Dead Space 3 PlayStation 3

6.4

1. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Dead Space 1 but being very dissapointed by Dead Space 2 while also seeing the trailers of the third game seem to even stray more to an action oriented approach, I wasn't pumped for the franchise anymore. It seemed like the game was heading down the Resident Evil 6 path. i still had hope and really wanted it to blow me away like the original, but I had been badly burnedBeing a huge fan of Dead Space 1 but being very dissapointed by Dead Space 2 while also seeing the trailers of the third game seem to even stray more to an action oriented approach, I wasn't pumped for the franchise anymore. It seemed like the game was heading down the Resident Evil 6 path. i still had hope and really wanted it to blow me away like the original, but I had been badly burned before. Well I have good news. Really good news. REALLY REALLY good news. THE GAME IS AWESOME!!!!! I've been having a blast playing it so far. I have been playing it solo, and they have perfected the dead space formula. This is the best dead space yet. It combines the strengths of both the first and second games while adding fresh ideas, all of which are superbly executed. There are many awesome aspects of the game, but the one that stands out the most is the atmosphere of the game. From the very start of the game, Dead Space 3 engrosses you in its world, you feel like you are in this universe. The graphics have been improved, there's amazing lighting effects, amazing particle effects, enemies are more horrifying than ever before. Level Design is top notch, Sound Design is brilliant, Soundtrack is one of the best I've heard and fits the game like a glove, Narrative pushes the game forward more so than 1 and 2, amazing action set pieces all in real time, tight controls, the new weapon customization is awesome, the game brings back the mystery, uneasiness, horror, and scares of the first game but imo, even better this time. Everything about the game comes together so well, its just a blast to play this game. EA really nailed the Dead Space universe in this game. You get to see a bigger picture of the universe this time around. Also, the game has a very Blade Runner and Alien feel to it, so if you are fans of those movies, you should definitely pick this game up. I was a bit hesitant about picking this up reading the mixed reviews from critics and users on here, but the game does not disappoint. This game was made for the Dead Space fans out there. The way the game has masterfully intertwined survival horror, survival action, and narrative, I never want to go back to strictly survival horror again. The way they have implemented all of these aspects into the game have really helped the flow of the game. As much as I liked Dead Space 1, its overall structure became predictable and tedious. Dead Space 3 follows more of a narrative arc and the gameplay revolves around that narrative. It helps to keep gameplay fresh and unexpected. Bottom Line: This isn't simply one of the best Survival Horror games ever made, its one of the best sci fi games ever made. While DS1's main attraction was survival horror, DS2's main attraction being survival action, DS3's main attraction is its universe. So if you are a fan of Sci Fi or Horror or better yet Sci Fi/Horror, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice passing this game up! Special Thanks to EA's Visceral Games for making one of the best games I've ever played and an amazing, 'visceral' experience :D Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    Per other users' feedbacks, I had the impression the whole micro-transactions thing was more abusive and annoying. It's not. I mean, it's there, of course, and if you have the cash you can save the trouble of farming for resources. But it's a very discrete thing, meaning the core mechanics are not disrupted by this at all. Now, about the game itself. I don't think it deviates from itsPer other users' feedbacks, I had the impression the whole micro-transactions thing was more abusive and annoying. It's not. I mean, it's there, of course, and if you have the cash you can save the trouble of farming for resources. But it's a very discrete thing, meaning the core mechanics are not disrupted by this at all. Now, about the game itself. I don't think it deviates from its origins, by all means. The first acts, as a matter of fact, did remind me of the first entry and, as I traversed the narrow, dark corridors of the spaceship I got a (delicious) déjà vu. I do agree they added more action to this game which, unfortunately, cuts a bit of the thrills and scares (but it doesn't cripple the game pun not intended). Dead Space 3 is still a very compelling, scary game with a haunting atmosphere and a main character we learned to love through the course of the years. It suffers from the occasional... Uncharted-Lost Planet complex? Yes, it does. But after you get used to it, you realize the Necromorphs are there, they are thirsty, hungry, angry and scary as ever. So, by the end of the day, this is still a fantastic Dead Space game we are playing. Period. Expand
  3. Feb 2, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is an awesome game and a fantastic way to end the trilogy! There are so many things about this game that are great, so i'm gonna get the bad things out of the way first. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of competitive multiplayer, now I'm not normally a multiplayer kinda guy but i really enjoyed it in Dead Space 2 and wish it had been included here. Second isDead Space 3 is an awesome game and a fantastic way to end the trilogy! There are so many things about this game that are great, so i'm gonna get the bad things out of the way first. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of competitive multiplayer, now I'm not normally a multiplayer kinda guy but i really enjoyed it in Dead Space 2 and wish it had been included here. Second is the mission structure, now don't get me wrong the game is incredibly fun! However, the fetch quest type structure of the missions really started to get on my nerves after a while. Lastly, the lack of Isaacs dementia. I feel like the element of Isaac loosing his sanity was what made the story in the second game so compelling! Even though the story in three is very good i feel like that element could have made it as great as the story in the second. Now, with all that out of the way let me tell you why this game is so good! It has the same amazing combat that we know and love plus the addition of customizable weapons! Second, it has crazy set pieces that are just as if not more over the top that in Dead Space 2! Lastly is the characters. Isaac is better than ever and if you have a buddy to play John Carver you are in for a real treat! Carver is a fantastic character and when you put him and Isaac together it just makes it even better! Also, the games villain is not bad either, he ads a sense of urgency and hatred toward a human enemy that the previous games lacked. All in all its not quite as good as Dead Space 2, however that shouldn't keep you away because this is an awesome finale that needs to be experienced by all sci-fi and Dead Space fans! Expand
  4. May 25, 2013
    Critics complaining about the game being action-packed and not being scary are idiots! This is the BEST Dead Space in the franchise! Its an outstanding game from beginning to end hands down!
  5. May 27, 2015
    Very good. I'm very late to play this series, but Dead Space 3 is a good follow on from Dead Space 1 and 2. The story is a logical progression, but personally I didn't like it quite as much as the previous games (especially the opening act). Graphics are again excellent, even by current standards, Controls are still logical and smooth - I can complete it on 'normal' difficulty and I'm noVery good. I'm very late to play this series, but Dead Space 3 is a good follow on from Dead Space 1 and 2. The story is a logical progression, but personally I didn't like it quite as much as the previous games (especially the opening act). Graphics are again excellent, even by current standards, Controls are still logical and smooth - I can complete it on 'normal' difficulty and I'm no shooter expert., but I did find it a bit tougher than 1 and 2. I didn't like the equipment upgrade mechanism as much as the one in the previous games, but that just personal preference. Gameplay is again well balanced from start to finish even though the monsters feel a bit faster and smarter than previous games. Expand
  6. Sep 9, 2014
    I've played the trilogy and read a lot of reviews saying that is not a scary video game (where you really playing Dead Space 3?) it got me out off my sit constantly as the others did, but i do agree on one thing, i think is ridiculous the amount of ammo you get in this video game maybe for many this is the reason why this game is not that scary, but i can tell you that no matter how muchI've played the trilogy and read a lot of reviews saying that is not a scary video game (where you really playing Dead Space 3?) it got me out off my sit constantly as the others did, but i do agree on one thing, i think is ridiculous the amount of ammo you get in this video game maybe for many this is the reason why this game is not that scary, but i can tell you that no matter how much ammo you have s almost impossible not to die at least once. This is a must play video game no doubt. No matter what haters say. Expand
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. They were different from Dead Space 3. DS1 had a lot of dark corners and the sense of "What is going to come at me next?". After the second game or movie in a horror franchise, you lose that sense. The only logical solution is to abandon the franchise, or turn to action. In the first two games i felt like i was the underdog. After surviving 2 necromorphI loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. They were different from Dead Space 3. DS1 had a lot of dark corners and the sense of "What is going to come at me next?". After the second game or movie in a horror franchise, you lose that sense. The only logical solution is to abandon the franchise, or turn to action. In the first two games i felt like i was the underdog. After surviving 2 necromorph outbreaks I naturally felt like a badass come Dead Space 3. More of an action game, I felt that it was a natural progression for the series. I like the customization this time around. I like the new suits, even though they literally are only aesthetics this time around. I have very little to complain about, aside from the plot which felt a little weak, and had some minor plot-holes. Expand
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    Great game, great graphics,great co op, large levels, rewarding secondary missions, weapon customizations, a must buy DONOT believe the haters.
    Great game co-op, also a long game which is unusual these days. I finished this game with my American friend, there were minor glitches still apparent from the previous games but nothing to great. I like the weapon building though few weapons work exceptionally well. My custom Bola launcher and force rifle rocket launcher was what I ended the game with. I started with a machine gun shotgun combo that worked so well for so long. Don't really understand the low user score. Storyline gets a little different than the previous games attempting to explain a lot. It's not a bad deal.
  9. May 26, 2013
    Dead space 3 was a big jump for the series i had low expectations at first thinking it could have been ruined by adding re designing it into a co op game. While i have to say i still prefer a solo story campaign and a totally separate multiplayer that i loved playing in dead space 2. DS3 co op actually plays great the game is good with benchmark graphics and sound work while co op hasDead space 3 was a big jump for the series i had low expectations at first thinking it could have been ruined by adding re designing it into a co op game. While i have to say i still prefer a solo story campaign and a totally separate multiplayer that i loved playing in dead space 2. DS3 co op actually plays great the game is good with benchmark graphics and sound work while co op has removed the scare factor the game i still challenging which is good. Enemies no longer respawn in areas you have visited which is why there are no more random scares. the main scenes are now more strictly scripted do to the constraints of co op but over-all i loved the 20 hours plus i put into my first play- thru wether i was sending the new resource bots on a seek and find mission or the hours spent at the workbench creating different weapons from blueprints or original ones there is always plenty too do. And while not a survival horror outing for dead space this time i still enjoyed the game greatly. the game deserves playing by anyone who loves a good action shooter with over the top action Expand
  10. Feb 10, 2015
    Dead Space 3 is one of those games that's been getting a lot of flack recently from fans for taking a route similar to Resident Evil 5, essentially ditching the survival-horror gameplay for a more action-oriented experience. Contrary to popular opinion, I firmly claim that RE5 proved taking the series in a different direction could work successfully, and Dead Space 3 only helps to furtherDead Space 3 is one of those games that's been getting a lot of flack recently from fans for taking a route similar to Resident Evil 5, essentially ditching the survival-horror gameplay for a more action-oriented experience. Contrary to popular opinion, I firmly claim that RE5 proved taking the series in a different direction could work successfully, and Dead Space 3 only helps to further cement my standing.

If you played Dead Space games, you already know how it works. The necromorphs (space-zombies) charge at you with blades for hands and the quickest way for you to take them down is to dismember them, cutting off limb after limb instead of simply pumping them full of bullets. Along with this you have your stasis and kinesis modules, allowing you to slow down your enemies and impale them with sharp narrow projectiles.

The core gameplay largely remains intact, but what keeps DS3 fresh is the biggest tweak; the crafting system. The currency used to buy weapons and armor in the previous titles has been largely removed and swapped out for scrap you use to upgrade your armor and craft your weapons. Crafting weapons is a process that's easy to understand but hard to explain, which is probably the reason Visceral didn't bother adding a meaningful tutorial to walk you through it. It's not hard to figure out so after a little experimentation I was able to craft some absolutely awesome weapons. The way it works is that each individual weapon has room for two guns, meaning you'll be able to use two firearms with one hand.

The only flaws I could see with this is that the weapons don't act independent of each other. You can't fire both simultaneously and each weapon's rate of fire affects the other, so you can't fire your lower gun while your upper gun is still on a cool down which seems to take away one of the potential advantages of having this mechanic in the first place. Also, only having two weapon slots is disappointing.

Overall, the gameplay still remains the same and manages to be just as enjoyable as it was, even in the new action oriented gameplay, and the crafting system while far from perfect adds a surprisingly layer of depth. Your ability to survive against the necromorphs isn't dependent on how much ammo you have and the weapons the game gives you, but instead is based on the weapons you create to combat your foes. The only flaw that hasn't been fixed from Dead Space 2 is the cheap attacks from behind, which is still annoying. Luckily, crafting weapons does help make this flaw much more manageable, but that doesn't excuse it for being there in the first place.

As for the online component, the competitive multiplayer has been swapped for a new cooperative mode. Strictly online with no split-screen, player 2 takes control of Earth gov soldier John Carve, and at first glance, coop seems like a new mechanic that's largely tacked on. However, after playing both campaigns respectively, it's much more thought out than you'd think.

For the most part, cutscenes in the game stay the same, regardless of which mode you're playing, so the game instead adds additional cutscenes and dialogue to enhance the coop experience. Carver himself may just be a simple palate swap, considering he plays and handles just like the main character Isaac, but what makes Carver stand out is his strikingly different personality. Whereas Isaac is more compassionate and sympathetic, Carver is callous and cruel. The mission is the most important thing, and he's willing to sacrifice anyone, including himself to complete it. It's this personality that leads to the more interesting dynamics between Isaac and Carver's partnership. Coop missions have been added in the game as well, allowing for a small subplot that's missing from the single player campaign that centers on Carver dealing with the hallucinations caused by the Aliens. Isaac has already defeated his demons, but Carver is facing all of the guilt he has for what he did to his wife and son, and it's up to Isaac to help him through it. These missions are definitely the best of what the story has to offer, especially considering the turn the story has taken.

Up to this point, Dead Space's lore and story hasn't been hard to understand, but this installment is where the origins of the necromorphs and the markers becomes completely convoluted. After multiple playthroughs, I'm still not completely sure what it was Isaac and Carver were trying to stop by the end.
    There are also a few annoying parts where Carver and Isaac have an annoying lack of reaction to the events happening around them, leading to a few irritating plot holes.

Despite the flaws in story, Dead Space 3's core still remains intact, and with the new tweaks like crafting and coop, DS3 lives up as a worthy game for the franchise. Despite it ditching the horror atmosphere, Dead Space 3 handles the action gameplay well, and it's why the game succeeds where it could've easily failed.
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    Dead space 3......i honestly dont know what to say. what was once a survival horror game is now another shooter.....dont get me wrong, the game has moments of horror but overall its an action shooter sprink(lightly) with horror elements so as usual I'll start with the good:its starts off 200 years in the past with some soldier(i forget his name) who gets one hell of an intro(running from aDead space 3......i honestly dont know what to say. what was once a survival horror game is now another shooter.....dont get me wrong, the game has moments of horror but overall its an action shooter sprink(lightly) with horror elements so as usual I'll start with the good:its starts off 200 years in the past with some soldier(i forget his name) who gets one hell of an intro(running from a burning space ship but is killed by his superior officer. 200 Years later we find clarke who's being told(via phone) his relationship with ella is over. after two guys bust in and force clarke to join them the game begins and for the most part its awesome. I also like the street area's and the graphics are some of the best this generation has to offer! But what i really love about dead space 3 is the crafting system. This is by far the best weapon customising system i have ever played as issac creates all his weapons whether its a plasma gun,a revolver, to heavy weapons with a secondary weapon!! If you want a shotgun with a rocket launcher go head....if you want a flamethrower with an electrified saw that also has acid to compensate the flame damage,you got it!! The sky's the limit here and i have about 10 different weapon combinations so far to decimate the necromorph threat. there's a love triangle in dead space 3 that wasnt bad but it kinda made a lot of parts extremely predictable like the eventual betrayal that happens but its cool.....he got what he deserved. The necromorph and origin of the makers are finally revealed which i thought made sense(this is a sci-fi story after all) but some people didnt like it but its fine....especially when you literally fights the end boss posing as a moon! this game is also long which i thoroughly enjoyed since games nowadays end in about 4-7 hours. Now the bad: lets get this out the way.....this game is too easy. While i want to say:why is this game easy..but i already know the answer!? The weapons you create are OP...PERIOD! This makes it too easy. i started the game on hard difficulty as i do all games and i say this in all honesty....I DIDNT DIE ONCE UNTIL I REACHED CHAPTER 10!! my machine gun/shotgun combo fully upgraded with acid combo along with my flamethrower/grenade launcher with full damage/reload/clip also with acid damage/stasis covered ammo made me an unstoppable killing mahine! Even on hard or impossible,the enemies are nothing but fodder at your feet. i have yet to play survival,classic,retro or hardcore mode but if hard and impossible are easy then you can beat normal r casual with your eyes closed which makes it sad because dead space 1 & 2 were hard on normal and a pain on higher difficulties! Also & probably the worst aspect of dead space 3 is the fact that the horror is ALL BUT GONE!! the creator of the series said that the horror element of dead space 3 is subjective to the player but i disagree, even if i never played dead space 1 or 2 i still would say this is an action thriller instead of a survival horror game! Gone are the constant voices you here when you walk down hallways!! The terror of running out of ammo or health packs have been removed because you can make both said items at the work bench!! there's no need to worry about upgrading your air because you wont be attacked long enough to suffocate in the vaccum of space! Gone are all the enemies fatalities i mean why was that removed? in dead space 1 & 2 issac was tone to shreds in a speical way by different enemies but not here!? He just falls on his back....smh. Isaac's dementia is gone because he recoverd from the hallucinating but since he no longer suffers from the marker's dementia dead space 3 loses its most compelling aspect:the horror....so naturally the horrors gone but it has a few scares but not nearly enough scares compared to dead space 1 & 2! The micro-transactions are not bad because it dosent effect gameplay so you are not forced to buy it! All in all i would give dead space 3 a 6 or 7/10 but the crafting system is amazing so i give it an 8/10 its a good solid action thriller but if you want a survival horror game that offers a challenge without unlocking the harder difficulty by beating it at least once....you might be disappointed!!! Expand
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    At first I didn't understand why this game got such a low score with fans, but now It's clear to me why this is probably the worst dead space game. They dropped one of my favorite modes in dead space 2 (multi-player) and replaced it with co-op instead of just doing both. It felt really slacked for me. 8/10
  13. Jun 5, 2013
    first off this game has amazing graphics like pretty good graphics. now people say this game has lost its horror aspect no it has not when your playing on anthing normal or past that and a whole bunch of the aliens and you are out of ammo and heath packs and if you get with one shot and your running away you will freak out and start standing up and cheering your self on. now for the newfirst off this game has amazing graphics like pretty good graphics. now people say this game has lost its horror aspect no it has not when your playing on anthing normal or past that and a whole bunch of the aliens and you are out of ammo and heath packs and if you get with one shot and your running away you will freak out and start standing up and cheering your self on. now for the new weapon building i didnt like it at first but then i got more into it then ended up loving it. the suits are amazing i love the suits. now one tip i will give you if you dont do this you will hate the ending so watch until the credits are done like i did. evrything they did was peferct but the game does take a while to kick in about right when you get to the planet is when it gets intense and i couldnt stop playing. now i played on normal and it took 13 hours to beat it but i didnt do all the side quests so it might be like a 15 hour game. get this game if your a big fan of dead space i have played all of them and the 3rd and 2nd are tied to be the best even though i loved the first one see you on the next review Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    Fun fun fun fun fun, and awesome graphics. The plot is pretty much trash but that's okay if what you really want in this game is a bucketload of fun and to be able to sit back and get some serious eye candy going on.
  15. Feb 5, 2013
    One major positive aspect is the ability to disassemble and re-use weapon parts, meaning you never have to worry about consuming items in the crafting of a gun. It would have been easy for Visceral to inflict a penalty on players every time they built something, but instead you'll only lose resources by making objects from scratch, not from building guns out of components you already own.
  16. Dec 26, 2013
    First of all I must admit as a Dead Space game this isn't as good as Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 there are many times where the game will scare the crap out of you. I remember in one session I was re-investigating the hangar where the Ishimura is docked but there is no light on. I was so scared that I had to grab a light in the environment and move on with it. Not only are scary stuffFirst of all I must admit as a Dead Space game this isn't as good as Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 there are many times where the game will scare the crap out of you. I remember in one session I was re-investigating the hangar where the Ishimura is docked but there is no light on. I was so scared that I had to grab a light in the environment and move on with it. Not only are scary stuff all over the place the enemy AI was exceptional too.
    In dead space 3 however, the game is much less thrilling. I'm not saying its not scary at all, but far less so than its prequel. Enemy AI can be frustratingly bad at times: I have seen necromorphs running toward a wall while its already at it and ramming its head on the wall that it seems to think is me. But the game is fully functional most of the time; in my playthru the said experience only happened once.

But let's look at the bright side: Dead Space 3 contains much more action elements than Dead Space 2 just like how they were improved in Mass Effect 3. Mini games are a welcome addition, but the biggest improvement in Dead Space 3 has to be the weapon crafting system. With two tools and accessories there are infinite possible combinations for ur weapon, the only thing u can rely on in this dark universe. From regular assault rifle to chain lightning generator that slows enemy on impact, there are so many guns for u to explore! I must be honest: I had more fun with the variety of guns in Dead Space 3 then I did in Borderlands 2, which I played 500+ hours on Steam.
    Dead Space 3 is a third person shooter instead of a survival horror game. Enemies spawn in much larger hordes, forcing u to build better weapons to deal with them. The Dead Space trademark dissembling system does exist, but dissembling becomes less effective since the enemy number has gone up exponentially and the weapons more powerful.
    U will be disappointed if u were looking for a horror game, but if ur an action fan, Dead Space 3 is definitely the game to go for with its immersive universe, badass arsenal and an interesting enough story.
  17. Feb 2, 2014
    Great game. loooooooooooooooooooong game play. Big improvement over Dead Space 2. I still think original Dead Space is the best but DS3 is awesome nontheless. CO-Op is awesome as well. Overall money well spent. love this game.
  18. Mar 4, 2013
    this is a great game, top notch graphics, improved gameplay, amazing game, better than most games released 4 sure, don't know why ppl don't like it, maybe cuz a lil more action but the game is really aaa title
  19. Mar 21, 2013
    After 3 games the chills of not knowing what was coming for you around the next corridor no longer hold the same scares, but the great atmosphere and gameplay allow this one to hold its own with the last two. The gun crafting is interesting and the game does a good job of mixing some old school Dead Space (especially the first few hours before planet fall) with some nice setpiece moments.After 3 games the chills of not knowing what was coming for you around the next corridor no longer hold the same scares, but the great atmosphere and gameplay allow this one to hold its own with the last two. The gun crafting is interesting and the game does a good job of mixing some old school Dead Space (especially the first few hours before planet fall) with some nice setpiece moments. A solid 8.5 for me. Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is awesome, many new ideas were introduced and added and the game was longer than the other games in the series. It was a fun and awesome experience playing as Isaac Clarke once again. The thing that most people can pretty much agree on is that the game didn't have much if what everyone else wanted to see, the scary and horror parts of the game, there really wasn't much due toThis game is awesome, many new ideas were introduced and added and the game was longer than the other games in the series. It was a fun and awesome experience playing as Isaac Clarke once again. The thing that most people can pretty much agree on is that the game didn't have much if what everyone else wanted to see, the scary and horror parts of the game, there really wasn't much due to the fact that the game was more biased on story more than horror, but I am open to new ideas and won't crucify them due to it, it was a cool thing to do. I wont say more for spoiler sake but I highly recommend getting this game. Expand
  21. Feb 11, 2013
    Just beat the game tonight! And I have beaten part 1 and 2 as well! Honestly, if you enjoyed DS1 DS2, you should really, really enjoy part 3. Yes, the opening has action but after the very beginning you fall right back into how DS1 2 were. The entire game had me staring down openings where the aliens could enter in! The weapon crafting is wonderful, I loved the node system and was scaredJust beat the game tonight! And I have beaten part 1 and 2 as well! Honestly, if you enjoyed DS1 DS2, you should really, really enjoy part 3. Yes, the opening has action but after the very beginning you fall right back into how DS1 2 were. The entire game had me staring down openings where the aliens could enter in! The weapon crafting is wonderful, I loved the node system and was scared when I heard they changed it but after using it I'm so happy they mixed it up! Definitely a very, very great game! Expand
  22. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan, and when I finished this last game I felt a sense of accomplishment. Its not as scary as the first two entries in the series and a lot of fans will be extremely upset about that. But you play this one for the story because it is as unforgettable as ever. And the graphics are the series highpoint and anyone can appreciate that.
  23. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. so i played part 3 of one of my favorite games titles of all time. it wasn't as good as part 2 or 1. that said it is still a great game. i loved isaac, the story, the ending pissed me off which makes it a good story, it wasn't too hard on easy(i'm older), the graphics were great, the missions were enjoyable, the ships were interesting to be on, it had a dead space feel for sure. i liked the uber, but they didn't overdo it. it felt real as i played it, and it was good for 23 hours of fun. the access to replay chapters and some other improvements made it a great game. the scavenger bots were cute too. now for the cons, it wasn't scary most of the time, it became a little obnoxious with the abundance of necromorphs, to the point that occasionally it was predictable and they actually interrupted a great story, it dragged just a touch three quarters into it, the weapons building program was not that great, but okay. i preferred the classic weapons from part2. BUT i still loved the game and the replay value is very high. this game deserves no lower than 6.5 if you hate the series but an 8.5 if you are a fan. if part 2 gets a 10, 1 gets a 9, and 3 gets an 8.5, well worth owning and playing. Collapse
  24. Feb 12, 2013
    Wow... that is all that needs to be said. This game blows the previous two Dead Space titles out of the water. The bar has been raised to the ultimate. The additions of weapon editing, co-op, optional missions, and improved gameplay is a VERY welcomed addition. The soundtrack and story for the most part is excellent. The atmosphere and look of the world is amazing. There are so many bigWow... that is all that needs to be said. This game blows the previous two Dead Space titles out of the water. The bar has been raised to the ultimate. The additions of weapon editing, co-op, optional missions, and improved gameplay is a VERY welcomed addition. The soundtrack and story for the most part is excellent. The atmosphere and look of the world is amazing. There are so many big moments and set pieces that I had to go back just to play it again. It's a shame too, because the demo left a bad taste in my mouth, but after picking up the full game my mind was blown. This is one of the best games I've played in a long time and it's such a shame that it's sitting at a 78 metacritic rating, because it deserves a MUCH higher score. Thank you Visceral Games. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    I loved Dead Space 3 and still playing it, I thought it was a bit easy at first with the first 4 chapters done in like minutes, then came a lot of enemies in their hordes, got are they a pain, haha, but fun anyway I think a lot of these negative results are players being a bit too picky, I love the idea of climbing mountains as well. I think just cause it has altered slightly horror toI loved Dead Space 3 and still playing it, I thought it was a bit easy at first with the first 4 chapters done in like minutes, then came a lot of enemies in their hordes, got are they a pain, haha, but fun anyway I think a lot of these negative results are players being a bit too picky, I love the idea of climbing mountains as well. I think just cause it has altered slightly horror to more action, that some players feel that is wasn't up to scratch, but, I think it is a good game overall. Expand
  26. Feb 20, 2013
    How bad are the micro-transactions? They're totally inobtrusive, and purchaseable via an in-game currency (ration seals) that renders them pointless. It's there if you absolutely need better weapons right away, but the game is never so challenging that you're forced to buy anything out of desperation. Day-one DLC, bummer, right? All of the DLC available on day one is either superficial orHow bad are the micro-transactions? They're totally inobtrusive, and purchaseable via an in-game currency (ration seals) that renders them pointless. It's there if you absolutely need better weapons right away, but the game is never so challenging that you're forced to buy anything out of desperation. Day-one DLC, bummer, right? All of the DLC available on day one is either superficial or useless (all of the bot DLC is a complete waste). Again, completely avoidable, just an option. Co-op? It's not scary then? Visceral clearly crafted Dead Space 3 as a primarily single-player game; it's co-op option is just that, an option. It's a lot of fun taking on Necromorphs with a friend, but it does diminish the scare factor. However, the teamwork-based puzzles actually gain tension in cooperative play by requiring steel nerves under pressure. Single-player puzzles are dunce-cap worthy in comparison. Still, despite the lack of psychological terror as in previous entries, taking on a Necromorph onslaught alone is just as terrifying in DS3 as it was in DS1 and DS2. Human enemies? This is b*llsh*t!!! Calm down. Human enemies, a first for the franchise, are a necessary evil extending from the story. Without them, the Unitologist movement would have nary a presence in the game, which would have been crippling to the story. However, the AI is atrocious. Necromorphs are merciless and semi-intelligent. Unitologist soldiers are wandering body bags of brainless meat. It's still fun to sit back and watch a group of Necromorphs tear them apart. In the end, this entry has the same level of polish as previous entries, weapon crafting is intially clumsy and annoying but ultimately satisfying in its' depth, the story is better than DS1 but far less psychological and engaging than DS2; and, finally, all of the concerns of fans are understandable, but, thankfully, unfounded. Enjoy a great game, avoid the superfluous fodder of DLC. Expand
  27. Feb 7, 2013
    Sure, the game has some nasty optional microtransactions, and its a bit sad you cant choose classic, hardcore or pure survival from the get go (http://imgur.com/ZF5C7nz) but its still a dead space game. If youre a fan of both DS and DS2, this is a no brainer in my opinion! Only completed it alone so far btw.
  28. Mar 4, 2013
    Of the 4 full length Dead Space titles out, this one comes in 3rd. The gameplay is tight, aiming and shooting off limbs is precise. There are a few scary/creepy moment through out the game, which is always welcome in a Dead Space game. One of my few beefs with this game is that there is no local multiplayer. The weapons crafting is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it is moreOf the 4 full length Dead Space titles out, this one comes in 3rd. The gameplay is tight, aiming and shooting off limbs is precise. There are a few scary/creepy moment through out the game, which is always welcome in a Dead Space game. One of my few beefs with this game is that there is no local multiplayer. The weapons crafting is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it is more customizable. A pretty long campaign 8-10 hours, the game starts off mediocre but right around the 6 or 7th chapter it starts getting really good. Tons to do and find in this game, definitely a must buy. Expand
  29. Feb 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved Dead Space 1 and 2, but I never did manage to get my game buddy to try either of them out. I even bought it a copy of both and put them into his collection of games. He never did 'get around to them'.

However, Dead Space 3 comes out and now we're playing together, on day-one release day. It's a miracle. It's got to be the biggest Co-Op game to date... I would have guessed Resident Evil 5 before this. And that game was all-in-all very weak. Most Co-Op games have big gaps in the story telling in places where there just aren't 2 players in the storyline. Dead Space 3 does a damn good job of making both players and the cutscenes intertwined. I was impressed how it just wan't "Hero in green pants" and "Hero in red pants". Both characters have a backstory and are actively engaging the plot of the story. It's a well-done touch. Lastly, Dead Space 3 is not the same exact terrifying romp the other two games were. But as an action adventure title it's still as good as or in most cases far better than anything else you'll play this year. The weapons are awesome and the big action scenes are Epic !!!

I whole-heartedly RECOMMEND this game... it's light on the terror but heavy on the FUN. So what you gonna do... play a great game in the Dead Space universe. And dream about what all will be possible in Dead Space 4 now that the game is finally going to earn the sales it's always deserved !!!
    It's a stepping stone, and a lot of fun along the way. It rests on the heels of the absolutely amazing Dead Space 2, except now you can CO-Op with your friends. A new story, few new monsters, a new planet, Isaac, Elle, the plama cutter gun, and a very tight Co-Op experience.
  30. Mar 19, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a master of a game. Full of scares, action sequences and great visuals. As someone who has only glimpsed looks at Dead Space 1 2, I didn't know what to expect. But I was welcomed to an amazing experience. You play as Isaac Clarke, who has been the protagonist in every Dead Space I believe, and you get well acquainted to him and his back story. This is the most visuallyDead Space 3 is a master of a game. Full of scares, action sequences and great visuals. As someone who has only glimpsed looks at Dead Space 1 2, I didn't know what to expect. But I was welcomed to an amazing experience. You play as Isaac Clarke, who has been the protagonist in every Dead Space I believe, and you get well acquainted to him and his back story. This is the most visually stunning game I've played this year by far, and that's an understatement. The sound effects displayed throughout the game are nothing short of horrifying, this is the biggest seller in my point. The areas and enemies are all unique and take certain strategies to take them down, which ever way you choose, limb by limb. Small side quests have small stories and give a lot in terms of rewards. If you haven't picked this game up yet, I'd advise you at least try it, just to witness Visceral Game's masterpiece at work Expand
  31. Feb 14, 2013

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.