Dead Island: Riptide PlayStation 3

5.9

1. Apr 27, 2013
    The first Dead Island was one of my favorite games of 2011 thanks to it's fantastic melee combat, excellent four player co-op, and RPG elements. Dead Island: Riptide was my most anticipated game of 2013, and while it is a fun experience it all just comes across as a less polished version of the original. Riptide brings some new features to the table like a new setting, story, zombie types,The first Dead Island was one of my favorite games of 2011 thanks to it's fantastic melee combat, excellent four player co-op, and RPG elements. Dead Island: Riptide was my most anticipated game of 2013, and while it is a fun experience it all just comes across as a less polished version of the original. Riptide brings some new features to the table like a new setting, story, zombie types, and playable character but I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu. The games dated graphics and technical issues make this feel like a rushed sequel. I still had a lot of fun with the game, its tight gameplay and outstanding co-op kept me hooked until the end and they did make some improvements in key areas. The story is much better this time around because they actually gave us one. The voice acting is horrid but the fact that they gave us a cast of characters to follow and made the playable characters actually likable kept me interested in where the story went. They also improved the soundtrack, whether it's a dark melody, a rap from Sam B. (a playable character), or a distinct zombie scream you ears are in for a treat. So while Dead Island: Riptide isn't as good as its predecessor it is still a fun game. Its fantastic co-op, deep RPG elements, and satisfying combat will keep you hooked until the end. Just don't expect the next great zombie game. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Did you play the original Dead Island? Did you enjoy the game despite it's flaws? I sure did and if you did also, then get ready for more bloody, head chopping, arm amputating action. This is simply more of the same for better or for worse. A lot of the same issues from last game are still apparent but the gameplay and setting are just too enjoyable to dismiss. For fans of the original,Did you play the original Dead Island? Did you enjoy the game despite it's flaws? I sure did and if you did also, then get ready for more bloody, head chopping, arm amputating action. This is simply more of the same for better or for worse. A lot of the same issues from last game are still apparent but the gameplay and setting are just too enjoyable to dismiss. For fans of the original, this is a guaranteed "Like"...For everyone else, try before you buy. It gets my thumbs up. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    If you played the original Dead Island and enjoyed it then you should be right at home with this sequel of sorts. The thing is this game just has the same feeling as the original in the sense of changes, you still see the same bugs and glitches as you did in the original and not much has changed on the graphics of the game. The menus are exactly the same as the original and they evenIf you played the original Dead Island and enjoyed it then you should be right at home with this sequel of sorts. The thing is this game just has the same feeling as the original in the sense of changes, you still see the same bugs and glitches as you did in the original and not much has changed on the graphics of the game. The menus are exactly the same as the original and they even reused a lot of the game assets from the original as far as items in the environment. That being said if this game was a little cheaper it would be fine but if you enjoyed the original you will most likely enjoy this game as well. Expand
  4. Sep 13, 2013
    DI Riptide is a great game. I played it first on PC and was awesome. I put metascore 8 for PC version. However, PS3 version have soooo many issues that spoil part of the fun. Big problems with sound, big problems with performance. So, PS3 version 3 points lower.
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    You know a games not great when you get the same bugs in the second game as the first game, (my gun still jerks around 9 times out of 10 for god sake!!!)
  6. May 14, 2013
    Dead island riptide i scored this game a 7 due to it keeping its fun factor but really it is no were near as good as the original dead island with one new playable character and not many new weapons you go straight back to using your favorite weapons from dead island 1. There is even less story now as you are only quickly introduced to the new guy after a flashback to the events of deadDead island riptide i scored this game a 7 due to it keeping its fun factor but really it is no were near as good as the original dead island with one new playable character and not many new weapons you go straight back to using your favorite weapons from dead island 1. There is even less story now as you are only quickly introduced to the new guy after a flashback to the events of dead island. The originals story was based around introducing you to each new playable character and even mission givers. in riptide it does not seem too matter also the island seems to be way smaller than the original and the areas look familiar in places even with the new flooded water levels. the areas lack distinction and merge into one. unlike the original were you had the Hotel area the lab jungle area the boat ride and so on. While still fun to play. the problems with on-line connections and random loss of connections still persisting in Riptide. Its hard to recommend it but if you enjoyed the first its worth playing just don't expect too much. Dead Island needs 5 brand new characters and a locker full of new weapons before dead island 3. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    I was hoping for better.

Like the original dead island. Excellent sound. Great atmosphere. Good graphics. Good sandbox. OK story & quests. But some real immersion killers: 1) You level up, the zombies level up. same as the original dead island. Endgame zombies can kill you just as easily as startgame ones - usually in one or two blows. Not bad in itself. Leveling up is like
    I was hoping for better.

But some real immersion killers:

1) You level up, the zombies level up. same as the original dead island. Endgame zombies can kill you just as easily as startgame ones - usually in one or two blows. Not bad in itself. Leveling up is like running to stand still, so why bother with levelling? At the tail end of the game the toughness of some zombies becomes silly - I'm level 50 with a maxed out auto rifle facing a thug' zombie at 20 yards. I have to shoot it in the head 12 times to kill it. WTF! I step through a door the thug was guarding. I step back through the door and the thug zombie has respawned next to me and kills me instantly in one blow. I respawn 20 yards away - but this time with no ammo. Arrrrrrgh frustration!!!!!!!!

2) Internet 'integration. Riptide really wants you online - and not in a good 'left 4 dead' way. It really wants you to sign in via facebook. Why? I got so annoyed I disconnected the PS3 from the net and the game wouldnt start. Often during the game other online players would 'join in' univited and unwanted and troll around breaking the immersion - I couldn't see any way to stop this.

A great, but flawed, zombie sandbox.
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    It's definitely not a sequel bringing a new dimension and pushing the game to the next level.
    So quite disappointed in that respect. But the game remains cool and I was happy to pursue the storyline and smashes zombies solo then in teams.
    Also I felt the game's length a little bit shorten and was lacking some more places and plots to discover. Original game gave me much more satisfaction in this respect but I'm still definitely waiting for a real Dead Island 2!
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    dead island riptide is no true squeal, No Impressive Improvements (A little gorier), and a downgrade for the most part really noticeable in the voice acting and controls..
    I considered the previous dead island a 10 out of 10 and riptide practically being the same game with in a different area I'm going to give it a 7 for re releasing the same game twice, even if it is still pretty good..

There are incredible amounts of weapons and ways to customize them, and leveling is incredibly easy, max level in 3 days if you commit a bit of time, and you start the game at lvl 15..

If you haven't owned the first one and are thinking of getting a dead island game, get the first one instead, it's a better then dead island 1.2 aka riptide..
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is much like the first. I would say a little too much. I would like more new stuff. This is almost like an dlc tho takes more time to complete. Pretty much only thing i like in this game is the wave based defending tho i think its too easy. Why i say the only thing? Because the rest is like the first dead island,
    tho of course i liked the other things too like cutting off the
    tho of course i liked the other things too like cutting off the heads etc, but its nothing new. This makes this game bit of an letdown. They made new things too safe what made this game not worth even close score 10. I completed this game on ps3 and sometimes it got laggy (this didn't happen on first dead island).
    After all this is good follow up of the first dead island but doesn't give you much new stuff. Just new missions mostly and wave based defending. Fan of zombie games this is still must buy.
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide is a glitchy, ugly, FUN mess. While the story and voice acting is dreadful, the characters and gameplay are memorable and the overall experience is quite good. However, as a reviewer, I am obligated to say that this game is far from great. Dead Island: Riptide seems to cash in on the hype from its predecessor and is barely an improvement. It feels like a reskin.Dead Island: Riptide is a glitchy, ugly, FUN mess. While the story and voice acting is dreadful, the characters and gameplay are memorable and the overall experience is quite good. However, as a reviewer, I am obligated to say that this game is far from great. Dead Island: Riptide seems to cash in on the hype from its predecessor and is barely an improvement. It feels like a reskin. But the great MMO/RPG aspects (weapon rarity) and gameplay are still there. VERY THERE. Glitches aside, the game runs quite badly, despite having horrible graphics. I recommend this game ONLY TO FANS OF THE ORIGINAL. Dead Island: Riptide is best comparable to 6 sided die. It all depends on which angle you look at it. Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    This game is so similar to original,it's almost grotesque.
    Deep Silver almost offended gamers with this repetivity.
    Isn't that good and it gets an 6/10.
  13. Sep 28, 2013
    "Dead Island: Riptide" no responde a los gritos de auxilio que todos aullamos en la primera entrega, en ves de eso, el juego se volvió tedioso y totalmente repetitivo, los gráficos son exactamente iguales, lo único que cambia son más ambientaciones para cubrir el juego y más variedad de enemigos. Pero si jugaron la entrega original, ya lo vieron todo y no hace falta gastar un dineral para"Dead Island: Riptide" no responde a los gritos de auxilio que todos aullamos en la primera entrega, en ves de eso, el juego se volvió tedioso y totalmente repetitivo, los gráficos son exactamente iguales, lo único que cambia son más ambientaciones para cubrir el juego y más variedad de enemigos. Pero si jugaron la entrega original, ya lo vieron todo y no hace falta gastar un dineral para jugar "Dead Island: Riptide". Expand
  14. Feb 19, 2014
    Been playing the game for a few hours now, but I'm not really getting into this game.
    It's doing a few good things (impact of weapons, ok graphics), but there are older games of which these things seem taken off and in which games these traits or mechanics were worked out better than in DI:R.
    eg face animations can be seen in Fallout, surroundings in Farcry etc. Voice acting isn't
    eg face animations can be seen in Fallout, surroundings in Farcry etc.

Voice acting isn't overly great though and not in sync with voice animations. Too much grinding and repetitiveness of the combat too.

They'd need to improve on the formula to get me interested.

1. The game's uninspired vibe and execution are not the only things that Techland and Deep Silver forgot to improve upon. The graphics are sub par to say the least. The game can have you staring in awe at a stranded battle cruiser, but the immersion quickly falls apart when you notice your gun sticking trough a solid brick wall. [May 2013, p.76]
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    At the end of the day, Dead Island: Riptide has a lot of good ideas, especially in its latter half. The combat, while repetitive and often frustrating with the annoying inventory management, still manages to provide exciting encounters. It just seems as if the developer didn't trust players enough to fully immerse them with the survival horror title suggested by the mechanics.
    It has moments of high tension, and overall it stays true to its rhythm, is more Dead Island, so if you liked the first, you will certainly enjoy this one too.