6.4

1. Feb 13, 2013
    So, glitchy, repetitively boring, absolutely zero scare factor, and now a poor mainstream 3rd person action/shooter instead of what I, as a Dead Space fan, thought it was. Survival/Horror! Other than some slightly funner mechanics like co-op and scavaging, the only jewel from this title is the crafting system. If your looking for something to scare and thrill you, or want a satisfying continuation of the story, my opinion is it sadly disappoints. If you must get it, wait for the enevitable price drop. Like RE6, disapointed.... Collapse
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    Saves load an hour before the point where you were, levels load if you are lucky. Just unacceptable. A game only the WHORES at EA would ask money for. Do NOT buy.
  3. May 19, 2013
    The game was okay till chapter 5. but the game save problem is a impudence. it even does not save the game when the auto save message occur. so i lost the desire to complete the game. the internet is full of complainments about this problem, but ea seems not to care about this...
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    The original Dead Space was one of the greatest horror game experience i have ever played. But with Dead Space 3 its a hole different story. The horror is gone, and instead EA have put a lot of action in it. It does not fit the dead space universe and therefore it is a mixed experience, that you quickly forget again. No more Dead Space EA
  5. Mar 4, 2013
    Lacks everything that made the first two games so entertaining. Monsters are not scary at all and encounters are totally predictable. Action is technically good but is missing the feeling.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    Not much words about this game. I stopped playing and having hopes on chapter 6, so can't say how it was until ending. But it was not worth to try more. Seems EA ruin every game they touch. In DS3 they changed everything good in First 2 games. Atmosphere, weapon crafting and endless pointless unskipable cut scenes are major changes which was enough to ruin whole game. So, rather replay few more times DS1 and DS2 than even try to play that!!! Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a long departure from the original Dead Space. It is not a survival/horror type game. This is a third person shooter all the way. I played for an hour before I returned it to Gamefly. The characters are boring and the fighting is extremely clunky. The music of the game is dull and sound fx are nothing to remember. But I think I am jaded by the original game. A newer generation gamer who hasn't played the first one would like this game. Expand
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    Boring, not scary, drawn out and WHERE THE F&$K DID THE MARKERS ORIGINATE? Story is not that it was ever the best, but some light-shining on the race that occupied Tau Volantis and how/where they were first attacked by these Markers would be a nice way to end out the series ie. SOME EFFING CLOSURE TO A STORY I HAD BEEN FOLLOWING FOR 5 YEARS!!!

EA has killed gaming for me with this.
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    Auto-save doesn't work and I can't finish 5 chapter. This happens for the first time that I can't finish the game. From what i've seen in 4 chapters game doesn't offers much more.
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game isn't terrifying in the slightest and has lost a GREAT deal of it's original "creepy factor" that it had in the first game. Rooms are recycled (used more than once), enemies are very predictable in the fact that you can often times guess just which enemy is going to be in an area based on it's layout. On the basis of enemies: Too many vents means Feeders, open area with lots of obstacles generally means Stalkers (which have no true lore basis for being there as birds had no place being on Tau Volantis). Further more, there are only two new enemies in the entire game: The Feeders and the Alien Necromorphs. They hint at dogs but their actual presence in the game is just a reskin/retexture of the Lurker and many times you wonder why the hell dogs would have been in a particular area in the first place. The infamous Tank creature (dead space 1/2) is NEVER used in this game. Boss fights equal out to be ridiculously foreshadowed, easy and for the most part recycled (same boss more than once) or rehashes of previous boss battles (Nexus being a rehash of the final boss in Dead Space 1).

On the basis of the horror factor: There is far more 'jump out and make loud noises' fear than there should be and MANY situations aren't scary or fun, they're just annoying. There's no creepy factors in this game unless you're playing Co-op and those only occur to Carver. There are absolutely no 'fake-outs' like we saw in Dead Space 1 where the scariest room had no enemies and Dead Space 2 where you would occasionally see objects moving (such as the wheelchair rolling across the hall for no reason). What's even worse is that the game takes a MAJOR hit to it's gore factor in the form that Isaac's death cutscenes are the same as they ever were (because there are less unique enemies to dish them out) and there aren't any new ones that I know of. Many times he will die in one piece rather than being absolutely decimated/maimed and despite the popular ideal that you don't necessarily want to die in a game, this "feature" made Dead Space very enticing. On the basis of Gameplay: Medpacks/ammunition come out of the ****ing wood works in this game and including an option to make your own medpacks/ammunition BUTCHORS the 'survival' aspect. Being able to create and mix weapons with supercharged/named gear (available through microtransaction) makes insanely powerful weapons that take away from the actual fight and gives you an ASTOUNDING upper hand. The ending: I dunno who's bright idea it was to try and explain the Necromorphs as the fleas that fall off of MOONS but they should be fired. This was quite honestly the dumbest storyline idea I've ever seen and was probably used just as an excuse to make a giant boss fight that wound up being silly and short-lived with no real challenge to it. They could have just explained it all as "The alien civilization -found- the markers and did not build them" and could have explored new additions to the franchise. Instead, they opted out with the dumbest explanation to an in-game threat I've ever seen.

As a whole: Whatever this is, it isn't Dead Space. It made the exact same errors as Resident Evil 6 and virtually killed the franchise for me with recycled rooms/bosses, a co-op feature that kills the horror feel, WAY too much ammo/medpacks to make it 'survivor'. What did it over the most was the absolutely storytelling as they threw in a curveball out of no-where and explain to us that there wasn't one marker (Dead space 1) there wasn't SEVEN markers (Dead Space 2) there are THOUSANDS and they're just communications antennas for the source which are MOONS of the planets. This is NOT good storytelling, this is just laziness.

The only positive factors of this game is the extraordinary coding which leaves virtually no glitches/bugs and everything works properly.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Oh how i hate this game. Run run shoot shoot, cutscene, run run shoot shoot, cutscene.

They took a great game and made it loud STUPID and generic. You cant even walk into a room without having a 10 second cutscene to show you were the enemy is coming and what kind it is. Such a huge disappointment. Just another boring shooter.
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    Forget it, they've lost what made Deadspace 1 and (mostly) 2 awesome. Turned into mass appeal FPS rubbish. What's worse, they've included pay-to-win features. Don't like the game, and I don't like where this is going.
  13. Aug 5, 2014
    I'm no 'h8r' or a 'butthurt horror fan'. I'm just a guy who loved DS and enjoyed DS2. So I gladly borrowed it from a friend to check out this new entry on the series. Am I glad I didn't buy it! On to the game: I know they tried to add some stuff, like crafting and coop, and they were good ideas but were poorly executed and ended up being bland and a chore, I mean, some weapons end up being weaker than your trusty Plasma cutter (TM), which is still useless because strategic dismemberment is gone. Enemies take lots of ammo to take down, with or without limbs, and the game balances your enormous damage income by giving you tons of medkits. Seriously? What's the point of making enemies more powerful so that you need more health boosters? Is it to encourage teamwork? Because it did not, and getting both of us in constant need of revives made the game even more frustrating. On top of that, controls seem a bit unresponsive and some abilities have been messed with. Anyway, I see people praising the story, which would have been good had it been more prominent. In fact, in the 7 chapters I played, I didn't get any of it because it was simply uninteresting. I really didn't care about it at all. So with that in mind, what else is left to maintain it's honour? The mechanics are fine since they haven't changed, for good or bad, and the graphics have worsened a bit. The blood and gore is awful as it was on it's predecessor so there's no real fun in the process of annihilating the enemies. Enemies, did you say? Yes! Apparently now there are some crazy Unitologists that want to kill Isaac and the other guy because they can turning this into another wanna be RE4 that turns out like RE5, with lots of dull, action, no horror and few real great moments. What's funny is that these are actually better than the necromorphs but they are still meh. I could go on but I think it's pretty clear EA has given us an unfinished game with a bad story (I looked up the ending) and mediocre visuals and gameplay. Expand
  14. Jul 16, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game I have played in my entire life. Half of it is decent and the other half is frustratingly broken. I got this game for Free from PS Plus and I want my money back!
  15. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  16. Nov 22, 2014
    This is easily the worst game out of the trilogy. It has even more quick-time events, micro-transaction nonsense, horrible enemy AI, and the biggest problem: awful plot. I flat out face-palmed with this embarrassing love triangle thrown in to a game that is suppose to be tense and horrific. The only terror comes from having to put up with these stupid characters that had promise in the series only to be used as plot devices to push the story in a certain direction. It is one of the most predictable games I have ever played. This isn't a survival-horror game, this is a generic shooter with a bad plot and a love triangle that is so forced it makes the player feel awkward for having such bad writing.

90 percent of what made this series good is missing from this masquerade of a survival horror game.
  17. Feb 13, 2013

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.