6.4

1. Sep 9, 2014
    I've played the trilogy and read a lot of reviews saying that is not a scary video game (where you really playing Dead Space 3?) it got me out off my sit constantly as the others did, but i do agree on one thing, i think is ridiculous the amount of ammo you get in this video game maybe for many this is the reason why this game is not that scary, but i can tell you that no matter how much ammo you have s almost impossible not to die at least once. This is a must play video game no doubt. No matter what haters say. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2014
    Auto-save doesn't work and I can't finish 5 chapter. This happens for the first time that I can't finish the game. From what i've seen in 4 chapters game doesn't offers much more.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    Bought this game last year, played through it, exploring as much as possible and actually enjoying it. I was bored a few days ago and decided to blow the dust off this game and have another go. As I played, I noticed quite a few bad things and a few good things. Lets start with good: The story continues, it explains alot more about the markers, the origin of the markers, which I was curious about since Dead Space 1.
    This one could be good or bad: The weapons. New crafting, build what you want. Now, I tired this out a bit. Built around 5-6 new guns, some good, some were just plain trash. After I experimented with it a bit, I found that the new crafting was unnecessary to me. I found the pulse rifle blueprint and never touched the crafting again. Some people like it, some don't, its your choice.
    Another good thing: Locations. The wrecked hulls of ships, bunkers, blood stained hallways filled with corpses. The space floating was a welcome change. Flying among the wreckage, avoiding mines was interesting. The bunkers and hallways, same Dead Space touch.
    Now the bad: The enemies. Some people might disagree, but I felt that the enemies were bullet sponges. Dead Space 1 and 2, the enemies on Casual were pretty easy. Here, they felt like I was playing Impossible.
    Another bad: The spawn system: When I was playing, I noticed that the enemies would swarm me ALOT. Seemed like every 3rd room I entered, I would be swarmed by 20-30 enemies. It got to the point where the swarming was no longer making me cautious but was actually making me mad. "Kill 30 enemies, walk 20 feet, get swarmed and kill 30 more". After that happening 10 times in an hour, you start to lose interest in the game.
    The weapons: They feel very underpowered. Example: The pulse rifle in Dead Space 2, that was great. I could mow down enemies and still have some rounds left. Now, I unload 2 clips into a single enemy and he just laughs at me.
    One last bad thing then I will stop ranting: The game: I lost track of how many times toward the middle and end of the game that I went over the same spots I just went over. I remember one spot though. You meet up with Santo, she tells you about some way to find the signal, and you run out the door you just came in, go outside where you just were, only you turn a different direction..why couldn't she tell me to get this stuff when I was outside instead of running all the way inside -_-. In my opinion, the developers ran out of ideas and made us go over the same spots to make the game seem longer then it really is.
    Over all, the game is good, but the bad things I listed just make the game a grind to get to the next point. If your a hardcore Dead Space fan, buy it for the story. If your not a fan, skip it and move to something else.
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand
  5. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  6. Aug 5, 2014
    I'm no 'h8r' or a 'butthurt horror fan'. I'm just a guy who loved DS and enjoyed DS2. So I gladly borrowed it from a friend to check out this new entry on the series. Am I glad I didn't buy it! On to the game: I know they tried to add some stuff, like crafting and coop, and they were good ideas but were poorly executed and ended up being bland and a chore, I mean, some weapons end up being weaker than your trusty Plasma cutter (TM), which is still useless because strategic dismemberment is gone. Enemies take lots of ammo to take down, with or without limbs, and the game balances your enormous damage income by giving you tons of medkits. Seriously? What's the point of making enemies more powerful so that you need more health boosters? Is it to encourage teamwork? Because it did not, and getting both of us in constant need of revives made the game even more frustrating. On top of that, controls seem a bit unresponsive and some abilities have been messed with. Anyway, I see people praising the story, which would have been good had it been more prominent. In fact, in the 7 chapters I played, I didn't get any of it because it was simply uninteresting. I really didn't care about it at all. So with that in mind, what else is left to maintain it's honour? The mechanics are fine since they haven't changed, for good or bad, and the graphics have worsened a bit. The blood and gore is awful as it was on it's predecessor so there's no real fun in the process of annihilating the enemies. Enemies, did you say? Yes! Apparently now there are some crazy Unitologists that want to kill Isaac and the other guy because they can turning this into another wanna be RE4 that turns out like RE5, with lots of dull, action, no horror and few real great moments. What's funny is that these are actually better than the necromorphs but they are still meh. I could go on but I think it's pretty clear EA has given us an unfinished game with a bad story (I looked up the ending) and mediocre visuals and gameplay. Expand
  7. Jul 27, 2014
    Around the time Dead Space was released some people said it was the game Resident Evil 5 should have been. Something that didn't trade horror for action. Unfortunately it seems the same thing that happened to Resident Evil has now reached the Dead Space series. Dead Space 3 is an action game not a horror game.

There are some horror elements but nothing like in the first two games of the
    series. There is also co-op in the game which in order to be accommodated takes Dead Space 3 even further away from its horror roots. Some parts of the story can only be experienced in co-op mode and single-player folks are just expected to deal with it.

There are also microtransactions in Dead Space 3. Taking you out of the game into a store that tries to sell you stuff for actual money rather than fictional in-game currency. This raises the question of whether elements of the game have been made more tedious (than they otherwise would be) on purpose to encourage players to make use of microtransactions to get things done.

It’s a shame to see a once great series fade away like this and become just another action game. There are enough such games out there already. Trying to be everything for everyone meant losing what made the series good in the first place. Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are still worth playing now as much as they were years ago, I'm not sure if I can say the same about DS3 though.
  8. Jul 20, 2014
    Dead space 3 was an alright game, but it's definately better than what people rate it on metacritic. This being my first dead space game, I went in with an open mind wheras people seemed to complained mostly about the lack of horror element in this game, which I agree didn't really exist. The positives of this game was definately the crafting system, very fun and unique to test out different weapon combo's, (although it is limited, so don't expect weapons like dead rising's crafting system). The gameplay itself is a third person shooter game with decent mechanics, there were some exciting moment's but also some boring moment's throughout the game. Now the story wasn't really that bad, but it also didn't suck me in, so there's that. Overall it's an borderline ok-good game, but I realized that this game doesn't really do anything extraordinary, they do some things ok-good but that's it, it never pushes the game to great heights. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game I have played in my entire life. Half of it is decent and the other half is frustratingly broken. I got this game for Free from PS Plus and I want my money back!
  10. Jul 13, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is a pretty good third installment but the story was a little boring and the love triangle seemed forced. All in all I like Dead Space 2 more.
  11. Jul 7, 2014
    Dead Space 3, well, is a good enough game, although not as good as Dead Space 1&2. Due to the greedy EA's policy, the game has been split up on several DLCs. While many of those DLCs have just minor effect on the game play, the biggest one, the "Awakening", is a *direct sequel* to the main plot of the game. Got it? EA is trying to sell the part of the game that should have been included in the minimum package! Disgusting!
    Also, so named additional missions are almost identical from geometrical point of view. I mean, they are very, very similar to each one; the only difference is just enemies and loot. Meh.
    The giant spider boss is too enduring, and he is almost the only one boss in the game! Meh, once again.
    Bottom line: buy the game at your own risk. I'd recommend to buy a GOTY/DC/Gold/Platinum version (if they will ever appear) of the game, including at least the "Awakening" DLC. Otherwise, you'll just miss the final part of the game.
  12. Jul 4, 2014
    It feels more like an action title than a survival horror. It has a no-snap cover system that isn't an improvement. If you have played the other two, you will know how and when it will scare you, and what puzzles to expect. Weapons and co-op are the real stars, but even they don't shine too brightly. DS1>DS2>DS3.
  13. Mar 21, 2014
    Pretty decent game, has a strong opening sequence, and strong characters, each with their own seemingly unique personalities. Not, however, entirely memorable or anything deserving of extremely high scores such as 9's or 10's.

The games swap and choose weapon customisation is well thought out and works pretty effectively, although the micro transactions get in the way, and this is a
    pretty large downfall of the game, despite not making a huge impact on the structure and gameplay itself.

The story seems pretty cliche, but they worked with what they had, and in the end I found running around on the frozen planet, not to mention flying around in semi-open space environments, rather satisfying, even when it was, at times, rather difficult. The story ended in a cliffhanger, seemingly a setup for a fourth, which doesn't strictly make sense to me (trilogies are always so neat...), though this could merely be my own speculation.

In the end, the gameplay was tricky, but only just fell short of the survival horror label that Dead Space deserves, but never seems to achieve. Yes, the game is riddled with quick time events, but these set pieces are merely to set the scene for the next big event.

There are a few new mechanics, including being able to fly the ship through the rubble when landing on Tau Volantis (ignore my spelling, please), a couple new puzzle mechanics, and the simple "get to cover or you'll freeze to death" concept when finally on the planet.

The game doesn't really offer the same scares that the originals did (in fact, far from it), but it still puts you in tense positions, dark corridors, and fatal situations. It works for me, but people deserve to point out that this is more of an action shooter than a survival horror, and I must agree; a lot of battling human enemies makes the horror aspect almost non existent, and I wished they'd focused more on genuine scares and panic situations, but there you go, I guess. EA at work. On the plus side, there is still plenty of hunter-hunted action, so people shouldn't get too down in that respect.

There are a lot of upgrades, different weapon customisations, and various suits, which keep the game going for a while, and allow for multiple playthroughs, to collect all audio logs, complete all side missions, and upgrade all equipment whilst at the same time testing out a plethora of different weapons. This, at least, was executed perfectly.

Overall, DS3 is a pretty solid game, once you get beyond it's deceiving outer shell and title. If they named it something else, I'm sure it would have been a far less bitter pill to swallow for all those die hard DS fans out there, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is anyway. Story ended up being actually worth something, horror aspects are not all gone, a lot of collectibles, tensions are still high, dark corridors are still there, creepy atmosphere has not gone at all, and co-op only really extends this experience. I can't disagree with what people are saying, but I still found this game wholly enjoyable, and I feel many others may also do so. Buy at your own discretion, but I personally found this to be a pretty worthwhile game.
  14. Feb 2, 2014
    Great game. loooooooooooooooooooong game play. Big improvement over Dead Space 2. I still think original Dead Space is the best but DS3 is awesome nontheless. CO-Op is awesome as well. Overall money well spent. love this game.
  15. Feb 2, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is an awesome game and a fantastic way to end the trilogy! There are so many things about this game that are great, so i'm gonna get the bad things out of the way first. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of competitive multiplayer, now I'm not normally a multiplayer kinda guy but i really enjoyed it in Dead Space 2 and wish it had been included here. Second is the mission structure, now don't get me wrong the game is incredibly fun! However, the fetch quest type structure of the missions really started to get on my nerves after a while. Lastly, the lack of Isaacs dementia. I feel like the element of Isaac loosing his sanity was what made the story in the second game so compelling! Even though the story in three is very good i feel like that element could have made it as great as the story in the second. Now, with all that out of the way let me tell you why this game is so good! It has the same amazing combat that we know and love plus the addition of customizable weapons! Second, it has crazy set pieces that are just as if not more over the top that in Dead Space 2! Lastly is the characters. Isaac is better than ever and if you have a buddy to play John Carver you are in for a real treat! Carver is a fantastic character and when you put him and Isaac together it just makes it even better! Also, the games villain is not bad either, he ads a sense of urgency and hatred toward a human enemy that the previous games lacked. All in all its not quite as good as Dead Space 2, however that shouldn't keep you away because this is an awesome finale that needs to be experienced by all sci-fi and Dead Space fans! Expand
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan. But before I sound bias, let me say how disappointed I was in this game. It starts out great; it has jumps and scares, but loses momentum throughout the game. The ending is key. Without spoiling anything, lets just say that in the final 1/3 of the game, Dead Space takes a bold leap into what it doesn't know; Sci-fi. The latter half of the game still has great core-gameplay, but the story makes you think whether or not you enjoy what you're doing, and that's bad. The story drops off into the almost ridiculous and tries to go after a new market. Sure, the game is about killing alien zombies, but when it takes a turn to the "bigger" game, it falls and doesn't quite make the "better" mark. I wish Dead Space would've stuck to what it knows best; scares. In all honesty, the last part isn't scary, just confusing. With great graphics and gun play, it's a shame they tried to focus on story. All in all, it's a good game, but not what I had come to expect from a Dead Space game. Expand
  17. Jan 19, 2014
    Not much words about this game. I stopped playing and having hopes on chapter 6, so can't say how it was until ending. But it was not worth to try more. Seems EA ruin every game they touch. In DS3 they changed everything good in First 2 games. Atmosphere, weapon crafting and endless pointless unskipable cut scenes are major changes which was enough to ruin whole game. So, rather replay few more times DS1 and DS2 than even try to play that!!! Expand
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    First of all I must admit as a Dead Space game this isn't as good as Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 there are many times where the game will scare the crap out of you. I remember in one session I was re-investigating the hangar where the Ishimura is docked but there is no light on. I was so scared that I had to grab a light in the environment and move on with it. Not only are scary stuff all over the place the enemy AI was exceptional too.
    In dead space 3 however, the game is much less thrilling. I'm not saying its not scary at all, but far less so than its prequel. Enemy AI can be frustratingly bad at times: I have seen necromorphs running toward a wall while its already at it and ramming its head on the wall that it seems to think is me. But the game is fully functional most of the time; in my playthru the said experience only happened once.

But let's look at the bright side: Dead Space 3 contains much more action elements than Dead Space 2 just like how they were improved in Mass Effect 3. Mini games are a welcome addition, but the biggest improvement in Dead Space 3 has to be the weapon crafting system. With two tools and accessories there are infinite possible combinations for ur weapon, the only thing u can rely on in this dark universe. From regular assault rifle to chain lightning generator that slows enemy on impact, there are so many guns for u to explore! I must be honest: I had more fun with the variety of guns in Dead Space 3 then I did in Borderlands 2, which I played 500+ hours on Steam.
    Dead Space 3 is a third person shooter instead of a survival horror game. Enemies spawn in much larger hordes, forcing u to build better weapons to deal with them. The Dead Space trademark dissembling system does exist, but dissembling becomes less effective since the enemy number has gone up exponentially and the weapons more powerful.
    U will be disappointed if u were looking for a horror game, but if ur an action fan, Dead Space 3 is definitely the game to go for with its immersive universe, badass arsenal and an interesting enough story.
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    Just this one time, I know it's tempting to just follow the crowd, but please ignore the internet. If you loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 then Dead Space 3 will not disappoint. The change of pace is a welcome addition, the light RPG elements from the previous games have been refined and for some bizzare reason the open spaces are more terrifying than the enclosed spaces. The co-op is solid in execution but it does tend to take away 85% of the scare factor. But Dead Space 3 is awesome in a terrifying way, in the same respect that Dead Space 2 was terrifying in an awesome way. Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2013
    One thing to make clear I only played single player, so the co-op experience might be different.
    Out of the three main Dead Space games for me this is the worst one. Although it's not bad, I feel disappointed. This is mainly because the story and atmosphere are less interesting and do not build up tension as well as the second Dead Space did. Cutscenes in which the player didn't know if
    Isaac was going crazy or possessed were substituted with some trivial lovers quarrel. The second important thing is the gameplay resources in previous games were quite sparse, but in this entry you usually have more ammo and health packs laying about, than you can pick up. There is very little point in saving them for later or even avoiding damage much, just fire away (normal difficulty).
    One last thing besides co-op I didn't notice this game bringing in much new stuff except for the weapon crafting (which is alright, but nothing special).

Still, it is a good game it just doesn't live up to its predecessors.
  21. Nov 6, 2013
    I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. They were different from Dead Space 3. DS1 had a lot of dark corners and the sense of "What is going to come at me next?". After the second game or movie in a horror franchise, you lose that sense. The only logical solution is to abandon the franchise, or turn to action. In the first two games i felt like i was the underdog. After surviving 2 necromorph outbreaks I naturally felt like a badass come Dead Space 3. More of an action game, I felt that it was a natural progression for the series. I like the customization this time around. I like the new suits, even though they literally are only aesthetics this time around. I have very little to complain about, aside from the plot which felt a little weak, and had some minor plot-holes. Expand
  22. Nov 3, 2013
    Had some elements of the previous two games like the space exploration, really did capture an atmosphere at times, but unfortunately doesn't take it too long to turn into just another generic 3rd person shooter. covered by a AAA status
  23. Oct 28, 2013
    As a die-hard fan of all things Dead Space, I can say that this is the best entry yet. It furthers the story of Isaac Clarke perfectly without drawn-out cut scenes to slow gameplay. Controls are solid and the new weapon system never leaves you bored. My suggestion though, is to spike up the difficulty when you play for that survival feel.
  24. Aug 23, 2013
    This is where the Dead Space franchise begins it's descent into the action genre.
    This game can still be scary, but the stronger weapons, faster controls and co-op support take most of it away. The game's story is again great, better than the other two main games even, and there are more characters this time, though their backstories are limited. (Though some comics and books have been
    made detailing some characters, including Carver) The major point that shows the action this has turned into is the inclusion of human enemies. Luckily, these fights don't happen too often.
    I think this is a great game, if you're a fan of Dead Space, get it, but it has ruined my hopes for Dead Space 4 to be fantastic.
  25. Aug 17, 2013
    After playing through this game a 2nd time I really think it is a good game but doesn't hit the standard Dead Space 1 showed us. I feel that this game is really too cinematic and action packed. At times I really felt over powered and a bit frustrated considering the pace of the game but thats just how it played out. The story took an unusual turn but I wont spoil anything for anyone that hasn't played it yet. This game was very cinematic in my opinion as I always felt in horror games "dead" silence in corridors was always more tense than an orchestra in the background. To finish up I think there was definitely alot of effort put into this game and it is still fun but sadly the horror aspect of it just isn't there. 7/10 Expand
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a long departure from the original Dead Space. It is not a survival/horror type game. This is a third person shooter all the way. I played for an hour before I returned it to Gamefly. The characters are boring and the fighting is extremely clunky. The music of the game is dull and sound fx are nothing to remember. But I think I am jaded by the original game. A newer generation gamer who hasn't played the first one would like this game. Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    Co-op elements remove the fear factor in the game, put is still fun. Game is pretty short and story is uninteresting unless your a die hard dead space fan. Save your money folks.
  28. Jun 5, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed playing Dead Space 3 with a friend. The weapon customization system is well done and provides extra incentive for exploration and resource grinding. The combat is comfortable and entertaining, varied enemies and weapon choices keep it fresh throughout. How ever I found the survival horror promise lacking, I never found myself hanging on the edge of my seat so to speak. This could be an effect of playing with a friend, but the game lacked the tension of previous Dead Space games. I recommend this game to anyone looking for a fun co-op game to kick around with a friend. Expand
  29. Jun 5, 2013
    first off this game has amazing graphics like pretty good graphics. now people say this game has lost its horror aspect no it has not when your playing on anthing normal or past that and a whole bunch of the aliens and you are out of ammo and heath packs and if you get with one shot and your running away you will freak out and start standing up and cheering your self on. now for the new weapon building i didnt like it at first but then i got more into it then ended up loving it. the suits are amazing i love the suits. now one tip i will give you if you dont do this you will hate the ending so watch until the credits are done like i did. evrything they did was peferct but the game does take a while to kick in about right when you get to the planet is when it gets intense and i couldnt stop playing. now i played on normal and it took 13 hours to beat it but i didnt do all the side quests so it might be like a 15 hour game. get this game if your a big fan of dead space i have played all of them and the 3rd and 2nd are tied to be the best even though i loved the first one see you on the next review Expand
  30. May 26, 2013
    Dead space 3 was a big jump for the series i had low expectations at first thinking it could have been ruined by adding re designing it into a co op game. While i have to say i still prefer a solo story campaign and a totally separate multiplayer that i loved playing in dead space 2. DS3 co op actually plays great the game is good with benchmark graphics and sound work while co op has removed the scare factor the game i still challenging which is good. Enemies no longer respawn in areas you have visited which is why there are no more random scares. the main scenes are now more strictly scripted do to the constraints of co op but over-all i loved the 20 hours plus i put into my first play- thru wether i was sending the new resource bots on a seek and find mission or the hours spent at the workbench creating different weapons from blueprints or original ones there is always plenty too do. And while not a survival horror outing for dead space this time i still enjoyed the game greatly. the game deserves playing by anyone who loves a good action shooter with over the top action Expand

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.