Dark Void PlayStation 3

5.9

1. MaxB
    Jan 24, 2010
    I don't know what you guys are talking about! This game is awesome. It's a 3rd person shooter with the added benefit of flying ANY time you want! The other people only played the demo, and they complain about the flying saucers flying past you. Well, guess what, you can either shoot them down OR you can zoom in close, jump on them, go into a fight sequence in mid-air, and then I don't know what you guys are talking about! This game is awesome. It's a 3rd person shooter with the added benefit of flying ANY time you want! The other people only played the demo, and they complain about the flying saucers flying past you. Well, guess what, you can either shoot them down OR you can zoom in close, jump on them, go into a fight sequence in mid-air, and then commandeer the saucer and use it against them flying it!!! You can upgrade unique weapons, fly around without a time limit searching for hidden caves, and do special maneuvers while flying... like barrel rolls and loop-d-loops! Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2010
    Playing this game totally reminds me of Disney's 90's flick The Rocketeer! I am surprised how mixed this game got for reviews. The second I saw the game announced I knew it wasnt going to innovate anything but I was thrilled! It's got some pretty good shooting mechanics and sure, any 3rd person game has some form of a cover system like this one. The flight gameplay is where its at here!
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, against all real advice from IGN, Metacritic, I bought this game, with it's DLC. I had played Dark Void Zero, thought it was pretty good, and I knew it had Nolan North in it, which is always good. Probably most importantly for me, Bear McCreary composed the music. Trying to be as unbiased as possible, I'm going to do this review in sections:

Graphics: 7 / 10
    The graphics, in reality, aren't that bad; from most of the critic reviews, I thought they were gonna be horrid. Taking down an enemy Watcher, watching their individual limbs fly, noticing that tiny bit of arm-flapping when flying, watching your clothes wrinkle in the wind when hi-jacking enemy saucers, all of it looks pretty well modeled and textured. However, textures in cutscenes can sometimes be more noticeable. For instances, spoiler alert, when Nikola Tesla is stabbed in the back, and his hand is show close up, the texturing is VERY blurry, and is almost unrecognizable. And, of course, since it's on the Unreal engine, there's the problem of textures being really blurry for only a moment.

Mechanics and Physics: 8 / 10
    The mechanics of the game were undoubtedly it's strong point. It's a freaking jetpack; what else do you need? Although the execution was a little poor, Capcom certainly had the right idea in mind. However, when you're not flying around with your somehow infinite-ammo jetpack-mounted machine-guns, blasting ships and defying the laws of physics, it reacts like a pretty average third-person shooter. When you ARE on the ground, though, you can use your jetpack to your advantage, get the strategic high-ground, and even camp. Like a noob. One problem, though, is when you're flying around, and you meet a golden watcher sniper. They can fly too. But when you fly up to melee them, you can't. There's simply no melee-ing going on. The AI is awful. They keep shooting 7 clips at the walls.

Sound: 9 / 10
    Many people underestimate the importance of a game's soundtrack. The game's soundscape in general (the soundtrack, effects, voiceing) is all very important. Bear McCreary, the composer for Battlestar: Gallactica, The Walking Dead, the Europa Report, and now Dark Void, if very good at what he does. Obviously, Capcom recognizes music's importance. And they didn't go cheap on voice-acting, either; Nolan North voices the lead character, Will, and does a great job of it, too. No one else in the voice cast is all that great, in my opinion.

Story: 8 / 10
    Not a whole lot to say, here; the story was pretty well written, overall, though not overbearing, like in Metal Gear Solid.

Overall: 8 / 10

Worth it if you buy it for under 15 - 25 dollars.
  4. Dec 19, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game! You really could not blame it for trying something new. The combat is fun on foot and in the air. Gameplay is solid, nothing special but also is nothing wrong with it. I had a good time playing it!

1. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    While the shooting and platforming elements don't individually ignite the gameplay experience, when Dark Void combines them with the superb aerial combat, the action soars and the game's potential is fully realized. [Feb 2010, p.78]
  2. The jetpack might be a nice gimmick, but it’s not innovative enough to carry an entire game, especially since vertical cover can only be used in certain places. Everything else in Dark Void is as generic as generic can be. The level design, enemies, weapons and story, nothing stands out particularly. But for an eight hour single player-only experience, it should have.
  3. Game Informer
    Unfortunately, the shining strengths of the game are buried underneath a thick layer of rust that only the thirstiest of air-junkies should bother chipping through. [Feb 2010, p.95]