Crysis 3 PlayStation 3

6.3

1. May 18, 2013
    The most important thing: It's actually playable. The bad news: The skill ceiling is gone in the multiplayer and the singleplayer is even shorter and easier.

The singleplayer is pretty much the same as in Crysis 2. There's a lot less hand helding, but it's a bit more linear at times (Following a silly character, that shouldn't be included in Crysis!). I like that sprinting doesn't require energy and that power jumping and throwing doesn't drain all the energy. It isn't much better though.

The problems of the singleplayer are how easy and short the game is. You can literally run through the campaign within 60-80 minutes. And even if you tried to play the game in the hardest difficulty level, it's still extremely easy. Cloak makes it extremely easy to kill enemies, while bow literally ruins the singleplayer. It would have also been a lot more entertaining, if Crytek tried to show some of the stuff told in the game. For example, showing fights between the rebels and C.E.L.L (The must-have evil corporation, which conquers the world with raisins).

The multiplayer is now a lot more fast paced, and a lot more fun than Crysis 2 with even better map design and interactive enviroment. But just like the singleplayer, it also has many problems. Being a host pretty much means the game is unplayable due to lag compensation and terrible FPS problem. The hit detection isn't good to begin with, but it's ridicolous while being the host. The second problem is the lack of skill ceiling. You can literally be on-par with a better player by picking a specific weapon and perks err modules. It ruins the competitive aspect of the game and it ruins the competitive gameplay unless everyone agrees to use Maneuverability (Increases movement speed and makes the game more entertaining) module only.

If Crytek didn't make the multiplayer easier and rush the singleplayer, the game would have been fantastic. Now it's wasted potential, which screams for improvements. And considering current-gen consoles lack in good FPS games.
  2. Jun 11, 2013
    Very similar combat to Crysis 2 with the only real change being the bow which serves to make combat a bit too easy. Even with the average combat my main complaint is about the visuals. It is very clear to me that the developers put all their effort into making a gorgeous game for the pc but when porting it across to consoles got very lazy. The individually rendered blades of grass areVery similar combat to Crysis 2 with the only real change being the bow which serves to make combat a bit too easy. Even with the average combat my main complaint is about the visuals. It is very clear to me that the developers put all their effort into making a gorgeous game for the pc but when porting it across to consoles got very lazy. The individually rendered blades of grass are impressive up close but from a distance are blocky and lack any texture. There is a complete absence of any dynamic shadows and the character models are only impressive in the cut scenes. I am by no means calling this an ugly game, I am just saying that it is a gorgeous game that never should have made it to consoles as the aging hardware just can't realistically handle the graphical features that the devs looked to port across. Beyond that the AI, in my experience, was pretty poor and the story didn't engage me much at all. A very average gaming experience on consoles. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    OVERALL:
    OVERALL:
    If you feel like taking on an epic conspiracy by a combination of stealth and "ramboesque" action, this game is like a really well crafted action blockbuster with you in that role. Like a combo of cool action films, alien movies, and Metal Gear Solid. The campaign was satisfying in lenght and variation, and was open enough to warrant multiple playthroughs for achievements etc. It gets a 7/10 from me because it's a solid and memorable AAA action/scifi ride, but it lacks the 'must play originality' that higher grades are reserved for.

GRAPHICS:
    While not overly impressive, the visuals are still immersive, and some effects are impressive even in 2013.

GAMEPLAY:
    On the surface, it's a standard cover-based shooter where you run for cover and shoot batches of enemies. But it tweaks the standard gameplay with 'special states' you can be in, where stealth becomes important, or where brutal action becomes important. These are timed states, so you have to economize with every move. It's a cool way to keep the genre fresh. Also, the scenes are fairly open-world, so many times you really have a lot of choice in how to approach the challenges.

SOUND:
    Great sound effects, great music. Voice acting is good.

EXTRAS:
    Lots of statistics about your progress, and collectible audio files and text bits. They're not super exciting, but still make the game feel more immersive. Multiplayer is really well rounded by lots of game modes. Not super active community, but it's there.

BEST BITS:
    The hunting bow works so well and has different empowering ammo. The scripted events are grand-scale and the story is of veery epic proportions. The game can be played with no prior knowledge of the series, and I can't imagine the other entries are better than '3'.

WORST BITS:
    The next destination is always present on the HUD/radar, so you never feel you're just 'there' in the game world.... Story and gameplay has lots of clich├ęs, but still it shows good taste and quality. The companion AI character was entirely scripted, nothing to interact with, so when he/she was there, you were constantly reminded "this is a game".
  4. May 13, 2013
    It's a beautiful game. But in the end it's a run and gun shooter that is bland and takes away the massive open environments found in crysis 2. It was boring and felt like nothing new. I had high hopes for this.
  5. Sep 23, 2013
    the sp is short but fun great stealh big maps only your doing the same thing over and over. the story isnt great eather the voice acting is solid and you got some awesome graphic in this game shooting feels great and fun. the mp is realy cool the hunter mode is realy fun keeps you playing longer the other mode's are just rip ofs of cod only you can be inviseble fore a few second but justthe sp is short but fun great stealh big maps only your doing the same thing over and over. the story isnt great eather the voice acting is solid and you got some awesome graphic in this game shooting feels great and fun. the mp is realy cool the hunter mode is realy fun keeps you playing longer the other mode's are just rip ofs of cod only you can be inviseble fore a few second but just the same leveling and futher a solid game withs a lot of fun action 7.5/10 Expand
  6. May 26, 2013
    I'm starting to lose all hope on multiplayer, today I wasn't able to play for more than 2 minutes without a session migration, and every single migration ended with me getting kicked out the match because "the session was lost", almost 5 f...ng hours trying to play, I guess that says a lot about how much I like crysis multiplayer (when it works).

I haven't had this kind of problems

I haven't had this kind of problems playing crysis2 multiplayer, not that I remember, also I'm able to play KZ3 and MW2 and 3 without this kind of persistent and extremely annoying problems. Even a long time ago, when my connection was not as "fast" as it is today, I used to play Halo 3 multiplayer on my Xbox360 without any problem.

According to my PS3 Network test my NAT is type 2, and the games I mentioned before all of them say my NAT is open or in some rare cases Moderate, but according to Crysis3 most of the time my NAT is "unknown", WTF???

My PS3 is in my router's DMZ, and again, according to my PS3Network Test my UPnP is available....

So what's the problem? the problem is this: apparently Crytek and EA doesn't give a f...k about the game anymore, we need to make some noise to get their attention and to get our problems solved. I started by writing a mail today to crytek, at best, maybe they are going to delete it without reading, but I think we all need to raise our voices, maybe by starting an online petition or something.

There is precedent already, look what happened to sega and ALIEN Colonial Marines...

Let me know what you think guys...

Regarding the campaign, so far so good, I haven't finished yet, but in my opinion the campaign is good enough to play this game, sadly the multiplayer puts mud in the face of the game...

c ya in game, if the game allows it...
  7. Jun 28, 2013
    I don't really know why, but I didn't really enjoy this as much as I wanted to. When finally the game soaked me in, it was all over. It was just to quick. Crysis 2 was better in my opinion, even though it suffered a little bit from its linearity. If you want to play something similar to this, get Resistance 3. Much more fun und it lasts for longer as well.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    Crysis 3 has its moments but repeated over and over and over well you get the point. A+ for graphics and sounds. But what lacks in this edition is the lack of depth in story. Maybe its just me but these FPS are really getting watered down in game play and other elements. Zero memorable moments for me and more of the same with the nano suit which is still the best feature in the CrysisCrysis 3 has its moments but repeated over and over and over well you get the point. A+ for graphics and sounds. But what lacks in this edition is the lack of depth in story. Maybe its just me but these FPS are really getting watered down in game play and other elements. Zero memorable moments for me and more of the same with the nano suit which is still the best feature in the Crysis games. I never felt for the characters in game nor did I have any WOW moments. Despite all my negatives there are still a few positives including, upgradable characteristics and of course the nano suit. This was a simple decision for me as 7/10 was the easy pick. Crysis 3 looses points for quality in the story and lack of innovation in game play and level design. FPS's are beginning to be a joke in this generation of gaming. This one reviewed seems to be a split decision between user reviews. I still enjoy Crysis 2 as the best Crysis game. Collapse
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    The single player was decent but not spectacular. The multiplayer is pretty fun but I don't see a lot of people playing it on PS3. Sometimes I see zero people playing some game modes and I am not sure how long it will last in a few months. For the people complaining the want a gun on gun only mode there is one with no nanosuit although I hate it because the nanosuit powers really makeThe single player was decent but not spectacular. The multiplayer is pretty fun but I don't see a lot of people playing it on PS3. Sometimes I see zero people playing some game modes and I am not sure how long it will last in a few months. For the people complaining the want a gun on gun only mode there is one with no nanosuit although I hate it because the nanosuit powers really make the multiplayer fast and exciting. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    Graphically impressive, but graphics alone don't make a game great. It's the same boring shoot a ton of bad guys that we have done in pretty much every fps.
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    For a game that boasts graphical superiority, Crysis 3 in fact looks the top end of average for a PS3 game(obviously not the case on PC). While this may disappoint, Crysis 3 excels in it gameplay. While I found the single player a little too underwhelming I found the multiplayer a stand out. With fast paced fluid combat that tops anything else before it. Which is strange as they neverFor a game that boasts graphical superiority, Crysis 3 in fact looks the top end of average for a PS3 game(obviously not the case on PC). While this may disappoint, Crysis 3 excels in it gameplay. While I found the single player a little too underwhelming I found the multiplayer a stand out. With fast paced fluid combat that tops anything else before it. Which is strange as they never really mentioned it at any of the previews. However starting off in multiplayer you're likely to find it an unfair battle. Because the guns are way too overpowered. But overall the game is good. Not too different from number 2 though. Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2013
    Crysis 3 has the ability to be really easy with all your abilities at hand, and the fact that the game is quite short means you can breeze through the game without having to think much. Although I enjoyed playing the game a 2nd time around on the hardest difficulty, it still felt like I wasn't being challenged all too often. Gameplay is smooth and the graphics is great, so it's worthCrysis 3 has the ability to be really easy with all your abilities at hand, and the fact that the game is quite short means you can breeze through the game without having to think much. Although I enjoyed playing the game a 2nd time around on the hardest difficulty, it still felt like I wasn't being challenged all too often. Gameplay is smooth and the graphics is great, so it's worth buying at a price drop. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2015
    Unfortuneately this game is not as good as Crysis 2. The story is not as gripping. You end up fighting a lot of humans in the first levels and the sense of urgency is not there. The wider open levels are too hard to spot enemies. The level design is often dark and blurry. I can't tell if I'm getting caught up in the fog of war or if there is just too much on the screen. What is on theUnfortuneately this game is not as good as Crysis 2. The story is not as gripping. You end up fighting a lot of humans in the first levels and the sense of urgency is not there. The wider open levels are too hard to spot enemies. The level design is often dark and blurry. I can't tell if I'm getting caught up in the fog of war or if there is just too much on the screen. What is on the screen is not aliased well. The frame rate is not too high which doesn't help. The developers sort of expect you to have the hacking, camouflage, and armor controls down already, but when it counts, its hard to know whats activated. The enemy AI is quite good. A lot of levels must be beaten by sneaking unfortunately. That no longer feels clever, it feels like cheating. Once you are seen, it can be impossible to pass. Online mode is still more fun, however the players there have a huge advantage. I thought the suit upgrade screens were a bit messy. Overall it looks really detailed and some of the levels are good, but it often devolves into a wide open mess where you can barely see whats shooting you. This is a bit too different from Crysis 2. I almost wish this ran on the Rage engine which is better for FPS. Crysis 3 feels like a mediocre port and mediocre sequel. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2014
    Crysis 2 was one of my favorite games of 2011, so naturally I had pretty high expectations for this one. While overall it is an enjoyable shooter not even the nanosuit powers and large open environments are enough to put it at the top of the FPS pile. Considering this series is known for having the best graphics out there I'm a little disappointed to say that, while gorgeous, the gameCrysis 2 was one of my favorite games of 2011, so naturally I had pretty high expectations for this one. While overall it is an enjoyable shooter not even the nanosuit powers and large open environments are enough to put it at the top of the FPS pile. Considering this series is known for having the best graphics out there I'm a little disappointed to say that, while gorgeous, the game isn't as graphically phenomenal as previous games in the series were. It's still on the high-end of PS3 games, and still puts many other games to shame, but considering that Crysis 2 was the best looking console game ever when it launched I was expecting more. The series doesn't deliver the mind-blowing graphical quality it's known for.

The single-player campaign is a lot of fun. Cloaking and sneaking around your enemies like a Predator is awesome, and busting out the enhanced armor and rolling through enemies like a tank is just as cool. These nanosuit powers and wide open levels allow you to approach situations any way you see fit. It's a type of freedom you don't get in many other FPS games these days. It also has the most easy to follow story in the series, but that doesn't really make it interesting. It's also still bogged down by the confusing narrative of the previous games. Still the campaign is a fun, if brief, experience that will entertain until the credits roll.

Multiplayer is about what you would expect from a modern FPS. The progression system pumps out goodies like new weapons or attachments and such as you level up and it has all the modes you would expect now that COD has dominated the scene. Remarkably the nanosuit powers don't really add anything to the multiplayer experience. They're just sort of there. The real standout of the multiplayer offering is the "Hunter mode," which pits a group of regular cell operatives against nanosuit wearing hunters. Here is about the only time nanosuit powers have any effect, and it's just a heck of a lot of fun to try and survive until time runs out as a cell operative, or hunt down as many players as possible as a nanosuit user. It's addicting and the reason I see players sticking around for.

Overall Crysis 3 offers a very nice package. It might not always impress in this overcrowded military FPS market we have today, but there's enough here to make it worth a look. I'm just disappointed that it didn't blow me away the same way Crysis 2 did. It's an acceptable follow up, and the Hunter mode will make it a great addition to your multiplayer rotation even if the lack of other interesting modes mean it won't stay there for long. My total score for it is a 7.4/10.
  15. Apr 25, 2014
    the singleplayer issn't really good and the multiplayer is just about average.
    Hunter mode can be fun but is simply almost impossible to beat on some of the maps.
    Graphics are good but not good enough to let all the downsides dissapear.
    I would buy this game only for multiplayer because singlepalyer is way too easy just cloak and run past everyone and you're done.
  16. Feb 11, 2014
    This was my first Crysis game, and apparently i should really have started at 1 & 2...naturally. But i'm glad i didn't because that might mean i actually might have become involved in the story, characters etc and then played this one and been let down. I didnt warm to any of the characters, the type of gaming experience was quite good in the 'tactical' sense. though the bow was cool, BOWSThis was my first Crysis game, and apparently i should really have started at 1 & 2...naturally. But i'm glad i didn't because that might mean i actually might have become involved in the story, characters etc and then played this one and been let down. I didnt warm to any of the characters, the type of gaming experience was quite good in the 'tactical' sense. though the bow was cool, BOWS ARE ACTUALLY COOl, this one was ridiculously powerful and toasted all and any. not sure if i like that. especially when you can disappear and splatter enemies right in front of others,all the while hearing tumbleweed...Anyway, aside from that and a few glitches with aiming, the game was ok. I would recommend playing it on super hard because otherwise, its just too easy, especially with the bow and cloak. Buy it for cheap on the PSN. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013

1. Play UK
    Apr 23, 2013
    Stunning to look at, but the experience within its gorgeously rendered environments ultimately lacks substance. [Issue#230, p.76]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    The beautiful and eerie locations give Crysis 3 a great atmosphere. Cowering in the tall grass, while being hunted by bloodthirsty aliens, reminded us of the terrifying raptor-scene from Jurassic Park. Blowing up a giant dam caused a spectacle big enough to make our inner vandal smile. [April 2013, p.80]
  3. Apr 8, 2013
    All-in-all Crysis 3 is a great package, despite burning bright half as long. It may have not been exactly what all the fans wanted, but it does a great job of trying to appease as many as it can without sacrificing too much. Add to this a decent, if not groundbreaking multiplayer suite and you have a solid FPS that is more than worth a look.