Castlevania: Lords of Shadow PlayStation 3

8.0

1. Oct 6, 2010
    I'm not sure where people get off saying it's a crappy God of War clone, when God of War itself mimicked Rygar, Shadow Of The Colossus, Shenmue and however many other games. God of War didn't have a single idea to call its own, either, it just brought a little of this and a little of that to the "casual" gamers...

So it's no surprise that people are writing this off as a clone because

So it's no surprise that people are writing this off as a clone because it's obvious those casual gamers don't know "what a Castlevania is". They think it started at Symphony Of The Night. Well, being a Castlevania fan from the NES days, I can say that if anything, this is somewhat of a 3D Simon's Quest, and I say that mostly based on the locales you visit (and revisit when you have a new item, as SQ did). And just as in SQ, you don't reach a castle until well, WELL into the game. Other than that, I don't get where people say this isn't Castlevania - playing as a whip-toting Belmont against the forces of darkness kinda goes hand in hand with Castlevania, and this is no different. This is a fantastic game with a length that is generally unheard of for a game of its genre. Definitely an incredible game and a great purchase.
  2. Oct 10, 2010
    First off, you won't find a better looking game anywhere. The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a long while and are comparable to anything out there right now. The fighting style is top notch and will have you playing and replaying levels just so you can try and complete a certain trial. It's not a typical Castlevania game but that is a good thing here. It's time for the series toFirst off, you won't find a better looking game anywhere. The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a long while and are comparable to anything out there right now. The fighting style is top notch and will have you playing and replaying levels just so you can try and complete a certain trial. It's not a typical Castlevania game but that is a good thing here. It's time for the series to evolve and this is a great first step. The enemies are just right for this type of game and it's more than a "Hack and Slash" it's a game that will actually make you stop and think of what the best way to make it through each level is.

Old school Castlevania fans and purists might balk at the game play but for those looking for a change of pace but still keeping with the Castlevania mythologies you won't be disappointed if you play this game.
  3. Oct 14, 2010
    had this game since release and i have got to say how amazing it is. I was unsure wuether to get this or enslaved. But im happy at my final decision. The graphics are incredible and the character design is very imaginitive and overy other level the lesser monsters change. Thus keeping the gake intresting and also cause the player to mix up and experiment with the very expansive move list.had this game since release and i have got to say how amazing it is. I was unsure wuether to get this or enslaved. But im happy at my final decision. The graphics are incredible and the character design is very imaginitive and overy other level the lesser monsters change. Thus keeping the gake intresting and also cause the player to mix up and experiment with the very expansive move list. Although a fairly linear game there are a few levels which cause you to have to explore to find a key or something but thats as free roaming as it gets. I for one like the level design though. There is always something intresting to look at and the game throughs in fight scenes frequantly, but instead of the game feeling slightly arena based(god of war im looking at you) the enemies appear frequentaly whether it is a hall. Open area or any where else. The story is great and the voice acting includes an A list class. The game is about 15-20 hours long according to reviews, and although i havent finished ive set back 10 hours and im only on the 5th chapter. Go pick this game up if you want a game that excels in singleplayer capaign rather then just throughing your cash away on another run of the mills shooter. The only problem for me is that the set camera can be a little awkward at times and there are a few framerate issues it desrves a 9.5 but i cant give it that by this scoring system and no game desrves 10 as no game is perfect. Although this is as close as you are going to get to perfect as you can. Highly recommended Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2010
    Castlevania come back. This is the best game of 2010. Music, graphics, story, duration . . . I need now the second part,I see that they are able to. Thanks Mecury Steam.
  5. Oct 8, 2010
    MercurySteam has crafted a beautiful game which shines with it's own light, varied, long and challenging, Lords of Shadow is everything you would want from an Action Adventure game and then some, It's not a metroidvania, but for all intents and purposes it's a damn good Castlevania game.
  6. Oct 9, 2010
    This is actually the only competent non 2-D entry for the Castlevania franchise. It's reminiscent of God of War and Dante's Inferno with it's beautifully rendered quick time events and action game play. The smooth animations and solid pacing make play sessions enjoyable and not tedious like other games in the genre. In contrast to the hand-held entries this adventure takes itselfThis is actually the only competent non 2-D entry for the Castlevania franchise. It's reminiscent of God of War and Dante's Inferno with it's beautifully rendered quick time events and action game play. The smooth animations and solid pacing make play sessions enjoyable and not tedious like other games in the genre. In contrast to the hand-held entries this adventure takes itself seriously and is influenced more by dark fantasy than anime. Expand
  7. Oct 9, 2010
    This game its amazing, gorgeous and well balanced. I am in love with the history and the characters. A great addition for my collection. One of the best of the year.
  8. Oct 18, 2010
    Wow, great game so far. I am in the 8th chapter out of 12 and about 12 hours in. It's awesome. Yes, it uses a lot of the action adventure genre gameplay tactics, but that is what makes it wonderful. Who doesn't want a game like God of War or Devil May Cry transposed into the world of Transylvania?! Pick this game up. The boss battles are epic and so is the vast world. It is definetly worthWow, great game so far. I am in the 8th chapter out of 12 and about 12 hours in. It's awesome. Yes, it uses a lot of the action adventure genre gameplay tactics, but that is what makes it wonderful. Who doesn't want a game like God of War or Devil May Cry transposed into the world of Transylvania?! Pick this game up. The boss battles are epic and so is the vast world. It is definetly worth the money!!!! Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2010
    Great Game, don't sleep....I give this game a stiff 9. Likes-Combat, IMO better than GOW(and I love GOW), several boss and mini boss battles, beautiful looking game. The only true negative would be sometimes the camera messes me up. Also, people that are pissed that this is not a true Castlevania are clowns.
  10. Oct 11, 2010
    The tight combat mechanics shine through the detailed and involving story. The platforming elements are well constructed and really serve to compliment the pace of the game, providing an entertaining diversion that allows the player to gather themself for the next onslaught of enemies. Having mentioned the enemies they are diverse in both fighting style and character model. Consisting ofThe tight combat mechanics shine through the detailed and involving story. The platforming elements are well constructed and really serve to compliment the pace of the game, providing an entertaining diversion that allows the player to gather themself for the next onslaught of enemies. Having mentioned the enemies they are diverse in both fighting style and character model. Consisting of the lycans you would expect in a Castlevania title as well as goblins and the quintessential giant spider plus numerous others to be discovered. The Lords of Shadow near Halloween release is perfect for those looking to battle the creatures of the night to capture the spirit of the ghoul season. As someone who has enjoyed Castlevania games since the days of the 8 bit adventure, I highly recommend this game for those looking to enjoy this franchise reimagined in a very respectful and consistent recreation.Also for anyone seeking a magical adventure game you will happily find it here. Expand
  11. Oct 19, 2010
    I really like this game, and i recommend it to any and all action fans who loved DMC, GOW, Dante's inferno. The storyling while not super original when it starts up gets rather interesting, and i have yet to beat to this game. I am on chapter 5 out of 10 and have put in a very large amount of time spent playing it. The combo system if rite up there with the best action games seeingI really like this game, and i recommend it to any and all action fans who loved DMC, GOW, Dante's inferno. The storyling while not super original when it starts up gets rather interesting, and i have yet to beat to this game. I am on chapter 5 out of 10 and have put in a very large amount of time spent playing it. The combo system if rite up there with the best action games seeing Gaberial twirl and spin like a badass. Using the sub wepons and magic system is a beuaty to watch. The boss battles are so much fun, and the gFX are some of the best i have seen to date. Only thing i must admit i do not care to much for is the plateforming, as the camera does have some issues showing you the correct distance, angle and you will die alot. Thankfully this game has no real penalty to dieing, except to go back to a checkpoint. All in all, i really enjoy it and think others should buy it, or at the very least rent it!! Expand
  12. Oct 13, 2010
    I've been playing Castlevania games since the series first released in 1987 and this is truly a 21st century update to the classic game, well deserving of the Castlevania title. The game is true to the spirit of the classic Castlevania games in a number of ways: the linear level design, combat mechanics, rpg elements (improving weapons/skills), narrative design, and boss battles. The gameI've been playing Castlevania games since the series first released in 1987 and this is truly a 21st century update to the classic game, well deserving of the Castlevania title. The game is true to the spirit of the classic Castlevania games in a number of ways: the linear level design, combat mechanics, rpg elements (improving weapons/skills), narrative design, and boss battles. The game takes these classic elements and infuses them with the gameplay/narrative developments of the last ten years or so and brings them into the era of HD gaming. It borrows no more from any game more than GOW, Uncharted, or other games have borrowed and improved upon the elements of other games.

The graphics are stunning; the settings are epic; and the scope/scale of the game is grand. The game also develops further upon the supernatural elements of earlier Castlevania games by adding a mythological element that makes the game's world feel ancient and lively. The influence of Kojima production team on the game's environments and story are obvious and the results are nothing short of breathtaking.

There are very minor issues with the camera but nothing that detracts from the playing experience in a significant way. Some of the puzzles can be a bit difficult to solve, but, again, this is also true to the classic Castlevania formula where trial & error, a little thought, and some perseverance are required. This is a gamer's game and it harkens back to the classic era of console gaming when everything wasn't handed to you and you needed a little ingenuity and skill to succeed. But when you do succeed, it is extremely rewarding.

If you love Castlevania (and I have been waiting for a 3D Castlevania game worth playing for a long, long time) and you love video games, I do not think you will be disappointed. Those who say the game does not feel like Castlevania are either woefully unfamiliar with the series' legacy or unwilling to opent themselves to experience a new generation of Castlevania. The game is part re-invention and part revitalization of the classic series. One of the most gripping, engaging gaming experiences out there right now - and I've played console games as far back as the Atari 2600.

It's good to finally see Castlevania reborn for a new generation of gamers and old schoolers. Highly recommended.
  13. Oct 14, 2010
    Es un gran juego, graficos de lo mejor que hay hoy en día, una banda sonora epica y un gran doblaje, aunque lastima que no este en castellano.También es muy largo y aun después quedan retos por cumplir. Tal vez debería tener más combos para que el combate tuviera más opciones, pero espero que los fallos queEs un gran juego, graficos de lo mejor que hay hoy en día, una banda sonora epica y un gran doblaje, aunque lastima que no este en castellano.También es muy largo y aun después quedan retos por cumplir. Tal vez debería tener más combos para que el combate tuviera más opciones, pero espero que los fallos que tiene los solucionen cuando saquen su secuela. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2010
    When i first started playing this game i had mixed feelings. The atmosphere and game play didn't feel appropriate for the title and i was bored at the lack of story progress throughout the first couple of chapters. I was tempted to sell the game to a pawn shop the next day but given there were over 10 total chapters to play through, i figured i'd give it the benefit of the doubt andWhen i first started playing this game i had mixed feelings. The atmosphere and game play didn't feel appropriate for the title and i was bored at the lack of story progress throughout the first couple of chapters. I was tempted to sell the game to a pawn shop the next day but given there were over 10 total chapters to play through, i figured i'd give it the benefit of the doubt and continue on. I was not disappointed. Although the game was not at all what i expected, i still feel my expectations were far exceeded. What i got was a game rich in environments and details (and a superb score), boss fights that were complex but not convoluted, and puzzles that were challenging but not strenuous. The game play is similar to God of War, but there are numerous differences in control set up, some for better and some for worse. For instance, the ability to dodge AND block is bound to L2 where in GoW it was the right joystick and fleece blocking was on L1 to prevent accidental dodging or blocking when the opposite action was intended. So there would be times in LoS when i would find myself accidentally rolling out of the way of an enemy when what i had intended to do was block in order to raise my focus meter. The same thing would happen occasionally when i would attempt a somersault. LoS improved on the ability to sprint that i strongly disliked with the Hermes boots (which i rarely used) in GoW. Instead of needing to use a button combination to activate and use the joystick to maneuver, once you obtain the boot relics in LoS you need only to double tap the left joystick to activate your sprint. The icarus wings are present in LoS as well but sadly the ability to dodge mid air is not. I did not like the combo move book at all in this game. There were very few combinations i was able to utilize successfully as they were tedious to combine with dodge and blocking (which due to the poorly assigned binds was difficult on its own to separate). I found most often i utilized small bursts of hits followed by a rolling dodge or somersault. Most often when a combo is started the enemy will throw an attack at you which must either be dodged or blocked depending on the strength of the attack. This made long combinations almost useless unless the enemy was dazed since they would need to be broken midway through. There are a few abilities that at face value seem redundant and useless, but in several places in game become very useful. As previous reviewer EBgeer pointed out, the scorpion fight was annoying when attempting to activate the button when he went under the tesla coil. I too was using the landslide punch to try and activate the button and i was having my angle redirected when Gabriel was focusing on the scorpion midway through. A quick glance at my combo manual reminded me that i could use earthquake punch (hold L2 and press triangle) instead and save myself the headache. :P

I appreciated that Castlevania relied less on the usage of multiple weapons, as i felt it redundant and cumbersome in GoW to weapon swap in the middle of important boss fights when focusing on enemy position and maneuvering were crucial. In LoS, you can spend less time needing to determine which weapon is the best for specific encounters and powering that weapon up and instead focus on becoming proficient with dodging and blocking enemy attacks (which is more important in this game than it was in GoW) and exploiting specific boss weaknesses. Ironically, the storyline, which almost turned me off from the game ended up being the most interesting aspect of the entire experience. There is a great twist at the end followed by a tantalizing epilogue that fans of the franchise won't want to miss.

All in all, LoS ended up being a very worthwhile addition to my game collection and one that i am definitely going to spend time on, completing trials and unlocking achievements. I would definitely recommend this to any person out there, fan of the franchise or not.
  15. Oct 18, 2010
    This game has the most lush, detailed, and top of the line graphics I think I have ever seen, combined with a beautiful art style and awesome special effects. Almost every level has a new twist - keeping the game play constantly fresh. Levels are branching and non-linear with lot of hidden areas, just overall very well designed. The puzzles seem a little on the easy side, but there'sThis game has the most lush, detailed, and top of the line graphics I think I have ever seen, combined with a beautiful art style and awesome special effects. Almost every level has a new twist - keeping the game play constantly fresh. Levels are branching and non-linear with lot of hidden areas, just overall very well designed. The puzzles seem a little on the easy side, but there's always a scroll nearby to solve the puzzle for you if you're stuck. There are a lot of mysteries hidden throughout, but helpful tool tips and scrolls help to keep you in the right direction. The combat system is perfect - it favors technique over button mashing. The game does have a bit of frustration, you may want to play it on the easiest setting to avoid some difficult battles. Personally, I don't really care about whether the game is faithful to its CV franchise, I think this game re-invents it with new identity despite previous failures in the franchise. This game takes ideas from other games but combines them into an amazing unique experience. Taking other ideas and making them your own is called design and is found in every aspect of media. I really hope that we'll see some sequels despite some reviews that aren't doing this game justice. Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2010
    This is bar far one of the greatest titles I've played this gen, and it's a beautiful lung of fresh summer valley air from the masses of shooters this gen. For one i would like to say I've never been all that into Castlevania so as a Castlevania title i don't know how it compares, but haven't had this much fun for years. The design is beautiful and very Guillermo del Toro(hellboy, andThis is bar far one of the greatest titles I've played this gen, and it's a beautiful lung of fresh summer valley air from the masses of shooters this gen. For one i would like to say I've never been all that into Castlevania so as a Castlevania title i don't know how it compares, but haven't had this much fun for years. The design is beautiful and very Guillermo del Toro(hellboy, and Pan's Labyrinth) in terms of design, with great Gothic structures, but bright and sunny. the atmosphere is very imerssive and creates a great feel of depth and history to the environments. The combat is where the bread and butter is, the move list expands greatly throughout the game becoming a huge library of moves that can be pulled off with great fluid succession with great power and satisfaction, picture Ninja gaiden combat with god of war feel of power. Many people are saying it borrows/rips off games like GOW3, and Shadow of the Colossus but i don't understand how this is a bad thing, i mean they what made those games great and made it into something of their own that feels completely different. This game would've gotten a 10/10 from me but they gave you a very interesting story and very little narrative. it just feels like they could use more/longer cutscenes as the ones they have are very short and don't tell much of the story. But overall if your looking for a great non-shooter game with good story, excellent combat, great design, pretty graphics, beautiful set pieces, fun yet challenging platforming and puzzles with exploration and replay value then Castlevania LOS is your game. Expand
  17. Oct 26, 2010
    I have never signed up on a website to write a review but i would be an was in clined to do so today because castlevania os am epic title and some major websites have misjudged the game Not that i am doubting there expertise but i have been playing videogames for 20 years and am 25 years old and castlevania is a standout title. pros : Epic amd grandiose in everything it tries, everythingI have never signed up on a website to write a review but i would be an was in clined to do so today because castlevania os am epic title and some major websites have misjudged the game Not that i am doubting there expertise but i have been playing videogames for 20 years and am 25 years old and castlevania is a standout title. pros : Epic amd grandiose in everything it tries, everything is polished to perfection , the story is great , immaculate artistic feel to the graphics , the game is deep and involving and the GAMEPLAY is refined !

im a picky gamer u ll see the cons but with that in mind i give this game a 9.4
    cons: the game not only is a heavy borrower it borrows some things that are just too specific to there own title for example it borrows some bits from shadow of the colossus (one of my top 5 games to date ) u cant borrow from a game so unique , Also the lead charachter whom i like alot looks to much like aragon from lotr and the gameplay could have used a little bit more originality,

apart from the nitpicking TRUST ME AND AT LEAST RENT IT .
    I BELEIVE ITS BETTER THAN 95 percent of games in this genre !!!
  18. Oct 28, 2010
    As a long time fan of Castlevania since it's original debut on the NES many years ago, I am simultaneously torn and excited by this most recent release. It's the first Castlevania in 3D that I've actually enjoyed and thought worthy to carry the Castlevania name. In many ways I was hesitant about this release simply because it is such a significant departure from what makesAs a long time fan of Castlevania since it's original debut on the NES many years ago, I am simultaneously torn and excited by this most recent release. It's the first Castlevania in 3D that I've actually enjoyed and thought worthy to carry the Castlevania name. In many ways I was hesitant about this release simply because it is such a significant departure from what makes Castlevania...well, Castlevania! However, after playing through the entire game I can say without hesitation that it does indeed live up to the standard of the originals on many levels (and surpasses them in a few).

Graphically the game is a near perfect 10. The environments are amazing and true to the dark gothic standard one has come to expect from the series. I could go into detail but will stop short by saying simply that you would be hard pressed to top the visuals in this game or get a better representation of the Castlevania world in 3D.

As far as the gameplay is concerned - the game is very similar to God of War (as many have made note). Truth be told, I could care less if the gameplay were copied verbatim - the formula works, and in Castlevania it works beautifully. Compared to previous 3D Castlevania games fans should be praising Konami for taking a good gameplay model and using it to their advantage to make Castlevania Lords of Shadow as fun as it has proven to be. Translating a classic 2D side-scroller to 3D is not an easy task to pull off well, and past failures prove that. I think fans of the God of War series (like myself) might find it a little difficult to get past the nearly identical gameplay model with the primary change being in how you dodge. I constantly wanted to use the right control stick to dodge instead of the Castlevania-unique L button + left stick combo. For players not familiar with God of War - you shouldn't have as much trouble adapting to this. Overall the gameplay is great, and I would go so far as to say it's as good as God of War - and maybe...just maybe, even better.

The music is really the only area of the game that I am disappointed with, and I really hope in future Castlevanias they return to their roots. While I enjoyed the score for Lords of Shadow, it really fell short in many ways - primarily in making me feel like this was a Castlevania game! Castlevania has always been known for its great music, and with one minor exception none of those famous themes were anywhere to be found in the game! To add insult to injury, for a game that is so long, the lack of variety in the musical themes was pretty shocking. The same tired old music was playing over and over again throughout - initially it was powerful and driving and really added to the game - but by the end I found myself tiring of hearing the same tired old fanfare used for EVERY event that has happened in the past 20 hours. I believe the composers had an idea of making the music feel very cinematic - which works...for movies! ...but movies aren't 20 hours long. You can't write a musical score that works great for a 2hr movie and expect it to translate well into a 20+ hour long game. The old Castlevanias had many themes for the various locales throughout the game, and I was anxiously looking forward to hearing many new and some old - instead I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth that one of the best aspects of the previous games (the music) turned out to be the worst aspect of this game.

However, while the music left me wanting, the rest of the game more than lived up to my expectations and then surpassed them. I think any fan of Castlevania would agree this is a good evolution for the game, and while I would love to see a high-quality side-scroller reminiscent of the old-school games come to the PS3, the game must evolve and move forward - and I don't think I could have asked for a better way for Castlevania to do that than what Konami has presented us with here (except maybe the music!) ;-)

9/10 -1 point for the lack of musical quality I've come to expect from Castlevania games.
    In case it wasn't clear, this is a must-have for any Castlevania fan as well as those new to the series. It's hard to get much better than this.
  19. Nov 3, 2010
    just a beautiful game the enviroment is very well-done i just lvoe how its made although the gameplay and combat could of been better but it was a very good game
  20. Nov 4, 2010
    I've enjoyed playing every minute of this Game.
    This Game contents a wonderfull Storyline , with a unexpected Twist at the end.
    And as for the Graphics , they are Amazing!! I can't understand the low rating of this Game on the Internet , because (for me) it's worth a 10. And my personal opinion on God of War , Hmmmmm!! , That Game really Sucks! So buy Castlevania ; Lords of Shadow , you
    I've enjoyed playing every minute of this Game.
    This Game contents a wonderfull Storyline , with a unexpected Twist at the end.
    And as for the Graphics , they are Amazing!!
    And my personal opinion on God of War , Hmmmmm!! , That Game really Sucks!
    So buy Castlevania ; Lords of Shadow , you won't regret it.
  21. Sep 27, 2011
    Maybe it's not best of my games, but it's definitely the most allurable one - with best things that videogames should give. As good as bayonetta and GoW III.
  22. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. The graphics and music is top-notch, the level design is beautiful and the game-play strikes a great balance between enemy battles, puzzles and platforming. In the game you will encounter a great variety of enemies combined with epic boss battles, all in breath-taking environments. The plot is great and it only gets better and better as the game progresses,This is a beautiful game. The graphics and music is top-notch, the level design is beautiful and the game-play strikes a great balance between enemy battles, puzzles and platforming. In the game you will encounter a great variety of enemies combined with epic boss battles, all in breath-taking environments. The plot is great and it only gets better and better as the game progresses, providing superb ending. To top it all, the game is fairly long, offering many collectibles to add replay value. Lords of Shadow is an epic game, I strongly recommend it. Expand
  23. Sep 1, 2012
    Being a longtime Castlevania fan helps...I first rented Simon's Quest in 1989 at a long-since closed mom and pop rental store. I loved it. I later found that Simon's Quest is one of the most hated titles in the whole story(see Angry Video Game Nerd on YouTube for details). With that in mind, I have played many and most of the games. This Castlevania entry is one of the best. I lovedBeing a longtime Castlevania fan helps...I first rented Simon's Quest in 1989 at a long-since closed mom and pop rental store. I loved it. I later found that Simon's Quest is one of the most hated titles in the whole story(see Angry Video Game Nerd on YouTube for details). With that in mind, I have played many and most of the games. This Castlevania entry is one of the best. I loved every minute of it. A serious challenge, though. You are not just going to walk right through this game. It takes time, it takes a game plan. It takes patience. It also took a seriously well drafted and developed team to make this game. They clearly and concisely nod at the original sidescroller many times throughout; but they also take the current gaming trends to a new level. Is it a ripoff of so many new and popular titles? No. It is the successor to the new and popular titles. This game knows the score, and it aims to beat it. And beat it, it does. Excellent, flawless gameplay with few complaints. I played this game so long that my fingers hurt the first few days that I had it. I blame that on the addictive and intuitive gameplay. The monsters and skeletons and evil things that are out to end you are fun to encounter, and difficult to overcome. The ability to upgrade your gorgeous Vampire Killer certainly aid you in this. The look of the monsters, the Bosses, the Belmont Master himself, are all utterly enthralling and interesting and completely cool. What could outdo them? Maybe the levels themselves. The levels are an exercise in what kind of beauty and immersion video games can offer, specifically on current-generation consoles. Each time you top a hill, pull yourself up a cliff, the camera changes to give you a lead in, which ends up feeling like a film. There are levels that are certainly and positively like nothing I've ever encountered in a video game. They are so beautiful, and the sound brings an ambience to the natural things you see, or even the reverb-heavy rooms of dark, awful castles you'll walk through. This game knows what it is before you know. It it one step ahead of any one person who has played lots and lots of video games. There are a few issues with the game. Wait....there are issues with every game. Big deal. The issues you'll encounter are few and far between. The game is so involving that by the time you get to sit down and **** and **** on a computer about it, you'll have forgotten what the problem was, because so much of what this game gets right has obscured and dissolved everything you hated about it. I give this game a high rating because I, like so many others have an emotional investment in Castlevania. Do you know why? Because Castlevania games are so F---ing hard. I have spent years cussing them out. I always come back, though, because these games, and this one especially, have such a great story. They have such a fascinating world. A dark age where the people that live in it are not sure if there will ever be a good time to be had. They don't necessarily believe that the wrongs will ever be righted. As a Belmont, in any Castlevania game, you have a unique opportunity to take the destiny of you and your people and change it for the better. This game capitalizes on that. This game gets a Siskel and Ebert TWO THUMBS up. If Roger Ebert had been playing Castlevania as long as I have, he'd be on his website right now telling you the reader that this game does it. This game really pulls it off. It's a sensation to watch, to listen to, to feel, to grow frustrated with. And beating it gave the 9 year old kid from 1989 with Simon's Quest in his hand a real victory of closure. Thanks again, Konami. Expand
  24. Mar 13, 2016
    Skill- and challengewise it's the best modern game I know.

Scenery is outstanding. That's why you can't control the camera. The view is delivered to you just like in a movie.

Characters and story are outstanding. Love every single bit of it.
  25. Oct 8, 2010
    First and foremost this is Castlevania. Are you a fan of Castlevania games? If you are, you will really like this game. If you have not played a castlevania game before then consider this a beautiful gothic-dark fantasy 3rd person action adventure game with vampires and werewolves that you will probably like a lot. This is very far from a generic god of war clone as some will say.
    From a
    From a castlevania fan's point of view this is an amazing game. The visuals are amazing. The characters models and the environment are full of detail, the scenery is always something to stare at and the special effects are colorful and vibrant as they should. There is a huge variety of environments so nothing seems as if you've seen it before. The sound is crystal with an awesome orchestrical soundtrack (typical castlevania quality) and the voice-overs featuring Patrick Stewart and Robert Carlyle speak for themselves. The gameplay is excellent. It combines fighting, platforming, puzzle-solving together and it's varied enough that never bores. The fighting itself is deep and rewarding. No more mindless button mashing. The game is very immersive and features a beautiful story. Another big plus for this game is its length. I don't remember the last time I played a 3rd person action game that lasted up to 20 hours for a single playthrough.
    Quite honestly I don't understand what people want in a game any more. This is a beautiful game apparently made with love and care (cheesy but true) and every attention to detail as possible from people who really like the original castlevania games. Yet you will see reviews talking about how it doesn't feel like a castlevania game (not true IMHO) or how it borrows elements from other games.
    This is value for money and a lot of fun, highly recommended.
  26. Oct 5, 2010
    This elegant entry to the Castlevania book returns to the roots of old school Castlevania by breaking the game up into action-packed stages, allowing the player to return to a given point in the game at any time and complete one of the games many trials and challenges or for the really really early levels, relearn a practical technique necessary for defeating an enemy, not that the gamesThis elegant entry to the Castlevania book returns to the roots of old school Castlevania by breaking the game up into action-packed stages, allowing the player to return to a given point in the game at any time and complete one of the games many trials and challenges or for the really really early levels, relearn a practical technique necessary for defeating an enemy, not that the games journal itself doesn't do a great job of animating or reiterating a technique point in the game.

Graphics and sound most certainly both receive 10 's; the game's jaw-dropping visuals and epic effects combined with the game's poignant musical score create an intense climate for defiling demons, vampires, and lycanthropes alike.

Without going into too much detail, the games story rightfully receives a 10. You are not one of the clandestine Belmont clan by birth, but by choice of namesake, as names in old times were chosen/given. Although more a side-note than a main point, Patrick Stewart's constant narration of the game doesn't EVER get dull, droll, or boring. Ever.

Controls have to receive an 8; The controls are the same thing we've all done before with other Action genre games like God of War, Dante's Inferno, and even Darksiders. There are a few elements that make the game unique, but otherwise, they weren't trying to reinvent the wheel when they thought of how Gabriel would forcefully thrust his cross into the skull of a warg, forcefully dropping it to the ground.

Overall, this game is good. Nay, I may even say great. INCRE-I know, I'm pushing it. But really, action gamers, castlevania fans, and console owners alike will enjoy this beautiful entry into the Castlevania series. TLDR: Like God of War? Dante's Inferno? Tearing things apart? Buy it, now. You'll enjoy it, I promise.
  27. Oct 11, 2010
    It must be stated this genre isnt for everyone. If you hate button mashers that could potentialy cause sore digits through pure button mashing mayhem then this game you should give a wide birth. I hate first person shooters, they last about 4 hours in a single player campaign and to me that is a complete waste of money. games like call of duty and whatnot. I also dislike fighting gamesIt must be stated this genre isnt for everyone. If you hate button mashers that could potentialy cause sore digits through pure button mashing mayhem then this game you should give a wide birth. I hate first person shooters, they last about 4 hours in a single player campaign and to me that is a complete waste of money. games like call of duty and whatnot. I also dislike fighting games like streetfighter where after about 10 minutes its just a huge repeat snorefest. Thats me though, others may think their the best things since sliced bread.
    Ok now that that is over this game is awesome, i love this genre- gow series gives me palputations, and even the dante's inferno, although not of the same calibure is still thoroughly enjoyable. Even conan which was a poor poor mans gow i liked even through its many flaws

gow fans will thoroughly enjoy this one, im a huge kratos fan but i have to say that gabriel is certainly a new contender on the block. No its not original, it has more of a platformy feel than gow- a love child as the result of a gangbang that involved of gow, prince of persia and uncharted. die hard fans of this franchise may gripe about continuity or story - i wouldnt know as ive never played any prior but heres what i think...............
    The graphics arent on par with gow, close, the scenery is very beatiful but the models arent nearly as polished, more puzzles though, which is awesome, i like a little challenge or two thrown in where you have to use that brain, between the button mashing mutilation. The light/dark magic combo and implammentation and refined qte events is where castelvania pulls out of gow's shadow, if ever so slightly in an attempt to take this genre in a new direction and it does work, its fresh. the qte events are simplified- any button will do but theres still a timer, and i do think it works better than gow's. gow is undoubtanbly awesome but there was so much more that could have been added to it to tie up loose ends, where was acchilies, ajax and the last gorgon sister, and apollo and the other titans? they could have added much needed dlc to perfect the game., especially as it was supposed to be the finale.

Castelvania surpasses gow in terms of content and the ability to revisit earlier levels and castelvania has room to expand now upon a sequel, it has its little gliches, the occaisonal freeze, or occaisonal issue where gabriel might get temporarily stuck and theres loading times which gow 3 nipped in the budd but the story i really got roped into- a nice twist on the usual mythos about creatures that go bomp in the night, yes it's borrowed allot from gow but gow borrowed stuff from dantes inferno and shadow of the collosus- gow done for this genre what wow did for mmo's, these titles werent original themselves but created a mould or benchmark for what works and what doesnt in a certain genre and castelvania shouldnt be chastised for using a formula that works and from what i can see the little innovations they have made have worked

all in all i'd say i give this a 9 a superb game gow 3 should have been this long, especially as it was the end of gow3. Cant wait for dlc and the next castelvania game
  28. Oct 5, 2010
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a game which takes you in an amazing adventure, over 20+ hours, taking some elements from great franchises such as Shadow of the Colosus, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.

But the most important fact that you can expect from this Castlevania is that reminds you one hundred percent at the old school games that make this saga be one of the most popular franchises. Starting from Castlevania roots, the classic series, this masterpiece its a must have. Castlevania Lords of Shadow is without doubt, one of the best games this year.
  29. Oct 5, 2010
    This is a gorgeous game visually. The landscapes are breath taking. The gameplay is extremely fun and takes thought in carrying out the combat. The game reminds me a lot of God of War in relation to gameplay. I've been a fan of the castlevania series since the release of super castlevania 4. This game has a lot of the themes found in prior games but is itself completely unlike the olderThis is a gorgeous game visually. The landscapes are breath taking. The gameplay is extremely fun and takes thought in carrying out the combat. The game reminds me a lot of God of War in relation to gameplay. I've been a fan of the castlevania series since the release of super castlevania 4. This game has a lot of the themes found in prior games but is itself completely unlike the older games, I higly recommend the game to castlevania fans and those new to the series. Expand
  30. Jun 28, 2011
    As a God of War fanboy, I don't understand why people are trolling this game for being a 'clone', that's total bulls**t. Games should be judged on their own merits, one day (if not already) everything possible creatively in a game would already have been done, so should everything released afterwards be considered an 'unoriginal clone', NO! If somethings good then it's good regardless ofAs a God of War fanboy, I don't understand why people are trolling this game for being a 'clone', that's total bulls**t. Games should be judged on their own merits, one day (if not already) everything possible creatively in a game would already have been done, so should everything released afterwards be considered an 'unoriginal clone', NO! If somethings good then it's good regardless of it's inspirations or originality. This game was brilliant. 9.5/10. Expand

1. Apr 28, 2011
    The franchise needed this. It's not remotely original and it occasionally threatens to drown under the weight of its own bluster, but it's also clever, challenging, bewilderingly pretty in places and a ripping good yarn.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 24, 2011
    While the fixed-camera isn't always your friend and the platforming relies too much on trial-and-error death, this is still one hell of a tight package. Give Castlevania: Lords of Shadow a chance to sink its fangs into you and you'll be surprised about how exquisite and long lasting its embrace can be. [December 2010 p74]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Fabulous action game with nice riddles and cool fights, but with lacks in camera perspectives.