Costume Quest PlayStation 3

7.4

1. Oct 7, 2011
    A very unique action RPG, great for kids and adults alike. When I first downloaded this game and started out, I was none too impressed. I have to admit I ended up becoming addicted and didn't stop playing until I was almost finished.

Early slow pacing may detour some people, but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded with new abilities and costumes which change the dynamics and will keep you interested.

The controls are easy to pick up and figure out, and the movements you'll need to pull off some of the attacks will come with ease. Combat comes pretty easy too, considering you're limited in attacks based on the costume you're wearing.

The graphics are passable, but I do feel like character voices would've helped this game quite a bit. I grew up in the golden age of RPG / JRPG games so text comes natural, but with this game it just seems like voices could have added to the personality this game has.

Exploring can net you new costumes and abilities and the stages aren't so huge that you'll get lost, but the costumes you'll find never really live up to the effort.

I got this game for free by being a PS+ member, but I think a $10 price tag for this cute little adventure is totally worth the money. It's not a long game by any means and you won't find super diverse combat structure, But what it lacks in length and depth it makes up for in personality and fun factor!
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    Lovely world, child friendly and cute. The gameplay is a bit too simple and repetitive though. And because off a bug the developers never fixed I had to play the game all over again (and I hate that) becaus my savegame was corrupt.
    I did play it over again though and I did have some fun with it.
    I did play it over again though and I did have some fun with it.
    Sidenote: this feels like a game two kids should play together, so why is it completely single player?
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    The most simple thing I can say about this game is this...... It's exactly what you would expect it to be. It's a fun little game with EXTREMELY little combat options (although the combat is still a bit entertaining). No upgrades in the game, you can unlock new costumes but sometimes it's pointless and you'll find yourself using costumes from earlier in the game more than you would use theThe most simple thing I can say about this game is this...... It's exactly what you would expect it to be. It's a fun little game with EXTREMELY little combat options (although the combat is still a bit entertaining). No upgrades in the game, you can unlock new costumes but sometimes it's pointless and you'll find yourself using costumes from earlier in the game more than you would use the "better" costumes you find later in the game because, well, some of the later costumes aren't better. Play the demo, and there it is... the demo is exactly the maximum gameplay in this game. The only point in buying the game would be to continue the story mode and unlock new locations (not that you can explore the locations very much). I would say if you're really in the Halloween mood (which I was when I bought and played this) than this game is probably worth about $10. Expand
  4. Jan 16, 2011
    A very fun, and addicting, game. The game is full of charm, witty dialogue, and whimsy. It appeals to the Halloween-loving kid inside anyone who has, well, ever loved Halloween. I beat the whole game in one sitting which means that A. I found it very enjoyable and B. it's short, but that's alright because the game doesn't wear out its welcome. The one major downside is the simplisticA very fun, and addicting, game. The game is full of charm, witty dialogue, and whimsy. It appeals to the Halloween-loving kid inside anyone who has, well, ever loved Halloween. I beat the whole game in one sitting which means that A. I found it very enjoyable and B. it's short, but that's alright because the game doesn't wear out its welcome. The one major downside is the simplistic combat system and how it can get a bit monotonous after you have been playing a while, but this is spiced up with the different costumes you unlock as you progress through the game. Nowhere else will you have a robot, the Statue of Liberty, and a unicorn join forces to battle the forces of candy-eating evil. If you liked any of Double Fine's other games (Psychonauts, Brutal Legend) chances are you will like this. Collapse

1. Mar 17, 2011
    Costume Quest ultimately fills the same void as the candy filling the kids' buckets: it tastes good, but it's not terribly filling.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Costume Quest is a fun game that will make a lot of people happy with its simplistic style and its witty conversations. The only downside of this game is the lack of variety.
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    Despite all the the good premises, this last game from Tim Schafer proves to be a small project with short and repetitive gameplay.