5.8

1. Oct 7, 2010
    Playing this game totally reminds me of Disney's 90's flick The Rocketeer! I am surprised how mixed this game got for reviews. The second I saw the game announced I knew it wasnt going to innovate anything but I was thrilled! It's got some pretty good shooting mechanics and sure, any 3rd person game has some form of a cover system like this one. The flight gameplay is where its at here!

1. While the shooting and platforming elements don't individually ignite the gameplay experience, when Dark Void combines them with the superb aerial combat, the action soars and the game's potential is fully realized. [Feb 2010, p.78]
  2. The jetpack might be a nice gimmick, but it’s not innovative enough to carry an entire game, especially since vertical cover can only be used in certain places. Everything else in Dark Void is as generic as generic can be. The level design, enemies, weapons and story, nothing stands out particularly. But for an eight hour single player-only experience, it should have.
  3. Unfortunately, the shining strengths of the game are buried underneath a thick layer of rust that only the thirstiest of air-junkies should bother chipping through. [Feb 2010, p.95]