapter out of 12 and about 12 hours in. It's awesome. Yes, it uses a lot of the action adventure genre gameplay tactics, but that is what makes it wonderful. Who doesn't want a game like God of War or Devil May Cry transposed into the world of Transylvania?! Pick this game up. The boss battles are epic and so is the vast world. It is definetly worth the money!!!! Expand
  17. Oct 13, 2010
    Great Game, don't sleep....I give this game a stiff 9. Likes-Combat, IMO better than GOW(and I love GOW), several boss and mini boss battles, beautiful looking game. The only true negative would be sometimes the camera messes me up. Also, people that are pissed that this is not a true Castlevania are clowns.
  18. Jun 28, 2011
    As a God of War fanboy, I don't understand why people are trolling this game for being a 'clone', that's total bulls**t. Games should be judged on their own merits, one day (if not already) everything possible creatively in a game would already have been done, so should everything released afterwards be considered an 'unoriginal clone', NO! If somethings good then it's good regardless of it's inspirations or originality. This game was brilliant. 9.5/10. Expand
  19. Oct 14, 2010
    had this game since release and i have got to say how amazing it is. I was unsure wuether to get this or enslaved. But im happy at my final decision. The graphics are incredible and the character design is very imaginitive and overy other level the lesser monsters change. Thus keeping the gake intresting and also cause the player to mix up and experiment with the very expansive move list. Although a fairly linear game there are a few levels which cause you to have to explore to find a key or something but thats as free roaming as it gets. I for one like the level design though. There is always something intresting to look at and the game throughs in fight scenes frequantly, but instead of the game feeling slightly arena based(god of war im looking at you) the enemies appear frequentaly whether it is a hall. Open area or any where else. The story is great and the voice acting includes an A list class. The game is about 15-20 hours long according to reviews, and although i havent finished ive set back 10 hours and im only on the 5th chapter. Go pick this game up if you want a game that excels in singleplayer capaign rather then just throughing your cash away on another run of the mills shooter. The only problem for me is that the set camera can be a little awkward at times and there are a few framerate issues it desrves a 9.5 but i cant give it that by this scoring system and no game desrves 10 as no game is perfect. Although this is as close as you are going to get to perfect as you can. Highly recommended Expand
  20. Oct 11, 2010
    The tight combat mechanics shine through the detailed and involving story. The platforming elements are well constructed and really serve to compliment the pace of the game, providing an entertaining diversion that allows the player to gather themself for the next onslaught of enemies. Having mentioned the enemies they are diverse in both fighting style and character model. Consisting of the lycans you would expect in a Castlevania title as well as goblins and the quintessential giant spider plus numerous others to be discovered. The Lords of Shadow near Halloween release is perfect for those looking to battle the creatures of the night to capture the spirit of the ghoul season. As someone who has enjoyed Castlevania games since the days of the 8 bit adventure, I highly recommend this game for those looking to enjoy this franchise reimagined in a very respectful and consistent recreation.Also for anyone seeking a magical adventure game you will happily find it here. Expand
  21. Oct 14, 2010
    This is not only a great game, but arguably one of the best ever for your money. I'm in chapter 10 and have been quite surprised at just how good this game is. The only downfalls in this game is the unnecessary backtracking options and the ease of some of the boss battles. Although this game isn't as pretty as GOW3, the graphics throughout are more consistent with the same attention to detail being out onto each character. This game constantly evolves with new creatures as it gies along. The Onion A.V, GamePro, and anybody else that gave thus game below an 8.5 needs to get a life. Expand
  22. Oct 13, 2010
    I've been playing Castlevania games since the series first released in 1987 and this is truly a 21st century update to the classic game, well deserving of the Castlevania title. The game is true to the spirit of the classic Castlevania games in a number of ways: the linear level design, combat mechanics, rpg elements (improving weapons/skills), narrative design, and boss battles. The game takes these classic elements and infuses them with the gameplay/narrative developments of the last ten years or so and brings them into the era of HD gaming. It borrows no more from any game more than GOW, Uncharted, or other games have borrowed and improved upon the elements of other games.

The graphics are stunning; the settings are epic; and the scope/scale of the game is grand. The game also develops further upon the supernatural elements of earlier Castlevania games by adding a mythological element that makes the game's world feel ancient and lively. The influence of Kojima production team on the game's environments and story are obvious and the results are nothing short of breathtaking.

There are very minor issues with the camera but nothing that detracts from the playing experience in a significant way. Some of the puzzles can be a bit difficult to solve, but, again, this is also true to the classic Castlevania formula where trial & error, a little thought, and some perseverance are required. This is a gamer's game and it harkens back to the classic era of console gaming when everything wasn't handed to you and you needed a little ingenuity and skill to succeed. But when you do succeed, it is extremely rewarding.

If you love Castlevania (and I have been waiting for a 3D Castlevania game worth playing for a long, long time) and you love video games, I do not think you will be disappointed. Those who say the game does not feel like Castlevania are either woefully unfamiliar with the series' legacy or unwilling to opent themselves to experience a new generation of Castlevania. The game is part re-invention and part revitalization of the classic series. One of the most gripping, engaging gaming experiences out there right now - and I've played console games as far back as the Atari 2600.

It's good to finally see Castlevania reborn for a new generation of gamers and old schoolers. Highly recommended.
  23. Oct 14, 2010
    Es un gran juego, graficos de lo mejor que hay hoy en día, una banda sonora epica y un gran doblaje, aunque lastima que no este en castellano.También es muy largo y aun después quedan retos por cumplir. Tal vez debería tener más combos para que el combate tuviera más opciones, pero espero que los fallos que tiene los solucionen cuando saquen su secuela. Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2010
    When i first started playing this game i had mixed feelings. The atmosphere and game play didn't feel appropriate for the title and i was bored at the lack of story progress throughout the first couple of chapters. I was tempted to sell the game to a pawn shop the next day but given there were over 10 total chapters to play through, i figured i'd give it the benefit of the doubt and continue on. I was not disappointed. Although the game was not at all what i expected, i still feel my expectations were far exceeded. What i got was a game rich in environments and details (and a superb score), boss fights that were complex but not convoluted, and puzzles that were challenging but not strenuous. The game play is similar to God of War, but there are numerous differences in control set up, some for better and some for worse. For instance, the ability to dodge AND block is bound to L2 where in GoW it was the right joystick and fleece blocking was on L1 to prevent accidental dodging or blocking when the opposite action was intended. So there would be times in LoS when i would find myself accidentally rolling out of the way of an enemy when what i had intended to do was block in order to raise my focus meter. The same thing would happen occasionally when i would attempt a somersault. LoS improved on the ability to sprint that i strongly disliked with the Hermes boots (which i rarely used) in GoW. Instead of needing to use a button combination to activate and use the joystick to maneuver, once you obtain the boot relics in LoS you need only to double tap the left joystick to activate your sprint. The icarus wings are present in LoS as well but sadly the ability to dodge mid air is not. I did not like the combo move book at all in this game. There were very few combinations i was able to utilize successfully as they were tedious to combine with dodge and blocking (which due to the poorly assigned binds was difficult on its own to separate). I found most often i utilized small bursts of hits followed by a rolling dodge or somersault. Most often when a combo is started the enemy will throw an attack at you which must either be dodged or blocked depending on the strength of the attack. This made long combinations almost useless unless the enemy was dazed since they would need to be broken midway through. There are a few abilities that at face value seem redundant and useless, but in several places in game become very useful. As previous reviewer EBgeer pointed out, the scorpion fight was annoying when attempting to activate the button when he went under the tesla coil. I too was using the landslide punch to try and activate the button and i was having my angle redirected when Gabriel was focusing on the scorpion midway through. A quick glance at my combo manual reminded me that i could use earthquake punch (hold L2 and press triangle) instead and save myself the headache. :P

I appreciated that Castlevania relied less on the usage of multiple weapons, as i felt it redundant and cumbersome in GoW to weapon swap in the middle of important boss fights when focusing on enemy position and maneuvering were crucial. In LoS, you can spend less time needing to determine which weapon is the best for specific encounters and powering that weapon up and instead focus on becoming proficient with dodging and blocking enemy attacks (which is more important in this game than it was in GoW) and exploiting specific boss weaknesses. Ironically, the storyline, which almost turned me off from the game ended up being the most interesting aspect of the entire experience. There is a great twist at the end followed by a tantalizing epilogue that fans of the franchise won't want to miss.

All in all, LoS ended up being a very worthwhile addition to my game collection and one that i am definitely going to spend time on, completing trials and unlocking achievements. I would definitely recommend this to any person out there, fan of the franchise or not.
  25. Oct 17, 2010
    This game takes elements from The God of War series, Shadow of the Colossus, and other adventure games and does a good job of recasting them into the world of Castlevania. It's beautiful, challenging, and addictive. A great game that will no doubt go overlooked by many because of poor previous attempts to create a 3D game. Don't miss it because it borrows a few things from other games.
  26. Oct 18, 2010
    This game has the most lush, detailed, and top of the line graphics I think I have ever seen, combined with a beautiful art style and awesome special effects. Almost every level has a new twist - keeping the game play constantly fresh. Levels are branching and non-linear with lot of hidden areas, just overall very well designed. The puzzles seem a little on the easy side, but there's always a scroll nearby to solve the puzzle for you if you're stuck. There are a lot of mysteries hidden throughout, but helpful tool tips and scrolls help to keep you in the right direction. The combat system is perfect - it favors technique over button mashing. The game does have a bit of frustration, you may want to play it on the easiest setting to avoid some difficult battles. Personally, I don't really care about whether the game is faithful to its CV franchise, I think this game re-invents it with new identity despite previous failures in the franchise. This game takes ideas from other games but combines them into an amazing unique experience. Taking other ideas and making them your own is called design and is found in every aspect of media. I really hope that we'll see some sequels despite some reviews that aren't doing this game justice. Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    This is bar far one of the greatest titles I've played this gen, and it's a beautiful lung of fresh summer valley air from the masses of shooters this gen. For one i would like to say I've never been all that into Castlevania so as a Castlevania title i don't know how it compares, but haven't had this much fun for years. The design is beautiful and very Guillermo del Toro(hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth) in terms of design, with great Gothic structures, but bright and sunny. the atmosphere is very imerssive and creates a great feel of depth and history to the environments. The combat is where the bread and butter is, the move list expands greatly throughout the game becoming a huge library of moves that can be pulled off with great fluid succession with great power and satisfaction, picture Ninja gaiden combat with god of war feel of power. Many people are saying it borrows/rips off games like GOW3, and Shadow of the Colossus but i don't understand how this is a bad thing, i mean they what made those games great and made it into something of their own that feels completely different. This game would've gotten a 10/10 from me but they gave you a very interesting story and very little narrative. it just feels like they could use more/longer cutscenes as the ones they have are very short and don't tell much of the story. But overall if your looking for a great non-shooter game with good story, excellent combat, great design, pretty graphics, beautiful set pieces, fun yet challenging platforming and puzzles with exploration and replay value then Castlevania LOS is your game. Expand
  28. Oct 23, 2010
    Very good. This game compares to the more linear, level based type of Castlevania and stacks up well in that category. I hope that the sequel opens the game up a little more like Simon's Quest or Symphony of the Night. That said this game is better than all recent action games because of its art direction and intriguing story.
  29. Oct 26, 2010
    I have never signed up on a website to write a review but i would be an was in clined to do so today because castlevania os am epic title and some major websites have misjudged the game Not that i am doubting there expertise but i have been playing videogames for 20 years and am 25 years old and castlevania is a standout title. pros : Epic amd grandiose in everything it tries, everything is polished to perfection , the story is great , immaculate artistic feel to the graphics , the game is deep and involving and the GAMEPLAY is refined !

im a picky gamer u ll see the cons but with that in mind i give this game a 9.4
    cons: the game not only is a heavy borrower it borrows some things that are just too specific to there own title for example it borrows some bits from shadow of the colossus (one of my top 5 games to date ) u cant borrow from a game so unique , Also the lead charachter whom i like alot looks to much like aragon from lotr and the gameplay could have used a little bit more originality,

apart from the nitpicking TRUST ME AND AT LEAST RENT IT .
    I BELEIVE ITS BETTER THAN 95 percent of games in this genre !!!
  30. Oct 28, 2010
    As a long time fan of Castlevania since it's original debut on the NES many years ago, I am simultaneously torn and excited by this most recent release. It's the first Castlevania in 3D that I've actually enjoyed and thought worthy to carry the Castlevania name. In many ways I was hesitant about this release simply because it is such a significant departure from what makes Castlevania...well, Castlevania! However, after playing through the entire game I can say without hesitation that it does indeed live up to the standard of the originals on many levels (and surpasses them in a few).

Graphically the game is a near perfect 10. The environments are amazing and true to the dark gothic standard one has come to expect from the series. I could go into detail but will stop short by saying simply that you would be hard pressed to top the visuals in this game or get a better representation of the Castlevania world in 3D.

As far as the gameplay is concerned - the game is very similar to God of War (as many have made note). Truth be told, I could care less if the gameplay were copied verbatim - the formula works, and in Castlevania it works beautifully. Compared to previous 3D Castlevania games fans should be praising Konami for taking a good gameplay model and using it to their advantage to make Castlevania Lords of Shadow as fun as it has proven to be. Translating a classic 2D side-scroller to 3D is not an easy task to pull off well, and past failures prove that. I think fans of the God of War series (like myself) might find it a little difficult to get past the nearly identical gameplay model with the primary change being in how you dodge. I constantly wanted to use the right control stick to dodge instead of the Castlevania-unique L button + left stick combo. For players not familiar with God of War - you shouldn't have as much trouble adapting to this. Overall the gameplay is great, and I would go so far as to say it's as good as God of War - and maybe...just maybe, even better.

The music is really the only area of the game that I am disappointed with, and I really hope in future Castlevanias they return to their roots. While I enjoyed the score for Lords of Shadow, it really fell short in many ways - primarily in making me feel like this was a Castlevania game! Castlevania has always been known for its great music, and with one minor exception none of those famous themes were anywhere to be found in the game! To add insult to injury, for a game that is so long, the lack of variety in the musical themes was pretty shocking. The same tired old music was playing over and over again throughout - initially it was powerful and driving and really added to the game - but by the end I found myself tiring of hearing the same tired old fanfare used for EVERY event that has happened in the past 20 hours. I believe the composers had an idea of making the music feel very cinematic - which works...for movies! ...but movies aren't 20 hours long. You can't write a musical score that works great for a 2hr movie and expect it to translate well into a 20+ hour long game. The old Castlevanias had many themes for the various locales throughout the game, and I was anxiously looking forward to hearing many new and some old - instead I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth that one of the best aspects of the previous games (the music) turned out to be the worst aspect of this game.

However, while the music left me wanting, the rest of the game more than lived up to my expectations and then surpassed them. I think any fan of Castlevania would agree this is a good evolution for the game, and while I would love to see a high-quality side-scroller reminiscent of the old-school games come to the PS3, the game must evolve and move forward - and I don't think I could have asked for a better way for Castlevania to do that than what Konami has presented us with here (except maybe the music!) ;-)

9/10 -1 point for the lack of musical quality I've come to expect from Castlevania games.
    In case it wasn't clear, this is a must-have for any Castlevania fan as well as those new to the series. It's hard to get much better than this.
  31. Nov 3, 2010
    just a beautiful game the enviroment is very well-done i just lvoe how its made although the gameplay and combat could of been better but it was a very good game
  32. Nov 4, 2010
    I've enjoyed playing every minute of this Game. This Game contents a wonderfull Storyline , with a unexpected Twist at the end. And as for the Graphics , they are Amazing!! I can't understand the low rating of this Game on the Internet , because (for me) it's worth a 10. And my personal opinion on God of War , Hmmmmm!! , That Game really Sucks! So buy Castlevania ; Lords of Shadow , you won't regret it. Expand
  33. Nov 8, 2010
    I'm a huge Castlevania fan, with my favorite games being Super Castlevania 4, Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night. With that said, I thought that Lords of Shadow was excellent! I admit that early on the game did not have a very "Castlevania feel" IMO, however as the game progresses and the enemies become more similar to what we know from previous games (skeletons, zombies, vampires, etc) it feels very much like a 3D interpretation of Super Castlevania 4, which apparently is what the developers were going for and succeeded in doing. The ending I thought was amazing, in how it resets the story for Castlevania, and also explains why Dracula is not really a big part of this story. Yeah, I know, you say it's not Castlevania without Dracula, but when you see the ending you will understand why Dracula is not mentioned throughout. As for people saying this game is a God of War ripoff, that is just nonsense...I guess modern warfare 2 is a ripoff of quake 2 then? just because a game is in the same genre does not make it a ripoff. Even if you were to call this game a ripoff of God of War and Shadow of the Colossus (don't get me wrong, I do see the similarities, but that doesn't make them identical) it doesn't change the fact that this game has -excellent graphics, stage design, character design, voice acting, and music, plus tons of replay value (this game is LONG-at least compared to most modern games). All Castlevania fans should check it out, as should any fan of GOOD VIDEO GAMES. Expand
  34. Sep 27, 2011
    Maybe it's not best of my games, but it's definitely the most allurable one - with best things that videogames should give. As good as bayonetta and GoW III.
  35. Jun 26, 2012
    This game is really very good. I recomend for all players. The game has a good story, awesome cutscenes, durability is very long, excelent characteres, very action and the soundtrack is beautiful. Is a epic game.
  36. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. The graphics and music is top-notch, the level design is beautiful and the game-play strikes a great balance between enemy battles, puzzles and platforming. In the game you will encounter a great variety of enemies combined with epic boss battles, all in breath-taking environments. The plot is great and it only gets better and better as the game progresses, providing superb ending. To top it all, the game is fairly long, offering many collectibles to add replay value. Lords of Shadow is an epic game, I strongly recommend it. Expand
  37. Mar 15, 2012
    A stunning return to form! Although many will argue that Castlevania wasn't in dire need of a reboot Konami, and specifically the influence of Hideo Kojima, has brought possibly my favourite videogame series roaring back to life. The mechanics, while they may owe tribute to other, more celebrated titles, are all solid and very well tuned. The combat in particular is extremely fluid and very enjoyable, especially in later straits of the game once most of the combat options have been unlocked. The plot, while lacking some of the atmosphere of earlier titles, is as dark and intriguing as I could have hoped for. The characters, and in particular their voice work, all come across as impressive and memorable, in particular the prominence of Gabriel Belmont and his dark journey to restore his lost wife. Overall Lords of Shadow is a deeply satisfying game, and one I still enjoy to this day. Expand
  38. Sep 1, 2012
    Being a longtime Castlevania fan helps...I first rented Simon's Quest in 1989 at a long-since closed mom and pop rental store. I loved it. I later found that Simon's Quest is one of the most hated titles in the whole story(see Angry Video Game Nerd on YouTube for details). With that in mind, I have played many and most of the games. This Castlevania entry is one of the best. I loved every minute of it. A serious challenge, though. You are not just going to walk right through this game. It takes time, it takes a game plan. It takes patience. It also took a seriously well drafted and developed team to make this game. They clearly and concisely nod at the original sidescroller many times throughout; but they also take the current gaming trends to a new level. Is it a ripoff of so many new and popular titles? No. It is the successor to the new and popular titles. This game knows the score, and it aims to beat it. And beat it, it does. Excellent, flawless gameplay with few complaints. I played this game so long that my fingers hurt the first few days that I had it. I blame that on the addictive and intuitive gameplay. The monsters and skeletons and evil things that are out to end you are fun to encounter, and difficult to overcome. The ability to upgrade your gorgeous Vampire Killer certainly aid you in this. The look of the monsters, the Bosses, the Belmont Master himself, are all utterly enthralling and interesting and completely cool. What could outdo them? Maybe the levels themselves. The levels are an exercise in what kind of beauty and immersion video games can offer, specifically on current-generation consoles. Each time you top a hill, pull yourself up a cliff, the camera changes to give you a lead in, which ends up feeling like a film. There are levels that are certainly and positively like nothing I've ever encountered in a video game. They are so beautiful, and the sound brings an ambience to the natural things you see, or even the reverb-heavy rooms of dark, awful castles you'll walk through. This game knows what it is before you know. It it one step ahead of any one person who has played lots and lots of video games. There are a few issues with the game. Wait....there are issues with every game. Big deal. The issues you'll encounter are few and far between. The game is so involving that by the time you get to sit down and **** and **** on a computer about it, you'll have forgotten what the problem was, because so much of what this game gets right has obscured and dissolved everything you hated about it. I give this game a high rating because I, like so many others have an emotional investment in Castlevania. Do you know why? Because Castlevania games are so F---ing hard. I have spent years cussing them out. I always come back, though, because these games, and this one especially, have such a great story. They have such a fascinating world. A dark age where the people that live in it are not sure if there will ever be a good time to be had. They don't necessarily believe that the wrongs will ever be righted. As a Belmont, in any Castlevania game, you have a unique opportunity to take the destiny of you and your people and change it for the better. This game capitalizes on that. This game gets a Siskel and Ebert TWO THUMBS up. If Roger Ebert had been playing Castlevania as long as I have, he'd be on his website right now telling you the reader that this game does it. This game really pulls it off. It's a sensation to watch, to listen to, to feel, to grow frustrated with. And beating it gave the 9 year old kid from 1989 with Simon's Quest in his hand a real victory of closure. Thanks again, Konami. Expand
  39. Mar 31, 2011
    Nice visuals and setting, pretty good story. Reminded me more of Soul Reaver games than God of War. Definitely better than Dante's Inferno and unlike DI, this games will not want another $40 out of on day one for DLC that should have been in the game in the 1st place.
  40. Jan 10, 2012
    Looking at the other user scores for this game I was wary about parting with me cash, but im glad I did. Everything about this game is a joy to play: the controls are perfect, the landscapes are breathtaking and the graphics are top notch. There is definitely something to be said about the blatant poaching of some game ideas from other well known franchises, though it doesnt hinder the experience of the game so who cares? Plus there is enough originality here to keep the game interesting with loads to find and extra challenges and difficult levels for trophy hunters. The game may be a bit linear in places and it may not meet the castlevania fan bases definition of a "true" castlevania title, but all things considered its alot of fun and presented with style. Given the length of the game and all its hidden extras you would be hard pushed to find a game that offers better value for money. Expand
  41. Oct 14, 2011
    The game is beautiful... the story is amazing... the main character becomes a part of you... its long and sucks you into 6 completely different worlds that are so different to each other but seem to blend into the story seamlessly. Clone my ass.. this game is unbelievable. The end scene after the credits is just the cherry on top.
  42. Nov 17, 2010
    Just one word to summarize the whole experience: breathtaking. Technically displays a really high level: graphics are stunning and every area is rich in detail, sound and music are amazing with really epic melodies. The game also has one of the most beautiful light effects I've seen in years in this industry: in specific points in the game, when there is no action and the character reaches a new area, the camera is displayed from far away to show the whole landscape with really beautiful light setups.

The story is also very good. Typical good and evil? Yes, but developed in a very smart way with smart plot twists and a nice pace. It's a long game, so the story is developed in a way that the player always wants to continue playing to know what's going to happen next.

The combat system is not that innovative. Typical hack n slash, with plenty of combos to buy, parry, dodge, counter attack... Well implemented. Very nice to be able to ride many type of enemies that actually have a reason for that: spiders can use their net to open doors or create bridges, wargs can climb and jump big distances, trolls can destroy gates, etc... A very addition. The variety of enemies is really big, with small, medium and big foes with their own strategies to attack/defend and really cool bosses (some of them very big).

Very "re-playable". On your first run you won't be able to reach/open some places to get to some weapon bonus. While you continue playing, you will acquire some special techniques and add-ons for your cross-weapon that will allow you and help reaching those bonus. The bad thing on the game, that made me give it a 9 instead of a 10 was the camera. You can't control the camera and sometimes is hard to see where your enemies are. There is a blind spot between the character and the player that will give you some trouble.

Overall, is a really good game and I recommend all you give it an opportunity. One of my favs this year. Viva el desarrollo español!
  43. Nov 25, 2010
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is simply a gorgeous game in every aspect. Visually the game is breathtaking, the music is as appropriate as it is epic, while the game play is fast paced and requires technical skill but remains fun and captivating. It has taken the best elements from other games of the same genre and while some have described this as another 'clone' of God of War or Devil May Cry, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has perfectly implemented those elements and deserves praise for a highly polished delivery. In addition, the enthralling story of Gabriel (the protagonist) is made all the more enchanting by the inspired and artistic high fantasy setting in which it takes place. The only flaws that detract from the game's otherwise excellent execution includes the lack of camera angle control and being far too zoomed out to allow the player to react to dangerous situations developing off-screen or see small, typically dangerous projectiles being launched at your face. However these design flaws are minor. Overall Castlevania is a warmly (bordering on hot) welcomed revival of a well loved franchise that is highly recommended - a great purchase for old or new fans of the series alike. Expand
  44. Jun 19, 2011
    A solid and enjoyable game. Break the back of it and its got some all round good elements to it. The graphics are really good and its certainly got value for money written all over it. Its a crime the popularity of this game made it such an afterhought to many when its a top 10 ps3 game. The team who created this should be proud of the strong graphics and evident effort that they put into this game. Almost a ten. (but i have never given anything a ten since resi 4. : ) Expand
  45. Jan 10, 2011
    This game is uberfun. I found myself unable to put it down throughout. There were several instances when the difficulty was a bit much (this is due to the heavily defensive nature of the gameplay.) I have seen much comparison between this and the gameplay of God of War. It is true, the gameplay is SOMEWHAT similar,but when that is akin to saying Call of Duty MW copied Halo's gameplay. The games are similar because of genre similarities, but that doesn't make one a clone. That aside, the use of the gameplay is the polar opposite of GoW. Instead of brutal offense, the player must use attentive defense to defeat even the run of the mill monsters. The graphics, the music, the voice over cast. All this is top notch. The only reason I do not give this fun and addictive game a perfect 10 score is the occasional frustrating difficulty and the good but not great storyline. If you haven't already, pick this up ASAP. Collapse
  46. Jan 11, 2011
    One of the best games of 2010. I was pleasantly surprised. The game takes some time to get into to but once your into the second half of the chapters it is very hard to put down. The story is one of the best I've seen in gaming and the second ending (after the credits) is very much like "Interview With The Vampire". I hope they make another because playing as Gabriel being a modern day vampire will be awesome. It took the best part's of God of War but I felt the story was much deeper because each monster and character had a background story. Some of the platforming and camera angles were off which is why some might be complaining about difficulty. This definitely isn't an easy game but it is forgiving by having frequent checkpoints even in boss battles. The game is long by today's standards but persistence pays off if you play all the way through. The ending is a pleasant surprise and has me very excited for a sequel. Expand
  47. Aug 26, 2014
    Lords of Shadow is aesthetically expressive, immersive, has a great narrative, fantastic boss fights, a deep and melancholic atmosphere, differentiate and inspired sceneries, charismatic characters and engaging gameplay!
    It is a very interesting take on the Castlevania series, using references from another games like Legacy of Kain, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War but with an unique
    personality and keeping the Castlevania feeling and elements.
    Lords of Shadow is among my favourite games of the most recent years, side by side with Witcher 2, L.A.Noire, Resistance 3, Dark Souls and a few others.
  48. May 15, 2011
    It's back... again! Castlevania makes its first entry on the PS3 and Xbox360 and to celebrate a new start right the series gets a fresh reboot. New Story, new characters, new game-play, everything seems to be new in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and lets be serious: It was about time!

After 25 Years of butchering demons and killing Vlad the impaler also known as Count Dracula the story of
    Lords of Shadow does not seem to be the most innovative. Our Hero Gabriel Belmont (that name should ring a bell) lost his love, Marie to the dark powers that roam the world embodied by the Lords of Shadow. In seek for revenge and a way to bring his wife back Gabriel is on his journey to get hold of the so-called God Mask that is said to be able to bring back the dead.
    You fight your ways through chapters that start each time with a narration by Zobek, a fellow member of the Brotherhood that Gabriel belongs to. Zobek is voiced by Patrick Stewart who is a real treat to listen to. All in all the voice cast is great and is doing an outstanding job. Robert Carlyle (28 Weeks Later) as Gabriel, Aleksandar Mikic (Eastern Promises) as Pan or Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter) as a character I won't spoil just to name a few big shots that lend their voices to this game that is heavy with ambitions to itself.

While the story lives up to the cast's great performances it astonishes the player more with great action-sequences than an innovative story. But what can you expect from a game that feels like it wants to challenge God of War or Dante's Inferno? Lords of Shadow is no RPG that sucks the player into its story, but wants to give you the feeling you had, when you played the first Castlevania back on the NES. You shall feel challenged fighting the world's evil and it is supposed to be fun.
    And it is.
    Gabriel uses his Combat Cross â
  49. Jun 5, 2011
    I never liked the Castlevania series, and it was because of the ridiculous hard bosses. So looking, and hearing that this one was the exception, i decided to give it a try, the good thing was, i really loved this a home adaptation of the series. The game is gorgeous in every way,very detailed cut scenes,also the levels look amazing, the gameplay is very fast and is very entertaining , actually very easy gameplay i must say, there isn't many difficulty in the gameplay. As for the difficulty if the game, is really challenging, especially fighting with big monsters. I found some flaws in the game that annoyed me in the experience, some of them were ,like, sometimes the character(Belmont) did not respond to the ledges,making unwanted deaths and re spawning al over again , also if, you explored the full place and returned to search for fallen soldiers etc enemies started to pop out , while you all ready beat the same foes in the level. If you are still in confusion, in picking this game, i without a doubt recommend this game. Expand
  50. Dec 3, 2013
    One of the very few 10's I've given a game. Sure the gameplay is like God of War, but so what, it's a masterpiece of gaming. The graphics and backdrops are jaw dropping so many times throughout the game, the story is great, bosses galore, super long game so you get your moneys worth, awesome sound and music, fun puzzles and extras. I haven't enjoyed playing through a game so much in years and years. It seriously is that good!! Expand
  51. May 5, 2011
    I'll start off by saying I don't like Castlevania. The original series. This new IP version of it is just plain epic. And also it is its own game, GoW fanboys can hate it all they want, they know C:LoS is a better game but won't admit it. I'll split this review into sections: 1. combat The combat in this game is brand new, and by far the most dynamic and enjoyable combat system that has ever been brought to life in its genre. First off, you have a TON of different moves you can use, they are all unique and add style to how you want to fight. Secondly, the enemy AI are programmed very well. They all have tons of different moves and actually dodge your attacks instead of just strafing about and attacking at random times (GoW)
    And then you have the magic system. The blue magic is basically life steal, so you can sustain yourself in battle. The red magic is improved damage, if you want to be aggressive.

2. puzzles
    Meh, the puzzles weren't all that great.
    The platforming was, if you want to count that in. Platforming was superb.

3. story
    Amazing story, really truly amazing.

4. sound
    Music was awesome, this is the best music in an action-adventure game. If you are traversing the landscape, the music will be relaxing and you will sink in your seat. If you are in combat, the music will give you adrenaline just add to the epic.

5. controls
    Amazing, best controls in an action-adventure game.

conclusion:

Well this is my favorite linear action-adventure game to date. GoW 1-3 is probably my second favorite.
    So yeah if you think god of war is awesome, check this game out because it will blow you away.

The only problem I had with it is its reoccurring frustrating frame rate.
    But that isn't nearly enough to damage unforgettable experience you will have.
  52. May 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazing game, very high production value, specially for the sound effects and music. Without a question, one of the best games I´ve played in 2010. If you are looking for an immersive and compelling game, this is your choise. Expand
  53. Oct 9, 2012
    First and foremost, this is a bit of a departure from the classical Castlevania gameplay that most die-hard fans will have come to know and love. That being said, it is executed beautifully and so well that if you're willing to dive in, it's worth getting.

the flaws, however, come as it's not a classical castlevania game, it feels more like a mish-mosh of God of War and Shadow of the
    Colossus... Also, if you're not playing this on an HD television, it's very difficult to see what you're playing at times... I understand that HD is the way the industry is going but it feels like a bit of a let-down because the game is difficult to play on a non-HD television, harder than it ought to be sometimes. the story is a little on the linear side so the replayability does suffer but there is enough of that classic "metroidvania" gameplay style that you can find yourself going back to previous levels to uncover more things you may have missed or were unable to get.

decent, good story, exceptionally beautiful and plays well enough... a solid 9
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    I dont care what people say! This game is AWESOME!!! one of the best games this gen.. Its sooooooo **** underrated, i dont know why it gets much hate from castlevania fans! Just because it not a "TRUE" caslevania doesnt mean that it sucks! Its a GREAT game
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is an AWESOME game!, one of the best games this generation.. Its really underrated, i dont know why it gets much hate from castlevania fans! I know it not a side-scroller caslevania but that doesnt mean it a bad game! Its a GREAT game
  56. Mar 26, 2012
    Castlevania is a really great game series. Castlevania: SOTN is still one of my favorites, but I would consider Castlevania: LOS as one of the best ones yet. In the past, Konami has tried to make 3D games, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful. LOS has an epic storyline as well as great graphics. Finally the 3D Castlevania game that fans have been waiting for. My only dislike about this game is that I feel they took out some of the old traditional locations that were in older games. Overall this is one of my new favorites. Expand
  57. Mar 31, 2012
    It's no perfect, yet still good. It has good graphics, nice traditional fantasy OST, and interesting combat, yet it suffers from needless length and weak and unnecessary platforming. But still, it's good, it has a lot of content, etc. If you aren't greedy, you may buy this and get some time killed, but just don't expect it to be perfect.
  58. Aug 27, 2012
    An excellent game. My only complaint is the low replay value. The first time you play it, it is a great game. Unfortunately, there's no reason to go back to it afterwards (Unless you're a trophy hunter like me!). Hopefully, they will fix this with Mirror of Fate. Once again, great game. Worth every penny. Not more, not less.
  59. May 12, 2012
    Beautiful graphics and fighting, the only catch to the game is you can only have one profile per saving platform. Great story and definitely worth getting if you don't mind the gore.
  60. May 15, 2012
    A hidden gem. Castlevania LoS was one of the best games I played in year 2010 and it was a great mix-up between decent combat, good story, and a great atmosphere.
  61. May 31, 2012
    This game is simply stunning . It may be different from other castlevania games but it is still a great game all round. The music is some of the best in any game I have played
  62. Mar 19, 2013
    Great game all round. Really enjoyed the story. Loved the epic nature of the level design and artwork. The soundtrack perfectly suited the game, it was emotional and captivating and not in your face like so many other games. Graphics are just as good as the Uncharted series (1-3). I really have nothing to complain about and it was true to the Castlevania franchise. I look forward to #2.
  63. Nov 1, 2013
    That game kept the essence of Castlevania, have a nice story, characters and gameplay as well.

Highly recommended for all players, even the ones who only like the 2d types.
  64. Feb 6, 2014
    This is my first review and I am RAGED at people saying this game is mediocre because it's NOT.

Fantastic untouchable 5/5 sound track.

Graphics amazing 5/5.

Gameplay 5/5. It's tough thus making you think on your feet.

Story 5/5 Amazingly well crafted and great characters.

I don't understand the low scores this game has it all it's lengthy and well done.
  65. Feb 24, 2014
    Such an amazing game.So much variety from the creatures,enemies,bosses to the environments,magnificent storyline,awesome combat and physics.A real masterpiece !
  66. Mar 2, 2014
    This game is sexy, thats all you need to know, the gameplay is fun and the graphics are great. Dont believe the negativity. I work on a 10, 5, 0 score. 10 = Id buy for ps3, 5 = Probably wouldnt buy. 0 = Would not buy.
  67. Mar 26, 2014
    completely unexpected greatness. I rememeber seeing the trailers in the game shop, and since then it got my attention. When i played it it slowly took me inside and i was shocked how good the game was. Everything that game needs was there. Great story, gameplay with amazing boss fights. Music is beautifull, and surroundings stunning. Just a great game that will be remembered and recomended to my firends Expand
  68. Jan 10, 2011

1. Apr 28, 2011
    The franchise needed this. It's not remotely original and it occasionally threatens to drown under the weight of its own bluster, but it's also clever, challenging, bewilderingly pretty in places and a ripping good yarn.
  2. While the fixed-camera isn't always your friend and the platforming relies too much on trial-and-error death, this is still one hell of a tight package. Give Castlevania: Lords of Shadow a chance to sink its fangs into you and you'll be surprised about how exquisite and long lasting its embrace can be. [December 2010 p74]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Fabulous action game with nice riddles and cool fights, but with lacks in camera perspectives.