8.7

1. Nov 13, 2011
    Dark Souls is an amazing game, but it is definitely not for everyone, especially those easily discouraged or frustrated. The older gamers who grew up during the 8 & 16-bit days will likely find the most appreciation for this title. Dark Souls throws you into an amazingly well crafted world with a very short tutorial, then leaves you to it. There is a lot of risky exploration and trial &Dark Souls is an amazing game, but it is definitely not for everyone, especially those easily discouraged or frustrated. The older gamers who grew up during the 8 & 16-bit days will likely find the most appreciation for this title. Dark Souls throws you into an amazingly well crafted world with a very short tutorial, then leaves you to it. There is a lot of risky exploration and trial & error learning that needs to be done. Bosses and even normal enemies are unforgivably brutal, so as you've probably heard already, you're going to be dying a lot. But nothing you've played for years will give you the feeling of accomplishment when you finally complete a goal. This is the first game for a long time where I actually danced a jig after defeating a particularly nasty boss that was killing me for over an hour.

Combat controls are fluid and fairly easy to pick up, but difficult to master. There's a ton of different weapons to use and spells to learn. There are many different ways to build up your character, and a deep gear upgrade system, offering a lot of re-playability. The only problem here is that game doesn't offer you a lot of information regarding certain player stats or how certain game mechanics work. You will figure everything out eventually but it would be nice if they gave you just a little more information in the game itself, or in the woefully bad manual.

Dark Souls is an extremely pretty game. Even after playing it for so many hours I can still marvel sometimes how great it looks. But the cost of this is sometimes the game is reduced to a horribly low frame rate, bad enough to affect gameplay and sometimes reduces it to an unplayable state. I've noticed however this may be more to do with bugs with the AI than anything else. When there are multiple enemies having trouble finding a path to your location, you'll notice your frame rate reduced to almost nothing. Hopefully this is patched.

The only other complaint I can make is that when you die on bosses, and you will die a lot. Sometimes you have to wade through a lot of content over and over to make it back to the boss to try again. This adds a lot of extra unnecessary frustration and boredom to a game that's otherwise full of excitement.
  2. May 25, 2012
    Perfect. I give Dark Souls a 5/5. Never have I felt so accomplished from beating a video game. The world of Lordan is a terrifying place to explore, danger is around every corner. I wish more RPGs would draw inspiration from this game. I cannot praise it enough.
  3. Jul 25, 2012
    This is how to do a sequel..... All the core mechanics of dark souls have been tweaked and tuned and the experience is an in depth, highly complex and rewarding experience. The atmosphere is beautiful and bleak, creating a game that makes you feel like you are truly alone, with no hand-holding guidance from the developers. Evolving the Demon Souls formula of a central hub into an openThis is how to do a sequel..... All the core mechanics of dark souls have been tweaked and tuned and the experience is an in depth, highly complex and rewarding experience. The atmosphere is beautiful and bleak, creating a game that makes you feel like you are truly alone, with no hand-holding guidance from the developers. Evolving the Demon Souls formula of a central hub into an open world experience has worked perfectly, allowing the player to experiment with the world rather than be tied to any linear quests. That said, the online mechanics remain fairly similar, relying on other players on similarly lonely quests to help you through the game. Here the multiplayer does an excellent job of allowing players to interact and help each other out through a novel and understated set of game mechanics which are perfectly suited to the Dark Souls world. Without giving too much away, the multiplayer is a must for this game,since without the hints and occasional help from friendly phantoms your experience could be a very frustrating one.
    For some players this will be a confusing and irritating experience. With no guidance and an exceptionally high difficulty level I can imagine controllers being thrown through TV screens. However, this is a game of patience, endurance and reward - something that is rare in console gaming of late.
  4. Oct 21, 2011
    So to start off, this game is amazing. It took me a very long time (about 3 months after i bought it) to get into Demon's Souls but once I got into it I REALLY got into it. There were a few flaws though that made me dislike the game, and there is where Dark Souls comes in. Dark Souls takes the issues that I had with Demon's Souls (the tutorial, general early-game flow, magic OP as balls,So to start off, this game is amazing. It took me a very long time (about 3 months after i bought it) to get into Demon's Souls but once I got into it I REALLY got into it. There were a few flaws though that made me dislike the game, and there is where Dark Souls comes in. Dark Souls takes the issues that I had with Demon's Souls (the tutorial, general early-game flow, magic OP as balls, difficulty gaining human form early on) is all fixed in Dark Souls. The gameplay is solid and refined since Demon's Souls. The boss fights are a lot of fun and generally less frustrating due to it being more straightforward as to how to defeat them. The bonfires mean that you generally aren't set as far back when you die and the covenants add a whole new level of additional depth to the game (such as revenge invasions, killing invaders of the forest and so on). But the one reason this game is not getting anywhere above an 8 is: the online. In Demon's Souls if you wanted to play with a friend all you had to do was put down a mark and then tell them where it is. In Dark Souls since the players are divided up into smaller servers it is near impossible to play with someone you know. The other issue that comes with this smaller servers is that sometimes you just end up on a near empty server. This can lead to no one responding to your summon sign or not being able to find anyone to summon for help. This can become very frustrating when you want to help people with a boss, or want help on one yourself.

Overall the game is great, I really enjoy how the game all flows together (back to the Firelink Shrine) so it really feels like everything is linked. Some people may complain about random things killing them, but anyone who played Demon's Souls will know most of the tricks. Not to mention, if you know everything the game is going to try and kill you with, where's the fun in that? It's hilarious when I open a chest and it turns into a mimic that devours me XD. A must have for any hardcore gamer!
  5. May 8, 2012
    I have been playing this game for 60 hours nearly, level 79. I love this game. Frustrating? Yes. Difficult? Yes. Rewarding? Yes. Atmospheric? Yes? And, easier than Demon's Souls? Yes. But still brilliant, a must-play for this generation of consoles.
  6. Nov 18, 2012
    Great and challanging game.
    One of the best games offering awesome atmospheres and gameplay this generation.
    Running through Dark Forrests and castles fighting against bloodthirsty monsters is a old concept but was very well made in this game But its not as good as the prequel Demon's Souls. The PvP fights are horrible buged and suffer through the badly implemented Netcode. And the
    Great and challanging game.

But its not as good as the prequel Demon's Souls.
    And the Framerateissues in few areas in this game.
  7. Apr 8, 2012
    I am a huge fan of Demon's souls but I even find this one is a tad bit sadistic. They are oushing a bit with this title. The difficulty will push a lot of newcomers away...The game is very similar to Demon's Souls in a lot of ways but the main flaw is that some of the rewarding aspects (such as the large amount of items to be gained) are a lot less in this title. This is a problem as youI am a huge fan of Demon's souls but I even find this one is a tad bit sadistic. They are oushing a bit with this title. The difficulty will push a lot of newcomers away...The game is very similar to Demon's Souls in a lot of ways but the main flaw is that some of the rewarding aspects (such as the large amount of items to be gained) are a lot less in this title. This is a problem as you will be stuck with the Drake sword for an unecessary amount of time with nothing (that I have found) replacing this weapon for a long part of the game. I actually went back and made a character that could use this sword really early and I found this game to be easy because of this; I hope they add more items to be gained for the players who are loyal to the Souls games. The difficulty is not impossible, just stick it out and be in for the long haul as most Souls fans are aware of. Other than that, enjoy this title. Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2012
    Man, i love this game. I read on the net that this game is very hard, and yea, hell hard. I didn't play Demon's Souls so for me is a bit difficult. In the first level, you are playing and you think that is easy, but only that level. After, the game gets more hard and the game starts there. Graphics are acceptable, the environment and the world is dark and beautiful. Game is very addictive,Man, i love this game. I read on the net that this game is very hard, and yea, hell hard. I didn't play Demon's Souls so for me is a bit difficult. In the first level, you are playing and you think that is easy, but only that level. After, the game gets more hard and the game starts there. Graphics are acceptable, the environment and the world is dark and beautiful. Game is very addictive, hard but addictive. The sound is good, without problems. Gameplay is damn nice, roll is better than use the shield to dodge enemies, and the enemies are hard if they hit you. There's different spells of each class. Example the piromantic has fire spells, the cleric casts healing miracles, and the sorcerer have soul sorceries. The bosses are hard, some bosses are very hard and you need help of others players online to kill him. Online is unique, if you are connected to PSN, some ghosts from other people playing appears, but they can't do nothing. There's a special item to summon others players that help you. Also you can fight against players, and take theirs souls. Conclusion: If you have patience to die, die, an die, and if you like or love RPG'S, BUY this game. If you are a good player, the game will be more easy. Expand
  9. Oct 20, 2011
    Its simple. If you are an hardcore Rpg gamer with sado-masochistic tendencies then don't hesitate and buy this game now. If you played and liked Demon souls buy this game now. If you like the idea of having to redo sections of a game over and over to gain knowledge and experience, and to farm resources then buy this game now. If none of the above appeal to you I would give this game aIts simple. If you are an hardcore Rpg gamer with sado-masochistic tendencies then don't hesitate and buy this game now. If you played and liked Demon souls buy this game now. If you like the idea of having to redo sections of a game over and over to gain knowledge and experience, and to farm resources then buy this game now. If none of the above appeal to you I would give this game a miss.
    Within 20 minutes of starting this game I hated it and the pointless bloody futility of it all. After 3 hours of the game I still hated it and the countless deaths. 8 hours in and I REALLY hated the impossibility of defeating two goddam Gargoyles in a rooftop battle after countless tries. Even now some 40 plus hours in I hate this game. Each night I will grab the controller and continue to inch my way through this hateful game. And why? Because you have to make your own way through. Work things out for yourself.
    Decisions you make have a real impact on the outcome. There is no right or wrong way. Without being too metaphysical and Hippie about it, it is just like real life ( Real life is that thing that happens when you are away from your console and TV screen) Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating zapping Mrs Miggins from number 27 with your sorcerers catalyst, but if you are prepared to learn from your mistakes and time spent within the game and persevere you will be richly rewarded. The game has great depth in its gameplay, combat mechanism and graphics. The dark fantasy world is beautifully realised, and it will not be long before you are drawn screaming and kicking into this world. There are certainly a few technical glitches and low frame rates that are discussed in other reviews on this site that have to be considered.
    I have no doubt that when i eventually complete this game I will still bloody hate it, and then I will start on game+ or run through as a different class
  10. Nov 4, 2012
    Not a full 10 score, but pretty close. Overall a nice step up from demon's souls, the open world is great, I also like the adition of covenants to mix things up in pvp, design is top notch as always, and of course ambientation, production values, depth,etc, etc. But what shines above all is the gameplay, the souls games have probably the best combat mechanics I have ever seen, they areNot a full 10 score, but pretty close. Overall a nice step up from demon's souls, the open world is great, I also like the adition of covenants to mix things up in pvp, design is top notch as always, and of course ambientation, production values, depth,etc, etc. But what shines above all is the gameplay, the souls games have probably the best combat mechanics I have ever seen, they are intuitive, brutal, vast and full of depth; each weapon has it's own animations, and they all feel different. It's not a perfect game, it has rough edges here and there, graphics feel dated, framerate goes to hell on some locations, and sometimes controls are not as responsive. In terms of tools available for combat, some spells and miracles are overpowered, and prone to abuse; this makes some pvp matchups frustrating as the opponents use cheap tactics over and over again. Weapon refinement (wich was spot on in demons souls) is uneven and feels a little lacking; there is no longer a str/dex weapon upgrade path, so str/dex builds are doomed to stick with weapons you find in the environment that naturally scale with such stats, don't get me wrong, they are good, but sometimes I would like to have let's say a str scaling spear instead of another ultra weapon. All in all, this game may not be for everyone, but if it clicks with you then like me you will find one of the best games ever created...... Expand
  11. Feb 20, 2012
    Dark Souls is the BEST RPG GAME THIS GEN!!! the only reason some people hate it is becasue its Hard.. Otherwise its a really great and fun game. You MUST by it if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360
  12. Nov 4, 2011
    Well, having never played Demon Souls the difficulty of Dark Soul's was initially a shock. However one of the main things I had heard about Demon Souls was that if you died it was through fault of your own, not thinking out something before you acted. There does seem to be quite a few times in Dark souls where this still holds true but there seems to be a bit of artificial difficulty inWell, having never played Demon Souls the difficulty of Dark Soul's was initially a shock. However one of the main things I had heard about Demon Souls was that if you died it was through fault of your own, not thinking out something before you acted. There does seem to be quite a few times in Dark souls where this still holds true but there seems to be a bit of artificial difficulty in this game such as One Hit AoE KOs purposely distancing bonfires far from certain points so the player will have to keep travelling things like that deliberately put in to frustrate the player and waste their time making the game longer and "harder". Overall though I found Dark soul's to be quite a fun game especially after killing a boss that has been kicking your ass over and over. There's something about Dark Soul's though, no matter how many times I got so angry and quit the game 10 minutes later I'd be back playing it determined it wasn't going to beat me. There are very very few games I've quit this much and came back to play. Aside from the odd moments in the game that seem to have been designed specifically to piss you off as much as possible dark souls is a great game with a lot of different play styles and great graphics. Although a lot of the story and dialogue seems to be lost unless you make an effort to patch it together yourself by talking to NPC's. I really enjoyed my time playing dark souls and will more than likely play it through several more times when i get the chance. A must buy for any one who likes a challenge. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game, it is very fun and challenging. I only gave it an 8 because the graphics engine is far from perfected. Water and stair steps significantly drop frame rates. There's also an infinite soul glitch that makes the game lose its value due to over powering your character. Luckily, the glitch is only possible if you KNOW what you're getting into. Another major turn off was that NewGreat game, it is very fun and challenging. I only gave it an 8 because the graphics engine is far from perfected. Water and stair steps significantly drop frame rates. There's also an infinite soul glitch that makes the game lose its value due to over powering your character. Luckily, the glitch is only possible if you KNOW what you're getting into. Another major turn off was that New Game+ lacked new items and souls. There are no "upgraded" loot, just the same loot as last play through. All and all its a GREAT game, but only worth about 100 hours of play. Expand
  14. Nov 16, 2011
    Are you ready to die? Are you ready to throw your controller across the room in nothing but pure frustration? Dark souls is the game for you! The game has a dark fantasy like setting and does good things for the general feel of the game. As I mentioned before, the game can be frustrating at times. Some enemies are quite hard to kill, and it only makes it harder when you're ganged up on byAre you ready to die? Are you ready to throw your controller across the room in nothing but pure frustration? Dark souls is the game for you! The game has a dark fantasy like setting and does good things for the general feel of the game. As I mentioned before, the game can be frustrating at times. Some enemies are quite hard to kill, and it only makes it harder when you're ganged up on by 4 or 5 of them you didn't even see coming. The game can feel cheap at times, the game can feel unfair and unforgiving too, but this is where it draws its sense of accomplishment from. Believe me when I say nothing feels better then FINALLY beating that boss you've been trying for the last hour, or figuring out how to bypass a group of enemies you can't kill on your own. The game has some cool online features too. If you're connected to the PSN while playing (or XBL for xbox) You'll see blood splatters on the floor, going up to these and pressing the action button will show you the last few moments of another persons death. These short moments can sometimes be the key to getting past an area you've never been to before. in addition to these blood spots, players can leave messages on the ground for other players to see. This again is also very very helpful, sometimes you'll be given a warning of a super tough enemy ahead, and other times you'll be told where a secrete passage is. But try and take them with a grain of salt, if a message says "jump off cliff" Chances are its somebody playing a joke on you. the third online feature is that players are able to invade and and be summoned to other players worlds. when a player invade you then fight them, the winner gets the other players souls and some humanity. You can also summon other players to help you with boss fights or difficult areas. You don't necessarily HAVE to be invaded, for these things to happen you have to be in human form, and you can play much of the game in non-human form to avoid being invaded. You'll still see the messages/blood on the floor when playing in non-human form too, so if you really don't want to deal with losing your souls and humanity, playing in non-human form is an option. Its overall a very fun game, I recommend it for anyone after a challenge but keep in mind it can mess with you at times. Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2011
    I completed this game and decided i should review it based on my opinion. having played demon souls i was aware of the level of difficulty prior and it did not let me down the fights were fun as you learn how enemies fight and the best tactic to counter them and take them down. The bosses were well designed apart from 3 the asylum boss stray demon and the fire version these seemed as theI completed this game and decided i should review it based on my opinion. having played demon souls i was aware of the level of difficulty prior and it did not let me down the fights were fun as you learn how enemies fight and the best tactic to counter them and take them down. The bosses were well designed apart from 3 the asylum boss stray demon and the fire version these seemed as the designers had run out of ideas and added the same boss with an increased difficulty and changed the design slightly. The gamepplay was brilliant i loved the feel of the different weapons and they felt like they had real weight to them and its the same with the armour which forced you to accomodate your gameplay to the choice of weapon and armour you used. another downside was i felt that some of the deaths that occur was cheap compared to demon souls, it was almost as if the game was making sure you perished. before people make the purcahse they should realise that some grinding is needed however it is possible to complete this game without leveling up it just takes alot of patience. After finishing this i tried to play skyrim which i cant get into as it just seems a little bit to easy and i am aware that you can raise difficulty levels, this game is currently my game of the year, and despite some flaws it is still a very good game, now just waiting for the patch to improve the co-op experience Expand
  16. May 17, 2012
    From Software delivers another gloriously dark fantasy gem with Dark Souls. It may not be quite as impactful as Demon's Souls but this game is bigger and features a more accessible interface and outlook. Dark Souls also has more to offer on the multiplayer front, introducing Covenants you can join to help or hinder your fellow online adventurers. What remains the same is the punishingFrom Software delivers another gloriously dark fantasy gem with Dark Souls. It may not be quite as impactful as Demon's Souls but this game is bigger and features a more accessible interface and outlook. Dark Souls also has more to offer on the multiplayer front, introducing Covenants you can join to help or hinder your fellow online adventurers. What remains the same is the punishing difficulty, once again it is possible for any enemy to kill you if you let your guard down for even a second, regardless of character level. But with great challenge comes greater rewards and Dark Souls is immensely satisfying when you kill a huge boss, or save someone in co-op. A highly recommendable and engrossing world to explore and conquer in your own unique way. Expand
  17. Apr 29, 2012
    To anyone that loves a good hardcore challenge, Dark Souls is the game for you, entering yourself a sadistic world where enemies are unforgiving and show no mercy to kill. The story line has an interesting detail to it, the combat mechanics is for people to learn, when you die, you lose some of you humanity and turns you into an undead, you can also try and assess the enemies location,To anyone that loves a good hardcore challenge, Dark Souls is the game for you, entering yourself a sadistic world where enemies are unforgiving and show no mercy to kill. The story line has an interesting detail to it, the combat mechanics is for people to learn, when you die, you lose some of you humanity and turns you into an undead, you can also try and assess the enemies location, find what weapon is best for killing them and how to approach them. From Software wanted to make a game which is really really hard for people, they have made it difficult for people because they didn't want to make a game which is too easy for people to play, it has 100 hours of gameplay and includes multiplayer, multiplayer can't be chosen, if you are signed in to PSN or SEN (they are the same thing, only named differently) you will have access to play with others, other players are phantoms, so they are with you, only they are a phantom. You can have an option to either help each other out on a hard situation and you can both become rewarded or you could become as sadistic as the NPC's and you could raid another person's session and kill the players that are there, you could become rewarded with a Black Phantom Soul, when you kill the player, they would try to strike you back, before you leave, make sure you forgive yourself from kill the player by talking to the person you see (not the player, the NPC character), if you struggle, there is a good advantage of having a PSN or SEN, you can write messages to others from your game, these messages can be read as advice and tutorials, you could rate these messages to recommend to others by rating them. Overall if you have money that you saved up and you want to get a RPG for the PS3, Dark Souls is recommended for you. And to say it once more, they have made it hard on purpose. Expand
  18. Mar 11, 2012
    (8.5 if I could)
    This game is a perfect example of what developers need to aim for:
    -A difficult game that requires thinking. -Actions that have consequences that effect the rest of your play through. -Suspense and a lingering unknown of what's behind the next corner. -A sequel that doesn't **** all over the predecessor Dark Souls took these three points and executed it almost perfectly. I
    (8.5 if I could)
    This game is a perfect example of what developers need to aim for:
    -A difficult game that requires thinking.
    -Actions that have consequences that effect the rest of your play through.
    -Suspense and a lingering unknown of what's behind the next corner.
    -A sequel that doesn't **** all over the predecessor Dark Souls took these three points and executed it almost perfectly. I have a few problems with the game though:
    -Lack of dialogue
    -Lack of story telling elements
    -FPS drops pretty often

If you love tough and addicting game play with no true focus on story and characters, this is the game for you. Although, I would avoid this game if you are seeking a story telling adventure. Make sure to bookmark the Dark Souls Wiki, you're going to need it.
  19. Mar 12, 2012
    Dark souls is my personal game of 2011, superb combat, deeply immersive environments, singular online functionality more then outshine its sometimes inconsistent technicals. Exploration and challenging combat in this dark medieval setting is not to be missed.
  20. Mar 22, 2012
    First to note, DO NOT GET THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR. This game is already established to be astoundingly difficult, and rightfully so, it can claim to be one of the most difficult games in modern era gaming. Someone who is looking for a good time, a good story or just to have fun will put this game down after just a few hours. The beginning of the game is like runningFirst to note, DO NOT GET THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR. This game is already established to be astoundingly difficult, and rightfully so, it can claim to be one of the most difficult games in modern era gaming. Someone who is looking for a good time, a good story or just to have fun will put this game down after just a few hours. The beginning of the game is like running into a brick wall, but after you get to the first bell ringing, the game begins to open up to become a much larger, much more enjoyable RPG. The combat is one of the most solid, fluid and challengingly simple battle systems I've seen on an action RPG. The careful micromanagement of your health, your stamina. And finding the right window to parry, block, attack and dodge is probably one of the most engaging things you could do. Every enemy is unique, and has their own little quirk that's key to taking them down as gracefully as possible. The bonfire system is a unique aspect, though also a somewhat frustrating one at the same time. Giving you checkpoints you head to so you could level up, and manage your items to prepare for the next step. Currency and experience is shared in a total pool listed under "souls" and while an interesting aspect. Time and time again you do need to see yourself grind to get a couple of your stats up high enough, if it's just to wear new and better weapons or equipment, get a new spell, or just get a small advantage against your adversaries. While more skillful players can progress while keeping grinding to a minimum. Less skilled players will be found doing this because it has less risk than going up against a powerful enemy, getting splattered on the ground somewhere and being forced to start over, going back to pick up the pieces of all your lost experience and coin.

The graphics? They're pretty good for a modern game, but to call them great or even the best would mark me as a liar. The facial models are horrible. God awful. When you're making your character. You have to spend time shaping their face and it makes me cringe about how deep into the uncanny valley these models sink into. The environment is both varied yet slightly repetitive. The above ground segments and level design is just brilliant. Making it feel like you're going forward, yet when you find a new path, it leads to a familiar area. It feels extremely well planned and very well thought out. Though at other times you'll just wonder how big this giant sewer you're in actually is as you spend time in it for hours and hours on end. The enemies in the game are.. well how do I put it? They can beat your ass. Every single enemy can take you out in just a few good hits, even with you wearing solid armor. They never let up OR go easy on you. You'll need your A game at all times to even consider beating them every time. If you get lazy or tired, these enemies you fought before can get the best of you. Making you rather angry you died to something you've beaten before. The boss battles are obviously both the most exhilarating aspect of this game, when the epic music begins to swell as you behold your behemoth sized foe, tossing about in an ever lasting game of david vs goliath. You with your slingshot, taking every chance you have at dealing a solid hit. It's just pulse pounding once you get past the 2 or 3 times they end up crushing you like a bug. If you do extra well, you even get special items.

PVP is just a blast to play sometimes. When someone invades your game and you spend minutes going toe to toe to see who is really best. Fighting off another person just made me smile in joy afterward. After hours of frustration for minutes of epic reward. This game is great but it still has a few flaws. It doesn't explain enough for people not familiar with this game type. The controls are slightly awkward to handle, and can be a bit clunky before you master them. It can piss you off at times with the fact it always has a brand spanking new way to piss you off. And because it clocks in at over 50 hours of you doing THE BARE MINIMUM during your first run. It can feel like you're making no progress for hours on end of repetitive combat. The plot is nonexistent, and made me disappointed they did not improve on the meat of the game, the force that drives you to set onward, a hope for progression and a feeling of closure that isn't there. Without the plot, it feels like there's no journey, just one big awesome dungeon crawl and the quest to find more loot. You'll find yourself here for hours as you try new and different characters, builds and equipment, so it has plenty of replay value on it as well.

Now you are asking yourself, Should I buy this game? My question is, why shouldn't you? One day this game will be seen as a classic, because it should be. I love it even if it hates me.

So yeah, go out there and get it if you found this review convincing!
  21. May 11, 2012
    This game is as hard as it is amazing. Awesome and deep combat, great bosses, a great art style and very, very rewarding. Difficulty may turn some people off, and the camera can be annoying at times. Everybody looking for a challenge should play this.
  22. Jun 13, 2012
    In my opinion Dark Souls is best RPG ever made its challenging and there is much to explore. Like many games in these days are pretty short and easy Dark Souls is pretty long if you dont know what to do and its hard. I think this game is easier than Demon's Souls but that is just in my opinion . There are many weapons to choose from and many armor sets. I really hope next Souls game isIn my opinion Dark Souls is best RPG ever made its challenging and there is much to explore. Like many games in these days are pretty short and easy Dark Souls is pretty long if you dont know what to do and its hard. I think this game is easier than Demon's Souls but that is just in my opinion . There are many weapons to choose from and many armor sets. I really hope next Souls game is even HARDER and it makes you more frustrated. Expand
  23. Aug 25, 2012
    this is best game ever i would like to play it once finish all off design so cool action so great i would get stucked into game with action design i hope this game will get another game like these
  24. Jul 10, 2012
    Dark Souls is a fantasticly deep, brilliantly designed game. It is difficult, but if you've played Demon's Souls you should have no problems as it is no more difficult. The clear best part of the game is the combat. The sheer depth of the combat in Dark Souls is incredible. Want to wear heavy armor and wield massive hammers and axes? They have that, but you'll be sacrificing speed andDark Souls is a fantasticly deep, brilliantly designed game. It is difficult, but if you've played Demon's Souls you should have no problems as it is no more difficult. The clear best part of the game is the combat. The sheer depth of the combat in Dark Souls is incredible. Want to wear heavy armor and wield massive hammers and axes? They have that, but you'll be sacrificing speed and mobility for it. How about an assassin who backstabs his foes into submission? You can do that to. The frame rate issues have been well documented, but they are in no means game breaking. I had them occur in area only, and only when fighting one enemy (Blightown, giant bug things). Everywhere else in the game ran flawlessly, and looked beautiful. Expand
  25. May 7, 2012
    one of the most challenging games I play but well worth the time I put in Dark souls is one of the best game out there you die during the first few hours of the game but you steady get better until does enemy that gave you a challenge are a piece of cake but mess up and you will be right back to the bonefie
  26. May 15, 2012
    My favorite game of 2011. I've invested more time in this than BF3, CODMW3, and Skyrim combined. I don't know what it is about this game that I love, the difficulty, the dark environments, or all the insane armor and equipment combinations and spells that there are. Def pick this game up if you've got lots of free time and love a challenge.
  27. May 15, 2012
    It's been a long time since a game drew me in and made me want to play for hours, days, weeks...you get the point. FROM renewed my faith in gaming and I hope other developers are taking notes.
  28. May 17, 2012
    This game is a lot of fun and it has a great combat system. The boss fights are epic, you will easily find yourself playing this for dozens of hours. On the other hand, the controls feel unresponsive at times and the game has some camera problems, specially during boss battles.
  29. Jun 28, 2012
    Pros:
    It is open world, with roughly equal graphics and frame rate to Skyrim. However, Dark Souls has no load screens. It's all seemless. Characters are graphically worse than Skyrim, but lighting and textures are generally better. LOD is much better in Dark Souls. Never any pop-in anywhere.
    Pros:

The characters are all killable, even the important ones. Some people might consider this a con, but I prefer realistic consequences and choices. It adds a new sense of urgency, caring, and caution that most games don't have. Voice acting is consistently good, and most npcs have informal, subtle quests attached.

There are multiple endings, but the chocies that lead you to the endings are hard to find and complex. There is both co-op and pvp online. Both modes are very fun, and take place in the seemless open world.

Variety- Dark Souls has a lot of it. Everything is unique. There are some very breathtaking set pieces, but everywhere in the game is a pleasure to look at in art direction and detail. Nothing is copy-pasted. Hidden areas- there are a lot of them, and they add replayability to the game, and stop backtracking from getting stale.

Unique loot- Most weapons and armor sets in the game are unique, and very hard to get. This makes getting things feel very rewarding. Much of the gear also has interesting special affects. For example, the heavy attack of the gargoyle tail ax makes the blade curve in 360 degrees all the way around your character.

Covenants- Basically online guilds that you can join (if you can find them in their hidden areas), they offer unique equipment and abilities in exchange for your services. Their special abilities are amazing. For example, one of them lets become a weird dragon-human hybrid thing and breath fire.

Crafting- you can craft and upgrade many weapons along branching upgrade trees using a variety of items which you can find, or take off of dead enemies. Multiple styles of play- You can play as a melee character, an archer, assassin, mage, etc. The weapons and spells are all very unique. Dual wield is possible. Inversely, you can choose to use a one-handed weapon in two hands to improve its affectiveness. You can block or dodge as well- blocking is useful for tanks, dodging more so for lighter characters.

No level restrictions- some items require you to have certain stats to use them well, but no items have actual level restrictions. If you get it, you can use it.

Realistic equip burden- Equipping heavy items without sufficiently high strength will slow all of your actions down progressively more, making it harder to run and dodge if you're wearing a ton of things.

Banking items- you can bank as many items as you want thanks to unlimited storage at bonfires. All bonfire storage areas are linked, so you can access anything from any bonfire.

No glitches- never, in all my time playing Dark Souls, have I seen a gltich. Apparently there were a few at first, but they got patched out in about a day after release.

No memory leaks- you can play for countless hours, and your frame rate will not lower due to memory leaks. Nice soundtrack- Music is rare in Dark Souls, but the music that there is is well-composed and never annoying. It conveys the intended moods perfectly. Great atmosphere- Tons of sound effects, small details, consistent colors, a great and unified art direction, and great lighting, and fluid animations on everything make the world seem vibrant and alive, even when everything is dead or trying to make you dead. :P

It's a long game- On average, it takes 80 hours to complete, but completionists may spend upwards of 120 hours on each playthrough, and it's not possible to get all the content on one playthrough, because some choices open up some areas or items and close others. New game+ :You keep all your level ups and items, and restart the story from the beginning as many times as you want. Enemy variety- there are tons of different enemy types- far more than in any competing rpg. All of them require different strategies to beat.

Optional bosses- Eight of the game's many bosses are optional, and some will even help you as long as the correct choices are made, but the game never tells you how to get out of fighting them. Neutral (Could be good, could be bad)

No "real" quests- There are quests in Dark Souls, but none of them are journalized, so many people think there are none. You'll have to remember things, or write them down. Quests are very informal- they're more of requests from npcs than anything else. However, they are epic.

No map- There is no map for Dark Souls. This would be a con, excepts, everything is so unique and the LOD is so good, you never get lost anyway. The game is VERY difficult, but never unfair.

Cons:

Pvp is quite laggy. (Co-op is fine.)
  30. Jun 18, 2012
    My first (westernized) Japanese-published game, and I was completely blown away. After having accepted my fate of countless deaths due to clever traps, incredibly exciting bosses and monsters in general, I understood the world that is Dark Souls. This game will test you, and punish you for mistakes. You're going to be both laughing and crying as a result of the many, many deaths, but it'sMy first (westernized) Japanese-published game, and I was completely blown away. After having accepted my fate of countless deaths due to clever traps, incredibly exciting bosses and monsters in general, I understood the world that is Dark Souls. This game will test you, and punish you for mistakes. You're going to be both laughing and crying as a result of the many, many deaths, but it's all apart of the process.
    This game is really a gem, with choices that MATTER, being final and in many cases irreversible, and a multiplayer system that's completely different from what I was used to, but still fun and creative, allowing for both cooperative play and PvP.

I bought this game purely because of the fact that it had been described as the "hardest video game" (or at least the spiritual successor to just that), and I have NOT been disappointed!

I had to take one score-point off the perfect ten, because of the poor performance in Blight Town, which was a bit of an annoyance.
  31. Gow
    May 28, 2012
    Don't let this game's reputation for "extreme difficulty" discourage you! I've never been a fan of very difficult games, but Dark Souls is one of the best PS3 purchases I've ever made. The combat is reactive and fun, but this is the sort of game where offense really isn't the best defence -- if you don't keep your shield up or dodge an incoming attack, there's no forgiveness. Even standardDon't let this game's reputation for "extreme difficulty" discourage you! I've never been a fan of very difficult games, but Dark Souls is one of the best PS3 purchases I've ever made. The combat is reactive and fun, but this is the sort of game where offense really isn't the best defence -- if you don't keep your shield up or dodge an incoming attack, there's no forgiveness. Even standard minions might take you down a few times, but the feeling of mastery you get in this game is rarely found in others. As others have stated, you do feel genuine pride after taking down some of the harder bosses (but don't worry, they're not all that daunting).

On the aesthetical side, the graphics and creature/weapon/stage design are all top grade. The story of the game is told with little direct exposition, but fits well in the game world which really does feel very solid.

My first playthrough took me close to 40 hours, most of which was exploration and doing optional side bosses. It's definitely doable in far less time, but there's so much well-designed content and fun little quirks in this game that putting in some extra hours is definitely worthwhile.
  32. Jun 16, 2012
    It's really, really good. Combat extremely hard, but incredibly satisfying; parry repast takes a lot of practice, but once you have it down, nothing makes you feel more suav. Loads of classes for easy customisation, you can truly be whatever you want! Bosses grotesque and huge, again very, very difficult, but each death spurs you on to try again (last boss took about 8 tries)! Armour looksIt's really, really good. Combat extremely hard, but incredibly satisfying; parry repast takes a lot of practice, but once you have it down, nothing makes you feel more suav. Loads of classes for easy customisation, you can truly be whatever you want! Bosses grotesque and huge, again very, very difficult, but each death spurs you on to try again (last boss took about 8 tries)! Armour looks incredible, as do high-end weapons, amazing graphics, fantastic atmosphere, and the boss soundtracks are second to none. Just watch out for the four kings! Expand
  33. Jul 18, 2012
    First of all i have to say that the story is not that good or epic. But the game play and the atmosphere is epic. First you have no clue where to go or what to do. No NPC that says go there kill X come back and then bla bla. You have all the choice's to make. The fight system is skill based so its very rewarding for skilled players and very punishing for lesser skilled people, but you getFirst of all i have to say that the story is not that good or epic. But the game play and the atmosphere is epic. First you have no clue where to go or what to do. No NPC that says go there kill X come back and then bla bla. You have all the choice's to make. The fight system is skill based so its very rewarding for skilled players and very punishing for lesser skilled people, but you get into it really quick. All in all its very good game for people who like this genre. Expand
  34. Aug 14, 2012
    First things first this game is as difficult as people have been saying but never in my life have i found a rpg or even game quite like this not only i don't rage every time i die i learn from my mistake and overcome like at the start a powerful armoured knight was guarding something i died going head on but then i found out if i lure him to the building with the ladders i could safelyFirst things first this game is as difficult as people have been saying but never in my life have i found a rpg or even game quite like this not only i don't rage every time i die i learn from my mistake and overcome like at the start a powerful armoured knight was guarding something i died going head on but then i found out if i lure him to the building with the ladders i could safely bombard him with firebombs and arrows i am loving this game so far and recommend this as a must buy for rpg enthusiast's or gamers who like a challenge Expand
  35. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a HARD 10, there is no other series like the souls series in terms of smart, connected level design, brooding ambiance, and consistent controls. I cannot stress the quality of the controls enough, they are absolutely perfect. This is a game that makes no concessions for BAD PLAYERS. Repeat, if you are a bad player who has been spoiled by the glut of hand-holding, cooing sissyThis game is a HARD 10, there is no other series like the souls series in terms of smart, connected level design, brooding ambiance, and consistent controls. I cannot stress the quality of the controls enough, they are absolutely perfect. This is a game that makes no concessions for BAD PLAYERS. Repeat, if you are a bad player who has been spoiled by the glut of hand-holding, cooing sissy games that let you save anywhere without any consequences whatsoever, then GO AWAY. I wish I could stuff you all into a box and launch you into the sun, unfortunately that box would have to be **** huge considering that the majority of gamers seem to consist of these sissy man-children.

This game takes PATIENCE. There is no sprinting through levels, jumping around like a ****ing idiot collecting rings or coins or whatever, if you want to play one of those games, take your pick of the ump-dillion sonic and mario clones out there, this is a game for real people, this game will kick each and every poser's ass until they cry about it on metacritic about why they are such bad players.

NOTE: In the beginning, you WILL suck at this game, but if you are smart, you can get up to speed in just a few hours of play. It is extremely helpful to watch a few videos on how experienced dark souls players play the game. Remember, patience is the key. When traversing a new area, WALK. Dont sprint like an idiot, there could be curse basilisks around the corner or some other variety of ungodly horror's waiting to eat your souls.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy finding out what lurks within the depths of this dark tomb.
  36. Aug 15, 2012
    An amazing game, I've put in at least 500 hours into multiple different character builds, there is so much to do, so many little things to see, and so many different character builds to master..
    Although the Pvp is little broken, it's still great if you find a fair fight..
    Pve offers much more in the way of community play, item trading, Ng+ and regular game cross over (beware).. I've
    Although the Pvp is little broken, it's still great if you find a fair fight..
    I've got plenty of games, but this one keeps bringing me back to play it over and over again..
  37. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is definitely not for everyone. It's hard, it's unforgiving but i like every minutes of it ! The boss fight are all epic and challenging and you'll keep wanting for more. One of my greatest PS3 game.
  38. Nov 4, 2012
    To say the least, get the combat of a action game with a few neat innovations, and without the combos. Get the character creation, customization and limitation, with every point counting from a tactical RPG.
    Get the world a large book series, complete with hidden intricacies, plots and characters and make people read between the lines to find out more. Then mash them together and remove a tutorial. Take the hardest difficult, put it on steroids then repeat a few times. Prepare to die.
    This game then takes what a action RPG should be, and makes it perfect. Every fight, whether against a dragon, knight or un-dead feels challenging and worthwhile. Combat is about combining precision, tactics and execution. Lure out enemies so you don't get over whelmed, bunch them together for a fireball, all while watching your supply of potions and spells decrease. You shape your character how you want, with the story even offering flexibility its progression, as well as about 10 different stats to focus on for development (in comparison to certain RPG's with 2-3 development stats).
    But there's the beauty of the game. As you traverse the beautifully crafted areas of the world, you play as you character. And that's what makes it satisfying when you kill a normal enemy, sub-bosses releasing great happiness. After your character figures out how to beat a boss after dying to them a bazillion times you receive a sense of satisfaction and ecstasy that no other game can provide. And that's why you play dark souls.
  39. May 4, 2014
    Edge magazine listed this as a retrospective 10/10 in a recent article along with games like n64 goldeneye, and they are correct, I spent the same amount of time trying to crack this one, unmissable.
  40. Oct 26, 2013
    Yes, it might be difficult. But it won't prevent this game from being a masterpiece. Every single place has it's own storyline, the music is awesome and the gameplay is improved from Demon's Souls. Many people complain about the graphics, but it's great, imo.
    Only bad thing about this game is frustrating multiplayer PvP system. Servers might get cheesy and it gets even more frustrating.
  41. Dec 18, 2013
    Wow, what a game. Do yourself a favor and play Demon's Souls before you start this game. I promised you'll thank me for it. Has the best combat and an amazing atmosphere with a perfectly balanced difficulty from the days of old like the castlevania on the NES. A masterpiece realized.
  42. Dec 20, 2013
    This game gives you everything you want; fun,story,challenge etc. Especially the story part but you'll probably don't get the half of the things that happened in the Dark Souls universe. If you want to learn this great story, you'll better off watching the lore videos on Youtube or if you want to learnt it by yourself, you can always check the item descriptions etc. So yeah, as i said,This game gives you everything you want; fun,story,challenge etc. Especially the story part but you'll probably don't get the half of the things that happened in the Dark Souls universe. If you want to learn this great story, you'll better off watching the lore videos on Youtube or if you want to learnt it by yourself, you can always check the item descriptions etc. So yeah, as i said, this game gives you everything you want. So what else do you want from it? Expand
  43. Feb 4, 2014
    Dark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, aDark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, a creative mix of exp and currency called souls and a dark and detailed lore coupled with detailed mechanics and stats this game offers an unforgettable adventure that you can play time and time again. Expand
  44. Oct 18, 2011
    This game is stunning both in presentation, game mechanics, and controls. A spiritual successor to 'Demon's Souls', this game improves upon nearly every aspect of the former game (which was also a fantastic game). Let's talk difficulty - yes, it's tough. Really tough. But, it is also in most all cases fair. The game requires you to invest yourself into it in a way most games do not. YouThis game is stunning both in presentation, game mechanics, and controls. A spiritual successor to 'Demon's Souls', this game improves upon nearly every aspect of the former game (which was also a fantastic game). Let's talk difficulty - yes, it's tough. Really tough. But, it is also in most all cases fair. The game requires you to invest yourself into it in a way most games do not. You need to be observant of both your surroundings and enemies attacks. You need to manage what you are wearing and what is equipped at all times as different areas require different strategies and defenses. That being said, you have many options on how you want to build your character depending on your play style. The sense of accomplishment you get upon each new area you have mastered or boss you have defeated is glorious. You will die. Often. But, in this game, what does kill you - makes you stronger. You learn from each defeat and come back a little wiser and eventually a little stronger. When you come back to enemies later in the game that you thought were so difficult and now dispatch them easily, it's an awesome feeling. Do not miss this game and do not fear the challenge. It is worth all your efforts and is easily a game you can sink dozens of hours into (I'm 70 hrs in). The graphics and atmosphere draw you into a beautiful and terrifying world unlike any other. What's around that next bend...dare I look? Enjoy this instant masterpiece. Expand
  45. Nov 1, 2011
    This is, quite simply, one of the most stunning and beutiful games ever created. Dark Souls is a very hard game, but, as with any game perserverance prevails. As you play through, you will find the game does actually give the player some respite ( like obvious level up spots) and isnt as punishing as first thought. The combat to be fair, is a little tricky to start with, but is easy to getThis is, quite simply, one of the most stunning and beutiful games ever created. Dark Souls is a very hard game, but, as with any game perserverance prevails. As you play through, you will find the game does actually give the player some respite ( like obvious level up spots) and isnt as punishing as first thought. The combat to be fair, is a little tricky to start with, but is easy to get used to. Those who complain about the combat and aggresive AI, and rated it low for those reasons, simply are not good enough to play Dark Souls, therefore its a problem with the player and not the game. There are some glitchy AI moments ( like enemies falling off cliffs ect) but thats a good thing given the game is punishing at times. Overall, if you even remotely like the style of this game, then be prepared to be blown away with ecitement, frustration and relief in one rollercoaster of emotions, with gaming moments you will never, ever forget. This game is far beyond the reach of its pretenders. Expand
  46. Feb 16, 2012
    Amazing game. Sunk 80 hours on first play through and there's no fat. Great combat, amazing atmosphere and some of the most rewarding moments playing a game. It's very difficult but in a good way--not hard like we just throw a ton of enemies at you--more like "it's a dangerous place out there and we warned you." Definitely pick up this game!
  47. Oct 18, 2011
    Not as hard as some of the folks here are saying, while it does have its "difficult" moments, all that's required to overcome those is simply being patient enough to study attack patterns. It has just the right amount of challenge to keep players interested but in the end it's kind enough to let you through most of the challenges with just a little bit of trial and error, assuming you'reNot as hard as some of the folks here are saying, while it does have its "difficult" moments, all that's required to overcome those is simply being patient enough to study attack patterns. It has just the right amount of challenge to keep players interested but in the end it's kind enough to let you through most of the challenges with just a little bit of trial and error, assuming you're not just blindly rushing forward. Expand
  48. Sep 17, 2012
    One of the most challenging games I have ever played, this game is hard, and you will die a lot if you do not learn from your errors, you need to adapt to your enemies techniques, and balance the the use of evasion movements, defensive approaches and attack patterns.///////////Enemies have their own, add they use to hide and make ambushes, cornering you and making you pay any recklessOne of the most challenging games I have ever played, this game is hard, and you will die a lot if you do not learn from your errors, you need to adapt to your enemies techniques, and balance the the use of evasion movements, defensive approaches and attack patterns.///////////Enemies have their own, add they use to hide and make ambushes, cornering you and making you pay any reckless behavior you can make, luck will save you a couple of times, but mostly, your skills and speed of learning will give you an edge to beat this game.///////////Mistakes are paid dearly but once you nail an enemy, you become stronger, not only you character, the game have some items that make you life easier, this bring up something very important, all in this game matters, that little herb, a little knife, all of them have their purpose and can make you have advantage over enemies and certain situations, spells, miracles, some may seem useless, but they can save your life in daring situations//////This brings up this game is not hack and slash as you may already guess, most times you will be attacking, but defending, hiding and running will make your day also.////////There is a deep character customization, as first glance is not noticeable, but you will learn that specialization is a good bet, you scale your stats, and some weapons scale with the stats you have the most, but others with stats you scale the less making them less effective, for instance, a knife can be more lethal in an assassin built than in a warrior one, there is no advantage of one class over another, the skill you have with them will make win online matches as well as in the single player.//////Music and graphics are average, but design is superb, scenery and enemy design are awesome, you feel there is a sense of uniqueness in each one of them, as for the story, it is lessen, there are not big cut scenes and long dialogues, almost everything is explained though the menu, where you can read the story of each item you have, this will not stop you from understanding the world you are playing in, each character as a real meaning history and an air of mystery you will have to research.////////////This game is part of the history of gaming, you can decide if you will be part of it or not. Expand
  49. Oct 5, 2011
    Very similar to Demons Souls which is a little dissapointing. in some sense, i notice similar attack patterns and just a lot of the same thing. but there are new things too like the ability to leap from a sprint. but the world and story are brand new which i really like. bonfires act as checkpoints, tho there are few.
  50. Oct 17, 2011
    Simply awesome. I can't say enough about the level design. It is truely in a class of it's own. No warp system as seen in Demon's Souls, but instead you end up opening clever shortcuts so eventually you can get most anywhere in a matter of minutes. Also, plenty of out-of-the-way places to explore and find items/souls. The combat is exactly like Demon's Souls. Once you learn an enemy'sSimply awesome. I can't say enough about the level design. It is truely in a class of it's own. No warp system as seen in Demon's Souls, but instead you end up opening clever shortcuts so eventually you can get most anywhere in a matter of minutes. Also, plenty of out-of-the-way places to explore and find items/souls. The combat is exactly like Demon's Souls. Once you learn an enemy's moves it's more a matter of patience than anything, although bosses require perfect timing as well. They added tons of new armour, weapons, and items compared to Demon's Souls and they got rid of the 1/2 HP thing if you're not in body form. Now it's "Hollowed" and "Human" form. The only difference is you need Human form to summon/be summoned/invade. They also did away with the "world tendancy" mechanic of Demon's Souls which is great. Basically it's a simplified game compared to DS, yet retaining all the challenge and adding a lot more awesomesauce. Tons of mini bosses and unique enemies.

Only complaint is terrible framerate drops, especially in Blighttown.
  51. Oct 13, 2011
    If you liked Demons' Souls then u will no doubt like this game as its more of the same but really improved. I wanna keep this short as i mainly wanted to argue points made by the negative reviews of this game. This game is without a doubt hard. It's meant to be hard. You are meant to die! If you make it through this game without dying then you're the messiah of the gaming world. This gameIf you liked Demons' Souls then u will no doubt like this game as its more of the same but really improved. I wanna keep this short as i mainly wanted to argue points made by the negative reviews of this game. This game is without a doubt hard. It's meant to be hard. You are meant to die! If you make it through this game without dying then you're the messiah of the gaming world. This game is all about patience and persistence, for those of you who haven't played Demons' Souls then it may take a while to get along the flow of the game. This game tries to be realistic, in a lot of games you can just run up to most enemies (even ones you've never encountered before) and just hack it to death. In this game you really have to be highly cautious, you gotta go in shield up and ready to dodge many attacks. This game is without a doubt trial and error but that doesn't necessary mean you have to die. You just have to play defense A LOT. I agree this game can be frustrating when it comes to bugs but as long as you're always cautious they dont cause too many problems. As for the guy who said the skeletons teleported ????? Maybe I haven't got to them yet but are you sure it wasnt just the fact that you have a poor internet connection. Anyways this game is really great and if you fancy yourself a good gamer and want a real challenge I would highly recommend it. Oh I would also like to say the visuals are very unique and pretty. I would say the one fault the game has is its story as there's a very simple plot. I guess the designers thought it better to just let the player immerse themselves into the game. Expand
  52. Feb 1, 2012
    As an artist an ardent RPG gamer, I want to commend and thank the developers of Dark Souls. Many reviewers have praised the stellar combat; enigmatic suspense; level of challenge; memorable, strategic boss fights, etc. Perhaps there has not been adequate comment on the lovingly-crafted art design. This is a beautiful game. Locales consistently contain both wondrous grandeur andAs an artist an ardent RPG gamer, I want to commend and thank the developers of Dark Souls. Many reviewers have praised the stellar combat; enigmatic suspense; level of challenge; memorable, strategic boss fights, etc. Perhaps there has not been adequate comment on the lovingly-crafted art design. This is a beautiful game. Locales consistently contain both wondrous grandeur and meticulous natural and architectural detail. My favorite definition of art was by a renowned philosopher,"Art reflects reality but transcends it." Surely, evocative, beautiful games are art. 10 Tombo Expand
  53. Oct 5, 2011
    If the game is as good as it is right now, 10/10. This game has shown that a company is willing to give it's audience a real challenge. While Demon's Souls was just 'unforgiving', Dark Souls is down right hard. And in this current day and age of gaming, that's what we need. If you did not heed the warning of "Prepare to die", you prove yourself another fool of our gaming society.
  54. Oct 4, 2011
    Really enjoying the game. I have to agree with aspentitan though, I was expecting a hard copy of the mini-guide w/ the preorder. I happen to work in a studio where i could mock up a perfect bound copy of the mini-guide but it was quite a bit of work and i'm a little nuts that way. Really weird page sizes though.
    anyway, I'm not about to lower the score for the game though... Rugged game,
    anyway, I'm not about to lower the score for the game though... Rugged game, as advertised. tempted to give a 10, but its against my own personal game rating code.
  55. Oct 13, 2011
    If you played and loved Demon's Souls, don't bother reading the rest of this message and get Dark Souls NOW. For the rest of you, let me say I read A LOT of reviews and I'd like to point out a few things, as objectively as I can.
    The game is not difficult in itself, it has very clear mechanics, and the players are given options to counter these mechanics. It's not "Ninja Gaiden" difficult, where you need to memorize gazillions of combos and execute them in an instant. It's more of a "watch your opponent closely, observe his movements, how he holds his weapon, and if you make a wrong decision/move you die" difficult.
    If you know/have played EvE Online, well then DS is to other RPG's what EvE is to MMOs. You don't spam skills after you built up your character talent tree, you choose your armor and weapon based on "realistic" weight/damage/armor ratio. A two handed weapon and a plate armor makes you tough and hard hitting, but moving will be a problem (and in DS you want to be mobile).
    Pick a Sword, and your attack will be a swinging slash. Pick a Spear, your attack will be a thrust forward. In a narrow corridor for example, equipping a sword will be a problem, whereas wielding a spear will be more indicated. A blunt weapon will do more damage to skeletons and constructs then other damage types. That's how the game is built. Choice of weapon is yours, pick the right one for the right challenge. Magic does not deplete your mana bar like it's predecessor. Instead you have a limited number of uses (reminds me of old time pen&paper D&D).
    Bosses are sometimes cruel, sometime easy, depending on your build (magic vs. melee, but you can have a bit of both) and reflexes. If you get your ass kicked too easily in a zone, then you should probably try to go elsewhere first and come back later.
    The only little flaws i can point out are: Inventory could have been improved a bit (for example, to consume souls in your inventory you still have to open it again for each soul), the fact that the amount of souls required to level up is not shown anymore is annoying (you'll need a mix of good memory and guessing to plan a safe trip back to a bonefire), and sometimes the camera angle is really at your disadvantage, especially when you have an enemy locked. But that's not enough to stop me from giving this game a 10 (9.5 would have been perfect, but 9 is not enough).
  56. Oct 5, 2011
    Beautiful,brutal,exciting,frustrating and satisfying are just a few words describing Dark Souls.The tightest controls I can think of and the amazing design leave me almost breathless.It has some of the best 'levels' and enemies ever seen in a game.Is it tough?Oh yes indeed,and too hard in a few places as well.Skill and perseverence are at the forefront here and this game is not for theBeautiful,brutal,exciting,frustrating and satisfying are just a few words describing Dark Souls.The tightest controls I can think of and the amazing design leave me almost breathless.It has some of the best 'levels' and enemies ever seen in a game.Is it tough?Oh yes indeed,and too hard in a few places as well.Skill and perseverence are at the forefront here and this game is not for the weak or impatient.A true test of your gaming skills and destined to be remembered.A must have! Expand
  57. Oct 6, 2011
    This game is amazing. It challenges you to actually think about what you are fighting look at the AI and see how they behave and then react to it. There are tons of improvements to the game play, and lots of fun changes. The AI is aggressive, cheap, and very zombie-like, meaning if you can goat them they will fall off cliffs trying to get at you. My favorite thing to do with them is toThis game is amazing. It challenges you to actually think about what you are fighting look at the AI and see how they behave and then react to it. There are tons of improvements to the game play, and lots of fun changes. The AI is aggressive, cheap, and very zombie-like, meaning if you can goat them they will fall off cliffs trying to get at you. My favorite thing to do with them is to just kick them off a cliff watching a zombie spartan fall to their doom. The only downsides for me are that the blood stains no longer give you a red shadow of the player, and that you gave to use items to leave messages for other players instead of just writing and recommending them. You must experience this game if you are up for a challenge. Expand
  58. Oct 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark souls and Demons souls are the best rpg games ever made,if you want something very very strong here is the chance.But you must know that these game are very dificult games. Expand
  59. Oct 6, 2011
    I hope they never stop creating this kind of games. It's the rebirth of a genre and it's the best of it's kind. The toughness, the strategies, the possibilities, the graphics, the enemies, the combat, everything is as superior as you can get.
  60. Oct 5, 2011
    This game is extremely fun, but in my opinion it's a game that has to suit your personality. I am a stubborn person; if its winter and I'm cold and wet, then screw it I'm fine. If I don't get a goal this game, then I'll get a goal and an assist the next one. This is why Dark Souls is great! It's for people like me where, if you fail (which you will) you will get back in the ring for roundThis game is extremely fun, but in my opinion it's a game that has to suit your personality. I am a stubborn person; if its winter and I'm cold and wet, then screw it I'm fine. If I don't get a goal this game, then I'll get a goal and an assist the next one. This is why Dark Souls is great! It's for people like me where, if you fail (which you will) you will get back in the ring for round two...three...ten! You will master this game eventually, eventually you will make this game your **** not the other way around. You have fun getting your ass handed to you, but then later that boss will be no match for you. Controls are as responsive as they should be. Motions like 'sprint' and 'roll' are 1:1, which is perfect because those will be your best friend. The art style is amazing, and the level design is very seamless. Although every area is distinctly different, they still have a similar style where you know you are in the same world. I am docking one mark off and giving it a 9/10 because the menu is inferior to Demon's Souls and I am far slower with it. Also some audio just sounds cheap. SOME! It is mostly good, but somethings like grass for example sounds like you are rubbing two winter coats together.

This game is not for the faint of heart - but it is full of heart - you will lose a lot, possibly get a bit frustrated, but once you get good (even DS vets will have a bit to get used to) its just an amazing action JRPG.
  61. Oct 7, 2011
    Dark Souls is Hard. Very Hard but even though I've died over 100 times. I never thought my deaths were cheap and I always learned from my mistakes.
    This game is unbelievably addictive and the combat is flawless.
    the Graphics are beautiful and the online component is unique and well executed , What more is there to say? In my eyes Dark souls is a perfect game and if you;re up for the
    This game is unbelievably addictive and the combat is flawless.

What more is there to say?
    In my eyes Dark souls is a perfect game and if you;re up for the challenge it's a must have
  62. Nov 4, 2011
    Near perfect game, not as hard as demon souls though which is a little disappointing but other than that This is one of the best games out this year and everyone should pick this up.
  63. Oct 15, 2011
    One of the best RPG's available deep and engaging, punishing but fair. The combat is satisfying and the open world is atmospheric. It would be an easy ten if it weren't for the frequent frame rate issues and graphical oddities.
  64. Dec 21, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. This is one of the best games I've ever played. I love this game for it's deep game play and immersive atmosphere. It's quite a long game despite the fact you will die a lot. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding when challenges are met. It kind of has an arcade feel as well with enemies respawning and trying to find patterns andThis is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. This is one of the best games I've ever played. I love this game for it's deep game play and immersive atmosphere. It's quite a long game despite the fact you will die a lot. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding when challenges are met. It kind of has an arcade feel as well with enemies respawning and trying to find patterns and weaknesses of enemies. I call this game and Demon's Souls the Mega Man of RPGs. I can honestly say this is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  65. Oct 17, 2011
    Dark Souls separates boys from girls as its predecessor Demon's Souls did in 2009. The DS series aren't made for everybody and that's a fact. If you're new into the franchise I suggest you to read about DS gameplay, mechanics, the basics, tips, the guide, etc. It's going to help you a lot. You can also watch reviews, walkthroughs, gameplay, etc on youtube if you want to cheat a bit whenDark Souls separates boys from girls as its predecessor Demon's Souls did in 2009. The DS series aren't made for everybody and that's a fact. If you're new into the franchise I suggest you to read about DS gameplay, mechanics, the basics, tips, the guide, etc. It's going to help you a lot. You can also watch reviews, walkthroughs, gameplay, etc on youtube if you want to cheat a bit when you're stock. If you don't find a lot of info about Dark Souls visit http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/. The structure and game are pretty similar. Read about "Soul form" vs"Body form" / "Undead" vs "Humanity" in these game and you'll understand it better. There is a reason for all this. Unique multiplayer experience is amazing and so helpful. Sorry dear gamers, if you all cry because you all die a lot in a video game like DS, well... that's because you got used to "easy" games. Everything has a consequence in here... DS doesn't forget... So if you decide to attack the first NPC that is on your way, don't expect him to forget it when you re-spawn. C'mon this is not the first time that games do that kind of stuff... Don't blame the game dude... Also, if you find extremely difficult to pass an area maybe it's because you shouldn't be there in the first place: Go somewhere else... Don't **** ask for a map... Just explore DS world. This game is really awesome!!! Expand
  66. Oct 14, 2011
    This game is not for everyone, but it should be reviewed on what it promised to deliver and it did deliver, a ruthless RPG unlike any other(exception Demon Souls) with a unique online expierence, amazing visual enviroment and sound.
  67. Oct 20, 2011
    Dark Souls shines in its dreariness, but a few minor quibbles mar a chance at perfection. The gameplay in Dark Souls is spot on, and requires both memorization and skill to effectively conquer the game's numerous challenges. Combat is crisp and inspired. The level design, aside from one late game area, easily warrants an award in and of itself. The developers raised the bar for every gameDark Souls shines in its dreariness, but a few minor quibbles mar a chance at perfection. The gameplay in Dark Souls is spot on, and requires both memorization and skill to effectively conquer the game's numerous challenges. Combat is crisp and inspired. The level design, aside from one late game area, easily warrants an award in and of itself. The developers raised the bar for every game from this point on. Each world and area interconnects with the others, eliminating the need for jarring fast travel systems. The music is subtle, but appropriate, and the graphics are a major advancement form the previous installation. The one area, though, where the game loses points is, unfortunately, technical prowess. It stutters at points and lags in certain areas, adding an unneeded difficulty and jarring the otherwise brilliantly crafted suspension of disbelief. Do not let this frighten you, though. Dark Souls is brilliant and frustrating, challenging and rewarding, and you owe it to yourself to experience this ride. Expand
  68. Jan 7, 2012
    So, I accepted the challenge. The gauntlet was dropped with the term "prepare to die". We shall see, I scoffed. After all, I research games well before I buy 'em and I am pretty picky when it comes to my games collection. Having never played the first one (demon's) my initial thoughts were that it's a more beautiful Onimusha. Thump. The skeletons lance ended my killing spree like aSo, I accepted the challenge. The gauntlet was dropped with the term "prepare to die". We shall see, I scoffed. After all, I research games well before I buy 'em and I am pretty picky when it comes to my games collection. Having never played the first one (demon's) my initial thoughts were that it's a more beautiful Onimusha. Thump. The skeletons lance ended my killing spree like a marshmallow at a boy scout 'bonfire' picnic... fast forward. I have just finished the iron golem boss. I am totally hooked. Days flow into one another. I eat, dream, sleep Dark Souls, I strategize while nodding and staring blankly at my girlfriends banter. I have managed to find a seller of the original Demon's Souls (un-opened he says!). This is what gaming should be like. Should I switch on the internet? Nah, I'll wait for NG+, those souls and humanity were far to hard gained to risk it playing online with those robbers and thieves... for now. Expand
  69. Oct 4, 2011
    After an hour of game play from picking up this beautiful game at midnight, I have nothing but positive things to say. The graphics are amazing, the controls are much more precise than Demon's Souls were, and the enemies are no joke. An early warning for those who haven't played Demon's Souls; You are suppose to die, learn from your mistakes, and die again. I'm proud to say that I diedAfter an hour of game play from picking up this beautiful game at midnight, I have nothing but positive things to say. The graphics are amazing, the controls are much more precise than Demon's Souls were, and the enemies are no joke. An early warning for those who haven't played Demon's Souls; You are suppose to die, learn from your mistakes, and die again. I'm proud to say that I died only twice in my first hour, but without my previous experience with Demon's Souls, I would've died at least 10 times. I have a feeling that some Xbox360 players will be frustrated with Dark Souls more often because most of them didn't get a chance to play Demon's Souls. After work today, I plan on wasting my entire evening exploring Dark Souls, and possibly the next few months will be spent mastering this game as well :)

I have this game for the PS3, so if anyone wants to join up, just send me a friend request (PSN username is the same as this one here). Remember to have fun. Good luck to all, you're gonna need it.
  70. Oct 5, 2011
    Brutal, intense, challenging yet equally immersive, beautiful, rewarding...Yes, this is a game that takes patience and determination to overcome even the most basic areas that would be considered "easy" in other games. I played 2009's Demon's Souls, and while I never completed that game, I was excited to play this one. Level design, character models, enemy design, detail in graphics andBrutal, intense, challenging yet equally immersive, beautiful, rewarding...Yes, this is a game that takes patience and determination to overcome even the most basic areas that would be considered "easy" in other games. I played 2009's Demon's Souls, and while I never completed that game, I was excited to play this one. Level design, character models, enemy design, detail in graphics and textures have all been improved. You owe it to yourself to enjoy this beautiful nightmare... Expand
  71. Oct 8, 2011
    Dark Souls is generally a good game with very few flaws. If you liked Demon's Souls, you owe it to yourself to pick it up. However, there are a few minor concerns about Dark Souls as it stands right now. First of all, there's some wonky hit boxes, which means that if you try to fire an arrow from a tower, you will have no chance of success, because the walls got much larger hit boxes thanDark Souls is generally a good game with very few flaws. If you liked Demon's Souls, you owe it to yourself to pick it up. However, there are a few minor concerns about Dark Souls as it stands right now. First of all, there's some wonky hit boxes, which means that if you try to fire an arrow from a tower, you will have no chance of success, because the walls got much larger hit boxes than they actually show. I've personally had tons of arrows get stuck in the air because of this, and this counts for spells too.

A second concern is that some enemies will randomly clip into walls and get stuck there, only to teleport back out again at a random time and completely wreck your face while you are unprepared. The game itself is not as punishing as Demon's Souls was, as there's more shortcuts to the checkpoint-bonfires, and when you die you aren't thrown as far back as you were in Demon's Souls, which is really excellent as it limits the frustration from the game. However, you will still die cheaply many times, either because of a stupid camera angle or simply because your character stumbled back after being poked by a rat, and then fell over a cliff. To top it off, the bosses feel repetitive and just.. not boring, but not as exciting and dangerous as they did in Demon's Souls. They will still onehit you, but they got very predictable patterns.

If you go for a speed build, you can easily dodge everything they throw at you, which leads to the last problem with the game; frame rate. The frame rate will randomly take HUGE hits at the worst of times, simply because there sometimes will be too many polygons at the screen at once. An example is when any monster breathes fire, that will basically right down **** up the frame rate.

Overall, a very good game that rewards a careful approach and smart mind, but there are some failures in the game that will put the really hardcore off. However, besides these small failures, the game is more or less perfect at what it tries to achieve, and being generally (in my opinion) more forgiving than Demon's Souls, it's easier for new players to get into as well.
  72. Oct 7, 2011
    My favorite game of the year so far, played demon souls but Dark Souls is so much better so far. Awesome environments, art style, the addition of bonfires, humanity, covenants, and so so much more. I am level 22 cleric now and dying to play when I get home even if I just scratch away at the rest of game. Skyrim can wait until I complete Dark Souls its that good.
  73. Oct 7, 2011
    WHAT A MASTERPIECE! To all of those that give this game a bad review, the only reason why you might give it one is because you are a weak little girl. This game is for MEN, not babies, and to those that cry because the game is brilliantly designed for master players, all I have to say is you should stay away. A truly wonderful experience. A PERFECT 10+!
  74. Oct 7, 2011
    Having played demons soul before I must say this game just cant be a let down!!!sure it's not for the faint hearted gamer because it is extremely difficult and unforgiving!!! Also very frustrating but the rewards are endless and the game is just beautiful and fantastic!!!!
  75. Oct 9, 2011
    Dark Souls is a MASTERPIECE. It's dark, twisted, beautiful, incredibly imaginative and a true challenge. The sense of accomplishment in this game makes all of the hardship and failure totally and utterly worth it. When you finally beat the massive demon that took you 20+ tries or even when you kill a group of the undead, you will feel so amazingly accomplished. The skill, strategy andDark Souls is a MASTERPIECE. It's dark, twisted, beautiful, incredibly imaginative and a true challenge. The sense of accomplishment in this game makes all of the hardship and failure totally and utterly worth it. When you finally beat the massive demon that took you 20+ tries or even when you kill a group of the undead, you will feel so amazingly accomplished. The skill, strategy and patience involved is downright brilliant. The controls are tight and very responsive; even more so than Demon's Souls. The weapons, both old and new, are awesome and fun to upgrade. The armor is more varied and in some cases, makes your character look like a total badass. The leveling up lets you decide what to enhance, making you able to, for instance, wield a certain weapon, move quicker, have more stamina etc. The environments are absolutely breathtaking. Some areas are bright vistas full of light colors and some areas are dank, depressing and destroyed. The world adds to the feel. It really feels like you are in the immersive world of Dark Souls. If you like RPG's(It isn't even that complicated), mid-evil environments, smart combat, strategy and a truly satisfying challenge, then this game is one of the best and most engrossing games you will ever experience. Expand
  76. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game that's all. Hoping it becomes goty. great controls and enhanced graphics. i loved demon's souls and i really really really love this one.
  77. Oct 10, 2011
    Having beaten Demon's Souls, I was very excited for this game, and it has not let me down. Having the bonfires placed around as quasi safe spots reminds me of the old resident evil days, when you were just waiting to find a typewriter. The atmosphere is much darker even though the color pallet is (in many places) much brighter. Can't wait to finish it!
  78. Oct 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After extensively playing Demon's Souls (100+ hours) and extensively playing Dark Souls (50+ hours, and counting) I would rate Dark Souls somewhere between a 9 and a 10.

The game itself is quite challenging, obviously. But not challenging as in requiring insane reflexes or with unfair enemy tactics, of which I have to say are few and far between. For the average boss fight, all that is required for the most part is knowledge. Knowledge of the boss' tactics, knowledge of the best ways to avoid them, and the best ways to deal damage, safely, utilizing the aforementioned knowledge. Taking the words from another reviewer, death in Dark Souls is a learning tool, not a punishment. If you died, there was most likely something you did wrong that, if you had reacted differently, wouldn't have lead to your death. If you had pulled that enemy away from the ledge you wouldn't have been knocked off. If you had split the enemies up you wouldn't have been overwhelmed. If you had blocked instead of attacked, you wouldn't have been chain-hit by three enemies. If you had run from the dragon rearing back instead of swinging, you wouldn't have been burned to a crisp. None of these instances require twitch reflexes, just a knowledge of what to do and not panicking enough to execute it properly. The only fight I can think of requiring actual, sincere luck, is a boss named Capra Demon. This fight is a demon twice your height wielding two large swords, and by himself, he is a pushover. However, thrown into this fight is also two small mobs. Two dogs. If you don't eliminate them quickly, you will be overwhelmed by the boss' two large swords and the two dogs repeatedly wailing on you. But once the dogs are down, the fight becomes simple. The luck doesn't even play a part for every type of character, just my own, a squishy little dagger-wielding rogue. A solid brick-wall of a shield would eliminate the group as a threat, something my rogue can't wield without serious concessions in mobility, if at all.

Compared to Dark Souls, this game has a few major changes:

It's open world. Exploration has become much more key, not just in finding items, but in finding shortcuts to cut down on travel time, and finding bonfires to cut down on time spent running back to your corpse, slaying the very things that slayed you. There is no Nexus, the only "safe hubs" in the game are bonfires, or any place you feel you have safely cleared out.

No more grass. The main method of healing is a Flask that defaults to 5 drinks per visit to the bonfire. You can "kindle" the bonfire, requiring a rare currency called Humanity, to allow you to leave a specific bonfire with 10 drinks. Essentially you have 5-10 heals to get to the next bonfire, or you'll quickly be either backtracking, or dieing.

Pyromancy, a magic that doesn't require any amount of stat investment, making it a magic that any character may fall back upon. Much more weapons, therefor much more options. Daggers are viable. Scythes are viable. Faith and Magic based characters have bows to fall back upon. Crossbows don't suck anymore. Parrying is made a bit easier, resulting in more characters relying on counter-attacks. (Most) all armor can be upgraded. If you like the way a set looks, upgrade it. Assuming its stats weren't complete crap, it should be viable. This applies to weapons as well.

After a certain level, your defenses (Blunt/Slashing/Piercing) stop going up with every point investment. There is a new stat governing JUST defenses, called Resistances. HP and Defenses are no longer rolled into a single stat.

Covenants. I look at them as ways to obtain phat loots, be it weapons or armor, or even spells. They are also an excuse to make other players' lives a living hell, or to get revenge on other players for doing so. As a member of the Forest Covenant, by wearing a ring I submit myself to being summoned whenever another player, in their own game, wishes to attack the forest's denizens. By defending the forest and slaying them, I increase my favor with the Forest Covenant, and in turn receive loot.

You do have a path to which you must follow to inevitably conclude the game, but the methods to which you follow that path are, for the most part, up to you. I have a character right now that could challenge three separate bosses, normally falling into a specific order, but I skipped two bosses on the "Linear Path" to beat the area of the third boss, so that I could obtain some phat lewts. A katana and a ninja-esque looking set, specifically. Overall, I rate the game as a VERY enjoyable experience with tons of hours of playtime. I'm 50 in and haven't beaten the game. Your mileage may vary :) I'm just taking my time.
  79. Oct 8, 2011
    I just got this game a few days ago and have been very much enjoying it. I have played some of demon souls previously and dark souls is much of the same, with a few improvements. The balance is just right, you will get frustrated but it wont stop you from wanting to continue and defeat the boss thats pissing you off and the satisfaction is great if you do. My only problem with the game isI just got this game a few days ago and have been very much enjoying it. I have played some of demon souls previously and dark souls is much of the same, with a few improvements. The balance is just right, you will get frustrated but it wont stop you from wanting to continue and defeat the boss thats pissing you off and the satisfaction is great if you do. My only problem with the game is that if you accidentally attack a NPC they become hostile and you cannot talk to them unless you start a new game. I also find it difficult to find summon signs while in human form. However these are only small gripes and the game is still brilliant. I would defiantly recommend this game to competent gamers. Prepare to die!! Expand
  80. Oct 10, 2011
    First off: I never played the original, so other reviews that claim that only fanboys of the original could love this game are hereby officially refuted. This ain't no beat-'em-up game; even the trash mobs will stomp your guts out if you are not careful. Rather, this game harkens back to the 8-bit days when developers still had the arcade philosophy of making games hard but compelling inFirst off: I never played the original, so other reviews that claim that only fanboys of the original could love this game are hereby officially refuted. This ain't no beat-'em-up game; even the trash mobs will stomp your guts out if you are not careful. Rather, this game harkens back to the 8-bit days when developers still had the arcade philosophy of making games hard but compelling in order to vacuum quarters out of kid's pockets. If you are like many players that have become jaded about how dumbed-down games have become, get this as you will either love it as I do, or concede that you didn't know what you were wishing for and go back to the usual games of casual ten-hour jaunts through eye candy. Expand
  81. Oct 8, 2011
    This game is a huge improvement over Demon's Souls. It has a lot more content and they removed the (in my opinion) annoying system of world tendency. In place is a humanity system which increases drop rates and affects various other things in the gameplay.

HOWEVER The multiplayer aspect of the game has become much, MUCH worse. You have to be in human form in order to see summoning

HOWEVER
    The multiplayer aspect of the game has become much, MUCH worse. You have to be in human form in order to see summoning signs/get invaded. This already makes sure there is not a lot of online action, because there are no real benefits of playing in human form rather than in Hollow form. In 50 hours of playing I haven't been invaded once, and summoning often fails. Furthermore you rarely see summoning signs/blood stains from other players. Reason for this is the change from a server to P2P online. People are put in lobbies and can only interact with people from that lobby. Your lobby changes when you log out and in. This means that if you play for quite a long time at once chances are you are alone in your lobby which results in no multiplayer for you. Also, this makes grouping up with friends (like in Demon's Souls, putting down your soul sign in a certain place) near impossible. It is not strange for people to literally try HOURS before finally being able to group up.

What a shame, From Software/Namco Bandai, the multiplayer mess up changes this grade from a 9.5 to an 8, since it is one of the biggest aspects of the game.
  82. Oct 18, 2011
    This game claimed my soul and did not let go of it, until I finished it. Dark Souls is a true dark fantasy with very evocative and haunting game world. There are amazing places to be seen and gruesome monsters to be fought. Light on story, the game concentrates on combat, which is relatively slow paced, but still requires split second timing of your actions in order to hit that opening inThis game claimed my soul and did not let go of it, until I finished it. Dark Souls is a true dark fantasy with very evocative and haunting game world. There are amazing places to be seen and gruesome monsters to be fought. Light on story, the game concentrates on combat, which is relatively slow paced, but still requires split second timing of your actions in order to hit that opening in an enemy's defense. The combat has impressive physics â Expand
  83. Oct 12, 2011
    Dark Souls does what Demon's Souls meant to, two years ago; perfect the RPG experience. This game is phenomenal, taking everything from the previous game and making it bigger and better. The game is quite expansive, spanning large environments that are littered with enemies. "Prepare to Die" is the catchphrase for this game, and it lives up to that. You will die, and die a lot. But,Dark Souls does what Demon's Souls meant to, two years ago; perfect the RPG experience. This game is phenomenal, taking everything from the previous game and making it bigger and better. The game is quite expansive, spanning large environments that are littered with enemies. "Prepare to Die" is the catchphrase for this game, and it lives up to that. You will die, and die a lot. But, there is a difference between dying in Dark Souls, and mostly every other game. In other games, when you die, it can be for various reasons: glitches, AI being overpowered and impossible to beat, etc. But, when you die in Dark Souls, it's because you made a mistake and you were punished. And, there is more than enough incentive to play through Dark Souls multiple times: i.e. multiple paths, collectibles, and alternative customization. Definitely a game for the hardcore, and an almost perfect game. Expand
  84. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is NOT for casual gamers. For anyone the played From Software's first title Demon's Souls you will know what to expect from DS. For newcomers however you are in for a surprise. This game is extremely demanding and does not mess around. This is a good thing .The visuals are second to none in the genre and the gameplay is as fine tuned as ever. A simple yet elegant control systemThis game is NOT for casual gamers. For anyone the played From Software's first title Demon's Souls you will know what to expect from DS. For newcomers however you are in for a surprise. This game is extremely demanding and does not mess around. This is a good thing .The visuals are second to none in the genre and the gameplay is as fine tuned as ever. A simple yet elegant control system makes combat smooth and satisfying. Yes, this game is extremely difficult. You are meant to learn from your mistakes. Deaths in DS do not feel cheap, you must be cautious going around EVERY corner. This is as hardcore as they come. And I have never played a more satisfying RPG. 60 bucks could not be spent on anything better! Expand
  85. Jan 26, 2012
    Darks souls is by far one of the greatest action RPGs to grace the home console, it's not for the fainthearted either, ruthlessness lies deep within the experience, as you will soon notice. What kind of game welcomes you open armed, with a good pummelling, and hair shredding enemies, it's not long before your reminded mentally with the words "prepare to die", oh right yes the warnings onDarks souls is by far one of the greatest action RPGs to grace the home console, it's not for the fainthearted either, ruthlessness lies deep within the experience, as you will soon notice. What kind of game welcomes you open armed, with a good pummelling, and hair shredding enemies, it's not long before your reminded mentally with the words "prepare to die", oh right yes the warnings on the box, and it seems many didn't go down the avenue of digging the info, before trekking deep into this mammoth ass kicking world. Dark souls is vast itch great, mythical, dark, yet beautifull dreamed up locales, as you deeper, and deeper, your greeted by campfires that offers little salvation than to level up, heal, upgrade weapons, and a deep breath from the achievement that fact that you waged to advance forward, after an attack from the fearless beasts, and gigantic hordes. The game s huge,and rewarding, and implements a new direction for rpg lovers, it boldly steps up the antics, and can't wait to see what's next. Giving it 10 because t truly deserves it, yes theirs always niggles for some, but after playing many games, the niggles are minuscule. Expand
  86. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is like it predecessor beautiful and challenging. Even for veterans of Demon Souls most of the monsters and bosses are completely fresh and innovative. It is hard, but not something most adults can handle with enough trial and error, and if you can you get the ability to summon other people relatively early, after second boss counting the tutorial one, thus gives yourself andThis game is like it predecessor beautiful and challenging. Even for veterans of Demon Souls most of the monsters and bosses are completely fresh and innovative. It is hard, but not something most adults can handle with enough trial and error, and if you can you get the ability to summon other people relatively early, after second boss counting the tutorial one, thus gives yourself and opportunity to cheat yourself true the game if you don't think your good enough, or need a guide. Also the bonefires makes progressing a lot easier as you don't have to redo as much as in the previous game. Looking at the negative comments the conclusion from these is eider that the people are too young, too impatient or simply one of the very few who can't complete hard content after enough trials, which is rather puzzling as the two first bosses has easy ways to beat them in less than 1 min. However, for veterans from Demon Souls, one can quickly adjust and rush parts of the game because it's many similarities, but the new environment and at times puzzling layout makes it just as much a mind game as a combat game, making those "old types of mobs" feel like a part of the puzzle. Expand
  87. Dec 22, 2011
    Brilliant game -- if you like challenges, enjoy action RPGs, you should not miss this or its predecessor. Between the wide options of character design and PvP, should provide 100s of hrs of fun.
  88. Jun 16, 2012
    My all-time favorite game, but not without flaws. Dark Souls is deep, and immensely rewarding, even after 400+hours. The combat is weighty and strategic. The atmosphere is dark and foreboding. And no game offers such a sense of satisfaction as your advance through each level and boss. However, there are a few flaws. 1) Online suffers from lag, which rears its ugly head in the formMy all-time favorite game, but not without flaws. Dark Souls is deep, and immensely rewarding, even after 400+hours. The combat is weighty and strategic. The atmosphere is dark and foreboding. And no game offers such a sense of satisfaction as your advance through each level and boss. However, there are a few flaws. 1) Online suffers from lag, which rears its ugly head in the form of lagstabs during PvP. This can get frustraing. 2) Sometimes your attacks get queued at the worst moments (Your press "Attack" button, only nothing happens. A few moments later, your attack finally registers at the worst possible time, leaving you open for counter.) 3) Camera can get janky and lead to deaths, although this can be fixed in the settings. 4) Bed of Chaos.... enough said. Overall, the lag is my biggest complaint to an otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  89. Oct 11, 2011
    Firstly I would like to say that I was very disappointed at how Dark Soul's multiplayer will now work in different servers. Which means, no coop with FRIENDS, and no more organized PVP...

That aside; The open world worked much better than I expected. In this case, the term "Open World" used loosely as in essence, it is just going from one checkpoint to another on a linear-esque path with a few stray areas to explore. The world however has been designed perfectly with shortcuts that end up with the reaction of; "ohh, so that's where it leads to". Combat is still second to none, each swing needs to be thought out. Whether you have enough stamina to block after your swing, whether your swing will leave you open for an attack, whether it would be more efficient to block a certain incoming attack or dodge it. All this will be second nature once you have played Dark Souls for a while. For all the low reviews complaining it's too hard; deaths are caused due to your OWN fault, the game is never unfair. Over-exertion will often be the reason for your demise. The game in no way demands perfection in your play but it takes no hesitation in punishing you for your mistakes. The "Souls" series is the epitomy of action RPG. It is a beautiful game without the big, flashy graphics. There is no dodge or block percentages. You are in control of every aspect of the combat. This game is not for everyone, but I do recommend atleast giving it a shot, because there hasn't been another game that has given me as much satisfaction as Dark Souls has.
  90. Nov 1, 2011
    I just don't understand.
    I just don't understand.
    People that are hating on this game should just go return it. If you did not see any of the trailers your a dumb ass for not doing so. In the trailers it says "PREPARE TO DIE". If you can not handle how tough it is then you should go back to your own style of games because this game is not for you. EX.)Horrible. That is the best way to sum up this game. Extremely difficult to the point of complete insanity. Make one mistake and you have to repeat an hours worth of play to get back to the same area. No story line what-so-ever. No explanation of what different symbols, stats, etc mean on your character. The game was definitely banking on previous reputation. Controls are very buggy with multiple button combos almost pointless because you can never get them to work.

Posted by Neian

Well if you actually pay attention there is a story line to the game and you can call your self a dumb ass if you can't figure out what each of the stats does. It does get buggy when online because of people invading and getting companions takes up a lot of bandwidth. It also gets buggy when you have a giant area that takes up a lot of data. EX.) I had fun setting up my character, and starting thru the tutorial... That's about it. After I escape the first dungeon, I meet a knight and decide to fight him and take his soul (I'm a thief in the game after all...). He kills me in 3 hits... Fine, try again. Respawn/reload the game, he kills me again! The fighting is so lame... He hits me, and my character has to go thru this delayed reaction/animation, realizing he's getting hit, and by the time I regain control, I'm hit again, then dead... again. Fine, can't fight him, I'll reload the game and run away. Nope, he just follows me no matter where I go, and how far I run. My hits are so weak, they barely register, and of course, he has no slow down from my hits, just continues thru his attack motion as if I'm not hitting him multiple times. 9 Deaths later, and screaming at he TV, i quit. Not fun. Why not at least "reset the scene" if the player is killed? If it was a mistake to fight the first character I meet, why not let me learn that, and leave him be. Do i have to restart the whole game, and go thru the tutorial dungeon all over again? How many similar situations would ruin my evenings if I decided to keep this torture session disguised as a video game? I would have loved to play with a friend to help me, why restrict me from doing so? Muliplayer i random and can't be coordinated. Not fun. I gave it a rest and tried again the next day, still not fun. At all. Trading it in for Batman Arkham City. Posted by KletassVanDam

Well you sir are a dumb **** for trying to take on one of the hardest enemies in the game. If you think you can just run in there and expect to kill him instantly, I think you should go back to CoD. This game requires skill and patients, and not just a mass killing.
  91. Nov 13, 2011
    A great game, very addictive, will keep you entertained for hours if you have the patience, it can be frustrating at times but this game is hard not impossible. just dont around killing everyone like i did..
  92. Nov 14, 2011
    Dark Souls is the second installment in the "Souls" series, being the predecessor of Demon souls, I expected a lot of rage induced logging off, and pure joy when finally defeating a Boss. This game simply delivers. Absolutely stunning graphically, with fantastic game play. There does not seem to be a disparity in the class system this time around.

The world is massive, and at times easy

The world is massive, and at times easy to get lost going from place to place. Bonfires keep the game interesting, and each mini boss defeated leaves you wondering how the hell the game could get any more creative with the next boss.

The multi player element is very well done this time around, and being summoned takes on additional responsibility and reward.

I highly recommend this game IF: -You consider yourself a hardcore gamer looking for the challenge of old, ruthless gaming where dying actually had consequences. -You truly enjoy a challenge, and dying 100 times in the same area does not get to you after a while.

-You enjoy a massive yet beautiful gameplay environment with many challenges.

-You are a massochist
  93. Nov 14, 2011
    I **** love this game, i played demon's souls for a very lot hours and I think that it was amazing, in all the aspects, and when I heard about dark souls i was very exited. It is like a demon's souls, some of the sounds and the movements are the same in the two games, but bigger, stronger, harder and much better, more weapons, more armors, more rings, more magic, more attacks, moreI **** love this game, i played demon's souls for a very lot hours and I think that it was amazing, in all the aspects, and when I heard about dark souls i was very exited. It is like a demon's souls, some of the sounds and the movements are the same in the two games, but bigger, stronger, harder and much better, more weapons, more armors, more rings, more magic, more attacks, more enemies, more bosses.... it is **** AWESOME, and the online is perfectly adapted to the game, it works fantastic. the only think i don't like, is when you are a **** zombie, you're so ugly, but this not afect to the game. Sorry for my english and thanks! Expand
  94. Nov 16, 2011
    So many complaints about its difficulty. People cant play games anymore theses days! I remember sidescrolling platformers where you must finish the entire level with 1 life. DarkSouls gives you bonfire save points and the chance to recoup your last run throughs progress, and open up shortcuts that dont reset etc..I remember shooters that had bosses that were invincible until 1 tiny openingSo many complaints about its difficulty. People cant play games anymore theses days! I remember sidescrolling platformers where you must finish the entire level with 1 life. DarkSouls gives you bonfire save points and the chance to recoup your last run throughs progress, and open up shortcuts that dont reset etc..I remember shooters that had bosses that were invincible until 1 tiny opening revealed itself every minute for 5 seconds for you to shoot. DS bosses/all enemies have attack patterns/weaknesses vs certain elements/weapon types. Theres no cheapness about them. People arent smart enough to work things out these days. they run in, spam attack and expect to win. btw there is block and evade in the game!! "cluncks controls" - pfft. dark souls has the most viceral and fair control/combat mechanic. staggered you say. too long to recover?durr, thats because you have poor armour, rubbish sheild, low poise.etc..oh i forgot, you want to run in hammer attack and win, with out any sort of reaction from enemy attacks, you want to survive 50 hits from 50 foot demons with massive axes instead of 3 hits. you want to kill said demons with 3 hits. Expand
  95. Dec 16, 2011
    Everything that was great about Demon's Souls is amplified in Dark Souls. The addition of an open world instead of the Nexus makes the game a thousand times more enjoyable. I can see how people new to the series view it as overly challenging, but its really what games should be. In Dark Souls you feel like crap when you die, where as in a game like Fallout all you need to do is reloadEverything that was great about Demon's Souls is amplified in Dark Souls. The addition of an open world instead of the Nexus makes the game a thousand times more enjoyable. I can see how people new to the series view it as overly challenging, but its really what games should be. In Dark Souls you feel like crap when you die, where as in a game like Fallout all you need to do is reload your save file. The unforgiving nature of the game makes its a perfect 10 for me. Expand
  96. Dec 25, 2011
    This game rocks period. I won't blah blah you to death with why. Gameplay this, graphics that. Who cares. This game rocks. You don't rock. This game does. Play it.
  97. Oct 10, 2011
    Excellent Game. Gameplay sucks you in.. It's challenging, combat is extremely precise and meticulous, and for an Action-RPG nothing gets better.. No to complicated inventories/menus/reading/etc... Straight to the action/combat!

No holding-hand, you have to discover everything by yourself just like the old days (that's the essence of gaming, how it all started) and most importantly once you start, it 'sucks' you in.. Maybe it isn't for everyone, since not all have the patience but what is for sure is that every time you die, its definably, always, your fault...

Few issues such as random 'freezes' can occur while you are connected online but nothing alarming and with a patch it can all be fine-tuned..

If you give it a try, this game will change you.. It will inevitably change your perception of gaming as a whole, and it will alter your pleasure when it comes to gaming in general.. I have played and beat demon's souls... and it had a big impact on me..
    Dark Souls, while not a revolution but an evolution of Demon's Souls, will have a deeper one...

Everyone should give it a try.. It's special and unlike anything today in the Video Gaming Industry...
  98. Oct 9, 2011
    If you ever hear anyone complaining about games being too easy these days just ask them to play this!Although not everyone will "get" Dark Souls, any game that dares to do something different to the norm (and succeeds) deserves respect. In many ways it's a throwback to the old school arcade games from years ago where genuine skill and concentration are required to progress. Yes it'sIf you ever hear anyone complaining about games being too easy these days just ask them to play this!Although not everyone will "get" Dark Souls, any game that dares to do something different to the norm (and succeeds) deserves respect. In many ways it's a throwback to the old school arcade games from years ago where genuine skill and concentration are required to progress. Yes it's difficult, and you'll die a lot but it's never cheap. If you're honest with yourself you'll always know where you went wrong. To be frank this wasn't made for people who get frustrated easily or those with short attention spans. If your willing to put the effort in though you'll discover a game that gives a payoff like no other. You'll be screaming with frustration one minute and then punching the air in celebration when you finally get past that difficult bit/boss.
    If you consider yourself a serious gamer then you owe it yourself to at least try this game.
  99. Oct 9, 2011
    Well, don't listen to the people saying that there is no skill involved. It's ALL skill. Not even kidding, I started playing, and beat the first boss an hour later without dying once. Exlain that, if it's all trial and error. This game requires caution, a sharp wit, and sharper reflexes, but there is NO luck, and trial and error has almost nothing to do with Dark Souls. Guess what? SomeWell, don't listen to the people saying that there is no skill involved. It's ALL skill. Not even kidding, I started playing, and beat the first boss an hour later without dying once. Exlain that, if it's all trial and error. This game requires caution, a sharp wit, and sharper reflexes, but there is NO luck, and trial and error has almost nothing to do with Dark Souls. Guess what? Some games, the best games, like Dark Souls, require more than bloodlust and Monster Energy drinks to beat.

In most rpg's or action games when I find a new shield, I think "huh, a shield" and it goes into my pack to sell later. In Dark Souls and Demon's Souls when I find a new shield I think "OMG! Yes! A shield! I'll keep it forever!" This game demands that you acknowledge that you're weak, and that you can only win with tactics and critical thought:

"Huh? There's a giant metal boar-demon-thing guarding the gate? Maybe instead of trying to run up and smack it (hint, your sword will bounce, and it will skewer you), you should try luring it away, then sprinting for a hidden door!

The thing most people don't mention is just how amazing and beautiful the environments are, especially in HD. Every fricking brick and plank looks awesome, and this game has some of the most breathtaking vistas I've ever seen in a sandbox game. And everything is so wonderfully gothic and depressing looking, it never ceases to amaze. The controls are even better than in Demon's Souls (no small feat, seeing as the original DS was very polished as well), and you'll find a slew of subtle easter eggs for long-time King's Field and Demon's Souls fans.
  100. Oct 10, 2011
    I picked this up yesterday not knowing what to expect. I read all the reviews, I heard all the hype. I decided to give this game a shot. Never played Demon's souls, but I know it recieved similar praise and I wanted to know what was so great about these games that sounded so frustrating. Twenty hours of game time later and I am here to tell you that this is one of the most original gamesI picked this up yesterday not knowing what to expect. I read all the reviews, I heard all the hype. I decided to give this game a shot. Never played Demon's souls, but I know it recieved similar praise and I wanted to know what was so great about these games that sounded so frustrating. Twenty hours of game time later and I am here to tell you that this is one of the most original games I've ever played. Not since the very first Zelda on the NES have I played something so unique and uncompromising in its design. Full of secrets and easter eggs, tons and tons of cool weapons and armor, and beautiful art design. It's totally true the game is unflinchingly hard. Every section of the game is built around the concept of learning from death. I spent the first twenty minutes or so in the game dying over and over again only to realize I needed to equip a different weapon to deal with different enemies. Once I did so I walked right through them. It all started to click. There is almost always a solution to the situation your stuck in, you just have to use your brain and figure it out, and when you do you feel like a total badass. The controls take a bit of getting used to as you cant just mash the buttons fable style and expect to get anywhere. You really have to carefully plan each strike but again when you learn the enemies attack patterns and weaknesses you smash right through them. I can't reccomend checking this game out enough to those sitting on the fence. If your tired of the same old crap over and over again this was made for you so don't cry about games being repetitive and full of sequels if you don't pick this up. If you consider yourself a hardcore gamer you owe it to yourself and the industry to have this in your collection-no excuses! In over 20 years of playing games this is one of the finest experiences I've ever had with a game not only because the game is great but because it "gets" the psychology behind what makes gamers tick and uses that to keep you playing even when it feels like the odds are 100 percent against you and then rewards you when you do finally overcome them amplifiying your emotion to the point where you feel like you just won the world series when overcoming a difficulty you never thought you were good enough to handle. Nothing else in gameing compares to this experience-period! Expand
  101. Nov 6, 2011
    There's a type of atmosphere that exists in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that I have yet to feel in any other game I've ever played. This atmosphere is difficult to define but I think it's a result of the bleak and twisted, awe-inspiring, almost surreal-like environment that you trudge through in Dark Souls. There are certain moments in Dark Souls where my jaw literally dropped inThere's a type of atmosphere that exists in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that I have yet to feel in any other game I've ever played. This atmosphere is difficult to define but I think it's a result of the bleak and twisted, awe-inspiring, almost surreal-like environment that you trudge through in Dark Souls. There are certain moments in Dark Souls where my jaw literally dropped in amazement, and for this reason alone this game is a gem in my book. For example, when I was first brought up to Anor Londo (one of the later areas) for the first time I put down the controller and stared at my TV screen in utter marvel as I observed the most amazing view I had ever seen in a video game before. There are quite a few of these, but this one really stood out to me. The scope and size of Dark Souls is unbelievable, and nearing the edge of a cliff or walking across a narrow beam at the very top of a gigantic church while trying to fend off assassins gives you that "fear of heights" feeling. The shortage of guidance, friendly characters and story gives you the somber hopelessness that most modern-day survival horror games fail to convey. Dark Souls is extremely reward-oriented, often throwing daunting challenges at you, but if you overcome them you will get something worth the effort. It could be a sweet set of armor, a powerful weapon, a ring, a bunch of souls, or just a really useful item (which there are hundreds of). In my opinion Dark Souls in superior to Demon's Souls for a few significant reasons. The biggest I think is the interconnection of all the areas, making Dark Souls one huge world, instead of a couple level portals in Demon's Souls. I thought that seeing the transition between an undead church and a dark forest was much more natural and immersive than entering a portal in the hub-world which teleported you to that level. Dark Souls also requires the player to think hard about different routes to take to a destination and forces the player to map out the world in their head which is appealing to some RPG exploration fans. Another difference and huge improvement is the diversity in environments. Demon's Souls lacked any great diversity, consisting of mainly the undead and meloncholy themes, whereas every area in Dark Souls is something completely different, whether its a modern looking castle in an orange sunset, a dark forest, ruins flooded with lava pools, caverns, etc.

I consider Dark Souls more of an action-adventure game than an RPG, and for a game of that genre Dark Souls is massive. If you are a player of average skill and intelligence it would most likely require at least 60-70 hours for the first playthrough, and these are all quality hours, not fill-in hours. Dark Souls is very open-ended, with very little guidance, or idea of what to do next. There are a few limitations that guide the overall game (such as not having access to later areas in the beginning), but for the most part the player chooses their own play style and goals. Dark Souls isn't perfect, however. Low framerates seems to be a pretty widespread issue, significantly affecting one specific area of the game. I had some issues with button responsiveness, which is rare but when it happens it's usually really inconvenient timing. For example (sometimes my character wouldn't immediately drink the potion after pushing square, he might wait 2 or 3 seconds). Also, I've come across 2-3 glitches in my 70 hours of play so far (each time killing me). I found the combat system, camera, controls, lock on system, and most other technicalities to be fair, so death is usually the player's fault, not a faulty system. Dark Souls does so much right, overshadowing any flaws it might have. It brings you into its twisted world and punishes you until you master it. It's immersive, addictive, ominous and unforgiving, challenging, diverse, and dismally beautiful. If you give it the patience and time it deserves, you'll find yourself with one of the most enjoyable, rewarding, and gripping games this decade has to offer.

1. It would be foolish of us to pretend that Dark Souls is a game for everyone. It's perfect at what it does, but a big part of what it does is make you suffer for your mistakes. It is a harsh, uncompromising task master and you will have to work to win its approval, because it certainly won't work to win yours. [Dec 2011, p74]
  2. Jan 5, 2012
    At the end of the day Dark Souls succeeds in producing a game that is both incredibly challenging and fair.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.