Dark Souls II PlayStation 3

8.1

1. Jun 19, 2017
    A continuation of Dark Souls. Another well crafted game from From Software. They are easily making themselves as one of the best companies working today. With challenging combat, intriguing story, and superb bosses this game will last you hours upon hours.
  2. Mar 23, 2017
    Truly a great game, when I started it i foond it to be extremely difficult, but after some hours i beat the first boss, and discovered the rewarding experience of it.
    Although that, many things aren't as memorable or cleverly designed as in the first t¿Dark Souls
    Bosses are kinda boring and the world feels generally lifeless. Lore is not as strong as in the first one, too. Gameplay is
    Gameplay is better than in the first Dark Souls, but AI destroys it and makes it more as a rolling simulator or a "go to enemies back" one.
  3. Mar 14, 2017
    Good game but worst souls. Few things was nice like hex magic or visualization of breaking equipments. Others no, design was mostly boring, only few selected areas like Shrine of Amana has atmosphere, Too westernish in my opinion. And final version of game looks worse than beta (both played on PS3).
  4. Mar 2, 2017
    This was one of my weirdest yet greatest experiences with video games on my PlayStation 3. I bought Dark Souls 2 knowing that it is a very hard game, but I would never knew what was waiting for me. My first 8-10 hours were terrible, it was something new for me, the simplest enemy could kill me, I even thought about regretting my purchase. After two weeks, I played it again and started toThis was one of my weirdest yet greatest experiences with video games on my PlayStation 3. I bought Dark Souls 2 knowing that it is a very hard game, but I would never knew what was waiting for me. My first 8-10 hours were terrible, it was something new for me, the simplest enemy could kill me, I even thought about regretting my purchase. After two weeks, I played it again and started to understand its mechanics, I was dying less frequently and finally I was able to continue with the story.

I like the way Dark Souls 2 tells its story, by separating it between most of the land's NPCs (most of their conversations are optional). The game looks amazing and its gameplay is very good, with a very well done learning curve. If you did not play the previous Souls installments like me, you are going to have a rough time during your first hours, but you will eventually start to advance and understand it. Many people say that this game is not hard, that it is just "demanding", but for me... Dark Souls 2 is hard, demanding, and also unfair. Some bosses are great, but hell you are going to be frustrated after being murdered over and over again by the same boss until you finally beat him. That is why I talked about a weird yet great experience, because it is a very hard game but the satisfaction you get after beating a complicated boss or zone... its unique.

The worst thing about this game are its incoherence between some zones, and you will understand me if you play it. For example, there is a location were you can see in the distance a big windmill, whose top is completely destroyed. After defeating the boss there, you access an elevator and... surprise! Suddenly a whole new lava area appears out of nowhere above the windmill.

I am not a RPG-player but I had a great time with this game. It is not perfect, some bosses are not that creative, there is incoherence between some areas, its online matchmaking system is terrible, but it is very replayable, and I like that a lot. There are also epic moments too, and the hardest bosses are a pain in the ass but, as I said, the satisfaction after beating them is fantastic. I also want to remark that Dark Souls 2 punishes death, getting you more tense than a lot of horror games at the hardest parts. I recommend it to anyone. If you did not play any other previous Souls game, you are going to like it a lot.

- Story completed twice between January 2015 and February 2016. Platinum trophy earned. Played for 120 hours (counting two out of three DLCs).
  5. Feb 17, 2017
    Dark Souls 2 was my first Souls game, so keep that in mind as you read this. As a person who had avoided the Souls series at all costs due to the seemingly rabid fanbase it had acquired over the years, I was skeptical about delving into what was supposedly only for "harcore" gamers. And the marketing campaign certainly didn't help. However, one day I chinned up and went "screw it", andDark Souls 2 was my first Souls game, so keep that in mind as you read this. As a person who had avoided the Souls series at all costs due to the seemingly rabid fanbase it had acquired over the years, I was skeptical about delving into what was supposedly only for "harcore" gamers. And the marketing campaign certainly didn't help. However, one day I chinned up and went "screw it", and picked up Dark Souls 2, and I never went back.

Dark Souls 2 isn't as good as the original Dark Souls, I'll put that right out there just to be completely uncontroversial, however, in and of itself, it is still a fantastic game overall. I could go on and on about how I took my first tentative and frightened steps into the Dark Souls world, facing death at every turn, dying over and over again and wanting to give up all the time. But that's the thing. I never did. I didn't give up, even though at times I wanted to. The game is just as gripping as the first, refusing to let me go and telling me that I'm better than that. It'll gut punch me then say "you can take it", because I damn well could, even when I thought I couldn't, and it took me taking it to prove it, time and time again.

The game's level design is... lacking. They're basically straight lines, let's not kid ourselves, here. But they still do look rather nice. Some places look downright gorgeous, so much so that I didn't really mind the fact that they were just straight gauntlets of enemies. Despite that, Dark Souls definitely did have better level design. Larger, open ended, and shortcuts abound. You won't get that here.

Combat is more refined, that's for sure, for better or for worse. Dark Souls combat worked in a way, and Dark Souls 2's combat works as well, just in a different way. Veterans of the first game will say it feels awkward and someone like me, who went from 2 to 1, will say that Dark Souls's combat feels awkward. However, I do prefer 1's combat to 2. It feels more refined for what it's made for. It works better for what it's built around than 2's is for what it's built around... if that makes any sense. Also, PARRYING IS POSSIBLE IN 1.

Bosses are... forgettable. If I had a dollar for every dude in armor boss in the game, I'd have at least 13 bucks or so. There is just one boss in the main game that I can remember off the top of my head. Even the final boss wasn't anything special. And the boss music is just as forgettable. I don't even hear the boss music in most cases... all cases, because it's just so boring and generic. Dark Souls 1 had amazing boss music that I can just listen to even when I'm on wikia or, oh, I don't know, writing a review for Dark Souls 2 on Metacritic, just to give a purely hypothetical example.

Mechanically the game is fine, save for the two points I'm bringing up the mechanics for, and that's the completely broken hitboxes and the auto-tracking overheads. They say Dark Souls also has terrible hitboxes, but if that's true I didn't notice them nearly as much as I did here. Some enemies will hit you from the next room over a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'd get flattened by a sword the size of a double-decker bus and I'd clearly see the sword a good 3 in-game feet away from me. If you're playing without a shield, God help you. And then there's the auto-tracking overheads, which approximately 100% of enemies, including bosses, have. When an enemy raises their huge impractical stick to whack you with, they will swivel like they're on a turntable in order to hit you while you're strafing, something I though was physically impossible because by then you'd just be performing a horizontal swipe, wouldn't you, turtle knight? But nooooo. It's actually not possible to strafe to avoid attacks in this game like it was in 1. You HAVE to dodge. No exceptions, they will hit you even if they have to spin right round, baby, right round to do it.

The multiplayer is the Souls multiplayer. You know what that's all about, and the story is just as cryptic as ever, and does offer a different take on the Dark Souls lore. However, it's not quite as gripping as the first game's plot was, and I never really found myself engrossed in the lore when a lot of it just felt... forgettable. How forgettable? I'VE FORGOTTEN!

All-in-all, the game is flawed, yes, but did I still have a ton of fun with it? Oh, Lord, yes, I did. For a Souls newbie, this game was the perfect entry point. It introduced me to the world, the combat, the nature of the game itself, the brutal bosses, and though not as complex as Dark Souls in any regard that I can think of off the top of my head or given several hours to come up with one, I'm still grateful to it for what it taught me, and giving me the confidence to go to Dark Souls 1 and give that a try. Without it, I would've never gotten into the Souls series and I would never have gotten to experience some of the best gaming moments I have ever had.
  6. Feb 5, 2017
    Very huge disappointment for a souls game. Graphics aren't well done, changes from the core game were made without giving the community notice of the huge graphical differences, pve story and lore feels nonsensical even for a souls game, characters feel floaty and very different form either previous souls game in a negative way, pvp is corralled to a separate mechanic like arenas forcingVery huge disappointment for a souls game. Graphics aren't well done, changes from the core game were made without giving the community notice of the huge graphical differences, pve story and lore feels nonsensical even for a souls game, characters feel floaty and very different form either previous souls game in a negative way, pvp is corralled to a separate mechanic like arenas forcing duels while invasions are nearly non existent until you hit a certain tier much later in the games cycle, allowing new players an easy playthrough. Soul Memory makes multiplayer extremely frustrating for all involved. Overall a really disappointing game more so a disappointing souls game. if it were called anything else it would be a good game but doesn't meet the standards previous souls games have set. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2016
    I don't think it's as bad as some Souls purists like to say. Sure, the bosses are way too many and way too easy at times, but the levels for the most part still kept me entertained to the end. Also, it was the only Souls game that kept me interested in the PvP side of things, but that might just be me. It's also a really good entry point for those who think the first Dark Souls is tooI don't think it's as bad as some Souls purists like to say. Sure, the bosses are way too many and way too easy at times, but the levels for the most part still kept me entertained to the end. Also, it was the only Souls game that kept me interested in the PvP side of things, but that might just be me. It's also a really good entry point for those who think the first Dark Souls is too brutal in its delivery, as the game is in many ways a lot easier and traditional in its level design. I know of at least one who decided to give the first Dark Souls another whirl after actually beating DS2, so there's that. I found the sunset atmosphere in Majula particuarly pleasing as well, probably the most pleasing hub area in the whole series. A few major flaws, but still a fantastic game. Expand
  8. May 30, 2016
    an amzing game by any tandards and the only reason this is getting a 9 is because i played dark souls 1 and demons souls before this and they were better in my opinion. There is still so much to do and its massive fun once you get into but i found that the little story there is was less interesting and i wa unhappy at not being able to chose my ending even thogh it was possible in the lastan amzing game by any tandards and the only reason this is getting a 9 is because i played dark souls 1 and demons souls before this and they were better in my opinion. There is still so much to do and its massive fun once you get into but i found that the little story there is was less interesting and i wa unhappy at not being able to chose my ending even thogh it was possible in the last 2 games. Once again though there is a not fun area to go through which they have done in all the games through the valley of defilement, Blighttown, and this time the gutter. If you have played all three games you will also know how bad these areas are and also that they are all the same. The main reason i did not enjoy it as the other games is that the bosse where less original and memorable and the game was easier which is the games main appeal. There are some improvements like more ring slots and power stance but theyre not much else compare to what dark souls 1 brought to the table from demons souls that ws the improvement i was hoping Expand
  9. Apr 10, 2016
    Having now beat the game, I can say this is really just a pale imitation of the first. Aping it with no skill or understanding.

I don't want to particularly go into my reasons, so I will say that the Matthewmatosis "Dark Souls 2 Critique" youtube video really sums it up and coalesces my thoughts and raw feelings into something more tangible. Long, but worth the watch, even if you like

"Dark Souls 2 Critique" youtube video really sums it up and coalesces my thoughts and raw feelings into something more tangible. Long, but worth the watch, even if you like the game.

(mild optional boss spoilers)
    Some areas I must mention, that really stood out to me (well or stunk) were the -gauntlets- to the boss fights Ancient Dragon and Smelter Demon 2: This time he's Blue. Oh and Frigid Outskirts.. ugh.
    (mild optional boss spoilers)

Anyway, there are some good ideas in this sequel, pretty areas, but a whole lot of bad, terrible ideas and retreads from the last game. A shame because I find the quality never quite dips to the rush job that the lord souls were in the first game, mostly, but is overall just weak.

I did enjoy the game, I found some areas to be of good quality and I did like some of it.. just really, really hated the bad parts and poor design decisions w/r/t game systems.

I couldn't recommend it to anyone.
  10. Apr 6, 2016
    Dark Souls 2 is probably one of the best games I have played in the last years. It has all the things that made Dark Souls 1 good and improved over it. It has better control mechanics, what made the character more responsive than in the first game. The areas are vast and well developed, very distinct from each other. Some might say the world isn't interconnected as in the first Dark SoulsDark Souls 2 is probably one of the best games I have played in the last years. It has all the things that made Dark Souls 1 good and improved over it. It has better control mechanics, what made the character more responsive than in the first game. The areas are vast and well developed, very distinct from each other. Some might say the world isn't interconnected as in the first Dark Souls but I rather well done and unique areas. There are a lot of bosses and sub bosses all along the game and they never get to the point of being unfair or too easy.

The PvP in the game is great, easily the best of all soul series, including Demon's souls and Bloodborne. It is more friendly to learn and also allows you to start doing it after you are done with the game story, as you don't get locked out of invasions after a boss is dead, that was the case in the first dark souls. The mechanics are vastly improved in the pvp area as well, with more weapon options and spells and a lot of the weapons have special attacks that make them unique. It also features arenas for the players that rather avoid invading/being invaded but still want to engage in pvp.

Its a must have game.
  11. Apr 5, 2016
    The Sequel to one of the Best Action RPG's ever made, Dark Souls II Welcomes you to the ancient kingdom of Drangleic, quite a change of scenery compared to the abandoned Lordran from the previous game. Dark Souls II polishes its gameplay with propper care, and overhauls its user interface in smart ways to help players keep a good eye on its items and weapons. Combat is pretty much the sameThe Sequel to one of the Best Action RPG's ever made, Dark Souls II Welcomes you to the ancient kingdom of Drangleic, quite a change of scenery compared to the abandoned Lordran from the previous game. Dark Souls II polishes its gameplay with propper care, and overhauls its user interface in smart ways to help players keep a good eye on its items and weapons. Combat is pretty much the same as its predecesor, and so it's difficulty.

Boss encounters are still the stars of this game, but i would be lying if i said i did not come across some dissapointing Boss dessign, or easy push-over of a boss from time to time, but the epic scale of the game, and its lengthy ride ultimately left me with a really good impresion. Level design, though, the game feels a little bit more linear than its predecesor: whereas the 1st Dark Souls presented its world in a closed well-thought intricate design, Dark Souls 2's Drangleic is more of an extended and spread out design, with some breaching paths: but nowhere as near as complex and thoght out as the first game.

In the end, Dark Souls II is a worthy succesor to the series, even if its lore is a hit and miss, but stil falls behind the greatness of the 1st game.
  12. Mar 26, 2016
    Not sure why everybody is calling this a true RPG experience.... There is a very weak or non-existent storyline. There is absolutely no immersion and no NPCs, no towns, and no interactions besides fighting. It's ultra linear and while props should be given to how challenging the game is, most of the time it's just a timing thing. You study how the enemy works by dying a few times, thenNot sure why everybody is calling this a true RPG experience.... There is a very weak or non-existent storyline. There is absolutely no immersion and no NPCs, no towns, and no interactions besides fighting. It's ultra linear and while props should be given to how challenging the game is, most of the time it's just a timing thing. You study how the enemy works by dying a few times, then time yourself to dodge, block and strike. Different enemies, different approach. It will be the same from start to finish. Boss fights will take alot of time but feel so satisfied after bringing one down. The combat is not fluid. It's just doesn't feel natural. Your character is like a skeleton. Without any meat. I dunno.... Something like that..

The world is boring and you will feel alone all the time. Online component, almost non-existent besides some hints dropped by other players here and there. No co-op. So forget it, Your character doesn't talk. The music is like it's not there. And the graphics are quite bad to be honest.

Not the worst game I've played. But it's just same same same. From start to finish. Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2, Bloodbourne.... All the same with little to no innovation.. The new Dark Souls 3 is going to be same thing I bet. But hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully. So to sum up, one word - boring.
  13. Jul 13, 2015
    Best game of playstation 3, playing it for more than 160 hours and still enjoy...
    Nice gameplay, when you fight the Pursuer (boss) its easy to make you /quit. (tip!?) xD
  14. Jul 11, 2015
    This game is such a disappointment compared to demons' souls and dark souls. The combat is slow and boring. the colors are very brown and boring.I liked majula it was a very much like the nexus. The healing is slow and the estus flask was pushed aside. I'm not saying this is a bad game its a disappointing game.
  15. Jul 6, 2015
    Let's be honest here. The difficulty level in this game is mostly the clunky combat. And even when you have that done to a fine art of clunkyness, you have to go to your campfire and reset the whole level while you rest your weapon. Yes, your weapon isn't very good for a while so you have to take your time, attack the same enemies, rinse and repeat. It has its moments of satisfaction,Let's be honest here. The difficulty level in this game is mostly the clunky combat. And even when you have that done to a fine art of clunkyness, you have to go to your campfire and reset the whole level while you rest your weapon. Yes, your weapon isn't very good for a while so you have to take your time, attack the same enemies, rinse and repeat. It has its moments of satisfaction, but those time are literally few and far in between. Plus, the Japanese have a very strange sense of story telling. Not bad, just strange. It's like watching one of their commercials. Not a bad game overall, but I just don't have the patience to go through hours of boredom to finish this game. Expand
  16. May 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game gets alot of needless praise. I'm sorry, but, it doesn't deserve it at all. But in short. I played it out of recommendation from good friends, However, what I found was a game that didn't live out to its praise. For one. You get to choose your class and items and whatnot. The item you can start with that claims it can give gradual health-regen, is a FLAT out lie, all it does is increase your max-health slightly. The dual-wielding swordsman (official name that was given in the game escapes me) class has this parry-move. It works less than a 'one-in-a-bluemoon' moment. Making it really pointless. However, my biggest two problems with this game is this: Swordsmen or Knight/Paladin-type players cannot prosper, or let alone, SURVIVE, in this game. And the one I detest the most. It's bosses and enemies. They are created to be blatantly broken. This is the only game in existance to do this. They are made to frustrate the player, and nothing more. The Maw-BastardSwordwielding Wolf. Dark Souls need to take a advice from the .hack conglomerate, EndofEternity, and Endless Frontier. Utilize your unique monster's design to reflect its power. But more importantly, I looked around online for what weapon I would go for in the game. I eventually (initially) sent my sights towards Zweihander. However, I eventually came to realize that spells and archery are the most effective matters of surviving in this game, making the sword-wielders, in essence, unfavorable. And now, I do love a good challenge, but come on, look at the sword choreography. IT's way too hacky, way too outwardly-angled it's too overexxagerated. Look at that new socalled great game, Bloodbourne. It does the same thing. Expand
  17. May 27, 2015
    i consumed this game like a hungry ant and it consumed me whilst hitting me over the head and we both loved each other. its great, i love the changes from ds1, i love the fast travel and the same so satisfying combat and the warm glow of beating a boss. i also sat in awe and watched two other player far beyond my ability beat some bosses for me whilst i cowered in the corner.
  18. May 21, 2015
    I see what they're trying to do here I really do, problem for me is that I've seen it all before. Being a Souls veteran, as veteran as one can be, after putting well over 100 hours into DS1 I just simply fail to see any significant forward progress in DS2. The best way to put is is DS2 lacks the atmosphere of DS1, the exploration is gone and the horror of encountering a new enemy or bossI see what they're trying to do here I really do, problem for me is that I've seen it all before. Being a Souls veteran, as veteran as one can be, after putting well over 100 hours into DS1 I just simply fail to see any significant forward progress in DS2. The best way to put is is DS2 lacks the atmosphere of DS1, the exploration is gone and the horror of encountering a new enemy or boss is lost, because I've seen it all before. Technically DS2 is marginally better than DS1, and so it should be, but these things do not interest me, core gameplay does, problem here is, I've seen it all before. I thought, I thought and I tried to get into DS2 but I couldn't, because I've been there and seen it all before. I did get that same Souls buzz after offing the bosses but sadly its just not enough any more. It is apparent that there is a new genre of game being pioneered by the Souls style of hardcore difficulty and grinding. Its just not for me. Dark Souls 1 was a masterpiece in every way, Dark Souls 2 is like it's younger brother, trying to live up to what big brother achieved. To summarize Dark Souls 2 is ONLY for gamers who play and enjoy this type of game and who're die hard fans of the franchise or new to it and want something to push their limits of gaming. Lastly Dark Souls 2 is NOT too hard, it is about learning patterns and upgrading stats.. Not my idea of enjoyment, any m.ore Expand
  19. May 5, 2015
    Dark Souls 2 is the Greatest RPG ever made. Everything that was wrong with Dark Souls was perfected in the sequel. Tons of bosses, pvp covenants, best looking armor, enhanced dual wielding. 10 out of 10. I probably have more than 500 hours of play time. Music is dope, graphics are sick. If I had to choose one game for the rest of my life, it'd be Dark Souls 2.
  20. Apr 23, 2015
    While it is a good game compared to its predecessors it is a disappoitment. The riposte system is akward and the level design is not anywhere near Dark Souls.
  21. Apr 10, 2015
    To preface, I've played Demon's and Dark souls extensively, have finished both as numerous classes, and would rate them as two of the best games ever made. It's pretty telling that 4 hours into my first game of DaS II, I ejected the disc and started playing Demon's Souls again.

This sequel has nothing that the previous games did that made them great, none of the tone and atmosphere is present, the lucid, elegant design is gone and it looks like a dull, generic, "dark (derp) fantasy" RPG which happens to have the words "Dark Souls" on the box. It's more Dark Souls for the sake of Dark Souls, and it feels like it was made by people who didn't 'get' why the original game(s) were so good. It doesn't feel like a Souls game, and it doesn't really look like one. So as if it could get any more unoriginal, the player is dragged through yet further iterations of the Valley of Defilement/Blighttown and Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins.

Somehow parry/riposte and backstab has been ruined, enemies have the most ridiculous, insulting tracking, even when landing an overhead blow (they can literally follow you 360 degrees), hitboxes are an absolute joke, weapons and armoured characters act as though don't carry any weight and world progression is catastrophically obtuse. A lot of the time I had no idea where I was going, why I was going there, or what was going on. The game is constantly wanting me to guess what it's thinking which results in my most hated solution: boring and systematic elimination of possibilities. I constantly had to refer to a guide because there are so many leaps in logic/impasses I felt stunned into disbelief. Contrast with DaS, which subtly and economically keeps the player informed of where they need to be going next, either by means of a short cutscene, or talking with a certain NPC.

AI is incredibly stupid, especially on NPC summons, who are borderline useless and seem to just crane their necks to watch whatever 30ft tall monster we're fighting smash them into a Drangleic pancake. You could never accuse DeS or DaS of cheap, artificial difficulty, but this game has loads of it, introducing awkward mobs of enemies (even in bossfights) instead of actual challenge. Most bosses are unimaginative and repeated (Gargoyles, Ornstein, Queelag's Scorpion cousin) and some, like the Iron King and Royal Rat Authority verge on cheap bullsh*t. FromSoft obviously heard everyone loved the Ornstein & Smough fight, so every other bossfight is a fu*king tag-team, also, most of them seem to have the exact same moveset. Do not get me started on the latency, lag filled puddle of watery faecal matter that is PVP.

So the first 5-10 hours were most offputting, just awful bland areas and dull enemies. However in places it does become a semi-enjoyable dungeon crawler. Co-op is still good, in fact I had the most fun helping others defeat bosses, except where the game forbids you from dropping your sign because 'f**k you, you're doing this one solo". If it had a different name on the box, reception would be completely different. Dark Souls II does NOTHING better than the first game(s), and gets most of what it should get right, wrong. Bad design, bland, forgettable, most irritating game I played in 2014/15. Thankfully, this one has high resale value, I have no desire to ever touch or even finish it ever again.
  22. Mar 31, 2015
    I've been meaning to re-do a reveiw for this game for a long time.The first time i reviewed it was when i played on PC and, well i don't really regret the score i gave it because it was such a shi**y port .So a few months after i was done with dark souls 2 on PC,i decided to pick up dark souls 1 on the ps3 since i heard it was leaps and bounds above dks 2,and the first time i played it iI've been meaning to re-do a reveiw for this game for a long time.The first time i reviewed it was when i played on PC and, well i don't really regret the score i gave it because it was such a shi**y port .So a few months after i was done with dark souls 2 on PC,i decided to pick up dark souls 1 on the ps3 since i heard it was leaps and bounds above dks 2,and the first time i played it i thought so too,i loved the game,so after a month or two after i finished dark souls 1 i said ''well screw it,i'm going to give dark souls 2 another chance'',and i'm extremely glad i did.Only that this time i was playing on ps3 with online mode,although invaders screwed up my progress a few times it wasn't really an issue i even made a few psn friends while playing coop,it was a joy.The hit detection problems are still an issue though,but having a ps3 controller and not some crappy third party one helps a bit.I even managed to finish the game this time around...4 times.Overall i initially gave it a low score because of the platform i was playing on and my lack of experience with the souls series.(excuse me for any grammatical errors) Expand
  23. Nus
    Mar 24, 2015
    Great game, well worth getting the wholly redone DS2 Remaster for PS4 as it changes the whole game making it so much better which they couldn't before.
  24. Mar 2, 2015
    Thank you Dark Souls II and Dark Souls for one of the most amazing RPG experiences i'll probably ever play!...The frame rate issues are on both games (ps3) but that's not enough reason to rate bad score for it, because the gameplay, the bosses, the locations, the items, the story... can't be ignored!
  25. Feb 16, 2015
    Awesome game! Tons of fun and the best way to get into the souls series. Exciting game-play interesting environments and enemies. An awesome game through and through.
  26. Feb 5, 2015
    I'm already getting nostalgic emotions from playing this game since my PS3 broke months ago. Any game that gave me that much of an experience and currently affects me that emotionally, without a doubt deserves a 10/10 from me.
  27. Jan 30, 2015
    If you guys would remove this please i thought i clicked on the first game i have not played this 1 ill get back to you if i ever get it connect the dots lalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  28. Jan 28, 2015
    Alright so let's get this done. Is the game good? Yes. Is it better than DS1? Well that's your overall view on it and depends on you. So far from a gameplay view they improved many mechanics and smoothed gameplay ones, story is still pretty interesting sticking to the "You are an undead, forever without hope" as you helplessly try to find answers that may or may not be there. Another thingAlright so let's get this done. Is the game good? Yes. Is it better than DS1? Well that's your overall view on it and depends on you. So far from a gameplay view they improved many mechanics and smoothed gameplay ones, story is still pretty interesting sticking to the "You are an undead, forever without hope" as you helplessly try to find answers that may or may not be there. Another thing is the difficulty, however this is difficult to say it is difficult or not, if you've played Demon's souls than everything is pretty easy from that point, so basically if you've played other souls games than you already know how to approach this one at this point, still people still have difficulty and the community is also there to add more to this with their invasions.

Even with all of these in mind the game may not be as good as DS1 in many eyes, as DS2 changes many things that was loved in DS1 such as going in circles finding interesting shortcuts and exploring. DS2 decides to be very different by being semi-linear (you get to choose how to go about this but you'll still end up in the same place) and many areas not really being creative and the ones that are don't necessarily make sense.

Even with these in mind though the game is great! Not fantastic but still good. Add the DLCs and the game can hold up a torch with DS1. If you are a fan of RPGs than it's up to you to get this game, as it is one of the best and still challenging out there.
  29. Dec 26, 2014
    This game would be good if it was not enraging to the point where it is no longer fun. The game consists of more trial and error than any game should. OP enemies (Not bosses, regular enemies that can kill you in 2 hits). Unfair combat, and by that I mean you are dropped into the game with crappy weapons and some of the first enemies you encounter can destroy you in 2 hits while your weaponThis game would be good if it was not enraging to the point where it is no longer fun. The game consists of more trial and error than any game should. OP enemies (Not bosses, regular enemies that can kill you in 2 hits). Unfair combat, and by that I mean you are dropped into the game with crappy weapons and some of the first enemies you encounter can destroy you in 2 hits while your weapon barely scratches them. You will end up saying "Screw it" and sprinting past all the enemies just to get to the first boss fight, in which you will not get any souls and now cant buy anything because you must kill enemies to get souls, and souls are used as currency. The first boss will overwhelm you with the fact that like the standard enemies, can kill you in 2 hits, along with the fact that at times you will not be able to dodge his attacks. I give this game a bad review because of the fact that the good RPG elements, decent combat and atmosphere, is ruined by the fact that you may be yelling at the screen within the first 10 minutes. By all means, if that is what you kind of games you like. Expand
  30. Dec 1, 2014
    Update: Having now played the predecessor, I found much of the lore, visuals, and even level concepts to be reused in DSII. It makes way less sense in terms of world design, and everything that seemed carefully thought out in Dark Souls seems thrown into II as "hey this idea could be pretty cool too!". Ultimately, Dark Souls is a more artful game. For this, I subtract one point from theUpdate: Having now played the predecessor, I found much of the lore, visuals, and even level concepts to be reused in DSII. It makes way less sense in terms of world design, and everything that seemed carefully thought out in Dark Souls seems thrown into II as "hey this idea could be pretty cool too!". Ultimately, Dark Souls is a more artful game. For this, I subtract one point from the score.

( written July 2014: )
    Even after nearly 50 hours, there were still a few optional areas to beat, plus multiplayer battles. That kind of longevity is impressive in such an intense action game. The areas are varied and offers many surprises. The game rarely moves focus from the action, however, and there are loads of action games for PS3, so I'm not sure DS2 is a standout. In terms of artwork and scope, it's phenomenal, but the story and the non-action gameplay could have been more expertly crafted and brought more into focus.

One optional but significant puzzle was so unintuitive that I feel inclined to subtract a whole point for it. The whole non-combat part exists in the background and only pops up when you interact with the environment, or when the story takes a subtle turn. The game ended abruptly, beautifully but without much closure. There's a Youtube critique done by 'Matthewmatosis' which explains very well how DS2 is far from perfect. It contains spoilers, so I'm just gonna tell you that there are lots of little things, and that the story doesn't really make any sense apart from the very broad strokes. Oh yeah, and the bosses are similar, and pretty much all enemies require the same approach in melee, no strategies or variations required. Just dodge, strike and repeat, with an occasional healing item thrown in.

Overall, the game is a pretty, bombastic, fantastic spectacle. But is that all we should expect from visual media, eye candy?... When it could be a problem-simulator, a laboratory, a true playground. Instead, it forces you through hours of slashing and bashing on similar objects. It pretends to be more serious and deeper than a CoD game, but in the end, it plays on the same strengths, which is to impress with spectacle. There could be a deep message in there, as well as some playful and curious mechanics. Maybe that stuff is just reserved for other genres
  31. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is my Game of the year, so i rate it 10/10. Not because its perfect, its not. Some of its features are actually worse than they were in DS1. Even Lords of the fallen has some thing made better. But still this is the game i played and enjoyed the most this year. I had over 200 hours in it, i finished game 3 times on pS3 and once on pc (and i rarely replay games at all) and forThis game is my Game of the year, so i rate it 10/10. Not because its perfect, its not. Some of its features are actually worse than they were in DS1. Even Lords of the fallen has some thing made better. But still this is the game i played and enjoyed the most this year. I had over 200 hours in it, i finished game 3 times on pS3 and once on pc (and i rarely replay games at all) and for most of the time it was a lot of fun. Combat, exploration, atmosphere- everything is superb here.
    Anyway- great addition to great series. In fact i think Souls is one of the best RPG series ever created.
  32. Nov 11, 2014
    I'm new to the Souls games, Dark Souls 2 being the first of which I played, mostly because I couldn't get a hold of Demon's Souls or Dark Souls beforehand.

The first 2 hours were unforgiving. I died many times and, foolishly, used too many Human Effgies. As time progressed I began to understand the game and found it to be, strangely, rewarding. I'm a huge fan of RPG's and this is a savage beast. I didn't even know how to level up which didn't help. WHAT A NOOB!!!

I haven't finished the game yet, so this review may seem premature, but I'm confident in the belief that it is a game for gamers. The only complaints I have are the inability to sell items.
  33. Nov 4, 2014
    Don*`t be fooled by the title. Dark Souls 2 is not in the same league as Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1 – it`s no longer a game of dark beauty and finesse – but rather a wannabe sequel that doesn`t really get the essence of the former games.
    In Demon and Dark Souls you were never really stuck, as you could always farm more souls and eventually become strong enough to bruteforce your way through. You didn`t have to do it that way, you could clear it with skill or use a combination – the important bit here though– it was up to you. Unfortunately the developers decided to change that, so you can only “farm” monsters for a set number of turns – then they disappear, unless you make the game harder ofc. Unlike the former games where you`d progress a little bit every time and eventually beat the level - Dark Souls 2 robs you of that “triumph” or “revenge kill” – because – reasons.
    The lock on is worse than ever and if you`re a magic user, the range is set to whatever gets your opponent within striking range, so sometimes it`s 5 meters, other time`s it`s longer or shorter – what a joke.
    The game seems obsessed with your demise, so much so there`s even a monument that displays the numbers of deaths you`ve suffered so far. If you die a lot, then that`s good – right. If you die twice as much as Demon souls, then this game is twice as good – right? The combat is also severely unbalanced. You either destroy the enemy without a scratch or you`re likely dead – There´s no middle ground in this game. Dark Souls 2 desperately wants to be as cool as the former games, but doesn`t understand what made the former games modern classics.
    You`ve been warned.
  34. JMD
    Oct 30, 2014
    I see below someone describing the game as "easily one of the greatest RPGs of the generation" when the game isn't even the best game in the series. In fact, its the least good of the three.

I should follow that by saying that Dark Souls II is a good game. If your expectations were low, it will meet them. But as a fan of the series I was disappointed by how little it innovated upon the franchise. It seems pointless to praise the game as its virtually just a carbon copy of Dark Souls with a new locale and new enemies to fight. I can't give the game any NEW praise that I haven't already given to the previous two entries which are both superior.

The game ultimately fails in three key areas.
    1 - The graphics that were displayed prior to the game's release are not the graphics you will see in the game. There are countless side-by-side screenshots that depict this. It's something that's becoming more and more common sadly in the industry, but in my opinion this was the worst case of it ever. I noticed it from the very moment the game started.
    2 - The bosses are all serviceable but are nothing we haven't seen before. They are by far the weakest bunch in the series and I struggle to name one from the game that I would put amongst the Top 10 Bosses throughout the series.
    3 - I wore the same piece of armour the entire game. I really have nothing to add other than that. This pissed me off so much. Part of an RPG is finding loot and equipping it. A piece of armour I found very early in the game was statistically unbeatable for my character class throughout the whole game. This deprived of a huge slice of fun from the first two games.

Dark Souls II is a good game. If you liked the first two, buy it. But I completely scoff at it's Metacritic of 91. I really don't understand how it achieved that score. If we are to go by Metascore, it is the highest of the three games. And yet it's user score is the lowest of the three games. Why the disparity? Perhaps the hardcore fans were the ones that noticed the minor flaws, and not the reviewers.
  35. Oct 24, 2014
    To save you some time I'll start with this: if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy the first Dark Souls and, to a lesser extent, the spiritual progenitor of Demon's Souls you will probably feel the same way about Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is a little less punishing, a little less dreaery and slightly more upbeat at times but is the same basic experience of learning through trial and error.

In

In terms of presentation Dark Souls 2 falls under the good, not technically great category much like its two predecessors. The world is rich and fun to look at with varying landscapes that range from jagged cliffs overlooking a sea to half destroyed castles to cavernous harbors. The enemies, especially the bosses, are a delight to see during combat. The sound effects are for the most part well done, and the voice acting is, again, mostly well done. The cast of characters in the world are well acted but occasionally speaking to an NPC they don't quite sound right. The sound effects are the same, weighty and well done, but occasionally just won't sound right, such as when you hit your weapon against a wall. While stylistically the graphics are well done, they aren't technically amazing.

But the Dark Souls games aren't about the technical prowess of the graphics or the sound effects, they are about the sharp, responsive combat and hostile world that it takes place in. I have never encountered a game with the same level of responsiveness to what you want to do, or more accurately what you press on the controller. The responsiveness makes the game feel fair and balanced despite the challenge the world presents. Enemies are powerful and varied, forcing you to learn to adapt to each one as you encounter them. While the enemies are challenging, none of them are hard enough to prove frustrating once you learn how to deal with them. The game does a good job of feeling difficult while rarely crossing over into feeling unfair, DLC aside. At a certain point you learn how to beat the enemies, you have the responsiveness in the controls to beat them, and enemies are generally not dense enough for you to be swarmed if you're smart. The game is challenging, but gives you all the tools to succeed if you learn as you go.

There are a good variety of weapons, armors and spells at your disposal to figure out how you want to play the game. To me, this is the games greatest strength. You can play how you want and how fits you. There are a variety of weapons that all act differently, various armors and shields with different bonuses and a magic system broken into three categories. There is the more standard magical spell fair, miracles which are lightning based attacks or support spells powered by faith instead of intelligence and hexes which are black magic spells that focus on death and destruction. As you progress you can gain more powerful legendary, unique items and spells and upgrade those and the more basic and legendary items and spells. There are also various stones that you are able to imbue items with later on in the game that allow those items to gain certain properties. From the interactions I've had with various people online everyone ends up playing differently, with their own gear and combat style preferences

Online is well done, but very atypically. You are able to both help or hinder other players by putting down soapstone markings to allow players to summon you to help them in combat or you are able to invade the worlds of other players in an attempt to kill them and steal their souls. Invasions are a duel style combat where you can possibly steal whatever souls the other player has on them. Cooperation is rewarded through gaining souls alongside the person you are helping, which can be a great way to gather a lot of souls quickly by helping another player slay bosses. The interactions are combat focused with little communication unless you send a message outside the game to the other person which is possible since you see their username. The communications are generally friendly ("Hey, thanks for helping me") but can occasionally be nasty, but it's nothing a block user can't solve. Online has been thinning out, as it does with each of these games, as time passes so it's not as easy to interact with other players online.

The story is fairly barebones and mostly communicated by speaking to NPC's and reading descriptions, as the series always has been, and somewhere along the line the story dissipates. You start off with a vague task of returning back to the world you know, but along the way that is lost in "doing stuff" to try to survive and progress. By the end of the game the goal you had is different from what you do and really there is little cohesion to the plot, though you probably won't notice.

The game has great replayability. After each game you can start over with the game changing a little, with slight changes in the world and carrying over gear and progress. The game is an immense value, worth a definite buy.
  36. Oct 14, 2014
    Challenging but fair game, which has unique online features, and high replay value.

I had no experience from previous souls-titles, so this concept was really fresh for me. Game forces player to think for strategies to engage enemies, and rushing leads often to death. This is one of many things in the game, that may be surprising for beginners of genre. So prepare to play this game with lots of spare time, and patience.

But each time when you defeat a challenging boss,obtain new abilities/gear, or discover new area, the rewarding feeling makes you return to this game many times.

Lengthy +40h campaign has many different areas, countless bosses, and different enemy types and secrets to keep the adventure fresh for the duration of whole journey.

Few reasons why i can't give this game rating of 10, are following:

-Music
    It's only played during boss fights and very few areas of game. Of course, lack of music may keep you at the edge of action and exploration, but I seriously think, that added music would enhance the atmosphere and world of Drangleic.

-Story
    There really aren't any cutscenes which involve dialogue or action to tell the story for players, and your only option is to keep reading the lore of your equipment, from inventory menu, which is really a shame, because this unique world could easily have been the next middle-earth or Hogwarts.

-Graphics
    Game may look really pale when compared to another titles released at the same year.

-Lack of options for game settings
    If you want help from other players in online mode, prepare yourself for being invaded by other players. It would've been nice to have an option to only have co-op, and turn of PVP. And even if you're playing this game offline, you can't actually pause the game. This may be frustrating when you're in middle of fight, and your phone rings, but the action can't be paused, and you may end up dying, and being sent to last checkpoint, because lack of pause-function.
  37. Oct 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is easily one of the greatest games of all time, the combat system is great. Very smooth and easy to control. The difficulty of this game really adds to the experience of playing because once you defeat the final boss. You feel very accomplished, then you see the ending. The ending was a really good ending because of the way the story played out. You end up at the The Throne of Want, without really knowing why. To link the flame so the curse will stop for a period of time, only to happen again. Overall this game is AMAZING. Expand
  38. Oct 6, 2014
    THE game for adults to play without feeling like an over-grown kid messing about with toys. Same goes for the rest of the series and hopefully upcoming Bloodborne!
  39. Sep 27, 2014
    When you pick up any Dark Souls games, make sure your girlfriend and your friends know you will be absent from any social engagement for at least a month. That's how addictive the game is. The graphics have improved but really who cares? We've had so much hype on "pretty" to look at games with not substance lately. Dark Souls delivers in the core game play and mechanics. Its been coined "AWhen you pick up any Dark Souls games, make sure your girlfriend and your friends know you will be absent from any social engagement for at least a month. That's how addictive the game is. The graphics have improved but really who cares? We've had so much hype on "pretty" to look at games with not substance lately. Dark Souls delivers in the core game play and mechanics. Its been coined "A Game for Gamers' and that's exactly what it is. The best to date RPG and delivers an adrenaline rush comparable to FPS games. The first time I've felt challenged in this genre and first game I've bought on multiple Platforms 10/10

The next big thing for FromSoftware is to venture into a MMORPG with this gameplay and you will snatch all the constituency from WoW, Skyrim & the very promising Dragon Age.
  40. Sep 25, 2014
    They are all tens, but playing this made me realize that demons souls is a 12. Hardcore, and penalizing, but so we'll integrated that it becomes part of the game. The atmosphere is like nothing else you've ever played. If you haven't played demons souls play it first, but the entire series is worth it.
  41. Aug 21, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a fantastic game but is starting to morph out of the Demon's Souls concept and trending towards more tradition rpg gaming. It seems that Dark Souls is commercializing away from its original fans -This game reminds me of the original Diablo in a lot of ways....and that was a great game so I can understand some love hate depending what types of rpgs you like. What I wouldDark Souls 2 is a fantastic game but is starting to morph out of the Demon's Souls concept and trending towards more tradition rpg gaming. It seems that Dark Souls is commercializing away from its original fans -This game reminds me of the original Diablo in a lot of ways....and that was a great game so I can understand some love hate depending what types of rpgs you like. What I would like to say is that the Dark Souls series must evolve into something different, there is only so much combat to learn then the game would get stale so I do like many of the directions the developers took. In Dark Souls 2 there are a lot of changes to keep players from cheating and leveling up and backstab criticals seem fixed. I like a lot of the ways they are keeping cheating minimized: lore is really improving (as per players requests) and now we see various choices in using limited looted treasures. Farming has been hindered by having enemies only respawn so many times. Although this kills the toughness eventually I think its a good idea because you have only a limited amount of chance at certain rare drops then. I like the randomness the drops make and therefore this would cause different player builds which translates to more variety pvp. What is terrible in this game however is the programming. I really should not say terrible but the open world is fantastic, absolutely but some areas the enemies can hit through walls ect and that totally kills all immersion instantly. Target lock is still extremely broken. Magic is overpowed PvE but dreadfully weak PvP. Coop and invasions still reign in this game and many of the invasion aspects are fun however I find the spawn areas of the invasions are rediculously too close to yourself. If you are a magic user you have no time to change anything. As I said PvP and PvE is completely different and so invasions create a broken gaming concept without some time to change equipment or spells. The largest dislike of this game I have is the game is made harder by so much cheap and cheesy attacks and enemy ambushes it is almost comical. This ruins immersion as well and this game is dreadfully planned to cheese hard. Thankfully the large scope of the world, the puzzles, the loot and variety of enemies keeps it interesting enough to continue. Another broken area is summoning a friend, I don't know why but its harder to hook up with a friend, I presume so you can't cheat but then thats why people buy games I'd rather co-op than play with randoms so this is a problem. Cheating shouldn't be proactive in this sense, the game should be built to have everything remain fair and give the players tools how to deal with known cheats. For example the game already has stones to leave worlds and also send back phantoms so the problems of Dark Souls 2 on 1's were only broken because how close you spawned. Better spawn points giving the players choice to battle or not would have fixed this cheat through player intelligence. Two different types of White Stones in this game are therefore bad developer choices to limit friends playing together because of their own speculative natures and thats it So they killed a good concept because players are not using their stones but only because the spawn areas were to close, in sum bad developmental oversights.. Ok all said this is a fabulous game but it is heading in a different direction than Demon's souls. It is no longer linear and cruel but fair, it is more open and cheesy with lesser combat and more puzzling and randomness. One other thing I really don't like is this game is catering to a co-op initiative sure some people like this others don't want it. Choices!!! The bosses should all be beatable in every level alone some don't seem like they will be in ng+ or ng++. I think co-op bosses should be left to DLC as I want to own this game and play it 5 years from now as well and maybe that kills the 5th playthough for me. All in all a change I think had to happen and the result is still good but please lets fix the sloppy programming. Where could Dark Souls 3 go? How about bring back the theif and if he kills players he can win loots and if he loses he could drop loots and theifs job is to sell stuff to venders and accumilate score. How about mages and sorceries improve and they find their spells through puzzling into new hidden areas. How about mages find areas through teleportation that other classes without those spells cant get to and the only way in for other classes is invasion? And knights jobs could stay the same. You know if they improve lore and improve coventants and separate the immerive role of the characters you choose this game could be so much better...anyway, luv the game but still has areas to improve. Expand
  42. Aug 18, 2014
    Changing my review based on the hype train that I was on before.. I beat the game many many times.
    I will say that it isn't nearly as good as the first Dark Souls in my opinion..
    The world itself is really linear and some of which does not make sense ( elevator up to a volcano) It lacks the creative excellence of the world design from Dark Souls 1.. Dark Souls 1s world was expertly
    I will say that it isn't nearly as good as the first Dark Souls in my opinion..

It lacks the creative excellence of the world design from Dark Souls 1.. Dark Souls 1s world was expertly crafted so everything interconnected with each other and actually comparing the map viewer of these two games, you can clearly see that Dark Souls 1 was well thought out while Dark Souls 2 was not.

The bosses do not compare to the first Dark Souls either. Most bosses are boring to fight, you can circle almost every boss without consequence . All bosses pretty well have the same move-set if you pay attention.

Hitboxes are worse in this game than the first, and a game that is centered around its combat it has to be good, and in Dark Souls. Also, enemies spin/track you without moving their feet, it looks pretty bad.

The game was just fan-service, I am also tired of people talking about difficulty as if that was the thing that made the series good... NO!.. Veterans of the series who watched interviews from Miyazaki would know that the series was never suppose to be about its difficulty, it was about overcoming a challenge and then being rewarded for it. They were very challenging games, but Dark Souls 2 tries too hard to be difficult just for the sake of being difficult. It is not a difficult game but you can clearly see that they tried to make it hard just by adding hoards of enemies that you have to fight, and most people will not fight them with melee so they cheese the hell out of these enemies, making it boring...
    In Dark Souls 1 you could cheese everything too, but you actually wanted to fight stuff int hat game, not like Dark Souls 2 where you either cheese an enemy or you just run passed everything.

For people who like to manage their soul level ( which was a big part of Dark Souls and Demon Souls) are forced to level up or try and run from all enemies in the game because they do not want to increase their soul memory. For these people there is little to no reason to fight any of the enemies, or even help people with bosses.
    They broke their own mechanic of hollowing, you can now have a ring that if you die, you will not lose anything, Dark SOuls had this too but once it broke it was gone forever, Dark Souls 2 you could just keep repairing the ring which most people do and thus ruining the effigy system.

There is no fear of losing your souls once you get that ring and as I said before, most people will use it , as you can tell because every time I invade someone you hear their ring break when they die.

The duel wielding/ power stance weapons are very cool and I'm glad they finally implemented it.

Now, don;t get me wrong it is still a good game but Dark Souls 2 lost its "soul" and I can go on and on about the faults of this game, but I will leave it there. I still like the game but it just feels like it has hit casual status( not talking a but difficulty)

--- I will note that this has nothing to do with "Rose tinted glasses" I played Demon Souls 1st and I enjoyed the first Dark Souls slightly better. I fail to see how anyone can think Dark Souls 2 is better. Dark Souls 2 has more content but half the quality, and I take quality over quantity any day..
  43. Aug 11, 2014
    The souls series never fails to wow me. These games are in a class all their own and while I would say this game is the weakest of the series so far I still really enjoyed. Beautiful worlds, punishing but fair gameplay, and hours of depth.

The introduction of immediate fast travel took away from the experience of a souls game. I never felt like I was on the verge of loosing everything that I worked for. When you can jump between sections so easily right off the bat you can cash in your souls at any time and the pressure is off. I would love to see another souls game with this little change reverted back to its origins.
  44. Aug 5, 2014
    Thanks to this game, every other game out there looks amateurish and easy. Thanks to this game, I have experience the most amazing world of the souls series ever and the gameplay is to die for (pun intended). Sure you die A LOT, but death is used as a learning process and to think of different ways in order to win against your opponents. I love this game but at the same time hate it,Thanks to this game, every other game out there looks amateurish and easy. Thanks to this game, I have experience the most amazing world of the souls series ever and the gameplay is to die for (pun intended). Sure you die A LOT, but death is used as a learning process and to think of different ways in order to win against your opponents. I love this game but at the same time hate it, because once you play Dark Souls 2 or any of the souls series every other game will look easy and feel disappointing. Expand
  45. Aug 2, 2014
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    Ambiance of this game is amazing, as well as all surprises that are awaiting you when exploring the world.
    To start out, this game is a worthy successor in the DeS/DaS series.
    There have been some (very good) evolutions in the gameplay mechanic too, especially when it comes to dual wielding and jumping compared to DaS1. The whole player summoning/invading experience has also been streamlined to perfection, nearly no technical glitches (as was unfortunately the case in Demon's Souls).
    Only thing I did not favor was the story and characters. You meet characters but there's not really a lot of evolution in them through the storyline compared to previous games (Ostrava/Praise the Sun). And for the story, half the time you come out of an area beating up enemies but having no clue on the background of the area or the enemy. This was already the case in DaS1 but here's area for improvement.
    But still, it's a relatively minor note, the game is well worth the time you spend into it, so highly recommended.
  46. Aug 1, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is more of the first game when it comes to combat and feature; this adds more to different build through each playthrough as well as adding changes to new game plus. The narrative on the other on the hand is quiet shallow compare to the first. The game's story is hidden within item descriptions and NPC dialogue. It's a great way to tell a narrative but you won't understand theDark Souls 2 is more of the first game when it comes to combat and feature; this adds more to different build through each playthrough as well as adding changes to new game plus. The narrative on the other on the hand is quiet shallow compare to the first. The game's story is hidden within item descriptions and NPC dialogue. It's a great way to tell a narrative but you won't understand the settle hints the second game applies if you haven't played the first installment. Dark Souls 2 is also the easiest in the series and I suggest it for dark souls fans and new players. Expand
  47. Jul 30, 2014
    I enjoy the game, but I extremely dislike the spell (Hex) Affinity. It's extremely overpowered now, as i have over 2,000 health (2,533) and I get one-shot by it. If only FromSoftware would nerf it...
  48. Jul 13, 2014
    Absolutely interesting, fun, worth the $60 (or $119 I paid for the statue edition). I've played this series to death, a huge fan of Demon and Dark Souls. Does it live up to it's predecessors? Unfortunately no. The story just isn't as intriguing, the changes are odd, and overall not as memorable. I don't have any interest in playing it over again, however, should it be ported to the PS4 IAbsolutely interesting, fun, worth the $60 (or $119 I paid for the statue edition). I've played this series to death, a huge fan of Demon and Dark Souls. Does it live up to it's predecessors? Unfortunately no. The story just isn't as intriguing, the changes are odd, and overall not as memorable. I don't have any interest in playing it over again, however, should it be ported to the PS4 I may give it another chance but it would need a graphics improvement (dark lighting - should have been in the PC version for bloody sake) and better gameplay mechanics/features. As a die hard fan of this series I can only grant it sadly a 7/10. However, it is still worth playing and experiencing for the exploration thrills and RPG challenges, despite the frustrating char/gear build and battle headaches. Expand
  49. Jul 8, 2014
    Not a Souls game, very easy, caters to watered down PVP. Magic is overpowered, shields are useless, melee weapons pointless, parries have no consistency. And, unlimited health potions (life gems). RIP souls. (and no it isn't a good game just for merit, that's like praising the Star Wars prequals).
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    First i'd like to say that i am a huge fan of the Soul's games. I've played demon souls for over 200 hours of gameplay atleast and dark souls 2 over 300 hours. Demon souls had a story that drawed you in and made you feel alone and scared for every turn you make some dragon may swoop by and burn you to crisps, just to have you restart over in soul form etc.
    Now dark souls was easy in
    Now dark souls was easy in comparison to demon souls as now pvp is a huge integrated part of defeating bosses etc.. Now we have this acclaimed sequel to dark souls that is... Sorry was suppose to have new gen graphics and lighting system, then release comes around and we find out that it looks just as good as dark souls 1 if not a little worse. With that being said i also think its gameplay is very unfair even for a souls game, but thats the least important thing that has failed in this sequel. What realy turned me off was its plain story that trys hard to get you into it but falls realy flat. Ohh well story may fail but multiplayer has to be suberb right? wrong!!! I sold dark souls 2 after 100 hours of gameplay after i got tired of magic spammers and realy got pissed when i got stunlocked with a dagger in heavy armor!! Ofc theres many other pvp and multiplayer flaws out there but i aint gonna list them all or i'll be here all day.
    Well heres the flaws in this game, average graphics compared to its advertised new gen graphics, poor-average story and lots of pvp flaws. I'll rate this 6.5 as a not worth buying at full retail price, just buy it used and suck some hours out of it as it has no lasting appeal unless you like broken pvp and a at best average story. I promise renting it for a week will get you all the fun you'll get out of this sequel.
  51. Jun 25, 2014
    A good game, not the greatest, but good.
    The start is a little rocky, you quickly learn that Dark Souls 2 is entirely linear and some areas can't be accessed early in the game. That's fine and dandy though annoying when compared to Dark Souls and Demon Souls which allowed the player to choose the path they wanted to take.
    As you can tell by the rating though, it isn't all bad, or even
    A good game, not the greatest, but good.

As you can tell by the rating though, it isn't all bad, or even close. The game maintains its difficulty from the previous two incarnations by FromSoft even though at times to a more casual gamer, some deaths seem cheap. The new menu layout is a huge upgrade from DS/DkS, however I personally find it a bit less twitchy.

I don't really want to give much away, but I will say having friends for this game will make it a lot more enjoyable. If you can, do yourself a favor and get the limited edition of the game for some extra equipment that will save you a lot of frustration at the beginning of Dark Souls 2.

Overall, my ratings are
    Gameplay: 7/10 I never had the issues most people seemed to, but it still felt a bit clunky on PS3
    Graphics: 9/10 The game looks really good compared to its predecessors
    Sound: 6/10
    Fun: 9/10 If you have friends, 6/10 if you don't
    Replayability: 2/10 I can't see playing this game again, beating it once alone is enough for me
  52. Jun 25, 2014
    Takes a little of each from the first 2 entries (yes, 2) and puts them together to form another gem. It's essentially just more of the same with more **** to do. It is certainly more accessible, but not from a difficulty standpoint. Weapon crafting, side quests, bonfire hopping are all made "easier" to accommodate all the **** that didn't buy the first ones because they only got a 8.9Takes a little of each from the first 2 entries (yes, 2) and puts them together to form another gem. It's essentially just more of the same with more **** to do. It is certainly more accessible, but not from a difficulty standpoint. Weapon crafting, side quests, bonfire hopping are all made "easier" to accommodate all the **** that didn't buy the first ones because they only got a 8.9 on Metacritic instead of a 9.1. Now go back and start at Demon's Souls if this is your first stop into the trilogy. Expand
  53. Jun 18, 2014
    Honestly, the game is not a good as the previous one, but it's still a fantastic game in its own right! Dark Souls 2 could have been something just as if not more special than Dark Souls 1 was, but I believe that due to the limited hardware they were working on, FROM SOFTWARE had to cut corners wherever possible which leads to some seemingly sloppy level design. The all too frequentHonestly, the game is not a good as the previous one, but it's still a fantastic game in its own right! Dark Souls 2 could have been something just as if not more special than Dark Souls 1 was, but I believe that due to the limited hardware they were working on, FROM SOFTWARE had to cut corners wherever possible which leads to some seemingly sloppy level design. The all too frequent bonfires that can be warped to at any time make the game far too easy, and soul memory based match making plagues the online... It feels like the game has too many half baked, or poorly executed, design problems. Expand
  54. Jun 17, 2014
    A great successor to Dark souls 1, Dark souls 2 improved upon an already great game. its still as tough as ever(in a good way) and the story had a bit more narrative but still had a piece it together approach to it. the visuals are stunning as always and the combat which is the heart and soul of the game is refined slightly making it even better. i love the new system they put in placeA great successor to Dark souls 1, Dark souls 2 improved upon an already great game. its still as tough as ever(in a good way) and the story had a bit more narrative but still had a piece it together approach to it. the visuals are stunning as always and the combat which is the heart and soul of the game is refined slightly making it even better. i love the new system they put in place with the estus flasks and the inventory IMO a better design finding shards and bone dust to build up your flask uses. the amount of content in this game is incredible ive out over 90 Hrs into this game and am still playing it. their is a lot to do and the NG+ is definitely worth a run through. the only thing i thought was better in DS 1 was the bosses had more scale to them and fights with them felt a little more grander then they did in this game and also there's not as much map continuity in DS2. in 1 it felt abit more connected with all the short cuts and different ways to enter an area. overall Dark souls 2 is a great sequel to DS 1....prepare to die again! Expand
  55. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is terrible. is even more bad than the first one, abysmal gameplay, i will not recommend this garbage, please stay away, the graphics look like a ps2 game, this game is a disaster, the combat is very REPETITIVE, the enemies attack and moves always in similar ways, people who like this game are 40 years old virgins who can't even beat it because it's extremely difficulty, thisThis game is terrible. is even more bad than the first one, abysmal gameplay, i will not recommend this garbage, please stay away, the graphics look like a ps2 game, this game is a disaster, the combat is very REPETITIVE, the enemies attack and moves always in similar ways, people who like this game are 40 years old virgins who can't even beat it because it's extremely difficulty, this game is not even worth try it.
    One of the worst games of 2014.
  56. May 31, 2014
    Re-review: Dark Souls 2 is by far the best in terms of content and PvP but where it suffers (at the cost of the soul of the entire series) is in the enemies. Basically they are the same and to compensate for this the devs have added more of them, twisting the original Souls formula from 'fair because you learn' to 'overwhelming until you break through the wall or run away'.

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 is not a worthy sequel to the series and the hardship is not worth the time.

=========
  57. May 30, 2014
    From had some pretty high expectations to live up to with this title and they delivered. I'm a big fan of the series and this game is a very worthwhile addition. I was a little worried they would dumb the game down too much but this very much preserves the spirit of the previous titles. For me these games are all about perserverance and discovery. I never play with a walkthough theFrom had some pretty high expectations to live up to with this title and they delivered. I'm a big fan of the series and this game is a very worthwhile addition. I was a little worried they would dumb the game down too much but this very much preserves the spirit of the previous titles. For me these games are all about perserverance and discovery. I never play with a walkthough the first time through and I always miss some major things, but it just makes the next playthrough that much more enjoyable.

And there is a lot to play here. The game is massive and easily took me over 100 hours to complete. I think the amount of content here more than makes up for any lack of connectivity between locations. That was one of the major strenghts of Dark Souls but I think From just went in a different direction here and stressed additional content over an interconnected level design. I think the game looks fantastic so I was surprised to see so many complaining about the graphics.

Most of the changes that From made for DaS 2 are a welcome addition. Dual Wielding was really nice touch and improves what was far and away the best action combat system in the RPG genre (although I wish they had put that in the tutorial because I was well over halfway though my playthrough before I even noticed you could attack with both weapons simulateously). Some of the bosses are a little lackluster (probably because there are more of them) but this game for sure has it's share of memorable and terrifying monsters - in fact that is one of the more noticable improvements over dark. souls where I felt they just recycled a bunch of bosses from Demons Souls. I've always been more of a PVE player but the multiplayer is a lot more fun for me now. The nerfed the backstab which was really infuriating in Dark Souls and I get invaded far less often in Dark Souls2. There are plenty of opportunities for PvP and it is more now covenant driven which is a direction I agree with completely. The voice acting and music are once again top notch.

There are a few changes which I didn't care for. The major one was the ease with which you can warp between bonfires. I can see some need for it because the world is really large and there are less connection points, but they easily could have limited this in some way. I think you lose a little bit of the immersion when you can just warp anywhere you want at any time. The lore and mystery is a bit lacking compared to the prior games but let's face it - this series is pretty heavy on obsurity and story has never been a huge component of the game as it is more about piecing things together on your own. That element still remains but has been toned down.

Demons Souls is still my personal favorite in the series but Darks Souls 2 is a very close second. I hope they add on a DLC pack at some point because I will probably still be playing this by the time it comes around.
  58. May 29, 2014
    You probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take offYou probably already know how notorious this franchise is for being hard. True, Dark Souls is not very enjoyable to ppl who can only handle cakewalk or even moderate difficulty. Bosses will most likely kill you in 1 to 3 hits depending on how tanky you are (and no that doesnt mean they only hit once each attack. take a full combo and you are dead), and lesser foes are also able to take off significant proportions of your health with their attacks. If you cannot utilize invincibility frames that comes with your dodge, Dark Souls 2 will most likely be punishing to you. But it is for the same reason that Dark Souls 2 gives so much sense of accomplishment when you do overcome the difficulty.
    Dark Souls 2 introduces a comprehensive customization system. Not only can you equip each piece of armor and weapon (left and right hand) separately, but there is actually a reason for ppl to try different setup rather than taking the biggest swords: heavy equipments make you slow moving and your stamina regen slower, and vice versa. There is a whopping amount of weapon types in the game, all of which are versatile depending on what play style you use. Dark Souls 2 also introduces the ability to respec skill points, which makes it possible to try out every weapon and play style.
    Dark Souls 2 is made to last. A single playthrough will easily take 100 to 150 hours depending how good you are at the game and how much farming you do, and because the gameplay is solid and can vary greatly with the use of different setups, there is actually reason to replay the campaign again in NG+ and I do recommend you do so should you go that far.
    Online play is integrated into the game, as you can find soapstones in the world other players have put down that you can interact with to summon them to fight with or against you.
    The world of Dark Souls 2 is frankly... quite dark and sufficiently interesting. The kingdom of Drangleic loses all its glory and tranquility as the undead curse falls upon this land. Map designs are pretty good, and the world feels alive.
    A few things Dark Souls 2 doesnt do so well in are its plot (it doesnt have much) and the mediocre character models and graphics. Other than that Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game every hardcore gamer must play.
  59. May 27, 2014
    This game is good, but it's not without its problems. The game has some serious audio issues, menu issues, and issues rendering players (host/invader) from afar. A great game no doubt and worth the price of admission, but having played it for 200+ hours I feel like it should have been a next gen title.
  60. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a epic game ! Dark souls 2 is a game RPG-ACTION with Darkness theme , the best thing in the game is a insane difficulty presented in all game! Expand
  61. May 25, 2014
    Having now spent over 100 hours in Dark Souls 2 I can firmly say that it is inferior to it's two predecessors in most every way imaginable. The map is atrocious, the enemies attacks hit you when you aren't near them, the online is terrible with the addition of soul memory. Two notable features which are neat on the outside looking in being NG+ having new items and Soul Vessels (the abilityHaving now spent over 100 hours in Dark Souls 2 I can firmly say that it is inferior to it's two predecessors in most every way imaginable. The map is atrocious, the enemies attacks hit you when you aren't near them, the online is terrible with the addition of soul memory. Two notable features which are neat on the outside looking in being NG+ having new items and Soul Vessels (the ability to reset stats) actually kill any hopes for multiple PvP builds which you could easily do in the previous games. Some of the bosses are okay but some are just an enemy in a small church. In NG+ the bosses apparently get harder however it appears that instead of changing the boss From just added more enemies in the boss area and called it a day. The story and overall atmosphere, which made Demon's and Dark Souls unique, is all but missing in this. Dark Souls 2 isn't a bad game, don't get the wrong idea I have had some amount of fun playing this but also frustration when I die from the poor hitboxes as well. If you've played the other games I recommend giving this one a try otherwise you should play the others and ignore this one. Expand
  62. May 24, 2014
    The change of staff for Dark Souls II and the idea of allowing the series to become more "accessible" for a larger audience has caused Dark Souls II to be an absolute mess. The original Dark Souls was also a mess, though for subjective reasons, things which I didn't enjoy about the game. The mess that Dark Souls II happens to be, it's a mess caused by bad programming, contradicting story,The change of staff for Dark Souls II and the idea of allowing the series to become more "accessible" for a larger audience has caused Dark Souls II to be an absolute mess. The original Dark Souls was also a mess, though for subjective reasons, things which I didn't enjoy about the game. The mess that Dark Souls II happens to be, it's a mess caused by bad programming, contradicting story, and idiotic decisions for the online play. Dark Souls II does have something going for it, though...and that's the music. Everything was rushed and made horribly for an overall disappointing and unsatisfying experience. Expand
  63. May 23, 2014
    The game is mainly really good and i've spent a good 200 hours on it. I am a huge Souls fan and spent a lot of hours on Demon's Souls but mainly Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition. The problem is that i can't seem to get the same feeling with Dark souls II as i did with the first two first games. The story doesn't seem as rich and mysterious and in my opinion the pvp is not as good as DkSThe game is mainly really good and i've spent a good 200 hours on it. I am a huge Souls fan and spent a lot of hours on Demon's Souls but mainly Dark Souls: Prepare to die edition. The problem is that i can't seem to get the same feeling with Dark souls II as i did with the first two first games. The story doesn't seem as rich and mysterious and in my opinion the pvp is not as good as DkS 1 as many unintentional "features" like reverse roll and other things that made the pvp more interesting in the first game have been removed. I think that much of this "feeling"/ atmosphere issue is due to the game not being directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki anymore. Ultimately i can't see how this game could get higher rating than Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls so i can't give it over an 8. Overall i'd still say that it's probably one of the best RPGs that will be released this year. Expand
  64. May 21, 2014
    Better than the previous Souls games in basically every way. Controls are more responsive, but you might not notice when it comes to dodging if you don't raise your agility stat. Melee is still king but magic and especially faith casters are more viable.
  65. May 18, 2014
    I've played and completed Demon's Souls three times and Dark Souls twice, so I was looking foward to Dark Souls 2 a lot. I have been very disappointed with what From Software have the nerve to call a sequel.
    It's clear that most of Froms' staff had been put onto working on the new PS4 ip and the unlucky few have been left to throw out this unimaginative, bland and lacklustre excuse. Where are the huge majestic monsters? Where are the haunting imaginative locales? Why am I bored? Yes BORED!
    The environments are plain. There is a massive over-use of the same scenery...another burning body boulder anyone? And the regular enemies are just humanoids in armour over and over again. Also, most of the scenery looks like a good effort on a PS2.
    Two words explain this pitiful mess. Rush Job.
    Pull your finger out From Software, this is too good a franchise to get lazy with. Other software houses will make their own versions and we'll all go elsewhere.
  66. May 17, 2014
    The feeling when you waste 50 hard earned euros on a masochistic nightmare.
    If you're a hardcore gamer that plays games to escape reality, enjoy a good story and fun game play, don't get this ....abomination.
    The feeling when you waste 50 hard earned euros on a masochistic nightmare.
    story is lacking, game play is unrewarding and only meant for 14year olds that have time to spend 60h per fight and find that funny, graphics are 2006 (well not surprising when it's played on a console)
  67. May 14, 2014
    The TRUE GAMERS GAME. Not for gamers that are NOT true gamers. I love the idea that if you want to find out who is a true gamer and who is not amongst your friends and co workers, this is the game to seperate the fake from the real, the boys from the girls. Fight or flight,
  68. May 12, 2014
    Thought I'd give this a try, despite how much I disliked Demon's Souls. This game suffers from the same problem for me; too much repetition. While most seem to enjoy this about the game, as see it as a challenge, I find it boring. You die often, and upon dying you have the repeat the same 30+mins of game play over and over again (though while fewer HP). Aside from this, there isn't muchThought I'd give this a try, despite how much I disliked Demon's Souls. This game suffers from the same problem for me; too much repetition. While most seem to enjoy this about the game, as see it as a challenge, I find it boring. You die often, and upon dying you have the repeat the same 30+mins of game play over and over again (though while fewer HP). Aside from this, there isn't much going for the game. The story is minimal/uninteresting, and there isn't anything particularly special about the game aside from it's difficultly. That being said, if you enjoyed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, you'll likely love this too. Expand
  69. May 11, 2014
    If you suck at video games, this will make you better at them. I'm not saying this from experience, but I became a more hardcore gamer after playing this game for 11 hours. But if you chuck controllers at T.V screens a lot, you shouldn't get it.
  70. May 8, 2014
    When I first heard of Demon's Souls I was drawn in by the difficulty. What I discovered was an interesting world and a game that punished for mistakes, but was never impossible. Dark Souls took that gameplay and placed in a larger world with lore that was always up for speculation.

Dark Souls II is no different. You are placed into the world with no real understanding of who you are. You are told you have been cursed to die over and over again and that there is potentially a way to reverse this if you manage to find the most powerful souls in Drangleic.

The gameplay is mostly identical to the original Dark Souls with a few additions such as duel wielding. The quick travel feature is available after you find the first two bonfires, and you are able to teleport between any of the bonfires in the game. This is a welcome change to those of us who have nightmares of backtracking through Blighttown in DS1.

Bosses and terrifying enemies are the bread and butter of gameplay in a Souls game and this game does not disappoint. Giant mummy guards and statue-men pepper the landscape leading to a boss that will kill you again and again, until you learn it's patterns and stop making mistakes.

The environments are varied and pretty great. From giant castles to poison filled valleys, each area evokes a sense of dread, followed by excitement as the exploration begins. The only gripe I have with the environment in this game is the way the areas in the game are connected. Most of them do not make sense and take away from the world as a whole. Again I make a comparison with DS1, which had a large world with clever pathways and shortcuts connecting them all together.

The multiplayer in the Souls games is unique and there a few tweaks this time around. Matchmaking is based on Soul Memory (the number of souls you have collected throughout your entire playtime) instead of the actual Soul Level. this is alright to a certain extent as you will be matched with people who have put in about the same amount of time in the game as yourself. This does effect fight clubs however as most people will have maxed out characters instead of specialized builds that stick around level 150 or so. Coop is not effected so much though and covenants play a larger role in finding other players with the same multiplayer interests as yourself.

My few issues aside, this game is amazing. It is not fair to compare this game to the masterpiece that is the original Dark Souls, but it cannot be helped. This doesn't take away from the fact that this is a great game that Souls and RPG fans alike can enjoy. I am on NG++ and i plan on putting many more hours in before I've had my fill.
  71. May 6, 2014
    A very pretty and great game, gameplay wise. Yet it has one issue- it just doesn't FEEL like a Souls game. It is hard to describe. The bosses are either too easy or generic. Voice acting is great, the hidden walls and secrets are wonderful. Music is great. It was really just the bosses and some technological issues, like graphics and bad hitboxes on some weapons. PVP has someA very pretty and great game, gameplay wise. Yet it has one issue- it just doesn't FEEL like a Souls game. It is hard to describe. The bosses are either too easy or generic. Voice acting is great, the hidden walls and secrets are wonderful. Music is great. It was really just the bosses and some technological issues, like graphics and bad hitboxes on some weapons. PVP has some issues with it's structuring. Otherwise an enjoyable game that I would recommend to any Souls fan as it improves on some gameplay and lore. Also REALLY make you regret some decisions. Trust me. Expand
  72. May 6, 2014
    Literally the most overrated game ever. The combat system is a clunky, simplistic throwback to the bad old days, and it controls like a sloth on quaaludes. The drab graphics look like they're from 1998. The idea that this game and Arkham City share the same score is a sick joke.
  73. UCA
    May 5, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  74. May 4, 2014
    Awesome game ,not great pc port . You will die and learn ,this games makes winning or passing a difficult place an amazing feeling that everybody should feel. If you get angry at call of duty or anything at all this is not a game for you (Btw call of duty sucks)
  75. Apr 30, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing,Dark Souls 2 is everything I could ever ask for in a video game. There's always something new to discover, even long after the final boss is defeated, and the PvP is deep and rewarding. But what really grabs me is the absolute freedom, lore and very kingdom of Drangleic. It's so rich with depth, beauty and darkness that your journey through each massive zone will be quiet, harrowing, rewarding and ultimately blissful as you leave your mark and become a part of the world yourself. Expand
  76. Apr 30, 2014
    While most games tend to hold your hand throughout the game, this game release its grip and leaves you to journey out the beautifully designed world. Most games wouldn't do it as it seems a risk, but this game delivers a once in a lifetime experience or true hardcore gaming.
  77. Apr 29, 2014
    From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two,From Software took all the good things about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and combined them to make one of the best sequels they possibly could. This time around, instant fast travel and despawning enemies can allow the game to feel more approachable to play, while still maintaining the game on a fairly challenging level. Although this entry didn't feel nearly as hard as the first two, this has a steadier framerate, more fluent controls, more emotionally involved storyline, and a world that is roughly twice the size of Dark Souls 1. Although the main path of Dark Souls 2 felt around the same length, I think it just happened to have more optional areas and boss fights than that of 1.
    One thing that I really appreciated in this one was that New Game+ wasn't forced upon me immediately after the end credits were finished. It actually gives you the option to continue exploring the rest of the game and let's you decide whether or not you ever want to start New Game+ by visiting Majula's bonfire, I felt this game had way more freedom of choice because of this.
    But this game is still far from perfect. I've reported a few hit detection and auto-lock problems across my so-far 87 hours of total playtime. My biggest complaint was that there were a couple specific areas that forced me into PvP matchmaking, when all I want to do is explore the whole world in peace. I don't mind at all getting invaded at anytime, but when the game sets areas to automatically trigger invasions or send me to some other player's world the second I set foot in that particular area, I consider that a flawed design choice: forced multiplayer.
    Other than those issues, I think From Software hit all the right notes with this one. I know a lot of gamers complained about the graphics downgrade. First of all, this isn't next gen, and this still at least looks a little better than the last entry. And second of all, graphics alone have never been what made video games great. It's the gameplay. This is a fantastic game. It is head and shoulders above at least 90% of all the other games out on the market right now. It's a serious contender for a 2014 Game of the Year winner.

9/10 - Amazing
  78. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is difficult, hell, maybe even too difficult-IF you don't enjoy a decent challenge. If you have the brain the size of a pea and the courage of a lemming, quit while your ahead. This game will break your balls like your mother broke those eggs over the bowl when she made you eggs in the morning. You will die countless, countless, countless times and you will be filled with a bloodThis game is difficult, hell, maybe even too difficult-IF you don't enjoy a decent challenge. If you have the brain the size of a pea and the courage of a lemming, quit while your ahead. This game will break your balls like your mother broke those eggs over the bowl when she made you eggs in the morning. You will die countless, countless, countless times and you will be filled with a blood boiling rage that will spill out into your social life. You will lash out at your friends and family due your anger at the game, which can alienate you from life itself from the beginning! If your going to play this game, then I suggest becoming so sick that no one will want to be near you for at-least a week in a half(which is how long it took me to beat the game purposefully trying to speed through it) When you have achieved that, then prepare yourself for an incredibly rocky ride filled with loss, anger, depression, feelings of a overwhelming need to sob and a need to crawl up into a ball in the corner. However, be prepared for the INCREDIBLY OVERWHELMING sense of accomplishment and pride for when you conquer that boss fight, or that corridor your trapped in, ect. If you are willing to undertake this challenge, then this game is for you. If not, then avoid the game like the plague. Expand
  79. Apr 27, 2014
    Dark souls is back. Only more dark soulsier. Now, I'm a big fan of dark souls, but forgive me if I think that a game should explain the mechanics of how it works itself, rather than require you to resort to an internet search to figure out what something means. And no, I am not talking about how to select a weapon, or a spell. They are explained, but why should I join "covenant A" or swapDark souls is back. Only more dark soulsier. Now, I'm a big fan of dark souls, but forgive me if I think that a game should explain the mechanics of how it works itself, rather than require you to resort to an internet search to figure out what something means. And no, I am not talking about how to select a weapon, or a spell. They are explained, but why should I join "covenant A" or swap it to "covenant B", what the hell do these covenants do?
    But that particular flaw pales in comparison to the "invasion" mechanic. Always a good idea, always implemented like a lib dem promise on tuition fees.
    Its a **** ****
    Being invaded illustrates entirely how developers fail to realise what utter **** the general public are. If there is some sort of "balance" mechanism involved, then whoever implemented it needs to retrain for another profession. Be prepared to be ganked by people with gear that outranks yours, or to be multiply invaded so that one can engage you whislt the other backstabs you and kills you in one hit. And, unfortunately, whilst you could avoid all that poorly balanced multiplayer bollocks in the previous games, this time you cannot avoid it by staying hollow.
    Dark souls is a perfect illustration of a fantastic mechanic, in need of a good game. Dark Souls nailed it, by forcing a poorly implemented multiplayer on what should be a fantastic single player experience, Dark Souls II is a step back.
  80. Apr 27, 2014
    I'm writing this for the PC version only.
    Well the game is really good actually (like a 8-9).
    The 4 is because just like the first dark souls, the creators made the LAZIEST PC PORT EVER... AGAIN. The sad truth is given about a day, + the right tools, and even I with my mediocre self taught scripting skills could make this game work better for pc. What's your malfunction Dark Souls team?
  81. Apr 25, 2014
    Quite possibly video game perfection. I actually started a meta-critic account to write this short review because I felt it necessary. It should rank one of the greatest video games of all time and I know what I'm talking about. I've been gaming since it pretty much began. (1986) Just when you think the game is wrapping up there's more and more and more and more. Sure its not aQuite possibly video game perfection. I actually started a meta-critic account to write this short review because I felt it necessary. It should rank one of the greatest video games of all time and I know what I'm talking about. I've been gaming since it pretty much began. (1986) Just when you think the game is wrapping up there's more and more and more and more. Sure its not a technological improvement over the previous in the series, however this one just gives you MORE, with a good story as well. Not one of those bled to death, read this, read that, cut scene here, cut scene there storyline. It doesn't FORCE you to care, because quite frankly, I don't. i think nearly all video game story lines are corny, have bad voice acting, and force upon you like a bad outbreak of herpes. Dark souls is the rare exception, an anti-story if you will, like a strange dream. Buy this game, and don't cry if you die lots, get stuck, etc etc etc. It just means you suck at video games and need to polish up your skills and thought patterns. Beat the game WITHOUT looking online at the wiki, trust me, its a rewarding experience. Then, when you are done, go to the wiki and see all that you missed, I guarantee you, there will be lots. Expand
  82. Apr 25, 2014
    Dark Souls II is difficult. In fact, it's probably the most difficult game I've ever played in my life, but I enjoyed every second of it.

While off-putting at first, Dark Souls II pulls you in with it's exacting gameplay, brutal difficulty and rewarding bosses, every time I finally defeated a beautifully designed boss I felt I actually accomplished something, and I can't say that for most games I've played.

One of my only gripes with the game is that at times it is difficult to know where to go next, while I respect that they don't explain much I wish that they would have at least given me a general direction of where to go next.

In my opinion, this is my first Game Of The Year contender for 2014.
  83. Apr 25, 2014
    There is nothing memorable about this title. The worlds and characters that intrigued me in the first two games, Demon's and Dark Souls, are flat and uninteresting in Dark Souls 2. While some fans are still saying "Praise the sun!," a reference to Solaire of Astora from the previous Souls title, you probably won't hear anything being repeated for characters in this title. This game playsThere is nothing memorable about this title. The worlds and characters that intrigued me in the first two games, Demon's and Dark Souls, are flat and uninteresting in Dark Souls 2. While some fans are still saying "Praise the sun!," a reference to Solaire of Astora from the previous Souls title, you probably won't hear anything being repeated for characters in this title. This game plays more like devolved fan fiction, rather than trying to stand on it's own as an interesting new world.

There are plenty of other problems with this title: Lazy level design, illogical item progression, boring bosses (some that are nearly cut and paste from the previous Souls game), a story that really can't stand on it's own, and many other issues.

The game is okay for a short while, but after three builds and one NG+, I called it quits with Dark Souls 2. I'm back to playing the first two games.
  84. Apr 24, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is much like its predecessors, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. However this game allows for a little more exploration than the others. Constantly looking around every corner and trying to find hidden goodies is always a fun experience. The backstabbing mechanic has been changed too so there is a little more variety in the animations. Not much has changed really.

While the

While the enemies and bosses were not all that challenging, the difficulty from this game derives from poor programming and clunky controls. I often find myself doing actions around half a second to a few seconds later after pushing the button. Can't say how many times I've seen enemies fire projectiles through walls or just slash through them and hit the player, too much to count is for sure. The thing stopping my arrows from hitting the enemy isn't their shields or armor, no it's invisible walls. Locking on to enemies can be a chore too, I find myself dying from the game forcing me to stop locking on and making me take all attacks in the back.

The graphics in this game are nothing special. As a matter of fact, the textures are headache inducing and the same pattern is repeated over and over. Look at a wall and you will see the same rock pattern go on forever. This is used too often in the game and makes it look poorly made.

Despite all these flaws, the game is still somehow entertaining. I enjoy fighting things up close and defending with my shield. When the controls do as I want, it is very fun. It's also exciting to get new gear and upgrade. Character progression always feels satisfying and rewarding.

Overall, this is a fun game for those who aren't reckless and aren't too serious. If you are serious and get frustrated easily, do not play this. If you enjoy exploring and pimping out your character with all kinds of new gear, this game should be right up your alley.
  85. Apr 23, 2014
    False Advertising!
    Im not a graphic whore but From Software has marketed the game with lighting being a major graphical improvement. Torches have been hyped up to be a new and impactful mechanic of the game, but the release version has lost a lot of the immersive experience and it is a lot easier to see the path ahead and enemies on it.
    This no other than false advertising. If they had
    False Advertising!
    This no other than false advertising. If they had to cut corners to improve the FPS requirement for the consoles, they should have been humble and released an official statement about it before release. Not doing so is misleading to their customers and especially for those that pre-ordered the game under the impression that their new next-gen lighting engine would be a part of the game as previously demonstrated.
  86. Apr 22, 2014
    There's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect lineThere's no real way to describe this game. Sure, I could tell you that it's amazingly rewarding and deserves every single award it gets. I could tell you to give this game a chance because it's an amazing in-depth rpg that doesn't lose sight of what it's goals are. But truth is, Dark Souls 2 isn't like other RPGs, in fact, calling that is an injustice. Dark souls 2 finds a perfect line between "barely scratching the surface," and "way too in-depth, maybe I should give up." It has a structured learning curve, and honestly, anyone could pick it up and understand exactly what is happening. It keeps everything simple, it has fantasy elements, there's no doubt, but it doesn't take it over the top creating it's own languages and having back stories and characters that need introductions and full books. Instead, the character don't really matter. You are the character, and your story is waiting. Go ahead, stumble, but learn from your mistakes and appreciate this game like I do. Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2014
    Amazing, amazing game. I'm in love with Demon Souls, Dark Souls,and now Dark Souls 2. What I find is that although I liked the level design of Dark Souls 1 more, I actually love the soul of dark souls 2. It's difficult to explain - but its as if Dark Souls and Demon Souls had a baby and named it Dark Souls 2. If you played them all you'll understand where I'm coming from. I beat theAmazing, amazing game. I'm in love with Demon Souls, Dark Souls,and now Dark Souls 2. What I find is that although I liked the level design of Dark Souls 1 more, I actually love the soul of dark souls 2. It's difficult to explain - but its as if Dark Souls and Demon Souls had a baby and named it Dark Souls 2. If you played them all you'll understand where I'm coming from. I beat the game in around 70 hours (I don't summon help, and not the best), and I"m already starting again to see what I missed in the first run.

Some complain of the controls. I think they expected to parry and defend themselves like they did in Dark Souls 1. But enemies are new, and have different movements. I had problems at first too - but learned their movements and can parry easily now.

Some are complaining of the graphics. There are bland moments of darkness, but then your eyes are treated to beautiful scenery. You can't have the sweet without the sour.

Anyways - I have about 100 hours logged in and I can easily see playing 100 hours more.
  88. Apr 21, 2014
    I kept waiting for moments like:

-the Asylum Demon dropping down minutes after starting the gane -the drake landing in front of you in the undead berg -the taurus demon running at you -barely making it to the first blacksmith -queelag appears -ringing both bells -iron golem -TARKUS TARKUS TARKUUUUUUUUUUUUUS -the rafters in anor londo -the archers -bulk and skull -Sif's intro
    I kept waiting for moments like:

-the Asylum Demon dropping down minutes after starting the gane
    -the drake landing in front of you in the undead berg
    -the taurus demon running at you
    -barely making it to the first blacksmith
    -queelag appears
    -ringing both bells
    -iron golem
    -TARKUS TARKUS TARKUUUUUUUUUUUUUS
    -the rafters in anor londo
    -the archers
    -bulk and skull
    -Sif's intro
    -fighting artorious
    -kalameet
    -getting your souls back after being rused by Seath
    -gwyn's fight and the music

I could go on, but nothing grabbed me in 2 like those moments, I kept waiting for something big to happen but it never did. For me, there was a lot more content in 2, but a lot less substance.
  89. Apr 19, 2014
    Let me open by saying that Dark Souls II is a plenty good game, so take what you hear here with a grain of salt. Firstly the game plays as you would expect having played the souls series before, and is a challenging game in many respects. However, there are problems I feel must be addressed. Starting with the campaign. The story in my opinion isn't nearly as strong as the original darkLet me open by saying that Dark Souls II is a plenty good game, so take what you hear here with a grain of salt. Firstly the game plays as you would expect having played the souls series before, and is a challenging game in many respects. However, there are problems I feel must be addressed. Starting with the campaign. The story in my opinion isn't nearly as strong as the original dark souls. It manages to be much more generic than the original, but if you're here for the gameplay this shouldn't be a problem. There are several bosses that rely on gimmicks to increase their difficulty instead of having actually challenging ai. In addition to this, several bosses are VERY similar to ones in the previous game. Not that that's a bad thing, but it does make you wish for some variation. The ideas on the whole feel less inspired, as we have more knight bosses than ever. Including one that appears twice, only this time with TWO of them instead of one. I feel like that's definitely a failing on the creativity front. But I'm going to address my biggest problem with the game now. It's multiplayer is heavily flawed. The new director seems to heavily dislike invasions, as invaders are punished harder than ever before. The host can heal, but you cannot stop them. They can usually roll out of the way, preventing any sort of reasonable punish. In addition, lloyd talismans are limited, and you cannot ever get an infinite invasion item of any kind. The PVP has several balance problems, including absurd levels of stunlocking, the inability to punish hosts from healing, and certain stats soft cap so early on everyone is going to have a very cookie cutter build. Weapons do not scale well at all, so you are essentially encourged to go to the soft caps for your stats, then enchant and buff your weapons with spells to get any sort of damage out of them. If you wanted to play a pure str/dex character, prepare to be disappointed. Not only are invaders punished, as the host will almost always have the advantage now, but they get nothing meaningful from actually invading. For the host, death is a slap on the wrist, as they can equip the ring of soul protection and lose nothing if they die. The invader however is doomed to an uphill battle, and faces constant invasions from this game's equivalent of the dark moon covenant, which becomes extremely tedious. If one of your main draws for the series is PVP and invasions, prepare to be extremely disappointed.

As a singleplayer game however it is fine. Not as good as the original, but certainly a solid game in most respects. What I do not understand however, is the design decision to make certain item sets nearly unattainable without hours of farming. This is a determent to the series, and has no place in the game itself.

on the whole we have:
    - A poorly balanced PVP system that punishes players for invading
    - A more generic storyline than the previous games
    - a poorly balanced stat system that encourages users to spread their stats everywhere instead of specializing
    - a ridiculous item farming mechanic.

however, despite this games myriad of problems, it is still a solid title if you're looking for a single player experience. Just don't expect it to be nearly as good as the last game. between the pvp being broken and skewed against the invader, to death being a slap on the wrist. I can't honestly claim this to be as good as dark souls or demons souls. However if you just want more of the series itself, than look no further.
  90. Apr 19, 2014
    Game not even as enjoyable as first two games. Do battle on small pathways and wrong step and fall die, fall die, fall die. Other games had some areas like that but not everywhere you turn. Graphics in parts of game are subpar compare to previous games. Do your self a favor and by Demon Souls. Greatly disappointed in this release of the series.
  91. Apr 18, 2014
    An unworthy successor. Following two of the best games I've ever played high standards need to be met, and ds2 doesn't come close. While a great deal of it's failing can be traced to the same deeply flawed decision by the devs to make multiplayer opt out rather than opt in (present in both demon's souls and dark souls) it's disastrous implementation in dark souls 2 pales when compared toAn unworthy successor. Following two of the best games I've ever played high standards need to be met, and ds2 doesn't come close. While a great deal of it's failing can be traced to the same deeply flawed decision by the devs to make multiplayer opt out rather than opt in (present in both demon's souls and dark souls) it's disastrous implementation in dark souls 2 pales when compared to its greatest shortcomings. In both predecessors the threat of having some random fool/player/griefer drop into your game to ruin your day was always a threat and made the lack of pausing, safe zones asinine (level 3 knights shouldn't have to face off against a jerk wearing allant' s armor and a scraping spear, and I shouldn't come back from the bathroom standing next to a bonfire on top of my bloodstain) but now they've raised the bar and guaranteed to over with multiplayer. It's brilliant that the game hangs for a moment to let you know you're being invaded. Not so great when it happens again. And again. And ag... well it was happening again only while you were standing still with all those pauses the first person who invaded ran in for a backstabbing, and you're dead. Not to worry, because things could be worse, at least there aren't places where other players can pull you into their game over and over and over until your equipment is breaking and you run out of supplies and have to quit the area. Well, not before invasionland there aren't.
    As lousy an implementation as is the poorly conceived multiplayer, it shines when compared to the awful camera. The camera was great in demon's souls, doing exactly what I wanted when I wanted. It was till pretty good in dark souls, somewhat twitchy but for the most part it didn't make things more difficult. This time around the camera might be the toughest obstacle in the game. Movements is quick and crisp when trying to make fine adjustments and painfully slow when it needs speed. The cameras behavior being the opposite of what is required at nearly every given moment isn't difficult, it's lazy and frustrating. If that isn't enough, the camera is stellar when compared to the controller. The slightest touch might launch you into a full Sprint, or moving further and further off center may do nothing more than keep you moving at a crawl--until you suddenly take off running. I've also gained no appreciation for the way buttons and triggers work to *maybe* cast spells, use weapons or a shield--or do multiple things all at once, back out of one menu, then the apparent menu, then hop backwards off a cliff, all with a single touch.
    All three souls titles have flaws at their core. This game has failings evwrywhere.
  92. Apr 17, 2014
    I really did not like the first two souls games. Demons Souls looked and played terrible. Dark Souls was a glitch filled mess, I literally got stuck in a tree within 5 minutes and couldn't continue without physically turning my controller off. This game is well made, I have played around 15 - 20 hours and haven't encountered a glitch yet. I like the fact that the enemies disappear afterI really did not like the first two souls games. Demons Souls looked and played terrible. Dark Souls was a glitch filled mess, I literally got stuck in a tree within 5 minutes and couldn't continue without physically turning my controller off. This game is well made, I have played around 15 - 20 hours and haven't encountered a glitch yet. I like the fact that the enemies disappear after clearing them out and, it avoids unnecessary stupid deaths and forces you to not over grind in a specific point and move on in the game. I know some people knocked it for being shallow and having empty characters, but at least you can get to the shallow empty characters without getting stuck in the environment. My only critique is that in order to play it you have to sit down and devote a significant chunk of time into it. It isn't fun playing for short periods of time, when you are playing you want to accomplish something in the game, be it beat a boss or enter a new area and that takes time. Expand
  93. Apr 16, 2014
    Dark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have toDark Souls II improves on its predecessor by optimizing its mechanics and providing an even bigger world this time around. Tons more areas, enemies, npcs, and bosses. Dark Souls II like Dark Souls is a game you truly appreciate the more time you put into it. The longer you persevere in its world, the more rewards it will reveal. To truly understand its complexity and scale, you have to fully experience the game in its entirety. I look forward to where From Software takes this series next! If you enjoyed the previous games, you will enjoy Dark Souls II. The reason I didn't give it a perfect score was because it didn't feel as memorable as Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Although its nice to see a developer put some much work into the game, it felt bloated and the game became exhausting to complete. Also, the last few areas of the game felt very random and out of place. Still, considering how much content is in the game, its amazing how much work the developers put into the game. If you are a fan of the series or mature dark fantasy, you will enjoy this game! Expand
  94. Apr 15, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 was a disappointment, it's not a bad game; on the contrary it's quite good, even peaking greatness in some areas. Just comparing it to Dark Souls 1 it falls short; DS2 has more content but has tedious game mechanics, DS2 has a better engine but doesn't look any better, it adds new features (such as touches) but never really fully realizes them. DS2 has more bosses than itsDark Souls 2 was a disappointment, it's not a bad game; on the contrary it's quite good, even peaking greatness in some areas. Just comparing it to Dark Souls 1 it falls short; DS2 has more content but has tedious game mechanics, DS2 has a better engine but doesn't look any better, it adds new features (such as touches) but never really fully realizes them. DS2 has more bosses than its predecessor but the majority of them are either blatant rip offs (playing of nostalgia) or plain, old unoriginal. Even some of the level design are boring. You know the thing which made DS1 a house hold name; its level design. It's a fun game and if you want something for your Dark souls fix, pick this game up. But if you're a new comer, go for the first game. I wanna give this game a 6.9 but Metacritic won't let me. Expand
  95. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

All in all, truth be told it is the atmosphere and not specifically the difficulty and challenge that makes the title a blast to play- although I am sure those other factors rank highly up there as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the greater sense of freedom I was given in my approaches to combat and exploration, as well as the rare helping hands reaching out to help as well. We are only a third of the way through this year's impressive games list, and yet I already feel as if Dark Souls II will maintain its large impact all the way through despite the stiff competition it will surely be facing. One thing is for certain: I'll still be playing it come next March. After all, I'm still playing the original!

Concept: Explore a new yet familiar and similar setting- akin to the story and exploration of the first Dark Souls title, and embark upon a quest to rid the world of its misery and to gain power through it as you progress. Engage in challenging combat and experience an intriguing and engrossing story- experienced, not told.

Graphics: Impressively detailed and varied, both in environments and character models.

Sound: Between the epic scores for momentous occasions and stealthy segments to the general ambiance, the sound work is quite impressive and even the little creaks and tremors were impressively detailed in there fullness.

Playability: The challenges will be difficult, yet it isn't anything that can't be overcome through patience and a general grasping of the firm handling of the controls set before you. After you establish a solid foundation, you'll progress slowly but surely regardless of overall skill. But that doesn't make it any easier on you or your character, be warned.

Entertainment: This is not only a highly anticipated sequel but an amazing stand-alone title and it must be played to be enjoyed. Challenging yet fair, firm yet helpful at times. An impressively detailed and epic adventure in an expansive and deadly world.

Replay Value: Very High.

Overall Score: 9.5
  96. Apr 15, 2014
    Excellent!! Dark Souls 2 improved than Dark Souls 1 actually
    and smooth Frame was Good than Dark Souls 1
    im Love so much FromSoftware
    i found lost memory that playing ghost n goblins
  97. Apr 15, 2014
    Now I don't generally rate games a perfect 10 but I'll explain why in just a bit. Here we have Dark Souls 2, I just finished Dark Souls 1 about a month ago thanks to this article I read about the most difficult games of all time and fair enough, Dark Souls 1 was there so I gave it a shot and the rest of my games are history. After a good 90+ gameplay of punishment and victories (more onNow I don't generally rate games a perfect 10 but I'll explain why in just a bit. Here we have Dark Souls 2, I just finished Dark Souls 1 about a month ago thanks to this article I read about the most difficult games of all time and fair enough, Dark Souls 1 was there so I gave it a shot and the rest of my games are history. After a good 90+ gameplay of punishment and victories (more on the punishment part) I finally finished the game and a few days later, Dark Souls 2 was out. I told myself that I was gonna give it a rest realizing that I was not ready to embark on another long journey but I got the game anyway and tried it for a few minutes and just like that, you've guessed it, minutes turned into hours and I was hooked like it was the original. Can't say its better but it has many improvements that makes it less punishing for the players but a few that makes it otherwise. Still it has the formula of having to try and try and learn from your deaths and be better and achieving that boss kill. People will probably argue about the game not being perfect so it doesn't deserve a score of 10 but games aren't suppose to be perfect, they're suppose to be fun. Be warned though, this game is not fun, not at least when you're constantly dying but it does make up for it when you're winning. Dying is part of the game so enjoy it. Expand
  98. Apr 14, 2014
    the game is great! but if you're expecting dark souls "2" then this isnt it. it feels more of a hybrid of demon and the first dark souls thats a bit easier. its still fun though and it still plays like the others.
  99. Apr 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is just like Dark Souls except bigger. Certain aspects like covenants and humanity have been simplified to make them easier to understand and the game is generally more user friendly in it's design choices yet it still retains it's brutal difficulty and air of mystique.

The graphics are slightly compromised on ageing hardware but thankfully From Software made the right decision to sacrifice detail for frame rate to ensure the game handles smoothly even if the lighting isn't perfect, boo hoo (sarcasm).

Dark Souls 2 is not a perfect game, I could write a list as long as my arm about it's flaws (which are many but most relatively minor). Hell, it's not even a fair game. But that's sort of the point. It's the challenge and satisfaction of overcoming seemingly impossible odds to win. Even the cheapest of victories will have you punching the air in celebration.

What it is though is an epic adventure which took me 80 hours to complete and I still don't feel as if I've scratched the surface. It's the best action RPG I've ever played. And although it may never win 200 game of the year awards it just might be the best game ever (so far).
  100. Apr 14, 2014
    Everything i expected from a new Souls game. Exhilarating combat, great level design and a story that isn't on the surface but needs to be explored and discovered by looking at item descriptions and the environment.I also like the new ways to up the difficulty throughout the game. Overall a worthy successor to the original.Praise the sun!! o/

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 bears the torch of Dark Souls with honor. No mean feat! [Apr 2014]
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Even more amazing, and difficult, than Dark Souls.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    At the end of the day, Dark Souls II uses more subtle changes to find its own flavor and place in the series as a whole, rather than reinventing the wheel.