5.9

1. Apr 23, 2013
    this game should have never been sold as a new game, this is an DLC being sold at full blown price disguised as a whole new game, but new? this is a copy paste of the previous game, bugs and glitches that we all hated are back, the story was never great but was ok on the fist game but on this one story well...... theres barely nothing to hold on. no innovation, technically plagues bythis game should have never been sold as a new game, this is an DLC being sold at full blown price disguised as a whole new game, but new? this is a copy paste of the previous game, bugs and glitches that we all hated are back, the story was never great but was ok on the fist game but on this one story well...... theres barely nothing to hold on. no innovation, technically plagues by issues, dull and two steps backwards from the first game. my advice, buy the FIRST GAME, its cheap by now and better!! Expand
  2. crs
    Apr 28, 2013
    Same as the first Dead Island Great

but

Even More Bugs Bad

Character keeps randomly losing weapons so no point upgrading anything and means you get killed multiple times
  3. May 1, 2013
    Who creates and releases a co-op game where co-op just doesn't work at all? Yes, that's right THESE guys. It's even worse than Dead Island, where the game lobby worked when it felt like working, which was not so often.

I've not yet been able to create or join a private co-op game. The error message suggests that there are no public slots available, which should be a hint as to how completely worthless this game is in the matters of online play. Connection and creating public games work somewhat better, but if you're able to connect to someone, you might lose the connection every 30 seconds to 30 minutes or so. Which pretty much makes this game an infinite frustrating loop of reconnecting.

AVOID THIS GAME if you want a solid co-op experience.
  4. May 4, 2013
    Would have been an entertaining game, but it has too many bugs. I hope techland reads this:

FIX THAT DXMN HOARDER-TROPHY!

I cannot get platinum due to that bug (it says I only have 60/61 collectibles, the bug is already know in forums), stay away from this piece of digital shxt. I'll write a proper review after I got my platinum, techland!
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide could be mistaken for Dead Island DLC, and I would not disagree with you. The story of Riptide is basically the original's story but with a sort of new setting. The setting trades resorts and beaches for jungles and wetlands, which are not as interesting as the first. The game play is also the same as the original and still has all of its problems. The hit detection,Dead Island: Riptide could be mistaken for Dead Island DLC, and I would not disagree with you. The story of Riptide is basically the original's story but with a sort of new setting. The setting trades resorts and beaches for jungles and wetlands, which are not as interesting as the first. The game play is also the same as the original and still has all of its problems. The hit detection, something you think would be fixed, is not and hurts the game. The only time I had genuine fun is in co-op multiplayer, playing with my friends almost made the game, "so bad its good", as we would laugh at the bad dialogue and all the absurd things we had to fetch for characters. Dead Island: Riptide should not be bought at full price and could have been sold as DLC, which is what this game is. Expand
  6. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Possible Spoilers* This is the same exact thing as it's first installment; same bugs & glitches that plagued the first one are here, it's online is pretty dumb & I can go on with my co-op issues. It lacks split screen co-op in this day and age which makes no sense in this day & age. A few new.zombies and a boat as well as one new character. The plot is horrible due to the fact that the story does not play out so well, even the ending is a lackluster.
    Save your money and wait for a price drop; the game is not even worth it's low price now. If you're expecting improvements then you'll surely be disappointed.
    Pros: zombie dismemberment, data from DI carries over giving veterans a headstart, sound is amazing even though a lot of the creepy noises are part of the soundtrack the screams from the zombies will have you on your toes very often, huge island to explore with a decent amount of side missions.

Cons: it's online co-op is a bit messy, if you played Dead Island one then you know what to expect as nothing has really changed, lack of an interesting plot.

My biggest issues are: no split screen co-op, it makes no sense how we don't have split screen in a game like this that relies heavily on co-op; I got into several rooms and am kicked by players for just doing missions while they use XP & weapon duplication exploits. There should be a penalty system, if someone intentionally kills another player or does it a certain amount of times then they should then be able to vote a player out. So unless you have friends who also play this game you're better off playing alone.

Plot: the game really lacks a plot, nothing draws you to the characters and you really don't get the feeling that you're trying to make it out alive. The plot also has holes as well as the ending which only leaves the outcome to your imagination. It's not worth the price as of this time, wait for the price to drop.
    I appreciate what Deep silver & Techland are trying to do here, we need more games like this but this was a horrible execution that only leaves you wanting more before you even get half way through the game.
    Save your money.
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    The first Dead Island was a glitch-ridden, poorly executed zombie game that had a lot of potential to be good. Riptide is a less glitch-ridden, but still poorly executed zombie game that still has yet to reach its full potential. The story is pretty bland and uninteresting, the voice acting is poor, and the graphics are only slightly improved. One thing I did enjoy though were theThe first Dead Island was a glitch-ridden, poorly executed zombie game that had a lot of potential to be good. Riptide is a less glitch-ridden, but still poorly executed zombie game that still has yet to reach its full potential. The story is pretty bland and uninteresting, the voice acting is poor, and the graphics are only slightly improved. One thing I did enjoy though were the tower-defense esque missions where you must protect an area with other survivors from hordes and hordes of infected. The game also has drop-in drop-out co-op which can make it more fun, but still not fun enough. Again, the Dead Island franchise has potential to be a good game, people want it to be a good game, but it still isn't "there yet". Expand
  8. May 9, 2013
    This game is ok for a few hours to begin with but then becomes very apparent that these few beginning hours are all your gonna get for the whole thing! Fetch this, fetch that! Go here go there. BORING Glitch fest
  9. May 17, 2013
    This game is a colossal piece of sh1t; it made me angry playing it not because it was tough, but because it was so poorly engineered. The controls are terrible: running sort of works, when it feels like it; driving is clunky and feels like it came from a 90's game; the melee attacks are cumbersome; the graphics are decent, but repetitive. Overall this game just feels like iot was halfThis game is a colossal piece of sh1t; it made me angry playing it not because it was tough, but because it was so poorly engineered. The controls are terrible: running sort of works, when it feels like it; driving is clunky and feels like it came from a 90's game; the melee attacks are cumbersome; the graphics are decent, but repetitive. Overall this game just feels like iot was half done, as if the engineers just said "ahhh, fu*k it, lets call it a day, and charge players to pay for this steaming heap of dog sh1t." Expand

1. The game's uninspired vibe and execution are not the only things that Techland and Deep Silver forgot to improve upon. The graphics are sub par to say the least. The game can have you staring in awe at a stranded battle cruiser, but the immersion quickly falls apart when you notice your gun sticking trough a solid brick wall. [May 2013, p.76]
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    At the end of the day, Dead Island: Riptide has a lot of good ideas, especially in its latter half. The combat, while repetitive and often frustrating with the annoying inventory management, still manages to provide exciting encounters. It just seems as if the developer didn't trust players enough to fully immerse them with the survival horror title suggested by the mechanics.
    It has moments of high tension, and overall it stays true to its rhythm, is more Dead Island, so if you liked the first, you will certainly enjoy this one too.