6.6

1. May 18, 2015
  2. Nov 15, 2014
    Good game plot. That´s all, this game is too repetitive, you do the same all time, kill, jump, run, kill, repeat.
    Its a waste of money. Better play RE6..
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    If there's one thing a zombie game should do is get the zombie slaying to be fun, and Dead Island gets that part right. Say what you will about first-person melee combat, but I found this game's take to be pretty satisfying. Blows have to be dealt with timely precision and depending on what kind of weapon you're using, you can maim or cripple zombies. Swinging your weapon consumes staminaIf there's one thing a zombie game should do is get the zombie slaying to be fun, and Dead Island gets that part right. Say what you will about first-person melee combat, but I found this game's take to be pretty satisfying. Blows have to be dealt with timely precision and depending on what kind of weapon you're using, you can maim or cripple zombies. Swinging your weapon consumes stamina (as does running), so combat requires a certain level of discipline ala Demon's Souls: it's all about timing attacks and dodges, all the while keeping an eye out for crowd control. A situation can go FUBAR any minute.

Unfortunately the game itself goes FUBAR on just about every other conceivable level, and not in a fun way. I don't recall playing a game this glitchy in years. You may load your game and find certain weapons missing from your inventory. Sometimes you'll upgrade your weapon, then mod it with a special blueprint, and upon exiting the workbench the item will have completely vanished (along with your money). And beware of ranged attacks: if you die before picking the weapon you threw, it's gone forever. This is frustrating since the game puts so much emphasis on DIY crafting and weapons' specializing. It's also particularly frustrating if you're playing as Logan, he of the throwable weapon class.

A weapon suddenly going MIA due to a glitch, or simply poor design, dents the game in ways that are never really amended - as does the poor AI. Sometimes enemies won't react near you. Sometimes they'll pick your scent from miles away. A gunshot may or may not alert zombies of your presence. It's all rather inconsistent. And the friendly AI is no better, what with a couple of egregious escort missions stringed along the way. Good luck getting an NPC into a car with you. And good luck steering that awful thing too. None of this is game-breaking but it hampers the experience considerably.

I mentioned a gunshot. Act II of IV throws guns into the game, but don't get too excited about it. I've shot something like 5 bullets into a zombie's head and still it wouldn't die (undie?). Guns are ridiculously weak against the undead, and are best used against other human beings, or the abominable Infected (a "28 Days Later" type of zombie). Speaking of which, zombie types are done pretty well - from the mundane Walkers and Infected, to the Left 4 Dead kind of super-zombies like Suiciders, Rams and Butchers.

About the characters - you get 4 classes, mostly held apart by their unique special attack ("Fury") and a few abilities down their skill trees. It's a pretty standard-issue RPG mechanic, lifted straight off Borderlands. Sadly there's no couch co-op like Borderlands, though online multiplayer is a lot of fun (if, ugh, a little glitchy, going by that one quest giver who simply refused to reward my efforts until I reloaded the game). Quests tend to be of the fetch kind, though the missions that bookend every act are generally pretty intense.

So that's Dead Island for you. I like falling back on it every now and then, it's fun to chop up zombies and explore the island (or at least Act I's sparkling luxury resort). But man is this game infuriatingly buggy.
  4. Oct 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is a review for dead island. it is a video game where things happen and some things that do not happen. it was okay. i would say that it was a video game. Expand
  5. Oct 11, 2014
    Dead Island

Game-play:The game play is fine but it have room for some improvements in range combat.The melee combat is just amazing and the leveling system is very good like all the RPG elements in the game. Story:The story is just boring with no interesting characters and an ending that suck , but have also so fun moments so you will not drop the game.it will take you around 24 to
    Dead Island

Story:The story is just boring with no interesting characters and an ending that suck , but have also so fun moments so you will not drop the game.it will take you around 24 to 26 hours

Graphics:The graphics are ok and the open world details are well made.

Notes:If you are a zombie fun this is a must buy for you but everyone should give a try of this game because it is a good game.
  6. Sep 21, 2014
    pros:
    + fairly open world, so very addictive
    + character and leveling system + weapon upgrading, special skills, and all that other stuff + co-op is pretty great especially in this type of open world zombie game + storyline is better than in an avg zombie game, and its actually pretty long + environment is awesome + sound + tons of diversity cons: - after a while the game gets
    pros:
    + fairly open world, so very addictive
    + character and leveling system
    + weapon upgrading, special skills, and all that other stuff
    + co-op is pretty great especially in this type of open world zombie game
    + storyline is better than in an avg zombie game, and its actually pretty long
    + environment is awesome
    + sound
    + tons of diversity

cons:
    - after a while the game gets pretty repetitive, kill zombies, get better weapons, and do some more quests
    ;/
    -On ps3 the fps averages between 24-30 and it gets a bit choppy once in a while
    - graphics are ok, but seem to struggle on the ps3 even from a 2011 game! look at the last of us on ps3
    - motion blur can't be disabled and is pretty annoying.
    - cutscenes, character animations, and all that are pretty unreal.
    - the whole "money" system after an island was taken over by zombies is just so unrealistic..

Overall i actually loved this game for a huge amount of time, when i got to about 80% in the jungle, the game got pretty repetitive but i still had a lot of fun. Get the goty edition!
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    Just finished this great FPS RPG game. Some people were enjoying the island of Banoi when a zombie outbreak starts, infecting almost the entire island. The 4 survivors who is immune to the virus is trying to find their way out of the island while being guided by the voice on the radio.

Plus point: - Superb atmosphere. The sound effect, the environment, the zombies, it's enough to make

Plus point:
    - Superb atmosphere. The sound effect, the environment, the zombies, it's enough to make my spine chill. I mean you can heard the growling of zombies or someone's screaming or crying. This is totally a horror game. And when you are playing it in FPS, you won't know what's coming from around you, and that's thrilling.
    - Great battle and weapon system. You can modify your weapon with items u found along your journey. You can make an Electric Machette, Fire Mace or whatever to kill zombies. You can cut their limbs, break their body, or you can just stomp on their head with 40K damage.

Minus point:
    - Weak story and sidequests in a sidequest? Not too good, eh? The story is basically simple. Trying to get out of the island and stuffs like that. Just too normal. And too many sidequests. I mean we are doing sidequest to get a sidequest in it? Well..that's weird.
    - Enemy level is the same with our level, so i guess all of the zombies will level up together with you which makes them stronger if you are stronger. It's just like Final Fantasy VIII all over again.
    - Glitches everywhere. Glitches in the sidequests, which makes a sidequest uncompletable.

But in the end, i do enjoy this game. It really feels like surviving, but still some environment glitches bugs me a little. A 7/10 for this game. Might be better if you play it on PC though
  8. Jun 20, 2014
    Very great atmosphere offline and online,awesome missions and good characters that's Dead island.The bad points are the zombies they are all doing the same things and the worst one are the big one.
  9. Jun 6, 2014
    This game was fun the story was good and was capable of grabbing your attention. There were major problems, the loading had terrible lagging when you finished loading to get into a new area the game would always freeze.
  10. May 1, 2014
    was this game good? yes. but it was also very disappointing. the trailer for this game had people expecting game of the year material, but the end result turned out to be somewhat mediocre. the RPG elements are far to simple and the missions are uninteresting. combat is really fun and has great graphics and blood effects and what not, but the guns in the game feel cluncky. the Island iswas this game good? yes. but it was also very disappointing. the trailer for this game had people expecting game of the year material, but the end result turned out to be somewhat mediocre. the RPG elements are far to simple and the missions are uninteresting. combat is really fun and has great graphics and blood effects and what not, but the guns in the game feel cluncky. the Island is beautiful, but there is nothing about the map that really stands out, but its a better open world then some games I've seen like prototype. there is not much to the story, but its a zombie game so the story isn't as much as a concern. overall, a game that was suppose to be awesome and revolutionary, came off ok, and just redressed things that we have already seen before. Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2014
    Story: 7.5 out of 10 Graphics: 7.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 8 out of 10 Fun: 8.5 out of 10 Controls: 9 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8.5 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 8 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: Quite a few
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    Overall this is a pretty good game, it is fun and there is a lot to do, but I did have some problems with it. First off even if you choose to play as one of the two female characters the other characters in the game refer to you as if you are a male. There are a lot of quests to do and while it makes for a good amount of game-play I feel like sometimes you almost seem bogged down withOverall this is a pretty good game, it is fun and there is a lot to do, but I did have some problems with it. First off even if you choose to play as one of the two female characters the other characters in the game refer to you as if you are a male. There are a lot of quests to do and while it makes for a good amount of game-play I feel like sometimes you almost seem bogged down with how much you have to do a one time. And last but no least the most annoying thing I found in the game was that if you find an item, or if someone drops an item for you after a quest and you are not high enough level to use that item you won't even be able to pick it up, which to me was ridiculous. All in all it is always fun to kill zombies and there is still more good than bad. Expand
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    The game looks bad. The gameplay is very very repetitive. The world isn't very big.
    The co-op online isn't bad though and the skill tree works well too, although it's still too limited.
  14. Dec 5, 2013
    I have played the GOTY version 1.3.0 and experienced no major bugs. The map doesn't always show the best way but you can find our own way around anyway, yes there's respawn but it didnt bother me much and i never got any warnings that i'd leave the game area. I had a lot of fun smashing those zombies, graphics are good and there's lots of content, missions and weapons to keep you busy.I have played the GOTY version 1.3.0 and experienced no major bugs. The map doesn't always show the best way but you can find our own way around anyway, yes there's respawn but it didnt bother me much and i never got any warnings that i'd leave the game area. I had a lot of fun smashing those zombies, graphics are good and there's lots of content, missions and weapons to keep you busy. Sure, it's not at the same level as Fallout 3 but still a nice game and definitely worth the 5 bucks i spent on it! Expand
  15. Nov 24, 2013
    So I recognize this game doesn't seem to have a really good reputation. A lot of folks have panned this game as disappointing or just bad in general. Despite all this, I bought the game because, hey, it was only $9.99 at my gamestop. Going in with the aforementioned mindset, I was actually really surprised at how good this game is. The combat against the zombies is pretty fun and engagingSo I recognize this game doesn't seem to have a really good reputation. A lot of folks have panned this game as disappointing or just bad in general. Despite all this, I bought the game because, hey, it was only $9.99 at my gamestop. Going in with the aforementioned mindset, I was actually really surprised at how good this game is. The combat against the zombies is pretty fun and engaging with the zombies leveling up with you. That keeps things fresh and challenging (though you can still kick some serious ass!) The limited stamina was a bit frustrating but at the same time, it added tension to gameplay. You couldn't just sprint around or take on a hundred zombies at a time. Aside from that, rpg-esque elements were relatively solid and multiplayer online with friends is fantastic. My major grips with the game were the fact you don't really get a clear idea of when you are saving, some bugs throughout the game, a pretty bad map and a pretty meh story. Last thing to note: Don't buy this game if you're going in for scares. It's not that kind of game. :P Expand
  16. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. --Read my review if you are undecided. i'l;l write it the way I'd want to read it..
    --1st off This game is a HOME-RUN.
    --THE GAMES GREATEST strength is LOOT! Farming for weapons in the chest is soooo addicting. And you will get sucked into this and hit up the deadIsland WIKI for tips and hints on where this & that is..
    --The game is like a giant treasure map and finding the UBER stuff is sooo rewarding..
    --This game goes into my ""SPECIAL" CATEGORY for large games I run around and sandbox/open world play in FOR MONTHS. that category is SKYRIM/Oblivion,Fallout,,Farcry and Batman,... the reason this game is/was soo awesome is they made killing zombies soo much fun..And the controls are soo perfect.. In deadRising 1 &2 those zombies were whipped out with less impact,,DeadIslands zombies are more like a 1 vs 1. Yeah you'll get good enough to 1 hit kill em, or decap their heads but its more FPS/3ps THEN hack n slash..
    --Theres also the addicting crafting bench. very simple and highly addictive. And the weapons all do something fun. Like homerun is a wooden baseball bat and it cracks the zombies and sends them flying 50 feet and even takes out another zombie if they are in the way. It feels good just like getting a perfect connection with a fastball..
    --I convinced my little brother to play this and 1 year later he was the websites moderator.. jUST A GREAT GAME..The sequel killed the fanbase because weapon farming was nerfed,86'd,killed,removed..grr! goes ta show you how much fun weapon chest farming is..Everytime you leave the huge map and go inside a door or area and theres a "load screen" the chest all reset and you can run around and open them again.. and you get good at this once you memorize where they are..

--final words--For anyone who had a fun routine in any open world game where you went in youre giant path or circle,,snip this guy,,stealth that guy, get this,that, retuen home and sell it etc etc.,.Dead Island fits that mold..plaus theres something beautiful about the sound of seagulls and the surf and tropical birds and parrots. with a good 1080P and surround sound the ambiance does it for me...I bought this game LAST YEAR at Black Friday. I year ago this coming Friday., at wal mart for $7. and it sat on my PS3 shelf for 6 months unopened. Major replay value on this game too...So when it was $5 the PSN Store Halloween week, I got it cause its easier to play a installed game without the d@mn disk.. its under $10 and the psn store still...
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    Dead Island es un juego first person en donde eres interceptado en una isla repleta de zombies y debes sobrevivir consiguiendo armas y rescatando supervivientes. Eso es todo lo que hay que decir de "Dead Island", por otro lado la violencia extremadamente sangrienta del juego es medianamente satisfactoria y mientras avanza la historia más te vas amigando del juego, la jugabilidad es media,Dead Island es un juego first person en donde eres interceptado en una isla repleta de zombies y debes sobrevivir consiguiendo armas y rescatando supervivientes. Eso es todo lo que hay que decir de "Dead Island", por otro lado la violencia extremadamente sangrienta del juego es medianamente satisfactoria y mientras avanza la historia más te vas amigando del juego, la jugabilidad es media, pero un punto sumamente criticable es la pelea final que es completamente imposible y el final no es la gran cosa. Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    I had hope for this game because we need a combination of RPG,Zombies,Open World, And Dead rising 1st person, and thats exactly what we got, well except for All the bugs and boring zombie- graphic related problems. I got this game on the X-mas of 2011.And today August 30th I have 108Hrs On this game. This game is something that you dont see to often these days with fun gameplay, spectcularI had hope for this game because we need a combination of RPG,Zombies,Open World, And Dead rising 1st person, and thats exactly what we got, well except for All the bugs and boring zombie- graphic related problems. I got this game on the X-mas of 2011.And today August 30th I have 108Hrs On this game. This game is something that you dont see to often these days with fun gameplay, spectcular co-op and 1 great DLC called Bloodbath Arena.(sorry ryder white). Most of the missions are fun except for the overwhelming amount of fetch quests and the forgetable story. you can use almost anything as a weapon from A pan to a cleaver and it goes really well with the RPG elements in the game. The blueprints are cool too like fire axes that are really on fire and poisin bombs, it makes you feel nice and warm and fuzzy inside slicing heads with a electric sword too. One thing about this game is that its reminds you of Dead rising 2 in peticular with open world and a leveling system and upgrades and weapon combos but thats not a bad thing. The upgrades in dead island is what ties the whole game together with some really cool upgrades. Overall this is dead rising 2 but 1st person and its bigger and more bugs.ect Expand
  19. Aug 23, 2013
    I'll give you this, the atmosphere was well done, the graphics were great. But that's all I can say was good. The gameplay was tedious and repetitive, it glitches and had bugs all over the damn thing. The facial expressions were so bland and ineffective. The mission structures were just half-assed at best. Maybe if I played it stoned, it'd be great.
  20. Aug 18, 2013
    Thrusts you into the game quickly, but executes it with in a clean and concise manner. The game nicely utilizes the setting nicely, and does not implement loud and gaudy music into its score. Very fast, very immersive, very cool.
    Well played....
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    Dead Island is a pile of wasted potential. The games lack of a decent narrative is forgivable, even after the brilliant trailer that was looking to promise a brilliant story in the game, but it's still a minor annoyance. My first few hours with the game were fine, but then I realised that the game was only going to consist of scavenging quests and other things of the like, and it gotDead Island is a pile of wasted potential. The games lack of a decent narrative is forgivable, even after the brilliant trailer that was looking to promise a brilliant story in the game, but it's still a minor annoyance. My first few hours with the game were fine, but then I realised that the game was only going to consist of scavenging quests and other things of the like, and it got really damn tedious, and the lack of variety in the gameplay is disappointing, but it can be satisfying at times. The game looks a bit lackluster, textures up close can be really bad, but water effects and zombies look great, which I would expect from a game of this type. Environments can look nice from a distance though. Another thing that's disappointing about the game is its lack of dread and terror throughout, it's just not scary at all. Boss Battles are also very frustrating and completely lackluster. By the final hours of Dead Island it felt like a chore to get through. Dead Island misses the mark completely and is certainly not a game I would recommend. Expand
  22. May 29, 2013
    Iv'e played several zombie games in the past and this one is the weakest. The 4-player online co-op is fun, but it just feels like a L4D knock off, a bad one. The zombies A.I. is slow, stupid and almost seem to cheat a lot, the game's buggy as h**l, and the upgrade system is completely pointless 'cause your weapons are going to break all the time anyway. So, I'd recommend L4D and otherIv'e played several zombie games in the past and this one is the weakest. The 4-player online co-op is fun, but it just feels like a L4D knock off, a bad one. The zombies A.I. is slow, stupid and almost seem to cheat a lot, the game's buggy as h**l, and the upgrade system is completely pointless 'cause your weapons are going to break all the time anyway. So, I'd recommend L4D and other zombie games over this. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    This is a good game! The combat is bloody and its probobly the best zombie survival experience game out there! The only things that hold Dead Island back are inconsistent graphics and a story that completely falls apart after the first 30 minutes. However, this is still a good, bloody game that anyone looking to kill some zombies should definitely check out!
  24. Apr 25, 2013
    Combat is fun, but repetitive, lots of side missions. Nice detailed environments, but very bland characters and barely existent story. Way too many bugs that should have been fixed. Examples include getting stuck on thin air, health items like food not replenishing health, etc. Not recommended for a full price purchase.
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    I just gave this game (on PS3) a rating of 7 just a couple of weeks ago but now I take it back and just give it now a score of 3. I have been playing this on solo (never on coop becoz i don't have a net connection) for countless days and nights and now the game says my SAVED GAME DATA appears to have been corrupted when I tried to continue my game. All of my efforts on trying to get theI just gave this game (on PS3) a rating of 7 just a couple of weeks ago but now I take it back and just give it now a score of 3. I have been playing this on solo (never on coop becoz i don't have a net connection) for countless days and nights and now the game says my SAVED GAME DATA appears to have been corrupted when I tried to continue my game. All of my efforts on trying to get the rare weapons and MODs are now all gone. My character LOGAN was already on Level 42 when it happened. I'll never play this game again and will just trade the game disc to others. Expand
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a "good" game. I will say I spend about 42 hours or so to beat this game, by far the longest I've spent on a single play through in a video game. Did almost all the side-quests, but the side-quests were what kept me going; I kept trying to find new mods to upgrade my weapon. The first 20 hours were awesome, but then the game got repetitive to me. The story was so-so, but we didn'tThis is a "good" game. I will say I spend about 42 hours or so to beat this game, by far the longest I've spent on a single play through in a video game. Did almost all the side-quests, but the side-quests were what kept me going; I kept trying to find new mods to upgrade my weapon. The first 20 hours were awesome, but then the game got repetitive to me. The story was so-so, but we didn't even have time to absorb who the villain is before we have the final battle. I love long games, but this game kind of faded on me because of the lack of character buildup. Felt like a slave running into random people and doing a job for them; then goodbye. The driving was surprisingly very satisfying running into zombies; oh too bad you cant look behind you..I got the GOY edition; but is in no rush to do the ryder white campaign. Don't get me wrong I liked this game, but it was borderline "meh" after finishing it. Honestly it felt like a fps god of war zombie type game. Expand
  27. Feb 9, 2013
    I haven't finished the game but i think i can judge it for the amount ive played. Okay the game is fun and its visually quite nice but after awhile for the length that it is it can get pretty repetitive and i don't wanna feel this way when playing an rpg and probably one of my gripes with this game is that the characters are completely one dimensional none of the characters i could chooseI haven't finished the game but i think i can judge it for the amount ive played. Okay the game is fun and its visually quite nice but after awhile for the length that it is it can get pretty repetitive and i don't wanna feel this way when playing an rpg and probably one of my gripes with this game is that the characters are completely one dimensional none of the characters i could choose from seemed interesting at all. Expand
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    Overall the game is FUN. It's satisfying to bash zombies over the head with machetes, sickles, pans, really anything you can find or if you are more technical there are shotguns, grenades, rifles, etc. Not to mention that you can customize these weapons to add some shock, poison, nails, et al.

The Good: The game is plenty long with enough to do to last awhile. The world itself is

The Good:
    The game is plenty long with enough to do to last awhile. The world itself is pretty neat. It is somewhat intricate, so looking at every nook and cranny can really make it last. There are many different locales to keep the scenery fresh. A few stick out in my mind as exceedingly well made creating a chilling atmosphere. Killing zombies really never gets boring. The game almost feels like a Borderlands. In fact, the core formula is reminiscent to Borderlands. The combat is pretty fun. There are many great ideas in the game. The Bad:
    The story is mediocre at best. The quests are mostly dull fetch quests. The guns aren't as effective or useful as they should be. The characters are very stereotypical almost to a cringing state. The Ugly:
    PS3 Version: The graphics and texture popping is very bad. The framerate issues took awhile to get used to. There are many graphical issues that are this game's biggest downfalls. There are plenty of bugs as well when it comes to performing the quests. The worst game I've played to date with such technical issues.

The game has some fantastic ideas even if it wasn't executed to its remarkable potential. If you take it for what it is than for what it isn't, you'll have a great time.
  29. Jan 25, 2013
    This wasn't a bad game. But it was repetitive in the wrong way. The leveling mechanic did nothing to help and the story was meh. Good graphics and sound effects though. Liked moding melee weapons for extra damage and effects. The varying environments were good. Size was good. But mostly felt like one giant fetch quest. Melee weapons felt fragile though and ammo was scarce. In the badThis wasn't a bad game. But it was repetitive in the wrong way. The leveling mechanic did nothing to help and the story was meh. Good graphics and sound effects though. Liked moding melee weapons for extra damage and effects. The varying environments were good. Size was good. But mostly felt like one giant fetch quest. Melee weapons felt fragile though and ammo was scarce. In the bad (Resident Evil 1) way. Expand
  30. Jan 21, 2013
    It's not meant to be serious, just fun and that's what it is, open world RPG zombie killing fun. Playing the game from the perspective of all characters is great, crafting is a treat and dispatching an angry zombie in any one of hundreds of different ways is awesome, or you can just drive around mowing them down in your truck. The graphics are well done and polished, kind of like far cry 3It's not meant to be serious, just fun and that's what it is, open world RPG zombie killing fun. Playing the game from the perspective of all characters is great, crafting is a treat and dispatching an angry zombie in any one of hundreds of different ways is awesome, or you can just drive around mowing them down in your truck. The graphics are well done and polished, kind of like far cry 3 with zombies, and don't tell me that the voice acting sucks, has anyone actually played far cry 3 and listened to the acting, "it's awful ay bro" but the game still rates very highly so don't take the bad acting seriously and you'll be fine because its meant to be that way to give you a laugh in between mashing zombie heads with a broken paddle. Expand
  31. Dec 31, 2012
    Overall, Dead Island is a fun, first person zombie action game that is compelling enough to keep you coming back, yet frustrating enough to make you walk away in the first place. The setting, story, and quest lines are interesting, and the zombie carnage is an awful lot of fun. Yet, this game's flaws are glaring. A cumbersome save system bogs things down and your zombie enemies re-spawnOverall, Dead Island is a fun, first person zombie action game that is compelling enough to keep you coming back, yet frustrating enough to make you walk away in the first place. The setting, story, and quest lines are interesting, and the zombie carnage is an awful lot of fun. Yet, this game's flaws are glaring. A cumbersome save system bogs things down and your zombie enemies re-spawn at an infuriating rate (honestly, game producers, it really sucks to clear an area, enter a building, the exit only to find all the zombies are back!). Expand
  32. Nov 22, 2012
    A First Person Openworld Zombie game with RPG elements seemed like the holy grail for me as soon as i heard about Dead Island. Sadly, for ME Dead Island just didn't deliver the hype. While the graphics looked good to say at least, in a game like this, storytelling and character development means much for me but i just couldn't care for the story or characters, cause this all felt flat.A First Person Openworld Zombie game with RPG elements seemed like the holy grail for me as soon as i heard about Dead Island. Sadly, for ME Dead Island just didn't deliver the hype. While the graphics looked good to say at least, in a game like this, storytelling and character development means much for me but i just couldn't care for the story or characters, cause this all felt flat. Then you have gameplay, which usually makes up other flaws. Again, this unfortunately didn't deliver it for me either. While the gameplay and combat was fun for 30 minutes, it just felt too clumsy and kind of sluggish to keep me entertained long enough. Don't let this review keep you away from the game though, cause just because it's a flawed game doesn't mean that nobody will enjoy it. If you love zombie and/or hack and slash games with RPG elements and if you're able to look past good story and character development, then Dead Island might be the game for you! For ME personally, Dead Island is a flawed game that misses a lot of potential and a game that isn't for everyone. Based on how i felt, i would give Dead Island a 6/10. Expand
  33. Nov 20, 2012
    Glitchy as **** And it's a shame because there's so much potential-- the voice acting is great, rendering is great, mechanics seem great, but for me at least, when playing it on my ps3 that doesn't have problems usually with games, it kept on lagging on me. And I wasn't even playing online. What **** game lags like that? Was the rendering too intense for the system? It didn't seem that wayGlitchy as **** And it's a shame because there's so much potential-- the voice acting is great, rendering is great, mechanics seem great, but for me at least, when playing it on my ps3 that doesn't have problems usually with games, it kept on lagging on me. And I wasn't even playing online. What **** game lags like that? Was the rendering too intense for the system? It didn't seem that way to me because I played Uncharted 2 and 3 on the same console and there wasn't a glitch the whole time, and both of those games have more intensive graphics and lighting than dead island. But if there was a rendering issue then why the **** wouldn't the developers address this? Who **** cares how beautiful a game is when it seems like the frame rate can't catch up to itself? Huh? If the system can't handle it, dull it down a little until things run smoothly and guess what no one cares if it doesn't look like real life. Know why? Because it already doesn't. Aside from that, there wasn't much about this game that really added to the zombie genre that other games haven't done already. Expand
  34. Nov 2, 2012
    First Person action game, rol-playing kind, absolutely full zombie experience.

Best zombie game I have ever played, bloody, survival horror.

Very good atmosphere, great self made weapons, you can even drive cars,.... big number of things to do helping people against non-dead.

Extensive map, sandbox stile

Excellent lighting and graphics, involving sound
  35. Oct 31, 2012
    Gaminghoff, Dead Island
    Gaminghoff, Dead Island
    Deepsilver's latest game 'Dead Island' has its flaws, but these flaws are outweighed by this epic zombie survival thriller. On a tropical island near Papua new guinea the dead roam the blood ridden shores, the empty echoing streets and in the hollow jungle. You must craft weapons as you journey throughout the zombie ridden areas that are also sprawling with loot and most importantly.... Zombies. As you make your way through the games many quests you will find all sorts of usefull things to aid in your journey, mods, weapons, med kits... I don't see how anyone could dislike this game, sure, it has it's flaws but look at the big picture... This is a zombie thriller like no other and a normal person could spend up to 30 hours, just hacking zombies limbs off and hunting for those special ' legendary weapons'. The game, as i said before has its flaws, as well as zombies, glitches are also abundant, it lacks the polish that could of made this great game, and awesome game! Overall I give it a 8 and praise it for the rich dark environments and lustfull loot, but dislike the lack of polish.
  36. Oct 26, 2012
    Really solid game with a lot of melee action. The plot is laughable at best but killing zombies is always fun. Creating and upgrading weapons to use on the zombie infestation is excellent. The graphics are really good, minus the slow rendering in cut scenes and loading maps. A must buy for people who love zombie games.
  37. Oct 8, 2012
    I remember watching the trailer for this game and thinking that it was the zombie game we were all hoping for. When i first got the game it turned out very different then what i thought it was going to be. I was hoping for a thrilling game which made you feel like you were actually surviving in an island overrun by zombies. Instead we got another hack and slash zombie game with noI remember watching the trailer for this game and thinking that it was the zombie game we were all hoping for. When i first got the game it turned out very different then what i thought it was going to be. I was hoping for a thrilling game which made you feel like you were actually surviving in an island overrun by zombies. Instead we got another hack and slash zombie game with no storyline and characters that are completely hollowed out and have no sense of depth. However I do recommend this game if you're a gamer who just likes to kill things and doesn't get tired of doing the same boring side quests over and over again. I'm not saying it's a bad game it's just that it could of been so much better if they had focused a bit more on the effects that it would have had on the characters trying to survive through this zombie infestation. Expand
  38. Oct 3, 2012
    This game left me playing for hours; the game is so very funny and smart with the customizes your own weapon, and when the game is finished you just replay and get better!
    The multiplayer system is made so very good that you can play with anybody and still feel happy about it!
  39. Sep 26, 2012
    Good game. Cool new game design and gameplay.
  40. Sep 20, 2012
    this is an awesome game if you like zombies. the only downside is that theres no BIG groups of zombies, the max ive seen together is about 6 zombies in a group but other than that it's a very well done game.
  41. Sep 18, 2012
    Let's say it already: The trailer for this game is actually better than the game itself. But it's still not that bad. This game is as fun as it is frustrating. If you do not play it long enough, most chances are that you will hate it, because it is hard and the controls are gameplay are sketchy. Killing a single zombie can be a tedious experience at first. There are definitely influencesLet's say it already: The trailer for this game is actually better than the game itself. But it's still not that bad. This game is as fun as it is frustrating. If you do not play it long enough, most chances are that you will hate it, because it is hard and the controls are gameplay are sketchy. Killing a single zombie can be a tedious experience at first. There are definitely influences of other games in Dead Island: Fallout 3, Borderlands and Left 4 Dead to name the most obvious. I'd say it is pretty much like Borderlands with zombies, but that wouldn't make justice to both games. Dead Island sure tries a lot of stuff, but you will sometimes feel like it is a fake sandbox game. Something is lacking in this game to make it great. You will stop counting the times you have tried to go somewhere and the games tells you that you're out of the play zone. This game is glitchy. There are a lot of clipping issues, physics are not quite right ( try kicking a beach ball ) and the zombies do not behave normally. By that I mean that they will sometimes refuse to go somewhere, simply because they were not designed by the game creators to go there. This game is mostly a hack & slash. You will get firearms, but the amount of ammo is ridiculously low, especially if you consider the fact that you can hold an almost infinite number of items in your inventory ( example, 30 medkits ) when compared to the 50-ish number of bullets you can carry. The sounds that zombies make are repetitive, and the NPCs will also repeat themselves over and over again as you walk nearby. There is a great lack of depth in this department. The main quests are fun and diversified. The side quests are the complete opposite, and will often involve the same thing: bring item(s) to NPC. The whole scenario of the main quest is somewhat ridiculous and very basic, if not a pale copy of b-movies. The playable characters lack personality. The men especially are very generic and unoriginal. They have put a lot of effort in the customization of weapons. I wish they could've tried harder and gave us the possibility to create and modifiy our own fortifications. There aren't a lot of vehicles in Dead Island, but driving them is fun. I'd compare the handling of the trucks to Battlefield games. There's also an aspect that lacks in Dead Island, it's the whole survival thing. In Zombie movies/games, survival is always an important part of the atmosphere. In Dead Island, the amount of snack bars and soda cans is infinite, and you will often wonder why NPCs need food so much, since it's all over the place. It would have been more fun to find food and make stashes of it to feed yourself and other people. There's another issue in Dead Island, it's the fact that you will kill a zombie, leave the area for 1 minute, come back, and another zombie will be there. The corpses of killed zombies disappear as soon as you turned around and walked a few meters away from it. It removes realism to the game, and it's the realism of zombie games that make them scary... So Dead Island will be scary for the first 15 minutes, but as you get used to it, you will know where the zombies will come from, and what to expect at every corner. This game crashes frequently, and those involved with patching the game do not seem to care. The graphics are actually kinda good, but aren't the best either. The music is not very good. The game still tried to do something different, and online play is still fun despite the crash rates. Expand
  42. Sep 9, 2012
    This game started great with awesome trailer, but the best waited for gamers after the release. It's a great adventure full of exploring, killing zombies and trying to survive. Solo or with friends you'll find hundreds of hours of fun and all of this for a great price. Now, after Techland announced that the chars from this game can get exported to the new one - Riptide, there is noThis game started great with awesome trailer, but the best waited for gamers after the release. It's a great adventure full of exploring, killing zombies and trying to survive. Solo or with friends you'll find hundreds of hours of fun and all of this for a great price. Now, after Techland announced that the chars from this game can get exported to the new one - Riptide, there is no excuse, but buy Dead Island and have fun. Expand
  43. Sep 1, 2012
    I rarely write reviews on here but felt like I had to this time, because it really bugs me how this game had a Game of The Year edition released, making me finally buy it due to some interest in the title. People seemed pretty fond of it and there's the new Riptide coming. But when I finally started the game all I saw was constant framedrops and poor controls. The sound fades out almostI rarely write reviews on here but felt like I had to this time, because it really bugs me how this game had a Game of The Year edition released, making me finally buy it due to some interest in the title. People seemed pretty fond of it and there's the new Riptide coming. But when I finally started the game all I saw was constant framedrops and poor controls. The sound fades out almost every time I encounter new zombies or do something. I'm sure this can be pretty fun and intriguing on a Pc with decent hardware but a console release with a GOTY labeled on it should not play like something that was ported without any polish or patches. The game can't even be installed on the HDD so loadtimes are also long and plenty.

I must say that I regret buying this game and that is because the execution makes it a pain to even give it a chance to prove itself. I'm just thrown into the game world, told to follow some linear route (as Ryder) and all the above mentioned bugs come straight at me. No tutorial told me what to do, either, so I had to die a couple of times before figuring out tactics on my own too.

I have to say that this is so far a very big disappointment because the game is almost unplayable on the PS3, on which it should have been optimized to run since the hardware is unchangable opposite the options of my Pc. Game of The Year apparently means something else than I thought it did :(
  44. Aug 21, 2012
    Quantity over quality sums up this game pretty nicely. Lots of identikit side missions to prolong the game unnecessarily. One thing that really made me laugh was that in order to stop church bells ringing you had to kill a single thug zombie and press a button. WTF??? I mean what church bells in any authentic church could be stopped ringing by a button? The fact is they couldn't beQuantity over quality sums up this game pretty nicely. Lots of identikit side missions to prolong the game unnecessarily. One thing that really made me laugh was that in order to stop church bells ringing you had to kill a single thug zombie and press a button. WTF??? I mean what church bells in any authentic church could be stopped ringing by a button? The fact is they couldn't be bothered to animate a group of regular lower level zombies bouncing up and down on pull ropes. Which let's face it would have been a million times more fun to attack and see in the game.

This is just one of many glaring omissions of thought process when designing a level mini boss section. If they just pushed themselves a little harder in the direction of quality this game could have been so much better. It could have also used some protagonists which the player could relate to in some way, however what we got was several unlikable characters with even more unlikable back stories which sounded like they were written by idiots for an American teenager audience. Is that audience even still there?.

As an adult gamer of at least 25 years, it sickens me that this sort of crap still flies when it comes to one of my favourite forms of entertainment. When a game is done right it can be one of the most immersive engrossing experiences on the planet. This however seems like a very cheap cash in on the zombie game market. I can only suggest Resident Evil 4 as a much better executed alternative.
  45. Aug 15, 2012
    Not bad, not great. Dead Island reminds me a lot of Borderlands but with Zombies. Basicly after a night of heavy drinking you wake up and find that the island you are on vacation on has turned into Zombieland. Now you are left to do other peoples jobs that they are too scared to do in return of safe passage off the island. whilst the environments are boring and samey and so is gameplay itNot bad, not great. Dead Island reminds me a lot of Borderlands but with Zombies. Basicly after a night of heavy drinking you wake up and find that the island you are on vacation on has turned into Zombieland. Now you are left to do other peoples jobs that they are too scared to do in return of safe passage off the island. whilst the environments are boring and samey and so is gameplay it doesn't ever get boring. Looks pretty bad and plays pretty bad at times but its a one in a million kind of game that has a few surface problems. Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2012
    This game had so much potential but very poorly made. The interesting part of the game was the perks, skill points, and story-line. However the cons of this game just overrides the pros by a lot - 1) Pointless in using Rare+ because you'll have to repair it after a couple hits 2) Cant use your money because you'll have to spend most of your money in repairing your Rare+ weapons, its hardThis game had so much potential but very poorly made. The interesting part of the game was the perks, skill points, and story-line. However the cons of this game just overrides the pros by a lot - 1) Pointless in using Rare+ because you'll have to repair it after a couple hits 2) Cant use your money because you'll have to spend most of your money in repairing your Rare+ weapons, its hard to just let it be destroyed especially when you spend so much money in upgrading them. 3) Repetitive gameplay "kill zombies, repair, kill some more, and repair" There's just so much flaws in this game that I havent yet mentioned; Overall this game is not worth buying it nor renting. Expand
  47. Jul 18, 2012
    One of the worst features of this game is that if you die you immediately respawn without any penalty. You don't have to restart your current quest or reload from a save point. No matter how worse you play, you go on. Is like god mode in older fps. It's disappointing and lowers the interest in the game quickly. To worsen things the characters and the plot are annoying.
    I don't give a zero
    I don't give a zero only because the first act is quite playable, but the rest of the game is pointless.
  48. Jun 30, 2012
    I think after seeing that amazing trailer for this game a ways back peoples expectations were high, sadly that mood of the trailer doesnt really follow into the game but it isnt a bad thing. The game can be played co-op with 4 people and this is recommend for some serious fun. The game has maps that are pretty big in size and only load when going from one map to another, anywhere from theI think after seeing that amazing trailer for this game a ways back peoples expectations were high, sadly that mood of the trailer doesnt really follow into the game but it isnt a bad thing. The game can be played co-op with 4 people and this is recommend for some serious fun. The game has maps that are pretty big in size and only load when going from one map to another, anywhere from the tropical shores to a ruined ghetto city to a thick jungle. The cut scenes are awkward and kinda find yourself holding your hand over mouth from laugh cause some scenes are just silly and glitchy looking. The graphics in game are pretty good the gore from punching zombies in the head with a metal pipe never gets old. The game starts off slow, but give it a chance and youll be having a ton of fun and not wanting to put down the controller Expand
  49. Jun 27, 2012
    This game is a near perfect example of poor execution. The story (if it can be called that) is paper thin, the characters are 1-dimensional, and the voice acting is terrible. The graphics are nice, despite some of the worst pop-ins I've ever seen. Gameplay is mediocre, and probably should have just been 3rd person is the weapons are going to be mostly melee. The only redeeming factor isThis game is a near perfect example of poor execution. The story (if it can be called that) is paper thin, the characters are 1-dimensional, and the voice acting is terrible. The graphics are nice, despite some of the worst pop-ins I've ever seen. Gameplay is mediocre, and probably should have just been 3rd person is the weapons are going to be mostly melee. The only redeeming factor is the satisfaction of killing zombies, but you can get that same enjoyment out of much better games. Expand
  50. Jun 10, 2012
    Dead Island is a bad and disappointing game.
    Dead Island is a bad and disappointing game.
    When I first saw the game trailer, I was very excited (as everybody who saw it). I played it very time after the release, and I tried not to watch videos or get spoilers about the game as a whole. At the point I was about to play the game, I was very hyped and ancious. When I put the game in, I faced a bad menu and interface. So far, not so bad. The game begins. Beautiful graphics blew me out of the water. But, as the story was going, some huge let down appeared, such as bad voice acting and repetitive gameplay. It was such a bad experience to me that I didn't even finished the game. I quit playing it relatively close to the beginning and I had no motivation to go on.
    Dead Island is not a good game. The heavenly island may be fun to explore and it's kind of fun smashing zombies heads and limbs, but it's just not enough.
  51. Jun 3, 2012
    it good game finished it with in week but i found it buggy but the something else that bothers me is the no more update for it to fix those bug also i want more add on game for it
  52. May 29, 2012
    Dead Island is a game that many people were waiting. The game set on a dark island with a first-person perspective. What immediately strikes the eye is a pervasive atmosphere that was created with great consequence, because the danger lurks everywhere. While the graphic is average at best, a combat system with zombies is incredibly exciting, adrenaline and giving us an unforgettableDead Island is a game that many people were waiting. The game set on a dark island with a first-person perspective. What immediately strikes the eye is a pervasive atmosphere that was created with great consequence, because the danger lurks everywhere. While the graphic is average at best, a combat system with zombies is incredibly exciting, adrenaline and giving us an unforgettable experience. Dead Island is a solid action game with elements of horror, anyone who likes games with zombies, love her at first sight. A nice addition is the game in co-op for 4 players max Expand
  53. May 27, 2012
    Dead Island Review w/patch 1.3 (8)
    Dead Island Review w/patch 1.3 (8)
    From the very beginning of the game, when you wake up alone in your hotel room. To the horrific search and scavenge of beautiful beaches, to the sewers, to the classic large city horror at every turn......this game has a great feeling of isolation and dread during a lovely vacation on the island of banoi in papa new guinea. On banoi hacking and slashing is the name of the game. Dead islands melee combat is just as satisfyingly brutal as it is responsive and accurate. The digital fight controls are more accurate then you would think they would be but the analog controls are very precise although clunky to learn at first. Either control scheme lets you feel powerful and brutal hacking off body parts in brutal classic horror movie fashion. When taking on a thug (one of the mini bosses in the game) you need to use the limb hacking mechanic to your advantage since it only takes two hits for this thug to kill you. You'll find yourself on your toes for most of the game because no matter what level you are or where you are on the island the zombies can kill you easily. The zombies are truly haunting and very distinguishable based on the noises they make alone. Hearing the crazed battle cry of an "infected" will make you suddenly look around wildly or turn tail running for the nearest car roof. One of the mechanics used that makes this game so intense is the stamina meter. Every time you swing your weapon of choice, kick, run, or jump, it takes a certain amount of stamina. The less stamina you have, the more damage you will take if you are hit and if you run out of stamina you become a wobbly uncoordinated human just waiting to be eaten by the undead. Some of the combat mechanics are not taught to you though. This proves to be an issue of trial and error until either a friend tells you or you get lucky and figure it out. For those of you reading this review and yet to play the game. You can dodge by simply jumping and pressing any direction. At dead island's core is an rpg full of simple but entertaining quests, a robust melee weapon system, and 4 classes with unique skill trees. While there is plenty to do in dead island as far as quests go....they do get repetitive. You can only do so many fetch quests over the years before this song and dance becomes stale. This a curse all modern day rpgs share and i will discredit dead island because of it. Although it is worth mentioning. The weapon system is not traditional by any means luckily. Sure some of the core mechanics are similar to other well known rpgs....the difference is that almost all of the base weapons are basic house hold items or farm tools like kitchen knives, shovels, paddles, baseball bats, sickles and machetes just to name a few. The next step after finding a really great item (the item color grades are in the manual) is finding a mod that turns a simple weapon into a wicked zombie killing weapon of pure destruction. The first time you add nails to a classic baseball bat or to the first time you create an electrified ax or machete makes you crave the next mod. If you like the thrill of the hunt in looting for that next legendary item dead island will satisfy that craving. Also leveling up is a big part of your journey through this island of the damned. All the characters do have their own perks but you can still take a character who maybe specializes in throwing weapons and make him a melee brute/firearm expert. Since the mods are not linked to your class you can use whatever floats your boat. The only problem i have with the skill trees, which is more a preference then a problem, is there is no stat reset option. So, choose carefully which skills you want cause there is no going back.

Unfortunately, even the best zombie games are not perfect. My first concern is the sound not being surround sound. I found myself hearing an infected behind me and turning to look for the undead only to be attacked from the side or from behind. Since the zombies level up with you. A cheap shot can and will mean certain death. So, if you like to play with head phones don't expect cod like sound. Also there is the occasional graphical hiccup, frame rate drop, or pop in environment. None of those problems are new to rpgs & are certainly not game breaking. The hit detection is good but sometimes on the digital fight setting you find yourself swinging at the air even though the zombies are in your face. The biggest problem i have with the game is loosing rare items from them being thrown. It's one thing to throw your 4,000 dollar modded weapon into an enemy and get killed before you can retrieve it. It's another problem when you throw a rare and expensive item and it disappears into thin air without a trace. When i say that dead island is the best zombie game i have ever played. I very much mean it. It's not perfect but i, nor you, should expect that from any game.
  54. May 23, 2012
    This game may be a little rough around the edges, and the characters are completely 2D, but it is an enormous amount of fun to play. The manual melee system is intriguing, and although it didn't work for me, swinging the analog sticks like weapons is a cool idea. I played this game post-patch, and really there hardly any bugs or glitches left. The plot is predictable and theThis game may be a little rough around the edges, and the characters are completely 2D, but it is an enormous amount of fun to play. The manual melee system is intriguing, and although it didn't work for me, swinging the analog sticks like weapons is a cool idea. I played this game post-patch, and really there hardly any bugs or glitches left. The plot is predictable and the voice-acting laughable, and yet I couldn't stop playing. The action is non-top and frenetic and the controls generally fair very well. The drop-in multiplayer coop is a blast and levelling up unlocks awesome abilities unique to each playable character. The weapon generation feels a lot like Borderlands, but that is no bad thing and it is a rush to find a high level chest with a chance of finding one of the rare weapons inside. Overall, ignore the haters and play away, this game has hours of zombie-mashing mayhem crammed into it. Expand
  55. May 9, 2012
    Incredibly bad game; Poor driving, poor combat and poor quests. It's basically a **** version of Borderlands. Don't buy! It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
  56. Apr 17, 2012
    Dead Island is a unique game. Not in such a way that you have never seen or experienced anything like it, because well, there really isn't an original bone in its metaphorical body. In Dead Island's case unique says a little more about its playability than its complete experience. See, the game is flawed, very flawed, extremely flawed, yet I could not put it down, and would play it again.Dead Island is a unique game. Not in such a way that you have never seen or experienced anything like it, because well, there really isn't an original bone in its metaphorical body. In Dead Island's case unique says a little more about its playability than its complete experience. See, the game is flawed, very flawed, extremely flawed, yet I could not put it down, and would play it again. Let us go back in time, to a time where the dead had not taken over the island of Banoi, but were merely threatening to, to the time of a certain promising looking trailer. What has not been said about the contrast of Dead Island the trailer and Dead Island the game? Not much I would say, so I will be brief. By now you most likely know the game has little to do with the emotion captured in that deceptive three minutes of footage that reviled to us a family (literally) torn apart in what was only moments all while on a nice warm vacation. Gamers cheered and anticipated the bloodied drama we were about to have unleashed upon us, but oh no, it was not meant to be. Instead we have a game that delivers the blood yes, and lots of it, but not an ounce of drama, well it tries, but doesn't succeed. Dead Island came to be a game more about action and sticking it to the infected more so than fearing them or a heart ache chaser in that gin 'n' survival horror tonic. Bottom line, the game in the trailer does not exist, but a game called Dead Island does. Now, the review. The game is fun, yes, very fun and addictive at that. It took me forever to get to playing it simply because I was disappointing by the way it turned out but after enough price dropping I picked it up and am glad I did. Now, the closest thing I can compare this to is Fallout 3, but do not let that fool you, I don't want my words ending up like the trailer. By comparing this to Fallout I only mean in its general delivery, picked up items, storing them, selling them, traveling and speaking to the community only to be sent miles away across dangerous terrain to fetch something which may or may not have any importance to you. Typical yes, but what did I say before? the F word, fun, and that's what it always is. It is unlike Fallout though in its depth, attention to detail and development and of course the fact that in Fallout you can often care about someone. In this game people are just there to be there, pieces of meat with limited character. You cannot speak back to them except when excepting or declining a quest which your characters musters out an "uh huh" or "cant do it." This is not a game for those wanting a deep and rich role playing journey. It is a game for people wanting to spend hours bashing in zombies brains and watching them bleed, and that you will get in spades. Dead Island gets a lot right in its limited gameplay. Zombies check, tension check, violence check, fun factor check. atmosphere check it but not in ink. Atmospherically the game has you convinced everyone is in trouble, and you will feel the need to press on surviving but at no real cost, and with no true emotions on the line. Graphically, aside from issues such as slow loading textures ect. its great, especially the island itself. The trees, water, fog, sounds of animals that you never get to see are all great and honestly have more life than half the NPC's. The story, well there really isnt one, there is a loose plot yet its really a graveyard of plot holes, and the flow and pace is the equivalent of thumbing through a spiral notebook of video game ideas and blue prints. But if your analyzing this game then your playing it wrong. Its an RPG and a good one even, you level up, upgrade, mod, side quest and co-op your way through a decent sized world of tropical zombie goodness. The gameplay though showing its disappointments here and there often is usually interesting and makes up for the flimsy story. You will choose one of four characters and then be thrown head first into the apocalypse. And though you seem to be traveling alone, you really aren't, the characters you didn't choose will be by you in most cutscenes, which kills the single player illusion but is easily forgiven in this game. Which brings me full circle to the beginning of this review, it is unique. Amongst the flaws, issues, and sheer lack of inspiration, the game is worth your time. Depending on your preference this game can be worth nearly any price you will find it for, though I recommend maybe $40 and less for the average gamer. Never before have I played a game so drastically different than what was expected and then so flawed on top of that yet didn't mind so much once I got into it. I like Dead Island, honestly. I never hated it, not once. If your doubtful I say just try it, don't think too hard, find your favorite weapon to silence the undead with, and become a mother loving hero on Banoi Island. For zombie lovers its pretty much a must, for the rest of you, this may make zombie lovers out of you. Expand
  57. Apr 14, 2012
    Long-time zombie fan, but absolutely HATE the rinse and repeat portion of the "mission system". it's still heavily MOTS but fun... "ish".

The mission system is pretty odd, doing 'favors' for various people, but it is functional. The most annoying part of the missions is the phantom zombie generator... It would have been way cooler to have "x" many zombies in any given area and then once you cleared them out then that's that, maybe a few stragglers every now and then but no problem, go to next map, next mission, whatever. Instead, there is a mysterious zombie generator that puts every zombie back at it's starting point on a regular basis. Easy XP, especially if you find a sweet spot to kill zombies. Also, the radar that 'helps' you find where you are supposed to go sucks because they neglect to tell you some missions are on a different map you don't have access to yet... and the "unplayable area" warnings drove me nuts, I can see where I want to go, it's 100 meters away, but I have to walk in an other than direct path, lets say 300 to 400 meters, to get there.

The XP system is a bit of an annoyance as well, keeping you down for so long then once you get enough of it you're unstoppable... regardless of how many levels are left for you to achieve.

Weapons... I liked the focus on melee,the fact that weapons wear down and break, requiring maintenance but didn't think they needed to almost outlaw firearms. Also, the use of money to do this... why do I need money? Once I achieved enough XP and "recipe's" to make my own ammo, firearms were almost all I used (and explosives) and the game became funner. The weapon modification system I found to be ridiculous... a greater variety of weapons and weapon-types would have been better than electrifying a machete... what about a crossbow?

Multiplayer: it's fun enough for sure, co-operative gameplay always being superior in my eyes to any other method of multi-play. The best part is being a passenger in a vehicle and firing your weapon while someone else drove. Awesome.

I would place this above Left for Dead (any version) simply because I hated the random hordes of zombies that came flying at you in that game... that never made sense to me.

Dead Island lacks a true "open world" playability, it is more like Grand Theft Auto, where Rockstar makes you 'think' it's an open world but not really,.. once a mission starts it's all changed.

All in all, it's a LOT of "more of the same", yet captivating enough to keep you plugging away until you realize you've invested too much time to quit :P
  58. Apr 9, 2012
    Dead Island is an awesome game! It combines the first shooter, with a hoard of zombies on an Island were you basically do tasks for survivors. But the most interesting and funnest part of the game is playing it online with a bunch of your friends! It has a lot of glitches though. One of my biggest complaints on the glitches of this game is when your driving the vehicles. I was alwaysDead Island is an awesome game! It combines the first shooter, with a hoard of zombies on an Island were you basically do tasks for survivors. But the most interesting and funnest part of the game is playing it online with a bunch of your friends! It has a lot of glitches though. One of my biggest complaints on the glitches of this game is when your driving the vehicles. I was always getting stuck, near other objects that were far away:/ Leaving me to have to restart the game or walk back, resulting in me getting kilt. Expand
  59. Apr 7, 2012
    Nothing is a as haunting as sleeping at night knowing you shelled out $60 for a game that has as much crap as a manure factory. I loved the very idea of a Borderlands type action-rpg leveling system zombie horror survival game with a main emphasis on melee style combat, in fact just hearing the very idea the first was like sex to the ears. But just like sex it can end up in a bigNothing is a as haunting as sleeping at night knowing you shelled out $60 for a game that has as much crap as a manure factory. I loved the very idea of a Borderlands type action-rpg leveling system zombie horror survival game with a main emphasis on melee style combat, in fact just hearing the very idea the first was like sex to the ears. But just like sex it can end up in a big disappointing night. When I bought the game I traditionally started off by playing single-player going through picking up the gist on to come to points where the difficult level had swerved off into throw-controllers-at pet-cats-while-being-sodomized-by-Satan-difficultly or T.C.A.P.C.W.B.S.B.S.D. for short. I thought "Oh I bet this I where have teammates would help", wrong! Online is actually alright with friends until the end up being Jew-hogs(Jew-hog[s] Adjective: Being the person to horde all the good resources/weapons/loot in an online game) leaving the whole session into a bunch of whining babies. And the worst is online when it ends up being a competition on who can screw over the entire group by running a head leaving the rest to fight T.C.A.P.C.W.B.S.B.S.D. level enemies. Not to mention the fact its a melee weapon game means that we shouldn't have to be putting up with weapon conditions. I mean really when I'm having to defend myself with a crappy broom handle with tetanus ridden nails against a pack of anus hungry zombies i should only have to focus on not dying, not what even **** broom handle am I going to have to defend my self with when this one falls apart in my hands. Over all Deep Silver taught us awesome games trailers don't always necessarily mean awesome game. Expand
  60. Mar 16, 2012
    I REALLY wanted to love this game. And, at first, I did. But it got old fast. The combat is just SO repetitive, even with the upgradable and customizable weapons. Once you've been playing for an hour and a half you've basically seen 95% of what there is to see in regards to combat. Also, the story and cut scenes are... weak, to put it nicely. I was pretty much over Dead IslandI REALLY wanted to love this game. And, at first, I did. But it got old fast. The combat is just SO repetitive, even with the upgradable and customizable weapons. Once you've been playing for an hour and a half you've basically seen 95% of what there is to see in regards to combat. Also, the story and cut scenes are... weak, to put it nicely. I was pretty much over Dead Island half-way through the campaign but I forced myself to finish it. And it was a CHORE to finish, especially the last quarter of the game. Expand
  61. Mar 16, 2012
    What could have been a true zombie survival game requiring scavenging food, water, weapons, and ammo turned out to be Borderlands with clubs. The combat is well done and incredibly gory but wears thin fast. The sidequests are tedious fetch missions which have constantly traveling between point A to B locating items or collecting some other **** The crafting system is neat but it takesWhat could have been a true zombie survival game requiring scavenging food, water, weapons, and ammo turned out to be Borderlands with clubs. The combat is well done and incredibly gory but wears thin fast. The sidequests are tedious fetch missions which have constantly traveling between point A to B locating items or collecting some other **** The crafting system is neat but it takes entirely too long to find the items you need in the gameworld and trading with NPC merchants isn't an option since they never carry what you need. It's also interesting how important cash is when everyone is scrambling for their life. Who needs money when they're trying to outlast the zombie horde? Food and water anybody? The framerate on the PS3 version is iffy, especially when you get to the city portion of the game. The light RPG elements of the game involve character skills. Many are passive bonuses since your character only has one active skill (like Borderlands). Weapons are surprisingly fragile and necessitate repairs at magic workbenches that costs - you guessed it - money! Why not scavenge for raw materials or break down existing items into base components to repair weapons instead of throwing money at what is essentially a vending machine? So many missed opportunities in this game it is not even funny. Even as a co-op game, it falls short. The classes have different active skills, but because the enemy types are so few and far between, none of this matters. There's no sense of interdependency between the characters. Skills do not feel like the complement one another. There is no challenge here whatsoever, no reason to keep trudging through, and no reason to care about any of the people you meet. Avoid this game. Expand
  62. Mar 13, 2012
    Tragically buggy. I wanted to love this game, but found that I only liked it a bit. At it's best, it is a wicked co-op romp through zombie infested city streets, where you are being chased down into an alley that you have never been down, only to find a dead end or worse! At it's worst, it's a frame rate stuttering, freeze-prone, co-op adventure with sometimes repetitive fetch questsTragically buggy. I wanted to love this game, but found that I only liked it a bit. At it's best, it is a wicked co-op romp through zombie infested city streets, where you are being chased down into an alley that you have never been down, only to find a dead end or worse! At it's worst, it's a frame rate stuttering, freeze-prone, co-op adventure with sometimes repetitive fetch quests and a fairly un-relenting checkpoint system at times. There are a lot of high moments in the game, but most are marred by technical issues and some design choices that really feel worn out by the time you reach the games conclusion. I actually say this game is definitely worth a rent for some fun crazy moments with friends, but unless you are a zombie fiend, I would caution against sinking a lot of time into this lengthy title. Expand
  63. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Island is 2011's most dissapointing game (IMO). Where's the fun?? I played for a week and sold it to a friend....its just terrible. weapons break too quickly, zombies are all the terminator and wont die, and the characters are unispiring and you'll have no connection to them. Glitches are common and the "DLC" isn't worth your money. If you like this game good for you, but i dont see how you could! This game doesnt do much to keep the zombie love in our culture alive very well. I do like the drop in co-op, until you find yourself horrible underleveled. For your sake, just rent this game at the most. Expand
  64. Mar 7, 2012
    This is a review after the latest patch came out (1.04 version I believe). I never played the game before the new patch came out so I don't know about all the glitches that they had before the patch came out. Graphics/Audio: The game graphics are very very poor, I believe its on par with PS2 graphics. With many of the characters lacking in details and it still takes a few minutes for eachThis is a review after the latest patch came out (1.04 version I believe). I never played the game before the new patch came out so I don't know about all the glitches that they had before the patch came out. Graphics/Audio: The game graphics are very very poor, I believe its on par with PS2 graphics. With many of the characters lacking in details and it still takes a few minutes for each character to load their details properly. I guess that's what you call frame rate issues. The enviornment and character are very ugly and lazy. The sound is decent. The roars of zombies are terrifying but the voice acting is pretty bad. It's not the worst voice acting I heard but it's still pretty bad. The way the character speaks doesn't match the facial expression of the characters. Some of them the lip synch is off. Some cutscenes are ment to be emotional but it just falls flat. Gameplay/Controls: You get to control 4 different characters with a higher stat in one ability (which I don't think it makes a difference). The game is extremely repetitive. Yes this is a zombie game and of course you would be killing zombies but the way you kill the zombies are repetitive. It is fun for about the first ten or so zombies to kill but than you realized this is basically the way you're going to have to kill all zombies this way for the rest of the game. You have to get a blunt object (shovel, stick, hammer etc.) and swing and the zombies for about 75% of the story line. You only get a little amount of guns very late in the levels and they are not as effective as blunt objects. You can upgrade the guns and blunt object but the guns upgrades don't show that much of an improvement. The blunt objects are however more effective with upgrades. The game is basically getting from point A to B from different character missions and there is about maybe 5-6 different type of missions that you will be doing through out the whole game. I guess this game is a little more fun with more players because you and your friends can screw around and handle enemies more easily I would say. But for a single player campaign it's not worth it. The camera angle is first person view and its annoying since you have swing a zombie at first person view, it would have made more sense to be a third person view or at least give us the option to switch. The map in this game is pretty big and sometimes require you to take cars to travel from place to place.

Storyline: I won't spoil the storyline for anyone who is going to play this game but be warned that it is predicitable. Even the last boss is predicitable and ridicilous from how he became the last boss. Nothing new or special about this storyline.

Enemies: There are a few types of zombies that you will face. It's enough I would say for a regular zombie game but would have like to seem some more. Also some of the more bigger type of enemies (brutes) are very annoying because you can't knock them down easily and one hit from them you go flying backwards.

Overall: The controls are awkard. The graphics and visuals just a failure or a lot of levels. Sometimes the difficulty of the enemies are annoying. I believe you should just save your money and put into a different game. I would not recommend anyone this game.
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    I went full throttle to buy the game after the awesome trailer. I was STUPID.
    I went full throttle to buy the game after the awesome trailer. I was STUPID.
    This may be the worst game I have played in the past 3 years. It completely lacks story, background and any narrative whatsoever. It is as bad as it gets: No customization for characters, outdated graphics, poor combat system, no idea what is happening at any time. I head everywhere it was Fallout 3 with Zombies and was very excited about it. I WAS WAY OFF, how dare make such a comparison. If you can, stay away from it. It is not even worth the rental money. I would rather go on a second playthrough of any other game rather than try this awful game again. Moral of the story, Trailers are VERY deceiving.
  66. Mar 3, 2012
    this is a really fun game its borderlands mixed in with bioshock with zombies put in its overall really fun the graphics are meh but the game has been in progress for like 5 year time span the fighting is awkward but it actually was done on purpose to show the desperity of a zombie apocalypse it has a good leveling up system the story isnt amazing but most people get it to kill zombiesthis is a really fun game its borderlands mixed in with bioshock with zombies put in its overall really fun the graphics are meh but the game has been in progress for like 5 year time span the fighting is awkward but it actually was done on purpose to show the desperity of a zombie apocalypse it has a good leveling up system the story isnt amazing but most people get it to kill zombies really fun get it Expand
  67. Mar 1, 2012
    i really wanted this game after seeing my friend play it and i was kinda getting bored with dead rising. when i bought ths i was constantly on it as it was amazingy fun i loved getting the wepons and finding new and cool mods i was hoping to find guns earlier in the game but instead you find them about a third of the way through i guess it gives it a more realistic feel. also you spendi really wanted this game after seeing my friend play it and i was kinda getting bored with dead rising. when i bought ths i was constantly on it as it was amazingy fun i loved getting the wepons and finding new and cool mods i was hoping to find guns earlier in the game but instead you find them about a third of the way through i guess it gives it a more realistic feel. also you spend most time helping survivors. the zombies are so fun to kill and the leveling up systems works well as you can earn new skills. the zombies can jump out at any point and some just give out a spine chilling shreik before they run at you now the bad part is that once you complete the game there isn't much to do except repeat EVERYTHIN which isn't so fun as you spent all your time just doing that but you can keep your level and money and weapons also your mods but some levels like sewers which you will find out about are REALLY annoying so one thing that would make this awesome game turn insane would to hav all of the locations unlocked and one more thing they should of done is not hav too much of an annoyin boring part of the game (sewers again) in so many of the levels because it frustrates and annoys the player making them not want to go through the game after they completed it well that is what stopped me. So I reccommend this but complete and rank up as high as possibkle befor going to the final chapter because you mmight leave the game on the shelf for the rest of the time after completion. Expand
  68. Feb 16, 2012
    This game is a prime and shining example of truly poor execution. What this game is, is sad. It was a game with potential to be so much better than what it turned out to be, and it turned out the way it did in due to an utter lack of any polish. Something could easily have been done to fix this game in just about every way, and the worst part is the developers knew it, they just didn'tThis game is a prime and shining example of truly poor execution. What this game is, is sad. It was a game with potential to be so much better than what it turned out to be, and it turned out the way it did in due to an utter lack of any polish. Something could easily have been done to fix this game in just about every way, and the worst part is the developers knew it, they just didn't care. Lets start with the good. The first part of the game is spectacular, the opening is mediocre, but the environment couldn't be more outstanding. As soon as you enter onto the beach you have a feeling that it's going to be a great time, and it is, but only for a while. The combat is great fun and you really get invested in trying to make every battle as stylish as possible. There are loads of side missions and they set you up to really feel that you're surviving whence you realize just how big a part consuming food is along the journey. Everything seems great, and it almost is. Now the game is damn good from the start, but the problems were always there, they just weren't as annoying the first 100 times. After you've played the game for a few hours and it no longer feels like holding your hand, you realize just how bad the game truly is. The first part of the map is great, the rest is just horrible, but that's not the real problem. So lets get started on the negatives. The problem is pure gameplay, first off: this game is the glitchiest game I have ever played, not only is the pop in horrible, but the sheer number of bugs is enough to knock you over. You get stuck a lot, your HUD will tweek out on you constantly, the minimap is constantly navigating you in the wrong direction etc etc, There are many glitches that are so debilitating enough to keep you from progressing in the campaign. You'll have to get out and get back into the game. The absolute biggest and game ruining glitch you will run into is the technical range calibration of your weapons, for example: I'm playing as a character that seems to be 6 foot, and I'm holding a machete in hand, so that's a few feet of range right? wrong. After a brief stint of playing this game you'll come to realize something quite odd, and that is that your arm and weapons length is not realistically calibrated. You will realize that, in order to make contact with your enemy whence using a melee weapon, you will need to me at least 5 inches away from them, and this is never something you get used to. You will constantly be miss-judging distance, and you should, you know why? because you think logically, and this game is anything but. Next off, the friendly AI is moronic, slow, and incapable of ever helping themselves, the human enemy AI is the same way, the driving is horrible, stiff and boring, the graphics are just plain bad, the physics are horrible, the side missions (even though plentiful) are rehashes of each other, the story does nothing but insult your intelligence and the RPG is not in the least bit flushed out. I could go into detail about all this but I'm not, it's not worth my or your time. Just don't buy the game because it looks MUCH funner than it actually is. The more you play the more you realize that there is not a single good thing to say about it. Like I said, the beginning is deceivingly fun, the range calibration is annoying but whatever, but then you speedily spiral into an abysmal pile of garbage in more than one aspect. It's abysmal in all aspects. Expand
  69. Feb 8, 2012
    at first I was very excited about playing this game as it was something completely different in the zombie game genre. as I played it, I noticed an amazing amount of stupid SHAP that makes you just go....WHAT , THE, F?? why would a woman in a bikini have money on her, as in where the hECK would she put it, up her hoohoo?? why are there tool boxes in the restrooms? why does the game, whenat first I was very excited about playing this game as it was something completely different in the zombie game genre. as I played it, I noticed an amazing amount of stupid SHAP that makes you just go....WHAT , THE, F?? why would a woman in a bikini have money on her, as in where the hECK would she put it, up her hoohoo?? why are there tool boxes in the restrooms? why does the game, when you respawn, have those crazy as hECK "infected" zombies run at you in packs of FOUR?? why are there quests like the one where a woman needs water, and she constantly needs it, I gave her 5 bottles of water, by the time I was done she could have taken a FRAKKIN BATH with the amount I gave her, and then there's the dude that wants food. these are what they called "continuous quests"...wow. who is the genius that used "energy drinks" for health in this game? how many times can i go up to luggage in the game, go off to another area of the island, go back to that same exact area and stuff is back in them again??? how bad is the collision detection that zombies swinging next to each other aren't hitting the other zombie??? and those DANG annoying "thugs" zombies...oh SNAP man, don't even get me started. buggy as all crud, choppy, the facial animations are from 10 years ago, and how many times do I need to hear the F word when people are talking to me? one character said it more than half a dozen times....IN ONE SENTENCE!!! well, maybe not but she said it 5 times, okay. I'm not even going to waste my time trying to beat this game, I did a **** of time in this piece of **** excuse for a ZOMBIE game and I'm not gonna bother with it anymore. I'm tired of cussing, and I have....alot...RENTAL ONLY PEOPLE, SERIOUSLY!!! Expand
  70. Jan 24, 2012
    I`v just popped 40 hours but iv stopped playing the game after the game got the save file error that would keep you from loading your game. Techland took their sweet time fixing the game, but at last they did so i started playing the game again. Dead island is a pretty game, it is fun and it runs smooth, you have a good talent tree upgrade system. The only negative thing is that the questI`v just popped 40 hours but iv stopped playing the game after the game got the save file error that would keep you from loading your game. Techland took their sweet time fixing the game, but at last they did so i started playing the game again. Dead island is a pretty game, it is fun and it runs smooth, you have a good talent tree upgrade system. The only negative thing is that the quest gets a little repetitive, but that is something that goes for nearly all games out there. the zombies look great and the open world is pretty huge and the exploration part is really fun. So dead island is a good game if you like some zombie killing fun and some heart stopping moments. Expand
  71. Dec 23, 2011
    After seeing the trailer I thought Wow, this is gonna be really good. But the trailer has nothing to do with the game. It's a completely different feeling, the game feels like comedy, literally. I gave up 20mins in. No thanks.
  72. Dec 17, 2011
    Excellent game. Better than Left 4 dead. Like borderlands and rage, but with zombies and less distance driving. Get given quests (and sidequests), go there, get this and that, fight zombies and find loot on the way, get rewards, increase skills ... then repeat. Took me about 35 hours to complete. A lot more addictive than most games i've played. Its the first game I've played through twiceExcellent game. Better than Left 4 dead. Like borderlands and rage, but with zombies and less distance driving. Get given quests (and sidequests), go there, get this and that, fight zombies and find loot on the way, get rewards, increase skills ... then repeat. Took me about 35 hours to complete. A lot more addictive than most games i've played. Its the first game I've played through twice in a long while. More than that, those play throughs were consecutive - while MW3 sat on my shelf unplayed!

I think the attraction is the sandbox nature of the island - you can just drive ignore all the quests and around exploring if you want. My only complaint is the amount of bullets it takes to kill a zombie! At level 30 you can be facing a level 40 zombie. The zombie can kill you in 2 to 3 punches, but it takes you 30 to 40 rounds to the head and chest to kill it. C'mon if its a 'zombie movie' then one or two to the head should do it.
  73. Nov 30, 2011
    Using the updated software on 1.3.0 This game is exciting and fun. A bit tedious when you get run over by a horde of 8 or 9 zombies at a time but it evens itself out with good vehicle play and has the GTA sandbox feel. Probably not at the same level as GTA but with another iteration it could be awesome. Long story and great gaming.
  74. Nov 27, 2011
    The trailer is much better than the game. The idea is cool, the graphics are nice but this game has a lot of weak points.
    First of is the game saving system and/or checkpoints. It is useless and badly implemented.
    The game is quite repetitive. I hate games that you kill some one (a zombie in this case) and if you walk 100 meter and come back, the same zombie will be there. That's crap. The
    The interactivity with the scenario is awful too. Just go for a drive at the beach and get stuck in a picnic basket. It is frustrating!
    I'll probably try to finish this game because I'm stubborn but I'd not recommend it.
  75. Nov 25, 2011
    While there are certainly some technical issues that can pop up, and some of the facial animations are lacking, the game is exceptionally consistent in presenting a Romero-esque zombie world in a unique setting that sells the game a lot with the exceptional atmosphere created by the sounds of Thugs roaring in the distance, the wet growls of Walkers, and the screams of the 28 Days LaterWhile there are certainly some technical issues that can pop up, and some of the facial animations are lacking, the game is exceptionally consistent in presenting a Romero-esque zombie world in a unique setting that sells the game a lot with the exceptional atmosphere created by the sounds of Thugs roaring in the distance, the wet growls of Walkers, and the screams of the 28 Days Later style Infected. The constant go-fetch quests can be somewhat repetitive, but the challenge of succeeding at them while constantly fearing attack, and being suspicious of every body and blood-stain on the ground makes each one a but of a nail-biter. Dead Island isn't perfect, but for a zombie purist, it would be at the top of my reccomendation list. Expand
  76. Nov 24, 2011
    If you give this game a chance its a really great game and you should definitely consider buying it, It has a creepy atmosphere and the zombies actually sometimes make you jump of course the further on in the game the harder it gets but its also more entertaining that's why you should give this game a chance, it by no means deserves the score its got, sure it had a few bugs but nothingIf you give this game a chance its a really great game and you should definitely consider buying it, It has a creepy atmosphere and the zombies actually sometimes make you jump of course the further on in the game the harder it gets but its also more entertaining that's why you should give this game a chance, it by no means deserves the score its got, sure it had a few bugs but nothing that couldn't of been fixed by a small patch. The graphics are pretty average but there are some neat little effects like the realistic damage to the zombies, once hit they will reveal muscles and insides and when they are hit in the head there head will basically splat and blood will spray everywhere, its really satisfying killing a zombie with one or two hits. The missions are varied to avoid boredom and are sometimes challenging and after each mission you will receive a award which would most likely be a weapon or money to spend on upgrading your weapons which can be done by walking towards a work bench, its all very easy to pick up and you'll get the hang of this quickly, i recommend this game to everyone and especially rpg and fps fans. Expand
  77. Nov 17, 2011
    If you are into zombies then you will probably complete the game. If zombies have little or no affect on you; then you will probably find the game extremely boring. Myself, I am into zombies, and completed the game, solely on the fact that they have an affect on me, even though I found the story line drag on far too long. The locations became quickly boring and almost depressing. TheIf you are into zombies then you will probably complete the game. If zombies have little or no affect on you; then you will probably find the game extremely boring. Myself, I am into zombies, and completed the game, solely on the fact that they have an affect on me, even though I found the story line drag on far too long. The locations became quickly boring and almost depressing. The graphics at time lagged. However, if zombies are your bag and you haven't found a game to fill a week or so of your time, this will do. It is enjoyable, but can bore you at times. Expand
  78. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm very upset with Gamestop & Techland for not getting me my preordered copy of Dead Island. But I loved the game. If you love zombies & games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim or Borderlands or the movies like Mad Max or just a fun intense game. This is a must own. It's a shame to see the bad ratings & cheap price now. I probably put eighty hours into it to get the platinum. Not sure if II'm very upset with Gamestop & Techland for not getting me my preordered copy of Dead Island. But I loved the game. If you love zombies & games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim or Borderlands or the movies like Mad Max or just a fun intense game. This is a must own. It's a shame to see the bad ratings & cheap price now. I probably put eighty hours into it to get the platinum. Not sure if I want buy the add on content because I was not given it with my preorder nor did Techland respond to me on their own facebook. Most companies do. What a shame. I have proof of purchase and I won't buying the next one without a limited edition free add on content version. Bring on Dead Island 2 & show more love to those who buy the damn game and put money in your pocket. Expand
  79. Nov 10, 2011
    To me, Dead Island was the perfect formula for a game. I'm a huge fan o zombie-themed games so I couldn't wait for this one to come out. Even though the game suffers from many bugs and the core mechanics seem too shallow, I had quite a lot of fun in exploring the island and pounding the zombies with my sledgehammer. Let's hope techland learnt a lesson in case they plan to release a sequel.
  80. Nov 9, 2011
    Very nice game, plays a little bit like borderlands with a focus on melee and instead of raiders you have zombies, but the loot system is very extensive. Nothing beats the satasfaction of slicing of a zombies head with a thrown machete from 30metres a way or finding the last component to turn your baseball bat into a flaming zombie destroyer.
  81. Nov 8, 2011
    This game had so much potential but ultimately failed to deliver for me. It's taken aspects of other zombie games and tried to mash them all together, the only problem is that they feel like weaker versions, the multiplayer is taken from Left 4 Dead, but it's not as good, the weapon creation is straight from Dead Rising 2, but it's not as good. I can kind of forgive some of the minorThis game had so much potential but ultimately failed to deliver for me. It's taken aspects of other zombie games and tried to mash them all together, the only problem is that they feel like weaker versions, the multiplayer is taken from Left 4 Dead, but it's not as good, the weapon creation is straight from Dead Rising 2, but it's not as good. I can kind of forgive some of the minor technical failings of the game, after all a game of this size is never going to be bug free, but there is something about it that doesn't add up. I quite liked the resort setting but it lost me after that, the town was completely uninspiring. Also talk about repetition, wow this game has it in abundance! Shame really the trailer looked really promising. Expand
  82. Nov 7, 2011
    I was going to write a proper review, to explain my thoughts and experience of the game. But quite honestly it's not worth it, the game can easily be summed up like this. What a Buggy, Ugly,Recycled,Boring Pile of Rubbish. It's Unoriginal,Uninspired,why they wasted their time at all is beyond me.Even the cut scenes are buggy! Not to Mention they don't make any sense whatsoever when yourI was going to write a proper review, to explain my thoughts and experience of the game. But quite honestly it's not worth it, the game can easily be summed up like this. What a Buggy, Ugly,Recycled,Boring Pile of Rubbish. It's Unoriginal,Uninspired,why they wasted their time at all is beyond me.Even the cut scenes are buggy! Not to Mention they don't make any sense whatsoever when your playing single player. Honestly if your here because you haven't bought the game yet and are considering it, just don't do it, it IS that bad. Expand
  83. Nov 5, 2011
    Wow. This game is a complete waste of money. The plot line sucks (I mean it IS a zombie game so, go figure), the visuals suck, the actual game play sucks, and you just end up repeating the same missions over and over again. All you do is collect useless items for character sprites that do not do anything. They hardly even really help the story progress. If you want a zombie game that isWow. This game is a complete waste of money. The plot line sucks (I mean it IS a zombie game so, go figure), the visuals suck, the actual game play sucks, and you just end up repeating the same missions over and over again. All you do is collect useless items for character sprites that do not do anything. They hardly even really help the story progress. If you want a zombie game that is first person and still has a terrible story (actually non at all) play Left4Dead. If you want a game where you are surrounded by hoards of zombies and all your weapons break, even the ones you spent money on to make, play Dead Rising 2. This game is well worth passing up. Expand
  84. Oct 31, 2011
    I found the game very boring. Decent concept but poor delivered. I expected so much due to the truly wonderful trailer that was released some time ago - the game itself didn't follow on from that. I was disappointed from the opening sequence and it didn't improve much from then on.
  85. Oct 25, 2011
    Simply put: This game has the most bugs/flaws I have ever experienced ... But despite of all the flaws I have already spend 103 hours in this game. It is just a fun game to play, there is no other way to describe this game. It is great fun. You don't play this game for intellectual depth, You don't play this game because you want decent story. At the core it is alright, the gameplay isSimply put: This game has the most bugs/flaws I have ever experienced ... But despite of all the flaws I have already spend 103 hours in this game. It is just a fun game to play, there is no other way to describe this game. It is great fun. You don't play this game for intellectual depth, You don't play this game because you want decent story. At the core it is alright, the gameplay is good, the graphics are good, the amount of content is great, slaughtering zombies is FUN and this game has amazing COOP. It's not like you'r dating the most beautiful girl in the world, you'r dating this chubby girl with that cute pretty face who gives an amazing bl*wjob. Expand
  86. Oct 22, 2011
    The PS3 version is severly bugged. I have no idea why they would release such a flawwed product. Did they run out of funding and rush to just ship whatever they had at the last minute? The game fails to save at certain points AND the save isn't atomic: some of the data is saved and some isn't. This corrupts the game save completely preventing the quests from being progressed (since theThe PS3 version is severly bugged. I have no idea why they would release such a flawwed product. Did they run out of funding and rush to just ship whatever they had at the last minute? The game fails to save at certain points AND the save isn't atomic: some of the data is saved and some isn't. This corrupts the game save completely preventing the quests from being progressed (since the objects are now missing yet the quest completion wasn't saved). GLADLY I only rented this game for 1 night before ever losing any money it. What has happened with the game industry? This kind of bug/flaws used to be unacceptable, now it is just common place. Expand
  87. Oct 19, 2011
    Have been playing the game for nearly 2 weeks, clocked up 40 hours and have just reached Chpt 9. Had just got the mission to blow the tunnel to the jungle, but wanted to check Bungalow 14 for the 'Gold Digger' side mission first. Left the lifeguard house on foot, a message popped up, 'return to vehicle' , however I proceeded towards the bungalows, had travelled only 20 meters from theHave been playing the game for nearly 2 weeks, clocked up 40 hours and have just reached Chpt 9. Had just got the mission to blow the tunnel to the jungle, but wanted to check Bungalow 14 for the 'Gold Digger' side mission first. Left the lifeguard house on foot, a message popped up, 'return to vehicle' , however I proceeded towards the bungalows, had travelled only 20 meters from the vehicle when 'Quest Failed' popped up. The game repawned me on the other side of the hotel complex 248 metres from the vehicle. The game has ended! It is impossible for me to get to the vehicle. This is the only checkpoint the game will load, one that gives me 20 seconds to travel 248 meters to the vehicle before respawning me in the exact same position. I'd loved the game up until then. I want to finish it, but don't know if I can be bothered to do another 40 hours to get to the same place. Really really pissed off! Expand
  88. Oct 18, 2011
    I have to admit I had expected more from this game. It was a very good game but it didn't have that feel to it you know like a game should have. The co-op I loved but I think what got me to but this at a 7/10 was probably the many times you have to fix your weapons I mean for me it was like one slash or swish and I had to repair my weapon again. I recommend you buy this game but at aI have to admit I had expected more from this game. It was a very good game but it didn't have that feel to it you know like a game should have. The co-op I loved but I think what got me to but this at a 7/10 was probably the many times you have to fix your weapons I mean for me it was like one slash or swish and I had to repair my weapon again. I recommend you buy this game but at a cheaper price than it is right now. Peace out yall. Stop haten and stop trollen Expand
  89. Oct 18, 2011
    Let's review Dead Island and we'll start with the good.
    1. The environments are distinct and look relatively good. Each environment is very detailed.
    2. There are tons of quests. You always have something to do. Now let's go into the not so good. 1. Typical RPGs let you increase your character's power, so that it's easier to defeat regular enemies, not so in Dead Island. Zombies level up
    Let's review Dead Island and we'll start with the good.
    2. There are tons of quests. You always have something to do.

Now let's go into the not so good.
    1. Typical RPGs let you increase your character's power, so that it's easier to defeat regular enemies, not so in Dead Island. Zombies level up WITH you. There is absolutely NO reason to level up. The higher your level, the harder the game. What the developers should have done was make regular zombies a lot weaker than you, and special zombies equal or stronger. Levelling all enemies with you is just stupid.

2. The game focuses on melee weapons, and they SUCK. They have no reach. You'd think if you were flailing a sledgehammer in front of you, that would give you some space between you and zombies. Not the case, using a weapon gets you about the same reach as using your bare fists.

3. Zombie spawning is quite bad. Zombies pop out of thin air. If you ever find the secret enemy who kills you in LITERALLY one hit, takes drastically reduced damage (Sam B's instant kill stomp takes off about 5% of his health, not exaggerating), he spawns infinitely. As soon as you kill him, he instantly respawns nearby. He also runs faster than a car so you can't escape from him. There is a part later in the game where the only zombies that spawn are Infected, which are faster moving, faster attacking, but low health zombies, and speaking of infected....

4. Infected. Who thought these were a good idea? If you get attacked by more than three of these guys, you might as well just load from the nearest checkpoint. Their fast attacks mean your attacks are constantly getting interrupted. And when you're surrounded by attacks and can only kick, well you're screwed.

5. Voice acting hasn't been this bad since "You were almost a Jill Sandwich".

In short, this game is seriously flawed. The concept is very good, however, its execution is pretty bad. This game could have, and should have been a lot better.
  90. Oct 17, 2011
    I just finished Dead Island and can say that it was better than I expected, as long as you remember that this game is NOT an FPS. It's an RPG with some shooting elements, which are somewhat sluggish, but still functional. Some technical issues plague the game, such as checkpoints, the save system and wonky controls. But otherwise, I found it to be a highly entertaining game. The island isI just finished Dead Island and can say that it was better than I expected, as long as you remember that this game is NOT an FPS. It's an RPG with some shooting elements, which are somewhat sluggish, but still functional. Some technical issues plague the game, such as checkpoints, the save system and wonky controls. But otherwise, I found it to be a highly entertaining game. The island is massive and it truly feels like an open world game. There's so much to do, find and see, which makes for a high-value game. The visuals are fairly strong with some buginess here and there. The voice acting is competent and the sound is strong as well. The weapons have a "rarity" factor to them, similar to Borderlands, which makes for some fun moments when you find a true gem. Overall, the feeling of survival in a lush environment is there, and that's the main point of the game. Expand
  91. Oct 14, 2011
    I definitely enjoyed this game. It CAN get repetitive but still is a great game, and you can spend a great deal of time in this game. "Modding" your weapons is always fun, and does a great job of adding customization to the game. The story is kinda bland, but I definitely didn't play it for a story, I played for some fun zombie slaying. If you like Zombie games, then I definitely recommendI definitely enjoyed this game. It CAN get repetitive but still is a great game, and you can spend a great deal of time in this game. "Modding" your weapons is always fun, and does a great job of adding customization to the game. The story is kinda bland, but I definitely didn't play it for a story, I played for some fun zombie slaying. If you like Zombie games, then I definitely recommend it. Easily the best Zombie game out there at the moment, (beyond the Resident Evil series). Expand
  92. Oct 14, 2011
    It has a... "LOST" feel to me, which is great. The game is buggy, yes, even after installing the latest patch, but I still find it to be quite intense and fun. Great graphics and atmosphere, awsome soundtrack, fine gameplay. My only complaint is that it's OBVIOUS this was made for a co-op experience. Playing the game alone quickly becomes a frustrating and (too) difficult experience. TheyIt has a... "LOST" feel to me, which is great. The game is buggy, yes, even after installing the latest patch, but I still find it to be quite intense and fun. Great graphics and atmosphere, awsome soundtrack, fine gameplay. My only complaint is that it's OBVIOUS this was made for a co-op experience. Playing the game alone quickly becomes a frustrating and (too) difficult experience. They should consider this on a future patch, balancing the game a bit, so lone players who don't want to go online (me included) can have a better time. But, on the end of the day, this is one of the best recent zombie games. Expand
  93. Oct 13, 2011
    Great Game! Yes there are bugs, but in the end the ability to beat a zombie senseless with a boatoar makes you forget about those. Definitely an online game, though playing on single player gives you more of a challenge. This game has a ton of replay value, with four different characters to play with. Kinda wish that you could have made your own, but oh well. This game reminded me of aGreat Game! Yes there are bugs, but in the end the ability to beat a zombie senseless with a boatoar makes you forget about those. Definitely an online game, though playing on single player gives you more of a challenge. This game has a ton of replay value, with four different characters to play with. Kinda wish that you could have made your own, but oh well. This game reminded me of a cross between Grand Theft Auto and Left 4 Dead, and in my opinion combined great aspects of both. Another way to think of this game is a BETTER version of Boarderlands, a game in my opinion was boring and unplayable. Worth every penny, and later patches should fix alot of problems, don't listen to the haters, go out and but this game you will not be left unhappy. Expand
  94. Oct 12, 2011
    This is one of those games that you only continue to play because you paid 70 dollars for it. Unfortunately, the fact that I wasted 70 dollars on this game was not motivating enough for me to even finish it. I got about half way through the game and was tired of being mobbed by zombies and dying because the weapons you have aren't suited for taking out 5 zombies let alone 20. Having toThis is one of those games that you only continue to play because you paid 70 dollars for it. Unfortunately, the fact that I wasted 70 dollars on this game was not motivating enough for me to even finish it. I got about half way through the game and was tired of being mobbed by zombies and dying because the weapons you have aren't suited for taking out 5 zombies let alone 20. Having to repair, upgrade, and trade weapons constantly will leave you frustrated and annoyed. The only thing good about this game is the opening cut scene. WHO DO YOU VOODOO, B****! Expand
  95. Oct 11, 2011
    well this game had alot of hype and fortunitly for me i didnt buy into it and kept a "wait and see approach" . when it comes to zombie killing games you have resident evil , left 4 dead , and dead rising being the big ones . some of thoose being crap or really good games (check my reviews if you want to know more of what i think on them) . none of them outside of earlly RE games havewell this game had alot of hype and fortunitly for me i didnt buy into it and kept a "wait and see approach" . when it comes to zombie killing games you have resident evil , left 4 dead , and dead rising being the big ones . some of thoose being crap or really good games (check my reviews if you want to know more of what i think on them) . none of them outside of earlly RE games have captured the feel of a zombie appoclypse to perfection or close to it atleast. Dead Island may have looked promising and got a few things right but messed up abit as well. what it got right is it has a wonderful looking open world to explore , a great crafting system and lots of wepons to use or make , lots and lots of quests , 4 player co-op , the combat system works pretty good , the graphics on the zombies and other people in the game look pretty damn good . now for the bad... first off the story ... well there isnt really one , you just do alot of meaningless quests for the most part that earn you cash , upgrade plans , or wepons . the main plot quests really dont go much further outside of being longer . like i said the combat system isnt bad but collision detection is kinda wonky and kicks or attacks with wepons will go right through them with no reaction what so ever. also the game is way way to heavily focused on melee combat. sure its fun to hack away at a zombie with a machete thats electrified but i want guns and lots of them . you do get guns but rarely and they hold such little ammo that you rarely ever want to use them . i would have liked to have seen a balance between shooting and melee combat. instead its 98% melee with 2% shooting. leveling up and gaining new skills is a great idea ...unfortunitly it dont mean jack when your enimys level up with you and that extra health dont do a thing when they just hit you for more damage any way .... so why did they even bother adding it. the physics system also sucks . you would think when i kick a zombie back the one behind it would get knocked back too but no he just runs right through him. the save feature is another problem . the game only saves after you finish a quest and turn it in . in a giant open world game you would think they would have a save any where feature or at the very very least have some save points around but they dont . the respawn feature is also kinda sucky at times as some times you will spawn and have 4 or 5 zombies kicking the crap out of you before you can even react . as for bugs and glitches which i heard from many people there are alot ... honestly outside of some cliping and alittle slow down now and then i didnt encounter any . im sure they are there i must have just been lucky . all in all this is a ok game it just needed another year to cook to make a great zombie survivor game along with a better story anda better balanced combat system . also out of the 4 persons you can choose to play as its pretty much pointless just pick who you like. there stats and extra abilites mean jack . which just like left for dead all the charicters you can select from are lame and they might as well made a create a charicter mode. i suggest you rent this first and try it out . it is made better if you have some friends to play with , otherwise wait for a price drop . Expand
  96. Oct 11, 2011
    Idea is great. Graphics are pretty darn good, and the ability to target and surgically dismember enemies is a plus. I love the ability to modify weapons (a baseball bat is much more effective with nails or blades attached to the end). With that said, I believe the game missed the mark. Multiplayer is fun...once you can get it to work. Personally, i would spend upwards of 30 minutes tryingIdea is great. Graphics are pretty darn good, and the ability to target and surgically dismember enemies is a plus. I love the ability to modify weapons (a baseball bat is much more effective with nails or blades attached to the end). With that said, I believe the game missed the mark. Multiplayer is fun...once you can get it to work. Personally, i would spend upwards of 30 minutes trying to connect to my friends to play together and by that time I was ready to call it quits. Some missions seem repetitive, especially when you have to go from each side of the island numerous times. Suprising even to me, I became a bit bored of the game after about a week. Why, exactly, i can't put my finger on. But I ended up taking this game back after 7 days and pre-ordering Battlefield 3. Expand
  97. Oct 10, 2011
    When I first saw the trailer i must've been the smart one not to get into all the hype of this game, nevertheless the game is alright controls are okay the zombies are perfect especially the infected ones. What makes the game real cool is exploring the maps and doing quests for others, even though the quests are kinda child-like. like going too find a necklace. The upgrading system is okayWhen I first saw the trailer i must've been the smart one not to get into all the hype of this game, nevertheless the game is alright controls are okay the zombies are perfect especially the infected ones. What makes the game real cool is exploring the maps and doing quests for others, even though the quests are kinda child-like. like going too find a necklace. The upgrading system is okay , the Graphics are not that well but their okay. overall the game is good for anyone that loves the Zombie Apolcalyspe Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2011
    I didnt know what to expect when I picked this up, once I began I couldnt stop, everything about the game was fun as hell. I thought the graphics were great as well as the frame rate. Controls were tight as well as the hit detection. I would without a doubt recommend this title.
  99. Oct 3, 2011
    Stay away from this game! Stay far away from it! It's awfully buggy, the animations are really bad. It's just a clone-gone-wrong of Left 4 Dead from Valve. Stay away from it!
  100. Oct 1, 2011
    Dead Island is basically broken. The game is full of bugs and glitches, and it has and endless number of boring and frustrating missions, which drive a nonsensical plot. I absolutely cannot stand the melee combat which makes up more than half of the campaign. Plus, the weapons are weak as kleenex and break one after the other. Anyone who has played Nazi Zombies or Left 4 Dead knows thatDead Island is basically broken. The game is full of bugs and glitches, and it has and endless number of boring and frustrating missions, which drive a nonsensical plot. I absolutely cannot stand the melee combat which makes up more than half of the campaign. Plus, the weapons are weak as kleenex and break one after the other. Anyone who has played Nazi Zombies or Left 4 Dead knows that smart people fight zombies with guns, not machetes and knives. Get it right Deep Silver. Expand
  101. Sep 6, 2011
    As close to a perfect idea as I've played in a while! Mixes aspects of Fallout and Dead Rising along with some unique new and different ideas! Pretty much a must buy for any fan of the shooter/rpg genre!

1. May 21, 2012
    Dead Island may lack that top level of polish, and even have its own awkward moments, but it's a game worth playing, and easily worth your money. The gameplay is deep, the visuals can be breathtaking (at times), and every bit of it is fun. This game earns itself a spot in the ranks of the best zombie games and RPGs around. There's still plenty of fun to be had with zombie games.
  2. Nov 27, 2011
    While the trailer might have been a case of style over substance, the final game is the polar opposite. [Issue#210, p.84]
  3. Nov 17, 2011
    Techland doesn't disappoint here by hitting most of the points necessary to make a good RPG and adding in some new ideas.