6.0

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Been playing the game for a few hours now, but I'm not really getting into this game.
    It's doing a few good things (impact of weapons, ok graphics), but there are older games of which these things seem taken off and in which games these traits or mechanics were worked out better than in DI:R.
    eg face animations can be seen in Fallout, surroundings in Farcry etc.

Voice acting isn't
    overly great though and not in sync with voice animations. Too much grinding and repetitiveness of the combat too.

They'd need to improve on the formula to get me interested.
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    I was hoping for better. Like the original dead island. Excellent sound. Great atmosphere. Good graphics. Good sandbox. OK story & quests. But some real immersion killers: 1) You level up, the zombies level up. same as the original dead island. Endgame zombies can kill you just as easily as startgame ones - usually in one or two blows. Not bad in itself. Leveling up is like running to stand still, so why bother with levelling? At the tail end of the game the toughness of some zombies becomes silly - I'm level 50 with a maxed out auto rifle facing a thug' zombie at 20 yards. I have to shoot it in the head 12 times to kill it. WTF! I step through a door the thug was guarding. I step back through the door and the thug zombie has respawned next to me and kills me instantly in one blow. I respawn 20 yards away - but this time with no ammo. Arrrrrrgh frustration!!!!!!!!

2) Internet 'integration. Riptide really wants you online - and not in a good 'left 4 dead' way. It really wants you to sign in via facebook. Why? I got so annoyed I disconnected the PS3 from the net and the game wouldnt start. Often during the game other online players would 'join in' univited and unwanted and troll around breaking the immersion - I couldn't see any way to stop this.

A great, but flawed, zombie sandbox.
  3. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful graphic improvements the color is better then the first and i see the infected slowed down the new zombies are cool the boat travel was fun and i loved the new weapons this game is awesome and very addictive i played this for 6 months straight
  4. Sep 28, 2013
    "Dead Island: Riptide" no responde a los gritos de auxilio que todos aullamos en la primera entrega, en ves de eso, el juego se volvió tedioso y totalmente repetitivo, los gráficos son exactamente iguales, lo único que cambia son más ambientaciones para cubrir el juego y más variedad de enemigos. Pero si jugaron la entrega original, ya lo vieron todo y no hace falta gastar un dineral para jugar "Dead Island: Riptide". Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide could be mistaken for Dead Island DLC, and I would not disagree with you. The story of Riptide is basically the original's story but with a sort of new setting. The setting trades resorts and beaches for jungles and wetlands, which are not as interesting as the first. The game play is also the same as the original and still has all of its problems. The hit detection, something you think would be fixed, is not and hurts the game. The only time I had genuine fun is in co-op multiplayer, playing with my friends almost made the game, "so bad its good", as we would laugh at the bad dialogue and all the absurd things we had to fetch for characters. Dead Island: Riptide should not be bought at full price and could have been sold as DLC, which is what this game is. Expand
  6. Sep 13, 2013
    DI Riptide is a great game. I played it first on PC and was awesome. I put metascore 8 for PC version. However, PS3 version have soooo many issues that spoil part of the fun. Big problems with sound, big problems with performance. So, PS3 version 3 points lower.
  7. Aug 23, 2013
    It's definitely not a sequel bringing a new dimension and pushing the game to the next level.
    So quite disappointed in that respect. But the game remains cool and I was happy to pursue the storyline and smashes zombies solo then in teams.
    Also I felt the game's length a little bit shorten and was lacking some more places and plots to discover. Original game gave me much more
    satisfaction in this respect but I'm still definitely waiting for a real Dead Island 2! Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    I have some kind of love-hate relationship with the dead island series, and especially "riptide". one one hand you have this very very frustrating game, with bunch of weird glitches and bugs. but on the other hand, a great and very fun co-op game, with great multiplayer mechanics and lots of hours of gaming. don't be fooled by the "poor" metascore, this game is very fun to play (CO-OP) and offers, as i said lots of gaming hours, side missions and challenging challenges. sure it might seem expensive, but the gaming experience that you'll get, is well worth the price.

have a great day
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    dead island riptide is no true squeal, No Impressive Improvements (A little gorier), and a downgrade for the most part really noticeable in the voice acting and controls..
    I considered the previous dead island a 10 out of 10 and riptide practically being the same game with in a different area I'm going to give it a 7 for re releasing the same game twice, even if it is still pretty good..

There are incredible amounts of weapons and ways to customize them, and leveling is incredibly easy, max level in 3 days if you commit a bit of time, and you start the game at lvl 15..

If you haven't owned the first one and are thinking of getting a dead island game, get the first one instead, it's a better then dead island 1.2 aka riptide..
  10. Jun 20, 2013
    This game is so similar to original,it's almost grotesque.
    Deep Silver almost offended gamers with this repetivity.
    Isn't that good and it gets an 6/10.
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide is a glitchy, ugly, FUN mess. While the story and voice acting is dreadful, the characters and gameplay are memorable and the overall experience is quite good. However, as a reviewer, I am obligated to say that this game is far from great. Dead Island: Riptide seems to cash in on the hype from its predecessor and is barely an improvement. It feels like a reskin. But the great MMO/RPG aspects (weapon rarity) and gameplay are still there. VERY THERE. Glitches aside, the game runs quite badly, despite having horrible graphics. I recommend this game ONLY TO FANS OF THE ORIGINAL. Dead Island: Riptide is best comparable to 6 sided die. It all depends on which angle you look at it. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    "Riptide" isn't a game that will break any boundaries, but it is still a fun experience as it stands. The story is not very engaging, but the gameplay, as a whole, is very satisfying, enough so that you will be able to forgive the game's lack of an engaging story.

The game is what it looks like. You kill large amounts of undead, collect necessary supplies, defend bases from more undead,
    rinse and repeat. There is some occasional strategy involved, but there isn't much that an upgraded or created weapon can't fix. There is some occasional strategy involved. The swinging of weapons is the most notable. If you swing weapons too much and/or too much, you leave yourself susceptible to attack, which is a nice add-in, as it makes the game feel a little more realistic in a way, as many games would just allow you to swing weapons at ease. That, and weapons break down, as well, and you need to repair them every now and again. Other than that, you just charge in and kill zombies to your heart's content.

It may sound like a boring concept, but it manages to keep you hooked, if only for the thrill of killing large amounts of zombies. The side quests end up being very helpful in your quest, and you will probably find yourself completing a lot of them in order to get cash and/or helpful supplies that will help enhance your experience. There are some occasional bugs and glitches, but nothing that really broke the game. At least not for me. This is a very fun game if you don't expect a ton out of it, but it is probably a game that is best bought at $20 or $30. If you don't expect the world of this game, you will probably have a lot of fun.
  13. Jun 2, 2013
    This comes from someone who actually finished the game. Most of the professional reviews I've read are just SO MISLEADING. Most of them say that Dead Island Riptide is clunky, boring, repetitive, uninspired and that the frame rate is ridiculous. The game is clunky and the frame rate is ridiculous, I give you that. But DIR is pretty much the SAME AWESOME GAME the original Dead Island was, back in the day. And the original one was as clunky and sometimes broken. I found this to be perfect sequel. It starts exactly where the first one ended and give us much of the same (in the best way possible!). First of all, it's possible to use your old character which is great, because you can begin the game with a lot of perks that come handy early on. There are a couple of new zombies to deal with, new weapons, new mods, a CHAINSAW (yes!) and just SO MUCH TO DO. There are many places to go, many threats, secrets and even some interesting sidequests. Ok, the old fetch-quest thing is there and it's used to exhaustion but the game NEVER looses momentum. It keeps going and it got me hooked from the first to the last minute. DON'T TRUST PROFESSIONAL REVIEWS with this one. DIR won't be the game of the year nor it'll be the best game or even the best zombie game you'll ever play but trust me: if you enjoyed the first one you'll LOVE this. Expand
  14. May 20, 2013
    After playing this game now 75% complete I decided to go check out the reviews to listen to everyone else boast about this game only to find out it's mostly poor reviews....I don't understand this at all. This game is absolutely great! Open world zombie rpg and done very well. The only thing I can guess is that the majority of zombie game fan these days is expecting black ops type zombies and not so much into rpg's. And the result fans of one genre dropped into a different genre and not liking the gameplay because it is not their usual format. I'm not sure. All I know I'm a zombie fan and a rpg nut and this game had everything I could ever have wanted. I would give it a 10 if it was persistantly online world like defiance. But reveiw results like I have seen has made me loose my trust for reveiw scores for games. In the end its what you think that matters and can only trust others opinions to a small degree. this is my favorite game of the year directly followed by defiance. Dead Island riptide for the ps3 plays smoothly, is full of great content and very satisfying for all your rpg zombie slaying desires. Play the game and judge it yourself. Expand
  15. May 17, 2013
    This game is a colossal piece of sh1t; it made me angry playing it not because it was tough, but because it was so poorly engineered. The controls are terrible: running sort of works, when it feels like it; driving is clunky and feels like it came from a 90's game; the melee attacks are cumbersome; the graphics are decent, but repetitive. Overall this game just feels like iot was half done, as if the engineers just said "ahhh, fu*k it, lets call it a day, and charge players to pay for this steaming heap of dog sh1t." Expand
  16. May 14, 2013
    Dead island riptide i scored this game a 7 due to it keeping its fun factor but really it is no were near as good as the original dead island with one new playable character and not many new weapons you go straight back to using your favorite weapons from dead island 1. There is even less story now as you are only quickly introduced to the new guy after a flashback to the events of dead island. The originals story was based around introducing you to each new playable character and even mission givers. in riptide it does not seem too matter also the island seems to be way smaller than the original and the areas look familiar in places even with the new flooded water levels. the areas lack distinction and merge into one. unlike the original were you had the Hotel area the lab jungle area the boat ride and so on. While still fun to play. the problems with on-line connections and random loss of connections still persisting in Riptide. Its hard to recommend it but if you enjoyed the first its worth playing just don't expect too much. Dead Island needs 5 brand new characters and a locker full of new weapons before dead island 3. Expand
  17. May 9, 2013
    This game is ok for a few hours to begin with but then becomes very apparent that these few beginning hours are all your gonna get for the whole thing! Fetch this, fetch that! Go here go there. BORING Glitch fest
  18. May 8, 2013
    Incredible game! Its been since Halo 4 that I've been so immersed in a game. My only complaint is the fact that you are limited in how many weapons one can carry. That is my complaint for a lot of games though. Can be terrifying at times. Combat is great, there is something satisfying about smashing zombie skulls that few games can do well. This is one of those games.
  19. May 5, 2013
    It's just awesome!

I see many there are whining on the bugs and stuff, it's normal in any application that arrives!
    Riptide is much more fun (and longer) than the classic Dead Island that's for sure!
  20. May 4, 2013
    Would have been an entertaining game, but it has too many bugs. I hope techland reads this:

FIX THAT DXMN HOARDER-TROPHY!

I cannot get platinum due to that bug (it says I only have 60/61 collectibles, the bug is already know in forums), stay away from this piece of digital shxt. I'll write a proper review after I got my platinum, techland!
  21. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Possible Spoilers* This is the same exact thing as it's first installment; same bugs & glitches that plagued the first one are here, it's online is pretty dumb & I can go on with my co-op issues. It lacks split screen co-op in this day and age which makes no sense in this day & age. A few new.zombies and a boat as well as one new character. The plot is horrible due to the fact that the story does not play out so well, even the ending is a lackluster.
    Save your money and wait for a price drop; the game is not even worth it's low price now. If you're expecting improvements then you'll surely be disappointed.
    Pros: zombie dismemberment, data from DI carries over giving veterans a headstart, sound is amazing even though a lot of the creepy noises are part of the soundtrack the screams from the zombies will have you on your toes very often, huge island to explore with a decent amount of side missions.

Cons: it's online co-op is a bit messy, if you played Dead Island one then you know what to expect as nothing has really changed, lack of an interesting plot.

My biggest issues are: no split screen co-op, it makes no sense how we don't have split screen in a game like this that relies heavily on co-op; I got into several rooms and am kicked by players for just doing missions while they use XP & weapon duplication exploits. There should be a penalty system, if someone intentionally kills another player or does it a certain amount of times then they should then be able to vote a player out. So unless you have friends who also play this game you're better off playing alone.

Plot: the game really lacks a plot, nothing draws you to the characters and you really don't get the feeling that you're trying to make it out alive. The plot also has holes as well as the ending which only leaves the outcome to your imagination. It's not worth the price as of this time, wait for the price to drop.
    I appreciate what Deep silver & Techland are trying to do here, we need more games like this but this was a horrible execution that only leaves you wanting more before you even get half way through the game.
    Save your money.
  22. May 1, 2013
    Who creates and releases a co-op game where co-op just doesn't work at all? Yes, that's right THESE guys. It's even worse than Dead Island, where the game lobby worked when it felt like working, which was not so often.

I've not yet been able to create or join a private co-op game. The error message suggests that there are no public slots available, which should be a hint as to how
    completely worthless this game is in the matters of online play. Connection and creating public games work somewhat better, but if you're able to connect to someone, you might lose the connection every 30 seconds to 30 minutes or so. Which pretty much makes this game an infinite frustrating loop of reconnecting.

AVOID THIS GAME if you want a solid co-op experience.
  23. Apr 30, 2013
    The first Dead Island was a glitch-ridden, poorly executed zombie game that had a lot of potential to be good. Riptide is a less glitch-ridden, but still poorly executed zombie game that still has yet to reach its full potential. The story is pretty bland and uninteresting, the voice acting is poor, and the graphics are only slightly improved. One thing I did enjoy though were the tower-defense esque missions where you must protect an area with other survivors from hordes and hordes of infected. The game also has drop-in drop-out co-op which can make it more fun, but still not fun enough. Again, the Dead Island franchise has potential to be a good game, people want it to be a good game, but it still isn't "there yet". Expand
  24. Apr 30, 2013
    What can you say.... I just like it the same as part 1. A welcome game.... I like the game most in co-op mode, that's where the beauty is.

I was reading the reviews and they where mostly negative, despite them I just bought the game and did not regret it at all.
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    You know a games not great when you get the same bugs in the second game as the first game, (my gun still jerks around 9 times out of 10 for god sake!!!)
  26. Apr 28, 2013
    If you played the original Dead Island and enjoyed it then you should be right at home with this sequel of sorts. The thing is this game just has the same feeling as the original in the sense of changes, you still see the same bugs and glitches as you did in the original and not much has changed on the graphics of the game. The menus are exactly the same as the original and they even reused a lot of the game assets from the original as far as items in the environment. That being said if this game was a little cheaper it would be fine but if you enjoyed the original you will most likely enjoy this game as well. Expand
  27. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is much like the first. I would say a little too much. I would like more new stuff. This is almost like an dlc tho takes more time to complete. Pretty much only thing i like in this game is the wave based defending tho i think its too easy. Why i say the only thing? Because the rest is like the first dead island,
    tho of course i liked the other things too like cutting off the
    heads etc, but its nothing new. This makes this game bit of an letdown. They made new things too safe what made this game not worth even close score 10. I completed this game on ps3 and sometimes it got laggy (this didn't happen on first dead island).
    After all this is good follow up of the first dead island but doesn't give you much new stuff. Just new missions mostly and wave based defending. Fan of zombie games this is still must buy.
  28. crs
    Apr 28, 2013
    Same as the first Dead Island Great

but

Even More Bugs Bad

Character keeps randomly losing weapons so no point upgrading anything and means you get killed multiple times
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    The first Dead Island was one of my favorite games of 2011 thanks to it's fantastic melee combat, excellent four player co-op, and RPG elements. Dead Island: Riptide was my most anticipated game of 2013, and while it is a fun experience it all just comes across as a less polished version of the original. Riptide brings some new features to the table like a new setting, story, zombie types, and playable character but I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu. The games dated graphics and technical issues make this feel like a rushed sequel. I still had a lot of fun with the game, its tight gameplay and outstanding co-op kept me hooked until the end and they did make some improvements in key areas. The story is much better this time around because they actually gave us one. The voice acting is horrid but the fact that they gave us a cast of characters to follow and made the playable characters actually likable kept me interested in where the story went. They also improved the soundtrack, whether it's a dark melody, a rap from Sam B. (a playable character), or a distinct zombie scream you ears are in for a treat. So while Dead Island: Riptide isn't as good as its predecessor it is still a fun game. Its fantastic co-op, deep RPG elements, and satisfying combat will keep you hooked until the end. Just don't expect the next great zombie game. Expand
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    Other than a little freezing here or there, this game is everything I had hoped it would be! It has all the same great gameplay elements that I grew to love in the first dead island. The zombies are exponentially harder to kill than in the first. Bravo techland, bravo.
  31. Apr 26, 2013
    Like the old sayings goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix. To me the first one was great, realllllly great. Sure It had its moments with glitches but what game does not. All in all, if you liked the first one then this one will be what you are expecting with some new weapons and new zombies thrown into the mix. If you did not like the first one then you won't like the second one either.

Sure it does feel like a big expansion but at least it is marketed at $49.99 only.
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    I feel like there was not a lot of new features but the new quests, character and whole new map was fun to hack, crush and slash my way through. It just feels so satisfying stompin' heads. It did sell at 50 dollars instead of 60 so I felt happy about that aswell. The glitches can be bad but there was a patch released today and It fixed some of them. I feel you should buy this if you enjoyed the previous game or if you like zombie games in general. Expand
  33. Apr 25, 2013
    After playing through most of this game, I can honestly say that it is more of the same. However, that is a GOOD thing. The original Dead Island was a blast to play and this game is just as much fun. Not every game needs to have a great story or acting to be considered a great game. Some games are just plain fun and Dead Island Riptide delivers on that. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one too. Expand
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    Ok, I understand there is not alot of new features here and the voice acting sucks, but I love Dead Island as well as 5 million other people. To sell 5 million copies says something. Yes this may not be a direct sequel but it is a continuation of the story and a reason to play more Dead Island. I really enjoyed the gameplay and rpg elements that dead island had to offer, so why should Techland go back to the drawing board. People get over it, there are minor changes in God of War Ascension compared to 3, and people are not rating it a 3 or 4. Riptide is a fun game with new ideas and some improvements. All of Dead Islands issues were not addressed, but when you push out the game in 19 months, you have to cut them some slack. I would much rather have a new Dead Island every 2 years than wait 3 to 4 years for a "true sequel" The gameplay is why we like Dead Island. Techland, please work on the story for the next game though. Collapse
  35. Apr 23, 2013
    While this game is priced cheaper than a regular new game, I still think it's sweet spot would be about 10 dollars less in North america than it released at. There is a lot here that might seem too familar at it's current price point. Having said that, I was a big fan of the original (played it 4 times with each character), and there are enough tweaks and new content (the new island, which is absolutely beautiful, being the lions share of the "new") here to keep me happy.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed the first one, you should enjoy this. If you were tired of the first one by the time the credits rolled, you will probably not enjoy this game--as it is more of the same with more tweaks to the forumla then outright changes.
  36. Apr 23, 2013
    Did you play the original Dead Island? Did you enjoy the game despite it's flaws? I sure did and if you did also, then get ready for more bloody, head chopping, arm amputating action. This is simply more of the same for better or for worse. A lot of the same issues from last game are still apparent but the gameplay and setting are just too enjoyable to dismiss. For fans of the original, this is a guaranteed "Like"...For everyone else, try before you buy. It gets my thumbs up. Expand
  37. Apr 23, 2013
    this game should have never been sold as a new game, this is an DLC being sold at full blown price disguised as a whole new game, but new? this is a copy paste of the previous game, bugs and glitches that we all hated are back, the story was never great but was ok on the fist game but on this one story well...... theres barely nothing to hold on. no innovation, technically plagues by issues, dull and two steps backwards from the first game. my advice, buy the FIRST GAME, its cheap by now and better!! Expand
  38. Apr 25, 2013

1. The game's uninspired vibe and execution are not the only things that Techland and Deep Silver forgot to improve upon. The graphics are sub par to say the least. The game can have you staring in awe at a stranded battle cruiser, but the immersion quickly falls apart when you notice your gun sticking trough a solid brick wall. [May 2013, p.76]
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    At the end of the day, Dead Island: Riptide has a lot of good ideas, especially in its latter half. The combat, while repetitive and often frustrating with the annoying inventory management, still manages to provide exciting encounters. It just seems as if the developer didn't trust players enough to fully immerse them with the survival horror title suggested by the mechanics.
    It has moments of high tension, and overall it stays true to its rhythm, is more Dead Island, so if you liked the first, you will certainly enjoy this one too.