7.5

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Excited for a console MMO I gave it a try, along with a group of friends. None of us played for longer than a week before agrreing this is a turd.For a subscription game this is godawful. Level 30 limit is a joke, locations are empty and dull, quests are boring and feel like chores. Take the night-club bases as an example; no matter which one you are in, the layout is an exact clone of theExcited for a console MMO I gave it a try, along with a group of friends. None of us played for longer than a week before agrreing this is a turd.For a subscription game this is godawful. Level 30 limit is a joke, locations are empty and dull, quests are boring and feel like chores. Take the night-club bases as an example; no matter which one you are in, the layout is an exact clone of the others. Social features have also been poorly integrated imo, making this much, much more painful than it is worse. The only positive attribute I can find is the inclusion of many iconic characters and the voice acting, which is truly awesome. For a short romp it might be alright, but as an mmo with a high life expectation - FAIL (imho). Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2011
    this was only one of a few mmo's i have played. and easily the worst of the few. it has a massive install.14 - 16gbs. and 2 - 4hrs of install. the graphics arent bad, and the customization is pretty cool. when you do finally start the game its pretty fun. the whole first mission is fun. then you get into the real world, when nothing that was fun about the beginning is still there. yourthis was only one of a few mmo's i have played. and easily the worst of the few. it has a massive install.14 - 16gbs. and 2 - 4hrs of install. the graphics arent bad, and the customization is pretty cool. when you do finally start the game its pretty fun. the whole first mission is fun. then you get into the real world, when nothing that was fun about the beginning is still there. your combat slows to a crawl, and system freezing bugs are all over. not to mention no apparent balance for the enemies you fight. the first mission i took, the enemies were 3 - 5 levels higher then me, and in order to beat them i had to fight using guerilla tactics. this game has found a way to turn every hero or villain you make into a blubbering superman choking on kryptonite. Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    Ok guys i am going to review this to save a bunch of people there hard earned $60 dollars. Dont buy this game. I am a huge gamer and was super excited about this game but i got it played for a couple of hours and kept thinking, "this is super lame." It reminds me of Infamous with a bunch of other people playing online. Infamous was way more fun and was actually execution with polish and aOk guys i am going to review this to save a bunch of people there hard earned $60 dollars. Dont buy this game. I am a huge gamer and was super excited about this game but i got it played for a couple of hours and kept thinking, "this is super lame." It reminds me of Infamous with a bunch of other people playing online. Infamous was way more fun and was actually execution with polish and a good story. Now this game is not polished. The graphics downright suck. Now that wouldn't bother me if the game itself was a ton of fun - but its not. All these people giving it praise are sucking on the hype teet. This game is nothing to get excited over and that's actually my biggest problem with it. It just isn't fun. I am a very open minded gamer - not just some troll who plays COD all day everyday and thinks every other game sucks. I loved Fallout, GTA4, MGS4, Uncharted, Bioshock ect. but hey lets get real this game is no gem. It feels like it was made 8 years ago. The animations are downright pathetic and actually laughable. The cinematic, which is the trailer, at the beginning of the game is great. I thought wow! this is gonna be awesome - boys was off. The powers feel weak, the sound is horrible - for some reason most of the action sound effects are directed to the back speakers- wtf? And to think that they are asking $14.99 a month? Insane! Even without a monthly charge it would not be worth playing. So for all of you out there wondering - "Should i give a try?" Don't. - There has only been 3 reviews thus far and just give it some time - i would bet the Metacritic score when its all said in done will be no higher than a 73.â Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2011
    If you live in South East Asia / Oceania i.e. Australia, Singapore, New Zealand etc then you should absolutely NOT buy this game. The game is completely and utterly broken and does not get passed the first tutorial. This has affected thousands of players who are being told no refunds are possible.

Keep in mind that I was invited into the Beta testing on December 18th and it was an issue on that day, it continued to be an issue that recieved no response from any of the Devs during that time During the Beta stage I recieved one update, 1.02. The same dll as launch day.... when I saw that update my heart sunk and I knew the problem hadn't been fixed.

But here is what everyone may not be aware of......It's not just a problem with the Brainiac / Overseer level it's a problem throughout the game itself.

I was able to play this game on two occassions during the three weeks I was in the Beta and I was trying a couple of times a day!! I eventually got some time in the game (random, no reason why) and made my way into Metropolis, Gotham and the Watchtower and had a great time playing it.

However once I jumped out and tried to log back in again the EXACT same freezing issue would present itself in ANY of the playing areas. It's not a problem located at just the tutorial level
  5. Jan 18, 2011
    I don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or what. I've played this game for 15+ hours and still cannot find out why people find it so appealing. I keep playing not because I'm enjoying myself, but because I'm desperately trying to find out where this secret area is that deserves so many 10 star ratings. The animation is an absolute joke. Don't agree? Try the acrobat class. You look likeI don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or what. I've played this game for 15+ hours and still cannot find out why people find it so appealing. I keep playing not because I'm enjoying myself, but because I'm desperately trying to find out where this secret area is that deserves so many 10 star ratings. The animation is an absolute joke. Don't agree? Try the acrobat class. You look like you're programmed by an epileptic coke head using garys mod. Need to escape combat and have the ability to fly or run faster then the speed of sound? TOO BAD because every enemy has an ability to stop you from running away and "GROUNDING" you so that your flight or speed ability is reduced to nothing more then saving money on cab fare. And it's not like traveling is all that important anyway. 90% of the city is buildings and EMPTY streets with an occasional single civilian or grouping of 6 cars. And if you so much as look at one of the cars wrong the driver becomes suicidal and drives in a strait line before hitting the self destruct an hero button. The polygon mapping is slower then a dead snails **** and don't hit the start button to pull up the map unless you plan on taking a dump while it loads. Speaking of loads it loads up to 14 GIGS on the PS3. I mean seriously guys, why go through the trouble of making a game on a bluray disc if you are going to only have it contain a single line of text and an 8 bit color swatch?! It LITERALLY takes 3-4 hours before you can even begin to walk your first time putting this piece of garbage into your ps3. If I was going to waste time with a timesink of boredom such as this I'd rather count how many gallons of raccoon urine it takes to kill each and every comic book geek in denial of how gawd awful this game is after waiting for it for so long and has a beat red face for nerdraging over reading this review. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2011
    I found the game fun for about 2 weeks and then grew tired of it. Definitely not worth a monthly fee to play. Then I found out that the disks are locked to a single console so I can't even trade it in. Boo! The load screens are many, often, and overly long. Once you get your speed bonus (lvl9 I think) you can travel faster than the game can draw and you end up looking at chunky blocks ofI found the game fun for about 2 weeks and then grew tired of it. Definitely not worth a monthly fee to play. Then I found out that the disks are locked to a single console so I can't even trade it in. Boo! The load screens are many, often, and overly long. Once you get your speed bonus (lvl9 I think) you can travel faster than the game can draw and you end up looking at chunky blocks of scenery that would be buildings if only you would stop for a moment to let the poor thing catch up. Combat and missions are repetitive, once you've completed your first 2 or 3 missions you've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. Huge disappointment for me all around. Expand
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    This is one of few games that are FREE to download (and play) so I decide to try it. After 3 GBs and later more 12 GB (updates) I finally had play DC Universe (for my bad).
    The intro is really very cool, but the game has nothing to do with it! Completely annoying.
    I don't recommend.
  8. Jan 20, 2011

1. Apr 6, 2011
    DCUO, as first console-MMORPG, can be considered a good start; it's basically a Hack'n'slash, with an interesting history and RPG elements, but some missions are repetitive and there are a lot of graphic bugs. However, the monthly major updates promised by Sony On Line justify the subscription, especially for DC Fans.
  2. Mar 23, 2011
    Superb when everything comes together, hugely frustrating when it doesn't. [Issue#107, p.96]
  3. The fighting component, however, is where the game hits a stumbling block. More depth to the combat could have really made this a winner, as you really only have a dozen or so regular attacks and "specials" (and that's when you level cap out at 30) combined, so it can get old after a while. SOE may be hard pressed to sustain interest. [April 2011, p.76]