6.6

1. Sep 28, 2010
    I picked up my game last night.... I didn't go to sleep at all. If you are simply a fan of brainless sugar-coated fun, then buy this game because if all you want is a stressful, twitch-shooter with zombies that run at 60 miles per hour and never let you have fun... then go back to Left 4 Dead and don't say anything about this game.
    This is a true achievement in the videogame community, a
    masterpeice on its own merits. You take down swaths of slow-moving undead with anything (literally) that you can pick up. Then you can even combine some of the things you pick up to cause more fun mayhem and bloodshed.
    Before you listen to any naysayer of the game, think of this:
    You can combine a two-by-four with a lawnmower to make a handheld lawnmower that will grind zombies to nothing more than chunky blood soup.
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    I purchased my copy of DR 2 the day it came out. Once i began playing it i was immediately attached to the character and his motives. I wanted to see the story go to the end. Sadly the game does not make this easy as you should spend your first play-through ranking up by doing survivor missions and zombie killing because of the extensively difficult boss battles that are only made less difficult by ranking. nevertheless the game is still extremely fun to play and offers a wide range of zombie killing techniques and awesome combo weapons to execute them. I love this game and just can't stop playing it. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2010
    Dead Rising 2 is an odd game to review. Going strictly on an objective, technical look, I'd give the game an 8/10. There are definitely elements that frustrate, chief among them being frequent load times, the lack of spoken dialogue (especially since what *is* there is so good), and the occasional difficultly spike. It's by no means perfect. However, there is something about it, something intangible, that makes me want to play it more than I want to play games that I'd give a 9 or 9.5 to. I guess it's just a pure sense of fun. DR2 is probably one of the most purely FUN games out there. There's something about it that just makes you want to keep playing late into the night.

I won't go into too much depth, but here are some highlights:
    GOOD:
    1. Concept.
    2. Visuals (By which I mean styles, colors, general feel of the Vegas-like environment).
    3. Voice Acting (Seriously, even though this is a silly game, the acting has more depth than any of the Resident Evil games, which were going for a serious tone).
    4. Combo Weapons
    5. Chuck Greene (What can I say, he's a total badass)
    6. Humor
    7. The Cast (especially the psychos)
    8. So many secrets to be found.
    9. Just. Plain. Fun.

BAD:
    1. Frequent Load Times
    2. Visuals (By which I mean textures. I hate looking at people's hands in this game.)
    3. Too little voice acting (so many survivors with interesting personalities are just text)
    4. Difficulty spikes (You never know when a psycho is going to pop out and kick your ass)

While all those negatives are legitimate complaints, ones which I think need to be smoothed out in future iterations of the series, the fact remains that the game is so fun that I end up not caring about the negatives. 100% recommended.
  4. Nov 13, 2010
    i think this is just great fun. if you are looking for a deep story you aren't looking in the right place. although the story isn't bad just pretty straight forward and i had it figured out before the end. i mean this is just good fun. how many ridiulous was can i smash a thousand zombies? what about 5000? or 73,650?? howabout with flaming boxing gloves or fireworks? maybe a wheel chair or a bucket. doesn't matter. and all the people crying about the timed missions, you aren't suppossed to get them all this game is to be played over and over again, i'm on my 4th as of now. slowed down but if i ever need some good zombie smashing i know what to play! yes simlar from the first but just a little bit better in important ways. my one complaint is that you feel way underpowered your first playthrough. if you make it through without doing some online co-op leveling first you are a master because i made it about half way before i had to start over and use my leveled character to finish the whole story. but that play throguh was much more enjoyable, i knew where things were, i knew which people i could get and how to do it. and smashed a ton of zombies in the process. approching level 50 is when you can truely just enjoy the game and all those survivors, forget them if you want, there's a trophy for that! just smash zombies and do the main story to keep it moving and keep the zombies coming! Expand
  5. Oct 15, 2010
    Dead Rising 2 is a really fun game to play. It also is really good that you can combine your weapons to make it even more fun to kill zombies. The good thing about this game is that it is based some where different compared to the first one. The game is way better than number 1 because you can do loads more stuff like combining weapons, driving motorbikes and loads of other things. The best thing about the game is probably finding things to customize a weapon. The main character in dead rising 2 is better than the first one because you have more zombies to kill. You can also add weapons to a motor bike and a wheel chair which is really good for a game like this. I donâ Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2010
    Best. Zombiegame. Ever. Seriously, this is the closest you will ever come to the feeling of a zombie movie. A single zombie is not really dangerous, but the horde is. The passing time and the survivors you have to save give a constant feeling of threat and suspense. Also, you can discover lots and lots of secrets. You will get better in the game and feel this - which is a nice thing in an age where you will get offered super-easy-mode after dieing twice. Graphics are really great in my opinion.

If you love zombie movies pick this up. It's a hell of a ride and I had only fun with it.
  7. May 18, 2011
    Love this Game.. its almost too much fun... its Corny,Cheesy and mindless fun but there is something innately satisfying about using a modified lawn mover, dressed in a man-kini and safari hat, to lay waste to a sea of never ending undead
  8. Mar 23, 2011
    This review is quite late, but I have a logical excuse, I only just joined the Metacritic community, and this is something of a â
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is better than the first, alot of boss fights and typical hordes of zombies. Although i have to admit it was advertised as taking place in the las vegas strip, it feels alot like the first game with much better graphics. Controls could be tighter, frequent screen tearing, and very stupid a.i. friendliest hinder this game a bit. The game is cheesy, funny, and scary at times making the experience well rounded. Alot of fun kiling zombies with combined weapons is wicked. A must buy for zombie game fans. Expand
  10. Jun 29, 2012
    Really don't understand the low score for this game, it's great. If you love zombies then buy it! The only negative thing that i can say about it is the difficulty, because the game is very challenging at times!
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    Well done this is the funnest game I´ve played in my intire life just go buy it ,it has some issues like framarate drops but nothing much important this game is 1010 on fun factor I only wished DR3 would be fun like 2 D:
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    This is one of my favorite zombie games ever and its for sure in my top 15 favorite games of all time. This game combines all my favourite game types amazingley, Zombie,3rd person,open world, all in one and it has a great sense of humor (Whispers*Bannana hammic). AND multiple endings Good god i went to gamin heaven, OH wait theres more COMBO CARDS. 10
  13. Sep 28, 2010
    I love this game. It is such a rewarding experience and you feel awesome when you accomplish anything. It's actually very addictive as well, I got it this morning but before I knew it, it was 12am. It's obviously been made for the fans of the original, so obviously if you didn't like the first you're not going to like this one. The side quests are alot tougher this time round, especially the psychopaths. You're going to have a big gun if you're at a lower level and you try and take them on. However, this does make it such a more rewarding experience and keeps the re-playability alive. The AI on the survivors alot better however and you won't find them always screaming for help after having stupidly run into a crowd of zombies.
    The story really drives you forward, storylines are very important to me in a game, which was why I originally liked the first game and this one is no different. Chuck makes me laugh alot, he's not trying to be funny AT ALL but his cool occasional one liners make me laugh out loud and the subtle rock music that played when he's being a badass is cool too. It's such a strange format, in a good way though, the combat and overall game-play is just comedy, but the storyline is very serious. From the outside this might seem weird, but it works really well.
    The multi-player made me laugh alot, its very funny, it's played out like a gameshow and the money you earn from winning can be spent in the single-player.
    I can immediately tell that I'll be playing this one for a while, with the addition of co-op and multiplayer the re-play value is just massive.

Dead Rising 2 is everything the first game should have been. Even though the zombie motif may be overworn, the game hits a perfect blend of horror, gore, mystery and morbid humor – the essence of everything great about the zombie genre. Annoying and bad boss fights bring the final score down, but other than that, Dead Rising 2 gets almost everything right.
  2. Jan 11, 2011
    Dead Rising fans - you know who you are - are going to love this game. If you still bust out your copy of the 2006 original, do yourself a favor and pick this up.
  3. Jan 11, 2011
    The thing about the Dead Rising series is that it's pretty unique. Killing hordes of zombies with a huge variety of improvised weaponry isn't a genre present anywhere else. It's a great game to just mess around in, picking up random clothing, smashing zombie heads in and fighting away psychopaths.