• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 8, 2012
5.7

1. Oct 13, 2013
    This game should have been incredible. I really wanted to like it. What we have here is a classic case of great ideas coupled with terrible execution.

In Datura, you control a faceless, nameless protagonist wandering through a labyrinthian forest, interacting with various artifacts and landmarks. Each of these leads to what is essentially a mini-game you find yourself launched into a dream-sequence (or flashback?) before returning to the home map. Using either the Move or the Dualshock, the controls are intended to mimic real-life motions such as sawing, smashing, twisting, etc.

Ultimately, the game feels like a desperate attempt to show off the system's motion sensing abilities without much quality control. Attempts to interact with the environment range from awkward to virtually impossible. Even walking around the forest is uncomfortable the game forces you to button-mash constantly to move any faster than a casual stroll, and the lack of any strafe controls made looking around a needlessly troublesome undertaking.

There's no obvious central theme tying all of the mini-games together, but I actually found that to be part of the game's charm. Wandering around the dreamlike landscape, wondering where I'm going to find myself next was actually really exciting, and kept me hanging on longer than I might have. Ultimately, it was just more effort than fun.
  2. May 11, 2012
    This game uses Sixaxis controls that are completely broken. I cannot progress any further in the game because of the broken controls. This game is unfinished. 0/10
  3. May 11, 2012
    Datura is an odd experience crafted by the good folks over at Plastic. I've played through the title twice. Once with the Move, and once with the Dualshock 3. To fully enjoy the immersion Plastic intended, I recommend playing with the Move. If you're looking for a simpler trip down the pig hole, use the Dualshock 3 as it makes it easier to navigate the forest but also dumbs down theDatura is an odd experience crafted by the good folks over at Plastic. I've played through the title twice. Once with the Move, and once with the Dualshock 3. To fully enjoy the immersion Plastic intended, I recommend playing with the Move. If you're looking for a simpler trip down the pig hole, use the Dualshock 3 as it makes it easier to navigate the forest but also dumbs down the controls for the various tasks at hand (pun intended). Datura shouldn't take you more than 2 hours (that's including 100% Trophies) and is best suited to be played straight through in one sitting. I would also like to point out the use of 3D in Datura. Plastic actually went through the trouble of adding a Stereoscopic depth option to fine tune your 3D experience. The loose leaves and feathers. The flies. All floating there, waiting to be reached for, but alas, it's only the 3D. Plastic has not found a way to float these awesomely detailed objects in front of you, although it may seem they have. I highly recommend trying this title with the 3D cranked up to 11, a Move controller in hand (again, pun intended) and a six pack of brews our what ever it is you use to lose yourself. At just $10 ($8 for PS+ users) Datura is an affordable risk that may just turn out to be the Indie film turned video game you've been looking for. Expand
  4. May 8, 2012
    I don't even know how to review this. I've been following the coverage for this game and despite seeing the mixed reviews I still gave it a shot just to see what it was all about. If you are looking for a really exciting game do not buy this. I think the makers just wanted to show that videogames can be much more than your run of the mill game. I don't have the Move Motion controller, so II don't even know how to review this. I've been following the coverage for this game and despite seeing the mixed reviews I still gave it a shot just to see what it was all about. If you are looking for a really exciting game do not buy this. I think the makers just wanted to show that videogames can be much more than your run of the mill game. I don't have the Move Motion controller, so I just had to use a normal controller and at first a few of the parts pissed me off. I thought the controls were absolutely terrible but come to find out on my 2nd play through I was just doing them completely wrong. The onscreen help isn't much help. For a two hour game with somewhat finicky controls and only a few cool parts, I'm not so sure it was worth 10 bucks. I recommend this game if you are a trophy whore (you can easily get all of them on your first play through) or you are just very curious like I was. Expand
  5. May 9, 2012
    When you play a game, you expect the controls to work, you expect an appropriate length given how much money you've spent, and you expect there to be some kind of story for the game to tell. Datura fails in all three of these aspects.

The game's camera is sluggish and does not move freely, so you rely on your movement to correct the angle and it takes away from your exploration of the landscape. The controls are just terrible. There's no question. Why they decided to publish the game with these issues, I have no idea. Perhaps they weren't capable of a solution.

And the random, drug-induced events and ending... there was no ending. Suddenly the credits roll, and I wonder why the game just ended. It's short and incredibly dissatisfying. The seemingly mysterious and enigmatic atmosphere drew me into buying this, and I kept an open mind because I like supporting smaller companies, but getting this game was a mistake. If you're really curious, I recommend waiting until it's at least 50% off, because that's a bit closer to what the game experience is actually worth.
  6. May 8, 2012
    It's an odd game for sure. Do not go into this expecting great controls, the best graphics, or a clear storyline. Still the game stuck with me. It's just so different from anything else out that I can get over a lot of the flaws and appreciate it for being do different.
  7. May 9, 2012
    This game, in theory, sounded like it would be perfect for me. Myst gameplay with an artsy, surreal approach and for the Move controller, which everyone who owns it is feeling a severe lack of content for. Sadly, it turned out to be a sad disappointment. First of all, yes, it's true, the game is super short. First playthrough took me an hour even though I was stuck at one gate because IThis game, in theory, sounded like it would be perfect for me. Myst gameplay with an artsy, surreal approach and for the Move controller, which everyone who owns it is feeling a severe lack of content for. Sadly, it turned out to be a sad disappointment. First of all, yes, it's true, the game is super short. First playthrough took me an hour even though I was stuck at one gate because I foolishly thought it was a puzzle à Expand
  8. May 10, 2012
    This game may not be too good but it is a fun and very interesting move title so go dust off those controllers you have barely touched lately (COD players) and get to playing this very immersible game just please use a move controller it makes way more sense and please quit whining over 10 dollars quit being so cheap and poor its 10 dollars i spend that daily just going to a appointment orThis game may not be too good but it is a fun and very interesting move title so go dust off those controllers you have barely touched lately (COD players) and get to playing this very immersible game just please use a move controller it makes way more sense and please quit whining over 10 dollars quit being so cheap and poor its 10 dollars i spend that daily just going to a appointment or the corner LMAO Expand
  9. May 8, 2012
    Datura have much great points, the graphics, the idea, but have a biggest problem, and is the next, is really short. I think that if plastic do this game really large, the score can be better.
  10. May 15, 2012
    Well, this game is hard to talk about. The graphics and parts of the game play are great for a 9.99 downloadable game. Although sometimes the controls can be god awful, the game is great at certain points but later that greatness vanishes at a blink of an eye. Mainly because the game makes zero sense. Where are you, why are you there, how did you get in that ambulance at the start of theWell, this game is hard to talk about. The graphics and parts of the game play are great for a 9.99 downloadable game. Although sometimes the controls can be god awful, the game is great at certain points but later that greatness vanishes at a blink of an eye. Mainly because the game makes zero sense. Where are you, why are you there, how did you get in that ambulance at the start of the game, so on and so on. I geuss thats part of the artistic feel of the game. Your not supposed to get it and try to think of what it all means by yourself. But NONE of it is explained and makes the whole experience feel not worth while. Only consider this title if you like weird trippy games that dont make sense. If thats what you like Collapse Expand
  11. May 21, 2012
    It's a very tough game to score properly. Controls:
    I'm not in total agreement with the move controls beign crap. I actually found them reasonably good. However they are very sensitive to your distance from the camera so if you move from your standing position mid game, particulary if you go a step closer to the tv they do get screwed up because the hand will be too far into the screen.
    It's a very tough game to score properly. Controls:
    Story:
    The game is very short. You should give yourself 2 hours, take your time and play through in one sitting. It is a quite dark and moody feel to it and the story really lets you decide for yourself the meaning. I liked that element but I can see how people woudl dislike it just as much.
    Gameplay:
    Pretty minimal and nothing to rave about. You're walking through a wood. There are some things to interact with if you want to. Your interaction and decision making advances the story a bit and will affect the ending which is good which might make yoiu play again but I rarely replay any game so I'll stick to the ending I got.

Overall I'd give it a 6. was good to use the move for soemthign unique but the game is average enough.
  12. Oct 30, 2012
    This is probably one of the best games this year. Its original and creative, we all should support this game, originality in videogaming is in danger, not everything should be shooters.
  13. Jul 10, 2012
    Great game, overall. The presentation, music, and graphics are great. But, the controls SUCK! It takes a while just to do a task, and you might not get what you even wanted to do. The lasting appeal isn't great either, for I beat it in 45 min AND got all of the trophies in my first playthrough. That said, this game might not be worth $10, but it's worth a play.
  14. Oct 16, 2014
    ¡¡HORRIBLE!!
    Creo que no exageraría la decir que es el peor juego para consolas al que he jugado, la trama de esto no tiene ningún sentido ni rumbo ni nada, eres una mano que resuelves minijuegos absurdos a través de alucinaciones, tienes que acariciar árboles para desbloquear el mapa, etc.
    Una paja mental sin sentido.

1. Short and puzzling in more ways than one. A clunky oddity. [August 2012, p81]
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Datura only takes you about two hours to complete, which starts off by twenty minutes of yelling at the Move controller and fiddling with the unfortunate control scheme. It is then followed by a stroll through an absurd and amazing world, that will create an experience you won't soon forget. An experience, however, filled with non-challenging puzzles.
  3. Those with a taste for the unusual will likely enjoy Datura, as it's contemplative and slow and builds surprising tension at times. But ultimately, it's just an interesting yet flawed experiment. [Aug 2012, p.86]