Datura PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 8, 2012
5.7

1. Oct 13, 2013
    This game should have been incredible. I really wanted to like it. What we have here is a classic case of great ideas coupled with terrible execution.

In Datura, you control a faceless, nameless protagonist wandering through a labyrinthian forest, interacting with various artifacts and landmarks. Each of these leads to what is essentially a mini-game you find yourself launched into a dream-sequence (or flashback?) before returning to the home map. Using either the Move or the Dualshock, the controls are intended to mimic real-life motions such as sawing, smashing, twisting, etc.

Ultimately, the game feels like a desperate attempt to show off the system's motion sensing abilities without much quality control. Attempts to interact with the environment range from awkward to virtually impossible. Even walking around the forest is uncomfortable the game forces you to button-mash constantly to move any faster than a casual stroll, and the lack of any strafe controls made looking around a needlessly troublesome undertaking.

There's no obvious central theme tying all of the mini-games together, but I actually found that to be part of the game's charm. Wandering around the dreamlike landscape, wondering where I'm going to find myself next was actually really exciting, and kept me hanging on longer than I might have. Ultimately, it was just more effort than fun.
  2. May 11, 2012
    This game uses Sixaxis controls that are completely broken. I cannot progress any further in the game because of the broken controls. This game is unfinished. 0/10
  3. May 9, 2012
    When you play a game, you expect the controls to work, you expect an appropriate length given how much money you've spent, and you expect there to be some kind of story for the game to tell. Datura fails in all three of these aspects.

The game's camera is sluggish and does not move freely, so you rely on your movement to correct the angle and it takes away from your exploration of the landscape. The controls are just terrible. There's no question. Why they decided to publish the game with these issues, I have no idea. Perhaps they weren't capable of a solution.

And the random, drug-induced events and ending... there was no ending. Suddenly the credits roll, and I wonder why the game just ended. It's short and incredibly dissatisfying. The seemingly mysterious and enigmatic atmosphere drew me into buying this, and I kept an open mind because I like supporting smaller companies, but getting this game was a mistake. If you're really curious, I recommend waiting until it's at least 50% off, because that's a bit closer to what the game experience is actually worth.
  4. May 9, 2012
    This game, in theory, sounded like it would be perfect for me. Myst gameplay with an artsy, surreal approach and for the Move controller, which everyone who owns it is feeling a severe lack of content for. Sadly, it turned out to be a sad disappointment. First of all, yes, it's true, the game is super short. First playthrough took me an hour even though I was stuck at one gate because IThis game, in theory, sounded like it would be perfect for me. Myst gameplay with an artsy, surreal approach and for the Move controller, which everyone who owns it is feeling a severe lack of content for. Sadly, it turned out to be a sad disappointment. First of all, yes, it's true, the game is super short. First playthrough took me an hour even though I was stuck at one gate because I foolishly thought it was a puzzle à Expand
  5. Oct 16, 2014
    ¡¡HORRIBLE!!
    Creo que no exageraría la decir que es el peor juego para consolas al que he jugado, la trama de esto no tiene ningún sentido ni rumbo ni nada, eres una mano que resuelves minijuegos absurdos a través de alucinaciones, tienes que acariciar árboles para desbloquear el mapa, etc.
    Una paja mental sin sentido.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 16, 2012
    Short and puzzling in more ways than one. A clunky oddity. [August 2012, p81]
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Datura only takes you about two hours to complete, which starts off by twenty minutes of yelling at the Move controller and fiddling with the unfortunate control scheme. It is then followed by a stroll through an absurd and amazing world, that will create an experience you won't soon forget. An experience, however, filled with non-challenging puzzles.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Jun 29, 2012
    Those with a taste for the unusual will likely enjoy Datura, as it's contemplative and slow and builds surprising tension at times. But ultimately, it's just an interesting yet flawed experiment. [Aug 2012, p.86]