7.0

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Darkstalkers Resurrection continues on Iron Galaxy's latest trend in revisiting older Capcom cult classics -- Marvel vs. Capcom Origins was an unexpected one -- in HD and well, whether or not you liked the franchise's unique gameplay -- in comparison to Street Fighter -- and conceptually contrived cast of characters (sexy succubus Morrigan, cutesy underdressed Felicia, and whatever the hell Hsein-Ko is), your opinion may vary. And even if it might not mean a next-gen Darkstalkers is on the horizon after all (thanks for that broken dream, Capcom), Resurrection does what it's implied to do: dust off two arcade relics, spiffy 'em up, and add an online experience those few thousand Darkstalkers out there will be eternally grateful for.

Pros? Excellent HD remodeling; cast of some of the cookiest, spookiest characters you haven't seen in another fighting game franchise yet; excellent online mode with plenty of options to help tune the experience; additional arcade skin, art gallery, and remastered soundtracks make for some fun bonus material.

Cons? Minor online bugs; $15 (USD) for a fine port of two forgotten games seems cheap -- it's Capcom though; although unique, the gameplay won't appeal to everyone at first glance and without a proper trial mode, casuals might as well not even consider Resurrection; the disappointment after believing Capcom would give us minorities our right to a next-gen Darkstalkers, only teasing us then shattering our hope.
  2. Sep 21, 2013
    I didn't know other Darkstalkers game, so I thought that was a good idea try this one (Demo Version). Well, I downloaded it, installed and, for my surprise, I saw a old Sega Saturn game. Characters are nice, but that graphics/gameplay... well.... In short, Darkstalkers Ressurection is exclusively for his fans.
    PS: what really bother me is PS Store asking for this game 25 euros... was fair
    if price was €0,50 or €0,99 Expand
  3. May 12, 2013
    This game brought back many memories from the ps1, I love the characters and I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The controls and sound are top notch, the visuals don't look any better than the original Darkstalkers 3 that I downloaded from PSN several months ago. The DLC is useless crap that doesn't add to gameplay or to the replay value. I still recommend this game to all fighting game fans, if for no other reason than nostalgia and the great characters. My score is low due to the graphics which I feel are not truly "HD". Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2013
    Darkstalkers has always been one of the most original and unique fighters when it comes to its variety of playable misfits and monsters. It's nostalgic pleasure to longtime players and visual delight for newcomers that have yet to enter this bizarre, bizarre franchise that has kept fans anxious for a next-gen sequel.
  5. Mar 28, 2013
    Amazing game, don't know what is with all the hate, just buy it, it's pretty cheap, and it's ton of fun with friends, just get this game as soon s possible.
  6. Mar 23, 2013
    As a newcomer to the series, I must say this was a perfect introduction to the series. Although it may have a few downsides, that shouldn't distract one from picking this up. It plays well and what's not to like about that?
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    characters that were removed for no reason, poorly executed screen, and high price earns 0/10 for me. Sadly Capcom once again shows it's cheap side and wants more money for less quality.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    This is an amazing port of an amazing pair of games. Night Warriors and Darkstalkers 3 are as different as night and day. The first is a lot closer to the Street Fighter Alpha games, but with Chain Combos, which are the predecessor to the combo systems of Guilty Gear and games of it's style. Techniques that would also make it's way into other fighting games are the ES moves, which became EX moves in Street Fighter III. There's some others bod oh boy there's almost too much to list.

The other game, Darkstalkers 3, has a non-traditional knockout system... which is to say you have 2+ Life Bars, and the fight resumes immediately after one is deplete without the prior round winner recovering As a result this is one of the fastest fighting games in memory. Your damaged health also regenerates fairly fast... within limits of course, so any issues this system causes are swiftly negated. Both games are considered to be amazing games, but are different enough that they warranted being a double pack. Now, there is an issue where there's slightly less in terms of framerate than the arcade originals, but make no mistake, this is probably one of the best ports Capcom has put out yet. There's also a few imbalances, but these are hard to fault since they were in the original games too, and it's not worth throwing a fit over. Go and buy this game immediately if you are a fighting game, fan, you won't be disappointed, whether you started on Street Fighter or are a fan of later games.
  9. Mar 13, 2013

1. Darkstalkers Resurrection is a well preserved piece of history of which no fighting game fan should be unaware. Go check it out. [July 2013, p80]
  2. May 10, 2013
    In fact, this is such a solid package that I don't have any outright criticisms, although it would have been nice if they'd thrown in the original Darkstalkers for completion's sake.
  3. May 9, 2013