7.7

1. Oct 3, 2012
    Pros. Best Fighting Mechanism out there. Brutal and hard hitting, like a Beat em up should be. Good looking characters. Long lived through online play and difficult challenges. Waste diversity in combat styles and customized looks. A lot of fanservice Cons. Require some time to understand the mechanism. The patch that fixes online lagg has not yet reached the western marked. Lipsynch to voiceacting in storymode could be a lot better. Conclusion.
    This game should be graded 8,5-9,5 out of 10 depending on your preferances. Criterias open for subjectivity:
    Fighting mechanism - This game allows for comebacks and turnarounds, and leave very few pauses for both players. Other mechanisms may rely on X hit combos and airlifting, ultimatly making it a 1-player games at 10 sec periods at the time. If you like fast paste and constant thrill, then this is something you'll like.

Good looking characters - Both the men and women looks above average, however from eider practical, realistic or ideological view this may be viewed as a con. The fighters rarly look battle scared, even though they may turn sweaty or dirty if you put on this function, their faces will never become pummeled, bloody or utherly destroyed. There also is the aspect at practicality as some costumes would be really hard to fight in, (like a clown uniform.) and some may view strong female fighters as unrealistic. Lastly arch-conservatives may view some of the costumes to be too revealing or unethical.
  2. Sep 27, 2012
    Coming from Tekken and Soul Calibur, I didn't exactly know what to expect for DOA 5, being my first DOA game. The one button for punch, kick, throw and counter needed some getting used to from my part but when I got the hang of it, I realized how solid DOA's gameplay actually is.

Amidst the obvious style-over-substance generalizations the fighting game community labels on DOA and its
    fan service and jiggle physics, I found out that it's actually a fun and moderately deep fighting game which will keep me going on for a long time.

On the PS3, after installing it, no game compares to how short the loading screens are. Excellent performance. Also, DOA 5 is by far the most beautiful looking fighting game I've played.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    The best fighting game of 2012. Its simple yet very deep. It has beautiful graphics with cool and sexy characters. Great intuitive gameplay. I look past the boobs, I really don't care for it, I'm in it for the fighting and Ayane. She's just so cool!
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    DOA finally arrived to PS3! And I was not disapointed in this game. It is very enjoyable for casual fighter players like me and I think there are challenges for pro gamers as well. The story mode interesting and funny and not so difficult to win. There are a lot of game modes (offline and online) and training as well. I really like the graphics and the moves of the characters. Recommended!
  5. Sep 30, 2012
    Let's get this straight, yes .. DOA5 has sexy female characters and it shows .. there is nothing wrong with this as long as the gameplay is superb, and it is.

First, the story mode is done very nicely, it is a character introduction, story and tutorial all combined together .. and while the story isn't ground breaking in any way it never takes itself too seriously and even when it does
    it's still damn funny and entertaining, the tutorial aspect covers most of the basics and delves into the advanced techniques in the game .. new players should really finish the story mode before trying anything else.

Aside from story mode there are the usual Arcade, VS, Time Attack and Survival mode (aside from the excellent practice mode), there is also the option to play Tag battles which can be a lot of fun.

The visuals are upgraded significantly and there is a nice attention to detail (detailed faces, sweat, wet/dirty clothes, fully destructible objects .. etc etc) .. not to mention the stages are huge and filled with nifty details and multiple fighting arenas per stage and the "danger zones" mechanic makes them even more interesting.

There are many characters both male and female (and the addition of 2 Vitrua Fighter characters is welcome ^_^), each has at least six outfits per character (2 unlocked from the get go and the rest unlocked through the other modes, while story mode unlocks characters), and of course the infamous bikinis for the girls this time are going to be DLC XD

DOA5 is really a full package of goodness, interesting technical combat system, fun stages, sexy characters, lots of different modes .. etc etc ... if you see nothing but "boooobies" here then you are surely missing the point and can't see beyond your nose.
  6. Sep 27, 2012
    Absolutely great game. Got more fighters than ever. Online was enjoyable. The fighters are as usual sexy with their breasts. Love this game! Kicks TTT2's ass!
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of DOA! Me and my bros play DOA ever since the first one. The fighting styles of each characters are well done. I really like the new dirt and water/sweat graphics to make the fighters look a little bit interesting. Lastly, I love the new facial features of the characters, they made so much better looking than the previous DOA. I'll give it a 9. I'm a FIGHTER, You're a FIGHTER.
  8. Sep 27, 2012
    INTRODUCTION: Behind all of the glamorous scenery, better-than-average to good storyline, and beautiful character models is a solid fighter that is actually fun to play. There are many aspects of this game that can be covered, but I'll focus on three and let other reviewers tackle the rest. First, the technical mechanics have been changed to include critical bursts, power blows, and sidesteps. Second, the gameplay is suitable for beginners without much frustration, but a pro will always beat a newbie. Finally, I'll discuss the collector's edition, what's included, and the quality of the items. DOA5 HAS SOME NEW FIGHTING MECHANICS over the traditional DOA triangle system, and these are critical burst, power blow, and sidestepping mechanics. Critical burst, if it lands, allows a player guaranteed damage without fear of holds (ie. DOA4). Power blows are charged attacks that not only deal massive damage if connected, but also serves to launch opponents into normal hazards like a normal attack, or trigger special hazards only available to power blow attacks. Finally, sidestepping was introduced that allows one to easily avoid vertical attacks, but not rotating attacks or throws. Sidestepping input is either a double tap up or down, or up/down+HPK. This input is selectable in the menus. DOA5 IS ACCESSIBLE TO NEWBIES. Control input is forgiving and can be buffered to help button mashers and less skillful players get into the game. A few combos for each character can be accessed by simple P or K input without ever touching your stick, but if you really want to fight to win, you'll be forced to penetrate deeper into the game mechanics. It's not that these easy combos are poor or ineffective, but rather that they can be easily predicted and counter held. THE USA COLLECTOR'S EDITION HAS COOL STUFF in it: DOA5 poster with the entire cast and text that reads, "I'm a fighter" (of course), a free "Kasumi FULLY EXPOSED" PDF guide with a ton of technical info and tips on on how to play her, swimsuit costumes voucher, full game soundtrack, art book with comments from Team Ninja about the challenges in changing the character designs (honestly very vanilla... I miss Itagaki's funny personality), and of course, the game itself with manual. While the extras are cool to have, I would've honestly been okay without them. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the extras and think it was worth the purchase. This is definitely the best DOA collector's edition release I have seen, but I feel like it's something I will only look at once and never use or see again. The extras, aside from the costumes, really have no replay value. Maybe I'm hoping they have some resell value, though. ;) BOTTOM LINE: All in all, DOA5 is a solid, competition-ready fighter with a decent storyline, evolved game mechanics, and feels much less broken than DOA4. The fighting mechanics will be easy to pick up as a newbie, but the pros, and even the computers, will give you a run for your money. This is a fun game that feels deeper and more polished than any DOA ever released. Expand
  9. Apr 8, 2013
    Fantastic game. Excellent graphics, good story line. I found my self laughing at some parts.
    People shouldnt complain about online pass. If you want to support developers then pay it.
    If you bought it preowned for cheap, then play it offline.
  10. Nov 6, 2012
    If you asked me what my favorite game of ALL time was, I would say "Dead or Alive 5". No lie! I LOVE this game. I was a huge fanatic for DoA4, and 5 I feel improves upon it in almost all ways.

The only issue I had was at first I didn't like that there were no more cutscene story endings, but not that I've played through the "story" mode, I don't care. I like what they did there and I
    thought it was awesome! Especially how it trained you while you were playing through it.

I suppose I'm weird for liking the "stories" and such from these games, because they're so out of whack and over the top and just plain weird, but for whatever reason, it just resonates with me and I love it.

The graphics are gorgeous and the animations are fluid, which I'm very happy about.

This is the only game that I play online and I can't get enough of it. My favorite aspect about DoA that makes it better than any other fighting games to me is that I feel like if I lose, it's my own fault, because of the triangle fighting system (rock-paper-scissors setup), you feel as though you can always do something, and if you get pummeled, then it's your own fault (although that doesn't stop me from getting enraged when I get my butt handed to me) :P Get this game... No joke! Play online and see why it's so amazing!
  11. Feb 1, 2014
    A great fighting game interesting battle system, characters each with their own fighting style, beautiful arena, the Internet is a great, excellent training mode.
    VF5 certainly more suitable for kiberdistsipliny everything is polished and licked, but DOA 5 is much better in terms of graphics and dynamics.

1. Dec 12, 2012
    Dead or Alive 5 is a solid beat'em up. It has great visuals, and the intricacies of the gameplay entice both the novice and the expert alike. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Dead or Alive 5 is just as unique as it is awkward. On the surface it still wants to be the kooky, over-the-top brawler that is known more for its breasts than it is its fists. However, underneath that fa├žade is a high-quality fighter still struggling for acceptance within the fighting game community.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    DOA5 plays it too safe, coming across as more of a revision or remake of DOA4 than a full sequel in its own right. [Dec 2012]